Genomes and Genes
salivary gland neoplasms
Summary: Tumors or cancer of the SALIVARY GLANDS.
Publications287 found, 100 shown here
- Systemic therapy in the management of metastatic or locally recurrent adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands: a systematic reviewScott A Laurie
Ottawa Hospital Cancer Centre, Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Lancet Oncol 12:815-24. 2011..34 trials involving 441 patients are included. We give evidence-based recommendations for management of ACC with chemotherapy, along with considerations for the design of future clinical trials in this disease...
- Major and minor salivary gland tumorsMarco Guzzo
Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 74:134-48. 2010..Metastatic disease may be either treated with radiotherapy or palliative chemotherapy, depending on the site of metastases. For highly selected patients the employment of anti-androgen therapy is indicated...
- Expression of EMMPRIN in adenoid cystic carcinoma of salivary glands: correlation with tumor progression and patients' prognosisXinjie Yang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Stomatology, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an 710032, PR China
Oral Oncol 46:755-60. 2010..Measurement of EMMPRIN may be helpful in predicting patients' prognosis and understanding the malignant behaviors of ACCs...
- Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) in salivary gland carcinomasTill Sebastian Clauditz
Institute of Pathology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Pathology 43:459-64. 2011..To determine the potential applicability of such therapies, salivary gland tumours were analysed for HER2 overexpression/amplification in this study...
- Overexpression of EGFR and absence of C-KIT expression correlate with poor prognosis in salivary gland carcinomasT Ettl
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Histopathology 53:567-77. 2008..To evaluate the prognostic impact of expression of receptor tyrosine kinases epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), HER2, and C-KIT in relation to established clinicopathological parameters in salivary gland carcinomas...
- Treatment of salivary gland neoplasms with fast neutron radiotherapyJames G Douglas
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Washington Cancer Center, Seattle, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:944-8. 2003To evaluate the efficacy of fast neutron radiotherapy for the treatment of salivary gland neoplasms.
- Alterations in miRNA processing and expression in pleomorphic adenomas of the salivary glandXiaoying Zhang
The Sydney Head and Neck Cancer Institute, Sydney Cancer Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Cancer 124:2855-63. 2009..This study has demonstrated an upregulation of both miRNAs genes and an upregulation of the miRNA processing machinery. These changes may be potential underlying mechanisms for the development of these benign tumours...
- Progressive genetic alterations of adenoid cystic carcinoma with high-grade transformationRaja R Seethala
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, 200 Lothrop St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 135:123-30. 2011..Although genome-wide imbalances have been characterized in conventional adenoid cystic carcinoma, other than p53 mutational status, the molecular profile of adenoid cystic carcinoma with high-grade transformation has not been explored...
- DNA copy number gains at loci of growth factors and their receptors in salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinomaHedy Vékony
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Oral Pathology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Cancer Res 13:3133-9. 2007..This study aimed at unraveling common genetic abnormalities associated with ACC. Additionally, chromosomal changes were correlated with patient characteristics and survival...
- EGFR, HER2, survivin, and loss of pSTAT3 characterize high-grade malignancy in salivary gland cancer with impact on prognosisTobias Ettl
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauβ Allee 11, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Hum Pathol 43:921-31. 2012..Nuclear survivin typifies aggressive tumors with worse prognosis, whereas nuclear pSTAT3 might play a role as a tumor suppressor in absence of EGFR, HER2, and survivin...
- Comprehensive analysis of the MYB-NFIB gene fusion in salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma: Incidence, variability, and clinicopathologic significanceYoshitsugu Mitani
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030 4009, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:4722-31. 2010....
- C-kit expression in the salivary gland neoplasms adenoid cystic carcinoma, polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma, and monomorphic adenomaPaul C Edwards
Department of Dental Medicine, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 270 05 76th Avenue, New Hyde Park, NY 11040, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 95:586-93. 2003..We compared the expression of the c-kit antigen in the malignant salivary gland neoplasms ACC and PLGA with its expression in salivary gland monomorphic adenoma (including canalicular adenoma and ..
- t(11;19)(q21;p13) translocation in mucoepidermoid carcinoma creates a novel fusion product that disrupts a Notch signaling pathwayGiovanni Tonon
Genetics Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute and the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland 20889, USA
Nat Genet 33:208-13. 2003..These data suggest a new mechanism to disrupt the function of a Notch co-activator in a common type of malignant salivary gland tumor...
