Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state of insufficient flesh on the body usually defined as having a body weight less than skeletal and physical standards. Depending on age, sex, and genetic background, a BODY MASS INDEX of less than 18.5 is considered as underweight.
Publications263 found, 100 shown here
- Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international surveyTim J Cole
Centre for Paediatric Epidemiology and Biostatistics, UCL Institute of Child Health, London WC1N 1EH
BMJ 335:194. 2007To determine cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents, based on body mass index at age 18 years.
- Extended international (IOTF) body mass index cut-offs for thinness, overweight and obesityT J Cole
MRC Centre of Epidemiology for Child Health, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Pediatr Obes 7:284-94. 2012..IOTF) body mass index (BMI) cut-offs are widely used to assess the prevalence of child overweight, obesity and thinness. Based on data from six countries fitted by the LMS method, they link BMI values at 18 years (16, 17, 18...
- Overweight, obesity, and health-related quality of life among adolescents: the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent HealthKaren C Swallen
Demography and Ecology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
Pediatrics 115:340-7. 2005..We investigated the association between obesity and health-related quality of life in a nationally representative sample of adolescents...
- Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesityKatherine M Flegal
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
JAMA 293:1861-7. 2005..As the prevalence of obesity increases in the United States, concern over the association of body weight with excess mortality has also increased...
- Absence of perilipin results in leanness and reverses obesity in Lepr(db/db) miceJ Martinez-Botas
Departments of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Genet 26:474-9. 2000..Our results demonstrate a role for perilipin in reining in basal HSL activity and regulating lipolysis and energy balance; thus, agents that inactivate perilipin may prove useful as anti-obesity medications...
- Inactivation of the Fto gene protects from obesityJulia Fischer
Institute for Animal Developmental and Molecular Biology, Heinrich Heine University, Universitatsstr 1, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Nature 458:894-8. 2009..Taken together, these experiments provide, to our knowledge, the first direct demonstration that Fto is functionally involved in energy homeostasis by the control of energy expenditure...
- Thinness, overweight and obesity in a national sample of Iranian children and adolescents: CASPIAN StudyR Kelishadi
Preventive Pediatric Cardiology Department, Deputy for Research, Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Centre WHO Collaborating Centre in EMR, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Child Care Health Dev 34:44-54. 2008....
- Cutpoints for low appendicular lean mass that identify older adults with clinically significant weaknessPeggy M Cawthon
California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, 185 Berry Street, Suite 5700, San Francisco, CA 94107 1762
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 69:567-75. 2014....
- Global burden of double malnutrition: has anyone seen it?Daniel J Corsi
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University and Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Canada
PLoS ONE 6:e25120. 2011..Low- to middle-income countries (LMICs) are believed to be characterized by the coexistence of underweight and overweight. It has also been posited that such coexistence is appearing among the low socioeconomic status (SES) groups...
- The prevalence of, and factors associated with, overweight and obesity in BotswanaGobopamang Letamo
Department of Population Studies, University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana
J Biosoc Sci 43:75-84. 2011..Programmes and other interventions aimed at concurrently addressing both under-nutrition and overweight need to be developed...
- Undernutrition among HIV-positive children in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: antiretroviral therapy alone is not enoughBruno F Sunguya
Department of Community and Global Health, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 0033, Japan
BMC Public Health 11:869. 2011....
- Body weight status and obstructive sleep apnea in childrenK T Kang
Department of Otolaryngology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Obes (Lond) 36:920-4. 2012....
- Body mass index in individuals with HIV infection and factors associated with thinness and overweight/obesityCarolline de Araújo Mariz
Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 27:1997-2008. 2011A cross-sectional study was conducted using body mass index (BMI) to estimate the prevalence of thinness and overweight/obesity and associated factors in 2,018 individuals with HIV/AIDS attending health services referral centers...
- Regulation of skeletal muscle mitochondrial fatty acid metabolism in lean and obese individualsGraham P Holloway
Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 89:455S-62S. 2009..These findings imply that obese individuals would benefit from interventions that increase the skeletal muscle mitochondrial content and the potential for oxidizing FAs...
- Body mass index over the adult life course and cognition in late midlife: the Whitehall II Cohort StudySÃ©verine Sabia
INSERM U687 IFR69, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif, France
Am J Clin Nutr 89:601-7. 2009..The extent to which cognition in late midlife is influenced by lifetime obesity is unclear...
- Rise in childhood obesity with persistently high rates of undernutrition among urban school-aged Indo-Asian childrenT H Jafar
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Department of Community Health Sciences and Medicine, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, Karachi, Pakistan
Arch Dis Child 93:373-8. 2008..Evidence for the transition in nutrition in Indo-Asian developing countries is lacking. We conducted these analyses to determine the trends in nutritional status of school-aged children in urban Pakistan...
- Maternal perceptions of their child's weight status: the GENESIS studyYannis Manios
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University of Athens, 70 El Venizelou Avenue, 17671 Kallithea, Athens, Greece
Public Health Nutr 12:1099-105. 2009..The objective of the present work was to quantify mothers' misclassification of pre-school children's weight status and to determine factors associated with the maternal misperception...
- Subcutaneous adipocyte size and body fat distributionYourka D Tchoukalova
Endocrine Research Unit, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 87:56-63. 2008..Both body fat distribution and adipocyte size are associated with metabolic abnormalities...
- Food insecurity is highly prevalent and predicts underweight but not overweight in adults and school children from Bogotá, ColombiaSheila Isanaka
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Nutr 137:2747-55. 2007..The prevalence of food insecurity in Bogotá is high and related to poverty. Food insecurity does not necessarily predict overweight in countries undergoing the nutrition transition...
