Genomes and Genes
Summary: Situations or conditions having a high probability of disabling or immediately life-threatening consequences or requiring first aid or other immediate intervention.
Publications352 found, 100 shown here
- Responsiveness to life-threatening obstetric emergencies in two hospitals in Abidjan, Côte d'IvoireV Gohou
Institut National de Santé Publique, Abidjan, Cote d Ivoire
Trop Med Int Health 9:406-15. 2004....
- Lessons learned from complex emergencies over past decadePeter Salama
UNICEF, Kabul, Afghanistan
Lancet 364:1801-13. 2004..past decade in the way the international community responds to the health and nutrition consequences of complex emergencies. The public health and clinical response to diseases of acute epidemic potential has improved, especially in ..
- Communicable diseases in complex emergencies: impact and challengesMaire A Connolly
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 364:1974-83. 2004Communicable diseases, alone or in combination with malnutrition, account for most deaths in complex emergencies. Factors promoting disease transmission interact synergistically leading to high incidence rates of diarrhoea, respiratory ..
- Collective response of human populations to large-scale emergenciesJames P Bagrow
Center for Complex Network Research, Department of Physics, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17680. 2011..perturbations we identified real-time changes in communication and mobility patterns in the vicinity of eight emergencies, such as bomb attacks and earthquakes, comparing these with eight non-emergencies, like concerts and sporting ..
- Conceptualizing and defining public health emergency preparednessChristopher Nelson
Am J Public Health 97:S9-11. 2007
- Association between patient and general practice characteristics and unplanned first-time admissions for cancer: observational studyA Bottle
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Primary Care and Public Health, School of Public Health, Imperial College London, UK
Br J Cancer 107:1213-9. 2012..To identify patient and general practice (GP) characteristics associated with emergency (unplanned) first admissions for cancer in secondary care...
- Public nutrition in complex emergenciesHelen Young
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy of Tufts University, Medford, MA, USA
Lancet 364:1899-909. 2004Public nutrition is a broad-based, problem-solving approach to addressing malnutrition in complex emergencies that combines analysis of nutritional risk and vulnerability with action-oriented strategies, including policies, programmes, ..
- Interactive triage simulator revealed important variability in both process and outcome of emergency triageOlivier T Rutschmann
Geneva University Hospital, Department of Medicine, Emergency Medicine Unit, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Clin Epidemiol 59:615-21. 2006..1) to evaluate the performance of emergency department triage; (2) to explore the variability of the triage process; and (3) to examine the reliability of a four-level triage scale, using an interactive triage simulator...
- Fewer emergency readmissions and better quality of life for older adults at risk of hospital readmission: a randomized controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of a 24-week exercise and telephone follow-up programMary Courtney
Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
J Am Geriatr Soc 57:395-402. 2009..To evaluate the effect of an exercise-based model of hospital and in-home follow-up care for older people at risk of hospital readmission on emergency health service utilization and quality of life...
- Birth preparedness among antenatal clientsS M Mutiso
Voi District Hospital, P O Box 18, Voi, Kenya
East Afr Med J 85:275-83. 2008..To evaluate birth preparedness and complication readiness among antenatal care clients...
- Postoperative medical complications are the main cause of early death after emergency surgery for colonic cancerL H Iversen
Department of Surgery P, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Br J Surg 95:1012-9. 2008..Only a few small studies have evaluated risk factors related to early death following emergency surgery for colonic cancer. The aim of this study was to identify risk factors for death within 30 days after such surgery...
- Relation between lymphopenia and bacteraemia in UK adults with medical emergenciesD H Wyllie
Nuffield Departments of Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
J Clin Pathol 57:950-5. 2004To determine the relevance of lymphopenia to the diagnosis of bacteraemia in patients admitted with medical emergencies, relative to peripheral blood white cell count and neutrophilia.
- Impact of case management (Evercare) on frail elderly patients: controlled before and after analysis of quantitative outcome dataHugh Gravelle
National Primary Care Research and Development Centre, Centre for Health Economics, University of York, York YO10 5DD
BMJ 334:31. 2007..To determine the impact on outcomes in patients of the Evercare approach to case management of elderly people...
- Multidisciplinary team training in a simulation setting for acute obstetric emergencies: a systematic reviewA E R Merién
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maxima Medical Center, Veldhoven, The Netherlands
Obstet Gynecol 115:1021-31. 2010..To perform a systematic review of the literature on the effectiveness of multidisciplinary teamwork training in a simulation setting for the reduction of medical adverse outcomes in obstetric emergency situations...
- Birth preparedness and emergency readiness plans of antenatal clinic attendees in Ile-ife, NigeriaA A Onayade
Department of Community Health, Faculty of Clinical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife Nigeria
Niger Postgrad Med J 17:30-9. 2010..The study assessed adequacy of BP/CR plans of antenatal clinic attendees in Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria...
- [The analysis of a mobile mental health outreach team activity: from psychiatric emergencies on the street to practice of hospitalization at home for homeless people]Vincent Girard
Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Marseille, Hopital La Timone, pôle de santé publique, EA 3279 Évaluation des systèmes de soins et mesure de la santé perçue, 13385 Marseille, France
Presse Med 41:e226-37. 2012..The article analyzes the way of support developed within the range of EMPP's missions defined by the ministerial circular...
- Responding to mental health emergencies: implementation of an innovative telehealth service in rural and remote new South Wales, AustraliaEmily Saurman
Centre for Remote Health Research, BrokenHill University Department of Rural Health, The University of Sydney, Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia
J Emerg Nurs 37:453-9. 2011..The Mental Health Emergency Care-Rural Access Project (MHEC) was developed to provide 24-hour access to mental health specialists in rural and remote New South Wales using video conferencing equipment...
- Nonelective excisional colorectal surgery in English National Health Service Trusts: a study of outcomes from Hospital Episode Statistics Data between 1996 and 2007Omar Faiz
Department of Colorectal Surgery, St Mark s Hospital, Middlesex, UK
J Am Coll Surg 210:390-401. 2010..This study sought to describe the practice of emergency colorectal surgery in the United Kingdom during an 11-year period using the Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) database...
