Genomes and Genes
Summary: A cystic distention of the epididymis or the rete testis containing spermatozoa. (Dorland, 27th ed)
- Spermatoceles in adults: when does size matter?Thomas J Walsh
Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco, 1600 Divisadero St, Box 1695, San Francisco, CA 94143 1695, USA
Arch Androl 53:345-8. 2007..Men in this series appear to tolerate spermatoceles for a relatively long period of time. Once they seek excision, spermatoceles have grown to roughly the size of a normal testicle and men are bothered both by pain and mass symptoms...
- Role of fine needle aspiration cytology in nonneoplastic testicular and scrotal lesions and male infertilityUm Handa
Department of Pathology and Surgery, Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India
Acta Cytol 50:513-7. 2006..To study the role of fine needle aspiration (FNA) in male infertility and in nonneoplastic lesions of the testis and scrotum...
- Torsion of spermatocele: a rare manifestationKeita Takimoto
Department of Urology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Japan
Urol Int 69:164-5. 2002Torsion of a spermatocele on its pedicle is an extremely rare clinical condition that mimics acute testicular torsion. This rare condition has not been well characterized. Here, we report a case of torsion of a spermatocele...
- [Scrotal ultrasonography. Part I: common non-cancerous pathologies]C Roy
Service de Radiologie B, Chir A, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Hopital Civil, 1 Place de l Hopital, BP 426, 67091 Strasbourg
J Radiol 84:581-95. 2003..When a tumoral process is suspected, surgery is required to confirm the diagnosis and provide histology. The role of MR remains under evaluation...
- Detection and diagnosis of scrotal massesElizabeth Esparza Fuentes
Preventive Medicine Clinic of Dallas, USA
Adv Nurse Pract 13:35-6, 38. 2005
- [Painless enlargement of the scrotum]C Gratzke
Urologische KIlnik und Poliklinik der LMU, Klinikum Grosshadern
MMW Fortschr Med 148:42-3, 45. 2006..The reliable and rapid differentiation of harmless from serious conditions such as cancer of the testicles, is essential...
- Prevalence of cysts in seminal tract and abnormal semen parameters in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney diseaseRoser Torra
Inherited Renal Disorders, Nephrology Department, Fundacio Puigvert, Cartagena 340 350, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:790-3. 2008..The scope of this study was to analyze the prevalence of seminal cysts and to correlate these findings with the sperm parameters in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease...
- Evaluating the risk of epididymal injury during hydrocelectomy and spermatocelectomyMichael P Zahalsky
Department of Urology, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
J Urol 171:2291-2. 2004..To our knowledge the incidences of epididymal injury during hydrocelectomy and spermatocelectomy have not previously been reported...
- Color Doppler sonography in evaluation of spermatoceles: the "falling snow" signAkhilesh K Sista
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0628, USA
J Ultrasound Med 27:141-3. 2008..Doppler sonography is not commonly used in evaluation of cystic lesions with internal echoes. Here we report the use of the mechanical properties of color Doppler sonography to further characterize 3 spermatoceles...
- Pure (non-papillary) serous cystadenoma of the epididymis: a histologic and immunohistochemical studyAchille Pich
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, Section of Pathology, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Pathol Res Pract 201:65-9. 2005..The differential diagnosis to spermatocele and adenomatoid tumor of the epididymis is discussed.
- Spermatocele: a rare complication of rectal surgery and radiotherapy. Case reportM Balkan
Department of General Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, 06018 Ankara, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 104:209-10. 2004..CT-guided biopsy and cytological examination of the mass revealed no malignancy but spermatocele, which is a very unusual complication of rectal surgery.
- [Calcified spermatocele in a patient with a congenital malformation and renal lithiasis]Stefano Trovarelli
Cattedra di Urologia, Universita degli Studi di Siena, Siena, Italia
Arch Esp Urol 60:815-6. 2007
- Primary bilateral spermatoceleHalil Basar
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Kirikkale University, Turkey
Int J Urol 10:59-61. 2003We report the case of a bilateral, relatively huge, multilocular spermatocele diagnosed at sonography with surgical and pathological correlation. A 45-year-old man presented with bilateral, large inguinoscrotal masses...