- Maspin and MCM2 immunoprofiling in salivary gland carcinomasShaimaa E Ghazy
Oral Pathology Department, Faculty of Dentistry, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Diagn Pathol 6:89. 2011..The study was conducted to examine the cellular distribution of maspin and MCM2 in salivary gland carcinomas and their value to predict lymph node metastasis...
- Prognostic factors in patients with minor salivary gland carcinoma of the oral cavity and oropharynxJose F Carrillo
Head and Neck Department, Instituto Nacional de Cancerologia, Mexico City, Mexico
Head Neck 33:1406-12. 2011..This study was performed to define prognostic factors and management of minor salivary gland carcinoma of the oral cavity and oropharynx ...
- Expression of c-kit and Slug correlates with invasion and metastasis of salivary adenoid cystic carcinomaYaling Tang
State Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases, Sichuan University, No 14, Sec 3, Renminnan Road, Chengdu Sichuan 610041, People s Republic of China
Oral Oncol 46:311-6. 2010..05). Furthermore, there was a significant association between the positive expression of c-kit and that of Slug (P=0.046). These findings indicated that c-kit/Slug pathway might participate in the invasion and metastasis of salivary ACC...
- Polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma: a review and comparison of immunohistochemical markersMark R Darling
Division of Oral Pathology, School of Oral Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag X1, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Oral Oncol 38:641-5. 2002..The potential discriminating value of immunohistochemistry between cases of PLGA and ACC still remains controversial...
- Perineural invasion in adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands: a valid prognostic indicator?A William Barrett
Department of Histopathology, Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Holtye Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex RH19 3DZ, UK
Oral Oncol 45:936-40. 2009..Even if the data are equivocal, many head and neck surgeons and oncologists take account of histologically proved perineural invasion when planning treatment for adenoid cystic carcinoma...
- Activation of the EGFR/ERK pathway in high-grade mucoepidermoid carcinomas of the salivary glandsB Lujan
Department of Pathology, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Villarroel, 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Br J Cancer 103:510-6. 2010..High-grade tumours usually have an aggressive biological course and they require additional oncological treatment after surgery...
- Expression of PLUNC family members in benign and malignant salivary gland tumoursP A Vargas
Department of Oral Pathology, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Oral Dis 14:613-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine the expression of PLUNC proteins in benign and malignant salivary gland tumours and thus their potential use as diagnostic and / or prognostic tools...
- Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of salivary glands, containing the ETV6-NTRK3 fusion gene: a hitherto undescribed salivary gland tumor entityAlena Skalova
Department of Pathology, Charles University, Pilsen, Czech Republic
Am J Surg Pathol 34:599-608. 2010..Thus, our results strongly support the concept that MASC and AciCC are different entities...
- Salivary gland tumours in a Mexican sample. A retrospective studyC Ledesma-Montes
Laboratorio de Patologia Bucal Facultad de Odontologia UNAM Mexico
Med Oral 7:324-30. 2002..We found a high proportion of salivary gland neoplasms in children...
- Salivary gland cancer in Finland 1991--96: an evaluation of 237 casesHeikki Luukkaa
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Acta Otolaryngol 125:207-14. 2005..In this material consisting of various salivary gland carcinomas, stage I, male gender and age were the most powerful predictors of patient outcome...
- MUC4 and ERBB2 expression in major and minor salivary gland mucoepidermoid carcinomaDonald T Weed
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1475 NW 12th Avenue, Suite 4027, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Head Neck 26:353-64. 2004..This study investigates MUC4 and ErbB2 receptor expression in major and minor salivary gland mucoepidermoid carcinoma and correlates patterns of expression with clinical outcomes...
- High incidence of lymph node metastasis in major salivary gland cancerEberhard Stennert
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:720-3. 2003..To analyze the incidence and risk factors for clinically apparent and occult lymph node metastases in patients with major salivary gland cancers...
- Salivary gland neoplasms in oral and maxillofacial regions: a 23-year retrospective study of 6982 cases in an eastern Chinese populationZ Tian
Department of Oral Pathology, Ninth People s Hospital, College of Stomatology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine, Shanghai Key Laboratory of Stomatology and Shanghai Research Institute of Stomatology, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:235-42. 2010There is little information in the English-language literature about the epidemiology of salivary gland neoplasms in the eastern Chinese population...
- Intraoral minor salivary gland neoplasms: review of 213 casesWei Yung Yih
Department of Pathology and Radiology, Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry, Portland 97239 3098, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:805-10. 2005..This study reviews a large series of benign and malignant salivary gland tumors of the oral region and determines the incidence and the correlation of the histopathologic features with the clinical characteristics...
