Genomes and Genes
Summary: A subacute or chronic inflammatory disease of muscle and skin, marked by proximal muscle weakness and a characteristic skin rash. The illness occurs with approximately equal frequency in children and adults. The skin lesions usually take the form of a purplish rash (or less often an exfoliative dermatitis) involving the nose, cheeks, forehead, upper trunk, and arms. The disease is associated with a complement mediated intramuscular microangiopathy, leading to loss of capillaries, muscle ischemia, muscle-fiber necrosis, and perifascicular atrophy. The childhood form of this disease tends to evolve into a systemic vasculitis. Dermatomyositis may occur in association with malignant neoplasms. (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, pp1405-6)
Publications326 found, 100 shown here
- Polymyositis and dermatomyositisMarinos C Dalakas
Neuromuscular Diseases Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1382, USA
Lancet 362:971-82. 2003..immunological, and demographic features, they can be differentiated into three major and distinct subsets: dermatomyositis, polymyositis, and inclusion-body myositis...
- p62/SQSTM1 is overexpressed and prominently accumulated in inclusions of sporadic inclusion-body myositis muscle fibers, and can help differentiating it from polymyositis and dermatomyositisAnna Nogalska
Department of Neurology, USC Neuromuscular Center, Good Samaritan Hospital, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90017 1912, USA
Acta Neuropathol 118:407-13. 2009..p62 immunohistochemical positivity and pattern diagnostically distinguish s-IBM from polymyositis and dermatomyositis. (2) In normal cultured human muscle fibers, experimental inhibition of either proteasomal or lysosomal ..
- Relationship between disease activity and type 1 interferon- and other cytokine-inducible gene expression in blood in dermatomyositis and polymyositisS A Greenberg
Department of Neurology, Division of Neuromuscular Disease, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Genes Immun 13:207-13. 2012..between blood mRNA, disease activity and treatment effects in a longitudinal study of patients with dermatomyositis (DM) or polymyositis (PM). In all, 24 patients with DM or PM were followed for up to 6 years (mean of 1...
- Polymyositis and dermatomyositis associated with malignancy: a 30-year retrospective studyNobuo Wakata
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Toho University, School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Dermatol 41:729-34. 2002Polymyositis and dermatomyositis in association with malignancy are paraneoplastic syndromes, but the incidence, treatment and factors that predict associated cancer and its prognosis all remain unclear.
- Validation of manual muscle testing and a subset of eight muscles for adult and juvenile idiopathic inflammatory myopathiesLisa G Rider
Environmental Autoimmunity Group, Office of Clinical Research, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences NIH, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 1301, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:465-72. 2010To validate manual muscle testing (MMT) for strength assessment in juvenile and adult dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM).
- Incidence, cancer risk and mortality of dermatomyositis and polymyositis in Taiwan: a nationwide population studyC F Kuo
Graduate Institute of Clinical Medical Sciences, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Br J Dermatol 165:1273-9. 2011Nationwide data on the epidemiology of dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM) were limited.
- The PRINTO criteria for clinically inactive disease in juvenile dermatomyositisDragana Lazarevic
Pediatria II, Reumatologia, Istituto Giannina Gaslini, Genova, Italy
Ann Rheum Dis 72:686-93. 2013To develop data-driven criteria for clinically inactive disease on and off therapy for juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM).
- Clinical features, pathogenesis and treatment of juvenile and adult dermatomyositisAngela B Robinson
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University Hospital, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Nat Rev Rheumatol 7:664-75. 2011Juvenile and adult dermatomyositis (DM) have multiple commonalities, yet display differing prevalence of features, outcomes and comorbidities...
- Review: An update on inflammatory and autoimmune myopathiesM C Dalakas
Department of Neurosciences, Imperial College, London, UK
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 37:226-42. 2011The review provides an update on the diagnosis of the main subtypes of inflammatory myopathies including dermatomyositis (DM), polymyositis (PM), necrotizing autoimmune myositis (NAM) and sporadic inclusion body myositis (sIBM)...
- Rituximab in the treatment of refractory adult and juvenile dermatomyositis and adult polymyositis: a randomized, placebo-phase trialChester V Oddis
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Arthritis Rheum 65:314-24. 2013..To assess the safety and efficacy of rituximab in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-phase trial in adult and pediatric myositis patients...
- Idiopathic inflammatory myopathy associated with malignancy: a retrospective cohort of 151 Korean patients with dermatomyositis and polymyositisMin Wook So
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Rheumatol 38:2432-5. 2011To define the standardized incidence ratio (SIR) of malignancy and factors associated with malignancies in Korean patients with dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM).
- Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis and dermatomyositisM Hirakata
Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Curr Opin Rheumatol 12:501-8. 2000Interstitial lung disease (ILD) is common in patients with polymyositis (PM) and dermatomyositis (DM), and is a major cause of morbidity. Although its cause is unknown, it is known to be closely associated with autoimmune disorders...
- Altered cytokine expression of peripheral blood lymphocytes in polymyositis and dermatomyositisM Aleksza
Third Department of Internal Medicine, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Centre, Debrecen, Hungary
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1485-9. 2005To investigate the intracellular and soluble cytokine levels and T cell subsets in peripheral blood of patients with active and inactive polymyositis and dermatomyositis.
- Type I interferon-inducible gene expression in blood is present and reflects disease activity in dermatomyositis and polymyositisRonan J Walsh
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arthritis Rheum 56:3784-92. 2007....
- Incidence and predictive factors for malignancies in 136 Japanese patients with dermatomyositis, polymyositis and clinically amyopathic dermatomyositisKohei Azuma
Division of Rheumatology and Allergology, Department of Internal Medicine, St Marianna University School of Medicine, 2 16 1 Sugao, Miyamae ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, 216 8511, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 21:178-83. 2011..factors of concomitant malignancies in patients with inflammatory myopathies, including clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis (CADM)...
- Disease activity, proteinuria, and vitamin D status in children with systemic lupus erythematosus and juvenile dermatomyositisAngela Byun Robinson
Division of Pediatric Rheumatology, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Pediatr 160:297-302. 2012To evaluate relationships among vitamin D, proteinuria, and disease activity in pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM).
- Survival analysis of patients with dermatomyositis and polymyositis: analysis of 192 Chinese casesKuang Hui Yu
Division of Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5, Fu Shin St, Kuei Shan 333, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Clin Rheumatol 30:1595-601. 2011To estimate the mortality rate and identify factors predicting survival in patients with polymyositis (PM) and dermatomyositis (DM)...
