Genomes and Genes
Summary: Persistent abnormal erection of the penis, usually without sexual desire, and accompanied by pain and tenderness. It is seen in diseases and injuries of the spinal cord, and may be caused by vesical calculus and certain injuries to the penis. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications280 found, 100 shown here
- Recurrent priapism related to oxaliplatin infusionAntoine Adenis
J Clin Oncol 26:1016-7. 2008
- Priapism: pathogenesis, epidemiology, and managementGregory A Broderick
Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
J Sex Med 7:476-500. 2010b>Priapism describes a persistent erection arising from dysfunction of mechanisms regulating penile tumescence, rigidity, and flaccidity...
- Lactate dehydrogenase as a biomarker of hemolysis-associated nitric oxide resistance, priapism, leg ulceration, pulmonary hypertension, and death in patients with sickle cell diseaseGregory J Kato
Vascular Medicine Branch, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Dr, MSC 1476, Bldg 10CRC, Rm 5 5140, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 107:2279-85. 2006..this simple biomarker was associated with a clinical subphenotype of pulmonary hypertension, leg ulceration, priapism, and risk of death in patients with sickle cell disease...
- Incidence of priapism in the general populationI A Eland
Pharmaco-epidemiology Unit, Departments of Internal Medicine and Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Urology 57:970-2. 2001OBJECTIVES: To assess the incidence of priapism in the general population. METHODS: We conducted a population-based retrospective cohort study within a general practitioners research database...
- Refractory priapism associated with ingestion of yohimbe extractAmy Myers
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Med Toxicol 5:223-5. 2009..In this report, we describe a severe case of intractable priapism associated with the ingestion of yohimbe extract...
- Priapism associated with conventional and atypical antipsychotic medications: a reviewM T Compton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30306, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:362-6. 2001BACKGROUND: Priapism is a prolonged, usually painful, and persistent penile erection not usually associated with sexual stimuli, resulting from a disturbance in the normal regulatory mechanisms that initiate and maintain penile flaccidity...
- Establishment of a transgenic sickle-cell mouse model to study the pathophysiology of priapismTrinity J Bivalacqua
The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Sex Med 6:2494-504. 2009b>Priapism is a poorly understood disease process with little information on the etiology and pathophysiology of this erectile disorder. One group of patients with a high prevalence of priapism is men with sickle-cell disease.
- The actual incidence of papaverine-induced priapism in patients with erectile dysfunction following penile colour Doppler ultrasonographyM Kilic
Department of First Urology, Ataturk Teaching and Research Hospital, Bilkent, Ankara, Turkey
Andrologia 42:1-4. 2010..concerns about the safety of this method due to the intracorporeal pharmacological injection, which may cause priapism as a complication, resulting in penile fibrosis...
- [Stuttering priapism in children with sickle cell anemia in Togo]A D Gbadoe
Service de Pediatrie, hôpital CHU Tokoin, Universite de Lome, BP 8881, Lome, Togo
Arch Pediatr 14:861-3. 2007To describe clinical aspects and outcome of stuttering priapism (SP) in children with sickle cell anemia.
- Reperfusion of ischemic corporal tissue: physiologic and biochemical changes in an animal model of ischemic priapismRicardo Munarriz
Department of Urology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Urology 62:760-4. 2003..Effective therapy for ischemic priapism reestablishes corporal venous outflow and arterial inflow and results in increased corporal partial pressure of ..
- Testosterone replacement therapy does not promote priapism in hypogonadal men with sickle cell disease: 12-month safety reportB F Morrison
Department of Surgery, University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica
Andrology 1:576-82. 2013..The safety of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in SCD in relation to priapism episodes is relatively unknown...
- Pathophysiology of priapism: dysregulatory erection physiology thesisArthur L Burnett
Department of Urology, James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 North Wolfe Street, Marburg 407, Baltimore, MD 21287 2411, USA
J Urol 170:26-34. 2003While a modest amount of medical literature has been written on the topic of priapism, reports heretofore have focused predominantly on diagnostic and management related aspects of the disorder, providing meager information in regard to ..
- Intracavernous papaverine/phentolamine-induced priapism can be accurately predicted with color Doppler ultrasonographyBahgat Metawea
Andrology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases Department, Cairo University Hospital, Cairo, Egypt
Urology 66:858-60. 2005To determine the value of penile duplex ultrasonography in predicting the occurrence of intracavernous drug-induced ischemic priapism directly after the rigid erection phase.
