Genomes and Genes
Summary: A fibrosarcoma of the skin, beginning most often as an indurated nodule that grows slowly and hence is often ignored until it grows large. Dermatofibrosarcomas show an extremely aggressive tendency to invade local surrounding tissue. They do not metastasize, however, even after multiple recurrences. About 50% will recur after simple incision; hence wide excision should be resorted to. (DeVita Jr et al., Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 3d ed, p1356)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH2
Publications238 found, 100 shown here
- Atrophic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a case report and reappraisal of the literatureDaniel J Sheehan
Section of Dermatology, Medical College of Georgia, 1004 Chafee Ave, Augusta, GA 30904, USA
Cutis 74:237-42. 2004b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is an uncommon cutaneous malignancy. Unusual presentations described as atrophic have been documented...
- Descriptive epidemiology of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in the United States, 1973 to 2002Vincent D Criscione
Dermatoepidemiology Unit, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Dermatology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02908 4799, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:968-73. 2007The epidemiology of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) has not been studied in detail.
- Differential sensitivity to imatinib of 2 patients with metastatic sarcoma arising from dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansRobert G Maki
Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021 6007, USA
Int J Cancer 100:623-6. 2002b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare superficial sarcoma usually affecting the trunk, with significant risk of local recurrence...
- Molecular targeting of platelet-derived growth factor B by imatinib mesylate in a patient with metastatic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansBrian P Rubin
Department of Pathology, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:3586-91. 2002b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is caused by activation of the platelet-derived growth factor B (PDGFB) receptor, a transmembrane tyrosine kinase...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans COL1A1-PDGFB fusion is identified in virtually all dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans cases when investigated by newly developed multiplex reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction and fluorescence in situ hybridization Kayuri U Patel
Department of Pathology at Texas Children s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Pathol 39:184-93. 2008b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a cutaneous, locally aggressive spindle cell tumor of intermediate malignancy...
- Reconstructive challenge of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in the female breastTae Hwan Park
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
World J Surg Oncol 9:1. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is an uncommon locally aggressive malignant neoplasm that most frequently appears in the trunk, followed by the extremities, head, and neck. But occurrence in the breast is extremely rare...
- Sustained complete remission of metastatic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans with imatinib mesylateStefanos V Labropoulos
First Department of Medical Oncology, Hygeia Hospital, Marousi, Greece
Anticancer Drugs 16:461-6. 2005b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a soft tissue tumor which may recur locally and rarely causes metastases to vital organs...
- Growth inhibition of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans tumors by the platelet-derived growth factor receptor antagonist STI571 through induction of apoptosisT Sjoblom
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, S 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
Cancer Res 61:5778-83. 2001b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) and giant cell fibroblastoma (GCF) are recurrent, infiltrative skin tumors that presently are treated with surgery...
- Imatinib mesylate: an attractive alternative in young children with large, surgically challenging dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansVictoria E Price
Department of Pediatrics, Division Hematology Oncology, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Pediatr Blood Cancer 44:511-5. 2005To document the clinical activity of imatinib mesyalte in a child with a dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP). An 18-month-old girl presented with a large extremity DFSP...
- Genetics of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans family of tumors: from ring chromosomes to tyrosine kinase inhibitor treatmentNicolas Sirvent
Service de Pediatrie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice, Nice, France
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 37:1-19. 2003b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DP) is a rare, slow-growing, infiltrating dermal neoplasm of intermediate malignancy, made up of spindle-shaped tumor cells often positive for CD34...
- Detection of COL1A1-PDGFB fusion transcripts and PDGFB/PDGFRB mRNA expression in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansTomonari Takahira
The Department of Anatomic Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Mod Pathol 20:668-75. 2007..alpha 1 (COL1A1) gene with the platelet-derived growth factor beta chain (PDGFB) gene has been described in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans...
- Myxoid dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular analysis of eight casesThomas Mentzel
Dermatopathologische Gemeinschaftspraxis, Friedrichshafen, Germany
Am J Dermatopathol 29:443-8. 2007b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) represents a locally aggressive mesenchymal neoplasm of skin and subcutis with characteristic clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular findings...
