Genomes and Genes
Summary: Presence of fluid in the pleural cavity resulting from excessive transudation or exudation from the pleural surfaces. It is a sign of disease and not a diagnosis in itself.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications292 found, 100 shown here
- Metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in exudative pleural effusionsD Iglesias
Dept of Internal Medicine, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Respir J 25:104-9. 2005..In conclusion, elevated metalloproteinase-1, -8 and -9 expression was found in parapneumonic pleural effusions. These metalloproteinases could be implicated in the local inflammatory response existing in this group of effusions...
- Diagnostic value of interferon-gamma in tuberculous pleurisy: a metaanalysisJing Jiang
Institute of Respiratory Diseases, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning 530021, Guangxi, People s Republic of China
Chest 131:1133-41. 2007..We conducted a metaanalysis to determine the accuracy of IFN-gamma measurements in the diagnosis of tuberculous pleurisy...
- Tuberculous pleural effusionJose M Porcel
Department of Internal Medicine, Pleural Diseases Unit, Arnau de Vilanova University Hospital, Institut de Recerca Biomèdica de Lleida IRBLleida, Avda Alcalde Rovira Roure 80, 25198, Lleida, Spain
Lung 187:263-70. 2009Tuberculous pleural effusion is one of the most common forms of extrapulmonary tuberculosis (TB). The immediate cause of the effusion is a delayed hypersensitivity response to mycobacterial antigens in the pleural space...
- Diagnosis and treatment of tuberculous pleural effusion in 2006Arun Gopi
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Jonathan Lucas St, Suite 812 CSB, PO Box 250360, Charleston, SC 29426, USA
Chest 131:880-9. 2007Tuberculous (TB) pleural effusion occurs in approximately 5% of patients with Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection...
- Diagnostic accuracy of adenosine deaminase in tuberculous pleurisy: a meta-analysisQiu Li Liang
Institute of Respiratory Diseases, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, 530021 Guangxi, People s Republic of China
Respir Med 102:744-54. 2008..We conducted a meta-analysis to determine the accuracy of ADA measurements in the diagnosis of tuberculous pleurisy...
- Clinical practice. Pleural effusionRichard W Light
Pulmonary Disease Program, St Thomas Hospital, and the Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville 37205, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1971-7. 2002
- Update on tuberculous pleural effusionRichard W Light
Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2650, USA
Respirology 15:451-8. 2010The possibility of tuberculous pleuritis should be considered in every patient with an undiagnosed pleural effusion, for if this diagnosis is not made the patient will recover only to have a high likelihood of subsequently developing ..
- Clinical impact and reliability of pleural fluid mesothelin in undiagnosed pleural effusionsHelen E Davies
Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:437-44. 2009....
- Exposure to nanoparticles is related to pleural effusion, pulmonary fibrosis and granulomaY Song
Dept of Occupational Medicine, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, China
Eur Respir J 34:559-67. 2009..These cases arouse concern that long-term exposure to some nanoparticles without protective measures may be related to serious damage to human lungs...
- Ultrasound estimation of volume of pleural fluid in mechanically ventilated patientsM Balik
Department of Intensive Care, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, Australia
Intensive Care Med 32:318-21. 2006The aim was to develop a practical method for estimation of the volume of pleural effusion using ultrasonography in mechanically ventilated patients.
- microRNA detection in feces, sputum, pleural effusion and urine: novel tools for cancer screening (Review)Yü Feng Xiao
Department of Gastroenterology, Xinqiao Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400037, PR China
Oncol Rep 30:535-44. 2013..In the present review, we focused mainly on the application of detecting miRNAs in stool, sputum, pleural effusion and urine, to detect colon, lung and urological cancers, highlighting the role of miRNAs in early diagnosis ..
- Pneumococcal serotypes causing pneumonia with pleural effusion in pediatric patientsJigui Yu
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, BBRB 614, 1530 Third Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294 2170, USA
J Clin Microbiol 49:534-8. 2011To determine the prevalence of serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae responsible for pneumonia with pleural effusion, we determined the capsular polysaccharide (PS) type directly on 49 pleural fluid specimens collected from pediatric ..
- Pleural effusion VEGF levels as a prognostic factor of malignant pleural mesotheliomaNoriko Hirayama
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1 1 Mukogawa cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 663 8501, Japan
Respir Med 105:137-42. 2011..Here, we investigated the pleural effusion VEGF levels in patients with MPM and compared them to those of a population with a non-malignant pleuritis or ..
- Increased frequencies of T helper type 17 cells in tuberculous pleural effusionTingting Wang
Immunology and Reproduction Biology Lab, Medical School and State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 91:231-7. 2011..This study was designed to investigate the possible involvement of Th17 cells in tuberculous pleural effusion. Compared with healthy volunteers, patients with TB had a higher proportion of Th17 cells in peripheral blood ..
- Diagnosis of pleural effusion: a systematic approachEmmet E McGrath
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, England, UK
Am J Crit Care 20:119-27; quiz 128. 2011In most diseases related to pleural effusion, the fluid analysis yields important diagnostic information, and in certain cases, fluid analysis alone is enough for diagnosis...
- Multivariate modelling with (1)H NMR of pleural effusion in murine cerebral malariaSoumita Ghosh
Department of Chemical Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India
Malar J 10:330. 2011..complication of cerebral malaria (CM), respiratory distress, acute lung injury, hydrothorax/pleural effusion are also observed in several cases...
- Getting the most from pleural fluid analysisSteven A Sahn
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Respirology 17:270-7. 2012Virtually, every pulmonary disease and most non-pulmonary diseases may be associated with a pleural effusion. The presence of a pleural effusion allows the clinician to 'diagnose' or narrow the differential diagnosis and aetiology of the ..
- CD4(+)CD25(+)FoxP3(+) regulatory T cells suppress Mycobacterium tuberculosis immunity in patients with active diseaseXinchun Chen
Shenzhen Donghu Hospital, 2019, Buxin Road, Shenzhen 518020, China
Clin Immunol 123:50-9. 2007..Therefore, CD4(+)CD25(+)FoxP3(+) Treg expanded in TB patients suppress M. tuberculosis immunity and may therefore contribute to the pathogenesis of human TB...
