Summary: Infections in birds and mammals produced by various species of Trichomonas.
Publications179 found, 100 shown here
- High rates of Trichomonas vaginalis among men attending a sexually transmitted diseases clinic: implications for screening and urethritis managementJane R Schwebke
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
J Infect Dis 188:465-8. 2003..The prevalence of these pathogens was 17%, 19.6%, and 17.7% respectively. In men with NGU, 19.9% were infected with trichomonas. These data have implications for treatment of NGU and control of trichomoniasis...
- Prevalence of Trichomonas gallinae in northern goshawks from the Berlin area of northeastern GermanyOliver Krone
Institute for Zoo and Wildlife Research, PF 601103, D 10252 Berlin, Germany
J Wildl Dis 41:304-9. 2005..It is suggested that the combination of a high prevalence of T. gallinae with a low rate of pathologicic changes is the result of an evolutionary-adapted parasite-host relationship...
- Draft genome sequence of the sexually transmitted pathogen Trichomonas vaginalisJane M Carlton
Institute for Genomic Research, 9712 Medical Research Drive, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Science 315:207-12. 2007..The genome sequence predicts previously unknown functions for the hydrogenosome, which support a common evolutionary origin of this unusual organelle with mitochondria...
- The estimated direct medical cost of selected sexually transmitted infections in the United States, 2008Kwame Owusu-Edusei
Division of STD Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Sex Transm Dis 40:197-201. 2013..Previous estimates of the total direct cost of STIs are quite dated. We present updated direct medical cost estimates of STIs in the United States...
- Re-evaluating the treatment of nongonococcal urethritis: emphasizing emerging pathogens--a randomized clinical trialJ R Schwebke
University of Alabama at Birmingham, 703 19th St South, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:163-70. 2011..A secondary aim was to compare the efficacy of doxycycline therapy and with that of azithromycin therapy...
- Trichomonas vaginalis infection: the most prevalent nonviral sexually transmitted infection receives the least public health attentionBarbara Van Der Pol
Clin Infect Dis 44:23-5. 2007
- Trichomoniasis and other sexually transmitted infections: results from the 2001-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveysJenifer E Allsworth
Division of Clinical Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Sex Transm Dis 36:738-44. 2009....
- Trichomonas vaginalis is associated with pelvic inflammatory disease in women infected with human immunodeficiency virusPrashini Moodley
Africa Centre for Population Studies and Reproductive Health and Departments of Medical Microbiology, Durban, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 34:519-22. 2002..vaginalis increased significantly (P=.002); no association was found in patients without HIV-1. T. vaginalis infection of the lower genital tract is associated with a clinical diagnosis of PID in HIV-1-infected women...
- PCR for diagnosis of male Trichomonas vaginalis infection with chronic prostatitis and urethritisJong Jin Lee
Prime Urology Clinic, Gwangmyeong 423 807, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 50:157-9. 2012..vaginalis when there was only 1 T. vaginalis cell per PCR mixture. Our results strongly support the usefulness of PCR on urine samples for detecting T. vaginalis in chronic prostatitis and urethritis patients...
- Screening of male patients for Trichomonas vaginalis with transcription-mediated amplification in a community with a high prevalence of sexually transmitted infectionKimber L Munson
Wheaton Franciscan Laboratory, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA
J Clin Microbiol 51:101-4. 2013..vaginalis detection, with age distribution analogous to that reported in females, TMA-based detection of T. vaginalis can be a routine constituent within a comprehensive STI screening panel for males in high-prevalence STI communities...
- TrichomoniasisJane R Schwebke
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 17:794-803, table of contents. 2004..As more is appreciated concerning the important public health implications of this common infection, more work will need to be done in understanding the diagnosis, treatment, and immunology of this organism...
- The prevalence of trichomoniasis in young adults in the United StatesWilliam C Miller
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27516, USA
Sex Transm Dis 32:593-8. 2005..The prevalence of trichomoniasis in the general population of the United States is unknown. This study provides the first population-based prevalence estimates of trichomoniasis among young adults in the United States...
- Genetic diversity in Trichomonas vaginalisJohn C Meade
Department of Microbiology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Sex Transm Infect 89:444-8. 2013..Moving forward, microsatellite genotyping and multilocus sequence typing are the most robust techniques for future investigations of T vaginalis genotype-phenotype associations. ..
- A new rapid molecular point-of-care assay for Trichomonas vaginalis: preliminary performance dataDavid M Pearce
Atlas Genetics, Trowbridge, Wiltshire, UK
Sex Transm Infect 89:495-7. 2013..In this report, we describe a rapid prototype assay for T vaginalis designed for use in conjunction with the Atlas io PoC platform, and initial verification of its performance using 90 clinical samples...
