Genomes and Genes
Summary: Virus diseases caused by members of the ALPHAVIRUS genus of the family TOGAVIRIDAE.
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- A single mutation in chikungunya virus affects vector specificity and epidemic potentialKonstantin A Tsetsarkin
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 3:e201. 2007..Due to the widespread distribution of Ae. albopictus, this mutation increases the potential for CHIKV to permanently extend its range into Europe and the Americas...
- Infection with chikungunya virus in Italy: an outbreak in a temperate regionG Rezza
Department of Infectious, Parasitic, and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Lancet 370:1840-6. 2007..Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), which is transmitted by Aedes spp mosquitoes, has recently caused several outbreaks on islands in the Indian Ocean and on the Indian subcontinent. We report on an outbreak in Italy...
- Chikungunya: a re-emerging virusFelicity J Burt
Department of Medical Microbiology and Virology, National Health Laboratory Services Universitas and University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Lancet 379:662-71. 2012..This Seminar focuses on the re-emergence of this disease, the clinical manifestations, pathogenesis of virus-induced arthralgia, diagnostic techniques, and various treatment modalities...
- Changing patterns of chikungunya virus: re-emergence of a zoonotic arbovirusAnn M Powers
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3150 Rampart Road, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
J Gen Virol 88:2363-77. 2007
- Two Chikungunya isolates from the outbreak of La Reunion (Indian Ocean) exhibit different patterns of infection in the mosquito, Aedes albopictusMarie Vazeille
Département de Virologie Chikungunya program, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 2:e1168. 2007..The implicated vector was Aedes albopictus. Here, we present the first study on the susceptibility of Ae. albopictus populations to sympatric CHIKV isolates from La Réunion Island and compare it to other virus/vector combinations...
- Genome microevolution of chikungunya viruses causing the Indian Ocean outbreakIsabelle Schuffenecker
Centre National de Référence des Arbovirus, Institut Pasteur, Lyon, France
PLoS Med 3:e263. 2006..Besides the arthralgic form, 123 patients with a confirmed chikungunya infection have developed severe clinical signs, i.e., neurological signs or fulminant hepatitis...
- Chikungunya disease in nonhuman primates involves long-term viral persistence in macrophagesKarine Labadie
CEA, Division of Immuno Virology Institute of Emerging Diseases and Innovative Therapies, Fontenay aux Roses, France
J Clin Invest 120:894-906. 2010..This model of CHIKV physiopathology should allow the development of new therapeutic and/or prophylactic strategies...
- Chikungunya, an epidemic arbovirosisGilles Pialoux
Hopital Tenon, Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Paris, France
Lancet Infect Dis 7:319-27. 2007..Plausible explanations include increased tourism, chikungunya virus introduction into a naive population, and viral mutation...
- Biology and pathogenesis of chikungunya virusOlivier Schwartz
Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, Paris 75724 Cedex 15, France
Nat Rev Microbiol 8:491-500. 2010..This Review highlights some of the most recent advances in our understanding of the biology of CHIKV and its interactions with the host...
- Chikungunya virus, southeastern FranceMarc Grandadam
Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 17:910-3. 2011..Sequence analysis of the viral genomes of imported and autochthonous isolates indicated new features for the potential emergence and spread of the virus in Europe...
- Chikungunya fever: an epidemiological review of a re-emerging infectious diseaseJ Erin Staples
Arboviral Diseases Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:942-8. 2009....
- A mouse model for Chikungunya: young age and inefficient type-I interferon signaling are risk factors for severe diseaseThérèse Couderc
Groupe Microorganismes et Barrières de l Hôte, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS Pathog 4:e29. 2008..The development of a permissive small animal model will expedite the testing of future vaccines and therapeutic candidates...
- Chikungunya virus arthritis in adult wild-type miceJoy Gardner
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health, Brisbane, Australia
J Virol 84:8021-32. 2010..This new mouse model of chikungunya virus disease thus provides insights into pathogenesis and a simple and convenient system to test potential new interventions...
- A virus-like particle vaccine for epidemic Chikungunya virus protects nonhuman primates against infectionWataru Akahata
Vaccine Research Center, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, US National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Med 16:334-8. 2010..Immunization with alphavirus VLP vaccines represents a strategy to contain the spread of CHIKV and related pathogenic viruses in humans...
- Chikungunya infection in India: results of a prospective hospital based multi-centric studyPratima Ray
Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 7:e30025. 2012..A prospective multi-centric study was conducted to evaluate clinical, epidemiological and virological features of chikugunya infection in patients with acute febrile illness from various geographical regions of India...
- Chikungunya disease: infection-associated markers from the acute to the chronic phase of arbovirus-induced arthralgiaLaurence Dupuis-Maguiraga
CEA, Division of Immuno Virologie, Institute of Emerging Diseases and Innovative Therapies, Fontenay aux Roses, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1446. 2012....
