- Oral human papillomavirus infection in adults is associated with sexual behavior and HIV serostatus
Aimee R Kreimer
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
J Infect Dis 189:686-98. 2004
..8; 95% confidence interval, 3.1-52.7) among HIV-seropositive individuals. HPV type 16, which is present in most HPV-associated tonsillar cancers, was the most prevalent high-risk oral HPV infection...
- In vitro antimicrobial activity of propolis samples from different geographical origins against certain oral pathogens
Department of Microbiology, Division of Medical Parasitology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy School of Medicine, 06018 Ankara, Turkey
Anaerobe 13:140-5. 2007
..Because of increased antimicrobial resistance, propolis may be kept in mind in the treatment of oral cavity diseases...
- Oral sexual behaviors associated with prevalent oral human papillomavirus infection
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Infect Dis 199:1263-9. 2009
..046, for trend) or open-mouthed kissing partners (P = .023, for trend) but not vaginal sex partners. Oral sex and open-mouthed kissing are associated with the development of oral HPV infection...
- Microbiology and antibiotic sensitivities of head and neck space infections of odontogenic origin
Anthony J Rega
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07103 2400, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1377-80. 2006
..The purpose of this study is to assess the anatomical spaces and causative micro-organisms responsible for deep fascial space head and neck infections and evaluate the resistance of antibiotics used in the treatment of these infections...
- Oral mucosal lesions in a representative cross-sectional study of aging Germans
P A Reichart
Department of Oral Surgery and Oral Radiology Center for Dentistry, University Clinic Charite, Berlin, Germany
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 28:390-8. 2000
..To determine prevalence of oral mucosal lesions in a cross-sectional study among aging Germans...
- Changing prevalence of oral manifestations of human immuno-deficiency virus in the era of protease inhibitor therapy
L L Patton
University of North Carolina, Department of Dental Ecology, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 89:299-304. 2000
..The purpose of this study was to determine temporal trends in the prevalence of oral manifestations of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)...
- Relationship between prevalent oral and cervical human papillomavirus infections in human immunodeficiency virus-positive and -negative women
Johns Hopkins Medicine and Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Cancer Research Building I, 1650 Orleans Street G91, Baltimore, MD 21231 1000, and The CORE Center at John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County, Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:4479-85. 2006
..3%) was significantly greater than would be expected by chance (P=0.0002). Therefore, the oral and cervical reservoirs for HPV infection are likely not entirely independent of one another...
- Adverse drug reactions in the orofacial region
Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College, University of London, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 15:221-39. 2004
..The more common and significant adverse orofacial consequences of drug therapy are discussed...
- Impacts of oral disorders in the United Kingdom and Australia
G D Slade
Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, Dental School, The University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
Br Dent J 198:489-93; discussion 483. 2005
..Surveys of oral health have not previously compared national adult populations using measures of subjective oral health...
- Comparison of a generic and a specific measure of oral health related quality of life
D S Brennan
AIHW Dental Statistics and Research Unit, Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, Dental School, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Adelaide, South Australia
Community Dent Health 22:11-8. 2005
..The aims of the study were to compare the discriminant validity of a generic health state measure, the EuroQol, and a specific oral health measure, the Oral Health Impact Profile...
- Gastrointestinal and hepatic manifestations of Sjogren syndrome
Ellen Catherine Ebert
Department of Medicine, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 46:25-30. 2012
..Several studies show that HCV is in saliva, although how this may impact sicca syndrome or SS in HCV is unclear. SS as a disease of exocrine glands affects many parts of the gastrointestinal system...
- Oral assessment of children with an autism spectrum disorder
Department of Dental Hygiene, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois, USA
J Dent Hyg 81:65. 2007
..The study assessed the oral health status of children with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) to help establish the oral health needs of this population...
- Oral health sensations associated with illicit drug abuse
Periodontology and Public Health, Faculty of Dentistry, Prince Philip Dental Hospital, University of Hong Kong
Br Dent J 198:159-62; dicussion 147; quiz 174. 2005
..To investigate oral health sensations (short term oral health effects) associated with illicit drug abuse. In addition, to identify variations in oral health sensations produced by different illicit drugs...
