Summary: The black, tarry, foul-smelling FECES that contain degraded blood.
Publications242 found, 100 shown here
- A prospective two-center study comparing wireless capsule endoscopy with intraoperative enteroscopy in patients with obscure GI bleedingDirk Hartmann
Department of Gastroenterology, Academic Teaching Hospital, Ludwigshafen, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 61:826-32. 2005..However, sensitivity and specificity of capsule endoscopy have not been adequately defined. We, therefore, compared capsule endoscopy by using intraoperative enteroscopy as a criterion standard in patients with obscure GI bleeding...
- Extramedullary relapse of multiple myeloma presenting as hematemesis and melenaMark A Dawson
Department of Haematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Prahran, Melbourne, Victoria 3181, Australia
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 3:223-6; quiz 227. 2006..She presented with hematemesis and melena following salvage chemotherapy with dexamethasone, cyclophosphamide, etoposide, cisplatin, and rescue therapy with ..
- Melena: a rare complication of duodenal metastases from primary carcinoma of the lungChrysoula Kostakou
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital of Larissa 41447, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 13:1282-5. 2007..We describe a case of a 61- year old patient with primary adenocarcinoma of the lung, presenting with melena as the first manifestation of small bowel metastasis...
- Massive melena caused by a carcinoid of the small intestine: report of a caseMinoru Fujisawa
Department of General Surgery, Juntendo University Nerima Hospital, 3 1 10 Takanodai, Nerima ku, Tokyo 177 8521, Japan
Surg Today 37:1000-3. 2007We report a case of massive melena caused by a carcinoid of the small intestine. A 28-year-old woman was admitted to our department after presenting with massive melena...
- Glutamine depletion induces murine neonatal melena with increased apoptosis of the intestinal epitheliumTakayuki Motoki
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Transplant, and Surgical Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, 2 5 1, Shikata cho, Okayama, 700 8558, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 17:717-26. 2011..To investigate the possible biological outcome and effect of glutamine depletion in neonatal mice and rodent intestinal epithelial cells...
- Management of haematemesis and melaenaK Palmer
Department of Gastroenterology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Postgrad Med J 80:399-404. 2004..Intravenous omeprazole reduces the risk of re-bleeding in ulcer patients undergoing endoscopic therapy. Repeat endoscopic therapy or operative surgery are required if bleeding recurs...
- Two cases of colonic tuberculosis presenting with massive melenaT Namisaki
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Nara Medical University, Nara, Japan
Int J Clin Pract 58:1162-4. 2004The clinical symptoms of colonic tuberculosis are variable, among which massive melena is extremely rare...
- Time trends and impact of upper and lower gastrointestinal bleeding and perforation in clinical practiceAngel Lanas
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Clinico, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Am J Gastroenterol 104:1633-41. 2009....
- Nasogastric aspiration and lavage in emergency department patients with hematochezia or melena without hematemesisNicholas Palamidessi
Department of Emergency Medicine, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
Acad Emerg Med 17:126-32. 2010The utility of nasogastric aspiration and lavage in the emergency management of patients with melena or hematochezia without hematemesis is controversial...
- Primary malignant melanoma of the oesophagus presenting with massive melena and hypovolemic shockChih Yuan Lin
Departments of Surgery and Medicine, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defence Medical Centre, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
ANZ J Surg 72:62-4. 2002
- Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia of the jejunum: an unusual cause of melenaSarra Mestiri
AP HP, Henri Mondor Hospital, Department of Pathology, Paris X University, France
Int J Surg Pathol 15:192-5. 2007..The patient was referred to the hospital with a 1-week history of melena. The lesion did not recur after surgery...
- Gastrointestinal hemorrhage due to complicated gastroduodenal ulcer disease in liver transplant patients taking sirolimusAlastair D Smith
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Clin Transplant 19:250-4. 2005....
- Bleeding stromal tumor in Meckel's diverticulumJ M A Biemans
Department of Radiology, Stichting Sint Antoniusziekenhuis, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
JBR-BTR 88:112-3. 2005
- Gastric epithelioid haemangioendothelioma: a rare cause of upper gastrointestinal bleedingP Sanjay
Department of General Surgery, Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Llantrisant, South Wales CF72 8XR, UK
Postgrad Med J 81:e7. 2005..This case highlights the difficulty in diagnosing this rare tumour preoperatively and emphasises the need for long term follow up in view of its uncertain metastatic potential...
