Genomes and Genes
parasitic liver diseases
Summary: Liver diseases caused by infections with PARASITES, such as tapeworms (CESTODA) and flukes (TREMATODA).
Publications157 found, 100 shown here
- IL-10 and the dangers of immune polarization: excessive type 1 and type 2 cytokine responses induce distinct forms of lethal immunopathology in murine schistosomiasisK F Hoffmann
Immunobiology Section, Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 164:6406-16. 2000....
- Schistosome-infected IL-4 receptor knockout (KO) mice, in contrast to IL-4 KO mice, fail to develop granulomatous pathology while maintaining the same lymphokine expression profileD Jankovic
Immunobiology Section, Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 163:337-42. 1999..Taken together, these findings argue that tissue pathology in schistosomiasis requires, in addition to egg-specific CD4+ lymphocytes, a previously unrecognized IL-4Ralpha+ non-T cell effector population...
- The first human case of hepatic dirofilariasisMin Kyung Kim
Department of Pathology, Guro Hospital, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 17:686-90. 2002..These microscopic findings were consistent with degenerated Dirofilaria immitis. Antibody test by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for patient serum reacted positively against adult D. immitis antigen...
- Interleukin-5 (IL-5) augments the progression of liver fibrosis by regulating IL-13 activityRachael M Reiman
Immunopathogenesis, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 8003, USA
Infect Immun 74:1471-9. 2006..Thus, inhibiting the activity of IL-5 or eosinophils may prove effective for a variety of chronic fibrotic diseases...
- Nitric oxide monocyte production levels in patients with the hepatosplenic form of schistosomiasis mansoni who underwent splenectomy, ligature of the left gastric vein and auto implantation of spleen tissue in the major omentumCarlos Teixeira Brandt
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Health Sciences Center, Federal University of Pernambuco, Brazil
Acta Cir Bras 21:285-90. 2006..To measure the levels of NO production by monocytes in patients with the hepatosplenic form of Schistosomiasis mansoni who underwent splenectomy, ligature of the left gastric vein and auto implantation of spleen tissue in the major omentum...
- A spectral analysis of the myoelectric activity of the left colon in patients with schistosomiasis mansoniA A B Ferraz
Departamento de Cirurgia, Unidade de Transplante, Hospital das Clinicas, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, PE, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 38:737-46. 2005..We conclude that there were no statistically significant differences in RMS values between patients with schistosomiasis mansoni and patients without the disease during the rest period or during a long period of contraction...
- Antigen presentation by CD1d contributes to the amplification of Th2 responses to Schistosoma mansoni glycoconjugates in miceChristelle Faveeuw
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unite 547, Institut Pasteur de Lille, Lille, France
J Immunol 169:906-12. 2002....
- [Phagocytes rate and cellular viability of the monocytes in patients with hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoni who underwent splenectomy and auto-implantation of spleen tissue]Carlos Teixeira Brandt
Departamento de Cirurgia, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, PE
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 39:439-45. 2006..001. It is possible to hypothesize that monocytes from the study group patients presented a reduced response to the microorganism challenge, in the face of a harmful and long-lasting stimulus...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the liver in hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoniJosé Roberto Lambertucci
Serviço de Doenças Infecciosas e Parasitárias, Departamento de Clinica Medica, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 35:679-80. 2002
- [Study of retinal nerve fiber layer in patients with schistosomiasis mansoni: analysis with GDX]Rodrigo Almeida Vieira Santos
Fundacao Altino Ventura, Recife, PE, Brazil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 69:871-4. 2006..To study the retinal nerve fiber layer in young patients suffering from hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoni...
- Remodeling of hepatic vascular changes after specific chemotherapy of schistosomal periportal fibrosisZilton A Andrade
Laboratorio de Patologia Experimental, Centro de Pesquisas Gonçalo Moniz FIOCRUZ, Rua Valdemar Falcão 121, 40295 000 Salvador, BA, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 101:267-72. 2006..At present time one may only speculate about the participation of some type of natural stem-cell capable of restoring the diseased liver back to normal once the cause of the disorder has been eliminated...
- Chronic hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoni: magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance angiography findingsA S A Bezerra
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Radiol 48:125-34. 2007..To evaluate the hepatosplenic manifestations and the portal venous system in patients with chronic infection by Schistosoma mansoni...
