Genomes and Genes
diseases in twins
Summary: Disorders affecting TWINS, one or both, at any age.
Publications267 found, 100 shown here
- The Child and Adolescent Twin Study in Sweden (CATSS)Henrik Anckarsater
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Forensic Psychiatry, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Twin Res Hum Genet 14:495-508. 2011..The CATSS study has the potential of answering important questions on the etiology of childhood mental health problems and their role in the development of later adjustment problems...
- The Swedish Twin Registry: a unique resource for clinical, epidemiological and genetic studiesP Lichtenstein
Department of Medical Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Intern Med 252:184-205. 2002..In the following, we will summarize the content of the database, describe for the first time recent data collection efforts and review some of the principal findings that have come from the Registry...
- Aberrant DNA methylation associated with bipolar disorder identified from discordant monozygotic twinsG Kuratomi
Laboratory for Molecular Dynamics of Mental Disorders, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama, Japan
Mol Psychiatry 13:429-41. 2008..We found strong inverse correlation between gene expression and DNA methylation levels of PPIEL. These results suggest that altered DNA methylation statuses of PPIEL might have some significance in pathophysiology of bipolar disorder....
- A developmental twin study of symptoms of anxiety and depression: evidence for genetic innovation and attenuationK S Kendler
Virginia Institute of Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Medical College of Virginia Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Psychol Med 38:1567-75. 2008..Analysis conducted using the Mx program included SxAnxDep by parental and self-report...
- The Swedish Twin Registry in the third millennium: an updatePaul Lichtenstein
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Twin Res Hum Genet 9:875-82. 2006..In particular, we describe recent efforts to screen all twins born between 1959 and 1985, and young twin pairs when they turn 9 and 12 years of age. For these studies, we present initial frequencies of common conditions and exposures...
- Recurrence of congenital heart defects in familiesNina Øyen
Department of Epidemiology Research, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen S, Denmark
Circulation 120:295-301. 2009..We estimated an individual's risk of CHD given a family history of CHD, as well as the contribution of CHD family history to the total number of CHD cases in the population...
- A replicated molecular genetic basis for subtyping antisocial behavior in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderAvshalom Caspi
Medical Research Council Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, England
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:203-10. 2008..Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a heterogeneous neurodevelopmental disorder that in some cases is accompanied by antisocial behavior...
- The role of genes and environment in shaping co-occurrence of DSM-IV defined anxiety dimensions among Italian twins aged 8-17Anna Ogliari
The Academic Centre for the Study of Behavioural Plasticity, Vita Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy
J Anxiety Disord 24:433-9. 2010....
- Population-based family studies in genetic epidemiologyJohn L Hopper
University of Melbourne, Centre for Molecular, Environmental, Genetic and Analytic Epidemiology, 723 Swanston Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Lancet 366:1397-406. 2005..Given their versatility, population-based family studies could become a principal framework in epidemiology, and move genetics from its traditional focus on high-risk families to give it a wider clinical and population health relevance...
- Comorbidity with low back pain: a cross-sectional population-based survey of 12- to 22-year-oldsLise Hestbaek
Back Research Center, Ringe, Denmark
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1483-91; discussion 1492. 2004..Cross-sectional, population-based survey...
- Discordant KCNQ1OT1 imprinting in sets of monozygotic twins discordant for Beckwith-Wiedemann syndromeRosanna Weksberg
Division of Clinical and Metabolic Genetics and the Research Institute, Department of Paediatrics Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hum Mol Genet 11:1317-25. 2002..These data underscore the importance of continued surveillance of children born following assisted reproductive technologies that impact the preimplantation embryo...
- The genetics of anorexia nervosaCynthia M Bulik
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 27:263-75. 2007..With these bodies of literature as a starting point, we evaluate critically the current state of research on molecular genetic studies of anorexia nervosa and provide guidance for future research...
- Exploring the relationship between autistic-like traits and ADHD behaviors in early childhood: findings from a community twin study of 2-year-oldsAngelica Ronald
Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development, School of Psychology, Birkbeck College, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX, UK
J Abnorm Child Psychol 38:185-96. 2010..27) as well as some common environmental influences explaining their covariation. Implications for identifying shared biological pathways underlying autistic-like traits and ADHD behaviors are discussed...
- Alcohol consumption indices of genetic risk for alcohol dependenceJulia D Grant
Midwest Alcoholism Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Biol Psychiatry 66:795-800. 2009..A high genetic correlation between these measures would suggest that a continuous measure of consumption may have a useful role in the discovery of genes contributing to dependence risk...
- Genetic aspects of normal and disturbed sleepMehdi Tafti
Center for Integrative Genomics, University of Lausanne, Genopode, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Sleep Med 10:S17-21. 2009....
- Life satisfaction and depression in a 15-year follow-up of healthy adultsHeli Koivumaa-Honkanen
Dept of Psychiatry 2700, Kuopio University Hospital, P O B 1777, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 39:994-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate the cross-sectional and longitudinal relationship between life satisfaction and depressive symptoms in healthy adults...
