Summary: Disorders of the mediastinum, general or unspecified.
Publications213 found, 100 shown here
- Castleman's disease: an unusual cause of mediastinal mass and anemiaA Candoni
Division of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Clin Ter 153:217-9. 2002..The optimal therapeutic approach is unknown but a complete surgical resection is treatment of choice for localized disease...
- Inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor mimicking anterior mediastinal malignancyChih Hao Chen
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei City, Taiwan
Ann Thorac Surg 86:1362-4. 2008..It was completely resected and found to be an inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor. The patient was well and had no recurrence 6 months after surgery...
- Mediastinal hibernoma simulates a malignant lesion on dual time point FDG imagingM J Burdick
Department of Radiology, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, VA, United States
Lung Cancer 59:391-4. 2008..This case exemplifies the complexity of tissue metabolic properties, and the difficulty in establishing absolute criteria for benign and malignant processes...
- CT findings of an ectopic pancreas in the anterior mediastinumZu Hua Chen
The Department of Radiology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China
Korean J Radiol 10:527-30. 2009..On enhanced CT scans, the solid component of the mass showed marked enhancement. We performed total surgical resection of the mass and complete pancreatic tissues were verified on the pathological examination...
- A rare case of unicentric plasma cell type Castleman's disease in the mediastinumClaudiu Nistor
Thoracic Surgery Clinic II, Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest
Pneumologia 59:32-5. 2010..This paper discusses the pathogenic mechanisms, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of Castleman's disease...
- Extracardiac findings at cardiac CT: a practical approachDavid Sosnouski
Department of Radiology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Thorac Imaging 22:77-85. 2007..It is important to have a practical approach in detecting and evaluating incidental findings so as not to cause undue cost or patient anxiety, while ensuring timely management of critical diseases...
- Prevalence of significant extracoronary findings on multislice CT coronary angiography examinations and coronary artery calcium scoring examinationsY M Law
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 52:49-56. 2008..The prevalence of extracoronary findings on these examinations may be of significance, resulting in additional 'hidden costs' if widespread 'screening' is adopted...
- The safety of fine-needle aspiration guided by endoscopic ultrasound: a prospective studyM Al-Haddad
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
Endoscopy 40:204-8. 2008..Fine-needle aspiration (FNA) is commonly performed in conjunction with endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) procedures. The complication rate associated with FNA is considered to be low but requires further evaluation with prospective studies...
- Diagnostic and therapeutic thoracoscopy for mediastinal diseaseAkihiko Kitami
Division of Chest Surgery, Respiratory Disease Center, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital, Kanagawa, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 10:14-8. 2004....
- Ectopic mediastinal pancreasU Cagirici
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ege University Medical Faculty, 35100, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 19:514-5. 2001..Herein we report a 45-year-old woman with a cyst containing pancreatic tissue in the mediastinum. The English literature reveals only three previous cases of this extremely rare localisation of the pancreas...
- Ectopic pancreas in mediastinum: report of 2 cases and review of the literatureWei Wang
Department of Radiology, East Hospital of Tongji University, Shanghai, China
J Thorac Imaging 22:256-8. 2007..However, the final diagnosis depends on pathologic examination...
- Pulmonary and mediastinal "sarcoidosis" following surgical resection of cancerEdwin Roger Parra
Department of Pathology, University of Sao Paulo, Medical School, Av, Arnaldo 455, Sao Paulo 01246 903, Brazil
Pathol Res Pract 200:701-5. 2004....
- Diagnosis of intra-abdominal and mediastinal sarcoidosis with EUS-guided FNAHazar Michael
Mineola, New York, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 67:28-34. 2008..The lowest yield with TBB is in cases that present with predominant mediastinal or intra-abdominal lymphadenopathy (LN) and minimal parenchymal lung involvement...
- Endoscopic ultrasonography with fine-needle aspiration: an accurate and simple diagnostic modality for sarcoidosisG Mishra
Digestive Disease Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, USA
Endoscopy 31:377-82. 1999..The present study is a descriptive, retrospective one using endoscopic ultrasound with fine-needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) of mediastinal lymph nodes in seven patients with sarcoidosis...
