Genomes and Genes
Summary: Infections with viruses of the family PARAMYXOVIRIDAE. This includes MORBILLIVIRUS INFECTIONS; RESPIROVIRUS INFECTIONS; PNEUMOVIRUS INFECTIONS; HENIPAVIRUS INFECTIONS; AVULAVIRUS INFECTIONS; and RUBULAVIRUS INFECTIONS.
Publications240 found, 100 shown here
- Nipah virus: a recently emergent deadly paramyxovirusK B Chua
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Malaya Medical Center, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Science 288:1432-5. 2000..Like Hendra virus, Nipah virus is unusual among the paramyxoviruses in its ability to infect and cause potentially fatal disease in a number of host species, including humans...
- A newly discovered human pneumovirus isolated from young children with respiratory tract diseaseB G van den Hoogen
Department of Virology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Med 7:719-24. 2001..Serological studies showed that by the age of five years, virtually all children in the Netherlands have been exposed to human metapneumovirus and that the virus has been circulating in humans for at least 50 years...
- Human Metapneumovirus: lessons learned over the first decadeVerena Schildgen
Dipl Biologe, Kliniken der Stadt Köln gGmbH, Krankenhaus Merheim, Klinikum der Privaten Universität Witten Herdecke, Institut fur Pathologie, Cologne, Germany
Clin Microbiol Rev 24:734-54. 2011..This review summarizes our current knowledge on HMPV, HMPV disease pathogenesis, and disease intervention strategies and identifies a number of areas with key questions to be addressed in the future...
- Population-based surveillance for hospitalizations associated with respiratory syncytial virus, influenza virus, and parainfluenza viruses among young childrenMarika K Iwane
National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Pediatrics 113:1758-64. 2004....
- The distinguishing features of human metapneumovirus and respiratory syncytial virusJesse Papenburg
CHUQ CHUL and Université Laval, Quebec City, QC, Canada
Rev Med Virol 20:245-60. 2010....
- Human metapneumovirus infections in hospitalized childrenGuy Boivin
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Quebec City, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 9:634-40. 2003..HMPV is an important cause of illness in young children with a similar, although less severe, clinical presentation to that of HRSV...
- Epidemiology of human metapneumovirusJeffrey S Kahn
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine, P O Box 208064, New Haven, CT 06520 8064, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 19:546-57. 2006....
- Sensitive and broadly reactive reverse transcription-PCR assays to detect novel paramyxovirusesSuxiang Tong
Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:2652-8. 2008..The assays were specific to the respective group of genera or subfamily viruses. This set of primers enhances our ability to look for novel viruses in outbreaks and diseases of unknown etiology...
- Virological features and clinical manifestations associated with human metapneumovirus: a new paramyxovirus responsible for acute respiratory-tract infections in all age groupsGuy Boivin
Research Center in Infectious Diseases, Regional Virology Laboratory, Laval University, Quebec City, Canada
J Infect Dis 186:1330-4. 2002..These findings suggest that HMPV can be associated with severe lower-respiratory-tract infections in very young children, the elderly, and immunocompromised patients...
- Real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assay for detection of human metapneumoviruses from all known genetic lineagesJeroen Maertzdorf
Vironovative BV, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 42:981-6. 2004..Here we describe the development and evaluation of a real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assay that detects human metapneumovirus from the four known genetic lineages with equal specificities and sensitivities...
- Identification and complete genome analysis of three novel paramyxoviruses, Tuhoko virus 1, 2 and 3, in fruit bats from ChinaSusanna K P Lau
Department of Microbiology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Virology 404:106-16. 2010..Analysis of phosphoprotein gene mRNA products confirmed mRNA editing. Antibodies to the viruses were detected in 48-60% of Leschenault's rousettes...
- Prevalence and clinical symptoms of human metapneumovirus infection in hospitalized patientsBernadette G van den Hoogen
Department of Virology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 188:1571-7. 2003..Treatment with antibiotics and corticosteroids was reported more frequently in hMPV-infected children. From these data, we conclude that hMPV is an important pathogen associated with RTI...
- Human metapneumovirus infections in young and elderly adultsAnn R Falsey
Infectious Diseases Unit, Rochester General Hospital, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 1425 Portland Avenue, Rochester, NY 14621, USA
J Infect Dis 187:785-90. 2003..In conclusion, hMPV infection occurs in adults of all ages and may account for a significant portion of persons hospitalized with respiratory infections during some years...
- Genetic diversity of human metapneumovirus over 4 consecutive years in AustraliaIan M Mackay
Queensland Paediatric Infectious Disease Laboratory, Royal Children s Hospital, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
J Infect Dis 193:1630-3. 2006..Concurrent, annual circulation of all 4 hMPV subtypes in our study population was common, with a single, usually different hMPV subtype predominating in each year...