- Protection against fatal Sindbis virus encephalitis by beclin, a novel Bcl-2-interacting proteinX H Liang
Departments of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Virol 72:8586-96. 1998..These findings demonstrate that Beclin is a novel Bcl-2-interacting cellular protein that may play a role in antiviral host defense...
- Outbreak of chikungunya on Reunion Island: early clinical and laboratory features in 157 adult patientsGianandrea Borgherini
Service de Pneumologie et Maladies Infectieuses, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Clin Infect Dis 44:1401-7. 2007..Chikungunya is a reemerging disease. In 2005-2006, a severe outbreak occurred on Reunion Island in the southwestern part of the Indian Ocean. Other islands in this area were affected during the same period...
- Re-emergence of Chikungunya and O'nyong-nyong viruses: evidence for distinct geographical lineages and distant evolutionary relationshipsA M Powers
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 0609, USA
J Gen Virol 81:471-9. 2000....
- Aedes albopictus, an arbovirus vector: from the darkness to the lightC Paupy
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, UR016, BP 1857 Yaoundé, Cameroon
Microbes Infect 11:1177-85. 2009..Finally, we report conventional and innovative ways to control A. albopictus...
- Characterization of reemerging chikungunya virusMarion Sourisseau
Department of Virology, Unité Virus et Immunite, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS Pathog 3:e89. 2007..CHIKV was highly sensitive to the antiviral activity of type I and II interferons. These results provide a general insight into the interaction between CHIKV and its mammalian host...
- Chikungunya virus emergence is constrained in Asia by lineage-specific adaptive landscapesKonstantin A Tsetsarkin
Institute for Human Infections and Immunity, Center for Tropical Diseases and Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:7872-7. 2011..albopictus-adapted African strains. These results underscore how different adaptive landscapes occupied by closely related viral genotypes can profoundly affect the outcome of viral evolution and disease emergence...
- Persistent chronic inflammation and infection by Chikungunya arthritogenic alphavirus in spite of a robust host immune responseJean Jacques Hoarau
Biology Unit, Centre Hospitalier Régional Nord Félix Guyon and Cyclotron Réunion Océan Indien, Universite de la Reunion, St Denis, France
J Immunol 184:5914-27. 2010..These observed cellular and molecular events may contribute to chronic arthralgia/arthritis targeted by methotrexate used empirically for effective treatment but with immunosuppressive function in a context of viral persistence...
- Arthritogenic alphaviruses--an overviewAndreas Suhrbier
Immunovirology Laboratory, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, 300 Herston Road, Brisbane, Queensland 4006, Australia
Nat Rev Rheumatol 8:420-9. 2012..However, the small market size and/or the unpredictable and rapid nature of epidemics present major hurdles for development and deployment of new alphavirus-specific interventions...
- Chikungunya: a potentially emerging epidemic?Michelle M Thiboutot
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e623. 2010..In this review, we summarize the evidence supporting these concepts...
- Genome-scale phylogenetic analyses of chikungunya virus reveal independent emergences of recent epidemics and various evolutionary ratesSara M Volk
University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 0609
J Virol 84:6497-504. 2010..Significantly higher rates of nucleotide substitution appear to occur during urban than during enzootic transmission. These results suggest fundamental differences in transmission modes and/or dynamics in these two transmission cycles...
- Chikungunya virus and prospects for a vaccineScott C Weaver
Institute for Human Infections and Immunity, Sealy Center for Vaccine Development and Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 11:1087-101. 2012..Here, we discuss the challenges to the development of a safe, effective and affordable chikungunya vaccine and recent progress toward this goal...
- Persistent arthralgia induced by Chikungunya virus infection is associated with interleukin-6 and granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factorAngela Chow
Communicable Disease Centre, Singapore
J Infect Dis 203:149-57. 2011..Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) infection induces arthralgia. The involvement of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines has been suggested, but very little is known about their secretion profile in CHIKV-infected patients...
- Interferon response factors 3 and 7 protect against Chikungunya virus hemorrhagic fever and shockPenny A Rudd
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Virol 86:9888-98. 2012....
- Chikungunya virus and Aedes mosquitoes: saliva is infectious as soon as two days after oral infectionMathieu Dubrulle
Institut Pasteur, Génétique Moléculaire des Bunyavirus, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e5895. 2009..albopictus. As Ae. albopictus tends to replace Ae. aegypti in many regions, one question remained: is Ae. albopictus as efficient as Ae. aegypti to transmit the variant E1-226V of CHIKV?..
