Summary: Presence of air in the mediastinal tissues due to leakage of air from the tracheobronchial tree, usually as a result of trauma.
Publications196 found, 100 shown here
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum in childrenM Chalumeau
Service de Pneumologie et d'Allergologie de l'Enfant, , Paris, France
Pediatr Pulmonol 31:67-75. 2001..Predisposing factors should be identified and controlled to prevent recurrence. Cases of idiopathic SPM necessitate diagnostic pulmonary function tests after the acute episode, to establish whether the child has asthma...
- Spontaneous retropharyngeal and cervical emphysema: a rare singer's injuryNeville P Shine
Department of Otolaryngology, South Infirmary Victoria Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Ear Nose Throat J 84:726-7. 2005..We describe a case that was unusual in its etiology: the result of singing. Although this condition is usually benign, hospital admission for close observation and supportive therapy is prudent...
- [Spontaneous cervical emphysema: a case report]C Bodenez
CHU Pellegrin, Tripode, Clinique ORL, Place A Raba Léon, F 33076 Bordeaux, France
Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 124:195-8. 2003..The radiological or surgical explorations which may be used in this aetiological diagnosis and treatment are given...
- Cervical emphysema, pneumomediastinum, and pneumothorax following self-induced oral injury: report of four cases and review of the literatureM F López-Peláez
Department of Radiology, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain fernandez
Chest 120:306-9. 2001..They constitute an uncommon clinical entity that, to our knowledge, has not been reported in the literature. Its radiologic appearance, clinical presentation, and diagnosis are described...
- Assessment of spontaneous pneumomediastinum: experience with 12 patientsJacques B Jougon
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Haut Leveque Hospital, Bordeaux University Hospital, Pessac, France
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1711-4. 2003..The aim of this study is to report a series of spontaneous pneumomediastinum in a population of young, tall, and thin patients with a history of thoracic hyper pressure, and to analyze the assessment required in such patients...
- Cervicofacial and mediastinal emphysema complicating a dental procedureAndrew J Mather
Health Science Centre, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery GC308, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3A 1R9
J Can Dent Assoc 72:565-8. 2006..In this paper, we present a case in which subcutaneous emphysema developed in a middle-aged woman following routine restorative treatment. We review the features of the condition and its treatment and discuss means of prevention...
- Pneumomediastinum in interstitial lung disease associated with dermatomyositis and polymyositisBenoit Le Goff
Le Mans General Hospital, Le Mans, France
Arthritis Rheum 61:108-18. 2009..Spontaneous pneumomediastinum is a rare complication of dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM). The aim of this study was to characterize this complication and determine its prognostic factors...
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum: 41 casesIvan Macia
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Feixa Llarga s n, 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:1110-4. 2007..Spontaneous pneumomediastinum is characterized by the presence of interstitial air in the mediastinum without any apparent precipitating factor. The purpose of this study is to review and discuss our experience with this condition...
- The Macklin effect: a frequent etiology for pneumomediastinum in severe blunt chest traumaM Wintermark
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Chest 120:543-7. 2001..Its identification does not rule out a tracheobronchial injury. The Macklin effect reflects severe trauma, since it is associated with significantly prolonged intensive care stay...
- Spontaneous mediastinal emphysemaDorit Weissberg
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Tel Aviv University Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv, Israel
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:885-8. 2004Spontaneous mediastinal emphysema is uncommon. Its cause has not been determined precisely, but the entity is usually associated with suddenly raised alveolar pressure.
- Spontaneous pneumopericardium, pneumomediastinum and subcutaneous emphysema: unusual complications of asthma in a 2-year-old boyV Ameh
Emergency Department, South Manchester University Hospital, Manchester, UK
Emerg Med J 23:466-7. 2006..He made a good recovery and was discharged after 7 days. This case highlights the need for a high index of suspicion of asthma in very young children presenting for the first time with such complications...
- Mediastinal emphysema complicating diabetic ketoacidosis: plea for conservative diagnostic approachR G Pauw
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Medicine and Tuberculosis, University Medical Centre Groningen, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 65:368-71. 2007..Spontaneous pneumomediastinum has been infrequently reported as a complication of diabetic ketoacidosis. Evidence-based guidelines are currently not available to help in choosing the best diagnostic approach...
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum: a comparative study and review of the literatureManuel Caceres
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Appalachian Regional Healthcare, Hazard, Kentucky, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 86:962-6. 2008..This study was undertaken to provide a thorough clinical and radiologic analysis of this patient population...
