- Growth factors in pleural fibrosis
Steven E Mutsaers
Asthma, Allergy and Respiratory Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Curr Opin Pulm Med 12:251-8. 2006
..On the other hand, pleural septations and fibrosis are undesirable outcomes in pleural infection and fibrothoraces. The significance of growth factors in the pathogenesis of pleural fibrosis has become increasingly apparent...
- Chest CT screening of asbestos-exposed workers: lung lesions and incidental findings
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Eur Respir J 29:78-84. 2007
..The numerous incidental findings are a major concern for future screenings, which should be considered for asbestos-exposed ex-smokers and current smokers...
- Bronchopleural fistula after radiofrequency ablation of lung tumours
Department of Interventional Radiology, Institut Bergonie, Regional Cancer Center, 229 Cours de l Argonne, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 34:S171-4. 2011
..Our goal is to highlight the fact that BPF can occur without needle-track coagulation and to suggest that minimally invasive treatment is sufficient to cure BPFs of this specific origin...
- The use of a Dumon stent for the treatment of a bronchopleural fistula
Second Department of Surgery, Kagoshima University Faculty of Medicine, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 72:276-8. 2001
..Consequently, we placed a Dumon stent in the right main bronchus to close the stump...
- Intractable bronchopleural fistula caused by radiofrequency ablation: endoscopic bronchial occlusion with silicone embolic material
Departments of Radiology Thoracic Surgery, Mie University School of Medicine, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Br J Radiol 82:e225-7. 2009
..Despite chest drainage for 1 month, air leakage continued through a bronchopleural fistula. Bronchial occlusion was performed with a silicone embolus, causing cessation of the air leakage...
- Emergency use of an endobronchial one-way valve in the management of severe air leak and massive subcutaneous emphysema
Department of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, The Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Lung 188:253-7. 2010
..The valves selectively block inspiratory airflow to a specific segmental or subsegmental airway but allow expiratory flow with drainage of air and secretions from the corresponding distal airways and lung parenchyma...
- Computed tomography of asbestos-related pleural abnormalities
The Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsiniki, Finland
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 75:224-8. 2002
..To study the observer agreement in several asbestos-related pleural abnormalities and to define criteria to discriminate between pleural changes in workers with occupational disease, and those in controls...
- High resolution CT and histological findings in idiopathic pleuroparenchymal fibroelastosis: features and differential diagnosis
Department of Radiology, Scientific Institute for study and treatment of Cancer IRST Via Piero Maroncelli 40 42 47014 Meldola Forlì Italy
Respir Res 12:111. 2011
..The aim of this report is to describe two further cases of this rare disease, reviewing CT, clinical and histological features...
- U.K. Controlled trial of intrapleural streptokinase for pleural infection
Nicholas A Maskell
Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, Churchill Hospital Site, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 352:865-74. 2005
..This use is based on small trials that did not have the statistical power to evaluate accurately important clinical outcomes, including safety. We conducted a trial to clarify the therapeutic role of intrapleural streptokinase...
- Computed tomography features in malignant pleural mesothelioma and other commonly seen pleural diseases
Department of Chest Diseases, Osmangazi University Medical Faculty, Eskisehir, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 41:1-9. 2002
To investigate the computed tomography (CT) features of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) cases, comparing them to those in other malignant and benign pleural diseases.
- Bronchopleural fistulas: an overview of the problem with special focus on endoscopic management
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, University Hospital AZ VUB, 101, Laarbeeklaan, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Chest 128:3955-65. 2005
..Therapeutic success has been variable, and the lack of consensus suggests that no optimal therapy is available; rather, the current therapeutic options seem to be complementary, and the treatment should be individualized...
- Pathophysiology of the pleura
Michael A Jantz
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla, USA
Respiration 75:121-33. 2008
..We will also review the processes involved in the pathogenesis of pleural fibrosis...
- Asbestos-related pleural diseases: dimensional criteria are not appropriate to differentiate diffuse pleural thickening from pleural plaques
Unité de pathologie professionnelle et de santé au travail, hôpital Raymond Poincaré AP HP, Garches, France
Am J Ind Med 45:289-96. 2004
..A multicenter restropective study was conducted to assess the relevance of two radiographic definitions of DPT...