- Investigation of cavernosal smooth muscle dysfunction in low flow priapism using an in vitro modelA Muneer
The St Peter s Andrology Centre, University College London, London, UK
Int J Impot Res 17:10-8. 2005..acidosis and glucopenia, failure of conventional alpha-adrenergic agonists to produce tumescence in low flow priapism is associated with irreversible smooth muscle cell dysfunction, which is linked to ATP reduction and smooth ..
- Adenosine deaminase enzyme therapy prevents and reverses the heightened cavernosal relaxation in priapismJiaming Wen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Sex Med 7:3011-22. 2010b>Priapism featured with painful prolonged penile erection is dangerous and commonly seen in sickle cell disease (SCD)...
- Priapism associated with olanzapineS H Hosseini
Department of Psychiatry, Behavioral Science and Psychiatric Research Center, Zare Psychiatry Hospital, Mazandaran Medical Sciences University, K M5 Sari Neka High Way, Sari, Mazandaran, Post Cod 48171 19164, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 12:198-200. 2009b>Priapism is a rare but serious adverse effect of psychotropic drugs where antipsychotic agents were implicated in 15 to 26% of priapism associated with medications...
- The incidence of pharmacologically induced priapism in the diagnostic and therapeutic management of 685 men with erectile dysfunctionP Perimenis
Department of Urology, Medical School, University of Patras, Greece
Urol Int 66:27-9. 2001OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the incidence of pharmacologically induced priapism in the diagnostic and therapeutic management of erectile dysfunction...
- PriapismHossein Sadeghi-Nejad
Division of Ultrasound, Department of Radiology, Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 42:427-43. 2004b>Priapism is a relatively uncommon condition that may present as a medical emergency associated with significant pain and anxiety in the veno-occlusive or low-flow variant...
- Structural analysis of the corpora cavernosa in patients with ischaemic priapismWaldemar S Costa
State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BJU Int 105:838-41; discussion 841. 2010..Therapy (case series)...
- Testosterone replacement with 1% testosterone gel and priapism: no definite risk relationshipArthur L Burnett
James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287 2101, USA
J Sex Med 10:1151-61. 2013..Although testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is the preferred treatment for hypogonadism, information for patients using testosterone includes too frequent or prolonged erections as a potential side effect...
- Priapism in sickle-cell disease; incidence, risk factors and complications - an international multicentre studyA B Adeyoju
Department of Urology, Royal Bolton Hospital, Bolton, UK
BJU Int 90:898-902. 2002To define the incidence, risk factors and complications of priapism in a large population of patients with sickle-cell anaemia in five centres in the UK and Nigeria, as priapism is common among these patients, but the precise ..
- Priapism: new concepts in the pathophysiology and new treatment strategiesTrinity J Bivalacqua
Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Curr Urol Rep 7:497-502. 2006b>Priapism is defined as prolonged and persistent erection of the penis without sexual stimulation. This is a poorly understood disease process, and we have little information on the etiology and pathophysiology of this erectile disorder...
- Stuttering priapism: insights into pathogenesis and managementBelinda F Morrison
Department of Surgery, University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica
Curr Urol Rep 13:268-76. 2012b>Priapism is defined as a persistent, painful erection that continues beyond, or is unrelated to, sexual stimulation. It may be categorized as either ischemic (low/absent flow) or nonischemic (high flow)...
- In vitro and in vivo animal models in priapism researchQiang Dong
Department of Urology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
J Sex Med 8:347-59. 2011b>Priapism is an enigmatic yet devastating clinical phenomenon. In the last two decades, the use of various animal models to study this disorder has dramatically advanced our understanding of this mysterious disorder.
- Priapism from quetiapine overdose: first report and proposal of mechanismV M Pais
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Urology 58:462. 2001We report a case of priapism occurring after an overdose of the newly approved atypical antipsychotic quetiapine...
