Genomes and Genes
Summary: The abrupt cessation of all vital bodily functions, manifested by the permanent loss of total cerebral, respiratory, and cardiovascular functions.
Publications268 found, 100 shown here
- Risk factors in sudden death in epilepsy (SUDEP): the quest for mechanismsLina Nashef
Neurology Department, Kings College Hospital, London, UK
Epilepsia 48:859-71. 2007....
- Sudden death in growth hormone-treated children with Prader-Willi syndromeGuy Van Vliet
Departments of Pediatrics and Pathology, Sainte Justine Hospital and Research Center, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Pediatr 144:129-31. 2004..Autopsy showed multifocal bronchopneumonia. This case and two others recently published suggest that growth hormone may be associated with obstructive apnea, respiratory infection, and sudden death in this condition.
- Tissue and organ donation for research in forensic pathology: the MRC Sudden Death Brain and Tissue BankT Millar
Neuropathology Unit, University of Edinburgh, Alexander Donald Building, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK
J Pathol 213:369-75. 2007..The potential for acquisition of normal CNS and non-CNS tissues and of various hard-to-get CNS disorders suggests that efforts to access the forensic post mortem service for research material are eminently worthwhile...
- Anesthetic- and heat-induced sudden death in calsequestrin-1-knockout miceMarco Dainese
Ce S I Department of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences, Interuniversity Institute of Myology, University G D Annunzio, I 66013 Chieti, Italy
FASEB J 23:1710-20. 2009..that CASQ1-null mice exhibit increased spontaneous mortality and susceptibility to heat- and anesthetic-induced sudden death. Exposure of CASQ1-null mice to either 2% halothane or heat stress triggers lethal episodes characterized by ..
- Cardiac-myocyte-specific excision of the vinculin gene disrupts cellular junctions, causing sudden death or dilated cardiomyopathyAlice E Zemljic-Harpf
Department of Medicine, UCSD School of Medicine, La Jolla, California, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:7522-37. 2007..b>Sudden death was found in 49% of the knockout (cVclKO) mice younger than 3 months of age despite preservation of contractile ..
- Sudden death in young adults: a 25-year review of autopsies in military recruitsRobert E Eckart
Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Ann Intern Med 141:829-34. 2004b>Sudden death among military recruits is a rare but devastating occurrence...
- RyR1 S-nitrosylation underlies environmental heat stroke and sudden death in Y522S RyR1 knockin miceWilliam J Durham
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cell 133:53-65. 2008..We propose a feed-forward cyclic mechanism that increases the temperature sensitivity of RyR1 activation and underlies heat stroke and sudden death. The cycle eventually produces a myopathy with damaged mitochondria.
- Mice with cardiac-restricted angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) have atrial enlargement, cardiac arrhythmia, and sudden deathHong D Xiao
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Pathol 165:1019-32. 2004..Despite near normal blood pressure and a normal renal function, ACE 8/8 mice have a high incidence of sudden death. Both histological analysis and in vivo catheterization of the heart showed normal ventricular size and ..
- The CETP TaqIB polymorphism is associated with the risk of sudden death in type 2 diabetic patientsIsabelle Porchay-Baldérelli
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U695, Genetic Determinants for Type 2 Diabetes and Its Vascular Complications, Paris, France
Diabetes Care 30:2863-7. 2007Type 2 diabetic patients have a high risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) and sudden death. This cardiovascular risk can be partly attributed to low levels of HDL cholesterol...
- Cocaine-induced channelopathies: emerging evidence on the multiple mechanisms of sudden deathJerry L Bauman
University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Section of Cardiology 60612, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 7:195-202. 2002b>Sudden death due to cocaine in the absence of myocardial infarction has been attributed to the precipitation of life-threatening arrhythmias not unlike that due to antiarrhythmic drugs...
- Sudden death among patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia treated with arsenic trioxideP Westervelt
Division of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Stem Cell Biology, and the Division of Molecular Oncology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Blood 98:266-71. 2001..Autopsies obtained on 2 of these failed to identify a cause of sudden death, despite evidence of pulmonary hemorrhage in one...
- Sudden death due to subarachnoid bleeding from ecchordosis physaliphoraT Fracasso
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Munster, Röntgenstrasse 23, 48149 Munster, Germany
Int J Legal Med 122:225-7. 2008..Further histological and immunohistochemical investigations allowed the diagnosis of EP...
- Expression of protein kinase C beta in the heart causes hypertrophy in adult mice and sudden death in neonatesJ C Bowman
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY 10461, USA
J Clin Invest 100:2189-95. 1997..ventricular hypertrophy associated with impaired diastolic relaxation, whereas expression in newborns caused sudden death associated with marked abnormalities in the regulation of intracellular calcium...
- Sudden death in Prader-Willi syndrome: brief review of five additional cases. Concerning the article by U. Eiholzer et al.: Deaths in children with Prader-Willi syndrome. A contribution to the debate about the safety of growth hormone treatment in childreBert Bakker
Horm Res 67:203-4. 2007
- Prolonged QTc interval and risks of total and cardiovascular mortality and sudden death in the general population: a review and qualitative overview of the prospective cohort studiesAlicia Montanez
Division of Cardiovascular Research, Mount Sinai Medical Center and Miami Heart Institute, Miami Beach, FL, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:943-8. 2004..interval may increase total and cardiovascular mortality due to life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias and sudden death. Nonetheless, whether modest prolongation of the QTc interval in the general population has clinical importance ..
- Sudden death due to cerebrotendinous xanthomatosis confirmed by mutation analysisJ P Sperhake
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Universitat Hamburg, Germany
Int J Legal Med 113:110-3. 2000A case of sudden death of a 52-year-old mentally retarded Caucasian male is described where the rectal temperature was 43.4 degrees C 3 h postmortem...
- Accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging in determining cause of sudden death in adults: comparison with conventional autopsyI S D Roberts
Department of Cellular Pathology, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals, UK
Histopathology 42:424-30. 2003To determine the accuracy and define the limitations of post mortem magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in determining the cause of sudden death in adults.
- Sudden death and use of stimulant medications in youthsMadelyn S Gould
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Dr, New York, NY 10032
Am J Psychiatry 166:992-1001. 2009..The authors sought to determine whether a significant association exists between the use of stimulants and the rare event of sudden unexplained death in children and adolescents...
