Genomes and Genes
Summary: INFLAMMATION of the LIVER in humans caused by HEPATITIS DELTA VIRUS, a defective RNA virus that can only infect HEPATITIS B patients. For its viral coating, hepatitis delta virus requires the HEPATITIS B SURFACE ANTIGENS produced by these patients. Hepatitis D can occur either concomitantly with (coinfection) or subsequent to (superinfection) hepatitis B infection. Similar to hepatitis B, it is primarily transmitted by parenteral exposure, such as transfusion of contaminated blood or blood products, but can also be transmitted via sexual or intimate personal contact.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications229 found, 100 shown here
- Epidemiology, pathogenesis and management of hepatitis D: update and challenges aheadHeiner Wedemeyer
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:31-40. 2010b>Hepatitis D is caused by infection with the hepatitis D virus (HDV) and is considered to be the most severe form of viral hepatitis in humans...
- Establishment of a novel quantitative hepatitis D virus (HDV) RNA assay using the Cobas TaqMan platform to study HDV RNA kineticsIngmar Mederacke
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, Hannover D 30625, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 48:2022-9. 2010Determination of hepatitis D virus (HDV) viremia represents the "gold standard" for the diagnosis of HDV infection. Hepatitis B virus (HBV)-HDV coinfection frequently leads to end-stage liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Humanized chimeric uPA mouse model for the study of hepatitis B and D virus interactions and preclinical drug evaluationMarc Lutgehetmann
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Hepatology 55:685-94. 2012..Treatment with the HBV entry inhibitor Myrcludex-B, efficiently hindered the establishment of HDV infection in vivo...
- Highly endemic hepatitis B infection in rural VietnamVan Thi Thuy Nguyen
School of Public Health and Community Medicine, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:2093-100. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine HBV and HDV prevalence, and identify risk factors for HBV infection...
- A 28-year study of the course of hepatitis Delta infection: a risk factor for cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinomaRaffaella Romeo
A M Migliavacca Center, First Division of Gastroenterology, IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Gastroenterology 136:1629-38. 2009..We tracked the course of HDV infection in 299 patients over a mean period of 233 months...
- Coinfection of hepatitis B and hepatitis delta virus in Belgium: a multicenter BASL study. Prospective epidemiology and comparison with HBV mono-infectionE Ho
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Laboratory Medicine Microbiology, Antwerp University Hospital, Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
J Med Virol 85:1513-7. 2013..6% (6/44) of the patients that were coinfected HBV and HDV were also infected with HCV. In conclusion, this study provided much needed epidemiological data on the current state of HDV infection in Belgium...
- Virology of hepatitis D virusJohn M Taylor
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Semin Liver Dis 32:195-200. 2012Although much of the current understanding of the replication of hepatitis D virus (HDV) has been gained from ex vivo rather than in vivo studies, many seemingly unique aspects have been discovered...
- Commercial real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assays can underestimate or fail to quantify hepatitis delta virus viremiaSégolène Brichler
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie, virologie hygiène, Hôpitaux Universitaires de Paris Seine Saint Denis, Site Avicenne, Assistance Publique, Hopitaux de Paris, Laboratoire Associé au Centre National de Référence des Hépatites B, C et delta, Bobigny
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:734-40. 2013....
- Epidemiology of hepatitis D in patients infected with hepatitis B virus in bucharest: a cross-sectional studyG A Popescu
Infectious Diseases Department, Prof Dr Matei Bals National Institute for Infectious Diseases, Str Calistrat Grozovici, nr 1, sector 2, 021105 Bucharest, Romania
J Med Virol 85:769-74. 2013Epidemiological analyses indicate a decreasing level of hepatitis D (HDV) infections in most developed countries during the last 15 years...
- Hepatitis B virus and hepatitis delta virus genotypes in outbreaks of fulminant hepatitis (Labrea black fever) in the western Brazilian Amazon regionM S Gomes-Gouvêa
Laboratory of Tropical Hepatology and Gastroenterology, Tropical Medicine Institute, Department of Gastroenterology, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Av Dr Enéas Carvalho de Aguiar 500, Sao Paulo, SP 05403 000, Brazil
J Gen Virol 90:2638-43. 2009....
- An update on HDV: virology, pathogenesis and treatmentMónica V Alvarado-Mora
Laboratory of Tropical Gastroenterology and Hepatology João Alves de Queiroz and Castorina Bittencourt Alves, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Department of Gastroenterology, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Antivir Ther 18:541-8. 2013..Current treatments include pegylated interferon-α and liver transplantation; the latter of which can be curative. Further studies are needed to develop better treatment strategies for this challenging disease. ..
- Hepatitis D outbreak among children in a hepatitis B hyper-endemic settlement in GreenlandM L Børresen
Department of Epidemiology Research, Statens Serum Institut, Artillerivej 5, 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Viral Hepat 17:162-70. 2010..We describe an outbreak of hepatitis D (HDV) infection among children in a hepatitis B hyper-endemic settlement of 133 inhabitants on the west coast ..