- Modeling the impact of Trichomonas vaginalis infection on HIV transmission in HIV-infected individuals in medical careEvelyn Byrd Quinlivan
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7030, USA
Sex Transm Dis 39:671-7. 2012..To assess factors associated with having a Trichomonas vaginalis (TV) infection among persons receiving care for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and estimate the number of transmitted HIV infections attributable to TV...
- Sexually transmitted infection is associated with increased risk of preterm birth in South Carolina women insured by MedicaidJoshua R Mann
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, South Carolina, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 23:563-8. 2010....
- Trichomonas vaginalis infection in men who submit self-collected penile swabs after internet recruitmentCharlotte A Gaydos
Division of Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Sex Transm Infect 89:504-8. 2013..Submission of self-collected penile samples collected at home could remove barriers that men face in getting tested for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)...
- Survival of Trichomonas vaginalis in wet preparation and on wet mountKevin A Stoner
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, OBGYN, Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 3180, USA
Sex Transm Infect 89:485-8. 2013..However, microscopy cannot always be performed immediately after sample collection. The objective of this study was to assess the impact of sample storage at room temperature on trichomonad motility...
- Use of urine polymerase chain reaction to define the prevalence and clinical presentation of Trichomonas vaginalis in men attending an STD clinicK A Wendel
Division of Infectious Diseases, Oklahoma University Health Science Center, Oklahoma, USA
Sex Transm Infect 79:151-3. 2003..To determine the prevalence and clinical features of Trichomonas vaginalis (TV) infection in men...
- Global epidemiology and control of Trichomonas vaginalisVictoria J Johnston
Hospital for Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Curr Opin Infect Dis 21:56-64. 2008..This review aims to update the reader on the global epidemiology and control of T. vaginalis...
- Prospective study of Trichomonas vaginalis infection and prostate cancer incidence and mortality: Physicians' Health StudyJennifer R Stark
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 101:1406-11. 2009..We confirmed these findings in an independent population and related serostatus for antibodies against T vaginalis to prostate cancer incidence and mortality...
- Trichomonosis and subsequent risk of prostate cancer in the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialSiobhan Sutcliffe
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Int J Cancer 124:2082-7. 2009....
- Trichomonas vaginalis epidemiology: parameterising and analysing a model of treatment interventionsF J Bowden
Wellcome Trust Centre for the Epidemiology of Infectious Disease, Oxford University
Sex Transm Infect 76:248-56. 2000..Trichomonas vaginalis, which affects at least 170 million individuals globally, may increase the risk of transmission of HIV and predispose pregnant women to premature rupture of membranes and early labour...
- The cost-effectiveness of treating male trichomoniasis to avert HIV transmission in men seeking sexually transmitted disease care in MalawiMatthew A Price
International AIDS Vaccine Initiative, New York, NY, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:202-9. 2006..We examined the cost-effectiveness of providing first-line treatment for male trichomoniasis in Malawi, a condition not commonly considered in syndromic management throughout sub-Saharan Africa...
- Trichomonas vaginalis infection in male sexual partners: implications for diagnosis, treatment, and preventionArlene C Sena
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:13-22. 2007..Nucleic acid amplification tests can increase detection of T. vaginalis in men compared with culture...
- Comparison of APTIMA Trichomonas vaginalis transcription-mediated amplification to wet mount microscopy, culture, and polymerase chain reaction for diagnosis of trichomoniasis in men and womenMelinda B Nye
Laboratory Corporation of America, Burlington, NC 27215, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:188.e1-7. 2009..Performance of ATV TMA was compared with wet mount microscopy, culture, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR)...
- Use of the Roche LightCycler instrument in a real-time PCR for Trichomonas vaginalis in urine samples from females and malesJustin Hardick
Division of Infectious Disease, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:5619-22. 2003..1 and 100%, respectively. Overall results suggest that FRET-based assays can provide rapid, accurate, and high-throughput detection of T. vaginalis and may prove useful in clinical settings and for large-scale screening programs...
- Trichomoniasis: under control or undercontrolled?David Soper
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:281-90. 2004..As evidence continues to accumulate, the time has come to increase diagnostic efforts beyond traditional sexually transmitted disease clinic settings...
- Prevalence, incidence, natural history, and response to treatment of Trichomonas vaginalis infection among adolescent womenBarbara Van Der Pol
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA
J Infect Dis 192:2039-44. 2005..However, few data exist concerning the epidemiologic profile of this pathogen in adolescent women, a group at high risk for other STIs...
- Male circumcision and women's risk of incident chlamydial, gonococcal, and trichomonal infectionsAbigail Norris Turner
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, McGavran Greenberg Hall, Campus Box 7435, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7435, USA
Sex Transm Dis 35:689-95. 2008..We explored associations between MC of the primary sex partner and women's risk of acquisition of chlamydial (Ct), gonococcal (GC), or trichomonal (Tv) infections...
- Trichomoniasis: clinical manifestations, diagnosis and managementH Swygard
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7030, USA
Sex Transm Infect 80:91-5. 2004..Metronidazole resistance is an emerging problem, but its clinical importance is not yet clear. Concomitant treatment of sexual partners is recommended...
