Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inflammation of a TESTIS. It has many features of EPIDIDYMITIS, such as swollen SCROTUM; PAIN; PYURIA; and FEVER. It is usually related to infections in the URINARY TRACT, which likely spread to the EPIDIDYMIS and then the TESTIS through either the VAS DEFERENS or the lymphatics of the SPERMATIC CORD.
Publications222 found, 100 shown here
- West Nile virus encephalitis with myositis and orchitisRoger D Smith
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Universityof Cincinnati Medical Center, OH 45267 0529, USA
Hum Pathol 35:254-8. 2004..b>Orchitis with dense T-lymphocyte infiltration and syncytial cell formation thought to be due to WNV were also noted.
- Brucellar epididymo-orchitis in southeastern part of Turkey: an 8 year experienceMustafa Kemal Celen
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinic Microbiology, Medical School, Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey, 21280
Braz J Infect Dis 14:109-15. 2010the different clinical and laboratory features and response to treatment of patients with acute brucellar epididymo-orchitis (BEO) reporting to the reference hospital in Southeastern Anatolia of Turkey.
- Chronic orchitis: a neglected cause of male infertility?H C Schuppe
Centre of Dermatology and Andrology, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Andrologia 40:84-91. 2008..With regard to their impact on male reproductive function, orchitis and epididymo-orchitis due to local or systemic infection as well as noninfectious aetiological factors are of ..
- Patterns of infiltration of lymphocytes into the testis under normal and pathological conditions in miceMunekazu Naito
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Reprod Immunol 59:55-61. 2008..Although the physiological function of these penetrating lymphocytes remains unknown, we suppose that this micro-status provides a chance for evocation of autoimmune inflammation of the TR, R and E in some pathological conditions...
- Mechanism of infertility in male guinea pigs immunized with sperm PH-20K S Tung
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville 22908, USA
Biol Reprod 56:1133-41. 1997..A second effect was the induction of experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO), representing the first report of EAO induced by a purified testis/sperm molecule of known functions...
- MumpsAnders Hviid
Department of Epidemiology Research, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Lancet 371:932-44. 2008..Aseptic meningitis and encephalitis are common complications of mumps together with orchitis and oophoritis, which can arise in adult men and women, respectively; other complications include deafness and ..
- Testicular autoimmunityPatricia Jacobo
Institute for Research in Reproduction, School of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Autoimmun Rev 10:201-4. 2011..Autoimmune orchitis is a model of chronic inflammation useful for elucidating pathogenic mechanisms involved in testicular damage...
- Uropathogenic E. coli induce different immune response in testicular and peritoneal macrophages: implications for testicular immune privilegeSudhanshu Bhushan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Unit of Reproductive Biology, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Giessen, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e28452. 2011..UPEC-dependent NFAT activation was confirmed in both cultured TM and in TM in an in vivo UPEC infectious rat orchitis model...
- Intratesticular expression of mRNAs of both interferon γ and tumor necrosis factor α is significantly increased in experimental autoimmune orchitis in miceHayato Terayama
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
J Reprod Dev 57:296-302. 2011Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is one of the models of immunological male infertility. Murine EAO is CD4+T cell-dependent and classically induced by immunization with a testicular homogenate and adjuvants...
- Interleukin-6 and IL-6 receptor cell expression in testis of rats with autoimmune orchitisClaudia Rival
Centro de Investigaciones en Reproduccion, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Paraguay 2155, Piso 10, C1121 ABG Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Reprod Immunol 70:43-58. 2006Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is an organ-specific model of autoimmunity characterized by an interstitial lymphomononuclear cell infiltrate as well as sloughing and apoptosis of germ cells...
- CD4+ and CD8+ T cells producing Th1 and Th17 cytokines are involved in the pathogenesis of autoimmune orchitisPatricia Jacobo
School of Medicine, Institute for Research in Reproduction, University of Buenos Aires, Paraguay 2155 piso 10, C1121 ABG, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reproduction 141:249-58. 2011Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is a useful model to study chronic testicular inflammation and infertility. EAO is characterized by severe damage of seminiferous tubules with germ cells that undergo apoptosis and sloughing...
- Differential changes in CD4+ and CD8+ effector and regulatory T lymphocyte subsets in the testis of rats undergoing autoimmune orchitisP Jacobo
Instituto de Investigaciones en Reproducción, Paraguay 2155, Piso 10, C1121 ABG, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Reprod Immunol 81:44-54. 2009Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is a useful model to study organ-specific autoimmunity and chronic testicular inflammation...
- Effect of unilateral testicular rupture on histopathology and germ cell delayed-type hypersensitivity in C3H/He and A/J miceMunekazu Naito
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, Shinjuku 6 1 1, Tokyo 160 8402, Japan
J Reprod Immunol 81:55-61. 2009Contralateral orchitis induced by unilateral testicular injury has been reported as sympathetic orchitis in men and experimental animals...
