Summary: An abnormal passage or communication between a bronchus and another part of the body.
Publications205 found, 100 shown here
- Current application of thoracoscopy in childrenKuoJen Tsao
Department of Surgery, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 18:131-5. 2008..Our experience with thoracoscopy has expanded in recent years. Therefore, we reviewed our most recent 7-year experience to examine the current applications for thoracoscopy in children...
- Bronchial fistula associated with sunitinib in a patient previously treated with radiation therapyDamien Basille
Centre Hospitalier Saint Quentin, Saint Quentin, France
Ann Pharmacother 44:383-6. 2010To report a case of bronchial fistula associated with sunitinib in a patient previously treated with radiation therapy.
- Thoracic rupture of hepatic hydatidosis (123 cases)E H Kabiri
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ibn Sina University Hospital, Rabat, Morocco
Ann Thorac Surg 72:1883-6. 2001..Pulmonary complications result from the proximity of hydatid cysts in the liver and the diaphragm...
- Bronchopleural fistula after radiofrequency ablation of lung tumoursMathieu Cannella
Department of Interventional Radiology, Institut Bergonie, Regional Cancer Center, 229 Cours de l Argonne, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 34:S171-4. 2011..Our goal is to highlight the fact that BPF can occur without needle-track coagulation and to suggest that minimally invasive treatment is sufficient to cure BPFs of this specific origin...
- Emergency use of an endobronchial one-way valve in the management of severe air leak and massive subcutaneous emphysemaMuhanned Abu-Hijleh
Department of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, The Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Lung 188:253-7. 2010..The valves selectively block inspiratory airflow to a specific segmental or subsegmental airway but allow expiratory flow with drainage of air and secretions from the corresponding distal airways and lung parenchyma...
- Intractable bronchopleural fistula caused by radiofrequency ablation: endoscopic bronchial occlusion with silicone embolic materialH Kodama
Departments of Radiology Thoracic Surgery, Mie University School of Medicine, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Br J Radiol 82:e225-7. 2009..Despite chest drainage for 1 month, air leakage continued through a bronchopleural fistula. Bronchial occlusion was performed with a silicone embolus, causing cessation of the air leakage...
- The use of a Dumon stent for the treatment of a bronchopleural fistulaS Watanabe
Second Department of Surgery, Kagoshima University Faculty of Medicine, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 72:276-8. 2001..Consequently, we placed a Dumon stent in the right main bronchus to close the stump...
- Management of acquired bronchobiliary fistula: 3 case reports and a literature reviewHatice Eryigit
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Sureyyapasa Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Teaching and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Cardiothorac Surg 2:52. 2007..This paper presents 3 cases of BBF and reviews the literature regarding the treatment options generally mandated by clinical presentation and the underlying disease...
- Bronchopleural fistulas: an overview of the problem with special focus on endoscopic managementManuel Lois
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, University Hospital AZ VUB, 101, Laarbeeklaan, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Chest 128:3955-65. 2005..Therapeutic success has been variable, and the lack of consensus suggests that no optimal therapy is available; rather, the current therapeutic options seem to be complementary, and the treatment should be individualized...
- Aorto-bronchial fistula following aortic and bronchial stenting of a thoracic aneurysmAyman Abdul-Ghani
The Cardiothoracic Center NHS Trust, Thomas Drive, Liverpool L14 3PE, United Kingdom
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:419-21. 2006..This resulted in further bronchial compression which was also stented. An aorto-bronchial fistula resulting in severe haemoptysis occurred a few weeks later...
- Bronchobiliary fistula after radiofrequency thermal ablation of hepatic tumorYoung Sun Kim
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, College of Medicine, Hanyang University, 17 Haengdang dong, Sungdong gu, Seoul 133 792, Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:407-10. 2005..Symptomatic improvement was achieved by conservative management with an external drainage catheter, but the fistula was still persistent on a 2-month follow-up image...
