Genomes and Genes
Summary: Schistosomiasis caused by Schistosoma mansoni. It is endemic in Africa, the Middle East, South America, and the Caribbean and affects mainly the bowel, spleen, and liver.
Publications301 found, 100 shown here
- Quantification of clinical morbidity associated with schistosome infection in sub-Saharan AfricaMarieke J van der Werf
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Trop 86:125-39. 2003..mansoni) at 150000 and 130000 per year. Given the overall high number of cases with schistosomiasis-related disease and associated death, we conclude that schistosomiasis remains an important public health problem in sub-Saharan Africa...
- The genome of the blood fluke Schistosoma mansoniMatthew Berriman
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK
Nature 460:352-8. 2009..The information generated provides an invaluable resource for the research community to develop much needed new control tools for the treatment and eradication of this important and neglected disease...
- Alternative macrophage activation is essential for survival during schistosomiasis and downmodulates T helper 1 responses and immunopathologyDe Broski R Herbert
University of Cape Town, Health Sciences Faculty, 7925 Cape Town, South Africa
Immunity 20:623-35. 2004..Together, this shows that alternative macrophages are essential during schistosomiasis for protection against organ injury through downregulation of egg-induced inflammation...
- Accuracy of urine circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) test for Schistosoma mansoni diagnosis in different settings of Côte d'IvoireJean T Coulibaly
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1384. 2011..We assessed the accuracy of a commercially available CCA cassette test (designated CCA-A) and an experimental formulation (CCA-B) for S. mansoni diagnosis...
- Current status of vaccines for schistosomiasisDonald P McManus
Molecular Parasitology Laboratory, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, 300 Herston Road, Brisbane Q4006, Australia
Clin Microbiol Rev 21:225-42. 2008..haematobium) and Asian (S. japonicum) schistosomes is then discussed, as are new approaches that may improve the efficacy of available vaccines and aid in the identification of new targets for immune attack...
- Performance and safety of praziquantel for treatment of intestinal schistosomiasis in infants and preschool childrenJosé C Sousa-Figueiredo
Disease Control Strategy Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1864. 2012..We have formally assessed parasitological cure and putative side-effects in a prospective cohort of Schistosoma mansoni-infected children (aged 5 months-7 years old) in lakeshore settings of Uganda...
- Evaluation of circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) urine-tests for diagnosis of Schistosoma mansoni infection in CameroonLouis Albert Tchuem Tchuenté
Centre for Schistosomiasis and Parasitology, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1758. 2012..We evaluated the accuracy of circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) urine-assay as a diagnostic tool of S. mansoni. In comparison, a low sensitive CCA test (CCA-L) was assessed...
- Developing vaccines to combat hookworm infection and intestinal schistosomiasisPeter J Hotez
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Tropical Medicine, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Nat Rev Microbiol 8:814-26. 2010..New genomic, proteomic, immunological and X-ray crystallographic data have led to the discovery of several promising candidate vaccine antigens. Here, we describe recent progress in this field and the rationale for vaccine development...
- Influence of exposure history on the immunology and development of resistance to human Schistosomiasis mansoniCarla L Black
Department of Microbiology, Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e637. 2010..Previous studies suggest that humans can acquire immunity to reinfection with schistosomes, most probably due to immunologic mechanisms acquired after exposure to dying schistosome worms...
- Increased human IgE induced by killing Schistosoma mansoni in vivo is associated with pretreatment Th2 cytokine responsiveness to worm antigensKlaudia Walter
Division of Microbiology and Parasitology, Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Immunol 177:5490-8. 2006....
- Relative contribution of day-to-day and intra-specimen variation in faecal egg counts of Schistosoma mansoni before and after treatment with praziquantelJ Utzinger
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel
Parasitology 122:537-44. 2001..We conclude that diagnostic sensitivity in high transmission areas is maximized by making several stool readings on several days, but examining 1 stool specimen several times can make reasonable estimates of infection intensity...
- The influence of sampling effort and the performance of the Kato-Katz technique in diagnosing Schistosoma mansoni and hookworm co-infections in rural Côte d'IvoireM Booth
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QP, UK
Parasitology 127:525-31. 2003..If confirmed in other settings, these findings have implications for estimating the prevalence of multiple species helminth infections, and hence the design and implementation of efficacious and cost-effective control programmes...
- Making sense of the schistosome surfacePatrick J Skelly
Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Biomedical Sciences, 20 Westboro Road, North Grafton, MA 01536, USA
Adv Parasitol 63:185-284. 2006..We consider the way in which the tegument surface is formed after cercarial penetration into the skin, and changes that occur as parasites develop to maturity. Lastly, we review the evidence on surface dynamics and turnover...
- Schistosoma mansoni Infections in young children: when are schistosome antigens in urine, eggs in stool and antibodies to eggs first detectable?J Russell Stothard
Wolfson Wellcome Biomedical Laboratories, Department of Zoology, Natural History Museum, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e938. 2011..In the context of future epidemiological monitoring, we sought to compare the detection thresholds of available diagnostic tools for Schistosoma mansoni and estimate a likely age of first infection for these children...
- Anti-schistosomal intervention targets identified by lifecycle transcriptomic analysesJennifer M Fitzpatrick
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e543. 2009....
- The relationship between age, sex, egg-count and specific antibody responses against Schistosoma mansoni antigens in a Ugandan fishing communityCynthia W A Naus
Division of Microbiology and Parasitology, Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, UK
Trop Med Int Health 8:561-8. 2003..IgG4-SEA and IgG4-SWA were both strongly correlated with egg count. Patterns of IgE-SWA responses were qualitatively different to IgG4 responses, suggesting independent pathways of regulation...