- Trajectories of growth among children who have coronary events as adultsDavid J P Barker
Developmental Origins of Health and Disease Division, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 353:1802-9. 2005..Low birth weight is a risk factor for coronary heart disease. It is uncertain how postnatal growth affects disease risk...
- Rhythmic diurnal gene expression in human adipose tissue from individuals who are lean, overweight, and type 2 diabeticDaniella T Otway
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, Surrey, UK
Diabetes 60:1577-81. 2011..We have taken the novel approach of analyzing serial human WAT biopsies across a 24-h cycle in controlled laboratory conditions...
- The effect of gestational weight gain by body mass index on maternal and neonatal outcomesJoan M G Crane
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Eastern Health, Memorial University, St John s NL
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 31:28-35. 2009..To evaluate the effects of gestational weight gain on maternal and neonatal outcomes in different body mass index (BMI) classes...
- Nutritional status and long-term mortality in hospitalised patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)Runa Hallin
Department of Medical Sciences, Respiratory Medicine and Allergology, Uppsala University, Akademiska sjukhuset, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Respir Med 101:1954-60. 2007..Further studies are needed in order to show whether identifying and treating weight loss and depletion of fat-free mass (FFM) is a way forward in improving the prognosis for hospitalised COPD patients...
- Prevalence of thinness in children and adolescents in the Seychelles: comparison of two international growth referencesPascal Bovet
Section of Noncommunicable Diseases, Ministry of Health, Victoria, Republic of Seychelles
Nutr J 10:65. 2011b>Thinness in children and adolescents is largely under studied, a contrast with abundant literature on under-nutrition in infants and on overweight in children and adolescents...
- Prevalence of obesity, overweight, and underweight in Qatari adolescentsAbdulbari Bener
Department of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology, Hamad General Hospital, Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha, State of Qatar
Food Nutr Bull 27:39-45. 2006..Excess weight has a great impact on the health and quality of life of individuals. However, prevalence of underweight in the developing world has shown a decline during the last decade...
- The burden of disease from undernutrition and overnutrition in countries undergoing rapid nutrition transition: a view from BrazilCarlos A Monteiro
Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of São Paulo and the Center for Epidemiological Studies in Health and Nutrition, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Public Health 94:433-4. 2004..In 1997, Brazilian low-income women were significantly more susceptible than high-income women to both underweight and obesity...
- Obesity paradox and cardiorespiratory fitness in 12,417 male veterans aged 40 to 70 yearsPaul A McAuley
Department of Human Performance and Sport Sciences, Winston Salem State University, 601 S Martin Luther King Jr Dr, Anderson C 24 E, Winston Salem, NC 27110, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 85:115-21. 2010..To evaluate the influence of cardiorespiratory fitness (fitness) on the obesity paradox in middle-aged men with known or suspected coronary artery disease...
- Elevated circulating plasma adiponectin in underweight patients with COPDKoichi Tomoda
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nara Medical University, 840 Shijo Cho, Kashihara, Nara 634 8522, Japan
Chest 132:135-40. 2007..However, in Japan, patients with COPD are frequently cachexic and die of respiratory failure. This study was designed to investigate the role of adiponectin in these differences in characteristics of COPD...
- Patterns, distribution, and determinants of under- and overnutrition: a population-based study of women in IndiaS V Subramanian
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 84:633-40. 2006..Little systematic evidence exists for the relation between socioeconomic position and nutritional status in countries experiencing the simultaneous presence of under- and overnutrition...
- Do burdens of underweight and overweight coexist among lower socioeconomic groups in India?S V Subramanian
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 90:369-76. 2009..However, less is known about the socioeconomic patterning of underweight and overweight as economies move through the epidemiologic transition...
- Trends of under- and overweight among rural and urban poor women indicate the double burden of malnutrition in BangladeshSohana Shafique
Helen Keller International, Gulshan, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Int J Epidemiol 36:449-57. 2007..This paper explores current trends of under- and overweight in Bangladeshi women...
- Association of schizophrenia with low maternal body mass index, small size at birth, and thinness during childhoodK Wahlbeck
Department of Psychiatry, University of Helsinki, Lappviksvägen, PO Box 320, FIN 00029, Helsinki, Finland
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:48-52. 2001..Nutritional factors in early life may contribute to the neurodevelopmental deficit in schizophrenia. This study explores the influence of maternal body size, size at birth, and childhood growth on future risk for schizophrenia...
- Nationwide shifts in the double burden of overweight and underweight in Vietnamese adults in 2000 and 2005: two national nutrition surveysDo T P Ha
Community Nutrition Department, National Institute of Nutrition, Hanoi, Vietnam
BMC Public Health 11:62. 2011..This study aims to compare the prevalence of overweight and underweight among Vietnamese adults in 2000 and 2005...
- Effect of prepregnancy body mass index categories on obstetrical and neonatal outcomesHaim A Abenhaim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Royal Victoria Hospital, Women s Pavillion, 687 Ave des Pins Ouest, F4 46, Montreal, QC, Canada, PQ H3A 1A1
Arch Gynecol Obstet 275:39-43. 2007..To examine the association between body mass index (BMI) and obstetrical and neonatal outcomes...
- Cause-specific excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesityKatherine M Flegal
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
JAMA 298:2028-37. 2007..The association of body mass index (BMI) with cause-specific mortality has not been reported for the US population...
- Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and thinness among urban school-aged children and adolescents in southern NigeriaHenrietta Ene-Obong
Department of Biochemistry Nutrition Unit, University of Calabar, Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria
Food Nutr Bull 33:242-50. 2012..Yet, there are few data on the magnitude of these problems in Nigeria...