- Multifactorial dysphagia complicated by esophago-bronchial fistulaJulie Sebastian
Department of Medicine, Kottayam Medical College, Kerala, India
J Cancer Res Ther 3:108-10. 2007..A case of longstanding dysphagia resulting from dysphagia aortica later developing an esophageal malignancy complicated by esophago-bronchial fistula is outlined in this unique case report.
- Successful endoscopic management of bronchobiliary fistula due to radiofrequency ablationThomas Tran
Section of Gastroenterology, the Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Dig Dis Sci 52:3178-80. 2007
- Successful conservative management of benign gastro-bronchial fistula after intrathoracic esophagogastrostomyDavide Bona
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Division of General Surgery, I R C C S Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1036-8. 2007Benign gastro-bronchial fistula is a rare and devastating complication of esophagectomy with gastric replacement...
- Gastrobronchial fistula repair followed by esophageal leak--rescue by transesophageal drainage of the pleural cavityP P Brega Massone
Oncologic Thoracic Surgery Department, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milano, Italy
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 50:113-6. 2002..Fistula closure was attempted by implanting a Wilson-Cook endoprosthesis, which quickly became dislodged. Transesophageal drainage was positioned endoscopically through the suture-line defect and led to closure of the leak after 10 days...
- Benign gastro-bronchial fistula - an uncommon complication of esophagectomy: case reportMohan P Devbhandari
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, South Manchester University Hospital, NHS Trust, Southmoor Road, Wythenshawe, Manchester, M23 9LT, UK
BMC Surg 5:16. 2005Gastro-bronchial fistula (GBF) is a rare and devastating complication following esophagectomy. Making the correct diagnosis is difficult and there is no agreement on the treatment for this rare condition.
- Bronchial stump reinforcement with the intercostal muscle flap without adverse effectsTomohiro Maniwa
Department of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery, Kansai Medical University Hospital, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizono cho, Moriguchi, Osaka, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:652-6. 2006..We also investigated whether harvesting the intercostal muscle flap leads to an increase in blood loss during surgery and whether the type of flap influences chest-tube volume and pain after surgery...
- Healing of bronchopleural fistula using a modified Dumon stent: a case reportGiorgio Maria Ferraroli
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano MI, Italy
J Cardiothorac Surg 1:16. 2006..Bronchopleural fistula following lung resection is a therapeutic challenge for thoracic surgeons...
- Empyema and bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy: factors affecting incidenceC Deschamps
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 72:243-7; discussion 248. 2001..Factors affecting the incidence of empyema and bronchopleural fistula (BPF) after pneumonectomy were analyzed...
- Impact of different coverage techniques on incidence of postpneumonectomy stump fistulaW Klepetko
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Vienna, Austria
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 15:758-63. 1999..The aim of this retrospective study was to investigate the effectiveness of different coverage techniques of the bronchial stump applied in a consecutive series of pneumonectomies in avoiding this particular problem...
- Sternobronchial fistula--uncommon complication after coronary surgery (a case report)J Mand'ák
Department of Cardiosurgery, University Teaching Hospital, Hradec Kralove
Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove) 43:29-31. 2000..After some time span an inflamed wound, several skin fistulae and the system of substernal fistulae appeared. One of these fistulae communicated with the left bronchial tree...
- [Esophago-bronchial fistula confirmed with bronchoscopy utilized an indocyanine green]M Kanzaki
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Tokyo Metropolitan Fuchu Hospital, Fuchu, Japan
Kyobu Geka 60:910-4. 2007..She presented progressive moist cough after chemoradiotherapy. Esophagography demonstrated esophago-bronchial fistula (EBF). EBF was not detected by routine broncoscopy...
- A case of aorto-bronchial fistula after insertion of left main bronchial self-expanding metallic stent in a patient with recurrent esophageal cancerHiroshi Onishi
Department of Radiation Oncology, Yamanashi Medical University, 1110 Shimokato Tamaho cho Nakakoma gun Yamanashi, 409 3898, Japan
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 27:288-90. 2004We report a case of aorto-bronchial fistula (ABF) caused by a self expanding metallic stent (EMS) 51 days after insertion into the left main bronchus...