- Respiratory viral infections in patients with chronic, obstructive pulmonary diseaseJ David Beckham
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine and Ben Taub General Hospital, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Infect 50:322-30. 2005..The purpose of the present study was to apply reverse transcription-PCR (RT-PCR) assays to clinical specimens collected from patients with acute respiratory illness and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Comparison of human metapneumovirus, respiratory syncytial virus and influenza A virus lower respiratory tract infections in hospitalized young childrenDana G Wolf
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:320-4. 2006....
- Animal pneumoviruses: molecular genetics and pathogenesisAndrew J Easton
University of Warwick, Coventry, United Kingdom
Clin Microbiol Rev 17:390-412. 2004....
- Human metapneumovirus infection induces long-term pulmonary inflammation associated with airway obstruction and hyperresponsiveness in miceMarie Eve Hamelin
Research Center in Infectious Diseases, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Infect Dis 193:1634-42. 2006..The objective of the present work was to study the duration of pulmonary inflammation and the functional consequences of infection with hMPV by use of a BALB/c mouse model...
- Brief communication: fatal human metapneumovirus infection in stem-cell transplant recipientsJanet A Englund
Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, University of Washington, and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:344-9. 2006..Human metapneumovirus (hMPV), a recently discovered respiratory virus, is associated with clinical disease in young and elderly persons...
- Children with respiratory disease associated with metapneumovirus in Hong KongJ S Malik Peiris
The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Emerg Infect Dis 9:628-33. 2003..Phylogenetically, all HMPV virus strains from Hong Kong belonged to one of the two genetic lineages previously described. HMPV contributed to 441.6 hospital admissions per 100,000 population <6 years of age...
- Human metapneumovirus infection among children hospitalized with acute respiratory illnessJames A Mullins
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 10:700-5. 2004..Further investigations to better characterize HMPV infection and its clinical effect are needed...
- Infection of nonhuman primates with recombinant human metapneumovirus lacking the SH, G, or M2-2 protein categorizes each as a nonessential accessory protein and identifies vaccine candidatesStephane Biacchesi
National Institutes of Health, NIAID, Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, MD 20892 8007, USA
J Virol 79:12608-13. 2005..The deltaG and deltaM2-2 viruses are promising vaccine candidates that are based on independent mechanisms of attenuation and are appropriate for clinical evaluation...
- Isolation of Nipah virus from Malaysian Island flying-foxesKaw Bing Chua
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Lumpur, Kuala, Malaysia
Microbes Infect 4:145-51. 2002..The isolation of Nipah virus from the Island flying-fox corroborates the serological evidence that it is one of the natural hosts of the virus...
- Infection and maturation of monocyte-derived human dendritic cells by human respiratory syncytial virus, human metapneumovirus, and human parainfluenza virus type 3Cyril Le Nouen
Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Virology 385:169-82. 2009..Maturation by these viruses was anti-apoptotic. Inefficient infection of IDC and sub-optimal maturation might result in reduced immune responses, but these effects would be common to all three viruses rather than specific to HRSV...
- Parainfluenza virus infections after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: risk factors, response to antiviral therapy, and effect on transplant outcomeW G Nichols
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, 1100 Fairview Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109-4417, USA
Blood 98:573-8. 2001..Currently available antiviral therapy appears to be inadequate in reducing viral shedding or mortality once pneumonia is established. (Blood. 2001;98:573-578)..
- Progress in the development of respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza virus vaccinesAnna P Durbin
Center for Immunization Research, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:1668-77. 2003..Recombinant technology allows candidate vaccines to be "fine-tuned" in response to clinical data, which should hasten the development of vaccines against these important respiratory pathogens...
- Dual infection of infants by human metapneumovirus and human respiratory syncytial virus is strongly associated with severe bronchiolitisMalcolm G Semple
Department of Child Health, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 191:382-6. 2005..99 [95% confidence interval, 5.0-24.12]; P<.001, by Fisher exact test). Dual infection by hMPV and hRSV is associated with severe bronchiolitis...
- Burden of human metapneumovirus infection in young childrenKathryn M Edwards
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 2581, USA
N Engl J Med 368:633-43. 2013..The inpatient and outpatient burden of human metapneumovirus (HMPV) infection among young children has not been well established...
- A wild goose metapneumovirus containing a large attachment glycoprotein is avirulent but immunoprotective in domestic turkeysRichard S Bennett
Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, University of Minnesota, 1971 Commonwealth Avenue, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Virol 79:14834-42. 2005....
- Respiratory tract reinfections by the new human Metapneumovirus in an immunocompromised childGilles Pelletier
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec and Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 8:976-8. 2002..We report the case of a young, immunocompromised child who had severe lower respiratory tract infections during two consecutive winter seasons caused by genetically distinct HMPV strains...
- Human metapneumovirus and lower respiratory tract disease in otherwise healthy infants and childrenJohn V Williams
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232 2581, USA
N Engl J Med 350:443-50. 2004..We sought to determine the role of human metapneumovirus in lower respiratory tract illness in previously healthy infants and children...
