Summary: A DIVERTICULUM at the upper end of the ESOPHAGUS through the cricopharyngeal muscle at the junction of the PHARYNX and the esophagus.
Publications167 found, 100 shown here
- The endoscopic stapler diverticulotomy for Zenker's diverticulumJohannes J Manni
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Maastricht, P O Box 5800, 6202 AZ, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 261:68-70. 2004....
- Current trends in management of Zenker diverticulumElizabeth Veenker
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Head and Neck Surgery Oncology, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 11:160-5. 2003..Careful review of the available literature regarding its pathogenesis indicates that Zenker diverticulum likely occurs as a result of increased intrabolus pressures during swallowing secondary to cricopharyngeal ..
- [Zenker's diverticulum treated by transoral diverticulostomy: technique and results]R A Lang
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik der Universität München, Germany
Zentralbl Chir 132:451-6. 2007..Experiences of this procedure in 31 patients are analysed and compared with different endoscopic and conventional surgical therapies of Zenker's diverticula, which are reported in the literature...
- Transoral diverticulostomy with a modified Endo-Gia stapler: results after 4 years of experienceR A Lang
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik der Ludwig Maximilians Universität, Klinikum Grosshadern, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377, Munchen, Germany
Surg Endosc 21:532-6. 2007..The key to a successful procedure is adequate exposure of the diverticulum by insertion of a pharynx spreader before the surgery...
- A retrospective review of pharyngeal pouch surgery in 56 patientsS Mirza
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 84:247-51. 2002..External excision of pharyngeal pouches may be more appropriate in the young, the medically fit, and when malignancy is a concern...
- Endoscopic carbon dioxide laser diverticulostomy versus endoscopic staple-assisted diverticulostomy to treat Zenker's diverticulumVeronique J O Verhaegen
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Head Neck 33:154-9. 2011..The 2 most frequently used endoscopic methods to treat Zenker's diverticulum are staple-assisted and CO(2) laser esophagodiverticulostomy...
- Endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulum by carbon dioxide laserG Peretti
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Brescia, Piazza Spedali Civili 1, Brescia, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 30:1-4. 2010..Based on the present series, endoscopic CO(2) laser cricopharyngeal myectomy for Zenker's diverticulum can be considered an effective and safe procedure, with reduced hospitalization time and complication rate...
- Evolution of surgical treatment for pharyngeal pouchA Aly
University of Adelaide Department of Surgery, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
Br J Surg 91:657-64. 2004..The development of endoscopic techniques, particularly endoscopic stapling, has led to a re-evaluation of the treatment of pharyngeal pouch. The pathophysiology and treatment of the condition is reviewed...
- Carbon dioxide laser endoscopic diverticulotomy versus open diverticulectomy for Zenker's diverticulumC W David Chang
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Laryngoscope 114:519-27. 2004..To compare open and CO2 laser-assisted endoscopic surgical management of Zenker's diverticulum...
- Zenker's diverticula: feasibility of a tailored approach based on diverticulum sizeChristian Rizzetto
Istituto Oncologico Veneto IOV IRCCS, Padua, Italy
J Gastrointest Surg 12:2057-64; discussion 2064-5. 2008..The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness of a minimally invasive (group A) versus a traditional open surgical approach (group B) in the treatment of ZD...
- Carbon dioxide laser endoscopic diverticulotomy for Zenker's diverticulum: results and complications in a consecutive series of 40 patientsVictor Helmstaedter
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 71:40-4. 2009..Numerous studies regarding CO2 laser endoscopic diverticulotomy for the treatment of Zenker's diverticulum exist. They show differences in complications, hospitalization time and postoperative treatment...
- Long-term results of endosurgical and open surgical approach for Zenker diverticulumLuigi Bonavina
University of Milano, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Section of General Surgery, IRCCS Policlinico, San Donato, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 13:2586-9. 2007To assess the effectiveness of minimally invasive versus traditional open surgical approach in the treatment of Zenker diverticulum.