- Laugier-Hunziker syndrome associated with actinic lichen planus
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18:221-3. 2004
- The oral mucosa in paucibacillary leprosy: a clinical and histopathological study
Marilda Aparecida Milanez Morgado de Abreu
Department of Dermatology, Division of Stomatology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:e48-52. 2007
..Involvement of the oral mucosa can occur in lepromatous leprosy; however, lesions in the oral mucosa of paucibacillary patients have not been previously observed...
- Treatment of Laugier-Hunziker syndrome with the Q-switched alexandrite laser in 22 Chinese patients
Ya Gang Zuo
Department of Dermatology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
Arch Dermatol Res 302:125-30. 2010
..Our study has also demonstrated QSAL to be highly effective and safe in the treatment of LHS...
- Laugier-Hunziker-Baran syndrome
Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:e20-5. 2008
..The differential diagnosis of oral and pigmented lesions between Laugier-Hunziker-Baran syndrome and other disorders, Peutz-Jeghers syndrome in particular, requires our utmost consideration...
- Laugier-Hunziker syndrome: a rare cause of mucocutaneous pigmentation
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Poole General Hospital, Longfleet Road, Poole, Dorset BH15 2JB, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:320-1. 2006
..An 80-year-old white woman presented with brown pigmentation on both sides of the buccal mucosa and lower lip and patchy freckling in her nails, which was diagnosed as Laugier-Hunziker syndrome...
- Idiopathic lenticular mucocutaneous pigmentation (Laugier-Hunziker syndrome): a report of a case
Univeristy of Oulu, Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96:288-92. 2003
..Here we report the first case of the Laugier-Hunziker syndrome in Scandinavia. Other conditions causing diffuse or multifocal pigmented oral lesions are discussed...
- Quality of life and psychological problems of patients with oral mucosal disease in dermatological practice
Health Services Research Unit, IDI IRCCS, Via dei Monti di Creta, 104 Rome IT 00167, Italy
Dermatology 218:314-20. 2009
..Dermatologists see patients with oral mucosal conditions...
- The World Oral Health Report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century--the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme
Poul Erik Petersen
World Health Organization, Oral Health Programme, Noncommunicable Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31:3-23. 2003
..The current oral health situation and development trends at global level are described and WHO strategies and approaches for better oral health in the 21st century are outlined...
- Tobacco use and oral disease
D M Winn
Epidemiology and Genetics Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 7395, USA
J Dent Educ 65:306-12. 2001
..Effective treatments to prevent tobacco use and increase cessation are available and need greater implementation. Dental practices may provide a uniquely effective setting for tobacco prevention and cessation...
- Frequency of oral conditions in a dermatology clinic
V A Ramirez-Amador
Department of Health Care, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana Xochimilco, Consejo Nacional para la prevencion y control del SIDA, Mexico City, Mexico
Int J Dermatol 39:501-5. 2000
..Oral mucosal manifestations may be the initial feature, the most florid clinical feature, or the only sign of mucocutaneous diseases...
- Systemic diseases caused by oral infection
Department of Oral Biology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Clin Microbiol Rev 13:547-58. 2000
..Proposed evidence and mechanisms of the above odontogenic systemic diseases are given...
- Prevalence study of oral mucosal lesions in a selected Cambodian population
Second Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Aichigakuin University, Nagoya, Japan
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 23:49-54. 1995
..6%). All subjects with lichen lesions were women. The age-adjusted relative risk for developing lichen among betel nut chewers as compared to non-chewers was 3.3.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Prevalence and distribution of oral lesions: a cross-sectional study in Turkey
Department of Basic Health Science, Faculty of Health Education, University of Marmara, Istanbul, Turkey
Oral Dis 11:81-7. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prevalence and distribution of oral lesions (OLs) in Turkish population...
