Genomes and Genes
Summary: Bleeding in any segment of the GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT from ESOPHAGUS to RECTUM.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications362 found, 100 shown here
- Gastro-intestinal haemorrhage risks of selective serotonin receptor antagonist therapy: a new lookLucie Opatrny
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, McGill University Health Center, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Br J Clin Pharmacol 66:76-81. 2008....
- Prevention and management of gastroesophageal varices and variceal hemorrhage in cirrhosisGuadalupe Garcia-Tsao
Section of Digestive Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine and VACT Healthcare System, New Haven, CT, USA
Hepatology 46:922-38. 2007
- International consensus recommendations on the management of patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleedingAlan N Barkun
Division of Gastroenterology, Montreal General Hospital Site, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Intern Med 152:101-13. 2010..A multidisciplinary group of 34 experts from 15 countries developed this update and expansion of the recommendations on the management of acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding (UGIB) from 2003...
- Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in the UK: patient characteristics, diagnoses and outcomes in the 2007 UK auditSarah A Hearnshaw
Department of Gastroenterology, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Gut 60:1327-35. 2011..To describe the patient characteristics, diagnoses and clinical outcomes of patients presenting with acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding (AUGIB) in the 2007 UK Audit...
- Time trends and impact of upper and lower gastrointestinal bleeding and perforation in clinical practiceAngel Lanas
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Clinico, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Am J Gastroenterol 104:1633-41. 2009....
- Early use of TIPS in patients with cirrhosis and variceal bleedingJuan Carlos Garcia-Pagan
Hepatic Hemodynamic Laboratory, Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives i Metaboliques, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
N Engl J Med 362:2370-9. 2010..This study evaluated the earlier use of TIPS in such patients...
- Incidence of bleeding from gastroduodenal ulcers in patients with end-stage renal disease receiving hemodialysisJiing Chyuan Luo
Department of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, School of Medicine, and Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
CMAJ 183:E1345-51. 2011..We investigated the association between ulcer bleeding and end-stage renal disease in patients receiving hemodialysis, and we sought to identify risk factors for ulcer bleeding...
- Asia-Pacific Working Group consensus on non-variceal upper gastrointestinal bleedingJoseph J Y Sung
Institute of Digestive Disease, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Gut 60:1170-7. 2011..Aspirin should be resumed soon after stabilisation and clopidogrel alone is no safer than aspirin plus a PPI. When dual antiplatelet agents are used, prophylactic use of a PPI reduces the risk of adverse gastrointestinal events...
- Acute upper GI bleeding: did anything change? Time trend analysis of incidence and outcome of acute upper GI bleeding between 1993/1994 and 2000M E van Leerdam
Department of Gastroenterology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Gastroenterol 98:1494-9. 2003..The aim of this study was to examine recent time trends in incidence and outcome of upper GI bleeding...
- Association between nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding/perforation: an overview of epidemiologic studies published in the 1990sS Hernandez-Diaz
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Intern Med 160:2093-9. 2000..Later analyses have also included the effect of patterns of NSAID use, risk factors for UGIB, and modifiers of NSAID effect...
- A meta-analysis of the yield of capsule endoscopy compared to other diagnostic modalities in patients with obscure gastrointestinal bleedingStuart L Triester
Division of Gastroenterology, Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Scottsdale, Arizona 85259, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:2407-18. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the yield of small bowel findings with CE in patients with OGIB compared to other modalities using meta-analysis...
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration of gastric varices with gastrorenal shunt: long-term follow-up in 78 patientsTeruhisa Ninoi
Department of Radiology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Abeno Ku, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 184:1340-6. 2005..Our aim was to evaluate the long-term clinical results after balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (B-RTO) for gastric varices with spontaneous gastrorenal shunt...
- Alarm symptoms in early diagnosis of cancer in primary care: cohort study using General Practice Research DatabaseRoger Jones
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, Division of Health and Social Care Research, King s College London School of Medicine at Guy s, King s College and St Thomas Hospitals, London SE1 6SP
BMJ 334:1040. 2007..To evaluate the association between alarm symptoms and the subsequent diagnosis of cancer in a large population based study in primary care...
- A prospective, randomized trial of butyl cyanoacrylate injection versus band ligation in the management of bleeding gastric varicesG H Lo
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Hepatology 33:1060-4. 2001..01). Nine patients of group A and 14 patients of group B died (P = .05). In conclusion, endoscopic obturation using cyanoacrylate proved more effective and safer than band ligation in the management of bleeding gastric varices...
- Incidence, risk factors, and prognosis of gastrointestinal hemorrhage complicating acute renal failureE Fiaccadori
Dipartimento di Clinica Medica, Nefrologia e Scienze della Prevenzione, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Parma, Italy
Kidney Int 59:1510-9. 2001Few prospective data are currently available on acute gastrointestinal hemorrhage (AGIH) as a complication of acute renal failure (ARF)...
- Risk factors for upper gastrointestinal bleeding among end-stage renal disease patientsHaimanot Wasse
University of Washington, Division of Nephrology, Seattle, Washington, USA
Kidney Int 64:1455-61. 2003..However, correlates of UGIB among ESRD patients remain unknown. We conducted a cohort study of dialysis patients to ascertain risk factors for UGIB...
