Genomes and Genes
small cell carcinoma
Summary: An anaplastic, highly malignant, and usually bronchogenic carcinoma composed of small ovoid cells with scanty neoplasm. It is characterized by a dominant, deeply basophilic nucleus, and absent or indistinct nucleoli. There are admixtures of small cell lung carcinoma with other types of lung cancer. Small cell carcinomas are distinguished by their distinctive biological features, response to chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and by their nearly universal tendency to develop overt or subclinical metastases, which frequently eliminates surgery in most patients. (From Stedman, 25th ed; Holland et al., Cancer Medicine, 3d ed, p1286-7)
Publications380 found, 100 shown here
- Management of primary small cell carcinoma of the esophagusKe lin Sun
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100021, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:355-8. 2007Primary small cell carcinoma of the esophagus is rare...
- Small-cell lung cancerDavid M Jackman
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Lancet 366:1385-96. 2005..For patients who survive long term, careful monitoring for development of a second primary tumour is necessary, with further investigation and treatment as appropriate...
- Small cell carcinoma with concomitant adenocarcinoma arising in a Barrett's oesophagus: report of a case with a favourable behaviourFrederic Bibeau
Department of Pathology, Centre Regional de Lutte contre le Cancer Val d Aurelle, 208 Rue des Apothicaires, Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Virchows Arch 452:103-7. 2008..Moreover, it is particular because of its favourable behaviour, with a 6-year disease-free survival, after neoadjuvant chemoradiation, surgery and postoperative chemotherapy...
- Clinicopathologic features and histochemical analyses of proliferative activity and angiogenesis in small cell carcinoma of the esophagusNaohiko Koide
Department of Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
J Gastroenterol 42:932-8. 2007We investigated clinicopathologic features in patients with esophageal small cell carcinoma (SCEC), and its proliferative activity and angiogenesis.
- Primary small cell carcinoma of the breast with TTF-1 and neuroendocrine marker expressing carcinoma in situMichael Christie
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Int J Clin Exp Pathol 3:629-33. 2010Primary small cell carcinoma (SmCC) of the breast is very rare and may be difficult to distinguish from metastatic small cell carcinoma...
- Small cell lung cancerGeorge R Simon
Thoracic Oncology Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Suite 3170, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Chest 123:259S-271S. 2003..Relapsed or refractory SCLC has a uniformly poor prognosis. In this section, evidence-based guidelines for the staging and treatment of SCLC are outlined...
- Phase I study of G3139, a bcl-2 antisense oligonucleotide, combined with carboplatin and etoposide in patients with small-cell lung cancerCharles M Rudin
University of Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1110-7. 2004..A dose-finding study was performed evaluating the combination of G3139, carboplatin, and etoposide in patients with previously untreated extensive stage SCLC...
- Small cell carcinoma of the female genital tractSara Crowder
Mid Missouri Gynecologic Oncology, Columbia, MO 65201, USA
Semin Oncol 34:57-63. 2007b>Small cell carcinoma (SCC) of the female genital tract is rare, constituting less than 2% of all gynecologic malignancies...
- Role of p53 as a prognostic factor for survival in lung cancer: a systematic review of the literature with a meta-analysisE Steels
, Institut Jules Bordet, , Brussels, Belgium
Eur Respir J 18:705-19. 2001..Data were insufficient to determine the prognostic value of p53 in small cell lung cancer. In each subgroup of nonsmall cell lung cancer, p53 abnormal status was shown to be associated with a poorer survival prognosis...
- c-MET mutational analysis in small cell lung cancer: novel juxtamembrane domain mutations regulating cytoskeletal functionsPatrick C Ma
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Res 63:6272-81. 2003..It would now be useful to study the inhibition of c-MET as a therapeutic target against SCLC...
- Acetylcholine is synthesized by and acts as an autocrine growth factor for small cell lung carcinomaPingfang Song
Department of Pathology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Cancer Res 63:214-21. 2003..These findings demonstrate that SCLC can synthesize, secrete, and degrade ACh and that released ACh stimulates SCLC cell growth. Identification of this new autocrine loop provides a potential new target for therapeutic intervention...
- Changing epidemiology of small-cell lung cancer in the United States over the last 30 years: analysis of the surveillance, epidemiologic, and end results databaseRamaswamy Govindan
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4539-44. 2006..Small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) is a histologic subtype of lung cancer with a distinct biology and clinical course. It has been observed that the incidence of SCLC has been decreasing over the last several years...
- Immunohistochemical differential diagnosis between large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma and small cell carcinoma by tissue microarray analysis with a large antibody panelJun ichi Nitadori
Pathology Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute East, 6 5 1 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa shi, Chiba 277 8577, Japan
Am J Clin Pathol 125:682-92. 2006....
- Gamma knife radiosurgery for metastatic brain tumors from lung cancer: a comparison between small cell and non-small cell carcinomaToru Serizawa
Department of Neurosurgery, Chiba Cardiovascular Center, Ichihara, Japan
J Neurosurg 97:484-8. 2002....
- Small-cell lung cancer (human): potentiation of endocytic membrane activity by voltage-gated Na(+) channel expression in vitroP U Onganer
Neuroscience Solutions to Cancer Research Group, Department of Biological Sciences, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London SW7 2AZ, UK
J Membr Biol 204:67-75. 2005..Both drugs inhibited HRP uptake, thereby suggesting that basal cholinergic activity occurred. It is concluded that VGSC upregulation could enhance metastatic cell behavior in SCLC by enhancing endocytic membrane activity...
- Esophageal small cell carcinomas: clinicopathologic parameters, p53 overexpression, proliferation marker, and their impact on pathogenesisK Y Lam
Department of Pathology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Arch Pathol Lab Med 124:228-33. 2000To evaluate the clinicopathologic features and the roles of p53 and MIB-1 in esophageal small cell carcinoma.
- Small cell carcinoma of the esophagus: the Tata Memorial Hospital experienceGouri H Pantvaidya
Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India
Ann Thorac Surg 74:1924-7. 2002b>Small cell carcinoma of the esophagus is a rare disease, characterized by aggressive progression. It has a high incidence of metastatic disease at presentation and a poor overall prognosis...
- Classification of human lung carcinomas by mRNA expression profiling reveals distinct adenocarcinoma subclassesA Bhattacharjee
Department of Adult Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:13790-5. 2001..These results suggest that integration of expression profile data with clinical parameters could aid in diagnosis of lung cancer patients...