- IL-10R blockade during chronic schistosomiasis mansoni results in the loss of B cells from the liver and the development of severe pulmonary diseaseKeke C Fairfax
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 8:e1002490. 2012..In summary, our data describe a role for IL-10-dependent B cell responses in the regulation of tissue damage during a chronic helminth infection...
- Increases in levels of schistosome-specific immunoglobulin E and CD23(+) B cells in a cohort of Kenyan children undergoing repeated treatment and reinfection with Schistosoma mansoniCarla L Black
Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases and Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602 3799, USA
J Infect Dis 202:399-405. 2010....
- The effect of the number of stool samples on the observed prevalence and the infection intensity with Schistosoma mansoni among a population in an area of low transmissionMartin Johannes Enk
Laboratory of Schistosomiasis, René Rachou Research Center Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Av Augusto de Lima 1715, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Acta Trop 108:222-8. 2008..This will give high sensitivity together with sustainability and suitability under field conditions...
- Intestinal schistosomiasis in mothers and young children in Uganda: investigation of field-applicable markers of bowel morbidityMartha Betson
Wolfson Wellcome Biomedical Laboratories, Department of Zoology, Natural History Museum, London, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1048-55. 2010..0001) and mothers (n = 448, OR = 1.95, P = 0.004). Fecal occult blood appears to be useful for measuring morbidity associated with intestinal schistosomiasis and could be used in assessing the impact of control programs upon disease...
- Tetraspanins on the surface of Schistosoma mansoni are protective antigens against schistosomiasisMai H Tran
Helminth Biology Laboratory, Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, 300 Herston Road, Brisbane, Queensland 4006, Australia
Nat Med 12:835-40. 2006..When coupled with its selective recognition by naturally resistant people, TSP-2 seems to be an effective vaccine antigen against S. mansoni...
- Closing the praziquantel treatment gap: new steps in epidemiological monitoring and control of schistosomiasis in African infants and preschool-aged childrenJ Russell Stothard
Wolfson Wellcome Biomedical Laboratories, Department of Zoology, Natural History Museum, London, SW7 5BD, UK
Parasitology 138:1593-606. 2011..mansoni appears to diminish after repeated rounds of treatment. Thus use of PZQ should be combined with appropriate health education/water hygiene improvements for both child and mother to bring forth a more enduring solution...
- An IL-13 inhibitor blocks the development of hepatic fibrosis during a T-helper type 2-dominated inflammatory responseM G Chiaramonte
Schistosomiasis Immunology and Pathology Unit, Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 104:777-85. 1999..Thus, our findings provide evidence that IL-13 inhibitors may be of general therapeutic benefit in preventing damaging tissue fibrosis resulting from Th2-dominated inflammatory responses...
- Efficacy and side effects of praziquantel treatment in a highly endemic Schistosoma mansoni focus at Lake Albert, UgandaN B Kabatereine
Vector Control Division, Ministry of Health, Kampala, Uganda
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:599-603. 2003..The marked reductions in faecal egg excretion and the acceptable level of side effects point to a single praziquantel treatment (40mg/kg) as the strategy of choice in such a highly endemic S. mansoni focus...
- T follicular helper cells differentiate from Th2 cells in response to helminth antigensArielle Glatman Zaretsky
Department of Pathobiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Exp Med 206:991-9. 2009..The relationship of TFH cells to the Th2 lineage was confirmed when TFH cells were found to develop from CXCR5(-) PD-1(-) IL-4/GFP(+) CD4(+) T cells after their transfer into naive mice and antigen challenge in vivo...
- Spatial heterogeneity of parasite co-infection: Determinants and geostatistical prediction at regional scalesSimon Brooker
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Int J Parasitol 39:591-7. 2009....
- Rapid assessment of Schistosoma mansoni: the validity, applicability and cost-effectiveness of the Lot Quality Assurance Sampling method in UgandaSimon Brooker
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 10:647-58. 2005..19 per schoolchild. We conclude that, in Uganda, LQAS provides a rapid, valid and cost-effective method for guiding decision makers in allocating finite resources for the control of schistosomiasis...
- Variations in helminth faecal egg counts in Kato-Katz thick smears and their implications in assessing infection status with Schistosoma mansoniNega Berhe
Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P O Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Acta Trop 92:205-12. 2004..mansoni...
- Schistosoma mansoni tegument protein Sm29 is able to induce a Th1-type of immune response and protection against parasite infectionFernanda C Cardoso
Departamento de Bioquímica e Imunologia do Instituto de Ciências Biológicas da Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e308. 2008..In this study, we investigated murine cellular immune responses to recombinant (r) Sm29 and tested this protein as a vaccine candidate...
- Increased density of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 coreceptors CCR5 and CXCR4 on the surfaces of CD4(+) T cells and monocytes of patients with Schistosoma mansoni infectionW Evan Secor
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Public Health Service, U S Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Infect Immun 71:6668-71. 2003..Patients with active schistosomiasis displayed higher cell surface densities of these receptors than did cured schistosomiasis patients...
- Spatial co-distribution of neglected tropical diseases in the east African great lakes region: revisiting the justification for integrated controlArchie C A Clements
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, QLD, Australia
Trop Med Int Health 15:198-207. 2010To determine spatial patterns of co-endemicity of schistosomiasis mansoni and the soil-transmitted helminths (STHs) Ascaris lumbricoides, Trichuris trichiura and hookworm in the Great Lakes region of East Africa, to help plan integrated ..
