Genomes and Genes
tumor virus infections
Summary: Infections produced by oncogenic viruses. The infections caused by DNA viruses are less numerous but more diverse than those caused by the RNA oncogenic viruses.
Publications284 found, 100 shown here
- Trends in head and neck cancer incidence in relation to smoking prevalence: an emerging epidemic of human papillomavirus-associated cancers?Erich M Sturgis
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 110:1429-35. 2007..To hasten the reduction of HPV-16 prevalence in the population, widespread vaccination of adolescent and young adult males should also be considered...
- Clonal integration of a polyomavirus in human Merkel cell carcinomaHuichen Feng
Molecular Virology Program, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh, 5117 Centre Avenue, Suite 1 8, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Science 319:1096-100. 2008..Thus, MCV may be a contributing factor in the pathogenesis of MCC...
- Seroprevalence of human polyomavirus 9 and cross-reactivity to African green monkey-derived lymphotropic polyomavirusFranziska Trusch
Division of Viral Infections, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
J Gen Virol 93:698-705. 2012....
- A novel human polyomavirus closely related to the african green monkey-derived lymphotropic polyomavirusNelly Scuda
Division of Viral Infections, Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Virol 85:4586-90. 2011..The virus was tentatively named human polyomavirus 9 (HPyV9). The previously observed seroreactivity to LPV in human populations might find a partial explanation in the circulation of HPyV9...
- Detection of an infectious retrovirus, XMRV, in blood cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndromeVincent C Lombardi
Whittemore Peterson Institute, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Science 326:585-9. 2009..These findings raise the possibility that XMRV may be a contributing factor in the pathogenesis of CFS...
- Human polyomaviruses in disease and cancerTina Dalianis
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Cancer Center Karolinska R8 01, Karolinska University Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Virology 437:63-72. 2013..The discovery of the new HPyVs has revived interest in the Polyomaviridae and their association to human disease and cancer. In this review, we summarize knowledge about this expanding family of human pathogens...
- African great apes are naturally infected with polyomaviruses closely related to Merkel cell polyomavirusFabian H Leendertz
Research Group Emerging Zoonoses, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
J Virol 85:916-24. 2011..This, together with the fact that humans in West and Central Africa frequently hunt and butcher primates, may point toward further MCPyV-like strains spreading to, or already existing in, our species...
- Natural history of cervical human papillomavirus infection in young women: a longitudinal cohort studyC B Woodman
Centre for Cancer Epidemiology, University of Manchester, Withington, M20 4QL, Manchester, UK
Lancet 357:1831-6. 2001..We studied the natural history of incident cervical HPV infection and its relation to the development of CIN...
- MCV and Merkel cell carcinoma: a molecular success storyReety Arora
Molecular Virology Program, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Curr Opin Virol 2:489-98. 2012..In four years, the cause, diagnosis and therapy for an intractable cancer has been changed due to the molecular discovery of MCV...
- Merkel cell polyomavirus-specific CD8⁺ and CD4⁺ T-cell responses identified in Merkel cell carcinomas and bloodJayasri G Iyer
Department of Medicine Dermatology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:6671-80. 2011..We sought to characterize T-cell responses directed against viral proteins that drive this cancer as a step toward immunotherapy...
- Human Merkel cell polyomavirus infection I. MCV T antigen expression in Merkel cell carcinoma, lymphoid tissues and lymphoid tumorsMasahiro Shuda
Molecular Virology Program, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Int J Cancer 125:1243-9. 2009..As with some of the other human polyomaviruses, lymphocytes may serve as a tissue reservoir for MCV infection, but hematolymphoid malignancies associated with MCC are unlikely to be caused by MCV...
- HPV-associated head and neck cancer: a virus-related cancer epidemicShanthi Marur
Department of Oncology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Lancet Oncol 11:781-9. 2010....
- Prospective study of polyomavirus type BK replication and nephropathy in renal-transplant recipientsHans H Hirsch
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 347:488-96. 2002....
- Polyomavirus BKHans H Hirsch
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals Basel, and Transplantation Virology Laboratory, Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Basel, Switzerland
Lancet Infect Dis 3:611-23. 2003..Case series suggest that cidofovir might be effective, especially when combined with reduced immunosuppression...
- Suppression of acute anti-friend virus CD8+ T-cell responses by coinfection with lactate dehydrogenase-elevating virusShelly J Robertson
Laboratory of Persistent Viral Diseases, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, MT 59840, USA
J Virol 82:408-18. 2008..Coinfection of mice with LDV and FV provides a well-defined, natural host model for such studies...
- Identification of a third human polyomavirusTobias Allander
Laboratory for Clinical Microbiology, Department of Clinical Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology, L2 02, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
J Virol 81:4130-6. 2007..This finding further illustrates how unbiased screening of respiratory tract samples can be used for the discovery of diverse virus types...
- BK virus and human cancer: innocent until proven guiltyJohanna R Abend
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5620, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 19:252-60. 2009..Due to the lack of conclusive causality data from these studies, there does not appear to be a definitive association between BKV and human cancers...
- Frequent detection of polyomaviruses in stool samples from hospitalized childrenJohn A Vanchiere
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Infectious Diseases, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Infect Dis 192:658-64. 2005..Conclusions. Polyomaviruses are frequently present in stool samples from hospitalized children. These findings suggest that fecal-oral transmission of BKV may play a role in the ubiquity of infection...
- Merkel cell polyomavirus DNA sequences in the buffy coats of healthy blood donorsCecilia Pancaldi
Department of Morphology and Embryology, Section of Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy and
Blood 117:7099-101. 2011....
- Trichodysplasia spinulosa is characterized by active polyomavirus infectionSiamaque Kazem
Department of Medical Microbiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Virol 53:225-30. 2012..Seroepidemiological studies indicate that TSPyV is ubiquitous and latently infects 70% of the healthy individuals...
