Summary: Vomiting of blood that is either fresh bright red, or older "coffee-ground" in character. It generally indicates bleeding of the UPPER GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT.
Publications243 found, 100 shown here
- Management of haematemesis and melaenaK Palmer
Department of Gastroenterology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Postgrad Med J 80:399-404. 2004..Intravenous omeprazole reduces the risk of re-bleeding in ulcer patients undergoing endoscopic therapy. Repeat endoscopic therapy or operative surgery are required if bleeding recurs...
- [A woman with hemorrhagic shock]Liv Mundal
Medisinsk avdeling, Førde Sentralsjukehus, 6807 Førde
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 125:1833-4. 2005..Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding may be a life-threatening condition that calls for immediate diagnosis and action...
- Aortoesophageal fistula due to caustic ingestionR A Yegane
Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Loqman Hakim Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Kamali St, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 35:187-9. 2008..Caustic agent ingestion may produce corrosive lesions that can extend beyond adjacent organs. We report three cases of aortoesophageal fistulas (AEF) after caustic ingestion that were diagnosed by autopsy...
- Hematemesis in infants induced by cow milk allergyPrapun Aanpreung
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol 21:211-6. 2003..the histology of the gastrointestinal mucosa, the treatments and the clinical course in infants who had hematemesis induced by cow milk allergy. The medical records were reviewed retrospectively...
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 1-2007. A 40-year-old woman with epistaxis, hematemesis, and altered mental statusMichael Laposata
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
N Engl J Med 356:174-82. 2007
- Extramedullary relapse of multiple myeloma presenting as hematemesis and melenaMark A Dawson
Department of Haematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Prahran, Melbourne, Victoria 3181, Australia
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 3:223-6; quiz 227. 2006..She presented with hematemesis and melena following salvage chemotherapy with dexamethasone, cyclophosphamide, etoposide, cisplatin, and ..
- Aortoesophageal fistula-relief of massive hematemesis with an endovascular stent-graftN Kato
Department of Radiology, Mie University Hospital, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu, Mie, Japan
Eur J Radiol 34:63-6. 2000A 59-year-old man with an esophageal carcinoma developed massive hematemesis due to aortoesophageal fistula after irradiation therapy reached 58 Gy...
- Testicular choriocarcinoma with gastric metastasis presenting as hematemesisR Harikumar
Department of Gastroenterology, Medical College Hospital, Kozhikode 673 008, Kerala, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 23:223-4. 2004We report a 28-year-old man who presented with hematemesis due to choricarcinoma of testis metastatic to the stomach. Gastroscopy showed a polypoidal lesion...
- Primary splenic lymphoma complicated by hematemesis and gastric erosionMark A Bird
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 7210, USA
South Med J 95:941-2. 2002..Upper intestinal hemorrhage can be successfully treated with splenic artery embolization, followed by splenectory and gastric resection...
- Tc-99m red blood cell bleeding scan in a pregnant woman presenting with hematemesis: a brief review of indications and guidelines for radionuclide scans during pregnancyGonca Gul Bural
Department of Radiology, Nuclear Medicine Division, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Clin Nucl Med 36:987-90. 2011A 6-month pregnant 35-year-old woman with hematemesis and dark blood in her stool was evaluated for location of an active gastrointestinal bleeding site. The findings from 2 esophagogastroduodenoscopies and a colonoscopy were negative...
- Intussusception of efferent intragastric loop after gastrojejunostomy--an exceptional cause of high occlusion and hematemesisM Munteanu
3rd General Surgery Clinic, University of Medicine and Pharmacy Craiova, Romania
Chirurgia (Bucur) 101:525-8. 2006..severe pain in the superior abdominal segment posteriorly irradiated, incoercible biliary nausea followed by hematemesis. The endoscopic, imaging and biological explorations suggested a huge gastric tumor that occupied the whole ..
- Giant splenic artery mycotic aneurysm presenting with massive hematemesisR Jeyamani
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632 004, Tamil Nadu
Indian J Gastroenterol 22:147-8. 2003We report a 40-year-old man with rheumatic heart disease who presented with abdominal pain for three weeks and hematemesis for 24 hours. CT scan showed a large splenic artery aneurysm without evidence of pancreatitis...