- Relative frequency of solitary melanocytic lesions of the oral mucosa
Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Oral Pathol Med 33:550-7. 2004
..The purpose of the study was twofold: to report a large series of solitary melanocytic lesions from one source, and to determine the relative frequency of these lesions...
- The normal and pathological pigmentation of oral mucous membrane: a review
Department of Periodontology in the Faculty of Dentistry at Atatürk University in Erzurum Turkey
J Contemp Dent Pract 4:76-86. 2003
..The differential diagnosis, clinical, etiology, and histopathological features of pigmentation are discussed and the current literature is reviewed...
- Oral lesions and conditions associated with human immunodeficiency virus infection in 300 south Indian patients
Department of Oral Pathology, Ragas Dental College and Hospital, 116, Dr Radhakrishnan Salai, Mylapore, 600 004, Chennai, India
Oral Dis 6:152-7. 2000
..In spite of this high prevalence there are very few reports of oral lesions and conditions in Indian HIV/AIDS patients, which are important in early diagnosis and management of these patients...
- Prevalence of oral lesions among Saudi dental patients
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Dentistry, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 29:365-8. 2009
..Few studies have been conducted in the Saudi population on oral mucosal lesions. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the type and extent of oral lesions in a study among dental patients at a college of dentistry in Saudi Arabia...
- Oral lesions in patients with pemphigus vulgaris and bullous pemphigoid
School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Clin Croat 47:13-8. 2008
..Timely recognition of pemphigus vulgaris and bullous pemphigoid and appropriate treatment are important for the prognosis of these autoimmune bullous disorders...
- Oral human papillomavirus infection in women with cervical HPV infection: new data from an Italian cohort and a metanalysis of the literature
Dept of Surgical and Oncological Disciplines, Section of Oral Sciences, Sector of Oral Medicine, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Oral Oncol 47:244-50. 2011
..Furthermore, oral HPV prevalence and type-concordance are influenced by immunity...
- Do oral lesions associated with HIV affect quality of life?
Division of Public Oral Health, School of Public Health, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:66-73. 2008
..To assess the impact of oral lesions on quality of life (QOL) in HIV-positive (HIV+) individuals using the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP)...
- Oro-facial manifestations in paediatric HIV: a comparative study of institutionalized and hospital outpatients
Department of Community Dentistry, School for Oral Health Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, South Africa
Oral Dis 10:13-8. 2004
..HIV infected children should be considered high risk for caries because of the use of chronic medications, and to receive appropriate care in terms of both treatment and services...
- [Usefulness of oral exfoliative cytology for the diagnosis of oral squamous dysplasia and carcinoma]
Sezione di Anatomia Patologica, Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Oncologia Umana, Universita degli Studi di Torino, Torino, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 53:77-86. 2004
..It is well known that diagnostic oral exfoliative cytology, even if a useful, economical and practical tool in the diagnosis of oral dysplasia and carcinoma, is not yet used so extensively as is cervico-vaginal cytology...
- Oral pyogenic granuloma--a review of 215 cases in a South Indian Teaching Hospital, Karnataka, over a period of 20 years
Dental Faculty, Garyounis University, Benghazi, Libya
Oral Maxillofac Surg 16:305-9. 2012
..It is believed, however, to be an exuberant tissue response to local irritation or trauma. Up to date, few studies have been carried out among Asians, particularly on the Indian subcontinent...
- Synergism between HIV and other viruses in the mouth
Francois Xavier Mbopi-Keou
Department of Oral Medicine at Eastman Dental Institute, UCL, University of London, London, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 2:416-24. 2002
..Defining the mechanisms by which oral viruses interact with HIV in the co-infected host should permit intervention measures against oral HIV transmission to be more precisely targeted...
- The pattern of mucocutaneous disorders in HIV-infected children attending care and treatment centres in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Millembe F Panya
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Muhimbili, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
BMC Public Health 9:234. 2009
..There is paucity of information regarding the prevalence and pattern of mucocutaneous disorders among HIV infected children attending paediatric Care and Treatment Centres (CTC) in Dar es Salaam...