- Expression and activity of heme oxygenase-1 in artificially induced low-flow priapism in rat penile tissuesYong Chun Jin
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University Hospital, 90 Chilamdong, Jinju 660 702, South Korea
J Sex Med 5:1876-82. 2008..The inducible isoform of heme oxygenase (HO)-1 regulates the vascular smooth muscle tone and responds to hypoxia...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency associated stuttering priapism: report of a caseDavid S Finley
UC Irvine Department of Urology, Orange, CA 92868, USA
J Sex Med 5:2963-6. 2008Stuttering priapism is an uncommon form of recurrent priapism whose etiology if often unknown. To date, there has been one report of a patient with stuttering priapism and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency...
- TGF-beta1 neutralizing antibodies decrease the fibrotic effects of ischemic priapismO Sanli
Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Impot Res 16:492-7. 2004..role of transforming growth factor beta 1 (TGF-beta1) antibodies (ab) for the prevention of fibrotic effects of priapism in a rat model. In total, 30 adult Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into five groups...
- Cocaine and ephedrine-induced priapism: case reports and investigation of potential adrenergic mechanismsRicardo Munarriz
Department of Urology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Urology 62:187-92. 2003..We also provide three case reports of patients who developed priapism secondary to using either cocaine or nonprescription weight loss formulations containing ephedrine...
- Priapism and sickle-cell anemia: diagnosis and nonsurgical therapyGregory A Broderick
Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic, FL 32224, USA
J Sex Med 9:88-103. 2012b>Priapism describes a persistent erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Ischemic priapism and stuttering priapism are phenotypic manifestations of sickle-cell disease (SCD).
- Recurrent priapism during treatment with clozapine, quetiapine and haloperidolHygiea Casiano
J Psychopharmacol 21:898-9. 2007The following is a letter to the editor that represents a case of recurrent priapism. The patient received clozapine, quetiapine and haloperidol and had the adverse reaction of priapism, one episode of which required surgical intervention...
- An animal model of ischemic priapism and the effects of melatonin on antioxidant enzymes and oxidative injury parameters in rat penisNihat Uluocak
Department of Urology, Gaziosmanpasa University, Tokat, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 42:889-95. 2010..study was designed to produce ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) injury in rat corpus cavernosum by inducing 1 h of priapism and investigating the effects of melatonin on the levels of oxidative injury parameters...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency: an etiology for idiopathic priapism?Arthur L Burnett
Department of Urology, The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, The Johns Hopkins Hospital and The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Sex Med 5:237-40. 2008Efforts to identify the health risk associations for priapism may reveal pathophysiologic mechanisms for the disorder and suggest a scientifically rational approach for correcting it.
- Medical management of ischemic stuttering priapism: a contemporary review of the literatureHelen R Levey
The Arthur Smith Institute for Urology, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, New Hyde Park, NY 11010, USA
Asian J Androl 14:156-63. 2012b>Priapism is defined as a prolonged and persistent erection of the penis without sexual stimulation. This is a poorly understood disease process with little information on the pathophysiology of this erectile disorder...
- Priapism associated with antipsychotics: role of alpha1 adrenoceptor affinityFrank Andersohn
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charite University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 30:68-71. 2010Case reports indicate that antipsychotics can cause priapism, a persistent penile erection possibly leading to erectile dysfunction...
- Report of the American Foundation for Urologic Disease (AFUD) Thought Leader Panel for evaluation and treatment of priapismR Berger
Department of Urology, Boston University School of Medicine, MA 02118, USA
Int J Impot Res 13:S39-43. 2001PURPOSE: Patients with priapism often develop permanent erectile dysfunction and personal sexual distress...
- PriapismRegina M du Toit
Can J Psychiatry 49:868-9. 2004
- 38-year-old man with priapism and a history of paranoid schizophreniaAxel Pflueger
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:111-4. 2005
- A prospective diary study of stuttering priapism in adolescents and young men with sickle cell anemia: report of an international randomized control trial--the priapism in sickle cell studyAde B Olujohungbe
University Hospital Aintree, National Health Service Foundation Trust, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Androl 32:375-82. 2011b>Priapism is defined as a prolonged, persistent, and purposeless penile erection. It is a common (35%) but frequently understated complication in young men and adults with sickle cell disease...
- Materials in embolotherapy of high-flow priapism: results and long-term follow-upMehmet Halil Oztürk
Department of Radiology, Karadeniz Technical University School of Medicine, Trabzon, Turkey
Diagn Interv Radiol 15:215-20. 2009To review our experience with embolic materials used in the selective arterial embolization of high-flow priapism and present the results of long-term follow-up.