- The Schistosoma mansoni hepatic egg granuloma provides a favorable microenvironment for sustained growth of Leishmania donovaniMohammed F Hassan
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel St, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Am J Pathol 169:943-53. 2006..mansoni and L. donovani co-infections and also demonstrate that granulomatous tissue responses to helminth organisms can form a discrete niche facilitating survival of intracellular pathogens...
- Parasitological and immunological changes in murine hepatic schistosomiasis before and after praziquantel treatmentMahmoud M A el-Shafei
S R P, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 32:551-60. 2002..PZQ treatment of S. mansoni infected mice, is effective in reducing the severity of the disease and in attenuating hepatic fibrosis, particularly when the treatment starts early with a suitable dose...
- Angiogenesis and schistosomal granuloma formationAna Paula Baptista
Laboratorio de Patologia Experimental, Centro de Pesquisas Gonçalo Moniz FIOCRUZ, Rua Valdemar Falcão 121, 40295 001 Salvador, BA, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 100:183-5. 2005..Vascular proliferation appeared evident at the early stages of granuloma formation, gradually decreasing thereafter, older granulomas becoming almost avascular structures, sometimes delimited at the periphery by a rich vascular network...
- Postoperative portal vein thrombosis in patients with hepatosplenic mansonic schistosomiasis: relationship with intraoperative portal pressure and flow. A prospective studyRoberto de Cleva
Gastroenterology Department, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hepatogastroenterology 52:1529-33. 2005..The aim of this study was to analyze biochemical, hematological, coagulation blood tests and intraoperative portal vein hemodynamics after surgical treatment of hepatosplenic Mansonic schistosomal portal hypertension...
- [Schistosomiasis in hyperendemic area of Taquarendi: I- Schistosoma mansoni infection and severe clinical forms]José Carlos Bina
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 36:211-6. 2003..8% and 3.7%. A direct relationship between such clinical forms of the disease and the worm load over 1.000 S. mansoni eggs/g of fezes was found...
- Adult worm tegumental damage and egg-granulomas in praziquantel-resistant and -susceptible Schistosoma mansoni treated in vivoY S Liang
Jiangsu Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Meiyuan, Wuxi, Jiangsu 214064, People s Republic of China
J Helminthol 76:327-33. 2002..Observations on the pathology of Schistosoma egg-granulomas in the liver of infected mice after treatment with PZQ indicated that eggs from susceptible control isolates were more sensitive to PZQ than those from drug-resistant isolates...
- Lack of C3 affects Th2 response development and the sequelae of chemotherapy in schistosomiasisAnne Camille La Flamme
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Immunol 170:470-6. 2003..Together these results indicate that C3 enhances Th2 responses during schistosome infection, potentiates PZQ-mediated parasite clearance, and reduces chemotherapy-induced proinflammatory mediator production...
- Experimental models of Schistosoma mansoni infectionAllen W Cheever
Biomedical Research Institute, MD 20852 1709, USA
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:917-40. 2002....
- Treatment by splenectomy of a portal vein aneurysm in hepatosplenic schistosomiasisMarcos Mucenic
Department of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 44:261-4. 2002..Diagnosis was confirmed with non-invasive imaging exams, arteriography and liver biopsy. Following splenectomy, the aneurysm diameter decreased substantially...
- Hepatic and intestinal schistosomiasis after orthotopic liver transplantMatthew Hoare
Department of Hepatology, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Liver Transpl 11:1603-7. 2005..A discussion of the pathology of schistosomal infection and a rationale for screening potential liver transplant recipients from endemic areas follows...
- [Late morphologic and hemodynamic changes in the splenic territory of patients with mansoni's hepatosplenic schistosomiasis after distal splenorenal shunt. (Ultrasonography-Doppler study)]Azzo Widman
Grupo de Cirurgia do Fígado e Hepertensão Portal da Divisão de Clínicas Cirúrgica II do Hospital das Clínicas da Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, RS, Brasil
Arq Gastroenterol 39:217-21. 2002..However, the changes it produce in the splenic territory have not been fully understood...
- Current status of sensitivity to praziquantel in a focus of potential drug resistance in EgyptSanaa Botros
Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Warrak el Hadar, Imbaba, P O Box 30, Giza, Egypt 12411
Int J Parasitol 35:787-91. 2005..This shows that there has not been an increase of drug failure, despite 10 years of therapeutic pressure in these villages where there had been resistant infections and worms with decreased response to PZQ...