- Natural history of oral papillomavirus infections in spouses: a prospective Finnish HPV Family Study
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Turku University Central Hospital, P O Box 52, FIN 20521 Turku, Finland
J Clin Virol 35:89-94. 2006
..The natural history of genital human papillomavirus infection is well known, but nearly nothing is known about the outcome of oral HPV-infection...
- The use of quality of life measures in oral medicine: a review of the literature
R Ni Riordain
Oral Medicine Unit, Cork University Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland
Oral Dis 16:419-30. 2010
..To explore the use of patient reported quality of life measures in oral medicine, to highlight the importance of use of these measures in oral medicine practice and to provide guidance for the selection of such measures in the future...
- Concordance between clinical and histopathologic diagnoses of oral mucosal lesions
Kush J Patel
Department of Oral Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, University of Otago School of Dentistry, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 69:125-33. 2011
- Impact of chronic oral mucosal disease on daily life: preliminary observations from a qualitative study
R Ni Riordain
Cork University Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland
Oral Dis 17:265-9. 2011
..To explore the experience of daily life of persons with chronic oral mucosal conditions...
- Factors associated with oral problems among adults with spinal cord injury
Hon K Yuen
Medical University of South Carolina, CHP Complex Bldg B, 151 Rutledge Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Spinal Cord Med 32:408-15. 2009
..To explore factors associated with self-reported current oral (tooth and gum) problems and oral pain in the past 12 months among adults with spinal cord injury...
- Prevalence of hepatitis virus infection in association with oral diseases requiring surgery
Department of Internal Medicine, Kyushu Dental College, Kitakyushu, Japan
Oral Dis 8:95-9. 2002
..We evaluated the prevalence of hepatitis virus infection in a large population of patients in terms of diseases requiring oral surgery...
- Prevalence of oral mucosal lesions in a representative population
Christian H Splieth
Center for Oral Health, University of Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
Quintessence Int 38:23-9. 2007
..The aim of this study was to assess the prevalence and intraoral distribution of oral mucosal lesions in a representative adult population (Study of Health in Pomerania/Germany)...
- Leprosy-specific oral lesions: a report of three cases
Ana Carolina F Motta
Department of Morphology, Stomatology and Physiology, Dental School of Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 13:E479-82. 2008
..The authors emphasize the importance of oral mucosa evaluation by a dental health professional during patient care since oral lesions may act as a source of infection...
- A study of orofacial bacterial infections in elderly Nigerians
V I Ugboko
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
SADJ 57:391-4. 2002
..5 weeks) and the mortality rate was 3.3%. The study findings demonstrate that a significant relationship exists between elderly Nigerians with orofacial infections and systemic disease...
- Oral complications of radiotherapy in the head and neck
Bruno Correia Jham
Faculdade de Odontologia, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 72:704-8. 2006
..Mucositis, candidosis, disgeusia, radiation caries, osteoradionecrosis, soft tissue necrosis and xerostomia are some of radiotherapys complications...
- White sponge nevus: presentation of a new family
Pía López Jornet
Oral Medicine, University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Pediatr Dermatol 25:116-7. 2008
..We present an occurrence of white sponge disease affecting four members of the same family: a father and three children. The lesions consisted of white asymptomatic patches in the oral mucosa...
- Oral manifestations of eating disorders: a critical review
L Lo Russo
Department of Oral Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Oral Medicine Section, School of Dentistry, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Oral Dis 14:479-84. 2008
..As oral manifestations of ED can occur in many phases of disease progression, they play a significant role in assessment, characterization and prognosis of ED...
- (A1) Identification of oral health care needs in children and adults, management of oral diseases
T A Hodgson
Oral Medicine, Division of Maxillofacial Diagnostic, Medical and Surgical Sciences, UCL Eastman Dental Institute and UCLHT Eastman Dental Hospital, London, UK
Adv Dent Res 19:106-17. 2006
..It is essential that oral health research be integrated into other health care research programs, to make these research priorities and public health initiatives feasible...