- The cardiac sodium channel mutation delQKP 1507-1509 is associated with the expanding phenotypic spectrum of LQT3, conduction disorder, dilated cardiomyopathy, and high incidence of youth sudden deathRuiming Shi
1Department of Paediatrics, First Affiliated Hospital, Cardiovascular Ion Channel Disease Laboratory, Medical College of Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, Peoples Republic of China
Europace 10:1329-35. 2008..We report diverse phenotypic consequences of the delQKP-1507-1509 cardiac sodium channel mutation in three generations of a Chinese family...
- Serotonin transporter gene deficiency is associated with sudden death of newborn mice through activation of TGF-beta1 signallingLuigi Michele Pavone
Department of Biological Structures, Functions and Technologies, University of Naples Federico II, Via F Delpino 1, 80137 Naples, Italy
J Mol Cell Cardiol 47:691-7. 2009..These data suggest a cardiac phenotype for the sudden death of SERT-KO mice. Histological analysis of heart sections showed that SERT-KO mice develop cardiac fibrosis...
- Acute obstructive hydrocephalus and sudden death in childrenS Shemie
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Emerg Med 29:524-8. 1997b>Sudden death from obstructive hydrocephalus related to intracranial neoplasms has rarely been reported in the pediatric literature...
- Sickle cell lung disease and sudden death: a retrospective/prospective study of 21 autopsy cases and literature reviewJason K Graham
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 28:168-72. 2007b>Sudden death in the setting of sickle cell lung disease (SCLD), is periodically seen in the practice of medical examiners...
- Characteristics of sudden death in hemodialysis patientsA J Bleyer
Section on Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Kidney Int 69:2268-73. 2006..We hypothesized that sudden death occurrences in HD patients are related to the timing of HD, and that they occur more frequently in the 12 h ..
- Acute metabolic decompensation and sudden death in Barth syndrome: report of a family and a literature reviewTing Yu Yen
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur J Pediatr 167:941-4. 2008..In conclusion, mutations in taffazin impair mitochondrial respiratory chain complexes, which may results in the acute metabolic decompensation and sudden death; cardiac transplantation is the only possibility at the present time.
- Anti-HERG activity and the risk of drug-induced arrhythmias and sudden deathM L De Bruin
Department of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences UIPS, PO Box 80082, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Heart J 26:590-7. 2005..resulting from inhibition of HERG potassium channels may lead to serious ventricular arrhythmias and sudden death. We studied the quantitative anti-HERG activity of pro-arrhythmic drugs as a risk factor for this outcome in ..
- First report of sudden death due to myocarditis caused by adenovirus serotype 3Ann Treacy
Department of Histopathology, Children s University Hospital, Temple Street, Dublin 1, Ireland
J Clin Microbiol 48:642-5. 2010Myocarditis is a rare cause of sudden death in childhood...
- Heart block, ventricular tachycardia, and sudden death in ACE2 transgenic mice with downregulated connexinsMary Donoghue
Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Cambridge, MA, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 35:1043-53. 2003..These animals had a high incidence of sudden death that correlated with transgene expression levels...
- Sudden death from fulminant acute cerebellitisE I Levy
Department of Neurosurgery, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Pediatr Neurosurg 35:24-8. 2001..This disease has been reported to have a variable course. We report a case of sudden death from acute fulminant cerebellitis in a 13-year-old ballet dancer...
- Psychotropic drugs, cardiac arrhythmia, and sudden deathHarry J Witchel
Department of Physiology and Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:58-77. 2003..system are associated with cardiac side effects, some of which are linked with reports of arrhythmia and sudden death. Some psychotropic drugs, particularly tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and antipsychotic agents, are ..
- Sudden death in Prader-Willi syndrome during growth hormone therapyMichele Sacco
Division of Paediatrics, IRCCS Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Horm Res 63:29-32. 2005..This case raises the question about the association between sudden death in children with PWS (with or without respiratory problems) and GH therapy, as already suspected in the recent ..
- Profile of sudden death in an adult population (1999-2008)M R Downes
Department of Histopathology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9
Ir Med J 103:183-4. 2010b>Sudden death is the sudden and unexpected death of an individual within 24 hours of symptom onset. The vast majority of these cases are found, at autopsy, to be due to underlying ischaemic cardiac disease...
- Sudden death of an infant with Prader-Willi syndrome--not a unique case?Yves Nordmann
Foundation Growth Puberty Adolescence, Zurich, Switzerland
Biol Neonate 82:139-41. 2002..We report an infant with PWS and respiratory problems, who suffered sudden death. To our knowledge, this is the first such case...
- Lack of mitochondrial trifunctional protein in mice causes neonatal hypoglycemia and sudden deathJ A Ibdah
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
J Clin Invest 107:1403-9. 2001..Mtpa(-/-) mice suffer neonatal hypoglycemia and sudden death 6-36 hours after birth...
- Sudden death, febrile seizures, and hippocampal and temporal lobe maldevelopment in toddlers: a new entityHannah C Kinney
Department of Pathology Neuropathology, Children s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Enders Building, Room 1112, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA, 02115, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 12:455-63. 2009..In a series of 64 toddlers with sudden death, we tested the hypothesis that an SUDC subset is characterized by hippocampal and temporal lobe maldevelopment ..
- Postmortem computed tomography for detecting causes of sudden death in infants and children: retrospective review of casesYuji Oyake
Department of Pediatrics, Oyake Children s Clinic, 3 7 19 Higashiishikawa, Hitachinaka 312 0052, Japan
Radiat Med 24:493-502. 2006The aim of this study was to investigate the usefulness of postmortem computed tomography (PMCT) in detecting causes of sudden death in infants and children.
- Beta2-adrenergic receptor antagonists protect against ventricular fibrillation: in vivo and in vitro evidence for enhanced sensitivity to beta2-adrenergic stimulation in animals susceptible to sudden deathG E Billman
Department of Physiology, Ohio State University, Columbus 43210 1218, USA
Circulation 96:1914-22. 1997..Because elevated Ca2+ has been implicated in the induction of ventricular fibrillation (VF), it is possible that the activation of these receptors may also provoke malignant arrhythmias...
- Causes of sudden death related to sexual activity: results of a medicolegal postmortem study from 2001 to 2005Sanghan Lee
Department of Forensic Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Jung Gu, Daegu, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 21:995-9. 2006Sexual activity (SA), combined with organic heart disease, may cause sudden death (SD). However, the causes of SD related to SA are not known well. The aim of this study was to assess the causes of SD related to SA...
- Occidental beriberi and sudden deathAlex P Betrosian
Intensive Care Unit, Hippokration General Hospital, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Am J Med Sci 327:250-2. 2004..cases (acute cardiovascular beriberi), early treatment with parenteral vitamin B1 is required to prevent the development of low-output state and sudden death. We report a case of occidental beriberi with fatal outcome despite therapy.