- Percutaneous or surgical tracheostomy: a meta-analysisP Dulguerov
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Geneva Hospital, Switzerland
Crit Care Med 27:1617-25. 1999..To compare percutaneous with surgical tracheostomy using a meta-analysis of studies published from 1960 to 1996...
- Pneumomediastinum and subcutaneous emphysema in an 18-month-old childBenjamin Gesundheit
Department of Pediatrics, Hadassah Ein Karem and Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, Israel
J Pediatr 141:116-20. 2002
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum: a benign curiosity or a significant problem?Andrew E Newcomb
Austin Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Chest 128:3298-302. 2005..To identify the significance of spontaneous pneumomediastinum (SPM) and to optimize its management...
- Pneumoperitoneum recurring concomitantly with asthmatic exacerbationKiyoshi Sekiya
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Toho University Medical Center, Tokyo
Intern Med 47:47-9. 2008..Subsequently, a computed tomography scan of his chest confirmed mediastinal emphysema and intra-abdominal air beneath his diaphragm...
- Pneumomediastinum and subcutaneous emphysema as the manifestation of emphysematous pyelonephritisYen Chieh Wang
Department of Urology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Chungshan North Road, Taipei 10449, Taiwan
Int J Urol 11:909-11. 2004..Pneumomediastinum as a presentation in retroperitoneal infection has not been reported previously, which prompts us to discuss its etiology and emphasize the importance of physical examination...
- A case of spontaneous pneumomediastinum and pneumopericardium in a young adultY J Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Catholic University of Korea, 520-2 Daehung2-dong, Chung-gu, Daejeon 301-723, Korea
Korean J Intern Med 16:205-9. 2001..The course of spontaneous pneumomediastinum and pneumopericardium is usually benign and self-limited. A case of spontaneous pneumomediastinum, pneumopericardium and subcutaneous emphysema in a 20-year-old male is reported in this paper...
- Pneumomediastinum simulating a panic attack in a patient with anorexia nervosaAnita Karim
Department of Medicine, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York 11040, USA
Int J Eat Disord 33:104-7. 2003..Pneumomediastinum is a rare complication of anorexia nervosa. Although the mechanism is unknown, severe malnutrition may affect lung mechanics by altering the connective tissue, predisposing to pneumomediastinum...
- Pneumorachis and pneumomediastinum caused by repeated Müller's maneuvers: complications of marijuana smokingE Hazouard
Department of Pneumology, INSERM EMI U 00 10, Bretonneau University Hospital, Tours, France
Ann Emerg Med 38:694-7. 2001..High-concentration oxygen therapy to achieve nitrogen washout was used...
- Current assessment and management of spontaneous pneumomediastinum: experience in 24 adult patientsGeorge J Koullias
Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Yale New Haven Hospital, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 25:852-5. 2004..The purpose of this study was to review our experience in dealing with this entity and detail a reasonable course of assessment and management...
- Mediastinal emphysema after esophageal endoscopic submucosal dissection: its prevalence and clinical significanceYuki Maeda
Department of Gastroenterology, Sendai City Medical Center, Miyagino ku, Sendai, Japan
Dig Endosc 23:221-6. 2011To assess the prevalence and clinical significance of mediastinal emphysema (ME) after esophageal endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD).
- Mediastinal emphysema and bilateral pneumothoraces with chronic GVHD in patients after allogeneic stem cell transplantationT Toubai
Department of Hematology, Sapporo Hokuyu Hospital, Japan
Bone Marrow Transplant 33:1159-63. 2004..We retrospectively analyzed the characteristics of five patients with mediastinal emphysema (ME) and bilateral pneumothoraces (BP) caused by chronic lung GVHD after allo-SCT...
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum: experience in 18 adult patientsBaldassare Mondello
Unit of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Sciences, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria G Martino, Messina, Italy
Lung 185:9-14. 2007..SPM is an uncommon pathology with a usually benign course. The authors discuss SPM. A diagnostic algorithmic approach is necessary to rule out severe secondary entities and consequences that need urgent treatment...
- Vomiting-induced pneumomediastinum and subcutaneous emphysema does not always indicate Boerhaave's syndrome: report of six casesMatthew J Forshaw
Department of General Surgery, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, St Thomas Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, London, SE1 7EH, UK
Surg Today 37:888-92. 2007..We review the literature with particular emphasis on differentiating spontaneous pneumomediastinum from spontaneous esophageal perforation...