- Sex differences in the genetic and environmental influences on the development of antisocial behaviorKristen C Jacobson
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, USA
Dev Psychopathol 14:395-416. 2002..We speculate that sex differences in timing of puberty may account for the earlier presence of genetic effects among females...
- A Swedish national twin study of lifetime major depressionKenneth S Kendler
Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0126, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:109-14. 2006..It is not known whether genetic effects on major depression are constant across historical cohorts...
- Stable genetic influence on anxiety-related behaviours across middle childhoodMaciej Trzaskowski
King s College London, MRC Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, Box PO80, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK
J Abnorm Child Psychol 40:85-94. 2012..In contrast, though more varied, heterotypic continuity between some traits (i.e. the change from one type of anxiety-related behaviour into another over time) was mainly due to shared-environmental factors...
- Congenital heart disease in a population of dizygotic twins: an echocardiographic studySalvatore Caputo
Pediatric Cardiology, Second University of Naples, Monaldi Hospital, Naples, Italy
Int J Cardiol 102:293-6. 2005..Dizygotic twins are siblings with different genes, growing together in the same womb...
- Prevalence, heritability, and prospective risk factors for anorexia nervosaCynthia M Bulik
Department of Psychiatry, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:305-12. 2006..Anorexia nervosa (AN) is a serious mental illness with marked morbidity and mortality...
- The Autism--Tics, AD/HD and other Comorbidities (A-TAC) telephone interview: convergence with the Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL)Sara Lina Hansson Halleröd
Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo, Lund University, Sege Park 8A, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Nord J Psychiatry 64:218-24. 2010....
- Adiposity is inversely related to insulin sensitivity in relatively lean Chinese adolescents: a population-based twin studyFengxiu Ouyang
Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 91:662-71. 2010..Adolescence is a critical period for rising adiposity and falling insulin sensitivity (IS), but the independent relation between adiposity and IS remains understudied...
- Genetic predisposition to organ-specific endpoints of alcoholismT Reed
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 20:1528-33. 1996....
- Failure to confirm CNVs as of aetiological significance in twin pairs discordant for schizophreniaShinji Ono
Department of Human Genetics, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Japan
Twin Res Hum Genet 13:455-60. 2010..Schizophrenia caused by strong genetics factors including copy number alteration or gene mutation may be a small subset of the clinical population...
- Influence of twin-twin transfusion syndrome on fetal cardiovascular structure and function: prospective case-control study of 136 monochorionic twin pregnanciesA A Karatza
Department of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Queen Charlotte s and Chelsea Hospital, Imperial College, London, UK
Heart 88:271-7. 2002..To test the hypothesis that identical twins show no inter-twin differences in cardiovascular structure or physiology in fetal life unless there has been twin-twin transfusion syndrome...
- Gray and white matter volume abnormalities in monozygotic and same-gender dizygotic twins discordant for schizophreniaHilleke E Hulshoff Pol
Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biol Psychiatry 55:126-30. 2004....
- Phenotypic and genetic differentiation of anxiety-related behaviors in middle childhoodVictoria Hallett
Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, UK
Depress Anxiety 26:316-24. 2009..This study aimed to examine both the phenotypic and genetic differentiation of ARB subtypes within the general population at age 7 and 9. It constituted a follow-up to an earlier study of ARBs in preschool children...
- Familial aggregation of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisFang Fang
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Neurol 66:94-9. 2009..To assess the relative risk for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in families of ALS patients...
- A longitudinal study of personality and major depression in a population-based sample of male twinsAyman H Fanous
Washington VA Medical Center, Washington, DC 20422, USA
Psychol Med 37:1163-72. 2007..The relationship between personality and psychiatric illness is complex. It is not clear whether one directly causes the other...
- Gene expression in peripheral blood leukocytes in monozygotic twins discordant for chronic fatigue: no evidence of a biomarkerAndrea Byrnes
Department of Genetics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e5805. 2009..Chronic fatiguing illness remains a poorly understood syndrome of unknown pathogenesis. We attempted to identify biomarkers for chronic fatiguing illness using microarrays to query the transcriptome in peripheral blood leukocytes...
- The UK Adult Twin Registry (TwinsUK)Tim D Spector
Twin Research and Genetic Epidemiology Unit, Kings College London, St Thomas Hospital Campus, London, UK
Twin Res Hum Genet 9:899-906. 2006..The resource has led to many successful and innovative research projects particularly in common age-related diseases, and has led to collaborations with over 80 groups worldwide...
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a selective overviewJoseph Biederman
Department of Pediatric Psychopharmacology Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Biol Psychiatry 57:1215-20. 2005..Such alterations in dopaminergic and noradrenergic function are apparently necessary for the clinical efficacy of pharmacologic treatments of ADHD...
- Genetic and environmental factors in complex diseases: the older Finnish Twin CohortJaakko Kaprio
Dept of Public Health, University of Helsinki, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Twin Res 5:358-65. 2002..Finally, the inclusion of DNA-based genetic information in a phenotypically rich family data base will offer a unique resource for research in genetic epidemiology and behavioral medicine...