- Drug-related emergencies and drug-related deaths in Vienna, 1995-1997D Risser
Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Vienna, Sensengasse 2, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Drug Alcohol Depend 61:307-13. 2001The demographics of drug-related emergencies and drug-related deaths that occurred in Vienna between January 1st, 1995 and December 31st, 1997 were compared to investigate whether they represent two different subgroups of the drug-taking ..
- Ultrasound evaluation of acute abdominal emergencies in infants and childrenPauravi Vasavada
Department of Pediatric Radiology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 42:445-56. 2004..As techniques and equipment improve, its role in the evaluation of infants and children continues to increase...
- A data-driven approach to setting trigger temperatures for heat health emergenciesSarah B Henderson
British Columbia Centre for Disease Control, Environmental Health Services, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Can J Public Health 103:227-30. 2012....
- Make your Best Guess: an updated method for paediatric weight estimation in emergenciesKatie Tinning
Department of Emergency Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 19:528-34. 2007..As the average weight of Australian children has increased over the last two decades, the widely used advanced paediatric life support (APLS) method might systematically underestimate weight in paediatric patients...
- NIH Roundtable on Opportunities to Advance Research on Neurologic and Psychiatric EmergenciesGAIL D'ONOFRIO
Department of Emergency Medicine, 464 Congress Ave, Ste 260, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
Ann Emerg Med 56:551-64. 2010..We identify key research questions essential to advancing the science of emergency care and discuss the barriers and strategies to advance research by exploring the collaboration between NIH and the emergency care community...
- Thoracic aortic emergencies: impact of endovascular surgeryGabriele Iannelli
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Federico II of Naples, Naples, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 77:591-6. 2004Conventional surgery for thoracic aortic emergencies, such as contained or free rupture of thoracic aortic aneurysms, acute type B dissections, and traumatic rupture of the thoracic aorta, is frequently associated with a high rate of ..
- Laparoscopic exploration in pediatric surgery emergenciesIsabela Draghici
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Maria Sklodowska Curie Hospital, Bucharest, Romania
J Med Life 3:90-5. 2010The laparoscopic approach of pediatric surgery emergencies represents a specific preoccupation in hospitals everywhere in the world...
- Vascular emergencies of the thorax after blunt and iatrogenic trauma: multi-detector row CT and three-dimensional imagingHatem Alkadhi
Institute of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Radiographics 24:1239-55. 2004..Multirow CT angiography with two- and three-dimensional reformation can be used to diagnose vascular emergencies of the thorax after blunt and iatrogenic trauma...
- Ischemic stroke: emergencies and managementRoger E Kelley
Department of Neurology, Tulane University School of Medicine, 1430 Tulane Avenue 8065, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Neurol Clin 30:187-210, ix. 2012....
- Emergency department triage scales and their components: a systematic review of the scientific evidenceNasim Farrohknia
The Swedish Council for Health Technology Assessment and Dep of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 19:42. 2011....
- Severe mental disorders in complex emergenciesLynne Jones
International Medical Corps Santa Monica, CA, USA
Lancet 374:654-61. 2009People with severe mental disorders are a neglected and vulnerable group in complex emergencies. Here, we describe field experiences in establishing mental health services in five humanitarian settings...
- Burden of surgical disease: strategies to manage an existing public health emergencyK A Kelly McQueen
Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, Harvard University, USA
Prehosp Disaster Med 24:s228-31. 2009..An outline of the group's findings and recommendations is provided...
- Public health, emergencies and the humanitarian impulseEgbert Sondorp
Bull World Health Organ 83:163. 2005
- The epidemiology of medical emergency contacts outside hospitals in Norway--a prospective population based studyErik Zakariassen
National Centre for Emergency Primary Health Care, Uni Health, Bergen, Norway, Kalfarveien 31, 5018 Bergen, Norway
Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 18:9. 2010There is a lack of epidemiological knowledge on medical emergencies outside hospitals in Norway...
- Management of the rectal stump after emergency sub-total colectomy: which surgical option is associated with the lowest morbidity?J P Trickett
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Frimley Park Hospital, Frimley, UK
Colorectal Dis 7:519-22. 2005..To identify the preferred surgical management of the rectal stump after emergency subtotal colectomy (ESC) for acute severe colitis by assessing the morbidity associated with each option...
- Identifying patients at high risk of emergency hospital admissions: a logistic regression analysisAlex Bottle
Department of Primary Care and Social Medicine, Imperial College London, London W6 8RP, UK
J R Soc Med 99:406-14. 2006..To use routine data to identify patients at high risk of future emergency hospital admissions...
- Cardiac emergencies caused by honey ingestion: a single centre experienceH Ozhan
Abant zzet Baysal Universitesi Düzce Tip Fakültesi, Kardiyoloji Kliniği Konuralp, Duzce, Turkey
Emerg Med J 21:742-4. 2004..Hypotension and conduction disorders resolved with atropine treatment, resulting in complete recovery within 24 hours...
- Acute nontraumatic spinal epidural hematomas. An important differential diagnosis in spinal emergenciesC Alexiadou Rudolf
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Cologne, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1810-3. 1998..CONCLUSIONS: The results of the current series demonstrate both the superiority of magnetic resonance imaging for diagnosis of SSEH as well as the necessity of early decompressive surgery in cases of sensorimotor paralysis after SSEH...
- Impact of emergency intubation on central venous oxygen saturation in critically ill patients: a multicenter observational studyGlenn Hernandez
Departamento de Medicina Intensiva, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Marcoleta 367, Santiago, Chile
Crit Care 13:R63. 2009..Therefore, we conducted a study to determine the impact of emergency intubation on ScvO2...
- Mental and social health during and after acute emergencies: emerging consensus?Mark van Ommeren
Mental Health Evidence and Research, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 83:71-5; discussion 75-6. 2005Mental health care programmes during and after acute emergencies in resource-poor countries have been considered controversial...
- Reliability and validity of scores on The Emergency Severity Index version 3Paula Tanabe
Institute for Health Services Research and Policy Studies and the Division of Emergency Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Acad Emerg Med 11:59-65. 2004..3) of the ESI has not been evaluated. The study hypothesis was that scores on the ESI v.3 show good interrater reliability and predict hospital admission, admission site, and death...
- The emergency severity index triage algorithm version 2 is reliable and validDavid R Eitel
Department of Emergency Medicine, The York Hospital, WellSpan Health, York, PA 17405, USA
Acad Emerg Med 10:1070-80. 2003..The goal of this study was to assess ESI version (v.) 2 reliability and validity at seven emergency departments (EDs) in three states...