- Acute Chikungunya and persistent musculoskeletal pain following the 2006 Indian epidemic: a 2-year prospective rural community studyA Chopra
Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Epidemiol Infect 140:842-50. 2012..Chronic inflammatory arthritis was uncommon (0·3% at 1 year) although serum IL-6 often remained elevated in chronic cases. A larger population study is required to describe post-CHIKV rheumatism and its prognosis...
- Clinical and pathologic aspects of arthritis due to Ross River virus and other alphavirusesAndreas Suhrbier
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health and Nutrition, Brisbane, Australia
Curr Opin Rheumatol 16:374-9. 2004..This article summarizes the current knowledge of these diseases, focusing on recent developments in the understanding of Ross River virus disease...
- Differential proteome analysis of Chikungunya virus-infected new-born mice tissues reveal implication of stress, inflammatory and apoptotic pathways in disease pathogenesisRekha Dhanwani
Division of Virology, Defence Research and Development Establishment DRDE, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India
Proteomics 11:1936-51. 2011..This is the first report unravelling the complicated pathways involved in the mechanism of Chikungunya disease pathogenesis employing proteomic approach...
- Immunogenicity of novel consensus-based DNA vaccines against Chikungunya virusKaruppiah Muthumani
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Vaccine 26:5128-34. 2008..Taken together, these data support further study of the use of consensus CHIK antigens in a potential vaccine cocktail...
- An animal model for studying the pathogenesis of chikungunya virus infectionSarah A Ziegler
Department of Pathology and Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0609, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:133-9. 2008..Based on the clinical and pathologic similarities with CHIKV infection in humans, young ICR and CD-1 mice offer a useful and realistic model for further study of the pathogenesis and treatment of CHIKV infection...
- Prophylaxis and therapy for Chikungunya virus infectionThérèse Couderc
Groupe Microorganismes et Barrières de l Hôte and Unité Interactions Moléculaires Flavivirus Hôtes, Centre National de Référence des Arbovirus, Institut Pasteur, INSERM, Avenir U604, and Universite Paris Descartes, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
J Infect Dis 200:516-23. 2009....
- Novel chikungunya vaccine candidate with an IRES-based attenuation and host range alteration mechanismKenneth Plante
Institute for Human Infections and Immunity, Sealy Center for Vaccine Development, and Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002142. 2011..Furthermore, it is incapable of replicating in mosquito cells or infecting mosquitoes in vivo. This IRES-based attenuation platform technology may be useful for the predictable attenuation of any alphavirus...
- Aedes (Diptera: Culicidae) vectors of arboviruses in Mayotte (Indian Ocean): distribution area and larval habitatsLeïla Bagny
CIRAD, UMR Peuplement des Végétaux et Bio agresseur en Milieu Tropical CIRAD Université de la Réunion, Pôle de Protection des Plantes 3P, 7 chemin de l IRAT, 97410 Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
J Med Entomol 46:198-207. 2009..Thus, arbovirus surveillance programs should focus, as a priority, on areas where this vector is present because of a higher risk of emergence of an epidemic source of arboviruses...
- Chimeric alphavirus vaccine candidates for chikungunyaEryu Wang
Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, and Sealy Center for Vaccine Development, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, United States
Vaccine 26:5030-9. 2008..Vaccinated mice were fully protected against disease and viremia after CHIKV challenge...
- Chikungunya virus neutralization antigens and direct cell-to-cell transmission are revealed by human antibody-escape mutantsChia Yin Lee
Singapore Immunology Network, BMSI, A STAR, Singapore
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002390. 2011..These data shed new light on CHIKV-host interactions that will help to combat human CHIKV infection and inform future studies of CHIKV pathogenesis...
- Protection from arthritis and myositis in a mouse model of acute chikungunya virus disease by bindarit, an inhibitor of monocyte chemotactic protein-1 synthesisNestor E Rulli
Emerging Viruses and Inflammation Research Group, Institute for Glycomics, Griffith University, Gold Coast, Southport, Australia
J Infect Dis 204:1026-30. 2011..Histological analysis of muscle and joint tissues showed a reduction in inflammatory infiltrate in infected mice treated with bindarit. These results suggest that bindarit may be useful in treating CHIKV-induced arthritides in humans...
- Chikungunya virus mobilizes the apoptotic machinery to invade host cell defensesPascale Krejbich-Trotot
GRI IRG Immunopathology and Infection Research Grouping, University of La Réunion, CYROI, 2 rue Maxime Rivière, 97491, Ste Clotilde, Reunion
FASEB J 25:314-25. 2011..Remarkably, viral replication in macrophages did not yield a proinflammatory response. We describe a novel infectious mechanism by which CHIKV invades host cells and escapes the host response...