- The prognostic significance of fibrosarcomatous transformation in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansJared J Abbott
Division of Anatomic Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:436-43. 2006b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a superficial tumor characterized by high rates of local recurrence and a small risk of metastasis...
- Gains of COL1A1-PDGFB genomic copies occur in fibrosarcomatous transformation of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansJared J Abbott
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mod Pathol 19:1512-8. 2006b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is a superficial low-grade sarcoma that rarely evolves into a high-grade fibrosarcoma...
- Sarcomas arising in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a reappraisal of biologic behavior in eighteen cases treated by wide local excision with extended clinical follow upJ R Goldblum
Department of Anatomic Pathology of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 24:1125-30. 2000There is a prevailing view that sarcomas arising in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) have a higher risk of metastasis than ordinary DFSP, but these data are based on cases with variable and often suboptimal treatment...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans metastasizing to lymph nodes: a case report and review of literatureP Lal
Department of Surgery Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India
J Surg Oncol 72:178-80. 1999b>Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (DFSP) is an uncommon cutaneous soft tissue tumor. It is locally invasive and is known to recur. Metastases are rare and occur most commonly to the lungs...
- Myxoid dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a rare variant analyzed in a series of 23 casesJulie D R Reimann
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 31:1371-7. 2007The myxoid variant of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSPs) is uncommon. It often presents a diagnostic challenge and is important to recognize to prevent both undertreatment and overtreatment...
- Current treatment options in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansDoreen Lemm
Hämatologie Onkologie, Klinik fur Innere Medizin II, Universitatsklinikum Jena, Jena, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 135:653-65. 2009b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare malignant dermal neoplasm characterized by slow infiltrative growth, little metastatic potential but a high tendency to recur locally after surgical excision...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: how wide should we resect?Jeffrey M Farma
Department of Surgical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 17:2112-8. 2010b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare dermal tumor with local recurrence rates ranging from 0 to 50%...
- Outcomes of surgery for dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansC K Chang
Department of Surgery, Naples Community Hospital, Naples, FL, USA
Eur J Surg Oncol 30:341-5. 2004b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare soft tissue sarcoma usually presenting as nodular cutaneous mass on the trunk and proximal extremity. The tumour grows slowly, typically over years...
- Molecular and clinical analysis of locally advanced dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans treated with imatinib: Imatinib Target Exploration Consortium Study B2225Grant A McArthur
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Australia
J Clin Oncol 23:866-73. 2005The cutaneous malignant tumor dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is typically associated with a translocation between chromosomes 17 and 22 that places the platelet-derived growth factor-B (PDGFB) under the control of the collagen ..
- Molecular diagnosis of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a comparison between reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction and fluorescence in situ hybridization methodologiesRocio Salgado
Laboratori de Citogenètica Molecular, Servei de Patologia, GRETNHE, Programa de Recerca en Càncer, IMIM Institut de Recerca del Hospital del Mar, Parc de Salut Mar, Barcelona, Spain
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 50:510-7. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is characterized by the presence of the t(17;22)(q22;q13) that leads to the fusion of the COL1A1 and PDGFB genes...
- Peripheral excision margins for dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a meta-analysis of spatial dataZebadiah Kimmel
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:2113-20. 2007..The purpose of this study was to analyze available datasets to assess the degree of asymmetry typically associated with DFSP, and to study the optimal surgical approach for extirpating these tumors by clearing lateral margins...
- Transformed dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: real time polymerase chain reaction detection of COL1A1-PDGFB fusion transcripts in sarcomatous areasZoltan Szollosi
Department of Pathology, Medical and Health Science Center, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
J Clin Pathol 60:190-4. 2007..and a supernumerary ring chromosome derived from the translocation r(17;22) are highly characteristic of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP)...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans-derived fibrosarcoma: clinical history, biological profile and sensitivity to imatinibSilvia Stacchiotti
Adult Sarcoma Medical Oncology Unit, Department of Cancer Medicine, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Int J Cancer 129:1761-72. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (DFSP) carries a translocation resulting in the COL1A1/PDGFB fusion-gene, responsible for platelet derived growth factor beta receptor (PDGFRB) activation...