- Upper gastrointestinal bacillary angiomatosis causing hematemesis: a case reportR Chetty
Department of Pathology, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of Natal, Durban, South Africa
Int J Surg Pathol 11:241-4. 2003A 38-year-old HIV-positive woman presented with massive hematemesis on initial admission to hospital. Endoscopy revealed ulcerated nodular lesions in the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. The clinical impression was of Kaposi's sarcoma...
- Jejunogastric intussusception presented with hematemesis: a case presentation and review of the literatureA J Archimandritis
Department of Pathophysiology, Gastroenterology Section, University of Athens Medical School, Liako General Hospital, Athens, Greece
BMC Gastroenterol 1:1. 2001..Jejunogastric intussusception (JGI) is a rare but potentially very serious complication of gastrectomy or gastrojejunostomy. To avoid mortality early diagnosis and prompt surgical intervention is mandatory...
- [Nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Treatment options. What do I do? The internist]Raúl Fernando Olaeta-Elizalde
Presidente del Consejo Mexicano de Gastroenterologia, Mexico, D F
Rev Gastroenterol Mex 72:51-3. 2007
- [Haemorrhagic shock following a dental bleeding in a cirrhotic patient]K Abouelalaa
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 26:714-5. 2007
- Symptomatic gastric leiomyoma mimicking giant gastric polyp: endoscopic diagnosis and removalG Brandimarte
Department of Internal Medicine, Cristo Re Hospital Rome Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 8:107-10. 2004..A 67-years-old patient was admitted to our attention due to two episodes of hematemesis and melena occurred in the previous two days...
- Gastric variceal bleed in a patient without liver cirrhosis: an unusual cause of haematemesisF W Ismail
Department of Medicine, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
Singapore Med J 48:e171-3. 2007..We also review the literature pertaining to unusual pathologies presenting as haematemesis...
- [Fatal Dieulafoy's type ulcer in a case of gastric AL-amyloidosis]Nelly Youssef
Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, 149 rue de Sèvres 75743 Paris cedex 15
Ann Pathol 24:256-8. 2004..Pathogenesis of Dieulafoy's ulcer remains unclear. In our case, local ischemia may have facilitated gastric ulceration, and amyloid deposits may have contributed to arterial rupture...
- Stress-related gastric bleeding after rhinoplastyYener Demirtas
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:1669-70. 2004
- Recurrent hemorrhagic shock from solitary jejunal diverticulumMarco Gismant
Institute of Internal Medicine, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart A Gemelli, Rome, Italy
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1069-72. 2004We report the case of recurrent hemorrhagic shock manifested by massive melena and hematemesis in a 67-year-old patient, previously operated in another hospital for an abdominal aortic aneurysm two weeks before...
- Combined diagnostic and therapeutic imaging of hemosuccus pancreaticusAdolfo Canadè
Istituto di Radiologia, Universita Cattolica del S Cuore, Policlinico A Gemelli, Largo A Gemelli 8, 00168 Roma, Italy
Rays 28:197-207. 2003..During the examination, the aneurysm embolization excluded the affected vessel from the circulation and allowed immediate benefit to the patient...
- Reperfusion of splanchnic artery aneurysm following transcatheter embolization: treatment with percutaneous thrombin injectionRaymond P Chan
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Medical Imaging, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, 30 Bond St, M5B 1W8, Toronto, ON, Canada
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 27:264-7. 2004..The lesion was successfully treated by direct puncture of the aneurysm under computed tomographic guidance, followed by injection of thrombin. This technique is useful when an endovascular approach is not feasible...
- Gastric varix: radiological-endoscopic correlationAndres Cardenas
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Harvard Medical School 110 Francis Street Ste 8E Boston, MA 02215, USA
Ann Hepatol 3:74. 2004
- Variceal hemorrhage 18 years after pancreatectomy for nesidioblastosis: a case report and discussionJoel Patrick Maier
Department of Surgery, The Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital, Cooperstown, NY, USA
J Pediatr Surg 38:1102-5. 2003..Splenic vein thrombosis resulting in gastric variceal hemorrhage has not been a previously reported complication from 95% pancreatectomy for this indication. A case is presented and the management of this unusual complication discussed...