- Varicoceles in adolescents and young adults after surgery for hepatosplenic schistosomiasisFrederico Teixeira Brandt
Department of Urology, Hospital das Clinicas, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Urol Int 71:373-6. 2003....
- Prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in patients with hepatosplenic Mansonic schistosomiasis--prospective studyRoberto de Cleva
Gastroenterology Department, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School FMUSP, Brazil
Hepatogastroenterology 50:2028-30. 2003..Thirty-four patients with portal hypertension and previous history of esophageal varices hemorrhage due to hepatosplenic Mansonic schistosomiasis were prospectively studied...
- Quantitative and qualitative interferences of pentoxifillyne on hepatic Schistosoma mansoni granulomas: effects on extracellular matrix and eosinophil populationL F Reis
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 24921-590, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 96:107-12. 2001..mansoni murine granuloma, but decreases the intragranulomatous eosinophil accumulation possibly due to its immunomodulatory capability, interfering in cellular recruitment and/or differentiation...
- Experimental schistosomal hepatitis: protective effect of coenzyme-Q10 against the state of oxidative stressAhmad A Othman
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Tanta, Egypt
Exp Parasitol 120:147-55. 2008..Moreover, addition of Co-Q10 to PZQ therapy caused: significant reduction of liver egg load, significant improvement of the redox status, and lastly decreased liver fibrosis...
- Natural Schistosoma mansoni infection in Nectomys squamipes: histopathological and morphometric analysis in comparison to experimentally infected N. squamipes and C3H/He miceMichele Costa-Silva
Departamento de Patologia e Laboratorios, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 20550 170, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:129-42. 2002....
- Glycans of Schistosoma mansoni and keyhole limpet haemocyanin induce hepatic granulomas in vivoKoen K Van de Vijver
Department of Pathology, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610, Antwerp, Belgium
Int J Parasitol 34:951-61. 2004..These data provide new insights in the complex and multifactorial carbohydrate-dependent host-parasite immunological interactions...
- Comparative clinical and ultrasound study of egg-negative and egg-positive individuals from Schistosoma mansoni low morbidity endemic areas, and hospitalized patients with hepatosplenic diseaseTelcia V B Magalhães
Santa Casa Hospital de Belo Horizonte, MG, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 38:33-7. 2005..The mean size of the spleen of G4 was significantly larger than that of the other three groups, and that of G3 larger than that of G1 and G2...
- Elevated levels of erythrocyte-conjugated dienes indicate increased lipid peroxidation in schistosomiasis mansoni patientsH T F Facundo
Departamento de Bioquimica, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, PE, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:957-62. 2004....
- [Hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoni: a tragic disease]Adávio de Oliveira-e-Silva
Arq Gastroenterol 40:201-2. 2003
- Dynamics of collagen, MMP and TIMP gene expression during the granulomatous, fibrotic process induced by Schistosoma mansoni eggsK P Singh
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 East Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 98:581-93. 2004..These data indicate that an imbalance in MMP:TIMP expression and fibrogenic cytokine production are associated with cumulative fibrosis...
- Magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasound in hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoniJosé Roberto Lambertucci
Serviço de Doenças Infecciosas e Parasitárias, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 37:333-7. 2004..magnetic resonance imaging scans gave more precise information about the gallbladder, periportal thickening and abdominal venous system than did the ultrasound...
- Hypertensive portal colopathy in schistosomiasis mansoni--proposal for a classificationMaria Angelina C Miranda
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Av Moraes Rego s no, Cidade Univeresitária, 50640 900 Recife, PE, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 99:67-71. 2004..Portal colopathy is an important finding in hepatosplenic schistosomiasis and might be the cause of lower gastrointestinal bleeding in patients with severe portal hypertension...
- Association of type 2 cytokines with hepatic fibrosis in human Schistosoma mansoni infectionAmelia Ribeiro de Jesus
Servico de Imunologia, Hospital Universitario Professor Edgard Santos, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Infect Immun 72:3391-7. 2004..The data suggest a role for type 2 cytokines in hepatic fibrosis in human schistosomiasis mansoni...
- Morbidity of schistosomiasis mansoni in rural Alexandria, EgyptAdel Zaki
Department of Medical Statistics and Clinical Epidemiology, Medical Research Institute, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 33:695-710. 2003..So, a heavy burden of severe liver disease exist in rural Alexandria is attributed to combined infection of S. mansoni and hepatitis viruses. This emphasizes the need for intervenetion strategies targeting these two main liver offenders...