- Baseline cytology, human papillomavirus testing, and risk for cervical neoplasia: a 10-year cohort analysisMark E Sherman
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:46-52. 2003..We evaluated whether simultaneous screening with a Pap test and human papillomavirus (HPV) testing is useful for assessing the risk for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) 3 or cervical cancer...
- Immune control of mammalian gamma-herpesviruses: lessons from murid herpesvirus-4P G Stevenson
Division of Virology, Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, UK
J Gen Virol 90:2317-30. 2009..Reducing the infectivity of herpesvirus carriers in this way could be a useful adjunct to vaccinating naive individuals with attenuated mutants...
- Incidence of BK with tacrolimus versus cyclosporine and impact of preemptive immunosuppression reductionDaniel C Brennan
Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Am J Transplant 5:582-94. 2005..Viruria was highest with FK506-MMF and lowest with CyA-MMF. Monitoring and preemptive withdrawal of immunosuppression were associated with resolution of viremia and absence of BK nephropathy without acute rejection or graft loss...
- 2001 Consensus Guidelines for the management of women with cervical cytological abnormalitiesThomas C Wright
Department of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, Room 16 404, P and S Bldg, 630 W 168th St, New York, NY 10032, USA
JAMA 287:2120-9. 2002..To provide evidence-based consensus guidelines for the management of women with cervical cytological abnormalities and cervical cancer precursors...
- Age-specific seroprevalence of Merkel cell polyomavirus, BK virus, and JC virusRaphael P Viscidi
Department of Pediatrics, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Blalock 1153, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 18:1737-43. 2011..In agreement with results from other studies, we found an association between MCPyV seropositivity and MCC, and higher levels of serum MCPyV capsid antibodies in MCC patients than in controls...
- Seroepidemiology of the newly found trichodysplasia spinulosa-associated polyomavirusTingting Chen
Department of Virology, Haartman Institute, Finland
J Infect Dis 204:1523-6. 2011..TSV circulates widely in the human population and primary exposure is extensive in childhood, beginning at age 1-2 years...
- Virologic versus cytologic triage of women with equivocal Pap smears: a meta-analysis of the accuracy to detect high-grade intraepithelial neoplasiaMarc Arbyn
European Network for Cervical Cancer Screening and Unit for Evaluation of Cancer Screening Programmes, Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:280-93. 2004..We performed a meta-analysis to assess the accuracy of human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA testing as an alternative to repeat cytology in women who had equivocal results on a previous Pap smear...
- HPV co-factors related to the development of cervical cancer: results from a population-based study in Costa RicaA Hildesheim
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
Br J Cancer 84:1219-26. 2001..Among HPV-positive women, multiparity and smoking are risk factors for HSIL/CA. Oral contraceptive use may be associated with HSIL/CA in subgroups of women...
- Human polyomaviruses and other human viruses in neuroendocrine tumorsMarkus Schmitt
Research Program Infection and Cancer, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 242, Heidelberg, Germany
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20:1558-61. 2011....
- Mammalian target of rapamycin signal inhibitors could play a role in the treatment of BK polyomavirus nephritis in renal allograft recipientsA I Sanchez Fructuoso
Department of Nephrology, Hospital Clinico Universitario San Carlos, Madrid, Spain
Transpl Infect Dis 13:584-91. 2011..Furthermore, target levels of immunosuppressive drugs are poorly defined, as are criteria for replacing one immunosuppressive agent with another...
- From Stockholm to Malawi: recent developments in studying human polyomavirusesMariet C W Feltkamp
Department of Medical Microbiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Gen Virol 94:482-96. 2013..This review summarizes the recent developments in studying the novel human polyomaviruses, and touches upon several aspects of polyomavirus virology, pathogenicity, epidemiology and phylogeny...
- Serological evidence of vertical transmission of JC and BK polyomaviruses in humansRenzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University Amedeo Avogadro of the Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
J Gen Virol 92:1044-50. 2011..These results suggest JC virus and BK virus can be transmitted from mother to newborn during pregnancy or soon after birth...
- Human papillomavirus and the long-term risk of cervical neoplasiaYolanda van der Graaf
Julius Center for General Practice and Patient Oriented Research, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Epidemiol 156:158-64. 2002..3, 35.7) for HPV positivity in general, 5.4 (95% CI: 1.5, 19.5) for infection with low-risk HPV genotypes, 24.0 (95% CI: 12.4, 46.4) for high-risk HPV genotypes, and 104.8 (95% CI: 29.5, 372.7) for HPV type 16...
- JC virus-associated nephropathy in a renal transplant recipient and comparative analysis of previous casesG Kantarci
Department of Nephrology, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Transpl Infect Dis 13:89-92. 2011....
- BK virus: opportunity makes a pathogenHans H Hirsch
Department of Clinical Biological Sciences, University of Basel, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 41:354-60. 2005..This article discusses current views of pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment...
- Improved detection suggests all Merkel cell carcinomas harbor Merkel polyomavirusScott J Rodig
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Clin Invest 122:4645-53. 2012..These results indicate that MCPyV is present in MCC tumors more frequently than previously reported and that mutations in TP53 tend to occur in MCC tumors that fail to express MCPyV large T antigen...
- Polyomavirus infection in a free-ranging California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) with intestinal T-cell lymphomaKathleen M Colegrove
Zoological Pathology Program, University of Illinois, Loyola University Medical Center, Building 101, Room 0745, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 22:628-32. 2010..The relationship, if any, between polyomavirus infection and the other disease processes in this sea lion is not known, but it is considered unlikely that the polyomavirus induced the lymphoma...