- [Hydrocele, spermatocele, and vasectomy: management of complications]S Kliesch
Department of Andrology, Centre of Reproductive Medicine and Andrology, University Clinics of Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Campus 1, D11, 48149, Munster, Deutschland
Urologe A 53:671-5. 2014Indications for hydrocele and spermatocele treatment are based on diagnosis with high-resolution ultrasonography...
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor, a human testis epididymis secretory product, promotes human prostate stromal cell growth in cultureJohn T Grayhack
Department of Urology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Urol 171:434-8. 2004..We identified and characterized unrecognized testicular secretory proteins that impact human prostate growth...
- Ultrasound findings of masses of the paratesticular spaceJ M Smart
Department of Radiology, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Clin Radiol 63:929-38. 2008..The ultrasound findings (both typical and atypical) of these lesions are clarified, and emphasis is given to the features that help to differentiate between them...
- Intratesticular spermatoceleR S Davis
Department of Urology, University of Rochester Medical Center, New York 14642, USA
Urology 51:167-9. 1998..These benign cysts may contain sperm. We present a case of a benign sperm-containing cyst with visible communication to the rete testis, designated an intratesticular spermatocele and managed with testicle preservation.
- [Two cases of intrascrotal tumors complicated acute scrotum]Hideki Takeshita
Department of Urology, Saitama Red Cross Hospital
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 99:698-702. 2008..Testicular torsion was suspected, and surgical exploration was performed. A spermatocele with 180 degrees torsion on its pedicle was observed...
- Transurethral endoscopy technique with a ureteroscope for diagnosis and management of seminal tracts disorders: a new approachLongkun Li
Urological Center, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
J Endourol 22:719-24. 2008..To apply a transurethral endoscopic technique for examining and managing suspicious distal seminal tracts disorders with a ureteroscope...
- Theriogenology question of the month. Seminoma, spermatocele, sustentacular cell tumorWalter R Threlfall
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 226:1649-50. 2005
- Testicular hamartomas in Cowden diseaseChristopher Lindsay
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Clin Ultrasound 31:481-3. 2003..Sonographic examination showed that the mass was either a spermatocele or an epididymal cyst and that multiple hyperechoic lesions were present in both testes...
- [Nonsurgical and endoscopic therapy in obstructive azoospermia]E Patelli
IRCCS, Ospedale Maggiore di Milano, Clinica Urologica I
Arch Ital Urol Androl 68:373-8. 1996..Finally concurs with the sperm selection techniques to fertility potential wealth...
- Chronic orchialgia: evaluation and discussion of treatment optionsLaurence Levine
Department of Urology, Rush University Medical Center, 1725 W Harrison Street, Chicago, IL, USA
Ther Adv Urol 2:209-14. 2010..Easily recognized and reversible causes include spermatocele, tumor, infection, varicocele, and torsion...
- Extra scrotal spermatocele causing lower abdominal pain: a first case reportDenis J Dollard
Department of Emergency Medicine, Mercy Philadelphia Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19143, USA
Am J Emerg Med 29:358.e7-9. 2011..We report a case of extra scrotal spermatocele causing lower quadrant abdominal pain that was misdiagnosed as an inguinal hernia on several ED visits...
- Scrotal pathology in the outpatient setting in Operation Iraqi FreedomSteve Waxman
Urology Department, Brooke Army Medical Center, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Mil Med 174:539-41. 2009..Scrotal sonograms on these patients found only 1 patient with a testicular neoplasm. Varicocele (6.2%), spermatocele (4.9%), and hydrocele (2.5%) accounted for the remaining scrotal findings...
- Ultrasound follow-up of ethanolamine oleate sclerotherapy for spermatocelesS I Mattila
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Oulu University Central Hospital, Finland
Eur Urol 23:361-5. 1993..We examine here the efficacy and safety of ethanolamine oleate sclerotherapy in cases of spermatocele using ultrasound (US) before treatment and during follow-up...