- The role of unusual pathogens in prostatitis syndromeVisnja Skerk
University Hospital for Infectious Diseases, Dr Fran Mihaljevic, Mirogojska 8, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Int J Antimicrob Agents 24:S53-6. 2004..Other patients had a mixed infection. In patients with chronic bacterial prostatitis (CBP) caused by E. coli, P. mirabilis, K. pneumoniae, E. or S. agalactiae, an inflammatory finding was regularly found in EPS or VB(3)...
- Genetic variability between Trichomonas vaginalis isolates and correlation with clinical presentationLazara Rojas
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kourí Autopista Novia del Mediodía Km 6 1 2, Apartado Postal 601, Marianao 13, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Infect Genet Evol 4:53-8. 2004..This is the first description of a possible virulence marker for T. vaginalis. Further studies will be necessary to ascertain the importance and function of this genetic marker in clinical infection...
- Trichomoniasis in a Bonelli's eagle population in SpainJ Real
Departament de Biologia Animal Vertebrats, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Wildl Dis 36:64-70. 2000..At present trichomoniasis apparently has little demographic impact on the Bonelli's eagle population in Catalonia, but the eventual spread of this disease in chicks and its unknown effects on adults might be of concern...
- Early repeated infections with Trichomonas vaginalis among HIV-positive and HIV-negative womenPatricia Kissinger
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:994-9. 2008....
- Improved detection by DNA amplification of Trichomonas vaginalis in malesJane R Schwebke
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Zeigler Research Building 239, 703 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:3681-3. 2002..The use of PCR techniques in urine specimen-based detection of T. vaginalis was highly sensitive and revealed a prevalence of infection more than three times that revealed by culture for men at high risk for STDs...
- Stability of Trichomonas vaginalis DNA in urine specimensJessica Ingersoll
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:1628-30. 2008..When storing specimens at room temperature, a delay of 24 h prior to adding to UPT led to an unacceptably high loss of assay sensitivity...
- Prevalence and correlates of chlamydia trachomatis, neisseria gonorrhoeae, trichomonas vaginalis infections, and bacterial vaginosis among a cohort of young injection drug users in Baltimore, MarylandSabrina S Plitt
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Sex Transm Dis 32:446-53. 2005..Injection drug users (IDUs) consistently demonstrate high-risk behaviors for sexually transmitted infections (STIs). This study examines STI prevalence and correlates among young IDUs...
- Bacterial vaginosis and intravaginal practices: association with HIVM E Mbizvo
Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, Department of International Health, University of Oslo, Postboks 1130, Blindern 0317, Oslo
Cent Afr J Med 50:41-6. 2004..To determine the prevalence of bacterial vaginosis and to identify risk factors associated with this condition among urban women in Harare, Zimbabwe...
- Failure to detect urethral Trichomonas vaginalis in Japanese men with or without urethritisShin ichi Maeda
Department of Urology, Toyota Memorial Hospital, Toyota, Japan
Int J Urol 13:1418-20. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and morbidity of T. vaginalis infection in Japanese men...
- Premature with trichomoniasis: report of one caseJeng Jye Wang
Department of Pediatrics, Cardinal Tien Hospital, 362, Jhongjheng Rd, Hsintian City, Taipei Hsien 231, Taiwan, ROC
Acta Paediatr Taiwan 46:219-21. 2005..Infants with recurrent vaginal discharge presenting beyond the neonatal period may be attributed to T. vaginalis infection...
- Using sexually transmitted infection biomarkers to validate reporting of sexual behavior within a randomized, experimental evaluation of interviewing methodsPaul C Hewett
Population Council, New York, NY 10017, USA
Am J Epidemiol 168:202-11. 2008..Results strongly suggest that computerized interviewing provides more accurate and reliable behavioral data. The analyses also confirm the benefits of using data on prevalent STIs for externally validating behavioral reporting...
- Impact of Trichomonas vaginalis transcription-mediated amplification-based analyte-specific-reagent testing in a metropolitan setting of high sexually transmitted disease prevalenceErik Munson
Wheaton Franciscan Laboratory, 11020 West Plank Court, Suite 100, Wauwatosa, WI 53226, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:3368-74. 2008..003) testing. Highly sensitive T. vaginalis molecular ASR not only transcends issues of specimen integrity and microscopic acumen but also has an increased ability to predict the likelihood of additional STDs in defined populations...
- New antitrichomonal drug-like chemicals selected by bond (edge)-based TOMOCOMD-CARDD descriptorsAlfredo Meneses-Marcel
Unit of Computer Aided Molecular Biosilico Discovery and Bioinformatic Research CAMD BIR Unit, Faculty of Chemistry Pharmacy, Central University of Las Villas, Villa Clara, Cuba
J Biomol Screen 13:785-94. 2008..Finally, the best candidate, G-1 (cytocidal activity of 100% at 10 microg/ml) was in vivo assayed in ovariectomized Wistar rats achieving promising results as a trichomonacidal drug-like compound...
