Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inability to urinate. The etiology of this disorder includes obstructive, neurogenic, pharmacologic, and psychogenic causes.
Publications255 found, 100 shown here
- Urinary retention in a patient with West Nile virusAndrew I Shpall
Department of Urology, Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Urology 61:1259. 2003..A 45-year-old man who exhibited urinary retention as a presenting symptom of WNV infection is presented herein...
- Acute urinary retention after I-125 prostate brachytherapy in relation to dose in different regions of the prostateEllen M A Roeloffzen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 80:76-84. 2011To assess the influence of dose in different prostate regions, and the influence of anatomic variation on the risk of acute urinary retention (AUR) after I-125 prostate brachytherapy.
- Postoperative urinary retention: anesthetic and perioperative considerationsGabriele Baldini
Department of Anesthesia, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada
Anesthesiology 110:1139-57. 2009b>Urinary retention is common after anesthesia and surgery, reported incidence of between 5% and 70%. Comorbidities, type of surgery, and type of anesthesia influence the development of postoperative urinary retention (POUR)...
- Pretreatment nomogram to predict the risk of acute urinary retention after I-125 prostate brachytherapyEllen M Roeloffzen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81:737-44. 2011Acute urinary retention (AUR) after iodine-125 (I-125) prostate brachytherapy negatively influences long-term quality of life and therefore should be prevented. We aimed to develop a nomogram to preoperatively predict the risk of AUR.
- Predictive factors of urinary retention following prostate brachytherapyJoseph Bucci
Department of Radiation Oncology, Vancouver Cancer Center, British Columbia Cancer Agency, 600 W 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 4E6, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 53:91-8. 2002To evaluate the incidence and duration of urinary retention requiring catheterization and the factors predictive for these end points.
- Management of acute urinary retention secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia in the UK: a national surveyR Manikandan
Stepping Hill Hospital, Urology, Stockport, Cheshire, UK
BJU Int 93:84-8. 2004To analyse current practice in the management of acute urinary retention (AUR) secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in the UK, and to assess how much of this is evidence-based.
- Risk factors for acute urinary retention requiring temporary intermittent catheterization after prostate brachytherapy: a prospective studyJacob Locke
Radiation Oncology Center, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52:712-9. 2002..We prospectively investigated prognostic factors for men undergoing transperineal radioactive seed implantation for prostate cancer at the University of Washington...
- Sacral neuromodulation for urinary retentionThomas M Kessler
Department of Uro Neurology, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Nat Clin Pract Urol 5:657-66. 2008b>Urinary retention without an identifiable urological cause presents a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge...
- Dutasteride improves outcomes of benign prostatic hyperplasia when evaluated for prostate cancer risk reduction: secondary analysis of the REduction by DUtasteride of prostate Cancer Events (REDUCE) trialClaus G Roehrborn
Department of Urology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9110, USA
Urology 78:641-6. 2011....
- Predicting short-term urinary retention after vaginal prolapse surgeryRobert A Hakvoort
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Spaarne Hospital, Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Neurourol Urodyn 28:225-8. 2009Identification of risk factors for urinary retention after vaginal prolapse surgery.
- Management of postoperative urinary retention: a randomized trial of in-out versus overnight catheterizationHung Lau
Department of Surgery, Tung Wah Hospital, University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, 12 Po Yan Street, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
ANZ J Surg 74:658-61. 2004There has been no consensus on the best catheterization strategy for the management of postoperative urinary retention. A prospective randomized trial was undertaken to establish the best practice guidelines for the management of ..
- Tolerability of acute postoperative pain management: nausea, vomiting, sedation, pruritus, and urinary retention. Evidence from published dataS J Dolin
Pain Clinic, St Richard s Hospital, Chichester PO19 6SE, UK
Br J Anaesth 95:584-91. 2005..data concerning the tolerability (indicated by the incidence of nausea, vomiting, sedation, pruritus, and urinary retention), of three analgesic techniques after major surgery; intramuscular analgesia (i.m...
- Factors influencing risk of acute urinary retention after TRUS-guided permanent prostate seed implantationJuanita Crook
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Health Network, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52:453-60. 2002To look for factors predictive of acute urinary retention (AUR) after permanent seed prostate brachytherapy.
- Factors predictive of urinary retention after a tension-free vaginal tape procedure for female stress urinary incontinenceBumsik Hong
Department of Urology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Urol 170:852-6. 2003We performed this study to evaluate factors related to urinary retention after a tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) procedure for female stress urinary incontinence.
- The effects of combination therapy with dutasteride and tamsulosin on clinical outcomes in men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia: 4-year results from the CombAT studyClaus G Roehrborn
Department of Urology, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9110, USA
Eur Urol 57:123-31. 2010....
- Urinary retention after total hip and knee arthroplastyT Balderi
Department of Anesthesiology, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, QC H3G 1A4, Canada
Minerva Anestesiol 76:120-30. 2010Postoperative urinary retention (POUR) occurs after lower joint arthroplasty with an incidence between 0% and 75%. This vast range reflects the differences in diagnosis and management of POUR...
- Factors influencing postoperative urinary retention in patients undergoing elective inguinal herniorrhaphyJ G Petros
Department of Surgery, St Elizabeth s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02135
Am J Surg 161:431-3; discussion 434. 1991..herniorrhaphy under spinal or general endotracheal anesthesia to determine the incidence of postoperative urinary retention and to assess factors influencing it. The type and location of hernia had no effect on retention...
- Predictive factors of early postoperative urinary retention in the postanesthesia care unitHawa Keita
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Hospital Bichat Claude Bernard, Paris, France
Anesth Analg 101:592-6, table of contents. 2005b>Urinary retention is a common postoperative complication associated with bladder overdistension and the risk of permanent detrusor damage...