- Epidemiology of hepatitis DMario Rizzetto
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Torino, Turin, Italy
Semin Liver Dis 32:211-9. 2012b>Hepatitis D occurs worldwide. The major victims of the hepatitis D virus (HDV) are individuals carrying the hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg); around 5% of the HBsAg carriers in the world are infected also by HDV...
- Clinical features of hepatitis DPatrizia Farci
Hepatic Pathogenesis Section, Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Semin Liver Dis 32:228-36. 2012b>Hepatitis D is caused by infection with hepatitis D virus (HDV), a defective RNA virus that requires the obligatory helper function of hepatitis B virus (HBV) for its in vivo transmission...
- One-step real-time PCR assay for detection and quantitation of hepatitis D virus RNAMaja Kodani
Division of Viral Hepatitis, National Center for HIV, Hepatitis, STD and Tuberculosis Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, United States
J Virol Methods 193:531-5. 2013b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) is a defective virus which requires hepatitis B virus (HBV) surface antigen (HBsAg) for its assembly...
- Hepatitis D: Scenario in the Asia-Pacific regionZaigham Abbas
Department of Hepatogastroenterology, Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation, Karachi 74200, Sindh, Pakistan
World J Gastroenterol 16:554-62. 2010b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) infection is present worldwide and affects all age groups. Around 18 million people are estimated to be infected with HDV. An important trend in HDV infection is global decline...
- Hepatitis delta virusJohn M Taylor
Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
Virology 344:71-6. 2006..It starts with a brief overview of HDV and its replication, notes some of the major unresolved questions, and directs the interested reader to more detailed reviews...
- Hepatitis D virus infection in Thailand: HDV genotyping by RT-PCR, RFLP and direct sequencingA Theamboonlers
Dept of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University and Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
Infection 30:140-4. 2002b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) is a degenerate RNA virus or virusoid that requires the surface coat of hepatitis B virus (HBV), i.e. hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg), in order to become infectious...
- Hepatitis D: clinical features and therapyMario Rizzetto
Department of Gastroenterology, Molinette, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Dig Dis 28:139-43. 2010Surveys in the 1980s showed that the hepatitis D virus (HDV) is endemic worldwide, though with prevalences and patterns of infection varying in different areas...
- Denying the wolf access to sheep's clothingTheo Heller
Liver Diseases Research Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 112:319-21. 2003..A new report describes a novel small animal model for HDV replication and demonstrates that prenylation inhibitors are highly effective at clearing viremia and thus have potential relevance for the treatment of chronic delta hepatitis...
- Prevalence, correlates, and viral dynamics of hepatitis delta among injection drug usersLauren M Kucirka
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Infect Dis 202:845-52. 2010..Accurate estimates of prevalence and risk factors are important to help clinicians decide who to screen...
- Prevalence and clinical significance of hepatitis D virus co-infection in patients with chronic hepatitis B in KoreaHyoung Su Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Kangdong Sacred Heart Hospital of Hallym University Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Med Virol 83:1172-7. 2011b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) infection can cause severe acute and chronic liver disease in patients infected with hepatitis B virus (HBV)...
- Hepatic iron overload is common in chronic hepatitis B and is more severe in patients coinfected with hepatitis D virusG Sebastiani
Digestive Diseases, Hepatology and Clinical Nutrition Department, Dell Angelo Hospital, Venice, Italy
J Viral Hepat 19:e170-6. 2012..As HBV/HDV liver disease is generally more rapidly progressive than that caused by HBV monoinfection, we speculate that iron overload may be one of the factors contributing to the severity of liver disease...
- Dynamics of hepatitis D (delta) virus genotype 3 in the Amazon region of South AmericaMónica Viviana Alvarado-Mora
Laboratory of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, São Paulo Institute of Tropical Medicine and Department of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Infect Genet Evol 11:1462-8. 2011..The differences found among HDV/3 and the other HDV genotypes concerning its diversity raises the hypothesis of a different origin and/or a different transmission route...
- Hepatitis D revivalHeiner Wedemeyer
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Liver Int 31:140-4. 2011..Hepatitis delta is caused by infection with the hepatitis D virus (HDV) which requires presence of HBsAg for complete replication and transmission...
- High prevalence of hepatitis B virus and hepatitis D virus in the western Brazilian AmazonSebastião Viana
Postgraduate Program in Tropical Medicine, University of Brasilia, Brasilia, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:808-14. 2005Severe cases of hepatitis caused by hepatitis B virus (HBV) or hepatitis D virus (HDV) are often seen in the Brazilian Amazon, but there is a paucity of epidemiologic studies on viral hepatitis in this area...
- Functional and clinical significance of hepatitis D virus genotype II infectionJ C Wu
Department of Medical Research and Education, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 307:173-86. 2006b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) infection is one of the important etiologies of fulminant hepatitis and may aggravate the clinical course of chronic HBV infection to cirrhosis and liver failure. HDV was classified into three genotypes...