- The five-factor model of personality and borderline personality disorder: a genetic analysis of comorbidityMarijn A Distel
Department of Biological Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biol Psychiatry 66:1131-8. 2009....
- Genetic and environmental contributions to phenotypic components of metabolic syndrome: a population-based twin studyShanchun Zhang
Mary Ann and J Milburn Smith Child Health Research Program, Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Children s Memorial Hospital and Children s Memorial Research Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:1581-7. 2009..Our study underscores the importance of examining MS components as intercorrelated traits, and to carefully consider environmental and genetic factors in studying MS etiology...
- Boundaries of major depression: an evaluation of DSM-IV criteriaK S Kendler
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, USA
Am J Psychiatry 155:172-7. 1998..Little is known about the boundaries between major depression and milder subsyndromal depressive states. With respect to depressive symptoms, does DSM-IV "carve nature at its joints"?..
- Amygdala responses to emotional faces in twins discordant or concordant for the risk for anxiety and depressionSaskia P A Wolfensberger
Department of Psychiatry, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroimage 41:544-52. 2008..To account for these discrepant findings, we hypothesize that genetic and environmental risk factors differently impact on amygdala functioning...
- Epidemiology and course of anorexia nervosa in the communityAnna Keski-Rahkonen
Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:1259-65. 2007..The authors sought to describe the onset and outcomes of anorexia nervosa in the general population...
- Common genetic vulnerability for nicotine and alcohol dependence in menW R True
School of Public Health, St Louis University Health Sciences Center, MO, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 56:655-61. 1999..We examined data from male twin pairs to determine whether there are genetic or environmental influences common to nicotine and alcohol dependence, and, if so, to estimate the magnitude and correlation of these influences...
- Incidence and outcomes of bulimia nervosa: a nationwide population-based studyA Keski-Rahkonen
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland
Psychol Med 39:823-31. 2009..Little is known about the epidemiology of bulimia nervosa outside clinical settings. We report the incidence, prevalence and outcomes of bulimia nervosa using for the first time a nationwide study design...
- Markers of viral infection in monozygotic twins discordant for chronic fatigue syndromeDavid M Koelle
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:518-25. 2002..For all assays, results did not differ between the group of twins with CFS and the healthy twins...
- Changes in the pattern of DNA methylation associate with twin discordance in systemic lupus erythematosusBiola M Javierre
Chromatin and Disease Group, Cancer Epigenetics and Biology Programme PEBC, Bellvitge Biomedical Research Institute IDIBELL, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona 08907, Spain
Genome Res 20:170-9. 2010....
- The interaction of stressful life events and a serotonin transporter polymorphism in the prediction of episodes of major depression: a replicationKenneth S Kendler
Virginia Institute for Psychiatry and Behavioral Genetics, Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:529-35. 2005..Prior evidence from twin studies suggested genetic moderation of the depressogenic effects of stressful life events (SLEs). Can the specific genes involved in this effect be identified?..
- Genetic and environmental sources of covariation between generalized anxiety disorder and neuroticismJohn M Hettema
Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Virginia Commonwealth University, P O Box 980126, Richmond, VA 23298 0126, USA
Am J Psychiatry 161:1581-7. 2004..Because women have higher levels of neuroticism and twice the risk of lifetime generalized anxiety disorder of men, gender-specific effects were also explored...
- Genetic and environmental factors in relative body weight and human adiposityH H Maes
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
Behav Genet 27:325-51. 1997..These results are consistent with other studies in suggesting that genetic factors play a significant role in the causes of individual differences in relative body weight and human adiposity...
- Twins early development study (TEDS): a multivariate, longitudinal genetic investigation of language, cognition and behavior problems in childhoodAlexandra Trouton
Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Research Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, UK
Twin Res 5:444-8. 2002..DNA has been obtained so far for more than 4000 pairs and is being used initially in molecular genetic studies of language problems and hyperactivity...
- A genomewide association study of nicotine and alcohol dependence in Australian and Dutch populationsPenelope A Lind
Genetic Epidemiology, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
Twin Res Hum Genet 13:10-29. 2010..Further studies will be required before the detailed causes of comorbidity between AD and ND are understood...
- Infants with Bochdalek diaphragmatic hernia: sibling precurrence and monozygotic twin discordance in a hospital-based malformation surveillance programBarbara R Pober
Genetics and Teratology, MassGeneral Hospital for Children, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Med Genet A 138:81-8. 2005..The twin data also raise the possibility that epigenetic abnormalities contribute to the development of CDH...
- Sex differences in genetic and environmental influences on obsessive-compulsive symptoms in South Korean adolescent and young adult twinsYoon Mi Hur
Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea
Twin Res Hum Genet 11:314-20. 2008..41%) for the MOCIT was higher in males than in females. However, shared environmental influences did not attain statistical significance perhaps due to insufficient statistical power...
