Genomes and Genes
discoid lupus erythematosus
Summary: A chronic form of cutaneous lupus erythematosus (LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS, CUTANEOUS) in which the skin lesions mimic those of the systemic form but in which systemic signs are rare. It is characterized by the presence of discoid skin plaques showing varying degrees of edema, erythema, scaliness, follicular plugging, and skin atrophy. Lesions are surrounded by an elevated erythematous border. The condition typically involves the face and scalp, but widespread dissemination may occur.
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- Current treatment of cutaneous lupus erythematosusV Werth
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Dermatol Online J 7:2. 2001..The antimalarials remain the cornerstone of treatment because of their effectiveness and safety. Optimal use of the antimalarials as well as alternative therapy options are discussed...
- Periorbital oedema and erythema as a manifestation of discoid lupus erythematosusR P Braun
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Dermatology 205:194-7. 2002..Since swelling of the eyelid is common in the dermatological practice, dermatologists should be aware of the differential diagnosis and its occurrence in patients with DLE...
- Pimecrolimus 1% cream for cutaneous lupus erythematosusAlexander Kreuter
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:407-10. 2004..001). This was an open and uncontrolled study on a limited number of cases. We suggest that pimecrolimus 1% cream could be an efficacious and safe treatment option for cutaneous lupus erythematosus...
- [Lupus erythematosus or human immunodeficiency virus infection? Diagnostic problems in rheumatologic practice--two case reports]Beata Nowak
Zakład Reumatologii AM we Wrocławiu
Pol Arch Med Wewn 114:1098-102. 2005..The aim of the article is to stress the importance of a very careful differentiating of SLE and HIV infection...
- Optical coherence tomography of cutaneous lupus erythematosus correlates with histopathologyT Gambichler
Department of Dermatology, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Lupus 16:35-8. 2007..Nevertheless, the current technique does not allow one to visualize definite diagnostic features of cutaneous LE. However, OCT may be a promising method for objective monitoring of LE activity and treatment effects over time in vivo...
- Scarring skin lesions of discoid lupus erythematosus are characterized by high numbers of skin-homing cytotoxic lymphocytes associated with strong expression of the type I interferon-induced protein MxAJ Wenzel
Department of Dermatology, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Br J Dermatol 153:1011-5. 2005..T cells, but failed to explain the development of scarring skin lesions, characteristic for chronic discoid lupus erythematosus (CDLE)...
- Association between discoid lupus erythematosus and cigarette smokingHélio Amante Miot
Dermatology Department, UNESP Medical School, Botucatu, Brazil
Dermatology 211:118-22. 2005b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is a chronic cutaneous disease affecting photoexposed areas and has also been associated with cigarette smoking.
- Efficacy and safety of pulsed dye laser treatment for cutaneous discoid lupus erythematosusAngelina Erceg
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Am Acad Dermatol 60:626-32. 2009Treatment of chronic discoid lupus erythematosus (CDLE) with a pulsed dye laser (PDL) has shown promising results, although outcomes in previous studies were not validated and laser parameters were inconsistent.
- Preliminary evaluation of in vivo reflectance confocal microscopy features of Discoid lupus erythematosusM Ardigo
San Gallicano Dermatological Institute, IRCCS, Via Chianesi 53, 00144 Rome, Italy
Br J Dermatol 156:1196-203. 2007b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) can simulate other inflammatory diseases both clinically and histologically...
- Lenalidomide for the treatment of resistant discoid lupus erythematosusAsha Shah
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, 3600 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Dermatol 145:303-6. 2009b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is a chronic, disfiguring disease that is characterized by scaly, erythematous, disk-shaped patches and plaques followed by atrophy, scarring, and dyspigmentation...
- Follicular red dots: a novel dermoscopic pattern observed in scalp discoid lupus erythematosusAntonella Tosti
Department of Dermatology, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 1, 40138, Bologna, Italy
Arch Dermatol 145:1406-9. 2009....
- Early diagnosis and treatment of discoid lupus erythematosusSuresh Panjwani
Bounces Road Surgery, Forest Primary Care Centre, London, UK
J Am Board Fam Med 22:206-13. 2009b>Discoid lupus erythematosus is a chronic dermatological disease that can lead to scarring, hair loss, and hyperpigmentation changes in skin if it is not treated early and promptly...