- New insights into the pathophysiology of sickle cell disease-associated priapismTrinity J Bivalacqua
Department of Urology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Marburg, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Sex Med 9:79-87. 2012b>Priapism is defined as an erectile disorder, in which erection persists uncontrollably without sexual purpose. The precise mechanisms involved in the development of sickle cell disease-associated priapism are ill defined.
- Priapism associated with routine use of quetiapine: case report and review of the literaturePatrick Davol
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, Pennsylvania 17822, USA
Urology 66:880. 2005We report a case of priapism occurring in a patient taking a standard daily dose of the atypical antipsychotic quetiapine (Seroquel)...
- Evaluation and management of priapism: 2009 updateYun Ching Huang
Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Nat Rev Urol 6:262-71. 2009b>Priapism is defined as a persistent penile erection (typically 4 h or longer) that is unrelated to sexual stimulation. Priapism can be classified as either ischemic or nonischemic...
- Corporal "snake" maneuver: corporoglanular shunt surgical modification for ischemic priapismArthur L Burnett
Department of Urology, The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287 2411, USA
J Sex Med 6:1171-6. 2009Current surgical shunting procedures for major ischemic priapism do not always effectively resolve acute presentations of this disorder.
- Novel technique in the management of low flow priapismSteve Y Chung
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 3471 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Urol 170:1952. 2003
- Priapism associated with trazodone in an adolescent with autismDeborah L Kem
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:758. 2002
- Follow-up of sickle cell disease patients with priapism treated by hydroxyureaSara T O Saad
Hematology and Hemotherapy Center of the State University of Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Hematol 77:45-9. 2004..b>Priapism is one of the complications that could be prevented by hydroxyurea, but there are few reports demonstrating the ..
- Experimental priapism is associated with increased oxidative stress and activation of protein degradation pathways in corporal tissueN D Kanika
Department of Urology, Institute of Smooth Muscle Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Int J Impot Res 22:363-73. 2010b>Priapism is a debilitating disease for which there is at present no clinically accepted pharmacological intervention. It has been estimated that priapism lasting more than 24 h in patients is associated with a 44-90% rate of ED...
- Feasibility of the use of phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors in a pharmacologic prevention program for recurrent priapismArthur L Burnett
Johns Hopkins University Urology, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Sex Med 3:1077-84. 2006Recurrent ischemic priapism is an enigmatic erectile disorder in need of improved clinical interventions to avert its known, potentially serious complications.
- Distal cavernosum-glans shunts for ischemic priapismTom F Lue
Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Sex Med 3:749-52. 2006
- T-shaped shunt and intracavernous tunneling for prolonged ischemic priapismWilliam O Brant
Northstar Urology, Vail, Colorado
J Urol 181:1699-705. 2009Conservative management of prolonged ischemic priapism is rarely effective. Interventions include corporal aspiration/irrigation, injection of vasoconstrictive agents or surgical procedures...
- Priapism associated with the switch from oral to injectable risperidoneAlla Kirshner
Department of Psychiatry, University of Manitoba, Canada
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:626-8. 2006b>Priapism is a rare, but serious, side effect of psychotropic medications. Psychotropic medication-induced priapism is believed to be caused by the alpha-adrenergic antagonism of these medications...
- Priapism and quetiapine in an HIV-positive maleGeorge Harrison
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:100-1. 2006
- Changing diagnostic and therapeutic concepts in high-flow priapismR Kuefer
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Int J Impot Res 17:109-13. 2005High-flow priapism (HFP) is defined as pathological increased arterial influx into the cavernosal bodies. Since 1960, 202 cases have been published in the literature...
- Management of ischemic priapism with high-dose intracavernosal phenylephrine: from bench to bedsideRicardo Munarriz
Department of Urology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Sex Med 3:918-22. 2006Ischemic priapism is associated with cavernosal acidosis, which decreases the efficacy of adrenergic agonists...
- Sickle cell disease status and outcomes of African-American men presenting with priapismNelson Bennett
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Urology, New York, NY, USA
J Sex Med 5:1244-50. 2008b>Priapism is associated with sickle cell disease (SSD); however, few men receive education about this condition, which contributes to attenuated return of functional erections.