- Hepatitis B, C, and D and HIV infections among immigrants from Equatorial Guinea living in SpainPablo Rivas
Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Unidad de Medicina Tropical, Hospital Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Am J Trop Med Hyg 88:789-94. 2013..Immigrants constitute a major source of HIV and hepatitis viruses in Spain; therefore, it is important that control measures are intensified...
- A re-assessment of the epidemiology and patient characteristics of hepatitis D virus infection in inner city LondonC Y William Tong
Department of Infectious Diseases, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London SE1 7EH, UK
J Infect 66:521-7. 2013To re-assess the prevalence and patient characteristics of hepatitis D virus (HDV) infection among hepatitis B patients in inner city London.
- Seroprevalence and risk factors of hepatitis delta virus in chronic hepatitis B virus infection in ZahedanAlireza Bakhshipour
Department of Medicine, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Acta Med Iran 51:260-4. 2013..3% and 65.9% in carriers, patients with chronic active hepatitis and cirrhosis, respectively. HDV infection is still an important public health problem in Zahedan and appears a major cause of progression of liver disease induced by HBV...
- [Hepatitis D]José Carlos Ferraz da Fonseca
Fundação de Medicina Tropical, Manaus, AM, 69040 000, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 35:181-90. 2002The hepatitis D virus (HDV), also called delta virus, is a small circular RNA virus...
- The increasing prevalence of hepatitis delta virus (HDV) infection in South LondonTimothy J S Cross
Institute of Liver Studies, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, UK
J Med Virol 80:277-82. 2008..HDV co-infection is associated with increased morbidity and patients with HBV should be tested for HDV infection...
- Hepatitis D virus in Victoria 2000-2009B Shadur
WHO Regional Reference Laboratory for Hepatitis B, Victorian Infectious Disease Reference Laboratory, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Intern Med J 43:1081-7. 2013b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) coinfection can adversely affect prognosis and complicate management of chronic hepatitis B...
- Seroprevalence of HDV infection in HBsAg positive population in Ismailia, EgyptNahed I M Gomaa
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
Egypt J Immunol 20:23-8. 2013b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) is a defective RNA virus that needs hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) from HBV for transmission...
- How hepatitis D virus can hinder the control of hepatitis B virusMaria Xiridou
Centre for Infectious Diseases Control, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 4:e5247. 2009b>Hepatitis D (or hepatitis delta) virus is a defective virus that relies on hepatitis B virus (HBV) for transmission; infection with hepatitis D can occur only as coinfection with HBV or superinfection of an existing HBV infection...
- Hepatitis delta virus diagnosisAntonella Olivero
Laboratory of Digestive and Liver Physiopathology, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Turin, Italy
Semin Liver Dis 32:220-7. 2012..The development of an international reference HDV-RNA standard remains an unmet diagnostic need...
- Hepatitis D virus infection in the Western Brazilian Amazon - far from a vanishing diseaseWornei Silva Miranda Braga
Fundação de Medicina Tropical, Manaus, AM
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 45:691-5. 2012A decline in hepatitis D virus (HDV) occurrence was described in Europe and Asia. We estimated HDV prevalence in the Brazilian Amazon following hepatitis B vaccination.
- Hepatitis D virus genotypes in intravenous drug users in taiwan: decreasing prevalence and lack of correlation with hepatitis B virus genotypesJia Horng Kao
Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine and National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 40:3047-9. 2002Of 368 hepatitis B virus (HBV)-infected intravenous drug users, 144 (39%) were positive for antibody to hepatitis D virus (anti-HDV)...
- Alpha interferon and ribavirin combination therapy of chronic hepatitis DSabahattin Kaymakoglu
Department of Gastroenterohepatology, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Capa, 34390, Istanbul, Turkey
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:1135-8. 2005The success of alpha interferon (IFN-alpha) monotherapy for the treatment of chronic hepatitis D is very limited. In this study, the efficacy of IFN-alpha and ribavirin combination therapy for chronic hepatitis D was investigated...
- Role of hepatitis B, C, and D viruses in dual and triple infection: influence of viral genotypes and hepatitis B precore and basal core promoter mutations on viral replicative interferenceR Jardi
Department of Biochemistry, Hospital Universitario Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 34:404-10. 2001..The reciprocal inhibition of viral replication seemed to be little influenced by the inherent genomic factors studied...
- Clinical presentation and genotype of hepatitis delta in KarachiTariq Moatter
Department of Pathology, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
World J Gastroenterol 13:2604-7. 2007..To assess the clinical presentation and genotypes of delta hepatitis in local population...
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in hepatitis D: does it differ from hepatitis B monoinfection?Zaigham Abbas
Department of Medicine, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
Saudi J Gastroenterol 18:18-22. 2012b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) superinfection in patients with chronic hepatitis B leads to accelerated liver injury, early cirrhosis, and decompensation...