- Endoscopic ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspiration in the management of mediastinal diseases: local experience of a novel investigationY T Lee
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 16:121-5. 2010To study the efficacy and safety of endoscopic ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspiration in the management of mediastinal diseases in Hong Kong.
- EUS-guided fine needle aspiration in mediastinal lymphadenopathy of unknown etiologyMarc F Catalano
St Luke s Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 55:863-9. 2002..The aim of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy and impact on subsequent evaluation and therapy of EUS-FNA in mediastinal lymphadenopathy of unknown cause...
- Ectopic pancreas in the anterior mediastinumYamato Tamura
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Nara Medical University School of Medicine, Kashihara, Nara, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 53:498-501. 2005..We speculate that this lesion represents abnormal differentiation of the pluripotent epithelial cells of the ventral primary foregut. Details of the clinical and histopathological features are presented...
- [Mediastinal abscess as a remote complication of CABG combined with temporary cardiac pacing--a case report]Wojciech Domaradzki
II Klinika Kardiochirurgii, Sl AM, Katowice
Kardiol Pol 63:70-2. 2005..The patients underwent surgical removal of the abscess with a distal part of an epicardial pacing lead which was left after CABG and was the most probable cause of infection...
- [Extensive pleural empyema with mediastinal invasion]T Bruntner
Dr Siegfried A SchwabKlinik, Fränkische Schweiz Fachklinik für Innere Medizin, Feuersteinstr 2, 91320 Ebermannstadt
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:21-2. 2008
- Mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis with anthracosis as a cause of vocal cord paralysisH Ahmet Bircan
Department of Chest Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Tuberk Toraks 55:409-13. 2007..But she unfortunately died in the second month of the treatment because of the abdominal complication of gastric adenocarcinoma operation...
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 4-2008. A 33-year-old pregnant woman with swelling of the left breast and shortness of breathLawrence N Shulman
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 358:513-23. 2008
- Imaging of paediatric mediastinal massesD P Frush
Division of Pediatric Radiology, Rm 1905 McGovern Davison Children s Health Center, Box 3808, Department of Radiology, Duke University Health System, Erwin Road, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Ann Acad Med Singapore 32:525-35. 2003..Familiarity with the types of masses, frequency of presentation and imaging features are extremely valuable in determining the appropriate subsequent care for the child...
- Posterior mediastinal chondromatous hamartomaSuad Gholoum
Division of Thoracic Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1528-30. 2007..A left video assisted thorascopic excision of the posterior mediastinal mass was performed. Pathologic examination showed it to be a chondromatous hamartoma, representing a very unusual location for this type of tumor...
- Localized mediastinal lymph node amyloidosis showing an unusual unsynchronized pattern of enlargement and calcification on serial CTH Matsuguma
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Division of Thoracic Surgery, 4 9 13 Yohnan, Utsunomiya, Tochigi 320 0834, Japan
Br J Radiol 81:e228-30. 2008..In our case, serial CT carried out over a period of 3 years and 3 months showed an unusual and unsynchronized pattern of enlargement and calcification...
- The value of a noninvasive diagnostic approach to mediastinal massesRuediger Hoerbelt
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Justus Liebig University of Giessen, Giessen, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1086-90. 2003..We investigated the accuracy of noninvasive diagnostic studies distinguishing between the two groups of MLA and NLMT...
- Detection and follow-up of mediastinal lymph node enlargement in tuberculous pericardial effusions using computed tomographyGeorge Cherian
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, PO Box 24923, Safat 13110, Kuwait
Am J Med 114:319-22. 2003
- Cervical mediastinoscopy in The Netherlands: past or present? A retrospective analysis of 218 proceduresP W Plaisier
Department of General Surgery, Medisch Spectrum Twente, Enschede
Neth J Med 61:253-6. 2003..The aim of this study was to analyse the data of our CM procedures for their reliability and contribution in the assessment of mediastinal lymph nodes...
