Genomes and Genes
Summary: Diseases in which skin eruptions or rashes are a prominent manifestation. Classically, six such diseases were described with similar rashes; they were numbered in the order in which they were reported. Only the fourth (Duke's disease), fifth (ERYTHEMA INFECTIOSUM), and sixth (EXANTHEMA SUBITUM) numeric designations survive as occasional synonyms in current terminology.
Publications254 found, 100 shown here
- [Drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS) attributed to the oral skin-care supplement Imedeen]J F van Leeuwen
Inspectie voor de Gezondheidszorg, Postbus 16 119, 2500 BC Den Haag
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:1353-6. 2005..Single or multiple organ involvement, especially of the liver, kidney, lungs and/or heart, is also common. The syndrome is associated with a number of different drugs...
- Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and treatment of EGFR inhibitor-associated dermatologic toxicitiesMario E Lacouture
Dermatology Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Rockefeller Outpatient Pavilion Suite 228, 160 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022, USA
Support Care Cancer 19:1079-95. 2011..The purpose of this panel was to develop evidence-based recommendations for EGFRI-associated dermatologic toxicities...
- Phase I/II trial of cetuximab and erlotinib in patients with lung adenocarcinoma and acquired resistance to erlotinibYelena Y Janjigian
Gastrointestinal and Thoracic Oncology Services, Division of Solid Tumor Oncology, Department of Medicine and Radiology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10065, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:2521-7. 2011..To evaluate the toxicity and efficacy of cetuximab and erlotinib in patients with acquired resistance to erlotinib, we conducted this phase I/II clinical trial...
- Skin toxicities associated with epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitorsTianhong Li
Department of Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Target Oncol 4:107-19. 2009..A randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study has been initiated to evaluate the clinical efficacy of menadione topical cream, in the treatment or prevention of EGFR inhibitor-induced skin toxicity...
- Determinants of tumor response and survival with erlotinib in patients with non--small-cell lung cancerRoman Perez-Soler
Department of Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 111 E 210th St, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:3238-47. 2004..This phase II study of erlotinib in patients with HER1/EGFR-expressing non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy evaluated tumor response, survival, and symptom improvement...
- Tetracycline to prevent epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor-induced skin rashes: results of a placebo-controlled trial from the North Central Cancer Treatment Group (N03CB)Aminah Jatoi
Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 113:847-53. 2008..Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitors are effective cancer therapies, but they are reported to cause a rash in >50% of patients. In the current study, the authors examined the use of tetracycline for rash prevention...
- Zika virus outbreak on Yap Island, Federated States of MicronesiaMark R Duffy
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
N Engl J Med 360:2536-43. 2009..No previous outbreaks and only 14 cases of Zika virus disease have been previously documented...
- Systemic drug-related intertriginous and flexural exanthema (SDRIFE)Sarina B Elmariah
Department of Dermatology, New York University, USA
Dermatol Online J 15:3. 2009..The clinical and histopathologic findings were consistent with systemic drug-related intertriginous and flexural exanthema (SDRIFE), which is an uncommon drug reaction that results in symmetric erythema that affects the buttocks, groin,..
- Papular purpuric rash due to parvovirus B19 with distribution on the distal extremities and the faceLiora Harel
Department of Pediatrics C, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tikva, 49202 Israel
Clin Infect Dis 35:1558-61. 2002..Serologic analysis for parvovirus B19 yielded positive results. Parvovirus B19 should be included in the evaluation of febrile purpura...
- Symmetrical drug-related intertriginous and flexural exanthemaSze Chin Tan
Department of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore, Singapore
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 11:313-8. 2011Symmetrical drug-related intertriginous and flexural exanthema (SDRIFE), previously termed drug-related baboon syndrome, is a benign and self-limiting type IV hypersensitivity reaction characterized by symmetrical erythema involving the ..
- Generalized petechial rashes in children during a parvovirus B19 outbreakM Bruce Edmonson
Division of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Pediatrics 125:e787-92. 2010....
- Cutaneous adverse effects with HER1/EGFR-targeted agents: is there a silver lining?Roman Perez-Soler
Department of Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:5235-46. 2005..The cause of the possible relationship between rash and clinical benefit remains unclear at this time, and additional studies are needed to determine the clinical utility of this observation...
- First case of symmetric drug-related intertriginous and flexural exanthema (sdrife) due to rivastigmine?Gwenaëlle Allain-Veyrac
Clinical Pharmacology Department, CHU de Nantes, France
Am J Clin Dermatol 12:210-3. 2011..2004, some authors proposed the acronym SDRIFE standing for 'symmetric drug-related intertriginous and flexural exanthema' specifically for cases elicited by systemically administered drugs...
- A study of the specificity of lymphocytes in nevirapine-induced skin rashXin Chen
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, 144 College Street, Toronto, Canada M5S 3M2
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 331:836-41. 2009..This has significant implications for understanding the evolution of an immune response and the basis of the pharmacological interaction hypothesis...