- Primary small cell carcinoma of the esophagusJima Lv
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cancer Hospital Institute, Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, China
J Thorac Oncol 3:1460-5. 2008..Primary small cell esophageal carcinoma (SCEC) is a rare and aggressive disease for which there is no recommended standard treatment at this time...
- Effect of cigarette smoking on major histological types of lung cancer: a meta-analysisS A Khuder
Medical College of Ohio, 3120 Glendale Ave, Toledo, OH 43614 5809, USA
Lung Cancer 31:139-48. 2001..The association was stronger with squamous cell carcinoma (SQC) and small cell carcinoma (SCLC) than with large cell cancer (LGC) and adenocarcinoma (ADC)...
- Chromosomal imbalances in human lung cancerBinaifer R Balsara
Human Genetics Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 7701 Burholme Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Oncogene 21:6877-83. 2002..The molecular implications of consistent chromosome imbalances found in lung cancer to date are also discussed...
- Surgical management for small cell carcinoma of the esophagusT Tanaka
Department of Surgery, Kurume University School of Medicine, Fukuoka, Japan
Dis Esophagus 23:502-5. 2010Esophageal small cell carcinoma (SmCC) has been regarded as a rare and aggressive tumor with early metastasis. The optimal treatment has not yet been established, and the role of surgery has remained controversial...
- Haptoglobin alpha-subunit and hepatocyte growth factor can potentially serve as serum tumor biomarkers in small cell lung cancerAjit Bharti
Department of Medicine, Center for Molecular Stress Response, Boston University School of Medicine, 88 East Newton Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Anticancer Res 24:1031-8. 2004..Small cell lung cancer (SCLC) frequently presents as metastatic disease. It would be useful to detect serum tumor biomarkers at an earlier stage in order to improve the overall survival...
- Immunohistochemical distinction between merkel cell carcinoma and small cell carcinoma of the lungMattheos Bobos
Department of Pathology, Aristotle University Medical School, Thessaloniki, Greece
Am J Dermatopathol 28:99-104. 2006..These findings suggest that a set of three immunohistochemical stains, including CK20, NF, and TTF-1, is useful in affording a distinction between Merkel cell carcinoma and small cell lung carcinoma...
- Progress in the management and outcome of small-cell lung cancer in a French region from 1981 to 1994M P Lebitasy
Service de Pneumologie Lyautey, CHU de Strasbourg, 1 rue des Canonniers, 67100 Strasbourg, France
Br J Cancer 85:808-15. 2001..Survival time has truly improved as 'state of the art' management of SCLC has changed...
- Successful treatment of neuroendocrine small cell carcinoma of the cervix metastatic to regional lymph nodesY B Kim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Gynecol Oncol 62:411-4. 1996Neuroendocrine small cell carcinoma of the cervix is an aggressive tumor that is associated with a poor prognosis. No reports have described a patient with metastatic spread who has had long-term survival...
- High expression of integrin beta1 and p53 is a greater poor prognostic factor than clinical stage in small-cell lung cancerFumihiro Oshita
Department of Thoracic Oncology, Kanagawa Cancer Center, Nakao, Asahi ku, Yokohama, Japan
Am J Clin Oncol 27:215-9. 2004..394, p = 0.0005). In conclusion, the high expression of integrin beta1 and p53 in tumor cells is a greater poor prognostic factor than clinical stage in patients with SCLC...
- Gain of a region on 7p22.3, containing MAD1L1, is the most frequent event in small-cell lung cancer cell linesBradley P Coe
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 45:11-9. 2006..Intriguingly, MAD1L1 has been implicated to have tumor-suppressing functions. Our data suggest a more complex role for this gene, as MAD1L1 is the most frequent copy number gain in SCLC cell lines...
- Small cell carcinoma of the gallbladder: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular pathology study of 12 casesA Maitra
Departments of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:595-601. 2001..In contrast to pulmonary small cell carcinomas, p16INK4a function appears to be abrogated more frequently in these carcinomas...
- Long-term survivors after the resection of limited esophageal small cell carcinomaM Mitani
Department of Surgery II, Nagoya City University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Dis Esophagus 13:259-61. 2000Patients with small cell carcinoma of the esophagus have a poor prognosis and have generally been treated by chemotherapy. However, all reported cases were at advanced stages...
- Outcome of recurrent and metastatic small cell carcinoma of the bladderNabil Ismaili
Department of Medical Oncology, National Institute of Oncology, Rabat, Morocco
BMC Urol 9:4. 2009Bladder small cell carcinoma is an uncommon tumour. Through a retrospective study we will present the evolution of recurrent and metastatic disease and outcome of patients treated at Léon-Bérard Cancer Centre.
- Incidence, mortality, and prognostic factors of small cell carcinoma of the cervixJergin Chen
Department of Radiation Oncology, Huntsman Cancer Institute, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Obstet Gynecol 111:1394-402. 2008To compare the incidence, mortality, and presentation of small cell carcinoma of the cervix with other histologies.
- A case of primary small cell carcinoma of the breastHidekazu Kitakata
Division of Surgical Oncology, Cancer Research Institute, Kanazawa University, Japan
Breast Cancer 14:414-9. 2007We report a rare case of primary small cell carcinoma of the breast. A 44-year-old woman was admitted to our hospital with a mass in her left breast...
- International lung cancer trends by histologic type: male:female differences diminishing and adenocarcinoma rates risingSusan S Devesa
Biostatistics Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Int J Cancer 117:294-9. 2005..Most lung cancers are squamous cell carcinoma, small cell carcinoma, or adenocarcinoma; trends vary according to type...
- Treatment outcomes of small cell carcinoma of the prostate: a single-center studyPhilippe E Spiess
Department of Urologic Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 110:1729-37. 2007The current study was conducted to determine the clinical characteristics and prognostic features associated with prostatic small cell carcinoma (SCC).
- The selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571 inhibits small cell lung cancer growthG W Krystal
Department of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, McGuire Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Richmond 23249, USA
Clin Cancer Res 6:3319-26. 2000....
- Clinical and therapeutic aspects of extrapulmonary small cell carcinomaAnnemiek M E Walenkamp
Department of Medical Oncology, University Medical Centre Groningen and University of Groningen, P O Box 30001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Cancer Treat Rev 35:228-36. 2009Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma (EPSCC) is usually treated similarly to small cell lung cancer...