- Torsion of a spermatocele: a case report and review of the literatureR I Kaye
Division of Urological Surgery, Albany Medical Center Hospital, New York
J Urol 143:786. 1990We report a case of torsion of a spermatocele in an adolescent. This condition has been described previously in adults. We recommend its consideration in the differential diagnosis of the acute scrotum in adolescents.
- Synergistic action of steroids and spermatocele fluid on in vitro proliferation of prostate stromaJ T Grayhack
Department of Urology, Northwestern University Medical School Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Urol 159:2202-9. 1998..The objective of the present study is to characterize in vitro prostate stromal proliferative factors in testis epididymal secretions...
- Spermatocele following kidney transplantA J Osband
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, NJ, USA
Am J Transplant 12:1936-7. 2012..We present an unusual case of a kidney transplant recipient whose presumed lymphocele was actually a spermatocele. Our patient is a 60-year-old man who is 11 years status post his second deceased donor kidney transplant...
- Epididymal cysts in childhood - conservative or surgical approach?Jerzy Niedzielski
Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology, Chair of Pediatric Surgery, University School of Medicine in Łódź, University Children s Hospital, No 4 in Łódź
Pol Przegl Chir 84:406-10. 2012..To decide on the accurate way of treatment and to establish criteria for operation in boys with pubertal epididymal cysts (ECs)...
- [Cryptorchidism: medium- and long-term follow-up]V Rossi
Dipartimento Salute della Donna, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milano, Italia
Minerva Pediatr 65:261-9. 2013..We wanted to evaluate the correlation between age at orchiopexy and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH) and testosterone levels in adulthood, determining the long-term complications of surgical treatment...
- Bilateral spermatocele concurrent with bilateral scrotal hydrocele presenting huge scrotal swellingKoji Mitsuzuka
Department of Urology, Ogachi Chuo Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 53:729-31. 2007..Bilateral spermatocele is very rare; moreover, this is the first report of bilateral spermatocele concurrent with bilateral hydrocele.
- A randomized trial comparing 2 doses of polidocanol sclerotherapy for hydrocele or spermatoceleStaffan Jahnson
Department of Urology, Institution of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
J Urol 186:1319-23. 2011Polidocanol sclerotherapy for hydrocele or spermatocele combines high efficiency with low morbidity, but the optimal dose is not known...
- Bilateral epidiymal cysts in an alpaca male used for breedingG Anthony Gray
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, USA
Can Vet J 48:741-4. 2007..Biopsies of each testicle evidenced mild testicular degeneration. Histopathologic examination of the gonads revealed cystic efferent ductules in the head of each epididymis...
- Combined VHLH and PTEN mutation causes genital tract cystadenoma and squamous metaplasiaIan J Frew
Institute of Cell Biology, ETH Zurich, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 28:4536-48. 2008..Our studies suggest a model for cooperative tumor suppression in which inactivation of PTEN facilitates epididymal cystadenoma genesis initiated by loss of VHL...
- Male fertility after spermatocele formation from tunica vaginalis in patients with bilateral vas agenesisAli Shamsa
Urology Section, Ghaem Hospital, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 19:583-6. 2008To form spermatocele from vaginal layers as a sperm reservoir and intra-uterine insemination (IUI) in infertile men with bilateral vas agenesis (BVA), we studied 19 patients with azoospermia due to BVA referred to our infertility clinic ..
- Giant spermatocele mimicking hydrocele: a case reportHsin Chih Yeh
Department of Urology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 23:366-9. 2007..We report a case of giant spermatocele that mimicked a hydrocele. A 55-year-old man suffered from right scrotal enlargement for several years...
