- Clinical differentiation of acute pyelonephritis from lower urinary tract infection in children
Daniel Tsung Ning Huang
Department of Pediatrics, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 40:513-7. 2007
To evaluate clinical variables for diagnosing childhood acute pyelonephritis (APN) when technetium-99m dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) scintigraphy is not available.
- International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: A 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Boston Health Care System, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:e103-20. 2011
..The focus of this work is treatment of women with acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis, diagnoses limited in these guidelines to premenopausal, non-pregnant women with no known urological ..
- Emphysematous pyelonephritis: clinicoradiological classification, management, prognosis, and pathogenesis
J J Huang
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Arch Intern Med 160:797-805. 2000
Emphysematous pyelonephritis (EPN) is a rare, severe gas-forming infection of renal parenchyma and its surrounding areas...
- Antibody responses and protection from pyelonephritis following vaccination with purified Escherichia coli PapDG protein
James A Roberts
Tulane National Primate Research Center, Covington, Louisiana 70433, USA
J Urol 171:1682-5. 2004
A critical early step in the establishment of Escherichia coli pyelonephritis is bacterial attachment via the tip protein of P fimbriae. This adhesin, PapG, binds to glycolipid receptors present on vaginal and kidney epithelial surfaces...
- Is antibiotic prophylaxis in children with vesicoureteral reflux effective in preventing pyelonephritis and renal scars? A randomized, controlled trial
Clinica Pediatrica, Istituto per l Infanzia IRCCS Burlo Garofolo, Via dell Istria 65 1, 34100 Trieste, Italy
Pediatrics 121:e1489-94. 2008
..trials are still needed to determine the effectiveness of long-term antibiotics for the prevention of acute pyelonephritis. In this multicenter, open-label, randomized, controlled trial, we tested the effectiveness of antibiotic ..
- Molecular epidemiology of uropathogenic Escherichia coli
The Department of Urology, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1 1 Mukogawacho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 663 8501, Japan
J Infect Chemother 13:68-73. 2007
..Uropathogenic VFs not only play an important role individually but also work cooperatively in a fine-tuned manner with coordinated regulation and expression...
- Caffeic acid phenethyl ester suppresses oxidative stress in Escherichia coli-induced pyelonephritis in rats
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Mustafa Kemal University, Tayfur Sokmen Campus, Antakya, Hatay, 31034, Turkey
Mol Cell Biochem 297:131-8. 2007
..that reason, we aimed to investigate the efficiency of CAPE administration in preventing oxidative damage in pyelonephritis (PYN) caused by Escherichia coli...
- Predictive factors for mortality and need for nephrectomy in patients with emphysematous pyelonephritis
Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow, India
BJU Int 105:986-9. 2010
To analyse the factors predicting the mortality and need for nephrectomy in patients with emphysematous pyelonephritis (EPN).
- Enhanced chemokine response in experimental acute Escherichia coli pyelonephritis in IL-1beta-deficient mice
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Microbiology and Tumorbiology Center, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Exp Immunol 131:225-33. 2003
..and secretion of MIP-2, the mouse equivalent to human IL-8, MCP-1 and RANTES in the kidneys of mice with acute pyelonephritis. Female Bki NMRI, as well as IL-1beta deficient mice and their wild-type littermates, were transurethrally ..
- Current management of emphysematous pyelonephritis
Alan R Pontin
Division of Urology, Groote Schuur Hospital, Anzio Road, Observatory 7925, Cape Town, South Africa
Nat Rev Urol 6:272-9. 2009
Emphysematous pyelonephritis (EPN) is a severe, necrotizing renal parenchymal infection that is characterized by the production of intraparenchymal gas...
- Kidney dendritic cells induce innate immunity against bacterial pyelonephritis
André P Tittel
Institutes of Molecular Medicine and Experimental Immunology IMMEI, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universita t, Bonn, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:1435-41. 2011
..in the tubulointerstitium, suggesting that they may play an important role in interstitial infections such as pyelonephritis. Here, we optimized a murine pyelonephritis model by instilling uropathogenic Escherichia coli two times at a ..
- Neutrophil recruitment and resistance to urinary tract infection
Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Section of Microbiology, Lund University, Sweden
J Infect Dis 180:1220-9. 1999
..The results show that neutrophils are essential for bacterial clearance from the urinary tract and that the neutrophil recruitment deficiency in C3H/HeJ mice explains their susceptibility to gram-negative UTI...