- Clinical, pathologic, and molecular spectrum of tumors associated with t(11;22)(p13;q12): desmoplastic small round-cell tumor and its variantsW L Gerald
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 16:3028-36. 1998..We reviewed 109 cases of DSRCT to further characterize this entity better...
- Small cell lung cancer: state of the art and future perspectivesRoger Stupp
Multidisciplinary Oncology Center, University Hospital CHUV, 46, Rue du Bugnon, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Lung Cancer 45:105-17. 2004..Particular emphasis is given to the importance of concomitant and accelerated radiotherapy and consideration of dose-intensive combination chemotherapy regimens...
- Small cell carcinoma of the prostate. A morphologic and immunohistochemical study of 95 casesWenle Wang
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:65-71. 2008b>Small cell carcinoma of prostate is rare, with the literature consisting of case reports and small series...
- Prospective evaluation of the clinical value of planar bone scans, SPECT, and (18)F-labeled NaF PET in newly diagnosed lung cancerH Schirrmeister
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
J Nucl Med 42:1800-4. 2001..Routinely performed SPECT imaging is practicable, is cost-effective, and improves the accuracy of BS...
- Irinotecan plus cisplatin compared with etoposide plus cisplatin for extensive small-cell lung cancerKazumasa Noda
Kanagawa Cancer Center, Yokohama, Japan
N Engl J Med 346:85-91. 2002..In a phase 2 study of irinotecan plus cisplatin in patients with extensive small-cell lung cancer, there was a high response rate and a promising median survival time...
- Small cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder: a clinicopathologic analysis of 64 patientsLiang Cheng
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Cancer 101:957-62. 2004b>Small cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder is an uncommon tumor that has been described in case reports or small series. Herein, the authors report a series of 64 patients with small cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder.
- Small cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder. The Mayo Clinic experienceNicholas W W Choong
Division of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 103:1172-8. 2005b>Small cell carcinoma (SCC) of the urinary bladder accounts for 0.35-0.70% of all bladder tumors. There is no standard approach to the management of SCC of the urinary bladder.
- Cisplatin and etoposide regimen is superior to cyclophosphamide, epirubicin, and vincristine regimen in small-cell lung cancer: results from a randomized phase III trial with 5 years' follow-upStein Sundstrøm
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Trondheim
J Clin Oncol 20:4665-72. 2002..To investigate whether chemotherapy with etoposide and cisplatin (EP) is superior to cyclophosphamide, epirubicin, and vincristine (CEV) in small-cell lung cancer (SCLC)...
- Hedgehog signalling within airway epithelial progenitors and in small-cell lung cancerD Neil Watkins
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Nature 422:313-7. 2003..This requirement for Hh pathway activation identifies a common lethal malignancy that may respond to pharmacological blockade of the Hh signalling pathway...
- Phase III study of concurrent versus sequential thoracic radiotherapy in combination with cisplatin and etoposide for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: results of the Japan Clinical Oncology Group Study 9104Minoru Takada
Osaka Prefectural Habikino Hospital, Osaka City General Medical Center, Kinki National Hospital for Chest Disease, Osaka, Japan
J Clin Oncol 20:3054-60. 2002....
- Small cell carcinoma of the cervix: treatment and survival outcomes of 188 patientsJoshua G Cohen
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 203:347.e1-6. 2010..To determine the clinicopathologic factors associated with survival in neuroendocrine small cell cervical cancer patients...
- Results of surgery in small cell carcinoma of the lungDavid Gomez de Antonio
Hospital Universitario Puerta de Hierro, c San Martin de Porres, 4 28035, Madrid, Spain
Lung Cancer 52:299-304. 2006..Our study reports the survival rate of 47 patients with small cell lung cancer treated surgically...
- Irradiation enhances the metastatic potential of prostatic small cell carcinoma xenograftsLilach Agemy
Department of Immunology, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Prostate 68:530-9. 2008b>Small cell carcinoma of the prostate (SCCP) is a rare subset of prostate cancer (0.5-2% of all prostatic carcinomas), predominantly composed of neuroendocrine (NE) cells, with a very poor prognosis...
- Small cell carcinoma of the head and neck: a reviewGregory Renner
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Semin Oncol 34:3-14. 2007b>Small cell carcinoma (SCC) has become recognized as a distinct, though relatively infrequent, clinical pathology that occurs in multiple sites throughout the head and neck...
- Thyroid transcription factor-1 and "basal marker"--expressing small cell carcinoma of the breastCagatay Ersahin
Department of Pathology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Int J Surg Pathol 17:368-72. 2009b>Small cell carcinoma of the breast is a very rare entity that is histologically indistinguishable from small cell carcinomas of other organs...
- Poorly differentiated small cell carcinoma of the pancreas. A case report and review of the literatureSimone Berkel
Department of Medicine II, Mannheim Medical Faculty, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Pancreatology 4:521-6. 2004b>Small cell carcinoma (SCC) of the pancreas is a rare malignancy with an extremely poor prognosis...
- A phase II study of paclitaxel in heavily pretreated patients with small-cell lung cancerE F Smit
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 77:347-51. 1998..Paclitaxel is active in drug-resistant SCLC. Further investigation in combination with other active agents in this poor prognosis group is appropriate...
- Small-cell carcinoma of the cervix: fourteen years of experience at a single institution using a combined-modality regimen of involved-field irradiation and platinum-based combination chemotherapyP J Hoskins
British Columbia Cancer Agency, 600 West 10th Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V5Z 4E6
J Clin Oncol 21:3495-501. 2003..To determine the efficacy and toxicity of a combined-modality regimen of irradiation with platinum-based combination chemotherapy in small-cell carcinoma of the cervix (SCCC)...
- An immunohistochemical analysis of ovarian small cell carcinoma of hypercalcemic typeW G McCluggage
Department of Pathology, Royal Group of Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Int J Gynecol Pathol 23:330-6. 2004Ovarian small cell carcinoma of hypercalcemic type (OSCCHT) is a rare neoplasm with an aggressive behavior, broad differential diagnosis, and unknown histogenesis...
