Genomes and Genes
Summary: Diseases affecting the orderly growth and persistence of hair.
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- The common ultrasonographic features of pilomatricomaJi Young Hwang
Department of Radiology and Medical Research Institute, Ewha Womans University College of Medicine, 911 1 MokDong, Yangcheongu, 158 710 Seoul, Korea
J Ultrasound Med 24:1397-402. 2005..The purpose of this series was to describe typical ultrasonographic features of 20 cases of pilomatricoma and to improve its diagnostic rate with the use of an ultrasonographic approach...
- Bone morphogenetic proteins and their antagonists in skin and hair follicle biologyVladimir A Botchkarev
Department of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Invest Dermatol 120:36-47. 2003..Therefore, BMPs represent new important players in the molecular network regulating homeostasis in normal and diseased skin. Pharmacologic modulation of BMP signaling may be used as a new approach for managing skin and hair disorders...
- Identification of a deletion in plakoglobin in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy with palmoplantar keratoderma and woolly hair (Naxos disease)G McKoy
Department of Cardiological Sciences, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Lancet 355:2119-24. 2000..This protein is a key component of desmosomes and adherens junctions, and is important for the tight adhesion of many cell types, including those in the heart and skin...
- Skin academy: hair, skin, hormones and menopause - current status/knowledge on the management of hair disorders in menopausal womenUlrike Blume-Peytavi
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlini, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Dermatol 22:310-8. 2012..This review discusses the assessment and treatment of both the physiological and psychological aspects of hair and skin disorders pertinent to the growing post-menopausal population...
- Co-segregation of trichorhinophalangeal syndrome with a t(8;13)(q23.3;q21.31) familial translocation that appears to increase TRPS1 gene expressionDezso David
Department of Human Genetics, National Health Institute Dr Ricardo Jorge, Av Padre Cruz, 1649 016, Lisbon, Portugal
Hum Genet 132:1287-99. 2013..Together, these findings support that the reported translocation-associated phenotypes are "cis-ruption" and TRPS1 overexpression related, the latter most probably caused by the novel enhancer element in the TRPS1 5' region...
- Rheumatologic and neurological events in an elderly patient with tricho-rhino-phalangeal syndrome type IMarjory Rué
Pôle des Neurosciences Cliniques, Groupe Hospitalier Sud, CHU Bordeaux, Pessac, France
Eur J Med Genet 54:e405-8. 2011..Here, we described a 64-year-old woman with molecularly proved TRPS I and several atypical late-onset rheumatologic and neurological symptoms...
- Trichorhinophalangeal syndrome with low expression of TRPS1 on epidermal and hair follicle epithelial cellsTaisuke Ito
Department of Dermatology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Niigata, Japan
J Dermatol 40:396-8. 2013..In addition, higher expression of phospho-Stat3 was found consequent to the loss of TRPS1 in the outer root sheath...
- Surgery for trichiasis by ophthalmologists versus integrated eye care workers: a randomized trialWondu Alemayehu
ORBIS International Ethiopia, PO Box 23508 code 1000, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Ophthalmology 111:578-84. 2004..To study the outcome of bilamellar tarsal rotation (BTR) trichiasis surgery performed by ophthalmologists versus that done by integrated eye care workers (IECWs)...
- Longitudinal study of trachomatous trichiasis in the GambiaR J C Bowman
International Centre for Eye Health, 11 43 Bath Street, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 86:339-43. 2002..Investigation of the natural history of trachomatous trichiasis in the Gambia and of the outcome of self epilation and surgery for the condition...
- Pilomatrixoma: a review of 346 casesAshkan Pirouzmanesh
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Children s Hospital, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 112:1784-9. 2003..Imaging studies are not required unless symptoms or the location of the lesion warrants such diagnostic assessments. The treatment of choice is surgical excision, and the recurrence rate is low...
- Premature aging in mice deficient in DNA repair and transcriptionJan de Boer
Medical Genetics Center, Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Center for Biomedical Genetics, Erasmus University, 3000 DR Rotterdam, Netherlands
Science 296:1276-9. 2002..We hypothesize that aging in TTD mice is caused by unrepaired DNA damage that compromises transcription, leading to functional inactivation of critical genes and enhanced apoptosis...
- Remodeling of myocyte gap junctions in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy due to a deletion in plakoglobin (Naxos disease)Starr R Kaplan
Department of Pathology and Center for Cardiovascular Research, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63100, USA
Heart Rhythm 1:3-11. 2004....