- IL-23 is required for the development of severe egg-induced immunopathology in schistosomiasis and for lesional expression of IL-17Laura I Rutitzky
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Tufts University, 150 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Immunol 180:2486-95. 2008....
- Prevalence and common genotypes of HCV infection in Sudanese patients with hepatosplenic schistosomiasisH M Y Mudawi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan
J Med Virol 79:1322-4. 2007..It is concluded that HCV was of low seroprevalence in the study population and that parenteral antischistosomal therapy was not a significant risk factor in transmission of infection in the Sudan...
- Portal hyperflow in patients with hepatosplenic mansonic schistosomiasisRoberto de Cleva
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 59:10-4. 2004....
- Nitric oxide and the Th2 response combine to prevent severe hepatic damage during Schistosoma mansoni infectionL R Brunet
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Immunol 163:4976-84. 1999..Nevertheless, the underlying importance of NO is illustrated by the finding that aminoguanidine treatment leads to more severe liver disease and reduced time to death in infected IL-4-/- mice...
- Experimental schistosomiasis, protective aspects of granulomatous reaction in the mouse liverStéphane Hanna
INSERM U399, IFR 48, Univ Mediterranee, 27 Blvd J Moulin, 13005 Marseille, France
Parasitol Res 96:6-11. 2005..Together, oxidative processes and antigen containment allow the parasitized liver to cope with the dual threat posed by parasite eggs, i.e. a highly resistant chitinous eggshell and the release of toxic substances...
- Effect of splenectomy and ligature of the left gastric vein on portal hypertensive colopathy in carriers of surgical hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoniClaudia Rosalí Esmeraldo Justo
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Acta Cir Bras 20:9-14. 2005..The aim was to assess the effect of splenectomy and ligature of the left gastric vein on the PHC in carriers of hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoni who underwent this surgery when they were between 9 and 18 year-old...
- The Schistosoma mansoni egg-derived r38 peptide-induced Th1 response affects the synchronous pulmonary but not the asynchronous hepatic granuloma growthY Chen
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Parasite Immunol 23:43-50. 2001..Thus, in infected mice, the p38 induced strong Th1 response was insufficient to cross-regulate the evolving Th2 environment that generated large granulomas...
- Vasoactive intestinal peptide inhibits liver pathology in acute murine schistosomiasis mansoni and modulates IL-10, IL-12 and TNF-alpha productionGamal Allam
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Beni Sueif University, Beni Sueif, Egypt
Immunobiology 212:603-12. 2007..These results indicate that suitable administration of exogenous VIP can be effective in ameliorating immunopathologic damage associated with schistosomiasis...
- Detailed clinical and ultrasound examination of children and adolescents in a Schistosoma mansoni endemic area in Kenya: hepatosplenic disease in the absence of portal fibrosisBirgitte J Vennervald
Danish Bilharziasis Laboratory, Charlottenlund, Denmark
Trop Med Int Health 9:461-70. 2004..These results indicate that hepatosplenic disease in school-aged children attributable to S. mansoni infection, involving hepatosplenomegaly and increased portal vein diameter, can occur in the absence of peri-portal fibrosis...
- Production of septal fibrosis of the liver by means of foreign protein injections into ratsBruna Magalhães Gotardo
Centro de Pesquisas Goncalo Moniz, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Salvador, BA, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 36:577-80. 2003..Thus, repeated peritoneal administration of a foreign protein to rats would not reveal the full fibrogenic potential it may have under natural conditions...
- Successful ivermectin treatment of hepatic strongyloidiasis presenting with severe eosinophiliaZafer Gulbas
Department of Hematology, Osmangazi University Medical Faculty, Meselik, 26480, Eskisehir, Turkey
South Med J 97:907-10. 2004..Our findings suggest that Strongyloides stercoralis can present with isolated focal hepatic lesions and severe eosinophilia, and resolves with ivermectin treatment...
- Cardiopulmonary manifestations of hepatosplenic schistosomiasisMonica Lapa
Pulmonary Hypertension Group, Pulmonary Department, Heart Institute, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Circulation 119:1518-23. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in schistosomiasis patients with the hepatosplenic form of the disease...
- Hepatocystosis in a baboon (Papio anubis)C J Zeiss
Section of Comparative Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Contemp Top Lab Anim Sci 40:41-2. 2001..Transmission requires an insect vector, therefore infection with Hepatocystis sp. has minimal implications for colony health. There is no known danger of transmission to humans...