- Benign pleural diseases
Servei de Diagnostic per la Imatge, UDIAT Centre Diagnostic, Corporacio Parc Tauli, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Parc Tauli s n, 08202 Sabadell, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Radiol 34:87-97. 2000
..For the purposes of this review, pleural abnormalities will be divided into pleural effusion, pneumothorax, and pleural calcification...
- Radiographic abnormalities and exposure to asbestos-contaminated vermiculite in the community of Libby, Montana, USA
Lucy A Peipins
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Environ Health Perspect 111:1753-9. 2003
..R. Grace worker, and being a male. In addition to being a former W.R. Grace worker, environmental exposures and other nonoccupational risk factors were also important predictors of asbestos-related radiographic abnormalities...
- 'Black Spots' and hyaline pleural plaques on the parietal pleura of 150 urban necropsy cases
The Chest Department, Hospital Erasme, Université Libre de Buxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1198-206. 2002
..Scores correlated with sex and age. There was no relationship between the predominant locations of black spots and hyaline pleural plaques...
- Fluorodeoxyglucose-PET in characterizing solitary pulmonary nodules, assessing pleural diseases, and the initial staging, restaging, therapy planning, and monitoring response of lung cancer
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 43:1-21, ix. 2005
..and management of a multitude of pulmonary disorders, including solitary pulmonary nodules, lung cancer, and pleural diseases. While conventional imaging modalities such as chest radiography and CT are considered essential in these ..
- Pathogenesis of pleural fibrosis
Steven E Mutsaers
Centre for Asthma, Allergy and Respiratory Research, University of Western Australia, Australia
Respirology 9:428-40. 2004
- The role of positron emission tomography/computed tomography in the diagnosis of pleural diseases
Thoracic Surgery, Maltepe University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 57:217-21. 2009
..assess the role of F-18 fluoro-2-D-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography ( (18)FDG-PET)/computed tomography (CT) in patients with undiagnosed pleural diseases and to compare the findings with those of invasive diagnostic procedures.
- [Trichomonas tenax in pulmonary and pleural diseases]
Service de Reanimation Polyvalente, Hôpital Font Pré, Toulon
Presse Med 34:1371-2. 2005
..Trichomonas is a protozoan rarely incriminated in pulmonary or pleural disorders...
- Empyema and bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy: factors affecting incidence
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 72:243-7; discussion 248. 2001
..Factors affecting the incidence of empyema and bronchopleural fistula (BPF) after pneumonectomy were analyzed...
- Bronchial stump reinforcement with the intercostal muscle flap without adverse effects
Department of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery, Kansai Medical University Hospital, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizono cho, Moriguchi, Osaka, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:652-6. 2006
..We also investigated whether harvesting the intercostal muscle flap leads to an increase in blood loss during surgery and whether the type of flap influences chest-tube volume and pain after surgery...
- Benign asbestos pleural diseases
Stephen J Chapman
Osler Chest Unit, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK, and Department of Medicine, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Curr Opin Pulm Med 9:266-71. 2003
..Although much attention is devoted to malignant diseases induced by asbestos, benign asbestos pleural diseases (pleural plaques, benign asbestos-related pleural effusion, diffuse pleural thickening, and rounded ..
- Syndrome of pleural and retrosternal "bridging" fibrosis and retroperitoneal fibrosis in patients with asbestos exposure
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Lyon I University, Louis Pradel Hospital, Department of Respiratory Diseases Reference Center for Orphan Lung Disorders, Lyon, France
Thorax 63:177-9. 2008
..These cases represent an unusual new presentation of pleural and retrosternal fibrosis extending beyond the anatomical structures and associated with retroperitoneal fibrosis...
- Healing of bronchopleural fistula using a modified Dumon stent: a case report
Giorgio Maria Ferraroli
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano MI, Italy
J Cardiothorac Surg 1:16. 2006
..Bronchopleural fistula following lung resection is a therapeutic challenge for thoracic surgeons...
- Asbestos: when the dust settles an imaging review of asbestos-related disease
Huw D Roach
Department of Radiology, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW, United Kingdom
Radiographics 22:S167-84. 2002
..CT can help identify the disease in its early stages. Asbestos-related cancers can occur anywhere in the lungs. Recognition of the clinical, radiologic, and pathologic features of these diseases will be important for some years to come...