- [A case of giant tumorous shadow by pulmonary tuberculosis]Yuka Kyoraku
National Hospital Organization Miyazaki Higashi Hospital
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 44:892-5. 2006..The final diagnosis was pulmonary tuberculosis with mediastinal lymphadenopathy. Since the patient was a compromised host, the giant mass was considered to be induced by atypical response to mycobacterial infection...
- Mediastinal aspergilloma: a rare manifestation of a common infection with CT and pathologic correlationDavid S Grand
The Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0801, USA
Crit Rev Comput Tomogr 45:239-46. 2004..Extra-pulmonary thoracic aspergilloma is an unusual pathologic manifestation of this organism. We present a case manifesting as a mediastinal mass on chest CT causing some diagnostic difficulty and requiring surgical resection...
- Testicular seminoma presenting with mediastinal lymphadenopathy and gynecomastiaTsuneo Yamashiro
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medical Science, University of the Ryukyus, 207 Uehara, Nishihara cho, Okinawa, 903 0215, Japan
Radiat Med 25:303-5. 2007..Left orchiectomy was performed, with the histological examination confirming the diagnosis of seminoma...
- [Idiopathic mediastinal fibrosis as differential diagnosis of mediastinal structures]N Hackstein
Diagnostische Radiologie, Klinikum der Justus Liebig Universität Giessen
Rofo 176:1510-1. 2004
- [Rebound hyperplasia of the thymus with secondary intrathymic bleeding. Rare differential diagnosis of acute chest pain]S Gerhardt
Medizinische Klinik II St Marien Krankenhaus Siegen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:1916-8. 2004..A year later he had been given a renal transplant, which had to be removed a year before admission because of transplant glomerulopathy. He had been on peritoneal dialysis since then...
- Mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenopathy presenting with dysphagiaNaveen Bhatt
South Med J 100:728-9. 2007
- [Transbronchial needle aspiration as a diagnostic method in lung cancer and non-malignant mediastinal adenopathy]Artur Szlubowski
Oddział Pulmonologii i Pracownia Bronchoskopii Samodzielnego Publicznego Specjalistycznego Szpitala Chorób Płuc w Zakopanem Ordynator Oddziału
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 75:5-12. 2007..The aim of the study was to assess the diagnostic yield of transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA) in mediastinal or hilar adenopathy in: lung cancer, staging of NSCLC, sarcoidosis and other non-malignant diseases...
- [A case of desquamative interstitial pneumonia with bilateral hilar and mediastinal lymphadenopathy]Nagato Sato
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Saitama Cardiovascular and Respiratory Center, Saitama Respiratory Center, Saitama Medical School, Saitama, Japan
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 42:446-53. 2004..Since we could find no literature reporting DIP with bilateral hilar and mediastinal lymphadenopathy on thoracic CT, we consider the diagnostic problems and therapeutic response of this case to warrant a brief report...
- Cervico-mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis presenting as prolonged fever of unknown originYasar Bayindir
Inonu University, School of Medicine, Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Malatya, Turkey
J Natl Med Assoc 96:682-5. 2004....
- Identification of intrathoracic lymph nodes by transesophageal echocardiography--a novel role of TEEVincent L Sorrell
Clinical Medicine and Radiology, University of Arizona, Sarver Heart Center, Tucson 85724 5037, USA
Echocardiography 21:275-7. 2004..A brief review of the literature is also included...
- Haematemesis with mediastinal lymphadenopathyN Vaid
Department of Gastroenterology, West Middlesex University Hospital, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 6AF, UK
Gut 56:1684, 1695. 2007
- A diagnostic approach to mediastinal abnormalitiesCamilla R Whitten
Department of Radiology, St George s Hospital, Blackshaw Rd, Tooting, London SW17 0QT, England
Radiographics 27:657-71. 2007..Identification of the involved mediastinal compartment helps determine which imaging modality might be appropriate for further study...