- Immunological mechanisms in pleural diseaseV B Antony
Indiana University School of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, RL Roudebush VA Medical Center, 1481 West 10th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Eur Respir J 21:539-44. 2003..Immunological responses in the pleura include the development of pleural permeability and pleural effusion formation as well as the development of pleural fibrosis and scarring...
- [Prospective study of 1,000 consecutive patients with pleural effusion. Etiology of the effusion and characteristics of the patients]V Villena
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Arch Bronconeumol 38:21-6. 2002To describe the characteristics of patients with pleural effusion (PE) and the causes of PE in a prospective, consecutive series of patients.
- Frequent epidermal growth factor receptor gene mutations in malignant pleural effusion of lung adenocarcinomaS G Wu
Dept of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur Respir J 32:924-30. 2008..Epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors may be the treatment of choice for lung adenocarcinoma with malignant pleural effusions in east Asia...
- Distinct cytokine and regulatory T cell profile at pleural sites of dual HIV/tuberculosis infection compared to that in the systemic circulationZ Toossi
Division of Infectious Diseases, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 4984, USA
Clin Exp Immunol 163:333-8. 2011..A correlation in expansion of T(reg) with proinflammatory cytokines (IL-6 and IL-8) in pleural fluid was shown. T(reg) themselves may promote the inflammatory cytokine milieu through IL-8...
- Pleural fluid interferon-gamma and adenosine deaminase levels in tuberculosis pleural effusion: a cost-effectiveness analysisS K Sharma
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Clin Lab Anal 19:40-6. 2005..A total of 52 patients with pleural effusion, 35 of which were found to have TB etiology, were prospectively included for estimation of ADA and IFN-gamma ..
- Ex vivo characterization of early secretory antigenic target 6-specific T cells at sites of active disease in pleural tuberculosisKatalin A Wilkinson
Nuffield Department of Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 40:184-7. 2005..The recruitment of ESAT-6-specific T cells to inflamed tuberculous tissue demonstrates their function in vivo and suggests a novel way to diagnose tuberculous pleuritis...
- FoxP3+ regulatory T cells suppress effector T-cell function at pathologic site in miliary tuberculosisPrabhat K Sharma
Department of Transplant Immunology and Immunogenetics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179:1061-70. 2009..we studied the frequency and function of Treg cells derived from the local disease site specimens (LDSS) of patients with TB pleural effusion and MTB as clinical models of contained and disseminated forms of disease, respectively.
- BTS guidelines for the management of pleural infection in childrenI M Balfour-Lynn
Consultant in Paediatric Respiratory Medicine, Royal Brompton Hospital, Syndey St, SW3 6NP London, UK
Thorax 60:i1-21. 2005
- Lung abnormalities after dasatinib treatment for chronic myeloid leukemia: a case seriesAnne Bergeron
Universite Denis Diderot Paris 7, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Saint Louis 1, avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75475 Paris, Cedex 10, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176:814-8. 2007..Thus, lung physicians should be aware that lung manifestations, presumably related to an immune-mediated mechanism rather than fluid retention, may occur with dasatinib treatment...
- Cytokine polarization in miliary and pleural tuberculosisSurendra K Sharma
Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Clin Immunol 22:345-52. 2002Cytokines were measured in patients with pleural effusion and miliary tuberculosis (TB). Patients with pleural effusion had significantly higher interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) levels (P < 0...
- Ultrasound-guided thoracentesis: is it a safer method?Phillip W Jones
Saint Thomas Hospital, and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37205, USA
Chest 123:418-23. 2003....
- Parapneumonic effusions and empyemaRichard W Light
Division of Allergy, Critical Care, Pulmonary Disease, and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Proc Am Thorac Soc 3:75-80. 2006..The definitive procedure should be performed within 14 d...
- Identification of pneumococcal serotypes from culture-negative clinical specimens by novel real-time PCRD Tarrago
Spanish Reference Laboratory for Pneumococci, Servicio de Bacteriologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:828-34. 2008..Such molecular methods are critical for the diagnosis of invasive pneumococcal disease and continued epidemiological surveillance in order to monitor serotype vaccine effectiveness...
- Interleukin-8 production in tuberculous pleurisy: role of mesothelial cells stimulated by cytokine network involving tumour necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1 betaJ S Park
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, College of Medicine, Dankook University, Chonan, South Korea
Scand J Immunol 57:463-9. 2003..These findings demonstrate that both pleural macrophages and mesothelial cells produce IL-8 in tuberculous pleurisy, and cytokines produced by M. tuberculosis-infected macrophages mediate mesothelial cell IL-8 production...
- Multilevel likelihood ratios for identifying exudative pleural effusions(*)John E Heffner
Medical University of South Carolina Drs Heffner and Sahn, Charleston, SC
Chest 121:1916-20. 2002..To determine multilevel likelihood ratios for pleural fluid tests that are commonly used to discriminate between exudative and transudative pleural effusions...
- Etiology of empyema thoracis and parapneumonic pleural effusion in Taiwanese children and adolescents younger than 18 years of ageTzou Yien Lin
Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Pediatr Infect Dis J 32:419-21. 2013We analyzed blood and pleural fluid samples from 89 Taiwanese children with empyema thoracis and parapneumonic pleural effusion. Streptococcus pneumoniae was the major pathogen, identified in 12 children by bacterial culture and 53 ..
- [Diagnosis and treatment of pleural effusion]Victoria Villena Garrido
Servicio de Neumología Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre Madrid España
Arch Bronconeumol 42:349-72. 2006
- Pleural fluid mesothelin for the differential diagnosis of exudative pleural effusionsCarmen Alemán
Department of Internal Medicine, Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Barcelona, Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 133:449-53. 2009..Recent studies have reported that determination of soluble mesothelin-related peptides (SMRP) in pleural fluid may be a promising marker for use in the diagnosis of MM...