- Hepatitis D virus and human immunodeficiency virus antibodies in parenteral drug abusers who are hepatitis B surface antigen positiveD M Novick
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, New York 10003
J Infect Dis 158:795-803. 1988We studied unselected, hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg)-positive parenteral drug abusers for antibody to hepatitis D virus (anti-HD) and antibody to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)...
- The frequency of hepatitis D virus in patients with hepatitis B in Iran: an increasing rate?Mohammad H Somi
Liver and Gastrointestinal Diseases Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Trop Doct 39:154-6. 2009This study sought to determine the seroprevalence of the hepatitis D virus (HDV), the risk factors and its association with the severity of liver disease...
- Triple hepatitis: frequency and treatment outcome of co/super-infection of hepatitis C and D among patients of hepatitis BBader Faiyaz Zuberi
Department of Medicine, Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 18:404-7. 2008..To determine the frequency of hepatitis C and D in patients of chronic hepatitis B and the treatment response of hepatitis B in such patients...
- Prevalence of hepatitis D virus infection in HBsAg positive subjects in IranGholamreza Roshandel
Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Golestan Province, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 10:1751-4. 2007This study was carried out to determine the seroprevalence of hepatitis D virus among HBsAg positive individuals in the northeast part of Iran...
- Coarse nodular US pattern in hepatic cirrhosis: risk for hepatocellular carcinomaEugenio Caturelli
Department of Anatomy and Histopathology, Gastroenterology Unit, Ospedale Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Radiology 226:691-7. 2003..terms of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) risk in hepatic cirrhosis caused by hepatitis B virus (HBV); HBV with hepatitis D virus (HDV), formerly known as hepatitis delta virus; hepatitis C virus (HCV); and alcoholic cirrhosis (ALC) or ..
- Seroprevalence of hepatitis D virus and its risk factors in the west of IranAmir Houshang Mohammad Alizadeh
Research Center for Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 43:519-23. 2010Despite the decreasing trend in hepatitis D virus (HDV) infection worldwide, the importance of this disease cannot be underestimated...
- Chronic hepatitis D: a vanishing Disease? An Italian multicenter studyG B Gaeta
Istituto di Malattie Infettive, Seconda Universita, Napoli, Italy
Hepatology 32:824-7. 2000..The results anticipate the almost complete control of HDV infection in the near future...
- Seropositivity for delta hepatitis in patients with chronic hepatitis B and liver cirrhosis in Turkey: a meta-analysisHalil Degertekin
Department of Gastroenterology, Ufuk University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Liver Int 28:494-8. 2008..Recent reports suggest a decline of delta hepatitis (DH) in the West as well as in the Far East...
- High prevalence of hepatitis B, C and delta virus infections among blood donors in MongoliaB Tsatsralt-Od
Division of Virology, Department of Infection and Immunity, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi ken, Japan
Arch Virol 150:2513-28. 2005....
- Natural history of compensated viral B and D cirrhosisLiana Gheorghe
Hepatology Unit, Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Fundeni Clinical Institute, Str Fundeni no 258, 72437 Bucharest, Romania
Rom J Gastroenterol 14:329-35. 2005..The aim of this study was to define the natural long-term course of HDV compensated cirrhosis...
- Molecular epidemiological and clinical aspects of hepatitis D virus in a unique triple hepatitis viruses (B, C, D) endemic community in TaiwanSheng Nan Lu
Division of Hepato Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Med Virol 70:74-80. 2003The molecular epidemiological and clinical aspects of hepatitis D virus (HDV) in a unique HBV, HCV, and HDV triple virus endemic community in southern Taiwan were investigated...
- Hepatitis delta virus genotype IIb predominates in an endemic area, Okinawa, JapanH Sakugawa
First Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
J Med Virol 58:366-72. 1999..g., United States, Archangelos, Turkey, Albania, Peru). HDV genotype II in the Miyako Islands is therefore unique, and HDV infection may have been introduced at a relatively early time in this area...
- Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis D virus infection among injecting drug users with and without human immunodeficiency virus infection in TaiwanSui Yuan Chang
Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences and Medical Biotechnology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 49:1083-9. 2011..To determine whether clusters of hepatitis D virus (HDV) infection occurred in this outbreak, 4 groups of subjects were studied: group 1, HIV-infected IDU (..
- A comparative epidemiological study of hepatitis B and hepatitis D virus infections in Yanomami and Piaroa Amerindians of Amazonas State, VenezuelaMaría Carolina Duarte
Servicio Autónomo Centro Amazónico de Investigación y Control de Enfermedades Tropicales, Puerto Ayacucho, Venezuela
Trop Med Int Health 15:924-33. 2010To report the prevalences of hepatitis B (HBV) and hepatitis D (HDV) infections in remote and more accessible Yanomami and Piaroa Venezuelan Amazonian Amerindian populations; to estimate incidence per susceptible.
- Tracing hepatitis C and Delta viruses to estimate their contribution in HCC rates in MongoliaF Kurbanov
Department of Clinical Molecular Informative Medicine, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
J Viral Hepat 14:667-74. 2007..Used approach is useful in evaluation of current and prospective disease burden...
