Genomes and Genes
periodontal attachment loss
Summary: Loss or destruction of periodontal tissue caused by periodontitis or other destructive periodontal diseases or by injury during instrumentation. Attachment refers to the periodontal ligament which attaches to the alveolar bone. It has been hypothesized that treatment of the underlying periodontal disease and the seeding of periodontal ligament cells enable the creating of new attachment.
Publications229 found, 100 shown here
- Periodontal attachment loss in an urban population of Brazilian adults: effect of demographic, behavioral, and environmental risk indicatorsCristiano Susin
Department of Periodontology, Temple University School of Dentistry, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
J Periodontol 75:1033-41. 2004..This study describes the clinical attachment loss (CAL) in an adult Brazilian population and performs a risk assessment of demographic, behavioral, and environmental exposures...
- Destructive periodontal disease in adults 30 years of age and older in the United States, 1988-1994J M Albandar
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Periodontol 70:13-29. 1999..This study estimated the prevalence and extent of periodontal disease in the United States using data from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III)...
- The severity of periodontal disease is associated with the development of glucose intolerance in non-diabetics: the Hisayama studyT Saito
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Kyushu University Faculty of Dental Science, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Dent Res 83:485-90. 2004..Deep pockets were closely related to current glucose tolerance status and the development of glucose intolerance...
- Periodontal infections contribute to elevated systemic C-reactive protein levelB Noack
Department of Oral Biology, University at Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
J Periodontol 72:1221-7. 2001..The positive correlation between CRP and periodontal disease might be a possible underlying pathway in the association between periodontal disease and the observed higher risk for CVD in these patients...
- A systematic review of definitions of periodontitis and methods that have been used to identify this diseaseAmir Savage
UCL Eastman Dental Institute, London WC1X 8WD, UK
J Clin Periodontol 36:458-67. 2009..To perform a systematic review and critical analysis of the definitions of periodontitis and the methods which have been used to identify and measure this disease...
- Comparison of microbial cultivation and a commercial PCR based method for detection of periodontopathogenic species in subgingival plaque samplesSigrun Eick
Department of Microbiological Microbiology, University Hospital of Jena, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 29:638-44. 2002..The purpose of this study was to validate the commercially available micro-Dent(R) test which employs probes for A. actinomycetemcomitans, P. gingivalis, P. intermedia, B. forsythus and T. denticola...
- Metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and periodontitis: a cross-sectional study in a middle-aged French populationCatherine Benguigui
INSERM U558, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Toulouse, Universite de Toulouse, Toulouse, France
J Clin Periodontol 37:601-8. 2010..We examined the relationships between metabolic syndrome, its various components, insulin resistance, and periodontitis...
- Relationship of serum advanced glycation end products with deterioration of periodontitis in type 2 diabetes patientsMunehiro Takeda
Department of Oral Frontier Biology, Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka University, Suita Osaka, Japan
J Periodontol 77:15-20. 2006..In the present study, we examined whether other biomarkers are related to the development and deterioration of periodontitis often seen in type 2 diabetic individuals...
- Association between chronic dental infection and acute myocardial infarctionBrita Willershausen
Department of Operative Dentistry, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Endod 35:626-30. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate whether there is a correlation between dental origin infections and the presence of an acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- Clinical periodontal and microbiologic parameters in patients with acute myocardial infarctionJamal M Stein
Department of Operative Dentistry, Perdiodontology, and Dentistry, University Hospital Aachen, Aachen, Germany
J Periodontol 80:1581-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate the impact of clinical periodontal parameters and the presence of periodontal pathogens in patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- Relationship of periodontal attachment loss to peripheral vascular disease: an analysis of NHANES 1999-2002 dataBing Lu
Center for Primary Care and Prevention, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island, Pawtucket, RI, USA
Atherosclerosis 200:199-205. 2008..We therefore sought to evaluate the relationship of periodontal disease to PVD...
- Association among menopause, hormone replacement therapy, and periodontal attachment loss in southern Brazilian womenAlex N Haas
Department of Periodontology, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Periodontol 80:1380-7. 2009The aim of the present study was to evaluate the association among menopause, hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and periodontal attachment loss (PAL).
- Case definitions for use in population-based surveillance of periodontitisRoy C Page
Regional Clinical Dental Research Center, Schools of Dentistry and Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Periodontol 78:1387-99. 2007....
- Relationship between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontitisF B Mercado
Department of Dentistry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Periodontol 72:779-87. 2001..This association may be a reflection of a common underlying disregulation of the inflammatory response in these individuals...
- Relationship of destructive periodontal disease to the acute-phase responseRonald G Craig
Department of Basic Science and Craniofacial Biology, New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY 10010, USA
J Periodontol 74:1007-16. 2003..The objective of the present investigation was to determine the effect of destructive periodontal disease status, severity, and progression on components of the acute-phase response in an urban minority population...
- Platelet-derived growth factor stimulates bone fill and rate of attachment level gain: results of a large multicenter randomized controlled trialMyron Nevins
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Periodontol 76:2205-15. 2005....
- Relationship of stress, distress and inadequate coping behaviors to periodontal diseaseR J Genco
State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Dental Medicine, Department of Oral Biology, Periodontal Disease Research Center, 14214 3092, USA
J Periodontol 70:711-23. 1999..The association of stress, distress, and coping behaviors with periodontal disease was assessed...