- Symptom deterioration during treatment and history of AUR are the strongest predictors for AUR and BPH-related surgery in men with LUTS treated with alfuzosin 10 mg once dailyMark Emberton
Department of Urology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Urology 66:316-22. 2005To assess the predictors of acute urinary retention (AUR) and/or surgery related to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in 3514 men complaining of lower urinary tract symptoms and treated for 6 months with the selective alpha1-blocker ..
- Acute urinary retention after magnetic resonance image-guided prostate brachytherapy with and without neoadjuvant external beam radiotherapyDaniel M Landis
Joint Center for Radiation Therapy Residency Training Program, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Urology 65:750-4. 2005To evaluate the risk of acute urinary retention (AUR) and sequelae after urethra-sparing magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided prostate brachytherapy.
- Herpes zoster-induced acute urinary retentionBen Addison
Department of General Surgery, North Shore Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Emerg Med Australas 25:279-81. 2013b>Urinary retention is a common acute presentation for men in their later decades. Potential contributing pathologies are numerous...
- Urinary retention, erectile dysfunction and meningitis due to sacral herpes zoster: a case report and review of the literatureB Erol
Zonguldak Karaelmas University, Zonguldak, Turkey
Urol Int 82:238-41. 2009..In the present case report, we state an unusual presentation of sacral zona zoster with urinary retention, erectile dysfunction and meningitis.
- Holmium laser enucleation of prostate for patients in urinary retentionEhab A Elzayat
Division of Urology, McGill University School of Medicine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Urology 66:789-93. 2005To evaluate holmium laser enucleation of the prostate in patients presenting in urinary retention secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Decline in urinary retention incidence in 805 patients after prostate brachytherapy: the effect of learning curve?Mira Keyes
Department of Radiation Oncology, Vancouver Cancer Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64:825-34. 2006To evaluate the incidence and factors predictive of acute urinary retention (AUR) in 805 consecutive patients treated with prostate brachytherapy monotherapy and to examine the possible effect of a learning curve.
- The impact of acute urinary retention after iodine-125 prostate brachytherapy on health-related quality of lifeEllen M A Roeloffzen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 77:1322-8. 2010To evaluate the impact of acute urinary retention (AUR) in patients treated with (125)I prostate brachytherapy on short- and long-term health-related quality of life (HRQOL); and to assess whether pretreatment HRQOL has additional value ..
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and increased risk of acute urinary retentionKatia M C Verhamme
Department of Medical Informatics, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, Netherlands
Arch Intern Med 165:1547-51. 2005Acute urinary retention (AUR) is characterized by the sudden inability to urinate, which is usually extremely painful and requires catheterization...
- Cognitive dysfunction, urinary retention, and a lesion in the thalamus--beware of possible toxocariasis of the central nervous systemRainer Scheid
Day Clinic of Cognitive Neurology, University of Leipzig, Germany
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 110:1054-7. 2008..Blood and CSF analyses were positive for Toxocara canis IgG Western-blot, but were otherwise unremarkable. The case report raises the question whether there are chronic or late variants of this disease...
- Does open radical retropubic prostatectomy decrease the risk of acute urinary retention?Basir Tareen
Department of Urology, NYU School of Medicine, New York 10016, USA
Urology 72:821-4. 2008Development of acute urinary retention (AUR) is common in the aging male. The pathophysiology of AUR is attributed primarily to prostatic obstruction...
- Endoscopic treatment of multiple prostatic calculi causing urinary retentionSelahattin Bedir
Department of Urology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Urol 12:693-5. 2005..All of these results show that the origin of bladder and prostatic stones can be the same. This case also supports a theory of intraprostatic reflux and urine stasis...
- Acute urinary retention after transperineal template-guided prostate biopsySteven J Buskirk
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic, 4500 San Pablo Road, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:1360-6. 2004b>Urinary retention occurs in 5%-36% of patients with prostate cancer after implantation of radioactive seeds for brachytherapy. We used transperineal biopsy as a model to determine the influence of needle trauma on urinary retention.
- Quality of life and clinical symptom improvement support prostatic artery embolization for patients with acute urinary retention caused by benign prostatic hyperplasiaFrancisco C Carnevale
Department of Radiology, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Rua Teodoro Sampaio, 352 17, Sao Paulo 05406 000, Brazil
J Vasc Interv Radiol 24:535-42. 2013To show that prostatic artery embolization (PAE) improves quality of life (QoL) and lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with acute urinary retention caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Acute urinary retention: what is the impact on patients' quality of life?Kay Thomas
Urology Department, St George s Hospital, London, UK
BJU Int 95:72-6. 2005To evaluate the impact of admission for acute urinary retention (AUR) on patients' health-related quality of life (HRQoL) compared with that on admission for elective surgery for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and emergency admission ..
- Significance of histological prostatitis in patients with urinary retention and underlying benign prostatic hyperplasia or adenocarcinoma of the prostateStephan P J van Vuuren
Department of Urology, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
BJU Int 109:1194-7. 2012To compare the clinical features of patients having urinary retention and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) with those having adenocarcinoma of the prostate (ACP) and to evaluate the significance of histological prostatitis.
- Inhaled anticholinergic drug therapy and the risk of acute urinary retention in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a population-based studyAnne Stephenson
Department of Medicine, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Arch Intern Med 171:914-20. 2011..The systemic anticholinergic effects of IAC therapy have not been extensively studied. This study sought to determine the risk of acute urinary retention (AUR) in seniors with COPD using IACs.
- [S1 Herpes zoster localization: acute urinary retention in woman]Marco Vella
Dipartimento Materno Infantile e di Urologia e Andrologia, A O U Policlinico Paolo Giaccone di Palermo, Italy
Urologia 78:145-7. 2011Acute urinary retention in women is rare. The varicella-zoster virus causes inflammatory lesions of the sensory-root ganglions, meninges and, less frequently, spinal cord...