- Platinum-etoposide chemotherapy in elderly patients with small-cell lung cancer: results of a randomized multicenter phase II study assessing attenuated-dose or full-dose with lenograstim prophylaxis--a Forza Operativa Nazionale Italiana Carcinoma PolmonaAndrea Ardizzoni
Medical Oncology, Parma University Hospital, Via Gramsci 14, 43100 Parma, Italy
J Clin Oncol 23:569-75. 2005..We conducted a randomized two-stage phase II study to assess the therapeutic index of two different platinum/etoposide regimens, attenuated-dose (AD) and full-dose (FD) plus prophylactic lenograstim...
- Small cell carcinoma of the esophagus; clinicopathological and immunohistochemical analysis of six casesT Noguchi
Department of Oncological Science Surgery II, Oita Medical University, Oita, Japan
Dis Esophagus 16:252-8. 2003b>Small cell carcinoma arising in the esophagus is a relatively rare disease. In the more common small cell carcinoma of the lung, the diagnostic significance of several new markers has been recently reported...
- Distinction of pulmonary small cell carcinoma from poorly differentiated squamous cell carcinoma: an immunohistochemical approachHong Zhang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Medical School, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mod Pathol 18:111-8. 2005Accurate morphologic distinction between small cell carcinoma and poorly differentiated squamous cell carcinoma has critical therapeutic significance, but can be limited by crush artifact, tumor necrosis, limited tumor representation, and ..
- Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma--a medical center's experienceTai Lin Huang
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, R O C
Chang Gung Med J 29:590-5. 2006To review the biologic behavior, therapy and natural courses of patients with extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma (EPSCC) in a medical center.
- Synchronus presentation of early-stage small cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma in the same lung lobeYoshihiro Kobashi
Division of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, Matsushima, Kurashiki
Intern Med 45:287-91. 2006..A histological diagnosis (small cell carcinoma) was obtained by bronchoscopic examination including a transbronchial lung biopsy (TBLB)...
- Study of paclitaxel, etoposide, and cisplatin chemotherapy combined with twice-daily thoracic radiotherapy for patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: a Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 9609 phase II studyDavid S Ettinger
The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD 21231 1000, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:4991-8. 2005....
- Prognostic significance of p27Kip1, p45Skp2 and Ki67 expression profiles in Merkel cell carcinoma, extracutaneous small cell carcinoma, and cutaneous squamous cell carcinomaM T Fernandez-Figueras
Department of Pathology, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Catalonia, Spain
Histopathology 46:614-21. 2005....
- Induction of BAIAP3 by the EWS-WT1 chimeric fusion implicates regulated exocytosis in tumorigenesisRachel E Palmer
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Cancer Cell 2:497-505. 2002..BAIAP3 therefore encodes a transcriptional target of an oncogenic fusion protein that implicates the regulated exocytotic pathway in cancer cell proliferation...
- Molecular genetic evidence for a common clonal origin of urinary bladder small cell carcinoma and coexisting urothelial carcinomaLiang Cheng
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University Medical Center, University Hospital 3465, 550 North University Boulevard, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Pathol 166:1533-9. 2005..Concordant genetic alterations and X chromosome inactivation between small-cell carcinoma and coexisting urothelial carcinoma suggest that both tumor components originate from the same cells in the urothelium...
- Fibronectin enhances viability and alters cytoskeletal functions (with effects on the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathway) in small cell lung cancerT Kijima
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Dana 1234B, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Cell Mol Med 7:157-64. 2003..In summary, FN stimulation of SCLC cells leads to enhancement of viability and changes in cytoskeletal function that are partially mediated through the PI3-K pathway...
- Prostate cancer with a normal PSA: small cell carcinoma of the prostate--a rare entityChristopher Trotz
Family Practice Residency Program, Underwood Memorial Hospital, Woodbury, NJ 08096, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 16:343-4. 2003
- Small cell lung carcinoma (SCLC): a clinicopathologic study of 100 cases with surgical specimensSiobhan A Nicholson
Department of Pulmonary and Mediastinal Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington DC 20306 6000, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1184-97. 2002..Stage remained the only predictor of prognosis...
- Unusual and underappreciated: small cell carcinoma of the prostateJeffrey S Palmgren
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO, USA
Semin Oncol 34:22-9. 2007..Evident from this review is the necessity for further research in the biology of small cell carcinoma progression, in order to improve therapy.
- The pathology of extrapulmonary small cell carcinomaShellaine R Frazier
Department of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Semin Oncol 34:30-8. 2007..In this article we discuss the pathology of EPSCC with a review of theories of histogenesis, sites of occurrence, diagnostic features, differential diagnosis, molecular alterations, and clinical behavior...
- Evidence for management of small cell lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition)David J Samson
Technology Evaluation Center, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, 1310 G St, NW, Washington, DC 20005, USA
Chest 132:314S-323S. 2007....
- Small-cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix: a clinicopathologic study of 11 casesS Tsunoda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Kitasato University, Kanagawa, Japan
Int J Gynecol Cancer 15:295-300. 2005..Immunohistochemical analysis using several kinds of neuroendocrine markers is helpful in establishing the correct diagnosis in addition to focusing on characteristic histo- and cytopathologic features...
- Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma (EPSCC): 10 years' multi-disciplinary experience at CharitéSebastian Ochsenreither
Charite, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Department of Medicine III Hematology and Oncology, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Anticancer Res 29:3411-5. 2009Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma (EPSCC) is a rare disease of highly proliferating neuroendocrine tumor cells. Therapy and outcome of EPSCC patients treated at our institution were retrospectively analyzed.
- Metallothionein expression in patients with small cell carcinoma of the lung: correlation with other molecular markers and clinical outcomeM G Joseph
Department of Pathology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Cancer 92:836-42. 2001Patients with small cell carcinoma of the lung (SCLC) are known to have an extremely poor prognosis, with a 5-year survivor rate of only 5%. Chemotherapeutic drug resistance is a major obstacle to curative therapy in patients with SCLC.
- Regular aspirin use and lung cancer riskKirsten B Moysich
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, USA
BMC Cancer 2:31. 2002....
- Small cell carcinoma of the prostate: an underrecognized entityS N Nadig
Department of Urology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Can J Urol 8:1207-10. 2001..Historically, there has been little awareness of the rare but lethal small cell carcinoma (SCC) in association with prostate cancer...