- Microcystic lesion of the testisC W Mak
Department of Radiological Technology, Central Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Taichung, Taiwan
Br J Radiol 80:67-8. 2007
- Inguinal orchiectomy for the extra testis with suspected tumor in a polyorchidic patient: a case reportIsmet Nane
Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Urology Department, Istanbul University, Capa, Istanbul, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 39:557-9. 2007..15 cc volume, a small left testicle (5 cc) and a 4 cc mass under the left testicle, which was thought to be a spermatocele. Ultrasonographic imaging was performed and the mass was defined as a third testicle with a heterogenic ..
- Clear cell papillary cystadenoma with sonographic and histopathologic correlationSarada Uppuluri
Department of Radiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY 14642 USA
J Ultrasound Med 25:1451-3. 2006
- Color Doppler ultrasonography as a routine clinical examination in male infertilityHideo Sakamoto
Department of Urology, Showa University Fujigaoka Hospital, Showa University School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
Int J Urol 13:1073-8. 2006..We assessed the value of scrotal color Doppler ultrasonography as a routine examination in infertile men...
- A rare case of large epididymal cyst in androgen insensitivity syndrome removed laparoscopicallyAlka Kriplani
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 16:504-6. 2009..Histopathologic study showed testis with an epididymal cyst. Formation of epididymal cyst is rare in these cases. The patient did well in the postoperative period. She was put on hormone replacement therapy and is doing well...
- Sclerotherapy of hydroceles and spermatoceles with alcohol: results and effects on the semen analysisChen Jen Shan
Division of Urology Department of Surgery, Hospital das Clinicas Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 37:307-12; discussion 312-33. 2011..To evaluate the success rates of sclerotherapy of the tunica vaginalis with alcohol for the treatment of hydroceles and/or spermatoceles, as well as, evaluation of pain, formation of hematomas, infection and its effects in spermatogenesis...
- Small blue cells mimicking small cell carcinoma in spermatocele and hydrocele specimens: a report of 5 casesZhaoli Lane
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Hum Pathol 41:88-93. 2010We identified 5 cases of hydrocele and spermatocele resections containing detached small cellular "blue" clusters, raising questions of small cell carcinoma by contributors to our consult service...
- Torsion of testis with large epididymal cyst in a 57-year-old man: a case reportYusuf Ozlem Ilbey
Bezm i Alem Valide Sultan, Vakif Gureba Trainig and Education Hospital, Department of Urology, Istanbul, Turkey
Arch Ital Urol Androl 80:111-2. 2008..Testicular torsion is a rare pathology in adults. While it generally develops as a consequence of certain congenital abnormalities in pediatric and adolescent patients, the exact mechanism in adults remains unclear...
- [Scrotal masses in adulthood]Markku Leskinen
Seinäjoen keskussairaala, kirurgian ja urologian toimintayksiköt, Hanneksenrinne 7, 60220 Seinajoki
Duodecim 125:1869-76. 2009..Benign processes such as hydrocele, spermatocele and varicocele are the most common causes for scrotal abnormalities...
- Sclerotherapy of idiopathic hydroceles and epididymal cysts: a historical comparison trial of 5% phenol versus tetracyclineJ M East
Cornwall Regional Hospital, Western Regional Health Authority, Montego Bay, Jamaica, West Indies
West Indian Med J 56:520-5. 2007..Concern about post-treatment fertility applies equally to surgery and demands informed consent for both modalities...
- Cystic dysplasia of the epididymis: a disorder of mesonephric differentiation associated with renal maldevelopmentManuel Nistal
Department of Pathology, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Virchows Arch 456:695-702. 2010..The shared embryological origin of these structures may explain their simultaneous occurrence, possibly related to disrupted mesonephric duct development...
- [Epididymal cyst in von Hippel-Lindau syndrome: clinicopathologic analysis of 3 cases]Zhu Hou
Department of Urology, Beijing Anzhen Hospital Affiliated to Capital Medical University, Beijing 100029, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 16:142-5. 2010..To investigate the clinicopathologic features of epididymal cyst in von Hippel-Lindau (VHL) syndrome...