- Deficiency of the alpha and beta subunits of pyruvate dehydrogenase in a patient with lactic acidosis and unexpected sudden deathW Sperl
Department of Paediatrics, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 149:487-92. 1990..The features of this patient are compared with those of other patients reported in the literature with immunochemically confirmed combined E1 alpha and beta deficiency...
- Predicting sudden death in patients with mild to moderate chronic heart failureM T Kearney
Department of Cardiology, King s College, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9PJ, UK
Heart 90:1137-43. 2004..To explore the relation between non-invasive measures of cardiac function and sudden cardiac death, as well as the development and utility of an index integrating these variables to identify patients at increased risk of this mode of death...
- The 'dead in bed syndrome'- a cause of sudden death in Type 1 diabetes mellitusR D Start
Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Chesterfield, UK
Histopathology 51:843-5. 2007
- [Sudden death after 125I brachytherapy in prostate cancer patient: a case report]Masaki Kimura
Departments of Urology, Kitasato University School of Medicine
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 96:560-3. 2005..Treatment of prostate cancer with brachytherapy has increased in Japan, and we should establish management manual for sudden death case after 125I brachytherapy.
- The insula and cerebrogenic sudden deathR T Cheung
Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Arch Neurol 57:1685-8. 2000b>Sudden death is an "electrical accident" caused by fatal cardiac arrhythmias...
- 4-Hydroxy-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone-releasing DNA adducts in lung, lower esophagus and cardia of sudden death victimsDaniela Schlöbe
Walther Straub Institute, Department of Toxicology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Nussbaumstrasse 26, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Toxicology 245:154-61. 2008..spectrometry (GC-NICI-MS) to samples of peripheral lung, lower esophagus and cardia from tumor-free sudden death victims (primarily road traffic accidents, suicide and sudden cardiac arrest)...
- Maximum potential benefit of implantable defibrillators in preventing sudden death after hospital admission because of heart failureSoko Setoguchi
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02130, USA
CMAJ 180:611-6. 2009..However, criteria to identify those who would benefit most from this therapy are lacking. We assessed the maximum potential benefit of preventing sudden death in patients with repeated hospital admissions because of heart failure.
- Sudden death in an adult taking methadone: lessons for general practiceTom Fahey
Tayside Centre for General Practice, University of Dundee, Kirsty Semple Way, Dundee DD2 4AD
Br J Gen Pract 53:471-2. 2003
- Sagittal abdominal diameter and risk of sudden death in asymptomatic middle-aged men: the Paris Prospective Study IJ P Empana
INSERM Avenir U258, Epidemiology of Sudden Death in the Population, Hopital Paul Brousse, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94807 Villejuif, France
Circulation 110:2781-5. 2004Abdominal (visceral) and overall obesity are both related to coronary heart disease mortality risk; however, the relative contribution of these 2 components of fat deposit in the etiology of sudden death is unknown.
- Depletion of medullary serotonergic neurons in patients with multiple system atrophy who succumbed to sudden deathMari Tada
Department of Pathology, Brain Research Institute, University of Niigata, Niigata, Japan
Brain 132:1810-9. 2009..The leading cause of death in MSA is sudden death. We have shown that the early development of autonomic failure is an independent risk factor for sudden death...
- Sudden death due to giant cell coronary arteritisB Karger
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Munster, Röntgenstrasse 23, 48149 Munster, Germany
Int J Legal Med 120:377-9. 2006..The findings were characteristic for giant cell arteritis, the equivalent of temporal Horton arteritis, but isolated involvement of the coronary arteries is exceptional...
- Sickle cell trait and sudden death--bringing it homeBruce L Mitchell
J Natl Med Assoc 99:300-5. 2007Sickle cell trait continues to be the leading cause of sudden death for young African Americans in military basic training and civilian organized sports...
- Why do individuals with anorexia die? A case of sudden deathTalia Derman
Department of Psychiatry, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J Eat Disord 39:260-2. 2006..The mechanism of death in anorexia nervosa (AN) is unclear...
- Sudden death with circumferential subepicardial fibrofatty replacement: left-sided arrhythmogenic ventricular cardiomyopathyShannon M Mackey-Bojack
Jesse E Edwards Registry of Cardiovascular Disease, John Nasseff Heart Hospital, Saint Paul, MN 55102, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 30:209-14. 2009..Four of the 5 cases had siblings with either sudden death or cardiac symptoms...
- An autopsy case of sudden death due to acute gastric dilatation without ruptureSatoshi Watanabe
Department of Legal Medicine and of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Asahikawa Medical College, Midorigaoka Higashi 2 1 1 1, Asahikawa 078 8510, Japan
Forensic Sci Int 180:e6-e10. 2008..We conclude that the cause of death was acute circulatory failure from hypovolemic shock that occurred following compression of the inferior vena cava and superior mesenteric vein, and by loss of circulatory volume to the third space...
- Frequency of nocturnal sudden death in patients with multiple system atrophyT Shimohata
Dept of Neurology, Brain Research Institute, Niigata University, 1 757 Asahi machi dori Niigata, Niigata 951 8585, Japan
J Neurol 255:1483-5. 2008b>Sudden death has been reported in patients with multiple system atrophy (MSA), although the frequency of this event has not been well delineated. We investigated the frequency and potential causes of sudden death in patients with MSA...
- COX-2 gene promoter polymorphism and coronary artery disease in middle-aged men: the Helsinki sudden death studyKati H Huuskonen
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Medical School, University of Tampere, 33104 Tampere, Finland
Mediators Inflamm 2008:289453. 2008..The Helsinki sudden death study autopsy material (n = 300) comprised of Finnish men who died suddenly...
- Methamphetamine-related sudden death with a concentration which was of a 'toxic level'Hiromasa Inoue
Department of Forensic Pathology and Sciences, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Japan
Leg Med (Tokyo) 8:150-5. 2006..Additionally, the mechanism of methamphetamine-related death needs to be more fully studied to enable an appropriate diagnosis to be made easily...
- Three unusual neuropathologic-related causes of sudden deathDennis J Chute
Dutchess County Medical Examiner s Office, 387 Main Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601, USA
J Forensic Sci 53:734-8. 2008We discuss the autopsy findings of three medico-legal cases of sudden death associated with uncommon neuropathologic findings of which the general forensic pathologist may not be familiar...
- Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome leading to massive pulmonary embolism and sudden deathFuat Gundogdu
Department of Cardiology, Medicine Faculty of Atatürk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 36:467-9. 2008..A diagnosis of massive pulmonary embolism was considered. During preparation for emergency operation, the patient developed cardiovascular collapse, which did not respond to cardiopulmonary resuscitation...