- An unusual cause of a superior mediastinal mass in an infantMartin J Gillies
Oxford Children s Hospital, Headington, Oxford, OX3 9DZ, UK
Pediatr Surg Int 24:485-6. 2008..Clinical and radiological findings were suggestive of a malignancy. However, thoracoscopic biopsy revealed the presence of a tuberculous mass...
- [Mediastinal sarcoidosis and vascular thrombosis: a fortuitous association?]C Raherison
Service des Maladies Respiratoires, CHU Haut Levêque, 33604 Pessac
Rev Mal Respir 18:63-5. 2001..The patient responded to corticosteroid and anticoagulation therapy. Is this a fortuitous association? A vascular localization of sarcoidosis? Thrombosis by compression?..
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in patients with cancer, the role of 18-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography for diagnosis and monitoring treatment responseAnn Hofmeyr
Department of Infectious Diseases, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 87:459-63. 2007..PET/CT has potential for monitoring response to anti-tuberculosis treatment. Metabolic response may indicate clinical response and guide duration of anti-microbial therapy...
- Mediastinal and neck hematoma after cardiac catheterizationYeun Tarl Fresner Ng Jao
Cardiovascular Center, Tainan Municipal Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 58:467-72. 2003..This complication has only been reported once in the English literature...
- Esophago-broncho-cutaneous fistulae and tuberculous mediastinal lymphadenitisW Hajjar
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 44:151-3. 2003
- Ectopic cervical thymus: an uncommon diagnosis in the evaluation of pediatric neck massesKirby J Scott
Department of Otolaryngology, Naval Medical Center, 27 Effingham St, Portsmouth, VA 23708 5000, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:714-7. 2002..Awareness of this diagnosis will allow for appropriate preoperative diagnostic studies, which may preclude the need for biopsy...
- Tuberculosis in patients with myelodysplastic syndromesHyo Cheol Kim
Department of Radiology, Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Clinical Research Institute, Korea
Clin Radiol 57:408-14. 2002..The purpose of our study was to describe radiological manifestations of tuberculosis in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes...
- Chest computerized tomography in the evaluation of uveitis in elderly womenPeter K Kaiser
Division of Ophthalmology, Cole Eye Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 133:499-505. 2002..To describe the usefulness of chest computerized tomography (CT) in the evaluation of uveitis in elderly women and the clinical characteristics of patients with an abnormal chest CT scan...
- Mediastinal lymphoadenopathy in a patient with breast cancerGuiseppe Curigliano
Department of Medicine, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Lancet Oncol 3:174. 2002
- The coincidence of mediastinal tuberculosis lymphadenitis in lung cancer patientsO Solak
Yedikule Hospital for Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery, Department of Thoracic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 105:180-2. 2005..However, the real value of this finding needs further study...
- [An adult case of mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis]N Kanaji
Department of Internal Medicine, Kure Kyosai Hospital, 2-3-28 Nishichuo Kure, Hiroshima, 737-8505, Japan
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 39:857-61. 2001..Mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis in adults must be distinguished from other causes of mediastinal masses. In this case, mediastinoscopy was very useful for differential diagnosis...
- [Diagnostic image (71). A woman with obesity, diabetes mellitus and use of corticosteroids. Mediastinal lipomatosis]E J ter Borg
afd Reumatologie, St Antonius Ziekenhuis, Koekoekslaan 1, 3435 CM Nieuwegein
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:67. 2002..In a 69-year-old obese woman on prednisone treatment for temporal arteritis a widened mediastinum on chest X-ray proved to be mediastinal lipomatosis on CT-scan...
- FDG PET/CT demonstrated rapid progression of mediastinal lymphadenopathy in sarcoidosisCheng Yi Cheng
Tri Service General Hospital, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Nucl Med 32:117-21. 2007
- A case of anomalous subaortic left brachiocephalic vein mimicking mediastinal hematomaNaoya Yama
Department of Radiology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Trauma 58:419-20. 2005
- [Asbestosis and sarcoid-like thoracic lesions: a case report]G Duval-Morin
, C.H.U. de la Cavale Blanche
Rev Pneumol Clin 57:28-30. 2001..The patient also had an ENT neoplasia. The nodal enlargements evidenced at mediastinoscopy were the only manifestations compatible with sarcoidosis, a rare association recognized in asbestosis...