- Discoid lupus erythematosus masquerading as chronic blepharoconjunctivitisNisha Acharya
Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ophthalmology 112:e19-23. 2005To recognize discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) as a treatable cause of chronic blepharoconjunctivitis.
- Coexistence of osteopoikilosis and discoid lupus erythematosus: a case reportA Bicer
Mersin University, Mersin, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 21:405-7. 2002..We report a case of osteopoikilosis and discoid lupus erythematosus presenting with skin and mucosal involvement, an association that has never previously been reported...
- Treatment of resistant discoid lupus erythematosus of the palms and soles with mycophenolate mofetilS Goyal
Department of Dermatology, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 45:142-4. 2001..Expanding the use of this agent in dermatology, we describe 2 patients with both systemic lupus erythematosus and discoid lupus erythematosus whose recalcitrant palmoplantar lesions were successfully treated with mycophenolate mofetil.
- Lupus erythematosus tumidus and chronic discoid lupus erythematosus in carriers of X-linked chronic granulomatous diseaseR A Rupec
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Frauenblobstr 9 11, D 80337 Munich, Germany
Eur J Dermatol 10:184-9. 2000..lupus erythematosus (LE) with clinically and morphologically characteristic appearance for chronic discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) and lupus erythematosus tumidus (LET)...
- Squamous cell carcinoma in black patients with discoid lupus erythematosusWakisa K Mulwafu
Division of Otolaryngology, University of Cape Town
S Afr J Surg 44:144-6. 2006..We report on 2 further cases, the first to be reported in southern Africa, of squamous cell carcinoma in lesions of discoid lupus erythematosus
- Systemic and discoid lupus erythematosus in HIV-infected patients treated with highly active antiretroviral therapyLeonardo Calza
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Bologna, S Orsola Hospital, Italy
Int J STD AIDS 14:356-9. 2003..Two HIV-infected female patients with SLE and discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) diagnosed a few months after the highly active antiretroviral therapy initiation, are described...
- Pimecrolimus 1% cream versus betamethasone 17-valerate 0.1% cream in the treatment of facial discoid lupus erythematosus: a double-blind, randomized pilot studyB Barikbin
Skin Research Centre, Shahid Beheshti University, M C, Shohada e Tajrish Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Clin Exp Dermatol 34:776-80. 2009b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is commonly treated with topical agents, the most important of which are glucocorticosteroids...
- The effect of topical tacrolimus on severe recalcitrant chronic discoid lupus erythematosusS L Walker
Br J Dermatol 147:405-6. 2002
- Pimecrolimus 1% cream for the treatment of discoid lupus erythematosusA Tlacuilo-Parra
Medical Research Division, UMAE, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional de Occidente, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:1564-8. 2005To determine the safety and efficacy of pimecrolimus cream on lesions of discoid lupus erythematosus.
- Evaluation of the profile of the immune cell infiltrate in lichen planus, discoid lupus erythematosus, and chronic dermatitisMahmoud Rezk A Hussein
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Assuit University Hospitals, Assuit, Egypt
Pathology 40:682-93. 2008..This investigation tries to test this hypothesis and to characterise immune cells in interface dermatitis...
- Efalizumab in the treatment of discoid lupus erythematosusNaila Usmani
Department of Dermatology, Leeds General Infirmary, Great George St, Leeds LS1 3EX, England
Arch Dermatol 143:873-7. 2007b>Discoid lupus erythematosus is a chronic inflammatory condition in which the pathogenesis and the role of cell-mediated immunity remains unclear...
- Dramatic response of scarring scalp discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) to intravenous methylprednisolone, oral corticosteroids, and hydroxychloroquine in a 5-year-old childPaivi M H Miettunen
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Pediatr Dermatol 26:338-41. 2009b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is rare in childhood. We report the case of a 5-year-old girl who presented with erythematous scaly plaques, with scarring alopecia, involving approximately 40% of her scalp...
- The circulating lymphocyte profiles in patients with discoid lupus erythematosus and systemic lupus erythematosus suggest a pathogenetic relationshipC H P Wouters
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Br J Dermatol 150:693-700. 2004b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) are chronic inflammatory diseases of unknown aetiology; the relationship of DLE with SLE has been a subject of debate for many years...