- Salivary gland carcinoma: independent prognostic factors for locoregional control, distant metastases, and overall survival: results of the Dutch head and neck oncology cooperative groupChris H J Terhaard
Department of Radiotherapy of the UMC Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3583 CX, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Head Neck 26:681-92; discussion 692-3. 2004....
- Intraoral minor salivary gland tumors in a Chinese population: a retrospective study on 737 casesDan Wang
Department of Oral Pathology, West China College of Stomatology, Sichuan University, Sichuan, PR China
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:94-100. 2007..This study aimed to investigate the diverse histopathological types and distribution characteristics of epithelial minor salivary gland tumors (MSGTs) in a Chinese population...
- Cellular telephones and cancer--a nationwide cohort study in DenmarkC Johansen
Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Danish Cancer Society, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:203-7. 2001..Use of cellular telephones is increasing exponentially and has become part of everyday life. Concerns about possible carcinogenic effects of radiofrequency signals have been raised, although they are based on limited scientific evidence...
- Salivary gland tumoursP M Speight
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, UK
Oral Dis 8:229-40. 2002..Large malignancies tend to have a poor prognosis regardless of grade and even high-grade neoplasms may do well when they are small. A helpful guide to management of salivary cancers is the '4 cm rule'...
- Clinical analysis of salivary gland tumor cases in West China in past 50 yearsLong Jiang Li
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, West China College of Stomatology, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, PR China
Oral Oncol 44:187-92. 2008..The parotid gland and palate were the most common locations of salivary gland tumors. Pleomorphic adenoma and mucoepidermoid carcinoma were the most frequent benign and malignant tumors, respectively...
- Expressions of nuclear factor kappaB, inducible nitric oxide synthase, and vascular endothelial growth factor in adenoid cystic carcinoma of salivary glands: correlations with the angiogenesis and clinical outcomeJiali Zhang
Key Lab for Oral Biomedical Engineering, Ministry of Education, School of Stomatology, Wuhan University, Wuhan, PR China
Clin Cancer Res 11:7334-43. 2005....
- Relative frequency of intra-oral minor salivary gland tumors: a study of 380 cases from northern California and comparison to reports from other parts of the worldAmos Buchner
Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Oral Pathol Med 36:207-14. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the relative frequency and distribution of IMSGT in an oral pathology biopsy service and to compare the data with similar studies from different parts of the world...
- TGF-beta1 promotes migration and invasion of salivary adenoid cystic carcinomaL Dong
Laboratory of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, 22 Zhongguancun Nandajie, Haidian District, Beijing 100081, PR China
J Dent Res 90:804-9. 2011..Moreover, we found that TGF-β1 expression was significantly increased in human primary SACC samples with metastasis. Taken together, our results suggest that TGF-β1 may play a crucial role in SACC metastasis...
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma: a clinicopathologic study of 80 patients with special reference to histological gradingM S Brandwein
Department of Otolaryngology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 11021, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:835-45. 2001..e., small islands and individual cells vs cohesive islands]) is necessary. We propose a modified grading schema, which enhances predictability and provides much needed reproducibility...
- EWSR1-ATF1 fusion is a novel and consistent finding in hyalinizing clear-cell carcinoma of salivary glandCristina R Antonescu
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 50:559-70. 2011..The distinction from MEC is particularly important, as conventional MEC grading schemes overgrade these indolent HCCCs, potentially impacting on treatment...
- Expression of the int-1 gene in transgenic mice is associated with mammary gland hyperplasia and adenocarcinomas in male and female miceA S Tsukamoto
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco 94143
Cell 55:619-25. 1988..Mammary and (less frequently) salivary adenocarcinomas occur in these animals at rates indicating that transcriptional activation of int-1 and associated hyperplasia are initiating events in multistep carcinogenesis...
- 11q21 rearrangement is a frequent and highly specific genetic alteration in mucoepidermoid carcinomaTill Sebastian Clauditz
Department of Pathology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistraße, Hamburg, Germany
Diagn Mol Pathol 21:134-7. 2012..It is concluded that MECT1-MAML2 gene fusion is a highly specific genetic alteration in MEC with predominance in low-grade and intermediate-grade tumors...
- Myoepithelioma--new concepts of histology and classification: a light and electron microscopic studyI Dardick
Department of Pathology, Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Ultrastruct Pathol 13:187-224. 1989..As a result of the current review of myoepitheliomas and the description of similar lesions in the literature, it is our contention that salivary gland myoepitheliomas are not as rare as has been purported...
- Prognostic values of pathologic findings and hypoxia markers in 21 patients with salivary duct carcinomaJong Lyel Roh
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Surg Oncol 97:596-600. 2008..Salivary duct carcinoma (SDC) is associated with aggressive clinical behavior...
