Genomes and Genes
Summary: Rare chronic inflammatory disease involving the small blood vessels. It is of unknown etiology and characterized by mucocutaneous ulceration in the mouth and genital region and uveitis with hypopyon. The neuro-ocular form may cause blindness and death. SYNOVITIS; THROMBOPHLEBITIS; gastrointestinal ulcerations; RETINAL VASCULITIS; and OPTIC ATROPHY may occur as well.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH5
- An acute psychosis access revealing neurological involvement of Behçet's disease: A case report
- Bone lesion complicating Behçet's disease
- Coexisting Behcet and Crohn's diseases in the same family
- Behçet’s disease and sarcoidosis: a rare association
- The development of Behçet's disease in a patient with chronic myeloid Leukemia
Publications287 found, 100 shown here
- Genome-wide association study identifies variants in the MHC class I, IL10, and IL23R-IL12RB2 regions associated with Behçet's diseaseElaine F Remmers
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, Bethesda, MD, USA
Nat Genet 42:698-702. 2010..34-1.58) and the IL23R-IL12RB2 locus (rs924080, P = 6.69 x 10(-9), OR = 1.28, 95% CI 1.18-1.39). The disease-associated IL10 variant (the rs1518111 A allele) was associated with diminished mRNA expression and low protein production...
- Genome-wide association studies identify IL23R-IL12RB2 and IL10 as Behçet's disease susceptibility lociNobuhisa Mizuki
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yokohama City University, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Nat Genet 42:703-6. 2010..9 x 10(-11), odds ratio = 1.35; rs1800871 in IL10, P = 1.0 x 10(-14), odds ratio = 1.45)...
- Upregulated IL-23 and IL-17 in Behçet patients with active uveitisWei Chi
Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:3058-64. 2008..The interleukin (IL)-23/IL-17 pathway has been demonstrated to be involved in the development and maintenance of certain inflammatory diseases. This study was designed to investigate the role of IL-23 and IL-17 in BD...
- New insights into the pathogenesis of Behçet's diseaseMarc Pineton de Chambrun
Department of Internal Medicine and Laboratory I3 Immunology, Immunopathology, Immunotherapy, UMR CNRS 7211, INSERM U959, Groupe Hospitalier La Pitié Salpêtrière, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6, Paris, France
Autoimmun Rev 11:687-98. 2012..Altogether, the recent progresses in the knowledge of BD pathogenesis pave the way for innovative therapy...
- HLA-B51/B5 and the risk of Behçet's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis of case-control genetic association studiesMathilde de Menthon
Hôpital Cochin Université Paris René Descartes, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Arthritis Rheum 61:1287-96. 2009..To quantify by meta-analysis the genetic effect of the HLA-B5 or HLA-B51 (HLA-B51/B5) allele on the risk of developing Behçet's disease (BD) and to look for potential effect modifiers...
- Anti-TNF agents for Behçet's disease: analysis of published data on 369 patientsAikaterini Arida
First Department of Propedeutic and Internal Medicine, Laikon Hospital, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
Semin Arthritis Rheum 41:61-70. 2011..We evaluated published data on their efficacy and safety for patients with unmet medical needs due to severe disease manifestations, including ocular, gastrointestinal, and central nervous system involvement...
- Efficacy of infliximab for induction and maintenance of remission in intestinal Behçet's diseaseMakoto Naganuma
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Inflamm Bowel Dis 14:1259-64. 2008..Although several cases have been reported that infliximab is effective for induction of remission, the efficacy of infliximab for maintaining remission is unknown...
- Health- and vision-related quality of life in patients receiving infliximab therapy for Behcet uveitisTsutomu Sakai
Department of Ophthalmology, Jikei University School of Medicine, 3 25 8 Nishishimbashi, Minato ku, Tokyo 105 8461, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 97:338-42. 2013..To evaluate the changes in health-related and vision-related quality of life (HR-QoL and VR-QoL) in patients with Behçet uveitis (BU) receiving infliximab therapy...
- Behçet's diseaseShunsei Hirohata
Department of Internal Medicine, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Arthritis Res Ther 5:139-46. 2003..As regards the treatment, anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha therapy has been shown to be effective for mucocutaneous symptoms as well as for sight-threatening panuveitis, although a randomized, controlled trial is required...
- Clinical patterns of neurological involvement in Behçet's disease: evaluation of 200 patients. The Neuro-Behçet Study GroupG Akman-Demir
Department of Neurology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Istanbul, Turkey
Brain 122:2171-82. 1999..Parenchymal involvement, elevated protein and/or pleocytosis in the CSF, 'brainstem +' type involvement, primary or secondary progressive course and relapse during steroid tapering were all associated with a poorer prognosis...