- Asbestos exposure and benign asbestos diseases in 772 formerly exposed workers: dose-response relationships
Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Am J Ind Med 52:596-602. 2009
- Mesothelioma and asbestos-related pleural diseases
Service d ncologie Thoracique, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Respiration 76:1-15. 2008
..The aim of this review is to provide an overview of asbestos-related pleural diseases. We summarized the most relevant data for the diagnosis and the management of benign asbestos pleural ..
- Four-step local anesthesia and sedation for thoracoscopic diagnosis and management of pleural diseases
Section of General Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Chest 121:2032-5. 2002
..Most thoracic surgeons perform thoracoscopy under general anesthesia using a double-lumen endotracheal tube. We describe our own technique for performing thoracoscopy under local anesthesia and sedation...
- Feasibility of a screening programme for lung cancer in former asbestos workers
Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Occup Med (Lond) 58:175-80. 2008
..Low-dose computed tomography (CT) has been found to detect more Stage IA lung cancer than chest x-ray...
- Intractable pneumothorax due to bronchopleural fistula after radiofrequency ablation of lung tumors
Department of Radiology, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:141-5. 2007
..Although it is rare, with an incidence of 0.6% (2/334) at our institution, intractable pneumothorax due to bronchopleural fistula should be recognized as a risk associated with radiofrequency ablation of lung tumors...
- Idiopathic pleuroparenchymal fibroelastosis: an unrecognized or misdiagnosed entity?
Christian D Becker
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Mod Pathol 21:784-7. 2008
..Only with better understanding of this disease can we hope in the future to be able to offer treatments other than supportive care and ultimately lung transplantation, which are the only therapeutic options available today...
- Pleuroparenchymal fibroelastosis in patients with pulmonary disease secondary to bone marrow transplantation
Jan H von der Thüsen
Department of Histopathology, Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Mod Pathol 24:1633-9. 2011
- Pleural plaques and exposure to mineral fibres in a male urban necropsy population
Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Occup Environ Med 51:456-60. 1994
..Due to methodological difficulties in detecting past exposures to chrysotile and such low exposures that may still pose a risk of plaques, the aetiologic fractions calculated in the study probably underestimate the role of asbestos...
- Bronchial stump coverage with a pedicled pericardial flap: an effective method for prevention of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ann Thorac Surg 79:284-8. 2005
..Bronchopleural fistula is a serious complication after pneumonectomy. The aim of this retrospective study was to investigate the efficacy of bronchial stump reinforcement with a pedicled flap of whole pericardium...
- Asbestos-related pleural disease due to tremolite associated with progressive loss of lung function: serial observations in 123 miners, family members, and residents of Libby, Montana
Alan C Whitehouse
Klock and Whitehouse P S, Spokane, Washington 99201, USA
Am J Ind Med 46:219-25. 2004
..The community of Libby, Montana has recently been the focus of national attention secondary to widespread amphibole contamination associated with vermiculite mining and processing...
- [Is endoscopic treatment of bronchopleural fistula useful?]
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital Universitario Puerta de Hierro, Madrid, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 42:394-8. 2006
..New endoscopic techniques have been developed as an alternative to surgical treatment of bronchopleural fistula. The objective of this study was to analyze our experience with endoscopic treatment of such fistulas...
- Ultraflex expandable metallic stent for the treatment of a bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy
Carlos Enrique García Franco
Ann Thorac Surg 79:386. 2005
- Modified Dumon stent for the treatment of a bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy
Department of Surgery, Sasebo Kyohsai Hospital, Sasebo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 75:290-2. 2003
..Resuturing of the right main bronchial stump, endoscopic treatment, and repair using a latissimus dorsi muscle flap were not effective. Consequently we placed a modified Dumon stent in the carina, which effectively closed the stump...
- Eloesser procedure for postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula
Jon D Halling
Department of Surgery, Saint Louis University Health Sciences Center, 3635 Vista Ave at Grand Blvd, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Surg 187:100-1. 2004
- [A postoperative bronchopleural fistule--a success of the conservative treatment (a case review)]
Chirurgická klinika Fakultní nemocnice v Plzni
Rozhl Chir 84:346-9. 2005
..20 months following the closure of the fistule, the patient shows no signs of a relapse of the disorder...