- Pilomatricoma of the head and neck: a retrospective review of 179 casesMing Ying Lan
Department of Otolaryngology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, 201 Shih Pai Road, sector 2, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:1327-30. 2003..To describe the clinical presentations and management of pilomatricoma, formerly known as pilomatrixoma, of the head and neck...
- Gene for arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy with diffuse nonepidermolytic palmoplantar keratoderma and woolly hair (Naxos disease) maps to 17q21A S Coonar
Department of Cardiological Sciences, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Circulation 97:2049-58. 1998..We undertook a clinical and genetic investigation of Naxos disease, originally described by Protonotarios in 1986. This disease constitutes the triad of ARVC, diffuse nonepidermolytic palmoplantar keratoderma, and woolly hair...
- Trichiasis and disability in a trachoma-endemic area of TanzaniaK D Frick
The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Health Policy and Management, Health Services Research and Development Center, 624 N Broadway, Room 606, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 119:1839-44. 2001..To measure limitations in the daily activities of village life associated with having trichiasis for individuals with and without visual acuity loss...
- From proteomics to diseaseKenneth H Kraemer
Nat Genet 36:677-8. 2004
- Eyelid pilomatricomas in young adults: a report of 8 casesEnrique Mencía-Gutiérrez
Department of Ophthalmology, 12 Octubre Hostpital, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Cutis 69:23-6. 2002..These lesions are frequently misdiagnosed when evaluation is based on clinical evidence alone: only 4 of our cases were correctly diagnosed prior to excisional biopsy...
- Early death from cardiomyopathy in a family with autosomal dominant striate palmoplantar keratoderma and woolly hair associated with a novel insertion mutation in desmoplakinElizabeth E Norgett
J Invest Dermatol 126:1651-4. 2006
- Mutations in the general transcription factor TFIIH result in beta-thalassaemia in individuals with trichothiodystrophyV Viprakasit
MRC Molecular Haematology Unit, Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DS, UK
Hum Mol Genet 10:2797-802. 2001..They support the hypothesis that many of the clinical features of TTD result from inadequate expression of a diverse set of highly expressed genes...
- Natural history of trachomatous scarring in The Gambia: results of a 12-year longitudinal follow-upR J Bowman
International Centre for Eye Health, London, England, UK
Ophthalmology 108:2219-24. 2001..The planning of surgical services will be aided by the incidence figures generated by this study...
- Topical prostaglandin F(2alpha) analog induced poliosisCelia S Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Flinders Medical Centre, Bedford Drive, Bedford Park, Adelaide, SA 5042, Australia
Am J Ophthalmol 137:965-6. 2004..To report poliosis as a side effect associated with topical prostaglandin F(2alpha) (PGF(2alpha)) analogs...
- A mouse model for the basal transcription/DNA repair syndrome trichothiodystrophyJ de Boer
MGC Department of Cell Biology and Genetics Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Cell 1:981-90. 1998..The cutaneous symptoms are associated with reduced transcription of a skin-specific gene strongly supporting the concept of TTD as a human disease due to inborn defects in basal transcription and DNA repair...
- Xeroderma pigmentosum and trichothiodystrophy are associated with different mutations in the XPD (ERCC2) repair/transcription geneE M Taylor
Medical Research Council Cell Mutation Unit, Sussex University, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RR, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:8658-63. 1997..If we eliminate the null mutations, the remaining mutagenic pattern is consistent with the site of the mutation determining the phenotype...
- A temperature-sensitive disorder in basal transcription and DNA repair in humansW Vermeulen
MGC, Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Center for Biomedical Genetics, Erasmus University, P O Box 1738, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 27:299-303. 2001..Our findings reveal the clinical consequences of impaired basal transcription and mutations in very fundamental processes in humans, which previously were only known in lower organisms...
- Multiple familial pilomatricomas: a cutaneous marker for Gardner syndrome?R M Pujol
Department of Dermatology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Pediatr Dermatol 12:331-5. 1995..Possibly, multiple familial pilomatricomas could be considered a cutaneous marker of Gardner syndrome...
- Perforating pilomatricoma on the upper eyelidKatsunori Niitsuma
Division of Plastic Surgery, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 17:372-3. 2006..These findings are consistent with the diagnosis of perforating pilomatricoma...
- Aggressive pilomatrixoma of the infra-auricular area: a case reportSven Saussez
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, CHU Saint Pierre, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Auris Nasus Larynx 32:407-10. 2005..We report the case of a 15-year-old Turkish boy suffering from an aggressive pilomatrixoma of the infra-auricular region and review the literature about this unclear entity...