- Treatment of intestinal Behçet's syndrome with chimeric tumour necrosis factor alpha antibodyS P Travis
Gastroenterology Unit, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth PL6 8DH, UK
Gut 49:725-8. 2001..Infliximab could have a role for inducing remission in Behçet's syndrome...
- Cytokine profile in Behçet's disease patients. Relationship with disease activityKamel Hamzaoui
Scand J Rheumatol 31:205-10. 2002..To analyse proinflammatory Th1 and Th2 cytokines in patients with Behçet's disease (BD) in relation to disease activity...
- Prevalence of Behçet's disease in Istanbul, TurkeyGulsevim Azizlerli
Department of Dermatology, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Dermatol 42:803-6. 2003..Three previous epidemiologic surveys have been carried out in different regions of Turkey...
- Autoimmunity vs autoinflammation in Behcet's disease: do we oversimplify a complex disorder?H Direskeneli
Division of Rheumatology, Marmara University Hospital, Tophanelioglu cad 13 15, Altunizade, Istanbul, Turkey
Rheumatology (Oxford) 45:1461-5. 2006
- EULAR recommendations for the management of Behçet diseaseG Hatemi
Department of Internal Medicine, Cerrahpasa Medical School, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Rheum Dis 67:1656-62. 2008..To develop evidence-based European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) recommendations for the management of Behçet disease (BD) supplemented where necessary by expert opinion...
- The long-term mortality and morbidity of Behçet syndrome: a 2-decade outcome survey of 387 patients followed at a dedicated centerEmire Kural-Seyahi
Behçet Syndrome Research Center, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, Turkey
Medicine (Baltimore) 82:60-76. 2003..There were no female patients with arterial aneurysms. Severely impaired vision did not always mean an eventual loss of useful vision, and those patients with a late onset of eye disease had a better visual prognosis...
- Ocular features of Behcet's disease: an international collaborative studyNobuyoshi Kitaichi
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 91:1579-82. 2007..To investigate the clinical features of ocular lesions in Behçet's disease in different countries...
- Anti-tumor necrosis factor monoclonal antibody therapy for gastrointestinal BehÃ§et's disease: a case reportP V Hassard
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Gastroenterology 120:995-9. 2001..This report suggests that infliximab may be an effective new therapy for gastrointestinal BD, and perhaps other manifestations of BD as well...
- Behçet's ileocolitis: successful treatment with tumor necrosis factor-alpha antibody (infliximab) therapy: report of a caseMichael T Kram
Department of Gastroenterology, Nyack Hospital, New York, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 46:118-21. 2003..To our knowledge this is the second reported case of Behçet's ileocolitis successfully treated with anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy...
- Role of IL-22- and TNF-α-producing Th22 cells in uveitis patients with Behcet's diseaseSunao Sugita
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School of Medicine and Dental Sciences, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
J Immunol 190:5799-808. 2013..Our results suggest that inflammatory cytokines IL-22 and TNF-α may play a key role in the ocular immune response in Behçet's disease...
- Prediction of free bowel perforation in patients with intestinal Behçet's disease using clinical and colonoscopic findingsChang Mo Moon
Department of Internal Medicine and Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 250 Seongsanno, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, 120 752, Republic of Korea
Dig Dis Sci 55:2904-11. 2010..Gastrointestinal tract involvement in Behçet's disease (BD) often requires surgical intervention due to serious complications such as intestinal perforation, fistula formation, or massive bleeding...
- IL-23R gene confers susceptibility to Behcet's disease in a Chinese Han populationZhengxuan Jiang
The First Affiliated Hospital, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, and Chongqing Eye Institute, Chongqing 400016, PR China
Ann Rheum Dis 69:1325-8. 2010..This study examined whether IL-23R polymorphisms were associated with susceptibility to this disease in a Chinese Han population...
- Successful treatment of life-threatening intestinal ulcer in Behçet's disease with infliximab: rapid healing of Behçet's ulcer with infliximabJi Hyeon Ju
The Center for Rheumatic Disease, College of Medicine, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Seocho Gu, Seoul, 137 040, South Korea
Clin Rheumatol 26:1383-5. 2007..Another option for anti-TNF therapy could be as bridging management between conservative and surgical treatment...
- Effect of infliximab in progressive neuro-Behçet's syndromeHirotoshi Kikuchi
Department of Internal Medicine, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo 173 8605, Japan
J Neurol Sci 272:99-105. 2008..Since infliximab has been shown to have cytotoxic effects on monocytes/macrophages, the rapid fall of CSF IL-6 after the infusion suggest that infliximab might directly act on such inflammatory cells producing IL-6...