- Two case reports of pneumomediastinumD O'Dwyer
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 176:239-41. 2007..One case had a history of inhalational drug abuse, which may have contributed to the event, while the other had no obvious precipitating factors...
- [Late complication of hiatal hernia surgery]B Suc
Service de Chirurgie Générale et Digestive Hôpital de Rangueil Toulouse
J Chir (Paris) 141:157-64. 2004
- Onset of subcutaneous emphysema and pneumomediastinum after tonsillectomy: a case reportAngelo C D Panerari
Clínica de Otorrinolaringologia Ivan F Barbosa, Hospital Beneficência Portuguesa de São Paulo
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 71:94-6. 2005....
- Images in clinical medicine. PneumomediastinumKuo Hsien Chiang
Buddhist Tzu Chi Medical Center, Hualien, Taiwan
N Engl J Med 354:1177. 2006
- Multiple rheumatoid nodules with rapid thin-walled cavity formation producing pneumothoraxTakuya Kobayashi
Department of Radiology, Kagawa University, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa, Japan
J Thorac Imaging 20:47-9. 2005....
- Delayed repair of bronchial avulsion in a child through median sternotomyPeter Beale
Division of Paediatric Surgery, Johannesburg Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Trauma 58:617-9. 2005
- [Epidural, mediastinal and subcutaneous emphysema in a patient with suspected torme fruste of Marfan syndrome]Katsunada Fujimoto
Department of Medicine, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Fukuoka University School of Medicine
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 42:909-13. 2004..Chest radiography showed subcutaneous and mediastinal emphysema. Neck CT at the level of C7 showed air around the trachea, extending to the subcutaneous tissue and the ..
- Images of interest. Gastrointestinal: Boerhaave's syndromeT C Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:1788. 2005
- Pneumomediastinum and soft tissue emphysema of the neck in postmortem CT and MRI; a new vital sign in hanging?Emin Aghayev
Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Bern, Buehlstrasse 20, 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Forensic Sci Int 153:181-8. 2005..Postmortem cross-sectional imaging is considered a useful visualization tool for emphysema, with a great potential for examination and documentation...
- Pneumorrhachis of the entire spinal canalM F Oertel
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, School of Medicine, Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:1036. 2005
- [A six-year-old girl with dyspnea following tracheocutaneous repair]Kim Alexander Tønseth
Plastikkirurgisk avdeling, Rikshospitalet, 0027 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 125:1184-6. 2005..The procedure needed to correct the condition is generally considered minor surgery, normally without any significant complications. We describe, however, a patient who developed a particularly complicated postoperative course...
- Subcutaneous cervicofacial emphysema and pneumo-mediastinum: a rare complication after a crown preparationDavid C Stanton
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Gen Dent 53:122-4. 2005..This article presents a case report of subcutaneous and mediastinal emphysema following a routine restorative dental procedure...
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinumThomas E Langwieler
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 78:711-3. 2004..Spontaneous pneumomediastinum should be considered whenever there are anamnestic data for retrosternal chest pain that radiates to the neck or back accompanied by dysphagia, dysphonia, dyspnea, and a positive Hamman's sign...
- Subcutaneous emphysema secondary to pulmonary cavity in absence of pneumothorax or pneumomediastinumDeveshwar Pandey
Department of Medicine, Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla 171001 H P, India
Respir Med 101:363-5. 2007..We report a case of spontaneous subcutaneous emphysema in isolation secondary to fibrocavitatory lesion in the chest along with review of the literature...
- [Pneumothorax and subcutaneous emphysema following rib fracture]L Schute
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:698; author reply 698. 2007
- Medical image. Pneumomediastinum and pneumopericardiumLuis Martinez-Moya
Internal Medicine Department, University Hospital Lozano Blesa, Zaragoza, Spain
N Z Med J 120:U2499. 2007
- Radiology quiz case 2. Rhinoscleroma and cervical emphysemaMarc Cohen
University of California, Los Angeles, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:615, 617-8. 2007
- Bilateral pneumothorax following endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: a case reportH Markogiannakis
1st Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokrateion Hospital, Athens Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Endoscopy 39:E195. 2007
- Spontaneous pneumothorax, pneumomediastinum, and epidural emphysema presenting as neck pain suspicious for meningitisVijay S Dontu
Department of Medicine, York Hospital, York, PA 17405 7198, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 23:469-71. 2007..This may prevent potentially life-threatening complications. Subcutaneous emphysema, pneumomediastinum, and epidural emphysema associated with spontaneous bilateral pneumothoraces represents an extremely rare presentation...