- Beta-blockers to prevent gastroesophageal varices in patients with cirrhosisRoberto J Groszmann
Yale University School of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
N Engl J Med 353:2254-61. 2005..Nonselective beta-adrenergic blockers decrease portal pressure and prevent variceal hemorrhage. Their effectiveness in preventing varices is unknown...
- Risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding with low-dose acetylsalicylic acid alone and in combination with clopidogrel and other medicationsLuis A Garcia Rodriguez
Spanish Centre for Pharmacoepidemiological Research, Madrid 28004, Spain
Circulation 123:1108-15. 2011..This study evaluated the risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding (UGIB) associated with use of low-dose acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) alone and in combination with other gastrotoxic medications...
- Use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and risk of upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding: a population-based cohort studySusanne Oksbjerg Dalton
Institute of Cancer Epidemiology, Danish Cancer Society, Strandboulevarden 49, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Arch Intern Med 163:59-64. 2003..Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) have been suspected of increasing the risk of bleeding. We examined the risk of upper gastrointestinal tract (GI) bleeding with use of antidepressant medication...
- Improved survival after variceal bleeding in patients with cirrhosis over the past two decadesNicolas Carbonell
Hopital Saint Antoine, Service d Hepatogastroenterologie, AP HP, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Hepatology 40:652-9. 2004....
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for the prevention of bacterial infections in cirrhotic patients with gastrointestinal bleeding: a meta-analysisB Bernard
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Hepatology 29:1655-61. 1999..In cirrhotic patients with gastrointestinal bleeding, short-term antibiotic prophylaxis significantly increases the mean percentage of patients free of infection and significantly increases short-term survival rate...
- Upper digestive bleeding in cirrhosis. Post-therapeutic outcome and prognostic indicatorsGennaro D'Amico
Department of Medicine, Ospedale V Cervello, Palermo, Italy
Hepatology 38:599-612. 2003..Initial treatment stops bleeding in 90% of patients. Accurate predictive rules are provided for early recognition of high-risk patients...
- Pain relief in osteoarthritis: patients' willingness to risk medication-induced gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, and cerebrovascular complicationsChris G Richardson
Arthritis Research Centre of Canada, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Rheumatol 34:1569-75. 2007..We examined patients' attitudes toward the acceptability of gastrointestinal, cardiac, and cerebrovascular events in order to obtain pain relief from OA...
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient predicts clinical decompensation in patients with compensated cirrhosisCristina Ripoll
Veterans Affairs CT Healthcare System, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Gastroenterology 133:481-8. 2007....
- Risk of upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding associated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and venlafaxine therapy: interaction with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and effect of acid-suppressing agentsFrancisco J de Abajo
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacovigilance, Spanish Agency for Medicines and Healthcare Products, Campezo 1, Madrid 28022, Spain
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:795-803. 2008..The wide use of these drugs makes such potential risk a public health concern, and identification of factors that may increase or minimize such risk is necessary...
- Long-term result of endoscopic Histoacryl (N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate) injection for treatment of gastric varicesEun Jung Kang
Institute for Digestive Research, Department of Internal Medicine, Soonchunhyang University College of Medicine, Seoul Hospital, Seoul 140 743, South Korea
World J Gastroenterol 17:1494-500. 2011..To evaluate the long-term efficacy and safety of endoscopic obliteration with Histoacryl(®) for treatment of gastric variceal bleeding and prophylaxis...
- Red blood cell transfusion is associated with increased rebleeding in patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleedingS Restellini
Department of Medical Specialities, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Geneva s University Hospitals and University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 37:316-22. 2013..Studies in other critically ill cohorts suggest associations between transfusions and adverse patient outcomes...
- Norfloxacin vs ceftriaxone in the prophylaxis of infections in patients with advanced cirrhosis and hemorrhageJavier Fernandez
IMDM and IDIBAPS, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Villaroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 131:1049-56; quiz 1285. 2006..is the standard of therapy in the prophylaxis of bacterial infections in cirrhotic patients with gastrointestinal hemorrhage. However, during the last years, the epidemiology of bacterial infections in cirrhosis has changed, ..
- Gastroprotective effects of Corchorus olitorius leaf extract against ethanol-induced gastric mucosal hemorrhagic lesions in ratsRami Al Batran
Center of Studies for Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, University Technology MARA, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 28:1321-9. 2013..This study aimed to evaluate the gastroprotective effect of an ethanolic extract of C. olitorius against ethanol-induced gastric ulcers in adult Sprague Dawley rats...
- Suboptimal gastroprotective coverage of NSAID use and the risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding and ulcers: an observational study using three European databasesEva M van Soest
Department of Medical Informatics, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gut 60:1650-9. 2011..It is unknown to what extent the protective effect is influenced by therapy adherence...
- Clinical features and treatment outcomes of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in patients with cirrhosisYeon Seok Seo
Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University College of Medicine, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 23:635-43. 2008..3% and 25.9%, respectively. Survival of patients with variceal bleeding seems to be remarkably improved than previous reports, which may suggest the advances in hemostatic methods for control of variceal hemorrhage...