- Localization of upper GI bleed on delayed imaging with 99mTc tagged RBC angiogramM U Zaman
Nuclear Medicine Section, Department of Radiology, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 54:490-1. 2004
- Stress-related gastric bleeding after rhinoplastyYener Demirtas
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:1669-70. 2004
- Symptomatic gastric leiomyoma mimicking giant gastric polyp: endoscopic diagnosis and removalG Brandimarte
Department of Internal Medicine, Cristo Re Hospital Rome Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 8:107-10. 2004..A 67-years-old patient was admitted to our attention due to two episodes of hematemesis and melena occurred in the previous two days...
- Life-threatening hemorrhage from enterotomies and anastomoses in 7 horsesAimie J Doyle
University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine, 1008 W Hazelwood Drive, Urbana, IL, USA
Vet Surg 32:553-8. 2003..To report our experience with horses that presumptively had severe intraluminal hemorrhage from enterotomy or anastomosis...
- The role of capsule endoscopy in the work-up of obscure gastrointestinal bleedingAntonio Magnano
Digestive Endoscopy Service, Vittorio Emanuele Hospital, Catania, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:403-6. 2004..To evaluate the role of capsule endoscopy in the detection of causes of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding...
- Jejunal leiomyosarcoma, a rare cause of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding diagnosed by wireless capsule endoscopyD Martínez-Ares
Department of Gastroenterology, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario Juan Canalejo, A Coruna, Galicia, Spain
Surg Endosc 18:554-6. 2004..Wireless capsule endoscopy has proved to be far superior to other radiologic and endoscopic techniques for the diagnosis of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding and pathologies of the small intestine in general...
- Reperfusion of splanchnic artery aneurysm following transcatheter embolization: treatment with percutaneous thrombin injectionRaymond P Chan
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Medical Imaging, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, 30 Bond St, M5B 1W8, Toronto, ON, Canada
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 27:264-7. 2004..The lesion was successfully treated by direct puncture of the aneurysm under computed tomographic guidance, followed by injection of thrombin. This technique is useful when an endovascular approach is not feasible...
- [Diagnostic image (190). A man with melaena. Enteral varices due to portal hypertension]G J Wanten
Universitair Medisch Centrum St Radboud, afd Maag, Darm en Leverziekten, Geert Grooteplein Zuid 8, 6525 GA Nijmegen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:1034. 2004..A 58-year-old man was seen because of anaemia and melaena, due to bleeding from colonic varices resulting from thrombosis of the V. portae hepatis and the V. lienalis...
- Recurrent hemorrhagic shock from solitary jejunal diverticulumMarco Gismant
Institute of Internal Medicine, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart A Gemelli, Rome, Italy
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1069-72. 2004We report the case of recurrent hemorrhagic shock manifested by massive melena and hematemesis in a 67-year-old patient, previously operated in another hospital for an abdominal aortic aneurysm two weeks before...
- An initial experience: using helical CT imaging to detect obscure gastrointestinal bleedingFrank H Miller
Department of Radiology, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Medical School, 676 North St Clair Street, Suite 800, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Clin Imaging 28:245-51. 2004..Our preliminary study shows that helical CT was able to identify a wide variety of causes of obscure GI bleeding...
- Myocardial infarction following recombinant activated factor VII in a patient with type 2A von Willebrand diseaseIgor Novitzky Basso
Oxford Haemophilia Centre, Thrombosis Unit, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 15:503-4. 2004..As the patient has risk factors for atherosclerotic disease, we presume the recombinant activated factor VII promoted coagulation at a pre-existing atherosclerotic lesion...
- Clinical profile of dengue hemorrhagic fever cases in MexicoJoel Navarrete-Espinosa
Coordinación de los Programas Integrados de Salud Unidad de Salud Pública, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social
Salud Publica Mex 47:193-200. 2005..Dengue hemorrhagic fever is a public health problem in Mexico since 1994. With four serotypes circulating the risk of epidemic dengue hemorrhagic fever is increasing...