- Multiple pilomatricomas in Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome: a case reportS Cambiaghi
1st Dept. of Dermatology and Pediatric Dermatology, IRCCS-University of Milan, Italy
Pediatr Dermatol 11:21-5. 1994..Possibilities to explain the association include contiguous gene syndrome, the action of a pleiotropic gene, predisposition to malformations, and mere coincidence...
- Naxos disease and Carvajal syndrome: cardiocutaneous disorders that highlight the pathogenesis and broaden the spectrum of arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathyNikos Protonotarios
Yannis Protonotarios Medical Center, Hora Naxos, Naxos 84300, Greece
Cardiovasc Pathol 13:185-94. 2004..The clinical heterogeneity and tissue characteristics in this cell-adhesion cardiomyopathy might be mutation specific and leads to consideration that the spectrum of ARVC should be broadened...
- Premature termination of hair follicle morphogenesis and accelerated hair follicle cycling in Iasi congenital atrichia (fzica) mice points to fuzzy as a key element of hair cycle controlLars Mecklenburg
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4467, USA
Exp Dermatol 14:561-70. 2005..Our data show that fuzzy is involved in controlling both catagen and anagen initiation, designating fuzzy an exciting target for characterizing the intracutaneous oscillator system that drives hair follicle cycling...
- [Pilomatrix carcinoma: histologic and immunohistochemical features. Two studies]Thomas Petit
Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Hopital Bichat Claude Bernard, Paris
Ann Pathol 23:50-4. 2003..No feature is specific to confirm wether a malignant pilomatricoma arises de novo, or whether it is a malignant transformation of a pre-existing benign pilomatricoma...
- Basal transcription defect discriminates between xeroderma pigmentosum and trichothiodystrophy in XPD patientsSandy Dubaele
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP, BP 10142, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, C U Strasbourg, France
Mol Cell 11:1635-46. 2003..The implications of these mutations are discussed using a structural model of the XPD protein. Our study provides explanations for the nature and the severity of the various clinical features...
- A recessive mutation in desmoplakin causes arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia, skin disorder, and woolly hairRonny Alcalai
Department of Medicine Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, Israel
J Am Coll Cardiol 42:319-27. 2003..The goal of this study was to analyze the genetic disorder of a family with cardiomyopathy, skin disorder, and woolly hair...
- Multiple pilomatricomas: cutaneous marker for myotonic dystrophyQuyn J Sherrod
Dermatol Online J 14:22. 2008..The resulting gene product activates transcription leading to tumorigenesis . Since the onset of MPs may precede the signs of myotonic dystrophy, they can serve as potential early cutaneous markers for this systemic disease...
- Use of ultrasonography in the diagnosis of childhood pilomatrixomaJ Hughes
Department of Dermatology, Hillingdon Hospital, Uxbridge, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Pediatr Dermatol 16:341-4. 1999..We therefore found sonography of suspected pilomatrixomas in children to be a useful and noninvasive procedure, offering a significant improvement in the accurate diagnosis of these lesions...
- beta-Catenin gene mutation in human hair follicle-related tumorsY Kajino
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Ohtsu, Japan
Pathol Int 51:543-8. 2001..Investigation into gene abnormalities of hair-follicle tumors may elucidate the cause of their neoplastic transformation, and may provide a suggestion for the mechanism of hair development...
- Evidence for extensive locus heterogeneity in Naxos diseaseKarima Djabali
J Invest Dermatol 118:557-60. 2002
- A summary of mutations in the UV-sensitive disorders: xeroderma pigmentosum, Cockayne syndrome, and trichothiodystrophyJ E Cleaver
UCSF Cancer Center and Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0808, USA
Hum Mutat 14:9-22. 1999..XP-E by this definition contains only those cell lines and patients that have mutations in the small subunit, DDB2, of a damage-specific DNA binding protein...
- beta-Catenin expression in the transitional cell zone of pilomatricomaS W Park
Department of Dermatology, Pusan Paik Foundation Hospital, Inje University Medical College, 633 165 Kaekum Dong, Pusanjin Ku, Pusan 614 735, Korea
Br J Dermatol 145:624-9. 2001..However, the pattern of beta-catenin expression in pilomatricoma tissues is still unclear. Objectives To examine the expression of beta-catenin in human pilomatricomas by immunohistochemical staining...