- Treatment of chronic discoid lupus erythematosus with topical tacrolimusDaniel de la Rosa Carrillo
Acta Derm Venereol 84:233-4. 2004
- 0.1% tacrolimus ointment in the treatment of discoid lupus erythematosusMichael P Heffernan
Arch Dermatol 141:1170-1. 2005
- Childhood discoid lupus erythematosus: a Tunisian retrospective study of 16 casesFaika Cherif
Department of Dermatology, La Rabta Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia
Pediatr Dermatol 20:295-8. 2003b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is uncommon in children. The clinical features of childhood DLE are similar to those of adult DLE in presentation and chronic course...
- A randomized controlled trial of R-salbutamol for topical treatment of discoid lupus erythematosusG B E Jemec
Department of Dermatology, Health Sciences Faculty, University of Copenhagen, Roskilde Hospital, Roskilde, Denmark
Br J Dermatol 161:1365-70. 2009In a recent open pilot trial, R-salbutamol sulphate, a well-known molecule with anti-inflammatory effects, was tested successfully on patients with therapy-resistant discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE).
- Discoid lupus erythematosus presenting as madarosisDinesh Selva
Oculoplastic and Orbital Clinic, Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Adelaide Hospital, University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Am J Ophthalmol 136:545-6. 2003b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is an autoimmune disorder that usually affects the sun-exposed skin. Periocular involvement occurs uncommonly and may progress from eyelid erythema to scarring and madarosis.
- Discoid lupus erythematosus in children: clinical, histopathologic, and follow-up features in 27 casesCelia Moises-Alfaro
Department of Pediatric Dermatology, National Institute of Pediatrics, Mexico City, Mexico
Pediatr Dermatol 20:103-7. 2003Among 27 pediatric patients with a clinicopathologic diagnosis of discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE), 15 had localized cutaneous lesions and 12 had disseminated lesions...
- Successful treatment with topical tacrolimus in four cases of discoid lupus erythematosusMasayoshi Sugano
Department of Geriatric and Environmental Dermatology, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
J Dermatol 33:887-91. 2006b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE), a cutaneous form of lupus erythematosus, is characterized as atrophic and scaly erythema and the lesions are often refractory to a wide range of topical or systemic therapies...
- [Discoid lupus erythematosus with eyelid involvement. A series of nine patients]M Mseddi
Service de Dermatologie, Sfax, Tunisie
J Fr Ophtalmol 30:247-9. 2007b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is a chronic autoimmune skin disease that usually affects the sun-exposed skin. Palpebral involvement occurs uncommonly.
- A trial of low-dose UVA1 phototherapy for two patients with recalcitrant discoid lupus erythematosusA Mitra
Clin Exp Dermatol 31:299-300. 2006
- Discoid lupus erythematosus exacerbated by radiation therapyAkemi Ishida-Yamamoto
J Dermatol 32:225-6. 2005
- Discoid lupus erythematosus exacerbated by contact dermatitis caused by use of squaric acid dibutylester for topical immunotherapy in a patient with alopecia areataYayoi Shimaoka
Department of Dermatology, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Mibu, Tochigi, Japan
J Dermatol 35:151-3. 2008A 57-year-old Japanese male patient with an 18-year history of discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) presented with alopecia on his scalp, and was clinically diagnosed to have alopecia areata...
- Evidence of reduced plasma HDL subfractions in patients with cutaneous discoid lupus erythematosusIrene Lagogianni
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Athens School of Medicine, Goudi 74, Athens 11527, Greece
Clin Biochem 38:286-90. 2005The aim of the present study was to evaluate the dyslipidemic profile of patients with Cutaneous Discoid Lupus Erythematosus (DLE) with particular emphasis on the levels of High Density Lipoprotein (HDL) Cholesterol and its subfractions, ..
- [Successful therapy of discoid lupus erythematosus with efalizumab]N Booken
Klinik fur Dermatologie, Venerologie und Allergologie, Universitatsklinikum Mannheim, Medizinische Fakultät Mannheim der Universität Heidelberg, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, 68135, Mannheim
Hautarzt 61:246-9. 2010The therapy of discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is occasionally a therapeutic challenge. Topical treatment is often not sufficient and therapy with antimalarials [(hydroxy-) chloroquine] not always successful...
- Cicatricial alopecia: discoid lupus erythematosusMaria Hordinsky
Department of Dermatology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Dermatol Ther 21:245-8. 2008Chronic cutaneous lupus erythematosus consists of three major dermatologic diseases: discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE), lupus panniculitis/lupus profundus, and lupus tumidus (Table 1)...