- Modulation of blood fluke development in the liver by hepatic CD4+ lymphocytesS J Davies
Tropical Disease Research Unit, Department of Pathology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Science 294:1358-61. 2001..Hepatic CD4+ T lymphocyte populations are an integral component of the immune signal recognized by the parasite...
- Efficacy and safety of praziquantel in preschool-aged children in an area co-endemic for Schistosoma mansoni and S. haematobiumJean T Coulibaly
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1917. 2012..Since a pediatric formulation (e.g., syrup) is not available outside of Egypt, crushed praziquantel tablets are used, but the efficacy and safety of this treatment regimen is insufficiently studied...
- Genetic diversity and population structure of Schistosoma mansoni within human infrapopulations in Mwea, central Kenya assessed by microsatellite markersL E Agola
Centre for Biotechnology Research and Development, Kenya Medical Research Institute, P O Box 54840 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Acta Trop 111:219-25. 2009..mansoni in Mwea is extremely high, thus providing opportunity for spread of rare alleles, including those that may confer character traits such as drug resistance and virulence...
- Expression of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors during the resorption of schistosome egg-induced fibrosis in praziquantel-treated miceKameshwar P Singh
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 E Canfield, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Immunology 111:343-52. 2004b>Schistosomiasis mansoni is a tropical helminthic disease characterized by parasite egg-induced granulomatous inflammation and cumulative fibrosis...
- Role for a somatically diversified lectin in resistance of an invertebrate to parasite infectionPatrick C Hanington
Center for Evolutionary and Theoretical Immunology, Department of Biology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:21087-92. 2010..FREP3 up-regulation is also associated with heightened responsiveness following priming with attenuated digenetic trematodes (acquired resistance) in this model invertebrate immune system...
- IL-10 and the dangers of immune polarization: excessive type 1 and type 2 cytokine responses induce distinct forms of lethal immunopathology in murine schistosomiasisK F Hoffmann
Immunobiology Section, Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 164:6406-16. 2000....
- Schistosome infection of transgenic mice defines distinct and contrasting pathogenic roles for IL-4 and IL-13: IL-13 is a profibrotic agentP G Fallon
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom and Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Immunol 164:2585-91. 2000..Therefore, we demonstrate that during a dynamic type 2 cytokine disease process IL-13 is detrimental to survival following infection, whereas IL-4 is beneficial...
- The unreliability of the Kato-Katz technique limits its usefulness for evaluating S. mansoni infectionsA Kongs
University of Sydney and University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Trop Med Int Health 6:163-9. 2001..It can be used in epidemiological studies and evaluation of schistosomiasis control programmes, but here too, other techniques might be preferred...
- Susceptibility and resistance to Schistosoma mansoni reinfection: parallel cellular and isotypic immunologic assessmentI R Caldas
Centro de Pesquisas Rene Rachou Fiocruz, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 62:57-64. 2000..Together, these findings indicate that even on the population level, high IgE specificities coupled with low IgG4 specificities correlate well with documented resistance to reinfection...
- Th2 cell hyporesponsiveness during chronic murine schistosomiasis is cell intrinsic and linked to GRAIL expressionJustin J Taylor
Department of Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4539, USA
J Clin Invest 119:1019-28. 2009..Together, these data indicate that the decline in Th2 cell responsiveness during chronic schistosomiasis is the net result of the upregulation of GRAIL expression in response to repeated Ag stimulation...
- Successful parasitism of vector snail Biomphalaria glabrata by the human blood fluke (trematode) Schistosoma mansoni: a 2009 assessmentChristopher J Bayne
Department of Zoology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 165:8-18. 2009..This review summarizes advances in the understanding of strategies used by both this trematode parasite and its molluscan host to ensure their survival...
- Use of circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) dipsticks for detection of intestinal and urinary schistosomiasisJ Russell Stothard
Department of Zoology, Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD, UK
Acta Trop 97:219-28. 2006..At approximately 2.6 US dollars per dipstick, they are presently too expensive to be cost-effective for wide scale use in disease mapping surveys unless Lot Quality Assurance Sampling (LQAS) strategies are developed...
- Efficacy of praziquantel syrup versus crushed praziquantel tablets in the treatment of intestinal schistosomiasis in Ugandan preschool children, with observation on compliance and safetyA M D Navaratnam
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London W2 1PG, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 106:400-7. 2012..1%) and crushed PZQ tablet (14.7%) arms. PZQ syrup and crushed PZQ tablets have very similar efficacies in the treatment of intestinal schistosomiasis in preschool children...
- Epidemiology of mixed Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma haematobium infections in northern SenegalLynn Meurs
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Int J Parasitol 42:305-11. 2012..mansoni and S. haematobium, may influence disease epidemiology and control considerably, and merit further studies into the underlying mechanisms of Schistosoma infections in co-endemic areas...
- Serodiagnosis of imported schistosomiasis by a combination of a commercial indirect hemagglutination test with Schistosoma mansoni adult worm antigens and an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay with S. mansoni egg antigensTom van Gool
Department of Microbiology, Tropical Medicine and AIDS, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 40:3432-7. 2002..The combined use of these two tests enabled the serological diagnosis of schistosomiasis to be achieved with very high degrees of both sensitivity and specificity...
- Observed reductions in Schistosoma mansoni transmission from large-scale administration of praziquantel in Uganda: a mathematical modelling studyMichael D French
Schistosomiasis Control Initiative, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e897. 2010..In doing this we aim to elucidate the benefits of MDA in reducing community transmission...
- Acute schistosomiasis mansoni: revisited and reconsideredJosé Roberto Lambertucci
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 105:422-35. 2010..For symptomatic hospitalised patients, treatment with steroids and schistosomicides is recommended. Treatment is curative in those timely diagnosed...