- Pleural fluid characteristics of tuberculous pleural effusionsEmmet E McGrath
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Heart Lung 39:540-3. 2010Mycobacterium tuberculosis (TB) infection of the pleural space is an important cause of pleural effusion in areas of high TB prevalence. Microbiological analyses of pleural fluid in the acute setting may be negative...
- Diagnostic approach to pleural effusion in adultsJose M Porcel
Internal Medicine Department, Arnau de Vilanova University Hospital, Lleida, Spain
Am Fam Physician 73:1211-20. 2006The first step in the evaluation of patients with pleural effusion is to determine whether the effusion is a transudate or an exudate. An exudative effusion is diagnosed if the patient meets Light's criteria...
- Monoclonal anti-vascular endothelial growth factor antibody reduces fluid volume in an experimental model of inflammatory pleural effusionSabrina C C Ribeiro
Laboratory of Pleura, Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Respirology 14:1188-93. 2009..This study describes the acute effects of VEGF blockade on the expression of inflammatory cytokines and pleural fluid accumulation...
- Pleural effusionsRichard W Light
Division of Allergy Pulmonary Critical Care, Vanderbilty University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Med Clin North Am 95:1055-70. 2011There are many diseases that cause pleural effusions. When a patient with a pleural effusion is first evaluated, one should determine if the patient has a transudate or an exudate...
- Imbalance of Th17 cells and regulatory T cells in tuberculous pleural effusionZhi Jian Ye
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Key Laboratory of Pulmonary Diseases of Health Ministry, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Clin Vaccine Immunol 18:1608-15. 2011..cells (Th17 cells) and regulatory T cells (Tregs) have been found to be increased in human tuberculous pleural effusion (TPE); however, the possible interaction between Th17 cells and Tregs in TPE remains to be elucidated...
- Role of pleural viscosity in the differential diagnosis of exudative pleural effusionOzkan Yetkin
Department of Chest Disease, Inonu University School of Medicine, Malayta, Turkey
Respirology 12:267-71. 2007..However, a reliable test for determining the aetiology of a pleural effusion is lacking...
- Useful tests on pleural fluid that distinguish transudates from exudatesJ M Porcel
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Arnau de Vilanova, Lleida, Spain
Ann Clin Biochem 38:671-5. 2001..This test combination avoids the need for venepuncture and the simultaneous collection of a blood sample...
- Comparison of six biological markers for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleuritisAkio Hiraki
Department of Respiratory Medicine, National Sanyo Hospital, Respiratory Disease Center, Yamaguchi, Japan
Chest 125:987-9. 2004..We sought a marker to differentiate tuberculous pleural effusions from nontuberculous pleural effusions, which otherwise can be difficult...
- Cell origins and diagnostic accuracy of interleukin 27 in pleural effusionsWei bing Yang
Key Laboratory of Pulmonary Diseases of Health Ministry, Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
PLoS ONE 7:e40450. 2012..The concentrations of IL-27 were determined in pleural fluids and sera from 68 patients with tuberculous pleural effusion, 63 malignant pleural effusion, 22 infectious pleural effusion, and 21 transudative pleural effusion...
- Differentiating transudative from exudative pleural effusion: should we measure effusion cholesterol dehydrogenase?Mathie P G Leers
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Hematology, Atrium Medical Center Heerlen, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Clin Chem Lab Med 45:1332-8. 2007..In this study, the diagnostic properties of Light's criteria were compared to those of several other analytes for the classification of pleural fluids into transudative and exudative...
- Osteopontin is upregulated in malignant and inflammatory pleural effusionsCharalampos Moschos
Applied Biomedical Research and Training Center Marianthi Simou, Department of Critical Care and Pulmonary Services, General Hospital Evangelismos, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Athens
Respirology 14:716-22. 2009..In the present study, we asked whether pleural fluid (PF) and serum OPN concentrations differed between patients with pleural effusions of different aetiologies, and whether assessment of OPN levels was useful for diagnostic purposes...
- Pleurodesis is inhibited by anti-vascular endothelial growth factor antibodyYubiao B Guo
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat sen University, Guangzhou, ROC
Chest 128:1790-7. 2005..This study investigated whether anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) antibody has any effect on the fluid production or the pleurodesis induced by TGF-beta2...
- Clinical significance of pleural effusion mesothelin in malignant pleural mesotheliomaShusai Yamada
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, Hyogo, Japan
Clin Chem Lab Med 49:1721-6. 2011..This study investigated the pleural effusion mesothelin levels in patients with MPM and compared them to those of a population with a non-malignant ..
- Serum mesothelin has a higher diagnostic utility than hyaluronic acid in malignant mesotheliomaBogdan Grigoriu
INSERM Unit 774, Institut Pasteur de Lille, rue du Professeur Calmette, 59000 Lille, France
Clin Biochem 42:1046-50. 2009..We assessed comparatively the diagnostic value of two potential malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) markers: hyaluronic acid (HA) and soluble mesothelin...
- Diagnostic utility of pleural fluid IFN-gamma in tuberculosis pleural effusionS K Sharma
Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Interferon Cytokine Res 24:213-7. 2004Pleural fluid interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) levels are increased in patients with tuberculosis (TB) pleural effusion. Recent studies from the west have found that estimation of pleural fluid IFN-gamma levels is an excellent diagnostic ..
- Diagnostic utility of interferon-gamma-induced protein of 10 kDa (IP-10) in tuberculous pleurisyPokkali Supriya
Department of Immunology, Tuberculosis Research Centre ICMR, Chennai 600 031, India
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 62:186-92. 2008..930). The better sensitivity (84.2% for IFN-gamma and 89.2% for IP-10) and equal specificity (95.7%) of IP-10 assay compared with IFN-gamma suggest that IP-10 is a potential diagnostic marker for evaluating TP...
- Clinical evaluation of HER-2/neu protein in malignant pleural effusion-associated lung adenocarcinoma and as a tumor marker in pleural effusion diagnosisTsui Lien Hung
Departments of Pathology, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 704, Taiwan
Clin Cancer Res 9:2605-12. 2003Lung adenocarcinoma presenting as malignant pleural effusion (MPE) is common in Taiwan. Microscopically, the involved pleurae are infiltrated by numerous tumor foci, which suggests that the cancer cells are highly invasive...