- Development and validation of novel diagnostic criteria for intestinal Behçet's disease in Korean patients with ileocolonic ulcersJae Hee Cheon
Department of Internal Medicine and Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Am J Gastroenterol 104:2492-9. 2009..We conducted this study to develop and validate novel diagnostic criteria for intestinal BD...
- Efficacy of combination therapy of anti-TNF-α antibody infliximab and methotrexate in refractory entero-Behçet's diseaseShigeru Iwata
The First Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Japan, 1 1 Iseigaoka, Yahata Nishi, Kitakyushu, 807 8555, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 21:184-91. 2011....
- A patient with neuro-Behçet's disease is successfully treated with etanercept: further evidence for the value of TNFalpha blockadeJane E Alty
Department of Neurology, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds LS1 3EX, United Kingdom
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 109:279-81. 2007..She showed a remarkable response when treated with the recombinant human TNFalpha receptor protein, etanercept. To the best of our knowledge this is the first report of NB successfully treated with etanercept...
- Development of consensus statements for the diagnosis and management of intestinal Behçet's disease using a modified Delphi approachKenji Kobayashi
Department of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Tokai University School of Medicine, Isehara, Japan
J Gastroenterol 42:737-45. 2007..The objective of this study was to develop consensus-based practice guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of intestinal Behçet's disease by using a modified Delphi approach...
- Infliximab for the treatment of Neuro-Behçet's disease: a case series and review of the literatureNicolo Pipitone
Arcispedale Santa Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 59:285-90. 2008
- Prognostic factors and long-term clinical outcomes for surgical patients with intestinal Behcet's diseaseYoon Suk Jung
Department of Internal Medicine and Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Inflamm Bowel Dis 17:1594-602. 2011..Here we investigated the long-term clinical outcomes and related prognostic factors after surgical treatment for intestinal BD...
- TRIM39 and RNF39 are associated with Behçet's disease independently of HLA-B∗51 and -A∗26Riho Kurata
Department of Molecular Life Science, Tokai University School of Medicine, Isehara, Kanagawa 259 1143, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 401:533-7. 2010..Our findings suggest that RNF39 and TRIM39 are involved in the etiology of BD...
- [Ocular manifestations of Behçet's disease]D Saadoun
CNRS UMR 7087, Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, 47 83, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Rev Med Interne 31:545-50. 2010..Controlled clinical trials are mandatory to define the place of these new immunomodulatory agents in the therapeutic strategy, and especially their use as first-line therapy...
- Behçet disease: evolution of clinical manifestationsHaruko Ideguchi
Center for Rheumatic Diseases, Yokohama City University Medical Center, Yokohama, Japan
Medicine (Baltimore) 90:125-32. 2011..Further assessment may allow the detection of early predictors of the more aggressive disease, which requires more intensive treatment...
- Interleukin-17F gene polymorphisms in Korean patients with Behçet's diseaseWon Cheoul Jang
Department of Chemistry, School of Advanced Science, Dankook University, Cheonan, South Korea
Rheumatol Int 29:173-8. 2008..985). The haplotypes, AG, and GG, have positive and inverse association with BD susceptibility (P<0.001 and P<0.001, respectively). These findings suggest that IL-17 gene SNPs may influence the susceptibility of BD...
- Behçet's disease: an algorithmic approach to its treatmentErkan Alpsoy
Department of Dermatology and Venerology, Akdeniz University School of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Arch Dermatol Res 301:693-702. 2009....
- Interactions between IL17A, IL23R, and STAT4 polymorphisms confer susceptibility to intestinal Behcet's disease in Korean populationEun Soo Kim
Department of Internal Medicine and Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Life Sci 90:740-6. 2012..We therefore performed a study to evaluate whether IL17A, IL23R, and STAT4 polymorphisms are associated with susceptibility to intestinal BD in the Korean population...
- Cranial MRI in Behçet's disease: 134 examinations of 98 patientsG Akman-Demir
Department of Neurology, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Capa, 34390 Istanbul, Turkey
Neuroradiology 45:851-9. 2003..Brain-stem atrophy was seen in 15 patients examined >1 year after an initial parenchymal CNS episode, with secondary progressive cases predominating...
- Association of interleukin-2, interleukin-4 and transforming growth factor-beta gene polymorphisms with Behcet's diseaseFarhad Shahram
Rheumatology Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Clin Exp Rheumatol 29:S28-31. 2011..Cytokine single nucleotide polymorphisms could play a role in the pathophysiology of BD. The results of this study could suggest a tendency towards higher production of IL-2 and lower production of IL-4 in the patients with BD...
- Behcet's disease: from East to WestFereydoun Davatchi
Behcet s Disease Unit, Rheumatology Research Center, Shariati Hospital, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Kargar Avenue, Tehran 14114, Iran
Clin Rheumatol 29:823-33. 2010..ESR was normal in many patients. Diagnosis is based upon clinical manifestations. The International Criteria for Behcet's Disease (ICBD, 2006) may be of help, having a sensitivity of 98.2% and a specificity of 95.6% in Iranian patients...