- Delta hepatitis: an updatePatrizia Farci
Department of Medical Sciences, University of Cagliari, SS 554, Bivio Sestu, 09042 Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
J Hepatol 39:S212-9. 2003
- Epidemiology and clinical pattern of hepatitis delta virus infection in PakistanKhalid Mumtaz
Department of Medicine, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:1503-7. 2005..The global epidemiology of hepatitis delta virus (HDV) infection is changing. This study was performed to determine the epidemiology and clinical impact of hepatitis delta in Pakistan...
- High prevalence of antibodies to hepatitis A and E viruses and viremia of hepatitis B, C, and D viruses among apparently healthy populations in MongoliaMasaharu Takahashi
Division of Virology, Department of Infection and Immunity, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi Ken 329 0498, Japan
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:392-8. 2004..A nationwide epidemiological survey of hepatitis viruses should be conducted in an effort to prevent de novo infection with hepatitis viruses in Mongolia...
- Virological and clinical characteristics of delta hepatitis in Central EuropeB Heidrich
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Viral Hepat 16:883-94. 2009b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) or delta hepatitis has mainly been studied in Asian and Mediterranean cohorts, but data on virological and clinical characteristics of HDV-infected Central and Northern European patients are limited...
- Seroprevalence of hepatitis B virus and its co-infection with hepatitis D virus and hepatitis C virus in Iranian adult populationRoshandel Gholamreza
Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Indian J Med Sci 61:263-8. 2007..Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection is one of the most prevalent public health problems worldwide (especially in developing countries)...
- High prevalence of dual or triple infection of hepatitis B, C, and delta viruses among patients with chronic liver disease in MongoliaBira Tsatsralt-Od
Division of Virology, Department of Infection and Immunity, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi ken, Japan
J Med Virol 77:491-9. 2005..The 106 HCV RNA-positive samples were typed as genotype 1b (92.5%), 2a (0.9%), or 1b plus 2a (6.6%); mixed infection of two distinct HCV genotypes was found exclusively in the patients with hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Hepatitis DP Husa
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Brno, Jihlavska 20, 625 00 Brno, Czech Republic
Acta Virol 49:219-25. 2005b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) is a small, RNA-containing virus that requires the concomitant presence of Hepatitis B virus (HBV) in an obligate manner for its survival and pathogenicity. HDV infection is very uncommon in Czech Republic...
- Hepatitis delta virus genotypes I and III circulate associated with hepatitis B virus genotype F In VenezuelaA Quintero
, , IVIC, Caracas,
J Med Virol 64:356-9. 2001..These results suggest the circulation of HDV genotype I among Amerindians, probably introduced through European immigrations, and that this HDV genotype is able to replicate in association with HBV genotype F...
- Frequency and comparative analysis of hapatitis D in petients seeking treatment for hepatitis BBader Faiyaz Zuberi
Department of Medicine, Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 16:581-4. 2006..To find the frequency of hepatitis 'D' in patients of hepatitis 'B' seeking treatment and to compare clinical and biochemical features in patients harboring HDV with those who are not...
- Virologic and clinical expressions of reciprocal inhibitory effect of hepatitis B, C, and delta viruses in patients with chronic hepatitisE Sagnelli
Institute of Infectious Diseases, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Hepatology 32:1106-10. 2000..Thus, in multiple hepatitis we observed a reciprocal inhibition of the viral genomes and a more severe liver disease. In Case group b-C, serum HBV DNA was frequent and the clinical presentation was severe...
- Molecular cloning and sequencing of a human hepatitis delta (delta) virus RNAS Makino
Nature 329:343-6. 1987..Five open reading frames (ORFs) of more than 100 amino acids in both genomic and anti-genomic sense were found. The largest ORF in antigenomic sense, which can code for 214 amino acids, may correspond to the HDAg...
- Prevalence of hepatitis D virus infection in hepatitis B surface antigen-positive subjects in Golestan province, northeast IranGholamreza Roshandel
Golestan Research Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Gorgan, Iran
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 41:227-30. 2008b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) is a defective RNA virus dependent on hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection for its replication and expression...
- Multiple viral infectionsGiovanni B Gaeta
Department of Infectious Diseases, Viral Hepatitis Unit, Second University of Naples, Naples 80135, Italy
J Hepatol 44:S108-13. 2006..Studies are needed to assess treatment strategies...
- Clearance of chronic HCV infection during acute delta hepatitisK Deterding
Dept of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Infection 37:159-62. 2009..These data suggest that HCV can be cleared by bystander mechanisms during acute infections with other pathogens which may be considered in the development of immunotherapies for hepatitis C...
- Hepatitis D: thirty years afterMario Rizzetto
Division of Gastroenterology, Molinette University of Turin, Corso Bramante, Turin 10126, Italy
J Hepatol 50:1043-50. 2009The key to the discovery of the Hepatitis D Virus (HDV) was the description in Turin, Italy in the mid-1970s of the delta antigen and antibody in carriers of the hepatitis B surface antigen...