- Proteomic analysis of skin invasion by blood fluke larvaeElizabeth Hansell
Sandler Center, California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences QB3, University of California, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e262. 2008..To better understand the pathobiology of this initial event in schistosome infection, a proteome analysis of human skin was carried out following invasion by cercariae of Schistosoma mansoni...
- Retnla (relmalpha/fizz1) suppresses helminth-induced Th2-type immunityJohn T Pesce
Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS Pathog 5:e1000393. 2009..Thus, the Th2-inducible gene Retnla suppresses resistance to GI nematode infection, pulmonary granulomatous inflammation, and fibrosis by negatively regulating Th2-dependent responses...
- Population genetic structure of Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma haematobium from across six sub-Saharan African countries: implications for epidemiology, evolution and controlCharlotte M Gower
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, St Mary s Hospital Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Acta Trop 128:261-74. 2013..Our results are discussed in terms of their potential implications for the epidemiology and evolution of schistosomes as well as their subsequent control across sub-Saharan Africa. ..
- Humoral immune responses in patients with acute Schistosoma mansoni infection who were followed up for two years after treatmentA L Rabello
Centro de Pesquisas René Rachou Fundação Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Clin Infect Dis 24:304-8. 1997..In our group of patients, in addition to presenting with more intense clinical manifestations, children were cured less often and had slower abatement of symptomatology after treatment than adults...
- Geographical distribution of schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminths among school children in informal settlements in Kisumu City, Western KenyaMaurice R Odiere
Centre for Global Health Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, P O Box 1578 40100, Kisumu, Kenya
Parasitology 138:1569-77. 2011..Our study demonstrates that schistosomiasis and STH are important health priorities among schools in informal settlements of Kisumu City, and highlights the need for routine deworming in similar settings...
- Differential expression of FREP genes in two strains of Biomphalaria glabrata following exposure to the digenetic trematodes Schistosoma mansoni and Echinostoma paraenseiLynn A Hertel
Department of Biology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Dev Comp Immunol 29:295-303. 2005..Expression of FREP 3 and 7 was not significantly elevated in any snail/trematode combination. These expression profiles support the hypothesis that some FREPs play a role in the anti-trematode responses in B. glabrata...
- Resistance to reinfection with Schistosoma mansoni in occupationally exposed adults and effect of HIV-1 co-infection on susceptibility to schistosomiasis: a longitudinal studyDiana M S Karanja
Centre for Vector Biology and Control Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kisumu, Kenya
Lancet 360:592-6. 2002..However, whether resistance exists that is independent of age effects has been questioned. We did a longitudinal investigation of reinfection by Schistosoma mansoni in an adult population with high occupational exposure...
- Two-year impact of single praziquantel treatment on infection in the national control programme on schistosomiasis in Burkina FasoSeydou Toure
Programme National de Lutte contre la Schistosomiase et les Vers Intestinaux, Ministere de la Sante, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Bull World Health Organ 86:780-7, A. 2008....
- IL-12 enhances protective immunity in mice engendered by immunization with recombinant 14 kDa Schistosoma mansoni fatty acid-binding protein through an IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha dependent pathwayCristina T Fonseca
Department of Biochemistry and Immunology, Institute for Investigation in Immunology Millenium Institute, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Av Antonio Carlos 6627, Pampulha, 30161970 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Vaccine 22:503-10. 2004..Although, rSm14 immunization induced partial protection, reduction of hepatic granuloma area was only observed when IL-12 was co-administered...
- Co-administration of plasmid expressing IL-12 with 14-kDa Schistosoma mansoni fatty acid-binding protein cDNA alters immune response profiles and fails to enhance protection induced by Sm14 DNA vaccine aloneCristina T Fonseca
Departamento de Bioquimica e Imunologia, Instituto de Investigação em Imunologia Instituto do Milênio, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Av Antonio Carlos 6627, Pampulha, Belo Horizonte 31270 901, MG, Brazil
Microbes Infect 8:2509-16. 2006....
- Circulating CD23+ B cell subset correlates with the development of resistance to Schistosoma mansoni reinfection in occupationally exposed adults who have undergone multiple treatmentsPauline N M Mwinzi
Center for Global Health Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kisumu, Kenya
J Infect Dis 199:272-9. 2009....
- A new approach to characterize populations of Schistosoma mansoni from humans: development and assessment of microsatellite analysis of pooled miracidiaB Hanelt
Department of Biology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Trop Med Int Health 14:322-31. 2009..To develop and assess a microsatellite technique to characterize populations of Schistosoma mansoni from humans...
- Evaluation of two coproscopic techniques for the diagnosis of schistosomiasis in a low-transmission area in the state of Minas Gerais, BrazilLiliane Maria Vidal Siqueira
Laboratorio de Esquistossomose, Instituto de Pesquisas René Rachou Fiocruz, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil, 30190 002
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 106:844-50. 2011This population study, which evaluated two parasitological methods for the diagnosis of schistosomiasis mansoni, was performed in a low-transmission area in Pedra Preta, Montes Claros, Minas Gerais, Brazil...
- Effect of praziquantel treatment of Schistosoma mansoni during pregnancy on immune responses to schistosome antigens among the offspring: results of a randomised, placebo-controlled trialRobert Tweyongyere
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Infect Dis 11:234. 2011..Praziquantel treatment during pregnancy boosts maternal immune responses to schistosome antigens and reduces worm burden. Effects of praziquantel treatment during pregnancy on responses among offspring are unknown...
- Investigating the spatial micro-epidemiology of diseases within a point-prevalence sample: a field applicable method for rapid mapping of households using low-cost GPS-dataloggersJ Russell Stothard
CTID, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 105:500-6. 2011....