- A population-based twin study of the relationship between neuroticism and internalizing disordersJohn M Hettema
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Commonwealth University, P O Box 980126, Richmond, VA 23298 0126, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:857-64. 2006..The authors examined how genetic and environmental factors shared by the personality trait neuroticism and seven internalizing disorders may help explain this comorbidity...
- Do we need more twin studies? The Healthy Twin Study, KoreaJoohon Sung
Int J Epidemiol 35:488-90. 2006
- The impact of environmental experiences on symptoms of anxiety and depression across the life spanKenneth S Kendler
Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Psychol Sci 22:1343-52. 2011..By middle adulthood, environmental experiences contributed substantially to stable and predictable interindividual differences in levels of anxiety and depression...
- Increased prevalence of cardiovascular defects among 56,709 California twin pairsJ Hardin
March of Dimes Research Division, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California 94609, USA
Am J Med Genet A 149:877-86. 2009..Increased concordance for flow lesions in monozygotic twins was observed, an observation that is in agreement with findings from familial recurrence studies of cardiovascular defects...
- Fetal deaths with birth defects among Japanese multiples, 1974Y Imaizumi
Institute of Population Problems, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Genet Med Gemellol (Roma) 39:345-50. 1990..The second-born twins had birth defects more frequently than the first-born twins among fetal deaths (28 vs 6)...
- Etiology of obsessions and compulsions: a behavioral-genetic analysisSteven Taylor
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Abnorm Psychol 119:672-82. 2010..Gene-environment interactions were identified. Implications for an etiology-based classification system are discussed...
- Child psychiatric symptoms and psychosocial impairment: relationship and prognostic significanceA Pickles
School of Epidemiology and Health Science, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Br J Psychiatry 179:230-5. 2001..Relatively little is known about the relationships between psychiatric symptoms, diagnosis and psychosocial impairment...
- Feeling anxious: a twin study of panic/somatic ratings, anxiety sensitivity and heartbeat perception in childrenThalia C Eley
Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 48:1184-91. 2007..We examined genetic and environmental influences on childhood AS, HBP, panic/somatic ratings, and their associations...
- Alternative factor models and heritability of the Short Leyton Obsessional Inventory-Children's VersionJanette Moore
Centre for Public Health, Department of Psychiatry, Queen s University of Belfast, Whitla Medical Building, 97Lisburn Road, Belfast, BT9 7BL, UK
J Abnorm Child Psychol 38:921-34. 2010..The correlation between the additive genetic effects for these two dimensions in males was 0.95 suggesting they largely share the same genetic risk factors...
- A controlled study of brain structure in monozygotic twins concordant and discordant for schizophreniaNeeltje E M van Haren
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biol Psychiatry 56:454-61. 2004..We examined monozygotic twins concordant and discordant for schizophrenia to clarify the role of genetic and environmental factors in determining brain abnormalities...
- Genetic and environmental influences on the rate of progression to alcohol dependence in young womenCarolyn E Sartor
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:632-8. 2008....
- Genetic and environmental influences on the relationship between peer alcohol use and own alcohol use in adolescentsTom Fowler
Department of Psychological Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Addiction 102:894-903. 2007..Genetically influenced aspects of adolescent behaviour can play a role in alcohol use and peer affiliation. We explored the correlations between friends' alcohol use and adolescent own use with a genetically sensitive design...
- A developmental twin study of church attendance and alcohol and nicotine consumption: a model for analyzing the changing impact of genes and environmentKenneth S Kendler
Department of Psychiatry and the Virginia Institute for Psychiatricand Behavioral Genetics, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, VA 23298 0126, USA
Am J Psychiatry 166:1150-5. 2009....
- Velamentous cord insertion in monochorionic twin gestation. An added risk factorG A Machin
Department of Genetics, Permanente Medical Group, Oakland, California 94611 5693, USA
J Reprod Med 42:785-9. 1997..To study the effects of umbilical cord insertion combinations on outcomes in monochorionic (MC) twin placentas...
- Longitudinal modeling of genetic and environmental influences on self-reported availability of psychoactive substances: alcohol, cigarettes, marijuana, cocaine and stimulantsNathan A Gillespie
Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Institute of Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23219 1534, USA
Psychol Med 37:947-59. 2007..Although an obvious environmental factor influencing drug use, the sources of individual differences in drug availability (DA) are unknown...
- The epidemiology of sudden infant death syndromeM J Platt
FSID Unit of Perinatal and Paediatic Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, Muspratt Laboratory, Liverpool L69 3GB, UK
Arch Dis Child 88:27-9. 2003..Twins compared to singletons are at increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)...
- Volumes of brain structures in twins discordant for schizophreniaW F Baaré
Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:33-40. 2001..The study was designed to examine the relative contributions of genetic and nongenetic factors to structural brain abnormalities in schizophrenia and subjects at risk to develop the disorder...
- Associations between ADH gene variants and alcohol phenotypes in Dutch adultsJenny H D A van Beek
Department of Biological Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Twin Res Hum Genet 13:30-42. 2010..Although these findings do not replicate the earlier findings at the SNP level, the results confirm the role of the ADH gene cluster in alcohol phenotypes...