- Clinicopathological study of pilomatricomaA H Darwish
Department of Pathology and Surgery, BDF Hospital, Bahrain
Saudi Med J 22:268-71. 2001..They should be considered along with other benign and malignant conditions in the clinical differential diagnosis of solitary firm skin nodules especially those, which occur in the head, neck and upper limb...
- A case of perforating pilomatricomaHarun Ciralik
Department of Pathology, Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam University, Faculty of Medicine, Kahramanmaras, Turkey
J Dermatol 33:394-8. 2006..If total excision is not the method of choice, multiple punch biopsies should be made from different areas in large skin tumors for correct diagnosis...
- Two individuals with features of both xeroderma pigmentosum and trichothiodystrophy highlight the complexity of the clinical outcomes of mutations in the XPD geneB C Broughton
Genome Damage and Stability Centre, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RR, UK
Hum Mol Genet 10:2539-47. 2001..Our findings highlight the complexities of genotype-phenotype relationships in the XPD gene...
- Naxos disease in Saudi ArabiaI Bukhari
Dermatology Department, College of Medicine, King Faisal University, Alkhobar, Saudi Arabia
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18:614-6. 2004..In this report we describe an early case of Naxos disease and we briefly review the literature of this disorder...
- Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy (Naxos disease): report of a Turkish boyNazmi Narin
Department of Pediatrics, Erciyes University, School of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 26:2326-9. 2003..It appears in families descending from the Hellenic island of Naxos. We presented a 13-year-old Turkish boy with Naxos disease associated with ventricular tachycardia because of its rarity, and reviewed the literature...
- Malignant transformation within benign adnexal skin tumoursB Liegl
Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Histopathology 45:162-70. 2004..To report five malignant trichogenic tumours arising in longstanding, previously benign adnexal neoplasms through malignant transformation. Malignant trichogenic adnexal tumours are extremely rare neoplasms...
- Basal cell carcinoma with matrical differentiation in a transplant patient: a case report and review of the literatureFaizi Ali
Department of Pathology, Division of Dermatology, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, OH 43614 2598, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:445-8. 2005..East J Med 1999; 4: 37; Kwittken J. Cutis 2002; 69: 57; Kim et al. Yonsei Med J 2003; 44: 523] of BCC showing matrical differentiation have been reported. None have been reported arising on the background of immunosuppression...
- Pilomatrixoma breast mimicking carcinomaMujahid Zulfiqar Ali
Department of Surgery, Mst 5, Mountain Field Ambulance, Azad Kashmir CMH, Hyderabad
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 15:248-9. 2005..Histopathology of the resected specimen revealed pilomatrixoma...
- Pilomatrixoma: a diagnostic pitfall in fine-needle aspiration biopsies. A review from a small county hospitalMiguel Pérez-Guillermo
Ann Diagn Pathol 9:182-3. 2005
- Multiple perforating and non perforating pilomatricomas in a patient with Churg-Strauss syndrome and Rubinstein-Taybi syndromeP Bayle
Services de Dermatologie, Place du Dr Baylac, Toulouse Cedex, France
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18:607-10. 2004..These syndromes may be independent, but these rare diseases and genetic abnormalities may be linked together...
- Papillary endothelial hyperplasia and dilated lymphatic vessels in bullous pilomatricomaLi Min Lao
Departments of Dermatology, Affiliated Second Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou 310009, China
Acta Derm Venereol 85:160-3. 2005..Abundant fibrous long-spacing collagen was observed in the connective tissue and fibroblasts within papillae...
- Pilomatrix carcinoma of the back treated by mohs micrographic surgeryDavid Sable
Mohs Fellow, Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Dermatol Surg 30:1174-6. 2004..Pilomatrix carcinoma is often clinically misdiagnosed as a sebaceous cyst and histologic difficulty can occur in differentiating this entity from the benign entity pilomatrixoma...
- Aberrantly differentiated cells in benign pilomatrixoma reflect the normal hair follicle: immunohistochemical analysis of Ca-binding S100A2, S100A3 and S100A6 proteinsK Kizawa
Basic Research Laboratory, Kanebo Cosmetics Inc, Kotobuki cho, Odawara, Japan
Br J Dermatol 152:314-20. 2005..g. S100A2 in the outer root sheath, S100A3 in the cortex and cuticle, and S100A6 in the inner root sheath), little information is available concerning their distribution in the aberrantly differentiated tissues of pilomatrixoma...