- Molecular and clinicopathological analysis of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansKassandra Walluks
Institute of Pathology, Jena University Hospital, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Ziegelmühlenweg 1, Jena, Germany
Pathol Res Pract 209:30-5. 2013b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a dermal and subcutaneous tumor of intermediate malignancy...
- Expression of MMP-2, MMP-9 and MMP-11 in dermatofibroma and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansYi Ting Chen
Department of Pathology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwain
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 28:545-9. 2012Dermatofibroma (DF) and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) are the spindle cell mesenchymal neoplasms of the dermis and subcutis. Their histogenesis still remains uncertain and controversial...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans treatment with platelet-derived growth factor receptor inhibitor: a review of clinical trial resultsBinu Malhotra
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Curr Opin Oncol 24:419-24. 2012b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare mesenchymal neoplasm arising in the dermis, accounting for less than 0.1% of all cancers...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: experience with 14 casesF D'Andrea
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Second Naples University, Italy
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 15:427-9. 2001b>Dermatofibrosarcoma is a rare, low-grade malignant skin tumour that can be considered the equivalent of malignant non-cutaneous soft tissue fibrohistiocytoma...
- PDGFB quantification is a useful tool in the diagnosis of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a study of 10 casesF C Muchemwa
Department of Dermatology and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kumamoto University Graduate School of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto, Japan
Clin Exp Dermatol 35:295-9. 2010..the platelet-derived growth factor-beta (PDGFB) gene and the collagen type 1 alpha1 (COL1A1) gene have been implicated in the pathogenesis of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP), a slow-growing and locally infiltrative dermal tumour.
- Collagen triple helix repeat containing-1 in the differential diagnosis of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans and dermatofibromaL Wang
Department of Dermatology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022, China
Br J Dermatol 164:135-40. 2011The distinction between dermatofibroma (DF) and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a well-known challenge for dermatopathologists...
- CD44 and hyaluronate in the differential diagnosis of dermatofibroma and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansEmel Calikoglu
Department of Dermatology, Fatih University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
J Cutan Pathol 30:185-9. 2003The histological distinction between dermatofibroma (DF) and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) may be extremely difficult. CD34 and Factor XIIIa have been used to differentiate DF from DFSP...
- IGFBP7, a novel immunohistochemical marker in differentiating dermatofibroma from dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansJ Li
Department of Dermatology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 26:382-5. 2012..To our knowledge, immunostaining of IGFBP7 in various dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) and dermatofibroma (DF) has not been studied before.
- Sclerosing dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP): an unusual variant with focus on the histopathologic differential diagnosisVicente Sabater-Marco
Department of Pathology, Consorcio General Hospital, Universitario de Valencia, Spain
Int J Dermatol 45:59-62. 2006..The final histopathologic diagnosis of the surgical specimen was sclerosing dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Two years after surgery, the patient is alive and well.
- [Targeted therapy of dermatofibrosarcoma with imatinib]Selma Ugurel
Klinische Kooperationseinheit Dermato Onkologie, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum Heidelberg, Universitäts Hautklinik Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 5:261. 2007
- [Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in children]I Zaraa
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital La Rabta, 1007 Jabbari, Tunis, Tunisia
Arch Pediatr 18:23-7. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a relatively rare skin neoplasm. Usually affecting adults, the incidence in children is even less frequent...
- Imatinib mesylate in a patient with metastatic disease originating from a dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the scalpBernd Kasper
Clinic of Medical Oncology, Institut Jules Bordet, Brussels, Belgium
Anticancer Drugs 17:1223-5. 2006b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is a soft-tissue tumor that may recur locally and rarely causes metastases to vital organs...