- Intrauterine growth restriction in monochorionic twinsZoi Russell
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Florida, 4 Columbia Drive, Suite 529, Tampa, FL 33606, USA
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 12:439-49. 2007..The latter can be achieved by laser photocoagulation of communicating vessels or by umbilical-cord occlusion. The purpose of this chapter is to review this important entity in obstetrics...
- Mutations in IRF6 cause Van der Woude and popliteal pterygium syndromesShinji Kondo
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Nat Genet 32:285-9. 2002..Our observations demonstrate that haploinsufficiency of IRF6 disrupts orofacial development and are consistent with dominant-negative mutations disturbing development of the skin and genitalia...
- Genetic modelling of childhood social development and personality in twins and siblings with schizophreniaM M Picchioni
Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Psychol Med 40:1305-16. 2010..This study aimed to establish the degree to which these childhood and adolescent developmental abnormalities are genetically determined...
- Sudden infant death syndrome in twins and singletonsPeter O D Pharoah
Department of Public Health, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Twin Res Hum Genet 10:644-8. 2007..As congenital cerebral anomalies are a feature of many monozygous twin conceptions, a detailed macro- and microscopical examination of the brain in twin SIDS may indicate an otherwise unrecognised pathology...
- Joubert syndrome: monozygotic twins with discordant phenotypesH R Raynes
Department of Neurology, Jacobi and Montefiore Medical Centers, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
J Child Neurol 14:649-54; discussion 669-72 discussio. 1999..Phenotypic differences between the twins could be attributable to postzygotic unequal division of the inner cell mass, unequal sharing of the venous return from a monochorionic placenta, mosaicism, or a mutation of a modifying gene...
- Genetics of body mass stability and risk for chronic disease: a 28-year longitudinal studyCarol E Franz
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, United States of America
Twin Res Hum Genet 10:537-45. 2007..Our results also provide prospective evidence that early excess BMI may have serious long-term health consequences, and that this risk is not limited to minorities or adults of lower socioeconomic status...
- Random T-cell receptor recruitment in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1)-specific CD8+ T cells from genetically identical twins infected with the same HIV-1 strainXu G Yu
Partners AIDS Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
J Virol 81:12666-9. 2007....
- Effects of the family environment: gene-environment interaction and passive gene-environment correlationThomas S Price
Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Psychol 44:305-15. 2008....
- Life events, anxious depression and personality: a prospective and genetic studyC M Middeldorp
Department of Biological Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Van der Boechorststraat 1, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 38:1557-65. 2008..The effect of genes that influence environmental exposure might be mediated through personality and we therefore also examined the association between life events and personality (neuroticism and extraversion)...
- Discordant pursuit asymmetry and esotropia in monozygous twinsPradeep Sharma
Department of Ophthalmology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 134:143-6. 2002..To report the relationship between infantile esotropia and asymmetry of monocular pursuit tracking...
- Long-read sequence analysis of the MECP2 gene in Rett syndrome patients: correlation of disease severity with mutation type and locationJ P Cheadle
Institute of Medical Genetics, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XN, UK
Hum Mol Genet 9:1119-29. 2000..0023), and milder disease was associated with late as compared with early truncating mutations ( P = 0.0190)...
- Concordance of strabismic phenotypes in monozygotic versus multizygotic twins and other multiple birthsToshihiko Matsuo
Department of Ophthalmology, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama City, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 46:59-64. 2002..The concordance of strabismic phenotypes was examined in monozygotic versus multizygotic twins and other multiple births to study the role of genetic background in different types of commitant strabismus...
- Maternal ratings of attention problems in ADHD: evidence for the existence of a continuumGitta H Lubke
Department of Psychology, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 48:1085-93. 2009....
- Gender differences in the heritability of seasonal mood changeK L Jang
Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Psychiatry Res 70:145-54. 1997..5%) and females (median, 30.5%). For both sexes, weight changes were not heritable. Sex-by-genotype analyses suggested that the genetic factors influencing female seasonality may not be the same as those influencing male seasonality...
- The danish twin registry: past and presentBent Harvald
The Danish Twin Registry, Epidemiology, Department of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Twin Res 7:318-35. 2004..The Danish Twin Registry was established formally in 1954 and thus celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2004. Here we give an account of its founding and the early years, and a brief summary of more recent progress...
- Discordant Duane's retraction syndrome in monozygotic twinsD E Smith
Kansas University Medical Center, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 122:749-50. 1996..To evaluate whether differences in the intrauterine environment caused discordant Duane's retraction syndrome in monozygotic twins...
- Prevalence, concordance, and heritability of Scheuermann kyphosis based on a study of twinsFrank Damborg
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Spine Section, University Hospital of Odense, Soender Boulevard 29, DK 5000 Odense, Denmark
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:2133-6. 2006..These estimates indicate to what extent genetic factors contribute to the etiology of this disease...