- Imaging of non-neoplastic intratesticular massesShweta Bhatt
Department of Imaging Sciences, University of Rochester Medical Center, New York, USA
Diagn Interv Radiol 17:52-63. 2011..Gray-scale and color-flow Doppler sonography facilitate the visualization of the benign characteristics of the lesions. Magnetic resonance imaging can also help as a problem-solving modality in some cases...
- Common scrotal and testicular problemsStephen M Wampler
Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan, Room L2003, Box 5239, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5239, USA
Prim Care 37:613-26, x. 2010..Palpable abnormalities covered here include cryptorchidism, hydrocele, spermatocele, varicocele, and testicular cancer.
- The falling snow sign in an ovarian dermoidAkhilesh K Sista
J Ultrasound Med 27:496. 2008
- A unique radiological pentad of mesonephric duct abnormalities in a young man presenting with testicular swellingR G Casey
Department of Urology, Adelaide and Meath Hospitals incorporating the National Children s Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland
Br J Radiol 81:e93-6. 2008..We review and discuss the relevant literature of this case and discuss in detail the embryological basis for this unusual combination of findings...
- Do mountain bikers have a higher risk of scrotal disorders than on-road cyclists?Michael Mitterberger
Departments of Urology, Medical University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Clin J Sport Med 18:49-54. 2008..To sonographically investigate whether mountain bikers have a higher prevalence of scrotal abnormalities compared with on-road cyclists...
- Microsurgical spermatocelectomy: technique and outcomes of a novel surgical approachEric C Kauffman
Department of Urology, Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
J Urol 185:238-42. 2011..We present the technique of microsurgical spermatocelectomy and report our perioperative and recurrence outcomes...
- The right sided syndrome, congenital absence of kidney and testisK V S Hari Kumar
Department of Endocrinology, Medwin Hospitals, Chirag Ali Lane, Nampally, Hyderabad, AP, India
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 22:315-8. 2011..He underwent abdomino-anal pull-through operation and later clinical course was complicated by recurrent cystitis, secondary vesicoureteral reflux and hydroureteronephrosis of solitary kidney, progressing to chronic kidney disease...
- Crushing artifacts resulting in small blue cellular clusters that simulate small cell carcinomaFederica Flamminio
University of Bologna, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Int J Surg Pathol 19:487-91. 2011..Here the authors report examples of this phenomenon that have been reported or that they have personally observed and emphasize some diagnostic clue to avoid its overinterpretation and the dire clinical consequences that this may entail...
- Relationships of testicular volume and fine-needle aspiration cytology pattern in infertile azoospermic men (Fgae Centeral Clinic, 2003-4)Tadesse Kitilla
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical Faculty, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Ethiop Med J 45:19-28. 2007..This case series study aimed to find the relation of testicular volume with fine- needle aspiration cytology results in azoospermic infertile males to indicate the probable reason for azoospermia...
- Tubular ectasia within the mediastinum testisB J Weingarten
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI 48202
J Ultrasound Med 11:349-53. 1992..All patients had an associated extratesticular finding, in most cases a spermatocele. Tubular ectasia shares several features with testicular cysts and mechanisms of formation are postulated to be ..
- Tumours and tumour-like conditions of the para-testicular region--a study of morphological featuresN Jayaram
Anand Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Bangalore, India
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 41:287-95. 1998..comprised of 6 cases of adenomatous hyperplasia of epididymis, 4 cases of spermatic granuloma, 2 cases each of spermatocele and nodular-fibrous proliferation and one mesothelial cyst...
- Composition of fluids obtained from human epididymal cystsT G Cooper
Institute of Reproductive Medicine, University of Munster, FRG
Urol Res 20:275-80. 1992..Fluid from an epididymal cyst containing no spermatozoa was mainly of similar composition. In contrast, hydrocoele fluid resembles blood serum...
- Testicular massesJ Junnila
U S Army Health Clinic, Butzbach, Germany
Am Fam Physician 57:685-92. 1998..Referral to a urologist should be made immediately if one of these diagnoses is suspected. Benign causes of scrotal masses, including hydrocele, varicocele and spermatocele, may be diagnosed and managed easily in the primary care office.