- [Liver involvement during visceral leishmaniasis]Jean Pierre Gangneux
Laboratoire de Parasitologie Mycologie, Faculte de Medecine, CHU de Rennes, 2 rue du Pr Léon Bernard, 35043 Rennes Cedex, France
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 30:1027-32. 2006..We also focus on experimental and pathophysiological data to clarify our understanding of liver involvement during this infection...
- Assessment of portal hemodynamics by Doppler ultrasound and of liver morphology in the hepatosplenic and hepatointestinal forms of schistosomiasis mansoniDenise Cerqueira Paranaguá Vezozzo
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Dig Dis Sci 51:1413-9. 2006..Portal and splenic overflow are found in both the HS and the HI forms of schistosomiasis...
- Hepatic granulomas, with an emphasis on infectious causesLaura W Lamps
Department of Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Adv Anat Pathol 15:309-18. 2008....
- Therapeutic glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor-mediated amplification of CD4+ T cell responses enhances antiparasitic immunityAshraful Haque
Immunology and Infection Laboratory, Queensland Institute of Medical Research and The Australian Center for Vaccine Development, Queensland Institute of Medial Research, Herston, Queensland, Australia
J Immunol 184:2583-92. 2010..This study identifies a novel strategy to therapeutically enhance CD4(+) T cell-mediated antiparasitic immunity and, importantly, achieves this goal without impairment of Treg cell function...
- [Hepatobiliary ascaridiasis in childhood: echographic diagnosis]F Bellini
Istituti Clinici di Perfezionamento, Universita di Milano
Radiol Med 83:619-21. 1992..Microscopic sections of hepatic tissue show inflammatory infiltration around the Ascaris eggs. Emergency surgery is sometimes to be performed. The value of US, as we assessed it, has been already stressed by other authors...
- Echinococcus granulosus down regulates the hepatic expression of inflammatory cytokines IL-6 and TNF alpha in BALB/c miceC Mondragón-de-la-Peña
Centro de Biología Experimental, Universidad Autonoma de Zacatecas, Mexico
Parasite 9:351-6. 2002..granulosus induces a local immunosupression probably mediated by IL-10 and TGF beta; therefore it seems possible that such a mechanism would assist the parasite in escaping the harmful host cell-mediated response...
- Vaccination with live Plasmodium yoelii blood stage parasites under chloroquine cover induces cross-stage immunity against malaria liver stageElodie Belnoue
Department of Immunology, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
J Immunol 181:8552-8. 2008....
- [Evaluation of the effect of splenectomy with autologous spleen tissue implantation in some monocyte functions in children with hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoni]Carlos T Brandt
Departamento de Cirurgia, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, PE
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 38:38-42. 2005..Autologous implantation of spleen tissue seems to contribute for recovery and maintenance of the evaluated immunological reactions, which might be important in response to infections...
- Prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in patients with schistosomal liver fibrosisR C S Ferreira
University Hospital Oswaldo Cruz HUOC, University of Pernambuco, Rua Arnóbio Marques, 310, Santo Amaro, CEP 50100 130, Recife, PE, Brazil
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 103:129-43. 2009..No patient suffered pulmonary embolism as a result of the investigations. The prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in the patients with schistosomal liver fibrosis (10.7%) justifies the screening of such patients by TTE...
- [Coincidental finding of biliary ascariasis]Anders Donatsky Kristensen
Herlev Hospital, Gastroenheden, Denmark
Ugeskr Laeger 172:1213-4. 2010..In severe cases, the recommendation is laparoscopic cholecystectomy and peroperative exploration of the common hepatic duct...
- Enhanced egg-induced immunopathology correlates with high IFN-gamma in murine schistosomiasis: identification of two epistatic genetic intervalsLaura I Rutitzky
Department of Pathology, Tufts University School of Medicine, 150 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Immunol 174:435-40. 2005....
- Factors controlling the effect of praziquantel on liver fibrosis in Schistosoma mansoni-infected patientsSiddig A Rahoud
Center of Biosciences and Biotechnology, University of Gezira, Wad Medani, Sudan
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 58:106-12. 2010..Our study indicated that regression, progression and stabilization of PPF after praziquantel therapy is controlled by gender, age, grade of fibrosis and possibly inherited factors...