- In vitro antiviral activity of arbidol against Chikungunya virus and characteristics of a selected resistant mutantIlenia Delogu
Unite des Virus Emergents, UMR190 Emergence des pathologies virales Université de la Méditerranée, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, EHSP French School of Public Health, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille, France
Antiviral Res 90:99-107. 2011..Finally, our results demonstrated the effective in vitro antiviral activity of ARB against CHIKV and gave some tracks to understand the molecular basis of ARB activity...
- Human muscle satellite cells as targets of Chikungunya virus infectionSimona Ozden
Unité Epidémiologie et Physiopathologie des Virus Oncogènes CNRS URA1930, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 2:e527. 2007..7% of cases. Since the cellular targets of CHIK virus in humans are unknown, we studied the pathogenic events and targets of CHIK infection in skeletal muscle...
- Chikungunya virus in Aedes albopictus, ItalyPaolo Bonilauri
Emerg Infect Dis 14:852-4. 2008
- Geographic distribution and developmental sites of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) during a Chikungunya epidemic eventH Delatte
Research Unit 016, Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, 7 chemin de l IRAT, 97410 Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:25-34. 2008..Our data will provide input into the models of the epidemiology of the disease and design of vector control programs...
- Persistent arthralgia associated with chikungunya virus: a study of 88 adult patients on reunion islandGianandrea Borgherini
Service de Pneumologie et Maladies Infectieuses, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Clin Infect Dis 47:469-75. 2008..An outbreak of chikungunya virus infection occurred on Reunion Island during the period 2005-2006. Persistent arthralgia after chikungunya virus infection has been reported, but few studies have treated this aspect of the disease...
- Type I IFN controls chikungunya virus via its action on nonhematopoietic cellsClementine Schilte
Department of Immunology, Unité Immunobiologie des Cellules Dendritiques, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris, Cedex 15, France
J Exp Med 207:429-42. 2010..This study defines an essential role for type I IFN, produced via cooperation between multiple host sensors and acting directly on nonhematopoietic cells, in the control of CHIKV...
- Use of human monoclonal antibodies to treat Chikungunya virus infectionJan Fric
Singapore Immunology Network, Agency for Science, Technology, and Research, Singapore
J Infect Dis 207:319-22. 2013..In both settings, 5F10 and 8B10 were able to significantly delay CHIKV-driven lethality. Our results support the development of prophylactic and therapeutic treatments for CHIKV infection, using a combination of 5F10 and 8B10...
- Clinical burden of chikungunya virus infectionBenjamin Queyriaux
Lancet Infect Dis 8:2-3. 2008
- Active infection of human blood monocytes by Chikungunya virus triggers an innate immune responseZhisheng Her
Singapore Immunology Network, Agency for Science, Technology and Research, Biopolis, Singapore
J Immunol 184:5903-13. 2010..Our results provide a better understanding on the basic mechanisms of infection and early antiviral immune responses and will help in the development of future effective control strategies...
- The Old World and New World alphaviruses use different virus-specific proteins for induction of transcriptional shutoffNatalia Garmashova
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 1019, USA
J Virol 81:2472-84. 2007....
- Replication cycle of chikungunya: a re-emerging arbovirusMaxime Solignat
Universite Montpellier 1, Centre d Etudes d Agents Pathogenes et Biotechnologies pour la Sante CPBS, Montpellier, France
Virology 393:183-97. 2009..Such understanding may be applied in order to anticipate future epidemics and reduce the incidence by development and application of, for example, vaccination and antiviral therapy...
- The Chikungunya epidemic on La Réunion Island in 2005-2006: a cost-of-illness studyMan Koumba Soumahoro
Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1197. 2011..This study was conducted to assess the impact of chikungunya on health costs during the epidemic that occurred on La Réunion in 2005-2006...
- Antiviral treatment of chikungunya virus infectionXavier de Lamballerie
Unite des Virus Emergents, UMR190 IRD Université de la Méditerranée Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Marseille, Faculte de Medecine, Marseille, France
Infect Disord Drug Targets 9:101-4. 2009..We review here the main perspectives of chikungunya antiviral treatment...
- Chikungunya fever in Singapore: acute clinical and laboratory features, and factors associated with persistent arthralgiaM K Win
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng 308433, Singapore mar kyaw
J Clin Virol 49:111-4. 2010..During the initial outbreak period, a strict containment strategy was adopted and all chikungunya PCR-confirmed cases were isolated and hospitalised at the designated national outbreak management centre...
- Impact of Chikungunya virus infection on health status and quality of life: a retrospective cohort studyMan Koumba Soumahoro
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Unité Mixte de Recherche en Santé 707, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7800. 2009....
- Serological evidence of West Nile virus, Usutu virus and Sindbis virus infection of birds in the UKAlan Buckley
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology Oxford, Institute of Virology and Environmental Microbiology, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR, UK
J Gen Virol 84:2807-17. 2003..The potential health risk posed to humans and animals by these viruses circulating in the UK is discussed...