- Would a new name hasten the acceptance of amyopathic dermatomyositis (dermatomyositis siné myositis) as a distinctive subset within the idiopathic inflammatory dermatomyopathies spectrum of clinical illness?Richard D Sontheimer
Department of Dermatology, University of Iowa College of Medicine Health Care, 200 Hawkins Drive, BT 2045 1, Iowa City, IA 52242 1090, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:626-36. 2002
- Positive association between STAT4 polymorphisms and polymyositis/dermatomyositis in a Japanese populationTomoko Sugiura
Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 10 22 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 0054, Japan
Ann Rheum Dis 71:1646-50. 2012..transducer and activator of transcription 4 (STAT4), one of the most commonly acknowledged genes for the risk of multiple autoimmune diseases, with susceptibility to adult-onset polymyositis/dermatomyositis among Japanese individuals.
- Treatment of early and refractory dermatomyositis with infliximab: a report of two casesSylvia Dold
Section of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Louisiana State University School of Medicine, LSU Medical Center, 1542 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Clin Rheumatol 26:1186-8. 2007..The three major groups of this disorder are polymyositis (PM), dermatomyositis (DM), and inclusion body myositis...
- Incidence of malignant disease in biopsy-proven inflammatory myopathy. A population-based cohort studyR Buchbinder
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Suite 41, Cabrini Medical Centre, 183 Wattletree Road, Malvern, Victoria, Australia 3144
Ann Intern Med 134:1087-95. 2001..Such issues as the legitimacy of a myositis diagnosis and distinction among myositis subgroups in previous population-based studies remain unresolved...
- Interleukin-18 overexpression as a hallmark of the activity of autoimmune inflammatory myopathiesM Tucci
DIMO, Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Oncology, University of Bari, Italy
Clin Exp Immunol 146:21-31. 2006..study was to explore the role of interleukin (IL)-18 in patients with inflammatory myopathies (IM) such as dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM) in relation to the possible predominance of a Th1 immune response in their ..
- Estimating the prevalence of polymyositis and dermatomyositis from administrative data: age, sex and regional differencesS Bernatsky
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Rheum Dis 68:1192-6. 2009To estimate the prevalence of polymyositis and dermatomyositis using population-based administrative data, the sensitivity of case ascertainment approaches and patient demographics and these parameters.
- Characterization of regulatory T cells in patients with dermatomyositisE Antiga
Department of Dermatological Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Autoimmun 35:342-50. 2010..study was to characterize regulatory T cells (T(reg)) in skin lesions and peripheral blood from patients with dermatomyositis (DM) and to determine the serum levels of regulatory cytokines in the disease...
- Role of endothelial damage in the pathogenesis of interstitial pneumonitis in patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositisMasanori Funauchi
Department of Neurology and Rheumatology, Kinki University School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Rheumatol 33:903-6. 2006Polymyositis and dermatomyositis (PM/DM) are often complicated by interstitial pneumonitis (IP), which is an important cause of death...
- Flow cytometric analysis of lymphocyte subpopulations and TH1/TH2 balance in patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositisWataru Ishii
Department of Internal Medicine Neurology and Rheumatology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, and Department of Transfusion, Shinshu University Hospital, Matsumoto
Intern Med 47:1593-9. 2008Polymyositis (PM) and dermatomyositis (DM) are idiopathic inflammatory myopathies; autoimmune mechanisms are thought to play an important role in their pathogenesis...
- Abnormal DNA methylation in CD4+ T cells from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic sclerosis, and dermatomyositisW Lei
Department of Dermatology, Epigenetic Research Centre, Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, China
Scand J Rheumatol 38:369-74. 2009..However, it is unknown whether impaired T-cell DNA methylation occurs in other connective tissue diseases, such as systemic sclerosis (SSc) and dermatomyositis (DM).
- Myositis-specific anti-155/140 autoantibodies target transcription intermediary factor 1 family proteinsManabu Fujimoto
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 64:513-22. 2012..the 140-kd autoantigen recognized by anti-155/140 autoantibodies that are associated with adult cancer-associated dermatomyositis (DM) and juvenile DM and to determine the clinical relevance of anti-155/140 antibodies in a large cohort.
- Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis and dermatomyositis: longitudinal evaluation by pulmonary function and radiologyMaryam Fathi
Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 59:677-85. 2008To estimate predictors and long-term outcome of interstitial lung disease (ILD) in patients with polymyositis (PM) and dermatomyositis (DM).
- Dermatomyositis and polymyositis: Clinical presentation, autoantibodies, and pathogenesisANDREW L MAMMEN
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1184:134-53. 2010b>Dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM) are autoimmune myopathies characterized clinically by proximal muscle weakness, muscle inflammation, extramuscular manifestations, and frequently, the presence of autoantibodies...
- Role of cytokines and chemokines in idiopathic inflammatory myopathiesBoel De Paepe
Department of Neurology and Neuromuscular Reference Center, Laboratory for Myopathology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Curr Opin Rheumatol 21:610-6. 2009..This review focuses on the most recent data and the new insight they provide for the disease mechanisms of dermatomyositis, polymyositis and sporadic inclusion body myositis.
- Polymyositis-dermatomyositis-associated interstitial lung diseaseW W Douglas
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, and Section of Biostatistics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:1182-5. 2001We report findings in 70 patients with both diffuse interstitial lung disease and either polymyositis (PM) or dermatomyositis (DM)...
- Juvenile dermatomyositis and other idiopathic inflammatory myopathies of childhoodBrian M Feldman
Departments of Pediatrics, Health Policy Management and Evaluation, and Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Division of Rheumatology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lancet 371:2201-12. 2008Juvenile dermatomyositis, the most common inflammatory myopathy of childhood, is a rare systemic autoimmune vasculopathy that is characterised by weakness in proximal muscles and pathognomonic skin rashes...
- Immunolocalization of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and its receptors in inflammatory myopathiesJ L De Bleecker
Neurology Department, University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
Neuromuscul Disord 9:239-46. 1999..We immunolocalized TNF-alpha and its receptors in polymyositis, inclusion body myositis and dermatomyositis. In each myopathy, TNF-alpha was detected in macrophages, in myonuclei in regenerating muscle fibers, and ..