- Periodontal disease and recurrent cardiovascular events in survivors of myocardial infarction (MI): the Western New York Acute MI StudyJoan M Dorn
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Health Professions, State University of New York, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, USA
J Periodontol 81:502-11. 2010..This study investigates whether periodontal disease is related to recurrent CVD events and mortality in survivors of incident myocardial infarction (MI)...
- Non-surgical periodontal therapy with adjunctive topical doxycycline: a double-blind randomized controlled multicenter studyPeter Eickholz
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Section of Periodontology, University Dental Clinic, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 29:108-17. 2002..Evaluation of the clinical effect of topical application of doxycycline adjunctive to non-surgical periodontal therapy...
- Persistently raised C-reactive protein levels are associated with advanced periodontal diseaseGerard J Linden
Oral Science Research Centre, Queen s University, Belfast, UK
J Clin Periodontol 35:741-7. 2008..The aim was to investigate whether there was an association between periodontitis or tooth loss in a homogeneous group of 60-70-year-old Western European men and either a sustained high or low level of C-reactive protein (CRP)...
- The use of PVP-iodine as an adjunct to non-surgical treatment of chronic periodontitisB Rosling
Department of Periodontology, Goteborg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 28:1023-31. 2001....
- The relationship between periodontitis and preterm low birthweightM V Vettore
Department of Epidemiology and Quantitative Methods in Health, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation ENSP FIOCRUZ, Rua Leopoldo Bulhões, 1480 Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 21041 210 RJ, Brazil
J Dent Res 87:73-8. 2008..Periodontal disease was not more severe in women with preterm low birthweight babies...
- Epidemiologic risk factors for periodontal attachment loss among adults in the United StatesJeffrey J Hyman
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Bethesda, MD 20892 6401, USA
J Clin Periodontol 30:230-7. 2003..The objective of this study was to identify variables related to periodontal loss of attachment (LOA)...
- Cigarette smoking, salivary/gingival crevicular fluid cotinine and periodontal status. A 10-year longitudinal studyX Chen
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, Minneapolis 55455, USA
J Clin Periodontol 28:331-9. 2001..05). CONCLUSION: Neither salivary cotinine nor GCF cotinine was significantly correlated with probing depth, attachment loss and tooth loss (p > 0.05)...
- Coronary heart disease and periodontitis -- a case control study in Chilean adultsRodrigo Lopez
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Aarhus, Denmark
J Clin Periodontol 29:468-73. 2002..To investigate the association between periodontal disease parameters and coronary ischemic disease among 30-50-year-old Chileans...
- Meta-analysis of the effect of scaling and root planing, surgical treatment and antibiotic therapies on periodontal probing depth and attachment lossHsin Chia Hung
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Periodontol 29:975-86. 2002..This paper reports a meta-analysis of studies that have investigated the effect of scaling and root planing on periodontal probing depth and attachment loss...
- The effect of improved periodontal health on metabolic control in type 2 diabetes mellitusMine Kiran
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
J Clin Periodontol 32:266-72. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of improved periodontal health on metabolic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM) patients...
- Forty-eight-month periodontal attachment loss incidence in a population-based cohort study: role of baseline status, incident tooth loss, and specific behavioral factorsGregg H Gilbert
Department of Diagnostic Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1530 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Periodontol 76:1161-70. 2005....
- Periodontal inflamed surface area: quantifying inflammatory burdenWillem Nesse
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Centre for Dentistry and Oral Hygiene, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 35:668-73. 2008..None of these classifications quantifies the amount of inflamed periodontal tissue, while this information is needed to assess the inflammatory burden posed by periodontitis...
- Periodontal assessment of patients undergoing angioplasty for treatment of coronary artery diseaseAnca Bazile
Department of Periodontics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 4905, USA
J Periodontol 73:631-6. 2002..The purpose of this cross-sectional study was to assess the periodontal condition of patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) in order to verify the association between CAD and certain periodontal parameters...
- Manual and electronic probing of the periodontal attachment level in untreated periodontitis: a systematic reviewCarina M Silva-Boghossian
Department of Dental Clinic, Division of Graduate Periodontics, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Dent 36:651-7. 2008..A systematic review of clinical trials has been performed to evaluate the reproducibility of manual (MP) and electronic probes (EP) in the measurement of clinical periodontal attachment level (AL) in untreated periodontitis subjects...
- Levels of gingival tissue platelet activating factor after conventional and regenerative periodontal surgeryGonca Cayir Keles
Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Periodontology, Ondokuzmayis University, 55139 Samsun, Turkey
Clin Oral Investig 11:369-76. 2007..05). Based on the reported results, it is suggested that a decrease in gingival PAF levels might be found after conventional and regenerative periodontal surgery...
- Probing bone level measurements for determination of the depths of Class II furcation defectsYoung Il Suh
Advanced Education Program in Periodontics and Implant Surgery, School of Dentistry, Loma Linda University, CA 92354, USA
J Periodontol 73:637-42. 2002..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the reliability of probing bone measurements in such defects...