- Impaired expression and distribution of adherens and gap junction proteins in the seminiferous tubules of rats undergoing autoimmune orchitisC Perez
Instituto de Investigaciones en Reproducción, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Int J Androl 34:e566-77. 2011Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is characterized by an interstitial lymphomononuclear cell infiltration and a severe lesion of seminiferous tubules (ST) with germ cells that undergo apoptosis and sloughing...
- Involvement of Fas/Fas-L and Bax/Bcl-2 systems in germ cell death following immunization with syngeneic testicular germ cells in miceMaimaiti Kuerban
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, 6 1 1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8402, Japan
J Androl 33:824-31. 2012Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is characterized by T cell-dependent lymphocytic inflammation and seminiferous tubule damage, which can result in the death of germ cells...
- Caput epididymitis but not orchitis was induced by vasectomy in a murine model of experimental autoimmune orchitisNing Qu
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo 160 8402, Japan
Reproduction 135:859-66. 2008..autoantigens of both round and elongating spermatids, resulting in the development of experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO)...
- Experimental autoimmune orchitis as a model of immunological male infertilityMunekazu Naito
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, 6 1 1 Shinjuku, Tokyo 160 8402, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 45:185-9. 2012..Previously, we established an immunological infertility model, experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO), that can be induced in mice by two subcutaneous injections of viable syngeneic testicular germ cells ..
- Loss of occludin expression and impairment of blood-testis barrier permeability in rats with autoimmune orchitis: effect of interleukin 6 on Sertoli cell tight junctionsCecilia Valeria Pérez
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Biol Reprod 87:122. 2012..Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is characterized by interstitial lymphomononuclear cell infiltration and severe damage of seminiferous ..
- Immune-related disease before and after vasectomy: an epidemiological database studyM J Goldacre
Unit of Health Care Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Hum Reprod 22:1273-8. 2007..We aimed to determine whether men with immune-related diseases were more or less likely than others to have a vasectomy and then to determine whether vasectomy is associated with the subsequent development of immune-related diseases...
- Experimental allergic orchitis in mice. II. Association of disease susceptibility with the locus controlling Bordetella pertussis-induced sensitivity to histamineC Teuscher
Immunogenetics 22:417-25. 1985Susceptibility to the induction of murine autoimmune orchitis was found to be associated with the locus controlling Bordetella pertussis-induced sensitivity to the vasoactive amine, histamine...
- Postinflammation stage of autoimmune orchitis induced by immunization with syngeneic testicular germ cells alone in miceMunekazu Naito
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, 6 1 1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 160 8402, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 45:35-44. 2012We previously established an immunological infertility model, experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO), which can be induced by two subcutaneous injections of viable syngeneic testicular germ cells on days 0 and 14 in mice without using any ..
- The increasing incidence of mumps orchitis: a comprehensive reviewNiall F Davis
Department of Urology and Department of Surgery, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, University College Dublin, Ireland
BJU Int 105:1060-5. 2010There has been a recent increase in mumps orchitis among pubertal and postpubertal males...
- Death receptor and mitochondrial pathways are involved in germ cell apoptosis in an experimental model of autoimmune orchitisM S Theas
Centro de Investigaciones en Reproduccion, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hum Reprod 21:1734-42. 2006Studies on experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) have helped to elucidate immunological mechanisms involved in testicular damage...
- Post-prostate biopsy infection with Escherichia coli ST131 leading to epididymo-orchitis and meningitis caused by Gram-negative bacilliAris Assimacopoulos
Sunwest Infusion and Infectious Disease Specialists, Goodyear, Arizona, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:4157-9. 2012..prostate biopsy for a rising prostate-specific antigen level developed postbiopsy necrotizing epididymo-orchitis (requiring orchiectomy) and then Gram-negative meningitis, despite fluoroquinolone administration for ..
- Histopathology of the tubuli recti at the start of experimental autoimmune orchitis in miceMunekazu Naito
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, 6 1 1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8402, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 42:230-5. 2009We previously established an experimental model of autoimmune orchitis (EAO) by means of immunization with testicular germ cells (TGC) alone in mice and confirmed that the disease can be transferred to mice that had received CD4+ but not ..
- Echo color Doppler findings in postpubertal mumps epididymo-orchitisL Tarantino
Ultrasound Service, D. Cotugno Hospital for Infectious Diseases, Naples, Italy
J Ultrasound Med 20:1189-95. 2001OBJECTIVE: To describe echo color Doppler features of mumps epididymo-orchitis in postpubertal boys and men...
