Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inflammation of a DIVERTICULUM or diverticula.
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- Aerobic and anaerobic microbiology in intra-abdominal infections associated with diverticulitisI Brook
Department of Infectious Diseases, Naval Hospital, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Med Microbiol 49:827-30. 2000The aerobic and anaerobic microbiology of intra-abdominal infections associated with diverticulitis was studied in 110 specimens from the peritoneal cavity after intestinal perforation and in 22 specimens from abdominal abscesses...
- The natural history of diverticulitis: fact and theoryMartin H Floch
Digestive Disease Section, Yale University School of Medicine Norwalk Hospital, 30 Stevens Street, Suite E, Norwalk, CT 08650, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 38:S2-7. 2004..colon immune response and permits a low-grade chronic inflammatory process that precedes a full-blown acute diverticulitis. Pathophysiologic studies reveal that complications do not occur until there is microperforation through the ..
- Complicated diverticulitis: is it time to rethink the rules?Jennifer Chapman
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Surg 242:576-81; discussion 581-3. 2005Much of our knowledge and treatment of complicated diverticulitis (CD) are based on outdated literature reporting mortality rates of 10%...
- Outcomes after medical and surgical treatment of diverticulitis: a systematic review of the available evidenceGeorge Peppas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences AIBS, and Department of Surgery, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1360-8. 2007There is still controversy regarding the appropriate management of diverticulitis of the colon in cases when both surgical and conservative treatment may be an option...
- Epidemiological similarities between appendicitis and diverticulitis suggesting a common underlying pathogenesisEdward H Livingston
Division of Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9156, USA
Arch Surg 146:308-14. 2011Nonperforating appendicitis is primarily a disease of children, and nonperforating diverticulitis affects mostly older adults...
- Epidemiological trends and geographic variation in hospital admissions for diverticulitis in the United StatesGeoffrey C Nguyen
Mount Sinai Hospital Division of Gastroenterology, University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
World J Gastroenterol 17:1600-5. 2011To characterize the increasing incidence and geographic variation of acute diverticulitis.
- Appendiceal diverticulitis: diagnosis and differentiation from usual acute appendicitis using computed tomographyKyoung Ho Lee
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam si, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
J Comput Assist Tomogr 31:763-9. 2007To describe the computed tomographic findings of appendiceal diverticulitis.
- Multicentre observational study of the natural history of left-sided acute diverticulitisG A Binda
Department of General Surgery, Galliera Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Br J Surg 99:276-85. 2012The natural history of acute diverticulitis (AD) is still unclear. This study investigated the recurrence rate, and the risks of emergency surgery, associated stoma and death following initial medical or surgical treatment of AD.
- Patterns of recurrence in patients with acute diverticulitisT Eglinton
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery, Christchurch Hospital, Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand
Br J Surg 97:952-7. 2010The natural history of acute diverticulitis remains unclear, with the role of prophylactic surgery following conservatively managed diverticulitis increasingly controversial...
- Obesity increases the risks of diverticulitis and diverticular bleedingLisa L Strate
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Gastroenterology 136:115-122.e1. 2009Studies of obesity and diverticular complications are limited. We assessed the relationship between body mass index (BMI), waist circumference, and waist-to-hip ratio and diverticulitis and diverticular bleeding.
- The timing of elective colectomy in diverticulitis: a decision analysisLeon Salem
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 6410, USA
J Am Coll Surg 199:904-12. 2004..We used decision and cost analysis to simulate the clinical and economic outcomes after recovery from an episode of nonsurgically treated diverticulitis to determine the preferable management strategy.
- Generalized peritonitis due to perforated diverticulitis: Hartmann's procedure or primary anastomosis?Loris Trenti
Department of Surgery, Colorectal Unit, Bellvitge University Hospital, University of Barcelona and IDIBELL, Bellvitge Biomedical Investigation Institute, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, 08907 Barcelona, Spain
Int J Colorectal Dis 26:377-84. 2011..procedure (HP) still remains the most frequently performed procedure for diffuse peritonitis due to perforated diverticulitis. The aims of this study were to assess the feasibility and safety of resection with primary anastomosis (RPA) ..
- CT and clinical features of acute diverticulitis in an urban U.S. population: rising frequency in young, obese adultsEram Zaidi
Department of Radiology, University of Maryland Medical Center, 22 S Greene St, Baltimore, MD 21201 1595, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:689-94. 2006On the basis of our experience in recent years, we hypothesized that acute diverticulitis occurs more frequently in young adult patients (age, < or = 50 years) now than previously recognized...
- Impact of primary resection on the outcome of patients with perforated diverticulitisVidhan Chandra
Departments of General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Arch Surg 139:1221-4. 2004..This study investigates the impact of primary resection on operative mortality, identifies predictors of mortality, and compares the results with those of our earlier experience...