- High prevalence of hepatitis delta virus infection detectable by enzyme immunoassay among apparently healthy individuals in MongoliaJun Inoue
Division of Virology, Department of Infection and Immunity, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi ken, Japan
J Med Virol 76:333-40. 2005..The anti-HDV assay may be useful for further epidemiological studies on HDV infection in larger cohorts in urban and rural areas of Mongolia, where elucidation of the transmission route of HDV is required urgently...
- Natural course and treatment of hepatitis D virus infectionTing Hui Hsieh
Department of Medicine, Maimonides Medical Center, New York, USA
J Formos Med Assoc 105:869-81. 2006b>Hepatitis D virus (HDV) is a subviral satellite with hepatitis B virus (HBV) as its natural helper virus. After entry into hepatocytes, it utilizes host cellular enzymes to replicate by a double-rolling-circle mechanism...
- Replication of human hepatitis delta virus: recent developmentsJohn M Taylor
Fox Chase Cancer Center, 7701 Burholme Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
Trends Microbiol 11:185-90. 2003..This mini-review focuses on advances gained over the last 2-3 years, together with an evaluation of HDV questions that are either unsolved or not yet solved satisfactorily...
- Seroprevalence of hepatitis D virus in patients with hepatitis B virus-related liver diseasesPraloy Chakraborty
Department of Medicine, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India
Indian J Med Res 122:254-7. 2005Several reports indicated a declining trend in the occurrence of hepatitis D virus (HDV) infection in some geographical areas...
- Low prevalence of hepatitis B virus, hepatitis D virus and hepatitis C virus among patients with human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in the Brazilian Amazon basinWornei Silva Miranda Braga
Fundacao de Medicina Tropical do Amazonas, Gerência de Virologia, Manaus, AM, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 39:519-22. 2006..Serological markers for hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus and hepatitis D virus were tested in a consecutive sample of all patients referred for treatment of human immunodeficiency ..
- Treatment of hepatitis DG A Niro
Division of Gastroenterology, Hospital Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, IRCCS, San Giovanni Rotondo FG, Italy
J Viral Hepat 12:2-9. 2005..The response to alpha-interferon (IFN), which still represents the only therapy for chronic hepatitis D, varies widely and occurs at different times from the beginning of treatment...
- The prevalence of hepatitis delta virus infection in acute and chronic liver diseases in Turkey: an analysis of clinical studiesHalil Degertekin
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Dicle University School of Medicine, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 17:25-34. 2006The objective of this study was to review the studies on hepatitis D virus-related liver diseases and to evaluate the national and regional outcomes in order to identify the hepatitis D virus infection in Turkey.
- Does treatment of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection reduce hepatitis delta virus (HDV) replication in HIV-HBV-HDV-coinfected patients?Julie Sheldon
Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Antivir Ther 13:97-102. 2008..Treatment is currently limited to interferon therapy. The role of potent nucleos(t)ide analogues active against HBV has not been well examined in chronic delta hepatitis (CDH)...
- Detection of hepatitis D virus by cDNA microarray methodZhao Hui Sun
Institute of Molecular Oncology, General Hospital of Guangzhou Military Command, Guangzhou 510010, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 3:423-7. 2004..In acute and chronic infections, hepatitis D virus (HDV) infection often leads to a more severe disease...
- Genotype and subtype analyses of hepatitis B virus (HBV) and possible co-infection of HBV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) or hepatitis D virus (HDV) in blood donors, patients with chronic liver disease and patients on hemodialysis in Surabaya, IndonesiaMaria I Lusida
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine and Dr Soetomo Hospital, Surabaya, Indonesia
Microbiol Immunol 47:969-75. 2003..Interestingly, HBsAg titers were lower in HBV carriers with HCV co-infection than in those without HCV co-infection. We also found that prevalence of hepatitis D virus (HDV) co-infection was < 0.5% among HBV carriers in Surabaya.
- Prevalence of hepatitis delta antibody among HBsAG carriers in Saudi ArabiaIbrahim Al-Traif
King Abdulaziz Medical City, King Fahad National Guard Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 24:343-4. 2004..The aim of this study was to determine the exact prevalence of delta antibody in HBsAg positive carriers in Saudi Arabia...
- Recognition of uridine diphosphate glucuronosyl transferases by LKM-3 antibodies in chronic hepatitis DT Philipp
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Lancet 344:578-81. 1994Patients with chronic hepatitis D often have liver-kidney microsomal antibodies type 3 (LKM-3). These antibodies react with several microsomal antigens that have a molecular weight of 55 KDa and an isoelectric point of about 8...
- Infection with hepatitis A, B, C, and delta viruses among patients with acute hepatitis in MongoliaBira Tsatsralt-Od
Division of Virology, Department of Infection and Immunity, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi ken, Japan
J Med Virol 78:542-50. 2006..The distribution of HBV genotypes among the 67 HBV isolates was A (1.5%, n = 1) and D (98.5%, n = 66). The present study indicates that de novo infections of HAV, HBV, HCV, and HDV are prevalent among young adults in Mongolia...