- Prevalence of polyps greater than 9 mm in a consortium of diverse clinical practice settings in the United StatesDavid A Lieberman
Division of Gastroenterology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland VA Medical Center, Oregon 97239, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:798-805. 2005....
- [Late metastases of cutaneous malignant melanoma on the abdominal wall to the small and large bowel]Gábor Füredi
Fejér Megyei Szent György Kórház Sebészeti Osztály
Magy Seb 58:241-4. 2005..Five years later he presented with complaints of epigastric pain, melena, hematochezia, anorexia and fatigue...
- Hookworm infection presenting as overt gastrointestinal bleeding: lessons from double-balloon enteroscopy in the tropicsDas Kshaunish
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1310-1. 2008
- [Portal vein hypertension during azathioprine therapy in patients with Crohn's disease--a frequent phenomenon?]L Ehmsen
Medizinische Klinik I, Stadtklinik Baden Baden, Klinikum Mittelbaden, Balgerstr 50, 76532 Baden Baden
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:950-3. 2008..A 45-year-old man with 18 years history of Crohn's disease who was on treatment with azathioprine (AZA) for the past 48 months was admitted because of haematemesis and melaena...
- [Gastric plasmacytoma as an uncommon cause of upper gastrointestinal bleeding]Miren Vicuña Arregui
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital de Navarra, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
Gastroenterol Hepatol 31:217-20. 2008..We describe the case of a male patient who underwent investigations for upper gastrointestinal bleeding and iron deficiency anemia. The final diagnosis was multiple myeloma associated with gastric plasmacytoma...
- [Nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Treatment options. What do I do? The internist]Raúl Fernando Olaeta-Elizalde
Presidente del Consejo Mexicano de Gastroenterologia, Mexico, D F
Rev Gastroenterol Mex 72:51-3. 2007
- Clinical challenges and images in GI. Meckel's diverticulumLieke Hol
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 133:392, 732. 2007
- Large Brunneroma presenting with bleedingGajanan D Wagholikar
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, and Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow
Indian J Gastroenterol 21:201-2. 2002..Brunner's gland adenoma (Brunneroma) is a rare entity. We report a patient who presented with severe anemia due to bleed from a large Brunneroma arising from the duodenal bulb, and was managed successfully by surgical excision of the tumor...
- Bleeding Meckel diverticulum responds to intravenous pantoprazoleAhmed Dahshan
South Med J 100:334. 2007
- Operative management of symptomatic duodenal diverticulaKellie L Mathis
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Surg 193:305-8; discussion 308-9. 2007..Duodenal diverticula are common but rarely cause symptoms that require operative intervention...
- [Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in neonates--experience of pediatric gastroenterology unit]Sonia Mazigh M'rad
Service de Médecine Infantile C, Hopital d Enfants de Tunis
Tunis Med 84:607-10. 2006..The aim of our study was to assess the frequency of the different lesions occurring as well as to precise indications of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in neonates...
- Thalidomide as treatment for digestive tract angiodysplasiasJ Heidt
Department of Internal Medicine, MCH Antoniushove, PO Box 411, 2260 AK Leidschendam, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 64:425-8. 2006..Monotherapy with thalidomide improves the clinical picture but may not be sufficient in the long term. Additional therapy, such as argon plasma coagulation or the use of the novel drug lenalidomide, might be necessary...
- An unusual cause of gastrointestinal bleeding in a young girlEmiliano Antiga
Department of Dermatological Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
CMAJ 175:583. 2006
- GI stromal tumor diagnosed by capsule endoscopy in a patient with neurofibromatosis type 1Sung Woo Jung
Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University Anam Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 64:127-8; discussion 128. 2006
- Splenic infarction: an unusual complication of ethanolamine oleate injectionA Bar-Gil Shitrit
Dept of Gastroenterology, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Endoscopy 38:432. 2006
- Stromal tumors of the small bowel causing unexplained melena: report of two casesL Basso
Department of Surgery Pietro Valdoni, University of Rome La Sapienza Medical School, Policlinico Umberto I, Rome, Italy
Am Surg 72:79-82. 2006..Gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs) of the small bowel are relatively rare and, therefore, both difficult to diagnose and treat. The authors present two cases of such tumors and review the various options for diagnosis and treatment...