- Prejudice against obesity among 10-year-olds: a nationwide population-based studyLena M Hansson
Child and Adolescent Public Health Epidemiology Group, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Sockholm, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 98:1176-82. 2009..This study examined children's prejudice against various body sizes of both sexes. The effects of sex, body size, place of residence and socio-economic status (SES) on children's prejudice were also investigated...
- Microarray analysis of differential gene expression in the liver of lean and fat chickensEmmanuelle Bourneuf
Unité Mixte de Recherche Génétique Animale, INRA Agrocampus Rennes, IFR140 GFAS, 65 rue de Saint Brieuc, CS 84215, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Gene 372:162-70. 2006..These results indicate that mechanisms involved in the expression and regulation of lipogenic genes could play a key role in fatness ontogenesis in chickens from lean and fat lines...
- Socio-economic factors and prevalence of underweight and overweight among female students in PolandR Pawliñska-Chmara
Department of Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, Opole University, Kominka 4, 45 035 Opole, Poland
Homo 58:309-18. 2007..Moreover, it was noted that 70% of women having normal weight (BMI=18.50-24.99 kg/m2) wanted to have slimmer figure. No correlation was found between prevalence of very low body mass and lifestyle variables...
- Underweight and overweight among children and adolescents in Tuscany (Italy). Prevalence and short-term trendsG Lazzeri
CREPS, Research Centre for Health Promotion and Education, University of Siena, Italy
J Prev Med Hyg 49:13-21. 2008..Therefore, it is necessary to monitor prevalence rates and trends in thinness and overweight (including obesity) among children and adolescents at different levels: international, national ..
- Prevalence of extreme anthropometric measurements in children from Alagoas, Northeastern BrazilHaroldo da Silva Ferreira
Laboratório de Nutrição Básica e Aplicada, Faculdade de Nutrição FANUT, Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceio, AL, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 44:377-80. 2010..Excess of weight-for-height (overweight) was seen in 135 children (9.7%). In conclusion, the prevalences of underweight and wasting are epidemiologically irrelevant and stunting and overweight have a similar prevalence...
- Tailoring treatment to the individual in type 2 diabetes practical guidance from the Global Partnership for Effective Diabetes ManagementS Del Prato
University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Int J Clin Pract 64:295-304. 2010..Practical guidance specific to each group is provided...
- Use of World Health Organization and CDC growth charts for children aged 0-59 months in the United StatesLaurence M Grummer-Strawn
Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 59:1-15. 2010....
- Gender differences in compensatory behaviors, weight and shape salience, and drive for thinnessCharles B Anderson
Department of Psychiatry, CB 7160, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7160, USA
Eat Behav 5:1-11. 2004Gender differences in compensatory behaviors, weight and shape salience, and drive for thinness have rarely been examined in nonclinical samples...
- Relation of serial changes in childhood body-mass index to impaired glucose tolerance in young adulthoodSantosh K Bhargava
Department of Pediatrics, Sunder Lal Jain Hospital, Delhi, India
N Engl J Med 350:865-75. 2004..Understanding the origin of obesity may be especially important in developing countries, where type 2 diabetes is rapidly increasing yet public health messages still focus on reducing childhood "undernutrition."..
- Shifting curves? Trends in thinness and obesity among Australian youth, 1985 to 2010L L Hardy
Physical Activity, Nutrition and Obesity Research Group, University of Sydney, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Pediatr Obes 7:92-100. 2012To describe 25-year trends in the prevalence of ≤Grade 2 thinness and obesity among Australian children by sex, age and socioeconomic (SES) background.
- Trends in body mass index distribution and prevalence of thinness, overweight and obesity in two cohorts of Surinamese South Asian children in The NetherlandsJeroen Alexander de Wilde
Department of Youth Health Care, Municipal Health Service The Hague GGD Den Haag, PO Box 12652, The Hague 2500 DP, The Netherlands
Arch Dis Child 98:280-5. 2013....
- The use of waist-to-stature ratio to identify underweight and overweight in adolescentsKwok Kei Mak
Department of Community Medicine and School Public Health, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Int J Pediatr Obes 5:390-5. 2010....
- Pediatricians' weight assessment and obesity management practicesJeannie S Huang
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
BMC Pediatr 9:19. 2009..Clinician adherence to obesity screening guidelines from United States health agencies remains suboptimal. This study explored how personal and career demographics influence pediatricians' weight assessment and management practices...
- Body mass index and health related quality of life in elementary school children: a pilot studyLei Zhang
Mississippi State Department of Health, Jackson, MS, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 6:77. 2008..We investigated the relationship between Body Mass Index (BMI) and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) indicated by baseline health status in elementary school children...
- Bullying victimization among underweight and overweight U.S. youth: differential associations for boys and girlsJing Wang
Prevention Research Branch, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Adolesc Health 47:99-101. 2010..S. boys and girls in grade 6 through 10. Underweight boys and girls were more likely to be physical and relational victims, respectively. Overweight boys and obese girls were more likely to be verbal victims...
- Prevention of eating disorders in at-risk college-age womenC Barr Taylor
Department of Psychiatry, Stanford University Medical School, Stanford, CA 94305 5722, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:881-8. 2006..Eating disorders, an important health problem among college-age women, may be preventable, given that modifiable risk factors for eating disorders have been identified and interventions have been evaluated to reduce these risk factors...
- Body dissatisfaction and drive for thinness in young adult twinsAnna Keski-Rahkonen
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Eat Disord 37:188-99. 2005We explored correlates of the Eating Disorder Inventory subscales Body Dissatisfaction (BD) and Drive for Thinness (DT) and genetic and environmental influences on these traits.