- Acute ulcerative jejunal diverticulitis: case report of an uncommon entityWojciech Staszewicz
Service de Chirurgie Viscerale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
World J Gastroenterol 14:6265-7. 2008..The first jejunal loop showed clear signs of jejunal diverticulitis. Primary segmental jejunum resection with end-to-end anastomosis was performed...
- Morbid obesity and diverticulitis: results from the ACS NSQIP datasetMatthew B Bailey
Department of Surgery, University of Kentucky Lexington, KY
J Am Coll Surg 217:874-80.e1. 2013We examined the relationship between morbid obesity, clinical presentation, and perioperative outcomes in patients offered surgery for diverticulitis.
- Killian-Jamieson diverticulitis with cervical cellulitis: report of a caseMasato Kitazawa
Department of Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, 3 1 1 Asahi, Matsumoto, 390 8621, Japan
Surg Today 40:257-61. 2010..Cervical cellulitis due to K-J diverticulitis is also highly exceptional...
- Sigmoid diverticulitis. Longitudinal analysis of 222 patients with a minimal follow up of 5 yearsP Frileux
Department of Digestive Surgery, Hopital Foch, Université Versailles Saint Quentin, Suresnes Cedex, France
Colorectal Dis 12:674-80. 2010The surgical treatment of severe attacks of sigmoid diverticulitis and the indications for prophylactic surgery are currently matters of debate...
- Outpatient treatment of acute diverticulitis: rates and predictors of failureDavid A Etzioni
Department of Colorectal Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 53:861-5. 2010Many patients with acute diverticulitis can be managed as outpatients, but the success rate of this approach has not been thoroughly studied...
- Long-term risk of acute diverticulitis among patients with incidental diverticulosis found during colonoscopyKamyar Shahedi
University of California Los Angeles Veteran s Affairs Center for Outcomes Research and Education, Los Angeles, California
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:1609-13. 2013..Guidelines state that these patients have a 10% to 25% lifetime risk of developing acute diverticulitis. However, this value was determined based on limited data, collected before population-based colonoscopy, so ..
- Laparoscopic sigmoidectomy for fistulized diverticulitisS R Laurent
Department of Abdominal Surgery, CHU Sart Tilman B35, Liege, Belgium
Dis Colon Rectum 48:148-52. 2005..Few studies report results of laparoscopic surgery in complicated diverticulitis. This study was designed to analyze the results of laparoscopic sigmoidectomy in patients with fistulized ..
- Damage control strategy for the management of perforated diverticulitis with generalized peritonitis: laparoscopic lavage and drainage vs. laparoscopic Hartmann's procedureSong Liang
The Texas Endosurgery Institute, 4242 E Southcross Blvd, Suite 1, San Antonio, TX 78222, USA
Surg Endosc 26:2835-42. 2012..lavage and drainage (LLD) with laparoscopic Hartmann's procedure (LHP) in the management of perforated diverticulitis and to investigate a safer and more effective laparoscopic method for managing acute perforated diverticulitis ..
- Two cases of Ruminococcus gnavus bacteremia associated with diverticulitisSanne G K Hansen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Lillebaelt Hospital, Vejle, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 51:1334-6. 2013..Finally, the bacteria were identified by 16S rRNA gene sequencing...
- Laparoscopic versus open sigmoid resection for diverticulitis: long-term results of a prospective, randomized trialPascal Gervaz
Department of Surgery, Geneva University Hospital and Medical School, Geneva, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 25:3373-8. 2011Elective laparoscopic sigmoid resection for diverticulitis has proven short-term benefits, but little data are available from prospective randomized trials regarding long-term outcome, quality of life, and functional results.
- Increased risk for irritable bowel syndrome after acute diverticulitisErica Cohen
Department of Gastroenterology, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:1614-9. 2013..frequently also have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), but there are no longitudinal data to associate acute diverticulitis with subsequent IBS, functional bowel disorders, or related emotional distress...
- Assessment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in uncomplicated acute diverticulitis of the colonAntonio Tursi
Digestive Endoscopy Unit, Lorenzo Bonomo Hospital, Galleria Pisani 4, 70031 Andria, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 11:2773-6. 2005..Acute diverticulitis is affected by some similar symptoms and bacterial colonic overgrowth...
- Small bowel diverticulitis of the Roux loop after gastric bypassAntonio Iannelli
Service de Chirurgie Digestive et Transplantation Hépatique, Hopital Archet, Nice, France
Obes Surg 16:1249-51. 2006..We report a 48-year-old morbidly obese woman who presented 2 months after laparoscopic RYGBP with a perforated diverticulum of the Roux loop. The diagnostic and therapeutic implications are discussed...
- Trends in diverticulitis management in the United States from 2002 to 2007Hossein Masoomi
University of California, Irvine, Department of Surgery and Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 333 City Blvd West, Ste 850, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Arch Surg 146:400-6. 2011To demonstrate the recent trends of admission and surgical management for diverticulitis in the United States.