- A case of thoracic hemorrhage due to ectopic parathyroid hyperplasia with chronic renal failureTetsu Akimoto
Department of Medicine, Jichi Medical School, Minamikawachi Machi, Tochigi, Japan
Am J Kidney Dis 45:e109-14. 2005..To our knowledge, this is the first case report of secondary hyperparathyroidism with thoracic hemorrhage originating from an ectopic mediastinal parathyroid gland...
- [CT-assisted transthoracic puncture of pulmonary lesions and mediastinal infiltrations. A retrospective study of 300 patients]C P Schneider
, Zentralklinik Bad Berka
Pneumologie 53:71-6. 1999..1.6%) required drainage because of pneumothorax. On the base of our good results and the low complication rate we recommend CT-guided transthoracic aspiration biopsy with the VacuCut-needle as a useful and accurate diagnostic technique...
- The anterior mediastinum: diseasesA M Priola
S C D U Radiologia Diagnostica, Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche e Biologiche, Universita degli Studi di Torino, A S O San Luigi Gonzaga, Regione Gonzole 10, I 10043, Orbassano TO, Italy
Radiol Med 111:312-42. 2006..The objective of this review was to examine the role of diagnostic imaging in the management of masses of the anterior mediastinum...
- Role of flourine-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in thymic pathologyHatem El-Bawab
King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:731-6. 2007..To evaluate the utilization of positron emission tomography (PET) scan with fluorine-18 fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) in thymic pathology...
- A forgotten old disease: mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis in childrenR V Venkateswaran
Department of Paediatric Cardiac Surgery, Diana Princess of Wales Children s Hospital, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham B4 6NH, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:401-4. 2005..The purpose of the study was two-fold: (1) to highlight the varied presentation of mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis (MTL) in children and (2) to identify parameters, that may help in the early diagnosis of this condition...
- Chest tightness and mediastinal wideningSheng Yuan Ruan
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital Yun Lin Branch, Yun Lin, Taiwan
CMAJ 179:255-6. 2008
- Cardiac sarcoidosis underlies idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy: importance of mediastinal lymphadenopathy in differential diagnosisKaoru Otsuka
Department of Internal Medicine III, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Japan
Circ J 71:1937-41. 2007..This is a crucial issue because appropriate therapy with immunosuppressive agents can be initiated if early diagnosis is achieved...
- [Value of cytologic diagnosis in rapid intraoperative diagnosis of mediastinal lymphadenopathy and tumors of the lung and mediastinum]Zeljka Tatomirovic
Vojnomedicinska akademija, ZPSM Institut za patologiju, Beograd
Vojnosanit Pregl 59:493-7. 2002..However, imprint cytology demands an experienced cytologist and could be used only in hospitals with well organized cytologic service...
- A large mediastinal tumor with spontaneous regression 30 years after esophageal bypass surgerySteffen Frese
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Berne, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 74:1711-2. 2002..Seven days after admission a chest roentgenogram showed almost complete regression of the tumor, which was supposed to be a mucocele of the colon bypassing the esophagus...
- Diagnostic yield of mediastinal explorationWaseem Hajjar
Thoracic Surgery Division, Department of Surgery, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Med Princ Pract 11:210-3. 2002..To report our experiences of surgical diagnostic procedures in patients with unidentified mediastinal pathology...
- Imaging evaluation of pediatric mediastinal massesArie Franco
Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 43:325-53. 2005..Classification of the masses is performed according to the traditional mediastinal compartment model, consisting of the anterior, middle, and posterior mediastinum. This scheme facilitates differentiation of the variety of disorders...
- The anterior mediastinum: anatomy and imaging proceduresS M Priola
S C D U Radiologia Diagnostica, Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche e Biologiche, Universita degli Studi di Torino, A S O San Luigi Gonzaga, Regione Gonzole 10, I 10043, Orbassano TO, Italy
Radiol Med 111:295-311. 2006..The role of fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) in mediastinal diseases continues to be evaluated: it has potential for differentiating between benign and malignant disease and is ..