- Coexpression of hypoxia-inducible factor-2α, TWIST2, and SIP1 may correlate with invasion and metastasis of salivary adenoid cystic carcinomaChenchen Zhou
State Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
J Oral Pathol Med 41:424-31. 2012..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the relationship between hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF)-2α, TWIST2, and SIP1 expression and the invasion and metastasis in ACC of salivary gland...
- Obligatory requirement of sulfation for P-selectin binding to human salivary gland carcinoma Acc-M cells and breast carcinoma ZR-75-30 cellsYan Qing Ma
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
J Immunol 168:1690-6. 2002..Our results thus indicate that sulfation is essential for adhesion of nonblood-borne, epithelial-like human cancer cells to P-selectin...
- Developmental transcription factor EN1--a novel biomarker in human salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinomaDiana Bell
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 118:1288-92. 2012..Immunohistochemical analysis of EN1 in biopsy specimens obtained for diagnostic purposes and/or surgically resected material may reveal that EN1 is a biologic predictor of poor prognosis in patients with salivary ACC...
- Large scale molecular analysis identifies genes with altered expression in salivary adenoid cystic carcinomaHenry F Frierson
Department of Pathology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 0214, USA
Am J Pathol 161:1315-23. 2002....
- Clinical and immunohistologic typing of salivary duct carcinoma: a report of 50 casesMichael Jaehne
Ear, Nose and Throat Department, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Cancer 103:2526-33. 2005..The authors analyzed the clinical, molecular, and genetic profile of SDC and identified prognostic factors...
- A study of the extracellular matrix in salivary gland tumorsR Raitz
Department of Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, Braz Cubas University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Oral Pathol Med 32:290-6. 2003..This study was undertaken to discuss the extracellular matrix (ECM) role in morphogenesis and cellular differentiation of salivary gland tumors originating from the intercalated duct...
- Prognostic value of apoptosis and apoptosis-associated proteins in salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinomaLin Jia
Molecular Pathology, Department of Oral Restitution, Division of Oral Health Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Pathol Int 54:217-23. 2004..038). The present study suggests that p53 expression and AI can be useful as prognostic values; bcl-2 protein plays a role in the down-regulation of apoptosis and is also potentially useful as a prognostic parameter in salivary gland ACC...
- Warthin tumor: a curious entity--case reports and review of literatureAlexandra Faur
Department of Pathology, Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Timisoara, Romania
Rom J Morphol Embryol 50:269-73. 2009..The standard and the histological and immunohistochemical techniques highlighted the complex and variable microscopical appearance of Warthin tumor that the pathologist should consider when a diagnosis for this tumor is to be considered...
- Salivary gland tumors in a Brazilian population: a retrospective study of 496 casesF A Ito
Semiology and Oral Pathology, Dental School, University of Campinas, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:533-6. 2005..Pleomorphic adenoma was the most frequent tumor representing 54.2% of all cases, followed by mucoepidermoid carcinoma (13.5%), Warthin's tumor (8.5%) and adenoid cystic carcinoma (7.9%)...
- Expression of Cyr61 in primary salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma and its relation to Ki-67 and prognosisQiong Lan Tang
Department of Pathology, The Sun Yet sen Memorial Hospital Second Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510120, China
Oral Oncol 47:365-70. 2011..05). Cyr61 expression is significantly correlated with Ki-67 expression and may have potential value in screening high-risk cases for recurrence and metastasis, as well as identifying poor prognosis in SACC patients...
- Salivary gland tumor: a review of 599 cases in a Brazilian populationFlavia Aparecida de Oliveira
Instituto de Patologia Tropical e Saúde Pública of the Universidade Federal de Goiás, Goiania GO, Brazil
Head Neck Pathol 3:271-5. 2009..05). In conclusion, women and the parotid gland were the most affected and pleomorphic adenoma was the most frequent lesion, followed by adenoid cystic carcinoma and Warthin's tumor...
- Selective immunohistochemical comparison of polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma and adenoid cystic carcinomaDavid Beltran
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:415-23. 2006..This study examines the potential use of c-kit, Ki-67, smooth muscle actin (SMA), and muscle-specific actin (MSA) as ancillary markers for distinguishing PLGA from ACC...
- Expression of RUNX3 in salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma: implications for tumor progression and prognosisJian Feng He
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hospital of Stomatology, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, 395 Yan an Rd, Hangzhou 310006, Zhejiang Province, PR China
Cancer Sci 99:1334-40. 2008..043). Our results demonstrate the expression of RUNX3 in normal salivary glands and salivary ACCs. The low level of RUNX3 protein in salivary ACCs might play a pivotal role in tumor progression and have prognostic values in ACCs...