- Complicated sigmoid diverticulitis--Hartmann's procedure or primary anastomosis?T Herzog
Department of Surgery, St Josef Hospital, Ruhr University Bochum, School of Medicine, Germany
Acta Chir Belg 111:378-83. 2011Diverticular disease of the colon is a common condition in developed countries. For perforated diverticulitis Hartmann's procedure is a safe and quick treatment option. But intestinal restoration needs further interventions...
- [Perforated jejunal divertikula - a rare differential diagnosis of acute abdominal pain]M Kleemann
Klinik fur Chirurgie, Universitätsklinikum Schleswig Holstein Campus Lübeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck
Zentralbl Chir 131:521-4. 2006..OPERATION: Diagnostic laparotomy showed a 6 cm inflammatory tumor with covered perforation of a jejunal diverticula at the 4th intestinal loop distal the ligament of Treitz. We performed a segmental resection...
- Frequency, sensitivity, and specificity of individual signs of diverticulitis on thin-section helical CT with colonic contrast material: experience with 312 casesMoritz F Kircher
Department of Radiology, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, 32 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:1313-8. 2002The aim of our study was to determine the frequency, sensitivity, and specificity of the individual signs of diverticulitis using helical CT with colonic contrast material.
- Jejunal diverticulitis with localized perforation diagnosed by ultrasound: a case reportAlexis D Kelekis
Department of Radiology, Geneva University Hospital, 24 Rue Michelli du Crest, 1208 Geneva, Switzerland
Eur Radiol 12:S78-81. 2002A rare case of a proximal jejunal diverticulitis is presented. The diagnosis was initially suggested by US and confirmed by CT...
- Diverticulosis and diverticulitis of the appendixBadr AbdullGaffar
Histopathology Department, Dubai Hospital, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Int J Surg Pathol 17:231-7. 2009..When symptomatic, it is usually complicated by acute or chronic diverticulitis with or without acute appendicitis...
- A rare presentation of appendiceal diverticulitis associated with pelvic pseudocystHirotaka Niwa
Department of Surgery, Yaizu City Hospital, 1000 Dobara, Yaizu City, Shizuoka 425 8505, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 14:1293-5. 2008..Gynecological disorders such as endometriosis or lutein cyst rupture was denied. These findings represent appendiceal diverticulitis. We discuss the clinical features of the disease and its relation with the pelvic pseudocyst.
- Surgical management of cecal diverticulitis: is diverticulectomy enough?B Papaziogas
Second Surgical Clinic of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Fanariou Street 16, 55133 Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:24-7. 2005Cecal diverticulitis is a rare condition in the western population. The optimal management of this condition is still controversial, ranging from conservative antibiotic treatment to aggressive resection...
- Laparoscopic sigmoid resection for diverticulitis decreases major morbidity rates: a randomized control trial: short-term results of the Sigma TrialBastiaan R Klarenbeek
Department of Surgery, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 249:39-44. 2009..trial has compared laparoscopic sigmoid resection (LSR) to open sigmoid resection (OSR) for symptomatic diverticulitis of the sigmoid colon...
- A strangulated Spigelian hernia mimicking diverticulitisF B Rogers
Fletcher Allen Health Care, Department of Surgery, 111 Colchester Avenue, FL 466, Burlington, VT 0540, USA
Hernia 5:51-2. 2001..Reported herein, is the serendipitous discovery of an incarcerated Spigelian hernia that was discovered on a CT scan being performed for presumed diverticulitis.
- Sigmoid diverticulitis in young patients--a more aggressive disease than in older patients?Jorg Peter Ritz
Department of General, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
J Gastrointest Surg 15:667-74. 2011There is controversy over whether sigmoid diverticulitis (SD) is more aggressive with a higher risk of perforation in younger than in older patients...
- Diverticulitis: new frontiers for an old country: risk factors and pathogenesisJoshua R Korzenik
Department of Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, MGH Crohn s and Colitis Center, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:1128-9. 2008The understanding of diverticulitis has advanced little beyond the initial postulates of Burkitt and Painter who proposed that diverticular disease results from a deficiency of dietary fiber...
- [Vesicosigmoid fistulas secondary to diverticulitis: helical CT diagnosis]C Sebastià Cerqueda
l Institut de Diagnòstic per la Imatge Servei de Radiodiagnòstic Secció TC_Body Hospital General Universitari Vall d Hebron Barcelona España
Radiologia 49:343-5. 2007..In our environment, diverticulitis is the most common cause, accounting for approximately one half of all cases...
- Sonographic findings of acute appendiceal diverticulitisTadao Kubota
Department of Surgery Chibanishi General Hospital, 107 1 Kanegasaku Matsudo Chiba 270 2251, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 12:4104-5. 2006Preoperative images of acute appendiceal diverticulitis are rarely reported because of the difficulty of distinguishing appendiceal diverticulitis from other ileocecal diseases like acute appendicitis or cecal diverticulitis...