- Multiple pilomatricomas in association with spina bifidaJosie Amley Pielop
Pediatr Dermatol 22:178-9. 2005
- Lymphangiectatic variant of pilomatricomaJ Del Pozo
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Juan Canalejo, La Coruna, Spain
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18:575-6. 2004
- Isotretinoin in the treatment of multiple benign pilomatrixomas in a mixed-breed dogStefano Toma
Ospedale Veterinario Cuneese, Via Cuneo 52 N, 12011 Borgo S Dalmazzo CN, Italy
Vet Dermatol 16:346-50. 2005..No adverse effects were noted. To the authors' knowledge, this is the first report of multiple pilomatrixomas arising in a young dog and successfully controlled with oral retinoids...
- Multiple giant pilomatricoma in familial Sotos syndromeYolanda Gilaberte
Department of Dermatology, Hospital San Jorge, Huesca, Spain
Pediatr Dermatol 25:122-5. 2008..Therefore their association probably is incidental. Nevertheless, the unusual size of our patient's pilomatricomas could be due to deletion of the NSD1 gene, which characterizes Sotos syndrome...
- Follicular germinative cells in pilomatricomaWataru Nishie
Department of Dermatology, Kin ikyo Central Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Am J Dermatopathol 28:510-3. 2006....
- [Insulated arm pilomatrixoma: A rare localization. A case report]A Daoudi
Service de traumato orthopédie, CHU Hassan II, Fes, Maroc
Chir Main 25:163-5. 2006..We report a 30-year-old female patient with a rare localisation of pilomatrixoma in the right arm. The pilomatrixoma was excised and at one year follow-up there has been no evidence of recurrence...
- Is fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) useful in skin adnexal masses? A study on 5 cases of pilomatixomaPunam Prasad Bhadani
Department of Pathology, Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 50:411-4. 2007..In all the cases, FNAC established epithelial nature of the lesion, excluding clinically mimicking inflammatory/neoplastic lesions of other origin. FNAC should be followed by excision biopsy to accurately type the epithelial neoplasm...
- Pilomatricomas in children: imaging characteristics with pathologic correlationHyun Wook Lim
Department of Radiology, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Seocho Gu, Seoul 137 701, South Korea
Pediatr Radiol 37:549-55. 2007..Although pilomatricoma commonly occurs in children, there is still a poor understanding of the imaging characteristics of pilomatricoma and lack of agreement regarding its imaging findings and histopathologic features...
- Pilomatrixoma: a potential diagnostic pitfall in aspiration cytologyS Singh
Cytopathology 18:260-2. 2007
- A rare presentation of giant pilomatricoma located on the backFatih Goktay
Department of Dermatology, Haydarpasa Numune Training and Research Hospital, 34668 Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Dermatol Surg 33:596-600. 2007
- Giant pilomatricomaGian Piero Lozzi
Department of Dermatology, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
Am J Dermatopathol 29:286-9. 2007..Our report highlights an unusual clinical appearance of pilomatricoma that made us consider a variety of primary or secondary cutaneous neoplasms in its differential diagnosis...
- Pilomatricoma in a pediatric patientAdam F Gustin
Department of Radiology, Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, MA, USA
Pediatr Radiol 36:1113. 2006
- Cytokeratin profile in basal cell carcinomaElvio Alessi
Institute of Dermatological Sciences, University of Milan, Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy
Am J Dermatopathol 30:249-55. 2008..No significant difference in the CK profile among the BCC subtypes studied was found...
- A 12-year-old girl with an enlarging nontender nodule on the armAnnette M Wagner
Children s Memorial Medical Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Pediatr Ann 35:445-7. 2006
- Large, rapidly growing pilomatrixoma of the upper eyelidValentin Huerva
Ophthalmology Department, University Hospital of Arnau de Vilanova, Lleida, Spain
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 22:401-3. 2006..Pathologic examination yielded a diagnosis of giant pilomatrixoma. Pilomatrixomas are rare in adults and rarely attain such a large size. After 1 year of follow-up, no recurrence of the tumor has been observed...
- [Pilomatrixoma of the head and neck in six cases]Erdogan Okur
Department of Otolaryngology, Medicine Faculty of Kahramanmaraş Sütçü Imam University, Kahramanmaras, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 14:121-6. 2005..All the patients were treated surgically. Histopathologic diagnosis was pilomatrixoma. No recurrences or surgery-associated complications were observed in the follow-up period...