- [Prevalence of hepatitis B and D serological markers in the Parakanã, Apyterewa Indian Reservation, Pará State, Brazil]Heloisa Marceliano Nunes
Seção de Hepatologia, Instituto Evandro Chagas, Avenida Almirante Barroso 492, Belem, PA, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 23:2756-66. 2007....
- Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis B virus in Dakar, SénégalMuriel Vray
Unité d Epidémiologie des Maladies Emergentes, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
J Med Virol 78:329-34. 2006..These results underline the importance of molecular characterization of HBV infection as specific treatments become available in this region...
- Anti-hepatitis delta virus seroprevalence and risk factors in patients with hepatitis B in Southeast TurkeyMustafa K Celen
Dicle Universitesi Hastanesi, Klinik Mikrobiyoloji ve Enfeksiyon Hastaliklari Anabilim Dali, 21280, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Saudi Med J 27:617-20. 2006....
- Use of replacement blood donors to study the epidemiology of major blood-borne viruses in the general population of Maputo, MozambiqueLina Cunha
Gastroenterology Department, Central Hospital, Maputo, Mozambique
J Med Virol 79:1832-40. 2007..of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), human T-cell leukemia/lymphoma virus (HTLV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis D virus (HDV), and hepatitis C virus (HCV) in Mozambique are poorly documented...
- Epidemiology of hepatitis B, C, D and G viruses and cytokine levels among intravenous drug usersJianrong Li
Department of Pathogenic Biology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 26:221-4. 2006..an epidemiological survey of hepatitis viruses including hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), hepatitis D virus (HDV) and hepatitis G virus (HGV) in IVDU...
- Characterization of a hepatitis B and hepatitis delta virus receptor binding siteMatthias Engelke
Department of Molecular Virology, Otto Meyerhof Zentrum OMZ, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Hepatology 43:750-60. 2006..This step is exceptionally sensitive toward inactivation by acylated HBVpreS1 peptides, which therefore represent a novel group of entry inhibitors that could be used for the treatment of hepatitis B and D...
- Lack of anti-HIV activity of entecavir in an HIV patient coinfected with hepatitis B and delta virusesVincent Soriano
AIDS 21:2253-4. 2007
- Fulminant viral hepatitis in KuwaitS Alkandari
Infectious Diseases Hospital, Kuwait
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 82:555-9. 1988..Fulminant hepatitis occurred with equal frequency among males and females, and with the exception of one case, who had a NANB virus infection, the outcome of fulminant viral hepatitis in this study was invariably fatal...
- Hepatitis E virus coinfection with hepatotropic viruses in Egyptian childrenMaysaa El Sayed Zaki
Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 41:254-8. 2008....
- Acute hepatitis delta virus infection in Italy: incidence and risk factors after the introduction of the universal anti-hepatitis B vaccination campaignAlfonso Mele
National Centre of Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, 00162, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 44:e17-24. 2007..Updates on the incidence of and risk factors for acute hepatitis delta virus infection in Italy, as well as in other countries, are lacking, and the impact of the mandatory anti-hepatitis B vaccination has not been evaluated...
- Hepatitis B, C seroprevalence and delta viruses in HIV-1 Senegalese patients at HAART initiation (retrospective study)H Diop-Ndiaye
Bacteriology and Virology Laboratory, Le Dantec University Teaching Hospital, Dakar, Senegal
J Med Virol 80:1332-6. 2008..Further studies are needed to diagnose occult hepatitis in order to set up therapeutic strategies taking into account co-infections by hepatitis viruses in the ART programmes...
- Profile of patients triply infected with HIV and the hepatitis B and C viruses in the HAART eraI Maida
Hospital Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:679-83. 2008..In the absence of HBV therapy, HBV most often actively replicates. HBV/HCV replication or genotypes were not related to the replication of the other virus...
- Prevalence and genetic diversity of hepatitis B and delta viruses in pregnant women in Gabon: molecular evidence that hepatitis delta virus clade 8 originates from and is endemic in central AfricaMaria Makuwa
Laboratoire de Virologie, Centre International de Recherches Medicales, BP 769, Franceville, Gabon
J Clin Microbiol 46:754-6. 2008..6% of the HBsAg-positive women. The HBV strains were of the A3 and E genotypes. The HDV strains belonged to HDV clades 1 and 8. These results provide clear evidence that HDV clade 8 is indigenous to Africa...
- Viral hepatitis in HIV infectionTimothy J S Cross
N Engl J Med 357:90; author reply 91. 2007
- Animal models of hepatitis delta virus infection and diseaseJ L Gerin
Division of Molecular Virology and Immunology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Rockville, Maryland, USA
ILAR J 42:103-6. 2001..The hepadnavirus-infected eastern woodchuck also is capable of supporting HDV replication and offers opportunities for the development of control strategies that might be applicable to human type D hepatitis...