- Acute sigmoid diverticulitis in young patientsJyrki T Mäkelä
Department of Surgery, Oulu University Hospital, P O Box 22, 90029 OYS, Finland
Hepatogastroenterology 56:1382-7. 2009The natural history of young patients admitted for acute diverticulitis in terms of the virulence of the disease and the need for surgical treatment has remained controversial.
- Use of aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs increases risk for diverticulitis and diverticular bleedingLisa L Strate
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Gastroenterology 140:1427-33. 2011..We examined the influence of aspirin and NSAID use on risk of diverticulitis and diverticular bleeding in a large prospective cohort.
- Complicated small bowel diverticulosis--a case report and literature reviewL Tankova
Clinical Centre of Gastroenterology, Medical University Hospital Queen Joanna, Sofia, Bulgaria
Chirurgia (Bucur) 102:603-6. 2007....
- Missed opportunities for primary repair in complicated acute diverticulitisMalek Tabbara
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Surgery 148:919-24. 2010Complicated acute diverticulitis (CAD) requiring an urgent operation is usually managed by fecal diversion (FD) despite reports suggesting that primary repair (PR) is safe...
- A case of appendiceal diverticulitis, and a review of the literatureD S Heffernan
Department of Surgery, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, 87131, USA
Ir J Med Sci 178:519-21. 2009Appendiceal diverticulitis is a rare presentation, often presenting outside of the classical age grouping for appendicitis...
- CT features of adnexal involvement in patients with diverticulitisVikash S Panghaal
Department of Radiology, Montefiore Medical Center, 111 E 210th St, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 192:963-6. 2009The purpose of this study was to evaluate the CT findings in patients with colosalpingeal fistula complicating diverticulitis.
- Acute diverticulitis with colon perforation in renal transplantationR Dalla Valle
Department of Surgery and Transplantation, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
Transplant Proc 37:2507-10. 2005Acute diverticulitis with colon perforation is a serious condition in transplant recipients...
- Hartmann's colectomy and reversal in diverticulitis: a population-level assessmentLeon Salem
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 6410, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 48:988-95. 2005This study was designed to assess the costs and outcomes of colostomy and colostomy reversal in patients with diverticulitis and examine the impact of such procedures on the health care system.
- Appendiceal diverticulitisHamed Kabiri
Department of Surgery, Mercy Catholoc Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Am Surg 72:221-3. 2006The incidence of appendiceal diverticulitis in pathologic specimens is 0.004 to 2.1 per cent and is unusual in younger patients...
- Acute diverticulitis in the young: a 5-year retrospective study of risk factors, clinical presentation and complicationsA M Shah
Department of Internal Medicine, St Joseph s Regional Medical Center, Paterson, New Jersey 07503, USA
Colorectal Dis 13:1158-61. 2011Acute diverticulitis in the young is considered to follow an aggressive course, but there is a paucity of data on factors that could determine a complicated course.
- Timing of prophylactic surgery in prevention of diverticulitis recurrence: a cost-effectiveness analysisRobert J Richards
Dig Dis Sci 47:1903-8. 2002Although surgery is recommended after two or more attacks of uncomplicated diverticulitis, the optimal timing for surgery in terms of cost-effectiveness is unknown...
- Clinical characteristics of 12 cases of appendiceal diverticulitis: a comparison with 378 cases of acute appendicitisIppei Yamana
Department of Surgery, Fukuoka Tokushukai Hospital, 4 5 Sukukita, Kasuga, Fukuoka, 816 0864, Japan
Surg Today 42:363-7. 2012..Therefore, this study compared appendiceal diverticulitis with acute appendicitis to explain the characteristics of appendiceal diverticulitis.
- Diverticulitis in the young patient--is it different ?Adi Lahat
Department of Gastroenterology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52651, Israel
World J Gastroenterol 12:2932-5. 2006To prospectively study the incidence and the natural history of acute diverticulitis in young patients.
- Reversal of Hartmann's procedure following acute diverticulitis: is timing everything?Fergal J Fleming
Surgical Professorial Unit, Department of Surgery, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, Co Louth, Ireland
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:1219-25. 2009..Patients who undergo a Hartmann's procedure may not be offered a reversal due to concerns over the morbidity of the second procedure. The aims of this study were to examine the morbidity post reversal of Hartmann's procedure...
- Appendiceal diverticulitis: multidetector CT featuresHisato Osada
Department of Radiology, Saitama Medical Center, Saitama Medical School, 1981 Kamoda, Kawagoe, Saitama 350 8550, Japan
Jpn J Radiol 30:242-8. 2012Appendiceal diverticulitis has been difficult to distinguish from acute appendicitis clinically and radiologically...
- Perforated jejunal diverticulitis: a rare presentation of acute abdomenF Vanrykel
Heilig Hartziekenhuis Roeselare, Roeselare, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 110:367-9. 2010..A case of acute abdomen due to a perforated jejunal diverticulum is discussed, followed by a literature review concerning aetiology, symptoms, complications, diagnosis and treatment is provided...
