Genomes and Genes
Summary: Abnormal passage between the ESOPHAGUS and the TRACHEA, acquired or congenital, often associated with ESOPHAGEAL ATRESIA.
Publications217 found, 100 shown here
- Endoscopic obliteration of a recurrent tracheoesophageal fistula with enbucrilate and polidocanol in a childM F Lopes
Department of Surgery, Pediatric Hospital of Coimbra CHC, 3000 Coimbra, Portugal
Surg Endosc 17:657. 2003We present a difficult case of a recurrent tracheoesophageal fistula following primary surgical repair of esophageal atresia...
- Tracheoesophageal fistulaMichael F Reed
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, 231 Albert B Sabin Way, P O Box 670558, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0558, USA
Chest Surg Clin N Am 13:271-89. 2003....
- Triple fistula: management of a double tracheoesophageal fistula with a third H-type proximal fistulaTimothy D Kane
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2583, USA
J Pediatr Surg 42:E1-3. 2007Esophageal atresia (EA) with or without tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) is a relatively common congenital condition in which there have been several described anatomical variants...
- Early repair of acquired tracheoesophageal fistulaChou Ming Yeh
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 16:318-20. 2008We report early direct repair of a cuff-related tracheoesophageal fistula in a 30-year-old alcoholic man with diabetic ketoacidosis who fell unconscious and was ventilated via an endotracheal tube...
- Prenatal diagnosis of type 1 tracheal agenesis without tracheoesophageal fistulaQi Chang Zhou
Department of Ultrasonography, The Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, China
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 35:364-7. 2009..We report the ultrasonographic and autopsy findings and review the literature on this rare condition to contribute to the understanding of type 1 tracheal agenesis without tracheoesophageal fistula.
- Syndrome of microcephaly, mental retardation, and tracheoesophageal fistula associated with features of Rett syndromeA K Shetty
Department of Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Medical Center and Children s Hospital, New Orleans, USA
J Child Neurol 15:61-3. 2000We report a 12-year-old girl with features of the syndrome of microcephaly, mesobrachydactyly, and tracheoesophageal fistula, who also developed distinctive features of Rett syndrome including regression of milestones with repetitive ..
- Identification of a HOXD13 mutation in a VACTERL patientMaria Mercè Garcia-Barceló
Department of Surgery, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Am J Med Genet A 146:3181-5. 2008..It is comprised of vertebral defects (V), anal atresia (A), cardiac anomaly (C), tracheoesophageal fistula with esophageal atresia (TE), renal dysplasia (R) and limb lesions (L)...
- VATER non-random association of congenital malformations: study based on data from four malformation registersK Kallen
Tornblad Institute, University of Lund, Biskopsgatan 7, 223 62 Lund, Sweden
Am J Med Genet 101:26-32. 2001..In the search for risk factors, a strict definition of the VATER association is needed in order to not dilute the study material with irrelevant cases. The present study provides such strict inclusion criteria...
- Outcomes in esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistulaDavid E Konkin
Department of Surgery, British Columbia s Children s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Pediatr Surg 38:1726-9. 2003The purpose of this analysis was to investigate outcomes in newborns with esophageal atresia (EA) or tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) with respect to prognostic classifications and complications.
- Genetic and environmental factors in the etiology of esophageal atresia and/or tracheoesophageal fistula: an overview of the current conceptsJanine F Felix
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, 3000 CB Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:747-54. 2009Esophageal atresia and/or tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF) are severe congenital anomalies. Although recent years have brought significant improvement in clinical treatment, our understanding of the etiology of these defects is lagging...
- Repair of massive stent-induced tracheoesophageal fistulaYong Han
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Tangdu Hospital of the Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, China
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:813-7. 2009The purpose of this report was to discuss a new surgical procedure in treating esophageal stent related large tracheoesophageal fistula without tracheal resection.
- Tracheoesophageal fistula without esophageal atresia: are pull-back tube esophagograms needed for diagnosis?Eoghan E Laffan
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, 555 University Ave, Toronto, M5G 1X8, Canada
Pediatr Radiol 36:1141-7. 2006..is widely accepted in the literature as the radiological investigation of choice for the diagnosis of tracheoesophageal fistula without esophageal atresia...
- Surgical treatment of nonmalignant tracheoesophageal fistula: a thirty-five year experienceAshok Muniappan
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 95:1141-6. 2013Acquired nonmalignant tracheoesophageal fistula in the adult patient develops in a variety of conditions. We have applied surgical closure with success for 35 years.