- On chikungunya acute infection and chloroquine treatmentXavier de Lamballerie
Unite des Virus Emergents, Université de la Méditerranée and Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, Marseille, France
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:837-9. 2008..01). In conclusion, our results suggest that there is currently no justification for the use of chloroquine to treat acute chikungunya infections...
- Entomology. A mosquito goes globalMartin Enserink
Science 320:864-6. 2008
- Entomologic and virologic investigation of Chikungunya, SingaporeLee Ching Ng
National Environment Agency, Singapore
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1243-9. 2009..These findings led to a revision of the current vector control strategy in Singapore. This report highlights the use of entomologic and virologic data to assist in the control of chikungunya in disease-endemic areas...
- Tracking epidemic Chikungunya virus into the Indian Ocean from East AfricaM Kariuki Njenga
International Emerging Infections Program Kenya, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Nairobi, Kenya
J Gen Virol 89:2754-60. 2008..Genetic elements that may be responsible for the scope of the outbreak were also identified...
- Concurrent chikungunya and dengue virus infections during simultaneous outbreaks, Gabon, 2007Eric M Leroy
Centre International de Recherches Medicales de Franceville, Franceville, Gabon
Emerg Infect Dis 15:591-3. 2009..Chikungunya or dengue-2 virus infections were identified in 321 patients; 8 patients had documented co-infections. Aedes albopictus was identified as the principal vector for the transmission of both viruses...
- Functional role of type I and type II interferons in antiviral defenseU Muller
Institute of Molecular Biology I, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Science 264:1918-21. 1994..Comparison of mice lacking either type I or type II IFN receptors showed that, at least in response to some viruses, both IFN systems are essential for antiviral defense and are functionally nonredundant...
- Estimating Chikungunya prevalence in La Réunion Island outbreak by serosurveys: two methods for two critical times of the epidemicPatrick Gerardin
Centre d Investigation Clinique Epidémiologie Clinique de La Réunion, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, Saint Pierre
BMC Infect Dis 8:99. 2008..The aim of this study was to refine clinical estimates provided by a regional surveillance-system using a two-stage serological assessment as gold standard...
- A mouse model of chikungunya virus-induced musculoskeletal inflammatory disease: evidence of arthritis, tenosynovitis, myositis, and persistenceThomas E Morrison
Department of Microbiology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Am J Pathol 178:32-40. 2011....
- The acute phase of Chikungunya virus infection in humans is associated with strong innate immunity and T CD8 cell activationNadia Wauquier
Centre International de Recherches Medicales de Franceville, BP769, Gabon
J Infect Dis 204:115-23. 2011..Unlike other members of the alphavirus genus, immune responses to Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) have been poorly investigated...
- Chikungunya triggers an autophagic process which promotes viral replicationPascale Krejbich-Trotot
IRG, EA 4517, Immunopathology and Infection Research Grouping, CHR North Felix Guyon and University of La Reunion, St Denis, Ile de La Réunion, France
Virol J 8:432. 2011..Here we provide the first evidence that hallmarks of autophagy are specifically found in HEK.293 infected cells and are involved in ChikV replication...
- Clinical features and molecular diagnosis of Chikungunya fever from South IndiaVemu Lakshmi
Department of Microbiology, Nizam s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad, India
Clin Infect Dis 46:1436-42. 2008..Molecular diagnosis is an important tool to identify such new vectorborne viral illnesses...
- Atypical Chikungunya virus infections: clinical manifestations, mortality and risk factors for severe disease during the 2005-2006 outbreak on RéunionA Economopoulou
Institute de Veille Sanitaire, France
Epidemiol Infect 137:534-41. 2009..The information presented in this article may assist clinicians in identifying the disease, selecting the treatment strategy, and anticipating the course of illness...
- Differential responses of the mosquito Aedes albopictus from the Indian Ocean region to two chikungunya isolatesEstelle Martin
Génétique Moléculaire des Bunyavirus, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, Paris Cedex 15, France
BMC Ecol 10:8. 2010..An important question is whether this variant is associated with adverse effects impacting some mosquito life-history traits such as survival and reproduction...
- Chikungunya virus in North-Eastern Italy: a seroprevalence surveyMaria Luisa Moro
Dipartimento di Sanita Pubblica, Universita degli Studi di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:508-11. 2010..This study provides basic parameters for modeling the transmission potential of outbreaks and planning control measures for Chikungunya infection in temperate settings...
- PKR acts early in infection to suppress Semliki Forest virus production and strongly enhances the type I interferon responseGerald Barry
The Roslin Institute and Royal School of Veterinary Studies, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Summerhall, Edinburgh EH9 1QH, UK
J Gen Virol 90:1382-91. 2009....