- Bronchial stump coverage with a pedicled pericardial flap: an effective method for prevention of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistulaShahrokh Taghavi
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ann Thorac Surg 79:284-8. 2005..Bronchopleural fistula is a serious complication after pneumonectomy. The aim of this retrospective study was to investigate the efficacy of bronchial stump reinforcement with a pedicled flap of whole pericardium...
- Bronchobiliary fistula evaluated with magnetic resonance imagingA Ragozzino
UOSS RM Body Dipartimento di Radiologia Aorn Cardarelli Napoli, Italy
Acta Radiol 46:452-4. 2005..We present a case of BBF developing after hemihepatectomy in a 74-year-old man treated with endoscopic biliary drainage and illustrate MRCP findings...
- Oesophago-bronchial fistula causing cough and recurrent lower respiratory tract infections in a patient with Crohn's diseaseJ Brittenden
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds LS1 3AX
Hosp Med 66:310-1. 2005
- Intractable pneumothorax due to bronchopleural fistula after radiofrequency ablation of lung tumorsJun Sakurai
Department of Radiology, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:141-5. 2007..Although it is rare, with an incidence of 0.6% (2/334) at our institution, intractable pneumothorax due to bronchopleural fistula should be recognized as a risk associated with radiofrequency ablation of lung tumors...
- [Localized dilatation of the bronchi. A misunderstood etiology of coronaro-bronchial fistula]E Abergel
Clinique de Cardiologie, , Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 83:271-4. 1990..A bronchopulmonary etiology (chronic obstructive airways disease, multiple bullae, bronchiectasis) is less commonly found as the presentation is often atypical...
- Treatment of hydatid bronchobiliary fistulas: 30 years of experienceAdriano Tocchi
First Department of Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza Medical School, Rome, Italy
Liver Int 27:209-14. 2007..Operation is considered the treatment of choice but the most appropriate operation is uncertain. The aim of this study was to evaluate the early and long-term outcomes following different surgical procedures...
- Treatment of postoperative bronchobiliary fistula by nasobiliary drainageV Partrinou
Department of Surgery, University of Patras Medical School, Patras, Greece
Surg Endosc 15:758. 2001..The fistula was successfully closed in a short time. This conservative method reduces the risks of reoperation. Therefore, it should be considered the treatment of choice in the management of bronchobiliary fistula...
- [Is endoscopic treatment of bronchopleural fistula useful?]Gemma Mora
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital Universitario Puerta de Hierro, Madrid, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 42:394-8. 2006..New endoscopic techniques have been developed as an alternative to surgical treatment of bronchopleural fistula. The objective of this study was to analyze our experience with endoscopic treatment of such fistulas...
- Recurrent bronchobiliary fistula: unsuccessful management with repeated insertion of metallic biliary stentSung Il Jung
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 14:1577-9. 2003..Three months after placement of the third stent, jaundice developed and the patient finally underwent a Roux-en-Y choledochojejunostomy...
- Broncho-gastric fistula complicating transthoracic esophagectomyC S Pramesh
Thoracic Surgery Services, Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, India
Dis Esophagus 14:271-3. 2001..Diagnosis was made by fiberoptic bronchoscopy. The patient was successfully treated with re-exploratory thoracotomy and closure of the fistula...
- [Bronchobiliary fistulae between a liver hydatid cyst and the middle lobe of the right lung]J M Moreno Planas
Servicio Aparato Digestivo, Clinica Puerta de Hierro, Madrid
An Med Interna 19:635-6. 2002..We report a case of bronchobiliary fistula between a liver hydatid cyst and the middle lobe of the right lung. It is also reviewed the etiology, pathogenesis, clinical features, diagnosis and treatment of bronchobiliary fistulas...
- Use of a modified Dumon stent for postoperative bronchopleural fistulaHisashi Tsukada
Division of Chest Surgery, Department of Surgery, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1928-30. 2005..Surgical interventions for the bronchopleural fistula with empyema were subsequently avoided. Dumon stent is an acceptable option for the treatment of postoperative bronchopleural fistulas...