- Prognostic factors in extrapulmonary small cell carcinomas. A large retrospective studyYu lin Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
Oncology 72:181-7. 2007Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma (EPSCC) is a heterogeneous group of cancers. The clinicopathological features of EPSCC remain poorly defined.
- [A case of esophageal small cell carcinoma with syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion]Masaki Kanzaki
Department of Surgery, Doai Kinen Hospital
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 37:1941-4. 2010A 66-year-old man was referred to our hospital with esophageal tumor. He was diagnosed with esophageal small cell carcinoma by endoscopic biopsy...
- Elevated mortality from lung cancer associated with arsenic exposure for a limited durationHiroto Nakadaira
Division of Social and Environmental Medicine, Department of Community Preventive Medicine, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata City, Japan 951 8510
J Occup Environ Med 44:291-9. 2002..b>Small cell carcinoma was specific to the exposed patients...
- Hypercalcemic-type of small cell carcinoma of the ovary: characterization of a new tumor lineH Walt
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Anticancer Res 21:3253-9. 2001The aim of this study was to develop and characterize a mouse xenograft model for the hypercalcemic-type of small cell carcinoma of the ovary (HTSCCO).
- Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma of the bladderNasir Shahab
Department of Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine, Columbia, MO, USA
Semin Oncol 34:15-21. 2007..The majority of cases have been observed in the bladder and prostate. Small cell carcinoma accounts for less than 1% of all bladder tumors...
- Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, synchronous small cell carcinoma and squamous neoplasia of the urinary bladder in a paraplegic man following long-term phenoxybenzamine therapyS Vaidyanathan
Regional Spinal Injuries Centre, District General Hospital, Southport, Merseyside, UK
Spinal Cord 44:188-91. 2006..A case report...
- Indomethacin-induced activation of the death receptor-mediated apoptosis pathway circumvents acquired doxorubicin resistance in SCLC cellsD J A de Groot
Department of Medical Oncology, University Medical Center Groningen, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB, Groningen, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 92:1459-66. 2005..Our findings show that indomethacin increases the cytotoxic activity of doxorubicin in a doxorubicin-resistant SCLC cell line partly via the death receptor apoptosis pathway, independent of Fas...
- p63 and TTF-1 immunostaining. A useful marker panel for distinguishing small cell carcinoma of lung from poorly differentiated squamous cell carcinoma of lungMaoxin Wu
Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 119:696-702. 2003..p63 and TTF-1 appear to be useful for differentiating SCLC from lung PDSCC in formalin-fixed and alcohol-fixed, formalin-postfixed material...
- Primary small cell carcinoma of the nasal cavity with an unusual oral manifestationMarco Tarozzi
Unit of Oral Pathology and Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Oral Pathol Med 36:252-4. 2007b>Small cell carcinoma (SCC) is a malignancy that mainly occurs in the lung, with primary lesions in the head and neck being very rare...
- F-18-FDG-PET/CT imaging of small cell carcinoma of the colonKatie Jones
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Clin Nucl Med 33:645-6. 2008
- A randomized comparison of standard chemotherapy versus alternating chemotherapy and maintenance versus no maintenance therapy for extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer: a phase III study of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupD S Ettinger
Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Baltimore, MD 21205
J Clin Oncol 8:230-40. 1990..Moreover, when the alternating induction chemotherapy was used, long-term maintenance chemotherapy was not needed...
- Familial small cell carcinoma of the ovaryAnibal R Martinez-Borges
Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 53:1334-6. 2009..b>Small cell carcinoma of the ovary is a rare histology and historically has a poor prognosis...
- Primary small cell carcinoma of the cecumDina El Demellawy
Department of Anatomical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Diagn Pathol 10:162-5. 2006Cecal extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma (cESC) is extremely rare, with only single previous report of occurrence in a child. We report a 76-year-old man admitted for evaluation of a cecal mass seen in colonoscopy...
- Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma: single center experience with 61 patientsSung Sook Lee
Division of Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Oncol 46:846-51. 2007..Clinical trials are needed to define adequate treatment strategies for EPSCC...
- Phase II study of area under the plasma-concentration-versus-time curve-based carboplatin plus standard-dose intravenous etoposide in elderly patients with small-cell lung cancerH Okamoto
Yokohama Municipal Citizen s Hospital, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
J Clin Oncol 17:3540-5. 1999..This phase II study was designed to determine the toxicity and efficacy of carboplatin based on Calvert's formula plus the standard dose of intravenous etoposide for elderly patients with SCLC...
- Controlled clinical trial of prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with small-cell lung cancer in complete remissionA Laplanche
Département de Biostatistique et d Epidémiologie, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Lung Cancer 21:193-201. 1998..In conclusion, in this study, which had to be closed prematurely, no significant difference was found in terms of the incidence of brain metastases nor in survival...
- Predictive role of HER-2/neu overexpression and clinical features at initial presentation in patients with extensive stage small cell lung carcinomaAnil Potti
Department of Medicine, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 1919 Elm Street North, Fargo, ND 58102, USA
Lung Cancer 36:257-61. 2002..There exists a need for randomized controlled trials to assess the role of Herceptin (alone or in combination with standard chemotherapy) in patients with ESSCLC...
- Phase II trial of carboplatin plus oral etoposide for elderly patients with small-cell lung cancerK Matsui
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Osaka Prefectural Habikino Hospital, Japan
Br J Cancer 77:1961-5. 1998..1 months for 16 limited-disease (LD) and 8.6 months for 22 extensive-disease (ED) patients. Myelosuppression was the principal side-effect. This regimen is an active regimen in the treatment of elderly SCLC patients...
- Neuroendocrine small cell carcinoma of the breast: report of a caseRin Yamaguchi
Kurume University Medical Center, Kurume, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 42:58-61. 2009A rare case of neuroendocrine small cell carcinoma (SmCC) of the breast is reported. A 51-year-old postmenopausal woman noticed a nodule approximately 3 cm in diameter in her right upper breast...
- Randomized study of CODE versus alternating CAV/EP for extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer: an Intergroup Study of the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group and the Southwest Oncology GroupN Murray
National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 17:2300-8. 1999..To determine whether an intensive weekly chemotherapy regimen plus thoracic irradiation is superior to standard chemotherapy in the treatment of extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer (ESCLC)...