- Megaesophagus and possible mechanisms of sudden deathSarah Schalinski
Institute of Legal Medicine and Forensic Sciences, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Turmstr 21 Haus L, 10559, Berlin, Germany
J Forensic Sci 54:216-9. 2009..Megaesophagus may, therefore, be a significant finding at autopsy that may either be a primary cause of unexpected death or else may exacerbate or compound the effects of pre-existing underlying disease...
- Meta-analysis of effect of statin treatment on risk of sudden deathGiacomo Levantesi
Consorzio Mario Negri Sud, Santa Maria Imbaro, Chieti, Italy
Am J Cardiol 100:1644-50. 2007..In subgroup analysis, the benefit of statins was independent from the main characteristics of the studies and changes in patient lipid levels during the study. In conclusion, our results suggest that statins decrease the risk of SCD...
- Cardiac findings in an individual with neurofibromatosis 1 and sudden deathS J Hamilton
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia and Children's and Women's Health Centre of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Med Genet 100:95-9. 2001..We report the sudden death of a young man with NF1...
- Hypertension, cardiac hypertrophy, and sudden death in mice lacking natriuretic peptide receptor AP M Oliver
Department of Pathology, University of North Carolina, 710 Brinkhous Bullitt Building, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7525, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:14730-5. 1997..Nevertheless, sudden death, with morphologic evidence indicative in some animals of congestive heart failure and in others of aortic ..
- Sudden death after radiofrequency ablation of the atrioventricular node in patients with atrial fibrillationCevher Ozcan
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 40:105-10. 2002We evaluated the incidence and predictors of sudden death after atrioventricular (AV) node ablation and pacemaker implantation.
- Is right coronary artery hypoplasia and sudden death an underdiagnosed association?Regula Wick
Forensic Science SA, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 28:128-30. 2007....
- Hypothesis about the physiopathology of acute deterioration and sudden death caused by colloid cysts of the third ventricleAbderrahmane Hamlat
Department of Neurosurgery, CHRU Pontchaillou, Rue Henry Le Guilloux, 35000 Rennes, Cedex 2, France
Med Hypotheses 63:1014-7. 2004In this paper, the authors review the mechanisms of acute deterioration and sudden death caused by colloid cysts (CCs)...
- Sudden death associated with intravenous injection of toad extractChris Kostakis
Forensic Science SA, Adelaide, Australia
Forensic Sci Int 188:e1-5. 2009..It also shows the difficulties that may be associated with attempting to identify low levels of organic toxins in postmortem specimens necessitating a targeted screening approach guided by information obtained at the death scene...
- Atrial fibrillation during acute myocardial infarction: association with all-cause mortality and sudden death after 7-year of follow-upG Berton
Department of Cardiology, Conegliano General Hospital, Conegliano, Italy
Int J Clin Pract 63:712-21. 2009..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the relationship between presence of AF/FL and mortality in patients with AMI and to report on predictors of AF/FL...
- Changes in adiponectin and the risk of sudden death, stroke, myocardial infarction, and mortality in hemodialysis patientsChristiane Drechsler
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University Hospital Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, Würzburg D 97080, Germany
Kidney Int 76:567-75. 2009..of cardiovascular events observed with high adiponectin levels at baseline was associated with high risks of sudden death and stroke but not of myocardial infarction...
- Sudden death caused by dissecting thoracic aortic aneurysm in a patient with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney diseaseChien Chang Lee
Department of Emergency Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital and College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Resuscitation 63:93-6. 2004..In addition, the histological finding indicates the aetiological role of a collagen defect in addition to chronic hypertension in the pathogenesis of aortic dissection in ADPKD patients...
- Adult sudden death caused by aspiration of chewing gumS N Njau
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
Forensic Sci Int 139:103-6. 2004..Blood and urine samples were analyzed, for alcohol and drug use by fluorescence polarization immunoassay (FPIA) on an Abbott AXSYM system. No alcohol or other drugs were detected in blood or urine...
- Sudden death due to a colloid cyst of the third ventricle: report of three cases with a special sign at autopsySerafettin Demirci
Selcuk University, Meram Medical School, Department of Forensic Medicine, Akyokus Mevkii, 42080 Meram, Konya, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 189:e33-6. 2009..Three cases of sudden death resulting from colloid cysts of the third ventricle are presented...
- Sudden death in periparturient sheep associated with Clostridium sordelliiSandy Clark
Vet Rec 153:340. 2003
- Cysticercosis of the fourth ventricle causing sudden death: a case report and review of the literatureTibor Hortobagyi
Department of Clinical Neuropathology, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS, UK
Pathol Oncol Res 15:143-6. 2009..well as forensic medical examiners and paediatricians to be aware of neurocysticercosis as a possible cause of sudden death in the presence of normal clinical findings and negative autopsy, especially in patients from Asian, African or ..
- Side of brain infarction and long-term risk of sudden death in patients with symptomatic carotid diseaseAle Algra
Department of Neurology and Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Stroke 34:2871-5. 2003Current publications suggest increased risk of sudden death in experimental animals with acute right insular lesions and in patients with recent right-sided brain infarction, particularly if the insula is involved.
- Sudden death of a patient with pulmonary Langerhans cell histiocytosisHassan Nakhla
Department of Pathology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:798-9. 2005We report a case of sudden death due to bilateral pneumothorax in a previously healthy 16-year-old adolescent white girl. She presented with sudden onset of shortness of breath followed by loss of consciousness...
- Use of morphine and 6-monoacetylmorphine in blood for the evaluation of possible risk factors for sudden death in 192 heroin usersAnna Fugelstad
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Addiction 98:463-70. 2003To detect risk factors for sudden death from heroin injection.
- Tissue-specific pyruvate dehydrogenase complex deficiency causes cardiac hypertrophy and sudden death of weaned male miceSukhdeep Sidhu
Department of Biochemistry, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H946-H952. 2008..This mouse model demonstrates the importance of glucose oxidation in cardiac energetics and function under basal conditions...
- Unusual sudden death: two case reports of hemorrhage by rupture of varicose veinsStephanie Racette
Laboratoire de Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 26:294-6. 2005..External hemorrhage is an unusual complication of this common venous pathology. Reported here are 2 cases of severe external hemorrhage resulting from the perforation of a varicose vein...
- Agitated delirium and sudden deathGary M Vilke
Prehosp Emerg Care 6:259; author reply 259-60. 2002
- Congenital central hypoventilation syndrome: PHOX2B genotype determines risk for sudden deathJerome O Gronli
Department of Pediatrics, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 43:77-86. 2008..We hypothesized that children with CCHS would have a relationship between PHOX2B genotype and two clinically applicable cardiovascular measures of ANSD: duration of longest r-r interval and longest corrected QT interval (QTc)...