- Ultraflex expandable metallic stent for the treatment of a bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomyCarlos Enrique García Franco
Ann Thorac Surg 79:386. 2005
- Bronchogastric fistula successfully treated with the insertion of a covered bronchial stentM J Bennie
Department of Radiology, St Thomas Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, London SE1 9RT, UK
Eur Radiol 13:2222-5. 2003..The successful outcome in this case suggests that this method of treatment should be considered in patients in whom this post-operative complication cannot be managed easily by other means...
- Modified Dumon stent for the treatment of a bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomyKohsuke Tayama
Department of Surgery, Sasebo Kyohsai Hospital, Sasebo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 75:290-2. 2003..Resuturing of the right main bronchial stump, endoscopic treatment, and repair using a latissimus dorsi muscle flap were not effective. Consequently we placed a modified Dumon stent in the carina, which effectively closed the stump...
- Endovascular stent-graft repair of a pulmonary artery-bronchial fistulaBrian D Davison
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 14:929-32. 2003..The patient was successfully treated with endovascular placement of a covered stent...
- Are bronchoscopic approaches to post-pneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula an effective alternative to repeat thoracotomy?Douglas West
The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Level 9, The Western Infirmary, Dumbarton Road, Glasgow G11 6NT, UK
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 6:547-50. 2007..Bronchoscopic treatment has so far only been reported in small case series but may offer further treatment options in patients too unwell to undergo re-thoracotomy...
- Late postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistulaK Athanassiadi
1st Department of Thoracic Surgery, General Hospital for Chest Diseases SOTIRIA, Athens, Greece
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 52:298-301. 2004..However, the development of late PBPF is a serious complication characterized by high morbidity and mortality. We present our modest experience in treating 11 patients with late PBPF using the transsternal transpericardial approach...
- A novel approach: treatment of bronchial stump fistula with a plugged, bullet-shaped, angled stentXinwei Han
Department of Radiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Zheng Zhou, China
Ann Thorac Surg 81:1867-71. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the initial clinical efficacy of a plugged, bullet-shaped, angled stent for managing bronchial stump fistula...
- [V.A.C.-treatment: a new approach to the management of septic complications in thoracic surgery]V Matzi
Klinische Abteilung für Thorax und Hyperbare Chirurgie, Universitatsklinik fur Chirurgie, Medizinische Universitat Graz, Osterreich
Zentralbl Chir 131:S139-40. 2006
- Incidence and management of complications after neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy for malignant pleural mesotheliomaIsabelle Opitz
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:579-84. 2006..To investigate the incidence and management of postoperative complications after neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy for malignant pleural mesothelioma...
- eComment: Routine or selective reinforcement of bronchial stump after pneumonectomy?Efstratios Apostolakis
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital of Patras, 22500 Rion Patras, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:625. 2008
- Bronchopleural fistula treated with a covered wallstentNicola C Jones
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Western Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 81:364-6. 2006..We report the successful treatment of a bronchopleural fistula after right pneumonectomy for lung cancer, using a covered esophageal stent...
- [Surgical prophylactics of bronchopleural fistulas after lung resection and pneumonectomies]D A Chichevatov
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 163:125-7. 2004
- eComment: Pedicled pericardial flap for prevention of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula. A safe alternativeNikolaos Barbetakis
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Theagenio Cancer Hospital, A Simeonidi 2, Thessaloniki 55535, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:642. 2008
- Resistance to pressure of the stump after mechanical stapling or manual suture. An experimental study on sheep main bronchusCorinna Ludwig
Universitatsklinikum Freiburg, Abt Thoraxchirurgie, Freiburg 79106, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:693-6. 2005..The objective of this study was to determine the resistance to pressure of a bronchial stump depending upon the closure technique (manual vs. mechanical) used in sheep 14 days after pneumonectomy...