- Can rash associated with HER1/EGFR inhibition be used as a marker of treatment outcome?Roman Perez-Soler
Department of Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center, Division of Medical Oncology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 17:23-8. 2003..Further study of the potentially important association between rash and outcome of treatment with EGFR-targeted agents is needed...
- Do patients die from rashes from epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors? A systematic review to help counsel patients about holding therapyAminah Jatoi
Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Oncologist 13:1201-4. 2008..It suggests that quality of life issues should remain at the forefront as cancer patients and health care providers make decisions about holding cancer therapy...
- Management of drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS syndrome): an updateS Tas
Department of Dermatology, Erasme University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Dermatology 206:353-6. 2003..In the absence of a well-established therapy, primary and secondary prevention have a key role in the management of DRESS syndrome...
- Early skin toxicity as a predictive factor for tumor control in hepatocellular carcinoma patients treated with sorafenibBruno Vincenzi
Department of Surgical and Oncological Sciences, Section of Medical Oncology Università di Palermo, Palermo, Italy, Via del Vespro 127, 90127 Palermo, Italy
Oncologist 15:85-92. 2010..This study was conducted to assess the link between the antitumor efficacy of sorafenib and its early cutaneous side effects in advanced HCC patients...
- Clinical toxicity of highly active antiretroviral therapy in a home-based AIDS care program in rural UgandaFatu Forna
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:456-62. 2007..We evaluated clinical toxicity in HIV-infected persons receiving antiretroviral therapy (ART) in Uganda...
- Multicenter phase II study of erlotinib, an oral epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell cancer of the head and neckDenis Soulieres
CHUM, Hospital Notre Dame, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Oncol 22:77-85. 2004..To determine the efficacy and safety profiles of erlotinib in patients with advanced recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell cancer of the head and neck (HNSCC)...
- Isotretinoin plus clindamycin seem highly effective against severe erlotinib-induced skin rash in advanced non-small cell lung cancerPaolo Bidoli
Medical Oncology Unit, S Gerardo Hospital, Monza, Italy
J Thorac Oncol 5:1662-3. 2010..No effective treatment for the rash is available...
- Up-regulation of CCL17, CCL22 and CCR4 in drug-induced maculopapular exanthemaB Tapia
Research Unit, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Clin Exp Allergy 37:704-13. 2007Maculopapular exanthema has been reported to be the most frequently drug-induced cutaneous reaction...
- Correlation between development of rash and efficacy in patients treated with the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor erlotinib in two large phase III studiesBret Wacker
OSI Pharmaceuticals, Boulder, Colorado 80301, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:3913-21. 2007..Data from two large phase III studies were analyzed to characterize the correlation between the occurrence of rash during treatment with the epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor erlotinib and improved clinical outcomes...
- Tula virus infection associated with fever and exanthema after a wild rodent biteD Schultze
Department of Virology, Institute for Clinical Microbiology and Immunology, Frohbergstrasse 3, 9001 St Gallen, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 21:304-6. 2002..In this case, paronychia, fever and exanthema occurred after the patient was bitten by a wild rodent, indicating an unusual route of hantavirus transmission...
- Multicenter phase II and translational study of cetuximab in metastatic colorectal carcinoma refractory to irinotecan, oxaliplatin, and fluoropyrimidinesHeinz Josef Lenz
Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4914-21. 2006..It also evaluated the safety, pharmacokinetics, immunokinetics, and biologic determinants of activity...
- Cytokine and chemokine expression in the skin from patients with maculopapular exanthema to drugsT D Fernandez
Research Laboratory for Allergic Diseases, Carlos Haya Hospital Fundacion IMABIS, Malaga, Spain
Allergy 63:712-9. 2008Maculopapular exanthema (MPE) is the most frequent clinical manifestation of nonimmediate allergic reactions to drugs and T helper 1 (Th1) cytokines and CD4(+) T cells have been shown to play an important role in its pathogenesis...
- Carbamazepine-induced DRESS syndrome with recurrent fever and exanthemaJulia Valencak
Department of Dermatology, Division of General Dermatology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Int J Dermatol 43:51-4. 2004
- Managing cutaneous reactions to imatinib therapySimon A J Rule
Blood 100:3434-5. 2002
- Successful progressive challenge after a cutaneous reaction to imatinib mesylate (Gleevec): a case report and review of the literatureMiguel A Park
Division of Allergic Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 25:345-7. 2004..We describe a case of a successful progressive challenge of a patient with a drug-induced exanthem from imatinib mesylate and a review of the literature...
- Adverse cutaneous reactions to imatinib (STI571) in Philadelphia chromosome-positive leukemias: a prospective study of 54 patientsLaurence Valeyrie
Department of Dermatology, Henri Mondor Hospital Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Paris XII University, F 94010 Paris Cedex, France
J Am Acad Dermatol 48:201-6. 2003..Imatinib is a new major treatment in chronic myeloid leukemia...