- Dealing with trichomoniasisFelicity Young
Isle of Wight Healthcare NHS Trust
J Fam Health Care 16:153-5. 2006..It is therefore mandatory to ensure prompt and appropriate treatment for all patients diagnosed with trichomoniasis...
- [Research progress on the detection methods of trichomoniasis vaginalis]Hui Xie
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 22:179-81. 2004
- Realtime PCR on urine sediments in the diagnosis of trichomoniasis in male subjectsYin Versluis
Int J STD AIDS 17:642. 2006
- Vulnerability and risk factors for sexually transmitted infections and HIV among adolescents in Kampala, UgandaE B Råssjö
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mulago Hospital, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS Care 18:710-6. 2006..Biological and social factors are definitely of importance...
- Risk factors and prevalence of HIV and sexually transmitted infections among low-income female commercial sex workers in MongoliaJose E Hagan
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:83-7. 2007..Mongolia has very low HIV prevalence despite high rates of sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Low-income female sex workers (FSWs) may be at high risk for acquiring and spreading the disease in Mongolia...
- Synthesis and antiprotozoal activity of some 2-(trifluoromethyl)-1H-benzimidazole bioisosteresGabriel Navarrete-Vázquez
Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Morelos, Cuernavaca Morelos 62210, Mexico
Eur J Med Chem 41:135-41. 2006..12 microM, respectively). Studying further structure activity relationships through the use of bioisosteric substitution in these benzimidazolic derivatives should provide new leads against protozoal and possibly malarial diseases...
- Trichomoniasis among women with vaginal discharge in Jeddah city, Saudi ArabiaNajia A Alzanbagi
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, King Abdel Aziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 35:1071-80. 2005..05). The studied risk factors were insignificant to the T. vaginalis infection. So, the symptoms were neither reliable to diagnose the vaginal trichomoniasis nor specific underlying factors provoke the infection...
- Candidiasis and trichomoniasis among pregnant women in a rural community in the semi-arid zone, north-eastern NigeriaC O Nwosu
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Parasitology, University of Maiduguri, P M B 11069 Maiduguri, Nigeria B
West Afr J Med 26:17-9. 2007..To assess the prevalence of trichomoniasis and candidiasis among women resident in Biu, a rural community in the semi-arid region of North-eastern Nigeria...
- Trichomoniasis and its treatmentNeha Nanda
Department of Medicine, Oklahoma University Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 4:125-35. 2006..Alternatives to nitroimidazole therapy are few, and most have limited efficacy and significant toxicity...
- Plasma antibodies against Trichomonas vaginalis and subsequent risk of prostate cancerSiobhan Sutcliffe
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Room E6138, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:939-45. 2006..We investigated this infection in relation to incident prostate cancer in a nested case-control study within the Health Professionals Follow-up Study...
- Prevalence and correlates of bacterial vaginosis among young women of reproductive age in Mysore, IndiaP Madhivanan
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Indian J Med Microbiol 26:132-7. 2008..The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence and correlates of BV among young women of reproductive age in Mysore, India...
- Interval to treatment of sexually transmitted infections in adolescent femalesAmina I Malik
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 20:275-9. 2007....
- Association of Chlamydia trachomatis with persistence of high-risk types of human papillomavirus in a cohort of female adolescentsErika Samoff
Division of Sexually Transmitted Disease Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Epidemiol 162:668-75. 2005..8, 95% confidence interval: 1.6, 4.9). The association between chlamydia infection and cervical cancer may be due to an effect of chlamydia infection on persistence of high-risk HPV...
- Double-stranded RNA viral infection of Trichomonas vaginalis infecting patients attending a sexually transmitted diseases clinicKaren A Wendel
Division of Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Infect Dis 186:558-61. 2002..02). The age and sex specificity of virus-positive isolates may aid in understanding the differences in chronicity and clinical presentation of TV in men and women...
- [Human pulmonary trichomonoses]Christophe Duboucher
CHI de Poissy Saint Germain, Laboratoire d Anatomie Pathologique, Saint Germain en Laye, France
Presse Med 36:835-9. 2007..The diagnosis of trichomoniasis and its treatment by specific drugs will make it possible to evaluate the pathogenicity of these parasites...
- Modulation of vaginal immune response among pregnant women with bacterial vaginosis by Trichomonas vaginalis, Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and yeastSabina Cauci
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Technologies, School of Medicine, University of Udine, Italy
Am J Obstet Gynecol 196:133.e1-7. 2007..This study was undertaken to examine the influence of coinfections on vaginal innate and adaptive immunity, and microbial enzyme activities of pregnant women with bacterial vaginosis (BV)...