- Detection of type 1 cytokines in discoid lupus erythematosusJ R Toro
National Cancer Intitute, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Room 12N 238, 10 Center Dr, MSC 1908, Bethesda, MD 20892 1908, USA
Arch Dermatol 136:1497-501. 2000Although multiple studies suggest a dysregulated T-cell cytokine production in systemic lupus erythematosus, the cytokine profile in discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) lesions is unknown.
- Discoid lupus erythematosus in children--a retrospective study of 34 patientsMaria Carolina de Abreu Sampaio
Department of Dermatology, Hospital das Clinicas, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Pediatr Dermatol 25:163-7. 2008b>Discoid lupus erythematosus is much less frequent and studied in children. We undertook a retrospective study of 34 children less than 16 years of age with this disease, seen over a period of 9 years...
- Systematic administration of chloroquine in discoid lupus erythematosus reduces skin lesions via inhibition of angiogenesisA Lesiak
Department of Dermatology, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
Clin Exp Dermatol 34:570-5. 2009b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is a chronic cutaneous form of lupus erythematosus, characterized by inflammation and scarring skin lesions, with lymphocyte infiltration and vasodilation...
- Immunoglobulin M predominance in cutaneous lupus erythematosusAndrew P Kontos
Department of Dermatology, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI, USA
J Cutan Pathol 32:352-5. 2005..Our goal was to characterize the most frequent immune reactants in the skin biopsies of cutaneous LE and identify the most common immunofluorescence staining patterns...
- Role of the chemokine receptor CCR4 and its ligand thymus- and activation-regulated chemokine/CCL17 for lymphocyte recruitment in cutaneous lupus erythematosusJoerg Wenzel
Department of Dermatology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 124:1241-8. 2005..Our investigations suggest that CCR4 and TARC/CCL17 play a role in the pathophysiology of CLE. In particular, cytotoxic CD8+ T cells expressing CCR4 appear to be involved in scarring subtypes of CLE...
- [Cutaneous lesions in lupus erythematosus]J Wenzel
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie, Universitatsklinikum Bonn
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 128:1655-8. 2003
- Systemic sclerosis with unusual panniculitis and overlying discoid lupus erythematosus-like lesionsHiroshi Oka
Department of Dermatology, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 3:627-9. 2005..men presented with systemic sclerosis accompanied by both unusual panniculitis and overlying discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE)-like skin changes on the left buttock...
- Cutaneous warts in patients with lupus erythematosusCengiz Korkmaz
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Osmangazi University, Eskisehir, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 24:137-40. 2004..The findings suggest that the high prevalence of CW in patients with LE is probably due to defects in some immune mechanisms, independently of immunosuppressive drugs...
- Cutaneous lupus erythematosus: a personal approach to managementJeffrey P Callen
Division of Dermatology, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
Australas J Dermatol 47:13-27. 2006..The skin lesions that are represented by the interface dermatitis include discoid lupus erythematosus, subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus and acute cutaneous lupus erythematosus...
- [Cutaneous lupus erythematosus. Part 1: clinical manifestations and classification]A Kuhn
Hautklinik der Heinrich Heine Universität Düsseldorf
Hautarzt 57:251-67; quiz 268. 2006..The first part of this review will enable the reader to identify the various clinical manifestations of CLE and to employ characteristic criteria to assess differential diagnostic considerations...
- Topical tacrolimus therapy of resistant cutaneous lesions in lupus erythematosus: a possible alternativeC E Lampropoulos
Lupus Research Unit, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 43:1383-5. 2004..To determine the efficacy of tacrolimus ointment 0.1% on resistant cutaneous lesions in patients with lupus erythematosus...
- Collagen vascular diseasesJeffrey P Callen
Division of Dermatology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, KY 40292, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:427-39. 2004
- The effects of daily stress and stressful life events on the clinical symptomatology of patients with lupus erythematosusMaria I Peralta-Ramírez
Department of Clinical Psychology, School of Psychology, University of Granada, Granda, Spain
Psychosom Med 66:788-94. 2004..Toward this end, we considered two types of stressors-daily stress and high-intensity stressful life events...