- [Extensive traumatic pneumomediastinum. without injuries of organs in the thorax: report of a case]D Okutani
Department of Cancer and Thoracic Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
Kyobu Geka 60:942-5. 2007....
- [Subcutaneous emphysema of the face, neck and upper mediastinum following a minor maxillofacial trauma]Fikret Bildik
Department of Emergency Medicine, Medicine Faculty of Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 13:251-3. 2007..We present this present case to emphasize early initial management and close observation of minor facial traumas which can prevent further unexpected complications...
- Epidural air associated with spontaneous pneumomediastinum in children: uncommon complication?Tatsuo Kono
Department of Radiology, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Tochigi, Japan
Pediatr Int 49:923-7. 2007..The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the incidence of epidural air associated with spontaneous pneumomediastinum in children...
- [Unusual cause of pneumomediastinum]W Faber
Klinik und Poliklinik für Allgemein, Viszeral, Thorax und Gefasschirurgie, Medizinische Fakultät der Rheinischen Friedrich Wilhelms Universität, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, Bonn, Germany
Chirurg 79:680-1. 2008..We present the hypothesis of the pathogenesis of this disease. The correct therapy is observation of the patient and maximum sedation...
- Nonfatal cerebral air embolism after dental surgeryGiuseppina Magni
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Policlinico Umberto I University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Anesth Analg 106:249-51, table of contents. 2008..The likely mechanism was injection of air by the high-speed dental drill through the soft tissue adjacent to the roots of the lower molars. We were unable to find any previous report of systemic air embolism after oral surgery...
- ["Usual" cannabis abuse producing an unusual incident]H J Heppner
Klinikum Nurnberg Nord, Medizinische Klinik 2, Intensivmedizin Toxikologie, Lehrstuhl Innere Medizin V Geriatrie, FAU Erlangen Nürnberg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:560-2. 2007..Except for regular abuse of cannabis there was no medical history of note. He had a sinus tachycardia (130 bpm), a slow pupillary reflex, bilateral hyposphagma and subcutaneous emphysema around the neck and shoulders...
- Descending necrotizing mediastinitis after upper gastrointestinal endoscopyK Kaira
Department of Medicine and Molecular Science, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Showa machi, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Endoscopy 39:E29. 2007
- Spontaneous thoracic air-leakage syndrome in patients following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: causes, CT-follow up and patient outcomeMonika Vogel
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Eberhard Karls University, Hoppe Seyler Str 3, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Radiol 60:392-7. 2006....
- [Case studies of iatrogenic tracheal injury during intraoperative ventral positioning. Symptoms, diagnostics, and differential therapy]T Walles
Abteilung für Allgemein, Viszeral und Unfallchirurgie, Robert Bosch Krankenhaus, Auerbachstrasse 110, 70376 Stuttgart
Chirurg 78:374-8. 2007..Clinical symptoms, diagnostic procedure, findings, and therapy are discussed...
- Spontaneous pneumorrhachis in bronchial asthmaM Eesa
Department of Radiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Acta Radiol 47:672-4. 2006..Although spontaneous pneumomediastinum and subcutaneous emphysema have been described in a variety of situations, including patients with asthma, spontaneous pneumorrhachis in asthmatics is a very rare entity...
- [A case of spontaneous epidural emphysema occurring during sleep]Yusuke Shikama
Respiratory Disease Center, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 44:601-5. 2006..He stayed at rest and was treated conservatively and his symptoms improved within a few days. Seven days later, the intraspinal air and pneumomediastinum had resolved spontaneously on follow-up chest computed tomography (CT)...
- Pneumomediastinum and cervicofacial emphysema following a nasally obstructed sneezeMarc A Tewfik
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Otolaryngol 35:355-7. 2006
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum and subcutaneous emphysema in systemic sclerosisMaria do Socorro Teixeira Moreira Almeida
Federal University of Piaui, Avenida Elias João Tajra, 620, apto 502, Jockey, Teresina, Piaui, CEP 64049 300, Brazil
Rheumatol Int 27:675-7. 2007..Pneumomediastinum is an extremely rare complication in patients with systemic sclerosis...