- Red blood cell transfusion practice in patients presenting with acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding: a survey of 815 UK cliniciansVipul Jairath
NHS Blood and Transplant and Translational Gastroenterology Unit, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Transfusion 51:1940-8. 2011..We aimed to survey UK clinicians about their RBC transfusion practice in AUGIB...
- Risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding with oral bisphosphonates and non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a case-control studyM Etminan
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:1188-92. 2009..Similarly, the risk of UGB among users of both bisphosphonates and non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in the community is also unknown...
- Angiographic embolization for gastroduodenal hemorrhage: safety, efficacy, and predictors of outcomeGeorge A Poultsides
Department of Surgery, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT, USA
Arch Surg 143:457-61. 2008..To examine the safety, efficacy, and predictors of outcome of angiographic embolization in the management of gastroduodenal hemorrhage...
- Endoscopic band ligation with a water-jet scope for the treatment of colonic diverticular hemorrhageNaoki Ishii
Department of Gastroenterology, St Luke s International Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
Dig Endosc 22:232-5. 2010..EBL with a water-jet scope is considered to be a safe and effective endoscopic treatment for colonic diverticular hemorrhage...
- Effect of bowel preparation with polyethylene glycol on quality of capsule endoscopySung Chul Park
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University Anam Hospital, Korea University College of Medicine, 126 1, Anam Dong 5 Ga, Seongbuk gu, Seoul 136 705, Korea
Dig Dis Sci 56:1769-75. 2011..The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of the method of bowel preparation on the quality of visualization and on transit time...
- Dieulafoy's lesion: current trends in diagnosis and managementM Baxter
Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery and Training Unit, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 92:548-54. 2010..Its serious nature makes it necessary to include it in the differential diagnosis of obscure GI bleeding. The aim of this study was to review the current trends in the diagnosis and management of Dieulafoy's lesion...
- Acute gastrointestinal bleeding: value of MDCTT Jaeckle
Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospitals of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Abdom Imaging 33:285-93. 2008..This article gives an overview of available diagnostic modalities in assessing gastrointestinal (GI) tract hemorrhage, with a special emphasis on new MDCT technology...
- Urgent capsule endoscopy is useful in severe obscure-overt gastrointestinal bleedingNuno Almeida
Department of Gastroenterology, Coimbra University Hospital, Coimbra, Portugal
Dig Endosc 21:87-92. 2009..With capsule endoscopy (CE) it is possible to examine the entire small bowel. The present study assessed the diagnostic yield of CE in severe obscure-overt gastrointestinal bleeding (OOGIB)...
- Reductions in 28-day mortality following hospital admission for upper gastrointestinal hemorrhageColin Crooks
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, The University of Nottingham, Nottingham City Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Gastroenterology 141:62-70. 2011It is unclear whether mortality from upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage is changing: any differences observed might result from changes in age or comorbidity of patient populations...
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Institute technical review on obscure gastrointestinal bleedingGottumukkala S Raju
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Galveston, Texas, USA
Gastroenterology 133:1697-717. 2007..The paper was approved by the Committee on March 12, 2007, and by the AGA Institute Governing Board on May 19, 2007...
- Prevention and management of gastroesophageal varices and variceal hemorrhage in cirrhosisGuadalupe Garcia-Tsao
Section of Digestive Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine and VA CT Healthcare System, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 102:2086-102. 2007
- Arterial embolotherapy for upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage: outcome assessmentR Aina
Department of Radiology, CHUM--Notre-Dame Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Vasc Interv Radiol 12:195-200. 2001..5 months. CONCLUSION: Arterial embolotherapy for UGI hemorrhage is safe, effective, and durable. Coagulopathy and the use of coils as the only embolic agent were associated with a higher risk of early bleeding recurrence...
- A randomized controlled trial comparing ligation and sclerotherapy as emergency endoscopic treatment added to somatostatin in acute variceal bleedingCandid Villanueva
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 45:560-7. 2006..However, which emergency endoscopic treatment combines better with drugs has not been clarified. This study compares the efficacy and safety of variceal ligation and sclerotherapy as emergency endoscopic treatment added to somatostatin...
- Angiographically negative acute arterial upper and lower gastrointestinal bleeding: incidence, predictive factors, and clinical outcomesJin Hyoung Kim
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 10:384-90. 2009..To evaluate the incidence, predictive factors, and clinical outcomes of angiographically negative acute arterial upper and lower gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding...
- Drug drug interactions between antithrombotic medications and the risk of gastrointestinal bleedingJoseph A Delaney
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 177:347-51. 2007..We assessed whether antithrombotic drug combinations increased the risk of such bleeding in a general practice population...
- Upper gastrointestinal bleeding in a Brazilian hospital: a retrospective study of endoscopic recordsCyrla Zaltman
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Arq Gastroenterol 39:74-80. 2002..Aims - To assess the clinical characteristics, endoscopic accuracy, treatment efficiency and clinical outcome of patients admitted to the endoscopic unit with upper gastrointestinal bleeding...