- Pilomatricoma mimicking small round cell tumor on fine needle aspiration cytology: a case reportNaveen Thapliyal
Department of Pathology, Uttaranchal Forest Hospital Trust Medical College, Haldwani, Uttaranchal, India
Acta Cytol 52:627-30. 2008..We report a rapidly growing nodular swelling misdiagnosed as round cell tumor cytologically and found to be pilomatricoma histopathologically...
- Expression patterns of hair and epithelial keratins and transcription factors HOXC13, LEF1, and beta-catenin in a malignant pilomatricoma: a histological and immunohistochemical studyBernard Cribier
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
J Cutan Pathol 33:1-9. 2006..In contrast, hHa1 expression in the upper transitional cell compartment is uncoupled from the nuclear co-expression of the LEF1/beta-catenin complex seen in normal hair follicles (Cribier et al., J Invest Dermatol 2004; 122: 1078)...
- Pilomatricoma arising at a BCG vaccination siteS Aquilina
Clin Exp Dermatol 31:296-7. 2006
- Pilomatricoma: a dermal analog of calcifying odontogenic cystH Kaveri
Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, SDM College of Dental Sciences, Dharwad 580 009, Karnataka, India
Indian J Dent Res 19:261-3. 2008..Here, we describe a case of pilomatricoma of the periorbital region in a young Indian female patient. We believe that its inclusion is essential in the differential diagnosis of hard masses of the maxillofacial and paraoral regions...
- Simultaneous multiple pilomatrixomasGulden Avci
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Dr Lütfi Kirdar Kartal Education and Research Hospital Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatr Dermatol 23:157-62. 2006..Concurrent disorders were not identified in our patient and the etiology of her pilomatrixomas was not understood. Thorough examination of the patient and long-term follow-up are necessary with these tumors...
- An unusual composite pilomatrix carcinoma with intralesional melanocytes: differential diagnosis, immunohistochemical evaluation, and review of the literaturePrashant Jani
Department of Pathology, Thunder Bay Regional Health Science Centre, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Am J Dermatopathol 30:174-7. 2008..It is possible that sun damage played a role in stimulating migration of melanocytes among matrical cells in this case...
- Pilomatrixoma: never lower your guardJosé García Solano
Diagn Cytopathol 35:457-8. 2007
- On the regulation of hair keratin expression: lessons from studies in pilomatricomasBernard Cribier
Clinique Dermatologique, Hopital Civil, Strasbourg, France
J Invest Dermatol 122:1078-83. 2004..These data imply that unlike the normal hair follicle, cortical differentiation in pilomatricomas is not under the control of the canonical Wnt signaling pathway...
- Pilomatrixoma in the parotid regionK K Phyu
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
J Laryngol Otol 115:1026-8. 2001..The use of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) and diagnostic imaging may help confirm the diagnosis. The correct treatment is surgical. However, should the tumour recur then the possibility of malignancy should be considered...
- A benign pilomatrixoma mimicking a skull vault tumour in a 9-month-old girlJ J Fitzgerald
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Nottingham, Queens Medical Centre, UK
Br J Neurosurg 17:469-70. 2003
- Multiple familial pilomatrixomasT Karpuzoglu
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 17:358-9. 2003
- beta-Catenin is expressed aberrantly in tumors expressing shadow cells. Pilomatricoma, craniopharyngioma, and calcifying odontogenic cystAshraf M Hassanein
Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, PO Box 100275, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 120:732-6. 2003..The latter could be related to their shared method of keratinization or shared dysfunction of the cellular adhesion complex leading to tumorigenesis...
- Calcified pilomatrixoma of the breast: mammographic and sonographic findingsA Imperiale
National Institute for Cancer Research, Largo R. Benzi 10, 16132, Genova, Italy
Eur Radiol 11:2465-7. 2001..The authors report the ultrasonographic and mammographic features of a case of pilomatrixoma of the breast, a rare benign neoplasm originating from the hair matrix...
- [Case of Malherbe's epithelioma and lymphocytoma of the eyelid skin]A F Gabdrakhmanova
Vestn Oftalmol 119:42-3. 2003
- Pilomatrixoma: clinicopathologic study of 51 cases with emphasis on cytologic featuresJun Wang
Department of Pathology, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, University of California Los Angeles, School of Medicine, Torrance, California, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 27:167-72. 2002..Finally, the routine use of cell blocks is recommended because in many of the cases presented ghost cells were fragmented or obscured in smears, but were more readily identified in cell block sections...