- A survey of oral biopsies in Brazilian pediatric patients
D M Maia
Department of Oral Surgery and Pathology, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais
ASDC J Dent Child 67:128-31, 83. 2000
..Cysts of the jaws and oral soft tissues comprised 26.1 percent of total oral biopsies. The importance of these findings in oral diagnosis is discussed...
- White sponge nevus: report of a three-generation family
Dental Departament, State University of Montes Claros, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:43-7. 2007
..The aim of this study was to describe the clinical, histopathologic, and genetic features of a family, spanning 3 generations, affected by WSN...
- Validity and reliability of a newly developed quality of life questionnaire for patients with chronic oral mucosal diseases
Richeal Ni Riordain
Oral Medicine Unit, Cork University Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland
J Oral Pathol Med 40:604-9. 2011
- Nutrition and oral mucosal diseases
Danielle Marie Thomas
Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Clin Dermatol 28:426-31. 2010
..This contribution reviews how the water-soluble vitamins (B(2), B(3), B(6), B(12), C, and folic acid), fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, and E), and minerals (calcium, fluoride, iron, and zinc) can affect the oral mucosa...
- Knowledge and Attitude of PLWHA concerning oral lesions of HIV/AIDS among patients of PEPFAR clinic in Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) Lagos, Nigeria
G A Agbelusi
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Lagos
Niger Postgrad Med J 18:120-5. 2011
..Knowledge of the oral lesions will enable People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWA) to seek dental treatment on time...
- Oral mucosal lesions, microbial changes, and taste disturbances induced by adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients
Siri Beier Jensen
Department of Oral Medicine, Clinical Oral Physiology, Oral Pathology and Anatomy, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:217-26. 2008
..The aim of the study was to examine oral mucosal lesions, microbial changes, and taste disturbances induced by adjuvant chemotherapy (CT) in breast cancer patients during and 1 year after treatment...
- Dental and oral condition in leprosy patients from Serra, Brazil
Vania A Souza
Leprosy Control Programme, US Carapina, Serra ES, Brazil
Lepr Rev 80:156-63. 2009
..To describe dental and periodontal diseases and oral lesions in newly diagnosed leprosy patients...
- The oral mucosa in leprosy: a clinical and histopathological study
Marilda Aparecida Milanez Morgado de Abreu
Department of Pathology, EPM, UNIFESP, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Paulista School of Medicine, Brazil
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 72:312-6. 2006
..Multibacillary leprosy may involve the oral mucosa, with or without apparent lesions. There are few studies that deal with this issue in the era of multidrug therapy...
- Clinical psychiatric assessment of patients with burning mouth syndrome resisting oral treatment
Department of Psychiatry, Ryhov Central Hospital, Jonkoping, Sweden
Swed Dent J 13:77-88. 1989
..One patient was judged to have somatic causes of the symptoms, 8 patients somatic and psychological causes, 6 patients psychological causes and in 1 patient the cause was unknown. Three cases are presented in more detail...
- [Nutrition and oral health]
Giuseppe Alessandro Scardina
Sezione di Odontostomatologia, Dipartimento di Scienze Stomatologiche G Messina, Universita, Palermo
Recenti Prog Med 99:106-11. 2008
..Furthermore, optimizing oral health is important in maximizing functional capacity to consume a healthful and varied diet. A varied diet is, otherwise, fundamental to save oral health...
- Patient- and population-reported outcomes in public health dentistry: oral health-related quality of life
R Gary Rozier
Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7411, USA
Dent Clin North Am 52:345-65, vi-vii. 2008
- Eating disorders and oral health: a review of the literature
A M Frydrych
School of Dentistry, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands
Aust Dent J 50:6-15; quiz 56. 2005
..Many EDPs are nutritionally challenged; there is a relative lack of information pertaining to non-dental, oral lesions associated with nutritional deficiencies...