- Impaired healing response of periodontal furcation defects following flap debridement surgery in smokers. A controlled clinical trialLeonardo Trombelli
Research Center for Study of Periodontal Diseases, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Clin Periodontol 30:81-7. 2003..The purpose of the present parallel-design, controlled clinical trial was to evaluate the treatment outcome of periodontal furcation defects following flap debridement surgery (FDS) procedure in cigarette smokers compared to non-smokers...
- A systematic review of the effect of surgical debridement vs non-surgical debridement for the treatment of chronic periodontitisL J A Heitz-Mayfield
Department of Periodontology and Fixed Prosthodontics, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
J Clin Periodontol 29:92-102; discussion 160-2. 2002..To systematically review the evidence of effectiveness of surgical vs. non-surgical therapy for the treatment of chronic periodontal disease...
- Povidone-iodine used as an adjunct to non-surgical treatment of furcation involvementsErica Del Peloso Ribeiro
Department of Prosthodontics and Periodontics, Division of Periodontics, School of Dentistry at Piracicaba, University of Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Periodontol 77:211-7. 2006..The aim of this clinical trial was to evaluate the effect of topically applied povidone-iodine (polyvinylpyrrolidone and iodine [PVP-I]) used as an adjunct to non-surgical therapy of furcation involvements...
- A controlled multicenter study of adjunctive use of tetracycline periodontal fibers in mandibular class II furcations with persistent bleedingM S Tonetti
J Clin Periodontol 25:728-36. 1998..Short duration of the effect, however, requires further investigations to optimize conservative treatment of these challenging defects...
- A community study on the relationship between stress, coping, affective dispositions and periodontal attachment lossSam K S Ng
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 34:252-66. 2006..Psychological factors may increase the risk for periodontal diseases. Contemporary conceptualization of the stress process supports the evaluation of stress at three levels: stressors, moderating and mediating factors, and stress reactions...
- Periodontal attachment loss in an untreated isolated population of BrazilPriscila Corraini
Department of Stomatology, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Periodontol 79:610-20. 2008....
- The association between osteopenia and periodontal attachment loss in older womenR J Weyant
University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine, Department of Dental Public Health, PA 15261, USA
J Periodontol 70:982-91. 1999..The purpose of the present cross-sectional study was to evaluate the association between systemic bone mineral density and the clinical signs of periodontal tissue destruction in a large population of elderly dentate women...
- The prevalence and intraoral distribution of periodontal attachment loss in a birth cohort of 26-year-oldsW M Thomson
Department of Oral Health, School of Dentistry, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Periodontol 71:1840-5. 2000..There is a paucity of comprehensive descriptive data from younger age groups. Understanding the epidemiology and clinical presentation of the condition earlier in the disease course may enable more appropriate interventions...
- The highly leukotoxic JP2 clone of Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans and progression of periodontal attachment lossD Haubek
Dental Faculty, University of Rabat, Morocco
J Dent Res 83:767-70. 2004..actinomycetemcomitans. Subjects harboring non-JP2 types displayed a marginally higher CAL progression than did subjects who were culture-negative for A. actinomycetemcomitans...
- The influence of partial and full-mouth recordings on estimates of prevalence and extent of lifetime cumulative attachment loss: a study in a population of young male military recruitsK A Eaton
Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, USA
J Periodontol 72:140-5. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: These data indicate that the use of index teeth in epidemiological studies which include young adults may result in an underestimation of the prevalence of early periodontitis and an overestimation of the extent...
- A comparative study of oral health status in a migrant/Japanese sampleJiro Otsuru
Department of Oral Health Promotion, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 53:27-33. 2006..The aim of this study was to compare the oral health status of migrants to Japan with that of Japanese using the questionnaire and the Oral Health Status Index (OHSI)...
- Clinical assessment of periodontitis in young adults--evaluation of probing depth and partial recording methodsD M Agerholm
King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, United Kingdom
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 24:56-61. 1996....
- Relationship of periodontal disease and tooth loss to prevalence of coronary heart diseaseJohn R Elter
Center for Oral and Systemic Diseases, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7450, USA
J Periodontol 75:782-90. 2004..Studies relating periodontal disease to coronary heart disease (CHD) have provided equivocal results using tooth loss and/or clinical signs of periodontal disease as measures of periodontal exposure...
- Methodological aspects of epidemiological studies of periodontal diseasesAlbert Kingman
Periodontol 2000 29:11-30. 2002
- Periodontal parameters and platelet-activating factor levels in serum and gingival crevicular fluid in a Chinese populationPei Zheng
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Affiliated Hospital of Stomatology, Medical College, Zhejiang University, China
J Clin Periodontol 33:797-802. 2006..The present clinical study assessed the relation between the severity of periodontal disease and PAF levels in gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) and serum...
- Effect of mechanical and antiseptic therapy on peri-implant mucositis: an experimental study in monkeysPedro M Trejo
Department of Periodontics, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX 77030 3402, USA
Clin Oral Implants Res 17:294-304. 2006..This experiment was performed to evaluate clinically and histologically the effect of mechanical therapy with or without antiseptic therapy on peri-implant mucositis lesions in nine cynomolgus monkeys...
- Effectiveness of adjunctive low-dose doxycycline therapy on clinical parameters and gingival crevicular fluid laminin-5 gamma2 chain levels in chronic periodontitisGulnur Emingil
Ege University, School of Dentistry, Department of Periodontology, Izmir, Turkey
J Periodontol 75:1387-96. 2004....