- Diagnostic difficulties in the management of H-type tracheoesophageal fistulaJ Ng
Pediatric Surgical Unit and Department of Radiology, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Western Bank, Sheffield, UK
Acta Radiol 47:801-5. 2006To evaluate the diagnostic difficulties and pitfalls in establishing the diagnosis of congenital H-type tracheoesophageal fistula.
- Role of preoperative 3D CT reconstruction for evaluation of patients with esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistulaSantosh Kumar Mahalik
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Advanced Pediatric Center, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Pediatr Surg Int 28:961-6. 2012The role of preoperative contrast-enhanced computerized tomography (CT) of chest with three-dimensional (3D) reconstructions was evaluated in neonates with esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula.
- Treatment of tracheoesophageal fistula in a child by using an endoscopic suturing deviceRodolfo Rocca
Gastroenterology Department, Ospedale Infantile Regina Margherita, Torino, Italy
Gastrointest Endosc 65:932-5. 2007
- Thoracoscopic repair of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula: lessons learnedThang Nguyen
Department of Surgery, University of California at Irvine, Orange, California, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 16:174-8. 2006Repair of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula has traditionally been performed via thoracotomy. This study aims to evaluate the feasibility and pitfalls of the thoracoscopic approach.
- Tracheoesophageal fistula after primary repair of type C esophageal atresia in the neonatal period: recurrent or missed second congenital fistulaWeihong Guo
Department of Surgery, Beijing Children s Hospital Affiliated to Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100045, People s Republic of China
J Pediatr Surg 45:2351-5. 2010The aim of the study is to investigate whether a tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) found after the primary repair of type C esophageal atresia (EA) is a recannulation of the original fistula, a missed proximal fistula, or other rare ..
- Pre- and postnatal diagnosis and outcome of fetuses and neonates with esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistulaE M de Jong
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Prenat Diagn 30:274-9. 2010..However, most often EA is diagnosed postnatally. The aim of our study is to evaluate the course and outcome for prenatally and postnatally diagnosed EA. In addition, we studied the outcome of isolated versus nonisolated EA...
- Anesthetic considerations for the neonate with tracheoesophageal fistulaJulie A Gayle
Department of Anesthesiology, Tulane Medical Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 19:1241-54. 2008b>Tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) and associated esophageal atresia (EA) in the neonate, presents during the first week of life. This congenital defect can be complicated by aspiration, respiratory distress, and other congenital anomalies...
- Lung torsion after tracheoesophageal fistula repair: a case report and review of literatureCarol Oliveira
Division of General Surgery, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr Surg 42:E5-9. 2007..We present the first case report of lung torsion complicating tracheoesophageal fistula repair...
- Esophageal atresia surgery in the 21st centuryGordon A MacKinlay
The Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Semin Pediatr Surg 18:20-2. 2009..Thoracoscopic repair of oesophageal atresia is feasible and the long term outcome appears favorable...
- What is the incidence of Barrett's and gastric metaplasia in esophageal atresia/tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF) patients?S C Burjonrappa
New York Medical College, Pediatric Surgery, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Eur J Pediatr Surg 21:25-9. 2011....
- Management of acquired tracheoesophageal fistula with various clinical presentationsSule Yalcin
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 46:1887-92. 2011..To determine the best therapeutic approach for acquired tracheoesophageal fistulae in childhood by evaluation of distinct clinical presentations requiring different surgical management based on our clinical experience...
- Anesthetic management of acquired tracheoesophageal fistula: a brief reportB Robins
Department of Anesthesiology, Doernbecher Children s Hospital, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97201 3098, USA
Anesth Analg 93:903-5, table of contents. 2001b>Tracheoesophageal fistula may be either a congenital lesion or an acquired condition, most often resulting from foreign body ingestion...
- Thoracic actinomycosis presented with tracheoesophageal fistula and fatal pulmonary infectionSaleh M Aldaqal
Department of Surgery, King Abdul Aziz University Hospital, Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 25:1471-3. 2004We report a case of a 60-year-old Saudi woman who developed tracheoesophageal fistula and fatal pulmonary infection secondary to thoracic actinomycosis...