- Tracing the path of Chikungunya virus--evolution and adaptationLee Ching Ng
Environmental Health Institute, National Environment Agency, 11, Biopolis Way, 06 05 08, Helios Block, Singapore 138667, Singapore
Infect Genet Evol 10:876-85. 2010..CHIKV may continue to scorch regions with competent vectors, especially Ae. albopictus and a susceptible human population. A preemptive approach is necessary to combat this disease with very high epidemic potential...
- Chikungunya fever in travelers returning to Europe from the Indian Ocean region, 2006Marcus Panning
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 14:416-22. 2008..Soon after onset of symptoms, patients had IgG and IgM and high viral loads (some >10(9) copies/mL plasma). These data will help healthcare providers select diagnostic tests for returning travelers...
- Chikungunya fever in the United States: a fifteen year review of casesKatherine B Gibney
Arboviral Diseases Branch, Division of Vector Borne Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:e121-6. 2011..Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) represents a threat to the United States, because humans amplify CHIKV and vectors that transmit CHIKV are present...
- ChikungunyaAnn M Powers
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
Clin Lab Med 30:209-19. 2010..A discussion of the virus, its epidemiology, diagnostic criteria, and immunity are presented in this article...
- Concurrent isolation of chikungunya virus and dengue virus from a patient with coinfection resulting from a trip to SingaporeShu Fen Chang
Research and Diagnostic Center, Centers for Disease Control, Department of Health, 161, Kun Yang Street, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Clin Microbiol 48:4586-9. 2010..Both viruses were successfully isolated from the coinfected case by using antibody neutralization and a plaque purification technique...
- Vector control for the Chikungunya diseaseYves Dumont
CIRAD, UMR AMAP, Montpellier, F 34000, France
Math Biosci Eng 7:313-45. 2010....
- Chikungunya: an overviewA B Sudeep
National Institute of Virology, 20 A, Dr Ambedkar Road, Pune 411 001, India
J Biosci 33:443-9. 2008..This review describes CHIK in general and highlights the various clinico-pathological aspects observed during the recent outbreak...
- Chikungunya virus infection of cell lines: analysis of the East, Central and South African lineageNitwara Wikan
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
PLoS ONE 7:e31102. 2012..The results suggest that the increased infectivity seen in insect cells derives from an evolution of the CHIKV genome not solely associated with the E1:226 substitution...
- Prospective study of Chikungunya virus acute infection in the Island of La Réunion during the 2005-2006 outbreakFrederik Staikowsky
Emergency Department, Pôle des Spécialités de l Urgence, Centre Hospitalier Régional de la Réunion, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7603. 2009..Our objective was to determine the clinical and biological features of patients at the acute phase of CHIKV infection...
- Evaluation of recombinant E2 protein-based and whole-virus inactivated candidate vaccines against chikungunya virusManish Kumar
National Institute of Virology, Microbial Containment Complex, Sus Road, Pashan, Pune 411021, India
Vaccine 30:6142-9. 2012..With the re-emergence of chikungunya virus (CHIKV) in an explosive form and in the absence of a commercially available vaccine, we aimed to develop candidate vaccines employing recombinant E2 protein or chemically inactivated whole virus...
- Epidemiology of chikungunya in Malaysia: 2006-2009K B Chua
National Public Health Laboratory, Infectious Disease, Makmal Kesihatan Awam Kebangsaan, Kementerian Kesihatan, Lot 1853, Kg Melayu, Sungai Buloh, Selangor 47000, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 65:277-82. 2010..Those patients in the laboratory confirmed group had a significant higher incidence of fever, arthralgia and rash than those in the epidemiological linked group...
- Hypokalemic paralysis following Chikungunya fever- Rampal
J Assoc Physicians India 55:598. 2007
- Recovery from viral encephalomyelitis: immune-mediated noncytolytic virus clearance from neuronsDiane E Griffin
W Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Rm E5132, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Immunol Res 47:123-33. 2010..Virus-specific antibody-secreting cells residing in the nervous system after recovery from infection are likely to be important for long-term control...
- [Neurological manifestations in Chikungunya: about 23 cases collected in Reunion Island]P Tournebize
Service de Neurologie, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, BP 350, 97448 Saint Pierre cedex, Ile de La Réunion
Rev Neurol (Paris) 165:48-51. 2009..These symptoms were the cause of admission in our ward, mainly via the emergency room...
- Estimating the burden of disease and the economic cost attributable to chikungunya, Andhra Pradesh, India, 2005-2006T Seyler
Department of Social Sciences, French Institute of Pondicherry, 11 Saint Louis Street, 605 001 Pondicherry, India
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 104:133-8. 2010..Over the same period the burden for Andhra Pradesh was 6600 DALYs (cost: US$12 400 000). While the burden was moderate, costs were high and mostly out of pocket...