- Role of fluorine-flurodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography in preoperative assessment of anterior mediastinal massesLuca Luzzi
Thoracic Surgery Unit, S Croce e Carle Hospital, Cuneo, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 36:475-9. 2009....
- [Ultrasonography in diagnosis of thoracic diseases]Ruza Stevic
Medicinski fakultet Beograd
Med Pregl 63:86-90. 2010..Ultrasonography can define the origin and structure of the lesion of thoracic wall, pleural and peripheral lung lesions and mediastinal lesions...
- State of the art in thoracospic surgery: a personal experience of 2000 videothoracoscopic procedures and an overview of the literatureG C Roviaro
Department of Surgery, S Giuseppe Hospital Fbf, A Fa R, University of Milan, 12 Via San Vittore, 20123 Milan, Italy
Surg Endosc 16:881-92. 2002....
- The retrotracheal space: normal anatomic and pathologic appearancesTomas Franquet
Department of Radiology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Avda Sant Antoni M Claret 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
Radiographics 22:S231-46. 2002..b>Mediastinal diseases in the retrotracheal space typically manifest radiographically as a contour abnormality or an area of ..
- Spontaneous esophageal injury: esophageal intramural hematomaYu Hui Chiu
Department of Emergency Medicine, Taipei Medical University Wan Fang Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 72:498-500. 2009..a useful noninvasive imaging modality for accurate diagnosis of these spontaneous intramural and transmural ruptures of the esophagus, and aids in the differential diagnosis of aortic and other mediastinal diseases with acute chest pain.
- Not just another sore throatKaren Broadbent
Emergency Department, Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia
Aust Fam Physician 40:605-6. 2011..The pain commenced about lunchtime, after he had been mixing concrete powder, and since then had been intermittent and was becoming more severe...
- Immediate surgical rescue for mediastinal compression by giant metastatic lung tumorK Yamamoto
Division of Respiratory Disease, Matsue Red Cross Hospital, 200 Horomachi, Matsue, Shimane 690-0886, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 49:519-21. 2001..Palliative surgical rescue can relieve the symptoms immediately and improve the general condition dramatically. We think that surgical rescue is worthwhile, especially for younger patients...
- [The clinical application of videomediastinoscopy combined with the examination of CD(4)/CD(8) in the diagnosis of mediastinal tuberculosis and sarcoidosis]Zhong min Peng
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Shandong Provincial Hospital, Ji nan 250021, China
Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 30:595-8. 2007..To evaluate the role of videomediastinoscopy combined with the examination of CD(4)/CD(8) in the diagnosis of tuberculosis and sarcoidosis of the mediastinum...
- Multiple thoracic osteophytes presenting as mediastinal massAnnemarie Sykes
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, White City, London W120HS, UK
Thorax 62:192. 2007
- [Brown bone tumors as a manifestation of primary hyperparathyroidism]L Ayllón
Servicio Medicina Nuclear, Hospital Universitario Puerta de Hierro, Madrid, Espana
Rev Esp Med Nucl 26:308-9. 2007
- Training for linear endobronchial ultrasound among US pulmonary/critical care fellowships: a survey of fellowship directorsNichole T Tanner
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Allergy and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Chest 143:423-8. 2013..It has been shown to be safe, minimally invasive, and highly accurate in the staging and diagnosing of mediastinal diseases. A prior survey of pulmonary fellowship program directors conducted in 2004 showed that only 2% of programs ..
- [Bronchopulmonary sarcoidosis. Brief review and description of 8 cases]H Cambursano
Hospital Rawson, Cordoba, Argentina
Rev Fac Cien Med Univ Nac Cordoba 63:24-35. 2006....