- Postoperative ischemic change in bronchial stumps after primary lung cancer resectionYukitoshi Satoh
Department of Thoracic Surgical Oncology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, 3 10 6 Ariake, Koto ku, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:172-6. 2006..We have reviewed our experience with ischemic changes in bronchial stumps, some of which resulted in BPFs (we term this postoperative ischemic bronchitis (POIB)) and studied predisposing factors...
- Preoperative serum fibrinogen level predicts postoperative pulmonary complications after lung cancer resectionSuk Won Song
Cancer Biostatistics Branch, Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Gyeonggi, Korea
Ann Thorac Surg 81:1974-81. 2006..The purpose of this study was to identify the factors associated with postoperative pulmonary complications in patients undergoing lung cancer resection and to determine the effect of PPCs on survival...
- Early detection of occult bronchopleural fistula after routine standard pneumonectomyP Misthos
Thoracic Surgical Department, SOTIRIA General Hospital for Chest Diseases, Athens, Greece
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 54:264-7. 2006..The aim of this study was to define symptoms and signs for early diagnosis of occult bronchopleural fistula (OBPF) after routine pneumonectomy...
- [Omentoplasty as a part of complex management of postpneumonectomy empyema with large bronchopleural fistula]J Belak
II chirurgická klinika UPJS LF, FN L Pasteura Kosice, Slovenska republika
Rozhl Chir 86:614-7. 2007....
- A completion sleeve bilobectomy for nonstump postlobectomy bronchopleural fistulaAbdel Mohsen Hamad
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardiologic, Thoracic and Vascular Sciences, University of Padua, Padova, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 85:2112-4. 2008We present a novel approach for treatment of nonstump postlobectomy bronchial fistula. Our patient had right lower lobectomy for T3 N2 M0 adenocarcinoma...
- Interventional closure of postpneumonectomy bronchial pleural fistula with a self-expandable double umbrella-shaped occluder knitted with nitinol shape memory alloyJianhua Zhang
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The Second Hospital of Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:531-3. 2007
- The posterior membranous flap technique for bronchial closure after pneumonectomyJohn Kakadellis
Department of Thoracic Surgery, G Hatzikosta General Hospital of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:638-41. 2008..This bronchial closure technique offers a safe method of prevention of bronchopleural fistula...
- Bronchial stump dehiscence: update on prevention and managementMoishe Liberman
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 19:366-73. 2007..Etiology, risk factors, diagnosis and prevention, as well as current treatment options with an emphasis on surgical repair with muscle flaps are reviewed and discussed...
- Complications of extrapleural pneumonectomyLambros Zellos
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 19:355-9. 2007..We have drawn upon our single-institution experience to describe the most common source of morbidity following EPP and to offer successful interventions...
- Sleeve pneumonectomy for lung cancer--survival and complications (single-center experience with 42 patients)D Subotich
Institute for Lung Diseases, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Acta Chir Belg 107:515-22. 2007..Sleeve pneumonectomy is challenging both from the technical and oncological standpoint. The benefit of induction treatment is still under investigation...
- Carinaplasty airway closure: a technique for right pneumonectomyKenneth A Kesler
Department of Surgery, Cardiothoracic Division, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1178-85; discussion 1185-6. 2008..We reviewed our initial experience with a novel "carinaplasty" airway closure technique aimed at reducing the risks of bronchopleural fistula...
- Bronchopleural fistula repair during Clagett closure utilizing a collagen matrix plugSubroto Paul
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1519-21. 2007..This case report illustrates the utility of collagen plugs to close bronchopleural fistulas...
- A safe and effective method for an immediate bronchopleural fistula repairD Galetta
Division of Thoracic Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Minerva Chir 62:137-9. 2007....
- Free rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap for chronic postoperative empyemaLei Jiang
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Shanghai Tongji University, Shanghai, China
Ann Thorac Surg 85:2147-9. 2008..Free rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap transplantation is safe and effective in the management of chronic postoperative empyema with bronchopleural fistula...