- Endoscopic stapler-assisted diverticuloesophagostomy for Zenker's diverticulum: patient satisfaction and subjective relief of symptomsSandro J Stoeckli
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head, and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Surgery 131:158-62. 2002..We assessed the results of endoscopic stapler-assisted diverticuloesophagostomy for Zenker's diverticulum, with emphasis on patient satisfaction and subjective relief of symptoms...
- Endoscopic management of Zenker's diverticulum: factors predictive of success or failureAnn Marie B Visosky
Bobby R Alford Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 117:531-7. 2008..We review our experience with endoscopic management of Zenker's diverticulum. We sought to analyze and determine risk factors for success or failure of endoscopic diverticulum treatment...
- Flexible endoscopic clip-assisted Zenker's diverticulotomy: the first case series (with videos)Shou Jiang Tang
Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9151, USA
Laryngoscope 118:1199-205. 2008..We recently introduced flexible endoscopic clip-assisted diverticulotomy (ECD) in treating ZD by securing the septum prior to dissection...
- Current management in pharyngeal pouch surgery by UK otorhinolaryngologistsM A Siddiq
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Walsgrave Hospital, Coventry, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 86:247-52. 2004..Many surgical techniques have been described for the treatment of pharyngeal pouches but there is no single treatment of choice. The aim of this study was to determine current practice in pharyngeal pouch surgery by UK otolaryngologists...
- Correlation of radiologic findings and clinical outcome in pharyngeal pouch staplingAlexandros Tsikoudas
Departments of Otolaryngology, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, Scotland
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 115:721-6. 2006..We undertook to identify any correlation between radiologic findings and clinical outcome in pharyngeal pouch surgery...
- Flexible endoscopic and surgical management of Zenker's diverticulumIvana Dzeletovic
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:449-65; quiz 466. 2012..Some centers use flexible endoscopy as the initial treatment option. Due to a lack of prospective studies, the treatment choice should be tailored to the individual patient and local expertise...
- The endoscopic management of Zenker diverticulum: CO2 laser versus endoscopic staplingFrank R Miller
Department of Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1608-11. 2006The purpose of this project was to analyze the endoscopic management of Zenker diverticulum (ZD) using both the CO2 laser and endoscopic stapling techniques...
- Carcinoma arising in a pharyngeal pouch previously treated by endoscopic staplingAanand Acharya
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Laryngoscope 116:1043-5. 2006..A search of the English language literature suggests this is the first reported case of a carcinoma developing in a pharyngeal pouch previously treated by endoscopic stapling...
- Endoscopic stapling of pharyngeal pouchP Sen
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Whipps Cross University Hospital, London, UK
J Laryngol Otol 118:601-6. 2004..There were no randomized controlled trials comparing this approach to any other endoscopic or open surgical techniques for pharyngeal pouch...
- Endoscopic management of Zenker diverticulum: the staple-assisted approachWilliam J Richtsmeier
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Bassett Health Care, Cooperstown, New York 13326, USA
Am J Med 115:175S-178S. 2003..the newer endoscopic staple-assisted esophagodiverticulostomy, which provides an endoscopic approach to Zenker diverticulum-associated dysphasia...
- Pathogenesis and methods of treatment of Zenker's diverticulumJos J M van Overbeek
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Martini Hospital, Groningen, The Netherlands
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112:583-93. 2003..The current methods of treatment by an external surgical approach, as well as the (micro)endoscopic procedures, are described...
- Zenker's diverticulum: a new endoscopic treatment with a soft diverticuloscopeSylvie Evrard
Department of Gastroenterology, Hopital Erasme, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Gastrointest Endosc 58:116-20. 2003..A new endoscopic approach is described that uses a soft diverticuloscope to provide perfect exposure of the operative site and stabilizes the endoscope...
- Harmonic scalpel in the treatment of Zenker's diverticulumAnthony F Fama
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Laryngoscope 119:1265-9. 2009..To describe the transoral treatment of Zenker's diverticulum with a harmonic scalpel and review the initial outcomes of patients treated with this technique...