- Glucose transporter type 1 expression are associated with poor prognosis in patients with salivary gland tumorsYusuke Mori
Department of Maxillofacial Diagnostic Science, Division of Pathology, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaokacyo, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 238 8580, Japan
Oral Oncol 43:563-9. 2007..042) and GLUT1 expression (p=0.022). These results suggest that GLUT1 expression may provide useful prognostic information in patients with salivary gland carcinoma...
- Diagnosis and treatment of epithelial salivary gland tumours in children and adolescentsG Y Yu
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Peking University School of Stomatology, Beijing 100081, PR China
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:389-92. 2002In a series of 2,871 epithelial salivary gland neoplasms managed in the Peking University School of Stomatology between 1974 and 1999, 86 arose in children <16 years of age (52 parotid, 12 submandibular gland, 2 sublingual gland, and ..
- Cisplatin, epirubicin and 5-fluorouracil combination chemotherapy for recurrent carcinoma of the salivary glandM Airoldi
Clinica Medica II, , Italy
Tumori 75:252-6. 1989..Median overall survival was 8+ months; 14+ months for responders and 4 months for nonresponders. The major toxic effects were nausea/vomiting and alopecia; myelosuppression was less frequent and usually not severe...
- Combined treatment of malignant salivary gland tumours with intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and carbon ions: COSMICAlexandra D Jensen
Dept, of Radiation Oncology, INF 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Cancer 10:546. 2010....
- Expression of p53 tumor suppressor gene in adenoid cystic and mucoepidermoid carcinomas of the salivary glandsT Kiyoshima
Department of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, Kyushu University, 3-1-1 Maidashi, Higashi-ku, 812-8582, Fukuoka, Japan
Oral Oncol 37:315-22. 2001..The p53 immunopositivity in MEC correlated to the histological grade. The Ki-67 immunostaining ratio was also significantly related to the histological grade and the clinical course in MEC...
- Review of fine-needle aspiration cytology of salivary gland neoplasms, with emphasis on differential diagnosisPerkins Mukunyadzi
Department of Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, AR, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 118:S100-15. 2002..In this review, the cytologic features of the major salivary gland neoplasms, the differential diagnoses, and the salient points that, if examined carefully, help achieve a specific ..
- Phenotypic composition of salivary gland tumors: an application of principal [corrected] component analysis to tissue microarray dataHideto Iwafuchi
Department of Pathology and Molecular Diagnostics, Aichi Cancer Center, Nagoya, Japan
Mod Pathol 17:803-10. 2004..Individual subtypes were clustered among the three dimensions of the components. This implies that salivary gland tumors may be well characterized by using only three components...
- NF-kappaB promotes iNOS and VEGF expression in salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma cells and enhances endothelial cell motility in vitroJiali Zhang
Key Laboratory for Oral Biomedical Engineering of Ministry of Education, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Cell Prolif 42:150-61. 2009..However, there still remains a lack of direct evidence to clarify the function of liposaccharide-induced NF-kappaB activity in ACC angiogenesis...
- SIKVAV, a laminin alpha1-derived peptide, interacts with integrins and increases protease activity of a human salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma cell line through the ERK 1/2 signaling pathwayVanessa M Freitas
Universidade de Sao Paulo, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Departamento de Biologia Celular e do Desenvolvimento, Av Prof Lineu Prestes 1524, Ed Biomédicas 1, sala 405, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Am J Pathol 171:124-38. 2007..We propose that SIKVAV increases protease activity of a human salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma cell line through alpha3beta1 and alpha6beta1 integrins and the ERK 1/2 signaling pathway...
- High expression level of geminin predicts a poor clinical outcome in salivary gland carcinomasManabu Yamazaki
Pathology Division, Research Centre for Innovative Oncology, National Cancer Centre Hospital East, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
Histopathology 56:883-92. 2010..To examine the prognostic impact of geminin expression, a negative regulator of DNA replication, in salivary gland carcinomas...
- Differential KIT expression in histological subtypes of adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) of the salivary glandKolja Freier
Abteilung Molekulare Genetik B060, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Oral Oncol 41:934-9. 2005..1% (3/49) of tumors analyzed. Our results implicate that specific KIT tyrosine kinase inhibitors such as imatinib, might be used in future therapeutic approaches against subgroups of ACC...