- Oral mucosal lesions in skin diseased patients attending a dermatologic clinic: a cross-sectional study in Sudan
Nada M Suliman
Section for Pathology, The Gade Institute, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
BMC Oral Health 11:24. 2011
..This study aimed to estimate the frequency and socio-behavioural correlates of OML in skin diseased patients attending outpatient's facility of Khartoum Teaching Hospital - Dermatology Clinic, Sudan...
- Oral mucosa symptoms, signs and lesions, in end stage renal disease and non-end stage renal disease diabetic patients
Estela de la Rosa García
Departamento de Atención a la Salud Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana Xochimilco, Mexico, DF, Mexico
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 11:E467-73. 2006
..Associations were analyzed using Chi square, Fisher s exact test, and odds ratios (OR) with 95% confidence intervals. Ages, time on dialysis, and laboratory results were compared with Student s t test...
- A national epidemiological survey of oral mucosal lesions in Malaysia
R B Zain
Dental Faculty, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:377-83. 1997
..6%) had betel chewer's mucosa. The prevalence of oral precancer was highest amongst Indians (4.0%) and other Bumiputras (the indigenous people of Sabah and Sarawak) (2.5%) while the lowest prevalence was amongst the Chinese (0.5%)...
- Dentists' knowledge and opinions about oral mucosal lesions
Istanbul University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Oral Surgery and Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:1283-8. 2009
..Dentists practising at universities attempted to treat fewer patients with OML (p=0.0001). The results of this questionnaire conclude that most dentists experience difficulties in diagnosing some OML...
- Oral lesions in 166 patients with cutaneous psoriasis: a controlled study
Soraya C Costa
Department of Oral Diagnosis, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:e371-5. 2009
..This study was aimed to test if the frequency of oral lesions bears statistical correlation or not with the condition of cutaneous psoriasis...
- Cross-sectional study of oral mucosal conditions among a central Amazonian Indian community, Brazil
Paulo José Benevides dos Santos
FCECON, Fundação Centro de Controle de Oncologia Cancer Hospital, Manaus, AM, Brazil
J Oral Pathol Med 33:7-12. 2004
..These Indians keep their traditional way of life and are free from habits such as smoking, alcohol drinking, and use of pacifiers...
- Oral-health-related quality of life: an overview for the general dental practitioner
Dara M Shearer
N Z Dent J 103:82-7. 2007
- Risk factors for oral soft tissue lesions in an adult Spanish population
M J García-Pola Vallejo
Department of Oral Pathology, Dental School, University of Oviedo, Spain, Department of Public Health, Regional Institute of Health, Oviedo, Spain, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental School, University of Oviedo, Spain
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 30:277-85. 2002
- An analysis of oral and maxillofacial pathology found in adults over a 30-year period
A V Jones
Department of Oral Pathology, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Oral Pathol Med 35:392-401. 2006
- The diagnostic applications of saliva--a review
Division of Periodontics, Columbia University, School of Dental and Oral Surgery, 630 West 168th Street, PH 7E, Room 110, New York, NY 10032, USA
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 13:197-212. 2002
- Treatment and follow-up of oral dysplasia - a systematic review and meta-analysis
Hisham M Mehanna
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Institute of Head and Neck Studies and Education, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire, Coventry, United Kingdom
Head Neck 31:1600-9. 2009
..The aim of this study was to inform an evidence-based management policy for oral dysplastic lesions...
- Human papillomavirus infections in the oral mucosa
Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, Institute of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Turku, Finland
J Am Dent Assoc 142:905-14. 2011
..In this review, the authors provide the latest information for dental professionals about HPV infection in the oral mucosa and in general...
- Oral health-related quality of life in Germany
Mike T John
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
Eur J Oral Sci 111:483-91. 2003
..For subjects with removable dentures the scores were 15 and 60 points, respectively, and for subjects with complete dentures, 23 and 85 points, respectively. The results provide the first overview of impaired OHRQoL in Germany...