- Cutaneous CD34+ spindle cell neoplasms: Histopathologic features distinguish spindle cell lipoma, solitary fibrous tumor, and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansLance Wood
Department of Dermatology, The Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 32:764-8. 2010Spindle cell lipoma (SCL), dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP), and solitary fibrous tumors (SFT) are cutaneous CD34+ spindle cell tumors that may exhibit histopathologic and immunophenotypic overlap...
- FNA diagnosis of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansHenryk A Domanski
Department of Pathology and Cytology, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Diagn Cytopathol 32:299-302. 2005Fine-needle aspiration (FNA) features of primary and recurrent dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) in two patients were evaluated and correlated to ancillary studies and clinical data...
- Aesthetic surgery techniques after excision of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a case reportG Dagregorio
Department of Plastic Surgery, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire de Poitiers, rue de la Miletrie, BP 577, 86021 Poitiers Cedex, Poitiers, France
Br J Plast Surg 58:556-60. 2005..We report one case of wide excision where the opportunity arose to apply aesthetic surgery techniques combining bilateral superiorly based mammaplasty and reverse abdominoplasty...
- Atrophic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: an uncommon and misleading variantJason K Wu
Department of Dermatology, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Australas J Dermatol 45:175-7. 2004..Fifteen months later, the lesion was noted to have grown slightly. A repeat biopsy showed dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, with a storiform spindle cell proliferation with positive CD34 staining...
- Unusual skin tumors: Merkel cell carcinoma, eccrine carcinoma, glomus tumors, and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansJesse L Kampshoff
Department of Medical Education, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation, 1900 South Avenue, C03 006A, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
Surg Clin North Am 89:727-38. 2009This article discusses the epidemiology, etiology, presentation, pathology, evaluation and staging, and treatment of unusual skin tumors, such as Merkel cell carcinoma, eccrine carcinoma, glomus tumors, and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans.
- Clinical variants of the preprotuberant stage of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansL Martin
Department of Dermatology, Hôpital Porte Madeleine, CHR Orleans, 45032 Orleans Cedex 1, France
Br J Dermatol 153:932-6. 2005Some cases of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) do not protrude above the skin.
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: clinical, pathological, and genetic (COL1A1-PDGFB ) study with therapeutic implicationsBeatriz Llombart
Department of Dermatology, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Histopathology 54:860-72. 2009..of collagen type I alpha 1-platelet-derived growth factor beta (COL1A1-PDGFB) transcripts in 20 cases of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) and to assess the relationship between COL1A1 breakpoints and clinical and ..
- Transformed dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a clinicopathological study of eight casesZ Szollosi
Department of Pathology, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Centre, Debrecen, H 4012 Hungary
J Clin Pathol 58:751-6. 2005Fibrosarcomatous (FS) or malignant fibrous histiocytomatous (MFH) transformation of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare, but well known, entity. DFSPs with sarcomatous areas have questionable biological behaviour...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansVassilios A Dimitropoulos
Department of Dermatology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Dermatol Ther 21:428-32. 2008b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is a rare cutaneous malignancy that is locally invasive, occurs mainly over the trunk and proximal extremities, and has a tendency to recur after wide local excision...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a clinicopathological, immunohistochemical, genetic (COL1A1-PDGFB), and therapeutic study of low-grade versus high-grade (fibrosarcomatous) tumorsBeatriz Llombart
Department of Dermatology, Instituto Valenciano de Oncologia, Valencia, Spain
J Am Acad Dermatol 65:564-75. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is an uncommon cutaneous tumor, usually low grade, except for the fibrosarcomatous variant (DFSP-FS).
- Pediatric pigmented dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (Bednár tumor): case report and review of the literature with emphasis on the differential diagnosisJorge S Reis-Filho
Institute of Molecular Pathology and Immunology, University of Porto IPATIMUP, Portugal
Pathol Res Pract 198:621-6. 2002b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a fibrous tumor of intermediate malignant potential that usually affects the trunk of young to middle-aged adults...
- Pediatric dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: multi-institutional outcomesCorey W Iqbal
Department of Surgery, Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
J Surg Res 170:69-72. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) in children is uncommon.