- Cytomegalovirus-induced small-bowel hemorrhage in a patient with nonsystemic vasculitic neuropathyToshiro Sugimoto
Department of Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta, Shiga, 520 2192, Japan
Clin Rheumatol 25:575-6. 2006..Cytomegalovirus infection should be considered in the differential diagnosis of gastrointestinal diseases in patients with collagen vascular diseases receiving immunosuppressive agents...
- Rodeo endoscopyLarry D Scott
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:2611. 2005
- [Esophagus actinomycosis causing upper gastrointestinal bleeding]N Fernández Moreno
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 97:533-4. 2005
- Wandering spleen presenting as bleeding gastric varicesV Singla
Department of Radiodiagnosis, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160012, India
Am J Emerg Med 26:637.e1-4. 2008..Preoperative diagnosis was made on the basis of ultrasonography, endoscopy, and computed tomography, which was later proved on surgery and treated successfully...
- Metastatic seminoma presenting with pulmonary embolus, inferior vena caval thrombosis, and gastrointestinal bleedingJeffrey A Leslie
Division of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Urology 62:144. 2003..In this case report, we present an unusual patient with invasion of the duodenum from germ cell cancer and discuss the management of this challenging scenario...
- Massive bleeding from an arteriovenous malformation in the gastric fundus following gastric biopsy treated by embolisationA S Ibrahim
Department of Medicine, Hamad General Hospital, PO Box 3050, Doha, Qatar
Int J Clin Pract 57:354-5. 2003..Repeat gastroduodenoscopy failed to identify the source. Angiography identified bleeding from an arteriovenous malformation at the fundus of the stomach. This was controlled by embolisation...
- Acute lower gastroenteric bleeding retrospective analysis (the ALGEBRA study): an analysis of the triage, management and outcomes of patients with acute lower gastrointestinal bleedingMatthew R Brackman
Department of Surgery, Division of Colorectal Surgery, Washington Hospital Center, Medlantic Research Institute, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Am Surg 69:145-9. 2003..Patients with ALGIH were entered into a database. We defined patients as having ALGIH if presentation included melena or hematochezia. Patients with hematemesis, bloody nasogastric aspirate, or occult fecal blood were excluded...
- Gastrointestinal bleeds associated with rofecoxibPamela A Foral
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Creighton University School of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, and Alegent Health Bergan Mercy Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68178, USA
Pharmacotherapy 22:384-6. 2002..We report two patients who were admitted to the hospital with diagnoses of gastrointestinal bleeds while they were taking rofecoxib...
- The role of endoscopy in the management of liver transplant patientsG Macedo
Liver Transplant Unit, H S João, Porto, Portugal
Transplant Proc 35:1133. 2003
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 24-2004. A 48-year-old man with recurrent gastrointestinal bleedingMyles D Keroack
Gastroenterology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
N Engl J Med 351:488-95. 2004
- [Hormone therapy with estrogen patches for the treatment of recurrent digestive hemorrhages in uremic patients]M C Alarcon
Nefrologia 22:208-9. 2002
- Combined diagnostic and therapeutic imaging of hemosuccus pancreaticusAdolfo Canadè
Istituto di Radiologia, Universita Cattolica del S Cuore, Policlinico A Gemelli, Largo A Gemelli 8, 00168 Roma, Italy
Rays 28:197-207. 2003..During the examination, the aneurysm embolization excluded the affected vessel from the circulation and allowed immediate benefit to the patient...
- Severe erosion of lumbar vertebral body because of abdominal aortic false aneurysm: report of two casesC H Diekerhof
Departments of Orthopedics and Vascular Surgery, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:E382-4. 2002..Two cases of lumbar vertebral erosion resulting from abdominal aortic false aneurysm are reported...
- [Esophageal non-variceal hemorrhage: a clinical and epidemiological study]G de Manzoni
Cattedra di Chirurgia d Urgenza, I Divisione Clinicizzata di Chirurgia Generale, Ospedale Civile Maggiore Borgo Trento,
G Chir 23:199-204. 2002..Other causes of esophageal bleeding observed were: Candida esophagitis (19 cases), esophageal malignancy (11 cases), benign polyps (2 cases), angiodysplasia (one case) and one case of aorto-esophageal fistula...