- Trichomoniasis in men and HIV infection: data from 2 outpatient clinics at Lilongwe Central Hospital, MalawiMatthew A Price
School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7030, USA
J Infect Dis 190:1448-55. 2004..Among men presenting for care for symptomatic sexually transmitted infections (STIs) in Malawi, trichomoniasis is not considered for first-line treatment...
- Prevalence of asymptomatic genital infection among pregnant women in Benin City, NigeriaJohn Akerele
Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria
Afr J Reprod Health 6:93-7. 2002..These results show a high rate of asymptomatic genital tract infections among pregnant women in Benin City, which have implications for adverse maternal and neonatal outcomes...
- [Advances in the study of trichomoniasis in men]Hong Sang
Department of Dermotology, Nanjing General Hospital of Nanjing Command, PLA, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210002, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 8:61-3. 2002..It is worth-while to summarize critical findings in a series of articles. The prevalence of Trichomonas vaginalis in men represents an important consideration in the differential diagnosis of urethritis...
- Chronic prostatitis caused by Trichomonas vaginalis--diagnosis and treatmentV Skerk
J Chemother 14:537-8. 2002
- Sexual intercourse association with asymptomatic bacterial vaginosis and Trichomonas vaginalis treatment in relationship to preterm birthVincenzo Berghella
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 187:1277-82. 2002....
- Evaluation of self-collected samples in contrast to practitioner-collected samples for detection of Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and Trichomonas vaginalis by polymerase chain reaction among women living in remote areasJanet Knox
Sexual Health Unit of Territory Health Services, Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
Sex Transm Dis 29:647-54. 2002....
- Post-treatment sexual and prevention behaviours of adolescents with sexually transmitted infectionsJ D Fortenberry
Section of Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, IN, USA
Sex Transm Infect 78:365-8. 2002..To evaluate sexual behaviour (including abstinence), sex partner change, and condom use during the 3 month period following treatment for Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis, Trichomonas vaginalis, or non-gonococcal urethritis...
- Biological variability in clinical isolates of Trichomonas vaginalisAlicia Gomez-Barrio
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Espana
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:893-6. 2002..Regarding to metronidazole susceptibility, none resistant isolate was found but different degrees of susceptibility were determined...
- In vitro effect of nitazoxanide against Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia intestinalis and Trichomonas vaginalis trophozoitesRoberto Cedillo-Rivera
Unidad de Investigación Médica en Enfermedadaes Infecciosas y Parasitarias, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, IMSS, Mexico, DF
J Eukaryot Microbiol 49:201-8. 2002....
- Screening for sexually transmitted diseases in human immunodeficiency virus-positive patients in Peru reveals an absence of Chlamydia trachomatis and identifies Trichomonas vaginalis in pharyngeal specimensN Press
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 32:808-14. 2001..Another finding was the presence of Trichomonas vaginalis in pharyngeal specimens of 3 men with histories of orogenital activity. This has not been previously reported and requires further study...
- Trichomonas vaginalis: evaluating capsid proteins of dsRNA viruses and the dsRNA virus within patients attending a sexually transmitted disease clinicJ F Alderete
Department of Microbiology, University of Texas Health Science Center, MC7758, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Exp Parasitol 103:44-50. 2003..Finally and importantly, isolates infecting patients attending an STD clinic, 75% of which were virus-positive isolates, had capsid protein of the same size detected by mAb present in all dsRNA viruses...
- Prevalence of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, and risk behaviours in unregistered sex workers in Dakar, SenegalChristian Laurent
Institut de Recherche pour le Développement IRD UR 36 and Department of International Health, University of Montpellier, France
AIDS 17:1811-6. 2003....
- Trichomonas vaginalis orchitis with associated severe oligoasthenoteratospermia and hypogonadismGranville L Lloyd
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
J Urol 170:924. 2003
- [Therapeutic aspects of trichomoniasis]Jelica Vukicevic
Institute of Dermatovenereology, Clinical Centre of Serbia, Belgrade
Srp Arh Celok Lek 131:156-61. 2003..Nevertheless, oncogenic and toxic effects of MND have to be taken into consideration...
- Mind the gap: bridging the divide between clinical and molecular studies of the trichomonadsEmily J Lyons
The Institute for Genomic Research, 9712 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Trends Parasitol 20:204-7. 2004
- [Progress in researches on the laboratory diagnosis of nongonococcal urethritis]Yufeng Huang
Laboratory of Reproduction and Genetics, Nanjing General Hospital of Nanjing Command, PLA, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210002, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 10:3-8. 2004..It is necessary to establish and standardize some reliable rapid diagnostic tests for NGU. This paper reviews the progress in researches on the concept, etiology, clinical features, laboratory diagnosis and treatment of NGU...
- Addition of treatment for trichomoniasis to syndromic management of urethritis in Malawi: a randomized clinical trialMatthew A Price
Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Sex Transm Dis 30:516-22. 2003..Male urethritis is generally treated syndromically, but failure of empirical treatment is common...