- Tracheoesophageal fistula managed with tracheal stent through flexible bronchoscopy without fluoroscopyG Stratakos
Critical Care and Pulmonary Medicine Division, University of Athens, Greece
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 65:225-7. 2006Inoperable malignant tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) is characterised by an extremely poor prognosis. Tracheal or double (tracheal-esophageal) stenting through rigid bronchoscopy has been suggested as a valuable therapeutic option...
- A novel technique for risk calculation of anastomotic leakage after thoracoscopic repair for esophageal atresia with distal fistulaDavid C van der Zee
Department of Pediatric Surgery KE 04 140 5, University Medical Center, 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
World J Surg 32:1396-9. 2008..This study was designed to determine the risk of anastomotic leakage after thoracoscopic repair for esophageal atresia by digitally measuring the length of the proximal esophagus and distance of carina to proximal esophagus...
- A case of Hodgkin's disease presenting with recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy and tracheoesophageal fistulaA Munshi
Department of Radiotherapy, Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital IRCH, All India Institute of Medical Sciences AIIMS Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Med J Malaysia 61:97-9. 2006..Hodgkins disease rarely leads to such a fistula. We report a case of Hodgkin's disease with a tracheoesophageal fistula as well as a left recurrent nerve palsy at presentation...
- Perioperative outcome of patients with esophageal atresia and tracheo-esophageal fistula undergoing open versus thoracoscopic surgeryPhilipp O Szavay
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Children s Hospital, Tuebingen, Germany
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 21:439-43. 2011..The aim of our investigation was to clearly define perioperative outcome and complication rates in children undergoing thoracoscopic versus open surgery for EA and TEF repair...
- Thoracoscopic repair of tracheoesophageal fistula in newbornsSteven S Rothenberg
Hospital for Infants and Children at Presbetyrian St Lukes, Denver, CO, USA
J Pediatr Surg 37:869-72. 2002..Advancements in minimally invasive surgery in neonates have allowed even the most complex neonatal procedures to be approached using these techniques...
- Thoracoscopic versus open repair of tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal atresiaBrian Lugo
Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 18:753-6. 2008Recent studies show the minimally invasive approach to the repair of esophageal atresia (EA) and tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) is feasible. This study aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of the thoracoscopic versus open techniques.
- Thoracoscopic repair of tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal atresiaDariusz Patkowsk
Department of Paediatric Surgery and Urology, Medical University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 19:S19-22. 2009To evaluate the safety and efficacy of the thoracoscopic repair of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF).
- Role of reflux in tracheoesophageal fistula problems after laryngectomyKai J Lorenz
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, German Armed Forces Hospital of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 119:719-28. 2010....
- Successful early repair of a traumatic tracheoesophageal fistula after blunt chest traumaJames M O'Riordan
Department of Surgery, Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown, Dublin, Ireland
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:1495-6. 2006
- Congenital tracheoesophageal fistula without esophageal atresiaE Genty
Service d Oto Rhino Laryngologie et Chirurgie Cervico Faciale, CHU Bicetre, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 48:231-8. 1999The authors report a series of eight cases of isolated tracheoesophageal fistula without esophageal atresia (or an H type fistula), treated in three pediatric ENT departments...
- Difficulty assessing endotracheal tube placement in a patient with undiagnosed iatrogenic tracheoesophageal fistulaHugh M Smith
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 20:223-4. 2006
- Tracheoesophageal fistula formation in patients with lung cancer treated with chemoradiation and bevacizumabDavid R Spigel
Sarah Cannon Research Institute, 250 25th Avenue North, Suite 110, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:43-8. 2010..agents in cancer treatment such as bevacizumab potentially impact wound healing and may contribute to tracheoesophageal fistula development...
- Oesophageal atresiaLewis Spitz
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Institute of Child Health, University College, London, UK
Orphanet J Rare Dis 2:24. 2007..Infants weighing over 1500 g and having no major cardiac problem should have a near 100% survival, while the presence of one of the risk factors reduces survival to 80% and further to 30-50% in the presence of both risk factors...
- Follow-up after stent insertion in the tracheobronchial tree: role of helical computed tomography in comparison with fiberoptic bronchoscopyG R Ferretti
Service Central de Radiologie et Imagerie Medicale, INSERM EMI 9924, CHU, BP 217, 38043, Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Eur Radiol 13:1172-8. 2003..008). Computed tomography is an accurate noninvasive method for evaluating endobronchial stents. The CT is a useful technique for follow-up of patients who have undergone endobronchial stenting...