- Outcomes of Category III DOTS treatment in immunocompetent patients with tuberculosis pleural effusionS K Sharma
Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 16:1505-9. 2012..RMP], isoniazid [INH] and pyrazinamide for 2 months, followed by RMP and INH for 4 months) under India's Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme in patients with uncomplicated small unilateral pleural effusion (<1500 ml).
- A prospective study of the volume of pleural fluid required for accurate diagnosis of malignant pleural effusionWissam Abouzgheib
Lung Center at Sparks Health System, Fort Smith, AR 72917 7006, USA
Chest 135:999-1001. 2009..This is a prospective study to define the volume of pleural fluid adequate for maximal yield of cytologic analysis of pleural fluid...
- Immune response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in the parietal pleura of patients with tuberculous pleurisyGaetano Caramori
Section of Respiratory Diseases, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e22637. 2011..Elevated CD3, CD4, CCR4 and Th17 cells and decreased mast cells and GATA-3+ cells in the parietal pleura distinguish patients with untreated tuberculous pleurisy from those with nonspecific pleuritis...
- Diagnostic value of interleukin-12 p40 in tuberculous pleural effusionsL Valdes
Pulmonology Service, Complejo Hospitalario Clínico Universitario de Santiago, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Eur Respir J 33:816-20. 2009The diagnosis of tuberculous pleural effusion (TBPE) is frequently problematic. Several markers of TBPE in pleural fluid have been evaluated, with different results...
- Effector, memory and naïve CD8+ T cells in peripheral blood and pleural effusion from lung adenocarcinoma patientsHeriberto Prado-Garcia
Departamento de Enfermedades Cronico Degenerativas, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Tlalpan 4502, Col Seccion XVI, CP 14080 Mexico City, Mexico
Lung Cancer 47:361-71. 2005The proportions of naïve, memory and effector CD8+ T cells in peripheral blood and pleural effusion from lung adenocarcinoma patients were studied...
- A presumptive case of toxocariasis associated with eosinophilic pleural effusion: case report and literature reviewMahi Lakshmi Ashwath
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Georgia 31201, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:764. 2004..We report a case of eosinophilic pleural effusion and CD8 cell deficiency associated with Toxocara sp...
- Angiogenic molecule Tie-2 and VEGF in the pathogenesis of pleural effusionsFoteini Economidou
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University Hospital, Medical School, University of Crete, Heraklion 71110 Crete, Greece
Respir Med 102:774-9. 2008The role of angiogenesis in the pathogenesis of pleural effusion (PE) has not been determined. The expression of angiogenic factors may represent useful markers for the diagnosis and prediction of disease outcome...
- Angiogenic factors and angiogenesis inhibitors in exudative pleural effusionsEva Ruiz
Department of Internal Medicine, General Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Lung 183:185-95. 2005..We analyzed pleural fluid from 105 patients with one of the following types of pleural effusion: empyema or complicated parapneumonic, non-complicated parapneumonic, tuberculous, neoplastic and ..
- Diagnostic accuracy, safety and utilisation of respiratory physician-delivered thoracic ultrasoundNajib M Rahman
Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, Churchill Hospital, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Thorax 65:449-53. 2010..pleural procedures are associated with fewer adverse events than 'blind' procedures for patients with pleural effusion. Ultrasound is increasingly practised by respiratory physicians but there has been no prospective assessment ..
- Pearls and myths in pleural fluid analysisJose M Porcel
Pleural Diseases Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Arnau de Vilanova University Hospital, Institut de Recerca Biomedica de Lleida, Lleida, Spain
Respirology 16:44-52. 2011Virtually all patients with a newly discovered pleural effusion should undergo thoracentesis to aid in diagnosis and management...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor and proinflammatory cytokines in pleural effusionsHiroaki Momi
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
Respir Med 96:817-22. 2002..VEGF) in the differential diagnosis of pleuritis and its association with other proinflammatory cytokines in pleural effusion, we measured VEGF together with interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta), tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) and ..
- Intrapleural fibrinolytic agents for empyema and complicated parapneumonic effusions: a meta-analysisYasuharu Tokuda
Department of Medicine, Okinawa Chubu Hospital, Okinawa, Japan
Chest 129:783-90. 2006..Randomized controlled trials have shown conflicting findings about the role of intrapleural fibrinolytic therapy for the treatment of empyema and complicated parapneumonic effusions in adult patients...
- Management of parapneumonic effusion and empyema: medical thoracoscopy and surgical approachLukas Kern
Division of Pulmonary and Sleep Medicine, Kantonsspital St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Respiration 82:193-6. 2011..Video-assisted thoracic surgery carries the advantage of providing optimal visibility of the pleural cavity, thus allowing better debridement. Thoracotomy is the treatment of choice when thoracoscopic cleaning is not satisfactory...
- Diagnostic value of tumor markers for differentiating malignant and benign pleural effusions of Iranian patientsSied Mohammad Ali Ghayumi
Department of Internal Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Pathol Oncol Res 11:236-41. 2005..neuron-specific enolase (NSE) and cancer antigen 125 (CA 125) were assayed prospectively in patients with pleural effusion (40 malignant and 37 benign)...
- Interferon-gamma release assays for the diagnosis of TB pleural effusions: hype or real hope?Clare E Hooper
University of Bristol and North Bristol Lung Centre, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, UK
Curr Opin Pulm Med 15:358-65. 2009..However, questions remain regarding their clinical utility beyond conventional tests in the investigation of suspected active TB. We review the evidence base for IGRAs in the diagnosis or exclusion of pleural TB...
- Intrapleural alteplase in a patient with complicated pleural effusionCharlotte A Walker
Chalmers P Wylie Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic, Columbus, OH, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:376-9. 2003To report the intrapleural use of alteplase in a patient diagnosed with complicated pleural effusion (CPE).