- T cell infiltrates in the muscles of patients with dermatomyositis and polymyositis are dominated by CD28null T cellsAndreas E R Fasth
Rheumatology Unit, Center for Molecular Medicine L8 04, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm S 171 76, Sweden
J Immunol 183:4792-9. 2009b>Dermatomyositis and polymyositis are disabling rheumatic diseases characterized by an appreciable number of T cells infiltrating muscle tissue. The precise phenotype, function and specificity of these cells remain elusive...
- A novel autoantibody to a 155-kd protein is associated with dermatomyositisIra N Targoff
Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Arthritis Rheum 54:3682-9. 2006In polymyositis and dermatomyositis (DM), identified autoantibodies occur in <50% of adult patients and in a smaller proportion of children...
- Immunotherapy of myositis: issues, concerns and future prospectsMarinos C Dalakas
Imperial College London, Burlington Danes Building, Hammersmith Hospital Campus, Office E517, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, UK
Nat Rev Rheumatol 6:129-37. 2010The main inflammatory myopathies within the myositis group include polymyositis, dermatomyositis and inclusion-body myositis (IBM)...
- Unusually high frequency of autoantibodies to PL-7 associated with milder muscle disease in Japanese patients with polymyositis/dermatomyositisYoshioki Yamasaki
University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
Arthritis Rheum 54:2004-9. 2006..PL-12), glycyl (EJ), and isoleucyl (OJ), are closely associated with a subset of patients with polymyositis/dermatomyositis (PM/DM) complicated by interstitial lung disease (ILD)...
- Type I interferon and Toll-like receptor expression characterizes inflammatory myopathiesC Cappelletti
Department of Neurology IV, Neurological Institute Foundation Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Neurology 76:2079-88. 2011Juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM), adult dermatomyositis, and polymyositis (PM) are idiopathic inflammatory myopathies (IIMs) characterized by muscle infiltration and specific muscle fiber alterations...
- Interleukin-6 and type I interferon-regulated genes and chemokines mark disease activity in dermatomyositisHatice Bilgic
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Arthritis Rheum 60:3436-46. 2009..An IFN gene expression "signature" is a candidate biomarker in patients with dermatomyositis (DM)...
- Dermatomyositis and type 1 interferonsSteven A Greenberg
Department of Neurology, Division of Neuromuscular Disease, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 12:198-203. 2010b>Dermatomyositis is a poorly understood multisystem disease predominantly affecting skin and muscle. This review focuses on the potential role of a group of related cytokines, the type 1 interferons, in the pathogenesis of dermatomyositis...
- Preliminary core sets of measures for disease activity and damage assessment in juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus and juvenile dermatomyositisNicolino Ruperto
IRCCS G Gasalini, Pediatria II, Genova, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 42:1452-9. 2003To identify preliminary core sets of outcome variables for disease activity and damage assessment in juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus (JSLE) and juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM).
- The dermatomyositis-specific autoantigen Mi2 is a component of a complex containing histone deacetylase and nucleosome remodeling activitiesY Zhang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway 08854, USA
Cell 95:279-89. 1998..The complex contains the histone deacetylases HDAC1/2, histone-binding proteins, the dermatomyositis-specific autoantigen Mi2beta, a polypeptide related to the metastasis-associated protein 1, and a novel ..
- Risk of cancer in patients with dermatomyositis or polymyositis, and follow-up implications: a Scottish population-based cohort studyD Stockton
Scottish Cancer Intelligence Unit, Information and Statistics Division, Trinity Park House, Edinburgh, EH5 3SQ
Br J Cancer 85:41-5. 2001..national, retrospective population-based cohort study of 705 patients hospitalized with a first diagnosis of dermatomyositis (DM) or polymyositis (PM) during 1982-1996 based on linkage of hospital discharge, cancer registration, and ..
- Clinical correlations with dermatomyositis-specific autoantibodies in adult Japanese patients with dermatomyositis: a multicenter cross-sectional studyYasuhito Hamaguchi
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
Arch Dermatol 147:391-8. 2011To clarify the association of clinical and prognostic features with dermatomyositis (DM)-specific autoantibodies (Abs) in adult Japanese patients with DM.
- Identification of a novel autoantibody reactive with 155 and 140 kDa nuclear proteins in patients with dermatomyositis: an association with malignancyK Kaji
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, 13 1 Takaramachi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 8641, Japan
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:25-8. 2007..autoantibodies (MSAs) are a useful tool in diagnosis, defining clinical subsets and predicting prognosis of dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM)...
- A systematic review of adult-onset clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis (dermatomyositis siné myositis): a missing link within the spectrum of the idiopathic inflammatory myopathiesPedram Gerami
Dermatopathology Division, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:597-613. 2006Classical dermatomyositis (CDM) patients display the hallmark cutaneous manifestations of dermatomyositis (DM), proximal muscle weakness, and laboratory evidence of myositis...
- Differences in clinical features and prognosis of interstitial lung diseases between polymyositis and dermatomyositisTomoyuki Fujisawa
Second Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan
J Rheumatol 32:58-64. 2005To assess the difference in clinical features and prognosis of patients with interstitial lung disease (ILD) comparing polymyositis (PM) and dermatomyositis (DM).
- Gene expression profiling in DQA1*0501+ children with untreated dermatomyositis: a novel model of pathogenesisZivana Tezak
Research Center for Genetic Medicine, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Immunol 168:4154-63. 2002Juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM), the most common pediatric inflammatory myopathy, is a systemic vasculopathy affecting young children...
- The role of angiopoietin-like protein 2 in pathogenesis of dermatomyositisAki Ogata
Department of Molecular Genetics, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 8556, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 418:494-9. 2012b>Dermatomyositis (DM) is an autoimmune disease marked by chronic inflammation of skin and muscle tissues and characterized clinically by proximal muscle weakness and skin eruption, including heliotrope rash, and Gottron's sign...
- Clinical manifestations of dermatomyositis and clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis patients with positive expression of anti-melanoma differentiation-associated gene 5 antibodyHua Cao
Ruijin Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 64:1602-10. 2012To investigate the clinical features of dermatomyositis (DM) and clinically amyopathic DM (CADM) patients with the presence of anti-melanoma differentiation-associated gene 5 (anti-MDA-5) antibodies.