- Images in emergency medicine. Aortoenteric fistulaSarah A Denny
Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH, USA
Ann Emerg Med 43:416, 429. 2004
- Polyarteritis nodosa, presenting as life-threatening gastrointestinal hemorrhage in a liver transplant recipientSheldon C Cooper
Liver Unit, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, University Hospital Birmingham, National Health Service Foundation Trust, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Liver Transpl 14:151-4. 2008..Following recovery from an episode of acute rejection, the patient presented with large volume hematemesis, melena, and hemochezia (passage of fresh blood from the rectum)...
- Aortoesophageal fistula secondary to stent-graft repair of the thoracic aorta after previous surgical coarctation repairKirkpatrick C Santo
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Birmingham NHS Trust, Birmingham, United Kingdom
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:1585-6. 2007
- Endovascular repair of an actively hemorrhaging aortoduodenal fistulaAndrew R Barleben
University of California Irvine Medical Center, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 21:629-32. 2007..One month later he developed massive hematemesis, and endoscopic examination revealed an aortoduodenal fistula...
- Traumatic pseudoaneurysm of the pharyngeal artery: An unusual cause of hematemesis and hematochezia after craniofacial traumaChang Young Lee
Department of Neurosurgery, Keimyung University School of Medicine, Daegu 700 712, South Korea
Surg Neurol 66:444-6; discussion 446. 2006Traumatic aneurysms of the internal maxillary artery are extremely rare. We report a case of traumatic pseudoaneurysm of the pharyngeal artery, a branch of the internal maxillary artery, presenting with hematemesis and hematochezia.
- [Severe upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage of a rare cause: aorto-esophageal fistula successfully treated]A Tonea
Centrul de Chirurgie Generală şi Transplant Hepatic, I C Fundeni
Chirurgia (Bucur) 100:599-604. 2005..was admitted in our clinic from another hospital for repetitive severe upper gastrointestinal bleeding, with hematemesis and melena, pale, asthenia, without any pain; the bleeding stopped when he was admitted...
- [Renal cell carcinoma with bilateral adrenal and small intestinal metastases: a case report]Satoshi Ando
Department of Urology, Tsukuba Medical Center Hospital
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 97:64-7. 2006A 69-year-old man who had a complaint of melena and hematemesis was referred to our hospital for further evaluation and treatment of renal masses, bilateral adrenal swelling and a tumor in the small intestine...
- Non-operative management of delayed oesophageal perforation: a note of cautionJacob W T Ng
ANZ J Surg 75:1128-30. 2005
- [Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in neonates--experience of pediatric gastroenterology unit]Sonia Mazigh M'rad
Service de Médecine Infantile C, Hopital d Enfants de Tunis
Tunis Med 84:607-10. 2006..The aim of our study was to assess the frequency of the different lesions occurring as well as to precise indications of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in neonates...
- Rodeo endoscopyLarry D Scott
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:2611. 2005
- Secondary rupture of aorta following the surgical management of aortoesophageal fistulaTao Jin
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, Medical College of Zhejiang University, Zhejiang, China
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 13:374-6. 2005..However, the patient died of frank hematemesis on the 6th postoperative day due to secondary rupture of the aorta...
- [Esophagus actinomycosis causing upper gastrointestinal bleeding]N Fernández Moreno
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 97:533-4. 2005
- Operative management of symptomatic duodenal diverticulaKellie L Mathis
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Surg 193:305-8; discussion 308-9. 2007..Duodenal diverticula are common but rarely cause symptoms that require operative intervention...
- Aortoduodenal fistula complicated by acupunctureSung A Chang
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Republic of Korea
Int J Cardiol 104:241-2. 2005..In this article, we present a case of 68-year-old man who died of massive hematemesis resulting from aortoduodenal fistula (ADF), a rare complication of acupuncture therapy.