- The Schnitzler syndrome. Four new cases and review of the literatureD Lipsker
Clinique Dermatologique, Hopitaux Universitaires, Strasbourg, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 80:37-44. 2001..In some patients, these symptoms and/or the presence of severe inflammatory anemia require steroids and/or immunosuppressive treatment, which ameliorate inflammatory symptoms but do not change the course of the skin rash...
- Cetuximab monotherapy and cetuximab plus irinotecan in irinotecan-refractory metastatic colorectal cancerDavid Cunningham
Royal Marsden Hospital, London, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 351:337-45. 2004..We compared the efficacy of cetuximab in combination with irinotecan with that of cetuximab alone in metastatic colorectal cancer that was refractory to treatment with irinotecan...
- DermatomyositisJeffrey P Callen
Division of Dermatology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, KY 40202, USA
Clin Dermatol 24:363-73. 2006..Therapy of the skin disease begins with photoprotection and topical corticosteroids, but also includes the use of antimalarial agents and immunomodulatory therapies...
- Pathogenesis of drug-induced exanthemsW Pichler
Division of Allergology, Clinic for Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, University of Bern, Switzerland
Allergy 57:884-93. 2002
- Erlotinib-induced skin rash in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer: pathogenesis, clinical significance, and managementSotirios Tsimboukis
Oncology Unit, Third Department of Medicine, Athens Medical School, Sotiria General Hospital, Greece
Clin Lung Cancer 10:106-11. 2009....
- Engraftment syndrome following autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: definition of diagnostic criteriaA Maiolino
University Hospital, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Bone Marrow Transplant 31:393-7. 2003..0007). The prospective application of these diagnostic criteria may have a favorable impact on the early diagnosis of the syndrome, with the initiation of corticosteroids and a reduction in the unnecessary use of antimicrobial agents...
- The Koebner-phenomenon in epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor-induced cutaneous adverse effectsPeter Arne Gerber
J Clin Oncol 26:2790-2. 2008
- Cross-sensitivity between paroxetine and sertralineCaroline A Warnock
Department of Pharmaceutical Services, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 36:631-3. 2002..To report a case of possible cross-sensitivity between selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)...
- Simian varicella virus infects ganglia before rash in experimentally infected monkeysR Mahalingam
Department of Neurology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, 80262, USA
Virology 279:339-42. 2001..Like other organs, monkey ganglia become infected with SVV before the appearance of rash...
- Does sunscreen prevent epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitor-induced rash? Results of a placebo-controlled trial from the North Central Cancer Treatment Group (N05C4)Aminah Jatoi
Mayo Clinic Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Oncologist 15:1016-22. 2010..Rash occurs in >50% of patients prescribed epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitors. This study was undertaken to determine whether sunscreen prevents or mitigates these rashes...
- Sparing of previously irradiated skin from erlotinib-induced acneiform rashSuayib Yalcin
J Am Acad Dermatol 58:178-9. 2008
- Acute exanthematous pustular drug eruption induced by mexiletineK Sasaki
Department of Dermatology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, School of Medicine, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
Eur J Dermatol 11:469-71. 2001..We conclude that pustules, infiltrated erythema and facial edema were the signs of acute exanthematous pustular drug eruption induced by mexiletine hydrochloride...
- Aminopenicillin-induced exanthema allows treatment with certain cephalosporins or phenoxymethyl penicillinJiri Trcka
Department of Dermatology, Venerology and Allergology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:107-11. 2007Aminopenicillin-induced exanthema poses a problem in the management of infectious diseases. Due to theoretically possible immunological cross-reactivity, all beta-lactam drugs, i.e...
- Temporal dependence of the effect of radiation on erlotinib-induced skin rashMario E Lacouture
J Clin Oncol 25:2140; author reply 2141. 2007
- Practical management of patients with non-small-cell lung cancer treated with gefitinibNeelam T Shah
Thoracic Oncology Service, Division of Solid Tumor Oncology, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:165-74. 2005..Many of the principles of management relevant to gefitinib are distinct from those with conventional cytotoxic drugs. To meet this need, we present practical guidelines on the use of gefitinib in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer...
- A 33-year-old man with a facial rashJohn Fleming
Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 1:e17; quiz e12. 2004
- Streptococcal toxic shock syndrome with initial manifestation of abdominal pain and cholecystitisTe Yu Hung
Chi Mei Foundation Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, Yung Kang City, Taiwan
Acta Paediatr Taiwan 46:106-10. 2005..These clinical findings and the plasma analysis were consistent with streptococcal toxic shock syndrome...
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome in a child with Kawasaki diseaseApril Lynne Palmer
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, Jackson, MS 39216 4505, USA
South Med J 98:1031-3. 2005..The severity of the patient's pulmonary disease led clinicians to suspect toxic shock syndrome. Clinicians need to be aware that pulmonary manifestations of Kawasaki disease can include acute respiratory distress syndrome...