- Accuracy of circulating cathodic antigen tests for rapid mapping of Schistosoma mansoni and S. haematobium infections in Southern SudanRuth A Ashton
Malaria Consortium Africa Regional Office, Kampala, Uganda
Trop Med Int Health 16:1099-103. 2011..To evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of a circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) urine dipstick test for detecting Schistosoma mansoni and S. haematobium alongside an integrated rapid mapping survey in Southern Sudan...
- Fluctuation of schistosome circulating antigen levels in urine of individuals with Schistosoma mansoni infection in BurundiL Van Etten
Laboratory of Parasitology, Medical Faculty, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
Am J Trop Med Hyg 54:348-51. 1996..Our results show that detection of CCA in urine is a sensitive, quantitative, and reliable method for noninvasive diagnosis and screening of S. mansoni infections, due to the relatively low fluctuations...
- Patterns of infection and transmission of human schistosomiasis mansoni and schistosomiasis haematobium in White Nile Province, SudanE S Ahmed
National Health Laboratory, Ministry of Health, Khartoum, Sudan
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 90:173-80. 1996..Observations on snail-related aspects of transmission revealed that transmission of both S. mansoni and S. haematobium was highly focal and also seasonal, taking place during the hot, dry and post-rainy seasons...
- Schistosoma mansoni population structure and persistence after praziquantel treatment in two villages of Bahia, BrazilRonald E Blanton
Case Western Reserve University, Centre for Global Health and Diseases, Wolstein Research Building, 2301 Cornell Road, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Int J Parasitol 41:1093-9. 2011..007 and 0.020 for the two villages), suggesting that the persistent parasites were not selected by praziquantel treatment. We will continue to follow these communities for evidence of selection or changes in population structure...
- Use of recombinant calreticulin and cercarial transformation fluid (CTF) in the serodiagnosis of Schistosoma mansoniBahaa El Deen Wade El Aswad
Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 9HN, United Kingdom
Immunobiology 216:379-85. 2011..CTF was substantially more specific than SEA for diagnosis in the endemic region, and less susceptible than SEA to cross-reacting antibody in the sera of controls with other protozoan and metazoan infections...
- Day-to-day fluctuation of schistosome circulating antigen levels in serum and urine of humans infected with Schistosoma mansoni in BurundiK Polman
Department of Parasitology, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
Am J Trop Med Hyg 59:150-4. 1998..Our results indicate that detection of circulating antigens in a single serum or urine sample provides a quantitatively more stable diagnosis of S. mansoni infection than fecal egg counts based on a single stool examination...
- Genetic structure of Schstosoma mansoni in western Kenya: the effects of geography and host sharingM L Steinauer
Department of Biological Sciences, University of New Mexico, MSC03 2020, Albuquerque, NM87131, USA
Int J Parasitol 39:1353-62. 2009....
- Retroviral Foxp3 gene transfer ameliorates liver granuloma pathology in Schistosoma mansoni infected miceKameshwar P Singh
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Immunology 114:410-7. 2005b>Schistosomiasis mansoni, a tropical helminthic disease, is caused by disseminated worm eggs that induce CD4(+) T-cell mediated granulomatous inflammation and fibrosis...
- Immune effector mechanisms against schistosomiasis: looking for a chink in the parasite's armourR Alan Wilson
Department of Biology, University of York, PO Box 373, York YO10 5YW, UK
Trends Parasitol 25:423-31. 2009..In addition, ways need to be found of keeping the immune system on permanent alert, either to achieve adequate inhibition of protein function in adults, or because a trickle of incoming parasites does not amplify the secondary response...
- Transforming growth factor-beta and Th17 responses in resistance to primary murine schistosomiasis mansoniHatem Tallima
Zoology Department, Faculty of Science, Cairo University, Cairo 12613, Egypt
Cytokine 48:239-45. 2009..role of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) and interleukin (IL)-17 in innate resistance to murine schistosomiasis mansoni. Schistosoma mansoni-infected BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice were administered with recombinant TGF-beta or ..
- Validation of a chart to estimate true Schistosoma mansoni prevalences from simple egg countsS J De Vlas
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Parasitology 114:113-21. 1997....
- Genetic consequences of mass human chemotherapy for Schistosoma mansoni: population structure pre- and post-praziquantel treatment in TanzaniaAlice J Norton
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College, Faculty of Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:951-7. 2010..Such unique results illustrate the importance of genetic monitoring and examination of long lived multi-cellular parasites such as these under novel or increased chemotherapeutic selective pressures...
- Fasciola antigens as vaccines against fascioliasis and schistosomiasisG V Hillyer
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, San Juan PR 00936 5067, Puerto Rico
J Helminthol 79:241-7. 2005..Optimism is tempered by the fact that fascioliasis in humans is an orphan disease and in need of governmental and foundation support...
- Schistosoma mansoni morbidity among adults in two villages along Lake Victoria shores in Mwanza District, TanzaniaWabyahe L M Malenganisho
National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza Medical Research Centre, Mwanza, Tanzania
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:532-41. 2008..In the study communities the risk of developing PPF differed greatly among individuals depending on various risk factors especially alcohol consumption...
- Experimental models of Schistosoma mansoni infectionAllen W Cheever
Biomedical Research Institute, MD 20852 1709, USA
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:917-40. 2002....