- Review of the chronology of clinical manifestations in 60 patients with Behçet's diseaseErkan Alpsoy
Department of Dermatology, Akdeniz University School of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Dermatology 207:354-6. 2003..The natural course of Behçet's disease is not fully known...
- Behçet's disease and other autoinflammatory conditions: what's in a name?Hasan Yazici
Clin Exp Rheumatol 23:S1-2. 2005
- Timing of recurrent uveitis in patients with Behcet's disease receiving infliximab treatmentYukiko Yamada
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 95:205-8. 2011..To investigate the relationship between recurrence of uveitis and timing of infliximab in patients with Behçet's disease...
- An update on Behçet's diseaseA Kalayciyan
Department of Dermatology, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 21:1-10. 2007..Recent interesting immunological data promise a way out of the existing dilemma. These findings will be outlined within the context of possible hypotheses and attention will be paid to further investigations that are needed...
- Uveitis in Behçet disease: an analysis of 880 patientsIlknur Tugal-Tutkun
Department of Ophthalmology, Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, 34390 Capa Istanbul, Turkey
Am J Ophthalmol 138:373-80. 2004..We also aimed to compare visual prognosis between male and female sex and between patients who presented before and after 1990...
- The role of streptococcal hypersensitivity in the pathogenesis of Behçet's DiseaseFumio Kaneko
Institute of Dermato Immunology and Allergy, Southern Tohoku Research Institute for Neuroscience, Koriyama, Fukushima, Japan
Eur J Dermatol 18:489-98. 2008..The BD symptoms were thought to be due to vascular reactions as immune responses in correlation with monocyte expressed streptococcal agents...
- Interleukin-1β-regulating antibody XOMA 052 (gevokizumab) in the treatment of acute exacerbations of resistant uveitis of Behcet's disease: an open-label pilot studyAhmet Gul
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Turkey
Ann Rheum Dis 71:563-6. 2012..This pilot study aimed to evaluate the safety, pharmacokinetics and clinical activity of XOMA 052 (gevokizumab), a recombinant humanised anti-interleukin 1β antibody, in Behçet's disease patients with uveitis...
- Critical role of IL-21 in modulating TH17 and regulatory T cells in Behçet diseaseGuillaume Geri
Laboratory I3 Immunology, Immunopathology, Immunotherapy, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
J Allergy Clin Immunol 128:655-64. 2011..Behçet disease (BD) is a chronic systemic inflammatory disorder of unknown etiology...
- Gastrointestinal manifestations of Behçet's diseaseEllen C Ebert
UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
Dig Dis Sci 54:201-7. 2009..Behçet's disease runs a chronic, unpredictable course with exacerbations and remissions which decrease in frequency and severity over time. Death is mainly due to major vessel disease and neurological involvement...
- Behçet's disease, the Silk Road and HLA-B51: historical and geographical perspectivesD H Verity
Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Tissue Antigens 54:213-20. 1999....
- Behçet's syndromeSebahattin Yurdakul
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 22:793-809. 2008....
- Etiopathogenesis of Behcet's diseaseClaudia Mendoza-Pinto
Systemic Autoimmune Diseases Research Unit, HGR 36, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Puebla, Mexico
Autoimmun Rev 9:241-5. 2010..The etiopathogenesis is unknown, although immunological abnormalities, possibly induced by susceptible microbiological pathogens, have been postulated...
- Epidemiology of Adamantiades-Behçet's diseaseC C Zouboulis
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Benjamin Franklin, Free University of Berlin, Germany
Ann Med Interne (Paris) 150:488-98. 1999..Diagnosis can be established 2 to 15 years after the onset of the disease. Male gender, early development of the disease, and HLA-B51 positivity are markers of severe prognosis (mortality rates of 0-6%)...
- TNF-alpha gene 1031 T/C polymorphism in Turkish patients with Behçet's diseaseA Akman
Akedeniz University School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology and Venerology, 07070 Antalya, Turkey
Br J Dermatol 155:350-6. 2006..However, the functional effects of this polymorphism have not yet been determined...
- Behçet's diseaseSara E Marshall
Wright Fleming Institute, Imperial College School of Medicine, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 18:291-311. 2004..This review will focus on recent developments in the understanding of disease pathogenesis and clinical diagnosis, and review the evidence base for both established and new agents in the therapeutic strategy...
- Infliximab effects compared to conventional therapy in the management of retinal vasculitis in Behçet diseaseKhalid F Tabbara
The Eye Center and The Eye Foundation for Research in Ophthalmology, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Am J Ophthalmol 146:845-50.e1. 2008..To assess the outcome of retinal vasculitis in patients with Behçet disease treated with infliximab compared to treatment with conventional therapy...