- The role of prophylactic chest drainage in the operative management of esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistulaSaeid Aslanabadi
Pediatrics Research Center, Children Hospital, Tabriz University Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Pediatr Surg Int 25:365-8. 2009..Controversies exist regarding the efficacy of prophylactic extrapleural chest tube (EPCT) drainage in patients who have undergone repair of esophageal atresia...
- Closure of a benign tracheoesophageal fistula by using a coated, self-expanding plastic stent in a patient with a history of esophageal atresiaDouglas G Adler
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Houston Health Science Center, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 61:765-8. 2005
- Early and long term outcome in children with esophageal atresia treated over the last 22 yearsM Lacher
Pediatric Surgical Clinic, Dr von Haunersches Kinderspital, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munchen, Germany
Klin Padiatr 222:296-301. 2010..The survival of infants born with esophageal atresia (EA) is > 90% at present. The purpose of this study was to evaluate early complications and long term outcome in children with EA treated at our institution...
- Long-term complications of congenital esophageal atresia and/or tracheoesophageal fistulaThomas Kovesi
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, 401 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Chest 126:915-25. 2004Congenital esophageal atresia (EA) and/or tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) are common congenital anomalies. Respiratory and GI complications occur frequently, and may persist lifelong...
- Double stenting for esophageal and tracheobronchial stenosesH Nomori
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Saiseikai Central Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 70:1803-7. 2000..We examined the complications and outcomes of placing stents for both esophageal and tracheobronchial stenoses...
- Extrapleural thoracoscopic repair of esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistulaKuoJen Tsao
Fetal Treatment Center, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, HSW 1601, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Pediatr Surg Int 21:308-10. 2005Traditionally, open repair of esophageal atresia (EA) with tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) required thoracotomy. Innovations in minimal access surgery have created a thoracoscopic technique resulting in violation of the pleural space...
- Endoscopic stenting of esophageal cancer: the clinical impactRahul A Nathwani
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 23:535-8. 2007..To summarize the most relevant articles with regard to endoscopic stenting of esophageal cancer published in 2006...
- Longitudinal follow-up of bronchial inflammation, respiratory symptoms, and pulmonary function in adolescents after repair of esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistulaKristiina Malmström
From the Department of Allergy, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
J Pediatr 153:396-401. 2008To characterize symptoms, pulmonary function tests (PFT) and bronchial responsiveness (BR) in adolescents after repaired esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistula and correlate these with endobronchial biopsy findings.
- The effect of a right-sided aortic arch on outcome in children with esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistulaSteven R Allen
Division of Pediatric and Thoracic Surgery, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:479-83. 2006During repair of an esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF), a right-sided aortic arch (RAA) presents a technical challenge. We reviewed our experience with EA/TEF focusing on the impact of RAA.
- Bronchial anomalies in VACTERL associationAdaobi Kanu
Department of Pediatrics, Texas Tech University, HSC, Lubbock, Texas, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 43:930-2. 2008..We report another infant with VACTERL presenting with respiratory complications due to presence of tracheal bronchus. She also had a narrowed segment of her right main stem bronchus...
- Phenotypic presentation and outcome of esophageal atresia in the era of the Spitz classificationC P Driver
Department of Paediatric Surgery and Institute of Child Health, Alder Hey Children's Hospital, The University of Liverpool, UK
J Pediatr Surg 36:1419-21. 2001..contemporary patterns of presentation and outcome in newborns with esophageal atresia with or without tracheoesophageal fistula (OA) using modern prognostic criteria to appraise survival...
- Proposal of a novel method to evaluate anastomotic tension in esophageal atresia with a distal tracheoesophageal fistulaMasahiro Nagaya
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Central Hospital, Aichi Prefectural Colony, 713 8 Kamiya, Kasugai, 480 0392 Aichi, Japan
Pediatr Surg Int 21:780-5. 2005..usually evaluated using gap length before anastomosis in patients with esophageal atresia and a distal tracheoesophageal fistula (EA with a TEF)...
- Dorsoventral patterning in oesophageal atresia with tracheo-oesophageal fistula: Evidence from a new mouse modelAdonis S Ioannides
J Pediatr Surg 37:185-91. 2002..1 (Ttf 1), lead to OA/TOF. The authors aimed to integrate the 2 systems by adapting the Adriamycin model to the mouse to study molecular aspects of tracheo-oesophageal development...