- Prevalence and risk factor analysis of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole- and fluoroquinolone-resistant Escherichia coli infection among emergency department patients with pyelonephritis
David A Talan
Department of Emergency Medicine, Olive View UCLA Medical Center, 14445 Olive View Dr, North Annex, Sylmar, CA 91342, USA
Clin Infect Dis 47:1150-8. 2008
..High rates of resistance to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) among uropathogenic Escherichia coli are recognized, and concerns exist about emerging fluoroquinolone resistance...
- Relationship between acute pyelonephritis, renal scarring, and vesicoureteral reflux. Results of a coordinated research project
Nuclear Medicine Section, School of Medicine, Catholic University of Chile, Marcoleta 347, Santiago, Chile
Pediatr Nephrol 19:1122-6. 2004
Acute pyelonephritis (APN) may produce permanent renal damage (PRD), which can subsequently lead to diverse complications. We prospectively evaluated 147 females and 122 males (mean age 3...
- A double-blind, randomized comparison of levofloxacin 750 mg once-daily for five days with ciprofloxacin 400/500 mg twice-daily for 10 days for the treatment of complicated urinary tract infections and acute pyelonephritis
Ortho McNeil Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, Raritan, New Jersey 08869, USA
Urology 71:17-22. 2008
..study was conducted to compare the efficacy and safety of levofloxacin 750 mg once daily for 5 days to ciprofloxacin twice daily for 10 days for the treatment of complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) or acute pyelonephritis (AP).
- Imaging studies after a first febrile urinary tract infection in young children
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh 15213 2583, USA
N Engl J Med 348:195-202. 2003
..We investigated whether imaging studies altered management or improved outcomes in young children with a first febrile urinary tract infection...
- Association between mannose-binding lectin deficiency and septic shock following acute pyelonephritis due to Escherichia coli
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Edificio Helios, 1 Planta C Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:256-61. 2007
..between polymorphisms of the MBL2 gene and the incidence of septic shock and bacteremia in patients with acute pyelonephritis due to Escherichia coli. The study included 62 female patients with acute pyelonephritis due to E...
- SoxS increases the expression of the zinc uptake system ZnuACB in an Escherichia coli murine pyelonephritis model
Douglas M Warner
Center for Adaptation Genetics and Drug Resistance, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Bacteriol 194:1177-85. 2012
..coli clinical isolate prevents persistence beyond 2 days postinfection in a mouse model of pyelonephritis. We used microarray analysis to identify 242 genes differentially expressed between the triple deletion mutant ..
- Toll-like receptor-4: renal cells and bone marrow cells signal for neutrophil recruitment during pyelonephritis
Prashant S Patole
Medizinische Poliklinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Kidney Int 68:2582-7. 2005
The molecular mechanisms of pathogen recognition that initiate infective pyelonephritis are poorly understood...
- Comparative study of Escherichia coli virulence determinants in strains causing urinary tract bacteremia versus strains causing pyelonephritis and other sources of bacteremia
Microbiology Department, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 53:93-9. 2005
..urinary bacteremia, 50 strains isolated from this condition were compared with 50 strains isolated from pyelonephritis and 50 from other sources of bacteremia...
- Serum and urine levels of interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 in children with acute pyelonephritis
Ji Nan Sheu
Department of Pediatrics, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung 402, Taiwan Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Cytokine 36:276-82. 2006
..This prospective study investigated the association between serum and urine IL-6 and IL-8 levels and acute pyelonephritis confirmed by (99m)Tc-dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) scan...
- Intestinal carriage of P fimbriated Escherichia coli and the susceptibility to urinary tract infection in young children
Department of Clinical Immunology, , Sweden
J Infect Dis 171:625-31. 1995
..These results suggest that persons who develop UTI have an increased tendency to carry pap+ E. coli in the large intestine and that these pap+ E. coli cause UTI more often than pap E. coli strains in the fecal flora of the same host...
- Ciprofloxacin for 7 days versus 14 days in women with acute pyelonephritis: a randomised, open-label and double-blind, placebo-controlled, non-inferiority trial
Department of Infectious Diseases, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Lancet 380:484-90. 2012
Acute pyelonephritis is a common infection in adult women, but there is a paucity of controlled trials of its treatment and the optimum duration of antibiotic treatment has not been properly defined...
- Assessment of Toll-like receptor-4 gene polymorphism on pyelonephritis and renal scar
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Celal Bayar University, Izmir, Turkey
Int J Immunogenet 39:303-7. 2012
..5% in the UTI group and in 15.1% of the control group. Forty patients showed pyelonephritis (PN) with scar tissue, 37 patients had PN without scars, and 35 patients had lower UTI. The TLR4 c...