- Malignant duodenal stromal tumor: the first case report in Thailand and review of the literatureV Mahachai
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 84:S481-4. 2001..A high level of suspicion to detect this malignant tumor especially in a patient presenting with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding and effective surgical treatment allow better clinical outcome in this rare and fatal malignancy...
- [Heyde syndrome]B Granel
Service de Medecine Interne, CHU Timone, Marseille 13
Presse Med 31:1451-3. 2002..Heyde's syndrome associates aortic stenosis and digestive hemorrhage secondary to intestinal angiodysplasia...
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumours of the oesophagusMonalisa Sur
Departments of Anatomical Pathology and Radiation Oncology, University of the Witwatersrand, South African Institute for Medical Research, Johannesburg
S Afr J Surg 41:21-3. 2003..A rare case of gastrointestinal stromal tumour (GIST) of the oesophagus is presented. Pathological features with a review of the treatment options and the literature are presented...
- [Metastatic prostate cancer complicated with chronic disseminated intravascular coagulopathy causing acute renal failure, mimicking thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndrome: pathomechanism, differential diagnosis and therapy relatDániel Deme
Szent Lázár Megyei Kórház Belgyógyászati Osztály 3100 Salgótarján Füleki út 54 56
Magy Onkol 54:351-7. 2010..carotid artery stenosis, gastric ulcer and alcoholic liver disease was admitted to another hospital with melena. Gastroscopy revealed intact gastric mucosa and actually non-bleeding duodenal ulcer covered by clots...
- Study on histopathology, ultrasonography and some special serum enzymes and collagens for 38 advanced patients of schistosomiasis japonicaShen Guangjin
Anhui Provincial Institute of Schistosomiasis Control, 207 Dongjiao Road, Anhui, Wuhu 241000, People s Republic of China
Acta Trop 82:235-46. 2002..Histories of hematemesis and melena were recorded in three cases...
- [Severe upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage of a rare cause: aorto-esophageal fistula successfully treated]A Tonea
Centrul de Chirurgie Generală şi Transplant Hepatic, I C Fundeni
Chirurgia (Bucur) 100:599-604. 2005..in our clinic from another hospital for repetitive severe upper gastrointestinal bleeding, with hematemesis and melena, pale, asthenia, without any pain; the bleeding stopped when he was admitted...
- Control of bleeding in children with Dengue hemorrhagic fever using recombinant activated factor VII: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyAmpaiwan Chuansumrit
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 16:549-55. 2005....
- [Acute hemorrhage of the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract--survey of emergency endoscopy of the upper gastrointestinal tract at our facility]J Golánová
Interni klinika 2 lékarské fakulty UK a FN Motol, Praha
Vnitr Lek 50:274-7. 2004..The aim of our retrospective analysis was to discover causes of bleeding into upper GI tract and its characteristics over a 4 year period...
- Early gastrointestinal hemorrhage after laparoscopic gastric bypassNinh T Nguyen
Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine, Medical Center, Orange, CA 92868 3298, USA
Obes Surg 13:62-5. 2003..The aim of this study was to examine the incidence of early GI hemorrhage after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGBP), its presentation, and possible treatment options...
- Hospital-acquired diarrhea in adults: a prospective case-controlled study in MexicoM Zaidi
Department of Infectious Diseases, , , Mexico City, Mexico
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 12:349-55. 1991..Reasons for exclusion were presence of chronic diarrheal disease or melena. There were 115 cases and 111 controls. RESULTS: Overall risk of acquiring nosocomial diarrhea was 5.5%, or 1...
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST) of the stomach: retrospective experience with surgical resection at the National Cancer InstituteSherif F Naguib
The Department of Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Cairo, Egypt
J Egypt Natl Canc Inst 20:80-9. 2008..Thereby imatinib mesylate was advocated as an adjuvant to surgery, which appears to have improved disease-free and overall survival...
- Proton pump inhibitors after endoscopic hemostasis in patients with peptic ulcer bleedingRusmir Mesihovic
Clinical Centre University of Sarajevo, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Med Arh 63:323-7. 2009..For patients with bleeding peptic ulcers that display major endoscopic stigmata of recent hemorrhage, a combination of endoscopic and pharmacologic therapy is the current standard management...