- Bioabsorbable membrane and bioactive glass in the treatment of intrabony defects in patients with generalized aggressive periodontitis: results of a 12-month clinical and radiological studyReiner Mengel
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
J Periodontol 74:899-908. 2003..The aim of this clinical and radiological prospective study was to compare the effectiveness of a bioabsorbable membrane and a bioactive glass in the treatment of intrabony defects in patients with generalized aggressive periodontitis...
- Diabetes and periodontal disease: a case-control studyGuglielmo Campus
Dental Institute, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
J Periodontol 76:418-25. 2005..This case-control study was designed to evaluate the possible association between non-insulin-dependent diabetes (T2DM) and clinical and microbiological periodontal disease among adult Sardinians...
- Periodontal treatment with an Er:YAG laser or scaling and root planing. A 2-year follow-up split-mouth studyFrank Schwarz
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Helne University, Westdeutsche Kieferklinik, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Periodontol 74:590-6. 2003..Therefore, the aim of the present study was to present the 2-year results following non-surgical periodontal treatment with an Er:YAG laser or scaling and root planing...
- Polymer-assisted regeneration therapy with Atrisorb barriers in human periodontal intrabony defectsLein Tuan Hou
Department of Periodontology, Graduate Institute of Clinical Dentistry, National Taiwan University Hospital, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Periodontol 31:68-74. 2004..This study compared clinical results of 40 periodontal osseous defects treated by two types of absorbable barrier materials...
- Modulation of clinical expression of plaque-induced gingivitis: response in aggressive periodontitis subjectsLeonardo Trombelli
Research Center for the Study of Periodontal Diseases, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Clin Periodontol 33:79-85. 2006....
- Healing of intrabony defects following treatment with an oily calcium hydroxide suspension (Osteoinductal). A controlled clinical studyStefan Ioan Stratul
Department of Periodontology, Victor Babes University of Medicine, Timisoara, Romania
Clin Oral Investig 10:55-60. 2006....
- Papilla preservation technique combined with Emdogain in the treatment of intrabony defects: a novel treatment regimen for chronic periodontitisAsta Miliauskaite
Clinic of Operative Dentistry, Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, Saarland University Hospitals, Building 73, D 66421, Homburg Saar, Germany
Stomatologija 10:22-6. 2008..Therefore, we conducted the present study to evaluate clinically measurable results of a combined therapy by PPT and EMD in the treatment of isolated intrabony defects...
- Local peptidergic innervation of gingiva in smoking and non-smoking periodontitis patientsElif Eser Sakallioglu
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Ondokuz Mayis, Samsun, Turkey
J Periodontol 79:1451-6. 2008..The present study aimed to investigate the local peptidergic innervation of diseased and healthy periodontia in smokers and non-smokers...
- Comparative clinical responses related to the use of various periodontal instrumentationPatrick R Obeid
Department of Periodontology, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Periodontol 31:193-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate in vivo the effectiveness of scaling and root planing of a power-driven mechanism compared with hand instruments and ultrasonic insert alone with a split-mouth design after 3 and 6 months...
- Clinical outcome observed in subjects with recurrent periodontal disease following local treatment with 25% metronidazole gelH Jansson
Department of Periodontology, Center for Oral Health Sciences, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
J Periodontol 74:372-7. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical outcome in patients with recurrent periodontal disease following treatment with 25% metronidazole gel...
- Combining host modulation and topical antimicrobial therapy in the management of moderate to severe periodontitis: a randomized multicenter trialM John Novak
Center for Oral Health Research, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0305, USA
J Periodontol 79:33-41. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate a combination therapy involving SRP, HMT, and TAT in the treatment of moderate to severe CP...
- Evaluation of t-PA, PAI-2, IL-1beta and PGE(2) in gingival crevicular fluid of rheumatoid arthritis patients with periodontal diseaseBaşak Biyikoğlu
Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Clin Periodontol 33:605-11. 2006....
- Quadrant root planing versus same-day full-mouth root planing. I. Clinical findingsD A Apatzidou
Periodontal and Oral Immunology Research Group, Glasgow Dental School, Glasgow, UK
J Clin Periodontol 31:132-40. 2004....
- Gingival crevicular fluid osteopontin levels in periodontal health and diseaseC G Dileep Sharma
Department of Periodontics, KGF College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, KGF, Karnataka, India
J Periodontol 77:1674-80. 2006....
- Locally delivered doxycycline as an adjunctive therapy to scaling and root planing in the treatment of smokers: a clinical studyLuciana Machion
Department of Periodontics and Prosthodontics, Division of Periodontics, School of Dentistry at Piracicaba, University of Campinas, Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Periodontol 75:464-9. 2004..The aim of this clinical study was to evaluate the association of locally delivered doxycycline (10%) with scaling and root planing in the periodontal treatment of smokers...
- Effects of smoking on clinical parameters and the gingival crevicular fluid levels of IL-6 and TNF-alpha in patients with chronic periodontitisEbru Olgun Erdemir
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
J Clin Periodontol 31:99-104. 2004....