- A transmission electron microscope study on the route of entry of triclabendazole into the liver fluke, Fasciola hepaticaE Toner
Parasite Therapeutics Research Group, School of Biological Sciences, Medical Biology Centre, The Queen s University of Belfast, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland
Parasitology 137:855-70. 2010..SO action alone; again, the gut remained normal. The findings support previous morphological and pharmacological studies indicating that trans-tegumental uptake of triclabendazole predominates in the liver fluke...
- [Intima-media thickness of common and internal carotid arteries in patients with hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoni]André Valença Guimarães
Doutor em Cirurgia pela Universidade Federal de Pernambuco
Rev Col Bras Cir 36:292-9. 2009..Both groups were compared with a health volunteer control group, living in the same social-economic-environmental conditions...
- Cholangiocarcinoma: lessons from ThailandBanchob Sripa
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Thailand
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 24:349-56. 2008..To present the background of liver fluke-associated cholangiocarcinoma in Thailand focusing on recent epidemiological data and pathogenesis of this bile duct cancer...
- Colonic polyps in hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoniJosé Roberto Lambertucci
Serviço de Doenças Infecciosas e Parasitárias, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 38:80-1. 2005
- Significance of bile-duct changes in schistosomiasisLudmila Oliveira
Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, BA, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 38:464-8. 2005..Thus, bile ducts exhibit a proliferative response in relation to neighboring S. mansoni injury to portal areas, but although these lesions are histopathologically impressive, they lack a functional or prognostic significance...
- In vivo imaging of tissue eosinophilia and eosinopoietic responses to schistosome worms and eggsStephen J Davies
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Room B4104, Bethesda, MD 20814 4799, USA
Int J Parasitol 35:851-9. 2005..Contrary to expectations, we also demonstrate that schistosome parasites themselves induce significant intestinal eosinophilia and eosinopoiesis in the bone marrow at very early stages during prepatent infection...
- Hepatic capillariasis in Maine presenting as a hepatic massJennifer Klenzak
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine 04102, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:651-3. 2005..This patient had a low parasite burden and did not exhibit significant peripheral eosinophilia. After treatment with thiabendazole, he recovered uneventfully...
- Survey for zoonotic liver and intestinal trematode metacercariae in cultured and wild fish in An Giang Province, VietnamNguyen Diem Thu
Research Institute for Aquaculture No 2, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Korean J Parasitol 45:45-54. 2007..pumilio, Procerovum sp., and O. viverrini metacercariae in Vietnamese fish. These results indicate that consumption of improperly prepared fish represents a significant risk of acquiring FZTs in this south Vietnam region...
- Hepatic changes in congenital Schistosoma japonicum infections in pigsT Iburg
Section of Veterinary Pathology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Comp Pathol 136:250-5. 2007..japonicum infection was similar to that seen in postnatal infection. Signs of immunomodulation of granulomas between the two timepoints of infection were not demonstrable...
- Nephrotic syndrome in hepatosplenic schistosomiasis mansoniJosé Roberto Lambertucci
Serviço de Doenças Infecciosas e Parasitárias, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 40:492-3. 2007
- MR findings in eosinophilic infiltration of the liverJoo Sung Sun
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Ajou University, College of Medicine, Kyunggido, Korea
J Comput Assist Tomogr 29:191-4. 2005..This study describes the findings of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of focal eosinophilic infiltration of the liver...
- Hepatobiliary fascioliasis: sonographic and CT findings in 87 patients during the initial phase and long-term follow-upAdnan Kabaalioglu
Department of Radiology, Akdeniz University Hospital, Dumlupinar Cad 07059, Antalya, Turkey
AJR Am J Roentgenol 189:824-8. 2007..The purpose of our study was to describe the initial and long-term imaging findings in hepatobiliary fascioliasis...
- Parasitic diseases in the abdomen: imaging findingsJae Hoon Lim
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Ilwon Dong, Kangnam Ku, Seoul, 135 710, South Korea
Abdom Imaging 33:130-2. 2008..This feature section was designed to provide the detailed imaging features of common parasitic diseases affecting the abdominal organs and peritoneal cavity, based on pathology-image correlation...
- Differentiating cirrhosis and chronic hepatosplenic schistosomiasis using MRIAlexandre Sérgio de Araújo Bezerra
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Rua Napoleao de Barros 800, Sao Paulo, SP 04024 002, Brazil
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:W201-7. 2008..The objective of our study was to identify which imaging features may be used to differentiate between cirrhosis and chronic hepatosplenic schistosomiasis and to assess image interpretation agreement for MRI findings...