- Diagnostic utility of serum and pleural fluid carcinoembryonic antigen, neuron-specific enolase, and cytokeratin 19 fragments in patients with effusions from primary lung cancerJin Hwa Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Ewha Womans University, Ewha Medical Research Institute, 911 1 MokDong, Yangcheon Ku, Seoul, South Korea
Chest 128:2298-303. 2005..To assess the diagnostic values of carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), neuron-specific enolase (NSE), and cytokeratin 19 fragments (CYFRA 21-1) as markers of pleurisy in primary lung cancer...
- Diagnostic tests for tuberculous pleural effusionE E McGrath
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 29:1187-93. 2010The investigation of pleural effusion has been greatly assisted by advancements in pleural fluid analysis...
- Diagnostic tools in tuberculous pleurisy: a direct comparative studyA H Diacon
Institute of Internal Medicine, University of Stellenbosch Medical School, Tyberberg Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
Eur Respir J 22:589-91. 2003....
- Differential diagnosis of tuberculous and malignant pleural effusions: what is the role of adenosine deaminase?Bojan Zaric
Department for Interventional Pulmonology, Medical Faculty, Clinic for Pulmonary Oncology, Institute for Pulmonary Diseases of Vojvodina, University of Novi Sad, Institutski put 4, Sremska Kamenica 21204, Serbia
Lung 186:233-40. 2008..or biopsy specimen, tuberculous granulomas, or positive sputum cultures without other explanation for pleural effusion. Malignancy was diagnosed by either cytology or biopsy...
- Alternative widely available, inexpensive agents for pleurodesisOner Dikensoy
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, School of Medicine, Gaziantep University, Turkey
Curr Opin Pulm Med 11:340-4. 2005Pleurodesis is the one of the best options for the management of symptomatic patients with malignant pleural effusion, recurrent benign pleural effusion, and recurrent pneumothorax...
- A randomized controlled trial of the efficacy of cosmetic talc compared with iodopovidone for chemical pleurodesisRitesh Agarwal
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Respirology 16:1064-9. 2011..However, limited availability and high cost hamper the routine use of talc in resource poor countries. In this study, we compared the efficacy and safety of iodopovidone with that of cosmetic talc, for chemical pleurodesis...
- Diagnostic value of vascular endothelial growth factor and endostatin in malignant pleural effusionsW B Zhou
Department of Oncology, Hubei Provincial Corps Hospital, Chinese People Armed Police Forces, Wuhan, China
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:381-6. 2009..To assess the value of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and endostatin in the differential diagnosis of malignant and tuberculous pleural effusions (PE)...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor correlates with matrix metalloproteinase-9 in the pleural effusionH Y Jin
Department of Internal Medicine, Research Institute of Clinical Medicine, Chonbuk National University Medical School, 634 18, Keumamdong, Jeonju, 561 712, South Korea
Respir Med 98:115-22. 2004..Few data are available on the potential relationship between VEGF and MMP-9 in the accumulation of pleural effusion. We examined levels of VEGF and MMP-9 by means of enzyme immunoassay, zymographic analysis, and Western blot ..
- Biomarkers of infection for the differential diagnosis of pleural effusionsJ M Porcel
Dept of Internal Medicine, Arnau de Vilanova University Hospital, Avda Alcalde Rovira Roure 80, 25198 Lleida, Spain
Eur Respir J 34:1383-9. 2009..Stored pleural fluid samples from 308 patients with different causes of pleural effusion were used to measure the four biomarkers...
- High level of vascular endothelial growth factor in hemorrhagic pleural effusion of cancerOsamu Ishimoto
Department of Respiratory Oncology and Molecular Medicine, Institute of Development, Aging, and Cancer, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Oncology 63:70-5. 2002..In contrast, neither bFGF nor angiogenin were correlated with any clinical manifestation of pleural effusion. Immunohistochemical study revealed that malignant cells in the pleura were stained with anti-VEGF antibody...
- Rheumatoid pleural effusionAlexandra Balbir-Gurman
B Shine Department of Rheumatology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Semin Arthritis Rheum 35:368-78. 2006To describe the clinical and laboratory features of rheumatoid pleural effusion (RPE) and the diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to this condition.
- Genetic disruption of host nitric oxide synthase II gene impairs melanoma-induced angiogenesis and suppresses pleural effusionB Wang
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Int J Cancer 91:607-11. 2001..Moreover, less metastatic pleural effusion was observed in NOS II(-/-) mice than in NOS II(+/+) mice...
- Adenosine deaminase activity is a sensitive marker for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleuritis in patients with very low CD4 countsKamaldeen Baba
Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
PLoS ONE 3:e2788. 2008Adenosine Deaminase Activity (ADA) is a commonly used marker for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleural effusion. There has been concern about its usefulness in immunocompromised patients, especially HIV positive patients with very low CD4 ..
- Clinically documented pleural effusions in medical ICU patients: how useful is routine thoracentesis?Muriel Fartoukh
Medical and Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Antoine Béclère Teaching Hospital, Paris, France
Chest 121:178-84. 2002..To assess the impact of routine thoracentesis on diagnostic assessment and therapeutic measures in patients with clinically documented pleural effusions...
- Soluble triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells-1 for diagnosing empyemaJihad Bishara
Infectious Diseases Unit, Tel Aviv University, Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Ann Thorac Surg 87:251-4. 2009..Our goal was to evaluate whether sTREM-1 in pleural fluid can distinguish pleural empyema from postthoracotomy-related pleural effusion and effusions of other etiologies.
- Paragonimiasis: a common cause of persistent pleural effusion in Lao PDRSisoupanh Vidamaly
Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:1019-23. 2009..The disease should be considered in any case of elusive pleural effusion occurring in endemic areas.
- Circulating TNF-alpha, TGF-beta, and IL-10 in tuberculosis patients and healthy contactsJ O Olobo
Armauer Hansen Research Institute, PO Box 1005, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Scand J Immunol 53:85-91. 2001..Elevated TGF-beta in TB patients suggests its role in the immunopathogenesis...