- Mumps orchitis in the post-vaccine era (1967-2009): a single-center series of 67 patients and review of clinical outcome and trendsHugo Guillermo Ternavasio-de la Vega
Internal Medicine Service II, Hospital Universitario of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Medicine (Baltimore) 89:96-116. 2010..In that period, our institution attended 67 cases of serologically confirmed acute mumps orchitis, the most serious complication of mumps infection in young postpubertal males...
- Testosterone replacement effectively inhibits the development of experimental autoimmune orchitis in rats: evidence for a direct role of testosterone on regulatory T cell expansionMonika Fijak
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Justus Liebig University Giessen, 35385 Giessen, Germany
J Immunol 186:5162-72. 2011..A common observation in clinical and experimental orchitis as well as in systemic infection and inflammation are decreased levels of testosterone...
- Epididymo-orchitis complicating anorectal malformations: collective review of 41 casesVenkatachalam Raveenthiran
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Rajah Muthiah Medical College, Annamalai University, Tamilnadu, India
J Urol 186:1467-72. 2011Epididymo-orchitis is a devastating complication of imperforate anus. Without proper treatment the condition may result in infertility...
- Three Hsp70 genes are located in the C4-H-2D region: possible candidates for the Orch-1 locusM Snoek
Department of Molecular Genetics, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek, Amsterdam
Genomics 15:350-6. 1993..Susceptibility to experimental allergic orchitis, which is controlled by the Orch-1 locus, is one example...
- Multiple loci govern the bone marrow-derived immunoregulatory mechanism controlling dominant resistance to autoimmune orchitisN D Meeker
Department of Microbiology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:5684-8. 1995..better understand the nature and mechanisms of action of these genes, we utilized the murine model of autoimmune orchitis as a prototype...
- Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1/CCL2) in experimental autoimmune orchitisVanesa A Guazzone
Centro de Investigaciones en Reproduccion, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Paraguay 2155 piso 10, C1121 ABG, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Reprod Immunol 60:143-57. 2003Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is characterized by an interstitial mononuclear cell infiltrate and a severe lesion of seminiferous tubules with germ cells that undergo apoptosis and sloughing...
- Functional and phenotypic characteristics of testicular macrophages in experimental autoimmune orchitisC Rival
Centro de Investigaciones en Reproduccion, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Pathol 215:108-17. 2008..Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is a model of organ-specific autoimmunity and testicular inflammation...
- Identification of immunodominant autoantigens in rat autoimmune orchitisMonika Fijak
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Justus Liebig University of Giessen, D 35385 Giessen, Germany
J Pathol 207:127-38. 2005..Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) in the rat serves as a model for the investigation of inflammatory testicular impairment...
- Germ cell apoptosis in autoimmune orchitis: involvement of the Fas-FasL systemSusana Theas
Centro de Investigaciones en Reproduccion, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Bs As, Argentina
Am J Reprod Immunol 50:166-76. 2003The aim of this study was to determine the mechanism of germ cell death in experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) and the involvement of the Fas-FasL system in this process.
- Histamine receptor H1 is required for TCR-mediated p38 MAPK activation and optimal IFN-gamma production in miceRajkumar Noubade
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3507-18. 2007..is a susceptibility gene in both experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) and experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO), 2 classical T cell-mediated models of organ-specific autoimmune disease...
- Case 91: Tuberculous Epididymo-orchitisMalai Muttarak
Department of Radiology, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Radiology 238:748-51. 2006
- A common immunoregulatory locus controls susceptibility to actively induced experimental allergic encephalomyelitis and experimental allergic orchitis in BALB/c miceC Teuscher
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana 61802, USA
J Immunol 160:2751-6. 1998..susceptibility to actively induced experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE) and experimental allergic orchitis (EAO) exists among various BALB/c substrains...
- Mumps orchitisM Masarani
Department of Urology, Imperial College of London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London SW10 9NH, UK
J R Soc Med 99:573-5. 2006Although the incidence of mumps orchitis has dramatically declined since the introduction of the childhood vaccination programme, a sharp increase in reported cases of both mumps and mumps orchitis has been seen recently in the UK...
- Brucellar epididymo-orchitis in Saudi Arabia: a retrospective study of 26 cases and review of the literatureZ A Memish
Department of Infection Prevention and Control, King Fahad National Guard Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
BJU Int 88:72-6. 2001To review the clinical and laboratory features and response to treatment of patients with acute brucellar epididymo-orchitis reporting to a tertiary care hospital in Riyadh, and to compare these with other cases reported previously.