- eComment: Pedicled pericardial flap for prevention of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula. A safe alternative
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Theagenio Cancer Hospital, A Simeonidi 2, Thessaloniki 55535, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:642. 2008
- Thoracoscopic management of postpneumonectomy empyema
Thoracic Department, Institut Mutualiste Montsouris, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 78:273-6. 2004
..Aggressive surgical treatments are usually applied. However, a minimally invasive approach might achieve satisfactory results in selected patients...
- Pneumonectomy for nontuberculous mycobacterial infections
Section of Chest Surgery, Fukujuji Hospital, 3 1 24 Matsuyama, Kiyose, Tokyo 204 8522, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 78:399-403. 2004
..However, this procedure carries high morbidity. We report on our experience in using pneumonectomy for treating patients with nontuberculous mycobacterial infections...
- [Surgical prophylactics of bronchopleural fistulas after lung resection and pneumonectomies]
D A Chichevatov
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 163:125-7. 2004
- Split-thickness skin-grafting the post-Clagett pleurostomy cavity
Raman C Mahabir
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta
Can J Surg 47:300-1. 2004
- Late postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula
1st Department of Thoracic Surgery, General Hospital for Chest Diseases SOTIRIA, Athens, Greece
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 52:298-301. 2004
..However, the development of late PBPF is a serious complication characterized by high morbidity and mortality. We present our modest experience in treating 11 patients with late PBPF using the transsternal transpericardial approach...
- eComment: Manual closure of bronchial stump during pneumonectomy: an obsolete method for only selective cases
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Patras University School of Medicine, 26500 Rio Patras, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:641-2. 2008
- eComment: Routine or selective reinforcement of bronchial stump after pneumonectomy?
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital of Patras, 22500 Rion Patras, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:625. 2008
- Completion pneumonectomy for chronic mycobacterial disease
J Timothy Sherwood
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colo, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:1258-65. 2005
..We report our experience with completion pneumonectomy as part of a multidisciplinary treatment program for patients with recurrent, persistent mycobacterial disease...
- Bronchopleural fistula treated with a covered wallstent
Nicola C Jones
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Western Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 81:364-6. 2006
..We report the successful treatment of a bronchopleural fistula after right pneumonectomy for lung cancer, using a covered esophageal stent...
- Free rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap for chronic postoperative empyema
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Shanghai Tongji University, Shanghai, China
Ann Thorac Surg 85:2147-9. 2008
..Free rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap transplantation is safe and effective in the management of chronic postoperative empyema with bronchopleural fistula...
- Closure of a bronchopleural fistula after extended right pneumonectomy after induction chemotherapy with BioGlue surgical adhesive
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Guy s Hospital and King s College, London, United Kingdom
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:1497-8. 2006
- A completion sleeve bilobectomy for nonstump postlobectomy bronchopleural fistula
Abdel Mohsen Hamad
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardiologic, Thoracic and Vascular Sciences, University of Padua, Padova, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 85:2112-4. 2008
..The patient's postoperative course was uneventful, and follow-up bronchoscopy showed an intact healed anastomosis...
- The posterior membranous flap technique for bronchial closure after pneumonectomy
Department of Thoracic Surgery, G Hatzikosta General Hospital of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:638-41. 2008
..This bronchial closure technique offers a safe method of prevention of bronchopleural fistula...
- Analysis of risk factors for postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistulas in patients with lung cancer
Department of Surgery, Nippon Medical School Musashi Kosugi Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 73:314-9. 2006
..Bronchopleural fistula is a potentially fatal complication of pulmonary resections, especially pneumonectomy...
- Postoperative residual pleural spaces: characteristics and natural history
Thoracic Surgical Department, SOTIRIA General Hospital for Chest Diseases, Athens, Greece
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 15:54-8. 2007
..Postresectional residual pleural spaces of small size without any associated complications should not prolong hospitalization time...
- Interventional closure of postpneumonectomy bronchial pleural fistula with a self-expandable double umbrella-shaped occluder knitted with nitinol shape memory alloy
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The Second Hospital of Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:531-3. 2007
- Are bronchoscopic approaches to post-pneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula an effective alternative to repeat thoracotomy?