- Prevalence and stability of human serum antibodies to simian virus 40 VP1 virus-like particlesAnnika Lundstig
Department of Medical Microbiology, Malmo University Hospital, Entrance 78, 20502 Malmo, Sweden
J Gen Virol 86:1703-8. 2005..In conclusion, there is a low prevalence of SV40-specific antibodies in the Nordic population. The SV40 antibodies appear to have a low stability over time and their origin is not clear...
- Case-control study of Merkel cell polyomavirus infection and cutaneous squamous cell carcinomaDana E Rollison
Department of Cancer Epidemiology, Moffitt Cancer Center, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33647, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 21:74-81. 2012..Merkel cell polyomavirus (MCV) DNA has been reported in 0% to 25% of squamous cell carcinomas (SCC) occurring in immunocompetent individuals. We conducted the first serologic case-control study of MCV and SCC...
- Next-generation sequencing for simultaneous determination of human papillomavirus load, subtype, and associated genomic copy number changes in tumorsCaroline Conway
Section of Experimental Therapeutics, Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, United Kingdom
J Mol Diagn 14:104-11. 2012..Thus, the use of next-generation sequencing for the detection of HPV provides a multiplicity of data with clinical significance in a single test...
- The DNA damage response in viral-induced cellular transformationP A Nikitin
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Center for Virology, Duke University Medical Center, 213 Research Dr, CARL 424, DUMC 3054, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Br J Cancer 106:429-35. 2012..This review will focus on the interplay between oncogenic viruses and the DDR with respect to cellular checkpoint control and transformation...
- Prevalence, incidence, and type-specific persistence of human papillomavirus in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive and HIV-negative womenL Ahdieh
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Infect Dis 184:682-90. 2001..9 (95% CI, 1.5-2.3) times greater if the subject had a CD4 cell count <200 cells/microL (vs. >500 cells/microL). Thus, HIV infection and immunosuppression play an important role in modulating the natural history of HPV infection...
- A new common integration site, Int7, for the mouse mammary tumor virus in mouse mammary tumors identifies a gene whose product has furin-like and thrombospondin-like sequencesWilliam Lowther
Mammary Biology and Tumorigenesis Laboratory, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Virol 79:10093-6. 2005..Reverse transcriptase PCR results demonstrated that each of the viral insertions led to elevated expression of the presumed target flanking genes...
- BK polyomavirus: emerging pathogenShauna M Bennett
Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan Medical School, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, 5724 Medical Science II, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5620, USA
Microbes Infect 14:672-83. 2012..In this review, we discuss the clinical relevance, effects on the host, virus life cycle, and current treatment protocols...
- History and current concepts in the pathogenesis of PMLEugene O Major
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine and Neuroscience, NINDS, Building 10, Room 3B14, 10 Center Drive, MSC 1296, Bethesda, MD 20892 1296, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 78:S3-7. 2011..The emergence of PML in patients treated with natalizumab and other immune-altering agents supports this observation and provides new insights into the pathogenic mechanisms of JCV infection...
- Presence, quantitation and characterization of JC virus in the urine of Italian immunocompetent subjectsAndrea Rossi
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine and Biotechnology, Don C Gnocchi Foundation ONLUS, IRCCS, Milano, Italy
J Med Virol 79:408-12. 2007..The lack of correlation between JCV DNA detection and the presence of squamous cells in urine sediment indicates that viruria is regulated by the life cycle of JCV. Thus, the virus is eliminated as consequence of its reactivation...
- A comparative study of Merkel cell, BK and JC polyomavirus infections in renal transplant recipients and healthy subjectsMohamed I Husseiny
Division of Translational Vaccine Research, Department of Virology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010 3000, USA
J Clin Virol 49:137-40. 2010..Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) is a rare skin cancer associated with immunosuppression and the integration of Merkel cell polyomavirus (MCPyV) DNA into the tumor cell genome. Little is known about the natural history of MCPyV infection...
- Asymptomatic primary Merkel cell polyomavirus infection among adultsYanis L Tolstov
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 17:1371-80. 2011..In adults, MCV is typically an asymptomatic, common, and commensal viral infection that initiates rare cancers after virus (rather than host cell) mutations...
- The association of human papillomavirus 16/18 infection with lung cancer among nonsmoking Taiwanese womenY W Cheng
Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical and Dental College, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Cancer Res 61:2799-803. 2001..The high prevalence of HPV 16/18 infection may explain to a certain extent why Taiwanese women nonsmokers had a higher lung cancer mortality rate...
- Merkel cell polyomavirus expression in merkel cell carcinomas and its absence in combined tumors and pulmonary neuroendocrine carcinomasKlaus J Busam
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:1378-85. 2009..It labels the majority of MCCs, but fails to react with pulmonary neuroendocrine carcinomas. We also found that neuroendocrine carcinomas of the skin arising in association with a squamous cell carcinoma seem to be independent of MCV...
- Murid herpesvirus-4 exploits dendritic cells to infect B cellsMiguel Gaspar
Division of Virology, Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002346. 2011..In vitro MuHV-4 dramatically altered the DC cytoskeleton, suggesting that it manipulates DC migration and shape in order to spread. MuHV-4 therefore uses DCs to colonize B cells...
- Genotypes of JC virus in East, Central and Southwest EuropeH T Agostini
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Freiburg, Killianstr. 5, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
J Gen Virol 82:1221-331. 2001..Interestingly, neither the Gitanos in Spain, nor Sinti or Roma in Germany or Hungary showed the Type 2 or Type 7 genotype that might be expected if their origins were in an Asian population...
- Molecular epidemiology of KI and WU polyomaviruses in infants with acute respiratory disease and in adult hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipientsMaurizia Debiaggi
Department of Morphological and Clinical Sciences, Section of Microbiology, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Med Virol 82:153-6. 2010..The results suggest that WU/KIPyVs have a limited circulation in Italy and a low pathogenic potential in young children. Brief and asymptomatic infection can occur in hematopoietic transplant recipients...