- Recurrent urinary retention due to imperforate hymen after hymenotomy failure: a rare case report and review of the literatureSara Abu-Ghanem
Department of Urology, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University, Faculty of Health Sciences, Beer Sheva, Israel
Urology 78:180-2. 2011Acute urinary retention (AUR) is unusual in children. We report for the first time a case of recurrent urinary retention due to massive hematocolpos resulting from an imperforate hymen in a 14-year-old girl...
- Acute urinary retention: defining the need and timing for pressure-flow studiesD Dubey
Department of Urology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow 226014, India
BJU Int 88:178-82. 2001To investigate the utility of "late" pressure-flow studies in predicting the outcome of prostatectomy for acute urinary retention.
- Acute urinary retention attributable to sacral herpes zosterJ Acheson
Department of Surgery, Antrim Area Hospital, 45 Bush Road, Antrim BT28 3QE, Northern Ireland
Emerg Med J 21:752-3. 2004Acute urinary retention in women is uncommon. A 63 year old woman presented with suprapubic pain, a palpable bladder, and multiple grouped vesicles on the right buttock. Catheterisation showed a residual of 2000 ml...
- [Clinical study of acute urinary retention]Nobutaka Shimizu
Department of Urology, Kinki University School of Medicine
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 97:839-43. 2006Clinical study of acute urinary retention seen by this department.
- Use of epidural anesthesia and the risk of acute postpartum urinary retentionKimberly L Musselwhite
Calgary Health Region, Calgary, AB, Canada
Am J Obstet Gynecol 196:472.e1-5. 2007We aimed to examine the relationship between the use of epidural analgesia during labor and acute postpartum urinary retention.
- Postoperative urinary retention: evaluation of patients using opioids analgesicMaria do Carmo Barretto de Carvalho Fernandes
Rev Lat Am Enfermagem 15:318-22. 2007The study aimed to determine the occurrence of urinary retention in patients using opioid analgesic and to describe the method used for vesical relief...
- Acute urinary retention in a 9-year-old child: an atypical presentation of acute appendicitisRick C Place
Department of Emergency Medicine, Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, Virginia 20042, USA
J Emerg Med 31:173-5. 2006Acute urinary retention is unusual in childhood and when present is likely to have an identifiable cause...
- Postoperative urinary retention after surgery for benign anorectal disease: potential risk factors and strategy for preventionTakayuki Toyonaga
Department of Surgery, Matsushima Hospital Colo Proctology Center, 19 11 Tobehoncho, Nishi ku, Yokohama, Japan
Int J Colorectal Dis 21:676-82. 2006This study was undertaken to determine the incidence of and risk factors for urinary retention after surgery for benign anorectal disease.
- Incidence of primary and recurrent acute urinary retention between 1998 and 2003 in EnglandPaul Cathcart
Clinical Effectiveness Unit, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 35 43 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PE, UK
J Urol 176:200-4; discussion 204. 2006We report how the incidence of primary and recurrent acute urinary retention changed in England between 1998 and 2003...
- Spontaneous versus precipitated AUR: the same?S Alan McNeil
Department of Urology, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK
World J Urol 24:354-9. 2006The differentiation between spontaneous and precipitated acute urinary retention was initially made by the PLESS study group...
- An unusual pathological finding of chronic lymphocitic leukemia and adenocarcinoma of the prostate after transurethral resection for complete urinary retention: case reportRiccardo Ballario
Divisione Clinicizzata d Urologia, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
BMC Cancer 4:95. 2004..The contemporary presence of CLL, adenocarcinoma of the prostate and residual prostatic gland after transurethral resection has never been reported before and the authors illustrate how they managed this unusual patient...
- Incomplete emptying and urinary retention in multiple-system atrophy: when does it occur and how do we manage it?Takashi Ito
Department of Neurology, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
Mov Disord 21:816-23. 2006Neurogenic urinary retention can be a major cause of morbidity in multiple-system atrophy (MSA)...
- Structural assessment of the urethral sphincter in women with urinary retentionD E Andrich
Institute of Urology, London, United Kingdom
J Urol 173:1246-51. 2005The pathophysiology of urinary retention in women is generally unknown but a subgroup of women with urinary retention have been diagnosed as having so-called primary disorder of sphincter relaxation on the basis of an abnormal urethral ..
- Celecoxib to decrease urinary retention associated with prostate brachytherapySteven J Feigenberg
Department of Radiation Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Brachytherapy 2:103-7. 2003To retrospectively evaluate the effect of celecoxib in preventing urinary retention following prostate brachytherapy.
- Postoperative urinary retention after primary colorectal cancer resection via laparotomy: a prospective study of 2,355 consecutive patientsChung Rong Changchien
Department of Surgery, Colorectal Section, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Dis Colon Rectum 50:1688-96. 2007The risk factors for postoperative urinary retention after colorectal carcinoma surgery can be clearly defined. This study was designed to determine risk factors for postoperative urinary retention after colorectal cancer surgery.
- Corticosteroid use after prostate brachytherapy reduces the risk of acute urinary retentionD E Sacco
Department of Urology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
BJU Int 91:345-9. 2003To evaluate the role of short-term steroids after prostate brachytherapy to reduce oedema and thus the risk of urinary retention associated with brachytherapy, as this can require surgical intervention and may even result in incontinence.
- [Effect of electroacupuncture of different acupoints on the excitability of detrusor muscle and the expression of BDNF and TrkB in the spinal cord of rats with urinary retention due to spinal cord injury]Jun Hua Wang
Department of Rehabilitation of Taihe Hospital Affiliated to Yunyang Medical College, Shiyan 442000, China
Zhen Ci Yan Jiu 34:387-92. 2009..of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and tropomyosine receptor kinase B (TrkB) in the spinal cord and the excitability of detrusor muscle of the uninary bladder in rats with urinary retention owing to spinal cord injury (SCI).
- Acute urinary retention and urinary incontinenceL A Curtis
Department of Emergency Medicine, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 19:591-619. 2001..Neurologic and pharmacologic causes need to be considered in all patients. Urinary incontinence that is not caused by a neurologic emergency can be referred for further outpatient evaluation...