- Rash and fever in an ill-appearing childCarol L Blackwood
Naval Hospital Jacksonville, FL 32244, USA
Am Fam Physician 70:361-3. 2004
- [Laboratory diagnosis of patients with exanthematic or febrile syndromes occurring in the Zulia State, Venezuela, during 1998]Luciana Costa de Leóna
Escuela de Bioanalisis, Facultad de Medicina, Instituto de Investigaciones Clinicas, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Rev Med Chil 132:1078-84. 2004..Exanthematic diseases are a group of syndromes mainly caused by acute viral infections...
- Ciprofloxacin-induced acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis mimicking bullous drug eruption confirmed by a positive patch testP Hausermann
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Dermatology 211:277-80. 2005..Furthermore, we highlight in this particular case the challenging differentiation from bullous drug eruption...
- Histopathology of drug-induced exanthems: is there a role in diagnosis of drug allergy?Marcel Brönnimann
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 5:317-21. 2005..This review focuses on histopathological and immunohistochemical findings of drug-induced maculo-papular exanthems and discusses the value of skin biopsies and consequent histopathological examination in the diagnosis of these reactions...
- Engraftment syndrome after autologous peripheral blood progenitor cell transplantation in pediatric patients: a prospective evaluation of risk factors and outcomeM Gonzalez-Vicent
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Hospital Nino Jesus, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
Bone Marrow Transplant 34:1051-5. 2004..A high number of CD34+ cells/kg infused, patients transplanted in early phase, the type of malignancy (solid tumor) and conditioning regimens other than busulfan based were significantly associated with ES in a multivariate analysis...
- Drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms induced by lamotrigine therapyN Parri
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 20:643-5. 2007
- [Cutaneous drug reactions]Claus Lützow-Holm
Hudavdelingen, Ulleval universitetssykehus, 0407 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 125:2483-7. 2005..Adverse cutaneous reactions to drugs are frequent in general practice. This article is a review of current knowledge of the pathogenesis, differential diagnosis and practical management of this wide spectrum of cutaneous manifestations...
- Macrophage activation syndromeM K Kumar
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College Hospital, Trivandrum
J Assoc Physicians India 54:238-40. 2006..We report a case in which a female admitted with fever and rash, initially had systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) like clinical presentation, but eventually proved to be a rare case of fatal Macrophage Activation Syndrome...
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 36-2007. A 31-year-old woman with rash, fever, and hypotensionMarc S Sabatine
Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 357:2167-78. 2007
- Allergic contact dermatitis from a topical corticosteroid mimicking acute generalized exanthematous pustulosisSigurd Broesby-Olsen
Acta Derm Venereol 85:444-5. 2005
- Possible drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms syndrome after exposure to epoetin alfaNick Norgard
Iowa Methodist Medical Center IMMC, Des Moines, IA, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 62:2524-6. 2005
- [Adverse effects and safety of antimicrobial agents--allergy]Zenro Ikezawa
Department of Dermatology, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 65:578-86. 2007
- Murine typhus in Cyprus: 21 paediatric casesM Koliou
Department of Paediatrics, Infectious Diseases and Immunology Unit, Archbishop Makarios Hospital, Nicosia, Cyprus
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 26:491-3. 2007..Rickettsia typhi infection should be considered in the differential diagnosis of children who present during the summer or early autumn months with prolonged fever and rash with or without lymphadenopathy...
- Adult onset Still's disease: a study of 14 casesS Singh
Department of Rheumatology, P D Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Center, V S Marg, Mahim w, Mumbai 16, India
Clin Rheumatol 27:35-9. 2008..Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, steroids, and methotrexate may not be always effective, and cyclosporine is an effective drug in resistant cases. Sulfasalazine should be avoided in cases of AOSD...
- [Fever and maculopapular exanthema as first manifestation of lymphoma]F J Fernández Fernández
An Med Interna 24:204-5. 2007
- [Brown recluse bite]Moshe Nehemya
Kaplan Medical Center, Rehovot
Harefuah 147:672-6, 752. 2008..The objective of this review is to increase awareness towards recluse bites, thereby preventing misdiagnoses and unnecessary treatments...
- [Clinical analysis of childhood acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis]Jiang Lin Zhang
Department of Dermatology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 10:497-9. 2008..To describe the etiology, clinical features and treatment of childhood acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis (AGEP)...
- [Adverse cutaneous drug reactions]R A Rupec
Klinik und Poliklinik für Dermatologie und Allergologie der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:2685-94. 2007
- A four-year-old boy with fever, rash, and arthritisErin F D Mathes
Departments of Dermatology and Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0316, USA
Semin Cutan Med Surg 26:179-87. 2007..The important features which can help distinguish these conditions include the nature of the rash, associated signs or symptoms, time course of the eruption, and characteristic laboratory and/or histologic findings...