- Experimental human metapneumovirus infection of cynomolgus macaques (Macaca fascicularis) results in virus replication in ciliated epithelial cells and pneumocytes with associated lesions throughout the respiratory tractThijs Kuiken
Departments of Virology and Immunology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Pathol 164:1893-900. 2004..This study demonstrates that hMPV is a respiratory pathogen and indicates that viral replication is short-lived, polarized to the apical surface, and occurs primarily in ciliated respiratory epithelial cells...
- Persistent symptomless human metapneumovirus infection in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipientsMaurizia Debiaggi
Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologiche, Eidologiche e Cliniche, Sezione di Microbiologia, Universita di Pavia, via Brambilla, 74, 27100, Pavia, Italy
J Infect Dis 194:474-8. 2006..The data indicate that HSCT recipients may frequently develop symptomless hMPV infection...
- A prospective study comparing human metapneumovirus with other respiratory viruses in adults with hematologic malignancies and respiratory tract infectionsJohn V Williams
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2581, USA
J Infect Dis 192:1061-5. 2005..Nine patients with hMPV developed LRI; 3 of these patients died. hMPV is a common cause of respiratory infections in adults with hematologic malignancies, with associated morbidity and mortality...
- The cotton rat (Sigmodon hispidus) is a permissive small animal model of human metapneumovirus infection, pathogenesis, and protective immunityJohn V Williams
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232 2581, USA
J Virol 79:10944-51. 2005..This model will allow further in vivo studies of hMPV pathogenesis and evaluation of vaccine candidates...
- Human metapneumovirus (HMPV) binding and infection are mediated by interactions between the HMPV fusion protein and heparan sulfateAndres Chang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
J Virol 86:3230-43. 2012....
- Successful outcome of human metapneumovirus (hMPV) pneumonia in a lung transplant recipient treated with intravenous ribavirinKashif Raza
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 26:862-4. 2007..We report a case of hMPV pneumonia in a lung transplant recipient presenting with respiratory failure and sepsis syndrome. hMPV was diagnosed by polymerase chain reaction, and treated with intravenous ribavirin with a successful outcome...
- Structure of the human metapneumovirus fusion protein with neutralizing antibody identifies a pneumovirus antigenic siteXiaolin Wen
Department of Structural Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 19:461-3. 2012..Here we show that a potently neutralizing anti-human metapneumovirus antibody (DS7) binds a structurally invariant domain of F, revealing a new epitope that could be targeted in vaccine development...
- Study of human metapneumovirus-associated lower respiratory tract infections in Egyptian adultsMaysaa El Sayed Zaki
Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, El Gomhoria Street 60, 35516 Mansoura, Egypt
Microbiol Immunol 53:603-8. 2009..It was a common pathogen in community-acquired pneumonia...
- Epidemiology and genetic variability of human metapneumovirus during a 4-year-long study in Southeastern BrazilDanielle B L Oliveira
Department of Microbiology, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Med Virol 81:915-21. 2009..It was also shown that a clear dominance of genotype B1 occurred during the years 2004 and 2005, followed by genotype A2 during 2006...
- Detection of severe human metapneumovirus infection by real-time polymerase chain reaction and histopathological assessmentKaharu C Sumino
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Infect Dis 192:1052-60. 2005..Infections with common respiratory tract viruses can cause high mortality, especially in immunocompromised hosts, but the impact of human metapneumovirus (hMPV) in this setting was previously unknown...
- Clinical and epidemiological comparison of human metapneumovirus and respiratory syncytial virus in seoul, Korea, 2003-2008Chang Keun Kim
Department of Pediatrics, Asthma and Allergy Center, Inje University Sanggye Paik Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 25:342-7. 2010....
- Diagnosis of a critical respiratory illness caused by human metapneumovirus by use of a pan-virus microarrayCharles Y Chiu
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco at Mission Bay, office BH403C, QB3 Building, 1700 4th Street, San Francisco CA 94158, USA
J Clin Microbiol 45:2340-3. 2007..The patient's hMPV strain did not grow in viral culture, and only one of five specific reverse transcription-PCR assays for hMPV was positive...
- Role of cellular glycosaminoglycans and charged regions of viral G protein in human metapneumovirus infectionSutthiwan Thammawat
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Flinders Medical Centre, Bedford Park, SA 5042, Australia
J Virol 82:11767-74. 2008..These results, taken together with the inhibition of hMPV infection by soluble G protein, indicate an important role for G protein and cellular GAGs in hMPV infection...
- Ten years of human metapneumovirus researchF Feuillet
Laboratoire de Virologie et Pathologie Humaine VirPath, EMR 4610, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1 Hospices civils de Lyon, Faculté de médecine RTH Laennec, 7, Rue Guillaume Paradin, Lyon 69372, France
J Clin Virol 53:97-105. 2012..Several strategies, such as the use of live-attenuated viruses generated by reverse genetics or recombinant proteins, have been tested in animals with encouraging results...