- Urinary retention following routine neurosurgical spine proceduresN M Boulis
Section of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109, USA
Surg Neurol 55:23-7; discussion 27-8. 2001BACKGROUND: The rate and duration of urinary retention after routine cervical and lumbar spine procedures were studied...
- [A case of primary malignant lymphoma of the prostate presenting as urinary retention]Toshiro Kinouchi
The Department of Urology, Ikeda Municipal Hospital, Japan
Hinyokika Kiyo 56:589-92. 2010..An 84-year-old man was referred to our hospital with a chief complaint of urinary retention. Magnetic resonance imaging showed a large mass below the bladder and in front of the rectum...
- Is it necessary to remove foleys catheter late after transurethral prostatectomy in patients who presented with acute urinary retention secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia?Sonmukh Das Bhagia
The Kidney Centre Postgraduate Training Institute, Karachi, Pakistan
J Pak Med Assoc 60:739-41. 2010To assess the influence of early versus late removal of catheter after Transurethral Prostatectomy (TURP) in patients who presented with Acute Urinary Retention (AUR), at our centre.
- A prospective study of conservatively managed acute urinary retention: prostate size mattersV Kumar
Michael Heal Department of Urology, Leighton Hospital, Crewe, UK
BJU Int 86:816-9. 2000..in a prospective study the medium- to long-term outcome of a policy of conservatively managing acute urinary retention (AUR), arising solely by bladder outlet obstruction caused by benign prostatic enlargement (BPE), and to ..
- Congenital pelvic arteriovenous malformation presenting with urinary retention: a case reportFayez T Hammad
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Med Princ Pract 20:294-6. 2011To report a case of congenital pelvic arteriovenous malformation (pAVM) with urinary retention.
- Electroacupuncture improves voiding function in patients with neurogenic urinary retention secondary to cauda equina injury: results from a prospective observational studyZhishun Liu
Department of Acupuncture, Guang An Men Hospital, China
Acupunct Med 29:188-92. 2011To report the therapeutic effectiveness and feasibility of electroacupuncture (EA) treatment in patients with urinary retention which is caused by cauda equina injury and refractory to conventional conservative treatments.
- Management of acute urinary retention: a worldwide survey of 6074 men with benign prostatic hyperplasiaJohn M Fitzpatrick
Department of Urology, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital and University College, Dublin, Ireland
BJU Int 109:88-95. 2012To evaluate the management of acute urinary retention (AUR) associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in real-life practice. To identify predictors of successful trial without catheter (TWOC).
- National incidence and outcomes of postoperative urinary retention in the Surgical Care Improvement ProjectAlex K Wu
Department of Urology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Surg 204:167-71. 2012The national incidence of postoperative urinary retention (POUR), its risk factors, and associated outcomes are not well understood.
- Subpubic cartilaginous cyst presenting as acute urinary retention: a report and review of the literatureGeorge M Ghareeb
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg 19:58-60. 2013..We describe a case of a postmenopausal female with acute urinary retention secondary to a periurethral cyst, and provide a literature review of previously reported cases of women with ..
- [The effect of electroacupuncture on the function of the partially denervated bladder in rabbits]H Ben
Institute of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing
Zhen Ci Yan Jiu 18:68-72. 1993..But on the third day and the sixth day after operation the residual urine decreased more evident in electroacupuncture group than in control group (P < 0.05).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Acute urinary retention in elderly menMary Beth Thorne
Medical Service, G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi School of Medicine, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Am J Med 122:815-9. 2009Acute urinary retention is a urologic emergency that can affect elderly men. It requires prompt bladder decompression and identification of the underlying cause...
- [Awn needle therapy on the impact of urinary retention after spinal cord injury]Ren Fu Quan
Xiaoshan TCM Hospital, Xiaoshan 311201, Zhejiang, China
Zhongguo Gu Shang 26:54-8. 2013To investigate the therapeutic mechanism of point 8L54-through-point ST2S acupuncture with elongate needles in treating urinary retention after spinal cord injury.
- Urinary retention in adults: diagnosis and initial managementBrian A Selius
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, St Elizabeth Health Center, Youngstown, Ohio 44504, USA
Am Fam Physician 77:643-50. 2008b>Urinary retention is the inability to voluntarily void urine. This condition can be acute or chronic...
- [A case of urinary retention caused by true phimosis]Tomonori Minagawa
Department of Urology, Azumino Red Cross Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 54:427-9. 2008We report a case of urinary retention caused by true phimosis in a 67-year-old man with untreated diabetes mellitus...
- Experience with the management of urethral stones presenting with urinary retention at GusauA Ahmed
Department of Surgery, Federal Medical Centre Gusau, Zamfara State, Nigeria
Niger J Clin Pract 11:309-11. 2008..Urethral stone is an uncommon cause of acute urinary retention. It presents with an emergency management scenario which is compounded by lack of endoscopic facilities in ..
- The effect of intermittent versus continuous bladder catheterization on labor duration and postpartum urinary retention and infection: a randomized trialShmuel Evron
Obstetric Anesthesia Unit, Department of Anesthesia, The Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
J Clin Anesth 20:567-72. 2008..To assess the effect of intermittent versus continuous bladder catheterization on labor duration and local anesthetic consumption...
- Association between severity of schizophrenic symptoms and urinary retentionR Shiloh
Geha Psychiatric Hospital, Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Eur Psychiatry 16:497-500. 2001A case is presented in which severe urinary retention (UR) occurred during an acute psychotic exacerbation of paranoid schizophrenia...
- Hematocolpos causing severe urinary retention in an adolescent girl with imperforate hymen: an uncommon presentationAdam Gyimadu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 280:461-3. 2009Hematocolpos is rarely presented as a pelvic mass which mechanically compresses the bladder and the urethra thereby causing urinary retention.