- Effects of dental caries on nutritional status among first-grade primary school childrenYaowaluk Ngoenwiwatkul
Department of Community Dentistry, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Asia Pac J Public Health 21:177-83. 2009..Our findings stressed that caries has significant implications on overall child health and health personnel should increase awareness of negative impacts and promote healthy nutritional choices for children...
- Joint effects of tobacco use and body mass on all-cause mortality in Mumbai, India: results from a population-based cohort studyMangesh S Pednekar
Healis Sekhsaria Institute for Public Health, Belapur, India
Am J Epidemiol 167:330-40. 2008..Tobacco use and undernutrition are serious problems in India. The current study indicates that obesity may emerge as a serious public health problem with which tobacco use may interact...
- Prevalence and socio-demographic correlates of stunting and thinness among Pakistani primary school childrenMuhammad Umair Mushtaq
Ubeera Memorial Research Society, Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore, 54000 Punjab, Pakistan
BMC Public Health 11:790. 2011..The study aimed to assess the prevalence and socio-demographic correlates of stunting and thinness among Pakistani primary school children.
- Trends in excess weight and thinness among Spanish schoolchildren in the period 1992-2004: the Cuenca studyVicente Martínez-Vizcaíno
Health and Social Research Center, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Santa Teresa Jornet s n, 16071 Cuenca, Spain
Public Health Nutr 12:1015-8. 2009In developed countries, there is abundant information on the epidemic of childhood obesity, but only a few studies on trends in the dual burden of body weight (overweight and thinness).
- Ghrelin/obestatin ratio in two populations with low bodyweight: constitutional thinness and anorexia nervosaNatacha Germain
Service d Endocrinologie de CHU Saint Etienne, France
Psychoneuroendocrinology 34:413-9. 2009Constitutional thinness (CT) and anorexia nervosa (AN) are two categories of severely underweight subjects. Some appetite-regulating hormones display opposite levels in AN and CT...
- Drive for thinness, affect regulation and physical activity in eating disorders: a daily life studyKristof Vansteelandt
Universitair Psychiatrisch Centrum Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuvensesteenweg 517, Kortenberg, Belgium
Behav Res Ther 45:1717-34. 2007Using Ecological Momentary Assessment, the within patient associations between drive for thinness, emotional states, momentary urge to be physically active and physical activity were studied in 32 inpatients with an eating disorder...
- Prevalence and sociodemographic correlates of stunting, underweight, and overweight among Palestinian school adolescents (13-15 years) in two major governorates in the West BankNahed Mikki
Section of Preventive Medicine and Epidemiology, Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 9:485. 2009....
- Obesity as a poverty-related emerging nutrition problems: the case of IndonesiaA A Usfar
Indonesian Danone Institute Foundation, Jakarta, Indonesia
Obes Rev 11:924-8. 2010..Prompt Nutrition Guidelines and the use of lower body mass index cut-off should be considered...
- International BMI-for-age references underestimate thinness and overestimate overweight and obesity in Bolivian adolescentsA Baya Botti
Department of Food Safety and Food Quality, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Nutr Hosp 25:428-36. 2010..In 2007 a study developed references for body mass index for 12th to 18th y Bolivian school adolescent (BAP...
- Associations of morbidity in the underweightS J Kelly
Social Epidemiology Unit, Division of Health Sciences, University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Eur J Clin Nutr 64:475-82. 2010..This project compares the demographic characteristics and morbidity patterns of the underweight with those of acceptable weight and the overweight...
- Energy expenditure adjusted for body composition differentiates constitutional thinness from both normal subjects and anorexia nervosaCecile Bossu
Service d endocrinologie diabète et maladies métaboliques, Hopital Bellevue, CHU Saint Etienne, 42055 Saint Etienne Cedex 02, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E132-7. 2007Constitutional thinness (CT) is characterized by a low and stable body mass index (BMI) without any hormonal abnormality. To understand the weight steadiness, energetic metabolism was evaluated...
- Associations between body mass index and health-related quality of life among Australian adultsAndre Renzaho
Public Health Research, Evaluation and Policy Cluster, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Hwy, Burwood 2125, Vic, Australia
Qual Life Res 19:515-20. 2010..To assess the relationship between body mass index (BMI) and health-related quality of life (HQoL), as measured by the Short Form Health Survey (SF-36) within a sample with broad population coverage...
- The magnitude and trends of under- and over-nutrition in Asian countriesG Ke-You
Institute of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Beijing
Biomed Environ Sci 14:53-60. 2001..They have to deal with both under-nutrition and over-nutrition problems. Among many possible interventions, the further strengthening mass education on healthy diet practice should be emphasized...
- Comparison of the prevalence of shortness, underweight, and overweight among US children aged 0 to 59 months by using the CDC 2000 and the WHO 2006 growth chartsZuguo Mei
Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, CDC, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
J Pediatr 153:622-8. 2008..These comparisons are undertaken with 2 sets of cutoff values...
- Obesity is associated with a decreased leptin transport across the blood-brain barrier in ratsB Burguera
Endocrine Research Unit, University of Minnesota, Austin, USA
Diabetes 49:1219-23. 2000..These findings strongly suggest that the leptin receptor (OB-R) in the BBB can be easily saturated. Saturation of the BBB OB-R in obese individuals would explain the defect in leptin transport into the brain described in this study...
- Is economic growth associated with reduction in child undernutrition in India?Malavika A Subramanyam
Center for Integrative Approaches to Health Disparities, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
PLoS Med 8:e1000424. 2011..Economic growth is widely perceived as a major policy instrument in reducing childhood undernutrition in India. We assessed the association between changes in state per capita income and the risk of undernutrition among children in India...
- A genetic defect in beta-cell gene expression segregates independently from the fa locus in the ZDF ratS C Griffen
Hormone Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Diabetes 50:63-8. 2001..The genetic reduction in beta-cell gene transcription in homozygous animals likely contributes to the development of diabetes in the setting of insulin resistance...