- Chikungunya virus of Asian and Central/East African genotypes in MalaysiaI Ching Sam
Tropical Infectious Diseases Research and Education Centre, Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Clin Virol 46:180-3. 2009..In Malaysia, limited CHIKV outbreaks of the endemic Asian and imported Central/East African genotypes were reported in 1998 and 2006. Since April 2008, an unprecedented nationwide outbreak has affected Malaysia...
- Inhibition of Chikungunya virus infection in cultured human muscle cells by furin inhibitors: impairment of the maturation of the E2 surface glycoproteinSimona Ozden
Unité d Epidémiologie et Physiopathologie des Virus Oncogènes, CNRS URA 3015, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 283:21899-908. 2008..Our results demonstrate the role of furin-like proteases in the processing of CHIKV particles and point out new approaches to inhibit this infection...
- The 2005-2006 Chikungunya epidemic in the Indian OceanStephen Higgs
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 6:115-6. 2006
- Burden of chikungunya in India: estimates of disability adjusted life years (DALY) lost in 2006 epidemicK Krishnamoorthy
Vector Control Research Centre, Puducherry, India
J Vector Borne Dis 46:26-35. 2009..The economic burden was also assessed in terms of productivity loss...
- Autophagy and viral neurovirulenceAnthony Orvedahl
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Cell Microbiol 10:1747-56. 2008..This review provides background information on the roles of autophagy in immunity and neuroprotection, and then discusses the relationships between autophagy and viral neurovirulence...
- Chikungunya outbreak, South India, 2006Prabhdeep Kaur
National Institute of Epidemiology, Chennai, India
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1623-5. 2008..Transmission was facilitated by Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in peridomestic water containers, as indicated by a high Breteau index. We recommended vector control measures and health education to promote safe water storage practices...
- Chikungunya: an emerging and spreading arthropod-borne viral diseaseFrancesca Cavrini
The Emilia Romagna Regional Reference Centre for Microbiological Emergencies CRREM Unit of Microbiology, St Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Infect Dev Ctries 3:744-52. 2009..Currently, Chikungunya is spreading in Southeast Asian aspects, clinical pictures, diagnosis and treatment of the disease caused by Chikungunya virus...
- Outbreak of chikungunya due to virus of Central/East African genotype in MalaysiaO Noridah
Pejabat Kesihatan Daerah Kinta, 30000 Batu Gajah, Perak, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 62:323-8. 2007..Molecular study showed that the chikungunya virus causing the Kinta outbreak was of the Central/East African genotype which occurred for the first time in Malaysia...
- A study on chikungunya outbreak during 2007 in Kerala, south IndiaM Kannan
Centre for Research in Medical Entomology ICMR, Madurai, India
Indian J Med Res 129:311-5. 2009..Four of the worst affected districts viz, Pathanamthitta, Idukki, Kottayam and Thrissur were surveyed during 2007 to understand the magnitude of the problem of chikungunya fever, particularly clinical signs and symptoms...
- Post-epidemic Chikungunya disease on Reunion Island: course of rheumatic manifestations and associated factors over a 15-month periodDaouda Sissoko
Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Cellule Interrégionale d Epidémiologie Réunion Mayotte, Direction Régionale des Affaires Sanitaires et Sociales, Saint Denis, La Reunion, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e389. 2009..Such findings may be particularly useful in the development of future prevention and care strategies for this emerging virus infection...
- NK cell-mediated immunopathology during an acute viral infection of the CNSMohammed Alsharifi
Division of Immunology and Genetics, The John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Eur J Immunol 36:887-96. 2006..This is the first study illustrating an NK cell-mediated immunopathological outcome to an acute viral infection...
- A serological study of Chikungunya virus transmission in Yogyakarta, Indonesia: evidence for the first outbreak since 1982Kevin R Porter
Viral Diseases Program, US Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 35:408-15. 2004..Samples from two volunteers were culture- and RT-PCR-positive for CHIK. This is the first documentation of epidemic transmission of CHIK in Indonesia since 1982...
- Chikungunya in north-eastern Italy: a summing up of the outbreakR Angelini
Dipartimento Sanita Pubblica, Azienda Unita Sanitaria Locale Department of Public Health, Local Health Unit, Ravenna, Italy
Euro Surveill 12:E071122.2. 2007
- VEE PATHOGENESIS AND VACCINE DEVELOPMENTSlobodan Paessler; Fiscal Year: 2007..By dissecting the nonstructural proteins of VEEV from the structural proteins, the role of replieative machinery (nonstructural proteins) in the pathogenesis will be elucidated. ..