- The epidemiology of out-of-hospital 'sudden' cardiac arrestJ Engdahl
Division of Cardiology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Medicinmottagning II, S 413 435, Gothenburg, Sweden
Resuscitation 52:235-45. 2002..Still there is much to learn about time trends, the influence of patient characteristics, comorbidity and hospital treatment among patients with prehospital cardiac arrest...
- A comparison of antecedents to cardiac arrests, deaths and emergency intensive care admissions in Australia and New Zealand, and the United Kingdom--the ACADEMIA studyJuliane Kause
Clinical Fellow in Intensive Care Medicine, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Portsmouth PO6 3LY, UK
Resuscitation 62:275-82. 2004..Future research, focusing upon the relationship between service provision and the pattern of primary events, is suggested...
- ED patients: how nonurgent are they? Systematic review of the emergency medicine literatureAnne Claire Durand
Laboratoire de Santé Publique, Faculte de Medecine, Equipe de recherche EA 3279 Evaluation hospitalière Mesure de la santé perçue, 13005, Marseille, France
Am J Emerg Med 29:333-45. 2011..8% to 90%, with a median of 32%. Comparisons of methods of categorization in the same population showed variability in levels of agreement. Our review has highlighted the lack of reliability and reproducibility...
- Partially wrong? Partial equilibrium and the economic analysis of public health emergencies of international concernP Beutels
Unit Health Economics and Modelling Infectious Diseases, Centre for the Evaluation of Vaccination, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Health Econ 17:1317-22. 2008..cost effectiveness and cost benefit of interventions that aim at controlling and/or preventing public health emergencies of international concern (such as pandemic influenza or severe acute respiratory syndrome)...
- Laparoscopic trans-peritoneal hernioplasty (TAPP) for the acute management of strangulated inguino-crural hernias: a report of nine casesG L Legnani
General Surgery Unit, Policlinico San Pietro Ponte San Pietro, Via Forlanini, 15, 24036 Ponte San Pietro, Bergamo, Italy
Hernia 12:185-8. 2008....
- The bystander-effect: a meta-analytic review on bystander intervention in dangerous and non-dangerous emergenciesPeter Fischer
Department of Psychology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Psychol Bull 137:517-37. 2011..and empirical perspectives on the novel finding of non-negative bystander effects in certain dangerous emergencies as well as situations where bystanders are a source of physical support for the potentially intervening ..
- Aortic emergenciesKathleen Wittels
Harvard Medical School, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 29:789-800, vii. 2011Aortic emergencies present a diagnostic and treatment challenge for emergency physicians. Both acute aortic dissection and abdominal aortic aneurysms can be difficult to recognize, and a missed or delayed diagnosis may be fatal...
- Dental emergencies in a university pediatric dentistry clinic: a retrospective studyAyah Qassem Shqair
School of Dentistry, Federal University of Pelotas, Pelotas, RS, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 26:50-6. 2012..Pain caused by dental decay was the most frequent chief complaint. A large number of children were brought to the dentist with complaints that had started long before, for which over-the-counter medications had been used...
- Validation of a simple algorithm for tracheal intubation: daily practice is the key to success in emergencies--an analysis of 13,248 intubationsT Heidegger
Department of Anesthesiology, St Gallen Cantonal Hospital, St Gallen, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 92:517-22. 2001..11%). We demonstrate that a simple algorithm for endotracheal intubation, basically limited to fiberoptics as the only aid, is successful in daily practice. Only methods that are practiced daily can be used successfully in emergencies.
- Common pediatric respiratory emergenciesJoseph Choi
McGill University FRCP Emergency Medicine Residency Program, Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Avenue West, Room A4 62, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Emerg Med Clin North Am 30:529-63, x. 2012..This article reviews the latest evidence in the epidemiology, assessment, management, and disposition of children presenting to the emergency department with asthma, croup, bronchiolitis, and pneumonia...
- BioSense--a national initiative for early detection and quantification of public health emergenciesJohn W Loonsk
Information Resources Management Office, CDC, 1600 Clifton Rd, Mailstop D 45, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 53:53-5. 2004..national initiative to enhance the nation's capability to rapidly detect, quantify, and localize public health emergencies, particularly biologic terrorism, by accessing and analyzing diagnostic and prediagnostic health data...
- Emergency naloxone for heroin overdoseJohn Strang
BMJ 333:614-5. 2006
- [The patterns of use and factors associated with the patient admission of hospital emergencies for asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]F Ballester
Unidad de Epidemiología y Estadística, Institut Valencià d Estudis en Salut Pública IVESP
Arch Bronconeumol 35:20-6. 1999The aim of this study was to describe the epidemiological characteristics of emergencies caused by asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) at the Hospital Clínico Universitario of Valencia (Spain) and to analyze factors ..
- Salivary gland emergenciesMatthew A Armstrong
Mike O Callaghan Federal Hospital, Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas, NV, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 31:481-99. 2013..Although by no means exhaustive or absolute, this article reconciles existing literature and serves as a concise and informative guide to salivary gland disorders encountered by the emergency care practitioner...
- The knowledge, attitude and behavior about public health emergencies and the response capacity of primary care medical staffs of Guangdong Province, ChinaZhou Zhiheng
School of Public Health and Family Medicine, Capital Medical University of China, You An Men, Beijing, PR China
BMC Health Serv Res 12:338. 2012..health emergency and the response capacity are directly related to the control and prevention of public health emergencies. Therefore, it is of great significance for improving primary care to gain in-depth knowledge about knowledge, ..
- Cocaine-related health emergencies in Europe: a review of sources of information, trends and implications for service developmentGuillermo Mena
European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, Lisbon, Portugal
Eur Addict Res 19:74-81. 2013..Cocaine-related health consequences are difficult to observe. Data on drug users in health-emergency settings may be a useful source of information on consequences that are not visible via other information sources...
- Impact of tabletop exercises on participants' knowledge of and confidence in legal authorities for infectious disease emergenciesElena Savoia
Division of Public Health Practice, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 3:104-10. 2009Legal preparedness is a critical component of comprehensive public health preparedness for public health emergencies. The scope of this study was to assess the usefulness of combining didactic sessions with a tabletop exercise as ..