- Hepatitis delta virus infection in mongolia: analyses of geographic distribution, risk factors, and disease severityDambadarjaa Davaalkham
Department of Public Health, Jichi Medical University School of Medicine, Tochigi ken, Japan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:365-9. 2006..26-16.55) predicted the seropositivity for antibody to HDV. These results suggest that parenteral exposures in health care settings and household transmission are the main routes of HDV transmission among Mongolian children...
- Virologic and Serologic Outcomes of Persons with HIV and HBV co-infection on MonoJUDITH ANN ABERG; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will also evaluate for Hepatitis D co-infection, genotype for markers of prognosis and perform resistance testing on those who never suppress or ..
- 2012 International Meeting on the Molecular Biology of Hepatitis B VirusesJohn L Casey; Fiscal Year: 2012..the only definitive meeting that brings together basic scientists in the field of hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis D virus (HDV) from throughout the world...
- 2011 International Meeting on the Molecular Biology of Hepatitis B VirusesMichael D Robek; Fiscal Year: 2011..the only definitive meeting that brings together basic scientists in the field of hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis D virus (HDV) from throughout the world...
- Hepatitis D virus genomic RNA in the etiology of liver cancerAlan Garen; Fiscal Year: 2012..The general aim of the R21 proposal is to determine whether the genomic RNA of hepatitis D virus (HDV gRNA) has the same tumorigenic function as endogenous PSF-binding RNAs, involving binding to PSF and ..
- Host factors involved in viral RNA recombinationPeter Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2006..plant viruses, including poliovirus, dengue virus, infectious bronchitis virus, influenza A virus, hantavirus, hepatitis D virus, Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus, Corona-, Rota-, Flavi-, Calici-, Arteri-, Astro-, Entero-; and ..
- Dissecting the mechanism of viral RNA recombinationPeter Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2004..number of human viruses, including Picorna-, Flavi-, Rota-, Corona-, Calici-, Arteri-, Astro-, Alphaviruses, hepatitis D virus and influenza A virus...
- New broad-spectrum antivirals: target bunyavirusesPatricia Marion; Fiscal Year: 2004..The first successful prototype viral target for this novel antiviral strategy was human hepatitis D virus (HDV)...
- 2009 Molecular Biology of Hepatitis B Viruses MeetingJohn Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2009..represents the only meeting that brings together basic scientists in the field of hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis D (delta) virus (HDV) from around the world. HBV continues to be a major global and US public health problem...
- STRUCTURALLY-BASED COMBINATORIAL DESIGN OF ANTIVIRALSJAMES HOGLE; Fiscal Year: 2004..3) The design of agents that bind to monomers or dimers of the major protein of hepatitis D virus and prevent the formation of functional oligomers.
- 2007 Molecular Biology of Hepatitis B Viruses MeetingWilliam Mason; Fiscal Year: 2007..in this field, which bring together basic scientists[unreadable] in the field of hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis D (delta) virus (HDV) from throughout[unreadable] the entire world...
- OPERATION OF A MOLECULAR VIROLOGY/IMMUNOLOGY LABORATORYJohn Gerin; Fiscal Year: 1999..Studies on the human hepatitis D virus (HDV) which coinfects WHV-infected woodchucks will be expanded to include potential vaccine studies as ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE HEPATITIS B TYPE VIRUSESDon Ganem; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION: Hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis D virus (HDV) are important causes of acute and chronic hepatitis in humans...
- STRUCTURE AND REPLICATION OF HEPATITIS DELTA VIRUSJohn Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Towards a Novel Strategy Against HBV InfectionJohn Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2007..Then, in collaboration with Stressgen Biotechnologies, the developed assays will be used to screen multiple compounds to increase efficacy, and ultimately move to clinical studies. ..
- VIRAHEP-C Clinical CenterAnna Lok; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- HCV NS5A: Molecular Virology and Antiviral TargetJeffrey S Glenn; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will use phage display to identify high affinity random peptide ligands of the AH. Finally, we will explore how our results can be translated into novel anti-HCV strategies. ..
- RECURRENT HEPATITIS B AFTER LIVER TRANSPLANTATIONAnna Lok; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of NF-kappaB Activation in T LymphocytesZhijian Chen; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such knowledge is crucial to understanding and treating various human diseases, including MALT lymphoma and other immune disorders. ..
- MECHANISMS OF SIGNAL INDUCED UBIQUITINATION OF IKBAZhijian Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISM OF INTERFERON ACTIONCHARLES SAMUEL; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, elucidation of the actions of IFN at the molecular level is of importance in view of potential applications of interferon in the clinic. ..
- HCV & ALCHOOL-- EPIDEMIOLOGY & HOST-VIRUS CORRELATESMarion Peters; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Visual Analytics Software Environment for Proteomics Data IntegrationBOBBIE JO MARY WEBB ROBERTSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..proteomicsresource.org/PRC/About.aspx), we will demonstrate the data integration capabilities with the end goal of virulence determinant discovery in Salmonella ..
- HEPATITIS DELTA VIRUS RNA EDITINGJohn Casey; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..