- Acute esophageal necrosis: a rare syndromeGrigoriy E Gurvits
Department of Gastroenterology, St Vincent s Medical Center, New York Medical College, 153 West 11th Street, NR 11, New York, NY10011, USA
J Gastroenterol 42:29-38. 2007....
- Clinical profile of dengue hemorrhagic fever cases in MexicoJoel Navarrete-Espinosa
Coordinación de los Programas Integrados de Salud Unidad de Salud Pública, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social
Salud Publica Mex 47:193-200. 2005..Dengue hemorrhagic fever is a public health problem in Mexico since 1994. With four serotypes circulating the risk of epidemic dengue hemorrhagic fever is increasing...
- Gastric epithelioid haemangioendothelioma: a rare cause of upper gastrointestinal bleedingP Sanjay
Department of General Surgery, Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Llantrisant, South Wales CF72 8XR, UK
Postgrad Med J 81:e7. 2005..This case highlights the difficulty in diagnosing this rare tumour preoperatively and emphasises the need for long term follow up in view of its uncertain metastatic potential...
- An unusual cause of gastrointestinal bleeding in a young girlEmiliano Antiga
Department of Dermatological Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
CMAJ 175:583. 2006
- Bleeding Meckel diverticulum responds to intravenous pantoprazoleAhmed Dahshan
South Med J 100:334. 2007
- [Gastric micropneumatosis: a rare endoscopic entity]Miklós Horváth
Baranya Megyei Kórház, Belgyógyászat, Gasztroenterológiai Osztály, Pecs
Orv Hetil 148:799-802. 2007..general arteriosclerosis, cerebral infarction, who was admitted to our department because of melaena and hematemesis. Upper endoscopy revealed a map-like, slightly raised, palm-sized area with yellowish spots on the posterior ..
- Splenic infarction: an unusual complication of ethanolamine oleate injectionA Bar-Gil Shitrit
Dept of Gastroenterology, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Endoscopy 38:432. 2006
- Massive bleeding from an arteriovenous malformation in the gastric fundus following gastric biopsy treated by embolisationA S Ibrahim
Department of Medicine, Hamad General Hospital, PO Box 3050, Doha, Qatar
Int J Clin Pract 57:354-5. 2003..Repeat gastroduodenoscopy failed to identify the source. Angiography identified bleeding from an arteriovenous malformation at the fundus of the stomach. This was controlled by embolisation...
- Fatal splenic arterial aneurysmal rupture associated with chronic pancreatitisManisha Lamba
Department of Pathology, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 23:281-3. 2002..A 56-year-old man with abdominal pain and hematemesis was resuscitated and underwent endoscopy, but he died 18 hours later of massive hematemesis before definitive ..
- [A case of ischemic skin necrosis after glypressin therapy in liver cirrhosis]Ji Eun Oh
Department of Internal Medicince, Masan Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 51:381-4. 2008..A 71-year-old man with liver cirrhosis was admitted because of hematemesis and melena...
- [Aorto-oesophageal fistula bleeding]Lars Nebrich
Naestved Sygehus, Anaestesiologisk afdeling
Ugeskr Laeger 170:2161. 2008..fistula (AEF) bleeding secondary to a thoracic aneurysm in a 69 year-old woman presenting with hematemesis and back pain...
- [The patient with hematemesis. What to do?]W Vogt
Medizinische Klinik, Fachbereich Gastroenterologie, Städtische Kliniken Esslingen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 91:493-7. 2002In patients with hematemesis an emergency endoscopy has to be done as soon as possible. In ulcer disease emergency endoscopic treatment is indicated in ulcers with active bleeding or with visible vessels in the base of the ulcer...
- [Upper gastrointestinal bleeding triggered by foreign body ingestion]R Ramos
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Universitário de Covilhã, Portugal
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 100:238-9. 2008
- Repair of secondary aortoesophageal fistula by endoluminal stent-graftingS E Bond
Department of Surgery, Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospital Trust, London, England, UK
J Endovasc Ther 8:597-601. 2001..CASE REPORT: A 58-year-old woman presented with hematemesis and melena...