- Esophageal intramural pseudodiverticulosis complicated by pneumomediastinumB Termote
Dep Of Radiology, Ziekenhuis Oost Limburg, Schiepse Bos 6, 3600 Genk
JBR-BTR 89:251-3. 2006..During the following thoracic surgery procedure no macroscopic site of rupture could be identified. Pseudodiverticulosis was detected during a barium swallow exam of the esophagus 4 weeks later...
- A frightening complication of general anaesthesia for paediatric dental extractionsD Kumar
Department of Anaesthesia, Wexford General Hospital, Wexford, Ireland
Pediatr Surg Int 23:613-6. 2007..Causes and treatment of these complications are discussed...
- Pneumomediastinum, bilateral pneumothorax, pleural effusion, and surgical emphysema after routine apicectomy caused by vomitingArchita Gulati
General Surgery at Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Road, Oldham OL1 2JH, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:136-7. 2008..We suggest that persistent postoperative vomiting caused inhalation of mediastinal and intrathoracic air...
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum involving carotid artery neurovascular pedicleEfstratios Koletsis
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Patras, Patras, Greece
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 16:434-5. 2008
- Subcutaneous emphysema, pneumomediastinum and bilateral pneumothoraces after laparoscopic pyeloplastyWendy Siu
Department of Urology, University of Michigan, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0330, USA
J Urol 170:1936-7. 2003
- Bilateral pneumothorax: an unusual complication of normal deliveryMeera Singh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Wellington Hospital, Wellington, New Zealand
N Z Med J 115:U275. 2002
- Diagnosis of complete mainstem bronchus avulsion by 3-dimensional spiral CT scan of the chestA Baisi
Ospedale Maggiore di Milano, IRCSS, Thoracic Surgery Unit, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Minerva Chir 58:587-9. 2003..The lesion was successfully treated by surgery. Bronchoscopic findings in TBI may be unclear also for an experienced thoracic surgeon...
- Pneumothorax during dental careThad J Barkdull
Department of Family Medicine, DeWitt Army Community Hospital, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 16:165-9. 2003
- Cervical emphysema and pneumomediastinum after tonsillectomy: it can happenGino Marioni
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery and the Institute of Radiology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:298-300. 2003
- Massive subcutaneous emphysema following routine endotracheal intubationK F Watters
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 117:899-901. 2003..The case of a 57-year-old female, who developed extensive neck and pneumomediastinum following a knee arthroscopy under general anaesthesia, is presented. Possible mechanisms of injury and management options are discussed...
- Neck crepitance: evaluation and management of suspected upper aerodigestive tract injurySteven L Goudy
Department of Surgery, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Kentucky 40292, USA
Laryngoscope 112:791-5. 2002..To determine safe criteria for the management of patients with crepitance of the neck...
- Pneumorrhachis, subcutaneous emphysema, pneumomediastinum, pneumopericardium, and pneumoretroperitoneum after proctocolectomy for ulcerative colitis: report of a caseLuther H Holton
Department of Surgery, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 45:567-70. 2002..We offer possible explanations for these unusual complications based on analysis of this case and thorough review of the literature...
- Pneumomediastinum after dental surgeryD E Davies
Department of Anaesthesia, Mercy Hospital, Perth, WA, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 29:638-41. 2001..Surgical handpieces that vent the air away from the surgical field should be used during such procedures. The mediastinal and subcutaneous air resolved after oxygen administration...
- Bilateral pneumothoraces, pneumomediastinum, pneumoperitoneum, pneumoretroperitoneum, and subcutaneous emphysema following intubation with a double-lumen endotracheal tube for thoracoscopic anterior spinal release and fusion in a patient with idiopathic sDaniel J Sucato
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas, Texas 75219, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 15:133-8. 2002..This report documents a life-threatening complication of air throughout the chest, mediastinum, abdomen, and subcutaneous tissues in a patient with severe scoliosis...
- Subcutaneous emphysema, pneumomediastinum and pneumothorax after laryngeal laser surgeryG Sanchez-Etayo
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:753-4. 2003
- Anterior infradiaphragmatic free gas following bronchial rupture: case report and literature reviewEamon S C Koh
Department of Radiology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Australas Radiol 48:58-60. 2004..We present a case of bronchial rupture complicated by extensive infradiaphragmatic gas following mechanical ventilation that illustrates these pathways and some of the major radiographic signs associated with this injury...