- IL-13 is a key regulatory cytokine for Th2 cell-mediated pulmonary granuloma formation and IgE responses induced by Schistosoma mansoni eggsM G Chiaramonte
Immunology Section, Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, MD 20892 0425, USA
J Immunol 162:920-30. 1999..Together, these data demonstrate that IL-13 serves as an important mediator of Th2-mediated inflammation and plays a role in eliciting IgE responses triggered by schistosome eggs...
- Resistance of Schistosoma mansoni to praziquantel: is there a problem?Michael J Doenhoff
School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, Deiniol Road, Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2UW, Wales, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 96:465-9. 2002..Further work is needed to elucidate the mode of action of PZQ and there is already a need for alternative drugs to treat PZQ-resistant schistosomiasis, such as already exists in northern Senegal...
- Imbalance of pro- and antifibrogenic genes and bile duct injury in murine Schistosoma mansoni infection-induced liver fibrosisMicha Loebermann
University of Rostock, Germany
Trop Med Int Health 14:1418-25. 2009..The objective of this study was to evaluate the potential link between hepatic schistosomiasis and bile duct injury in relation to the expression of profibrotic cytokines and fibrosis-related genes...
- Biomphalaria glabrata transcriptome: cDNA microarray profiling identifies resistant- and susceptible-specific gene expression in haemocytes from snail strains exposed to Schistosoma mansoniAnne E Lockyer
Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences, School of Biological Sciences, Zoology Building, Tillydrone Avenue, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB242TZ, UK
BMC Genomics 9:634. 2008..Examining differential gene expression between S. mansoni-exposed schistosome-resistant and susceptible snail lines will identify genes and pathways that may be involved in snail defences...
- Serological analysis of the outcome of treatment of Schistosoma mansoni infections with praziquantelJ Bligh
Department of Clinical Parasitology, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Mortimer Market Centre, London, UK
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 104:511-20. 2010....
- Tegumental phosphodiesterase SmNPP-5 is a virulence factor for schistosomesRita Bhardwaj
Molecular Helminthology Laboratory, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Tufts University, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Grafton, MA 01536, USA
Infect Immun 79:4276-84. 2011..These results demonstrate that SmNPP-5 is a virulence factor for schistosomes...
- Schistosoma mansoni: a diagnostic approach to detect acute schistosomiasis infection in a murine model by PCRNidia Sandoval
Laboratorio de Inmunología y Parasitología Molecular, CISET, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Salamanca, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Exp Parasitol 114:84-8. 2006..Our results suggest that this new PCR-based approach could be useful for the detection of acute schistosomiasis in easy-to-handle clinical samples such the urine...
- Detection of early liver fibrosis in patients with intestinal schistosomiasis: sonographic and histologic findings in Schistosoma mansoni infectionR Chiavaroli
Infectious Disease Unit, S Caterina Novella Hospital, 73013, Galatina Lecce, Italy
Infection 36:585-9. 2008..Reports on histological assessment in patients with intestinal schistosomiasis mansoni are unusual because liver biopsy is not commonly feasible in endemic areas and it is not warranted for ..
- Contrasting patterns in the small-scale heterogeneity of human helminth infections in urban and rural environments in BrazilSimon Brooker
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, WCIE 7HT, UK
Int J Parasitol 36:1143-51. 2006..We suggest that such species-specific differences in patterns of infection by environment are primarily due to variation in exposure and parasite life cycle, although host genetic factors cannot be ruled out...
- Cytokine production associated with periportal fibrosis during chronic schistosomiasis mansoni in humansL F Alves Oliveira
Núcleo de Pesquisa em Imunologia, Faculdade de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade Vale do Rio Doce, Gov Valadares, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Infect Immun 74:1215-21. 2006Volunteers living in an area where schistosomiasis mansoni is endemic were subjected to ultrasound examination and classified into groups according to the levels of fibrosis diagnosed, namely, absence of indications of fibrosis (group 0),..
- Immunization with newly transformed Schistosoma mansoni schistosomula tegument elicits tegument damage, reduction in egg and parasite burdenT Teixeira de Melo
Centro de Pesquisas Rene Rachou, FIOCRUZ MG, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Parasite Immunol 32:749-59. 2010..Lastly, during an in vitro study, worms from mice immunized with Smteg showed damage in the adult worm tegument and impaired egg laying...
- Interference with hemozoin formation represents an important mechanism of schistosomicidal action of antimalarial quinoline methanolsJuliana B R Corrêa Soares
Laboratório de Bioquímica Redox, Programa de Biologia Molecular e Biotecnologia, Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e477. 2009....
- Field-based evaluation of a reagent strip test for diagnosis of Schistosoma mansoni by detecting circulating cathodic antigen in urine before and after chemotherapyMengistu Legesse
Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P O Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:668-73. 2007..Diagnosis of S. mansoni infection in urine using reagent strips would provide information on the prevalence of the disease, although further study is needed to improve its sensitivity and specificity...
- Tolerization of mice to Schistosoma mansoni egg antigens causes elevated type 1 and diminished type 2 cytokine responses and increased mortality in acute infectionP G Fallon
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Immunol 162:4122-32. 1999..This study demonstrates that mice tolerized to schistosome eggs have elevated type 1 cytokine responses with diminished type 2 responses and reduced anti-egg Ab during schistosome infection, and these effects are detrimental to the host...
- A method for the isolation of schistosome eggs and miracidia free of contaminating host tissuesJ P Dalton
Molecular Parasitology Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Bancroft Centre, Royal Brisbane Hospital, Australia
Parasitology 115:29-32. 1997..Using this procedure sufficient quantities of miracidia were obtained to generate a cDNA library. Southern blot analysis demonstrated that miracidia isolated by this method were free from contaminating host DNA...