- Socioeconomic and gender differences in adolescents' nutritional status in urban Cameroon, AfricaLéonie N Dapi
Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Epidemiology and Public Health Sciences, Umea University, Umeå SE 90185, Sweden
Nutr Res 29:313-9. 2009..53; P < .05). Adolescents with low and medium SES were more underweight and stunted than adolescents with high SES. Girls were more overweight, less stunted, and underweight than boys...
- Perilipin ablation results in a lean mouse with aberrant adipocyte lipolysis, enhanced leptin production, and resistance to diet-induced obesityJ T Tansey
Laboratory of Cellular and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:6494-9. 2001..The data reveal a major role for perilipin in adipose lipid metabolism and suggest perilipin as a potential target for attacking problems associated with obesity...
- Prevalence of loss-of-function FTO mutations in lean and obese individualsDavid Meyre
CNRS 8090 Institute of Biology, Pasteur Institute, Lille, France
Diabetes 59:311-8. 2010..We aimed to determine whether FTO mutations are disproportionately represented in lean or obese humans and to use these mutations to understand structure-function relationships within FTO...
- Over, under, or about right: misperceptions of body weight among food stamp participantsMichele L Ver Ploeg
Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:2120-5. 2008..The nutrition education component of the Food Stamp Program could increase awareness of healthy body weight among participants...
- Prevalence of overweight and underweight in public and private schools in the SeychellesPascal Bovet
Ministry of Health and Social Development, Section for Non Communicable Diseases, PO Box 52, Victoria, Republic of Seychelles
Int J Pediatr Obes 5:274-8. 2010..We compared the prevalence of body weight categories between public and private schools in the Seychelles, a rapidly developing small island state in the African region...
- Fetal liver-sparing cardiovascular adaptations linked to mother's slimness and dietGuttorm Haugen
Division of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Circ Res 96:12-4. 2005..Consequences of such "liver-sparing" may underlie the increased cardiovascular risk of people whose mothers were slimmer and had lower body fat stores in pregnancy...
- Longitudinal assessment of maternal endothelial function and markers of inflammation and placental function throughout pregnancy in lean and obese mothersFrances M Stewart
Reproductive and Maternal Medicine, Division of Developmental Medicine, University of Glasgow, Royal Infirmary Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:969-75. 2007..Obesity in pregnancy is increasing and is a risk factor for metabolic pathology such as preeclampsia. In the nonpregnant, obesity is associated with dyslipidemia, vascular dysfunction, and low-grade chronic inflammation...
- A community study of psychosocial functioning and weight in young children and adolescentsMarjan Drukker
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, South Limburg Mental Health Research and Teaching Network, EURON, Maastricht University Medical Centre, PO Box 616, Maastricht 6200 MD, The Netherlands
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:91-7. 2009..The present study investigated the relationship between weight status and psychosocial dysfunctioning in children of two different age groups (5-6 and 13-14 years)...
- Elevated stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 expression in skeletal muscle contributes to abnormal fatty acid partitioning in obese humansMatthew W Hulver
Pennington Biomedical Research, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
Cell Metab 2:251-61. 2005..These results suggest that elevated expression of SCD1 in skeletal muscle contributes to abnormal lipid metabolism and progression of obesity...
- Obesity, overweight and thinness in schoolchildren of the city of Florianópolis, Southern BrazilM A A de Assis
Department of Nutrition, Santa Catarina Federal University, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:1015-21. 2005To assess the prevalence of obesity, overweight (including obesity) and thinness in children of the city of Florianopolis (southern Brazil).
- Overcoming the unhealthy pursuit of thinness: reaction to the Québec Charter for a Healthy and Diverse Body ImageLise Gauvin
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Universite de Montreal, and the Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Public Health 102:1600-6. 2012..The Charter, developed through consensus building by a multisectoral, government-led task force, outlined actions to be undertaken by organizations or citizens to reduce media pressures favoring thinness.
- Health inequalities among urban children in India: a comparative assessment of Empowered Action Group (EAG) and South Indian statesP Arokiasamy
International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai, India
J Biosoc Sci 45:167-85. 2013....
- Anemia and growth failure among HIV-infected children in India: a retrospective analysisAnita Shet
Department of Pediatrics, St John s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore, India
BMC Pediatr 9:37. 2009..Anemia and poor nutrition have been previously described as independent risk factors for death among HIV-infected children. We sought to describe nutritional status, anemia burden and HIV disease correlates among infected children in India...
- Comparison of hypopnea definitions in lean patients with known obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS)C Guilleminault
Sleep Medicine Clinic, Stanford University, CA, USA
Sleep Breath 13:341-7. 2009..We sought to determine whether these changes would affect detection and treatment of OSAHS in lean patients-a group known to desaturate less-than-obese patients...
- Plasma levels of soluble tumor necrosis factor-alpha receptors are related to total and LDL-cholesterol in lean, but not in obese subjectsMarek Straczkowski
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Internal Medicine, Medical University of Bialystok, M, C, Sklodowskiej 24a, 15 276 Bialystok, Poland
Cardiovasc Diabetol 5:14. 2006..TNFalpha is also a regulator of lipid metabolism, however, data about impact of obesity on the relationships between TNFalpha and plasma lipids remain controversial...
- Self-report and startle-based measures of emotional reactions to body image cues as predictors of Drive for Thinness and Body Dissatisfaction in female college studentsCarrie D Spresser
Department of Psychology, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Body Image 9:298-301. 2012..Response to the photos was assessed by self-report and the affect modulated startle paradigm. EDI-3 Drive for Thinness (DT) and Body Dissatisfaction (BD) scale scores were correlated with startled amplitude for the largest simulated ..