- The use of specimens from various genitourinary sites in men, to detect Trichomonas vaginalis infectionS Cornelia Kaydos-Daniels
Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina School of Public Health, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
J Infect Dis 189:1926-31. 2004..Semen was the most sensitive single specimen, and, in 25.6% of cases, only semen specimens tested positive. Thus, prevalence of T. vaginalis infection in men is underestimated if only 1 specimen is tested...
- Antibiotics for bacterial vaginosis or Trichomonas vaginalis in pregnancy: a systematic reviewNan Okun
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mount Sinai Hospital, and Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Obstet Gynecol 105:857-68. 2005..To determine whether antibiotic treatment for bacterial vaginosis or Trichomonas vaginalis during pregnancy decreases the risk of preterm birth and associated adverse outcomes...
- The epidemiology of trichomoniasis in women in four African citiesA Buve
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
AIDS 15:S89-96. 2001..To describe the epidemiology of Trichomonas vaginalis infection and its association with HIV infection, in women in four African cities with different levels of HIV infection...
- Management of trichomonas vaginalis in women with suspected metronidazole hypersensitivityDonna J Helms
Division of STD Prevention, Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:370.e1-7. 2008..The purpose of this analysis is to improve documentation of management for trichomonas infections among women with metronidazole hypersensitivity.
- Sexual and reproductive health: a matter of life and deathAnna Glasier
NHS Lothian and University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Lancet 368:1595-607. 2006..and the postpartum period, and 340 million people acquire new gonorrhoea, syphilis, chlamydia, or trichomonas infections. Sexual and reproductive ill-health mostly affects women and adolescents...
- The diagnosis of chlamydia, gonorrhoea, and trichomonas infections by self obtained low vaginal swabs, in remote northern Australian clinical practiceS C Garrow
Kimberley Public Health Unit, PMB 912, Derby, WA, 6728 Australia
Sex Transm Infect 78:278-81. 2002....
- Chemotherapeutic approaches to protozoa: Giardia, Trichomonas and Entamoeba--current level of knowledge and outlookA Harder
Animal Health Business Group, Research and Development, Biological and Chemical Evaluation, Leverkusen, Germany
Parasitol Res 87:785-6. 2001The situation regarding the treatment of human Giardia and Trichomonas infections and the intestinal and tissue stages of Entamoeba histolytica with metronidazole and other 5-nitroimidazoles is currently satisfactory (Table 1; Mehlhorn ..
- [Importance of microbiologic examination of vaginal secretions in the reproductive period]Valentina Arsić-Arsenijević
Institut za mikrobiologiju i imunologiju, Medicinski fakultet, Dr Subotica 1, 11000 Beograd
Srp Arh Celok Lek 132:44-9. 2004..of women are highly recommended during reproductive period as standard for bacterial vaginosis, fungal and trichomonas infections. If those results appear negative, further microbiological tests are necessary...
- Impact of T. vaginalis infection on innate immune responses and reproductive outcomeRaina N Fichorova
Laboratory of Genital Tract Biology, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02155, USA
J Reprod Immunol 83:185-9. 2009..The molecular mechanisms underlying reproductive complications and epidemiologic risks associated with T. vaginalis infection remain to be elucidated...
- [The compatibility of ronidazol in racing pigeons in a controlled clinical study]M E Krautwald-Junghanns
Klinik für Kleintiere, Universitat Leipzig
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 111:231-6. 2004Ronidazol is often used in racing pigeons for the treatment of Trichomonas infections and diseases. Therefore, in this study, the compatibility of the drug was examined by oral application over 7 days...
- Trichomonas vaginalis infection in a premature newbornLynne M Smith
Department of Pediatrics, University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
J Perinatol 22:502-3. 2002..Data are limited regarding the effects of Trichomonas infections in the newborn. We report a symptomatic T...
- Comparison of the 5.8S rRNA gene and internal transcribed spacer regions of trichomonadid protozoa recovered from the bovine preputial cavityR L Walker
California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 15:14-20. 2003..foetus isolates recovered from the bovine preputial cavity...
- Trichomonas vaginalis prevalence increases with remoteness in rural and remote New South Wales, AustraliaNathan Ryder
Sexual Health and Blood Borne Virus Unit, Department of Health, Northern Territory, University of New South Wales, Randwick, New South Wales, Australia
Sex Transm Dis 39:938-41. 2012..This study examined the Trichomonas prevalence and relationship to remoteness among patients attending sexual health clinics in rural and remote areas of New South Wales, Australia...
- Prevention of sexually transmitted infections in urban communities (Peru PREVEN): a multicomponent community-randomised controlled trialPatricia J Garcia
Epidemiology, STD AIDS Unit, School of Public Health and Administration, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Lancet 379:1120-8. 2012..We aimed to assess the effect of a multicomponent intervention on curable STIs in urban young adults and female sex workers (FSWs)...