- A comparative evaluation of the clinical effects of systemic and local doxycycline in the treatment of chronic periodontitisFerda Alev Akalin
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Oral Sci 46:25-35. 2004..LD may be more preferable than SD as an adjunct to mechanical treatment since LD seems more effective than SD on PD reduction and does not have the side effects of SD...
- Non-surgical periodontal treatment with a new ultrasonic device (Vector-ultrasonic system) or hand instrumentsAnton Sculean
Department of Periodontology and Operative Dentistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 31:428-33. 2004..The aim of this prospective, randomized, controlled clinical study was to compare the effectiveness of a newly developed ultrasonic device to that of scaling and root planing for non-surgical periodontal treatment...
- Chewing fails to induce oral bacteraemia in patients with periodontal diseaseAnthony M Murphy
Discipline of Periodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
J Clin Periodontol 33:730-6. 2006..To investigate whether chewing in patients with untreated chronic periodontitis or plaque-induced gingivitis causes bacteraemia of oral origin...
- Treatment of intrabony defects with enamel matrix proteins or barrier membranes: results from a multicenter practice-based clinical trialMariano Sanz
Department of Periodontology, University Complutense, Madrid, Spain
J Periodontol 75:726-33. 2004..This prospective multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial compared the clinical outcomes of enamel matrix proteins (EMD) versus placement of a bioabsorbable membrane in conjunction with guided tissue regeneration (GTR)...
- Increased plasma levels of IL-6 in bacteremic periodontis patients after scalingLone Forner
Noerre Allé 20, Copenhagen N 2200, Denmark
J Clin Periodontol 33:724-9. 2006..No systematic changes occurred in the levels of IL-1beta, TNF-alpha, IL-10 and IL-2p70. IL-6 levels may be increased while IL-8 may be decreased due to scaling, which may have implications for general health...
- Periodontal therapy reduces arginase activity in saliva of patients with chronic periodontitisL W Gheren
Dental Research, Department of Dentistry, University of Taubate, Taubate, SP, Brazil
Clin Oral Investig 12:67-72. 2008..It was suggested that in the near future, SAA may be used as a salivary marker of periodontal status...
- Periodontal disease status of an indigenous population of Guatemala, Central AmericaS A Dowsett
Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Clin Periodontol 28:663-71. 2001..4 and 28.0 respectively), smoking unusual, and families large and localised to the village. This community thus affords several advantages over populations in developed countries when considering familial studies of adult periodontitis...
- Bioabsorbable membrane and bioactive glass in the treatment of intrabony defects in patients with generalized aggressive periodontitis: results of a 5-year clinical and radiological studyReiner Mengel
Department of Periodontology, Philipps University Marburg, Marburg, Germany
J Periodontol 77:1781-7. 2006....
- Effect of supragingival plaque control in smokers and never-smokers: 6-month evaluation of patients with periodontitisSabrina Carvalho Gomes
Department of Periodontics, Sao Paulo State University, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Periodontol 78:1515-21. 2007..This study evaluated the clinical effects of supragingival plaque control on clinical signs of periodontitis in smokers and never-smokers...
- Cigarette smoking negatively affects healing response following flap debridement surgeryA Scabbia
Research Center for the Study of Periodontal Diseases, University of Ferrara, Italy
J Periodontol 72:43-9. 2001....
- Long-term results of guided tissue regeneration therapy with non-resorbable and bioabsorbable barriers. II. A case series of infrabony defectsTi Sun Kim
Section of Periodontology, Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University Clinic of Dental Medicine Heidelberg, Germany
J Periodontol 73:450-9. 2002..The aim of this 5-year follow-up case series was to clinically and radiographically evaluate the long-term results after guided tissue regeneration (GTR) therapy of infrabony defects using non-resorbable and bioabsorbable barriers...
- Clinical evaluation of an enamel matrix protein derivative combined with a bioactive glass for the treatment of intrabony periodontal defects in humansAnton Sculean
Department of Periodontology and Conservative Dentistry, University of Saarland, Homburg, Germany
J Periodontol 73:401-8. 2002..The purpose of the present study was to compare the treatment of deep intrabony defects with a combination of an enamel matrix protein derivative (EMD) and a bioactive glass (BG) to BG alone...
- Enamel matrix proteins in the regenerative therapy of deep intrabony defectsMaurizio S Tonetti
Department of Periodontology, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, UK
J Clin Periodontol 29:317-25. 2002..This prospective multicentre randomized controlled clinical trial was designed to compare the clinical outcomes of papilla preservation flap surgery with or without the application of enamel matrix proteins (EMD)...
- Comparative evaluation of adjunctive oral irrigation in diabeticsSultan Al-Mubarak
Armed Forces Hospital of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Clin Periodontol 29:295-300. 2002..The purpose of this study was to assess the response of diabetics to scaling and root planing treatment and subgingival oral irrigation as adjunctive therapy...
- The clinical effects of saline and aloe vera rinses on periodontal surgical sitesLisa Rieger
Department of Dental Hygiene, University of Oklahoma, College of Dentistry, USA
J Okla Dent Assoc 92:40-3. 2002
- Controlled local delivery of tetracycline with polymer strips in the treatment of periodontitisLynn R Friesen
Department of Periodontics, University of Missouri Kansas City, School of Dentistry, 64108, USA
J Periodontol 73:13-9. 2002....