- Influence of climatic factors in the incidence of upper gastrointestinal bleedingT Nomura
Department of Endoscopy, Tokyo Metropolitan Bokutou Hospital, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:619-23. 2001..We assessed the seasonal incidence of hematemesis caused by peptic ulcers or gastroesophageal varices, and the correlations between those and climatic factors...
- Gastrointestinal bleeds associated with rofecoxibPamela A Foral
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Creighton University School of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, and Alegent Health Bergan Mercy Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68178, USA
Pharmacotherapy 22:384-6. 2002..We report two patients who were admitted to the hospital with diagnoses of gastrointestinal bleeds while they were taking rofecoxib...
- Severe erosion of lumbar vertebral body because of abdominal aortic false aneurysm: report of two casesC H Diekerhof
Departments of Orthopedics and Vascular Surgery, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:E382-4. 2002..Two cases of lumbar vertebral erosion resulting from abdominal aortic false aneurysm are reported...
- Bleeding "downhill" varices: a rare complication of intrathoracic goiterEric L R Bédard
Division de Chirurgie Thoracique, Centre de Pneumologie de l Hôpital Laval, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 81:358-60. 2006We report a case of a 68-year-old woman with a 16-year history of a benign goiter. The patient presented with hematemesis and a clinically evident superior vena cava syndrome...
- Detection of an aortoenteric fistula in a patient with intermittent bleedingBulent Odemis
Department of Gastroenterology, Diskapi Yildirim Beyazit Education and Training Hospital, Diskapi, Ankara, Turkey
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:226-30. 2008..an aortobifemoral bypass graft presented to a gastroenterology clinic with a 3-month history of intermittent hematemesis, melena and fever...
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumours of the oesophagusMonalisa Sur
Departments of Anatomical Pathology and Radiation Oncology, University of the Witwatersrand, South African Institute for Medical Research, Johannesburg
S Afr J Surg 41:21-3. 2003..A rare case of gastrointestinal stromal tumour (GIST) of the oesophagus is presented. Pathological features with a review of the treatment options and the literature are presented...
- [Aorto-oesophageal fistula due to an aortic endovascular prosthesis: case report and state of the art]Sergio Gentilli
Clinica Chirurgica, Universita del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Novara
Chir Ital 60:147-52. 2008..The patient survived for 7 months, the cause of death being septic shock...
- [Portal vein hypertension during azathioprine therapy in patients with Crohn's disease--a frequent phenomenon?]L Ehmsen
Medizinische Klinik I, Stadtklinik Baden Baden, Klinikum Mittelbaden, Balgerstr 50, 76532 Baden Baden
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:950-3. 2008..A 45-year-old man with 18 years history of Crohn's disease who was on treatment with azathioprine (AZA) for the past 48 months was admitted because of haematemesis and melaena...
- Primary aorto-esophageal fistula due to Takayasu's aortitisA Reddi
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of Natal and Wentworth Hospital, Durban, South Africa
Cardiovasc Pathol 12:112-4. 2003..Aneurysmal dilatation in Takayasu's arteritis is a recognized complication; however, fistula formation, especially to the esophagus, is very rare...
- Fatal malignant aortoesophageal fistulaKazuto Kishimoto
First Department of Internal Medicine, Department of Endoscopy, University of the Ryukyus, Karimata Clinic, Okinawa, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 57:562-3. 2003
- Mycophenolic acid (cellcept and myofortic) induced injury of the upper GI tractThong Nguyen
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21231 2410, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:1355-63. 2009..We studied the pattern of upper GI tract injury in symptomatic patients taking MPA...
- Study on histopathology, ultrasonography and some special serum enzymes and collagens for 38 advanced patients of schistosomiasis japonicaShen Guangjin
Anhui Provincial Institute of Schistosomiasis Control, 207 Dongjiao Road, Anhui, Wuhu 241000, People s Republic of China
Acta Trop 82:235-46. 2002..Histories of hematemesis and melena were recorded in three cases...