- Tracheoesophageal fistula and tracheo-subclavian artery fistula after tracheostomyJung Jyh Hung
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 32:676-8. 2007b>Tracheoesophageal fistula and tracheo-arterial fistula are both uncommon but life-threatening complications after a tracheostomy. The most common source of a major hemorrhage is from the tracheo-innominate artery fistula...
- Azygos vein anomaly: the best predictor of a long gap in esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistulaD K Gupta
Department of Pediatric Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi-110029, India
Pediatr Surg Int 17:101-3. 2001..at the anastomosis that ultimately determines the anastomotic leak in esophageal atresia with or without tracheoesophageal fistula (EA-TEF). Long-gap EA has been reported to be associated with aortic-arch anomalies and 13 pairs of ribs...
- Genetic players in esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistulaHan G Brunner
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Department of Human Genetics 417, Geert Grooteplein 20, 6525GA Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Genet Dev 15:341-7. 2005..NMYC and SOX2 are transcription factors, whereas CHD7 is encoded by a chromodomain helicase DNA-binding gene, important for chromatin structure and gene expression. These new genes broaden our view of human foregut development...
- Right esophageal lung in a preterm child with VACTERL association and Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndromeF Linke
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Johannes Gutenberg University, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Pediatr Surg Int 21:285-8. 2005..The stepwise approach as proposed in the present case appears to be the only possible therapeutic regimen that can be offered in this complicated condition...
- Role of fibrin glue as a sealant to esophageal anastomosis in cases of congenital esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistulaVijai D Upadhyaya
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Lanka, Varanasi, UP, India
World J Surg 31:2412-5. 2007..a successful approach for the management of infants with long-gap esophageal atresia (EA) with tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF)...
- Endoscopic management of recurrent tracheoesophageal fistulaGresham T Richter
Department of Pediatric Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45208, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:238-45. 2008..By examining a single institution's experience and performing a systematic review of previously published results, we aimed to identify an optimal approach to managing RTEF endoscopically...
- Chromosomal anomalies in the aetiology of oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistulaJanine F Felix
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Med Genet 50:163-75. 2007..This paper reviews the chromosomal abnormalities reported in cases of OA/TOF and serves as a starting point to identify chromosomal regions harbouring genes involved in the aetiology of OA/TOF...
- Esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistula: ten years of experience in an instituteChia Feng Yang
Department of Pediatrics, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 69:317-21. 2006Esophageal atresia (EA), tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF), or both is a complicated problem. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the outcomes and postoperative complications in patients with EA/TEF who were admitted to our hospital.
- Etiology of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula: "mind the gap"Elisabeth M de Jong
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, PO Box 2060, 3000 CB, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 12:215-22. 2010Esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF) are major congenital malformations affecting 1:3500 live births. Current research efforts are focused on understanding the etiology of these defects...
- Non-VACTERL-type anomalies are frequent in patients with esophageal atresia/tracheo-esophageal fistula and full or partial VACTERL associationElisabeth M de Jong
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82:92-7. 2008..The full phenotype of patients with EA/TEF and other anomalies of the VACTERL spectrum of defects association is not well described in the literature...
- Report of a girl with vacterl syndrome and right pulmonary agenesisS Avcu
Department of Radiology, University of Yuziancl Yil, School of Medicine, Van, Turkey
Genet Couns 20:379-83. 2009..In the present patient right pulmonary agenesis is co-occurring with VACTERL syndrome. We report on this case because the association of right pulmonary agenesis and VACTERL syndrome is rare...
- Prognosis of congenital tracheoesophageal fistula with esophageal atresia on the basis of gap lengthVijay D Upadhyaya
Department of Pediatric Surgery, IMS, BHU, Varanasi 221005, Uttar Pradesh, India
Pediatr Surg Int 23:767-71. 2007Congenital tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) with esophageal atresia (EA) is not an uncommon disease of newborns...
- Adults with VATER association: long-term prognosisPatricia G Wheeler
Division of Genetics Metabolism, Nemours Children s Clinic, Orlando, FL 32806, USA
Am J Med Genet A 138:212-7. 2005..In two women, the infertility was thought to be related to congenital anomalies of the genitourinary system and multiple pelvic operations. We also present the long-term medical and neurologic problems in these individuals...