- Emergencies in HIV medicineB B Rewari
National AIDS Control Organisation, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi
J Indian Med Assoc 107:317-22. 2009..b>Emergencies in HIV infection occur due to opportunistic infections or due to antiretroviral therapy...
- Arrhythmic emergencies in ICCUB Gorenek
Department of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Osmangazi Eskisehir University, Eskisehir, Turkey 2 Adana, Turkey
Minerva Med 104:383-90. 2013..This review summarizes the current knowledge on most prevalent arrhythmias in patients with ACS and their management in intensive coronary care unit. ..
- Oncologic emergenciesDeepti Behl
Hematology and Oncology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Crit Care Clin 26:181-205. 2010Oncologic emergencies represent a wide variety of conditions that can occur at any time during the course of a malignancy, from an initial presenting manifestation in someone with an undiagnosed cancer, to end-stage incurable metastatic ..
- Emergency presentation of colon cancer is most frequent during summerH Gunnarsson
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institutet Centre for Clinical Research, Sörmland County Council, Nykoping, Sweden
Colorectal Dis 13:663-8. 2011..The frequency of emergency colon cancer (ECC) was determined using a reproducible definition of 'emergency' to analyse the impact of mode of presentation on long-term prognosis and to search for risk factors for an emergency presentation...
- Medication errors during medical emergencies in a large, tertiary care, academic medical centerRoman Gokhman
Department of Pharmacy and Therapeutics, University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213, USA
Resuscitation 83:482-7. 2012..Evaluate the rate, type and severity of medication errors occurring during Medical Emergency Team (MET) care at a large, tertiary-care, academic medical center...
- Profile of pediatric abdominal surgical emergencies in a developing countryS O Ekenze
Sub Department of Paediatric Surgery, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Southeast Nigeria
Int Surg 95:319-24. 2010We aim to determine the profile and determinants of outcome of pediatric abdominal surgical emergencies in southeastern Nigeria...
- Psychiatric emergencies in childrenKristin V Christodulu
Department of Psychology, University of at Albany State University of New York, Albany, NY, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 18:268-70. 2002..The rate of admission and length of stay for children who were evaluated in the ED were also examined...
- Management of uncommon chemotherapy-induced emergenciesCarys Morgan
Department of Clinical Oncology, Velindre Cancer Centre, Cardiff, UK
Lancet Oncol 12:806-14. 2011Chemotherapy can induce various clinical emergencies. Prompt recognition and management of these adverse events are important for avoiding further morbidity and mortality...
- Dental emergencies presenting to a dental teaching hospital due to complications from traumatic dental injuriesSuhad H Al-Jundi
Dent Traumatol 18:181-5. 2002..The aim of this study was to determine the incidence and pattern of dental emergencies resulting from traumatic injuries, as well as treatment provided to children presenting with these dental ..
- Non-traumatic abdominal emergencies: imaging of acute intestinal obstructionP Taourel
Département d Imagerie Médicale, Hopital Lapeyronie, 371, avenue du Doyen Gaston Giraud, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Eur Radiol 12:2151-60. 2002....
- Tumor pathology and long-term survival in emergency colorectal cancerSiu Kin C Wong
South Western Sydney Colorectal Tumor Group, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Sydney, Australia
Dis Colon Rectum 51:223-30. 2008..This study was designed to define the role of tumor pathology as a basis for the differences in survival outcomes...
- Trends in illicit drug emergencies: the emerging role of gamma-hydroxybutyrateOscar Miro
Emergency Department, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 40:129-35. 2002..Not surprisingly, an increasing number of acute overdose cases requiring emergency medical care have been reported and described, especially in the United States...
- Anthropometric assessment of nutritional status in adolescent populations in humanitarian emergenciesB A Woodruff
International Emergency and Refugee Health Branch, National Center for Environmental Health, Division of Emergency and Environmental Health Services, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:1108-18. 2002To outline the difficulties and suggest potential solutions in anthropometric assessment of adolescents during humanitarian emergencies.
- Practical experience and confidence in managing emergencies among preregistration house officersR A E Clayton
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, 51 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4SA, UK
Postgrad Med J 81:396-400. 2005..To assess confidence in managing common emergencies and experience gained in practical procedures...
- Hyperventilation in pediatric resuscitation: performance in simulated pediatric medical emergenciesJulia M Niebauer
Division of Critical Care, Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Pediatrics 128:e1195-200. 2011....
- Medical emergencies in a dental office: inhalation and ingestion of orthodontic objectsLeon Bilder
Department of Community Dentistry, Hebrew University Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem Israel
J Am Dent Assoc 142:45-52. 2011..The authors reviewed the literature regarding inhalation and ingestion of orthodontic appliances and suggest ways to manage and prevent these events...
- Neurological disorders in complex humanitarian emergencies and natural disastersFarrah J Mateen
Department of International Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Neurol 68:282-94. 2010Complex humanitarian emergencies include the relatively acute, severe, and overwhelming health consequences of armed conflict, food scarcity, mass displacement, and political strife...
- Spontaneous rupture of a gastrointestinal stromal tumour associated with life-threatening nontraumatic hemoperitoneumPascal Bucher
Visceral and Transplantation Surgery Clinic, Department of Surgery, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Can J Surg 51:E38-9. 2008
- Reducing errors in health care: cost-effectiveness of multidisciplinary team training in obstetric emergencies (TOSTI study); a randomised controlled trialJoost van de Ven
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Máxima Medical Centre Eindhoven Veldhoven, The Netherlands
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:59. 2010..In our small country it might therefore be more cost-effective to train obstetric teams in medical simulation centres with well trained personnel, high fidelity patient simulators, and well defined training programmes...
- The effect of gender on postoperative mortality after emergency abdominal surgeryJohann Harten
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
Gend Med 2:35-40. 2005..The factors contributing to the high mortality after emergency abdominal surgery are unclear. Recent studies have revealed gender differences in immune function after trauma and in the presence of sepsis...
- Diagnosis and management of environmental thoracic emergenciesPaul D Tourigny
Division of Emergency Medicine, Foothills Medical Centre, University of Calgary, 1403 29 Street Northwest, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Emerg Med Clin North Am 30:501-28, x. 2012..Current treatment paradigms and controversies within these regimens are discussed...