The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Level 9, The Western Infirmary, Dumbarton Road, Glasgow G11 6NT, UK
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 6:547-50. 2007
..Bronchoscopic treatment has so far only been reported in small case series but may offer further treatment options in patients too unwell to undergo re-thoracotomy...
- Complications of extrapleural pneumonectomy
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 19:355-9. 2007
..We have drawn upon our single-institution experience to describe the most common source of morbidity following EPP and to offer successful interventions...
- Current application of thoracoscopy in children
Department of Surgery, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 18:131-5. 2008
..Our experience with thoracoscopy has expanded in recent years. Therefore, we reviewed our most recent 7-year experience to examine the current applications for thoracoscopy in children...
- Clinical characteristics and outcomes of empyema thoracis in 117 patients: a comparative analysis of tuberculous vs. non-tuberculous aetiologies
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160012, India
Respir Med 101:423-30. 2007
..We performed a prospective study over a 2-year period with the objective of comparing the clinical characteristics and outcomes of patients with tuberculous vs. non-tuberculous empyema...
- Bronchopleural fistula treatment with use of a bronchial stent-graft occluder
Ki Hong Kim
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Republic of Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 17:1539-43. 2006
..The BPFs were successfully occluded without complications, and the stent-graft occluders remained stable in position for 1 year and 6 months of follow-up, respectively...
- Early surgical results after pneumonectomy for non-small cell lung cancer are not affected by preoperative radiotherapy and chemotherapy
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Ann Thorac Surg 86:376-82. 2008
..Patients who underwent pneumonectomy for NSCLC were evaluated for effect of neoadjuvant treatment on mortality and morbidity, especially bronchopleural fistula...
- [V.A.C.-treatment: a new approach to the management of septic complications in thoracic surgery]
Klinische Abteilung für Thorax und Hyperbare Chirurgie, Universitatsklinik fur Chirurgie, Medizinische Universitat Graz, Osterreich
Zentralbl Chir 131:S139-40. 2006
- A novel approach: treatment of bronchial stump fistula with a plugged, bullet-shaped, angled stent
Department of Radiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Zheng Zhou, China
Ann Thorac Surg 81:1867-71. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the initial clinical efficacy of a plugged, bullet-shaped, angled stent for managing bronchial stump fistula...
- Postoperative ischemic change in bronchial stumps after primary lung cancer resection
Department of Thoracic Surgical Oncology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, 3 10 6 Ariake, Koto ku, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:172-6. 2006
..We have reviewed our experience with ischemic changes in bronchial stumps, some of which resulted in BPFs (we term this postoperative ischemic bronchitis (POIB)) and studied predisposing factors...
- Preoperative serum fibrinogen level predicts postoperative pulmonary complications after lung cancer resection
Suk Won Song
Cancer Biostatistics Branch, Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Gyeonggi, Korea
Ann Thorac Surg 81:1974-81. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to identify the factors associated with postoperative pulmonary complications in patients undergoing lung cancer resection and to determine the effect of PPCs on survival...
- Sleeve pneumonectomy for lung cancer--survival and complications (single-center experience with 42 patients)
Institute for Lung Diseases, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Acta Chir Belg 107:515-22. 2007
..Sleeve pneumonectomy is challenging both from the technical and oncological standpoint. The benefit of induction treatment is still under investigation...
- Do expandable metallic airway stents have a role in the management of patients with benign tracheobronchial disease?
Brendan P Madden
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St George s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 82:274-8. 2006
..Although these devices have an important role in malignant disease their usefulness in benign large airway disorders is less defined...
- Postpneumonectomy empyema: results after the Clagett procedure
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:279-86; discussion 286-7. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to analyze our experience with the management of patients with postpneumonectomy empyema treated by the Clagett procedure...
- Predictors of successful closure of open window thoracostomy for postpneumonectomy empyema
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, E Morelli Regional Hospital, Sondalo, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 82:288-92. 2006
..Although the open window thoracostomy (OWT) represents the ideal method for drainage of postpneumonectomy empyema (PPE), several controversies exist concerning its closure...
- Bronchoscopic treatment of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula with a collagen screw plug
Department of Bioartificial Organs, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:99-104. 2006
..We have designed a novel procedure for bronchoscopic occlusion of the fistula with a collagen screw plug and assessed its feasibility in an experimental animal model...