- Hydrogenosomes of laboratory-induced metronidazole-resistant Trichomonas vaginalis lines are downsized while those from clinically metronidazole-resistant isolates are notJanelle M Wright
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
J Eukaryot Microbiol 57:171-6. 2010..This report demonstrates that clinical metronidazole resistance is not associated with down-sized hydrogenosomes, thus indicating that an alternative resistance mechanism is used by T. vaginalis...
- Standard treatment regimens for nongonococcal urethritis have similar but declining cure rates: a randomized controlled trialLisa E Manhart
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 56:934-42. 2013..We compared azithromycin and doxycycline in men with NGU, hypothesizing that azithromycin was more effective than doxycycline...
- Trichomoniasis: challenges to appropriate managementKaren A Wendel
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, CO, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:S123-9. 2007..We review advances in diagnosis and treatment and the current controversies regarding management...
- Prevalence and correlates of Mycoplasma genitalium infection among female sex workers in Kampala, UgandaJudith Vandepitte
MRC UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS, Entebbe, Uganda
J Infect Dis 205:289-96. 2012..We assessed the prevalence and explored determinants of this emerging sexually transmitted infection (STI) in high-risk women in Uganda...
- Simultaneous identification of 14 genital microorganisms in urine by use of a multiplex PCR-based reverse line blot assayMichelle L McKechnie
Sexually Transmitted Infections Research Centre, University of Sydney, Marian Villa, Westmead Hospital, New South Wales 2145, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 47:1871-7. 2009..The mPCR/RLB method was an accurate, convenient, and inexpensive method for the detection of multiple potential pathogens in first-voided urine specimens from men...
- Use of the internet and self-collected samples as a sexually transmissible infection intervention in rural Illinois communitiesWiley D Jenkins
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Springfield, IL 62791 9671, USA
Sex Health 8:79-85. 2011..Morbidity associated with infection remains a public health concern, with costs of $US2.5+ billion annually. Novel screening interventions must be examined for their ability to reach those at risk who are missed by traditional methods...
- Genetic relatedness of Trichomonas vaginalis reference and clinical isolatesDenise C Cornelius
Department of Microbiology, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216 4505, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1283-6. 2010..vaginalis research and this information provides a rational basis for selection of reference strains for use in comparative studies of T. vaginalis phenotypic and clinical characteristics...
- A prospective event-level analysis of condom use experiences following STI testing among patients in three US citiesRichard Crosby
College of Public Health, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506 0003, USA
Sex Transm Dis 39:756-60. 2012..The study also identified event-level condom use errors associated with condom breakage and slippage during sex...
- Nucleic-acid amplification testing of urine vs. patient complaint-driven evaluationPeter B Chase
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5057, USA
J Emerg Med 38:572-7. 2010..13-2.82); p = 0.012) were predictive of a positive STD test. NAAT of urine samples on patients who did not receive a complete physical examination resulted in a 33% (51/153) increase in diagnostic yield in this cohort of ED attendees...
- The epidemiology of vaginal colonisation with group B streptococci in a sexually transmitted disease clinicErik Honig
Department of Dermatology and Venerology, Erasmus University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 105:177-80. 2002..To determine whether Group B streptococcus (GBS) infection is sexually transmitted and whether colonisation with GBS could be related to vaginal symptoms or signs...
- Therapy and Prevention for Bacterial VaginosisJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will also utilize specimens from these prospective studies to further study the association of Mobiluncus, an organism strongly associated with BV using sensitive PCR technology. ..
- IRON, ZINC AND FOLATE AND PRETERM DELIVERYDavid Savitz; Fiscal Year: 2001..controls, we will assay the stored genital tract specimens to identify bacterial vaginosis, chlamydia, and trichomonas infections, assay the blood sample for vitamin C, and assay the urine specimen for cotinine and illicit drugs...
- Prevention Technologies for Sexual and Reproductive Health ConferenceSusan Ivey; Fiscal Year: 2009..Every year, 340 million people acquire new gonorrhea, syphilis, Chlamydia, or trichomonas infections. Furthermore, heterosexual transmission is the predominant mode of HIV transmission among women, and ..
- Tinidazole for the Treatment of Bacterial VaginosisJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, we will measure vaginal and serum concentrations of drug during treatment and correlate with cure rates, short-term recurrence of BV, and severity of infection. ..
- Control of Trichomoniasis -A Paradigm for STD ControlJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2006..vaginalis, to examine strain differences using PFGE, and to examine the prevalence of resistance strains and their potential contribution to treatment failure. ..
- Concordance Rates of Mobiluncus Among Sexual PartnersJane Schwebke; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our hypothesis is that Mobiluncus curtisii is important in the pathogenesis of BV and high concordance rates among sexual partners will be found suggesting sexual transmission. ..