- Atrophic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans with the fusion gene COL1A1-PDGFBB Llombart
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:371-4. 2008
- Outcomes in 11 patients with dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans treated with Mohs micrographic surgeryGaston Galimberti
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, Hospital Italiano, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Int J Dermatol 51:89-93. 2012b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is an uncommon intermediate-grade fibrohistiocytic sarcoma. It occurs most often in adults aged 20-50 years and is associated with local invasion and a high recurrence rate...
- Dermatofibroma and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a comparative ultrastructural studyHugo Dominguez-Malagon
Department of Surgical Pathology, Instituto Nacional de Cancerologia, Tlalpan, Mexico
Ultrastruct Pathol 30:283-91. 2006Dermatofibroma (DF) and dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) are dermal tumors whose histogenesis has not been well defined to date...
- Stromelysin 3 expression: a useful marker for the differential diagnosis dermatofibroma versus dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansBernard Cribier
Laboratoire d Histopathologie cutanée, Clinique Dermatologique des Hôpitaux Universitaires, 1 Place de l Hopital, Strasbourg, France 67091
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:408-13. 2002..Although the prognosis of breast cancers and extracutaneous squamous cell carcinomas is correlated with the level of expression of ST3, this staining has not yet found a routine application in dermatopathology...
- Molecular targeting of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a new approach to a surgical diseaseGrant A McArthur
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Australia
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 5:557-62. 2007b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a low-grade malignancy of the skin and subcutaneous tissues that only rarely forms distant metastases...
- Low-affinity nerve growth factor receptor (p75) in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans and other nonneural tumors: a study of 1,150 tumors and fetal and adult normal tissuesJ C Fanburg-Smith
Department of Soft Tissue Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306-6000, USA
Hum Pathol 32:976-83. 2001..Consistently positive nonneural mesenchymal tumors included dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP), embryonal and alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma, synovial sarcoma, and spindle cell hemangio(..
- Atrophic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: case report, review, and proposed molecular mechanismsCapt R John Young
Wilford Hall Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:761-4. 2003We report a case of atrophic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, an uncommon clinical variant...
- Congenital dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: variability in presentationJill M Weinstein
Department of Pediatric Dermatology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Arch Dermatol 139:207-11. 2003b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is an uncommon low-grade fibrohistiocytic tumor that usually occurs on the trunk or proximal extremities and typically appears during the second to fifth decade of life...
- Atrophic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: report of a case demonstrated by detecting COL1A1-PDGFB rearrangementJianjun Qiao
Department of Dermatology, The First Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, No 79, Qingchun Road, Hangzhou 310003, People s Republic of China
Diagn Pathol 7:166. 2012b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is a locally aggressive mesenchymal neoplasm. It usually presents as an indurated plaque that protrudes above the surface of the skin...
- Structural and functional analysis of a chimeric protein COL1A1-PDGFB generated by the translocation t(17;22)(q22;q13.1) in Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DP)M P Simon
Institute of Signalling, Developmental Biology and Cancer Research, CNRS UMR 6543, Centre Antoine-Lacassagne, 06189 Nice Cedex 2, France
Oncogene 20:2965-75. 2001b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DP), an infiltrative skin tumour of intermediate malignancy, presents specific cytogenetic features such as reciprocal translocations t(17;22)(q22;q13...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansStanley J Miller
The Sidney Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 5:550-5. 2007
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans treated at a single institution: a surgical disease with a high cure rateMarco Fiore
Department of Surgery, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Via Venezian 1, 20133 Milano, Italy
J Clin Oncol 23:7669-75. 2005b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare, low-grade, cutaneous sarcoma with autocrine overproduction of the platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) beta-chain from gene rearrangement as a key pathogenetic factor, now susceptible of ..