- Sudden death due to primary intracranial neoplasms. A forensic autopsy studyTheodore Vougiouklakis
Department of Forensic Pathology, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Anticancer Res 26:2463-6. 2006..A search for cases of sudden death due to intracranial tumors from a total of 1985 autopsies from the archives of the Department of Forensic ..
- Survey of sudden death from aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage in cadavers referred to Legal Medicine Organization of Tehran, 2001-2005Ardeshir Sheikhazadi
Department of Forensic Medicine, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 30:358-61. 2009..To explain the clinical profile of sudden death from aneurysmal SAH, we examined the epidemiology and clinicopathologic characteristics of patients with ..
- Unexpected autoptic finding in a sudden death: gossypibomaJessica Falleti
Department of Biomorphological and Functional Science, University Federico II of Naples, Via S Pansini, 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
Forensic Sci Int 199:e23-6. 2010..and subsequently a trans-luminal migration of the gossypiboma which went through the trachea causing a sudden death of the patient...
- Hepatic hemorrhage, hemocoelom, and sudden death due to Haemoproteus infection in passerine birds: eleven casesTaryn A Donovan
Zoological Society of San Diego, Wildlife Disease Laboratories, San Diego, CA 92101 1635, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 20:304-13. 2008..These findings suggest the recognition of a genotype of Haemoproteus that exhibits high levels of host infidelity and causes severe disease in captive birds exotic to North America...
- Sudden death in children due to intracranial mass lesionEssam A Elgamal
Neurosurgery Division 37, College of Medicine and King Khalid University Hospital, PO Box 7805, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Childs Nerv Syst 22:305-9. 2006..We sought to review the presenting symptoms and signs of intracranial mass lesions that led to sudden death to guide clinicians in early identification of these potentially treatable conditions.
- Risk of sudden death in the Williams-Beuren syndromeArmin Wessel
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Medical School Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Am J Med Genet A 127:234-7. 2004..The occurrence of sudden death in the WBS is known from several case reports, but information about the risk of sudden death as derived from ..
- Unexplained sudden death, including sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), in the first and second years of life: case definition and guidelines for collection, analysis, and presentation of immunization safety dataGerhard Jorch
University of Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Vaccine 25:5707-16. 2007
- Sudden death due to single coronary arteryN Turkmen
Forensic Medicine Department, Uludag University Medical Faculty, Gorukle, Bursa, Turkey
Singapore Med J 48:573-5. 2007Coronary artery anomalies that entail a risk of sudden death are frequently associated with complex cardiac malformations but may occasionally be solitary. A 31-year-old man became ill in the night and lost consciousness...
- Sudden death associated with food and exerciseLisa M Flannagan
Office of the Medical Examiner, Palm Beach County, West Palm Beach, FL 33406, USA
J Forensic Sci 49:543-5. 2004..An elevated serum tryptase level may be indicative of an allergic reaction, and allergen-specific IgE levels may be used to confirm the particular antigen...
- Serum concentrations of cardiac troponin T in sudden deathChristian Lycke Ellingsen
Department of Pathology, Rogaland Central Hospital, Stavanger, Norway
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 25:213-5. 2004Ischemic heart disease is the most common cause of sudden death of natural causes in most western countries...
- Neurocysticercosis presenting as sudden deathJ A Llompart Pou
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Universitario Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:785-6; discussion 786. 2005..Due to the increasing travel movements of people neurocysticercosis must be considered as a cause of unexplained sudden death.
- Sudden death in competitive athletesFabio Pigozzi
Laboratory of Sports Medicine, Health Sciences Department, University Institute of Movement Sciences, Piazza Lauro de Bosis 6, 00194 Rome, Italy
Clin Sports Med 27:153-81, ix. 2008b>Sudden death in athletes is an extremely rare event yet no less tragic for its infrequency. Up to 90% of these deaths are due to underlying cardiovascular diseases and therefore categorized as sudden cardiac death (SCD)...
- Sudden death from saccular laryngeal cystTina K Kastowsky
Department of Forensic Medicine, Central Sydney Laboratory Service and University of New South Wales, 42 50 Parramatta Road, Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia
J Forensic Sci 51:1144-6. 2006Laryngeal cysts are benign, uncommon lesions of the larynx that have been reported on rare occasions to cause sudden death in infants and adults by acute airways obstruction...
- Sudden death due to dissecting pulmonary artery aneurysm: a case report and review of the literatureJason K Graham
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, New York, New York 10016, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 28:342-4. 2007..artery aneurysm and pulmonary artery dissection are rare antemortem diagnoses, most often associated with sudden death. These pathologic entities are strongly associated with chronic pulmonary hypertension due to structural ..
- The probability of sudden death from rupture of intracranial aneurysms: a meta-analysisJohnson Huang
South Western Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Liverpool, New South Wales 2170, Australia
Neurosurgery 51:1101-5; discussion 1105-7. 2002..To estimate the proportion of patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) who die before receiving medical attention...
- Predicting sudden death in the population: the Paris Prospective Study IX Jouven
Service de cardiologie, Hopital Boucicaut, Paris, France
Circulation 99:1978-83. 1999b>Sudden death was found to share the same set of usual risk factors as coronary events and therefore could not be specifically predicted in the population...
- Antipsychotic drugs: prolonged QTc interval, torsade de pointes, and sudden deathA H Glassman
Department of Clinical Psychopharmacology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York 10032, USA
Am J Psychiatry 158:1774-82. 2001The authors review the mechanisms and establish the risk of torsade de pointes and sudden death with antipsychotic drugs.
- The hepatic lipase gene C-480T polymorphism in the development of early coronary atherosclerosis: the Helsinki Sudden Death StudyY M Fan
Laboratory of Atherosclerosis Genetics, Centre for Laboratory Medicine, Tampere University Hospital and Medical School, University of Tampere, Finland
Eur J Clin Invest 37:472-7. 2007..We studied the association of HL C-480T polymorphism with the extent of atherosclerosis at vessel-wall level in an autopsy series of middle-aged men...
- The mystery of sudden death: mechanisms for risksClaire M Lathers
Center for Veterinary Medicine, U S Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD 20855, USA
Epilepsy Behav 12:3-24. 2008..Finally, we speculate about potential preventive measures to minimize the risk of both sudden unexpected death in epilepsy and sudden cardiac death...