- Salicylate poisoning: an evidence-based consensus guideline for out-of-hospital managementPeter A Chyka
American Association of Poison Control Centers, Washington, District of Columbia 20016, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 45:95-131. 2007..2) The presence of typical symptoms of salicylate toxicity such as hematemesis, tachypnea, hyperpnea, dyspnea, tinnitus, deafness, lethargy, seizures, unexplained lethargy, or confusion ..
- Circulating levels of the neuropeptide hormone somatostatin may determine hepatic fibrosis in Schistosoma mansoni infectionsShyama Chatterjee
Pathology Unit, Department of Medicine, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610 Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Trop 90:191-203. 2004..inherent somatostatin levels determined clinically evident disease severity (epg, hepatomegaly, splenomegaly, hematemesis, ascites), the mean somatostatin values of the inactive disease status group and severe morbidity group were ..
- Control of bleeding in children with Dengue hemorrhagic fever using recombinant activated factor VII: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyAmpaiwan Chuansumrit
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 16:549-55. 2005....
- [Acute hemorrhage of the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract--survey of emergency endoscopy of the upper gastrointestinal tract at our facility]J Golánová
Interni klinika 2 lékarské fakulty UK a FN Motol, Praha
Vnitr Lek 50:274-7. 2004..The aim of our retrospective analysis was to discover causes of bleeding into upper GI tract and its characteristics over a 4 year period...
- Early gastrointestinal hemorrhage after laparoscopic gastric bypassNinh T Nguyen
Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine, Medical Center, Orange, CA 92868 3298, USA
Obes Surg 13:62-5. 2003..The aim of this study was to examine the incidence of early GI hemorrhage after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGBP), its presentation, and possible treatment options...
- Arterial-esophageal fistula: a complication of nasogastric tube placement after lumbar spine surgery: a case reportAaron A Cohen-Gadol
Department of Neurologic, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:E98-E101. 2003..A case of arterial-esophageal fistula related to nasogastric tube placement in a 13-year-old girl after surgical correction of her progressive congenital lumbar kyphosis is presented...
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST) of the stomach: retrospective experience with surgical resection at the National Cancer InstituteSherif F Naguib
The Department of Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Cairo, Egypt
J Egypt Natl Canc Inst 20:80-9. 2008..Thereby imatinib mesylate was advocated as an adjuvant to surgery, which appears to have improved disease-free and overall survival...
- Proton pump inhibitors after endoscopic hemostasis in patients with peptic ulcer bleedingRusmir Mesihovic
Clinical Centre University of Sarajevo, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Med Arh 63:323-7. 2009..For patients with bleeding peptic ulcers that display major endoscopic stigmata of recent hemorrhage, a combination of endoscopic and pharmacologic therapy is the current standard management...
- Presentation and outcome of gastrointestinal involvement in systemic necrotizing vasculitides: analysis of 62 patients with polyarteritis nodosa, microscopic polyangiitis, Wegener granulomatosis, Churg-Strauss syndrome, or rheumatoid arthritis-associated Christian Pagnoux
Hopital Cochin, Service de Medecine Interne, 27, rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, Paris Cedex 14, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 84:115-28. 2005..pain in 61 (97%), nausea or vomiting in 21 (34%), diarrhea in 17 (27%), hematochezia or melena in 10 (16%), and hematemesis in 4 (6%)...
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in a dengue-endemic region: lessons for the futureFarheen Ali
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
J Infect Dev Ctries 4:459-63. 2010..A 16-year-old boy presented with a history of hematemesis and high-grade fever...
- T-tube gastrostomy as a novel approach for distal staple line disruption after sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity: case report and review of the literatureIsmael Court
The Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, Section of Minimally Invasive and Endoscopic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Obes Surg 20:519-22. 2010..admitted to the emergency room at Cleveland Clinic Florida with new onset of fever, abdominal pain, jaundice, hematemesis, and melena...
- Massive gangrene of the stomach due to primary antiphospholipid syndrome: report of two casesVivek Srivastava
Department of General Surgery, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Surg Today 40:167-70. 2010..In the first case a multiparous, 40-year-old woman presented with acute abdominal pain, hematemesis, and progressive abdominal distension, and was in azotemia and shock...