- Gingival crevicular fluid matrix metalloproteinase-8 levels following adjunctive use of meloxicam and initial phase of periodontal therapyNurcan Buduneli
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Periodontol 73:103-9. 2002....
- Long-term results of guided tissue regeneration therapy with non-resorbable and bioabsorbable barriers. IV. A case series of infrabony defects after 10 yearsBernadette Pretzl
Section of Periodontology, Department of Conservative Dentistry, Clinic for Oral, Dental, and Maxillofacial Diseases, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Periodontol 79:1491-9. 2008..A 10-year follow-up study was conducted to clinically evaluate the long-term results after guided tissue regeneration (GTR) therapy of infrabony defects using non-resorbable and bioabsorbable barriers...
- Subgingival triclosan-polydimethylsiloxane gel as an adjunct to scaling and root planingGiovana Lecio
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Am J Dent 21:171-4. 2008..To evaluate the influence of a triclosan-polydimethylsiloxane-containing gel when used as an adjunct to scaling and root planing on the treatment of chronic periodontal disease...
- Photodynamic therapy as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment: a randomized, controlled clinical trialNicos Christodoulides
Department of Periodontology, Radboud University Medical Center, Philips van Leydenlaan 25, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Periodontol 79:1638-44. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical and microbiologic effects of the adjunctive use of PDT to non-surgical periodontal treatment...
- Effects of pretreatment clinical parameters on bioactive glass implantation in intrabony periodontal defectsJ S Park
Department of Periodontology, Research Institute for Periodontal Regeneration, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul, Korea
J Periodontol 72:730-40. 2001....
- Interleukin-4 polymorphisms in early onset periodontitisJ Michel
Department of Periodontology, University of Giessen, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 28:483-8. 2001..Early-onset periodontitis (EOP) is defined by the age of onset, the distribution of lesions and specific microbial pathogens...
- The long-term effect of systemic tetracycline used as an adjunct to non-surgical treatment of advanced periodontitisP Ramberg
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, , Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 28:446-52. 2001..Annual rates of probing attachment level change from 1 to 13 years did not differ between groups...
- A 2-step non-surgical procedure and systemic antibiotics in the treatment of rapidly progressive periodontitisB Sigusch
Department of Periodontology, Conservative Dentistry, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Germany
J Periodontol 72:275-83. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The present results show that metronidazole and clindamycin are effective antibiotics when used adjunctively in a 2-step nonsurgical procedure of scaling and root planing in RPP patients...
- Longitudinal evaluation of GCF MMP-3 and TIMP-1 levels as prognostic factors for progression of periodontitisT Alpagot
University of the Pacific School of Dentistry, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Clin Periodontol 28:353-9. 2001..CONCLUSION: These data indicate that sites with high GCF levels of MMP-3 and TIMP-1 are at significantly greater risk for progression of periodontitis...
- Effects of phase I periodontal treatment on gingival crevicular fluid levels of matrix metalloproteinase-1 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1Gülay Tüter
Gazi University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Periodontology, Ankara, Turkey
J Periodontol 73:487-93. 2002..Levels of MMPs and TIMPs change during healing, inflammation, and normal tissue turnover. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of phase I periodontal treatment on gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) levels of MMP-1 and TIMP-1...
- Supracrestal soft tissue preservation with enamel matrix proteins in treatment of deep intrabony defectsLeonardo Trombelli
Research Centre for the Study of Periodontal Diseases, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Clin Periodontol 29:433-9. 2002..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the effectiveness of a regenerative procedure based on supracrestal soft tissue preservation in association with enamel matrix proteins (EMP) in the treatment of deep intrabony defects...
- Clinical evaluation of an Er:YAG laser combined with scaling and root planing for non-surgical periodontal treatment. A controlled, prospective clinical studyFrank Schwarz
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 30:26-34. 2003....
- Guided tissue regeneration using a polylactic acid barrierB Ehmke
Clinic of Periodontology and Institute of Infection Control, University of Munster, Waldeyerstrasse 30, 48149 Munster, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 30:368-74. 2003..The purpose of this study was to determine the relative impact of various predictors responsible for the variability in treatment outcome after guided tissue regeneration (GTR) in intraosseous periodontal defects...
- The effect of alendronate sodium on alveolar bone loss in periodontitis (clinical trial)Una M El-Shinnawi
Department of Oral Medicine and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
J Int Acad Periodontol 5:5-10. 2003..Alendronate sodium had no effect on the clinical parameters and could play an important role as an adjunct to conventional periodontal therapy in management of periodontal diseases...
- Effects of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition on gingival tissue levels of prostaglandin E2 and prostaglandin F2alpha and clinical parameters of chronic periodontitisSaynur Vardar
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Periodontol 74:57-63. 2003....
- Influence of interleukin-1 gene polymorphism on periodontal regeneration in intrabony defectsM Christgau
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
J Periodontal Res 38:20-7. 2003..In conclusion, these 12-month findings indicate that the IL-1 gene polymorphism has no influence on the clinical and radiographic regeneration results following GTR therapy...
- Systemic administration of doxycycline versus metronidazole plus amoxicillin in the treatment of localized aggressive periodontitis: a clinical and microbiologic studyHakan Akincibay
Department of Periodontology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Quintessence Int 39:e33-9. 2008....