- Obscure gastrointestinal bleedingJonathan A Leighton
Standards of Practice Committee of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 58:650-5. 2003..Further controlled clinical studies are needed to clarify aspects of this statement, and revision may be necessary as new data appear. Clinical consideration may justify a course of action at variance to these recommendations...
- Adherence to gastroprotection and the risk of NSAID-related upper gastrointestinal ulcers and haemorrhageE M van Soest
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26:265-75. 2007..Upper gastrointestinal (UGI) complications are a well-recognized risk of NSAID treatment, requiring preventive measures in high-risk patients. Adherence to gastroprotective agents (GPAs) in NSAID users has been suggested to be suboptimal...
- Cirrhosis and bleeding: the need for very early managementDelphine Nidegger
Institut de Santé Publique Faculté de Médecine de Poitiers, Poitiers, France
J Hepatol 39:509-14. 2003..In a prospective cohort study in which the choice of prophylactic therapy was left to each practitioner, we followed cirrhotic patients with medium/large varices to determine factors predictive of bleeding and death...
- Outcome of patients with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding after capsule endoscopy: report of 100 consecutive casesMarco Pennazio
Division of Gastroenterology, S Giovanni Antica Sede Hospital, Turin, Italy
Gastroenterology 126:643-53. 2004..However, the diagnostic yield of this technique has not been adequately studied. We evaluated sensitivity and specificity of CE and the outcome after CE in patients with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding...
- Acute massive gastrointestinal bleeding: detection and localization with arterial phase multi-detector row helical CTWoong Yoon
Department of Radiology, Chonnam National University Hospital, Chonnam National University Medical School, 8 Hak Dong, Dong Gu, Gwangju 501 757, Republic of Korea
Radiology 239:160-7. 2006..To prospectively evaluate accuracy of arterial phase multi-detector row helical computed tomography (CT) for detection and localization of acute massive gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding, with angiography as reference standard...
- Changing trends in the epidemiology and clinical outcome of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in a defined geographical area in GreeceGeorge J Theocharis
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital, School of Medicine, Patras, Greece
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:128-33. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate changes in clinico-epidemiologic characteristics of patients who presented with AUGIB during the last 10 years...
- A randomized trial of endoscopic treatment of acute gastric variceal hemorrhage: N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate injection versus band ligationPen Chung Tan
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Veterans General Hospital Taipei and National Yang Ming University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatology 43:690-7. 2006..Severe complications attributable to these two treatments were rare. In conclusion, the efficacy of GVL to control active GVH appears not different to GVO, but GVO is associated with a lower GV rebleeding rate...
- A prospective study of colonoscopy practice in the UK today: are we adequately prepared for national colorectal cancer screening tomorrow?C J A Bowles
Department of Gastroenterology, Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street, London NW3 2QG, UK
Gut 53:277-83. 2004..To study the availability and quality of adult and paediatric colonoscopy in three National Health Service (NHS) regions...
- Value of symptoms and additional diagnostic tests for colorectal cancer in primary care: systematic review and meta-analysisPetra Jellema
Department of General Practice, EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT Amsterdam, Netherlands
BMJ 340:c1269. 2010..To summarise available evidence on diagnostic tests that might help primary care physicians to identify patients with an increased risk for colorectal cancer among those consulting for non-acute lower abdominal symptoms...
- Acute upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage in west of Scotland: case ascertainment studyO Blatchford
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
BMJ 315:510-4. 1997..To determine the incidence and case fatality of acute upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage in the west of Scotland and to identify associated factors...
- Endoscopic ligation compared with sclerotherapy for bleeding esophageal varices in children with extrahepatic portal venous obstructionShowkat Ali Zargar
Department of Gastroenterology, Sher I Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir, India
Hepatology 36:666-72. 2002..4% vs. 10%, P =.67). In conclusion, variceal band ligation in children is a safe and effective technique that achieves variceal eradication more quickly, with a lower rebleeding rate and fewer complications compared with sclerotherapy...
- Inhibition of serotonin reuptake by antidepressants and upper gastrointestinal bleeding in elderly patients: retrospective cohort studyC van Walraven
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1Y 4E9
BMJ 323:655-8. 2001..To determine the association between inhibition of serotonin reuptake by antidepressants and upper gastrointestinal bleeding...
- ASGE Guideline: the role of endoscopy in the management of variceal hemorrhage, updated July 2005Waqar Qureshi
Gastrointest Endosc 62:651-5. 2005
- Effectiveness of combined pharmacologic and ligation therapy in high-risk patients with acute esophageal variceal bleedingSalvador Augustin
Liver Unit Department of Internal Medicine, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
Am J Gastroenterol 106:1787-95. 2011..The effectiveness of currently recommended standard therapy (drugs plus endoscopic ligation) for different risk subgroups and the validity of available risk criteria in clinical practice are unknown...
- A simple risk score accurately predicts in-hospital mortality, length of stay, and cost in acute upper GI bleedingJohn R Saltzman
Gastroenterology Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 74:1215-24. 2011..Although the early use of a risk stratification score in upper GI bleeding is recommended, existing risk scores are not widely used in clinical practice...