- Clinical and laboratory features of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever: predictors of fatalityMustafa A Cevik
Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology Department, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Infect Dis 12:374-9. 2008..To determine the predictors of fatality among patients with Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF) based on epidemiological, clinical, and laboratory findings...
- VACTERL (vertebral anomalies, anal atresia or imperforate anus, cardiac anomalies, tracheoesophageal fistula, renal and limb defect) spectrum presenting with portal hypertension: a case reportDilli Raj Bhurtel
Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge University NHS Trust, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
J Med Case Reports 4:128. 2010..We examined whether or not there was any association between extrahepatic portal hypertension and VACTERL spectrum...
- Boerhaave's syndrome presenting with abdominal pain and right hydropneumothoraxL Jagminas
Rhode Island Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine, Providence 02903, USA
Am J Emerg Med 14:53-6. 1996..The patient's initial episode of hematemesis may have been caused by a small mucosal laceration in the area of the Barrett's lesion that later ruptured...
- Discriminant value of Rome III questionnaire in dyspeptic patientsShahab Abid
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Saudi J Gastroenterol 17:129-33. 2011..Rome III criteria has modified the description of functional dyspepsia (FD) and divided this into subgroups. However, the discriminative value of Rome III questionnaire-based diagnosis of FD is yet to be determined...
- Gastrointestinal manifestation and outcome of Henoch-Schonlein purpura in childrenH C Chao
Division of Gastroenterlogy, Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Children Hospital, Taipei
Chang Gung Med J 23:135-41. 2000..Twenty-one patients (13%) experienced prolonged hospitalization (> or =10 days). Bilious vomiting, hematemesis, leukocytosis (>20000/cmm), high C-reactive protein (>50 mg/l), and hemorrhagic erosive duodenitis were ..
- [Acute massive gastrointestinal bleeding in the elderly]Akihiro Kimura
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Tokyo Medical University
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 46:250-8. 2009..We, therefore, conducted a study to clarify these problems from a clinical view point in geriatric medicine...
- A novel missense mutation in the MEN1 gene in a patient with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1Runhua Hou
University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Endocr Pract 17:e63-7. 2011..To describe a novel germline missense mutation in exon 2 of the MEN1 gene identified in a man with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN 1)...
- Safety and efficacy of nasogastric intubation for gastrointestinal bleeding after myocardial infarction: an analysis of 125 patients at two tertiary cardiac referral hospitalsMitchell S Cappell
Gastroenterology Fellowship Training Program, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Klein Professional Building, Suite 363, 5401 Old York Road, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19141, USA
Dig Dis Sci 50:2063-70. 2005..55 patients; fecal occult blood with an acute hematocrit decline, severe anemia, or sudden hypotension in 37; hematemesis in 18; bright red blood per rectum in 8; and dark red blood per rectum in 7...
- [Portal vein thrombosis in children: clinical and laboratory study of 26 cases]R M Yamada
Departamento de Pediatria e Gastrocentro da Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da Universidade Estadual de Campinas FCM UNICAMP
Arq Gastroenterol 36:49-53. 1999..The main complaint of the examination was hematemesis, which was found in 57.6%. In 26...
- [Life threatening intestinal bleeding in a Bearded Collie associated with a food supplement for horses]M Rohner Mächler
Klinik für Kleintiermedizin der Universität Zürich
Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 146:479-82. 2004In a Bearded Collie with acute weakness, hematemesis, melena, painful abdomen and pale mucous membranes a hematocrit of 13% and panhypoproteinemia were found...
- Prospective study of cardiac troponin I release in patients with upper gastrointestinal bleedingDavid M Iser
Department of Medicine, The University of Melbourne, Western Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:938-42. 2008..The aims of this study were to determine prospectively the risk of cardiac troponin I release and associated adverse cardiac events in patients with acute upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage...
- Metastatic malignant melanoma of the gastrointestinal tractKelly V Liang
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 81:511-6. 2006..Symptoms may include abdominal pain, dysphagia, small bowel obstruction, hematemesis, and melena...