- Clinicopathologic evaluation of nodular cutaneous lesions of BehÃ§et syndromeC Demirkesen
Department of Pathology, Division of Romatology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, Turkey
Am J Clin Pathol 116:341-6. 2001..Nodular lesions of BehÃ§et syndrome are mainly neutrophilic vascular reactions with histologic features similar to NV but significantly differing from EN associated with other systemic diseases...
- Epidemiological features of Adamantiades-Behçet's disease in Germany and in EuropeC C Zouboulis
German Registry of Adamantiades Behçet s Disease, Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Benjamin Franklin, Free University of Berlin, Germany
Yonsei Med J 38:411-22. 1997..HLA-B5 was confirmed as a marker of severe prognosis. Cardiolipin autoantibodies were associated with cutaneous vasculitis and superficial thrombophlebitis was correlated with systemic vessel involvement...
- Cytomegalovirus colitis in a patient with Behcet's disease receiving tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibitory treatmentIsmail Sari
Dokuz Eylul Universitesi Tip Fakultesi Ic hastaliklari ABD Immunoloji Romatoloji BD 35340 Inciralti, Izmir 35340, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 14:2912-4. 2008..CMV infections should be kept in mind and included in the differential diagnosis of severe gastrointestinal symptoms in patients receiving anti-TNF agents...
- Colonoscopic findings in intestinal BehÃ§et's diseaseC R Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Inflamm Bowel Dis 7:243-9. 2001....
- MRI findings of neuro-Behcet's diseaseAfshin Borhani Haghighi
Transgenic Technology Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Clin Rheumatol 30:765-70. 2011..Incremental pattern in the number of lesions and MRI burdens in patients with parenchymal neuro-Behcet's disease in our longitudinal study may imply an ongoing pathologic process...
- Efficacy of adalimumab in patients with Behçet's disease unsuccessfully treated with infliximabIgnazio Olivieri
Rheumatology Department of Lucania, San Carlo Hospital of Potenza and Madonna delle Grazie Hospital of Matera, Potenza and Matera, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 29:S54-7. 2011..To evaluate the clinical response after switching from infliximab to adalimumab in patients with Behçet's disease (BD)...
- The use of biologic agents in the treatment of ocular manifestations of Behcet's diseaseNicole R Benitah
Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 26:295-303. 2011....
- Evaluation of parenchymal neuro-behçet disease by using susceptibility-weighted imagingS Albayram
Department of Radiology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Kocamustafapasa, Turkey
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32:1050-5. 2011..We evaluated lesion characteristics and probable venous hemorrhage in parenchymal NBD by using SWI, and we compared the imaging results with conventional MR imaging sequences...
- Comparison of infliximab versus ciclosporin during the initial 6-month treatment period in Behçet diseaseYukiko Yamada
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 94:284-8. 2010..To compare the efficacy and safety of infliximab versus ciclosporin A (CsA) in refractory uveoretinitis in Behçet disease...
- Clinical course of intestinal Behcet's disease during the first five yearsYoon Suk Jung
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, Korea
Dig Dis Sci 58:496-503. 2013..We aimed to evaluate the clinical course of intestinal BD during the first 5 years after diagnosis, and to identify factors that could predict the 5-year clinical course...
- Long-term remission after cessation of interferon-α treatment in patients with severe uveitis due to Behçet's diseaseChristoph M E Deuter
Centre for Ophthalmology, Tubingen University Hospital, Tubingen, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 62:2796-805. 2010....
- Remission of intestinal Behçet's disease treated with anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha monoclonal antibody (Infliximab)Jung Hoon Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Yeungnam University College of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
Korean J Intern Med 22:24-7. 2007..For patients with intestinal BD who fail to respond to conventional treatment, infliximab may be a safe and effective new therapeutic option...
- Antitumor necrosis factor-alpha therapy for early postoperative recurrence of gastrointestinal Behçet's disease: report of a caseJeong Sik Byeon
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Dis Colon Rectum 50:672-6. 2007..This report suggests that infliximab may be an effective novel therapy for the management of early postoperative complications and recurrences in gastrointestinal Behçet's disease...
- Natural killer cells control a T-helper 1 response in patients with Behçet's diseaseYukie Yamaguchi
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R80. 2010..We evaluated the regulatory role of natural killer (NK) cells in Th1-biased immune responses in patients with BD...
- Sampling of major histocompatibility complex class I-associated peptidome suggests relatively looser global association of HLA-B*5101 with peptidesDaniel Gebreselassie
Center for Cancer and Immunology Research, Children s Research Institute, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010 2970, USA
Hum Immunol 67:894-906. 2006..We suggest that lower affinity of peptide binding may be the basis for inefficient tolerance to HLA-B*5101-binding self-peptides, a predisposing factor for the development of Behçet disease...