- Primary esophageal small cell carcinoma with concomitant invasive squamous cell carcinoma or carcinoma in situJunya Yamamoto
Department of Pathology, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, Japan
Hum Pathol 34:1108-15. 2003Esophageal small cell carcinoma (SmCC) is a rarer, more highly aggressive, and more rapidly growing neoplasm than esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (SqCC)...
- [Expression of CD56, as a potential diagnostic marker, in small cell carcinoma]Jing Ping Yun
State Key Laboratory of Oncology in Southern China, Guangzhou, Guangdong, P R China
Ai Zheng 24:1140-3. 2005b>Small cell carcinoma is a rare malignant disease with high mortality, which is pathologically diagnosed by using routine neuroendocrinal markers, such as neuron-specific enolase (NSE), synaptophysin (SYN), chromogranin A (CgA)...
- Small cell carcinoma of the endometrium: report of three cases and literature reviewA Katahira
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
Int J Gynecol Cancer 14:1018-23. 2004b>Small cell carcinoma of the endometrium is extremely rare. Aim. We reported three cases of this rare tumor and reviewed the literature.
- MRI of small cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix with pathologic correlationDong Hyun Yang
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, 388 1 Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, South Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 182:1255-8. 2004OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the MRI features of small cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix and to correlate those features with pathologic findings...
- Stage I small cell carcinoma of the endometrium: survival and management optionsAylin Fidan Korcum
1Department of Radiation Oncology, Akdeniz University School of Medicine, Antalya, 07070, Turkey
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 87:122-6. 2008b>Small cell carcinoma (SCC) of the endometrium is a rare but aggressive disease with early systemic involvement. Patient survival is short. To date, no effective treatment protocol has been established...
- Role of IKK in NSCLC: Modulation of SMRT and NF-kappaBMarty W Mayo; Fiscal Year: 2012..The overall goal of this project is use these newly identified gene products as novel therapeutic targets for detection and treatment of NSCLC. ..
- Preclinical Development of JS-K, a Novel NO-Generating Prodrug for CancerPaul J Shami; Fiscal Year: 2012..This new drug then goes one step further: it will improve the quality of life for cancer patients, their caregivers and families by providing a significantly more effective and less painful therapy than is currently available. ..
- Biomarkers to Assess Selenium Chemoprevention for NSCLCSteven A Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2012..Studies will also assess whether these same biomarkers can predict cancer recurrence. Finally, a cocktail of agents with minimal side effects is being evaluated that could ultimately be used in the prevention of lung cancer in humans. ..
- Stat3 Downstream Genes as Lung Adenocarcinoma BiomarkersCong Yan; Fiscal Year: 2013..This work will identify protein biomarkers for lung cancer diagnosis and prognosis in humans and in animals. ..
- Delivery issues in lung cancer CNS metastasesEdward A Neuwelt; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that these approaches will lead to the development of a clinical trial of dynamic MRI and novel therapy that will translate into improved survival of VA patients with lung cancer brain metastases. ..
- Endocrine Targets for Prevention of Lung CancerRobert M Bigsby; Fiscal Year: 2012..These minimal studies will pave the way for testing receptor specific estrogen antagonists and additional PR-specific antagonists in prevention of tumor growth and progression in the lung. ..
- A Pilot Study of Yoga for Breathing and Quality of Life of Lung Cancer PatientsJUDITH MARIE FOULADBAKHSH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Measures will be obtained at Baseline, and at three, six, nine and/or twelve-week intervals (depending on the measure), and at three follow- up time points (one, three and six months) post intervention. ..
- Targeting Galectin-1 with radiation in lung cancerQUYNH THU XUAN LE; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will help to establish that Gal-1 is a novel target that can be used in conjunction with RT to improve the treatment outcome in NSCLC. ..
- Role of Id1 in NSCLC Progression and MetastasisSrikumar P Chellappan; Fiscal Year: 2013..We believe that an in-depth mechanistic analysis as proposed in this application will lead to the development of novel therapeutic agents for non-small cell lungs cancer based on targeting the Id1 protein. ..
- Inhibiting EGFR and ER pathways in NSCLCEdward B Garon; Fiscal Year: 2013..At the conclusion of this research training, I will be well positioned to function as an independent physician scientist in patient-oriented lung cancer research, and I anticipate competing for independent research funding. ..
- Gene Therapy Reduction of Radiotherapy EsophagitisJoel S Greenberger; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): A major dose limiting toxicity of chemoradiotherapy of non-small cell carcinoma of the lung is irradiation esophagitis...
- Role of POZ-zinc finger proteins in tumorigenesis.Pier Paolo Pandolfi; Fiscal Year: 2013..In view of the critical role exerted by this protein in tumorigenesis and embryonic development the further elucidation of POKEMON/LRF function and role in human cancer is of great relevance to biomedical research. ..
- Role of Autophagy in CancerEileen White; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Using Ketogenic Diets to Enhance Radio-Chemo-Therapy Response: A Phase I TrialDOUGLAS ROBERT SPITZ; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Polymorphism and mutation spectrum in minorities with non-small cell lung cancerDavid P Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results should provide tremendous insight into the genomic factors which influence susceptibility, pathogenesis, drug sensitivity, and survival in African-Americans with non-small cell lung cancer. ..
- Carboxylesterase-activated Doxazolidine-prodrug for Hepatocellular CarcinomaTad H Koch; Fiscal Year: 2012..Preliminary subcutaneous xenograft experiments indicate tumor growth inhibition in mouse models of liver cancer and non-small cell lung cancer using cancer cells that express CES2. ..
- Rigid-rod Peptides as Nanocarriers for Delivery of Cancer DrugsKatarzyna Slowinska; Fiscal Year: 2013..This SC-3 support, if awarded, will increase the PI's research output and improve competitiveness for major grant support such as NSF and NIH-RO1 type grants. ..
- Metabolic reprogramming: A new paradigm for targeting cisplatin resistant cellsMedhi Wangpaichitr; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, the findings obtained from this application can also be used as a platform to investigate possible ways to selectively kill cisplatin resistant cells from other tumor types. ..
- Lung Cancer Chemoradiation: Predictors of SurvivalXifeng Wu; Fiscal Year: 2009..This multivariate prognostic study could have long-term prognostic potential by allowing greater individualization of therapy, based on the genetic makeup of the patient, thereby both increasing efficacy and reducing morbidity. ..