- Surgical experience of the national institution in the treatment of Zenker's diverticulaA Simic
Department of Esophagogastric Surgery, The First Surgical University Clinic, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia
Acta Chir Iugosl 56:25-33. 2009..To review the 8-year experience of the Department of Esophagogastric Surgery, First Surgical University Hospital in Belgrade in the surgical management of Zenker's diverticula (ZD)...
- Laser versus stapler: outcomes in endoscopic repair of Zenker diverticulumStewart I Adam
Section of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Laryngoscope 122:1961-6. 2012To analyze a single surgeon's experience with endoscopic CO(2) laser and stapler repair of Zenker diverticulum (ZD) by comparing dysphagia and regurgitation outcomes.
- Transoral stapling for Zenker diverticulum: effect of the traction suture-assisted technique on long-term outcomesLuigi Bonavina
Department of Surgery, University of Milano, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, Piazza Edmondo Malan 2, San Donato Milanese, Milano, Italy
Surg Endosc 26:2856-61. 2012Long-term outcomes and predictors of success after transoral stapling for Zenker diverticulum are still unclear.
- Evaluation of endoscopic harmonic diverticulostomyChad Whited
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Hospital, Durham, North Carolina 27707, USA
Laryngoscope 122:1297-300. 2012....
- Endoscopic stapling of Zenker's diverticulum: establishing national baselines for auditing clinical outcomes in the United KingdomSamuel C Leong
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Link 3Z ENT, Prescot Street, Liverpool, L7 8XP, UK
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 269:1877-84. 2012..No death has been reported since 2000 in the UK. The data presented in this review represent current clinical standards reported over the past 15 years by UK departments and serve as a useful benchmark for any future audits undertaken...
- Evaluation of the different transcervical approaches for Zenker diverticulumKonstantinos Mantsopoulos
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg Medical School, Erlangen, Germany
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 146:725-9. 2012The aim of this study was to evaluate the results of open surgical techniques in the treatment of Zenker diverticulum.
- Endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulum by harmonic scalpelFábio Yuji Hondo
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Unit, Department of Gastroenterology of Medical School of University of São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Gastrointest Endosc 74:666-71. 2011..The main limitation of endoscopic treatment is the occurrence of complications. Perforation and hemorrhage are reported in as many as 23% and 10% of patients, respectively...
- Endoscopic repair of Zenker's diverticulum by harmonic scalpelJames T May
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 32:553-6. 2011..We describe an endoscopic approach for treating ZD using the harmonic scalpel, which can be used in certain cases where diverticulum anatomy precludes ESED...
- Transoral treatment of Zenker diverticulum: flexible endoscopy versus endoscopic stapling. A retrospective comparison of outcomesA Repici
Gastroenterology Unit, IRCCS Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Italy
Dis Esophagus 24:235-9. 2011Transoral stapled diverticulo-esophagostomy (TSDE) has gained increased popularity in surgical treatment of Zenker diverticulum (ZD)...
- Factors predicting endoscopic exposure of Zenker's diverticulumJason D Bloom
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 119:736-41. 2010....
- Endoscopic treatment of Zenker diverticulum: results of a 7-year experienceAzzam S Al-Kadi
Department of Upper GI and Laparoscopic Surgery, Peter Lougheed Center, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Am Coll Surg 211:239-43. 2010b>Zenker diverticulum (ZD) is a rare disease usually seen in elderly patients who present with symptoms of worsening dysphagia and regurgitation...
- Endoscopic flexible treatment of Zenker's diverticulum: a modification of the needle-knife techniqueA Repici
Department of Gastroenterology, Digestive Endoscopy Unit, IRCCS Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Milano, Italy
Endoscopy 42:532-5. 2010..The hook-knife is a new device originally developed for endoscopic submucosal dissection procedures. This study aimed to investigate the safety and efficacy of endoscopic myotomy performed with the hook-knife...
- Morphometric and anthropometric analysis of Killian's triangleAndreas Anagiotos
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Laryngoscope 120:1082-8. 2010..To determine the prevalence and the morphometric characteristics of Killian's triangle and to examine their relationship with the anthropometric features of the person...