- Genetics of Behçet disease inside and outside the MHCAkira Meguro
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Ann Rheum Dis 69:747-54. 2010..Since the identification of HLA-B*5101 (and more recently of MICA) as a susceptibility locus for BD, the identification of additional genetic locus/loci, whether inside, or perhaps more importantly outside the MHC has clearly stalled...
- Emergency endovascular management of pulmonary artery aneurysms in Behçet's disease: report of two cases and a review of the literatureMurat Cantasdemir
Department of Radiology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, 34300 Kocamustafapasa, Istanbul, Turkey
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 25:533-7. 2002..Pulmonary artery aneurysm embolization in Behçet's disease has been reviewed in the light of relevant literature...
- Adalimumab for sight-threatening uveitis in Behçet's diseaseB Mushtaq
Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, Birmingham, UK
Eye (Lond) 21:824-5. 2007..To describe the clinical outcome of three patients with Behçet's disease maintained on infliximab who were switched to adalimumab therapy...
- Intravitreal infliximab for sight-threatening relapsing uveitis in Behçet disease: a pilot study in 15 patientsNikos Markomichelakis
Ocular Inflammation Immunology Service, Genimatas General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Am J Ophthalmol 154:534-541.e1. 2012..To assess the safety and to conduct a preliminary assessment of efficacy of intravitreal infliximab, an anti-tumor necrosis factor antibody, for sight-threatening relapsing uveitis in Behçet disease...
- Major vessel thrombosis in Behçet's disease: the dilemma of anticoagulant therapy - the approach of rheumatologists from different countriesOshrat E Tayer-Shifman
Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Clin Exp Rheumatol 30:735-40. 2012..Our objective was to raise this therapeutic dilemma and to call for controlled studies to help establish guidelines to address this problem...
- Neutrophilic dermatoses: part IRenan Rangel Bonamigo
Pathology Postgraduate Program and Head of the Dermatology Service, Health Sciences Federal University of Porto Alegre, Brazil
An Bras Dermatol 86:11-25; quiz 26-7. 2011..Major clinical aspects, histopathological changes and management options are discussed based on the results and conclusions of relevant studies recently published and on the authors' experience...
- Genetics in ocular inflammation--basic principlesG R Wallace
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, School of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 19:10-8. 2011..We address the methodologies being utilised, and the results derived so far. The potential and pitfalls of such studies are relevant to the concept of personalised medicine and better defined clinical trials...
- Platelet soluble CD40L and matrix metalloproteinase 9 activity are proinflammatory mediators in Behçet disease patientsIhosvany Fernández Bello
Hematology Unit, Hospital Universitario La Paz IdiPAZ, Madrid, Spain
Thromb Haemost 107:88-98. 2012..We conclude that platelets and megakaryocytes might participate in a positive feedback loop occurring between sCD40L and MMP-9 which would contribute to the proinflammatory state observed in BD...
- Interferon alfa-2a in the treatment of Behçet disease: a randomized placebo-controlled and double-blind studyErkan Alpsoy
Department of Dermatology, Akdeniz University School of Medicine, 07070 Antalya, Turkey
Arch Dermatol 138:467-71. 2002..To determine the therapeutic efficacy of interferon alfa-2a in the treatment of Behçet disease...
- HLA-B*51 and Behçet DiseaseAhmet Gul
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 20:37-43. 2012....
- New insights in the clinical understanding of Behçet's diseaseSung Bin Cho
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Biology Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Yonsei Med J 53:35-42. 2012..These advances have improved the clinical understanding of Behçet's disease and have enabled us to develop new treatment strategies for this intractable disease, which remains one of the leading causes of blindness...
- Identification of novel genetic susceptibility loci for Behçet's disease using a genome-wide association studyYiping Fei
Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 11:R66. 2009..Behçet's disease is a chronic systemic inflammatory disease that remains incompletely understood. Herein, we perform the first genome-wide association study in Behçet's disease...
- Short-term trial of etanercept in Behçet's disease: a double blind, placebo controlled studyMelike Melikoglu
The Behçet s Syndrome Research Center, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
J Rheumatol 32:98-105. 2005..To determine the effect of the tumor necrosis factor-alpha blocker etanercept on the pathergy and monosodium urate (MSU) status and on the mucocutaneous and articular manifestations of patients with Behçet's disease (BD)...
- Azathioprine in severe uveitis of Behçet's diseaseD Saadoun
Hôpital Pitié Salpétrière and Pierre et Marie Curie Paris VI University, Paris, France
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1733-8. 2010..To investigate the efficacy and tolerance of azathioprine in severe uveitis related to Behçet's disease (BD)...