- Disease and medicine in the armies of British India, 1750-1830: the treatment of fevers and the emergence of tropical therapeuticsMark Harrison
Clio Med 81:87-119. 2007..The dominance of this method resulted partly from senior military officers imposing their views on the juniors...
- Retinal fluorescein contrast arrival time of young patients with the hepatosplenic form of the Schistosomiasis mansoniAna Catarina Delgado de Souza
Departamento de Cirurgia, Hospital das Clinicas, CCS, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, PE, 500670 420, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:161-4. 2002..These findings lend support to the hypothesis that there could be a delay of the eye venous blood flow drainage...
- Activity of some hepatic enzymes in schistosomiasis and concomitant alteration of arylsulfatase BMahmoud Balbaa
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
J Biochem Mol Biol 37:223-8. 2004..In addition, the pH optimum of hepatic ASB was altered from 6 to 7 as a result of schistosomiasis. These observations suggest that there are schistosomiasis-associated changes of the catalytic and kinetic properties of hepatic ASB...
- [A case of Paragonimiasis westermanii complicated with migrating subcutaneous induration and multiple involvements in the liver]Hiroko Takemasa
First Department of Internal Medicine, Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Kitakyushu, Japan
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 76:594-9. 2002..Migration of Paragonimus westermanii larvae to liver is known to be uncommon. Thus, the present case indicates an alternate migration route of the Paragonimus westermanii in humans...
- Clinical manifestation of opisthorchiasis and treatmentEimorn Mairiang
Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
Acta Trop 88:221-7. 2003..Details of clinical manifestations of opisthorchiasis, hepatobiliary diseases and liver functions, community-based ultrasound study, treatment efficacy, and future study are discussed...
- Host specificity of Calyptospora funduli (Apicomplexa: Calyptosporidae) in atheriniform fishesJ W Fournie
U S Environmental Protection Agency, Center for Marine and Estuarine Disease Research, Gulf Breeze, Florida 32561
J Parasitol 79:720-7. 1993..Additional barriers that limit natural infections of C. funduli in other hosts include feeding behavior, environmental conditions, and geographic isolation...
- Intrasplenic transplantation of IL-18 gene-modified hepatocytes: an effective approach to reverse hepatic fibrosis in schistosomiasis through induction of dominant Th1 responseL H Zhang
Institute of Immunology, Zhejiang University, 353 Yan'an Road, Hangzhou 310031, PR China
Gene Ther 8:1333-42. 2001..These data indicate that intrasplenic transplantation of IL-18 gene-modified hepatocytes can be a candidate for therapeutic intervention in hepatic fibrosis through induction of a dominant Th1 response...
- Schistosomiasis mansoni in low transmission areas: abdominal ultrasoundR Ruiz
Seccion de Biohelmintiasis, Instituto de Medicina Tropical, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:153-9. 2002..The specificity of the method must be improved, especially for the recognition of precocious pathology. Other causes of hepatopathies must be investigated...
- Results of sclerotherapy for bleeding esophageal varices in patients with schistosomal liver disease. A retrospective studyR Maurizio
Gastroenterology Department, Regional Teaching Hospital, Hoima, Uganda
Hepatogastroenterology 47:424-8. 2000....
- [Hepatic fascioliasis. Resistance to praziquantel treatment and the radiological findings]P Mora
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Severo Ochoa, Leganes, Madrid
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 82:197-9. 1992..We describe the features of the ultrasound and computed tomography examination. Symptoms were persistent after praziquantel treatment. Bithionol was effective and cured the patient...
- Use of the Picrosirius-polarization method to age fibrotic lesions in the hepatic granulomas produced in experimental murine schistosomiasisG B Andrade
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Pelotas University, Brazil
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 93:265-72. 1999..The combination of the Picrosirius-polarization method with simple and efficient morphometric approaches will clearly provide useful information on the natural history of schistosomal granuloma scarring...
- [Serum gamma-glutamyltransferase alteration in hepatic schistosomiasis doesn't correlate with parasitic load and precedes ultrasound alterations]Ana Cristina de Castro Amaral
Setor de Esquistossomose, Disciplina de Gastroenterologia, Departamento de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, UNIFESP EPM
Arq Gastroenterol 39:27-31. 2002..Liver disorders are the major manifestations of schistosomiasis mansoni. Factors that account for increased concentrations of cholestasis-indicating enzymes in the hepatosplenic form of the disease are unknown...