- Tumid lupus erythematosus: an unusual scleredema-like presentationCarol A K Roper
Department of Dermatology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Skinmed 5:92-4. 2006..A diagnosis of tumid lupus erythematosus mimicking scleredema was made. Hydroxychloroquine therapy was started at a dose of 200 mg and, at 2 months' follow-up, the patient's symptoms and appearance were improved...
- Hyperkeratotic nail discoid lupus erythematosus evolving towards systemic lupus erythematosus: therapeutic difficultiesB Richert
University of Liege, Quai G Kurth, 45, B 4020 Liege, Belgium
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18:728-30. 2004..Nailbed hyperkeratosis may be observed in both SLE and discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE). Involvement of the nail apparatus in DLE is extremely uncommon and never restricted to it...
- [Unilateral periorbital tumefaction]M Dumont-Berset
Service de dermatologie et vénérologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois CHUV, DHURDV, Lausanne, Suisse
Ann Dermatol Venereol 133:191-3. 2006
- Arcuate plantar plaques as the initial sign of chronic cutaneous lupus in a childTracy Evans-Ramsey
Department of Pediatrics, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Oakland, California, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:S270-1. 2003..She responded to oral hydrochloroquine with resolution of her skin lesions. This report highlights the unusual presentation of a case of chronic cutaneous lupus with a plantar skin eruption...
- Activation/inactivation of the classical pathway of complement in non-lesional skin of patients with systemic lupus erythematosusA Alahlafi
Department of Dermatology, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
J Cutan Pathol 32:537-40. 2005..The expression of proteins that regulate complement has not been previously investigated in the skin of patients with SLE...
- Enhanced type I interferon signalling promotes Th1-biased inflammation in cutaneous lupus erythematosusJoerg Wenzel
Department of Dermatology, University of Bonn, Germany
J Pathol 205:435-42. 2005..It is proposed that type I IFNs induce a Th1-biased inflammatory immune response, with recruitment of CXCR3-expressing T-lymphocytes into the skin...
- Identification of retroviral DNA sequences in serum of cutaneous forms of lupus erythematosus patientsJanusz Prokop
Department of Dermatology, University of Medical Sciences, 6 Swiecickiego St, 60 781 Poznan, Poland
Eur J Dermatol 13:354-8. 2003..Our findings suggest that the presence of endogenous retroviral sequences in patient serum may exhibit a relationship with development of cutaneous forms of LE disease...
- Photosensitivity in patients with lupus erythematosus: a clinical and photobiological study of 100 patients using a prolonged phototest protocolC J G Sanders
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, University Medical Centre, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 149:131-7. 2003..Phototesting using artificial UVR and visible light is a reliable way of diagnosing photosensitivity...
- Cutaneous lupus erythematosus: diagnosis and managementPaolo Fabbri
Department of Dermatological Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Am J Clin Dermatol 4:449-65. 2003..Patient education regarding the disease is also important in the management of CLE, because it helps relieve undue anxiety and to recruit the patient as an active participant in the treatment regimen...
- Quality of life and disease severity in a cutaneous lupus erythematosus pilot studyElizabeth Gaines
Arch Dermatol 144:1061-2. 2008
- The CD40/CD40 ligand system in the skin of patients with subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosusMarzia Caproni
Department of Dermatological Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Rheumatol 34:2412-6. 2007..To investigate whether CD40 and CD40 ligand (CD40L) is expressed in the skin of patients with subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (SCLE)...
- Discoid and subacute lupus erythematosus treated with 0.5% R-salbutamol creamHans Christian Wulf
Arch Dermatol 143:1589-90. 2007
- Systemic lupus erythematosus with generalized chronic cutaneous (discoid) lupus erythematosusChicky Dadlani
Department of Dermatology, New York University, USA
Dermatol Online J 14:5. 2008..features were consistent with systemic lupus erythematosus in a patient with generalized chronic discoid lupus erythematosus. This subtype is a distinct lupus erythematosus subset that rarely develops renal disease and has a ..
- Comparison of anti 60 and 52 kDa SS-A/Ro antibodies in the pathogenesis of cutaneous lupus erythematosusTakashi Yoshimasu
Department of Dermatology, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Japan
J Dermatol Sci 29:35-41. 2002..However, both type antibodies seemed to have little contribution to the pathogenesis of DLE skin lesion...