- [Complicated spermatocele as a cause of scrotal mass with solid appearance. Ultrasonographic findings]M R Cozcolluela Cabrejas
Servicios de Radiodiagnóstico, Hospital Reina Sofia, Tudela Navarra
Actas Urol Esp 20:750-2. 1996We report an atypical case of spermatocele in which sonographic findings demonstrated an intraescrotal mass fixed to the testicle, apparently solid and with important vascularity, being these findings suspicious of malignant tumor...
- Natural spermatoceles in irreversible obstructive azoospermia--reservoirs of viable spermatozoa for assisted conceptionA V Hirsh
Hallam Medical Centre, London Women s Clinic, UK
Hum Reprod 11:1919-22. 1996..This is less invasive than the alternative sperm retrieval procedures, which are more traumatic and require local or general anaesthesia...
- [Prevention of postoperative scrotal edema]G Bodo
Divisione di Urologia, USSL n 40, Ospedale Civile di Ivrea, Torino
Minerva Urol Nefrol 45:55-6. 1993..The method described is simple, rapid to perform, comfortable for the patients and most effective to prevent postoperative complications in patients undergoing a scrotal operation...
- [Pregnancy by micromanipulation in a case of excretory azoospermia associated with a natural spermatocele]C Wittemer
Departement de Fécondation in vitro, CMCO, Schiltigheim
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 22:467-70. 1993..In this particular case, a spermatocele detected five years ago was observed, which provide motile spermatozoa...
- Effect of spermatocele fluid on growth of human prostatic cells in cultureD M Sutkowski
Department of Urology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611
J Androl 14:233-9. 1993The present study was carried out to investigate whether testicular fluid derived from a spermatocele contains substance(s) that promote the growth of human prostatic cells in culture...
- [Bilateral spermatocele developed after vasectomy: a case report]H Mizoguchi
Department of Urology, Oita Medical University, Japan
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 85:1567-70. 1994A rare case of bilateral spermatocele developed 17 years after vasectomy was presented. A forty-seven year old man visited to our hospital with a chief complaint of swelling of bilateral intrascrotal contents...
- Epithelial monolayers from human epididymal and efferent duct tubules; testosterone metabolism and effects of culture conditions on cell height and confluenceS Raczek
Institute of Reproductive Medicine of the University, Munster, Germany
Epithelial Cell Biol 3:126-36. 1994..New serum-free media (especially those designed for keratinocytes and mammary epithelial cells) could maintain cultured cells at heights found in situ...
- Metallothionein in human seminal plasmaT Suzuki
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Gunma University, Maebashi, Japan
Int J Urol 1:345-8. 1994..concentrations were measured in the seminal plasma of 4 fertile and 35 infertile men and in the hydrocele and spermatocele fluids...
- [A case of bilateral spermatocele]T Mizuo
Department of Urology, Tokyo Rosai Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 34:1253-5. 1988A case of bilateral spermatocele is reported. A 46-year-old man was admitted to our hospital complaining of bilateral scrotal swelling. We obtained a colorless, opalescent fluid which contained numerous spermatozoa...
- New directions in male reproductive microsurgeryB R Gilbert
Division of Urology, New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center, NY 10021
Microsurgery 9:281-5. 1988..In this paper, we discuss some of the new directions in male reproductive microsurgery...
- Caudal view. Aid in testicular scanningA J Krubsack
Department of Radiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Clin Nucl Med 12:614-6. 1987..A false-positive scan for testicular torsion can be obtained in a scrotal scan when either a hernia or hydrocele overlies the testicle. The case of a patient in whom a false-positive scan was avoided by the use of a caudal view is reported...
- Diagnostic value of scrotal sonography in infertile men: report on 658 casesD Nashan
Institute of Reproductive Medicine of the University, Max Planck Clinical Research Unit for Reproductive Medicine, Münster Germany
Andrologia 22:387-95. 1990..One testicular tumour and one case with CIS were only seen by sonography and not suspected on palpation. The results demonstrate that sonography represents a valuable tool in the routine diagnosis of andrological patients...