- A split-mouth study on periodontal and microbial parameters in children with complete unilateral cleft lip and palateM Quirynen
Department of Periodontology, Research Group for Microbial Adhesion, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Periodontol 30:49-56. 2003..Such multidisciplinary treatment takes many years and demands a lot of attention to both patients' teeth and periodontium...
- Clinical and radiographic evaluation of periodontal and peri-implant conditions in patients with implant-supported prosthesisMonica H Abreu
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Lutheran University of Brazil
Acta Odontol Latinoam 20:87-95. 2007..However, subgingival inflammation was higher in implants than in teeth. The destruction measurements suggest greater losses in implants, as expected because of tissue remodelation...
- Three Periodontal Therapies in Current & Non-SmokersAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed investigation should provide a model to examine methods that could be useful in treating compromised patients whether compromised by harmful habits such as smoking, systemic disease, or genetic background. ..
- Increasing HCV Knowledge & Service Use in Drug Tx PgmsShiela Strauss; Fiscal Year: 2007..In its manualized form, successful elements of the training will be disseminated to programs nationwide ..
- GENETIC AND IMMUNOLOGIC ASPECTS OF PERIODONTAL DISEASESHARVEY SCHENKEIN; Fiscal Year: 2001..have discovered that IgG2 antibody levels against phosphorylcholine (PC) are elevated in patients with periodontal attachment loss compared to healthy subjects; this led us to the observations that anti-PC inhibits IgG2 production and ..
- GENETIC AND IMMUNOLOGIC ASPECTS OF PERIODONTAL DISEASESHARVEY SCHENKEIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..have discovered that IgG2 antibody levels against phosphorylcholine (PC) are elevated in patients with periodontal attachment loss compared to healthy subjects; this led us to the observations that anti-PC inhibits IgG2 production and ..
- Identification of Uncultivated and Unrecognized Pathogens of PeriodontitisANNE DENISE HAFFAJEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The identification of such pathogens should, over time, lead to better diagnosis of disease, optimal treatment strategies for the individual patient, new therapeutic approaches and carefully targeted approaches to prevention. ..
- EFFECT OF ANTIBIOTICS ON ORAL BIOFILMS IN VIVOAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- MICROBIAL ASSOCIATIONS IN PERIODONTAL HEALTH AND DISEASEAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will provide a basis for understanding microbial community structure, ecological relationships and define desired microbiological end-point of therapy. ..
- Alabama Dental Practice Research Network DevelopmentGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Guided Pocket Recolonization (GPR) in PeriodontitisMarc Quirynen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Clinical data will be collected after 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks. The results should indicate the possible role for commensal organisms in periodontal disease and subgingival biofilm formation. ..
- LONGITUDINAL ORAL HEALTH OUTCOMES IN HIGH-RISK ADULTSGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Oral Health/OHRQOL among low-SES rural adultsGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- UAB Oral Health Research InnovationGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Mid-Career Investigator Award-Patient-Oriented ResearchGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- UAB Oral Health Research Infrastructure ImprovementGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- A Unified Surgical Instrument System for Periodontal Minimally Invasive SurgerySTEPHEN HARREL; Fiscal Year: 2007..The resulting system, based on the surgical consultants evaluations and scores, will be used in a Phase 2 multicenter controlled clinical evaluation of MIS. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH--ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERTHOMAS DODSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..This award leverages the PI's skills and talents by providing protected time to mentor additional trainees and to conduct high quality patient-oriented research. ..
- Aging: Effects on Infection, Inflammation and DiseaseMichael Novak; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term implications are that diet control may be considered as an effective public healthcare measure for improving the oral and general health and welfare of the population as a whole. ..
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information can help determine in what area of periodontal research definitive clinical trials may offer the greatest contribution. ..
- Periodontal Disease and the Incidence of Oral CancerMine Tezal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Prevention of oral cancer could begin with prevention and early treatment of periodontitis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gene Expression in Chronic and Aggressive PeriodontitisPanos Papapanou; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, a pathobiology-based classification of periodontitis will facilitate correct diagnosis and targeted, efficient therapeutic prevention and intervention strategies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PERIODONTAL INFECTION AND RISK FOR MYOCARDIAL INFARCTIONRobert Genco; Fiscal Year: 2001..Therefore, understanding the association between these two diseases is of significant importance, both to individuals and for public health measures directed to reducing their morbidity and mortality. ..
- SYSTEMIC EFFECTS OF PERIODONTITISJames Beck; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- New Pathogens for Childhood CariesAnne Tanner; Fiscal Year: 2008..As a result, it is expected that many of the negative consequences of this disease will be avoided, with attendant reductions in the costs of dental and related medical care. ..
- Conference on Closing the Gap in Hispanics' Oral HealthGustavo Cruz; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Enhancement of informed consent in dental clinical trialJ Goodson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- A comprehensive smoking index to model smoking historyThomas Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2006..Significance: The CSI may be an efficient way to capture different characteristics of smoking in a single variable to model smoking history in epidemiologic models of chronic disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IN VIVO MECHANISMS OF LOCAL STATIN-INDUCED BONERichard Reinhardt; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- INITIAL LESION OF ADULT PERIODONTITISAnne Tanner; Fiscal Year: 2002..loss or an altered IL-1 genotype, in a cross-sectional study comparing subjects with minimal periodontal attachment loss (cases) with periodontally healthy subjects (controls)...