- Association of TNF-α polymorphisms with adult dermatomyositis and systemic lupus erythematosus in Bulgarian patientsLyubomir Dourmishev
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Medical University Sofia, Sofia, Bulgaria
Int J Dermatol 51:1467-73. 2012..This is a pilot study to investigate the association of six SNPs of the TNF-α gene with the risk of adult dermatomyositis (DM) and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in Bulgarian patients.
- Type 1 interferons and myositisSteven A Greenberg
Department of Neurology, Division of Neuromuscular Disease, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 12:S4. 2010..For dermatomyositis, evidence that these molecules injure myofibers seems especially strong...
- Early assessment of rapidly progressive interstitial pneumonia associated with amyopathic dermatomyositisEishi Miyazaki
Division of Pulmonary Disease, Third Department of Internal Medicine, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, 1 1 Idaigaoka, Hasama machi, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Clin Rheumatol 26:436-9. 2007Amyopathic dermatomyositis (ADM) is occasionally complicated by rapidly progressive interstitial pneumonia (RPIP), and in such cases, diffuse alveolar damage (DAD) is usually diagnosed at autopsy...
- Polymyositis/dermatomyositis-associated lung disease: analysis of a series of 81 patientsA Selva-O'Callaghan
Department of Internal Medicine, Vall d Hebron General Hospital, Barcelona, Spain
Lupus 14:534-42. 2005..clinical, histological and immunological characteristics, and the long-term outcome of polymyositis- (PM) and dermatomyositis- (DM) associated lung disease, and to define subgroups of lung-associated inflammatory myopathies...
- Anti-melanoma differentiation-associated protein 5-associated dermatomyositis: expanding the clinical spectrumJohn C Hall
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 65:1307-15. 2013..against melanoma differentiation-associated protein 5 (MDA-5) have been described in several Asian dermatomyositis (DM) cohorts, often associated with amyopathic DM and rapidly progressive interstitial lung disease (ILD)...
- Mitochondrial abnormalities in dermatomyositis: characteristic pattern of neuropathologyMohammed I Alhatou
Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Mol Histol 35:615-9. 2004..evaluate mitochondrial abnormalities in perifascicular atrophic fibers in muscle biopsies from patients with dermatomyositis (DM)...
- Disappearance of anti-MDA-5 autoantibodies in clinically amyopathic DM/interstitial lung disease during disease remissionYoshinao Muro
Division of Connective Tissue Disease and Autoimmunity, Department of Dermatology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Rheumatology (Oxford) 51:800-4. 2012..This study aimed to establish a quantitative assay for anti-MDA-5 antibodies towards assessing the long-term outcome of ADM patients who had anti-MDA-5 antibodies...
- Immune mechanisms in polymyositis and dermatomyositis and potential targets for therapyPaulius Venalis
CMM Foundation, Karolinska University Hospital L8 04, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Rheumatology (Oxford) 53:397-405. 2014..Such information will be important for the development of new therapies. ..
- Adult clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis with rapid progressive interstitial lung disease: a retrospective cohort studyShuang Ye
Department of Rheumatology, Renji Hospital, Medical School of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 145 Shandong C Rd, Shanghai 20001, China
Clin Rheumatol 26:1647-54. 2007The aim of the study was to investigate the characteristics of adult clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis (CADM) with rapid progressive interstitial lung disease (ILD)...
- Cancer risks of dermatomyositis and polymyositis: a nationwide cohort study in TaiwanYi Ju Chen
Department of Dermatology, National Yang Ming University, NO, 155, Sec, 2, Linong Street, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R70. 2010..Our aim was to investigate the risk of cancer among IIM patients without a prior history of malignancies, in Taiwan...
- Increased ferritin predicts development and severity of acute interstitial lung disease as a complication of dermatomyositisTakahisa Gono
Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:1354-60. 2010..Since a useful indicator predicting the complication of A/SIP has not been found, the aim of this study was to determine whether serum ferritin is a potential predictive indicator of the occurrence of A/SIP in 64 patients with DM...
- Long-term outcome and prognostic factors of juvenile dermatomyositis: a multinational, multicenter study of 490 patientsAngelo Ravelli
Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico G Gaslini and Università degli Studi di Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:63-72. 2010To investigate the long-term outcome and prognostic factors of juvenile dermatomyositis (DM) through a multinational, multicenter study.
- Successful treatment with tacrolimus of progressive interstitial pneumonia associated with amyopathic dermatomyositis refractory to cyclosporineMasaru Ando
Department of Internal Medicine 3, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, Yufu, Oita, Japan
Clin Rheumatol 29:443-5. 2010..He was thus diagnosed to have amyopathic dermatomyositis. He had moderate hypoxemia and his chest computed tomography scans demonstrated bilateral ground-glass ..
- Clinical manifestation and prognostic factor in anti-melanoma differentiation-associated gene 5 antibody-associated interstitial lung disease as a complication of dermatomyositisTakahisa Gono
Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 10 22 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 0054, Japan
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:1713-9. 2010..The aim of this study is to evaluate the clinical manifestation and prognostic factors of anti-melanoma differentiation-associated gene 5 (MDA5) antibody-associated interstitial lung disease (ILD) with DM...
- Serum concentration of interleukin 15, interleukin 2 receptor and TNF receptor in patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositis: correlation to disease activityPawel Mielnik
Department of Connective Tissue Diseases, Institute of Rheumatology, Spartanska 1, Warsaw, Poland
Rheumatol Int 32:639-43. 2012Cytokines are implied in polymyositis/dermatomyositis (PM/DM) pathogenesis...
- Identification and molecular analysis of glycosaminoglycans in cutaneous lupus erythematosus and dermatomyositisLaura M Chang
Philadelphia VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 59:336-45. 2011..HA) and chondroitin sulfate (CS), using specific stains in cutaneous lupus erythematosus (CLE) and dermatomyositis (DM)...
- Distribution and severity of weakness among patients with polymyositis, dermatomyositis and juvenile dermatomyositisM O Harris-Love
George Washington University, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Washington, DC, USA
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:134-9. 2009..The secondary objectives included characterizing individual muscle group weakness and determining associations of weakness with functional status and myositis characteristics in this large cohort of patients with myositis...
- Analysis of dermatomyositis-specific autoantibodies and clinical characteristics in Japanese patientsNobuaki Ikeda
Department of Environmental Immuno Dermatology, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
J Dermatol 38:973-9. 2011b>Dermatomyositis (DM) is an idiopathic systemic inflammatory disease that is often accompanied by interstitial lung disease (ILD) or internal malignancy...