- A risk score to predict need for treatment for upper-gastrointestinal haemorrhageO Blatchford
Department of Public Health, University of Glasgow, UK
Lancet 356:1318-21. 2000..We therefore developed and prospectively validated a risk score to identify a patient's need for treatment...
- [Effect of endoscopic sclerotherapy using N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate in patients with gastric variceal bleeding]Jae Woo Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, Wonju, Republic of Korea
Korean J Hepatol 12:394-403. 2006..This study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of n-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate injection therapy for patients suffering with gastric variceal bleeding...
- Trends in acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding in dialysis patientsJu Yeh Yang
Division of Nephrology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:495-506. 2012..Although 30-day mortality related to upper GI bleeding declined, perhaps reflecting improvements in medical care, the burden on the ESRD population remains substantial...
- Acute management of refractory variceal bleeding in liver cirrhosis by self-expanding metal stentsA Dechene
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Digestion 85:185-91. 2012..With this study, we aimed to evaluate the implantation of self-expanding metal stents (SEMS) for the management of therapy-refractory variceal bleeding...
- Diagnostic yield of capsule endoscopy vs. double-balloon endoscopy for patients who have undergone total enteroscopy with obscure gastrointestinal bleedingTakayoshi Shishido
Department of Gastroenteroogy and Metabolism, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Science, Hiroshima, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 59:955-9. 2012..We compared CE- and DBE-based detection of small-bowel lesions in patients with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding (OGIB) who underwent total enteroscopy by both CE and DBE...
- [Contribution of coloscopy to diagnosis of rectal bleeding in Dakar (Senegal)]M Mbengue
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, CHU Aristide Le Dantec Dakar, Senegal
Med Trop (Mars) 69:286-8. 2009..The purpose of this report is to describe lesions discovered by coloscopy in patients assessed for rectal bleeding in Dakar, Senegal...
- Defining upper gastrointestinal bleeding from linked primary and secondary care data and the effect on occurrence and 28 day mortalityColin John Crooks
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, The University of Nottingham, Clinical Sciences Building 2, City Hospital, Nottingham, NG5 1PB, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 12:392. 2012....
- Predicting poor outcome from acute upper gastrointestinal hemorrhageThomas F Imperiale
Department of Medicine, Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, The Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:1291-6. 2007..Uncertainty about the outcome of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding often results in a longer-than-necessary hospital stay...
- Gastric varices: an updated review of managementShayan Irani
Digestive Disease Institute, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98111, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 45:133-48. 2011..We suggest an algorithm for the management based on the etiology of the gastric varices, severity of the underlying liver disease, and local availability and expertise...
- Serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants and abnormal bleeding: a review for clinicians and a reconsideration of mechanismsChittaranjan Andrade
Department of Psychopharmacology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore 560 029, India
J Clin Psychiatry 71:1565-75. 2010....
- A metaanalysis of severe upper gastrointestinal complications of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugsJoshua J Ofman
Southern California Evidence Based Practice Center, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Health System, Beverly Hills 90212, USA
J Rheumatol 29:804-12. 2002..We synthesized the published and unpublished evidence to determine the least biased estimates of the risks of perforations, ulcers, and bleeds (PUB) associated with NSAID use from all study designs and all languages...
- Helicobacter pylori increases the risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in patients taking low-dose aspirinA Lanas
Service of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Lozano Blesa, Zaragoza, Spain
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:779-86. 2002..To evaluate the role of Helicobacter pylori infection and other clinical factors in the risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding in patients taking low-dose aspirin...
- Urgent endoscopy is associated with lower mortality in high-risk but not low-risk nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleedingL G Lim
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, National University Health System, Singapore
Endoscopy 43:300-6. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine whether esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) performed sooner than the currently recommended 24 h in high-risk patients presenting with NVUGIB is associated with lower all-cause in-hospital mortality...
- The effects of cefazolin on cirrhotic patients with acute variceal hemorrhage after endoscopic interventionsHuang Wei Xu
Division of Hepato Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, 123, Ta Pei Road, Niao Sung, Kaohsiung 833, Taiwan
Surg Endosc 25:2911-8. 2011..guidelines recommend that antibiotic prophylaxis should be instituted in any patient with cirrhosis and gastrointestinal hemorrhage, and that oral norfloxacin, intravenous ciprofloxacin, and ceftriaxone are preferable...
- Trends in management and outcomes of acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding: 1993-2003Laura E Targownik
Section of Gastroenterology, Division of Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:1459-1466. 2006..There have been numerous innovations in the prevention and management of ANVUGIB in recent years, although the effect of these innovations on ANVUGIB incidence and outcomes is unknown...
- Impact of aspirin, NSAIDs, warfarin, corticosteroids and SSRIs on the site and outcome of non-variceal upper and lower gastrointestinal bleedingKristina Ahsberg
Department of Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 45:1404-15. 2010....
- Prokinetics in acute upper GI bleeding: a meta-analysisAlan N Barkun
Division of Gastroenterology, McGill University Health Center, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Gastrointest Endosc 72:1138-45. 2010..Recent data suggest that administration of prokinetics before gastroscopy may be useful in patients with acute upper GI bleeding (UGIB). Published studies are limited in the number of subjects evaluated, and the conclusions are disparate...