- Tracheoesophageal fistula caused by a self-expanding esophageal stentC G Schowengerdt
Genesis HealthCare System, Zanesville, Ohio, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 67:830-1. 1999..After multiple dilatations, a self-expanding metal stent was placed. Four months later the upper edge of the stent eroded through the esophagus into the trachea, forming a tracheoesophageal fistula. Muscle flap repair was successful.
- Endoscopic treatment of congenital H-Type and recurrent tracheoesophageal fistula with electrocautery and histoacryl glueK T Tzifa
Department of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5G 1X8
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:925-30. 2006..The aim of this paper is to present the experience of a decade at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, using diathermy and histoacryl tissue adhesive and discuss the indications and limitations of this technique...
- Tracheoesophageal fistula: case report and review of literatureP Pelc
ENT Department, CHU Brugmann
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 55:273-8. 2001..postoperative dysphagia and food inhalations complicated by recurrent pulmonary infections, due to a tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) is reported...
- Use of the ProSeal laryngeal mask airway in an infant with a repaired H-type tracheoesophageal fistula and tracheomalaciaPatrick N Olomu
Methodist Children s Hospital, San Antonio, TX, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 18:74-6. 2008..the anesthesia management of an infant with an esophagocutaneous fistula following repair of an H-type tracheoesophageal fistula and tracheomalacia, in which avoidance of tracheal intubation was desired...
- Oesophageal atresia, tracheo-oesophageal fistula, and the VACTERL association: review of genetics and epidemiologyC Shaw-Smith
Department of Medical Genetics, Box 134, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
J Med Genet 43:545-54. 2006..This paper reviews current knowledge of the genetics and epidemiology of the different oesophageal atresia/tracheo-oesophageal fistula syndromes and associations...
- The structural characteristics and expression of neuropeptides in the esophagus of patients with congenital esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistulaKai Li
Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital, Medical Center of Fudan University Former Shanghai Medical University, Shanghai 200032, PR China
J Pediatr Surg 42:1433-8. 2007..of a group of neuropeptides in the esophagus of patients with congenital esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula (EA-TEF), as well to elucidate the roles of these neuropeptides in the pathogenesis of postoperative ..
- The use of biosynthetic mesh to separate the anastomoses during the thoracoscopic repair of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistulaShawn D St Peter
Department of Surgery, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:380-2. 2007Recurrent tracheoesophageal fistula following the repair of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF) is a difficult complication to manage, which makes prevention the dominant concern of surgeons performing the primary ..
- Reduced neuronal innervation in the distal end of the proximal esophageal atretic segment in cases of esophageal atresia with distal tracheoesophageal fistulaMehmet Boleken
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Harran University, Sanliurfa 3300, Turkey
World J Surg 31:1512-7. 2007..dysmotility is a common occurence after surgical repair of proximal esophageal atresia (EA) and distal tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF). The etiology of this motility disorder, however, remains controversial...
- Multiple dose-dependent roles for Sox2 in the patterning and differentiation of anterior foregut endodermJianwen Que
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 134:2521-31. 2007..anopthalmia-esophageal-genital syndrome (OMIM 600992), a condition including esophageal atresia (EA) and tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF), in which the trachea and esophagus fail to separate...
- Analysis of the development of normal foregut and tracheoesophageal fistula in an adriamycin rat model using three-dimensional image reconstructionT Sasaki
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Osaka University Medical School, Suita City, Japan
Surg Today 31:133-9. 2001..the developmental process of the normal trachea and esophagus and their maldevelopment leading to tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF), we performed three-dimensional (3-D) image reconstruction of the developing foregut in normal and ..
- Long-term assessment of the treatment of recurrent tracheoesophageal fistula with fibrin glue associated with diathermyCarlos Gutiérrez San Román
Hospital Materno Infantil La Fe, Avda Campanar 21 46009, Valencia, Spain
J Pediatr Surg 41:1870-3. 2006Recurrent tracheoesophageal fistula (RTF) is a serious common complication of the surgical treatment of esophageal atresia...
- Successful endoscopical sealing of malignant esophageotracheal fistulae by using a covered self-expandable stenting systemF Tomaselli
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic and Hyperbaric Surgery, University Medical School of Graz, Graz, Austria
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 20:734-8. 2001..In a prospective study we investigated benefits and risks of the use of one type of coated, self-expandable stent...