- Oral lesions in HIV infection in developing countries: an overview
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Ragas Dental College and Hospital, 2 102 East Coast Road, Uthandi, Chennai 600 119, India
Adv Dent Res 19:63-8. 2006
..Well-designed and -documented studies are necessary for the correct assessment of the nature and magnitude of the problem in developing countries, if oral health measures are to be effectively formulated for the HIV-infected...
- Oral lesions of HIV disease and HAART in industrialized countries
T A Hodgson
Unit of Oral Medicine, UCL Eastman Dental Institute and UCLHT Eastman Dental Hospital, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London, WC1X 8LD, UK
Adv Dent Res 19:57-62. 2006
..These substantial and intensive research efforts directed toward enhancing knowledge regarding the orofacial consequences of HIV infection in the industrialized nations require dissemination in the wider health care environment...
- Prevalence of oral mucosal lesions in elderly people in Santiago, Chile
Department of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Odontology, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Oral Pathol Med 32:571-5. 2003
..Oral prevalence studies are important to know the state of health and the needs of treatment. Our aim was to determine the prevalence of oral mucosal lesions and associated factors among aging Chileans...
- Prevalence of oral lesions in patients with psoriasis
Health Care Department, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Xochimilco, Mexico
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 13:E703-8. 2008
..To determine the prevalence of oral lesions (OL) in patients with psoriasis, and compare these findings with the ones found in patients without this condition...
- Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and oral soft tissue pathologies. I. Prevalence and characteristics of non-candidal lesions
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, Departments of Restorative Dentistry and Oral Medicine and Pathology, Pennsylvania, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 89:563-9. 2000
..Characterization of 3 non-candidal lesions suggests that they are associated with trauma, delayed healing, or both...
- Self-reported oral hygiene habits and oral health problems of Kuwaiti adults
Khalaf F Al-Shammari
Department of Surgical Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 16:15-21. 2007
..The aims of this study were to examine self-reported oral hygiene habits and oral health problems of a sample of adult Kuwaitis...
- Clinical grading of oral chronic graft-versus-host disease in 104 consecutive adult patients
Haematologica 90:567-9. 2005
..The presence of oral changes in association with skin and other target organs including eye, lung or joint may adversely influence the probability of discontinuing systemic immunosuppressive treatment...
- Pigmented lesions of the oral cavity: review, differential diagnosis, and case presentations
Department of Stomatology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Montreal, Quebec
J Can Dent Assoc 70:682-3. 2004
..In this paper, an algorithm is proposed for the assessment of pigmented lesions of the oral cavity, and 3 patients with such lesions are described...
- Salivary flow and oral complaints in adult dental patients
School of Dentistry, Umea University, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 28:59-66. 2000
..001). Information regarding salivary flow rate in adults is important in understanding and evaluating the relationship between salivary flow and various types of oral complaints in patients...
- Oral complications after buccal mucosal graft harvest for urethroplasty
Department of Urology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
BJU Int 94:867-9. 2004
..To report long-term oral complications after buccal mucosal graft (BMG) harvesting for urethroplasty...
- Prevalence of HIV-1 and oral lesions in pregnant women in rural Malawi
B C Muzyka
WHO Collaborating Center in Oral Infectious Diseases, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 92:56-61. 2001
..A high seroprevalence was found in this rural cohort, but there were unexpectedly few oral lesions. The relatively few oral lesions diagnosed may indicate a recent infection with HIV...
- Recruitment of rural and cognitively impaired older adults for dental research
The University of North Carolina Greensboro, Gerontology Program, Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Spec Care Dentist 30:193-9. 2010
- Oral lesions in infection with human immunodeficiency virus
Maeve M Coogan
Division of Oral Microbiology, School of Dentistry, University of the Witwatersrand, Wits, South Africa
Bull World Health Organ 83:700-6. 2005
..It is important that all health care workers receive education and training on the relevance of oral health needs and the use of oral lesions as surrogate markers in HIV infection...
- Laugier and Hunziker pigmentation: a lentiginous proliferation of melanocytes
Roger T Moore
Department of Dermatology, Rush Medical College, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, 1653 W Congress Parkway, 507 Kidston, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 50:S70-4. 2004
..Further studies are warranted to determine if this pigmentation disorder represents a spectrum of histopathologic change or, in fact, should be renamed mucocutaneous lentiginosis of Laugier and Hunziker...