- Endostitch-assisted endoscopic Zenker's diverticulostomy: a tried approach for difficult casesB D Nicholas
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Dis Esophagus 23:296-9. 2010....
- Endoscopic carbon dioxide laser Zenker's diverticulotomy revisitedMartijn P Kos
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Free University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 118:512-8. 2009..We assessed the efficacy of endoscopic Zenker's diverticulotomy with the carbon dioxide (CO2) laser and Acuspot and compared it with the historical results of using a CO2 laser without Acuspot and electrocautery diverticulotomy...
- Endoscopically stapled diverticulostomy for Zenker's diverticulum: results of a multidisciplinary team approachOshri Wasserzug
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Weizman Street, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Surg Endosc 24:637-41. 2010..Among the endoscopic techniques, endoscopically stapled diverticulostomy (ESD) appears to have better efficacy and safety than the other endoscopic techniques...
- Endoscopic management of Zenker's diverticulum: stapler assisted versus Harmonic AceDawn B Sharp
Department of Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1808 7th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294, U S A
Laryngoscope 119:1906-12. 2009..The objective of this study is to compare the endoscopic stapling technique with a novel technique using the Harmonic Ace device (Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc., Cincinnati, OH)...
- Endoscopic staple diverticulostomy for Zenker's diverticulum: review of literature and experience in 159 consecutive casesChristopher Y Chang
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Laryngoscope 113:957-65. 2003..We present follow-up on our experience with ESD since 1995 and compare it with the results obtained by other endoscopic or external techniques for treatment of Zenker's diverticulum...
- Zapping Zenker's diverticulum: gastroscopic treatmentC J Mulder
Department of Hepatogastroenterology, Rijnstate Hospital, Arnhem, The Netherlands
Can J Gastroenterol 13:405-7. 1999..The mean number of treatment sessions was 1.8. This approach seems safe and effective. Treatment of every patient was possible and was carried out, even in patients in very poor condition, without general anesthesia...
- Management of pharyngoesophageal (Zenker's) diverticulum: which technique?Christian A Gutschow
Unit of Upper G I Surgery, Louvain Medical School, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Thorac Surg 74:1677-82; discussion 1682-3. 2002..The clinical relevance of cricomyotomy, although supported by experimental data, remains controversial...
- Endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulum using CO2 laserY Krespi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY 10019, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 127:309-14. 2002..The objective of the present study was to review the technique of endoscopic laser-assisted esophagodiverticulostomy (ELAED) for the treatment of Zenker's diverticulum...
- Zenker diverticulumEitan Prisman
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, 4th Floor 2775 Laurel Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 1M9, Canada Electronic address
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 46:1101-11. 2013This article introduces the pathogenesis and relevant anatomy of Zenker diverticulum. The clinical symptoms and relevant investigation are presented along with the various therapeutic interventions including open and endoscopic ..
- [Zenker's diverticulum: diverticulopexy versus diverticulectomy]J Leporrier
, , 14033 Caen, France
Ann Chir 126:42-5. 2001..Diverticulectomy is proposed in the case of a diverticulum larger than 6 cm and for young patients to prevent the risk of malignant transformation...
- Endoscopic stapling technique for the treatment of Zenker diverticulum vs standard open-neck technique: a direct comparison and charge analysisShane R Smith
Department of Otolaryngology, Mt Sinai Medical Center, One Gustave Levy Place, Box 1189, New York, NY 10029, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:141-4. 2002Presently, the 2 most widely used methods for the treatment of Zenker diverticulum are endoscopic stapling of the common party wall between the diverticulum sac and the esophagus and the standard open-neck technique involving ..
- Tailored approach to Zenker's diverticulaG Zaninotto
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Clinica Chirurgica 4, University of Padova School of Medicine, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Surg Endosc 17:129-33. 2003..Zenker's diverticula (ZD) can be treated by diverticulostomy or open surgery (upper esophageal sphincter myotomy and diverticulectomy or diverticulopexy). The aim of this study was to compare the outcome of the two alternative treatments...