- Human papillomavirus and oral cancer: the International Agency for Research on Cancer multicenter studyRolando Herrero
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France rherrero amnet co cr
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1772-83. 2003..To investigate these associations, we conducted a multicenter case-control study of cancer of the oral cavity and oropharynx in nine countries...
- Update on human polyomaviruses and cancerOle Gjoerup
Cancer Virology Program, Hillman Cancer Research Pavilion, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Adv Cancer Res 106:1-51. 2010..We further present a discussion on advances made in SV40 as the prototypic model, which has and will continue to inform our understanding about viruses and cancer...
- The role of polyomaviruses in human diseaseMengxi Jiang
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
Virology 384:266-73. 2009..This review describes the general aspects of human polyomavirus infections and pathogenicity. Current topics of investigation and future directions in the field are also discussed...
- Seroprevalence of trichodysplasia spinulosa-associated polyomavirusEls van der Meijden
Department of Medical Microbiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Emerg Infect Dis 17:1355-63. 2011..In 80 renal transplant patients, seroprevalence was 89%. Infection with the new TSV polyomavirus is common and occurs primarily at a young age...
- HIV-associated lymphomas and gamma-herpesvirusesAntonino Carbone
Department of Pathology, National Cancer Institute of Milan, Milan, Italy
Blood 113:1213-24. 2009....
- Prevalence and stability of antibodies to the BK and JC polyomaviruses: a long-term longitudinal study of AustraliansAnnika Antonsson
Genetics and Population Health Division, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Gen Virol 91:1849-53. 2010..Thus, a single measure can be used as a reasonable indicator of long-term antibody status in epidemiological studies aiming to understand associations between polyomaviruses and disease...
- Merkel cell polyomavirus infection, large T antigen, retinoblastoma protein and outcome in Merkel cell carcinomaHarri Sihto
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Biomedicum Helsinki, Finland
Clin Cancer Res 17:4806-13. 2011..Polyomaviruses repress tumor suppressor proteins, thus influencing cell-cycle progression, but the effect of MCPyV on the key cell-cycle regulating proteins is poorly understood...
- Intracellular versus cell surface assembly of retroviral pseudotypes is determined by the cellular localization of the viral glycoprotein, its capacity to interact with Gag, and the expression of the Nef proteinVirginie Sandrin
INSERM U412, Lyon Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, and IFR128 BioSciences Lyon Gerland, Lyon, F 69007 France
J Biol Chem 281:528-42. 2006..Finally, the expression of Nef proteins specifically enhanced the incorporation of the retroviral GPs by increasing their localization in late endosomes...
- Human polyomavirus related to African green monkey lymphotropic polyomavirusVirginie Sauvage
Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 17:1364-70. 2011..These results provide information on the viral ecology of human skin and raise new questions regarding the pathology of virus-associated skin disorders...
- BK virus nephritis after renal transplantationS Hariharan
Division of Nephrology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Kidney Int 69:655-62. 2006..The source of BKV infection (donor as opposed to recipient), the role of host humoral, and cellular immunity to BKV, and the role of alloimmune activation in renal graft to the occurrence of nephritis are discussed in this review...
- Association of human papillomavirus type 58 variant with the risk of cervical cancerPaul K S Chan
Department of Microbiology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:1249-53. 2002..038, two-sided Mann-Whitney U test). Thus, HPV58 variants carrying E7 T20I/G63S substitutions may be associated with an increased risk for cervical cancer...
- A mouse model for infectious mononucleosisEmilio Flano
Trudeau Institute, Saranac Lake, NY 12983, USA
Immunol Res 25:201-17. 2002..The focus of this article will be to highlight the similarities and differences in the infectious mononucleosis syndrome associated with human and murine gamma-herpesviruses...
- Deregulation of DNA damage signal transduction by herpesvirus latency-associated M2Xiaozhen Liang
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, New England Primate Research Center, Harvard Medical School, Southborough, MA 01772, USA
J Virol 80:5862-74. 2006..Our results suggest that gammaHV68 M2 blocks apoptosis-mediated intracellular innate immunity, which might ultimately contribute to its role in latent infection...
- Human Merkel cell polyomavirus infection II. MCV is a common human infection that can be detected by conformational capsid epitope immunoassaysYanis L Tolstov
Molecular Virology Program, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Int J Cancer 125:1250-6. 2009..Our study demonstrates that MCV is a widespread but previously unrecognized human infection...
- Characterization of a live-attenuated retroviral vaccine demonstrates protection via immune mechanismsU Dittmer
Laboratory of Persistent Viral Diseases, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Hamilton, Montana 59840, USA
J Virol 72:6554-8. 1998..The results indicated that immune mechanisms rather than viral interference mediated protection...
- Potential transmission of human polyomaviruses through the gastrointestinal tract after exposure to virions or viral DNAS Bofill-Mas
Department of Microbiology, Biology School, University of Barcelona, Barcelona 08028, Catalonia, Spain
J Virol 75:10290-9. 2001..Since most humans are infected with JCV and BKV, these data indicate that the ingestion of contaminated water or food could represent a possible portal of entrance of these viruses or polyomavirus DNA into the human population...
- Differential kinetics of antigen-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cell responses in the regression of retrovirus-induced sarcomasKoen Schepers
Department of Immunology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Immunol 169:3191-9. 2002....
- Failure to detect human papillomavirus DNA in malignant epithelial neoplasms of conjunctiva by polymerase chain reactionHock Liew Eng
Department of Pathology, Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University and Memorial Hospital, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Clin Pathol 117:429-36. 2002..In contrast, malignant conjunctival carcinomas are not associated with HPV infection; other pathogenic mechanisms, such as UV light, probably are more important in the cause of these malignant lesions...