- Pre-engraftment syndrome in hematopoietic stem cell transplantationYoung Ho Lee
Department of Pediatrics and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Center, Hanyang University Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 23:98-103. 2008..The close observation and further pathophysiological research are required to better understand this syndrome...
- Mercury-induced acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis misdiagnosed as a drug-related caseHichem Belhadjali
Department of Dermatology, Fattouma Bourguiba Hospital, Monastir 500, Tunisia
Contact Dermatitis 59:52-4. 2008
- The tumor-necrosis-factor-associated periodic syndrome, the brain, and tumor-necrosis-factor-alpha antagonistsB Wildemann
Division of Molecular Neuroimmunology, Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Neurology 68:1742-4. 2007
- Fever and rash in a child: when to worry?Cheryl Aber
Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, Cedar Medical Center, Miami, Florida 33125, USA
Pediatr Ann 36:30-8. 2007..This article is not all-inclusive but is meant to aid in the diagnosis to differentiate serious, life-threatening eruptions from more benign common rashes...
- 57-year-old Asian-American man with Kikuchi's diseaseDeryll U Ambrocio
University of Hawai i, Internal Medicine Residency Program, 1356 Lusitana St, 7th Floor, Honolulu, HI 96813 2427, USA
Hawaii Med J 65:315-7. 2006..The ratio of affected women to men is 4:1 with the average age of onset less than 30 years. We report a case of KD in a 57-year-old Asian-American man whose presentation is associated with Adult Still's Disease...
- Rituximab in the management of chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: an effective and safe therapeutic alternative in refractory patientsFrancisco Javier Peñalver
Ann Hematol 85:400-6. 2006..Rituximab induced clinical responses in multi-treated refractory ITP patients with little toxicity and should be considered as an early therapeutic option in this setting, even as an alternative to splenectomy in selected patients...
- Fever, eosinophilia, and a rashGerlinde Obermoser
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:913-4. 2006
- A 2 year old with a rashK Martin
Department of Neonatology, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester LE5 4PW, UK
Postgrad Med J 82:e6. 2006
- [Parvovirus B19]A Schindler
Medizinische Poliklinik, Universitatsspital Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:609-15; quiz 616. 2006
- Severe dapsone hypersensitivity syndromeO Sener
Division of Allergy, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 16:268-70. 2006..We report the case of a 21-year-old female patient with dapsone hypersensitivity syndrome. The clinical presentation mimicked a viral exanthema.
- [Diagnostic image (281). A girl with fever, a sore throat and a rash]J M P J Breur
Isala Klinieken, Amalia Kinderafdeling, Zwolle
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 150:1508. 2006Scarlet fever was diagnosed in a girl with high fever, a sore throat and exanthema marginatum.
- Esophagitis and anticonvulsant hypersensitivity syndromeC Balatsinou
Department of Medicine and Science of Aging, Section of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology and Section of Infectious Diseases, G D Annunzio University and Foundation, Chieti, Italy
Endoscopy 38:957. 2006
- [Drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS) following imatinib therapy]P Le Nouail
Service de Dermatologie et Venereologie, Hopital Sud, Amiens, France
Ann Dermatol Venereol 133:686-8. 2006..Imatinib (Gleevec) is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor used to treat chronic myeloid leukemia. We describe a case of drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS) after institution of treatment with imatinib...
- Soluble FAS ligand: a discriminating feature between drug-induced skin eruptions and viral exanthemasKaroline Stur
Division of Immunology, Allergy and Infectious Diseases DIAID, Department of Dermatology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna General Hospital, Vienna, Austria
J Invest Dermatol 127:802-7. 2007..As controls, healthy persons and patients with other inflammatory skin diseases such as viral exanthema were analyzed...
- Meningoencephalitis as a presentation of Kawasaki diseaseEntesar Husain
Department of Pediatrics, Amiri Hospital, Adan, Kuwait
J Child Neurol 21:1080-1. 2006..The neurologic outcome of this patient was excellent, with full recovery without any neurologic deficit. The case report is followed by a review of the neurologic associations and complications of Kawasaki disease...
- Acute developing generalized pustular rashMartin J Koehler
Department of Dermatology, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Jena, Germany
Am J Clin Dermatol 9:189-92. 2008
- Syndromic surveillance for measleslike illnesses in a managed care settingJames D Nordin
HealthPartners Research Foundation, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
J Infect Dis 189:S222-6. 2004..Provider education regarding evaluation and reporting of measles is warranted. Databases at health care plans can be used to address public health issues and to establish syndromic surveillance for communicable diseases...
- Engraftment syndrome in children undergoing autologous peripheral blood progenitor cell transplantationL Madero
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Hospital Infantil Niño Jesus, Madrid, Spain
Bone Marrow Transplant 30:355-8. 2002..In summary, we have found ES to be the most important cause of morbidity and mortality in children undergoing autologous PBPCT...