- Fetal growth and the fetal origins hypothesis in twins--problems and perspectivesD I Phillips
MRC Unit University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, UK
Twin Res 4:327-31. 2001..While, these findings may reflect methodological limitations, it is also argued that they arise as a consequence of the substantially different biology of fetal growth in twins...
- Risk of oral clefts in twinsDorthe Grosen
Department of Epidemiology, Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Epidemiology 22:313-9. 2011..Small studies have indicated that twinning increases the risk of oral cleft...
- 1995 Volvo Award in clinical sciences. Determinants of lumbar disc degeneration. A study relating lifetime exposures and magnetic resonance imaging findings in identical twinsM C Battié
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2601-12. 1995..Retrospective cohort...
- Prefrontal and striatal volumes in monozygotic twins concordant and discordant for schizophreniaUlrich Ettinger
Department of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilians University, Nussbaumstr 7, 80336, Munich, Germany
Schizophr Bull 38:192-203. 2012..There were no significant group differences in IFC and the striatum. We conclude that the prefrontal cortex shows a heterogeneous pattern of genetic influences on volumetric reductions in schizophrenia...
- The Twin Spine Study: contributions to a changing view of disc degenerationMichele C Battie
Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Spine J 9:47-59. 2009..The Twin Spine Study, a research program on the etiology and pathogenesis of disc degeneration, has contributed to a substantial revision of this view of determinants of lumbar disc degeneration...
- Toward a comprehensive developmental model for major depression in menKenneth S Kendler
Virginia Institute for Psychiatry and Behavioral Genetics and the Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0126, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:115-24. 2006..In 2002, the authors presented a developmental model for major depression in women. Based on similar methods, they here present an analogous model for men...
- Personality and major depression: a Swedish longitudinal, population-based twin studyKenneth S Kendler
Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:1113-20. 2006..Prior studies suggest that the personality traits of neuroticism and extroversion may be related to the liability to major depression (MD)...
- TwinningJudith G Hall
Department of Paediatrics, 4480 Oak Street, Room 2D19, British Columbia s Children s Hospital, BC, V6H 3V4, Vancouver, Canada
Lancet 362:735-43. 2003....
- Impact of genetics in childhood asthmaLeonardo A Pinto
Instituto de Pesquisas Biomédicas, Hospital Sao Lucas, Pontificia Universidade Catolica do Rio Grande do Sul PUCRS, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Pediatr (Rio J) 84:S68-75. 2008..To present the most important and recent results of studies on asthma genetics. These data may help general physicians understand the impact of genetics on this complex disorder and how genes and polymorphisms influence asthma and atopy...
- Twin concordance and sibling recurrence rates in multiple sclerosisC J Willer
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford OX3 7BN, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:12877-82. 2003..8%) for female DZ pairs. We did not demonstrate an MZ/DZ difference in males, although the sample size was small. We observed a 2-fold increase in risk to DZ twins over nontwin siblings of twins, but the difference was not significant...
- Role of genes and environments for explaining Alzheimer diseaseMargaret Gatz
Department of Psychology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90089 1061, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:168-74. 2006..Twin studies using selected samples have shown high heritability for Alzheimer disease (AD)...
- Complete ascertainment of dementia in the Swedish Twin Registry: the HARMONY studyMargaret Gatz
Department of Psychology, University of Southern California, 3620 McClintock Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089 1061, USA
Neurobiol Aging 26:439-47. 2005..Among monozygotic twins where both twins had Alzheimer's disease, the within pair difference in age of onset ranged from both becoming demented in the same year to 7 years difference in onset...
- Heterogeneity of type I diabetes: analysis of monozygotic twins in Great Britain and the United StatesM J Redondo
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Box B140, 4200 East 9th Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Diabetologia 44:354-62. 2001..An age-related heterogeneity was observed, with higher progression to diabetes for twins of patients diagnosed at a younger age...
- The influence of genetic factors and life stress on depression among adolescent girlsJ Silberg
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298 0003, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 56:225-32. 1999....
- Rethinking shared environment as a source of variance underlying attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms: comment on Burt (2009)Alexis C Wood
Department of Epidemiology and Section on Statistical Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Psychol Bull 136:331-40. 2010..We offer suggestions for future research to address these issues, and we emphasize the need for additional research to examine possible shared environmental factors related to ADHD...
- A common genetic factor underlies hypertension and other cardiovascular disordersFrances M K Williams
Twin Research and Genetic Epidemiology Unit, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 4:20. 2004..This study used a classical twin design to examine whether these conditions are linked through shared environmental exposures or by a common underlying genetic propensity to vasospasm...
- The Epidemiology of Mood, Anxiety and Alcohol DisorderKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Axis I & Axis II Psychiatric Disorders in Norwegian TwinKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study has the capacity to address several key and largely unanswered empirical questions about PDs, the answers to which will be critical for proposed revisions in DSM-V. ..