- Expression of cyclooxygenase-2, Bcl-2 and Ki-67 in pleomorphic adenoma with special reference to tumor proliferation and apoptosisTakayuki Aoki
Department of Oral Surgery, Tokai University School of Medicine, Bohseidai, Isehara, Kanagawa 259 1193, Japan
Oral Oncol 40:954-9. 2004..97 > 0.05, r = -0.07). It is suggested that COX-2 may inhibit apoptosis mediating Bcl-2 expression in pleomorphic adenoma, rather than playing a role in cell proliferation...
- Update on selected salivary gland neoplasmsJonathan B McHugh
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:1763-74. 2009..3% of all malignancies. In addition to their rarity, diagnosing these tumors can be challenging given the histologic overlap among various subtypes, their morphologic heterogeneity, and the recent recognition of new entities...
- The salivary tip of the p53 mutagenesis iceberg: novel insightsOfer Ben-Izhak
Department of Pathology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Cancer Biomark 5:23-31. 2009....
- Primary non-Hodgkin's lymphomas of the major salivary glandsJong Lyel Roh
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Surg Oncol 97:35-9. 2008..The clinical course of primary salivary gland lymphomas has received little attention...
- Salivary gland tumors in an Iranian population: a retrospective study of 130 casesMohammad Hussein Ansari
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental School, University of Medical Sciences, Hamedan, Iran
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2187-94. 2007..In the absence of epidemiologic studies of these neoplasms in an Iranian population, we conducted a preliminary survey of 130 cases over the last 20 years in Hamedan, Iran...
- Hierarchical cluster analysis of myoepithelial/basal cell markers in adenoid cystic carcinoma and polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinomaManju L Prasad
Department of Pathology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Mod Pathol 21:105-14. 2008....
- Down regulation and nuclear localization of human beta-defensin-1 in pleomorphic adenomas of salivary glandsAnnette Pantelis
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Surgery, University of Bonn, D 53105 Bonn, Germany
Oral Oncol 45:526-30. 2009..These data support the hypothesis that hBD-1 might be a potential tumor suppressor also in benign salivary gland tumors in addition to other genetic alterations...
- Salivary gland mucoepidermoid carcinoma is a clinically, morphologically and genetically heterogeneous entity: a clinicopathological study of 40 cases with emphasis on grading, histological variants and presence of the t(11;19) translocationStephan Schwarz
Department of Pathology, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Histopathology 58:557-70. 2011..To correlate World Health Organization (WHO) grade, patient's outcome and presence of t(11;19) to histological tumour variants in 40 well-characterized mucoepidermoid carcinomas (MECs)...
- Malignant epithelial salivary gland tumors in northern Finland: incidence and clinical characteristicsPetri Koivunen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Oulu University Hospital, Finland
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 259:146-9. 2002..Of all the malignant epithelial salivary gland tumors analyzed in our study, fine-needle aspiration cytology correctly indicated malignancy in only 28% of the cases...
- Salivary gland tumors: a single institution experience in IndiaKrishnaraj Subhashraj
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:635-8. 2008..Demographic data from these studies should help us to a better understanding of the biological and clinical characteristics of the disease...
- Intraductal carcinoma is the precursor of carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma and is often associated with dysfunctional p53S Ihrler
Institute of Pathology, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
Histopathology 51:362-71. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate the morphology of intracapsular CEPA...
- Incidence of carcinoma of the major salivary glands according to the WHO classification, 1992 to 2006: a population-based study in the United StatesHouda Boukheris
Radiation Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, Department of Health and Human Services, National Cancer Institute NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:2899-906. 2009..Carcinomas of the major salivary glands (M-SGC) comprise a morphologically diverse group of rare tumors of largely unknown cause. To gain insight into etiology, we evaluated incidence of M-SGC using the WHO classification schema (WHO-2005)...
- Genetic and expression analysis of HER-2 and EGFR genes in salivary duct carcinoma: empirical and therapeutic significanceMichelle D Williams
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:2266-74. 2010..Because of the potential utilization of these markers as treatment targets, we evaluated protein and gene status by several techniques to determine complementary value...
- Radiotherapy for advanced adenoid cystic carcinoma: neutrons, photons or mixed beam?P E Huber
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Radiother Oncol 59:161-7. 2001..Local control, survival, distant failure, and complications were analyzed...
- Salivary gland tumors in a Brazilian population: a retrospective study of 124 casesPablo Agustin Vargas
Division of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Odontology of Piracicaba UNICAMP, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculty of Medicine, University of São Paoulo, Brazil
Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 57:271-6. 2002..Salivary gland tumors constitute a highly heterogeneous histopathologic group. There are few epidemiological studies of large series of benign and malignant salivary gland tumors in Brazil...