- HPV DNA testing of self-collected vaginal samples compared with cytologic screening to detect cervical cancerT C Wright
Department of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
JAMA 283:81-6. 2000..In many other regions of the world, there is only limited access to cervical cancer screening...
- Identification of viral infections in the prostate and evaluation of their association with cancerMargarita L Martinez-Fierro
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, University Hospital Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Monterrey 64460, Mexico
BMC Cancer 10:326. 2010..Association studies with the R462Q allele and non-XMRV viruses have not been reported. We assessed associations between prostate cancer, prostate viral infections, and the RNASEL 462Q allele in Mexican cancer patients and controls...
- Human papillomavirus infections and risks of cervical cancer: what do women know?Marian Pitts
Australian Research Centre for Sex Health and Society, La Trobe University, 215 Franklin Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia
Health Educ Res 17:706-14. 2002..It is essential to improve women's understanding of this area in the context of plans to include screening for HPV in the UK's national cervical screening programme...
- Real-time quantitative PCR demonstrates low prevalence of human papillomavirus type 16 in premalignant and malignant lesions of the oral cavityPatrick K Ha
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:1203-9. 2002....
- The global health burden of infection-associated cancers in the year 2002Donald Maxwell Parkin
Clinical Trials Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit, University of Oxford, Headington, UK
Int J Cancer 118:3030-44. 2006..The attributable fraction at the specific sites varies from 100% of cervix cancers attributable to the papilloma viruses to a tiny proportion (0.4%) of liver cancers (worldwide) caused by liver flukes...
- XMRV is present in malignant prostatic epithelium and is associated with prostate cancer, especially high-grade tumorsRobert Schlaberg
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Columbia University Medical Center, 622 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:16351-6. 2009..Our observations provide evidence for an association of XMRV with malignant cells and with more aggressive tumors...
- Human papillomavirus in oral exfoliated cells and risk of head and neck cancerElaine M Smith
Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:449-55. 2004....
- Clinical course of polyoma virus nephropathy in 67 renal transplant patientsEmilio Ramos
Departments of Medicine, Pathology, Pharmacy Services, and Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2145-51. 2002..Although multiple factors probably play a role in the development of PVN, judicious use of immunosuppressive agents is indicated to minimize the occurrence of this infection...
- Wildlife cancer: a conservation perspectiveDenise McAloose
Pathology and Disease Investigation, Global Health Program, Wildlife Conservation Society, 2300 Southern Boulevard, Bronx, New York, New York 10460, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 9:517-26. 2009..It is also clear that anthropogenic activities contribute to the development of neoplasia in wildlife species, such as beluga whales and bottom-dwelling fish, making them sensitive sentinels of disturbed environments...
- Papillomaviruses causing cancer: evasion from host-cell control in early events in carcinogenesisH zur Hausen
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
J Natl Cancer Inst 92:690-8. 2000..Modifications in host-cell genes, most likely engaged in the control of HPV gene expression in proliferating cells, emerge as important events in HPV-mediated carcinogenesis...
- A systematic review of the role of human papilloma virus (HPV) testing within a cervical screening programme: summary and conclusionsJ Cuzick
Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Epidemiology, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, London, UK
Br J Cancer 83:561-5. 2000..A range of issues including the age to start and stop screening, the appropriate screening interval, the role of self-sampling for HPV testing and the choice of primary test (HPV and/or cytology) require further evaluation...
- Human polyomavirus type 1 (BK virus) agnoprotein is abundantly expressed but immunologically ignoredDavid Leuenberger
Transplantation Virology, Institute for Medical Microbiology, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Basel, Petersplatz 10, CH 4003 Basel, Switzerland
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:959-68. 2007..We conclude that BKV agnoprotein, though abundantly expressed in vivo, is poorly recognized immunologically...
- Reducing immunosuppression preserves allograft function in presumptive and definitive polyomavirus-associated nephropathyS Schaub
Clinic for Transplantation Immunology and Nephrology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Am J Transplant 10:2615-23. 2010..6 mg/dl and 1.3 mg/dl, respectively. We conclude that screening for BKV-replication and reduction of immunosuppression is an effective strategy to preserve medium-term allograft function even in patients developing definitive PyVAN...
- Polyomavirus disease in renal transplantation: review of pathological findings and diagnostic methodsCinthia B Drachenberg
Department of Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Hum Pathol 36:1245-55. 2005..Also discussed in the context of their clinical significance are the main virological and epidemiological aspects of the BK, JC, and SV40 polyomavirus infections...
- BKV-DNA and JCV-DNA in CSF of patients with suspected meningitis or encephalitisA Behzad-Behbahani
Clinical Virology Section, Organ Transplantation Research Center, Namazee Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Infection 31:374-8. 2003..PCR-microplate hybridization method was employed for the detection of BKV-DNA or JCV-DNA in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) specimens from patients with suspected meningitis or encephalitis...
- A prospective longitudinal study of polyomavirus shedding in lung-transplant recipientsLora D Thomas
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
J Infect Dis 195:442-9. 2007..Polyomavirus infection causes renal dysfunction after kidney transplantation, but it has not been thoroughly investigated in nonrenal solid-organ transplantation...
- Association of JC virus with tubulointerstitial nephritis in a renal allograft recipientMei Chin Wen
Department of Pathology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
J Med Virol 72:675-8. 2004..Molecular examination using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and DNA sequencing revealed that the JCV was involved in the nephritis. The results indicated that JCV may be associated with tubulointerstitial nephritis...
- Organogenic role of B lymphocytes in mucosal immunityT V Golovkina
Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Science 286:1965-8. 1999..The lack of M cells abrogated infection with a milk-borne retrovirus. Thus, in addition to secretion of antibodies and presentation of antigens, B cells are important for organogenesis of the mucosal immune barriers...