- Innate immune evasion and/or antagonism by eastern equine encephalitis virusKATHERINE RYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Cell-Based HTS to Discover Molecules that Inhibit VEEV ReplicationDONGHOON CHUNG; Fiscal Year: 2012..provided here may identify novel chemical scaffolds that can be pursued as therapeutics for encephalitic alphavirus infections including Eastern or Western equine encephalitis viruses. ...
- Immune Evasion Mechanisms of Neurovirulent AlphavirusesMark T Heise; Fiscal Year: 2012..Though the molecular pathogenesis of alphavirus infections has been extensively studied, relatively little is known about how these viruses interact with and evade ..
- Alphavirus Modulation of the Host Type I Interferon SystemCatherine Cruz; Fiscal Year: 2010..demonstrated that the type I interferon (IFN) system play an important role in determining the outcome of alphavirus infections. However, little is known about these initial interactions...
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF SINDBIS VIRUSJames Strauss; Fiscal Year: 2000..These studies are also important for the eventual control of alphavirus infections, which annually cause very many cases of serious human illness...
- ECOLOGY AND GENETICS OF VENEZUELAN EQUINE ENCEPHALITISScott Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information will be invaluable in targeting prevention and control resources, especially for obtaining maximum benefit in developing countries with limited resources. ..
- Population dynamics of a bird-borne arbovirusCharles Brown; Fiscal Year: 2007..e., colony sites) can be reliably identified and ecological hypotheses tested. ..
- Improved Vaccines for Rift Valley Fever VirusMark T Heise; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TOGAVIRUS TROPISM FOR BONES, JOINTS, AND CNSMark T Heise; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Arbovirus Evasion of Type I Interferon InductionMark Heise; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ACUTE ALPHAVIRAL ENCEPHALITISDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Immune Responses During Measles Virus InfectionDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. To determine the roles of different CD4 and CD8 T cell populations in production of cytokines at various times during measles and the effect of concurrent HIV infection on these roles. ..
- Infectious Diseases of the Nervous System: Pathogenesis and Worldwide ImpactDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MEASLES VACCINES--IMMUNE RESPONSES AND ATYPICAL MEASLESDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- 2007 Viruses & Cells Gordon ConferenceDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Short Tandem Repeat Polymorphisms in CytomegalovirusJames Bale; Fiscal Year: 2003..Characterizing HCM' strains by STR analysis will facilitate future studies of HCMV evolution and will provide a novel means t to fingerprint HCMV strains. ..
- Autoantibody-mediated demyelination in SFV-infected miceForoozan Mokhtarian; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific hypothesis to be tested is that when these mice spontaneously release these antibodies (separately or combined) into the CNS, demyelinating lesions will appear. ..
- WORLD REFERENCE CENTER FOR ARBOVIRUSESRobert Tesh; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Forward and Reverse Genetics in Mosquitoes Using an RNA VirusZACH ADELMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pathogenesis of Rare Neuroimmunologic DisordersDouglas Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2004..We believe this workshop will serve a critical role in advancing our understanding of disorders that are pathophysiologically linked yet, because of their rarity, are poorly understood. ..
- Stem Cell-Derived Motoneurons in the Adult Mammalian CNSDouglas Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will define an important transplantation approach for motoneuron disease such as ALS and SMA and for spinal cord injury and other spinal disorders. ..
- Epidemiology of Yellow Fever in the AmericasRobert Tesh; Fiscal Year: 2005..Most of the work will be done in laboratories at the University of Texas Medical Branch, Center for Tropical Diseases; but a small portion will be done at the Evandro Chagas Institute in Belem, Brazil. ..
- ES Cell-Derived Motoneurons from SMA transgenic miceDouglas Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will identify critical molecular clues to motoneuron dysfunction in SMA and will identify potential strategies to halt or reverse this dysfunction. ..
- Selfish gene and genetic control of vector-borne diseasesZACH ADELMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 2nd International Pathogenesis of Rare Neuroimmunologic DisordersDouglas Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proceedings will be[unreadable] disseminated in the medical literature. ..
- A Sindbis virus-based Vaccine Against RVFV InfectionIlya Frolov; Fiscal Year: 2006..The study will be important for creating a general strategy for development of vaccines against emerging infections, vaccines that require fast design and large-scale production for immediate use. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Salivary Potentiation of Arboviral InfectionsStephen Higgs; Fiscal Year: 2004..This knowledge may contribute towards the development of a mouse model for human dengue infections. ..
- Interaction of Sindbis Virus with Cellular ProcessesILYA V FROLOV; Fiscal Year: 2010..Identification of the cellular proteins that are essential for virus growth will lead to development of new antiviral therapeutic strategies. ..
- GENETIC DETERMINANTS OF EPIDEMIC ALPHAVIRUS TRANSMISSIONStephen Higgs; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..