- Acute demyelinating disorders: emergencies and managementReem F Bunyan
Department of Neurology, Neurosciences Center, King Fahad Specialist Hospital Dammam, Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Neurol Clin 30:285-307, ix-x. 2012..These conditions may result in emergencies because of severe inflammatory destruction of CNS tissues or complications thereof...
- The effect of high-fidelity simulation training on medical-surgical graduate nurses' perceived ability to respond to patient clinical emergenciesChristopher James Gordon
Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery and Health, University of Technology, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Contin Educ Nurs 40:491-8; quiz 499-500. 2009..This study examined the effect of simulation on medical-surgical graduate nurses' perceived ability and confidence in responding to patient clinical emergencies.
- Endocrine and psychological stress responses in a simulated emergency situationAriane Keitel
Department of Psychology, General Psychology II and Biological Psychology, University of Osnabrueck, Seminarstr 20, 49074 Osnabrueck, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 36:98-108. 2011..However, endocrine and psychological stress responses in a patient simulation situation and the relationship between stress reactivity and medical performance have been studied rarely, so far...
- Crises in clinical care: an approach to managementW B Runciman
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, University of Adelaide and Royal Adelaide Hospital, South Australia
Qual Saf Health Care 14:156-63. 2005..This approach to crisis management should be applied to other areas of clinical medicine as well as anaesthesia...
- Emergencies in diabetic patients in the primary care settingSusan D Wolfsthal
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Education Office, Room N3E09, 22 South Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Prim Care 33:711-25. 2006....
- In-flight medical emergencies: time for a registry?Keith J Ruskin
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Crit Care 13:121. 2009..Although in-flight medical emergencies take place every day, little is known about the epidemiology of these events...
- Public health emergencies: nurses' recommendations for effective actionsCarol O'Boyle
University of Minnesota, School of Nursing, Minneapolis, USA
AAOHN J 54:347-53. 2006..this study was to identify interventions nurses believe will support their ability to cope during public health emergencies. A qualitative research design was used with 33 nurses from designated bioterrorism-receiving hospitals...
- Endocrine emergenciesM W Savage
Diabetes Unit, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Postgrad Med J 80:506-15. 2004Diabetic and endocrine emergencies are traditionally treated by the acute medical admitting team or accident and emergency department staff...
- Intravenous levetiracetam for epileptic seizure emergencies in older peopleStefan Beyenburg
Departement des Neurosciences, Centre Hospitalier de Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Gerontology 55:27-31. 2009..The primary objective of this retrospective observational study was to describe the efficacy and tolerability of LEV IV in older patients presenting with epileptic seizure emergencies.
- Overview: definitions and classifications of seizure emergenciesJohn M Pellock
Division of Child Neurology, Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Medicine Richmond, VA 23298 0211, USA jpellock hsc vcu edu
J Child Neurol 22:9S-13S. 2007Seizure emergencies are potentially life-threatening events that are under-recognized. Status epilepticus is associated with considerable rates of morbidity and mortality...
- Spectrum of otorhinolaryngology emergencies in the elderly in Ibadan, NigeriaT S Ibekwe
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University College Hospital Ibadan, Nigeria
Niger J Med 14:411-4. 2005..It is thus the aim of this study to evaluate the spectrum of ear, nose, throat, head and neck emergencies among the elderly in Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Diagnostic value of lung auscultation in an emergency room settingJorg D Leuppi
Pneumology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 135:520-4. 2005..We determined the diagnostic value of lung auscultation in patients admitted to the Medical emergency room with chest symptoms...
- Bariatric emergencies for non-bariatric surgeons: complications of laparoscopic gastric bandingBoris Kirshtein
Department of Surgery A, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, P O Box 151, Beer Sheva, 84101, Israel
Obes Surg 20:1468-78. 2010..With the widespread use of LAGB, an increasing number of medical specialists are dealing with the potentially life-threatening complications of this procedure...
- Detecting breaches in defensive barriers using in situ simulation for obstetric emergenciesWilliam Riley
Department of Health Policy and Management and Associate Dean, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455 0381, USA
Qual Saf Health Care 19:i53-6. 2010..This study uses in situ simulation to identify defensive barriers and classify the nature of active and latent breaches in these barriers...
- The range of abdominal surgical emergencies in children older than 1 year at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Kumasi, GhanaF A Abantanga
Department of Surgery, School of Medical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
Ann Afr Med 8:236-42. 2009..Acute abdominal conditions are a common reason for emergency admission of children. Little is available in the literature about such conditions in our subregion, especially Ghana...
- Teaching lifesaving procedures: the impact of model fidelity on acquisition and transfer of cricothyrotomy skills to performance on cadaversZeev Friedman
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, 600 University Ave, Toronto M5G1X5, ON, Canada
Anesth Analg 107:1663-9. 2008..In this study, we compared cricothyrotomy skills acquired on a simple inexpensive model to those learned on a high fidelity simulator using valid evaluation instruments and testing on cadavers...
- Clinical emergencies and outcomes in patients admitted to a surgical versus medical serviceBabak Sarani
Department of Surgery, Division of Traumatology and Surgical Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania, United States
Resuscitation 82:415-8. 2011..The purpose of this study was to compare differences in triggers for RRS activation, interventions, and outcomes in patients on medical and surgical services...
- Dental emergencies in a university-based pediatric dentistry postgraduate outpatient clinic: a retrospective studyF G Agostini
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Texas Houston Health Science Center Dental Branch, USA
ASDC J Dent Child 68:316-21, 300-1. 2001The purpose of this retrospective study was to determine the prevalence and types of dental emergencies occurring in a university-based, pediatric dentistry postgraduate outpatient clinic...
- Nurse specialist treatment of eye emergencies: five year follow up study of quality and effectivenessJohn Cameron Buchan
Department of Ophthalmology, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds LS9 7TF, United Kingdom
Int Emerg Nurs 17:149-54. 2009....
- Neuro-ophthalmic emergencies for the neurologistValerie Purvin
Indiana University Medical Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Indianapolis, IN 46280, USA
Neurologist 11:195-233. 2005..Throughout there are specific guidelines for the management of these disorders, and areas are highlighted in which there is ongoing controversy...
- Nurses' intentions to respond to bioterrorism and other infectious disease emergenciesDeanna E Grimes
University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, School of Nursing, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Nurs Outlook 58:10-6. 2010..disasters, little is known about nurses' intentions to respond during bioterrorism and other infectious disease emergencies where they and their families may be at risk...