- The value of lymphocytopenia as a marker of systemic involvement in cutaneous lupus erythematosusJ Wenzel
Department of Dermatology, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Br J Dermatol 146:869-71. 2002..Recent studies revealed some markers indicating systemic manifestations of CLE patients. However, the significance of diminished peripheral lymphocyte numbers as a marker of systemic involvement in CLE has not been investigated before...
- [Lichen sclerosus et atrophicus--a diagnostic problem]Z Golusin
Klinika za kozno-venericne bolesti, Klinicki centar, Medicinski fakultet, Novi Sad
Med Pregl 54:187-90. 2001..DISCUSSION: Differentiation between chronic discoid lupus erythematosus and LSA presents a diagnostic challenge...
- High frequency of vitamin D deficiency among patients with cutaneous lupus erythematosus [corrected]J Renne
Br J Dermatol 159:485-6. 2008
- A protective effect of glutathione-S-transferase GSTP1*Val(105) against polymorphic light eruptionThomas P Millard
Department of Photobiology, St John s Institute of Dermatology, London, UK
J Invest Dermatol 128:1901-5. 2008..in patients with lupus erythematosus (LE) including subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (SCLE) and discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE), which may reflect a common genetic background...
- Matrix metalloproteinases as mediators of tissue injury in different forms of cutaneous lupus erythematosusT M Järvinen
Department of Dermatology, Helsinki University Central Hospital and Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, Meilahdentie 2, 00250 Helsinki, Finland
Br J Dermatol 157:970-80. 2007..Although some MMPs associate with organ manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), their role in cutaneous lupus erythematosus (LE) is elusive...
- Cutaneous lupus erythematosus: a reviewPurvisha Patel
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Dermatol Clin 20:373-85, v. 2002..CLE patients who exhibit these symptoms should be monitored closely, since they may be at increased risk to develop SLE...
- [Classification of dermatologic manifestations in lupus erythematosus]Camille Frances
Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital de la Pitie, 83, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13
Ann Med Interne (Paris) 154:33-44. 2003..An accurate diagnosis is absolutely necessary since therapy is different in thrombosis and vasculitis. Non vascular and non lupus lesions are numerous, some of them require special treatment such as dapsone for bullous lupus...
- Coexisting pseudoxanthoma elasticum and lupus erythematosus: report of two casesJulie Le Scanff
Department of Internal Medicine, Hotel Dieu, Lyon, France
Int J Dermatol 46:622-4. 2007..Given the ocular and vascular complications of PXE, clinicians who treat patients with lupus should be aware of this possible association...
- Treatment of lupus erythematosus with pulsed dye laserOfelia Baniandrés
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Ramó y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Lasers Surg Med 32:327-30. 2003..The improvement of telangiectasias and chronic erythema of the cutaneous lesions was based on the selective photothermolysis ablation of the dilated capillaries and venules...
- Conversion of discoid lupus to antiphospholipid syndrome and SLEMichelle M A Fernando
Section of Molecular Genetics and Rheumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 4:106-10. 2008..He had a history of discoid lupus erythematosus, complex partial seizures, cerebral thromboses associated with antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) and ..
- Linear childhood discoid lupus erythematosus following the lines of Blaschko: a case report with review of the linear manifestations of lupus erythematosusJ J Green
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at Camden, New Jersey, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 16:128-33. 1999Seventeen cases of childhood discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) have been previously reported in the literature. We describe the first reported case of childhood linear DLE following the lines of Blaschko...
- Systemic lupus erythematosus in childhoodMarisa Klein-Gitelman
Division of Immunology Rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 28:561-77, vi-vii. 2002..Perhaps the most essential point in treating a child with lupus is to be aware and concerned about how to deliver treatment to a patient in the middle of their physical, intellectual, and emotional development...
- FACS monitoring of lymphocyte-subsets in patients with discoid and subacute-cutaneous lupus erythematosus receiving low-dose methotrexateIngrid Boehm
Department of Dermatology, University of Bonn, Germany
Scand J Rheumatol 31:216-20. 2002..Our purpose was to describe and characterize the influence of low-dose methotrexate (MTX) treatment on absolute counts of peripheral blood cells and lymphocyte subsets in patients with cutaneous lupus erythematosus (LE)...