- Anti-TIF1γ antibodies (anti-p155) in adult patients with dermatomyositis: comparison of different diagnostic assaysMoises Labrador-Horrillo
Department of Internal Medicine, Vall d Hebron General Hospital Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 71:993-6. 2012..A new myositis-specific autoantibody (anti-p155) directed against transcriptional intermediary factor 1 γ (TIF1γ) has been described as a good marker of cancer-associated myositis (CAM)...
- Efficacy of intravenous Ig therapy in juvenile dermatomyositisCatherine G Lam
Department of Paediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Rheum Dis 70:2089-94. 2011Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) is an adjunctive therapy for juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM) patients with poor response to first-line therapy (corticosteroid resistant; SR) or who are corticosteroid dependent (SD)...
- Consensus treatments for moderate juvenile dermatomyositis: beyond the first two months. Results of the second Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance consensus conferenceAdam M Huber
IWK Health Centre and Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 64:546-53. 2012..contained within the Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance (CARRA) organization to extend the 3 previously developed treatment plans for moderate juvenile dermatomyositis (DM) to span the full course of treatment.
- Monocyte/macrophage differentiation in dermatomyositis and polymyositisKevin M Rostasy
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Neurology, University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Muscle Nerve 30:225-30. 2004..useful tool to delineate the major groups of inflammatory myopathies, the muscle biopsies of 11 patients with dermatomyositis and 12 patients with polymyositis were studied using different macrophage markers...
- Increased plasma thrombospondin-1 (TSP-1) levels are associated with the TNF alpha-308A allele in children with juvenile dermatomyositisJennica Lutz
Division of Immunology Rheumatology, Children s Memorial Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Medical School, Children s Memorial Institute for Education and Research, Chicago, Illinois 60614, USA
Clin Immunol 103:260-3. 2002Vascular occlusion is more frequent in children with juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM) who have the TNF alpha-308A allele. One of the potent anti-angiogenic factors is thrombospondin-1 (TSP-1)...
- Potentially fatal interstitial lung disease can occur in clinically amyopathic dermatomyositisRichard D Sontheimer
J Am Acad Dermatol 48:797-8. 2003
- Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis and dermatomyositis: clinical course and response to treatmentArmin Schnabel
Department of Poliklinik für Rheumatologie, Universität Lübeck and Rheumaklinik, Bad Bramstedt, Germany
Semin Arthritis Rheum 32:273-84. 2003..characteristics, and treatment options of patients with interstitial lung disease (ILD) in polymyositis and dermatomyositis (PM/DM). Patients and Methods: Sixty-three consecutive patients with PM/DM underwent standardized screening...
- Skeletal muscle fibers express major histocompatibility complex class II antigens independently of inflammatory infiltrates in inflammatory myopathiesP Englund
Department of Medicine, Rheumatology Unit, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Pathol 159:1263-73. 2001..study of MHC class II antigen expression on muscle fiber membranes in muscle tissue from polymyositis and dermatomyositis patients in various stages of disease activity...
- Dermatomyositis and erythrocytosis associated with hepatocellular carcinomaTsun I Cheng
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:1239-40. 2002
- Reduced oxidative phosphorylation and proton efflux suggest reduced capillary blood supply in skeletal muscle of patients with dermatomyositis and polymyositis: a quantitative 31P-magnetic resonance spectroscopy and MRI studyGabriel Cea
MRC Biochemical and Clinical Magnetic Resonance Unit, Department of Biochemistry, Radcliffe Infirmary, University of Oxford, UK
Brain 125:1635-45. 2002..spectroscopy ((31)P-MRS) were used to investigate skeletal muscle metabolism in vivo in patients with dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM) in order to evaluate the role of mitochondrial abnormalities in the pathogenesis ..
- Cutaneous leukocytoclastic vasculitis in dermatomyositis suggests malignancyR E Hunger
Dermatological Clinic, Inselspital, University of Berne, Switzerland
Dermatology 202:123-6. 2001b>Dermatomyositis (DM) is a rare connective tissue disease which has been shown to be associated with an underlying malignancy.
- Antibodies to glycyl-transfer RNA synthetase in patients with myositis and interstitial lung diseaseI N Targoff
Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City
Arthritis Rheum 35:821-30. 1992..METHODS. Sera from patients with suspected or proven polymyositis or dermatomyositis (DM), sera with anticytoplasmic patterns, and control sera were tested for anti-EJ antibodies by ..
- Clinical evaluation of anti-aminoacyl tRNA synthetase antibodies in Japanese patients with dermatomyositisTakashi Matsushita
Department of Dermatology and Division of Respiratory Medicine, Cellular Transplantation Biology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
J Rheumatol 34:1012-8. 2007To investigate the distribution of anti-aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase (anti-ARS) antibodies among patients with autoimmune diseases, and to analyze the clinical features of patients with dermatomyositis (DM) with anti-ARS antibodies.
- Predictability of the clinical course of juvenile dermatomyositis based on initial muscle biopsy: a retrospective study of 72 patientsL Miles
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center and Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Arthritis Rheum 57:1183-91. 2007Except when the diagnosis of juvenile dermatomyositis (DM) is in doubt, a case has not been made for routine muscle biopsy (MB). We sought to determine whether MB findings prior to systemic therapy have prognostic value.
- Dermatomyositis associated with celiac disease: response to a gluten-free dietMin Soo Song
Department of Internal Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Gastroenterol 20:433-5. 2006The association between dermatomyositis and celiac disease in children has been well documented. In the adult population, however, the association has not been clearly established...
- Polymyositis/dermatomyositis and nasopharyngeal carcinoma: the Epstein-Barr virus connection?Der Yuan Chen
Division of Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
J Clin Virol 49:290-5. 2010Polymyositis (PM) and dermatomyositis (DM) are associated with high risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) in Asian countries. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) might induce autoimmunity and malignancies in susceptible individuals.
- Successful autologous stem cell transplantation in two patients with juvenile dermatomyositisU Holzer
Department of General Paediatrics, Haematology, and Oncology, University Children s Hospital Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Scand J Rheumatol 39:88-92. 2010Juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM) is a chronic inflammatory disorder of unknown aetiology that affects muscle and skin...