- Attitudes and current practice of primary care physicians in acute stroke managementSabine Roebers
Institute of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, University of Muenster, Germany
Stroke 38:1298-303. 2007..Stroke patients often report that primary care physicians (PCPs) are their first medical contact after onset of symptoms. We studied PCP attitudes and current practice in early management of suspected stroke patients...
- Risk factor analysis of thoracic endovascular repair using the Matsui-Kitamura stent graft for acute aortic emergencies in the descending thoracic aortaHiroshi Ohtake
Department of General and Cardiothoracic Surgery, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
J Vasc Surg 52:1464-70. 2010In recent years, thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair (TEVAR) has been attempted for acute aortic emergencies (AAEs). However, the risk factors for achieving good results have not been identified...
- Serpin Modulation of Inflammatory Vasculitis; Potential for Immunomodulatory TherALEXANDRA ROSE LUCAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Once diagnosed, the IVS are considered medical emergencies. Current treatment is limited to ASA and prednisone and long-term steroid treatment is associated with ..
- Waterless hand sanitizer for diarrhea prevention in a humanitarian emergencyPavani Kalluri Ram; Fiscal Year: 2013..and acute respiratory infections account for nearly 30% of deaths among children displaced due to humanitarian emergencies, with diarrhea causing up to 40% of child deaths in acute emergency settings...
- MOUNT SINAI EMERGENCY MEDICINE RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMLynne D Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2013..succeed as independent researchers of life-threatening cardiovascular, pulmonary, hematological and traumatic emergencies and as contributing members of multidisciplinary research teams...
- Race, Ethnicity, Nativity and Housing Outcomes in Los AngelesEILEEN DIAZ MCCONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..due to high shelter costs are less able to save resources to offset unanticipated health and other emergencies, plan for retirement, or invest in education...
- 1/3-Reducing Suicial Ideation Through Insomnia Treatment (REST-IT)WILLIAM VAUGHN MCCALL; Fiscal Year: 2013..up, (3) limited access to hypnotics, (4) access to university psychiatric inpatients units for psychiatric emergencies, (5) 24-hour per day emergency services available through the sites respective psychiatric residency programs, (..
- New York-Presbyterian NETT ConsortiumStephan A Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2011..Medical Center (WCMC) - have helped lead the way in developing promising new treatments for neurological emergencies. These include the application of therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest, the Merci'clot retriever ..
- SIS_REQUESTING A PURCHASE ORDER IN THE AMOUNT OF $615,000 TO SUPPORT FOR THE NATDavid Blackburn; Fiscal Year: 2011..of this contract is to support the NLM[unreadable]s Health Information Services Related to Disasters and Emergencies. The contractor will provide subject matter expertise, technical expertise and support, and related resources ..
- Innate Immunity in Trauma HemorrhageRace L Kao; Fiscal Year: 2010..in immediate survivors of accidents, terrorist attacks, natural disasters, warfare casualties and medical emergencies. Injury accounts for 40% to 80% of total death for people between one to 37 years old in the USA...
- Enabling Medical Research Growth in Emergency MedicineBRIAN LESLIE STROM; Fiscal Year: 2013..be placed on research training for clinicians with a demonstrated interest in life threatening cardiovascular emergencies including the emergency management of acute coronary syndromes, immediate and short-term acute myocardial ..
- Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) Network Clinical Site Hubs....David W Wright; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Emory Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials - Southeastern Collaborative (NETT-SEC) is a productive member of the NETT network...
- Improving the Capability of Maryland State Public Health Food Testing LaboratoryPRINCE A KASSIM; Fiscal Year: 2013..screen, and monitor chemical and microbiological contamination of foods for surveillance, terrorism, or emergencies. The Laboratories Administration food testing laboratory is the state's primary servicing laboratory for ..
- Treatment of Status Epilepticus: A Translational ProposalClaude G Wasterlain; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is one of the most common neurological emergencies in V.H.A...
- Neurosteroid Treatment for OP IntoxicationDoodipala Samba Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2013..The outcome from this project will identify an effective antidote for OP intoxication and enhance readiness for emergencies.
- Oregon Multidisciplinary Training Program in Emergency Medicine Clinical ResearchCraig D Newgard; Fiscal Year: 2013..areas of content expertise reflecting a broad range of cardiovascular, pulmonary, hematological and traumatic emergencies; 7 To produce scholars whose research varies along the spectrum of translational research - from bench- to-..
- Healing Without Harm: A Multi-site DemonstrationAnn Hendrich; Fiscal Year: 2010..an Obstetrics Emergency Response Team at each test site that will be uniformly trained on how to respond to emergencies, communicate with patients/families and conduct apparent and root cause analyses...
- Prospective Cohort Study of Severe Bronchiolitis and Risk of Recurrent WheezingCarlos A Camargo; Fiscal Year: 2013..a clinical research collaboration that has completed >60 multicenter studies focusing on respiratory emergencies and public health...
- Patient-Tailored Health Literacy Improvement SystemALAN LETZT; Fiscal Year: 2010..contributes to poor individual and collective public health, greater susceptibility to diseases, and complex emergencies such as bioterrorism...
- Predicting Adverse Cardiovascular Events in Emergencies Due to Drug OverdoseALEX FRANCIS MANINI; Fiscal Year: 2013..award (K23) is to assist Alex Manini, MD to become an independent research scientist in drug overdose emergencies. Guided by Dr...
- PHILA-NETT: Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) Network Clinical HubNina T Gentile; Fiscal Year: 2013..community and academic medical centers formed to effectively conduct clinical studies related to neurological emergencies. Over the past four years, the primary sites have included TU Health System hospitals and Hahnemann Hospital ..
- Prospective Multicenter Study of Bronchiolitis Admissions: Etiology & DispositionCarlos A Camargo; Fiscal Year: 2010..org), a clinical research network that has completed >20 multicenter studies focusing on respiratory emergencies and public health...
- Stanford University Hub for Neurological Emergency Treatment TrialsJames V Quinn; Fiscal Year: 2013..brain injury, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and intracerebral hemorrhage are common neurological emergencies that cause significant morbidity and mortality and result in substantial human suffering and enormous health ..