- Early urinary retention after catheter removal following radical prostatectomy predicts for future symptomatic urethral stricture formationJeffrey S Montgomery
Department of Urology, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0330, USA
Urology 70:324-7. 2007b>Urinary retention after urethral catheter removal is a well-established complication of radical prostatectomy (RP). Its effect on subsequent urethral stricture formation has not been established...
- Clinical predictors of urinary retention after pelvic reconstructive and stress urinary incontinence surgeryYuko M Komesu
Division of Female Pelvic Floor Disorders, Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center and Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Lovelace Health Systems, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 5286, USA
J Reprod Med 52:611-5. 2007..To evaluate the impact of perioperative variables on length of postoperative catheterization...
- Loperamide cause of prolonged urinary retention after acute gastroenteritisB Focarelli
Department of Paediatric Science, Urodynamic Laboratory, Catholic University Medical School, Rome, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 11:65-7. 2007b>Urinary retention is uncommon in children and only one case has been described in literature with loperamide treatment...
- Mortality in men admitted to hospital with acute urinary retention: database analysisJames N Armitage
Clinical Effectiveness Unit, Royal College of Surgeons of England, London WC2A 3PE
BMJ 335:1199-202. 2007To investigate mortality in men admitted to hospital with acute urinary retention and to report on the effects of comorbidity on mortality.
- A pre-emptive multimodal pathway featuring peripheral nerve block improves perioperative outcomes after major orthopedic surgeryJames R Hebl
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 33:510-7. 2008..Perioperative outcomes and major postoperative complications were evaluated...
- Imperforate hymen and urinary retention in a newborn girlFarzaneh Sharifiaghdas
Department of Urology, Shahid Labbafinejad Medical Center, Shahid Beheshti Medical University, Tehran, Iran
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 22:49-51. 2009b>Urinary retention is relatively rare in infants,especially in girls. Imperforate hymen is the most frequent congenital malformation of the female genital tract and is usually asymptomatic until puberty...
- The role of the IPSS (International Prostate Symptoms Score) in predicting acute retention of urine in patients undergoing major joint arthroplastyS Elkhodair
Luton and Dunstable Hospital, Luton, UK
Surgeon 3:63-5. 2005Acute urinary retention following major joint arthroplasty is common. It does necessitate instrumentation, puts patients at risk of complications, and causes discomfort and embarrassment...
- Long-term outcome of patients with a successful trial without catheter, after treatment with an alpha-adrenergic receptor blocker for acute urinary retention caused by benign prostatic hyperplasiaK L Lo
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Int Urol Nephrol 42:7-12. 2010To perform a retrospective review of long-term outcome for patients with a first episode of acute urinary retention (AUR) who could void successfully after the initial trial without catheter (TWOC) after treatment with an alpha-..
- Hernia surgery, anesthetic technique, and urinary retention-apples, oranges, and kumquats?Michael F Mulroy
Reg Anesth Pain Med 27:587-9. 2002
- Alpha blocker therapy for children with dysfunctional voiding and urinary retentionMark P Cain
Department of Urology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA
J Urol 170:1514-5; discussion 1516-7. 2003..We evaluated the safety and efficacy of using selective alpha blocker therapy for children with uncomplicated voiding dysfunction and underlying poor bladder emptying...
- Tamsulosin reduces the incidence of acute urinary retention following early removal of the urinary catheter after radical retropubic prostatectomyRupa Patel
Department of Urology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Urology 62:287-91. 2003To determine the efficacy of tamsulosin in preventing acute urinary retention following early catheter removal after radical retropubic prostatectomy.
- Lhermitte sign and urinary retention: atypical presentation of oxaliplatin neurotoxicity in four patientsSarah Taieb
Medical Oncology Unit, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, France
Cancer 94:2434-40. 2002..A persistent sensory peripheral neuropathy may develop with prolonged treatment, eventually causing superficial and deep sensory loss, sensory ataxia and functional impairment...
- Total joint arthroplasty and incidence of postoperative bacteriuria with an indwelling catheter or intermittent catheterization with one-dose antibiotic prophylaxis: a prospective randomized trialI C van den Brand
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Isala Clinics, Weezenlanden, Zwolle, The Netherlands
J Arthroplasty 16:850-5. 2001..showed a preference for an indwelling catheter over intermittent catheterization to resolve postoperative urinary retention in total joint arthroplasty, but these studies generally used 48 hours of antibiotic prophylaxis...
- Urinary retention after elective cholecystectomyH Kulacoglu
Department of Surgery, Ankara Numune Teaching and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Surg 182:226-9. 2001There are few reports about urinary retention rate after elective cholecystectomy. We designed a prospective study to assess the problem.
- Postoperative urinary retentionDaniela M Darrah
Department of Anesthesiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029 6500, USA
Anesthesiol Clin 27:465-84, table of contents. 2009Postoperative urinary retention (PUR) is a common complication of surgery and anesthesia. The risk of retention is especially high after anorectal surgery, hernia repair, and orthopedic surgery and increases with advancing age...
- Impact of delaying 5-alpha reductase inhibitor therapy in men on alpha-blocker therapy to treat BPH: assessment of acute urinary retention and prostate-related surgeryMichael Naslund
University of Maryland School of Medicine, 29 S Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 25:2663-9. 2009..The purpose of this study was to assess the clinical impact of delayed 5ARI therapy in patients treated with AB for lower urinary tract symptoms...
- Can a urinary tract symptom score predict the development of postoperative urinary retention in patients undergoing lower limb arthroplasty under spinal anaesthesia? A prospective studyS M Sarasin
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, Derby, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 88:394-8. 2006..This prospective audit investigates whether postoperative urinary retention can be predicted pre-operatively using the validated International Prostate Symptom Severity score (IPSS).
- Transurethral prostatic resection or laser therapy for men with acute urinary retention: the ClasP randomized trialK N Chacko
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
J Urol 166:166-70; discussion 170-1. 2001PURPOSE: Transurethral resection of the prostate is the standard operation for acute urinary retention, although laser prostatectomy is reportedly effective and safe...