- Pneumonectomy after high-dose radiation and concurrent chemotherapy for nonsmall cell lung cancerBenedict D T Daly
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Boston Medical Center and Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:227-31. 2006..Additionally, the safety of right pneumonectomy after induction therapy has been questioned. The feasibility of pneumonectomy after high-dose radiotherapy and concurrent chemotherapy is reviewed...
- Do expandable metallic airway stents have a role in the management of patients with benign tracheobronchial disease?Brendan P Madden
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St George s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 82:274-8. 2006..Although these devices have an important role in malignant disease their usefulness in benign large airway disorders is less defined...
- Postpneumonectomy empyema: results after the Clagett procedureSalman Zaheer
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:279-86; discussion 286-7. 2006..The purpose of this study was to analyze our experience with the management of patients with postpneumonectomy empyema treated by the Clagett procedure...
- Predictors of successful closure of open window thoracostomy for postpneumonectomy empyemaFabio Massera
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, E Morelli Regional Hospital, Sondalo, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 82:288-92. 2006..Although the open window thoracostomy (OWT) represents the ideal method for drainage of postpneumonectomy empyema (PPE), several controversies exist concerning its closure...
- Bronchoscopic treatment of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula with a collagen screw plugHiroyuki Tao
Department of Bioartificial Organs, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:99-104. 2006..We have designed a novel procedure for bronchoscopic occlusion of the fistula with a collagen screw plug and assessed its feasibility in an experimental animal model...
- Early surgical results after pneumonectomy for non-small cell lung cancer are not affected by preoperative radiotherapy and chemotherapyTomas Gudbjartsson
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Ann Thorac Surg 86:376-82. 2008..Patients who underwent pneumonectomy for NSCLC were evaluated for effect of neoadjuvant treatment on mortality and morbidity, especially bronchopleural fistula...
- Bronchopleural fistula treatment with use of a bronchial stent-graft occluderKi Hong Kim
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Republic of Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 17:1539-43. 2006..The BPFs were successfully occluded without complications, and the stent-graft occluders remained stable in position for 1 year and 6 months of follow-up, respectively...
- Analysis of risk factors for postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistulas in patients with lung cancerShuji Haraguchi
Department of Surgery, Nippon Medical School Musashi Kosugi Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 73:314-9. 2006..Bronchopleural fistula is a potentially fatal complication of pulmonary resections, especially pneumonectomy...
- Endobronchial closure of postoperative bronchopleural fistula using vascular occluding coils and n-butyl-2-cyanoacrylateToshiki Hirata
Department of Respirology, Kishiwada City Hospital, Kishiwada City, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 74:2174-6. 2002..Finally, the bronchopleural fistula was successfully treated by endobronchial closure using vascular occluding coils and n-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate (Histoacryl)...
- Intraoperative solumedrol helps prevent postpneumonectomy pulmonary edemaRobert J Cerfolio
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1029-33; discussion 1033-5. 2003..We theorized that an intraoperative dose of intravenous steroids (as a prophylactic measure to reduce pulmonary injury to the remaining lung) just before pulmonary artery ligation might decrease this problem...
- Bronchopleural fistula in the surgery of non-small cell lung cancer: incidence, risk factors, and managementH Sirbu
Klinik fur Thorax, Herz- und Gefabchirurgie, Georg-August-Universitat Gottingen, Robert Koch Strabe 40, D-37075 Gottingen, Germany
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 7:330-6. 2001..Endoscopic treatment is reserved only for small fistulas associated with poor general condition...
- Endobronchial neodymium:yttrium-aluminum garnet laser for noninvasive closure of small proximal bronchopleural fistula after lung resectionMasanobu Kiriyama
Department of Surgery II, Nagoya City University Medical School, Mizuho, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 73:945-8; discussion 948-9. 2002..Bronchopleural fistula (BPF) is a serious complication of lung resection. The management of persistent BPF is one of the most complex challenges encountered by thoracic surgeons...