- Trichomonas vaginalis orchitis with associated severe oligoasthenoteratospermia and hypogonadismGranville L Lloyd
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
J Urol 170:924. 2003
- Tubercular epididymo-orchitis masquerading as testicular malignancy: an interesting caseRitesh Sachdev
Acta Cytol 52:511-2. 2008
- Chronic tuberculous epididymo-orchitis manifesting as a non-tender scrotal swelling: magnetic resonance imaging-histological correlationKo Woon Park
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Urology 71:755.e5-7. 2008Clinically, chronic tuberculous epididymo-orchitis often is nonspecific and subsequently is indistinguishable from other various scrotal lesions...
- The role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1 in the mammalian testis and their involvement in testicular torsion and autoimmune orchitisJeffrey J Lysiak
Department of Urology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2:9. 2004..IL-1 alpha, and IL-1 beta in the mammalian testis and in two testicular pathologies, testicular torsion and orchitis. TNF alpha in the testis is produced by round spermatids, pachytene spermatocytes, and testicular macrophages...
- Epididymitis and orchitis: an overviewThomas H Trojian
University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, Connecticut, USA
Am Fam Physician 79:583-7. 2009Epididymitis and orchitis are commonly seen in the outpatient setting. Men between 14 and 35 years of age are most often affected, and Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae are the most common pathogens in this age group...
- Bacterial LPS-mediated acute inflammation-induced spermatogenic failure in rats: role of stress response proteins and mitochondrial dysfunctionMallikarjuna Reddy Metukuri
Department of Animal Sciences, School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, AP, India
Inflammation 33:235-43. 2010..In conclusion, the present study shows the involvement of stress response proteins and mitochondrial dysfunction in LPS-induced germ cell death in male rats...
- Granulomatous epididymo-orchitis, a rare complication of intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy for urothelial cancerSigne Sofienberg Harving
Department of Urology, Frederiksberg Hospital, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Scand J Urol Nephrol 43:331-3. 2009Only a few cases of tuberculous epididymo-orchitis after bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) therapy have been published...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of tubercular epididymitis and epididymo-orchitisShatrughn Prasad Sah
Department of Pathology, B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
Acta Cytol 50:243-9. 2006To study the role of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) and ancillary studies in the diagnosis of tubercular epididymitis or epididymo-orchitis.
- Orchitis and human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infected cells in reproductive tissues from men with the acquired immune deficiency syndromeJ Pudney
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, Birgham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston Massachusetts 02115
Am J Pathol 139:149-60. 1991..There was no evidence of active HIV-1 infection in germ cells or Sertoli cells of the seminiferous tubules or other epithelial cells lining the excurrent ducts or prostatic glands...
- Rapid diagnosis of Brucella epididymo-orchitis by real-time polymerase chain reaction assay in urine samplesMaría Isabel Queipo-Ortuño
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Department, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaga, Malaga, Spain
J Urol 176:2290-3. 2006We studied the diagnostic yield of a real-time polymerase chain reaction assay in urine samples for the rapid diagnosis of brucella epididymo-orchitis compared to that of conventional microbiological techniques.
- The management of mumps orchitisTim M Lane
Department of Urology, Whipps Cross Hospital, London and Queen Mary Westfield School of Medicine, London, UK
BJU Int 97:1-2. 2006
- Proinflammatory effects of exogenously administered IL-10 in experimental autoimmune orchitisTetsushi Kaneko
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, Shinjuku 6 1 1, Shinjuku ku Tokyo, Japan
Cytokine 22:50-3. 2003..of exogenously administered recombinant murine interleukin (IL)-10 on the development of experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) in C3H/He mice...
- Clinical features of testicular torsion and epididymo-orchitis in infants younger than 3 monthsMing Chou Chiang
Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Taiwan
J Pediatr Surg 42:1574-7. 2007Testicular torsion (TT) and orchitis/epididymo-orchitis (EO) are confusing and difficult for physicians to diagnose in infants younger than 3 months...
- Late occurrence of bilateral tuberculous-like epididymo-orchitis after intravesical bacille Calmette-Guérin therapy for superficial bladder carcinomaC Falkensammer
Department of Urology, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Urology 65:175. 2005We report a case of bilateral tuberculous-like epididymo-orchitis occurring 3 years after intravesical bacille Calmette-Guérin instillation therapy in an 83-year-old patient with proven superficial bladder carcinoma...
- Post-transplant epididymitis and orchitis following Listeria monocytogenes septicaemiaC von Schnakenburg
Department of Paediatric Nephrology, Kinderklinik der Medizinischen Hochschule, Hannover, Germany
Pediatr Transplant 4:156-8. 2000We report the occurrence of epididymitis and orchitis 1 week after the onset of Listeriosis in an 11-month-old boy receiving an orthotopic liver transplantation for biliary atresia...
- Mechanisms of autoimmune disease in the testis and ovaryK S Tung
Department of Pathology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville 22908, USA
Hum Reprod Update 1:35-50. 1995..The inflammatory CD4 (Th1) T cell mechanism has been established to be a critical pathway for autoimmune orchitis and autoimmune oophoritis; tumour necrosis factor has been shown to be required for amplification of the ..