- Hospitalized incidence and case fatality for upper gastrointestinal bleeding from 1999 to 2007: a record linkage studyL A Button
Swansea University, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 33:64-76. 2011..Upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding is the most common emergency managed by gastroenterologists...
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient measurement in patients with liver cirrhosis: a correlation with disease severity and variceal bleedingVilma Silkauskaite
Department of Gastroenterology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Eiveniu 2, Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 45:8-13. 2009..The aim of present study was to evaluate relationships between degree of portal hypertension, severity of the disease, and bleeding status in patients with liver cirrhosis...
- Long-term outcomes of acute gastric variceal bleeding in 48 patients following treatment with cyanoacrylatePetruska Marques
Department of Gastroenterology, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Division, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Dig Dis Sci 53:544-50. 2008..1) Study the effectiveness of intravariceal injection of n-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate to treat acute gastric variceal (GV) bleeding and (2) study the impact of the type of GV and hepatic function on endoscopic hemostasis and mortality outcomes...
- Therapeutic barium enema for bleeding colonic diverticula: four case series and review of the literatureJun ichi Iwamoto
Department of Gastroenterology, Tokyo Medical University Kasumigaura Hospital, Ibaraki 300 0395, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 14:6413-7. 2008..These patients remained free of re-bleeding in the follow-up period (range 17-35 mo) after the therapy. We report the four case series of therapeutic barium enema and reviewed the literature pertinent to this procedure...
- Risk factors for colonic diverticular bleeding: a Westernized community based hospital studyAntje Jansen
Department of Gastroenterology, St Elisabeth Hospital, PO Box 580, 46225 Dorsten, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 15:457-61. 2009..To evaluate the risk factors-other than nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs-for colonic diverticular bleeding in a westernized population...
- Clinical predictors of poor outcomes among patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding in EuropeA Lanas
Gastroenterology, University of Zaragoza, Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Clinico Universitario Lozano Blesa, C Domingo Miral s n, Zaragoza, Spain
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 33:1225-33. 2011..Despite advances in endoscopic and pharmacological treatment during the past two decades, the incidence of mortality associated with NVUGIB has remained relatively constant...
- Portal hypertension: diagnosis and management with particular reference to variceal hemorrhageWilliam Carey
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Dig Dis 12:25-32. 2011..Mortality from portal hypertensive bleeding has been diminished by use of these interventions...
- Long-term results of balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric variceal bleeding and risky gastric varices: a 10-year experienceTomohiko Akahoshi
Departments of Surgery and Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:1702-9. 2008..We investigated the long-term effects of B-RTO on rebleeding, prevention of first bleeding, mortality and occurrence of risky esophageal varices (EVx)...
- Topical Ankaferd Blood Stopper administration to bleeding gastrointestinal carcinomas decreases tumor vascularizationNesrin Turhan
Am J Gastroenterol 104:2874-7. 2009
- Assessment of the risk factors for colonic diverticular hemorrhageAtsuo Yamada
Department of Gastroenterology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Dis Colon Rectum 51:116-20. 2008..Studies about risk factors, other than nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, for colonic diverticular hemorrhage are limited. We conducted the present study to elucidate their significance as a risk factor...
- Outcomes associated with deep enteroscopyLauren B Gerson
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5202, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 19:481-96. 2009..Proposed changes to the current algorithm for management of obscure bleeding are suggested...
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration for gastric varices: the relationship between the clinical outcome and gastrorenal shunt occlusionKenichi Katoh
Department of Radiology, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
BMC Med Imaging 10:2. 2010..The purpose of this study is to retrospectively evaluate the technical aspects of B-RTO and the recurrence of gastric varices after treatment with this procedure...
- A retrospective analysis of emergency double-balloon enteroscopy for small-bowel bleedingK Monkemuller
Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, and Infectious Diseases, Marienhospital, Bottrop, Germany
Endoscopy 41:715-7. 2009..This study is a first step in establishing the concept of emergency DBE for patients with suspected small-bowel bleeding...
- Effect of portal hypertension in the small bowel: an endoscopic approachPedro Figueiredo
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospitais da Universidade de Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
Dig Dis Sci 53:2144-50. 2008..The effects of portal hypertension in the small bowel are largely unknown. The aim of the study was to prospectively assess portal hypertension manifestations in the small bowel...
- Embolization for non-variceal upper gastrointestinal tract haemorrhage: a systematic reviewS Mirsadraee
Department of Radiology, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Clin Radiol 66:500-9. 2011..To assess the published evidence on the endovascular treatment of non-variceal upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage...
- Artificial neural network as a predictive instrument in patients with acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal hemorrhageAnanya Das
Divisions of Gastroenterology, Mayo Clinic Arizona, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Gastroenterology 134:65-74. 2008Triage of patients with acute upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage (UGIH) has traditionally required urgent upper endoscopy. The aim of this study is to evaluate the use of artificial neural network for nonendoscopic triage.
- Occult and obscure gastrointestinal bleeding: causes and clinical managementDon C Rockey
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 8887, USA
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:265-79. 2010..In this Review the causes, diagnostic evaluation and treatment of occult and obscure gastrointestinal bleeding are discussed...