- [Tetracycline sclerotherapy of hydroceles and spermatoceles]K K Ovrebø
Kirurgisk avdeling, Sentralsjukehuset i Sogn og Fjordane, Førde
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 111:3171-3. 1991..The treatment is given as an outpatient procedure at 1/10 of the cost of traditional operative treatment, and with comparable results...
- Ethanolamine oleate sclerotherapy for hydroceles and spermatoceles: a survey of 158 patients with ultrasound followupT L Tammela
Division of Urology, Oulu University Central Hospital, Finland
J Urol 147:1551-3. 1992..No hydroceles recurred during an average followup of 43 months, whereas spermatocele recurred in 4 patients more than 1 year after successful treatment, with a mean followup of 46 months...
- [Calcified spermatocele simulating a neoplasm]M Medina Perez
Servicio de Anatomia Patologica, Hospital de la Merced, Osuna, Sevilla, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 51:725-6. 1998To report a case of a spermatocele mimicking a paratesticular neoplasm.
- Degeneration of the seminiferous epithelium with ageing is a cause of spermatoceles?M Itoh
Department of Anatomy, Kagawa Medical University, Japan
Int J Androl 22:91-6. 1999A spermatocele refers to the cystic accumulation of semen in the male reproductive tract...
- Spermatic granuloma in the ram: diagnosis by ultrasonography and semen characteristicsF Karaca
Department of Reproduction and Artificial Insemination, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Selcuk, Konya, Turkey
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 40:402-6. 1999..Seminal characteristics varied between rams. It was concluded that ultrasonographic evaluation may give valuable information in the diagnosis of sperm granuloma in the ram...
- Clinical and pathological findings in testis, epididymis, deferens duct and prostate following vasectomy in a dogC C Pérez-Marín
Department of Medicina y Cirugia Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Cordoba, Campus Universitario de Rabanales, Ctra Madrid Cádiz km, Cordoba, Spain
Reprod Domest Anim 41:169-74. 2006We report the case of a bilateral and multilocular spermatocele and sperm granuloma in a dog that was vasectomized 5 years before. Clinical examination revealed scrotal dermatitis and benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Expression of SLC26A3, CFTR and NHE3 in the human male reproductive tract: role in male subfertility caused by congenital chloride diarrhoeaS Hihnala
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Department of Medical Genetics, University of Helsinki, Finland
Mol Hum Reprod 12:107-11. 2006..Tissue-specific co-expression with CFTR and NHE3 supports diverse functions of SLC26A3 and may have an impact on pathophysiology of male subfertility both in CLD and in cystic fibrosis (CF), as well as spermatoceles...
- Ectopic prostate tissue within the processus vaginalis: insights into prostate embryogenesisChristine A VanBeek
Department of Pathology, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 8:379-85. 2005..The mass consisted of prostate tissue, including glands and fibromuscular stroma, communicating with a spermatocele. Strong immunostaining for prostate-specific antigen was seen in the glandular epithelium...
- Retrovesical rare tumor: the schistosomial spermatocystM El Ouakdi
Hopital Charles Nicolle, Service d Urologie, Tunisie
Acta Chir Belg 89:224-6. 1989..The diagnosis of schistosomial spermatocyst was made by histopathology. The authors underline the difficulty of the topographic diagnosis in large retrovesical masses...
- Retrieval and cryopreservation of sperm from spermatocele fluidM A Fischer
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Urology 61:417-20. 2003..Assisted reproductive technologies have led to successful pregnancies and deliveries using sperm harvested from the epididymis and/or testis of infertile men...
- What causes a spermatocele, and how is it usually removed?Glenn S Gerber
Health News 10:16. 2004
- [Ultrasound of the scrotum]G Stuckmann
Institut fur Radiologie, Kantonsspital Winterthur
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:709-20. 2006..In cases of acute scrotum or of vascular and inflammatory lesions, Doppler ultrasound is mandatory. This article gives a systematical survey of the most frequent scrotal lesions and their appearance in ultrasound...