- Mumps orchitis in the non-immune postpubertal male: a resurgent threat to male fertility?Joe Philip
Department of Urology, Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospital NHS Trust, Liverpool, UK
BJU Int 97:138-41. 2006To report clinical findings associated with an increased incidence of mumps orchitis in Liverpool, UK, as in the last 2 years there has been a four-fold increase in the number of notified viral mumps cases in the UK.
- Experimental allergic orchitis in mice. VI. Recombinations within the H-2S/H-2D interval define the map position of the H-2-associated locus controlling disease susceptibilityC Teuscher
Division of Reproductive Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia
Immunogenetics 32:337-44. 1990Susceptibility to autoimmune orchitis is associated with an immune response (Ir) gene (now designated Orch-1) which was preliminarily shown to reside at or near the H-2D subregion of the major histocompatibility complex in the mouse (H-2)...
- Suppurative epididymo-orchitis and chronic prostatitis caused by Burkholderia pseudomallei: a case report and reviewMagalie Demar
Parasitology Mycology Unit, Cayenne Hospital University of West Indies and French Guiana University
J Travel Med 12:108-12. 2005
- Adeno-associated virus-mediated human IL-10 gene transfer suppresses the development of experimental autoimmune orchitisM Watanabe
Department of Urology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
Gene Ther 12:1126-32. 2005Testicular germ cell-induced autoimmune orchitis is characterized by inflammatory cell infiltration followed by disturbance of spermatogenesis...
- Xanthogranulomatous funiculitis and orchiepididymitis: report of 2 cases with immunohistochemical study and literature reviewManuel Nistal
Department of Pathology, La Paz Hospital, Spain
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:911-4. 2004..Clinically, our patients presented with spermatic cord enlargement (case 1) and chronic orchitis that did not respond to treatment with antibiotics (case 2)...
- Preoperative diagnosis of bilateral tuberculous epididymo-orchitis following intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guerin therapy for superficial bladder carcinomaMalai Muttarak
Department of Radiology, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Australas Radiol 46:183-5. 2002We report a case of bilateral tuberculous epididymo-orchitis following intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) therapy for superficial bladder carcinoma in which the diagnosis was made by ultrasonography prior to surgery...
- Diagnosis of isolated tuberculous orchitis by fine-needle aspiration cytologyRajendra Singh Garbyal
Department of Pathology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Diagn Cytopathol 34:698-700. 2006An isolated tuberculous Orchitis without epididymal involvement is rare. This case report describes an extra pulmonary tuberculosis with exclusively testicular presentation...
- Defects in the regulatory clearance mechanisms favor the breakdown of self-tolerance during spontaneous autoimmune orchitisR Marc Pelletier
Departement de pathologie et biologie cellulaire, Universite de Montreal, QC, Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R743-62. 2009We identified aberrations leading to spontaneous autoimmune orchitis (AIO) in mink, a seasonal breeder and natural model for autoimmunity...
- Clinical findings, diagnostic approach, and outcome of Brucella melitensis epididymo-orchitisJuan D Colmenero
Infectious Diseases Service, Carlos Haya University Hospital, 29010 Malaga, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 57:367-72. 2007We have studied 912 patients with brucellosis. Of these, 631 (69.2%) were male and 48 had epididymo-orchitis, giving an incidence of epididymo-orchitis of 7.6%. The duration of symptoms before diagnosis was 52.5 +/- 70 days...
- Mumps vaccine associated orchitis: Evidence supporting a potential immune-mediated mechanismVanessa Clifford
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of General Medicine and Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Vaccine 28:2671-3. 2010We report 3 cases of orchitis following vaccination with mumps-measles-rubella (MMR) vaccine, two with an onset within 3 days following vaccination...
- Immunoprivileged sites: the testisMonika Fijak
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Justus Liebig University of Giessen, Giessen, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 677:459-70. 2011....
- Tuberculous epididymo-orchitis and prostatitis: a case reportM Ludwig
Urological Practice A von Keitz, M Schwickardi and M Ludwig, Marburg, Germany
Andrologia 40:81-3. 2008..The treatment of choice is primarily medical, consisting of a combination of three or four anti-TB drugs, sometimes combined with surgery...
- Malignant tumor of testis imitating epididymo-orchitisH W Kao
Department of Radiology, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Arch Androl 51:407-11. 2005..All the findings including color duplex ultrasonography (US) and scintigraphy were considered as right epididymo-orchitis. Unfortunately, the patient presented with metastatic lymphadenopathy of the neck from mixed germ cell tumor of ..