- B-cell lymphoma, unclassifiable, with features intermediate between diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and classical Hodgkin lymphoma without mediastinal disease: mimicking nodular sclerosis classical Hodgkin lymphomaNoriko Iwaki
Department of Pathology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama, 700 8558, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 46:172-6. 2013..Some cases without mediastinal disease, such as our case, have been reported; however, these cases are rare and further studies are required. ..
- Ectopic mediastinal parathyroid carcinoma presenting as acute pancreatitisChih Wei Tseng
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Buddhist Dalin Tzu Chi General Hospital, Chiayi, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 76:108-11. 2013..The tumor was completely removed via a lower cervical collar incision. The histopathology revealed parathyroid carcinoma. There was no tumor recurrence or abdominal symptoms at 3-year follow-up...
- Linear probe endobronchial ultrasound bronchoscopy with guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) in the evaluation of mediastinal and hilar pathology: introducing the procedure to a teaching institutionMuhanned Abu-Hijleh
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center UTSW, Dallas, TX, USA
Lung 191:109-15. 2013..We describe our experience with EBUS-TBNA performed in a teaching institution primarily under conscious sedation...
- Comparative cost analysis of endobronchial ultrasound-guided and blind TBNA in the evaluation of hilar and mediastinal lymphadenopathyDaniel A Grove
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care, Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 19:182-7. 2012....
- Cervical mediastinoscopy: re-evaluation of an old technique in era of new imaging technologyA Chauhan
Department of Surgical Oncology, Army Hospital R and R, New Delhi, India
Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 54:169-73. 2012With the advent of modern anatomical and functional imaging technologies, application of cervical mediastinoscopy has decreased in diagnosis and staging of mediastinal diseases.
- Ectopic pancreas tissue appearing in a mediastinal cystSandor Szabados
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary
J Cardiothorac Surg 7:22. 2012..After the operation a mediastinal cyst was diagnosed, with a pancreatic tissue by histology...
- Comparative study of thin sectional anatomical images from Chinese visible human data set and computed tomography images of superior mediastinumYi Wu
Department of Human Anatomy, Institute of Basic Medical Science, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Clin Anat 25:1051-61. 2012....
- Endoscopic laser fragmentation and removal of a nonremovable metal esophageal stent for persistent dysphagia: a technical noteRoss S Coomber
Department of Upper GI Surgery, West Herts NHS Trust, Watford General Hospital, Vicarage Road, Watford WD18 0HB, UK
Surg Endosc 26:1791-3. 2012..Self-expanding metal stents are widely used in the palliation of esophageal diseases (Todd, N Engl J Med 344(22):1681-1687, 2001). The majority are inserted for end-stage malignancy and are not designed to be removed...
- Mediastinal haematoma: a rare complication following insertion of central venous catheterPankaj Gupta
Department of Surgical Disciplines, All India Institute of Medical Sciences AIIMS, New Delhi, India
Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 53:225-8. 2011..This case is being reported to signify the importance of routine obtaining a post-procedure chest radiograph and to state that even large mediastinal haematoma can be managed conservatively in asymptomatic patients...
- Boerhaave's syndrome: a differential diagnosis of acute chest pain following a vomiting illnessS Sanka
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
West Indian Med J 62:152-3. 2013..We describe an unusual case of a 12-year old boy without significant past medical history presenting with acute chest pain following gastroenteritis...
- Endoscopic ultrasound guided aspiration cytology--a useful diagnostic toolNadira Mamoon
Department of Histopathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rawalpindi
J Pak Med Assoc 61:367-71. 2011..To evaluate the diagnostic utility of endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of mediastinal and abdominal lesions...
- "Atypical steroid response" in a pulmonary inflammatory myofibroblastic tumorOliviero Sacco
Giannina Gaslini Research Institute, Genova, Italy
Pediatr Pulmonol 45:721-6. 2010..At thoracotomy, a well-circumscribed, multilobulated mass was partially resected and a diagnosis of IMT confirmed. Immunosuppression by corticosteroids may have favored the rapid progression of this apparently benign, indolent tumor...