- Clinical characteristics of unexpected death among young enlisted military personnel: results of a three-decade retrospective surveillanceHoward Amital
Israeli Defense Forces Medical Corps, Jerusalem
Chest 126:528-33. 2004....
- Extraintestinal Escherichia coli isolations from SIDS cases and other cases of sudden death in Victoria, AustraliaJ L Pearce
Department of Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Science, Technology and Engineering, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 25:137-44. 1999..The majority were found to belong to serogroups commonly associated with bacteraemia. These results may indicate that extraintestinal E. coli plays a role in SIDS...
- Community Participation Research of Breastfeeding Disparities in African AmericanTamar Ringel Kulka; Fiscal Year: 2009..episodes, type I and type II diabetes, episodes of infant diarrhea, and incidents of childhood leukemia and sudden death syndrome...
- Model of Timothy Syndrome to Screen Drugs with Induced Pluripotent Stem CellsMasayuki Yazawa; Fiscal Year: 2013..electrical manifestation of repolarization in ventricular myocytes, is a major cause of cardiac arrhythmia and sudden death. Long QT syndrome (LQTS) can have a genetic basis or be induced by drug exposure or physiological stress...
- Model of Timothy Syndrome to Screen Drugs with Induced Pluripotent Stem CellsMasayuki Yazawa; Fiscal Year: 2013..electrical manifestation of repolarization in ventricular myocytes, is a major cause of cardiac arrhythmia and sudden death. Long QT syndrome (LQTS) can have a genetic basis or be induced by drug exposure or physiological stress...
- Purkinje Origin of Ischemic Ventricular Tachycardia and FibrillationJames B Martins; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therapies acting on such pathways used together may prevent sudden death. Mechanisms studied herein could be pursued immediately in clinical trials since readily available drugs, ..
- Conditional HSF1 Expression for Ischemic CardioprotectionIvor J Benjamin; Fiscal Year: 2012..left ventricular dysfunction and favorably improve long-term outcomes, such as heart failure and cardiac sudden death. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: 7...
- Evaluation of obstructive sleep apnea with long range 3D endoscopic FDOCTJun Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..increased risk of motor vehicle accidents and the development of cardiovascular diseases with risk for sudden death. The current gold standard diagnostic modality, overnight polysomnography is inconvenient, unable to provide ..
- The Impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea on Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseKATHLEEN ELIZABETH COREY; Fiscal Year: 2013..to suffer from OSA which worsens metabolic disease and increases the risk of cardiovascular disease and sudden death. The study of these conditions and their interactions will lead to new treatment options and improved public ..
- Regulation of Cardiac Kv Channel ExpressionEdwin S Levitan; Fiscal Year: 2013..outward current (Ito) channels, which alters heart function and may contribute to arrhythmias that cause sudden death. Experiments in the current funding period showed that Kv4...
- BRAINSTEM MATURATION IN THE SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROMEHANNAH CHASE KINNEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., asphyxia, during a sleep period and leads to sudden death in the critical first year of life when homeostatic systems are not fully mature...
- Arrhythmia Mechanisms in Sarcomeric CardiomyopathiesBjorn C Knollmann; Fiscal Year: 2012..Cardiac arrhythmias and sudden death are a major cause for the high mortality of patients with sarcomeric mutations...
- Mechanisms of endothelial barrier phenotypes in sickle cell diseaseSOLOMON FIIFI OFORI-ACQUAH; Fiscal Year: 2013..This caused alveolar flooding and sudden death in SCD mice, while control mice with sickle trait survived...
- Mitochondrial Protection Within Chronically Ischemic MyocardiumEdward O McFalls; Fiscal Year: 2010..Revascularization therapies and anti-tachycardia devices are available to prevent sudden death, but among the majority of patients who have received these treatments, the progressive process of cell death ..
- Determinants of Disease Expression in Arrhythmogenic CardiomyopathyJeffrey E Saffitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..the underlying determinants of arrhythmogenesis in ARVC may, therefore, provide new insights into mechanisms of sudden death in more common forms of heart disease. ARVC is a familial disease...
- Remodeling of the guinea pig intrinsic cardiac plexus with chronic heart diseaseELIZABETH MARIE SOUTHERLAND; Fiscal Year: 2013..coupled with increased and heterogeneous sympathetic outflow, increases the risk of cardiac arrhythmias and sudden death. While the progression of cardiac disease affects multiple aspects of cardiac control, it is those changes in ..
- Mechanisms of Ventricular Tachycardia in Lipotoxic CardiomyopathyJOHN PEARCE MORROW; Fiscal Year: 2013..cardiomyopathy with impaired systolic function and have abnormal accumulation of intracellular lipids, but sudden death often occurs before HF develops...
- Biomarkers of Sudden Death and Progressive Heart FailureGORDON FRANK TOMASELLI; Fiscal Year: 2010..of this proposal are two-fold: to enhance understanding of the biological mechanisms that predispose to sudden death and progressive heart failure and to develop a practical gene expression biomarker panel to identify patients ..
- Neural Actions of TolueneJohn J Woodward; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research to be carried out in this proposal will provide a detailed analysis of the effects of abused inhalants on neurons within brain areas involved in addiction. ..
- Stem cells and the fibroblast/adipocyte lineage in arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathyKaren L Vikstrom; Fiscal Year: 2010..Patients suffer very severe arrhythmias and are at great risk of sudden death at a young age...
- Angiotensin converting enzyme, angiotensin II, and arrhythmiaSamuel C Dudley; Fiscal Year: 2010..this, we developed a cardiac-restricted ACE overexpression mouse (ACE 8/8) that showed an increased risk of sudden death in the absence of heart failure or structural heart disease...
- Atomic Force Microscopic Studies of Dissecting AneurysmPaul J Boor; Fiscal Year: 2013..those in the teen years to early adulthood, resulting in occlusion of distal vessels, aortic rupture, and sudden death. DAA is associated with several well-described clinical syndromes, but the vast majority of DAAs occur ..
- Molecular mechanics of mutant cardiac myosinJeffrey R Moore; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The cardiac hypertrophy, myofibrillar disarray and sudden death caused by familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (FHC) results from autosomal dominant mutations in sarcomeric proteins...
- IGF::OT::IGFVivian Leung; Fiscal Year: 2013..The most common diagnoses that increase risk for sudden death in the young (SDY) include Dravet Syndrome, other genetic forms of epilepsy, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, ..
- Low energy ventricular defibrillatorQun Sha; Fiscal Year: 2012..VF is the most frequent mechanism of sudden death. Implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICDs) have become the standard of care for patients at risk for sudden ..