- Hazardous Material Worker Health and Safety Training (U45), Cooperative AgreementLINDA L DELP; Fiscal Year: 2013..develop a model program and train 3,040 workers to identify and respond appropriately in the event of hazmat emergencies or security threats...
- Evaluation of a Second-Tier Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia Screening Method UtiliPATRICIA ANN HUNT; Fiscal Year: 2010..screening for Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH), an endocrine disorder that can cause critical medical emergencies within the first week of the life in infants with the more severe salt wasting form of CAH (SW-CAH)...
- STAT Palm-Sized Blood CounterEUGENE YAN HO CHAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..this proposal is to develop a STAT palm-sized blood counter for monitoring complete blood counts (CBC) during emergencies. Changes in blood counts can reflect acutely worsening medical conditions...
- Creation of a Risk-scoring Algorithm for Early Mortality Among Elderly ESRD PatieMae Thamer; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., cardiovascular events, acute renal failure, sepsis, hypertensive emergencies);2) medical management prior to dialysis including involvement of a nephrology specialist, management of anemia,..
- Canine Status Epilepticus: A Translational Platform for Human Therapeutic TrialsIlo E Leppik; Fiscal Year: 2011..establishment of a national network of veterinary emergency care departments similar to the human Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) system;2) use the CNETT to test specific novel agents 3) make the CNETT available to ..
- State University of New York (SUNY) Downstate NETT Clinical Site HubSTEVEN RICHARD LEVINE; Fiscal Year: 2013..will conduct clinical trials designed to develop effective treatments for patients with neurological emergencies. Our existing infrastructure of the Hub at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, with joint experienced leadership ..
- POINT: Platelet-Oriented Inhibition in New TIAYuko Y Palesch; Fiscal Year: 2013..We plan to enroll 4150 patients at 150 centers over 4 years. We will work with the NINDS Neurologic Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) network and the Clinical Research Collaboration (CRC), which will be responsible for ..
- Food Safety and Security Monitoring Project (U18), FERNAbul Anisuzzaman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goal of this proposal is to develop and improve the capability of FERN to respond to chemical emergencies in food and to enhance surveillance of food chemistry testing...
- INTEGRATED PROTOCOL FOR TREATMENT OF MAM AND SAM IN HUMANITARIAN EMERGENCIESMARK JOHN MANARY; Fiscal Year: 2013..55 million and 20 million children worldwide, respectively, mostly in developing countries where humanitarian emergencies are more likely to occur...
- Mechanisms of Alcohol Withdrawal Seizures: Role of L-type Ca2+ ChannelsPROSPER N'GOUEMO; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Alcohol withdrawal seizures (AWS) are one of the most common medical emergencies, but their underlying mechanisms are poorly understood...
- Protection against radiation-induced damage to intestinal nutrient transportRoger Howell; Fiscal Year: 2009..vitamins may be efficacious in protecting and restoring intestinal nutrient transport during radiological emergencies. For almost all nutrients, the rate-limiting step of intestinal absorption is transport across the apical ..
- STAT Palm-Sized Blood CounterEUGENE YAN HO CHAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..a STAT palm-sized blood counter for monitoring complete blood counts (CBC) with 3-part differential during emergencies. Changes in blood counts can reflect acutely worsening medical conditions...
- ASSURING RADIATION PROTECTIONRUTH EVELYN MCBURNEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..and as a result of licensed activities, and accidents and incidents;and preparedness for radiological emergencies and homeland security...
- Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) Network Clinical Site HubsRobert D Welch; Fiscal Year: 2013..to address just these issues as the discovery and implementation of effective treatments for neurological emergencies will require sophisticated study protocols derived from large-scale clinical trials...
- UK NETT Clinical Site HubROGER LOYD HUMPHRIES; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This proposal describes the re-establishment of a Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) Network Clinical Site Hub at the University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center (UKCMC) in Lexington,..
- Los Angeles Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (LA NETT)Sidney Starkman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed Los Angeles Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials Hub and Spoke Network brings together a consortium of 29 EMS Provider Agencies and 38 ..
- Food Emergency Response Network Radiological LaboratoriesGRACE KUBIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..equipped radiological laboratory that employs seven analysts, and has the capability to respond to radiological emergencies. Agriculture is a major industry in Texas, and Texas has several major ports which are active in food importing ..
- Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) Network Clinical Site Hubs (U10)BARNEY JOEL STERN; Fiscal Year: 2011..And (2) conduct two large, streamlined phase III clinical trials involving neurological emergencies to demonstrate the capability of the Network and to stimulate general interest in the NETT Network regarding ..
- SF-NETT: San Francisco Neurological Emergencies Trials NetworkJESSE CLAUDE HEMPHILL; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Neurological emergencies comprise a wide range of conditions which include refractory seizures, acute stroke, traumatic brain and spinal cord injury, meningitis and encephalitis, hypoxic-ischemic ..
- Patients' Experiences of Emergency Research (PEER)- Views of Patients included inRebecca D Pentz; Fiscal Year: 2010..NINDS and NIH have committed to this research through support of the Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trial (NETT) group and other studies addressing these important public health threats...
- Non-invasive Blood Alcohol Sensor for Emergency Room ApplicationsMANAL BESHAY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Some severe emergencies such as traumatic head injury, diabetes, and stroke can be misdiagnosed in the absence of screening for alcohol ..
- ISO/IEC 17025:2005 Accreditation for Texas Food Testing LaboratoryElizabeth Delamater; Fiscal Year: 2013..that employs twelve analysts, 5 team leads for data review, and has the capability to respond to food related emergencies. Agriculture is a major industry in Texas, and Texas has several major ports which are active in food importing ..
- DANGER: Developing the Next Generation of Emergency Medicine ResearchersNathan Kuppermann; Fiscal Year: 2013..The broad spectrum of mentors includes experts in cardiology, pulmonology, hematologic and traumatic emergencies, as well as PEM research;the K12 scholars'mentored projects will be focused on one of these areas...
- Integrated System for Rapid Detection of Respiratory PathogensMichael J Lochhead; Fiscal Year: 2013..be rapidly deployed for public health screening and diagnostic efforts during a bioterror event or new pandemic emergencies. Second, the program will yield a viral RNA based flu rapid test that will offer significant sensitivity and ..
- Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trial (NETT) Network Pittsburgh Clinical HubClifton W Callaway; Fiscal Year: 2013..has extensive resources and expertise in studying emergency conditions, and specifically neurological emergencies. Therefore, Pittsburgh can serve effectively as a new Clinical Hub for the Neurological Emergencies Treatment ..
- Research Training in AnesthesiaLaura E Niklason; Fiscal Year: 2013..anesthesiologists are taking a roles is critical care, the management of pain, rapid response to inpatient emergencies, in addition to clinical and basic science research...
- FDA FERN Microbiological Cooperative Agreement Continuation Program (U18)BARBARA JEAN BAKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Laboratory has responded to many Washington State food emergencies and WSDA is a recipient of a FDA-funded Rapid Response Team Project Cooperative Agreement...
- Predictors of hematoma expansion in acute intracerebral hemorrhageJoshua N Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..Goldstein is an emergency physician with a long-term goal of improving the care of patients with neurological emergencies. Intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH) is the most fatal form of stroke, and no proven therapies are available...
- Conformance with the Manufactured Food Regulatory Program Standards (MFRPS) (U18)PATRICK KENNELLY; Fiscal Year: 2013..The economic impact of such food emergencies can cost hundreds of millions of dollars due to decreased demands for food commodities because of loss of ..
- Real-Time Planning and Training System to Improve Long-Term Care Disaster PrepareTONY MA; Fiscal Year: 2009..8 million--to plan and re- spond to bioterrorism threats, natural disasters, and other public health emergencies, with little or no prior training...
- Molecular Analyses and Interventions for Biodefense and Emerging PathogensOlaf Schneewind; Fiscal Year: 2013..education and laboratory infrastructure that serves the nation during biodefense and other infectious disease emergencies. The GLRCE proposes an educational program for public health officials as well as training programs for ..
- A Health Security Card for Disasters and Public Health EmergenciesJAMES J JAMES; Fiscal Year: 2011..on the essential data elements necessary for a health security card for use in disasters and public health emergencies. 2) To establish consensus on the technological vehicle and platform for the card...
- Enhanced brief Intervention for linking opiate abusing EMS patients to treatmentAmy Knowlton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research suggests drug abusers may be motivated to engage in treatment at times of health emergencies, and that brief intervention (BI), free treatment, and incentives may further enhance treatment entry...
- The Milwaukee Clinical Site HubTOM PAUL AUFDERHEIDE; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Wisconsin are submitting this application for consideration to continue as a Clinical Site Hub of the NINDS Emergencies Treatment Trials Network (NETT) to be known as the Milwaukee Clinical Site Hub (MCSH)...
- The Ohio State University Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (OSU NETT) N*Michel T Torbey; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): This proposal is in response to Request for Applications PAR-11-342 Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) Network Clinical Site Hubs for year 2011...
- Risk assessment training for methamphetamine lab respondersWILLIAM D AGGEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Most meth labs are discovered when fires, explosions, or medical emergencies are reported to authorities...
- Estimating the Returns to Medical Care SpendingJoseph J Doyle; Fiscal Year: 2013..The first is to exploit the fact that in areas served by multiple ambulances, hospital assignment for emergencies is to some extent randomly determined by the referral patterns of ambulance units...
- E-Learning Assisted HAZWOPER Training for Medicolegal Death InvestigatorsJAMES PATRICK O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..a hazard assessment was conducted with respect to the job tasks of death investigators at hazardous materials emergencies and other situations involving potential exposure of these workers to chemical, radiological and etiological ..
- Food Protection Rapid Response Team and Program Infrastructure Improvement ImplemPATRICK KENNELLY; Fiscal Year: 2012..and Drug Branch's (FDB), Food Safety Program is to prevent and react to food and food-related problems and emergencies. We accomplish this with a combination of prevention efforts and active intervention and response throughout ..
- Generation of Electricity by Normal Human MovementMARTIN BELCHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..provide requisite refrigeration of vaccines, simple diagnostic tests, and communication devices in the case of emergencies. In Phase II a new, lighter and more efficient prototype will be developed and clinically tested, taking ..
- ADULT MEDICAID PATIENTS' DENTAL VISITS IN EDSLeonard Cohen; Fiscal Year: 1999..visits resulting from the elimination of adult Medicaid reimbursement to dentists for the treatment of dental emergencies will be examined. Rationale: Pain from toothaches represents a significant public health problem...
- Regional Biocontainment LaboratoryJAMES GAINES; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, the PacRBL will serve as a regional resource for national and international bioterrorism emergencies and as a reference diagnostic center for outbreaks of newly recognized infectious diseases originating in the ..
- CYCLIC GMP REGULATION OF SMOOTH MUSCLE CONTRACTILITYRobert Rapoport; Fiscal Year: 1990..mainstay of therapy in the treatment of coronary vasospasm, angina, congestive heart failure and hypertensive emergencies. Clinical trials are currently in progress in the use of atriopeptins and their derivatives for the treatment ..
- CLINICAL AND CLASSICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY IN ONCOLOGYJames Talcott; Fiscal Year: 1991..build on a retrospective study which identified powerfully-predictive prospective risk factors for medical emergencies. The studies of patients with suspected spinal cord compression are more exploratory, based upon the published ..
- Intimate partner violence in Colombia: Do the effects of relative spousal resourcMichelle Hynes; Fiscal Year: 2009..environments globally;and improving response to natural and manmade disasters, including complex humanitarian emergencies globally;and 3) Priority Populations including low- income groups, minority groups, and women...
- PURIFICATION OF VENOM FOR PRODUCTION OF IMMUNOTOXINSJohn Perez; Fiscal Year: 1990..complex nature of venom serves the snake well in this regard; however, envenomation of humans creates medical emergencies. Venom is difficult to neutralize because of its complex nature, and most medical practitioners would agree ..
- Pulmonary Airflow Monitor in Tracheostomized ChildrenMALVERN BENJAMIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..An increasing number of children are surviving life threatening emergencies and acute respiratory failure or highly complex surgery; however, a growing number of these children ..
- Modeling U.S. Health Systems' Epidemic Response CapacityNathaniel Hupert; Fiscal Year: 2003..of this project will evaluate patterns of emergency health service utilization in the setting of public health emergencies. Patient "surges" at eight New York City emergency departments will be evaluated during the 2001 anthrax ..