- HPV oligonucleotide microarray-based detection of HPV genotypes in cervical neoplastic lesionsChan Joo Kim
Division of Gynecologic Oncology and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Gynecol Oncol 89:210-7. 2003..In particular, we undertook the evaluation of the clinical efficacy of the HPV oligonucleotide microarray for detecting HPV in cervical neoplastic lesions...
- BK virus infection is associated with hematuria and renal impairment in recipients of allogeneic hematopoetic stem cell transplantsPeter H O'Donnell
Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, The University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60637, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15:1038-1048.e1. 2009..Investigation of whether prophylaxis against, or treatment of, BKV in the post-HSCT setting mitigates the associated morbidities, especially kidney injury, warrants prospective evaluation...
- Cervical neoplasia and repeated positivity of human papillomavirus infection in human immunodeficiency virus-seropositive and -seronegative womenL Ahdieh
Department of Epidemiology, School of Hygiene and Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Epidemiol 151:1148-57. 2000..014) was fully explained by repeated HPV positivity induced by HIV infection (p = 0.648). Reversal of immunosuppression following potent antiretroviral therapy must be expected to have a dramatic impact on HIV-related CIN...
- Genome analysis of the new human polyomavirusesMarijke Van Ghelue
Department of Medical Genetics, University Hospital Northern Norway, Tromsø, Norway
Rev Med Virol 22:354-77. 2012....
- Unique BK virus non-coding control region (NCCR) variants in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients with and without hemorrhagic cystitisMichael J Carr
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, University of Dublin, Trinity College, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Med Virol 78:485-93. 2006..Architectural rearrangements in the NCCRs of BKV did not appear to be a prerequisite for development of hemorrhagic cystitis in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients...
- Polyomavirus polymerase chain reaction as a surrogate marker of polyomavirus-associated nephropathyHelen B Viscount
Division of Clinical Microbiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Transplantation 84:340-5. 2007..A noninvasive assay that can guide the evaluation of PVAN would be of clinical value. We compared the utility of BK virus (BKV) polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and urine cytology in screening for concurrent PVAN...
- Early BK polyomavirus (BKV) reactivation in donor kidney is a risk factor for development of BKV-associated nephropathyBaljit K Saundh
Microbiology and Renal Unit, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 207:137-41. 2013..Thus, early testing of urine samples from renal transplant recipients may identify those at risk for BKV-associated nephropathy...
- Cervical and anal HPV infections in HIV positive women and menSilvia de Sanjose
Department of Epidemiology and Cancer Registry, Catalan Institute of Oncology, Gran Via Km 2 7, 08907 Hospitalet de Ll, Barcelona, Spain
Virus Res 89:201-11. 2002..Full screening for CIN remains necessary in HIV-positive women and it is likely that screening for AIN will be beneficial as well to prevent invasive anogenital cancer in long-term AIDS survivors...
- Papilloma and polyoma DNA tumor virus sequences in female genital tumorsFernanda Martini
Department of Morphology and Embryology, Section of Histology and Embryology, School of Medicine, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Cancer Invest 22:697-705. 2004..In addition, HPV and PYV may complement each other in infecting human genital tissues...
- The first case of JC virus allograft nephropathyAmir Kazory
Transplantation 76:1653-5. 2003
- Human polyoma viruses and disease with emphasis on clinical BK and JCRaghavender Boothpur
Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, MO, United States
J Clin Virol 47:306-12. 2010..There are no known effective antiviral agents for any of the polyoma viruses...
- JC virus variant associated with cerebellar atrophy in a patient with AIDSDamien Roux
Laboratoire de Microbiologie, Hopital Saint Louis, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 49:2196-9. 2011..Our data underline the importance of searching for JCV in HIV-infected patients with cerebellar disorders and suggest that mutations in the regulatory region may be involved in cerebellar degeneration...
- Immune Response to Polyomavirus InfectionParmjeet S Randhawa; Fiscal Year: 2010..This, in turn, will help us to better predict the clinical course of the disease in individual patients, and help devise more effective forms of anti-viral therapy. ..
- Transcripitonal and Genetic Profiles in HNSCCsElaine Smith; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- International Collaborative HNC ResearchElaine Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..This aim is to determine whether there is an easily administered, sensitive biomarker that can predict HPV-HR status in HNC tumors prior to therapy.. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY AND MECHANISMS IN ORAL CANCERElaine Smith; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Polyoma Virus-Specific CD8+ T CellsARON LUKACHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Antiviral Therapy for Polyomavirus InfectionARON LUKACHER; Fiscal Year: 2008..g., FDA-approved Gleevec) limit polyomavirus infection, a critical prelude for their potential therapeutic use to prevent polyomavirus reactivation in immunosuppressed individuals. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SV40 Pathogenesis of Human InfectionsJANET BUTEL; Fiscal Year: 2008..This new information will allow better understanding of the biology of SV40 human infections and may provide insights into the mechanisms of SV40 involvement in human malignancies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DNA FORMS OF MURINE LEUKEMIA VIRUSESFAYTH YOSHIMURA; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of these studies will enhance our understanding of the role of apoptosis in the development of neoplastic disease. ..
- Hamster Model for AIDS LymphomasJANET BUTEL; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, this project may provide new insights into lymphomagenesis in general and may lead to the development of new diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to this malignancy. ..
- RANDOMIZED TRIAL OF BREAST SELF EXAMINATION IN SHANGHAIDavid Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2001..No further intervention activities are proposed. After 10 years of follow-up, over 2.6 million woman-years will have accrued, and this trial will have 80% power to detect a reduction in breast cancer mortality of 30%. ..
- DIET, CELL PROLIFERATION AND BREAST CANCER IN SHANGHAIDavid Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2001..Also unlike prior epidemiologic studies of diet and breast cancer, in the proposed investigation the primary end points are various indices of cell proliferation. ..