- Pronounced cystic transformation of the Rete testis. MRI appearanceD R Meyer
Department of Radiology, Academic Teaching Hospitals, Free University of Berlin, Germany
Invest Radiol 34:600-3. 1999..The authors present two pronounced cases in different stages, documenting the broad spectrum of possible involvement...
- Percutaneous aspiration and sclerotherapy for treatment of spermatocelesD T Beiko
Department of Urology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Urol 166:137-9. 2001..We report on our prospective study of percutaneous aspiration and sclerotherapy with sodium tetradecyl sulfate for treatment of spermatoceles to determine safety, efficacy and cost-effectiveness...
- Semen characteristics after vasectomy in the ramF Janett
Department of Reproduction, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Theriogenology 56:485-91. 2001..On post mortem examination 5 months after surgery, spermatocele formation and multiple sperm granulomas were present in all five rams...
- Benign intratesticular cystic lesions: US featuresV S Dogra
Department of Radiology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Radiographics 21:S273-81. 2001..An abnormal rind of parenchyma with increased echogenicity usually surrounds these lesions. An intratesticular spermatocele communicates with the seminiferous tubules, whereas simple ectasia of the rete testis does not do so directly...
- [Primary epididymal tumors]B Pan
Department of Urology, First Hospital of Beijing Medical Universiy, Beijing 100034
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 36:138-40. 1998..RESULT: Epididymal tumors might be easily misdiagnosed as epididymal tuberculosis, chronic epididymis and spermatocele. Apart from certain benign clinical characteristics, benign epididymal tumors could be diagnosed by B-..
- Pro-inflammatory cytokine response of the fluid contents of spermatoceles and epididymal cystsI Kocak
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Adnan Menderes University, Aydin Turkey
Andrologia 34:112-5. 2002..6 (IL-6), interleukin 8 (IL-8) and tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) in fluids of patients with spermatocele or epididymal cyst...
- Efficacy of microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration (MESA) and intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) in obstructive azoospermiaI P Son
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cheil General Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Assist Reprod Genet 13:69-72. 1996....
- Case 4: Scrotal sonogram in patient with Klinefelter syndromeJon W Meilstrup
Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey PA, USA
Ultrasound Q 23:73-5. 2007
- [Spermatocele associated with cholesterol crystals]Norihito Soga
Department of Urology, Kinan Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 49:229-30. 2003A 53-year old man first recognized swelling of the left scrotum five years ago. Ultrasound examination revealed spermatocele, consisted of two layers, fluid area and hyperechoic sediment...
- [Magnetic resonance tomography (MRT) of the scrotum--initial results and comparison with sonography. I: Normal anatomy and extratesticular pathology]P C Hajek
MRI Institute, University of California, San Diego
Radiologe 27:522-8. 1987..For the assessment of extratesticular pathology, MRI has advantages over other imaging techniques - including sonography - since the delineation of pathologic changes is much clearer...
- A case of neonatal testicular torsionC Y Wong
Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hosp Med 66:368-9. 2005
- Aspiration cytology of palpable lesions of the scrotal contentM Perez-Guillermo
Department of Pathology, Murcia Medical School, Murcia, Spain
Diagn Cytopathol 6:169-77. 1990..We believe FNAC to be the technique of choice for the study of the pathology of the scrotal content, and we think that it should be employed on the patient's very first visit. The main advantage of FNAC is avoiding delays in diagnosis...
- Benign intrascrotal lesionsRonald A Rubenstein
Department of Urology, Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Urol 171:1765-72. 2004..This review provides the reader with a better understanding of benign lesions that occur in the scrotum...
- A population based assessment of complications following outpatient hydrocelectomy and spermatocelectomyDarcie A Kiddoo
Division of Urology, Roayl Alexandra Hospital, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
J Urol 171:746-8. 2004..We determine the incidence of complications following outpatient scrotal surgery for the treatment of hydroceles and spermatoceles...