- Rectal bleeding: epidemiology, associated risk factors, and health care seeking behaviour: a population-based studyG D Eslick
School of Public Health, The University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Colorectal Dis 11:921-6. 2009..Moreover, there is little information as to whether individuals seek health care for this problem. This study aimed to determine the prevalence of rectal bleeding and levels of healthcare seeking amongst an Australian population...
- A standardized injection technique and regimen ensures success and safety of N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate injection for the treatment of gastric fundal varices (with videos)Stefan Seewald
Department of Interdisciplinary Endoscopy, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 68:447-54. 2008..N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate has been successfully used for the treatment of bleeding from gastric fundal varices (FV). However, significant rebleeding rates and serious complications including embolism have been reported...
- Diagnostic yield and therapeutic impact of single-balloon enteroscopy: series of 106 casesMohan Ramchandani
Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:1631-8. 2009..This prospective study was done in a tertiary care center to evaluate the feasibility, complications, diagnostic and therapeutic yield of SBE in patients with suspected small bowel disorders...
- Multi-detector row CT of patients with acute intestinal bleeding: a new perspective using multiplanar and MIP reformations from submillimeter isotropic voxelsFlorent Duchat
Department of Abdominal Imaging, Hôpital Lariboisière AP HP GHU Nord and Université Paris, France
Abdom Imaging 35:296-305. 2010....
- Transfusion strategies for acute upper gastrointestinal bleedingCandid Villanueva
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital de Sant Pau, Autonomous University, Barcelona, Spain
N Engl J Med 368:11-21. 2013..The hemoglobin threshold for transfusion of red cells in patients with acute gastrointestinal bleeding is controversial. We compared the efficacy and safety of a restrictive transfusion strategy with those of a liberal transfusion strategy...
- Enhanced Risk Adjustment Using Laboratory Test and Pharmacy DataAmresh Hanchate; Fiscal Year: 2013..congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and alcoholic hepatitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, hip fracture, pneumonia, acute renal failure and acute stroke...
- ESTROGENS AND VITAMIN A ROLE IN DISEASE PREVENTIONAnnlia Paganini Hill; Fiscal Year: 1991..4) Assessing the effects of life-style practices on other chronic diseases (including gastrointestinal hemorrhage and ulcers, renal failure, benign prostatic hypertrophy, benign breast disease, inflammatory bowel ..
- The Molecular Pathogenesis of Hookworm AnemiaMichael Cappello; Fiscal Year: 2001..a central role in the pathogenesis of hookworm anemia by facilitating blood feeding and exacerbating gastrointestinal hemorrhage. The mechanisms of action of the hookworm factor Xa inhibitor will be characterized using in vitro ..
- The Molecular Pathogenesis of Hookworm AnemiaMichael Cappello; Fiscal Year: 2005..a central role in the pathogenesis of hookworm anemia by facilitating blood feeding and exacerbating gastrointestinal hemorrhage. The mechanism of action of the hookworm factor Xa inhibitor will be characterized using in vitro ..
- Outcomes and Care Practices in Lower Intestinal BleedingLisa Strate; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will also provide the skills and data that are critical for planning future investigations. ..
- Literacy and Mortality Among Elderly PersonsMichael Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Health Outcomes for Uninsured Older Adults-IIDavid Baker; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Dose-Volume Modeling of Late Rectal and Bladder ToxicitySusan Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect the results of our analyses to play an important role in furthering the development of conformal techniques in RT of the prostate and other pelvic sites. ..
- PHOSPHOLIPIDS AND ULCER PROTECTIONLenard Lichtenberger; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Clinical Studies with Phospholipid-Associated NSAIDsLenard Lichtenberger; Fiscal Year: 2004..i.d.) with diclofenac-PC, except in this case we will add a third arm of the study in which the subjects are administered the COX- inhibitor, Celecoxib, at a dose (200 mg b.i.d.) having equivalent therapeutic efficacy to diclofenac. ..
- The Role of Polycystins in the Regulation of Intracellular Calcium and Vascular RQi Qian; Fiscal Year: 2007..The information gained from the proposed study will greatly enhance our understanding in the pathogenesis of vascular complications in ADPKD and provide potential areas for therapeutic targets. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Assessment of Nicotine Metabolism Among Underserved Pregnant Women from NE SCRIPTDonna Parker; Fiscal Year: 2007..PHS 398/2590 (Rev. 04/06) Page Continuation Format Page [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Vascular Complications of Polycystic Kidney DiseaseQi Qian; Fiscal Year: 2007..This period of laboratory based study, plus the formalized career development program, is designed to train the candidate as a physician scientist with a unique expertise in vascular aspects of ADPKD. ..
- Training Program in Academic GastroenterologyGregory Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2006..After that, 1 or 2 subsequent years may be offered to selected trainees, to be supported by other individual or institutional training grants, or grants to which the trainee will apply during his/her official training period. ..
- FACTORS IN THE PREVENTION OF TOXIC LIVER INJURYThomas Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2008..The studies will clarify why expression of certain proteins fall during the acute phase response. ..