- Genetic profiling reveals cross-contamination and misidentification of 6 adenoid cystic carcinoma cell lines: ACC2, ACC3, ACCM, ACCNS, ACCS and CAC2Janyaporn Phuchareon
Head and Neck Cancer Research Laboratory, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, School of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6040. 2009..These observations suggest that future studies using ACC cell lines should include cell line authentication to avoid the use of contaminated or non-human cells...
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the major salivary glands: clinical and histopathologic analysis of 234 cases with evaluation of grading criteriaR K Goode
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Cancer 82:1217-24. 1998..The current study investigated the usefulness of these features in determining the prognoses of patients with mucoepidermoid carcinomas of the major salivary glands...
- Management and outcome of patients with malignant salivary gland tumorsR Bryan Bell
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Service, Legacy Emanuel Hospital and Health Center, Portland, OR, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:917-28. 2005..investigation is to report our experience with the management of patients with a variety of malignant salivary gland neoplasms that were treated with various combinations of surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy and to review ..
- Intraoral minor salivary gland neoplasm: a single institution experience of 80 casesP Jansisyanont
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 31:257-61. 2002..3%) was much higher than that found in other studies. Of the malignant tumours, 54.1% were mucoepidermoid carcinomas. This study differs from many previous reviews that were published by pathologists rather than a surgical unit...
- Polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma of the salivary glands with transformation to high-grade carcinomaR H W Simpson
Department of Histopathology, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter, UK
Histopathology 41:250-9. 2002..e. dedifferentiation. In this paper, we describe the clinicopathological and immunohistochemical findings in two further examples...
- Intraoral minor salivary gland tumors: a clinicopathological study of 82 casesM Toida
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Gifu University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Yanagido, Gifu 501 1194, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:528-32. 2005....
- Myoepithelioma: definitions and diagnostic criteriaI Dardick
Department of Pathology, Toronto Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Ultrastruct Pathol 19:335-45. 1995....
- CpG island methylation profiling in human salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinomaAchim Bell
Department of Pathology and Cancer Institute, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Cancer 117:2898-909. 2011....
- Microarray screening for target genes of the proto-oncogene PLAG1Marianne L Voz
Laboratory for Molecular Oncology, Center for Human Genetics, KU Leuven and Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Herestraat 49, Leuven B 3000, Belgium
Oncogene 23:179-91. 2004..Concordance between these two sets of experiments pinpointed 12 genes that were significantly and consistently upregulated in pleomorphic adenomas and in PLAG1-expressing cells, identifying them as putative PLAG1 targets in these tumors...
- Loss of PTEN is associated with elevated EGFR and HER2 expression and worse prognosis in salivary gland cancerT Ettl
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Br J Cancer 106:719-26. 2012..Activity of the tumour-suppressor gene PTEN is reduced in different types of cancer and implicates non-responsiveness to targeted therapy. This study evaluates the gene and protein status of PTEN in salivary gland carcinomas...
- Application of immunohistochemistry to the diagnosis of salivary gland tumorsV C de Araujo
Department of Oral Pathology, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 8:195-202. 2000..CK13 was expressed only by canalicular adenoma and mucoepidermoid carcinoma cells. This study showed that the panel of antibodies employed is effective in distinguishing among salivary gland tumors...
- MYB expression and translocation in adenoid cystic carcinomas and other salivary gland tumors with clinicopathologic correlationRobert B West
Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, CA, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 35:92-9. 2011..A chromosomal translocation involving the genes encoding the transcription factors, MYB and NFIB, has been recently discovered in these tumors...
- Treatment relevant target immunophenotyping of 139 salivary gland carcinomas (SGCs)Laura D Locati
Head and Neck Unit, Medical Oncology Department, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Via Venezian 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
Oral Oncol 45:986-90. 2009..ER and PgR positivity was never detected. This TK-hormonal receptors analysis identify a histotype-specific profiles that could be exploited for better selecting patients for innovative treatment within prospective studies...
- Intraoral minor salivary gland tumors: a review of 75 cases in a Libyan populationM A Jaber
Faculty of Dentistry, Ajman University of Science and Technology, Ajman, United Arab Emirates
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:150-4. 2006..Referral to a multidisciplinary head and neck clinic following diagnosis is strongly recommended...
- Local-regional recurrence after surgery without postoperative irradiation for carcinomas of the major salivary glands: implications for adjuvant therapyAllen M Chen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California, San Francisco UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67:982-7. 2007..To determine factors predictive of local-regional recurrence (LRR) after surgery alone for carcinomas of the major salivary glands in an attempt to evaluate the potential role of postoperative radiation therapy...