- Dermatomyositis: an overview of recent progress with emphasis on dermatologic aspectsRichard D Sontheimer
Department of Dermatology, University of Iowa College of Medicine University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics UI Health Care, 200 Hawkins Drive, BT2045 1, Iowa City, IA 52242 1090, USA
Dermatol Clin 20:387-408. 2002..Cautious systematic clinical trials in this area should be considered...
- A national registry for juvenile dermatomyositis and other paediatric idiopathic inflammatory myopathies: 10 years' experience; the Juvenile Dermatomyositis National (UK and Ireland) Cohort Biomarker Study and Repository for Idiopathic Inflammatory MyopatNeil Martin
Rheumatology Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, Great Ormond Street Hospital, 30 Guilford Street, University College London, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 50:137-45. 2011..We have established a national registry and repository for childhood IIM, which aims to improve knowledge, facilitate research and clinical trials, and ultimately to improve outcomes for these patients...
- Prevalence of 52-kd and 60-kd Ro/SS-A autoantibodies in Japanese patients with polymyositis/dermatomyositisMasahide Kubo
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
J Am Acad Dermatol 47:148-51. 2002To determine the prevalence of 52-kd and 60-kd Ro/SS-A antibodies in Japanese patients with polymyositis/dermatomyositis, we examined serum samples from 61 patients with PM/DM, 10 patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome, and 25 healthy ..
- Dermatomyositis and breast cancer: a multicenter Tunisian retrospective study of 13 casesAmel Mebazaa
Dermatology Department, La Rabta Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia
Tunis Med 89:18-22. 2011To evaluate the epidemiological, clinical, biological features and prognostic factors in patients presenting an association of dermatomyositis (DM) and breast cancer (BC).
- Dermatomyositis and malignancy: a retrospective study of 115 casesWei Zhang
Department of Respiratory Medicine, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 13:77-80. 2009Aim of this study was to identify the association between dermatomyositis and malignancy in China.
- Familial aggregation of autoimmune disease in juvenile dermatomyositisTimothy B Niewold
University of Chicago, Section of Rheumatology, Gwen Knapp Center for Lupus and Immunology Research, 924 E 57th St, R420, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Pediatrics 127:e1239-46. 2011..Familial aggregation of autoimmunity has not been examined in juvenile dermatomyositis. Interferon-α is thought to be a pathogenic factor in both systemic lupus erythematosus and juvenile ..
- Primary lung cancer associated with polymyositis/dermatomyositis, with a review of the literatureJ Fujita
First Department of Internal Medicine, Kagawa Medical University, Japan
Rheumatol Int 20:81-4. 2001It has been suggested that lung cancer is frequently associated with polymyositis/dermatomyositis (PM/DM). The purpose of this study was to describe the clinical features of primary lung cancer associated with PM/DM...
- Malignancy in patients with inflammatory myopathyRachelle Buchbinder
Cabrini Medical Centre, Suite 41, 183 Wattletree Road, Malvern, Victoria 3144, Australia
Curr Rheumatol Rep 4:415-26. 2002The most recent evidence from population-based cohort studies confirms the association between malignancy and dermatomyositis and polymyositis...
- Severe perturbations of the blood T cell repertoire in polymyositis, but not dermatomyositis patientsO Benveniste
, , and Laboratoire de Neuropathologie, , Paris, France
J Immunol 167:3521-9. 2001Polymyositis and dermatomyositis are diseases characterized by muscle weakness and muscle inflammatory infiltrates. Their pathogenesis remains unclear...
- Evidence for a role of type I interferons in the pathogenesis of dermatomyositisJ Wenzel
Br J Dermatol 153:462-3; author reply 463-4. 2005
- Peripheral blood lymphocyte subset counts in patients with dermatomyositis: clinical correlations and changes following therapyManuelle Viguier
Institut de Recherche sur la Peau et Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Saint Louis, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 82:82-6. 2003Lymphocytopenia has been reported in patients with connective tissue diseases, including dermatomyositis (DM)...
- Intractable skin necrosis and interstitial pneumonia in amyopathic dermatomyositis, successfully treated with cyclosporin AYasuhiro Shimojima
Third Department of Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto
Intern Med 42:1253-8. 2003We report a patient with amyopathic dermatomyositis (DM) who mainly showed interstitial pneumonia and intractable skin necrosis in bilateral elbows and soles with a poor response to immunomediated therapy, including corticosteroid and ..
- The mucocutaneous and systemic phenotype of dermatomyositis patients with antibodies to MDA5 (CADM-140): a retrospective studyDavid Fiorentino
Department of Dermatology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 65:25-34. 2011b>Dermatomyositis (DM) is a multisystem autoimmune disease, in which serologic evidence of immune responses to disease-specific antigenic targets is found in approximately 50% to 70% of patients...
- Modification of the cutaneous dermatomyositis disease area and severity index, an outcome instrumentM Yassaee
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 2676, USA
Br J Dermatol 162:669-73. 2010..A scoring system of skin disease severity in dermatomyositis known as the Cutaneous Dermatomyositis Disease Area and Severity Index (CDASI) has been developed.
- Interferon-stimulated gene 15 (ISG15) conjugates proteins in dermatomyositis muscle with perifascicular atrophyMohammad Salajegheh
Children s Hospital Informatics Program, Division of Neuromuscular Disease, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann Neurol 67:53-63. 2010We investigated interferon-stimulated gene 15 (ISG15), a poorly understood ubiquitin-like modifier, and its enzymatic pathway in dermatomyositis (DM), an autoimmune disease primarily involving muscle and skin.
- Disease chronicity in juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM): Epigenetic cluesLauren M Pachman; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM) is the most common pediatric inflammatory myopathy and occurs in young children (mean age at onset of symptoms, 6.7 years;girl: boy ratio=2...
- Comparative Effectiveness Research in Pediatric Rheumatic Diseases: Leveraging CACAROL A contact WALLACE; Fiscal Year: 2010..in four disease areas: Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis [JIA], Systemic Lupus Erythematosus [SLE], Juvenile Dermatomyositis [JDM] and Localized Scleroderma...
- A Systems Biology Approach for Pediatric and Adult Autoimmune DiseasesMARIA VIRGINIA PASCUAL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Center will deliver: 1) Innovative clinical trials targeting specific cytokines in psoriasis &dermatomyositis. 2) Development of biomarkers for dermatomyositis, psoriasis, lupus and multiple sclerosis...