- Treatment of recurrent priapism in sickle cell anemia with finasteride: a new approachDaibes Rachid-Filho
Souza Aguiar Municipal Hospital, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Urology 74:1054-7. 2009To determine whether the use of finasteride controls recurrent priapism in patients with sickle cell anemia.
- [Embolization of the bilateral internal pudendal arteries for intractable priapism in a child with chronic myelogenous leukemia]K Murayama
Department of Pediatrics, Saitama Medical School
Rinsho Ketsueki 42:1117-21. 2001b>Priapism is an uncommon clinical symptom in children with chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). Here we report a 14-year-old boy with this symptom, which had appeared 4 days prior to hospitalization...
- The mechanism of opiorphin-induced experimental priapism in rats involves activation of the polyamine synthetic pathwayNirmala Devi Kanika
Department of Urology and Institute of Smooth Muscle Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 297:C916-27. 2009..when added to the drinking water of animals treated with plasmids expressing opiorphins, prevented experimental priapism. We also demonstrate that in sickle cell mice, another model of priapism, there is increased expression of the ..
- Phosphodiesterase-5A dysregulation in penile erectile tissue is a mechanism of priapismHunter C Champion
Department of Cardiology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:1661-6. 2005The molecular mechanism for priapism is not well characterized...
- The aetiology, pathogenesis and management of priapismS R Keoghane
Department of Urology, Northampton General Hospital, Cliftonville, UK
BJU Int 90:149-54. 2002
- Priapism associated with atypical antipsychotic medications: a reviewShabnam Sood
Department of Psychiatry, Maricopa Integrated Health System, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 23:9-17. 2008b>Priapism defined as persistent, painful and prolonged penile erection, was previously thought to be associated only with the use of the older, conventional first generation or typical antipsychotic medications as well as some other ..
- Increased cavernosal relaxations in sickle cell mice priapism are associated with alterations in the NO-cGMP signaling pathwayMário Angelo Claudino
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medical Sciences University of Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Sex Med 6:2187-96. 2009b>Priapism is defined as prolonged and persistent penile erection, unassociated with sexual interest or stimulation, and is one of the many serious complications associated with sickle cell disease (SCD).
- Priapism in sickle-cell disease: a hematologist's perspectiveGregory J Kato
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health Sickle Cell Vascular Disease Section, Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Branch, Bethesda, MD 20892 1476, USA
J Sex Med 9:70-8. 2012b>Priapism is a familiar problem to hematologists, well known for its association with sickle-cell disease (SCD)...
- PriapismJohn Pryor
Institute of Urology, London University, London, UK
J Sex Med 1:116-20. 2004There are three different types of priapism: low-flow, ischemic, anoxic or veno-occlusive priapism; high-flow, arterial or nonischemic priapism; and recurrent or stuttering priapism.
- Increased adenosine contributes to penile fibrosis, a dangerous feature of priapism, via A2B adenosine receptor signalingJiaming Wen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Houston Medical School, 6431 Fannin St, MSB 6 200, Houston, TX 77030, USA
FASEB J 24:740-9. 2010b>Priapism is a condition of persistent penile erection in the absence of sexual excitation. Of men with sickle cell disease (SCD), 40% display priapism...
- Priapism in southwestern NigeriaT A Badmus
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Clinical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
East Afr Med J 80:518-24. 2003To determine the aetiology, pattern of presentation, treatment regimen and outcome of management of priapism in our environment and to compare our findings with previous studies in this country and elsewhere.
- Etilefrine for the prevention of priapism in adult sickle cell diseaseIheanyi Okpala
Department of Haematology, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Br J Haematol 118:918-21. 2002b>Priapism is a common complication of sickle cell disease (SCD) that could lead to erectile dysfunction and psychosocial problems. Treatment of established fulminant priapism is usually not satisfactory...
- The incidence and management of priapism in Western Australia: a 16 year auditC M Earle
Keogh Institute for Medical Research, QEII Medical Centre, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Int J Impot Res 15:272-6. 2003The objective of the study was to conduct a retrospective audit of patients who presented with priapism in Western Australia during the years 1985-2000...