- Human metapneumovirus infection in young children hospitalized with respiratory tract diseaseVincent Foulongne
Department of Virology, Montpellier University Hospital, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:354-9. 2006..Human metapneumovirus (hMPV) is a newly recognized pathogen associated with respiratory tract disease (RTD)...
- The role of human metapneumovirus in upper respiratory tract infections in children: a 20-year experienceJohn V Williams
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
J Infect Dis 193:387-95. 2006..The role that human metapneumovirus (hMPV) plays in the etiology of upper respiratory tract infections (URIs) in children over a period of many years has not been evaluated previously...
- Outbreak of Nipah-virus infection among abattoir workers in SingaporeN I Paton
Department of Infectious Diseases, Communicable Disease Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
Lancet 354:1253-6. 1999..In March 1999, an outbreak of encephalitis and pneumonia occurred in workers at an abattoir in Singapore. We describe the clinical presentation and the results of investigations in these patients...
- Respiratory tract infection due to human metapneumovirus among elderly patientsBernadette G van den Hoogen
Clin Infect Dis 44:1159-60. 2007
- An outbreak of severe respiratory tract infection due to human metapneumovirus in a long-term care facilityGuy Boivin
Research Center in Infectious Diseases of the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 44:1152-8. 2007..We sought to describe the epidemiological, virological, and histopathological findings associated with a large outbreak of hMPV infection in a long-term care facility...
- Human metapneumovirus reinfection among children in Thailand determined by ELISA using purified soluble fusion proteinJulie A Pavlin
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, USA
J Infect Dis 198:836-42. 2008..Human metapneumovirus (hMPV) is a newly discovered paramyxovirus that causes acute respiratory illness. Despite apparent near-universal exposure during early childhood, immunity is transient...
- A 1-year experience with human metapneumovirus in children aged <5 yearsFrank Esper
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8064, USA
J Infect Dis 189:1388-96. 2004..Of hMPV-positive children, 60.4% were aged <12 months. hMPV accounted for a small but significant proportion of respiratory-tract disease in infants and children...
- Human metapneumovirus infection in the Canadian populationNathalie Bastien
National Microbiology Laboratory, Canadian Science Center for Human and Animal Health, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 41:4642-6. 2003..These results provide further evidence of the importance of hMPV in ARIs, particularly in young children and elderly individuals...
- Long-term impairment of Streptococcus pneumoniae lung clearance is observed after initial infection with influenza A virus but not human metapneumovirus in miceHerbert P Ludewick
Research Center in Infectious Diseases of the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Québec and Laval University, Quebec City, QC, G1V 4G2, Canada
J Gen Virol 92:1662-5. 2011..In conclusion, hMPV does not cause long-term impairment of pneumococcus lung clearance, in contrast to influenza A virus...
- Descriptive epidemiology of fatal respiratory outbreaks and detection of a human-related metapneumovirus in wild chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) at Mahale Mountains National Park, Western TanzaniaTaranjit Kaur
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, USA
Am J Primatol 70:755-65. 2008..In addition, descriptive epidemiology should be a major component of disease outbreak investigations...
- Hospitalized pediatric parainfluenza virus infections in a medical centerYu Jun Hsieh
Department of Pediatrics, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 43:360-5. 2010..The aims of this study were to determine the clinical presentation of PIV infections in hospitalized children and to identify particular clinical indications that may effectively distinguish between different PIV serotypes...
- Evidence of avian pneumovirus spread beyond Minnesota among wild and domestic birds in central North AmericaR S Bennett
Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, University of Minnesota, 1971 Commonwealth Avenue, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Avian Dis 48:902-8. 2004..2%-99.3%). This study demonstrated that APV infections were present in domestic turkey flocks and wild birds outside the state of Minnesota; however, the role of wild birds in spreading APV to domestic turkeys remains unclear...
- Clinical characterization of human metapneumovirus infection among patients with cancerMini Kamboj
Infectious Disease Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, Box 9, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Infect 57:464-71. 2008..hMPV infection in a large population of patients with underlying cancer and varying degrees of immunosuppression has not been reported. We sought to characterize hMPV infection in patients with cancer...
- Human metapneumovirusChristina R Hermos
Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Lab Med 30:131-48. 2010..This article describes the microbiology, epidemiology, clinical presentation, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, long-term outcome, immunity and reinfection of hMPV...
- Molecular epidemiological investigation of a nosocomial outbreak of human metapneumovirus infection in a pediatric hemato-oncology patient populationSollip Kim
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine and Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Microbiol 47:1221-4. 2009..Three isolates from the outbreak had sequences identical to those of samples in the A2 cluster. There was also a separate nosocomial case represented by the B2 cluster...