- Relationship between serum infliximab levels and acute uveitis attacks in patients with Behcet diseaseSunao Sugita
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 95:549-52. 2011..To investigate the relationship between the serum concentration of infliximab, a chimeric monoclonal antibody to tumour necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), and its effectiveness in treating uveitis in Behçet disease...
- Pediatric neuro-Behçet's disease responsive to adalimumabAngela Byun Robinson
Division of Pediatric Rheumatology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Pediatr Neurol 43:291-3. 2010..Neuro-Behçet's disease is chronic and may be refractory to treatment. We report on a 12-year-old girl with neuro-Behçet's disease that responded to standard doses of subcutaneous adalimumab...
- Evaluation of current therapeutic strategies in Behçet's diseaseIliana Alexoudi
First Department of Internal Medicine, University of Athens, Laikon Hospital, 69 Vosporou Str, Athens, 10444, Greece
Clin Rheumatol 30:157-63. 2011..BD therapy is based on the suppression of the inflammatory process, using immunomodulating and immunosuppressive agents. In selected cases, invasive procedures may be required...
- A twin study in Behçet's syndromeSeval Masatlioglu
Division of Rheumatology, Haydarpaşa Numune Research and Education Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Exp Rheumatol 28:S62-6. 2010..We sought the frequency of MZ and dizygotic (DZ) twin births in BS and compared it to a healthy population sample from the same geography. We also looked for the concordance rate among the MZ and DZ twins...
- Genetic susceptibility to Behcet's disease: role of genes belonging to the MHC regionMatteo Piga
University Clinic of Cagliari, Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 50:299-310. 2011..To review the progress in the field of MHC-related genetic susceptibility to Behçet's disease (BD)...
- Dermatologic manifestation of Behçet's diseaseE S Lee
Department of Dermatology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
Yonsei Med J 38:380-9. 1997..The hyperreactivity of the skin to any intracutaneous injection or needle prick, which is known as pathergy, is one clinically-unique feature of the disease...
- Familial aggregation of Behçet's disease in TurkeyA Gul
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul School of Medicine, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Rheum Dis 59:622-5. 2000..The current study aimed at investigating the sibling recurrence risk ratio (lambda s) for Behçet's disease, which is of value in the estimation of the magnitude of genetic factors in the pathogenesis of Behçet's disease...
- Effects of vitamin D on expression of Toll-like receptors of monocytes from patients with Behcet's diseaseJ E Do
Department of Dermatology, Ajou University School of Medicine, 5 Wonchon dong, Yeongtong Gu, Suwon 443 721, South Korea
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:840-8. 2008..To understand the implication of innate immunity with the role of vitamin D affecting TLR expression in Behçet's disease (BD), we focused on the association between the TLR expression and the serum vitamin D concentration in BD...
- Evaluation of clinical findings according to sex in 2313 Turkish patients with Behçet's diseaseUmit Tursen
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, University of Mersin, Mersin, Turkey
Int J Dermatol 42:346-51. 2003..Higher incidence of severe clinical course and systemic involvement is observed in male patients...
- Behçet's syndromeYusuf Yazici
New York University School of Medicine, New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY 10003, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 12:429-35. 2010..This is because of a lack of controlled studies evaluating such vascular, neurological, and gastrointestinal complications...
- Spectrum of cardiac lesions in Behçet disease: a series of 52 patients and review of the literatureGuillaume Geri
Service de médecine interne 2, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 91:25-34. 2012..In conclusion, cardiac lesions affected 6% of our large cohort of BD patients. The prognosis of cardiac involvement in BD is poor and improves with oral anticoagulation, immunosuppressive therapy, and colchicine...
- Identification of an autosomal recessive mode of inheritance in paediatric Behçet's families by segregation analysisN Molinari
Laboratoire de Biostatistiques, Epidémiologie et Santé Publique IURC, Montpellier, France
Am J Med Genet A 122:115-8. 2003..Previous studies failed to show any simple mode of inheritance in BD, probably because they were performed on the whole BD population...
- Cerebral infarct in pediatric neuro-Behçet's diseaseMarie Atkinson
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Child Neurol 23:1331-5. 2008..We describe a 14-year-old girl with Behçet's disease that presented initially as a cerebral infarct without venous sinus thrombosis...
- Low prevalence of NOD2 SNPs in Behçet's disease suggests protective association in CaucasiansJasper H Kappen
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Clinical Immunology, Erasmus University Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:1375-7. 2009..We studied the frequency of these variants in BD patients...
- Dapsone in Behçet's disease: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over studyKhalifa E Sharquie
Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, University of Baghdad, Iraq
J Dermatol 29:267-79. 2002..This result should lead to a larger scale study with a longer duration of follow-up...