- Urinary retention and the role of indwelling catheterization following total knee arthroplastyP Kumar
Department of Urology, Homerton University Hospital, London, UK
Int Braz J Urol 32:31-4. 2006We aimed to investigate the rate of urinary retention after knee arthroplasty, the various factors involved in predicting those at risk for retention and to assess the impact of retention and catheterization on joint sepsis.
- Urinary retention following lower limb arthroplasty: analysis of predictive factors and review of literatureRahul Kotwal
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, University Hospital of Wales and Llandough Hospital, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Acta Orthop Belg 74:332-6. 2008Acute urinary retention is a common complication after lower limb arthroplasty...
- Transient urinary retention in acute right lateral medullary infarctionKyung Bok Lee
Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, Soonchunhyang University, Yongsan gu, Seoul, Korea
Neurologist 14:312-5. 2008..The urinary retention in this patient might be caused by interruption of descending fibers from facilitatory pontine tegmentum ..
- Acute urinary retention caused by a large peritoneal inclusion cyst: a case reportArnold P Advincula
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
J Reprod Med 51:202-4. 2006Pelvic masses have been known to cause bladder symptoms and compression. This is the first documented case of a large peritoneal inclusion cyst causing acute urinary retention from bladder outlet obstruction.
- Penile block is associated with less urinary retention than caudal anesthesia in distal hypospadia repair in childrenMartin Lothar Metzelder
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany
World J Urol 28:87-91. 2010..widely recommended due to excellent analgesia in distal hypospadia repairs, but its potential side effect on urinary retention interferes with patient comfort...
- Intravesical prostatic protrusion is better than prostate volume in predicting the outcome of trial without catheter in white men presenting with acute urinary retention: a prospective clinical studyParamananthan Mariappan
Department of Urology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Urol 178:573-7; discussion 577. 2007Trial without catheter after a short course of an alpha-blocker in men presenting with acute urinary retention is successful in up to 50% of cases. The ability to better predict outcome could avoid a trial without catheter for some men...
- Management outcome of acute urinary retention: model of predictionPadraig Daly
Department of Urology, Mercy University Hospital, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Urol Int 83:39-43. 2009To assess for predictors of outcome in patients presenting with acute urinary retention (AUR).
- Postherniorrhaphy urinary retention--effect of local, regional, and general anesthesia: a reviewPeter Jensen
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology 435, University of Copenhagen, Hvidovre Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Reg Anesth Pain Med 27:612-7. 2002Postherniorrhaphy urinary retention (UR) may depend on the anesthetic technique. We therefore reviewed available published studies of UR in relation to anesthetic technique.
- Solifenacin appears effective and well tolerated in patients with symptomatic idiopathic detrusor overactivity in a placebo- and tolterodine-controlled phase 2 dose-finding studyC R Chapple
Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK, Puigvert Foundation, Barcelona, Spain
BJU Int 93:71-7. 2004..To evaluate the dose-response relationship and safety/tolerability of solifenacin succinate (YM905) in the treatment of overactive bladder (OAB), and to compare its efficacy and safety/tolerability with tolterodine 2 mg twice daily...
- Ultrasonic measurement of bladder weight as a possible predictor of acute urinary retention in men with lower urinary tract symptoms suggestive of benign prostatic hyperplasiaHiroaki Miyashita
Department of Urology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Ultrasound Med Biol 28:985-90. 2002Acute urinary retention (AUR) is one of the most undesirable events for elderly men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Alfuzosin once daily facilitates return to voiding in patients in acute urinary retentionS A McNeill
Department of Urology, Western General Hospital, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Urol 171:2316-20. 2004We confirmed the beneficial effect of the alpha1-blocker alfuzosin for the acute management of acute urinary retention (AUR) related to benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH), and further identified factors influencing the success of a trial ..
- An overlooked cause of acute urinary retention in an adolescent girl: a case reportErtan Adali
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yuzuncu Yil University School of Medicine, Van, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:701-3. 2009Massive hematocolpos resulting from an imperforate hymen is quite a rare cause of acute urinary retention, in an adolescent girl admitted to the emergency department.
- Disposable Valved Intraurethral Catheter FeasibilityHarvey D Homan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Surinate(tm) is intended to treat chronic male urinary retention (such as that caused by spinal cord injury and neurological diseases) and acute male urinary retention (such ..
- A Web Based Self Management Intervention for Intermittent Urinary Catheter UseMary H Wilde; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clean intermittent catheterization (CIC) is the preferred bladder management method for people with chronic urinary retention, including those with spinal cord injury (SCI)...
- Steroid hormones and SFRP1 in the age-related incidence of BPH and BOOPaul C Marker; Fiscal Year: 2013..prostatic buds, changes in the morphology of the prostatic peri- urethral region, and a high incidence of urinary retention indicative of BOO...
- ENERGY BALANCE AND RISK OF BPH-RELATED OUTCOMES AND LUTS: A PROSPECTIVE STUDYSiobhan Sutcliffe; Fiscal Year: 2012..leading to considerable bother and decreased quality of life, as well as severe complications, such as acute urinary retention and, in the most severe cases, death...
- Bladder drug delivery using intravesical liposomes to treat overactive bladderJONATHAN H KAUFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..by many adverse effects such as impaired detrusor contractility, large post-void residual volumes and urinary retention. We hypothesize that adverse effects of BoNT can be drastically reduced by restricting its action only to ..
- Fibrosis-Associated Urinary Gene Transcripts for LUTS Detection and TreatmentJill A Macoska; Fiscal Year: 2013..force of stream, incomplete bladder emptying, and nocturia which can progress to bladder dysfunction and urinary retention. LUTS is a costly and potentially critical medical problem for millions of aging American men...
- Stimulation mediated sensory enhancement of the urethral afferentsZachary C Danziger; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Urinary retention is a disease of the urinary tract that prevents hundreds of thousands of people from properly emptying the contents of their bladder...