- Melanocytic matricoma: case confirmation of a recently described entityChristy M Williams
Department of Pathology, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama, USA
J Cutan Pathol 30:275-8. 2003..In 1999, Carlson et al. reported two cases of a matrical neoplasm that recapitulates the bulb of the anagen hair follicle, which they designated as melanocytic matricoma...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of pilomatricoma in three dogsCarlo Masserdotti
Clinica Veterinaria S Antonio, via Montale n degrees 2, 25087 Salo BS Italy
Vet Clin Pathol 31:22-5. 2002..Fine needle aspiration cytology is being used for the diagnosis of various neoplasms, but we are unaware of reports dealing with the cytologic features of canine pilomatricoma...
- Differential expression of cyclin D1 in the human hair follicleXiaowei Xu
Department of Pathology, Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am J Pathol 163:969-78. 2003..Our data also demonstrate that the combination of DNA macroarray, LCM and quantitative real-time PCR is a powerful approach for the study of gene expression in defined cell populations with limited starting material...
- Pilomatrixoma of the eyelid simulating a chalazionWilliam R Katowitz
Ocular Oncology Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 40:247-8. 2003
- Pilomatrix carcinoma with lymph node metastasesAssia Bassarova
Department of Pathology, Alexander University Hospital, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
J Cutan Pathol 31:330-5. 2004....
- A tumor with composite pilo-folliculosebaceous differentiation harboring a recently described new entity--melanocytic matricomaClara Rizzardi
Unit of Pathology, University of Trieste, Italy
Am J Dermatopathol 24:493-7. 2002..We believe that sunlight may have played a role in the development of this peculiar neoplasm...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of pilomatrixoma of the neck region: differentiation from metastatic undifferentiated nasopharyngeal carcinomaImad Abdien El Hag
Acta Cytol 47:526-8. 2003
- Pilomatrixoma: a diagnostic pitfall in fine-needle aspiration biopsies. A review from a small county hospitalLuciano B Lemos
Department of Pathology and Surgery Head and Neck, University of Texas Healthcare Center, Houston Medical School, Lyndon B Johnson General Hospital, Houston, TX, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 8:130-6. 2004..These are usually absent in mucoepidermoid carcinoma and represent a hallmark of PMT. This case illustrates well the risk of misdiagnosing a pre-auricular PMT as a malignant tumor of the parotid gland...
- Basal cell carcinoma with matrical differentiation: a case study with analysis of beta-cateninHenry D Haskell
Department of Pathology, Division of Dermatopathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:245-50. 2005..Immunohistochemical and molecular methods are used to differentiate this lesion from benign or malignant forms of pilomatrixoma. differentiation: a case study with analysis of beta-catenin...
- Visceral carcinoma with shadow cell differentiation can mimic pilomatrix carcinomaMichal Zamecnik
Am J Dermatopathol 24:446; author reply 446-7. 2002
- Pilomatrix carcinoma: case report and review of literatureR Dutta
Department of Tissue Pathology, ICPMR, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Pathology 33:248-51. 2001..We discuss the differential diagnosis of this rare tumour, and the difficulty in distinguishing this lesion from an atypical proliferating pilomatrixoma. Ultrastructural features of pilomatrix carcinoma are also discussed...
- Beta-catenin expression in benign and malignant pilomatrix neoplasmsA M Hassanein
Department of Pathology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, USA
Br J Dermatol 150:511-6. 2004..Exon 3 beta-catenin-activating mutations were found in 75% of cases of pilomatricoma (PM). Previous studies have shown that nuclear and/or cytoplasmic staining may correlate with beta-catenin gene mutation...
- [Benign hair-follicle derived eyelids tumors in adults]E Mencía Gutiérrez
Hospital 12 de Octubre, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Espana
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 77:605-10. 2002..Benign eyelid neoplasms derived from hair follicles are frequently misdiagnosed, including pilomatricoma, trichoepithelioma, trichilemmoma, trichoblastoma and inverted follicular keratosis...
- Fine-needle aspiration features of pilomatrixomaM M Lemos
Department of Pathology, Gothenburg University Musculoskeletal Tumor Center, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Cancer 93:252-6. 2001..Recognition of a unique constellation of cytologic features in FNA smears in the appropriate clinical context is most helpful in making this distinction...
- Hair loss in elderly womenWenChieh Chen
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Eur J Dermatol 20:145-51. 2010..Further senile changes in physiology and immunity may influence the onset and course of hair diseases. Some preexisting diseases such as androgenetic alopecia usually worsen after menopause, while others, like ..