- Exploring a model linking social physique anxiety, drive for muscularity, drive for thinness and self-esteem among adolescent boys and girlsJennifer Brunet
Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1S4, Canada
Body Image 7:137-42. 2010..influences social physique anxiety (SPA), which in turn influences drive for muscularity and drive for thinness in a sample of adolescents (N=329; 58% boys)...
- [The overweight and underweight girl: from findings to prevention]A S Wolf
Gynäkologische Praxisklinik, Ulm, Germany
Zentralbl Gynakol 124:146-52. 2002..A simple finding like weight, has thus an important predictive quality for later illnesses and their prevention...
- Body mass index and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-related mortality: a nationally representative prospective study of 220,000 men in ChinaLing Yang
Clinical Trial Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit CTSU, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Int J Epidemiol 39:1027-36. 2010..Substantial uncertainty remains about the relationship in populations with lower mean BMI levels, and about the relevance to it of the effects of smoking or of reverse causality...
- Descriptive epidemiology of body mass index of an urban adult population in western IndiaH C Shukla
Biomedical Sciences, University of Westminster, London, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 56:876-80. 2002..index (BMI) of the adult urban population in Mumbai, western India and to estimate the prevalence and severity of thinness and overweight in this population...
- Changes in the prevalence of overweight, obesity and thinness in Algerian children between 2001 and 2006Hayet Oulamara
Nutrition and Food Technology Laboratory, INATAA, Mentouri University, Constantine, Algeria
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:411-3. 2009..to the International Obesity Task Force (IOTF) criteria for overweight and obesity and Cole's criteria for thinness. A total of 19 263 children aged 6 to 10 years originating from three economically different areas were enrolled ..
- Mice overexpressing human uncoupling protein-3 in skeletal muscle are hyperphagic and leanJ C Clapham
Department of Vascular Biology, SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, Harlow, Essex, UK
Nature 406:415-8. 2000..This provides evidence that skeletal muscle UCP-3 has the potential to influence metabolic rate and glucose homeostasis in the whole animal...
- Prevalence of underweight, overweight and obesity in urban Hanoi, VietnamHelen L Walls
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, VIC 3004, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 18:234-9. 2009..While low body weight remains a concern, overweight and obesity are an increasing problem for urban Vietnamese adults...
- Is there a correlation between dental caries and body mass index-for-age among adolescents in Iran?M Sadeghi
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Dental School, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran
Community Dent Health 28:174-7. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the association between age-and gender-specific body mass index (BMI-for-age) and dental caries among adolescents aged 12 -15 years in Rafsanjan, Iran...
- The prevalence of stunting is high in HIV-1-exposed uninfected infants in KenyaChristine J McGrath
Departments of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Nutr 142:757-63. 2012..Because BF is the best option for HIV-1-infected mothers in resource-limited settings, nutritional interventions should be examined for their impact on growth in EU breast-fed infants...
- Heart rate and systolic blood pressure variability: the impact of thinness and aging in human male subjectsM Vaz
Division of Nutrition and Department of Physiology, St John s Medical College, Bangalore 560034, India
J Nutr Health Aging 9:341-5. 2005Life spans are steadily increasing in developing countries where 'thinness' is widely prevalent. However, the interaction of aging and thinness has been poorly studied in terms of its physiological consequences.
- The prevalence of underweight in 9-10-year-old schoolchildren in Liverpool: 1998-2006Lynne M Boddy
Research into Activity and Children s Health Group, Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Henry Cotton Campus, Liverpool, UK
Public Health Nutr 12:953-6. 2009..To estimate the prevalence of underweight between 1998 and 2006 in Liverpool schoolchildren aged 9-10 years using recently published underweight cut-off points...
- Low physical activity is a predictor of thinness and low self-rated health: gender differences in a Swedish cohortLiselotte Schäfer Elinder
Division of Intervention and Implementation Research, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Adolesc Health 48:481-6. 2011..To examine the relationship between leisure time physical activity in 15-year-old students, and weight status and self-rated health 3 years later...
- Age at menarche and digit ratio (2D:4D): relationships with body dissatisfaction, drive for thinness, and bulimia symptoms in womenKirsten A Oinonen
Health, Hormones, and Behaviour Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Lakehead University, Canada
Body Image 9:302-6. 2012..AAM) and 2D:4D (a marker of prenatal androgen exposure), and EDI-2-Body Dissatisfaction, EDI-2-Drive for Thinness, and EDI-2-Bulimia scores, were examined in women using correlations and regressions...
- Geography of underweight and overweight among women in India: a multilevel analysis of 3204 neighborhoods in 26 statesLeland K Ackerson
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, KRESGE 7th Floor, Boston, MA 02115 6096, USA
Econ Hum Biol 6:264-80. 2008..These findings suggest that interventions to address the double burden of undernutrition and overnutrition in India must take into account state and neighborhood characteristics in order to be successful...
- Weight management in transitional economies: the " double burden of disease" dilemmaWidjaja Lukito
Director of Asia Pacific Health and Nutrition Centre, Monash Asia Institute, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:21-9. 2006..The pluralistic approaches to health required are likely to build on more effective lifestyle, behavioural and pharmacotherapeutic strategies to weight management, and do so at all ages, from conception to later life...
- Growth and Cardiometabolic Risk Among In Utero Drug Exposed ChildrenSARAH ELIZABETH MESSIAH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Findings from this investigation should inform both the fields of substance use and cardiovascular research about subsequent risks of cocaine ingestion during pregnancy in offspring. ..