- Medallion-like dermal dendrocyte hamartoma: the main diagnostic pitfall is congenital atrophic dermatofibrosarcomaM Marque
Department of Dermatology, Hopital Saint Eloi, Montpellier University Hospital, 80 avenue Augustin Fliche, F 34295 Montpellier cedex 5, France
Br J Dermatol 160:190-3. 2009..In all the cases, atrophic congenital dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) was the first histological diagnosis...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans with atrophic appearance at early stage of the tumorMakiko Hanabusa
Department of Dermatology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka City University, Osaka, Japan
J Dermatol 34:336-9. 2007We report a case of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) which had looked like an atrophic plaque on the face for 20 years and been diagnosed as morphea...
- Targeted therapy for dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansThomas A Abrams
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0848, USA
Curr Oncol Rep 8:291-6. 2006b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare, cutaneous tumor characterized by aggressive local invasion. Local recurrence after excision is common, especially when negative margins are not achieved...
- Atrophic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansVania Sinovich
Department of Dermatology, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals, Oxford, UK
Australas J Dermatol 46:114-7. 2005..incisional biopsy specimens, along with histochemical staining for CD34, established the diagnosis of atrophic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. A wide local excision was carried out. There has been no recurrence at 9 months of follow up.
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: 35 patients treated with Mohs micrographic surgery using paraffin sectionsW P Tan
Dermatological Surgery and Laser Unit, St John s Institute of Dermatology, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
Br J Dermatol 164:363-6. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) has conventionally been treated with wide local excision. More recently Mohs micrographic surgery (MMS) has been advocated.
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a surgical disease with a molecular saviorGrant A McArthur
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Curr Opin Oncol 18:341-6. 2006b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is a low-grade malignancy of the skin and subcutaneous tissues with low potential for the development of distant metastases...
- Imatinib mesylate in the treatment of a large unresectable dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a case studyPaola Savoia
Department of Medical Sciences and Human Oncology, Section of Dermatology, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Dermatol Surg 32:1097-102. 2006
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans with fibrosarcomatous transformation of the head and neckNikolaos Angouridakis
Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Department, AHEPA University Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Head Neck Oncol 3:5. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare cutaneous neoplasm associated with a high cure rate. We present a case of aggressive DFSP with fibrosarcomatous areas in the head and neck...
- A clinical, histologic, and molecular study of 9 cases of congenital dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansGeorges Maire
Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory of Solid Tumors Genetics, Nice University Hospital, Nice, France
Arch Dermatol 143:203-10. 2007The diagnosis of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) in childhood is often difficult because of the deceptive appearance of the lesions...
- Supernumerary ring chromosomes in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans may contain sequences from 8q11.2-qter and 17q21-qter: a combined cytogenetic and comparative genomic hybridization studyJ Nishio
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Nanakuma, Jonan-ku, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, Japan
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 129:102-6. 2001b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) presents with characteristic cytogenetic features such as reciprocal t(17;22)(q22;q13) or, more commonly, supernumerary ring chromosomes containing sequences from chromosomes 17 and 22...
- Gene copy number changes in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans - a fine-resolution study using array comparative genomic hybridizationS Kaur
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute and HUSLAB, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Cytogenet Genome Res 115:283-8. 2006b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare, slow-growing, low-grade dermal tumor...
- Cytologic features of primary, recurrent, and metastatic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansHenryk A Domanski
Department of Pathology and Cytology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Cancer 96:351-61. 2002b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a low-grade spindle cell neoplasm involving both dermis and subcutis...
- Identification of t(17;22)(q22;q13) (COL1A1/PDGFB) in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans by fluorescence in situ hybridization in paraffin-embedded tissue microarraysSonia Segura
Department of Dermatology, Hospital del Mar, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Hum Pathol 42:176-84. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is genetically characterized by the translocation t(17;22)(q22;q13) resulting in the PDGFB/COL1A1 fusion gene. Fluorescence in situ hybridization with specific probes enables a rapid detection of this gene...
- Surgical management of congenital dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansW Elliot Love
Department of Dermatology, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 61:1014-23. 2009Congenital dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare tumor with varying clinical presentations that is commonly misdiagnosed...