- Thoracoscopic repair of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula: a multi-institutional analysisGeorge W Holcomb
Department of Surgery, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Ann Surg 242:422-8; discussion 428-30. 2005For the past 60 years, successful repair of esophageal atresia (EA) and distal tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) has been performed via a thoracotomy...
- Esophagorespiratory fistula: long-term results of palliative treatment with covered expandable metallic stents in 61 patientsJi Hoon Shin
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1 Poongnap dong, Songpa Ku, Seoul 138 736, Korea
Radiology 232:252-9. 2004..To evaluate long-term clinical results of palliative treatment of esophagorespiratory fistulas (ERFs) with covered expandable metallic stents...
- Should chromosome breakage studies be performed in patients with VACTERL association?Laurence Faivre
Centre de Genetique, Hôpital d Enfants, Dijon, France
Am J Med Genet A 137:55-8. 2005..of the following cardinal features: vertebral anomalies, anal atresia, cardiovascular malformations, tracheoesophageal fistula, renal and limb anomalies, and is postulated to be a very heterogeneous disorder...
- Defective sonic hedgehog signaling in esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistulaTroy L Spilde
Laboratory for Surgical Organogenesis, The Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Surgery 134:345-50. 2003The pathogenesis of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF) remains unknown...
- Genetics and developmental biology of oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistula: lessons from mice relevant for paediatric surgeonsJ F Felix
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Surg Int 20:731-6. 2004..After that, we describe the genes that have been demonstrated to play an important role in these processes...
- An overview of isolated and syndromic oesophageal atresiaD Genevieve
Département de Génétique et unité INSERM U 781, Paris, France
Clin Genet 71:392-9. 2007....
- Genetic factors in esophageal atresia, tracheo-esophageal fistula and the VACTERL association: roles for FOXF1 and the 16q24.1 FOX transcription factor gene cluster, and review of the literatureCharles Shaw-Smith
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK
Eur J Med Genet 53:6-13. 2010..This article reviews these new data alongside other genetic causes of syndromic esophageal atresia, and also highlights information from relevant mouse models, particularly those for genes in the Sonic Hedgehog pathway...
- Maternal periconceptional exposure to cigarette smoking and alcohol and esophageal atresia +/- tracheo-esophageal fistulaDonna L Wong-Gibbons
Department of Epidemiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82:776-84. 2008..Esophageal atresia (EA) is a moderately frequent birth defect that often occurs with tracheo-esophageal fistula (TEF). Etiologic studies for EA+/-TEF have produced inconsistent results...
- A role for sonic hedgehog signaling in the pathogenesis of human tracheoesophageal fistulaTroy Spilde
Department of Surgery, The Laboratory for Surgical Organogenesis, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
J Pediatr Surg 38:465-8. 2003Many theories of the pathogenesis of esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF) have been proposed, but no specific mechanism has been demonstrated...
- Late manifestation of a large congenital tracheoesophageal fistula in an adultPankaj Saxena
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, 4032 Australia
Tex Heart Inst J 33:60-2. 2006Congenital tracheoesophageal fistula in an adult is a rare condition. We describe the clinical presentation in a young woman after video-assisted thoracoscopic pleurodesis for spontaneous pneumothorax...
- Case report: Use of two balloon-tipped catheters during thoracoscopic repair of a type C tracheoesophageal fistula in a neonateAnthony M H Ho
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong SAR
Can J Anaesth 54:223-6. 2007To describe a novel airway management technique for thoracoscopic repair of a type C tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) in a neonate.
- Eosinophilic esophagitis and intermediate esophagitis after tracheoesophageal fistula repair: a case seriesCarol Oliveira
Division of General Surgery, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
J Pediatr Surg 43:810-4. 2008..missed or underdiagnosed in children, particularly in the setting of reflux disease associated with tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF)...
- Esophageal atresia with or without tracheoesophageal fistula: success and failure in 94 casesAhmed H Al-Salem
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Maternity and Children Hospital, Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 26:116-9. 2006The management of newborns with esophageal atresia (EA) with or without tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) has evolved considerably over the years. Currently an overall survival of 85% to 90% has been reported from developed countries...
- [Fat injection to treat widening of a tracheoesophageal fistula with a voice prosthesis]Sachiko Komatsubara
Department of Otolaryngology, Kagoshima City Hospital, Kagoshima
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 111:412-5. 2008..We encountered a patient of tracheoesophageal fistula with a voice prosthesis after total laryngectomy, in whom the fistula grew too wide...