- Effect of a sanitation &nutrition intervention on HIV-exposed infant healthJEAN HAWES HUMPHREY; Fiscal Year: 2012..This study will test provision of a nutrition, sanitation, and hygiene intervention as an approach to minimize HIV-exposure while also promoting growth and health in young children born to HIV-positive mothers in developing countries. ..
- Brain Reward Circuits and Computational Modeling in Adolescent Anorexia NervosaGUIDO KW FRANK; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will analyze those neurosteroid hormones in saliva and test their affect on brain reward function in adolescent AN. ..
- Birth Outcomes Among AdolescentsEMILY WHEELER HARVILLE; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Supplemental Parenteral Nutrition to Reduce Death in Malnourished ICU PatientsPaul E Wischmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Individual differences and health outcomes: A secondary data analysis in cognitivALEXANDER BEAUJEAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..These causal models, in turn, can then be used to develop appropriate health interventions across the lifespan. ..
- Neural Mechanisms of Risky Sexual Decision-Making in METH and non-METH Using MSMStephen J Read; Fiscal Year: 2013..H4: METH use will increase risky sexual decision-making and impact each of the three components of the decision-making circuitry. ..
- Malnutrition and socioeconomic status of South African childrenCAROLYN SUSAN ARDINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..effects? Does the gender of the recipient affect the impact of pension? Are there are differential effects for male and female children? Does pension income have a greater impact on children living in poorer households? ..
- Asha Improving Health and Nutrition of Indian Women with AIDS and Their ChildrenSanjeev Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based upon reviewers'comments, among index children, we streamlined our assessments to include anthropometric parameters and psychomotor development;and among those HIV positive, immune status. ..
- The Effects of Neonatal Intensive Care Deregionalization on Treatment and InfantSETH FREEDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding these effects is necessary to fully evaluate the public health consequences of the increased availability of this type of care. ..
- Documenting and Measuring young adolescent boys perception of weightANNMARIE LYLES; Fiscal Year: 2012..It will be available to researchers and professionals to screen and target young adolescent boys for appropriate targeted interventions to attain and maintain healthy weight. ..
- Translating Dietary Trials into the CommunityAlain Bertoni; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research project seeks to promote the adoption of the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) eating pattern by African American adults with hypertension or prehypertension living in a lower- income minority community. ..
- Body Dissatisfaction and Disordered EatingEllen E Fitzsimmons-Craft; Fiscal Year: 2013..Constructs assessed will include: pressure for thinness, thin ideal internalization, social comparison, body surveillance (the indicator of objectification), BD, and ..
- Food Rheology and Exercise in Aging HumansWAYNE CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Silicone Coatings for Biostable Chronic Neural ProsthesesHILTON G PRYCE LEWIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..iCVD has the benefits of thinness, conformality (conforms very well to complex shapes) and high purity...
- Strategies to Improve COPD ManagementRichard Casaburi; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies should have immediate impact on treatment strategies for large poor-prognosis subgroups of COPD patients. ..
- EATING DISORDERS--ASSESSMENT OF WOMEN RUNNERS/NONRUNNERSPatricia Estok; Fiscal Year: 1992DESCRIPTION (Investigator's Abstract): The media portrayal of the ideal body shape is one of thinness. Such an image has promoted an excessive emphasis on control of body weight which may result in eating disorders, inadequate nutritional ..
- Bulimic Syndromes: Secular & Longitudinal TrendsPamela Keel; Fiscal Year: 2005..Drive for Thinness, Maturity Fears, Perfectionism, and Interpersonal Distrust); and BN symptoms...
- Periodontal Disease and PrematurityAnanda Dasanayake; Fiscal Year: 2006..The collective expertise of the investigative team and the excellent clinical and research facilities are additional strengths. ..
- Ensuring Medication Safety in Pediatric EmergenciesMary Denise Dowd; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaAllan Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2005..The other results were obtained by incorporating two covariates, drive-for-thinness from the Eating Disorders lnventory-2 and the total score from the Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale, into ..
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaBernie Devlin; Fiscal Year: 2006..The other results were obtained by incorporating two covariates, drive-for-thinness from the Eating Disorders lnventory-2 and the total score from the Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale, into ..
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaCraig Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..The other results were obtained by incorporating two covariates, drive-for-thinness from the Eating Disorders lnventory-2 and the total score from the Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale, into ..
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaHarry Brandt; Fiscal Year: 2005
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaWade Berrettini; Fiscal Year: 2005
- The Genetics of Anorexia NervosaKatherine Halmi; Fiscal Year: 2005
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaJames Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2005
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaIan Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaMichael Strober; Fiscal Year: 2005
- Genetics of Anorexia NervosaWalter Kaye; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Silicone Coatings for Biostable Chronic Neural ProsthesesHILTON PRYCE LEWIS; Fiscal Year: 2007..iCVD has the benefits of thinness, conformality (conforms very well to complex shapes) and high purity...
- BIOBEHAVIORAL FACTORS INFLUENCING WEIGHT IN ADOLESCENTSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 1990..focus on teaching normal growth and development, energy balance, learning to identify and resist sociocultural influences on excessive weight loss and thinness and how to develop regular exercise habits and healthy nutrition practices.
- Weight Maintenance among Youth and Middle-Aged WomenAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- BEHAVIORAL TREATMENT OF WEIGHT GAIN IN CFLori Stark; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- ACTUARIAL STRATEGIES IN CHILD DIAGNOSTIC ASSESSMENTBruce Chorpita; Fiscal Year: 2001..If the data are supportive, these developments have the potential to significantly advance the manner in which future diagnostic interviews are conducted with mental health populations. ..
- Atypical Antipsychotic Medication in Anorexia NervosaEvelyn Attia; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- BMI, Nutrition, Inflammation and Heart Failure OutcomesTerry Lennie; Fiscal Year: 2007..An understanding of the underlying mechanisms may also allow application of these findings to underweight patients resulting in improved outcomes for these patients. ..