- Priapism secondary to hypertriglyceridemiaRobert E Gerstenbluth
Department of Urology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, Ohio, USA
J Urol 169:1088. 2003
- Priapism and penile gangrene due to thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpuraBenjamin Kwok
Nepean Private Hospital, Kingswood NSW
Urology 75:71-2. 2010A 51-year-old man presented with 4 days of idiopathic ischemic priapism. Partial detumescence was achieved with aspiration and injection with intracorporeal adrenaline...
- Management of ischemic priapism by penile prosthesis insertion: prevention of distal erosionEmad A Salem
Urology and Dermatology OEA Departments, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt
J Urol 183:2300-3. 2010Refractory ischemic priapism results in cavernous smooth muscle necrosis, fibrosis and eventual penile shortening...
- Preventive treatment of priapism in sickle cell disease with oral and self-administered intracavernous injection of etilefrineR Virag
Centre d Explorations et de Traitements de l Impuissance, Paris, France
Urology 47:777-81; discussion 781. 1996b>Priapism is a common and currently unsatisfactorily managed complication of sickle cell disease (SCD). In June 1994, 6 SCD patients received a new therapeutic regimen to prevent the occurrence and recurrence of priapism.
- Priapism associated with hemoglobin C traitBrent R Gibson
Department of Surgery, Urology Service, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington, USA
J Urol 168:2122. 2002
- Low-flow priapism: risk factors for erectile dysfunctionM S El-Bahnasawy
Department of Urology, Mansoura Urology and Nephrology Center, Mansoura, Egypt
BJU Int 89:285-90. 2002To evaluate our policy of managing priapism for the success rate of the treatments, potency afterward, complications, and the risk factors responsible for erectile dysfunction in these patients.
- The opiorphin gene (ProL1) and its homologues function in erectile physiologyYuehong Tong
Department of Urology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, NY 10461, USA
BJU Int 102:736-40. 2008....
- Tricorporal priapism in a patient with metastatic esophageal cancerCarlos R Estrada
Department of Urology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Urology 61:1259. 2003Tricorporal priapism refers to priapism involving the corpora cavernosa and spongiosum. It is exceedingly rare and, depending on the etiology, may be difficult or impossible to treat...
- Insights of priapism mechanism and rationale treatment for recurrent priapismJiuhong Yuan
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Asian J Androl 10:88-101. 2008b>Priapism is defined as abnormal prolonged penile erection occurring beyond or unrelated to sexual interest...
- Propofol-induced priapism, a case confirmed with rechallengeKimi S Vesta
Department of Pharmacy, Clinical and Administrative Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK 73190 5040, USA
Ann Pharmacother 40:980-2. 2006To report a case of propofol-induced priapism.
- Priapism: current principles and practiceArthur L Burnett
Department of Urology, The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Instituitions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Urol Clin North Am 34:631-42, viii. 2007b>Priapism, a pathologic condition of persistent penile erection in the absence of sexual excitation, is a true erectile disorder. Although it may seem to affect only a small population of male individuals, it carries major significance...
- Intermittent priapism in degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis: case reportTufan Cansever
Istanbul University, Neurosurgery Department, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 17:260-3. 2007..One of the uncommon symptoms is involuntary intermittent penile erection due to spinal canal stenosis. This symptom is very rare and often forgotten when history is taken...
- Stuttering priapism complicating warfarin therapy in a patient with protein C deficiencyR A H Abu Sham'a
Department of Internal Medicine and Cardiology, Makassed Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Int J Lab Hematol 30:339-43. 2008b>Priapism is a rare disorder defined as a persistent penile erection that continues hours beyond, or is unrelated to, sexual stimulation...
- Successful treatment of propofol-induced priapism with distal glans to corporal cavernosal shuntEnnio J Fuentes
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Complejo Hospitalario de Ourense, Orense, Spain
Urology 74:113-5. 2009We report a case of postoperative pediatric priapism in a boy without a hematologic disorder after a propofol-based general anesthetic...
- The investigation of putative agents, using an in vitro model, to prevent cavernosal smooth muscle dysfunction during low-flow priapismAsif Muneer
Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, University College London, Gower Street, London, UK
BJU Int 102:988-92. 2008..of putative agents for preventing irreversible smooth muscle dysfunction, using an in vitro model of low-flow priapism (a condition conventionally managed using a combination of corporal blood aspiration and instillation of alpha-..