- Pneumomediastinum, pneumothorax and subcutaneous emphysema during radiotherapy in primary cavitating bronchogenic carcinomaRamakant Dixit
Department of Chest Diseases, J L N Medical College, Ajmer, India
Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 44:61-4. 2002..Possible mechanisms of such complications during radiotherapy are also discussed...
- [Tension pneumothorax during removal of a foreign body from the esophagus]M Mato Ponce
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 48:151-4. 2001..In the presence of sudden cardiorespiratory deterioration in a patient undergoing an endoscopic procedure, a diagnosis of tension pneumothorax must be considered...
- Surgical emphysema: a rare presentation of foreign body inhalationUrmil Jhamb
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Maulana Azad Medical College and LNH, New Delhi, India
Pediatr Emerg Care 20:311-3. 2004..A high index of suspicion for tracheobronchial foreign body is required in atypical presentations of acute pediatric respiratory distress...
- Extra-abdominal pneumodissection after laparoscopic antireflux surgeryJ A Harris
Department of General Surgery, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30912, USA
Am Surg 67:885-9. 2001..After this time one should consider the presence of any substantial amount of gas as a potential complication related to the procedure...
- [Complications in laparoscopic cholecystectomy]M B Mrksić
Sluzba za hirurgiju, Zdravstveni centar Dr Gere Istvan, Senta
Med Pregl 52:253-7. 1999..Numerous studies deal with complications associated with this surgical procedure...
- [Recurrent Candida sepsis with prolonged respiratory failure and severe liver dysfunction]J Lewejohann
Klinik fur Chirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, D 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Mycoses 48:94-8. 2005..Candida-septicemia: rupture of the distal esophagus after dilatation because of cardiac achalasia with mediastinal emphysema and mediastinitis...
- [A case of mediastinitis and bilateral pyothorax, following acute epiglottitis with concurrent Aspergillus infection]H Mashimoto
Department of Internal Medicine, Sasebo City General Hospital
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 66:648-52. 1992..A chest X-ray on admission showed widening of the mediastinum, mediastinal emphysema, subcutaneous emphysema and left pleural effusion...
- Role of conservative medical management of tracheobronchial injuriesAbel Gómez-Caro
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
J Trauma 61:1426-34; discussion 1434-5. 2006..This is a retrospective and descriptive study, which took place at a single center...
- Tracheobronchial foreign body aspirations in childhood: a 10-year experienceF Oguzkaya
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 14:388-92. 1998..Diagnostic delay may cause an increase in mortality and morbidity in cases without acute respiratory failure. We report our diagnostic and therapeutic modalities...
- Tracheal lacerations after endotracheal intubation: a proposed morphological classification to guide non-surgical treatmentGiuseppe Cardillo
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Azienda Ospedaliera San Camillo Forlanini, Carlo Forlanini Hospital, Rome, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 37:581-7. 2010..Postintubation tracheobronchial lacerations (PITLs) are traditionally managed surgically. We sought to evaluate the rationale for non-surgical management of PITL...
- Endotherapy of Zenker's diverticulum using the needle-knife technique: long-term follow-upA Vogelsang
Medizinische Klinik, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Düsseldorf, Germany
Endoscopy 39:131-6. 2007..After poor results in four patients treated by argon plasma coagulation, we studied the efficacy and the long-term outcome of dissection using a needle-knife in a consecutive series of patients...
- Do resuscitation-related injuries kill infants and children?Evan W Matshes
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Calgary, Foothills Hospital, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 31:178-85. 2010..intubation; 4 cases with focal pulmonary parenchymal hemorrhage; 1 case with prominent anterior mediastinal emphysema; and 2 cases with anterior chest abrasions...
- [Percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy]T Welte
Klinik fur Kardiologie, Angiologie, Pneumologie, Otto von Guericke Universitat Magdeburg
Med Klin (Munich) 94:51-4. 1999..This presentation reviews the complication rate and long-term outcome of percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy...
- Zapping Zenker's diverticulum: gastroscopic treatmentC J Mulder
Department of Hepatogastroenterology, Rijnstate Hospital, Arnhem, The Netherlands
Can J Gastroenterol 13:405-7. 1999..Complications included subcutaneous emphysema (n=17), mediastinal emphysema (n=5) and bleeding (n=2)...
- [Case of primary racemose hemangioma of a bronchial artery with life-threatening hemoptysis]Hiroshi Okamoto
Critical Care Medical Center Prefectural Hospital of Hiroshima, Hiroshima, Japan
Masui 57:178-81. 2008..roentgenogram and the chest computed tomogram showed infiltrative shadows in the bilateral lower lobes and mediastinal emphysema. On the second day of hospitalization, we performed double lumen endotracheal tube intubations for the ..