- Prognosis and Effectiveness of Advanced Lung Cancer Treatment in the ElderlyJuan P Wisnivesky; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will provide information regarding the efficacy of several therapies and may help resolve several controversies regarding the staging and treatment of elderly patients with advanced stage lung cancer. ..
- Characterization of lung cancer radiosensitizers from genome-wide RNAi screensDavid Kozono; Fiscal Year: 2013..In so doing, I hope to provide rationale for testing proteasome and/or USP9X inhibition in Phase I/II trials, and to identify biomarkers for patient selection. ..
- Protein Kinase C Signaling Mechanisms in CancerAlan P Fields; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Soy isoflavones to augment radiotherapy of lung carcinomaGilda G Hillman; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results of this investigation will have high impact on the management of patients diagnosed with lung cancer. ..
- Development of mutant selective EGFR kinase inhibitors against EGFR T790MJohn Chant; Fiscal Year: 2010..Gatekeeper Therapeutics is developing drugs which might be very efficacious and might prolong the survival of a subset of lung cancer patients that are identified by the specific genetic mutations in their cancers. ..
- A phase Ib/II study of AZD2171 and radiation for new brain metastases from NSCLCAPRIL FITZSIMMONS EICHLER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Brain metastases are often fatal, and new therapies are desperately needed. We propose to study AZD2171, an experimental therapy that acts on tumor blood supply, in lung cancer patients with brain metastases. ..
- Inflammation in the pathogenesis of lung cancerSteven M Dubinett; Fiscal Year: 2013..Each year lung cancer exacts a devastating toll in terms of lives lost and resources expended. It is expected that this VA supported research will ultimately lead to improvement in disease-free survival for veterans with lung cancer. ..
- Novel Strategy for Lung Cancer Treatment Using IGF-1R InhibitorHo Young Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Modeling the KIF5B-RET Fusion Gene of Lung Cancer in VivoJie Wu; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will provide an important resource for the research community to accelerate the generation of mouse models of newly identified molecular lesions. ..
- Role of c-Met in SCLC and Potential for Novel TherapyRavi Salgia; Fiscal Year: 2012..In the nucleus, it binds to different proteins such as Pax5 and topoisomerase-I, and the studies proposed will dissect out mechanisms for this. Ultimately, we propose to bring to fruition combination therapies using these molecules. ..
- Notch-1 and IGF-1 crosstalk: new therapeutic strategies for NSCLCMaurizio Bocchetta; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, the study will test the clinical usefulness of targeting Notch signaling to treat NSCLC using GSI. Finally, these experiments will elucidate the role of Notch-1 in lung tumorigenicity in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Extracellular Sulfatases As Novel Biomarkers For Early Detection of CancerJoanna Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Inhibition in the progression of preinvasive lung cancer by pomegranate.Naghma Khan; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor (gamma) in Lung CancerRaphael A Nemenoff; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Role of Paxillin in Lung CancerRavi Salgia; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our goal is to study the role of paxillin in lung cancer and ultimately arrive at novel therapy against this difficult disease. ..
- UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SPORE IN LUNG CANCERJohn D Minna; Fiscal Year: 2013..Achievement of the aims and objectives of this proposal will result in a major decrease in the incidence, morbidity and mortality of lung cancer. ..
- Role of EGFR in DNA Repair and Radiation Response in Non Small Cell Lung CancerCHAITANYA SURESH NIRODI; Fiscal Year: 2012..The long term goal is to develop a radiotherapeutic strategy that simulates the radiosensitizing effects of TKD-mutated EGFR in NSCLC patients. ..
- The role of Vitamin D metabolism in Non-Small Cell Lung CancerNithya Ramnath; Fiscal Year: 2012..This will have a significant impact on the use of Vitamin D as an adjunct in advanced lung cancer or following resection of early lung cancer to decrease recurrence. ..
- Intratumoral genetic therapy for lung cancerSteven M Dubinett; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Proton-coupled folate/antifolate transportISRAEL DAVID GOLDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hence, elucidation of the biology of PCFT contributes to the understanding of factors that are determinants of folate homeostasis in man and impact on the pathogenesis of cancer and other folate-deficiency disorders. ..
- Innovative Clinical Pathways in Lung Cancer Care for Vulnerable PopulationsYolonda L Colson; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Nicotine, nicotinic receptors and lung cancerEliot R Spindel; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Assessing the Notch Pathway as a Therapeutic Target in Lung Cancer AdenocarcinomaKhaled Hassan; Fiscal Year: 2013..This work presents a novel approach in treating lung cancer by targeting cancer stem cells and provides basis for future clinical trials. ..
- Molecular Biomarkers of Small Cell Lung Cancer BehaviourPierre P Massion; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ultimately, by detecting SCLC early in its course, we hope to provide patients and loved ones with decrease pain and suffering and possibly a chance for a cure. ..
- HEAT AND RADIATION EFFECTS ON TUMOR MICROCIRCULATIONMark Wesley Dewhirst; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Rational Combined Inhibition of NF-kB and EGFR to Optimize Lung Cancer TreatmentTrever G Bivona; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our overall goal is to define the strategies for CD95-NF-kB inhibition most likely to be maximally effective in appropriately selected lung cancer patients. ! ..
- Erythropoietin Blockade for the Treatment of CancerC Anthony Blau; Fiscal Year: 2012..First, we will develop a diagnostic assay to predict which patients are most susceptible to erythropoietin induced tumor growth. Second, we propose a new strategy for treating tumors that is based on erythropoietin blockade. ..
- Targeting RET in Lung CancerPasi A Janne; Fiscal Year: 2013..Findings from these studies have therapeutic implications for patients with cancers harboring genomic alterations in RET and catalyze the development of clinical trials for such patients. ..
- Development of GZ38-1, a Novel Protectant of Chemotherapy-Induced MyelosuppressioJAY COPELAND STRUM; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Antineuronal antibodies in autoimmune neurological diseaseJOHN EDWARD GREENLEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Information gained from the research should also be of value in understanding the role of antibody-neuron interactions in host defense against infection and in immunotherapy of degenerative neurological diseases. ..
- Targeting the ERCC1/XPF nuclease for cancer therapyJohn J Turchi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Providing a more effective treatment regimen is essential to increase overall survival and enhance quality of life for those diagnosed with cancer. ..