- Polymorphisms of INS/IGF Signal Pathways & Female CancerGloria Ho; Fiscal Year: 2006..This genetic study, in conjunction with the ongoing serological study, will provide a comprehensive examination of the role of the insulin/IGF system in tumorigenes ..
- Aspirin, Inflammation Markers, and Colorectal AdenomaGloria Ho; Fiscal Year: 2006..It may also identify target populations (e.g., those with high levels of proinflammatory cytokines) who may benefit most from chemoprevention of aspirin. ..
- Pro & Anti-Inflammatory Cytokines in Colorectal CancerGLORIA YF HO; Fiscal Year: 2010..These high-risk individuals may benefit from prophylactic NSAIDS for prevention of colorectal cancer. ..
- SPONTANEOUS REGRESSION BIOMARKERS IN CERVIX DYSPLASIAGloria Ho; Fiscal Year: 2003..DNA typing of class II HLA alleles by PCR will be performed using blood collected at baseline. Associations between these factors and regression of CIN will be assessed by appropriate univariate and multivariate analyses. ..
- Changes in the Cornified Cell Envelope in HPV InfectionDarron Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- New World Oncogenic LymphocryptovirusesFrederick Wang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific aim #3. Study the disease association, epidemiology, and evolution of New World LCV. Specific aim #4. Develop an experimental Ca1HV-3 animal model to study the pathogenesis of persistent infection and virus-induced oncogenesis. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of N. gonorrhoeaeRaphael Viscidi; Fiscal Year: 2006..gonorrhea in the core. The third aim is to determine whether gender, age, or disseminated versus local infection influences the population genetic structure of N. gonorrhea. ..
- BIOMARKERS FOR ANAL CANCERStephen Hawes; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CHEMOTHERAPY DECISIONS AND OUTCOMES FOR THE ELDERLYJeanne Mandelblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005..Interventions derived from this project, hold the promise of improving the quality of care for the fastest growing segment of the breast cancer population. ..
- The Acquisition of Bacterial Vaginosis in LesbiansJeanne Marrazzo; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lesbian couples provide a unique opportunity to conduct comparative studies of vaginal microbial ecology in sex partners, and to directly analyze determinants of transmission. ..
- ANTIBODIES TO HPV CAPSID PROTEINS AS IMMUNITY CORRELATESRaphael Viscidi; Fiscal Year: 2001..of incident HPV infection and/or disease? (6) In HIV seropositive women, is the extent of immunodeficiency, as measured by CD4+ cell counts, inversely correlated with the degree of protection provided by pre-existing anti-VLP antibodies? ..
- Human Papillovirus Testing in AdolescentsJessica Kahn; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aim 5 To determine the cumulative prevalence and rates of persistence and regression of HPV infection, and correlation of HPV test results with cervicaI cytology, in the above sample of urban adolescent girls. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ORAL HIV 1 & 2 INFECTION IN HIGH RISK WOStephen Hawes; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MOLECULAR EPIDEMIOLOGY OF PERSISTENT HPV INFECTIONEduardo Franco; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Nested case-control study of JC virus infection and incident colorectal cancerDana Rollison; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dendritic Cells For Prevention of Islet Graft RejectionKarl Womer; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, our studies will be important to the development of clinical strategies designed to prolong the survival of islet cell transplants. ..
- Virus-Like Particle Vaccine for SARS-CoVRAPHAEL PAUL VISCIDI; Fiscal Year: 2010..The successful implementation of the proposed studies would provide a stepping-stone toward future clinical trials with a VLP-based SARS-CoV vaccine. ..
- Feasibility Study of Soccer InjuriesMelissa Schiff; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings from this research will be used to for the development of a large, prospective cohort study to evaluate potentially modifiable risk factors for injury among female youth soccer players. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Clinical & Cost Effectiveness of HPV Vaccination in the USSue Goldie; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- DIET AND DURATION OF CERVICAL HPV INFECTIONMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- HPV ETIOLOGY OF A SUBSET OF HEAD AND NECK CANCERSKeerti Shah; Fiscal Year: 2004..If HPV etiology is established for a subset of HNSCC, patients with these tumors may benefit from HPV-specific immunotherapies which are being evaluated for the treatment of invasive cervical cancer. ..
- REGULATION OF EBV TRANSCRIPTION IN BURKITT'S LYMPHOMASAMUEL SPECK; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Role of HPV16 E7/E2F6 interaction in viral oncogenesisMargaret McLaughlin Drubin; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will further the understanding of how viral proteins interact with cellular factors to induce cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- VIRAL TRANSCRIPTION IN EBV TRANSFORMED B CELLSSAMUEL SPECK; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aim 4. Analysis of Wp methylation during the establishment and maintenance of immortalizing latency in B cells - role of methylation in regulating Wp activity in lymphoblastoid cell lines. ..
- PRECLINICAL MODELS OF BREAST CANCERRobert Cardiff; Fiscal Year: 2003..The theme of the workshop is "High Throughput Phenotyping: From Mouse to Molecule in One Day!" It will allow the student to examine and compare the best and fastest phenotyping technology currently available. ..
- Inhibition of HIV by Novel Chimeric ReceptorsJonathan Allan; Fiscal Year: 2004..If successful, this strategy will have broad applications in immunotherapy and immune reconstitution against HIV-1. ..
- Leukoencephalopathy in HAART-treated HIV-1+ PatientsPasquale Ferrante; Fiscal Year: 2004..The use of DNA microarray technology will provide us with compelling information on the profile of cellular gene expression in immune cells of AIDS patients with fast and slow progressing PML, as well as those exhibiting NDLE. ..