- Tumour necrosis factor-alpha released by testicular macrophages induces apoptosis of germ cells in autoimmune orchitisM S Theas
Instituto de Investigaciones en Reproducción, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Paraguay 2155, Piso 10, C1121 ABG Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hum Reprod 23:1865-72. 2008Experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) is a model of chronic inflammation and infertility useful for studying testicular immune and germ cell (GC) interactions...
- Xanthogranulomatous orchitis in an adult NigerianAbdulkadir A Salako
Department of Surgery, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Int J Urol 13:186-8. 2006Xanthogranulomatous orchitis (XGO) is a rare benign disease of the testis which has not been previously documented in tropical Africa. We report a case of a 24-year-old Nigerian man who presented with a painless left hemiscrotal swelling...
- Meconium periorchitis--a rare cause of a paratesticular massHelen J Williams
Department of Radiology, Royal Liverpool Children s Hospital, Alder Hey, Eaton Road, Liverpool, L12 2AP, UK
Pediatr Radiol 34:421-3. 2004..Histology confirmed the unexpected diagnosis of meconium periorchitis, a rare, benign condition resulting from intrauterine bowel perforation...
- Xanthogranulomatous orchitisRonald L Yap
Department of Urology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Urology 63:176-7. 2004..Only two prior cases of xanthogranulomatous orchitis have been reported...
- Involvement of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in the pathogenesis of autoimmune orchitis in ratsMaria O Suescun
Instituto Multidisciplinario de Biologia Celular, CONICET, La Plata, Argentina
Biol Reprod 68:2114-21. 2003We studied the testicular macrophages of rats with experimental autoimmune orchitis (EAO) and analyzed whether the tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNFalpha) is involved in germ cell apoptosis and in Leydig cell steroidogenesis...
- The direct medical cost of epididymitis and orchitis: evidence from a study of insurance claimsThomas L Gift
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Sex Transm Dis 33:S84-8. 2006Epididymitis and orchitis (EO) are the primary sequelae of acute chlamydia and gonorrhea in men. Existing estimates of the cost per episode of epididymitis are over 10 years old or are based on limited data.
- Comparison of tuberculous and pyogenic epididymal abscesses: clinical, gray-scale sonographic, and color Doppler sonographic featuresD M Yang
Department of Radiology, Gachon Medical College, Gil Medical Center, 1198, Guwol-Dong, Namdong-gu, Inchon, 405-760, South Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 177:1131-5. 2001..The presence of long-term scrotal swelling without tenderness and a lower degree of blood flow in the peripheral portion of a large abscess are suggestive of tuberculous epididymal abscess...
- Brucella epididymo-orchitis: a consideration in endemic areaJaffar A Al-Tawfiq
Internal Medicine Services Division, Dhahran Health Center, Saudi Aramco Medical Services Organization, Saudi Aramco, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Int Braz J Urol 32:313-5. 2006Brucellosis is a zoonotic disease caused by Brucella sp. and may affect many parts of the body. Brucella epididymo-orchitis had been reported in up to 20% of patients with brucellosis...
- Acute scrotum in Nigeria: an 18-year reviewN H Mbibu
Department of Surgery, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital Zaria, Nigeria
Trop Doct 34:34-6. 2004..Twelve per cent of cases of suspected torsion were found to have epididymo-orchitis, at exploration...
- Tubercular scrotal diseaseKim R Geisinger
Acta Cytol 50:241-2. 2006
- Are we missing mumps epididymo-orchitis?C Emerson
Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Int J STD AIDS 18:341-2. 2007Mumps epididymo-orchitis has not been recorded as a cause of testicular symptoms without systemic features (including parotitis)...
- Epididymo-orchitis and testicular abscess caused by Salmonella enteritidis in immunocompromised patients in KuwaitKhalid Al-Obeid
Department of Microbiology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Teaching Hospital, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 15:305-8. 2006To report relatively uncommon presentations of epididymo-orchitis and testicular abscess caused by Salmonella spp. in 2 immunocompromised patients.
- Endemic brucellar epididymo-orchitis: a 10-year experienceAthanasios G Papatsoris
Department of Urology, St Andrews Patras Regional Hospital, Greece
Int J Infect Dis 6:309-13. 2002..and laboratory features, treatment and outcome of patients suffering from Brucella melitensis-induced epididymo-orchitis, in comparison with cases of nonspecific epididymo-orchitis...
- [Ultrasound of the scrotum]G Stuckmann
Institut fur Radiologie, Kantonsspital Winterthur
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:709-20. 2006..In cases of acute scrotum or of vascular and inflammatory lesions, Doppler ultrasound is mandatory. This article gives a systematical survey of the most frequent scrotal lesions and their appearance in ultrasound...
- Testicular torsion revisitedJohn R Mernagh
Department of Radiology, McMaster University Medical Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 33:60-73. 2004..Other abnormalities that can be potentially confused with testicular torsion, including epididymitis and orchitis, will be shown...