- Uropathogenic Escherichia coli AL511 requires flagellum to enter renal collecting duct cells
Institut Pasteur, Unité Pathogénie Bactérienne des Muqueuses, 28 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Cell Microbiol 11:616-28. 2009
..We investigated the ability of 13 E. coli strains isolated from the urine of patients with pyelonephritis and cystitis and normal stools to invade collecting duct cells, which constitute the first epithelium ..
- Comparison of Escherichia coli strains recovered from human cystitis and pyelonephritis infections in transurethrally challenged mice
D E Johnson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Infect Immun 66:3059-65. 1998
..A vast amount of literature regarding the mechanisms through which E. coli induces pyelonephritis has accumulated...
- Preventive effect of pentoxifylline on renal scarring in rat model of pyelonephritis
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Ankara School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 61:1037-41. 2003
To evaluate the efficiency of pentoxifylline (PTX), a methyl xanthine derivative, in preventing renal scar formation after the induction of pyelonephritis in an experimental rat model with delayed antimicrobial therapy.
- The effect of vitamin A on renal damage following acute pyelonephritis in children
Department of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Clinical Research Center, Qazvin Children Hospital, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences, Qazvin, Iran
Eur J Pediatr 170:347-50. 2011
..study was to determine the effect of vitamin A on the rate of permanent renal damage in children with acute pyelonephritis. Fifty children, median age of 24 months (range 2-144), with first-time pyelonephritis verified by an uptake ..
- Clinical significance of primary vesicoureteral reflux and urinary antibiotic prophylaxis after acute pyelonephritis: a multicenter, randomized, controlled study
Eduardo H Garin
Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
Pediatrics 117:626-32. 2006
..and severity of urinary tract infections (UTIs) and renal parenchymal damage among patients with acute pyelonephritis and to determine whether urinary antibiotic prophylaxis reduces the frequency and/or severity of UTIs and/or ..
- Genetic polymorphisms and susceptibility to parenchymal renal infection among pediatric patients
Chi Hui Cheng
Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Pediatr Infect Dis J 30:309-14. 2011
..This study was performed to explore single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in genes associated with neutrophil-dependent immunity in pediatric patients with severe parenchymal infections...
- Diagnostic and treatment difficulties of pyelonephritis in pregnancy in resource-limited settings
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, Mae Sot, Tak, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1322-9. 2010
Limited microbiology services impede adequate diagnosis and treatment of common infections such as pyelonephritis in resource-limited settings...
- Urinary interleukin-8 in acute pyelonephritis of children: a before-after study
Pediatric Infectious Research Center, Shahid Beheshti University MC, Tehran, Iran
Iran J Kidney Dis 2:193-6. 2008
The aim of this study was to assess urinary interleukin-8 (IL-8) levels in pyelonephritis and its relation with the clinical course of the infection and of inflammatory changes detected by renal scintigraphy.
- Risk factors for renal scar formation in infants with first episode of acute pyelonephritis: a prospective clinical study
Yoon Jung Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Urol 187:1032-6. 2012
We prospectively determined the risk factors for renal scar formation after the first episode of acute pyelonephritis as confirmed on dimercapto-succinic acid scintigraphy in children younger than 1 year.
- Melatonin prevents neutrophil-mediated oxidative injury in Escherichia coli-induced pyelonephritis in rats
School of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Pineal Res 41:220-7. 2006
Regarding the mechanisms of renal scarring in pyelonephritis, several hypotheses have been put forward, among which oxidative stress is prominent...
- Evaluation of inflammatory and renal-injury markers in women treated with antibiotics for acute pyelonephritis caused by Escherichia coli
Juan P Horcajada
Service of Infectious Diseases, Institut Clinic Infeccions i Immunologia, Hospital Clinic Universitari IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:142-6. 2004
..evolution and the relationship between inflammatory and renal-injury markers in women with acute uncomplicated pyelonephritis under antimicrobial therapy were investigated in a prospective study...
- Pathogen specific, IRF3-dependent signaling and innate resistance to human kidney infection
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Glycobiology, Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
PLoS Pathog 6:e1001109. 2010
..Host susceptibility to common infections like UTI may thus be strongly influenced by single gene modifications affecting the innate immune response...
- Emphysematous pyelonephritis: a case report series of four patients with review of literature
Department of Nephrology, Royal Hospital, Muscat, Oman
Ren Fail 31:597-601. 2009
Emphysematous pyelonephritis (EPN) is an acute necrotizing infection with gas presence in the kidney, perinephric space, and/or urinary collecting system that carries a bad prognosis...