- Distant metastasis of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the scalp--case reportYuji Uematsu
Department of Neurological Surgery, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 43:493-6. 2003A 49-year-old man presented with a rare dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) of the scalp associated with local recurrence and distant metastasis to the lung and abdomen...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: MR imaging featuresWilliam C Torreggiani
Department of Radiology, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, 899 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, B C, V5Z 1M9 Canada
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:989-93. 2002The objective of our study was to describe the MR imaging features of 10 cases of histologically confirmed dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans.
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, giant cell fibroblastoma, and hybrid lesions in children: clinicopathologic comparative analysis of 28 cases with molecular data--a study from the French Federation of Cancer Centers Sarcoma GroupMarie Josee Terrier-Lacombe
Department of Pathology, Gustave Roussy Institute, Villejuif, France
Am J Surg Pathol 27:27-39. 2003The clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical features of 28 dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP), giant cell fibroblastomas (GCFs), and hybrid lesions occurring in children are presented, including molecular data for seven of them...
- Apolipoprotein D in CD34-positive and CD34-negative cutaneous neoplasms: a useful marker in differentiating superficial acral fibromyxoma from dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansMikhail Lisovsky
Department of Pathology, UMass Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA
Mod Pathol 21:31-8. 2008..D), a 33-kDa glycoprotein component of high-density lipoprotein, has been found to be highly expressed in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans...
- Management of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans with fibrosarcomatous transformation: an evidence-based review of the literatureH Voth
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Center of Integrated Oncology Cologne Bonn, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 25:1385-91. 2011Fibrosarcomatous transformation represents a rare event in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) with unpredictable biological behaviour. No guidelines for the adequate treatment of patients with this rare neoplasm have been published...
- Neoadjuvant imatinib therapy for dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansAnne Han
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Arch Dermatol 145:792-6. 2009b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is an unusual soft-tissue tumor with a propensity for subclinical extension and local recurrence...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in the breast: a case reportAlex K H Tsang
Pathology 37:84-6. 2005
- Childhood dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: role of preoperative imagingSharon Longshore Thornton
Division of Dermatologic Surgery, Department of Dermatology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:76-83. 2005b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is especially challenging to recognize and diagnose in children. Prompt and definitive treatment is essential based on the tumor's high rate of recurrence...
- Revision surgery in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the trunk and extremitiesN J Lindner
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0246, PO Box 100246, USA
Eur J Surg Oncol 25:392-7. 1999b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is a rare condition which is frequently misdiagnosed at presentation, resulting in a high incidence of local recurrence due to inadequate resection...
- Radiotherapy in the treatment of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansRoi Dagan
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 28:537-9. 2005To evaluate the role of postoperative radiotherapy (RT) for patients with dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP).
- Treatment of advanced dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans with imatinib mesylate with or without surgical resectionP Rutkowski
Department of Soft Tissue Bone Sarcoma and Melanoma, Maria Sklodowska Curie Memorial Cancer Centre and Institute of Oncology, Warsaw, Poland
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 25:264-70. 2011b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare soft tissue sarcoma of the skin characterized by the presence of specific COL1A1-PDGFB fusion protein, which appears as a consequence of the t(17;22) (q22;q13) translocation.
- Imaging of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of breastShi Zuo Liu
Department of Radiology, Kuang Tien General Hospital, 117 Shatian Road Shalu, Taichung, Taiwan, China
Breast J 16:541-3. 2010b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare superficial soft tissue malignancy. We report a 45-year-old woman diagnosed with DFSP involving the breast...
- Modified Mohs micrographic surgery in the therapy of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: analysis of 22 patientsJoerg Wacker
Department of Dermatology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Ann Surg Oncol 11:438-44. 2004b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a very rare, low-grade malignant tumor. Local recurrence is frequent after incomplete resection either because of false diagnosis or inadequate standard surgical excision...
- Wide excision or Mohs micrographic surgery for the treatment of primary dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansAri Nareg Meguerditchian
Department of Surgery, McGill University Health Centre, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Clin Oncol 33:300-3. 2010b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a spindle cell tumor with a high local recurrence rate...