- [Pseudoneoplastic form of Chlamydia trachomatis epididymo-orchitis: a case report]Emmanuel Kessler
Service de Chirurgie Urologique et Andrologie, CHRU de Limoges, France
Prog Urol 13:1392-3. 2003Pseudoneoplastic Chlamydia trachomatis epididymo-orchitis is a rare clinical entity. The differential diagnosis with malignant tumour of the testis remains difficult and surgical exploration with orchidectomy is often difficult to avoid...
- Electro-orchidogram: a non-invasive diagnostic tool in testicular pathologiesAhmed Shafik
Department of Surgery and Experimental Research, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Med Sci Monit 12:MT51-5. 2006..We investigated the hypothesis that the transcutaneous electro-orchidogram (EOG) can act as a diagnostic tool in testicular pathological conditions...
- Epididymo-orchitis complicating Streptococcus pyogenes throat infectionSebastiaan J van Hal
Department of Infectious Diseases, Prince of Wales Hospital, Barker Street, Randwick, NSW 2031
Med J Aust 178:89. 2003
- Effect of experimentally induced Escherichia coli epididymo-orchitis and ciprofloxacin treatment on rat spermatogenesisAslan Demir
Department of Urology, Marmara University School of Medicine, Tophanelioglu Cd 13 15, Altunizade 34662, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Urol 14:268-72. 2007We investigated the effects of epididymo-orchitis and ciprofloxacin on rat testicular histology and spermatogenesis. The control group underwent left orchiectomy. The second group received oral ciprofloxacin (150 mg/kg/day) for 10 days...
- Pseudoneoplastic lesions of the testis and paratesticular structuresF Algaba
Pathology Section, Fundacio Puigvert, Barcelona, Spain
Virchows Arch 451:987-97. 2007..These lesions can be classified as macroscopic or microscopic mimickers of neoplasia...
- [Isolation of Brucella melitensis from ejaculate culture of a brucellosis patient with epididymoorchitis]Ebru Emel Sozen
Karadeniz Teknik Universitesi Tip Fakültesi, Enfeksiyon Hastaliklari ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Trabzon
Mikrobiyol Bul 41:465-8. 2007....
- Unilateral orchitis and epididymitis caused by Salmonella enterica subspecies diarizonae infection in a ramMa del Carmen Ferreras
Dpto Patologia Animal Medicina Animal Anatomia Patológica, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Leon, Campus de Vegazana, S N, 24071 Leon, Spain
J Vet Diagn Invest 19:194-7. 2007A case of unilateral suppurative epididymo-orchitis associated with Salmonella enterica subsp. diarizonae serovar 61:k:1,5,(7) infection is described in a 2-year-old ram...
- Case report. Tuberculous epididymo-orchitis: MRI findingsA C Tsili
Department of Clinical Radiology, University Hospital of Ioannina, 45500 Ioannina, Greece
Br J Radiol 81:e166-9. 2008..Urine cultures obtained from a percutaneous left nephrostomy were positive for tuberculous bacilli, and the patient was placed on anti-tuberculous treatment...
- Scrotal involvement in childhood Henoch-Schönlein purpuraTae Sun Ha
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, Chungbuk National University Hospital, Cheongju, Korea
Acta Paediatr 96:552-5. 2007..Henoch-Schönlein purpura (HSP) is a common childhood systemic vasculitis involving the skin, gastrointestinal tract, joint, kidneys and even scrotum...
- Clinical presentation of acute scrotum in young malesChia Chu Liu
Department of Urology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 23:281-6. 2007..torsion (TT), eight patients with torsion of the testicular appendage (TTA), and 38 patients with epididymo-orchitis (EO). The mean ages of the TT group (14.0 +/- 5.7 years) and EO group (16.6 +/- 7...
- Brucella abortus epididymo-orchitis relapsing in the opposite testis 3 months after antibiotic therapy and development of aspermiaEsragul Akinci
Int J Infect Dis 7:290-1. 2003
- [Scrotal ultrasonography. Part I: common non-cancerous pathologies]C Roy
Service de Radiologie B, Chir A, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Hopital Civil, 1 Place de l Hopital, BP 426, 67091 Strasbourg
J Radiol 84:581-95. 2003..When a tumoral process is suspected, surgery is required to confirm the diagnosis and provide histology. The role of MR remains under evaluation...
- [Testicular microlithiasis and testicular cancer]Manuel Angel Ortiz Gorraiz
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Universitario Virgen de las Nieves, Granada, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 56:521-4. 2003..The etiopathogenesis, incidence and attitude are discussed...