- Color and power Doppler sonography versus DMSA scintigraphy in acute pyelonephritis and in prediction of renal scarring
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Centre Henri Becquerel, Rouen, France
J Nucl Med 43:27-32. 2002
Capabilities of color and power Doppler sonography (DS) were prospectively evaluated for diagnosis of acute pyelonephritis and for prediction of scarring by comparison with 99mTc-dimercaptosuccinic acid scintigraphy (DMSA).
- Proinflammatory cytokines and procalcitonin in children with acute pyelonephritis
Metin Kaya Gurgoze
Department of Pediatrics, Firat University Faculty of Medicine, Elazig, Turkey
Pediatr Nephrol 20:1445-8. 2005
..of procalcitonin (PCT) and proinflammatory cytokines (IL-1beta, IL-6 and TNF-alpha) in children with acute pyelonephritis documented by dimercaptosuccinic acid scintigraphy (DMSA)...
- Immunomodulatory clarithromycin treatment of experimental sepsis and acute pyelonephritis caused by multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Evangelos J Giamarellos-Bourboulis
4th Department of Internal Medicine, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:93-9. 2004
..Acute pyelonephritis was induced after ligation of the right ureter and injection of 10(8) CFU of the test isolate per kg of body ..
- [Usefulness of procalcitonin for the diagnosis of acute pyelonephritis in children]
Clinique de Pediatrie, Hopital Jeanne de Flandre, Lille, France
Arch Pediatr 12:1075-80. 2005
Acute pyelonephritis can induce parenchymal scarring. The aim of this study was to evaluate the usefulness of procalcitonin (PCT) to predict renal involvement in febrile children with urinary tract infection (UTI).
- A disseminated multidrug-resistant clonal group of uropathogenic Escherichia coli in pyelonephritis
James R Johnson
Medical Service, Minneapolis VA Medical Center and Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Lancet 359:2249-51. 2002
In acute pyelonephritis, bacterial resistance to co-trimoxazole predicts treatment failure, but the clonal basis of such resistance is undefined...
- Is percutaneous drainage the new gold standard in the management of emphysematous pyelonephritis? Evidence from a systematic review
Bhaskar K Somani
University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Urol 179:1844-9. 2008
There is no current consensus on what constitutes the ideal management of emphysematous pyelonephritis. We review the current management strategies including the role of nephron preserving percutaneous drainage in the treatment of ..
- Transmission of an extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli (sequence type ST131) strain between a father and daughter resulting in septic shock and Emphysematous pyelonephritis
Peter T Ender
St Luke s Hospital, 801 Ostrum Street, Bethlehem, PA 18015, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:3780-2. 2009
..The father developed severe, recurrent pyelonephritis with multiple small abscesses; the daughter later developed septic shock, bacteremia, and extensive ..
- Interleukin-8 receptor knockout mice have subepithelial neutrophil entrapment and renal scarring following acute pyelonephritis
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Glycobiology, Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Infect Dis 182:1738-48. 2000
..In their absence, the neutrophils are trapped, and the tissues are destroyed. This molecular deficiency may determine the progression from acute pyelonephritis to renal scarring.
- Diagnosis and management of acute pyelonephritis in adults
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
Am Fam Physician 71:933-42. 2005
There are approximately 250,000 cases of acute pyelonephritis each year, resulting in more than 100,000 hospitalizations. The most common etiologic cause is infection with Escherichia coli...
- A trial of levofloxacin 750 mg once daily for 5 days versus ciprofloxacin 400 mg and/or 500 mg twice daily for 10 days in the treatment of acute pyelonephritis
Howard A Klausner
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 23:2637-45. 2007
..efficacy of a once-daily, 5-day course of levofloxacin 750 mg compared to a twice-daily, 10-day course of ciprofloxacin in complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) and acute pyelonephritis (AP). This report focuses on subjects with AP.
- Procalcitonin: a marker of severity of acute pyelonephritis among children
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Udine, Piazzale S M della Misericovolio Udine 33100, Italy
Pediatrics 114:e249-54. 2004
Febrile urinary tract infection (UTI) is a common problem among children. The diagnosis and management of acute pyelonephritis is a challenge, particularly during infancy...
- The osmotic stress response and virulence in pyelonephritis isolates of Escherichia coli: contributions of RpoS, ProP, ProU and other systems
D E Culham
Department of Microbiology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1, Canada
Microbiology 147:1657-70. 2001
..b>Pyelonephritis isolates CFT073 and HU734 were similar and diminished in osmotolerance, respectively, compared to E. coli K-12...
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infection in adults including uncomplicated pyelonephritis
Lindsay E Nicolle
Departments of Internal Medicine and Medical Microbiology, Health Sciences Centre, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Urol Clin North Am 35:1-12, v. 2008
Acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection and acute pyelonephritis are very common infections affecting many women throughout their lives...