- [New and established methods in therapy of hair diseases]R M Trueb
Dermatologische Klinik, Universitatsspital Zurich
Hautarzt 54:732-40. 2003..Finally, developments in hair care and anti-aging medicine are discussed, with special referral to the evolving difficulty of delineating medical science from marketing strategies in this trendy field...
- [Hair diseases in childhood]H Hamm
Klinik und Poliklinik für Haut und Geschlechtskrankheiten, Bayerischen Julius Maximilians Universität Würzburg
Ther Umsch 59:223-7. 2002This paper focuses on four important hair diseases mainly occurring in children. Trichotillomania is the most relevant differential diagnosis of alopecia areata in childhood...
- Pediatric skin disorders encountered in a dermatology outpatient clinic in TurkeyUlker Gul
Dermatology Clinic, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Pediatr Dermatol 25:277-8. 2008..6%) followed by, eczemas (17.9%), acne (14,5%), papulosquamous diseases (6.9%), hair diseases (4.1%), pigmentation disorders (3.8%), generalized pruritus (2.8%), urticaria (2.7%), and insect bite (2.3%)...
- Cicatricial Alopecia Research Symposium 2011: Lipids, Inflammation &Stem CellsPratima Karnik; Fiscal Year: 2011..The time is ripe for bringing national/international attention to this clinically challenging and biologically fascinating group of hair diseases.
- Roles of Hox genes in skin and hair follicle developmentAlexander Awgulewitsch; Fiscal Year: 2010..Defining this network is critical for understanding mechanisms involved in numerous skin and hair diseases, including diseases that result in alopecia and some skin cancers...
- ANIMAL MODELS AS BIOMEDICAL TOOLS: SKIN & HAIR MUTATIONSJohn Sundberg; Fiscal Year: 2000..In particular, a live clinic featuring human volunteer subjects with a variety of skin and hair diseases, will be presented in parallel with the mouse models used for studying those diseases...
- DNA Damage and Neurodegeneration in Cockayne SyndromeJames Cleaver; Fiscal Year: 2009..Successful conclusion of these studies will expand our knowledge of mechanisms of neurodegeneration and lay groundwork for development of therapeutic approaches for CS patients. ..
- The XP Variant: A Human Mutator Gene for UV DamageJames Cleaver; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will express hRad3O on the keratin 14 promoter for over-expression in the skin, and make targeted knockout of mRad3O in vivo to identify roles for hRad3O in promoting and preventing carcinogenesis. ..
- A ROLE FOR NOGGIN AND BMP2/4 IN HAIR GROWTH CONTROLVladimir Botchkarev; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Yearly Mass Treatment C. Trachomatis: When Can We Stop?Sheila West; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Who drives safely? Visual/cognitive predictors in EldersSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study will provide critical data on the interactive role of vision, visual attention, and cognition in changing older persons driving behaviors, and the resulting effect on driver errors and risk of crashes. ..
- Latino Eye Health: A Communication Strategy for DiabetesSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2007..Improvements in eye care seeking behaviors should help in avoiding visual loss from diabetic retinopathy and macula edema, the leading causes of visual loss in the working age Latino population. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cataract: Health Disparity for Older African-AmericansSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will advance the goal of reducing health disparity in visual disability from cataract among older African Americans. ..
- FUNCTION OF NOGGIN IN HAIR FOLLICLE GROWTH AND DISEASEVladimir Botchkarev; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF CHEMOTHERAPY-INDUCED HAIR LOSSVladimir Botchkarev; Fiscal Year: 2005..Patients with many forms of p53-negative cancers treated by chemotherapy may ultimately benefit from this study. ..
- Investigation of xrcc5 Mutant MiceEDWARD HASTY; Fiscal Year: 2005..The role of the tumor suppression protein, p53, will be analyzed for its impact on oncogenesis in ku80-mutant mice with specific attention given to mammary tissue in a defined mouse model. ..
- SPECIAL POPULATIONS NETWORK FOR CANCER CONTROLEdith Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- TRIAL OF ANTIBIOTICS TO REDUCE RECURRENT TRICHIASISSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- AMD AND RISK FACTORS IN A HISPANIC POPULATIONSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such data will advance our understanding of the magnitude of AMD in this ethnic group, and the way in which risk factors relate to AMD in different populations. ..
- INTERVENTIONS FOR VISUAL LOSS IN NURSING HOME RESIDENTSSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2002..This trial will answer timely questions of the impact on the functional status of the most frail elderly of modest, potentially sustainable inputs into improving the appropriate utilization of eye care services. ..