- Role of fine needle aspiration cytology in nonneoplastic testicular and scrotal lesions and male infertilityUm Handa
Department of Pathology and Surgery, Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India
Acta Cytol 50:513-7. 2006..To study the role of fine needle aspiration (FNA) in male infertility and in nonneoplastic lesions of the testis and scrotum...
- Measles, mumps and rubella -- the urologist's perspectiveR Singh
North Hampshire NHS Trust, Urology, Hampshire, UK
Int J Clin Pract 60:335-9. 2006..The article reviews the pathophysiology, clinical symptoms, diagnosis, and long-term sequelae of this increasingly prevalent condition and provides a reference for all practising urologists treating this disease...
- [Tuberculous orchiepididymitis and CNS complication]B Miletic
Klinik fur Innere Medizin, Klinisches Krankenhaus Rijeka, Kroatien
Aktuelle Urol 37:67-8. 2006..Hydrocephalus as a complication of tuberculous orchiepididymitis is extremely rare. In this reported case, hydrocephalus was the consequence of a disseminated tuberculous process...
- Addisonian crisis and tuberculous epididymo-orchitisYin Chian Kon
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Endocr Pract 8:365-9. 2002To describe a case of acute primary adrenal insufficiency in which tuberculosis was subsequently detected as the etiologic factor when the patient presented with tuberculous epididymo-orchitis.
- Advanced Nitric Oxide Release Bactericidal Urinary CathetersMark E Meyerhoff; Fiscal Year: 2013..such as cystitis, pyelonephritis, gram-negative bacteremia, prostatitis, epididymitis, urosepsis, septicemia, orchitis, endocarditis, vertebral osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, endophthalmitis, and meningitis n all patients...
- PURIFIED TESTIS ANTIGENS AND TESTICULAR AUTOIMMUNITYKenneth Tung; Fiscal Year: 1991Murine experimental allergic orchitis (EAO) has been induced with mouse testis homogenate (TH) or rat Sertoli cell plasma membrane (RSCPM), using Bordetella pertussis extract (BPE) as adjuvant...
- REGULATION OF E-SELECTIN DURING ACUTE INFLAMMATIONKevin Billups; Fiscal Year: 1999..Examples of specific disorders include: pyelonephritis, cystitis, epididymitis, orchitis, and prostatitis...
- REGULATION OF TESTICULAR BLOOD FLOWClaude Desjardins; Fiscal Year: 1993..reproductive health because it provides a framework for investigating the unknown etiology of testicular vascular disorders (varicocele, orchitis, and cryptorchidism), the most prominent source of testicular dysfunction and infertility.
- IMMUNOREGULATORY LOCI IN ORGAN SPECIFIC AUTOIMMUNITYCory Teuscher; Fiscal Year: 2001..For example, two less popular models, experimental allergic orchitis (EAO) and autoimmune ovarian dysgenesis (AOD), are at the forefront of characterizing the genetic architecture of ..
- BASIC AND CLINICAL RHEUMATOLOGYJOEL TAUROG; Fiscal Year: 2005..Simmons Arthritis Research Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. ..
- Autoimmunity and Pathogenesis of GlomerulonephritisHarini Bagavant; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will provide insights into pathogenesis of lupus nephritis and identify checkpoints for intervention in patients. ..
- HLA-B27 and Experimental SpondyloarthropathyJOEL TAUROG; Fiscal Year: 2009..Overall, the project should contribute substantially to resolving several important issues about the role of HLA-B27 and innate immunity in chronic inflammatory disease. ..
- Regulatory T cells in Systemic Lupus ErythematosusHarini Bagavant; Fiscal Year: 2007..This award will help to overcome the lag period in my career induced by my leave of absence and return to a new field of study, and will facilitate my aim of becoming an independent scientist. ..
- Role of T Cells in Experimental SpondyloarthropathyJOEL TAUROG; Fiscal Year: 2002..These experiments will examine directly the effect of Tap2a on the B27 peptide repertoire and on disease manifestations. ..
- GLYCOCONJUGATE-INDUCED TOLERANCE IN NATURAL KILLER CELLSGary Clark; Fiscal Year: 2002..The primary goal of this study is to carry out experiments complementing preliminary studies in support of this glycoconjugate-based model. ..
- Potential Role of Glycosylation in AIDS PathogenesisGary Clark; Fiscal Year: 2005..These preliminary studies will be crucial for determining if HIV-1 is employing its carbohydrate sequences as functional groups to mediate immune suppression. ..
- Autoimmune Oophoritis: Consequences of Gamete VaccinesKenneth Tung; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specifically, we will determine the immunogenetic regulation of the immune response to CP2, and the influence of the B cell epitope specificity of the ZP Ab on the induction of progenic AOD. ..
- Sertoli Cell Mediated Engulfment of Apoptotic Germ CellsKodi S Ravichandran; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..