- Hypersensitivity syndrome (DRESS) and meningoencephalitis associated with nevirapine therapyM Lanzafame
, Ospedale Civile di Legnago, Verona, Italy
Scand J Infect Dis 33:475-6. 2001..Recently the condition has been described in HIV-infected patients taking antiretroviral agents. We report the first case, to our knowledge, of DRESS syndrome complicated by meningoencephalitis associated with nevirapine therapy...
- Clinical issues in the administration of an anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibody, IMC-C225Ellen Hollywood
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital, 504 East 63rd St 28 N, New York, NY 10021, USA
Semin Oncol Nurs 18:30-5. 2002..To review the clinical safety experience of the monoclonal antibody IMC-C225, focusing on two clinically important adverse events: acne-like rash and allergic reactions. In addition, practical administration issues are discussed...
- Diagnosis and management of suspected cases of bioterrorism: a pediatric perspectiveHanoch A Patt
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Pediatrics 109:685-92. 2002..The system controlling the interaction between public and nonpublic health laboratories in suspected cases of bioterrorism is described. Finally, information regarding emergency contacts and links to educational resources is provided...
- [Immunoallergic interstitial nephritis vs. cholesterol atheroembolism. Differentiating characteristics]B Espejo
Servicio de Nefrologia, Hospital 12 de Octubre, Avda De Córdoba, S N 28041 Madrid
Nefrologia 23:125-30. 2003..In summary, the analysis of clinical and laboratory data allows an initial differential diagnosis in patients suspected as having IIN or ATD...
- Visual diagnosis: a febrile child who has "red eyes" and a rashMuhammad Waseem
Lincoln Hospital, Bronx, NY, USA
Pediatr Rev 24:245-8. 2003
- Kawasaki diseaseLoren G Yamamoto
University of Hawaii John A Burns School of Medicine, Emergency Department, Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 19:422-4. 2003
- Prolonged anticonvulsant hypersensitivity syndrome related to lamotrigine in a patient with human immunodeficiency virusThomas C Beller
Department of Medicine and Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 23:415-9. 2002..We report the occurrence of a prolonged hypersensitivity syndrome likely related to lamotrigine in a 32-year-old female with HIV and review the literature regarding this condition...
- Atypical exanthems: morphology and laboratory investigations may lead to an aetiological diagnosis in about 70% of casesF Drago
DiSEM Section of Dermatology, University of Genoa, V le Benedetto XV 7, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Br J Dermatol 147:255-60. 2002..Their aetiological diagnosis is difficult but crucial for both the patient and community concerning issues such as time off school, immunizations, and risks for pregnant women and immunocompromised patients...
- Mevalonate kinase deficiency: Evidence for a phenotypic continuumA Simon
Departments of General Internal Medicine, Section of DNA Diagnostics, Laboratory for Pediatrics and Neurology, University Medical Center St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Neurology 62:994-7. 2004..Mevalonate kinase deficiency should be considered in adult patients with fitting neurologic symptoms, with or without periodic fever attacks...
- Clinical pearls: A 2-year-old female with a rashDaniel E Lewis
Department of Emergency Medicine, Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, Pitt County Memorial Hospital, Greenville, NC, USA
Acad Emerg Med 11:383-7. 2004
- Index of suspicionFrancesco Mulè
Jacobi Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Pediatr Rev 25:254-9. 2004
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 30-2002. An eight-year-old girl with fever, hemoptysis, and pulmonary consolidationsBrian P O'Sullivan
N Engl J Med 347:1009-17. 2002
- Human parvovirus B19 infection in children: uncommon clinical presentationsJudith Barash
Division of Pediatrics, Kaplan Medical Center, Rehovot, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:763-5. 2002..HPV is also suspected of playing a role in the pathogenesis of various chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, such as systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, Kawasaki disease and multiple sclerosis...
- Acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis (AGEP), an uncommon condition in children: case report and review of the literatureK P Meadows
Department of Dermatology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City 84132-0001, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 17:399-402. 2000..It is usually seen as a medication reaction. We describe a 17-month-old boy with AGEP secondary to exposure to amoxicillin. This is an uncommon condition in children...
- A 32-year-old man with tuberculosis, fever, and rashRachel E Story
Division of Allergy Immunology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 14108, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 92:495-9. 2004
- Dapsone hypersensitivity syndrome masquerading as a viral exanthem: three cases and a mini-reviewA K H Tee
Department of Medicine, Changi General Hospital, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 33:375-8. 2004..We report 3 cases of dapsone hypersensitivity syndrome due to anti-malarial chemoprophylactic treatment with maloprim, in military servicemen, presenting like a viral exanthem...