- Genetic characterization of avian metapneumovirus subtype C isolated from pheasants in a live bird marketEun Ho Lee
College of Medicine and Medical Research Institute, Chungbuk National University, 12 Gaeshin Dong Heungduk Ku, Cheongju 361 763, Republic of Korea
Virus Res 128:18-25. 2007..This is the first report of the isolation and complete genomic sequence of aMPV subtype C originating from pheasants...
- Seasonal distribution and epidemiological characteristics of human metapneumovirus infections in pediatric inpatients in Southeast ChinaYuqing Wang
The Department of Respiratory Medicine, Children s Hospital Affiliated to Soochow University, No 303, Jing De Road, Suzhou, 215003, China
Arch Virol 158:417-24. 2013..hMPV infection occurred throughout the year with peaks during late winter and early spring. Climatic factors, especially monthly average temperature, may affect the prevalence of hMPV in Suzhou...
- Pathogenesis of avian pneumovirus infection in turkeysF F Jirjis
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, St Paul 55108, USA
Vet Pathol 39:300-10. 2002..In this experiment, turkey poults inoculated with tissue culture-propagated APV developed clinical signs similar to those seen in field cases associated with infection with this virus...
- Human metapneumovirus infection in a cohort of young asymptomatic subjectsRosalinda Bruno
Section of Microbiology, Department of Pharmaco Biology, University of Calabria, Rende Cosenza, Italy
New Microbiol 32:297-301. 2009..Phylogenetic analysis has shown that circulating viruses belonged to different HMPV sublineages. Our findings indicate that asymptomatic carriage of HMPV might be a neglected source of viral transmission in the community...
- Sendai virus, the mouse parainfluenza type 1: a longstanding pathogen that remains up-to-dateP Faisca
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Liege, Sart Tilman Faculty of Veterinary Medicine B43, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Res Vet Sci 82:115-25. 2007..Recently, scientific interest for this old pathogen has re-emerged, this time because of its potential value as a vector for gene transfer. This review aimed at drawing an exhaustive picture of this multifaceted pathogen...
- Activity and regulation of alpha interferon in respiratory syncytial virus and human metapneumovirus experimental infectionsAntonieta Guerrero-Plata
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 0369, USA
J Virol 79:10190-9. 2005..These results suggest that a complex interplay between virus-specific and host-mediated responses regulates IFN-alpha in the lung during infection by members of the Pneumovirinae family...
- Large-scale seroprevalence analysis of human metapneumovirus and human respiratory syncytial virus infections in Beijing, ChinaGuilan Lu
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Virology and Genetic Engineering, Institute of Pathogen Biology IPB, Peking Union Medical College PUMC and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences CAMS, Beijing 100730, China
Virol J 8:62. 2011..As a control, we used the human serum antibody against the N protein of human respiratory syncytial virus (hRSV), the most important viral agent responsible for ARIs in children...
- High prevalence of human metapneumovirus infection in young children and genetic heterogeneity of the viral isolatesS Viazov
Institute of Virology, Essen University Hospital, D 45122 Essen, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 41:3043-5. 2003..Phylogenetic analysis of the amplified viral genome fragments confirmed the existence and simultaneous circulation within one epidemic season of HMPV isolates belonging to two genetic lineages...
- Human metapneumovirus in paediatric patientsN Principi
Institute of Pediatrics, University of Milan, Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:301-8. 2006..Further studies are also required to properly define hMPV diagnosis, treatment and prevention strategies...
- An outbreak of severe respiratory tract infection due to human metapneumovirus in a long-term care facility for the elderly in OregonRobert S Liao
Peacehealth Laboratories, 123 International Way, Springfield, OR 97477, USA
J Clin Virol 53:171-3. 2012....
- Detection and quantification of human metapneumovirus in pediatric specimens by real-time RT-PCRJane Kuypers
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, CHRMC, 4800 Sand Point Way N E, Virology Office, G 815, 8G 3, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
J Clin Virol 33:299-305. 2005..Human metapneumovirus (h MPV), a recently identified virus, causes respiratory illness in children...
- Residues of the human metapneumovirus fusion (F) protein critical for its strain-related fusion phenotype: implications for the virus replication cycleVicente Mas
Biología Viral, Centro Nacional de Microbiología and CIBER de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
J Virol 85:12650-61. 2011..J. Virol. 83:1511-1522, 2009) highlight the relevance of certain residues in the linker region and domain II of the pretriggered hMPV F protein for the process of membrane fusion...
- Comparison of risk factors for human metapneumovirus and respiratory syncytial virus disease severity in young childrenJesse Papenburg
Centre de recherche en infectiologie de l Université Laval, Centre de recherche du CHUQ, Quebec, Canada
J Infect Dis 206:178-89. 2012..However, risk factors for severe hMPV disease remain unknown. We comparatively assessed environmental, host, and viral determinants for severe hMPV and RSV infections...