- Unique immune regulation by alternatively spliced interleukin-4Sergei P Atamas; Fiscal Year: 2013..and autoimmunity-associated interstitial lung disease (scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, poly- and dermatomyositis). We recently described a splice variant of IL-4, so-called IL-442...
- Characterization of CHD family chromodomains Implicated in Epigenetic SignalingKimberly R Wiggins; Fiscal Year: 2010..They also have been implicated in diseases such as dermatomyositis, hodgkin's lymphoma, and neuroblastoma (linked with CHD3, CHD4, and CHD5), as well as CHARGE syndrome ..
- Mechanisms of Tolerance to Renal Maternal MicrochimerismANNE MARGUERITE STEVENS; Fiscal Year: 2011..microchimerism (MMc) have been found within blood and tissues of patients with systemic sclerosis, SLE, and dermatomyositis. However, microchimerism is also common in healthy individuals...
- Mineralization/Anti-Mineralization Networks in the SkinJouni Uitto; Fiscal Year: 2013..number of acquired inflammatory disorders, including progressive systemic sclerosis, lupus erythematosus and dermatomyositis. The prototype of heritable ectopic mineralization disorders affecting primarily the skin is familial tumoral ..
- The Role of IL-17 Axis in Inflammatory MyositisAnn M Reed; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Dermatomyositis (DM) exemplifies a group of uncommon but life- and organ-threatening autoimmune syndromes collectively known as idiopathic inflammatory myositis (IIM)...
- Interferons and cytotoxic lymphocytes in dermatomyositis and cutaneous lupusDAVID FRANKLIN FIORENTINO; Fiscal Year: 2013..lymphocyte (CTL)-induced death are major pathogenic factors underlying injury in cutaneous lupus (CLE) and dermatomyositis (DM), but the extent of, and manner in which these pathways interact remains unclear...
- Inhibitors of Toll-like receptors 7 & 9 for treatment of skin inflammationFRANCK BARRAT; Fiscal Year: 2010..cells in cutaneous lupus and in a series of related cutaneous autoimmune diseases, including lichen planus dermatomyositis, lichen sclerosus and cutaneous GVHD...
- Post-9/11 Incidence of Systemic Autoimmune Diseases in the FDNY CohortMayris P Webber; Fiscal Year: 2013..antiphospholipid syndrome (APS), systemic sclerosis (SSc;both diffuse and limited), inflammatory myositis (dermatomyositis, polymyositis, or inclusion-body myositis), Sjogren's syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and non-RA ..
- Rituximab Therapy in Refractory Adult and Juvenile IIMCHARLES ODDIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will determine whether rituximab is an effective treatment for adult and pediatric patients with dermatomyositis or polymyositis...
- Rituximab Therapy in Refractory Adult and Juvenile IIMCHARLES ODDIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study will determine whether rituximab is an effective treatment for adult and pediatric patients with dermatomyositis or polymyositis...
- Multiparametric Classification of Muscle Damage in Inflammatory MyopathyJane Park; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The idiopathic inflammatory myopathies (IIM), including dermatomyositis (DM), polymyositis (PM), and inclusion body myositis (IBM), are autoimmune diseases resulting in muscle inflammation, weakness, ..
- CARRA: Accelerating Toward an Evidence Based Culture in Pediatric RheumatologyCarol A Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2010..capture across CARRA sites for the major pediatric rheumatic diseases, (juvenile arthritis, systemic lupus, dermatomyositis, scleroderma, vasculitis, and pain syndromes) and support standardization of treatment protocols, clinical ..
- Rheumatic Disease Sera: Probes of Disease MechanismsLivia A Casciola-Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2012..This application will identify these novel autoantigens, define their expression patterns in polymyositis and dermatomyositis and whether antigen expression and immune response are related in individual patients (indicating that ..
- Enhancing the CARRA: Integration and Dissemination of Clinical DataLaura E Schanberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..rheumatic disease, focusing on juvenile idiopathic arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, juvenile dermatomyositis and localized scleroderma...
- INTEGRIN-DEPENDENT T CELL-MEDIATED MECHANISMS OF PULMONARY FIBROSISIrina G Luzina; Fiscal Year: 2010..and death in patients with autoimmune rheumatic diseases such as scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, dermatomyositis and polymyositis...
- The role of the dermatomyositis autoantigen MI-2 in muscle regenerationANDREW L MAMMEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..These diseases, which include dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM), are characterized by muscle weakness, muscle inflammation, and autoantibodies...
- Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies: Improving Diagnosis and Predicting OutcomesLisa Christopher Stine; Fiscal Year: 2010..Allan Gelber, Antony Rosen, and Paul Plotz. IIM, including dermatomyositis, polymyositis, and inclusion body myositis, constitute the largest subset of acquired myopathies and often ..
- Naturally Occurring Dog Model for Juvenile DermatomyositisLeigh Anne Clark; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Naturally occurring dog model for juvenile dermatomyositis. The genetic factors contributing to the development of juvenile dermatomyositis (DM) are poorly defined...
- Mechanisms of Response and Relapse in Rituximab-treated Myositis PatientsChester V Oddis; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Autoimmune (AI) inflammatory muscle diseases (myositis) include polymyositis (PM), adult dermatomyositis (DM) and juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM)...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF AUTOANTIBODIESENG TAN; Fiscal Year: 1999..and includes systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, Sjogren's syndrome, mixed connective tissue disease, dermatomyositis and polymyositis, rheumatoid arthritis and drug-induced lupus...
- DEFINITION OF AUTOIMMUNE RESPONSES IN POLYMYOSITISMorris Reichlin; Fiscal Year: 1992..Antibodies to Mi2, a nuclear antigen of unknown function occur primarily in patients with dermatomyositis while antibodies to Pm- Scl, a nucleolar antigen, occur in patients most frequently with polymyositis-..
- AUTOANTIBODIES IN DERMATOMYOSITISIra Targoff; Fiscal Year: 1993b>Dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM) are related autoimmune inflammatory myopathies, but there are significant clinical, pathological and immunological differences...
- Finalization of Outcomes and Design Issues for MyositisAnn Reed; Fiscal Year: 2001..trial of the safety and efficacy of intravenous infliximab and intravenous gamma globulin in refractory dermatomyositis (DM) patients receiving corticosteroids and methotrexate...
- Dermatomyositis Skin Disease Severity Measure ValidationJOSPEH JORIZZO; Fiscal Year: 2003b>Dermatomyositis is an inflammatory myopathy of unknown cause accompanied by a characteristic cutaneous eruption...