- Urinary Symptoms in Adolescent Females: STI or UTI?Jill Huppert; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings of this study will strengthen the evidence base for symptom-based STI testing of SA adolescent females and will promote care that addresses both individual patient and public health needs. ..
- Spatial Epidemiology of Syphilis and Gonorrhea in North CarolinaWilliam C Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, we will obtain critical, new information regarding STI epidemiology in southeastern U.S., a region with disproportionate burden of these infections. ..
- Ureaplasmas in acute and persistent urethritis: clinical implicationsLisa E Manhart; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of this study may lead to the identification of an additional cause of this syndrome, provide guidance on treatment decisions, and shed light on the etiology of persistent and recurrent cases. ..
- A TRIAL TO REDUCE HEPATITIS C AMONG INJECTION DRUG USERSMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- A BRIEF ALCOHOL INTERVENTION FOR INCARCERATED WOMENMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2007..If effective, this brief alcohol intervention can be readily integrated into existing programs for incarcerated women who will soon be reintegrating into the community. ..
- Shotgun Sequencing of the Trichomonas Vaginalis GenomeJane Carlton; Fiscal Year: 2003..A publically accessible, user-friendly web site will be created for access to the genome and EST data during the project, and for access to the final finished genome sequence and annotation at the conclusion of the project. ..
- INSOMNIA AND DRUG RELAPSE RISKMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our research team is highly experienced in drug research, sleep disorders, and clinical trials in substance abusing populations. ..
- Role of iNOS and CAT-2 in defense against CP infectionJody Gookin; Fiscal Year: 2006..parvum infection. The PI is presently in the 3rd year of a 5-year K08 from NIDDK. These studies are anticipated to generate key preliminary data for the PI's first R01 application ..
- Smoking Cessation Among Methadone Maintained PatientsMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2005..A3. To test the effects of the treatments on methadone treatment outcomes including methadone dose changes and continued use of illicit drugs, as measured by urine toxicologies. ..
- MAINTAINING HIV RISK REDUCTION AMONG NEEDLE EXCHANGERSMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our results will have policy implications for needle exchange programs where many IDUs have initiated HIV risk reduction. ..
- Trichomonas Lipophosphoglycan in Regulation Immune ResponsesRaina Fichorova; Fiscal Year: 2008..vaginalis infections and complications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Brief Marijuana Intervention for Adolescent WomenMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2008..If effective, this brief marijuana intervention can be readily integrated into existing women's primary care sites. ..
- ANTIDEPRESSANT TREATMENT TO REDUCE HIV RISK AMONG IDUSMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Antidepressants During Office-based BuprenorphineMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2008..The focus of this study, the evaluation of combinations of medications, to treat substance-related disorders, fits squarely within the emphasis of this RFA. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adapting to HIV Disease--A Family InterventionMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2004..Given the significance of families in the AIDS epidemic, it is important to study as well as support families and patients to optimize care of those affected by HIV disease. ..
- Comparative Evolutionary Genomics and Infectious DiseaseJane Carlton; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ANTIVIRAL THERAPY AND HIV IN THE GENITAL TRACT OF WOMENSusan Cu Uvin; Fiscal Year: 2007..We also propose to enroll women who have undergone total hysterectomy to assess HIV dynamics in the vagina. ..
- Disruptive Disorders & STD/HIV Risk in Adolescent DyadsMatthew Aalsma; Fiscal Year: 2006..The career development plan and supervised research experiences will provide the candidate with the necessary research skills for a career as an independent research investigator. ..
- Vaginal Microbicide Acceptability STD/HIV PreventionJ Fortenberry; Fiscal Year: 2006..This team is substantially experienced in conducting clinical and marketing research with adolescents addressing topics of sexual behavior, sexually transmitted diseases and acceptance of STD-related vaccines. ..
- NO& Epithelial Repair in CryptosporidiosisJody Gookin; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- HIV IN SEMEN--EFFECTS OF STDS AND ANTIVIRAL THERAPYMyron Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these studies should provide further insight into the regulation of excretion of HIV in semen, transmission of HIV, and to inform public health HIV prevention policies. ..
- Development of Relationship Dynamics and STI/HIV RiskJ Fortenberry; Fiscal Year: 2007..Developmental trends in relationship formation, relationship quality, coital frequency and condom use will be assessed by latent growth curve analysis. ..
- "Vivax Malaria Research: 2005 and Beyond"Jane Carlton; Fiscal Year: 2005..vivax with P. falciparum, epidemiology and diversity studies, vectors and transmission dynamics, and a bioinformatics workshop for researchers and students to learn to manipulate Plasmodium sequence data. ..
- The Acquisition of Bacterial Vaginosis in LesbiansJeanne Marrazzo; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lesbian couples provide a unique opportunity to conduct comparative studies of vaginal microbial ecology in sex partners, and to directly analyze determinants of transmission. ..