- Genomic gains of COL1A1-PDFGB occur in the histologic evolution of giant cell fibroblastoma into dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansRicardo S Macarenco
CIPAX, Medicina Diagnostica, Sao Jose dos Campos SP, Brazil
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 47:260-5. 2008..This same fusion gene is also seen in the supernumerary ring chromosome of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP)...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans of the breastJong Yueh Lin
Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical Center College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Niao Sung Hsiang, Kaohsiung Hsien, Taiwan
Tumori 94:861-3. 2008b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is an uncommon, locally aggressive but rarely metastasizing tumor of the deep dermis and subcutaneous tissue. It may occur at almost any site but is most common in the trunk and extremities...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: recurrence is related to the adequacy of surgical marginsS Ten Heuvel
Department of Surgical Oncology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, P O Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Surg Oncol 36:89-94. 2010The aim of the study was to investigate the results of surgical treatment in primary and recurrent dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP), with respect to local tumor control.
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansWilliam M Mendenhall
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Cancer 101:2503-8. 2004In the current review, the authors set out to discuss the natural history and treatment of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP), a rare indolent cutaneous tumor...
- Deregulation of the platelet-derived growth factor B-chain gene via fusion with collagen gene COL1A1 in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans and giant-cell fibroblastomaM P Simon
Laboratoire de Génétique Chromosomique des Tumeurs, CNRS URA1462, Faculte de Medecine, Nice, France
Nat Genet 15:95-8. 1997b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DP), an infiltrative skin tumour of intermediate malignancy, presents specific features such as reciprocal translocations t(17;22)(q22;q13) and supernumerary ring chromosomes derived from the t(17;22)...
- The dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans-associated collagen type Ialpha1/platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) B-chain fusion gene generates a transforming protein that is processed to functional PDGF-BBA Shimizu
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Uppsala, Sweden
Cancer Res 59:3719-23. 1999b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) displays chromosomal rearrangements involving chromosome 17 and 22, which fuse the collagen type Ialpha1 (COLIA1) gene to the platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) B-chain (PDGFB) gene...
- Gene expression patterns and gene copy number changes in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberansSabine C Linn
Departments of Pathology, Genetics, and Biochemistry, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Am J Pathol 163:2383-95. 2003b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is an aggressive spindle cell neoplasm. It is associated with the chromosomal translocation, t(17:22), which fuses the COL1A1 and PDGFbeta genes...
- Complex t(5;8) involving the CSPG2 and PTK2B genes in a case of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans without the COL1A1-PDGFB fusionLaurence Bianchini
Laboratoire de génétique des tumeurs solides, Faculte de Medecine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, Nice, France
Virchows Arch 452:689-96. 2008b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare, dermal neoplasm of intermediate malignancy. It is made of spindle-shaped tumor cells in a storiform pattern positive for CD34...
- Metastatic Bednar tumor (pigmented dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans) with fibrosarcomatous change: a case reportYoshiyuki Suehara
Dept of Orthopedic Oncology, Tochigi Cancer Center, 4 9 13 Younan, Utsunomiya, Japan
J Orthop Sci 9:662-5. 2004Bednar tumor (pigmented dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans) is a variant of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) that constitutes 5% of all DFSP and has a very low rate of distant metastases...
- Late recurrence of dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in the female breast: a case reportM C Swan
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Radcliffe Infirmary, University of Oxford, Woodstock Road, Oxford OX2 6HE, UK
Br J Plast Surg 58:84-7. 2005..Excision biopsy demonstrated a dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP)...
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a tumour of nestin-positive cutaneous mesenchymal stem cells?K Sellheyer
Department of Dermatology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Br J Dermatol 161:1317-22. 2009..A population of mesenchymal stem cells has recently been identified in the dermal compartment of the skin. These proposed stem cells are positive for the neuroepithelial stem cell marker nestin...
- Imatinib mesylate for children with dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP)Saskia L M Gooskens
Department of Pediatric Oncology Hematology, Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Blood Cancer 55:369-73. 2010b>Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare malignant soft tissue tumor in children...