- Peptic ulcer disease in dyspeptic patients with ischemic heart disease: search and treat?M Banic
Department of Gastroenterology, University Department of Medicine, Dubrava University Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Z Gastroenterol 43:581-6. 2005....
- Transcatheter arterial embolization in the management of bleeding duodenal ulcers: a 5.5-year retrospective study of treatment and outcomeLene Larssen
Departments of Medical Gastroenterology, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:217-22. 2008..In this study we report our experiences in 36 patients...
- [Complicated duodeno-biliary fistula in bleeding duodenal ulcer: case report an literature review]Gaetano La Greca
Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche, Trapianti d Organo e Tecnologie avanzate, Clinicizzata di Chirurgia D Urgenza, Divisione Az, Ospedaliera Canizzaro, Catania
Ann Ital Chir 79:57-61. 2008..case of a 77 years old male diabetic patient, with chronic bronchopaty, urgently admitted to our department for hematemesis. Soon after his hemodynamic stabilization, the patient was submitted to surgery which showed a duodenal ulcer ..
- Application of endoscopic hemoclips for nonvariceal bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tractShi Bin Guo
Department of Gastroenterology, the Affiliated First Hospital of Dalian Medical University, Dalian 116001, Liaoning Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 15:4322-6. 2009..To investigate acute nonvariceal bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal (GI) tract and evaluate the effects of endoscopic hemoclipping...
- Aortoesophageal fistula after thoracic aortic stent-graft placement: a rare but catastrophic complication of a novel emerging techniqueHolger Eggebrecht
Department of Cardiology, West German Heart Center Essen, Essen, Germany
JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2:570-6. 2009..Our goal was to report characteristics and outcomes of 6 patients with aortoesophageal fistula (AEF) after thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR)...
- Management of nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleedingE Wee
Gastroenterology, Department of General Medicine, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, Singapore
J Postgrad Med 57:161-7. 2011..Rarer causes include hemobilia, hemosuccus pancreaticus, and aortoenteric fistulas. Hematemesis and melena are the key features of bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract, but fresh per rectal ..
- Hypoglycemic effects and mechanisms of action of Cortex Lycii Radicis on alloxan-induced diabetic miceDawei Gao
Department of Biological Engineering, College of Environmental and Chemical Engineering, Yanshan University, No 438 Hebei Street, Qinhuangdao 066004, P R China
Yakugaku Zasshi 127:1715-21. 2007..has been used as a traditional Oriental medicine as an antipyretic and to treat pneumonia, night-sweats, cough, hematemesis, inflammation, and diabetes mellitus for centuries...
- Nissen fundoplication in infants and children: a long-term clinical studyMostafa Abu Zeid
Gastroenterology Surgery Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Hepatogastroenterology 51:697-700. 2004..Infants and children who underwent open Nissen fundoplication for gastroesophageal reflux disease were retrospectively evaluated to assess the success and complications of this operation...
- Primary aortoduodenal fistula complicated by abdominal aortic aneurysmA K Korkut
Dept of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Vakif Gureba Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 41:113-5. 2000..Appearing of melena and hematemesis gastroduodenoscopy and radionuclide scanning was performed as diagnosis...
- An evaluation of endoscopic indications and findings related to nonvariceal upper-GI hemorrhage in a large multicenter consortiumBrintha K Enestvedt
Department of Internal Medicine, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97214, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 67:422-9. 2008..There is limited information about patients with UGIH who are evaluated by endoscopy at nonacademic settings, which comprise the majority of endoscopic practices in the United States...
- Aortoenteric fistulas: CT features and potential mimicsQuan D M Vu
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 510 S Kingshighway Blvd, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Radiographics 29:197-209. 2009..The clinical signs of aortoenteric fistula include hematemesis, melena, sepsis, and abdominal pain, but the condition also may be clinically occult...
- Small-duct primary sclerosing cholangitis with hepatocellular carcinoma requiring liver transplantationSharif Ali
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 9:208-12. 2010..On a few occasions, the disease either starts in or exclusively involves the small intrahepatic bile ducts, referred to as small-duct PSC...