- Acute pyelonephritis in pregnancy
James B Hill
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9032, USA
Obstet Gynecol 105:18-23. 2005
To examine the incidence of pyelonephritis and the incidence of risk factors, microbial pathogens, and obstetric complications in women with acute antepartum pyelonephritis.
- Renal collecting duct epithelial cells react to pyelonephritis-associated Escherichia coli by activating distinct TLR4-dependent and -independent inflammatory pathways
INSERM U773, Centre de Recherche Biomedicale Bichat Beaujon CRB3, Unité de Formation et de Recherche de Médecine Xavier Bichat, 16 rue Henri Huchard, F 75870 Paris Cedex 18, France
J Immunol 177:4773-84. 2006
TLR4 plays a central role in resistance to pyelonephritis caused by uropathogenic Escherichia coli (UPEC)...
- Autotransporter genes pic and tsh are associated with Escherichia coli strains that cause acute pyelonephritis and are expressed during urinary tract infection
Susan R Heimer
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Infect Immun 72:593-7. 2004
..UPEC strain isolates (n = 87) and in 33% of fecal strains (n = 27), whereas pic was present in 31% of the pyelonephritis (n = 67) and 7% of the fecal strains...
- Usefulness of procalcitonin rapid test for the diagnosis of acute pyelonephritis in children in the emergency department
Department of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Abuzar Children s Medical Center Hospital, Ahvaz Jondishapour University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Pediatr Int 52:196-8. 2010
..Urinary tract infection (UTI) is a common problem in children. The aim of this study was to determine the usefulness of the procalcitonin (PCT) rapid test in the diagnosis of renal involvement in children with urinary tract infection...
- Risk factors for mortality in patients with emphysematous pyelonephritis: a meta-analysis
Matthew E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences AIBS, Athens, Greece
J Urol 178:880-5; quiz 1129. 2007
Emphysematous pyelonephritis, an infection most commonly seen in cases of diabetes mellitus, is associated with considerable case fatality...
- Screening and treating asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnancy
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 22:95-9. 2010
Asymptomatic bacteriuria (ASB) in pregnancy, if left undiagnosed and appropriately treated can lead to acute pyelonephritis in mothers and low birth weight in infants. Urine culture is the gold standard for diagnosing ASB...
- Bacterial characteristics in relation to clinical source of Escherichia coli isolates from women with acute cystitis or pyelonephritis and uninfected women
James R Johnson
Infectious Diseases 111F, Minneapolis VA Medical Center, 1 Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:6064-72. 2005
Characteristics differentiating Escherichia coli strains that cause cystitis or pyelonephritis from fecal E. coli remain incompletely defined, particularly among adult women in the United States...
- Acute pyelonephritis in pregnancy: a retrospective study
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Patan Hospital, Lalitpur, Nepal
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 47:313-5. 2007
To examine the incidence, risk factors, microbial pathogens, and pregnancy outcomes of pregnant women with acute antepartum pyelonephritis.
- Acute graft pyelonephritis following renal transplantation
N S Kamath
Department of Nephrology, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu 632004, India
Transpl Infect Dis 8:140-7. 2006
Urinary tract infection is the most common form of bacterial infection encountered in a renal transplant recipient. Studies explaining the long-term consequences of acute graft pyelonephritis (AGPN) are few.
- Prevention of tissue injury in an ascending mouse model of chronic pyelonephritis--role of free radical scavengers
Department of Microbiology, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Tagore Nagar Civil Lines, Ludhiana, Punjab 141001, India
Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 27:225-34. 2004
..radical scavengers in preventing the tissue injury using a non obstructive, ascending mouse model for chronic pyelonephritis was assessed...
- Acute antepartum pyelonephritis in pregnancy: a critical analysis of risk factors and outcomes
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Soroka University Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 162:24-7. 2012
To test the incidence and sonographic parameters of pyelonephritis during pregnancy, and to examine risk factors and pregnancy outcomes of women with acute antepartum pyelonephritis.
- Combined use of urinary alpha1-microglobulin and 99mTc DMSA scintigraphy in the diagnosis and follow-up of acute pyelonephritis and cystitis in children
Department of Urology, University Hospital of Ghent, Belgium
Eur Urol 34:486-91. 1998
..of specific symptomatology in children and neurogenic bladder disease patients, the early diagnosis of acute pyelonephritis is a challenge...
- Is acute lobar nephronia the midpoint in the spectrum of upper urinary tract infections between acute pyelonephritis and renal abscess?