- Efficacy and side effects of praziquantel against Schistosoma mansoni in a community of western Côte d'IvoireGiovanna Raso
Swiss Tropical Institute, P O Box, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 98:18-27. 2004..Our findings call for additional studies that rigorously evaluate the efficacy of praziquantel against different schistosome species in entire communities, using similarly sensitive diagnostic approaches as employed here...
- Relationships between anaemia and parasitic infections in Kenyan schoolchildren: a Bayesian hierarchical modelling approachArtemis Koukounari
Schistosomiasis Control Initiative, Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Int J Parasitol 38:1663-71. 2008....
- Determination of ED50 values for praziquantel in praziquantel-resistant and -susceptible Schistosoma mansoni isolatesDonato Cioli
Institute of Cell Biology, 32 Via Ramarini, 00016 Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
Int J Parasitol 34:979-87. 2004....
- Age-adjusted Plasmodium falciparum antibody levels in school-aged children are a stable marker of microgeographical variations in exposure to Plasmodium infectionShona Wilson
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
BMC Infect Dis 7:67. 2007....
- Comparison of a polymerase chain reaction and the Kato-Katz technique for diagnosing infection with Schistosoma mansoniLuis A Pontes
Laboratory of Clinical Research, Centro de Pesquisas Rene Rachou, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:652-6. 2003..The efficacy of cure with praziquantel was 87.8% in three parasitologic stool examinations and 75.6% in one PCR survey. These results demonstrate that the PCR assay might be a valuable alternative for diagnosing Schistosoma infections...
- Associations between specific antibody responses and resistance to reinfection in a Senegalese population recently exposed to Schistosoma mansoniKim Vereecken
Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 12:431-44. 2007..Resistance to reinfection and production of IgA-SWA was associated with adulthood independently of exposure patterns, suggesting that susceptibility to S. mansoni and the development of protective immune responses is age-dependent...
- The pathogenesis of schistosomiasis is controlled by cooperating IL-10-producing innate effector and regulatory T cellsMatthias Hesse
Laboratories of Parasitic Diseases and Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 172:3157-66. 2004..Thus, innate effectors and regulatory T cells producing IL-10 cooperate to reduce morbidity and prolong survival in schistosomiasis...
- Low dose chronic Schistosoma mansoni infection increases susceptibility to Mycobacterium bovis BCG infection in miceD Elias
Microbiology and Tumour Biology Centre, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Exp Immunol 139:398-404. 2005..This finding is potentially important in the control of TB in helminth endemic parts of the world...
- IMMUNOLOGY OF THE SCHISTOSOME EGG GRANULOMADOV BOROS; Fiscal Year: 2002..of granuloma formation and design immunologic interventions to ameliorate granulomatous pathology in schistosomiasis mansoni. The research objectives are divided into three interrelated areas: 1...
- IMMUNOLOGIC RESPONSES TO SCHISTOSOMA MANSONIDANIEL COLLEY; Fiscal Year: 1992..several interrelated immunologic aspects of the basic host-parasite relationship in the mouse model of schistosomiasis mansoni. This important, wide-spread worm infection is prevalent in much of Africa, the Caribbean and South ..
- SCHISTOSOMIASIS AND CHAGAS DISEASE IN BRAZILCLINT CARTER; Fiscal Year: 1993We propose to build a research program of interdisciplinary studies on human schistosomiasis mansoni and Chagas' disease in Minas Gerias, Brazil...
- SUPPRESSION OF IMMUNOPATHOLOGY IN SCHISTOSMIASIS BY ANTIS Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2001..First, we will study the efficacy, safety, and specificity of action of Ag-Dm in murine schistosomiasis mansoni. Next we will study the mechanisms of action of Ag-Dm and its consequences on the host immune response...
- In vivo panning for schistosome protective epitopesCharles Shoemaker; Fiscal Year: 2005..Compelling evidence comes from the rat model, which, unlike mice and humans, becomes strongly immune to schistosomiasis mansoni, and produces antibodies against adult worm surface epitopes that direct the killing of larval and adult ..
- SCHISTOSOMIASIS AND CHAGAS DISEASE IN BRAZILBarbara Doughty; Fiscal Year: 1999..to extend and expand a research program of interdisciplinary studies on the immunological basis of schistosomiasis mansoni and Chagas' disease in Minas Gerais, Brazil...
- SCHISTOSOME IMMUNITY MECHANISMSRAYMOND DAMIAN; Fiscal Year: 1980Mechanisms of anti-adult worm immunity and evasion in baboon schistosomiasis mansoni are being investigated...
- Disulfide redox balance in Schistosoma mansoniDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2003..Because disulfide redox balance in schistosomes is centered on a single, key enzyme and is fundamentally different from host mechanisms we propose that this pathway is a promising target for novel, rational drug design. ..
- High Throughput Proteome Analysis of Schistosoma mansoniDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..Completion of this project will provide information on significant protein complements of S. mansoni and also validate the use of MudPIT in future proteomic studies to define a comprehensive view of the S. mansoni proteomes. ..
- Developmental Gene Regulation in Schistosoma mansoniDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..mansoni genome and studies using DNA micro arrays. Furthermore, we will validate the use of SAGE technology to study differential global gene expression in S. mansoni. ..
- Mechanisms of anti-schistosome artemisinin chemotherapyDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..mansoni translationally controlled tumor protein. The critical conclusions of this study will direct subsequent future experiments into the molecular mechanism of artemisinin's anti-parasitic activity. ..
- HTS Inhibitors:Schistosoma Mansoni Peroxiredoxins(RMI)David Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will be the first step in the development of novel antischistosome chemotherapies, which are essential for continued public health measures. ..