- [Chilhood hepatic fascioliasis treated with triclabendazol]G Iglesias Escalera
An Esp Pediatr 57:171-2. 2002
- Capillaria hepatica-induced hepatic fibrosis in rats: paradoxical effect of repeated infectionsLudmila Oliveira
CNPq, UFBA, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 37:123-7. 2004..These paradoxical results are in keeping with the hypothesis that a complex immunological modulation participates in the mechanism of hepatic fibrosis induced by Capillaria hepatica infection in rats...
- Pathogenesis of hepatic septal fibrosis associated with Capillaria hepatica infection of ratsA B Santos
, , , Salvador, BA, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 34:503-6. 2001..Thus, future search for fibrogenic factors associated with C. hepatica infection in rats should consider lesions with both eggs and worms...
- Liver fluke infections of cattle in Mali. An abattoir survey on prevalence and geographic distributionS Tembely
Central Veterinary Laboratory, Bamako, Mali
Trop Anim Health Prod 20:117-21. 1988....
- [Hepatobiliary problems in travelers returning from the tropics]G D Burchard
Bernhard Nocht Institut fur Tropenmedizin, Hamburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:S102-3. 2004
- Surgical hepatosplenic mansonic schistosomiasis in adolescents: repercussions of the post-treatment schistosomotic burden on the hepatic functional reserveC T Brandt
Hospital das Clinicas, Departamento de Cirurgia, CCS, UFPE, Recife, PE, 50670 420, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 96:113-5. 2001..However, there was a trend for a decrease of this parameter in patients with residual infection...
- Human hepatic capillariasis: a second case occurred in KoreaSilvio Pampiglione
J Korean Med Sci 23:560-1; author reply 561. 2008
- Four whole-istic aspects of schistosome granuloma biology: fractal arrangement, internal regulation, autopoietic component and closureH L Lenzi
Departamento de Patologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, 21040 900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 101:219-31. 2006....
- Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma with old infestation of Schistosoma japonicum: report of a caseTomotaka Akatsu
Department of Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Surg Today 37:905-9. 2007..More data are necessary to evaluate the differences in clinicopathological findings between cholangiocarcinoma concomitant with S. japonicum and the usual type of cholangiocarcinoma...
- Surgical treatment of schistosomal portal hypertensionA A Ferraz
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Int Surg 86:1-8. 2001....
- Hepatobiliary and pancreatic ascariasisM S Khuroo
Department of Medicine, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Indian J Gastroenterol 20:C28-32. 2001..Pyrantel pamoate, mebendazole, albendazole and levamisole are effective drugs and can be used for mass therapy to control ascariasis in endemic areas...
- Comparative study of portal hypertensive gastropathy in schistosomiasis and hepatic cirrhosisD Marques Chaves
Endoscopy Service, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Endoscopy 34:199-202. 2002..Our study was aimed at comparing cirrhosis with hepatosplenic schistosomiasis with regard to the endoscopic and histological findings of PHG...
- DETERMINANTS OF HEPATITIS C & E MORBIDITY IN EGYPTGeorge Strickland; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Induction of hepatic tolerance to parasitic nematodesSusan Bliss; Fiscal Year: 2007..The research emphasis of the Institute is directed towards animal models of disease, providing a highly supportive environment for the applicant's career development. ..
- DETERMINANTS OF HEPATITIS C & E MORBIDITY IN EGYPTGeorge Strickland; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- EXPERIMENTAL PATHOLOGY SHARED RESOURCE LABORATORYLaura Lamps; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- HOST IMMUNOREGULATION OF ANTILEISHMANIAL CHEMOTHERAPYHenry Murray; Fiscal Year: 2005..And Aim 3: Characterize immunostimulation in AmB's efficacy, and in recrudescent infection following AmB therapy, pinpoint the likely cytokine-driven T cell mechanism which prevents post-treatment relapse. ..
- Immune modualtion of schistosome developmentStephen Davies; Fiscal Year: 2005..Identified genes will provide valuable molecular markers of parasite development for use in subsequent studies. ..
- Host Immunoregulation of Response to Antileishmanial ChemotherapyHenry Murray; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Modulation of schistosome development by T cell signalsStephen Davies; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific aim 3 will be addressed by examining schistosome infection in IL-2-deficient mice. ..
- LIVER MEMORY CD8 T CELLS IN PROTECTION TO MALARIAUrszula Krzych; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..