- Presentation and outcome of gastrointestinal involvement in systemic necrotizing vasculitides: analysis of 62 patients with polyarteritis nodosa, microscopic polyangiitis, Wegener granulomatosis, Churg-Strauss syndrome, or rheumatoid arthritis-associated Christian Pagnoux
Hopital Cochin, Service de Medecine Interne, 27, rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, Paris Cedex 14, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 84:115-28. 2005..and were mainly abdominal pain in 61 (97%), nausea or vomiting in 21 (34%), diarrhea in 17 (27%), hematochezia or melena in 10 (16%), and hematemesis in 4 (6%)...
- T-tube gastrostomy as a novel approach for distal staple line disruption after sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity: case report and review of the literatureIsmael Court
The Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, Section of Minimally Invasive and Endoscopic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Obes Surg 20:519-22. 2010..the emergency room at Cleveland Clinic Florida with new onset of fever, abdominal pain, jaundice, hematemesis, and melena. A computed tomography scan of the abdomen revealed a large extravasation of contrast material parallel to the ..
- Clinical, radiologic and pathologic characteristics of the Carney triad: a case report and literature reviewChin Fan Chen
Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 26:428-34. 2010..A 26-year-old woman presented with dizziness and several episodes of melena over 3 days. Physical examination revealed pale conjunctiva but normal hemodynamic status...
- [Acute massive gastrointestinal bleeding in the elderly]Akihiro Kimura
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Tokyo Medical University
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 46:250-8. 2009..We, therefore, conducted a study to clarify these problems from a clinical view point in geriatric medicine...
- Simple clinical predictors may obviate urgent endoscopy in selected patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal tract bleedingJoseph Romagnuolo
Departments of Medicine and Biometry, Bioinformatics and Epidemiology, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas Street, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:265-70. 2007..The aims of this study were to predict whether the modified BRS (mBRS) can predict (1) endoscopic high-risk stigmata (HRS) and (2) rebleeding and mortality...
- [Clinical manifestations and endoscopic characteristics of Kaposi's sarcoma in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome]Julio Sánchez del Monte
Instituto Nacional de Cancerologia, SSA, Hospital Regional Lic Adolfo López Mateos, ISSSTE
Rev Gastroenterol Mex 70:416-23. 2005..Kaposi sarcoma may be the initial manifestation of immunodeficiency acquired syndrome (AIDS )in 30% of patients. The digestive tract is the thirth most affected site after the skin and lymph nodes...
- Safety and efficacy of nasogastric intubation for gastrointestinal bleeding after myocardial infarction: an analysis of 125 patients at two tertiary cardiac referral hospitalsMitchell S Cappell
Gastroenterology Fellowship Training Program, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Klein Professional Building, Suite 363, 5401 Old York Road, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19141, USA
Dig Dis Sci 50:2063-70. 2005..Indications for NG intubation included melena in 55 patients; fecal occult blood with an acute hematocrit decline, severe anemia, or sudden hypotension in 37; ..
- Gastrointestinal manifestations of septic patients with scrub typhus in Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital- Aung-Thu
Department of Medical Research, Lower Myanmar, Ministry of Health, Myanmar, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 35:845-51. 2004..symptoms of scrub typhus patients were vomiting 13 (65%), nausea 12 (60%), diarrhea 9 (45%), and hametamesis or melena 5 (25%). Gastrointestinal signs included hepatomegaly 8 (40%), jaundice 7 (35%), and abdominal pain 4 (20%)...
- Prospective study of cardiac troponin I release in patients with upper gastrointestinal bleedingDavid M Iser
Department of Medicine, The University of Melbourne, Western Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:938-42. 2008..The aims of this study were to determine prospectively the risk of cardiac troponin I release and associated adverse cardiac events in patients with acute upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage...
- [Unusual presentation of metastatic osteosarcoma as a giant duodenal polyp. A case report]D Piscitelli
DAPEG Dipartimento di Anatomia Patologica e di Genetica, Sezione di Anatomia Patologica, Universita di Bari
Pathologica 97:88-91. 2005....