- Laryngotracheo-esophageal cleft in a neonate with esophageal atresia and tracheo-esophageal fistula: report of a caseS K Ratan
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Safdarjang Hospital, West Kidwai Nagar, New Delhi, India
Surg Today 31:59-61. 2001..The salient clinical and radiological features of this association are highlighted to increase awareness of the possibility of this rare association and to help promote its early detection...
- Congenital esophageal stenosis associated with esophageal atresia: new conceptsAshraf H M Ibrahim
Armed Forces Hospital, Southern Region, King Faisal Military City, P O Box 5062, Khamis Mushait, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Pediatr Surg Int 23:533-7. 2007..during primary repair in detecting cases of CES associated with esophageal atresia (EA) with or without tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF)...
- An unusual cause of salivary leak post tracheoesophageal fistula repairLuke A Jardine
Grantley Stable Neonatal Unit, Royal Brisbane and Women s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Pediatr Surg Int 24:443-5. 2008..A provisional diagnosis of oesophageal atresia (OA) with tracheoesophageal fistula (TOF) was made and the child was transferred to a tertiary centre for further evaluation...
- Congenital anomalies of the esophagusOlga Achildi
Department of Surgery, Temple University School of Medicine, 3420 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 40:219-44, viii. 2007..and management, including outcome following repair of esophageal atresia with or without an associated tracheoesophageal fistula, are described...
- [Spontaneous recanalisation of the esophagus]Pranas Gurskas
Clinic of Pediatric Surgery, Vilnius University, Santariskiu 7, 2600 Vilnius, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 38:69-71. 2002..received and treated in our clinics for III-b type oesophageal atresia (esophageal atresia with distal tracheoesophageal fistula)...
- Imperforate anus associated with oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistulaT O Bello
Department of Radiology, LAUTECH College of Health Sciences, Oshogbo, Osun State
Niger Postgrad Med J 11:137-9. 2004..This paper reports the concurrence of imperforate anus, oesophageal atresia and tracheo-esophageal fistula in a 24 hours old baby. The importance of the non-random coexistence of these anomalies is emphasised...
- Prenatal diagnosis and management of congenital subglottic stenosis associated with congenital esophageal atresia type CT Sato
Department of Surgery, Miyagi Children s Hospital, Sendai, Japan
Eur J Pediatr Surg 18:131-3. 2008..reports have stated that it is difficult to make a prenatal diagnosis when SGS is associated with EA and tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF)...
- Esophageal atresia and tracheo-esophageal fistula in a patient with Digeorge syndromeS Sebnem Kilic
Immunology Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Uludag University School of Medicine, Bursa, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 38:E21-3. 2003..Here the authors describe a case of DGS presenting with severe combined immunodeficiency, esophageal atresia, and tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF). DGS is an important differential diagnosis in TEF.
- Gastrointestinal malformations in two infants born to women with hyperthyroidism untreated in the first trimesterMuhieddine Seoud
Obstetrics and Gynecology, The American University of Beirut Medical Center, New York, New York 10022, USA
Am J Perinatol 20:59-62. 2003..Euthyroidism was documented in both infants. These cases raise the issue of whether untreated hyperthyroidism and not methimazole intake is the teratogen...
- Role of BMP Antagonism in Craniofacial and Foregut DevelopmentJOHN A KLINGENSMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010..An important group of foregut defects is tracheoesophageal fistula, where the trachea and esophagus fail to be formed correctly from the early endodermal tube...
- Secreted BMP Antagonists in Foregut Organ DevelopmentALAN PATRICK KENNY; Fiscal Year: 2013..fetal organ induction and thus inform our clinical perspective on neonatal foregut organ malformation (tracheoesophageal fistula), injury (such as during respiratory distress syndrome), and repair (such as during healing from ..
- INDUCTIVE SIGNALING IN FOREGUT DEVELOPMENTChin Chiang; Fiscal Year: 2003..are reminiscent of a spectrum of human foregut malformations, including esophageal stenosis and atresia, tracheoesophageal fistula, and lung hypoplasia...
- Regulatory T Cells in Cardiac Allograft ToleranceAshok Muniappan; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will test this hypothesis by performing a longitudinal in vitro characterization of regulatory T cells from different lymphoid compartments in tolerant heart/kidney recipients. ..