- CaMKII in Sinus Node Physiology and DiseaseMark E Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2013..SND causes symptomatic bradycardia and sudden death, particularly in patients and animal models with hypertension or heart failure, conditions marked by hyper-..
- Genetic and Functional Profiles of Serotonergic Neuron SubtypesRachael D Brust; Fiscal Year: 2013..with high CO2 levels accumulated in a pocket formed by bedding materials;) are considered risk factors for sudden death in these disorders...
- Using Genetics For Early Phenotyping &Prevention of Hypertrophic CardiomyopathyChristine E Seidman; Fiscal Year: 2013..hypertrophy (LVH), myocardial fibrosis, diastolic dysfunction, and an increased risk for arrhythmias, sudden death and heart failure...
- Gender Specific Complications of Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy: A New Mouse ModelJONAS BERNARD GALPER; Fiscal Year: 2010..DAN has been associated with an increased incidence of arrhythmia and sudden death in diabetics...
- Regulation and function of cGMP dependent protein kinase in cardiac hypertrophyEiki Takimoto; Fiscal Year: 2013..population develops cardiac hypertrophy which increases their risk of suffering from heart disease, and sudden death. We discovered that cardiac hypertrophy/ remodeling is ameliorated by enhancing intrinsic cGMP pathway with ..
- The effect of TLR4 inhibition on lung transplant ischemia-reperfusion injuryPERRY ARTHUR GENOVA; Fiscal Year: 2010..If lungs could be retrieved from non-heart-beating donors (NHBDs) - victims of sudden death - at intervals after circulatory arrest and transplanted safely, the shortage of lungs for transplant could be ..
- PHOSPHORYLATION AND ENDOTHELIAL NITRIC OXIDE PRODUCTIONWilliam C Sessa; Fiscal Year: 2013..and coronary atherosclerosis in a unique murine model leading to spontaneous myocardial infarction and sudden death. In vitro studies support the importance of Akt1 as a key survival pathway in all cell types relevant to ..
- Statins protect against adverse cardiac events during pneumoniaCarlos J Orihuela; Fiscal Year: 2012..by applicant): Individuals hospitalized for community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) are at increased risk for sudden death as a result of adverse cardiac events...
- Disease Mechanisms in ARVCJeffrey E Saffitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..it's highly variable genetic penetrance indicates the presence of powerful modifiers of the risk of sudden death. Future studies to define these modifiers could identify new targets for mechanism-based therapies to prevent ..
- Renin angiotensin system and connexin43Samuel C Dudley; Fiscal Year: 2013..induced arrhythmias, we developed a cardiac-restricted ACE overexpression mouse that shows an increased risk of sudden death in the absence of heart failure or structural heart disease...
- The Ventral Medulla and the Sudden Infant Death SyndromeHANNAH CHASE KINNEY; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the sudden death of an infant that remains unexplained after a complete review of the history, autopsy, and death scene investigation;it is the leading cause ..
- Titin Splicing Mechanisms and Physical ImplicationsMarion L Greaser; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition the rat mutation model we have developed should help to understand mechanisms of cardiac arrhythmia and sudden death.
- EVOLVING MECHANICS OF INTRALUMINAL THROMBUS: FROM FORMATION TO ORGANIZATIONJay D Humphrey; Fiscal Year: 2010..thrombus is the acute occlusion of a coronary artery following rupture of a vulnerable plaque, which can cause sudden death. In addition, however, ~75% of abdominal aortic aneurysms involve an intraluminal thrombus, which is thought to ..
- Chlorinated Lipids in Myocardial Ischemia/ReperfusionDavid A Ford; Fiscal Year: 2013Coronary heart disease is responsible for the sudden death of over 500,000 U.S. citizens per year...
- The Role of the Proteasome in Troponin related CardiomyopathiesALDRIN VERNO GOMES; Fiscal Year: 2013..Patients carrying these FHC related cTnT mutations show a high incidence of sudden death without the classical increase in the left ventricular heart wall seen in FHC patients with mutations in other ..
- Role of Sterols and Insulin in Cardiac Autonomic ResponseJONAS BERNARD GALPER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, there is a marked increase in the incidence of sudden death in diabetics which may be associated, at least in part, with a decrease in parasympathetic responsiveness of ..
- Cardiac Channel Mutations in SIDSMICHAEL JOHN ACKERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, the fundamental causes of SIDS remain poorly understood. Underlying genetic susceptibility for sudden death, involving genetic determinants of the central nervous system and serotonergic signaling, immune dysfunction, ..
- Aldosterone, nitric oxide, myocardial fibrosis, and capillary loss in ESRDDavid M Charytan; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Sudden death accounts for the vast majority of CV deaths in individuals with ESRD, with a 5-folder higher frequency than ..
- Gap Junction Trafficking to and within the Plasma MembraneROBIN MARK SHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..The cellular basis of both heart failure and sudden death involve diminished electrical coupling between heart cells...
- The Comparative Effectiveness of Single versus Dual Chamber Cardioverter DefibrilPamela N Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Many patients with heart failure are at high risk for sudden death due to abnormal heart rhythms...
- Longtitudinal Study of DialysisRulan S Parekh; Fiscal Year: 2012..large prospective cohort study of incident dialysis participants investigating risk factors for arrhythmias and sudden death. Results from the study will provide valuable insight into the relationship of vascular calcification with ..
- The mitochondrial calcium uniporter in sinus node physiology and diseaseTYLER PAUL RASMUSSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..by dysregulation of the primary cardiac pacemaker, slowing of the HR and increased risk of arrhythmias and sudden death. At present the only treatment for SND is surgical implantation of a permanent pacemaker, which costs 2 billion ..
- Fundamental Biology of SCD and its Application to Identify Patients at RiskGORDON FRANK TOMASELLI; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will employ a surrogate of SCD in this study that will be referred to as arrhythmic sudden death (ASD) defined as adjudicated firings for ventricular tachycardia (VT) or ventricular fibrillation (VF) and ..
- Single Scan Rest/Stress Cardiac PET ImagingArkadiusz Sitek; Fiscal Year: 2012..Since the signal event of CAD is often sudden death or myocardial infarction, great energy has been focused on developing new noninvasive imaging technologies to ..
- PREDICTIVE GENES, MECHANISMS, AND CLINICAL BIOMARKERS OF SUDEPJeffrey Noebels; Fiscal Year: 2013..biomarkers obtained during epilepsy monitoring of individuals with Dravet Syndrome and others at high risk of sudden death (ictal hypoxemia, cardiac arrhythmia)...
- The role of Raf-MEK signaling in the pathogenesis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathyJASON BECKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..by abnormal thickening of the ventricular myocardium, is a common genetic cause of heart failure and sudden death. The prevalence of this condition is 1:500, and over the last twenty years there has been tremendous ..