- Re-evaluation of a portocaval venograft without an ameroid constrictor as a method for controlling portal hypertension after occlusion of intrahepatic portocaval shunts in dogsAndrew E Kyles
Department of Surgical and Radiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA, USA
Vet Surg 33:691-8. 2004..To evaluate the use of a portocaval venograft without an ameroid constrictor in the surgical management of intrahepatic portosystemic shunts (PSS)...
- [Life threatening intestinal bleeding in a Bearded Collie associated with a food supplement for horses]M Rohner Mächler
Klinik für Kleintiermedizin der Universität Zürich
Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 146:479-82. 2004In a Bearded Collie with acute weakness, hematemesis, melena, painful abdomen and pale mucous membranes a hematocrit of 13% and panhypoproteinemia were found...
- The clinical significance of incidental chronic colitis: a study of 17 casesVikram Deshpande
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, 02114, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 34:463-9. 2010..In this study, we report the clinical, histologic, and follow-up data on 17 cases of histologically documented cases of chronic colitis in which a definitive etiologic factor could not be identified...
- Peptic ulcer disease in dyspeptic patients with ischemic heart disease: search and treat?M Banic
Department of Gastroenterology, University Department of Medicine, Dubrava University Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Z Gastroenterol 43:581-6. 2005....
- Metastatic malignant melanoma of the gastrointestinal tractKelly V Liang
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 81:511-6. 2006..Symptoms may include abdominal pain, dysphagia, small bowel obstruction, hematemesis, and melena. We report 2 cases of malignant melanoma metastatic to the GI tract, followed by a review of the literature...
- Transcatheter arterial embolization in the management of bleeding duodenal ulcers: a 5.5-year retrospective study of treatment and outcomeLene Larssen
Departments of Medical Gastroenterology, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:217-22. 2008..In this study we report our experiences in 36 patients...
- Juvenile dermatomyositis at diagnosis: clinical characteristics of 79 childrenL M Pachman
Division of Immunology, Children s Memorial Hospital Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60614, USA
J Rheumatol 25:1198-204. 1998....
- [Factors related to acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding after transcatheter arterial chemoembolization in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma]Jian Xin Wu
Department of Gastroenterology, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200092, P R China
Ai Zheng 21:881-4. 2002..The authors studied the factors associated with UGIB for better prevention and management of the complication...
- Application of endoscopic hemoclips for nonvariceal bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tractShi Bin Guo
Department of Gastroenterology, the Affiliated First Hospital of Dalian Medical University, Dalian 116001, Liaoning Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 15:4322-6. 2009..To investigate acute nonvariceal bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal (GI) tract and evaluate the effects of endoscopic hemoclipping...
- Management of nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleedingE Wee
Gastroenterology, Department of General Medicine, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, Singapore
J Postgrad Med 57:161-7. 2011..Rarer causes include hemobilia, hemosuccus pancreaticus, and aortoenteric fistulas. Hematemesis and melena are the key features of bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract, but fresh per rectal bleeding may be ..
- [A case of colonic cryptococcosis]Jae Chun Song
Departments of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 52:255-60. 2008..A 27-year- old woman admitted our hospital for intermittent melena. Initial abdominal CT scan revealed a mass lesion obstructing most of the lumen in ascending colon...
- Management of bleeding after percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography or transhepatic biliary drain placementWael E A Saad
University of Rochester Medical Center, Department of Imaging Sciences, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 648, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 11:60-71. 2008..These complications include: hemothorax, hemoperitoneum, subcapsular hepatic bleeding, hemobilia, melena, and bleeding from the percutaneous biliary drain...
- Nissen fundoplication in infants and children: a long-term clinical studyMostafa Abu Zeid
Gastroenterology Surgery Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Hepatogastroenterology 51:697-700. 2004..Infants and children who underwent open Nissen fundoplication for gastroesophageal reflux disease were retrospectively evaluated to assess the success and complications of this operation...
- [Case of minocycline-induced vasculitic neuropathy]Nobuhiro Ogawa
Division of Neurology, Department of Internal Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 50:301-5. 2010..Three months before admission, she had had melena several times and body weight loss and pyrexia developed...