- Pneumonectomy after high-dose radiation and concurrent chemotherapy for nonsmall cell lung cancer
Benedict D T Daly
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Boston Medical Center and Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:227-31. 2006
..Additionally, the safety of right pneumonectomy after induction therapy has been questioned. The feasibility of pneumonectomy after high-dose radiotherapy and concurrent chemotherapy is reviewed...
- [Occlusion of a post-pneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula using the Dumon stent]
Chirurgická klinika 2 LF UK a FN Motol, Praha
Rozhl Chir 80:339-42. 2001
..At the same time, based on assembled experience, the authors draw attention to the possible use of a stent...
- Simultaneous bronchopleural and esophagopleural fistulas after pneumonectomy
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 74:923-4. 2002
..Endoscopic examination performed 1 month after surgery showed complete closure of both fistulas and 9 months after surgery the patient was eating and gaining weight. The patient's death was due to aspiration pneumonia of another origin...
- Radiographic and CT findings in complications following pulmonary resection
Eun A Kim
Department of Radiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Ilwon Dong, Kangnam Ku, Seoul 135 710, Korea
Radiographics 22:67-86. 2002
..Therefore, knowledge of the diverse radiologic appearances of these complications as well as familiarity with the clinical settings in which specific complications are likely to occur are vital for prompt, effective treatment...
- Transparasternal transpericardial operation in the treatment of chronic empyema with bronchopleural fistula
Department of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Surgery, Tottori Prefectural Central Hospital, 730 Ezu, Tottori 680 0901, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 50:246-8. 2002
..This approach is safe and effective in great vessel and bronchus dissection and applicable to cases of persistent chronic empyema such as our...
- The incidence, etiology, and prevention of postresectional bronchopleural fistula
R J Cerfolio
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 13:3-7. 2001
..Survival of BPF depends on a high index of suspicion, early diagnosis, and aggressive surgical intervention...
- An unusual case of pneumorrhachis following resection of lung carcinoma
Ross L Ristagno
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Chest 121:1712-4. 2002
..Following a sudden resolution of subcutaneous emphysema, an epidural air collection developed. Spontaneous pneumorrhachis is a previously unreported late complication after surgical or radiation therapy for lung carcinoma...
- Delayed closure of persistent postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula
Dale K Mueller
Illinois Cardiac Surgery Associates and University of Illinois College of Medicine at OSF St Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL 61603, USA
Chest 121:1703-4. 2002
..He underwent primary closure of the bronchopleural fistula with latissimus dorsi muscle flap coverage after antibiotic therapy for right lower lobe pneumonia...
- [Bronchopleural fistula after anatomic pulmonary resection]
Ustav tuberkulózy, plúcnych chorôb a hrudníkovej chirurgie, Centrum hrudníkovej chirurgie, riaditeĺ a primár oddelenia
Rozhl Chir 81:116-20. 2002
..The authors evaluate in a retrospective study the incidence of bronchopleural fistulae after lung resections implemented in their department in the course of 12 years, and reflect on the causes of their development...
- Endobronchial neodymium:yttrium-aluminum garnet laser for noninvasive closure of small proximal bronchopleural fistula after lung resection
Department of Surgery II, Nagoya City University Medical School, Mizuho, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 73:945-8; discussion 948-9. 2002
..Bronchopleural fistula (BPF) is a serious complication of lung resection. The management of persistent BPF is one of the most complex challenges encountered by thoracic surgeons...
- Transsternal transpericardial closure of a postlobectomy bronchopleural fistula
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Ann Thorac Surg 73:635-6. 2002
..The patient had undergone four different surgical procedures to correct his bronchopleural fistula during an interval of seven years. Finally, he had a successful closure of the fistula using the transsternal transpericardial approach...
- Management of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural-cutaneous fistula with a single free flap
Joseph A Molnar
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1075, USA
Ann Plast Surg 48:88-91. 2002
..Surgical technique including anastomosis to the innominate vein is described...
- Bronchopleural fistula prevention after major pulmonary resection for primary lung cancer
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:160. 2002
- Management of bronchopleural fistula after lobectomy
W A Cooper
Emory Clinic, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Section of General Thoracic Surgery, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 13:8-12. 2001
..Evaluation of the patient with a bronchopleural fistula should proceed in a logical, stepwise manner form diagnosis to pulmonary rehabilitation...