- Causal Models for CVD Use by Aspirin and Vitamin E in the Women's Health StudyNancy Cook; Fiscal Year: 2008..The findings of reduced risk of CVD mortality, however, as well as effects by age, should be explored further to clarify the public health message. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Portal HypertensionVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- H. PYLORI AND IL-1Beta IN ESOPHAGEAL ONCOGENESISFritz Francois; Fiscal Year: 2008..From these studies, both the microbial contribution and the host genotype contribution to adenocarcinoma risk should be able to be assessed, as well as to begin to define relevant cellular pathways. ..
- Pilot study on the safety and efficacy of ciprofloxacin for prophylactic preventiHans Herfarth; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PATHOGENESIS OF HEPATIC FIBROSIS AND PORTAL HYPERTENSIONDon C Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have direct relevance to human liver disease and will lead to new approaches for the treatment of hepatic fibrosis and portal hypertension as well as other forms of fibrosing injury. ..
- Health Literacy and Self-Management in Heart FailureMichael P Pignone; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will also examine differences in the proportion of patients achieving appropriate HF-related self-care knowledge and behaviors, and will examine the effect of TTG for patients with adequate and inadequate literacy separately. ..
- Market Competition and the Quality of Home Health ServicesDANIEL E POLSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Regulation of Stellate Cell ContractilityDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2008..Physiologic endpoints will be an important focus. The proposed studies will shed light on the molecular basis of stellate cell contractility and moreover have direct relevance to human liver disease. ..
- CEA in CTN: Bup/Nal treatment for opioid addicted youthDaniel Polsky; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Randomized Controlled Testing of Osteoporosis EducationDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2006..A multi-disciplinary Training Advisory Board will review the applicants progress regularly to ensure that the proposed training goals are met. ..
- PROSPECTIVE COMPARISON OF COLONIC IMAGING TESTDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2001..The information gained from this study is expected to form the basis for national policy and decision making with reward to colonic imaging tests. ..
- THERAPY FOR GASTROINTESTINAL DISORDERSElizabeth Dial; Fiscal Year: 2002..Development of this therapeutic potential for rhLF will fulfill a crucial need for a way to safely administer NSAIDs. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: NOT AVAILABLE ..
- Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase & Portal HypertensionVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Nitric Oxide and the LiverDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2003..The dates of the entire AASLD scientific meeting are November 3rd to November 5th. The participants will be invited speakers and attendees of the annual 2002 AASLD meeting. ..
- Why is Cardiac Risk Increased in Rheumatiod ArthritisDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2002..ability to control for known cardiovascular risk factors, the extensive medication information allowing for us to explore key hypotheses regarding corticosteroid exposure, and the attempt to simultaneously control for disease severity ..
- Statistical Methods for Cost Research in Alcohol StudiesDaniel Polsky; Fiscal Year: 2004..By developing the methodology of cost analysis we aim to improve the policy relevance and interpretability of economic evidence in trial based data. ..
- Pain Medication Use & Risk Factors for Opioid DependenceDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our goal is to use the results of the proposed research to inform a future intervention to improve opioid prescribing within this large pharmacy benefits program. ..
- MULTICENTER RANDOMIZED TRIAL OF DSRS VERSUS TIPSJohn Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..The extension of this trial, will provide the most comprehensive and longest follow-up for these two shunt procedures for control of variceal bleeding. ..
- Failure of FasL Mediated Pathways in Tumor AngiogenesisVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2006..These insights may lead to novel and effective therapeutic strategies that target this pathway to prevent angiogenesis, and thereby prevent colorectal tumor development growth and spread. ..
- Large Database Research for Cancer Prevention & ControlGregory Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Inhibition of TNF in Patients with Alcoholic HepatitisVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- STUDIES OF BARRETTS ESOPHAGUSGareth Dulai; Fiscal Year: 2005..The applicant has no comparable source of salary for the proposed period of research and training. ..
- CLAIMS DATA TO MEASURE CANCER SURVEILLANCE PROCEDURESGregory Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- OBSERVATIONAL COHORT STUDY OF SODIUM, WEIGHT AND CVDNancy Cook; Fiscal Year: 2003..This cohort provides a unique resource to address the impact in a normotensive population of salt restriction and weight change on subsequent cardiovascular events. ..
- Insulin Resistance and Adenomas of the ColorectumTheodore Levin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Osteoporosis in Women with Rheumatoid ArthritisDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2006..This epidemiologic data will inform future trials of osteoporosis treatments among patients with RA. As well, the study cohort will comprise one of the largest RA registries with an explicit plan to examine osteoporosis. ..
- Pharmacogenetics and Antithrombotic TherapyBrian Gage; Fiscal Year: 2003..Using high performance liquid chromatography, we will measure the levels of the 2 enantiomers of warfarin and test Hypothesis 4: Clearance of S-warfarin will be significantly decreased in the presence of 2C9 SNPs. ..
- REG OF NITRIC OXIDE PRODUCT IN THE HEPATIC CIRCULATIONVijay Shah; Fiscal Year: 2002..Defining the mechanisms that regulate nitric oxide production in SEC may lead to therapeutic options whereby NO activity may be pharmacologically or genetically modulated and benefit patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension. ..