- A Twin-Family Study of Drug Use, Abuse, and DependenceKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- THE GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF SCHIZOPHRENIA IN IRELANDKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this competitive renewal, we request 5 further years of support with the primary goals of identifying these pathogenic variant(s) and relating them to the biology of the gene, gene product and disease. ..
- An Irish Affected Sib Pair Study of Alcohol DependenceKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2005..To conduct this project we have assembled a team of experts in clinical assessment, statistical genetics and molecular genetics...
- Heritability of Transitions in Women's Alcohol Use/DependenceCarolyn Sartor; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dementia in Swedish Twins Data ArchivingMargaret Gatz; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic Epidemiology of Pathological GamblingWendy Slutske; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEMENTIA IN SWEDISH TWINSMargaret Gatz; Fiscal Year: 2002..Different diagnostic criteria will be compared. Quantitative indices will be derived from neuropsychological scores and from neuroimaging data subjected to quantitative mapping. ..
- A Twin Study of Cognitive Outcomes in Older Adult CancerMargaret Gatz; Fiscal Year: 2006..Through abstracting data from cancer treatment records and linking them to existing datasets, we will be able to examine possible longer term effects, along with likely covariates, with optimal comparison groups. ..
- SES, health behaviors and CVD among Vietnam-era-TwinsJeanne McCaffery; Fiscal Year: 2005..The primary method of analysis will be twin structural equation modeling. ..
- Genetic Predictors of Comorbid Depressive Symptoms + CADJeanne McCaffery; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- ASSORTMENT AND TRANSMISSION OF ALCOHOL AND TOBACCO USEChandra Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Influence on Personality DisorderJeanette Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Familial Transmission of Eating Pathology & Sex HormonesKelly Klump; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Cholesterol metabolism pathway: Cognitive change and Alzheimer's disease riskChandra A Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Latent Growth Curve Paths to Longevity: The Terman StudyChandra Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic and Environmental Risk for Eating DisordersKelly Klump; Fiscal Year: 2003..Findings from this study will significantly increase understanding of developmental risk factors for eating disorders and potentially inform intervention and prevention efforts aimed at their amelioration. ..
- Working Memory and Social Functioning in SchizophreniaTyrone Cannon; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms Linking Depression to Cardiovascular RiskViola Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- The VETSA Longitudinal Twin Study of Cortisol and AgingWilliam Kremen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using multivariate twin analytic approaches, we will determine the extent of genetic, and shared and unique environmental factors influencing cortisol in midlife as well as their association with other key measures. ..
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Cardiovascular DiseaseViola Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2007..Efforts toward the prevention, early identification and treatment of PTSD and the identification of factors that mediate its adverse effects could reduce morbidity and mortality from CVD. ..
- Neural Phenotypes for Schizophrenia and Bipolar DisorderTyrone D Cannon; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Environmental Risks for Smoking: A Genetically Informed Children of Twins DesignHong Xian; Fiscal Year: 2009..The strengths of the application are the availability of smoking, psychiatric data &environmental constructs that have been previously collected from twins, offspring &mothers. ..
- 2/2 A genome-wide association study to detect genetic variation for schizophreniaPatrick F Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Case-finding efforts could be greatly improved and we could learn far more about how this devastating disease develops. ..
- Genetic Epidemiology of Eating Disordered BehaviorSuzanne Mazzeo; Fiscal Year: 2008..It will also provide Dr. Mazzeo with the requisite training to become an independent investigator in the genetic epidemiology of eating disorders. ..
- Preventing Psychiatric Sequelae of Traumatic InjuryMurray Stein; Fiscal Year: 2003..Findings will provide justification for and information about optimal parameters (e.g., subject selection; sample size; dose and duration) for a future randomized controlled trial (RCT). ..
- Pharmacological fMRI to Identify New Anxiolytics: A Human BioassayMurray Stein; Fiscal Year: 2008..Enhancing the development of new treatments for anxiety is a public health priority. The projects proposed in this application have the potential to achieve this important aim. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development Epidemiology of PTSDKarestan Koenen; Fiscal Year: 2008..This work will help the development of prevention and treatment interventions for traumatized individuals and will contribute to our understanding of the etiology of PTSD. ..
- Major Depression: Stage 1 Genomewide Association in Population-Based SamplesPatrick Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2007..This is arguably the best and most comprehensive sample collection for MDD in the world. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Identification of Susceptibility Genes for the Anxiety DisordersJOHN HETTEMA; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DSM-IV ADHD IN AN ETHNICALLY DIVERSE COMMUNITY SAMPLEErik Willcutt; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Determinants of PTSD in WomenKarestan C Koenen; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- AUSTRALASIAN COLORECTAL CANCER FAMILY REGISTRYJohn Hopper; Fiscal Year: 2007..i ..
- The Efficacy of Reiki in the Treatment of Fibromyalgia & CFSDedra Buchwald; Fiscal Year: 2003..This pilot study could potentially impact the clinical care of the estimated 6 million Americans with FM, and shape the design of future larger, randomized, placebo-controlled trials of Reiki and other energy therapies. ..