- Necrotizing fasciitis secondary to diverticulitisTatiana Piedra
Radiology Department, Marques de Valdecilla University Hospital, Avenida de Valdecilla, 39008 Santander, Spain
Emerg Radiol 13:345-8. 2007..We present a case of necrotizing fasciitis secondary to diverticulitis in an immunosuppressed patient with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Appendicitis, diverticulitis, and colitisAmanda E Horn
Department of Emergency Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 29:347-68, ix. 2011Appendicitis, diverticulitis, and colitis are common gastrointestinal conditions presenting to the emergency department (ED)...
- Perforation of acute calculous Meckel's diverticulitis: a rare cause of acute abdomen in elderlyK Yorganci
Department of General Surgery, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 100:226-7. 2000..A case of acute calculous Meckel's diverticulitis with perforation in a 58-year old man is presented and possible pathological conditions are discussed...
- Influence of hysterectomy on fistula formation in women with diverticulitisD Altman
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Surg 97:251-7. 2010b>Diverticulitis is a risk factor for fistula formation but little is known about the influence of hysterectomy in this association...
- Diverticulitis in transplant patients and patients on chronic corticosteroid therapy: a systematic reviewStephanie S Hwang
Department of Surgery, Kaiser Permanente, Los Angeles, California, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 53:1699-707. 2010..In this study we systematically reviewed the literature regarding the epidemiology and clinical course of diverticulitis in immunosuppressed patients...
- The ladies trial: laparoscopic peritoneal lavage or resection for purulent peritonitis and Hartmann's procedure or resection with primary anastomosis for purulent or faecal peritonitis in perforated diverticulitis (NTR2037)Hilko A Swank
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Surg 10:29. 2010Recently, excellent results are reported on laparoscopic lavage in patients with purulent perforated diverticulitis as an alternative for sigmoidectomy and ostomy...
- [Morbi-mortality after Hartmann procedure for peritonitis complicating sigmoid diverticulitis. A retrospective analysis of 85 cases]F Dumont
Services de Chirurgie Viscérale et Digestive, CHU, Universite de Picardie, Hopital d Amiens, Amiens Nord, Place Victor Pauchet, 80054 Amiens cedex 01, France
Ann Chir 130:391-9. 2005..The aim of this study was to analyse natural history of HP and intestinal continuity restoration for sigmoid diverticulitis, and to assess risk factors for mortality, morbidity and absence of intestinal continuity restoration.
- Xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis in a renal allograft associated with xanthogranulomatous diverticulitis: report of the first case and review of the literatureWassim Hitti
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:3344-7. 2007
- Qualitative and quantitative analyses of the bifidobacterial microbiota in the colonic mucosa of patients with colorectal cancer, diverticulitis and inflammatory bowel diseaseMiguel Gueimonde
Instituto de Productos Lacteos de Asturias IPLA CSIC Ctra Infiesto s n, 33300, Villaviciosa, Asturias, Spain
World J Gastroenterol 13:3985-9. 2007..To characterize the bifidobacterial microbiota of the colonic mucosa in patients with colon cancer, inflammatory bowel disease or diverticuitis...
- Current management of diverticulitisMichael H McCafferty
Division of Colorectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Am Surg 74:1041-9. 2008b>Diverticulitis is classified as uncomplicated or complicated, i.e., associated with perforation, fistula, or obstruction. CT allows more reliable characterization of an acute attack of diverticulitis...
- Elective surgery for recurrent diverticulitisJyrki T Mäkelä
Department of Surgery, Division of Gastroenterology, Oulu University Hospital, Finland
Hepatogastroenterology 54:1412-6. 2007After two documented episodes of uncomplicated diverticulitis, elective colon resection is recommended to prevent complications of the disease but the nature of symptoms in non-operated patients requires specification.
- Clinical diagnosis of primary epiploic appendagitis: differentiation from acute diverticulitisHee Jung Son
Department of Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Gastroenterol 34:435-8. 2002..Primary epiploic appendagitis is frequently misdiagnosed as either appendicitis or diverticulitis, depending on its location.
- Aggressive resection is indicated for cecal diverticulitisJen Feng Fang
First Division of Trauma and Emergency Surgery, Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, 5 Fushing St, Kweishan, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Am J Surg 185:135-40. 2003Because of the difficulties in preoperative diagnosis and controversies in the management, cecal diverticulitis has received much discussion in the literature. There, however, are still many questions that remain unanswered.
- Acute recurrent diverticulitis is prevented by oral administration of a polybacterial lysate suspensionL Dughera
Digestive Motility and Endoscopy Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol 50:149-53. 2004The main cause of acute diverticulitis is the abnormal accumulation of fecal bacteria within the diverticular lumen, leading to a balancing between normal probiotic microflora and pathogenic species; Gram negative Entero-bacteriaceae, ..