- Immunohistochemical study of c-erbB-2 oncoprotein overexpression in human major salivary gland carcinoma: an indicator of aggressivenessS Sugano
Pathology Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Laryngoscope 102:923-7. 1992..05). We conclude that immunohistochemical positivity for c-erbB-2 is an indicator of aggressiveness in both adenocarcinoma and adenocarcinoma in pleomorphic adenoma of the major salivary glands...
- Wnt pathway is involved in pleomorphic adenomas induced by overexpression of PLAG1 in transgenic miceXudong Zhao
Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Department of Medical Genetics, Institute of Health Science, Shanghai Institutes for Biologic Sciences of Chinese Academy of Sciences and Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai, China
Int J Cancer 118:643-8. 2006....
- Long-term outcome of patients treated by radiation therapy alone for salivary gland carcinomasAllen M Chen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California, San Francisco UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, CA 94143 1708, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:1044-50. 2006..To review a single-institution experience with the management of salivary gland cancers treated by radiation alone...
- Expression of Mcm-2, Ki-67 and geminin in benign and malignant salivary gland tumoursP A Vargas
Department of Oral Pathology, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Oral Pathol Med 37:309-18. 2008..The aims of this study were to determine the expression of Mcm-2, Ki-67 and geminin in salivary gland (SG) tumours, and to evaluate their usefulness for diagnosis or for prediction of tumour behaviour...
- Assessment of CD43 expression in adenoid cystic carcinomas, polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinomas, and monomorphic adenomasVictoria L Woo
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, Division of Oral Pathology, New York, NY 11040, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:495-500. 2006..Our aim was to investigate CD43 immunoreactivity in ACCs, PLGAs, and MAs...
- Intra-oral minor salivary gland tumors: a clinicopathological study of 546 casesFábio Ramôa Pires
Oral Pathology Section, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, 3401 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, United States
Oral Oncol 43:463-70. 2007..Large series of intra-oral minor salivary gland tumors help to understand their clinical and pathological aspects and consequently their proper management and prognosis...
- IMMUNOCHEMISTRY OF SALIVARY MUCINS IN DENTAL DISEASERobert Cohen; Fiscal Year: 1992..Such procedures may aid in the identification of the cells of origin of these tumors, and in the identification of mucin epitopes in poorly differentiated salivary gland neoplasms.
- DEVELOPMENT OF SALIVARY GLAND SECRETORY FUNCTIONLESLIE CUTLER; Fiscal Year: 1990..The information gained will be useful in understanding the chemical and structural basis of salivary gland neoplasms as well as a variety of diseases affecting salivary glands such as cystic fibrosis and Sjogren's Syndrome.
- Cortactin in Cell Motility and InvasionScott Weed; Fiscal Year: 2007..Completion of the proposed Aims will provide a better understanding of how cortactin functions in cell migration and tumor cell invasion/metastasis. ..
- Rap 1-Mediated Protein Transport in Oral CancerNISHA D SILVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..The significance of this research is that it explores an important and novel mechanism for nucleocytoplasmic transport of pro-proliferative proteins in oral cancer, thereby identifying novel treatment targets. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Tumor suppressor gene at 6q in adenoid cystic carcinomaChristopher Moskaluk; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since AGO appears to have a smaller number of genetic changes than these other malignancies, it may serve as a simpler system to identify the 6q tumor suppressor gene. ..
- Enhancement of Ad-p53 Therapy with Intratumoral TaxaneGEORGE YOO; Fiscal Year: 2004..Favorable data from the proposed project will lead to the development of clinical trials using intratumoral and intra-wound injections of docetaxel and Ad-p53. ..
- Identification of Green Tea Polyphenol-Targeted GenesStephen Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2004..Data generated from this proposal may reveal novel drug targets for treatment of head and neck cancer. ..
- RAP1A AND RAP1B IN THE DIAGNOSIS AND TMT - ORAL CANCERNISHA D SILVA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The third segment involves the design of a protocol to investigate the use of rap1A in gene therapy to treat residual epithelial dysplasia or squamous cell carcinoma lesions. ..
- RADIATION INDUCED THYROID CANCERARTHUR SCHNEIDER; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will focus on rearrangements of the ret protooncogene in thyroid neoplasms and the NF2 tumor suppressor gene in neural tumors. ..
- Eda/Edar Regulation of Embryonic SMG DevelopmentTina Jaskoll; Fiscal Year: 2007....