- Polarized helper T cells in tubercular pleural effusion: phenotypic identity and selective recruitmentDipendra K Mitra
Departments of Transplant Immunology and Immunogenetics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Eur J Immunol 35:2367-75. 2005..phenotype of Th1 cells and the role of chemotactic factors in their selective recruitment in tuberculosis pleural effusion and tuberculin site...
- Diagnosis and management of parapneumonic effusions and empyemaSteve A Sahn
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy, and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:1480-6. 2007..Fibrinolytics are most likely to be effective during the early fibrinolytic stage and may make surgical drainage unnecessary. If pleural space drainage is ineffective, video-assisted thoracic surgery should be performed without delay...
- Use of pleural fluid levels of adenosine deaminase and interferon gamma in the diagnosis of tuberculous pleuritisRafał Krenke
Department of Internal Medicine, Pneumonology and Allergology, Medical University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Curr Opin Pulm Med 16:367-75. 2010..the role of adenosine deaminase (ADA) and interferon gamma (IFN-gamma) in the differential diagnosis of pleural effusion with special attention to their source, mechanism of release and methods of measurement in pleural fluid...
- Matrix metalloproteinases in respiratory diseases: from pathogenesis to potential clinical implicationsSmaragda Oikonomidi
Respiratory Medicine Department, University of Thessaly Medical School, University Hospital of Larissa, 41110 Larissa, Greece
Curr Med Chem 16:1214-28. 2009....
- Diagnostic significance of interferon-gamma in tuberculous pleural effusionsKeisuke Aoe
Department of Respiratory Medicine, National Sanyo Hospital, Respiratory Disease Center, Yamaguchi, Japan
Chest 123:740-4. 2003Tuberculosis (TB), the single most frequent infectious cause of death worldwide, also is a major cause of pleural effusion, which in TB usually has lymphocytic and exudative characteristics...
- Immunocytochemical panel for distinguishing between carcinoma and reactive mesothelial cells in body cavity fluidsEkaterini Politi
Department of Cytopathology, Aretaieio University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Diagn Cytopathol 32:151-5. 2005..Probably, calretinin is a more preferred marker for mesothelial cells as evidenced by a more intense staining reaction...
- On the identification of biomarkers for non-small cell lung cancer in serum and pleural effusionA M Rodríguez-Piñeiro
Departamento de Bioquimica, Genética e Inmunología, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Vigo, Vigo, Spain
J Proteomics 73:1511-22. 2010..for new biomarkers of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) prompted us to compare the proteome of serum and pleural effusion samples from cancer patients with those with benign lung diseases as pneumonia or tuberculosis...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis-induced gamma interferon production by natural killer cells requires cross talk with antigen-presenting cells involving Toll-like receptors 2 and 4 and the mannose receptor in tuberculous pleurisyPablo Schierloh
Departamento de Inmunologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Hematologicas, Academia Nacional de Medicina, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Infect Immun 75:5325-37. 2007..tuberculosis reaches its maximum value. Thus, interplay between M. tuberculosis and NK cells/APC triggering IFN-gamma would be expected to play a beneficial role in tuberculous pleurisy by helping to maintain a type 1 profile...
- Expression of CXC and CC type of chemokines and its receptors in tuberculous and non-tuberculous effusionsSupriya Pokkali
Department of Immunology, Tuberculosis Research Centre, Mayor V R Ramanathan Road, Chetpet, Chennai 600 031, India
Cytokine 41:307-14. 2008..Thus a selective concentration of chemokines, cytokines and abundant expression of chemokine receptors confirm the accumulation of activated and memory T cells at the site of infection and help in polarizing Th1 immune response...
- Causes of pleural exudates in a region with a high incidence of tuberculosisC K Liam
Department of Medicine, University of Malaya Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Respirology 5:33-8. 2000..To define the causes of exudative pleural effusions in our region...
- Incidence and aetiology of eosinophilic pleural effusionR Krenke
Dept of Internal Medicine, Pneumonology and Allergology, Medical University of Warsaw, ul Banacha 1a, 02 097 Warsaw, Poland
Eur Respir J 34:1111-7. 2009Although eosinophilic pleural effusion (EPE) has been a subject of numerous studies, its clinical significance still remains unclear...
- [A case of sparganosis with eosinophilic pleural effusion]Hiroyuki Kamiya
Department of Respiratory Medicine, International Medical Center of Japan
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 42:1019-23. 2004A 61 year-old man was admitted to our hospital complaining of exertional dyspnea and presented with left pleural effusion. Laboratory findings showed peripheral eosinophilia and a slightly elevated inflammatory reaction...
- Parapneumonic pleural effusion and empyemaCoenraad F N Koegelenberg
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, University of Stellenbosch and Tygerberg Academic Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
Respiration 75:241-50. 2008At least 40% of all patients with pneumonia will have an associated pleural effusion, although a minority will require an intervention for a complicated parapneumonic effusion or empyema...
- CCL22 is involved in the recruitment of CD4+CD25 high T cells into tuberculous pleural effusionsCong Wu
Institute of Respiratory Diseases, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, China
Respirology 15:522-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate whether the chemokines CCL22 and CCL17 are present in TPE, and the chemoattractant activity of these chemokines for infiltration of CD4(+)CD25(high) T cells into the pleural space...
- Validity of procalcitonin and C-reactive protein measurement when differentiating between benign and malignant pleural effusionM Botana-Rial
Unit of lnterventional Bronchopleural Pathology, Pneumology Department, Group of Investigation in Respiratory and Infectious Diseases GIERI, Spain
Clin Lab 57:373-8. 2011..CRP) measurements in pleural fluid and plasma have been proposed to facilitate differential diagnosis of pleural effusion (PE)...
- TGF-BETA FOR PLEURODESISKirk Lane; Fiscal Year: 2005..This condition is called malignant pleural effusion (MPE). This fluid impairs breathing and worsens the quality of life in these patients...
- Regulation of KSHV LatencyPaul M Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2013..KSHV has also been implicated in several lymphoid disorders, including pleural effusion lymphoma (PEL) and Castleman's disease...