- Laparoscopy for diverticulitisNilesh A Patel
Department of Surgery, Allegheny General Hospital, Drexel University College of Medicine Clinical Campus, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15212 4772, USA
Semin Laparosc Surg 10:177-83. 2003Although the literature on laparoscopic surgery for diverticulitis includes data on more than 1800 patients, the quality of the studies is insufficient to draw definitive evidence-based conclusions...
- Diverticulitis: when and how to operate?H N Aydin
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, A30 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Dig Liver Dis 36:435-45. 2004Diverticular disease, and particularly diverticulitis, has increasing incidence in industrialised countries...
- Diverticulitis in the young patientA J Minardi
Department of Surgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center and Affiliated Hospitals, Shreveport, USA
Am Surg 67:458-61. 2001Although predominantly a disease in older adults diverticulitis does affect younger patients...
- Acute diverticulitis in the young adult is not "virulent."Jeremy Schweitzer
Department of Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
Am Surg 68:1044-7. 2002Acute diverticulitis historically has been considered rare before the age of 40 but "virulent" when it does occur and frequently requiring emergency operation...
- Computed tomography evaluation of diverticulitisTara Lawrimore
Department of Radiology, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Intensive Care Med 19:194-204. 2004Acute diverticulitis is a frequent and important diagnosis in gastrointestinal disease, most commonly involving the colon...
- Laparoscopic approach to treatment of sigmoid diverticulitis: changes in the spectrum of indications and results of a prospective, multicenter study on 1,545 patientsHubert Scheidbach
Department of Surgery, Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1883-8. 2004The aim of the present study was to analyze changes regarding the indications for and results of laparoscopic treatment of sigmoid diverticulitis.
- Diverticulosis and acute diverticulitisJohn G Touzios
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 66905, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 38:513-25. 2009..Management of acute, uncomplicated diverticulitis can often be treated successfully with antibiotics alone and the decision to proceed with more aggressive ..
- Randomized controlled trial of oral vs intravenous therapy for the clinically diagnosed acute uncomplicated diverticulitisP F Ridgway
Department of Surgery, Wexford General Hospital, Ireland
Colorectal Dis 11:941-6. 2009..The authors hypothesize that an oral antibiotic and fluids are not inferior to intravenous (IV) antibiotics and 'bowel rest' in clinically diagnosed acute uncomplicated diverticulitis.
- Diverticular disease and diverticulitisAnish A Sheth
Section of Digestive Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1550-6. 2008..range from mild, low-level symptomatology similar to that seen in irritable bowel syndrome to acute bouts of diverticulitis complicated by abscess or frank perforation...
- Cecal diverticulitis: a case report and review of the current literatureP Shetgiri
Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Int Surg 86:191-4. 2001..Postoperative colonoscopy demonstrated cecal diverticulitis. Management of cecal diverticulitis found during laparotomy for presumed appendicitis has included right ..
- Sonographic findings of Meckel's diverticulitis in childrenMatteo Baldisserotto
Departmento de Radiologia, Hospital da Criança Conceição Ministério da Saúde, Rua Francisco Trein 596, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil 91350 200
AJR Am J Roentgenol 180:425-8. 2003..Our study reviews sonographic, clinical, and pathologic findings in 10 patients with an inflamed Meckel's diverticulum. We also describe unique findings on color Doppler sonography for two of our patients...
- Mucosal repair of posterior perforation of duodenal diverticulitis using roux loop duodenojejunostomyVictor T W Lee
Department of General Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Asian J Surg 28:139-41. 2005..We present a case of posterior perforation of duodenal diverticulitis, diagnosed on computed tomography and successfully repaired with a Roux loop duodenojejunostomy...
- CT of jejunal diverticulitis: imaging findings, differential diagnosis, and clinical managementM Macari
Department of Radiology, Abdominal Imaging, NYU School of Medicine, New York, USA
Clin Radiol 62:73-7. 2007To describe the imaging findings of jejunal diverticulitis as depicted at contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CT) and review the differential diagnosis and clinical management.
- Use of acetaminophen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a prospective study and the risk of symptomatic diverticular disease in menW H Aldoori
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass, USA
Arch Fam Med 7:255-60. 1998..To examine prospectively the relationship between self-reported regular use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and acetaminophen and the risk of symptomatic diverticular disease...
- Diverticulitis of the caecum and ascending colon: an unavoidable diagnostic pitfall?V Violi
Istituto di Clinica Chirurgica Generale e Terapia Chirurgica, University of Parma Medical School, Italy
Int Surg 85:39-47. 2000The infrequency of right-sided colonic diverticulitis prompted this presentation of our experiences, with emphasis on the diagnostic aspects.
- Association between sigmoid diverticulitis and left-sided colon cancer: a nested, population-based, case control studyT Stefansson
Dept of Surgery, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 39:743-7. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate to what extent patients with diverticulitis of the sigmoid colon differ in long-term risk of colon cancer compared to patients with diverticulosis of the ..