- Understanding the role of SKP2 in small cell lung cancer progressionBrandon Nicolay; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will lead to identification of combined approaches that together with Skp2 knockdown will lead to SCLC cell death. ..
- University of Maryland, Baltimore Biomarker Reference LaboratorySanford A Stass; Fiscal Year: 2013..of authority and organizational structure have been established in the UMB BRL to ensure timely performance, efficient communication and rapid translation of findings from the development phase into clinical application ..
- EXTENSION OF RADIOTHERAPY RESEARCHRaymond E Meyn; Fiscal Year: 2013..When encouraging, results will serve as the basis for formulating compelling regimen for clinical testing. ..
- Pharmacogenomics and Mechanisms of Cytidine AnaloguesLiewei Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- A Randomized trial of early palliative care for newly diagnosed cancer patientsJENNIFER SUE TEMEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hope that combining palliative care with traditional cancer treatment will not only prove beneficial for patients and their families but also transform comprehensive cancer care. ..
- Synthetic cannabinoids as novel therapeutic strategies against non-small cell lunRamesh K Ganju; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed research can yield important novel future clinical therapies that will significantly improve lung cancer mortality and promote lung health. ..
- A Phase II Study to Test the Correlation of a Radiation Pneumonitis Imaging BiomaThomas M Guerrero; Fiscal Year: 2010..We anticipate the PMRR, the focus of this study, may have a significant impact on the development of drug to reduce radiation treatment toxicity in cancer patients. ..
- Defining a Molecularly Distinct Subtype of Non Small Cell Lung CancerAlexander Augustyn; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- CD22-targeted Therapeutics for the Treatment of Lung CancerJoseph M Tuscano; Fiscal Year: 2013..This work will study the role of CD22 in NSCLC, the potential for CD22-targeted therapy of NSCLC, and will allow for rapid translation of huHB22.7 to patients with NSCLC. ..
- Identification and therapeutic application of miRNA-drivers in lung cancerANDREA LYNN KASINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The identification of miRNAs and targeted-therapies to perturb miRNA imbalance that occurs in cancer is invaluable to the fields of cancer and miRNA biology, and has direct clinical application. ..
- Targeted Treatment of Recurrent Small Cell Lung Cancer with Anti-AbnV2 AntibodiesRoy H L Pang; Fiscal Year: 2011..The proposed research is expected to lead to new successful therapies for managing recurrent SCLC, thereby leading to a higher long- term survival rate for these patients. ..
- Inflammation in Oncogenic K-ras-induced Lung TumorigenesisJonathan M Kurie; Fiscal Year: 2012..We hope to better understand the mechanisms by which tumor/stromal cell interactions promote lung tumorigenesis and to build a rationale to test CXCR2 as a target for lung cancer prevention and therapy. ..
- HDAC inhibition for the chemoprevention of lung cancerJohann Christoph Brandes; Fiscal Year: 2013..With a 37% absolute risk reduction for lung cancer incidence, this would translate into 55,000 lives saved per year. ..
- Integrating cellular and molecular heterogeneity of TKI response in NSCLC cellsPETER LEE FRICK; Fiscal Year: 2013..This knowledge would help reconcile the promise of targeted therapies with the challenge of tumor heterogeneity, and could have high translational value. ..
- Multifunctional PEG Hydrogel Nano/Microparticles for Targeted Treatment of NSCLCPatrick J Sinko; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Development of DNA Methylation Markers for Early Detection of Lung CancerIte A Laird Offringa; Fiscal Year: 2010..The development of sensitive and specific molecular markers for lung cancer is the key to early detection of this disease, and could greatly increase lung cancer patient survival. ..
- FDG-PET and V/Q SPECT Acquired During Radiation to Predict Outcomes in Lung CanceFeng Ming Kong; Fiscal Year: 2009..If successful, future radiation therapy could be personalized based on their response to radiation and treatment gain could be maximized. ..
- VIP AND EGF RECEPTORS IN NON-SMALL CELL LUNG CANCERTerry Moody; Fiscal Year: 1991..These studies will further define the cell surface receptors present on lung cancer cells and aid in determining if these receptors can be utilized to develop novel therapeutic approaches for the treatment of lung cancer...
- Molecular Characterization of Stage I Lung CancerMing You; Fiscal Year: 2010..We believe that the 64-gene molecular marker set are validated, adjuvant therapy could be selectively administered to those patients at high risk for relapse. ..
- TISSUE AND SERUM INDICATORS OF LUNG CANCER RECURRENCEDavid Harpole; Fiscal Year: 2000..Tissue and serum markers identified by the model can be used to select high risk patients for a prospective, multi-institutional chemotherapy trial for stage I NSCLC. ..
- cardiac neoglycosides as cancer drugsCharles Hutchinson; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the present study the goal will be to identify drug leads that have the greatest safety index between antitumor activity and potential cardiotoxicity. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adenovirus Persistence in Human Lymphoid TissuesLinda Gooding; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will reveal the potential for persistent adenovirus to contribute to serious chronic diseases such as cancer and autoimmunity. ..
- In vivo RNAi nanoparticle cancer gene function reagentMartin Woodle; Fiscal Year: 2009..If successful, the resulting reagent is expect to enable rapid advances in understanding this life threatening disease that produce better targeted therapeutic treatment options for patients. ..
- A Population-Based Analysis of Mediastinal Staging for Non-Small Cell Lung CancerFarhood Farjah; Fiscal Year: 2007..The body of evidence emerging from this line of work also has implications for quality improvement initiatives and incorporating standardized staging into clinical trials of therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biology of CHK2 Kinase In Lung CancerWeixin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Targeting MRP7 to Overcome Drug Resistance for Ovarian Cancer Therapy by TaxanesZhe Sheng Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, the knowledge obtained from this research could assist physicians in improving survival rate of ovarian cancer patients. ..
- SPECIFIC INHIBITION OF K-RAS EXPRESSION IN LUNG CANCERCHARLES MAYFIELD; Fiscal Year: 1999..These studies will provide critical information on the potential for antigene therapy in humans. ..
- Inflammatory Cytokines Associated Symptom Burden in NSCLC Patients Receiving CXRTXin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finding mechanisms to relieve symptom burden and improve the function of the many patients undergoing curative aggressive cancer treatment such as chemoradiation has immense public health significance. ..