- GUSTATORY REWARD AND DOPAMINE IN THE NUCLEUS ACCUMBENSAndras Hajnal; Fiscal Year: 2003..This knowledge is directly relevant to understanding the control of normal ingestive behavior and to the maladies related to this essential behavior, such as obesity, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorder. ..
- VITAMIN A/ZINC - PREVENTION OF PNEUMONIA (VAZPOP) STUDYJeffrey Griffiths; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, they will use rigorous definitions of ALRI/pneumoma to avoid misclassification and ascertainment bias, which may have affected prior studies. ..
- Coatings for Biostable Chronic Neural ProsthesesHILTON PRYCE LEWIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..for the needs of future neuroprosthetic devices, in particular with respect to material stability, integrity and thinness. Beginning with cochlear implants nearly 30 years ago and, more recently, the introduction of brain pacemakers ..
- Coatings for Biostable Chronic Neural ProsthesesHILTON PRYCE LEWIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..for the needs of future neuroprosthetic devices, in particular with respect to material stability, integrity and thinness. The specific aims of this project are to develop several grades fluorosilicone co-polymer coating, create ..
- PHYSICAL BASES OF FACIAL PROFILE PREFERENCEDonald Giddon; Fiscal Year: 1993..for use by clinicians now relying on intuition or anthropometric norms, particularly for persons with craniofacial deformities, as well as for women tyrannized by media-promulgated "standards" of youth, thinness and attractiveness.
- FLUOXETINE AFTER WEIGHT RESTORATION IN ANOREXIA NERVOSAB Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2004..Outcome will be assessed on the basis of maintenance of weight and reduction in psychopathological symptoms characteristic of AN. ..
- Effects of Overfeeding on OP and OR WomenDaniel Bessesen; Fiscal Year: 2007..some individuals are able to resist environmental pressure towards weight gain, maintaining a chronic state of thinness. The central thesis of this proposal is that understanding the responses (metabolic, energetic, and behavioral) ..
- FLUOXETINE AFTER WEIGHT RESTORATION IN ANOREXIA NERVOSAAllan Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2003..Outcome will be assessed on the basis of maintenance of weight and reduction in psychopathological symptoms characteristic of AN. ..
- Undernutrition in Community Dwelling Older AdultsCarolyn Martin; Fiscal Year: 2005..The goal is to assist health care professionals to know when and how to intervene to arrest undernutrition. ..
- ALVEOLAR LINING LAYER IN THE LUNGJacob Bastacky; Fiscal Year: 1992The liquid layer lining the alveoli in the lung has been difficult to study because of its thinness, inaccessibility, and high water content...
- Programming of gene expression during fetal lifeS Ozanne; Fiscal Year: 2005..The objective will be to determine the effect of maternal thinness and nutrition on protein expression in the placenta and to assess the value of defining these changes in ..
- FINE LOCALIZATION OF GENES FOR HUMAN OBESITYR Price; Fiscal Year: 2004..They have developed a cohort of families having both extreme obesity and thinness, and they have used this sample to examine candidate genes and regions, and, more recently, in a genome scan ..
- Predictors of Weight and Quality of Life: A 12-Year National Longitudinal StudyDavid Feeny; Fiscal Year: 2009..Little is known about the patterns of change in physical activity, weight, and health- related quality of life over time. Findings from this study will identify modifiable risk factors for obesity and overweight. ..
- Hepcidin and the pathogenesis of anemia in older adults.Richard D Semba; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study should provide new insight into the epidemiology and biological mechanisms of anemia among older adults and help identify strategies aimed at the prevention and treatment of anemia. ..
- ADJUNCT VITAMIN A THERAPY FOR TUBERCULOSIS AND HIV/AIDSRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- MICRONUTRIENTS AND MOTHER TO CHILD TRANSMISSION OF HIVRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2001..The relationship between mastitis and breastmilk HIV load and the epidemiology and microbiology of mastitis will be examined in a new cohort of HIV-infected lactating women. ..
- Oxidative Stress and the Pathogenesis of Sarcopenia and Disability in Older WomenRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2008..AGEs are a potentially modifiable risk factor, as circulating AGEs can be lowered by dietary modification and by pharmacological intervention. ..
- VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENTATION FOR HIV INFECTED CHILDRENRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Iron Deficiency and Anemia in HIV and HCV-Infected WomenRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. and elsewhere. ..
- Integrity of the Pulmonary Blood-Gas BarrierJohn West; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, at the more basic level, this research is devoted to a fundamental biological dilemma of the lung, namely how the blood-gas barrier combines extreme thinness with immense strength. [unreadable] [unreadable]
- The Role of Peer Relations on Youth Eating and Choices of ActivitiesSarah Jeanne Salvy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings from this study may improve understanding of barriers to weight loss in overweight youths and past non-adherence to health recommendations. ..
- Peer Influence on Eating Behavior in Overweight and Normal Weight YouthsSarah Jeanne Salvy; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study is designed to understand differences in responses to the social and food environment between overweight and non overweight youths. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Risk and Maintenance Factors for Bulimic PathologyEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Nutritional Effects on Insulin Signaling and ActionMarc Andre Cornier; Fiscal Year: 2008..Unraveling the mechanism of insulin resistance would have an enormous impact on the field of diabetes, obesity and metabolic syndrome. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Depression Prevention Program for High-Risk AdolescentsEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2008..Thus, the proposed project should provide a rigorous evaluation of this promising brief prevention program and should advance knowledge regarding the prevention of this pernicious psychiatric problem. [unreadable] [unreadable]..