- The impact of uncomplicated and complicated diverticulitis on laparoscopic surgery conversion rates and patient outcomesImran Hassan
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Surg Endosc 21:1690-4. 2007The aim of this analysis was to determine the impact of complicated and uncomplicated diverticulitis on conversion rates and complications in patients undergoing laparoscopic surgery (LS) for diverticular disease.
- Intermittent hepatic portal vein gas complicating diverticulitis--a case report and literature reviewFranz Sellner
Department of Surgery, Kaiser Franz Josef Hospital, Chirurgische Abteilung, Kundratstr 3, 1100, Vienna, Austria
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:1395-9. 2007This report describes a case of intermittent hepatic portal venous gas (HPVG) because of colonic diverticulitis in a 48-year-old man, who was successfully treated by surgery.
- Meckel's diverticulitis secondary to carcinoid tumor: an unusual presentation of the acute abdomen in an adultScott S Carpenter
Des Moines University Osteopathic Medical Center, Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Curr Surg 60:301-3. 2003..Meckel's diverticulitis is clinically indistinguishable from acute appendicitis, and abnormal or symptomatic diverticula are generally ..
- Laparoscopic colorrhaphy, irrigation and drainage in the treatment of complicated acute diverticulitis: initial experienceAntonio Riccardo Da Rold
Surgical Unit, San Martino Hospital, Belluno, Italy
Chir Ital 56:95-8. 2004The natural history of diverticulosis is worthy of note for its acute, sometimes recurrent, attacks of diverticulitis and the significant risk of serious complications, such as abscess, fistula and peritonitis...
- Primary anastomosis or Hartmann's procedure for patients with diverticular peritonitis? A systematic reviewLeon Salem
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 6410, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1953-64. 2004This systematic literature review was designed to summarize and compare the reported outcomes of one-stage and two-stage operations for the treatment of perforated diverticulitis with peritonitis.
- The value of specialization--is there an outcome difference in the management of fistulas complicating diverticulitisA Di Carlo
Department of Surgery, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, SMBD-Jewish General Hospital, Quebec, Canada
Dis Colon Rectum 44:1456-63. 2001..conducted to determine whether there were any outcome differences in the management of fistulas complicating diverticulitis. METHODS: We conducted an historical cohort study using hospital charts of all cases of fistulas complicating ..
- Benefits of laparoscopic peritoneal lavage for complicated sigmoid diverticulitisJoanne Favuzza
Department of Surgery, Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield, MA 01201, USA
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:797-801. 2009The traditional therapy for perforated sigmoid diverticulitis with peritonitis is emergency colectomy usually with colostomy...
- Laparoscopic treatment of sigmoid diverticulitis: a retrospective review of 103 casesR Pugliese
Department of General and Emergency Surgery, Hospital Niguarda Ca Granda Milano Piazza Ospedale Maggiore, 3, 20162, Milano, Italy
Surg Endosc 18:1344-8. 2004Laparoscopic treatment of sigmoid diverticulitis is commonly accepted in Hinchey cases I and II, whereas it is debated in the case of purulent peritonitis, and not indicated for fecal peritonitis.
- The place of elective surgery following acute diverticulitis in young patients: when is surgery indicated? An analysis of the literatureSimon Janes
Nuffield Department of Surgery, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 52:1008-16. 2009b>Diverticulitis in the young is often regarded as a specific entity. Resection after a single attack because of a more "virulent" course of the disease has been accepted as conventional wisdom...
- Lessons learned from the analysis of 200 laparoscopic sigmoid resections for diverticulitisJörg Zehetner
II Surgical Department, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Operative Laparoscopy, AKH Linz, Academic Teaching Hospital, Linz, Austria
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 19:123-7. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate the feasibility of laparoscopic sigmoid resections for diverticulitis regarding conversion rate, operation time and intraoperative and postoperative complications, and defining ..
- Solitary caecal diverticulitis--a rare cause of right iliac fossa painF A Abogunrin
Belfast City Hospital, Belfast
Ulster Med J 74:132-3. 2005
- Decision making in right-sided diverticulitisLi Rung Shyung
Division of Gastroen terology, Department of Internal, Medicine, Mackay Memorial Hospital, 92, Section 2, Chungshan North Road, Taipei, Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:606-8. 2003To evaluate systematically our nine-year experience in treating right-sided diverticulitis of the colon, and to explore its clinical and radiological relationship.
- Percutaneous CT scan-guided drainage vs. antibiotherapy alone for Hinchey II diverticulitis: a case-control studyD Brandt
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Geneva, Rue Micheli du Crest 24, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1533-8. 2006CT-scan-guided percutaneous abscess drainage of Hinchey Stage II diverticulitis is considered the best initial approach to treat conservatively the abscess and to subsequently perform an elective sigmoidectomy...
- Outcome of younger patients with acute diverticulitisF Hjern
Division of Surgery, Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Surg 95:758-64. 2008There is controversy over whether patients presenting with a primary attack of acute diverticulitis at a younger age are more prone to complications and recurrence than older patients.