- EIGHTEENTH INTERNATIONAL HERPES VIRUS MEETINGJoseph Glorioso; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- ANALYSIS OF THE HUMAN HERPESVIRUS 6 GENOMIC TERMINIGARY LINDQUESTER; Fiscal Year: 1992..Finally, the feasibility of initiating functional analysis by generating HHV-6/CCV amplicons and intertypic recombinants will be explored...
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF VARICELLA ZOSTER VIRUS INFECTIONMartin Myers; Fiscal Year: 1980..Both aspects of this proposal will permit examination of the specific immunologic parameters of VZV infection. ..
- GLYCOPROTEINS OF HUMAN HERPESVIRUS-6Bala Chandran; Fiscal Year: 1992..The studies outlined in this proposal are significant because these studies will lead into important insight in to the biology of HHV-6...
- Varicella Zoster Virus:Clinical Implications of ImmunitySaul Silverstein; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally we will identify the nuclear localization signal of ORF 29p and determine whether nuclear translocation is a prerequisite for reactivation from latency. ..
- DNA SCREENING ASSAY FOR HUMAN HERPES VIRUSFrank White; Fiscal Year: 1993..In Phase II, we will refine and extend these procedures for distinguishing among the subtypes of HHV-6 that have been detected in infected clinical specimens of blood, saliva, urine, and tissue...
- Mechanisms and Therapeutics in Cancer Anorexia/CachexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..This K23 grant application will serve as a springboard to allow her to delve into the pathophysiology of this syndrome and to develop into an independent clinical investigator. ..
- Creatine: Is It a Body Builder for Cancer Patients?Aminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..obtain longitudinal toxicity and quality of life data on this same cohort of 50 patients and will make direct comparisons between treatment arms on toxicity incidence and severity and on maximal quality of life scores ..
- Neuropeptide Y for Cancer-Associated AnorexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2003..These two pilot studies will allow us to lay the groundwork for such larger trials. Our ultimate goal is to help cancer patients who suffer from anorexia. ..
- Chemotherapy and anti-EGFR Antibody C225 in Lung CancerRoman Perez Soler; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- INNOVATIVE TUMOR TARGETED THERAPIES FOR LUNG CANCERRoman Perez Soler; Fiscal Year: 2004..Four such candidates have already been identified. It is anticipated that a total of ten young clinical investigators will be mentored during a five-year period. ..
- CATIONIC LIPID/P53 GENE THERAPY IN LUNG CANCER PATIENTSRoman Perez Soler; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of this study will provide initial but very valuable information on the potential use of this new strategy in the treatment of bronchial premalignancy, carcinoma in situ, and endobronchial lung tumors. ..
- Determinants of Resistance to Erlotinib in NSCLCRoman Perez Soler; Fiscal Year: 2010..To confirm the predictive value of the algorithm in a group of patients with chemoresistant NSCLC selected for their high probability of achieving a response or stable disease with single agent erlotinib therapy. ..
- Long-Circulating Liposomal Camptothecins CAP and EAPRoman Perez Soler; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, we will seek formulation(s) that display optimized drug retention and in vivo and in vitro performance. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Not Available ..
- Obstacles to Answering Physicians' Patient-Care QuestionJohn Ely; Fiscal Year: 2003..Benefit: By identifying areas where knowledge resources fail to meet the needs of physicians, we will provide recommendations to help knowledge base developers better meet those needs. ..
- ACUTE ALPHAVIRAL ENCEPHALITISDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Infectious Diseases of the Nervous System: Pathogenesis and Worldwide ImpactDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 2007 Viruses & Cells Gordon ConferenceDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Prevention of Cytomegalovirus InfectionStuart Adler; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of this study will establish if prevention of CMV infections is possible. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Immune Responses During Measles Virus InfectionDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. To determine the roles of different CD4 and CD8 T cell populations in production of cytokines at various times during measles and the effect of concurrent HIV infection on these roles. ..
- Structure & Biology of Hematopoietic E-/L-SelectinRobert Sackstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information will contribute greatly to our understanding of the adhesive systems that regulate steady-state and pathologic hematopoiesis, as well as hematopoietic recovery following stem cell transplantation. ..
- Molecular Basis Of Renal Cell Carcinoma Response to SU11428Robert J Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2011..These tumor and cell line-based studies lay a foundation for further molecular studies aimed at understanding the sensitivity/resistance of RCC to SU11248. ..
- Innate Effectors of rAls3p-N Anti-Candida VaccineBrad J Spellberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..PNS 398/2590 (Rev. 11/07) Page - Continuation Format Page ..
- Optimizing Osteotropism of Human Mesenchymal Stem CellsRobert Sackstein; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Molecular Epidemiology of Esophageal Cancer PrognosisGeoffrey Liu; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, the proposed studies address directly a prioritized research area identified by the NCI Stomach and Esophageal Cancers Progress Review Group (Year 2002). ..