- [Arachnoid cyst associated with pyloric stenosis in a young boy]Smaranda Diaconescu
Facultatea de Medicina, Clinica a V Pediatrie Gastroenterologie, Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 114:1053-7. 2010..The little patient was admitted into hospital with haematemesis, melena, influenced generally condition and acute posthemorrhagic anaemia following aspirin intake for hypertermia...
- Active Crohn disease with maternal vitamin K deficiency and fetal subdural hematomaM Hirose
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Ohtsu, Japan
Obstet Gynecol 98:919-21. 2001..Fetal subdural hematoma is a rare condition not considered a complication of Crohn disease in pregnancy...
- Clinical, biochemical, and hematological characteristics, disease prevalence, and prognosis of dogs presenting with neutrophil cytoplasmic toxicityItamar Aroch
School of Veterinary Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
J Vet Intern Med 19:64-73. 2005..a significantly higher prevalence of pale mucous membranes, tachycardia, fever, abdominal organomegaly, icterus, melena, and hematuria. Most mean hematologic variables were significantly different between groups...
- Primary aortoduodenal fistula complicated by abdominal aortic aneurysmA K Korkut
Dept of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Vakif Gureba Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 41:113-5. 2000..Appearing of melena and hematemesis gastroduodenoscopy and radionuclide scanning was performed as diagnosis...
- An evaluation of endoscopic indications and findings related to nonvariceal upper-GI hemorrhage in a large multicenter consortiumBrintha K Enestvedt
Department of Internal Medicine, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97214, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 67:422-9. 2008..There is limited information about patients with UGIH who are evaluated by endoscopy at nonacademic settings, which comprise the majority of endoscopic practices in the United States...
- Aortoenteric fistulas: CT features and potential mimicsQuan D M Vu
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 510 S Kingshighway Blvd, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Radiographics 29:197-209. 2009..The clinical signs of aortoenteric fistula include hematemesis, melena, sepsis, and abdominal pain, but the condition also may be clinically occult...
- Gastrointestinal manifestations of Henoch-Schonlein PurpuraEllen C Ebert
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, One Robert Wood Johnson Place, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:2011-9. 2008..Bleeding is usually occult or, less commonly, associated with melena. Intussusception, the most common surgical complication, is usually ileo-ileo or ileo-colic...
- Gastritis in Saudi Arab childrenMohammad I El-Mouzan
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine and King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud University, PO Box 2925, Riyadh 11461, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 26:576-9. 2005..Information on childhood gastritis in developing countries is rare; hence, the objective of this study is to report the pattern of this condition in Saudi Arab children...
- Local therapeutic injection in bleeding peptic ulcer: a comparison of adrenaline to adrenaline plus a sclerosing agentA Garrido Serrano
Department of Gastrointestinal Medicine, Hospital Comarcal de Riotinto, Huelva, Spain
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 94:395-405. 2002....
- Sitagliptin therapy to improve outcomes after islet autotransplantation.Melena D Bellin; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Melena Bellin, MD is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, at the University of Minnesota (UM)...
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESEllen Ebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will determine the mechanism of IEL chemotaxis toward secreted products of ECs, why IL-15 is more potent than IL-2 in inducing LAK activity by IELs, and how IL-10 and IL-12 augment this activity. ..
- CORI: Consortium Expansion and Database EnhancementDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- PTHRP 1 to 173 IN CHONDROCYTESRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2005..Completion of these studies will indicate not only how PTHrP 1-173 can modulate OA, but also how functional properties of the PTHrP 1-173 C-terminal 140-173 domain can be harnessed to promote cartilage repair. ..
- ANK and Joint Ankylosis in SpondylitisRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will identify novel targets for enthesopathic bone fusion in spondyloarthritis. ..
- Screening for colortectal cancer in an Asian Community CenterDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is a new paradigm for screening, which takes advantage of the trust and cultural awareness that exists at the community center and does not rely on the primary care provider. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chondrocyte S100/Calgranulins and RAGE in OsteoarthritisRobert Terkeltaub; Fiscal Year: 2009..Completion of the work will reveal new potential targets for therapeutic intervention in OA by disconnecting inflammation from deleterious alteration of chondrocyte differentiation and function. ..