- Long-term outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial esophageal squamous cell neoplasmsSatoshi Ono
Department of Gastroenterology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 70:860-6. 2009..The long-term outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) for superficial esophageal squamous cell neoplasms (ESCNs) have not been evaluated to date...
- Successful conservative management in iatrogenic tracheobronchial injuryAbel Gómez-Caro Andrés
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Ann Thorac Surg 79:1872-8. 2005..The aim of this study was to describe and to assess the effectiveness of conservative treatment as the chosen treatment for managing iatrogenic tracheobronchial injuries (ITBI)...
- Bedside percutaneous tracheostomy: clinical comparison of Griggs and Fantoni techniquesC Byhahn
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine, and Pain Control, J W Goethe University Hospital Center, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
World J Surg 25:296-301. 2001..complications were noted in 4% of patients during either TLT or GWDF and included massive bleeding, mediastinal emphysema, posterior tracheal wall injury, and pretracheal placement of the tracheostomy tube...
- [Severe mediastinal emphysema after temporal gunshot with a gas revolver]M A Burmeister
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 37:222-4. 2002..The high pressure of the gas may damage soft tissue, bones and organs. This mechanism is able to cause mediastinal emphysema, rupture of upper and lower pharyngeal, esophageal and tracheal structures far away from the initial ..
- [Medical and surgical management of noniatrogenic traumatic tracheobronchial injuries]A Gómez-Caro Andrés
Servicio de Cirugía Torácica Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre Madrid España
Arch Bronconeumol 41:249-54. 2005..To describe the medical and surgical management of noniatrogenic traumatic tracheobronchial injuries...
- Implementation of percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy on neurosurgical coma patientsYili Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310016, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 115:1345-7. 2002..To present the authors' experience with percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy (PDT), with special attention to early and late complications, outcomes, and primary disease influence...
- [Retroperitoneal, mediastinal and subcutaneous emphysema with pneumothorax after colonoscopy]K J Goerg
Medizinische Klinik, Krankenhauses St Josef, Wuppertal
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 121:693-6. 1996..The patient could no more properly hear his own voice. Radiology demonstrated bilateral pneumoretroperitoneum, mediastinal emphysema and pneumothorax.
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type IV with a unique point mutation in COL3A1 and familial phenotype of myocardial infarction without organic coronary stenosisY Nishiyama
Department of Coronary and Intensive Care Medicine, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8603, Japan
J Intern Med 249:103-8. 2001..The disease was complicated with pneumothorax, subcutaneous and mediastinal emphysema, and splenic artery rupture. Three of the patient's family members suffered sudden cardiac death or MI...
- [Successfully treated case of cervical trachea injury caused by suicide]Takehiro Sakai
Department of Surgery, Kuroishi City Hospital, Kuroishi, Japan
Kyobu Geka 60:1079-82. 2007..Radiography and computed tomography showed subcutaneous and mediastinal emphysema. The patient was diagnosed as having trachea injury...
- Circumferential mucosal dissection and esophageal perforation in a patient with eosinophilic esophagitisGennaro Liguori
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Cattinara Hospital, Strada di Fiume 447, Trieste 34149, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 14:803-4. 2008..and subsequent CT scan demonstrated an intramural circumferential dissection of thoracic esophagus, and a mediastinal emphysema. An emergency right thoracotomy was performed, followed by a total esophagectomy with esophagogastroplasty ..
- Temporary extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in the treatment of acute traumatic lung injuryW Voelckel
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Leopold Franzens University of Innsbruck, Austria
Can J Anaesth 45:1097-102. 1998..To report two cases of acute life-threatening traumatic lung injury, who required temporary extracorporeal veno-venous membrane oxygenation (ECMO), and airlifting to a level I trauma centre...
- [Duodenal ulcer presenting as pneumomediastinum and pneumothorax -- case report]M J Utzig
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik I, Allgemein, Gefäss und Thoraxchirurgie, Abteilung für Allgemein Gefäss und Thoraxchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin
Zentralbl Chir 127:1091-3. 2002..Penetration into the retroperitoneum with pneumothorax and mediastinal emphysema are rarely observed...
- Clinical Decision Rule to Identify Children with Intra-Abdominal InjuriesJames Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable]..