- MULTIPURPOSE ARTHRITIS AND MUSCULOSKELETAL DISEASES CENTRichard Pope; Fiscal Year: 2001..given to the epidemiology of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus and juvenile dermatomyositis. Economics, outcomes and decision analysis are strongly represented...
- IMMUNE RESPONSE TO THYMIC ANTIGENS IN POLYMYOSITISMorris Reichlin; Fiscal Year: 1980..potential of the recently made observation that are antibody responses to thymic antigens specific for the dermatomyositis and polymyositis syndromes...
- MECHANISMS OF CUTANEOUS INJURY IN LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUSRichard Sontheimer; Fiscal Year: 1991..These studies might also yield insight into the pathogenesis of other related inflammatory skin diseases such as lichen planus, dermatomyositis and lichenoid drug eruptions.
- Drug Compound Screening for Dermatomyositis and Systemic Lupus ErythematosusSteven Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 2009b>Dermatomyositis and systemic lupus erythematosus are autoimmune disorders of uncertain cause and without specific medical therapy, generally treated with non-specific immunosuppressive medications that have significant complications...
- Pathogenic Mechanisms of the Vasculopathy of JDMAlexei Grom; Fiscal Year: 2004Despite the fact that juvenile dermatomyositis is viewed "primarily as a systemic vasculopathy rather than simply an inflammation of muscle and skin", our knowledge of the vascular abnormalities in this disease is based on only few ..
- Gene Expression in Inflammatory MyopathiesSteven Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..This work may provide further diagnostic approaches to these disorders and contribute to the understanding of their pathogenesis. ..
- Lymphoma in Autoimmune Disease: Consequence of Immune Suppression or Stimulation?Sasha Bernatsky; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our proposed project will help identify patients at highest risk for lymphoma and provide guidance regarding initiation and maintenance of therapy to control SLE. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Untreated DQA1*0501+JDM:Clinical and Genetic ProfilesLauren Pachman; Fiscal Year: 2006Juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM), a frequently devastating disease affecting young children, is often preceded by an upper respiratory infection...
- Characterization of B Cells in DermatomyositisElizabeth Bradshaw; Fiscal Year: 2008unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In dermatomyositis, B cells infiltrate the muscle tissue...
- A Pilot Study of Etanercept in DermatomyositisAnthony Amato; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Dermatomyositis (DM) is one of the major subtypes of idiopathic inflammatory myopathy. Prednisone is the initial treatment of choice in most patients with DM...
- CLINICAL TRAILS IN PEDIATRIC RHEUMATOLOGYDaniel Lovell; Fiscal Year: 2004..2. Determine the long-term efficacy and safety of these treatment regimens in sJRA. ..
- Treating Asthma Patients with Major Depressive DisorderE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Fourth Biennial Arthritis Research ConferenceMARY CROW; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- A FUNCTIONAL GENOMICS HEART & LUNG DEVELOP. PROGRAMEric Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISM OF PAIN IN PATIENTS WITH FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROMERoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, our findings may contribute to the understanding of pain mechanisms related to other chronic pain disorders. ..
- Molecular pathophysiology of facioscapulohumeral muscul*Yi Wen Chen; Fiscal Year: 2003..relative to other muscle disease (Duchenne muscular dystrophy, alpha-sarcoglycan deficiency, juvenile dermatomyositis, and dysferlin deficiency)...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF RETT SYNDROMEEric Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Detailed physical mapping to define physical rearrangements in Xq28 will serve as a basis for testing candidate expressed sequence tags (ESTs) from within the critical region and for eventual gene and protein characterization. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETIC STUDIES OF RECURRENT PREGNANCY LOSSEric Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2002..This proposal represents a synergistic collaboration between a laboratory well versed in molecular analysis of inherited traits, and clinicians and epidemiologists with considerable expertise in women's health issues. ..
- Functional SNP's Assoc with Human Muscle Size & StrengthEric Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2004..The increase in understanding of normal human variation in muscle structure and function will have implications for both health (sports performance) and disease (sarcopenia during aging, atrophy during space flight). ..
- Genetic Risks for Medication-Related Hemorrhagic StrokeSteven Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal is thus likely to form the foundation of a powerful, open-ended search for a panel of genetic tests to determine an individual's risk for Warfarin-related ICH. ..
- Nicolet Continumm XL FTIR Microscope SystemNaomi Eidelman; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Anti-Jo-1 Immune Responses in Autoimmune MyositisStuart Levine; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Functional SNPs Associated with Human Muscle Size and StrengthEric P Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, the understanding of genetic variation also will impact our knowledge of basic biochemical pathways dictating muscle structure and function. ..
- Interferon in Systemic Lupus ErythematosusMary K Crow; Fiscal Year: 2010..Elucidation of this important pathway should lead to more targeted modulation of disease mediators in systemic autoimmune diseases. ..
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaROLAND M STAUD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both. Thus patients with FM and other similar pain syndromes may strongly benefit from the results of our study. ..
- Nitric Oxide Metabolism in Statin-treated Pediatric SLEMARC LEVESQUE; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, these DNA samples will constitute an important resource for future genetic analyses of pediatric SLE. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The role of dendritic cell-T cell interactions in the p*Mariana Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2006..These could lead into the development of novel therapeutic interventions designed to reverse these abnormalities and abrogate or block the onset and/or severity of this disease. ..
- Naltrexone for Bipolar Disorder and Alcohol DependenceE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..Alcohol use is the primary outcome, and alcohol craving is the secondary outcome. Manic and depressive symptom severity and the relationship between changes in alcohol use and changes in mood will be expIored. ..
- Contractures: Molecular Remodeling of MTJ and MuscleEric Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2005..All profiles with the MTJ expression signatures will be released to the public via our existing Oracle Web database. The MTJs will be isolated by laser capture microscopy well established in the laboratory. ..
- NC-758 for Prevention of Recurrent Cerebral HemorrhageSteven Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition to testing a promising agent for CAA, the proposed study will generate the organization and pilot data to serve as a springboard for future trials of emerging anti-amyloid treatments. ..
- ACETABULAR BONE LOSS AFTER PROSTHETIC HIP ARTHROPLASTYR Looney; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, DNA and serum samples from all subjects studied in this proposal will be banked. ..
- Oklahoma Specialized Center of Research in SLEMorris Reichlin; Fiscal Year: 2006....