- Cicatricial alopecia: classification and histopathologyNajwa Somani
Departments of Dermatology and Dermatopathology, Cleveland Clinic Health System, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Dermatol Ther 21:221-37. 2008..The primary cicatricial alopecias often share overlapping features. The highest diagnostic yield is procured when histology is correlated with the clinical presentation...
- Chronic cutaneous lupus in childhood: a report of two cases and review of the literatureCheryl Bansal
Int J Dermatol 47:525-6. 2008
- Scarring alopecia in discoid lupus erythematosus: a clinical, histopathologic and immunopathologic studyP Fabbri
Second Dermatology Clinic, Department of Dermatological Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Lupus 13:455-62. 2004Scarring alopecia is a very frequent feature of chronic discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE)...
- Neonatal lupus erythematosus and maternal lupus erythematosus mimicking HELLP syndromeS Paton
Dermatology Program, Children's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
Pediatr Dermatol 10:177-81. 1993..The patient had elevated Ro(SSA) and La(SSB) antibody titers, and studies performed on maternal blood disclosed positive antinuclear antibodies and elevated Ro and La antibody titers...
- The demonstration of SS-A/Ro antigen in human fetal tissues and in neonatal and adult skinL A Lee
J Invest Dermatol 85:143-6. 1985..We have shown that SS-A/Ro antigen is a normal component of tissues that may be affected in neonatal lupus (fetal myocardium, neonatal epidermis) and in subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (adult epidermis)...
- Anti-SSA/Ro antibody as a risk factor for fluorouracil-induced drug eruptions showing acral erythema and discoid-lupus-erythematosus-like lesionsAtsuko Adachi
Department of Dermatology, Hyogo Prefectural Kakogawa Hospital, Kakogawa, Japan
Dermatology 214:85-8. 2007..It is well known that fluorouracil (FU) agents frequently induce discoid-lupus-erythematosus (DLE)-like eruptions and acral erythema in Japan. However, the etiology of these drug eruptions caused by FU agents has not been clarified yet...
- Lupus erythematosus panniculitis: a clinicopathologic studyPatricia Pei Lin Ng
National Skin Centre, Singapore
Int J Dermatol 41:488-90. 2002..Lupus erythematosus panniculitis is a clinical variant of lupus erythematosus which involves the deep dermis and the subcutaneous fat. The purpose of this study was to ascertain the clinical profile of Asian patients with this condition...
- Palpebral involvement as a presenting and sole manifestation of discoid lupus erythematosusReza Yaghoobi
Department of Dermatology, Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
ScientificWorldJournal 10:2130-1. 2010..Biopsy specimen was obtained and diagnosis of discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) was made...
- Thalidomide: a re-lookJ K Grover
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Natl Med J India 13:132-41. 2000..dermatological conditions, thalidomide has been found to be effective in systemic lupus erythematosus, discoid lupus erythematosus, actinic prurigo and prurigo nodularis...
- Infiltrating cells, related cytokines and chemokine receptors in lesional skin of patients with dermatomyositisM Caproni
Department of Dermatological Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Br J Dermatol 151:784-91. 2004..There have been only two reports on immunophenotypic characterization in the cutaneous lesions of dermatomyositis (DM) that emphasize the importance of the infiltrating CD4+ T lymphocytes...
- Thalidomide: an experience in therapeutic outcome and adverse reactionsNand L Sharma
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy, Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla, India
J Dermatolog Treat 18:335-40. 2007..The US FDA-approved thalidomide for the treatment of chronic recurrent/severe erythema nodosum leprosum. Thalidomide is also useful in many other inflammatory dermatological conditions where patients have exhausted other treatment options...
- Keratinocytes from patients with lupus erythematosus show enhanced cytotoxicity to ultraviolet radiation and to antibody-mediated cytotoxicityF Furukawa
Department of Dermatology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan
Clin Exp Immunol 118:164-70. 1999..ADCC experiments were also performed using keratinocytes cultured from patients with SLE, SCLE, discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE), and normal controls...
- Practical management of hair lossJ Shapiro
Division of Dermatology, University of British Columbia UBC, Vancouver
Can Fam Physician 46:1469-77. 2000..To describe an organized diagnostic approach for both nonscarring and scarring alopecias to help family physicians establish an accurate in-office diagnosis. To explain when ancillary laboratory workup is necessary to confirm the diagnosis...
- Hair loss in elderly womenWenChieh Chen
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Eur J Dermatol 20:145-51. 2010..preexisting diseases such as androgenetic alopecia usually worsen after menopause, while others, like discoid lupus erythematosus, may attenuate...