- Advancing a Lead Candidate Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome DNA VaccineJAY WILLIAMS HOOPER; Fiscal Year: 2013..in humans including: incubation time, rapid onset/progression, target tissue (endothelium), pulmonary edema, pleural effusion, and shock...
- Assay Development for Inhibitors of KSHVPaul M Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2010..KSHV has also been implicated in several lymphoid disorders, including pleural effusion lymphoma and Castlemen's disease...
- Conference Support for International Congress on Oncogenic HerpesvirusesPaul M Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2012..population, and have complex cofactor roles in a variety of malignancies, including Kaposi's Sarcroma, pleural effusion lymphoma, and Multicentric Castleman's disease for KSHV, and Burkitt's lymphomas, nasopharyngeal ..
- KSHV genome modification in KS tissueErle S Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the HIV positive immunocompromised patients, pleural effusion lymphoma (PELs), Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) and Multicentric Castleman's Disease (MCD) are common...
- The Audible Human ProjectThomas J Royston; Fiscal Year: 2013..acoustic models capable of representing healthy and specific pathological conditions, including pneumothorax, pleural effusion, hydrothorax, mucous plugs, emphysema, obesity and masses (tumors) in the lung...
- Genome Persistence of KSHVErle S Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2013..These include Kaposi's sarcoma and body cavity based lymphomas (BCBLs) or Pleural Effusion Lymphomas (PELs)...
- Early Events in KSVH Infection of Primary B-cellsErle S Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2013..is associated with a number of human cancers in particular AIDS associated Kaposi sarcoma (KS) and pleural effusion lymphomas (PELs)...
- KSHV vaccine developmentJae U Jung; Fiscal Year: 2013..sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) has been consistently identified in Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) tumors, pleural effusion lymphomas, and multicentric Castleman's diseases...
- Peptide-mediated immunotherapy of KSHV-associated malignancy.Jae U Jung; Fiscal Year: 2010..Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) is an etiological agent to induce KS tumors, pleural effusion lymphomas and multicentric Castleman's disease...
- Mechanisms of Action of LANA encoded by KSHVErle S Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2011..associated with human malignancies including Kaposi's sarcoma and body cavity based lymphomas (BCBLs) or Pleural Effusion Lymphomas (PELs)...
- Training in Tumor VirologyErle S Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2013..role in mediating these cancers as in the case of HIV related cancers which includes Kaposi's sarcoma, pleural effusion lymphomas and lymphoproliferative disease...
- Clinical Trial of DRibble Vaccine in NSCLCWalter Urba; Fiscal Year: 2009..a pilot clinical trial of autologous DRibble vaccine in patients with stage IIIB or IV NSCLC with malignant pleural effusion or subcutaneous metastases as a source of autologous cancer cells for vaccine generation...
- TGF-BETA FOR PLEURODESISKirk Lane; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION: (Adapted from the Investigator's Abstract) Pleural effusion is the accumulation of fluid between the chest wall and the lung. Malignant pleural effusion (MPE) occurs secondary to metastatic malignancy to the pleural surface...
- CRITICAL ROLE OF HHV8 ENCODED IRF IN AIDS LYMPHOMASPAULA PITHA ROWE; Fiscal Year: 2001..novel type of gamma herpes virus HHV-8/KSHV which was also found in a subset of AIDSimmunoblastic lymphomas, pleural effusion lymphomas (PEL). It is assumed that HHV-8 plays a role in the pathogenicity of these diseases...
- PLEURAL EFFUSION AND PULMONARY EDEMA FORMATIONSteven Allen; Fiscal Year: 1991..The amount of edema will be determined from the post mortem lung blood free wet and dry weights and the pleural effusion volume will be measured by aspirating the fluid from the pleural space...
- SQUALAMINE PLUS CARBOPLATIN AND PACLITAXEL IN NSC LUNG CJoan Schiller; Fiscal Year: 2000..NSCLC, we are proposing a pilot and safety study of squalamine plus carbo/taxol in patients with Stage IIIB (pleural effusion only) and IV NSCLC...
- Capturing cancer cells with peptide bead technologyDerick Lau; Fiscal Year: 2003..is to develop a peptide-based technology to capture and expand cancer cells in body fluids, specifically pleural effusion. Pleural effusion is a common complication associated with malignancies especially lung cancer...
- QUANTIFICATION OF INTRATHORACIC FLUID BY IMPEDANCELee Baker; Fiscal Year: 1980..the impedance technique for assessing respired volume, cardiac output, and intrathoracic fluid accumulation (pleural effusion, pericardial effusion, and pulmonary edema)...
- SCOR-PULMONARY VASCULAR DISEASESJohn Murray; Fiscal Year: 1993..clinical and basic research projects concerned with two important clinical problems: pulmonary edema and pleural effusion. The objectives are to obtain new knowledge about the pathophysiology of liquid and protein exchange in the ..
- INNOVATIVE TUMOR TARGETED THERAPIES FOR LUNG CANCERRoman Perez Soler; Fiscal Year: 2004..and 3) integration of intrapleural therapy in the treatment of patients with stage IIB NSCLC with malignant pleural effusion. All three projects include the performance of clinical trials that incorporate the measurement of ..
- Effect of diflunisal (IND68092) on familial amyloidosisJOHN BERK; Fiscal Year: 2009..poiuytrewq c Diflunisal drug levels will be determined to assess treatment compliance. We will correlate FAP disease progression with TTR stabilization. ..
- CONTROL OF FIBRIN TURNOVER IN PLEURAL DISEASESteven Idell; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work could identify better, clinically feasible therapeutic approaches to prevent pleural fibrosis. ..
- DIETARY DEFICIENCIES AND TUBERCULOSIS VACCINE EFFICACYDavid McMurray; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- NF KAPPA B MEDIATED CHEMORESISTANCE IN HUMAN LUNG CANCERDavid Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005..The ultimate goal of this study is to provide the necessary background for the initiation of novel treatment strategies designed to treat patients with advanced lung cancer. ..
- TNF-Induced Apoptosis of Lymphocytes in Aged HumansSudhir Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studied should mechanism (s) for increased TNF-a-induced apoptosis during aging. ..