- High-risk health behaviors, health services use & agingJames Romeis; Fiscal Year: 2003..The research project will add significantly to the literature on the role of genetics in understanding persistence of high- risk behaviors in the context of aging. ..
- Determinants of Behavioral DevelopmentSally J Wadsworth; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, the continuation of HD010333 will provide the foundation for a truly unique adoption study of behavioral development, spanning Infancy through early adulthood. ..
- GENETIC AND MOLECULAR BASIS OF FAMILIAL COLD URTICARIAHarold Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2002..The achievement of these goals will result in identification of the gene responsible for familial cold urticaria which will ultimately lead to an understanding of the mechanism of the inflammatory response to a physical stimulus. ..
- MEDIATION AND MODERATION OF GENETIC RISK FOR ALCOHOLISMCarol Prescott; Fiscal Year: 2002..To facilitate this, the candidate will obtain training in behavioral pharmacology and molecular genetics. ..
- IMPROVING CARE FOR PANIC DISORDER IN PRIMARY CAREMurray Stein; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Twin Study of ADHD, CD and Substance AbuseWilliam G Iacono; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Improving Outcomes in Pharmacotherapy of Social PhobiaMurray Stein; Fiscal Year: 2009..It thus directly addresses a critical public health issue that adversely affects a substantial proportion of the population. ..
- Etiology of Reading Disabilities and Comorbid ADHDErik Willcutt; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- 1/5-The Psychiatric GWAS Consortium: Integrated & Coordinated GWAS Meta-AnalysesPatrick Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the PGC proposes to abide as fully as possible with the NIH's GWAS data sharing policies and we provide a detailed data sharing plan and timetable. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RISK FACTORS FOR YOUNG ADULT HODGKIN'S DISEASE IN TWINSWendy Cozen; Fiscal Year: 2004..6 and as high as 2.0 at 80% power. A matched case-control analysis will be performed using multivariate logistic regression in SAS. ..
- TWIN FAMILY STUDY OF VULNERABILITY TO SUBSTANCE ABUSEWilliam Iacono; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Validity of DSM-IV ADHD Subtypes in a Community SampleErik Willcutt; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Cytokine Polymorphisms and Hodgkin Lymphoma RiskWendy Cozen; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study is important since it may will lead to identification of causal genetic factors which may offer alternative therapeutic strategies or prevention. ..
- GENETIC & ENVIRONMENT DETERMINANTS OF SMOKING CESSATIONPatrick Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Genetics of Fear and Anxiety DisordersJOHN HETTEMA; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Gene-enviornment interactions in facial cleftsKaare Christensen; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study will provide a new level of understanding for a complex birth defect trait. ..
- Risk Factors for Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma in TwinsWendy Cozen; Fiscal Year: 2006..6 and as high as 1.8. A matched case-control analysis using SAS will be performed using multivariate logistic regression. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Causes of Comorbidity:Substance Use Disorder, ADHD & CDSoo Rhee; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Microarrays & Proteomics in MZ Twins Discordant for CFSPatrick Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2006..If successful, this work could lead to profound changes in the understanding of CFS and resolution of some attendant controversies. ..
- Novel regulatory role of cryopyrin in inflammationHarold Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Longitudinal Twin Study of Reading DisabilitySally Wadsworth; Fiscal Year: 2006..Univariate and bivariate QTL analyses of reading deficits and ADHD, reading component processes and other psychopathology will also be conducted. ..
- Replication of Schizophrenia Associations in CATIEPatrick Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe that the results of our study will be highly informative and are essential to the field at this critical juncture in the hunt for genes mediating liability to schizophrenia. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neuroanatomy and Cognition in Velocardiofacial SyndromeWendy Kates; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DETECTING SUSCEPTIBILITY LOCI FOR RECURRENT DEPRESSIONPatrick Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiologic Study of Placental AbruptionCande Ananth; Fiscal Year: 2006..It will also add substantial new evidence for associations of several genetic thrombophilias and abruption risk. ..
- Androgen Receptor as a Biomarker in Prostate Cancer ProgressionAnn Hamilton; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will also lay the groundwork for larger studies examining. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Electrophysiology and Neurocognition in SchizophreniaPeter Bachman; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Vitamins, Breast Milk HIV Shedding and Child HealthEduardo Villamor; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biological Factors for Age-Related Macular DegenerationJohanna Seddon; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Chromosome Analysis of Single CellsBrynn Levy; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- GENETICS OF ADHDJosephine Elia; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dr. Douglas Levinson will provide mentoring in statistical methods and data analyses and Dr. Judith Rapoport will provide mentoring in defining novel phenotypic definitions for ADHD. ..
- Genetic Determinants of Bipolar DisorderJordan Smoller; Fiscal Year: 2007..An important dividend of this large study will be the expansion of the repository to include DNA data on relatives and on an independent sample of controls, thus facilitating future genetic studies. ..
- Longitudinal Effects of Sleep Problems on CognitionNAOMI FRIEDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..These proposed analyses will result in more comprehensive and powerful models of sleep problems and cognitive function. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..