- Delayed closure of persistent postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistulaDale K Mueller
Illinois Cardiac Surgery Associates and University of Illinois College of Medicine at OSF St Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL 61603, USA
Chest 121:1703-4. 2002..He underwent primary closure of the bronchopleural fistula with latissimus dorsi muscle flap coverage after antibiotic therapy for right lower lobe pneumonia...
- Risk factors for bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy: stump size does matterP H Hollaus
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Otto Wagner Hospital, Vienna
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 51:162-6. 2003..Side- and sex-related differences were analysed to explain the occurrence of bronchopleural fistula (BPF) after pneumonectomy on the right-hand side in men...
- An unusual case of pneumorrhachis following resection of lung carcinomaRoss L Ristagno
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Chest 121:1712-4. 2002..Following a sudden resolution of subcutaneous emphysema, an epidural air collection developed. Spontaneous pneumorrhachis is a previously unreported late complication after surgical or radiation therapy for lung carcinoma...
- Transparasternal transpericardial operation in the treatment of chronic empyema with bronchopleural fistulaKeisuke Morimoto
Department of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Surgery, Tottori Prefectural Central Hospital, 730 Ezu, Tottori 680 0901, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 50:246-8. 2002..This approach is safe and effective in great vessel and bronchus dissection and applicable to cases of persistent chronic empyema such as our...
- Bronchopleural fistula prevention after major pulmonary resection for primary lung cancerR Bazzocchi
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:160. 2002
- Bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomyH Javadpour
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 172:13-5. 2003..Bronchopleural fistula (BPF) is an infrequent but life-threatening complication after lung resection. The incidence of BPF reported in the literature varies between 0 and 15%...
- Simultaneous bronchopleural and esophagopleural fistulas after pneumonectomyWalid Trigui
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 74:923-4. 2002..Endoscopic examination performed 1 month after surgery showed complete closure of both fistulas and 9 months after surgery the patient was eating and gaining weight. The patient's death was due to aspiration pneumonia of another origin...
- Closure of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula by means of single, perforator-based, latissimus dorsi muscle flapEdmund C K Chan
Divisions of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 124:1235-6. 2002
- A favorable way to close the bronchus in pneumonectomyArpad Peterffy
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1070. 2003
- [Occlusion of a post-pneumonectomy bronchopleural fistula using the Dumon stent]R Pospisil
Chirurgická klinika 2 LF UK a FN Motol, Praha
Rozhl Chir 80:339-42. 2001..At the same time, based on assembled experience, the authors draw attention to the possible use of a stent...
- Endoscopic closure of bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy by submucosal injection of polidocanolRyuzo Kanno
Department of Surgery 1, Fukushima Medical University, 1 Hikarigaoka, Fukushima 960 1295, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 50:30-3. 2002..The sclerotherapy and application of cyanoacrylate are not only technically easy, but also very effective for treatment of bronchopleural fistula. Sclerotherapy and cyanoacrylate may be advocated as a first therapeutic step...
- Closure of large intrathoracic airway defects using extrathoracic muscle flapsAntoine J H Meyer
Thoracic Surgery Unit, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 77:397-404; discussion 405. 2004....
- Pneumonectomy for nontuberculous mycobacterial infectionsYuji Shiraishi
Section of Chest Surgery, Fukujuji Hospital, 3 1 24 Matsuyama, Kiyose, Tokyo 204 8522, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 78:399-403. 2004..However, this procedure carries high morbidity. We report on our experience in using pneumonectomy for treating patients with nontuberculous mycobacterial infections...
- Thoracoscopic management of postpneumonectomy empyemaDominique Gossot
Thoracic Department, Institut Mutualiste Montsouris, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 78:273-6. 2004..Aggressive surgical treatments are usually applied. However, a minimally invasive approach might achieve satisfactory results in selected patients...
- Management of postpneumonectomy empyema and bronchopleural fistulaC Deschamps
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905 USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 13:13-9. 2001..Excellent results can be obtained in more than 80% of patients by using the Clagett procedure and intrathoracic muscle transposition when a BPF is present...