- Management of postpneumonectomy empyema and bronchopleural fistula
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905 USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 13:13-9. 2001
..Excellent results can be obtained in more than 80% of patients by using the Clagett procedure and intrathoracic muscle transposition when a BPF is present...
- Endobronchial closure of postoperative bronchopleural fistula using vascular occluding coils and n-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate
Department of Respirology, Kishiwada City Hospital, Kishiwada City, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 74:2174-6. 2002
..Finally, the bronchopleural fistula was successfully treated by endobronchial closure using vascular occluding coils and n-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate (Histoacryl)...
- Closure of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula by means of single, perforator-based, latissimus dorsi muscle flap
Edmund C K Chan
Divisions of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 124:1235-6. 2002
- eComment: The latissimus dorsi flap surgery for bronchus stump insufficiency - an alternative?
Plastic, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Hannover 30625, Germany
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:642. 2008
- Intraoperative solumedrol helps prevent postpneumonectomy pulmonary edema
Robert J Cerfolio
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1029-33; discussion 1033-5. 2003
..We theorized that an intraoperative dose of intravenous steroids (as a prophylactic measure to reduce pulmonary injury to the remaining lung) just before pulmonary artery ligation might decrease this problem...
- Risk factors for bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy: stump size does matter
P H Hollaus
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Otto Wagner Hospital, Vienna
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 51:162-6. 2003
..Side- and sex-related differences were analysed to explain the occurrence of bronchopleural fistula (BPF) after pneumonectomy on the right-hand side in men...
- A new method for detection of postpneumonectomy broncho-pleural fistulas
Unité de Chirurgie Thoracique, Hotel Dieu, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1662-4. 2003
..In 20 control patients the test was carried out 48 hours after pneumonectomy. Both the O2 and the N2O test were negative in all cases. However, in 2 patients with broncho-pleural fistula both the O2 and the N2O tests were positive...
- [Applications and uses of pleurography in patients with spontaneous pneumothorax]
P L Bolcskei
Abteilung fur Pneumologie, Städtisches Klinikum Nürnberg
Pneumologie 44:186-7. 1990
..By preparing a differentiated therapeutic means, it was possible to appreciably reduce the recurrence rate of pneumothorax from 41% to 22%...
- Bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 172:13-5. 2003
..Bronchopleural fistula (BPF) is an infrequent but life-threatening complication after lung resection. The incidence of BPF reported in the literature varies between 0 and 15%...
- [Malignant pleural diseases: diagnosis and treatment]
Institute of Oncology, Vilnius University, Santariskiu 1, 08660 Vilnius, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 44:929-35. 2008
To evaluate efficacy of diagnostic procedures, results of surgery, and complications in malignant pleural diseases.
- Minimally invasive approaches for histological diagnosis of anterior mediastinal masses
Wen tao Fang
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Shanghai Chest Hospital, Shanghai, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:675-9. 2007
..We reported a prospective study comparing the usefulness of core needle biopsy and mini-mediastinotomy under local anesthesia for histological diagnosis in anterior mediastinal masses...
- [Current value of intrapleural fibrinolysis in the treatment of exudative fibrinous pleural effusions in pleural empyema and hemothorax]
Fachkrankenhaus Kloster Grafschaft, , Beatmungs- und Schlafmedizin, Schmallenberg
Pneumologie 53:373-84. 1999
..The great differences in success rates are due to variations in the pleural diseases and stages of the clinical course, different success criteria, different dosages of fibrinolytic agents, ..
- 18-FDG positron emission tomography in the evaluation of malignant pleural diseases - a pilot study
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University of Milan, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Via Olgettina, 60 20132, Milan, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 17:377-83. 2000
The diagnostic approach to pleural diseases may be difficult...
- Efficacy and safety of iodopovidone pleurodesis in malignant pleural effusions
Jose D A Neto
Department of Thoracic Surgery of Hospital Aristides Maltez, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Respirology 15:115-8. 2010
..In recent studies of a wide range of pleural diseases, iodopovidone was used as a sclerosing agent for pleurodesis and demonstrated good results with low morbidity...