- Long-term oral phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitor therapy alleviates recurrent priapismArthur L Burnett
Department of Urology, James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Urology 67:1043-8. 2006Recurrent ischemic priapism describes a disorder of repeated episodes of prolonged penile erection that frequently leads to devastating complications of erectile tissue damage and erectile dysfunction...
- Conservative management of priapism in acute spinal cord injuryS Alexis Gordon
Department of Urology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas 75390 9110, USA
Urology 65:1195-7. 2005To perform a retrospective chart review of priapism as a complication of spinal cord injury and review the management and follow-up...
- Hemolysis-associated priapism in sickle cell diseaseVikki G Nolan
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, MA, USA
Blood 106:3264-7. 2005b>Priapism, although uncommon in the general population, is one of the many serious complications associated with sickle cell disease (SCD)...
- Tadalafil-associated priapismStephen H King
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Urology 66:432. 2005..He had no other identified contributing factors for priapism. After confirmation of ischemic priapism and failure of bedside management in the Emergency Department, the ..
- Hematological parameters in sickle cell anemia patients with and without priapismSagir G Ahmed
Department of Haematology, College of Medical Sciences, Universtiy of Maiduguri, Borneo State, Nigeria
Ann Saudi Med 26:439-43. 2006b>Priapism was associated with certain hematological parameters in sickle cell anemia (SCA) patients in one report but not in another. We studied differences in haematological parameters between SCA patients with and without priapism.
- Priapism in sickle cell diseaseZora R Rogers
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9063, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 19:917-28, viii. 2005b>Priapism, an unwanted painful erection of the penis, is a little discussed but common complication of sickle cell disease...
- Genetic polymorphisms associated with priapism in sickle cell diseaseLaine Elliott
Department of Medicine, Duke University and VA Medical Centers, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Br J Haematol 137:262-7. 2007b>Priapism occurs in 30-45% of male patients with sickle cell disease (SCD), but the possible influence of genetic risk factors on the incidence of priapism is not well understood...
- Medical and surgical management of priapismJ Cherian
Department of Urology, Bradford Royal Infirmary, Bradford, UK
Postgrad Med J 82:89-94. 2006b>Priapism is a pathological condition of penile erection that persists beyond, or is unrelated to, sexual stimulation...
- Successful management of stuttering priapism using home self-injections of the alpha-agonist metaraminolMichael McDonald
Division of Urology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Int Braz J Urol 30:121-2. 2004Low-flow priapism can result in impotence if treatment is delayed, yet patients with recurrent priapism often suffer delay before therapy...
- Posttraumatic nonischemic priapism treated with autologous blood clot embolizationFuruzan Numan
Department of Radiology, Division of Interventional Radiology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Sex Med 5:173-9. 2008High-flow arterial priapism is rare and characterized by a prolonged nonpainful erection. Autologous clot embolization allows complete resolution of the problem in most of the cases.
- [A report of two cases of priapism with metastatic penile tumor]Takayuki Hattori
Department of Urology, Chubu Rosai Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 93:568-72. 2002We report two cases of priapism with metastases to the penis. The first case was a 52-year old man, diagnosed as suffering from gastric cancer by endoscopic biopsy five years previously, but for whom no treatment was performed...
- [Pediatric priapism associated with pulmonary infection]H Sibai
Service de Chirurgie Viscerale Pediatrique, Hôpital d Enfants, CH Ibn Rochd, Casablanca, Maroc
Ann Urol (Paris) 37:143-5. 2003b>Priapism is a rare urologic emergency in pediatric population. It is usually a consequence of sickle cell disease. Leukemia is another important cause of priapism in children...
- Fabry disease and G6PD in three family members with priapism: is the nitric oxide pathway to blame?Rebecca Backenroth
Department of Nephrology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
J Sex Med 7:1588-91. 2010....
- American Urological Association guideline on the management of priapismDrogo K Montague
J Urol 170:1318-24. 2003
- Up and down-regulation of phosphodiesterase-5 as related to tachyphylaxis and priapismGuiting Lin
Department of Urology, Knuppe Molecular Urology Laboratory, University of California School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA 94143 1695, USA
J Urol 170:S15-8; discussion S19. 2003We identify whether tachyphylaxis and priapism effects of sildenafil are related to regulation of phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE-5) expression.