Chi Hui Cheng
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Pediatr 156:82-6. 2010
To examine acute lobar nephronia (ALN) in the spectrum of upper urinary tract infections between acute pyelonephritis (APN) and renal abscess.
- Risk factors of septic shock in bacteremic acute pyelonephritis patients admitted to an ER
Jae Hoon Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Wonkwang University College of Medicine, 344 2, Sinyong dong, Iksan, 570 749, Republic of Korea
J Infect Chemother 18:130-3. 2012
Our objective was to identify factors associated with septic shock in patients with bacteremic acute pyelonephritis who were admitted to our emergency department (ER)...
- Efficacy of treatment with carbapenems and third-generation cephalosporins for patients with febrile complicated pyelonephritis
Department of Urology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, S 1, W 16, Chuo Ku, Sapporo, 060 8543, Japan
J Infect Chemother 15:390-5. 2009
..the clinical relevance of carbapenem and third-generation cephalosporin treatment for febrile complicated pyelonephritis, which often leads to urosepsis...
- Intravenous doripenem at 500 milligrams versus levofloxacin at 250 milligrams, with an option to switch to oral therapy, for treatment of complicated lower urinary tract infection and pyelonephritis
K G Naber
Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:3782-92. 2009
..Patients (n = 753) with complicated lower UTI or pyelonephritis were randomly assigned to receive IV doripenem at 500 mg every 8 h (q8h) or IV levofloxacin at 250 mg q24h...
- Diagnosis and treatment of acute pyelonephritis in women
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am Fam Physician 84:519-26. 2011
Acute pyelonephritis is a common bacterial infection of the renal pelvis and kidney most often seen in young adult women. History and physical examination are the most useful tools for diagnosis...
- Susceptibility to acute pyelonephritis or asymptomatic bacteriuria: host-pathogen interaction in urinary tract infections
Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Section of Microbiology, Immunology and Glycobiology MIG, Lund University, Solvegatan 23, 22362 Lund, Sweden
Pediatr Nephrol 27:2017-29. 2012
..The symptoms of acute pyelonephritis are caused by the innate immune response, and inflammation in the urinary tract decreases renal tubular ..
- Multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli clonal groups causing community-acquired pyelonephritis
Amee R Manges
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, 94720, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:329-34. 2004
..coli in a California community. This study describes the prevalence of pyelonephritis caused by CgA in the same community. E...
- Outcome of nephrectomy and kidney-preserving procedures for the treatment of emphysematous pyelonephritis
Bum Soo Park
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea
Scand J Urol Nephrol 40:332-8. 2006
Emphysematous pyelonephritis (EPN) is an acute necrotizing infection of the kidney characterized by gas formation...
- Severe sepsis and septic shock in pregnancy: indications for delivery and maternal and perinatal outcomes
Candice C Snyder
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maternal Fetal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinanati, Ohio 45267 0526, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 26:503-6. 2013
..To report maternal and perinatal outcomes in obstetric patients with severe sepsis and septic shock...
- Successful treatment of ctx-m ESBL producing Escherichia coli relapsing pyelonephritis with long term pivmecillinam
Lindsay E Nicolle
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Scand J Infect Dis 39:748-9. 2007
Oral therapy options for pyelonephritis caused by ESBL producing E. coli are limited. We describe a woman with relapsing pyelonephritis due to a CTX-M ESBL E. coli who was cured with a prolonged course of pivmecillinam...
- Urinary tract infections in pregnancy
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, San Borja Arriaran Clinical Hospital, Santiago, Chile
Curr Opin Urol 11:55-9. 2001
..Ampicillin should not be used because of its high resistance to Escherichia coli. Pyelonephritis can cause morbidity and can be life-threatening to both mother and fetus...
- Comparison of extended virulence genotypes for bacteria isolated from pediatric patients with urosepsis, acute pyelonephritis, and acute lobar nephronia
Chi Hui Cheng
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:736-40. 2010
..This study was conducted to explore and differentiate bacterial virulence factors associated with urosepsis and 2 other severe parenchymal infections, acute pyelonephritis (APN) and acute lobar nephronia (ALN), in pediatric patients.
- Urinary endothellin-1 level in children with pyelonephritis and hydronephrosis
Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 24:731-6. 2013
..Urinary ET-1 could be a useful marker that can be utilized in young children for diagnosis of hydronephrosis, especially obstructive cases. ..