- Adrenergic Antagonism During Murine CandidiasisBrad Spellberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..For these reasons, the potential for adrenergic antagonism to act as an effective immunotherapy is highly meritorious of investigation in this training application. ..
- Gene Expression in Acute and Chronic Neurologic DiseaseDonald Gilden; Fiscal Year: 2008..This concerted effort is focused on prospective studies to delineate the cause, pathogenesis and eventual prevention of viral and demyelinating diseases of the human nervous system. ..
- Antiretroviral Therapy and the Hepatitis C VirusKenneth E Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Characterization of A Novel 65kDa E-selectin Ligand on G-CSF Mobilized LeukocytesRobert Sackstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is anticipated that the results obtained will lead to new approaches for preventing or alleviating G-CSF-induced vascular and inflammatory complications [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- AIDS-ASSOCIATED MALIGNANCIES CLINICAL TRIALS CONSORTIUMDavid Aboulafia; Fiscal Year: 2005..5. Assist the AMC and the NCI clinical trials cooperative groups and the NIAID ACTUs in the development and implementation of phase III studies if initial efforts of the AMC consortium are successful. ..
- MEASLES VACCINES--IMMUNE RESPONSES AND ATYPICAL MEASLESDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- ADHESION MOLECULES MEDIATING SKIN TROPISM IN ACUTE GVHDRobert Sackstein; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- HCV Genomic Variability in HIV Infected HemophiliacsKenneth Sherman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Treatment nonresponders will be followed in a prospective cohort study for up to 3 additional years so that the evolution of the virus, and its associated immune response in this group can be evaluated. ..
- MIDCAREER INVESTIGATOR AWARD IN NEURO-AIDS RESEARCHDavid Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2005..The Neuro-Adherence Program will assess the affect of neurological disease on patients' adherence to medical regimens, and the impact of education and support groups on adherence. ..
- Novel regulatory role of cryopyrin in inflammationHarold Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- ADJUVANT HORMONAL THERAPY IN VIETNAMESE BREAST CANCERRichard Love; Fiscal Year: 2005..The investigators have a trial with a rich database and systems to develop further useful data on breast cancer relevant to all women. ..
- 2nd International Cervical Cancer ConferenceMichele Follen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Each session chair and speaker has been chosen based on his/her publications, funding and national reputation. ..
- LIVE, ATTENUATED, RECOMBINANT VACCINE - WEST NILE VIRUSThomas Monath; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- GENETIC AND MOLECULAR BASIS OF FAMILIAL COLD URTICARIAHarold Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2002..The achievement of these goals will result in identification of the gene responsible for familial cold urticaria which will ultimately lead to an understanding of the mechanism of the inflammatory response to a physical stimulus. ..
- Norepinephrine and ImpulsivityAlan Swann; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of these experiments may suggest means for monitoring risk for impulsive behavior and for a rational treatment schema for impulsivity. ..
- CLINICAL TRAILS IN PEDIATRIC RHEUMATOLOGYDaniel Lovell; Fiscal Year: 2004..2. Determine the long-term efficacy and safety of these treatment regimens in sJRA. ..
- A pharmacogenetic and pharmacodynamic study of erlotinibCHARLES RUDIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..Defining the basis of this toxicity could also promote the development of EGFR-directed agents that may avoid such toxicity or that may be effective in a broader spectrum of cancer patients. ..
- Phase I/II Study of MS-275 and 5-Azacytidine in Patients with Advanced Non-SmallCHARLES RUDIN; Fiscal Year: 2008..If successful, this approach could alter the poor prognosis of individuals with this disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dectection of occult mediastinal lymph node mestastasesMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the R33 component of the grant application these criteria will be prospectively evaluated and correlated with clinical outcome in a second, larger cohort of patients. ..
- Mosquito Immunity to AlphavirusesBrian Foy; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) Characterize the mechanisms that Culex tritaeniorhynchus mosquitoes use to clear Sindbis virus-infected midgut cells. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Randomized Trial of EUS Neurolysis in Pancreas CancerMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary outcome will be a reduction in pain at 1 month. Secondary outcomes will include the durability of pain control, quality of life, narcotic use and narcotic side effects. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BEHAVIORAL INTERVENTION FOR CONGENITAL CMV DISEASEStuart Adler; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results of this trial will determine the effectiveness of behavioral intervention and the motivation necessary to adhere to recommendations and prevent child-to-mother transmission of CMV. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF CMVStuart Adler; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of this study will establish if immunization of mothers against CMV infection is possible. ..
- CLINICAL TRIALS AND MENTORING IN ONCOLOGY RESEARCHRobert Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2003..One recently joined staff at MSKCC in the Genito-urinary Section. Mentoring of clinical trials is extended beyond fellowship to junior faculty members. ..
- 10th International CMV WorkshopStuart Adler; Fiscal Year: 2005..The purpose is to keep everybody up to date and current about what's going on in all areas and stimulate new research projects and collaborations. We anticipate between 300 and 500 attendees. ..