- AUTONOMIC CARDIOVASCULAR REGULATIONDAVID HERLIE ROBERTSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..to many forms of cardiovascular disease: arrhythmias, hypertension, syncope, stroke, myocardial infarction, and sudden death. The goal of this Program Project is to achieve better understanding of how the brain exerts control over the ..
- Calsequestrin in Ventricular Arrhythmia and Sudden DeathBjorn C Knollmann; Fiscal Year: 2013..To test the hypothesis that Casq2 is reduced near RyR2 Ca release channels in cardiac muscle surviving after myocardial infarction ..
- More and Better Lungs: Ex-Vivo Perfusion of Lungs from Non-Heart-Beating DonorsThomas M Egan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Each year, more than 750,000 people in the U.S. are victims of sudden death;if lungs could be retrieved for transplant from some of these people - non-heart-beating donors (NHBDs) - the ..
- Structure-Function of the Nuclear Envelope Bridge and its Role in LaminopathiesThomas U Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2012..of certain muscles, joint deformities and life-threatening heart problems that can result in premature and sudden death. There is currently no definitive therapy for Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy or related diseases;therefore, ..
- The Role of the Transient Outward Current in Genetically Elusive Sudden DeathJohn R Giudicessi; Fiscal Year: 2013..in cardiac ion channel function represent the most common identifiable causes underlying autopsy negative sudden death, including 35% of Sudden Unexplained Death Syndrome (SUDS) and 10% of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) cases...
- An Animal Model of Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy: Study of Mechanism and TherapyJONAS BERNARD GALPER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Type I diabetics with evidence of DAN demonstrate a fivefold higher 5 year mortality and increased incidence of sudden death than those without DAN...
- Neuroplasticity Associated with Acute Toluene InhalationJACOB THOMAS BECKLEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..have profound adverse consequences, such as cognitive impairment, brain abnormalities, organ damage, and even sudden death, a result of inhalant-induced cardiac dysrhythmia...
- MOLECULAR BASIS FOR DRUG INDUCED CARDIOTOXICITY IN AIDSCRAIG CLARKSON; Fiscal Year: 2001..is associated with a high incidence of polymorphic ventricular arrhythmias, torsade de pointes, and even sudden death. Other preliminary data from the applicant's laboratory suggest that cocaine also can block HERG encoded K ..
- Cincinnati Center of Excellence in Hemoglobinopathies ResearchPunam Malik; Fiscal Year: 2013..SCD to generate TGFP1, a profibrotic thrombo-lnflammatory cytokine that mediates SCD cardio-renal disease and sudden death, by causing a profibrotic state and a unique restrictive cardiomyopathy (RCM) with secondary PAH...
- Molecular Mechanisms of RyR2-triggered ArrhythmiasHector H Valdivia; Fiscal Year: 2013..cellular processes that may lead to aberrant electrical activity (ventricular arrhythmias), the main cause of sudden death (SD)...
- VANDERBILT CENTER FOR EDUCATION/RESEARCH ON THERAPEUTICSWayne A Ray; Fiscal Year: 2010..drug effects--1) SSRIs and birth defects, 2) ADHD drugs and adverse cardiovascular events, 3) Medications and sudden death, 4) Warfarin and antimicrobial interactions;three are educational programs-5) Improving use of therapy to ..
- ION CHANNEL REGULATION AND MODULATION IN CARDIAC MUSCLEJeanne M Nerbonne; Fiscal Year: 2013..are evident in a variety of cardiovascular diseases and are associated with increased risk of arrhythmias and sudden death. The mechanisms involved in Ito,f regulation in the normal heart and Ito,f remodeling in cardiac disease, ..
- Applications of Magnetic Resonance for Management of Ventricular TachycardiaSaman Nazarian; Fiscal Year: 2013..validated by other groups, and was later shown to identify non-ischemic cardiomyopathy patients at high risk of sudden death. However, the benefits of such an approach remain unassessed in many other high-risk patient subsets...
- Autonomic consequences of brief seizuresMark Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2004..In spite of an apparent pattern of increasing autonomic dysfunction with increasing seizure intensity, sudden death during a seizure is not limited to cases of status epilepticus or even generalized tonic-clonic seizures...
- NF-kB Inhibition of Lung Ischemia Repurfusion InjuryPatrick Flood; Fiscal Year: 2009..If lungs could be retrieved from non-heart-beating donors (NHBDs) - victims of sudden death - at intervals after circulatory arrest and transplanted safely, the shortage of lungs for transplant could be ..
- Using a Telemedicine System to Promote Patient Care Among Underserved IndividualsAlfred Bove; Fiscal Year: 2009..Untreated hypertension is associated with an increased risk for myocardial infractions, sudden death, stroke, and renal failure...
- IDENTIFYING HIGH RISK PATIENTS WITH SYNCOPEWishwa Kapoor; Fiscal Year: 1991..this study is to validate two models which categorize patients with syncope into high and low risk for either sudden death or diagnostic arrhythmias based on data available from the initial history, physical examination, and EKG...
- Neural Circulatory Control in the Long QT SyndromeVirend Somers; Fiscal Year: 2006The long QT syndrome (LQTS) is associated with risk for polymorphic ventricular tachycardia, syncope, and sudden death. Molecular genetic approaches have shown that these syndromes are explained by mutations in cardiac ion channel genes, ..
- Spontaneous Arousals in "CHIME" Infants at Risk for SIDSROBERT DARNALL; Fiscal Year: 2006..challenges during sleep, helping to protect the infant from potentially dangerous situations, even sudden death. Failure of arousal mechanisms may contribute to the etiology of SIDS...
- CTRIP Ex-vivo perfusion and ventilation of lungs to assess transplant suitabilityThomas M Egan; Fiscal Year: 2010..If lungs could be retrieved for LTX from some of the 3 million annual U.S. victims of sudden death - non-heart-beating donors (NHBDs) - then the lung donor shortage could be eliminated...
- MECHANISMS OF CARDIOTOXICITY OF ANTIPSYCHOTIC DRUGSDavid Flockhart; Fiscal Year: 2001..to establish the mechanisms by which important antipsychotic drugs might bring about cardiac arrhythmias and sudden death. While a great deal of research over the past thirty years has resulted in the recent appearance of ..
- MODEL OF DYSRHYTHMIAS AFTER CONGENITAL HEART SURGERYArthur Garson; Fiscal Year: 1991This study will continue animal research designed to model the problem of sudden death after repair of congenital heart defects such as tetralogy of Fallot (TOF)...