- Fatal sepsis in a pregnant woman with pyelonephritis caused by Escherichia coli bearing Dr and P adhesins: diagnosis based on postmortem strain genotyping
Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
BJOG 118:266-9. 2011
- Clinical significance of periportal tracking as an extrarenal manifestation of acute pyelonephritis
Department of Radiology, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Abdom Imaging 36:557-60. 2011
The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether hepatic periportal tracking (PPT) in patients with acute pyelonephritis correlates with the severity of pyelonephritis.
- Clofibric and ethacrynic acids prevent experimental pyelonephritis by Escherichia coli in mice
Claudia E Balagué
Laboratorio de Toxicologia Experimental, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Suipacha 531, 2000 Rosario, Argentina
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 42:313-9. 2004
Interfering Escherichia coli attachment to the urinary tract, using P-fimbriation inhibitors, can prevent pyelonephritis. Clofibric and ethacrynic acids are organic compounds structurally related, but with different pharmacological uses...
- Bilateral emphysematous pyelonephritis and emphysematous cystitis with autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease: is conservative management justified?
Departments of Surgery Urology Unit and Nephrology, Al Amiri Hospital, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 16:155-7. 2007
To report a case of bilateral emphysematous pyelonephritis (EPN) and emphysematous cystitis in a 64-year-old diabetic male with autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD).
- Effects of melatonin on suppression of renal scarring in experimental model of pyelonephritis
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Karadeniz Technical University Faculty of Medicine, Trabzon, Turkey
Urology 67:1315-9. 2006
To determine the effects of melatonin combined with antibiotic administration on the suppression of renal scarring in an experimental pyelonephritis model.
- Extrarenal manifestations of severe acute pyelonephritis: CT findings in 21 cases
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, 44281, Israel
Emerg Radiol 13:73-7. 2006
The aim of this study is to report the extrarenal computerized tomography (CT) findings in patients with acute pyelonephritis (APN)...
- Clinical implications of healthcare-associated infection in patients with community-onset acute pyelonephritis
Young Eun Ha
Division of Infectious Diseases, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Scand J Infect Dis 43:587-95. 2011
Clinical and microbiological characteristics of healthcare-associated acute pyelonephritis (HCA-APN) have not been described in detail yet...
- Phylogenetic groups and virulence factors of Escherichia coli strains causing pyelonephritis in children with and without urinary tract abnormalities
Laboratoire d études de génétique bactérienne dans les infections de l enfant EA3105, Universite Denis Diderot Paris 7, Paris, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:740-2. 2007
Escherichia coli isolates causing acute pyelonephritis in 93 children (25% with urinary tract abnormalities) were tested for nine virulence factors (papC, papGII, papGIII, sfa/foc, hlyC, cnf1, iucC, fyuA and iroN) and their phylogenetic ..
- Enterococcus hirae-related acute pyelonephritis and cholangitis with bacteremia: an unusual infection in humans
Tze Sian Chan
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Wanfang Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 28:111-4. 2012
..We report two patients with E hirae bacteremia caused by acute pyelonephritis and acute cholangitis. The clinical courses have been smooth on use of sensitive antibiotic therapy...
- Antenatal hydronephrosis and the risk of pyelonephritis hospitalization during the first year of life
Thomas J Walsh
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Urology 69:970-4. 2007
To assess the risk of hospitalization for pyelonephritis within the first year of life among infants with and without antenatal hydronephrosis.
- Percutaneous manual aspiration embolectomy of renal vein thrombosis due to acute pyelonephritis
Radiologie cardiovasculaire, HEGP, Paris, France
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:1075-8. 2007
..Optimal restoration of renal vein flow was obtained by percutaneous manual aspiration embolectomy (PMAE) in this patient with contraindication to fibrinolytic therapy and surgery...
- [Emphysematous pyelonephritis]
Urologisk Afdeling, Regionshospitalet Randers, DK 8900 Randers, Denmark
Ugeskr Laeger 172:220-2. 2010
Emphysematous pyelonephritis (EPN) is a rare, life-threatening infection of the kidney, characterized by production of gas within the renal parenchyma or perinephric tissue...
- Increased concentration of the complement split product C5a in acute pyelonephritis during pregnancy
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 17:247-52. 2005
Pregnant women with acute pyelonephritis develop acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) more frequently than non-pregnant women. The reasons for this remain unknown...
- Efficacies of high-dose fluconazole plus amphotericin B and high-dose fluconazole plus 5-fluorocytosine versus amphotericin B, fluconazole, and 5-fluorocytosine monotherapies in treatment of experimental endocarditis, endophthalmitis, and pyelonephritis d
Divisions of Infectious Diseases, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York 12208, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:2831-40. 1999
..of Flu plus 5FC and Flu plus AmB in a rabbit model of Candida albicans endocarditis, endophthalmitis, and pyelonephritis. The dose of Flu used was that which resulted in an area under the concentration-time curve in rabbits ..