- Benzodiazepine Analogs as Novel Treatments for CatatoniaHOWARD P SARD; Fiscal Year: 2012..patients suffer from a wide range of ailments including bed sores, deep venous thrombi, pulmonary emboli, urinary retention, infection, and aspiration pneumonia, which can lead to severe medical impairment and death...
- Saw palmetto and Pygeum africanum on BPH ProgressionKevin T McVary; Fiscal Year: 2010..Progression parameters will include: 1) changes in the AUA symptom score, 2) urinary retention, 3) recurrent UTI, 4) renal insufficiency, 5) urinary incontinence or 6) crossover to known therapy...
- MEDICAL THERAPY IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAMichael Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2001..Clinically important BPH endpoints include acute urinary retention, increasing renal failure, severe bladder decompensation with chronic retention and incontinence, recurrent ..
- MPSA Pathology Coordinating CenterM Lucia; Fiscal Year: 2004..Treatment for BPH approaches $5 billion annually. Prostate enlargement may lead to urinary retention and, in some cases, renal impairment...
- Formulated Phytosterols - A New Treatment For Benign Prostatic HyperplasiaCURTIS SPILBURG; Fiscal Year: 2006..it produces a decreasing quality of life because of deterioration of urinary flow rate, nocturia and acute urinary retention. While drugs are currently used to treat this condition, many men would prefer to use plant sterol-..
- Disposable Valved Intraurethral Catheter FeasibilityPhillip Davis; Fiscal Year: 2005Urovalve, Inc. has developed a user operated valved catheter to enable people with chronic urinary retention to pursue more active lives and decrease the high incidence of urinary tract infections...
- MEDICAL THERAPY FOR BPH--DATA COORDINATING CENTERPAMELA BURROWS; Fiscal Year: 2001..Clinical progression of BPH is defined by the incidence of acute urinary retention, renal insufficiency, recurrent urinary tract infections, incontinence, or a pre-specified increase in the ..
- Predictors of Hospital-Acquired Urinary Tract-Related Bloodstream InfectionSanjay Saint; Fiscal Year: 2009..Of particular interest are the use of catheterization, ultrasound detection of urinary retention, antibiotics, immunosuppressant therapies, statin use, and allogeneic blood transfusions...
- MEDICAL THERAPY OF PROSTATIC SYMPTONS (MTOPS)Kevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2001..Bladder neck obstruction secondary to BPH can result in renal failure, disruptive bladder symptoms, urinary retention, UTI, bladder stones and hematuria...
- PROGRESSION OF BPH ON MEDICAL THERAPYSteven Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2001..of disease will be measured by either a rise in baseline AUA Symptom Score of 4 points, development of urinary retention, incontinence or recurrent urinary tract infections or a rise in baseline serum creatinine of 50%...
- Natural History of Prostatism: The Olmsted County StudyJENNIFER LYNN ST SAUVER; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., acute urinary retention, chronic kidney disease) and quantified its impact on quality of life...
- Optimizing the Use of Morphine in Preterm InfantsJohn van den Anker; Fiscal Year: 2009..therapeutic doses resulted in a high incidence of serious adverse drug events including hypotension and urinary retention. This was associated with extremely high (500 ng/ml vs therapeutic concentrations of 20-40 ng/ml) morphine ..
- MEDICAL THERAPY IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAStephen Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2001..End points for analysis include the occurrence of urinary retention, renal insufficiency, urinary tract infection, incontinence, and increase in American Urological Association ..
- SUPRAPONTINE CONTROL OF MICTURITIONJames Roppolo; Fiscal Year: 1990..It is known that damage to the central nervous system caudal to this pontine area causes profound urinary retention often with bladder-sphincter dyssynergia...
- MODIFICATION OF DIET IN RENAL DISEASE STUDYCHARLES TISHER; Fiscal Year: 1993..severe heart failure, chronic liver and lung disease, systemic infections, active collagen vascular disease, urinary retention and allergy to iothalamate or iodine...
- MECHANICAL REGULATION OF THE IGF SYSTEM IN THE BLADDERBrahim Chaqour; Fiscal Year: 2001..It is characterized by increased bladder smooth muscle mass, bladder capacity and size and urinary retention. The cellular force generation decreases and bladder function is often irreversibly impaired despite the ..
- Randomized Trial for Botox for Urinary IncontinenceMichael Flynn; Fiscal Year: 2006..with DI will also substantially reduce these patients' urinary leakage without causing significant urinary retention or other adverse events...
- MEDICAL THERAPY OF BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAJohn McConnell; Fiscal Year: 2001..Clinical progression is defined as the occurrence of one or more of the following: acute urinary retention, renal insufficiency due to BPH, recurrent urinary tract infection, incontinence or an increase in AUA ..
- MEDICAL THERAPY OF PROSTATIC SYMPTONS (MTOPS)John Foley; Fiscal Year: 2002..Progression of BPH will be defined as development of urinary retention, renal insufficiency, urinary tract infections, or incontinence as well as an increase in the AUA symptom ..
- Chronic Kidney Disease with Benign Prostatic HyperplasiaANDREW RULE; Fiscal Year: 2004..two diseases have been case series of 3PH patients at the time of intervention, often confounded by acute urinary retention. BPH and its urinary tract infection (UTI) complication may be under-appreciated risk factors for the ..
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Therapies Treatment Consort*Claus Roehrborn; Fiscal Year: 2005..The MIST Study Group will be a blueprint for a technology assessment group applicable to other areas of urology and other medical or surgical subspecialties. ..
- Urodynamic and Multiethnic Variability of Men Treated b*Steven Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Baseline urodynamic parameters which may predict improved outcome after MIST 3. The success of various types of MIST in treating BPH in African - American, Hispanic and Caucasian men. ..