- Embolization of a giant pulmonary artery aneurysm from Behcet disease with use of cyanoacrylate and the "bubble technique"Barbaros E Cil
Department of Radiology, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Sihhiye 06100, Ankara, Turkey
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:1545-9. 2005..Successful superselective embolization of a giant PAA with the "bubble technique" was performed with use of a high concentration (75%) of n-butyl-cyanoacrylate in a patient with Behcet disease who had recurrent hemoptysis...
- IL-18 mRNA expression and IFN-gamma induction in bronchoalveolar lavage from Behçet's diseaseA Hamzaoui
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Pneumology Hospital A Mami, Ariana, Tunisia
Clin Exp Rheumatol 21:S8-14. 2003..To clarify the potential role of IL-18 during pulmonary Behçet's disease (BD), we have explored the capacity of IL-18 to induce the expression of IFN-gamma...
- Endotoxin-induced Uveitis RevisitedJames T Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..Future studies can buil d on these observations to test anti-inflammtory molecules induced by endotoxin as these molecules are potentially useful in the treatment of uveitis and other inflammations. ..
- Sjogren's model with anti-Ro/La and Salivary Pathology and DysfunctionR Hal Scofield; Fiscal Year: 2010..Improved understanding of the disease at a fundamental level is possible through study of animal models. Such understanding may lead to improved recognition and treatment. ..
- The X chromosome in systemic lupus erythematosusR Hal Scofield; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will determine whether the presence of two X chromosomes is a risk factor for women and men with Klinefelter's syndrome (47,XXY). ..
- UVEITIS GENE-EXPRESSION PROFILINGJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2008..The creation of a gene expression data base for patients with uveitis has the potential to clarify the pathogenesis of disease, establish new diagnostic tools, and provide a means for predicting prognosis. ..
- CHEMOTACTIC FACTORS IN ANIMAL MODELS OF UVEITISJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2008..We believe that these aims are novel, innovative, especially suited to the skills and achievements demonstrated by our laboratory, and highly relevant to clarifying the pathogenesis of anterior uveitis. ..
- Epidemiology of Recurrent Aphthous StomatitisLorena Baccaglini; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the cause of canker sores can lead to better treatments for patients affected by this condition. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FOUR DIMENSIONAL IMAGING OF THE IMMUNE RESPONSE IN VIVOJames T Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies should result in a fundamental improvement in the understanding of how T cells behave within a site of inflammation. ..
- Retrovial Infections of the Nervous System in PeruJOSEPH RAYMOND ZUNT; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition to continuing our investigations, we plan to continue training activities to address the research, education, training, and mentoring needs and opportunities related to CNS infection identified during the R21 planning grant. ..
- Genetics of Severe Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) defined by thrombocytopeniaR Scofield; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, Specific Aim 4 will assemble a new cohort of families multiplex for SLE so that linkages and associations as well as particular polvmorphisms can be prospectively confirmed. ..
- Anterior Uveal Dendritic CellsJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will clarify the function of the immune system within the eye and may suggest novel therapeutic approaches in the treatment of uveitis. ..
- NEUROLOGIC/IMMUNOLOGIC MANIFESTATION OF HTLV-I INFECTIONJoseph Zunt; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Central Nervous System Infections in PeruJoseph Zunt; Fiscal Year: 2004..The second year will be used to complete and analyze these pilot studies and prepare the R01 application. ..
- IMMUNOLOGY/MOLECULAR BIOLOGY TRAINING IN OPHTHALMOLOGYJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2007..The quality of the institution, the talents of the specific faculty, the abilities of the applicant pool, and the proven success of the program areadditional strengths of this application. ..
- Development of killed vaccine for Vibrio cholerae O139Jan Holmgren; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISMS OF ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTION IN DIABETICSJoshua Beckman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- IMMUNOMODULATION IN INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASEBRUCE SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2004..The principal investigator seeks to become an independent clinical investigator by completing the didactic and scientific portions of this proposal. ..
- OSCCAR: A Novel, Population-based Prospective Inception Cohort of Inflammatory BoBRUCE SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pre-eclampsia and risk for CVD in SLE patientsPin Lin; Fiscal Year: 2005..The project outlined in this application will provide a strong foundation for achieving my ultimate goal of becoming an independent clinical investigator. ..
- Spectral-Encoding for Video-Rate Hemodynamic TomographyBrian Pogue; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- IMURAN Dose Ranging Study in Crohn's DiseaseBRUCE SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided ..
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESEllen Ebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will determine the mechanism of IEL chemotaxis toward secreted products of ECs, why IL-15 is more potent than IL-2 in inducing LAK activity by IELs, and how IL-10 and IL-12 augment this activity. ..