- Acute pyelonephritis: comparison of diagnosis with computed tomography and contrast-enhanced ultrasonography
Department of Urology, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
BJU Int 101:341-4. 2008
..ultrasonography (US) with the contrast pulse-sequence (CPS) technique for detecting renal parenchymal changes in acute pyelonephritis (APN), compared with contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CT) as the reference standard.
- [Bilateral emphysematous pyelonephritis caused by Candida glabrata: An exceptional entity]
Service de Maladies Infectieuses, CHU Hedi Chaker, route El Ain Km 0, 5, 3029 Sfax, Tunisie
Nephrol Ther 6:541-3. 2010
Acute emphysematous pyelonephritis (AEP) is a severe form of urinary tract infection. It occurs usually in diabetics. The most concerned agents are the Gram-negative bacilli...
- Impact of discordant empirical therapy on outcome of community-acquired bacteremic acute pyelonephritis
Seung Soon Lee
Division of Infectious Diseases and Hallym University Sacred Heart Hospital, Hallym University College of Medicine, Anyang si, Korea
J Infect 62:159-64. 2011
..As ciprofloxacin resistance rate of Escherichia coli causing urinary tract infections has been increasing, concern about inappropriate empirical therapy has been arisen...
- [Escherichia coli-induced emphysematous pyelonephritis in a diabetic patient with polycystic kidney disease]
U O C Nefrologia e Dialisi, Ospedale G Fracastoro di San Bonifacio, Verona, Italy
G Ital Nefrol 28:85-8. 2011
Emphysematous pyelonephritis is a rare, necrotizing infection of the kidney and the perirenal space resulting in the formation of gas in both structures and associated with a high mortality rate...
- Five patients with emphysematous pyelonephritis
Indu Bhushan Dubey
GTB Hospital and University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi, India
Iran J Kidney Dis 5:204-6. 2011
Emphysematous pyelonephritis is an acute necrotizing infection of the renal parenchyma, resulting in presence of gas within either in the collecting system or perinephric space...
- Emphysematous pyelonephritis
Sarvpreet Singh Ubee
Department of Urology, The Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham, UK
BJU Int 107:1474-8. 2011
Emphysematous pyelonephritis (EPN) is a severe necrotizing infection of the renal parenchyma. The clinical course of EPN can be severe and life-threatening if not recognized and treated promptly...
- Hepatic portal venous gas induced by emphysematous pyelonephritis: a rare case in hemodialytic women
Chih Jan Chang
Department of Emergency Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital and College of Medicine, Tainan 704, Taiwan
Am J Emerg Med 27:1171.e1-3. 2009
..on abdominal computed tomography, which implied a unilateral perirenal abscess (so-called emphysematous pyelonephritis)...
- Contribution of quorum-sensing systems to virulence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in an experimental pyelonephritis model
Department of Microbiology, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 39:302-9. 2006
..In the present investigation, we studied the contribution of quorum-sensing signals during the course of P. aeruginosa-induced pyelonephritis in mice.
- Uterine contraction frequency during treatment of pyelonephritis in pregnancy and subsequent risk of preterm birth
Lynnae K Millar
Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1319 Punahou Street, Room 540 Honolulu, Hawaii 96826
J Perinat Med 31:41-6. 2003
To assess ceftriaxones effect on uterine contraction frequency and determine risk factors for subsequent preterm birth in women with pyelonephritis.
- Maternal and perinatal outcomes in pregnancy with acute pyelonephritis
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Division of Maternal and Fetal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 89:286-7. 2005
- Virulence determinants, phylogenetic groups and fluoroquinolone resistance in Escherichia coli isolated from cystitis and pyelonephritis
Laboratoire de Recherche Résistance aux Antimicrobiens, Hôpital Charles Nicolle de Tunis, Boulevard 9 avril, 1006 Tunis, Tunisia
Pathol Biol (Paris) 60:270-4. 2012
The aim of this study is to assess the relation between virulence genotype, phylogenetic group and susceptibility to fluoroquinolones and the urinary tract infection type including pyelonephritis and cystitis due to Escherichia coli.
- Evaluation of acute pyelonephritis with DMSA scans in children presenting after the age of 5 years
Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Dr Gharib St Azadi Avenue, 14194 Tehran, Iran
Pediatr Nephrol 20:1439-44. 2005
It is generally believed that infants are more susceptible to development of renal scarring after pyelonephritis than children over 5 years old. This view has led to differences in investigations and treatment according to age...