- [A case of miliary tuberculosis and esophageal perforation secondary to tuberculous mediastinal lymphadenitis]Shigenori Ishikawa
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, National Hospital Organization Matsue National Hospital, 5 8 31, Agenogi, Matsue shi, Shimane 690 8556 Japan
Kekkaku 84:159-64. 2009..We report this case as a rare case of miliary tuberculosis and esophageal perforation secondary to tuberculous mediastinal lymphadenitis...
- Improvement after angioplasty and stenting of pulmonary arteries due to sarcoid mediastinal fibrosisC R Hamilton-Craig
Department of Cardiology, The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Heart Lung Circ 18:222-5. 2009..This highlights the value of new imaging modalities in delineating causes of pulmonary hypertension, and demonstrates an interventional approach for selected cases...
- Cardiac tamponade via a fistula to the pericardium from a hydatid cyst: case report and review of the literatureAhmet Demircan
Department of Emergency Medicine, Gazi University Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Emerg Med 38:582-6. 2010..A final diagnosis of mediastinal hydatic cyst was made, and a 4-week course of albendazol was given. Then the cyst was surgically excised, and the patient recovered without complications...
- Thoracoscopic removal of mediastinal hyperfunctioning parathyroid glands: personal experience and review of the literatureP F Alesina
Clinic of Surgery and Centre of Minimally Invasive Surgery, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Evang Huyssens Stiftung, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Duisburg Essen, Henricistrasse 92, D 45136, Essen, Germany
World J Surg 32:224-31. 2008..The presence of a mediastinal hyperfunctioning parathyroid gland is a rare condition that occurs in about 1% to 2% of cases. We present our experience with video-endoscopic parathyroidectomy and a review of the literature...
- [A case of ruptured bronchial artery aneurysm with hemothorax and mediastinal hematoma]Rinko Katsuda
Department of Respiratory Medicine, National Hospital Organization Himeji Medical Center
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 47:895-9. 2009..Since a rupture of the bronchial artery could be life-threatening, a ruptured bronchial artery aneurysm should be considered as one of the differential diagnoses of hemothorax...
- Transbronchial needle aspiration with rapid on-site evaluation: a prospective study on efficacy, feasibility and cost effectivenessGirish Sindhwani
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Himalayan Institute of Medical Sciences, HIHT University, Dehradun Uttarakhand, India
Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 55:141-4. 2013..There is paucity of data from India showing efficacy and cost-effectiveness of ROSE. Hence, this study was carried out to assess the efficacy, feasibility and cost implications of ROSE assisted TBNA...
- Cholesterol granuloma of the superior mediastinumHeyman Luckraz
Cardiothoracic Unit, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 81:1509-10. 2006..This more commonly affects the sinuses with no previous report in the mediastinal region. We describe such a case in a cardiac surgical patient with an incidental finding of testicular lumps...
- Tubercular mediastinal lymphadenopathy presenting as superior vena cava syndromeS K Bandyopadhyay
Department of Medicine, Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research IPGMER, Kolkata
J Assoc Physicians India 50:1194-5. 2002
- A painful and swollen right breast in a young maleG E Kapotsis
Dept of Critical Care and Pulmonary Services, 45 47 Ipsilantou Street, Evangelismos Hospital, Athens, GR 10675, Greece
Eur Respir J 24:1066-8. 2004
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 12-2005. A 30-year-old woman with a mediastinal massMargaret A Shipp
Division of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1697-704. 2005
- [79-year old woman with heart failure and mediastinal widening]A Moreno Pena
Servicio de Medicina Interna Hospital Universitario Arnau de Vilanova Lérida Spain
Rev Clin Esp 202:289-90. 2002
- Mechanisms of Scar-Free Healing in the Fetal ArteryDARRELL CASS; Fiscal Year: 2008..His long term objective is to apply this knowledge clinically in both children and adults to limit vascular inflammation, neointimal hyperplasia and scarring. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Transfer of the CD40 ligand gene to esophageal carcinomaRobert Korst; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will help determine if intratumoral administration of the AdCUCD40L vector is safe, and evokes sufficient DC-related host responses to warrant further studies in esophageal cancer. ..