- Association of a promoter polymorphism of tumor necrosis factor-alpha with subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus and distinct photoregulation of transcriptionV P Werth
The University of Pennsylvania, VA Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Invest Dermatol 115:726-30. 2000..lupus erythematosus, an extremely photosensitive form of cutaneous lupus erythematosus, but not in discoid lupus erythematosus, a less photosensitive form...
- Topical tacrolimus and pimecrolimus in the treatment of cutaneous lupus erythematosus: an evidence-based evaluationThrasivoulos George Tzellos
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 64:337-41. 2008..CLE is one of the most common dermatological autoimmune disorders worldwide, which includes systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) with malar rash, subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (SCLE) and discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE).
- The epidemiology of Graves' disease: evidence of a genetic and an environmental contributionKari Hemminki
Division of Molecular Genetic Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 580, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Autoimmun 34:J307-13. 2010..mellitus, Hashimoto/hypothyroidism, pernicious anemia, polymyositis/dermatomyositis, myasthenia gravis, discoid lupus erythematosus and localized scleroderma. Remarkably, there was a high disease concordance of 2.75 between spouses...
- Cardiomyopathy related to antimalarial therapy with illustrative case reportNathalie Costedoat-Chalumeau
Service de Medecine Interne, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Cardiology 107:73-80. 2007..one case of cardiotoxicity in a 59-year-old woman treated with antimalarials during 13 years for a discoid lupus erythematosus. She progressively developed conduction disturbances and congestive heart failure (CHF)...
- High ratio of IgG4-positive plasma cell infiltration in cutaneous plasmacytosis--is this a cutaneous manifestation of IgG4-related disease?Aya Miyagawa-Hayashino
Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Hum Pathol 40:1269-77. 2009..ratios of IgG4+ to IgG+ plasma cells were assessed using skin biopsy specimens with pemphigus (n = 7), discoid lupus erythematosus (n = 5), and morphea (n = 2) (mean ratios, 19%, 0%, and 0%, respectively); we noted the proportion of ..
- Genetic association of cutaneous neonatal lupus with HLA class II and tumor necrosis factor alpha: implications for pathogenesisRobert M Clancy
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10003, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:2598-603. 2004..Accordingly, this study was undertaken to seek genetic and histologic evidence for a role of TNFalpha in the pathogenesis of cutaneous neonatal lupus...
- Thalidomide: a review of approved and investigational usesS James Matthews
Department of Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Clin Ther 25:342-95. 2003..Its immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory, and antiangiogenic properties are currently under study in a number of clinical conditions...
- Treatment of lupus skin involvement with quinacrine and hydroxychloroquineI Cavazzana
Rheumatology Unit and Chair A O Spedali Civili di Brescia Università degli Studi di Brescia, Italy
Lupus 18:735-9. 2009..b>Discoid lupus erythematosus (19 cases), acute malar rash (6 cases), chilblain lupus (4 cases) showed a significant improvement with ..
- Molecular Markers in Discoid Lupus ErythematousBENJAMIN FRANKLIN CHONG; Fiscal Year: 2013..My mentored research project centers on discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE), a disease whose etiology is not well understood...
- Cardiac myofibroblasts in autoimmune-associated CHBRobert Clancy; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Identifying the Vitiligo Related SLE Gene on 17p13SWAPAN NATH; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Visual outcomes & quality of life in CMV retinitisJennifer Thorne; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Basis Investigations into MLS/Leopard SyndromeTheresa Pacheco; Fiscal Year: 2007..D. is an Assistant Professor of Dermatology and is committed to a career in clinical research with an focus on molecular markers of disease (pigmentation anomalies) and patient-oriented research topics. ..
- Identifying the novel SLE susceptibility gene on 5p15.3SWAPAN NATH; Fiscal Year: 2009..By applying both molecular genetic and genetic epidemiological techniques, this project has the potential to narrow the candidate region to a sufficiently small interval to identify this SLE susceptibility gene. ..
- Endothelial reactivity and nitric oxide synthetase activity in the ALMS (AsprevaRobert Clancy; Fiscal Year: 2009..Relevance to public health: The association of markers/indices of NOS2 expression with mechanism of action of a successful drug treatment in lupus nephritis would be a major advance. ..