- Sildenafil relieves priapism in patients with sickle cell diseaseEldad S Bialecki
Am J Med 113:252. 2002
- Malignant priapism secondary to bladder cancerSezgin Guvel
Departments of Urology and Nephrology, Baskent University Medical School, Adana Clinic and Research Center, Adana, Turkey
J Androl 24:499-500. 2003
- Roles of RhoA/Rho-kinase Signaling in Cavernous Neurons Following Axonal InjuryTRINITY JUDE BIVALACQUA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Foundation to study the pathophysiology of endothelial cell dysfunction in sickle cell disease-associated priapism. During my residency and post-doctoral fellowship, I gained invaluable experience in both clinical and basic ..
- The Role of Vsca1 in Erectile FunctionKelvin P Davies; Fiscal Year: 2010..of plasmids expressing Vcsal increased erectile function in ageing rats and higher amounts of plasmid caused priapism, suggesting a direct role of the Vcsal gene in erectile physiology...
- Involvement of opiorphins and polyamine synthesis in the development of priapismKelvin P Davies; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Priapism is a disease which affects several thousand men in the US and millions worldwide, for which there is no pharmacological treatment...
- Adenosine Signaling, Priapism and Sickle Cell DiseaseYang Xia; Fiscal Year: 2012PROJECT SUMMARY/ABSTRACT Priapism is defined as prolonged penile erection occurring unassociated with sexual interest. 40% of male sickle cell disease (SCD) patients display priapism...
- Vitamin B6, Vascular Dysfunction and Adhesion Molecules in Sickle Cell DiseaseRalph Green; Fiscal Year: 2010..disease (SCD) is characterized by acute clinical manifestations, including painful crisis, acute chest syndrome, priapism, and stroke, as well as chronic irreversible damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, eyes, spleen and femoral heads...
- Androgen Regulation of Priapism in Sickle Cell DiseaseArthur Louis Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Priapism is a disorder of non-willful, excessive penile erection recurrences affecting diverse populations...
- NOS Regulation in the PenisArthur Louis Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Disorders of penile erection, which includes male erectile dysfunction, recurrent ischemic priapism and penile fibrosis, remain vexatious clinical management conditions and are addressed with limited effective ..
- EFFECT OF CASTRATION+/-ESTROGEN ON THE CORPUS CAVERNOSUMGregory Broderick; Fiscal Year: 1993..A second important clinical problem involves priapism (prolonged erection)...
- 2008 AUA/SBUR Summer Research ConferenceArthur Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NITRIC OXIDE REGULATORY SYSTEM IN THE PENISArthur Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Actions of Immunophilins in Penile Nerve FunctionArthur Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2007..The experimental work described herein combines molecular biologic, erection physiologic, and morphologic studies. ..
- Genome-Wide Association Studies in Sickle Cell Anemia and in CentenariansMartin H Steinberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..compare associations with clinical features of HbSS including blood pressure, survival, stroke, osteonecrosis, priapism, leg ulcers and an integrated measure of disease severity and also selected laboratory measurements including ..
- Genetic Modulation of Sickle Cell DiseaseMartin H Steinberg; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Determinants of HbF Response to HydroxyureaMartin Steinberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..5 cM resolution. We hope ultimately to discover SNPs, haplotypes or genes that predict or modulate the HbF response to hydroxyurea and better define HbF regulation in sickle cell anemia. ..
- Posttranslational Regulation of eNOS by Estrogen in the Vagina and ClitorisBiljana Musicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the same time it may advance treatments for multiple disease states associated with endothelial dysfunction and alterations in hormonal milieu. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGULATION OF THE ERYTHROPOIETIN GENEH Bunn; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies should provide unique and highly relevant information about common mechanisms of oxygen sensing, signal transduction and gene regulation that enable organisms to adapt to hypoxia. ..
- Androgen Receptor in Prostate Cancer and BoneChawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2005..The success of this proposal will allow a better understanding of the role of androgen in the metastatic spread of prostate cancer to bone and the molecular mechanism of bone remodeling by prostate cancer cells. ..
- OXYGEN SENSING AND SIGNAL TRANSDUCTIONH Bunn; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Homocysteine/Hypertension & Vascular Lesion FormationPeter Lin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- eNOS-Protein Interaction in the PenisBiljana Musicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the same time, it may suggest a specific eNOS regulatory pathway as a possible new molecular target for treating ED. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..