- Microlaryngoscopic repair of iatrogenic pharyngeal pouch perforations: treatment of choice?Vinidh Paleri
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE7 7DN, UK
Head Neck 29:189-92. 2007..Iatrogenic perforation, created during stapling, is a rare but serious complication with significant morbidity and mortality. The conventional management in these instances is to convert it to an external procedure and excise the pouch...
- Familial Zenker's diverticulumTuomas Klockars
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Kymenlaakso Central Hospital, Kotka, Finland
Acta Otolaryngol 128:1034-6. 2008..The mode of inheritance in the rare possible familial cases seems to be autosomal dominant; recessive inheritance is non-existent or extremely rare...
- Biochemical markers of upper esophageal sphincter compliance in patients with Zenker's diverticulumM Venturi
Department of General Surgery and Surgical Oncology, University of Milan, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, I R C C S, Italy
J Surg Res 70:46-8. 1997..This finding supports the extension of the myotomy to the muscularis propria of the esophagus below the CPM. The alterated Ides to Des ratio suggests a primary disease of CPM as a cause of Zenker's diverticulum...
- Flexible endoscopic management of Zenker diverticulum: the Mayo Clinic experienceDavid J Case
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 85:719-22. 2010To describe the outcome of patients undergoing flexible endoscopic therapy for symptomatic Zenker diverticulum.
- A pediatric case of Zenker diverticulum: imaging findingsSüreyya Burcu Görkem
Department of Radiology, Erciyes University School of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Diagn Interv Radiol 15:207-9. 2009b>Zenker diverticulum is known as an adult disease which occurs as result of outpouching of pharyngeal mucosa through a weak zone in the posterior wall of the pharynx...
- Oesophageal diverticulaMario Costantini
Clinica Chirugica IV, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua, 2, Via Giustiniani, Padua, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 18:3-17. 2004..On the other hand, laparoscopic treatment of epiphrenic diverticula has recently been introduced with encouraging results. However, because the disease is rare, more experience is required in order to allow definitive conclusions...
- Endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulum with an oblique-end hood attached to the endoscopeP Sakai
, , Brazil
Gastrointest Endosc 54:760-3. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: With the use of the oblique-end hood attached to the tip of the endoscope, incision of Zenker's diverticulum is simplified and can be performed as a single-session procedure...
- Zenker's diverticula: pathophysiology, clinical presentation, and flexible endoscopic managementL E V V C Ferreira
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Dis Esophagus 21:1-8. 2008..In this article we describe the pathophysiology, clinical presentation and review the techniques and outcome following flexible endoscopic management of Zenker's diverticulum...
- Treatment of Zenker's diverticulum through a flexible endoscope with a transparent oblique-end hood attached to the tip and a monopolar forcepsP Christiaens
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Imeldaziekenhuis Bonheiden, Belgium
Endoscopy 39:137-40. 2007..In our single-center study we report the safety and feasibility of endoscopic myotomy through a flexible endoscope, performed at a secondary referral centre...
- Endotherapy of Zenker's diverticulum using the needle-knife technique: long-term follow-upA Vogelsang
Medizinische Klinik, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Düsseldorf, Germany
Endoscopy 39:131-6. 2007..After poor results in four patients treated by argon plasma coagulation, we studied the efficacy and the long-term outcome of dissection using a needle-knife in a consecutive series of patients...
- Argon plasma coagulation for flexible endoscopic Zenker's diverticulotomyT Rabenstein
Department of Medicine II, Dr Horst Schmidt Kliniken Wiesbaden, Wiesbaden, Germany
Endoscopy 39:141-5. 2007..This retrospective study reports the mid-term results of argon plasma coagulation (APC) for flexible endoscopic therapy of Zenker's diverticulum...
- Flexible endoscopic Zenker's diverticulotomy: cap-assisted technique vs. diverticuloscope-assisted techniqueG Costamagna
Digestive Surgical Endoscopy Unit, Department of Surgical Sciences, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Endoscopy 39:146-52. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the technical results and efficacy of two flexible endoscopic diverticulotomy techniques...