- The human metapneumovirus: a case series and review of the literatureS Shahda
Department of Internal Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Transpl Infect Dis 13:324-8. 2011..Ribavirin (oral and aerosolized) with IVIG is potentially an effective treatment option for those with severe disease...
- High seroprevalence of neutralizing capacity against human metapneumovirus in all age groups studied in Bonn, GermanyJessica Lüsebrink
Institute for Virology, University of Bonn Medical Centre, Bonn, Germany
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:481-4. 2010....
- Molecular epidemiology of human metapneumovirus in IrelandMichael J Carr
National Virus Reference Laboratory, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
J Med Virol 80:510-6. 2008..44-8.15). Statistical analysis of quantitative RT-PCR determinations of viral load from these 30 respiratory specimens suggests that hMPV genotype B specimens have a higher viral load than hMPV genotype A isolates (P < 0.03)...
- Prophylactic and therapeutic benefits of a monoclonal antibody against the fusion protein of human metapneumovirus in a mouse modelMarie Eve Hamelin
Research Center in Infectious Diseases of the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Québec and Laval University, 2705 Laurier Blvd, Quebec City, QC, Canada G1V 4G2
Antiviral Res 88:31-7. 2010..Both prophylactic and, to a lesser extent, therapeutic administration of MAb 338 improved acute and late consequences of HMPV infection in a relevant mouse model...
- Incidence and morbidity of human metapneumovirus and other community-acquired respiratory viruses in lung transplant recipientsA Weinberg
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Transpl Infect Dis 12:330-5. 2010..No deaths occurred during this study. In conclusion, HMPV was associated with 6% of the RTIs in lung transplant recipients and its morbidity was similar to the average moribidity of CARVs...
- Mortality attributable to 9 common infections: significant effect of influenza A, respiratory syncytial virus, influenza B, norovirus, and parainfluenza in elderly personsLiselotte van Asten
Centre for Infectious Disease Control Netherlands, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, PO Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 206:628-39. 2012....
- Population-based incidence of human metapneumovirus infection among hospitalized childrenJohn V Williams
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Schoolof Medicine, and Monroe Carell Jr Children s Hospital at Vanderbilt, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2581, USA
J Infect Dis 201:1890-8. 2010..Human metapneumovirus (HMPV) is a leading cause of acute respiratory illness (ARI) in children. Population-based incidence rates and comprehensive clinical characterizations of disease have not been established...
- Subversion of pulmonary dendritic cell function by paramyxovirus infectionsAntonieta Guerrero-Plata
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
J Immunol 182:3072-83. 2009..Our findings suggest that acute paramyxovirus infections can alter the long-term immune function of pulmonary DC...
- Rates of hospitalizations for respiratory syncytial virus, human metapneumovirus, and influenza virus in older adultsKyle Widmer
Department of Medicine, VA TN Valley Health Care System, Nashville, Tennessee 37205, USA
J Infect Dis 206:56-62. 2012..We performed a prospective study to determine the disease burden of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and human metapneumovirus (HMPV) in older adults in comparison with influenza virus...
- Isolation and characterization of monoclonal antibodies which neutralize human metapneumovirus in vitro and in vivoNancy D Ulbrandt
MedImmune, Inc, 1 MedImmune Way, Gaithersburg, MD 20878, USA
J Virol 80:7799-806. 2006..The data suggest that a monoclonal antibody could be used prophylactically to prevent lower respiratory tract disease caused by hMPV...
- Outbreak of human metapneumovirus infection in elderly inpatients in JapanHaruhito Honda
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:177-80. 2006
- An outbreak of human metapneumovirus infection in hospitalized psychiatric adult patients in TaiwanChuan Chou Tu
Chest Section, Department of Internal Medicine, Taichung Armed Forces General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Scand J Infect Dis 41:363-7. 2009..We report this outbreak in a mental hospital to alert the medical profession that this unusual infection of hMPV can occur as an outbreak in an adult setting and is an occupational hazard for healthcare personnel...
- Cell type-specific recognition of human metapneumoviruses (HMPVs) by retinoic acid-inducible gene I (RIG-I) and TLR7 and viral interference of RIG-I ligand recognition by HMPV-B1 phosphoproteinNadege Goutagny
Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
J Immunol 184:1168-79. 2010..Collectively, these data reveal differential mechanisms of sensing for two closely related viruses, which operate in cell type-specific manners...
- Prevalence and clinical and molecular characterization of human metapneumovirus in children with acute respiratory infection in ChinaNi guang Xiao
Department of Pediatrics, The People s Hospital, Hunan Province, China
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:131-4. 2010..Human metapneumovirus (HMPV), a newly discovered paramyxovirus, has been associated with acute respiratory tract infections (ARTIs). However, the prevalence and molecular characteristics of HMPV in China are still unclear...