- Prevalence of oral lesions among a sample of Bangladeshi medical users aged 40 years and over living in Tower Hamlets, UK
Tower Hamlets Healthcare NHS Trust, Community/Salaried Dental Services, Dental Department, St Leonard's Primary Care Centre, Nuttall Street, London E1 5LZ, UK
Int Dent J 51:30-4. 2001
..Sensitively tailored health promotion interventions, which aim to reduce tobacco use, should be developed for this population...
- The impact of stomatological disease on oral health-related quality of life
Carrie Diane Llewellyn
Department of Oral Medicine and Pathology, Guy s, King s and St Thomas Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, King s College Hospital, London, UK
Eur J Oral Sci 111:297-304. 2003
..Patient centred, routine assessment of OHR-QoL provides an additional dimension that may help to improve awareness of the impact of disease on the individual's life and enhance the clinical decision-making process...
- Frequency of oral manifestations in children infected with human immunodeficiency virus
Pontifical Catholic University of Parana, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Quintessence Int 31:419-22. 2000
..It also attempted to correlate the presence of lesions with the patient's degree of immunosuppression, as measured by the T4/T8 ratio...
- Classification, diagnostic criteria, and treatment recommendations for orofacial manifestations in HIV-infected pediatric patients. Collaborative Workgroup on Oral Manifestations of Pediatric HIV Infection
F J Ramos-Gomez
Department of Growth and Development, School of Dentistry, University of California San Francisco 94143 0438, USA
J Clin Pediatr Dent 23:85-96. 1999
..Treatment recommendations, specific for this age group, have been included for some of the more common HIV-related orofacial manifestations...
- [Orofacial manifestations of systemic sclerosis: a study of 30 consecutive patients]
Stomatologie et chirurgie maxillofaciale, Hopital Hotel Dieu, CHU de Nantes, Place Alexis Ricordeau, 44093 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Rev Med Interne 30:5-11. 2009
..The objective of this study was to describe oral and facial manifestations observed in scleroderma patients from our cohort...
- Tobacco-associated lesions of the oral cavity: Part I. Nonmalignant lesions
S M Mirbod
Faculty of Dentistry, Periodontics Clinic, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg
J Can Dent Assoc 66:252-6. 2000
..Malignant lesions, basic biopsy principles and prevention and intervention strategies are discussed in the subsequent part...
- Oral complications of childhood cancer and its treatment: current best practice
P M Belfield
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Oncology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Eur J Cancer 40:1035-41; discussion 1042-4. 2004
- Appearance and culture: oral pathology associated with certain "fashions" (tattoos, piercings, etc.)
Medicina Bucal, Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Barcelona, Spain
Med Oral 8:197-206. 2003
..Under these premises, questions are raised concerning the competence of those who perform these mutilations, the preventive measures adopted, and the legal conditions under which tattoos and piercings are made in our society...
- Risk factors associated with oral lesions in HIV-infected heterosexual people and intravenous drug users in Thailand
Department of Stomatology, Faculty of Dentistry, Prince of Songkla University, Thailand
J Oral Pathol Med 30:224-30. 2001
..This study should help predict the risk of acquiring various types of oral lesions, given that the person is exposed to multiple risk factors compared to another who is not exposed to these factors...
- Clinical picture of snuff dipper's lesion in Swedes
Department of Cariology, University of Umea, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 17:97-101. 1989
..There were differences between the different brands of snuff as regards the severity of the snuff dipper's lesion produced...
- Lesions of the oral mucosa: an epidemiological study of 23785 Mexican patients
José L Castellanos
Department of Periodontics, Dental School, De La Salle Bajío University, Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:79-85. 2008
..55 to 105.36 per 1000 patients examined. Age and sex assessment showed some differences in the type and presentation rates of the lesions. These and other epidemiological aspects are discussed...