- SCHISTOSOME EGG INDUCED TH2 RESPONSESEdward Pearce; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- IMMUNOREGULATION IN SCHISTOSOMIASISMiguel Stadecker; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term goal of this project is the achievement of effective and lasting specific T cell tolerance by way of a suitable biological vector capable of delivering the peptides to the host suffering from, or susceptible to, disease. ..
- A gene map for Biomphalaria glabrata, a S. mansoni hostMatty Knight; Fiscal Year: 2009..glabrata genome. ..
- MULTIVALENT VACCINE FOR LYMPHATIC FILARIASISRamaswamy Kalyanasundaram; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies are based on solid preliminary data and are hypotheses driven. Results from these studies, we believe will advance our knowledge towards developing a defined vaccine against lymphatic filariasis in the human. ..
- Modulation of schistosome development by T cell signalsStephen Davies; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific aim 3 will be addressed by examining schistosome infection in IL-2-deficient mice. ..
- Functional genomics of molluscan schistosome developmentTIMOTHY YOSHINO; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results of this work may lead to novel strategies for controlling infections within the snail host by disrupting specific larval development-dependent genes or their products. ..
- Cellular Immune Responses in Subjects Exposed to Hepatitis CSanaa Kamal; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our long-term goal is to mimic this response to develop vaccine strategies or therapeutic protocols capable of preventing persistent hepatitis C infection. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENETICS OF SEVERE HEPATIC FIBROSIS IN SCHISTOSOMIASISRONALD BLANTON; Fiscal Year: 2001..resolution, we propose to quantify the influence of human genetic factors on the development of severe schistosomiasis mansoni and to identify the influence of human genetic factors on the development of severe schistosomiasis ..
- IMMUNE PEPTIDES IN AEDES AEGYPTITIMOTHY YOSHINO; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Immune modualtion of schistosome developmentStephen Davies; Fiscal Year: 2005..Identified genes will provide valuable molecular markers of parasite development for use in subsequent studies. ..
- Hepatitis Virus, Alcohol Exposure and Oxidative StressManal Hassan; Fiscal Year: 2002..Serum Se, GPx activity, lipid peroxides and oxidative DNA damage will be measured in relation to HCV and alcohol intake history. ..
- Features of HCV and Schistosoma mansoni coinfectionSanaa Kamal; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is anticipated that investigating this pattern of viral-parasitic interaction will projects will provide useful information for development of more effective diagnostic, prevention and treatment strategies. ..
- VITAMIN D REGULATION OF TYPE-2 HELPER T CELL RESPONSESMARGHERITA CANTORNA; Fiscal Year: 2004..A better understanding of how vitamin D effectively blocks EAE is necessary for proper nutritional counseling and optimal treatment of multiple sclerosis patients. ..
- Schistosome Calpain as a Vaccine CandidatesAfzal Siddiqui; Fiscal Year: 2002..Of greater importance, these studies should provide new insight into immune mechanisms which can damage worm parasites and establish a model by which to subsequently study the effector mechanisms. ..
- Tumor-Derived CCL5 and Breast Cancer MetastasisROBERT KURT; Fiscal Year: 2005..Collectively, this project will determine whether CCL5 contributes to breast cancer metastasis and whether modulation of immune function is responsible. ..
- HOST IMMUNOMODULATION BY PARASITESRamaswamy Kalyanasundaram; Fiscal Year: 2004..Overall, the findings from these studies we believe might help improve per-cutaneous vaccination against this disease using defined candidate vaccine antigens against schistosomiasis. ..
- Am Soc of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene Annual MeetingGeorge Hillyer; Fiscal Year: 2008..A critical need is to obtain financial support for graduate and postdoctoral students, our future specialists in the different areas of tropical medicine, to attend and be part of the annual meeting of this Society. ..
- Host Genetics and Symptomatic Dengue InfectionRONALD BLANTON; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study may help predict populations at risk, may influence vaccine design or may aid in understanding and managing other viral hemorrhagic fevers. ..
- Molecular Studies of Immunoparasitology in SnailsSi Ming Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2010..This may lead to new methods for blocking the transmission of Schistosomiasis, a snail-borne disease that affects 200 million people worldwide. ..
- Tissue-specific Overexpression of IKKbeta in micePETER MELENDEZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will determine whether tissue-specific increases in lKKb activity cause whole body insulin resistance and further ask whether lKKb activation in one tissue influences insulin sensitivity in others. ..
- Vitamin D Regulation of Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseMARGHERITA CANTORNA; Fiscal Year: 2008..A better understanding of the mechanisms underlying vitamin D regulation of T cells and IBD may lead to improved therapies for patients with IBD. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HOOKWORM LARVAL INFECTIVITY AND DEVELOPMENTPeter Hotez; Fiscal Year: 2002..The pharmacologic manipulation of parasite-derived protein kinases may offer a new approach to chemotherapy by taking larvae out of arrest. ..
- HOST GENETIC CORRELATES IN SCHISTOSOMIASISPhilip Loverde; Fiscal Year: 2004..and crude antigens in a longitudinal study of extended pedigrees residing in different areas endemic for schistosomiasis mansoni. The results of this analysis will provide us with a panel of immune markers (phenotypes) to defined S...
- Conference--Molecular Helminthology, Integrated ApproachPhilip Loverde; Fiscal Year: 2005..Certainly there are fascinating scientific questions waiting to be answered about helminths. Some of those questions have as their central theme the very nature of parasitism. ..
- SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN SCHISTOSOMESPhilip Loverde; Fiscal Year: 2004..We expect to identify useful targets for control of parasite development and/or parasite caused morbidity. ..