- Viral acute lower respiratory infections impair CD8+ T cells through PD-1John J Erickson
Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA
J Clin Invest 122:2967-82. 2012..Therefore, the PD-1/PD-L1 pathway may represent a therapeutic target in the treatment of respiratory viruses...
- Novel human metapneumovirus sublineageBarbara Huck
University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 12:147-50. 2006..Phylogenetic analysis of N- and F-gene sequences of identified HMPV showed that 30% belonged to a novel phylogenetic cluster...
- Human metapneumovirus in adults: a short case seriesC O'Gorman
Regional Virus Laboratory, Royal Group of Hospitals Trust, Belfast, BT126BA, Northern Ireland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:190-2. 2006....
- Epidemiological and phylogenic study of human metapneumovirus infections during three consecutive outbreaks in Normandy, FranceLoic Legrand
Laboratory of Human and Molecular Virology, University Hospital, Caen, France
J Med Virol 83:517-24. 2011..This study determined the prevalence of hMPV in Normandy, its clinical impact and permitted the analysis of the molecular evolution during the successive outbreaks...
- Genetic variability of human metapneumovirus infection: evidence of a shift in viral genotype without a change in illnessEugene Agapov
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Infect Dis 193:396-403. 2006..These findings suggest that hMPV may vary in genetic structure, to allow for a seasonal shift in predominant genotype and the maintenance of infection rates...
- Human metapneumovirus as a cause of community-acquired respiratory illnessJoanne Stockton
Public Health Laboratory Service Central Public Health Laboratory, London, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 8:897-901. 2002..2%) patients. HMPV appears to be associated with community-acquired ARTI. The extent of illness and possible complications related to this new human virus need to be clarified...
- Sequence polymorphism of the predicted human metapneumovirus G glycoproteinTeresa C T Peret
Respiratory and Enteric Viruses Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Gen Virol 85:679-86. 2004....
- Human metapneumovirus in severe respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitisJulie Greensill
University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 9:372-5. 2003..Seventy percent of them were coinfected with metapneumovirus. Such coinfection might be a factor influencing the severity of bronchiolitis...
- Probable human infection with a newly described virus in the family Paramyxoviridae. The NSW Expert GroupK Chant
Public Health Unit, Sydney, Australia, New South Wales
Emerg Infect Dis 4:273-5. 1998..Strong evidence indicates that the two men became ill from this new virus, but the mode of transmission from pigs to humans remains unknown...
- A recombinant human monoclonal antibody to human metapneumovirus fusion protein that neutralizes virus in vitro and is effective therapeutically in vivoJohn V Williams
Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, D 7235 Medical Center North, 1161 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37232
J Virol 81:8315-24. 2007..There was a dose-response relationship between the dose of DS7 and virus titer. Human Fab DS7 may have prophylactic or therapeutic potential against severe hMPV infection...
- Biennial spring activity of human metapneumovirus in AustriaStephan W Aberle
Clinical Institute of Virology, Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, Vienna, Austria
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:1065-8. 2008..To gain insight into the seasonality and epidemiologic characteristics of HMPV infection, this study determined the frequency of HMPV infections in hospitalized infants during a 7-year period...
- Human metapneumovirus: a new pathogen in children and adultsJ M Prins
Neth J Med 62:177-9. 2004..Human MPV can also be found in adults, in influenza-like illnesses, but also as a cause of pneumonia. Especially in the latter cases immunosuppressive conditions may be present...
- Molecular characterization of glycoprotein genes and phylogenetic analysis of two swine paramyxoviruses isolated from United StatesDan Qiao
Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, USA
Virus Genes 39:53-65. 2009..Phylogenetic analyses based on both F protein and HN protein suggested the classification of these viruses into the subfamily Paramyxovirinae, genus Respirovirus, and genotype A of BPIV3...
- Complete genome sequence and pathogenicity of two swine parainfluenzavirus 3 isolates from pigs in the United StatesDan Qiao
Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1981 Kraft Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
J Virol 84:686-94. 2010..These two viruses were mildly pathogenic to conventionally reared pigs, and results from a limited enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay-based serosurvey of swine farms in Minnesota and Iowa in 2007 and 2008 were negative...
- Determinanats of Protective Immunity to MetapneumovirusJohn Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed work will provide the candidate skills and experience to be an outstanding physician-scientist in the field of human viral immunology. ..
- Human Metapneumovirus Infections in ChildrenJohn Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004..The specific aims of this study are to define the prevalence of hMPV infection in children, describe fully the spectrum of clinical illness and identify serologic markers of seroconversion and correlates of immunity. ..
- The Role of a Novel Coronavirus In Kawasaki DiseaseJeffrey Kahn; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have identified a novel human virus, designated the New Haven coronavirus that is associated with KD. The goals of this study is to investigate the role of this novel virus in KD. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sixth International Respiratory Syncytial Virus SymposiumANN FALSEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Population-based Surveillance for Zoonotic Influenza AGregory Gray; Fiscal Year: 2005..We are particularly well suited to conduct this work as we have extensive experience conducting both epidemiological and laboratory-based studies of respiratory pathogens. ..