- Evolution of endoscopic surgical therapy for Zenker's diverticulumAlexander T Hillel
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0910, USA
Laryngoscope 119:39-44. 2009..Lastly, this manuscript will analyze the delay in widespread application of endoscopic surgical repair of Zenker's diverticulum...
- [Persistent pharyngeocutaneous fistula after transcervical resection of a diverticulum of the hypopharynx]K Wiedemann
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377, Munchen, Deutschland
HNO 57:1275-9. 2009..The pharynx was closed with a running suture using the Conley technique. The fistula healed, and there were no further recurrences...
- Pharyngeal pouch (Zenker's diverticulum)M A Siddiq
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Bradford Royal Infirmary, Duckworth Lane, Bradford BD9 6RJ, UK
Postgrad Med J 77:506-11. 2001..The small risk of developing carcinoma within a pouch that is not excised remains a contentious issue and is an argument for long term follow up or treating the condition by external excision, particularly in younger patients...
- [Extraesophageal reflux in patients suffering from Zenker's diverticulum]C Morales-Divo
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, Mainz, Germany
HNO 55:546-50. 2007....
- Radiographic findings and complications after surgical or endoscopic repair of Zenker's diverticulum in 16 patientsB D Sydow
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 177:1067-71. 2001....
- Images in clinical medicine. Zenker's diverticulumS Alam Hannan
St Bartholomew s Hospital, London EC1A 7BE, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 354:e24. 2006
- Preliminary experience by a thoracic service with endoscopic transoral stapling of cervical (Zenker's) diverticulumChristopher R Morse
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 11:1091-4. 2007..0 after OS. The time to oral intake was 1.38 days in the ES group and 1.29 days in the OS group (p = 0.80). We conclude that ES is feasible and can be performed with shorter operative times and comparable short-term results to OS...
- Outcome and quality of life after open surgery versus endoscopic stapler-assisted esophagodiverticulostomy for Zenker's diverticulumD Wirth
Department of Surgery, St Claraspital, Basel, Switzerland
Dis Esophagus 19:294-8. 2006..Both groups had an excellent Gastrointestinal Quality of Life Index, comparable to that of a healthy standard population...
- [Zenker's diverticulum: technique and results of endoscopic treatment with Endo-GIA 30 stapler]M Folia
CHU Dijon, Service ORL, 3 rue Faubourg Raines, 21000 Dijon, France
Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 129:101-5. 2008The purpose of this project was to analyze the endoscopic management of Zenker diverticulum using an Endo-GIA stapler inserted transorally to perform an oesophageal diverticulostomia.
- 20 years experience in the management of Zenker's diverticulum in a third-level hospitalJ Ruiz-Tovar
Department of General and Digestive Surgery, University Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 98:429-35. 2006..A diverticulectomy with cricopharingeal myotomy was performed in 74% of patients. Complications developed in 5 cases (21%), and the recurrence rate was 4% (1 of 3 cases, where myotomy was not performed)...
- Stapled diverticulectomy and myotomy for symptomatic Zenker's diverticulumThomas R McLean
Department of Surgery, EKVAHCS, 4104 S Fourth Street Trafficway, Leavenworth, KS 66048, USA
Am J Surg 192:e28-31. 2006..Few surgeons have extensive experience with the operative management of Zenker's diverticulum (ZD)...
- An animal training model for endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulumDiahann L Seaman
Developmental Endoscopy Unit, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 65:1050-3. 2007..The alternative to surgery is a diverticulotomy, performed endoscopically. Given the rarity of this condition, it is not possible to obtain training. There has been no animal model identified that resembles the disease in human beings...
- Cricopharyngeal myotomy in the treatment of Zenker's diverticulumMario Colombo-Benkmann
Department of General Surgery, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
J Am Coll Surg 196:370-7; discussion 377; author reply 378. 2003..This retrospective, nonrandomized study evaluates the outcomes of surgical therapy, with reference to cricopharyngeal myotomy (CM)...