- Effects of ART on Oral Epithelial Cell BiologyCraig Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..These processes are key to maintaining oral mucosal health in patients who are infected with HIV and for understanding how opportunistic infections develop despite the presence of ART. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cancer and Non-cancer Mortality in Meat Workers (1 RO1-OH 008687-01 A1 SOH)Eric Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2008..Infectious disease is a NIOSH priority area. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Acquisition and Natural History of Genital HPV InfectionLaura Koutsky; Fiscal Year: 2009..In summary, the long-range goal of this project is to improve the effectiveness of both vaccine-based and behavioral strategies for preventing HPV infection. ..
- Advances in Influenza Research - From Birds to Bench to BedsideDAVID WOODLAND; Fiscal Year: 2006..The goal of this meeting is to bring together virologists, immunologists and vaccine researchers to discuss recent advances in influenza research and to develop better measures to prevent and control influenza. ..
- BK Virus as a Co-Factor in Prostate CancerMichael Imperiale; Fiscal Year: 2009..If a role for BKV in prostate cancer exists, there is the possibility of developing therapeutics or vaccines that are specific for the virus, thereby reducing the morbidity, mortality, and even the incidence of this cancer. ..
- Gene Therapy for Islet Cell TransplantationManikkam Suthanthiran; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., perforin) and proinflammatory cytokines (e.g., interferon-gamma) while stimulating the expression of mRNA encoding anti-inflammatory cytokines (e.g., interleukin-4). ..
- CYCLOSPORINE, TGF BETA1, AND IMMUNOSUPPRESSIONManikkam Suthanthiran; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Protective Cell-Mediated Immunity Against Lethal H5N1 Influenza A VirusesPeter C Doherty; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies should allow us to develop a clear, mechanistic understanding of how to promote effective CMI against the H5N1 viruses. ..
- HRT USE AND RISK OF LOBULAR AND DUCTAL BREAST CANCERJanet Daling; Fiscal Year: 2004..of CHRT associated with alteration in the histologic characteristics, tumor cell proliferation, or expression of steroid hormone receptors, oncogenes, and cell cycle and cell death regulator proteins of lobular and ductal breast cancers? ..
- A Therapeutic Vaccine for HPV 16-Positive Head and Neck CancerMaura Gillison; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CD4+T cell immunity to respiratory virus infectionsDAVID WOODLAND; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Genetics of Susceptibility to MMTV-Induced Mammary TumorSusan Ross; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results obtained from these studies will greatly increase our understanding of the genetic mechanisms which viruses use to infect their hosts and how genetic resistance to such viruses in the hosts occurs. ..
- Adherence Interventions for Drug UsersAnn Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..Participants will be a multidisciplinary group of researchers and clinicians who are actively engaged in the study of adherence interventions among drug users and other vulnerable populations. ..
- Insulin and IGF In female colon, breast, uterine cancerHoward Strickler; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Regulation of CD8+ T cell responses to influenza virusDAVID WOODLAND; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BIOLOGY OF NEOPLASTIC TRANSFORMATION IN BREAST CANCERRobert Cardiff; Fiscal Year: 2005..The goal of this project is to develop a well-characterized model for breast cancer development and to dissect the molecular pathways involved in tumor formation. ..
- Body size, physical activity, and Hodgkin's disease riskSally Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Role of LIBC in Inflammatory Breast Cancer PhenotypeCelina Kleer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Also, understanding the role of WISP3 will shed light on the mechanisms of cancer development in general and serve as a model for other related CCN genes involved in carcinogenesis. ..
- Role of RNase L in the Biology of Prostate CancerRobert Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2008..The experiments described in this PROPOSAL describe a previously unexplored area of research that may bring us closer to the eventual goal of understanding a molecular basis for prostate cancer. ..
- THE ENDOTHELIAL CELL IN PATHOGENESIS OF TTPJeffrey Laurence; Fiscal Year: 2004..The model presented could also enable exploration of new therapeutic modalities for TTP, based upon modulation of specific apoptotic pathways. ..
- Identifying small molecule inhibitors of KSHV vFLIP-TRAF2 interactions.Ethel Cesarman; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HSP60 ABNORMALITIES IN SCHIZOPHRENIASaud Sadiq; Fiscal Year: 2001..Molecular studies will involve genomic and cDNA cloning of hsp60 from peripheral and brain tissue. Epitope mapping will be done by ELISA using overlapping peptides spanning the entire normal human hsp60 sequence. ..
- HPV Outcomes: Prevention Epidemiology and Surveillance (HOPES)Cosette Marie Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 2010..Image-based diagnostic standards will be critical to future population evaluations. ..
- DNA Methylation as a Risk Factor for Cervical NeoplasiaLong Fu Xi; Fiscal Year: 2009..Data from the proposed study will not only shed light on our understanding of the role of CpG methylation in development of cervical neoplasia but also help to better design future cervical cancer control programs. ..
- Pathobiology of SAIDS-Associated LymphomasLaura Levy; Fiscal Year: 2006..A clear understanding of the mechanisms by which these cytokines effect positive and negative growth regulation of 1) lymphoma cells could contribute to the development of therapeutic agents that modulate their action. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF HPV16/18 VARIANTS IN CERVICAL NEOPLASIALong Fu Xi; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed study is likely to make important contributions to our understanding of the role of HPV 16 and 18 variants in the pathogenesis of cervical cancer. ..
- Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJames Baraniuk; Fiscal Year: 2009..These methods and biomarkers may be of diagnostic value. They will be useful for assessing longitudinal changes in disease severity, phenotype, or the effects of treatment. ..
- CENTER FOR CANCER SIGNALING NETWORKSWalter Atwood; Fiscal Year: 2009..This award will fund the retention of a young assistant professor, enable the hiring of a research assistant and provide a reasonable budget for supplies. ..
- 2nd Symposium on Polyomaviruses and Human DiseaseWalter Atwood; Fiscal Year: 2007..The attendance is estimated at 80 people based on the success of the 1st International Symposium held last year in Italy. ..