- Human Metapneumovirus in High Risk PopulationsGregory Gray; Fiscal Year: 2005..These data will facilitate the development of more comprehensive epidemiological studies, and guide future intervention studies in reducing HMPV morbidity. ..
- INHIBITION OF OSTEOCLAST ACTIVITY BY OIP-1/HSCALSAKAMURI REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Human Metapneumovirus Infection in AdultsANN FALSEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus Nanoparticle VaccinesJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2008..The development of a new technology for vaccination using nanoparticles also could have wide impact, since such a vaccine technology might be useful in developing vaccines against other infections. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MARROW TRANSPLANT IN CANCER THERAPY T CELL RECOVERYJULIA HURWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..Jude Children's Research Hospital (SJCRH), predicting successful implementation of the proposed studies. ..
- Pathogenesis of RSV disease in the ElderlyEdward Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- SUBCLINICAL CMV INFECTION AFTER MARROW TRANSPLANTATIONWilliam Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2004..This award will support my first step towards obtaining my long-term career goal, which is to be a proficient clinical investigator for infections in the immunocompromised host. ..
- Henoch Schonlein Purpura and Corticosteroid TreatmentPAMELA WEISS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Proteolytic cleavage of the Hendra virus fusion proteinREBECCA DUTCH; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- HMPV Fusion protein-host cell interactionsREBECCA DUTCH; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research will address significant questions concerning the cellular factors which interact with the HMPV fusion protein to facilitate attachment of the virus and entry into cells. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reconstitution of Protective CMV Immunity and Immune Regulation After HAARTAdriana Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..These analyses will define the role of TREG in the inadequate CMV immune reconstitution of HAART recipients. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PARAMYXOVIRUS MEMBRANE FUSIONTRUDY MORRISON; Fiscal Year: 2005..4) explore the role of attachment in initiation of fusion. ..
- Design of peptide entry inhibitors and delivery systems to target emerging henipaAnne Moscona; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Human Antibody Responses to RotavirusJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alphavirus-based Vaccine for Prevention of MPV InfectionJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2008..The consortium submitting this application brings together an experienced investigator group with expertise in pneumovirus and alphavirus virology, immunology, and vaccine development. ..
- Genetic Virulence Markers in Respiratory Syncytial VirusRICHARD MARTINELLO; Fiscal Year: 2006..A committee consisting of established basic scientists, clinical researchers and hospital epidemiology mentors has been established to provide scientific guidance and training oversight. ..
- ONTOGENY OF RSV-SPECIFIC B CELL RESPONSES IN HUMANSJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2001..The data from this work will direct decisions about the best vaccine strategy to use against RSV in neonates, and will delineate basic mechanisms of the ontogeny of B-cell repertoire diversity in humans. ..
- HUMAN MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES THAT NEUTRALIZE VACCINIAJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2002..In summary, this work will yield a safe and effective immunotherapeutic strategy for treatment of vaccinia complications. ..
- Design of peptide entry inhibitors and delivery systems to target emerging henipaAnne Moscona; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Human T Cells Responses to RSVJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Cell-Mediated Immune Responses to Vaccinia VirusesJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will examine many of these questions by taking advantage of new technology that allows for examination of T cell responses at the single cell level, and in an immunodominant epitope specific manner. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Immunomodulation on the Nanoscale (RMI)James Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2004..Immunology and infectious diseases. 2. Materials science, especially nanoparticles, nanowires, and nanofluidics. 3. Instrumented platforms for cellular imaging and control. 4. Biocomputing. ..
- Novel methods for generation of human B cell hybridomasJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- HIV-envelope-specific CD4+ T-cell activation and functional potentialsJulia L Hurwitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results from these experiments may be invaluable to the construction of new, successful HIV-1 vaccines designed to capture the full potentials of the immune response. ..
- Respiratory Viruses and Airflow Obstruction after HCTMichael Boeckh; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will improve our understanding of the interaction between respiratory viruses and late pulmonary complications after HCT, which will ultimately enable us to formulate more rational treatment strategies. ..
- Protease Activation of Newcastle Disease Virus for Oncolytic viral therapyELANKUMARAN SUBBIAH; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our approach will yield a protease-targeted oncolytic virus that can be individualized according to the patient. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- High Throughput Flow Cytometry SorterJames Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2004..The requested instrument will meet all of these demonstrated needs. ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A NOVEL MULTIENVELOPE AIDS VACCINEJULIA HURWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..Project 4 (K. Slobod) builds on these studies, initiating clinical trials of the safety and effectiveness of vaccines comprised of combinations of immunogenic envelopes. ..