- Clinical approach to the dysphagic patientA R Halama
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Free University Brussels, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 48:119-26. 1994..This team approach will allow in most of the patients with dysphagia not only to identify the cause of the complaint but also to implement an effective treatment...
- Botulinum toxin type A (Dysport) for the treatment of Zenker's diverticulumP Spinelli
Diagnostic and Surgical Endoscopy Unit, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via G Venezian No 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
Surg Endosc 17:660. 2003..As a result of its ease of application and efficacy, this treatment can be recommended for patients who are unable to undergo the surgical operations; it can be considered a valid alternative to the other endoscopic procedures...
- Endoscopic therapy for Zenker diverticulum--the good and the badH Feussner
Endoscopy 39:154-5. 2007
- [Endoscopic septotomy treatment of Zenker's diverticulum]Andrzej Białek
Klinika Gastroenterologii Pomorskiej Akademii Medycznej w Szczecinie
Pol Arch Med Wewn 116:658-62. 2006..The Zenker's diverticulum is the rare finding in upper endoscopy, but choice of treatment may bring some problems. Nowadays, the flexible endoscopy has been in focus of interest for treatment of Zenker's diverticulum...
- An audit of pharyngeal pouch surgery using endoscopic stapling. The patient's viewpointM D Weller
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Worcestershire Royal Hospital, Worcester, UK
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 261:331-3. 2004..Seventy-five percent had no symptoms postoperatively. This series shows that surgery on pharyngeal pouches results in significant improvement in patient symptoms with minimal morbidity and mortality...
- Endoscopic staple diverticulostomy for recurrent Zenker's diverticulumRichard L Scher
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Laryngoscope 113:63-7. 2003....
- Long-term follow-up of endoscopic stapled diverticulotomyP R Counter
University Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 84:89-92. 2002..This series shows that it has a good long-term outcome that is similar to established open techniques and probably better than other techniques of endoscopic diverticulotomy, i.e. diathermy or laser...
- Simulated Zenker's endoscopic staple-assisted esophagodiverticulostomy (ESED) surgeryWilliam J Richtsmeier
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Bassett Healthcare, Cooperstown, New York 13326, U S A
Laryngoscope 112:1230-4. 2002..Endoscopic surgery for Zenker's diverticulum presents a dilemma mandating simulated surgery because there is no animal model or cadaver situation resembling the pathologic condition...
- [Endoscopic stapling diverticulostomy for Zenker diverticulum]Gyorgy Lazar
Szegedi Tudomanyegyetem, Szent Györgyi Albert Orvos és Gyógyszerésztudományi Centrum
Orv Hetil 145:15-7. 2004The authors have successfully applied the endoscopic stapling diverticulostomy for three patients with symptomatic Zenker diverticulum.
- Minimally invasive surgery for esophageal motility disordersNagammapudur S Balaji
Department of Surgery, University of Southern California, 1510 San Pablo Street, HCC 514, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Surg Clin North Am 82:763-82. 2002..Endoscopic stapled diverticulotomy is a safe and effective procedure for Zenker's diverticulum and has potential advantages over the open approach...
- Fiberoptic endoscopic-assisted diverticulotomy: a novel technique for the management of Zenker's diverticulumJason I Altman
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 114:347-51. 2005..We present a novel technique, flexible fiberoptic endoscopic-assisted diverticulotomy, for the management of patients who are unable to undergo rigid endoscopy...
- [Endoscopic assisted endoluminal stapler-diverticulotomy of Zenker diverticulum]J Schipper
Universitätsklinik für Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde und Poliklinik, Universitatsklinikum Freiburg, Killianstrasse 5, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Laryngorhinootologie 84:577-82. 2005..The overview for the surgeon for correct placement of the clip device is limited due to the physiological narrowness of the pharyngeal tube...
- [Our experience with diverticulectomy in symptomatic Zenker's diverticulum]M Smejkal
Chirurgische Klinik des Universitätskrankenhauses Motol
Zentralbl Chir 132:504-8. 2007..Endoscopic methods are highly effective. We tried to answer the question whether the development of endoscopic methods means the end of open surgery...
- Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy: a radiologic and manometric study of the pharynx and esophagusJoerg Patrick Stübgen
Department of Neurology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Dysphagia 23:341-7. 2008..Any esophageal dysmotility was nonspecific and insignificant and was caused by an undetermined, probably neuropathic, process unrelated to the muscular dystrophy...
- Morphological findings in dynamic swallowing studies of symptomatic patientsMartina Scharitzer
Department of Radiology, University of Vienna, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur Radiol 12:1139-44. 2002..This fact underlines the role of videofluoroscopy as a diagnostic test for function as well as morphology...
- Ultrasound-guided stellate ganglion block successfully prevented esophageal punctureSamer Narouze
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Pain Physician 10:747-52. 2007..This may be particularly useful in the patient with asymptomatic pharyngoesophageal diverticulum (Zenker diverticulum).
- Eponyms in esophageal surgery, part 2F A M Herbella
Department of Surgery, Esophagus Division, Escola Paulista de Medicina, UNIFESP, Rua Napoleao de Barros, 715 2 andar, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Dis Esophagus 18:4-16. 2005..disease behind Barrett's esophagus, Boerhaave's syndrome, Mallory-Weiss syndrome, Cameron ulcer, Schatzki ring, Paterson-Kelly syndrome, Plummer-Vinson, Chagas's disease, Zenker diverticulum and Killian diverticulum are reviewed here.
- [Zenker diverticulum: a case report]Sinan Kocaturk
Department of Otolaryngology, Medicine Faculty of Ufuk University, Ankara, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 19:311-5. 2009....
- [Gastrointestinal surgery and gastroenterology. VII. Proximal motility disorders in the digestive tract]G E Boeckxstaens
Academisch Medisch Centrum Universiteit van Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 144:548-53. 2000..constrictor pharyngis inferior (M. cricopharyngeus), which is frequently associated with a Zenker diverticulum. Treatment consists of endoscopical or surgical myotomy and diverticulectomy...
- Acquired pharyngoesophageal diverticulum in childhoodA Abu-Omar
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Birmingham Children s Hospital, UK
J Laryngol Otol 124:1298-9. 2010..Most reported cases in children are congenital in nature. We present a unique acquired case of diverticulum in childhood, together with radiographic evidence of this pathology...
- Zenker's diverticulum. A rare cause of dysphagiaAhmed N Al-Juboori
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Ibn Sina College of Medicine, Fallujah General Hospital, Al Anbar, Iraq
Saudi Med J 34:91-3. 2013..Zenker's diverticulum should be considered as one of the rare causes of dysphagia in elderly patients, and the treatment modalities depend on individual experience and availability of the facilities...
- Characteristics of Killian-Jamieson diverticula mimicking a thyroid noduleHee Kyung Kim
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Head Neck 34:599-603. 2012..The purpose of this study was to define the clinical and ultrasonographic characteristics of K-J diverticula...
- Endoscopic or external approach revision surgery for pharyngeal pouch following primary endoscopic stapling: which is the favoured approach?Malcolm A Buchanan
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 270:1707-10. 2013..However, the "staple over staple" effect of revision stapling leads to unpredictable fibrosis, which can contribute to risk of perforation...
- Optimising endoscopic stapling of pharyngeal pouchesA Moore
Department of ENT, St George s Healthcare NHS Trust, London, UK
J Laryngol Otol 126:407-8. 2012..Small pharyngeal pouches are difficult to staple because of difficulties engaging the stapling device over the cricopharyngeal bar...
- Case report of Zenker's diverticulum in identical twins: further evidence for genetic predispositionT Klockars
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
J Laryngol Otol 124:1129-31. 2010..We report identical twins with Zenker's diverticulum...
- Myotomy length determinants in endoscopic staple-assisted esophagodiverticulostomy for small Zenker's diverticulaWilliam J Richtsmeier
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Bassett Healthcare, Cooperstown, New York 13326, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 114:341-6. 2005..A minimum residual pouch can be achieved with a combination of stapler and suture techniques, but is more technically demanding than the original ESED description...