- The Efficacy of TUMT and Neoadjuvant Finasteride for BPHKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2005..We are proposing a 3-arm, placebo/sham controlled, randomized clinical trial using changes in symptoms as the primary ..
- N O S AND NEUROPATHIC AND ENDOTHELIAL INDUCED EDKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results of this research will aid in the understanding of how diabetic neuropathy contributes to sexual dysfunction and elucidate possible mechanisms to prevent them. ..
- REGULATION OF PROSTATE GROWTH BY NEURAL FACTORSKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2001..Using this model allows one to explore the limits of understanding prostatic neuroregulation, to explore neurotrophic influences on exocrine gland development, and to possibly uncover novel methods to influence prostate disease. ..
- Systematic Reviews in Urologic DiseasesTimothy Wilt; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will provide rapid dissemination, enhances implementation, and identifies new areas requiring additional research. ..
- Human Bladder Urothelial Cell Structure and Function in Bladder HypersensationToby C Chai; Fiscal Year: 2010..By accomplishing these aims, we hope to develop an understanding of the pathogenesis of hypersensory bladder conditions which ultimately can lead to targeted treatment options. ..
- BOTULINUM TOXIN THERAPY FOR INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS/CHRON*Mary FitzGerald; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PKC ALTERATIONS IN LUT DYSFUNCTIONFirouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Research NetworkToby Chai; Fiscal Year: 2007..The goals of the University of Maryland clinical site are to maximize enrollment of IC patients into innovative clinical trials, maintain highest retention rates possible and acquire high quality data. ..
- Assessment of Altered Function in Diabetic BladderFirouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Sensory Testing in Subjects with Interstitial CystitisMary FitzGerald; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of Vaginal Sling Effects on ContinenceFirouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2006..These complications include voiding dysfunction, urinary retention and possibly worsening of continence mechanism...
- Conference--National Urology Resident Female Pelvic MedFirouz Daneshgari; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of Stretch on IC and Normal UrotheliaToby Chai; Fiscal Year: 2005..ATP may mediate nociception in the bladder. Urothelial stretch thus appears to be an important consideration in diagnosis, treatment and pathophysiology of IC. ..
- VIRTUAL STROKE MODEL FOR STUDY OF BLADDER HYPERREFLEXIAVictor Pikov; Fiscal Year: 2005..We hope that this project can lead to development of a better treatment of stroke-related bladder dysfunction. ..
- URINE LOSS AND PROLAPSE IN NUNS AND THEIR PAROUS SISTERSGUNHILDE BUCHSBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2003..A matched pair logistic regression will be performed to obtain an adjusted estimate of the impact of familiality and vaginal delivery in UT and POP, taking into account other risk factors. ..
- COMPARISON OF TREATMENT EFFICACY FOR PROSTATE CANCERPeter Albertsen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Pelvic Floor Changes Before and After BirthREBECCA GLENN ROGERS; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will provide fundamental data to guide future decisions about labor interventions to prevent PF changes as well as data-based decisions regarding maternal request cesarean. ..
- Gene delivery to striated muscle by systemic AAV vectorsDwight D Koeberl; Fiscal Year: 2010..Efficacious muscle-targeted gene therapy in GSD-II will have implications for gene therapy in other muscular dystrophies and myopathies. ..
- Mechanisms for immune tolerance in Pompe DiseaseDwight D Koeberl; Fiscal Year: 2010..These comparisons will guide preclinical experiments to further immunomodulatory gene therapy in Pompe disease and other lysosomal storage disorders. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION & TREATMENT OF CATEGORY III PROSTATITISJ Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results from this 3 part study will be analyzed and correlated between groups and within groups, both concurrently and sequentially. ..
- Demyelination Plus Transplantation to Study CNS RepairHans Keirstead; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Therapies for BPH - Treatme*Robert Donnell; Fiscal Year: 2005..In summary, this proposal outlines what we believe to be the outstanding credentials of the Division of Urology, the Medical College of Wisconsin to serve as a clinical center in this multi-institutional trial. ..
- The Role of NK-Kb signaling pathway--Intestitial CystitsRaymond Rackley; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Experimental Dysautonomia: Pathogenesis and TreatmentSteven Vernino; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NON-REGULAR STIMULATION PATTERNS FOR DEEP BRAIN STIMULATIONWARREN GRILL; Fiscal Year: 2007..The second outcome will be novel pulse patterns that are expected to improve outcomes of DBS by reducing side effects and prolonging battery life. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Na Channels in Afferents after Bladder ObstructionWilliam Steers; Fiscal Year: 2006..Insight into these cellular processes could be exploited to develop afferent based treatments for OAB employing pharmacologic, molecular or gene based strategies. ..
- Beaumont Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Research NetworkKenneth Peters; Fiscal Year: 2007..Adverse events and complications will be monitored. Ancillary studies as agreed upon by the ICCRN will be carried out in conjunction with the clinical trial. ..
- Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Research Network (ICCRN)J Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2007..site with Dr. Nickel as PI has the experience, expertise and the proven ability to design, implement and enroll patients with IC in clinical strudies and will be a valuable partner in the proposed ICCRN and UCPPSCG. ..
- Low Impedance Electrodes for Neural StimulationWARREN GRILL; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will reduce the risks and costs associated with surgical replacement of implanted stimulators due to depletion of the batteries. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ADIPOSE DERIVED STEM CELLS FOR TREATMENT OF INCONTINENCELARISSA RODRIGUEZ; Fiscal Year: 2008..Lastly, we will use an animal model of incontinence and decreased urethral resistance to test the hypothesis that these cells can be used to reconstruct a functional urethra as a treatment of stress incontinence. ..
- Indomethacin and p38 Regulating AP-1 In Heat ShockJacob Locke; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Chronic Prostatitis Collaborative Research Network CPCRNJ Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2007..Nickel as PI has the experience, expertise and the proven ability to design, implement and enroll patients with CPPS in clinical studies and will be a valuable partner in the proposed CPCRN and UCPPSCG. ..