- Best Management of Sigmoid Volvulus: a Prospective Randomized TrialJONATHAN CHARLES SAMUEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Operative decisions in sigmoid volvulus are analogous to those of perforated diverticulitis, another left-sided colonic emergency...
- ROLE OF B.FRAGILIS OXYGEN STRESS RESPONSE IN INFECTIONCharles J Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..Intra-abdominal abscesses are formed following perforation of the bowel often due to appendicitis, diverticulitis, carcinoma, or surgery...
- ROLE OF B.FRAGILIS OXYGEN STRESS RESPONSE IN INFECTIONCharles Smith; Fiscal Year: 2009..Intra-abdominal abscesses are formed following perforation of the bowel often due to appendicitis, diverticulitis, carcinoma, or surgery...
- Gastrointestinal Surgery Outcomes Research FellowshipDavid R Flum; Fiscal Year: 2013..managed by general surgeons involve digestive disease (appendicitis, biliary disease, bowel obstruction, diverticulitis, Crohn's disease, pancreatitis, etc...
- Intestinal Microbiota in Diverticular DiseaseLisa L Strate; Fiscal Year: 2013..in both patients with asymptomatic diverticulosis and those with diverticulosis complicated by acute diverticulitis. We plan to use a combination of state-of-the-art molecular and novel metagenomic approaches, and to determine ..
- TIMING PROPHYLACTIC SURGERY FOR DIVERTICULITISRobert Richards; Fiscal Year: 2000This study will determine when to perform prophylactic surgery for the prevention of diverticulitis recurrence. Background and Significance: Diverticulitis is a common clinical condition, especially among the elderly...
- Outcomes and Care Practices in Lower Intestinal BleedingLisa Strate; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will also provide the skills and data that are critical for planning future investigations. ..
- Failed rescue of old skeletal muscle from atrophyFrank Booth; Fiscal Year: 2004..Identifying the inappropriately expressed mRNAs associated with failed muscle regrowth of old muscles will permit a more scientifically-based growth factor rescue of old atrophied muscle. ..
- Proteomics: Inactivity-induced muscle insulin resistanceFrank Booth; Fiscal Year: 2002..Outcomes of this proposal will better establish that healthy active skeletal muscles interact with other organ systems to prevent the metabolic disorders of type 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis, and obesity. ..
- EXERCISE INDUCED GROWTH OF SKELETAL MUSCLEFrank Booth; Fiscal Year: 2003..Elucidation of the mechanisms signaling skeletal muscle growth may lead to drugs, gene therapy, or other countermeasures against skeletal muscle wasting in individuals for whom exercise is perhaps impossible. ..
- EXPERIMENTAL PATHOLOGY SHARED RESOURCE LABORATORYLaura Lamps; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- SATELLITE STEM CELL BIOLOGYFrank Booth; Fiscal Year: 2008..The outcomes of the research will provide a more scientific basis to devise therapies to prevent and treat sarcopenia and physical frailty. ..
- Role of Insulin Regulation of Beta Cell Function in Vivo and in VitroAllison Goldfine; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies may provide a unifying explanation linking the combined defects in insulin secretion and action that underlie type 2 diabetes. ..
- Old Westbury Neuroscience Research Institute MIDARPGeorge Stefano; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PHYSIOLOGY AND MOLECULAR DETERMINANTS OF DIABETESAllison Goldfine; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Efficient Mechanism of Gene Transfer in B. fragilisDavid Hecht; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Bacteroides fragilis new hemolysins in experimental infection.EDSON ROCHA; Fiscal Year: 2008..fragilis hemolysins.] A) We will complete the initial analysis of the hemolytic/cytolytic activity of B. fragilis hemolysins. B) We will complete the construction of hemolysin mutants. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gene-Specific Responses to Exercise in Discordant TwinsPaul Williams; Fiscal Year: 2007..DNA samples will be shared with other institutions to cross-validate gene associations identified from training studies or other designs. ..
- Preventive of Bile Acid-Induced Colonic Oxidative DNA DamageClaire Margaret Payne; Fiscal Year: 2010..129 mice) developed in our laboratory;2) NOS-/- k.o./DOC mouse model;3) arginine-enhanced colon tumor ApcMin/+ mouse model developed in our laboratory;4) the AOM mouse model of colon carcinogenesis using A/J mice. ..
- Cytochrome C Oxidase I:A Biomarker for Colon Cancer RiskClaire Payne; Fiscal Year: 2006..Various molecular and cellular techniques will be used in these studies. ..
- Long-Term Exercise Maintenance via Internet SupportPaul Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..We estimate that we will be able to detect differences in exercise cessation rates between the intervention and control group of 0.45% in runners and walkers separately (alpha=0.05, 80% statistical power). ..
- PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF HEALTH IN RUNNERS AND WALKERSPaul Williams; Fiscal Year: 2002..1%). Additionally, a detectable reduction in breast cancer risk as small as 1.5% per mile run in women is calculated, which is below the 1.7% reduction in risk estimated from other published data. ..