- Management of postpneumonectomy bronchopleural-cutaneous fistula with a single free flapJoseph A Molnar
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1075, USA
Ann Plast Surg 48:88-91. 2002..Surgical technique including anastomosis to the innominate vein is described...
- [Bronchiectasis with bronchopleural fistula]H Heyenga
Pneumologie 46:487-90. 1992..Due to the bronchopleural fistula in the middle lobe we decided to perform an operation despite left-sided bronchiectases and in spite of the obstructive airways disease...
- Radiographic and CT findings in complications following pulmonary resectionEun A Kim
Department of Radiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Ilwon Dong, Kangnam Ku, Seoul 135 710, Korea
Radiographics 22:67-86. 2002..Therefore, knowledge of the diverse radiologic appearances of these complications as well as familiarity with the clinical settings in which specific complications are likely to occur are vital for prompt, effective treatment...
- Transsternal transpericardial closure of a postlobectomy bronchopleural fistulaYael Refaely
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Ann Thorac Surg 73:635-6. 2002..The patient had undergone four different surgical procedures to correct his bronchopleural fistula during an interval of seven years. Finally, he had a successful closure of the fistula using the transsternal transpericardial approach...
- Pneumonectomy: historical perspective and prospective insightPierre Antoine Fuentes
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ste Marguerite Hospital CHU Sud, 270 Bd Ste Marguerite, 13274 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:439-45. 2003
- Current indications and results for thoracoplasty and intrathoracic muscle transpositionAthanase Krassas
Thoracic Surgery Department, Georges Pompidou European Hospital and Paris Descartes University, 20 40 rue Leblanc, 75015 Paris, France
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 37:1215-20. 2010..Our purpose is to retrospectively study the remaining indications and the evolving modifications of this ancient technique in our current surgical practice...
- [Antibiotic and antiseptic prophylaxis in thoracic surgery. Controlled study]J F Regnard
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique et Vasculaire, Centre Chirurgical Marie Lannelongue, Le Plessis Robinson
Pathol Biol (Paris) 37:477-80. 1989..in the overall infection rate was observed between the 2 groups, there were 9 empyemas (5 of those with bronchial fistula) in group I and 3 empyemas (2 of those with bronchial fistula) in group II...
- Modified technique for thoracomyoplasty after posterolateral thoracotomyW Schreiner
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Friedrich Alexander University, Erlangen, Germany
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 58:98-101. 2010....
- Management of cystic echinococcosis complications and dissemination: where is the evidence?Chadli Dziri
General Surgery B, Hopital Charles Nicolle, Bd 9 avril 1938, 1006, Tunis, Tunisia
World J Surg 33:1266-73. 2009..Cystic echinococcosis of the lung: Surgery is still the main therapeutic option to remove the cyst, suture bronchial fistula if necessary, followed by capitonnage. Osseous cystic echinococcosis: Wide surgical excision is recommended...
- Endovascular management of pseudo-aneurysms after previous surgical repair of congenital aortic coarctationBertrand Marcheix
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Montreal Heart Institute, 5000 Belanger Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:1004-7. 2007..We report our experience of endovascular management of pseudo-aneurysms after previous surgical repair of congenital aortic coarctation...
- Close relationship between the bronchi and pulmonary veins: implications for the prevention of atriobronchial fistula after atrial fibrillation ablationMei Han Wu
Division of Cardiology Radiology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 18:1056-9. 2007Atrio-bronchial fistula (ABF) can be a rare but potentially lethal complication following the catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation (AF)...
- SURFACTANT AND TUBERCULOSIS PATHOGENESISJ Ferguson; Fiscal Year: 2002..tb and the host, and for the principal investigator to become an accomplished independent biomedical investigator. ..
- MODULATION OF OXIDANT INJURY BY FGF-10Daya Upadhyay; Fiscal Year: 2003..My proposed work will enable me to understand the molecular and biological basis of the pathophysiology of acute respiratory distress syndrome and pulmonary fibrosis. ..
- Effect of NSAIDs on risk of Incident Lung Cancer: a cohort studyChristopher Slatore; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..