- Effects of Immigration on Oral Health: A Comparative StudyGustavo Cruz; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed study would help elucidate the effects of ethnicity on the oral health of immigrants by examining some of the underlying factors associated with disparities in oral health. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Periodontitis, Atherosclerosis and the Host ResponseEvanthia Lalla; Fiscal Year: 2007..We propose to employ this model to dissect the factors accelerating vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis in periodontitis. ..
- Periodontal microbiota, serum Antibody response & T1DMEvanthia Lalla; Fiscal Year: 2002..Theses studies will markedly enhance our understanding of the oral microbiology and immunology in type 1 diabetes. ..
- SEVERE PERIODONTITIS AS A RHEOLOGIC MODIFIERSTEVEN ENGEBRETSON; Fiscal Year: 2003..Dr. Engebretson will receive training in research methodology and molecular biology in order to explore the mechanisms of periodontal medicine through the conduct of human clinical studies as a career goal. ..
- Diabetes and Periodontics Trial R21STEVEN ENGEBRETSON; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interleukin-1 and Periodontitis in Down's SyndromeAhmed Khocht; Fiscal Year: 2005..This model of the mechanisms accounting for the severity of periodontitis will be compared to that found in the non-Down's sample. ..
- Quantification of Host Markers in GCF Using CBIBRicardo Teles; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, this methodology is at the forefront of new approaches in proteomics, and carries enormous promise for translational applications in the near future. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diabetes Associations with Caries and Tooth LossGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results may also impact on existing clinical practice protocols, and promote new public policy in matters related to diabetes. ..
- TREATING PERIODONTAL INFECTION: GLYCEMIC CONTROLGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Salivary Biomarkers to Predict Alveolar Bone LossFrank Scannapieco; Fiscal Year: 2005..We envision that this approach could be conveniently adapted in the future for use by practicing dentists to provide objective information to assess risk for periodontal bone loss. ..
- UAB Oral Health Research Curriculum InnovationMICHAEL REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Relationship between Periodontal Disease and Gestational Diabetes MellitusXu Xiong; Fiscal Year: 2008..Improving oral health and treating periodontal disease before and during pregnancy may reduce maternal and perinatal morbidity associated with GDM and prevent type 2 diabetes after pregnancy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FUNCTION OF B-DEFENSINS IN COMMON ORAL INFECTIONSJanet Guthmiller; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Longitudinal Study of Fluoride, Diet, Caries & FluorosisSteven Levy; Fiscal Year: 2008..As studies involving recruitment and successful retention of a cohort from birth are extremely rare, the Iowa Fluoride Study offers a unique opportunity to study these relationships in unprecedented detail. ..
- Gene Mapping of Susceptibility to PeriodontitisScott Diehl; Fiscal Year: 2008..by analyzing environmental risk factors in all samples and antibody responses to periodontal pathogens in the NHANES sample. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Attachment of Oral Actinobacillus to EpitheliumDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2008..The longterm goal of this application is to use this information to identify targets for therapeutic agents that can interfere with attachment of Aa to oral tissues and thus prevent colonization leading to LAP. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Periodontal Host-Pathogen ConferenceFrank Scannapieco; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will offer a limited number of travel grants to several graduate student or post-doctoral fellow poster presenters who have need for such support. ..
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Annual MeetingDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE IN A SUBGINGIVAL BIOFILM MODELClay Walker; Fiscal Year: 2006..We believe the information derived from the experiments described will provide a better understanding of the subgingival flora and the effects that antibiotics may have on this flora. ..
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Research Group Annual MtgDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- ORAL MUCOSA MICROBIOTA IN HEALTH, CANCER & MUCOSITISDonna Mager; Fiscal Year: 2004..Detection on unusual microbial shifts in mucositis might suggest possible routes to minimizing this condition. ..
- Longitudinal study of caries in a rural WIC populationJohn Warren; Fiscal Year: 2004..Data from this pilot study will be of great value and will position the study team to effectively conduct future intervention studies to reduce oral health disparities. ..
- Endodontic Inflammation and Cardiovascular OutcomesDaniel Caplan; Fiscal Year: 2002..It also will serve as the epidemiologic foundation for future investigations into endodontic disease and other systemic outcomes. ..
- Periodontal Therapy: Effects on Glycemic Control in Community Health CentersGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oral Health Research TrainingMICHAEL REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2006..Where clinical training is interdigitated with the program, the clinical program director reports on the clinical progress to Dr. Jeffcoat. Program structure will also include internal and external advisory committees. ..
- Microbial Markers for Periodontal Disease in ChildrenDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Outcomes of Sleep Disorders in Older Men-PortlandEric Orwoll; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also supplement the bank of MrOS specimens to allow for testing of future hypotheses concerning the role of sleep in the development of age-related diseases and conditions. ..
- ORAL AND SKELETAL BONE LOSS IN OLDER MENEric Orwoll; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since the MrOS cohort is already established through other funds, this request will provide a very cost-effective means for addressing these important oral health issues. ..