- MOUSE MODELS TO STUDY THE ROLE OF TRAF1 AND TRAF2 IN THE ETIOLOGY OF LEUKEMIAJuan Zapata; Fiscal Year: 2007..Characterization of the CLL-like lymphoproliferative disorder caused by overexpression of TRAF2DN and Bcl-2 in B cells. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Computer-Aided Detection of Pulmonary Embolism on CT Pulmonary AngiographyChuan Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2007..CAD will potentially reduce missed PEs and improve the chance of timely treatment of patients, thus reducing the mortality rate and speed up recovery from this condition. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PLEURAL LIQUID EXCHANGE AND LUNG MECHANICSSTEPHEN LAI FOOK; Fiscal Year: 2007..A specific objective is to develop a method to separate passive from active transport properties of pericardium and diaphragm, tissues that have both mesothelium and interstitium. ..
- A randomized trial of influenza vaccination of Hutterite childrenMark Loeb; Fiscal Year: 2006..We believe that the trial we propose will lead to important data that can inform policy on influenza immunization strategy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Artificial Nutrition in Terminally Ill Cancer PatientsSydney Dy; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dy with the skills she needs to develop into an independent clinical researcher in oncology palliative care decision-making and health services research. ..
- IMMUNOSUPPRESSION IN MYCOBACTERIAL DISEASESZahra Toossi; Fiscal Year: 2001..3. To characterize the T-cell dysfunction of patients with active pulmonary tuberculosis, its relationship to TGF-beta and other suppressive cytokines (IL-10) and its reversal by inhibitors of TGF- beta. ..
- PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY GROUP STUDIESThomas McLean; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- GENETIC CONTRIBUTION OF HOST AND PATHOGEN IN AFRICAN TBLeslie Louie; Fiscal Year: 2001..They will evaluate host and mycobacterial genetic variation among 125 participants in each of four groups from each African study site: TB+/HIV+, TB+/HIV-, TB-/HIV+, TB-/HIV-. ..
- FDG PET-CT in Metastatic Prostate CancerHossein Jadvar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Rigorous statistical methods will be applied to determine the diagnostic and prognostic performance of FDG PET-CT in this clinical setting. ..
- GENE SPECIFIC MUTATIONS IN SKIN INDUCED BY PEROXYNITRITEFredika Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2001..The hypothesis driving this research is that NO and peroxynitrite are mutagenic, and could be important contributors to oxidative DNA damage and mutation in human epidermal keratinocytes at sites of inflammation. ..
- Viral Infection and Primary Pulmonary HypertensionBlossom Damania; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our hypothesis is that KSHV infection of endothelial cells predisposes the endothelial cells to aberrant signaling and proliferation, and this dysfunction is enhanced with HIV co infection. ..
- Cardiac MDCT for Early Triage of Patients with ACSUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Flow Cytometry to Detect Human Tumor Cells in Body FluidAWTAR GANJU KRISHAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..3. Compare data collected from flow cytometric analysis with that obtained from cytopathology and immunocytochemistry routinely performed on these specimens for diagnostic purpose. ..
- Epidemiology of Marginal Zone LymphomaLisa Herrinton; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- PULMONARY INTERSTITIAL MECHANICSSTEPHEN LAI FOOK; Fiscal Year: 2004..lungs. These studies will measure steric exclusion of albumin in interstitial cuffs of vessels ranging from arterioles to large vessels. ..
- UC4 AP4 Cancer Therapy CenterPaul Bunn; Fiscal Year: 2004..Chan, PI); 2) vaccine/ DNAI/ RNA therapy (R. Garcea, PI); 3) angiogenic inhibitors/ PK/ PD modeling (S.G. Eckhardt, PI); and 4) chemoprevention agents (R. Nemenoff, PI). ..
- Patterns of gene expression in Mulibrey NanismJuan Zapata; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aim 2, is there any alteration in the patterns of gene expression induced by cytokines in normal and Mulibrey Nanism fibroblasts? Specific Aim 3, what is the role of TRIM37 in regulating gene expression? ..
- Chronic Lung Allograft Rejection in MHC-Defined SwineJames Allan; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- MOUSE MODELS TO STUDY MULIBREY NANISMJuan Zapata; Fiscal Year: 2005..study the developmental and phenotypic alterations of trim37 knock out and FINmajor-mutated trim37 mice. These mice will be the foundation for further studies on the biology and etiology of Mulibrey Nanism. ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF SEVERE DENGUE INFECTIONS IN VENEZUELAAlan Rothman; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results may also identify key pathophysiologic mechanisms that can be targeted for novel approaches to the treatment of adults with denaue infections. ..
- Clinical Trials of FTI RadiosensitizationStephen Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific molecular markers that are associated with activation of the Ras signaling pathway will be measured in NSCLC tumor biopsy specimens and will be related to the clinical efficacy of R115777 and radiotherapy. ..
- Symptom Management Intervention in Elderly CABG PatientsLani Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Also, a better understanding of HCU, patient satisfaction, and self-efficacy as variables will be described. ..
- Microangiectasia Regulation of Lymphocyte MigrationSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic system for thesus monkey rhadinovirus (RRV)Blossom Damania; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, it would also help us shed light on the lifecycle and pathogenesis of the gamma herpesvirus family, in general. ..
- Transfer of the CD40 ligand gene to esophageal carcinomaRobert Korst; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will help determine if intratumoral administration of the AdCUCD40L vector is safe, and evokes sufficient DC-related host responses to warrant further studies in esophageal cancer. ..
- Mechanistic Studies at the Host-pathogen InterfaceDavid McMurray; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Targets for Drug and Radiation SensitivityStephen Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Obstructive E*Todd Demmy; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will be instrumental in the development of a novel PDT drug without long-term restrictions of patients' sun exposure. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetics of TB: Cytokine Response and IronLeslie Louie; Fiscal Year: 2002..To this end, we will recruit HIV+ and HIV- patients with PTB, HIV+ patients with EPTB (pleural effusion or lymphadenitis), or HIV+ and HIV- controls without TB who are PPD skin-test positive (n=125 per group, ..