Summary: Tumors or cancer of the internal, external, or middle ear.
Publications195 found, 100 shown here
- An unusual presentation and spread of an endolymphatic sac tumorDaniel H Coelho
Department of Otolaryngology, NYU School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Otol Neurotol 29:569-70. 2008
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the temporal bone: a radiographic-pathologic correlationM B Gillespie
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, The Medical University of South Carolina, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 127:803-7. 2001..Prognosis in squamous cell carcinoma of the temporal bone is largely determined by the extent of local disease at the time of presentation...
- Temporal bone carcinomaD M Barrs
Department of Otolaryngology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 34:1197-218, x. 2001..This article summarizes clinical manifestations, differential diagnosis, management, and differences in treatment philosophy...
- Cavernous hemangioma of the tympanic membrane and external ear canalGiuseppe Magliulo
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Audiology and Phoniatrics G Ferreri, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Am J Otolaryngol 28:180-3. 2007..The aims of this study are to document the occurrence of a cavernous hemangioma of the tympanic membrane (TM) and external auditory canal (EAC) that invaded the middle ear spaces and to review the relevant literature...
- Ceruminous gland carcinoma of the external auditory canal presenting as chronic otitis mediaA Selcuk
Ankara Numune Educational and Research Hospital, 4th ENT Clinic, Turkey
B-ENT 3:195-9. 2007..We report a case of carcinoma originating from the ceruminous glands of the external ear canal (EAC), operated based on a diagnosis of chronic otitis media with polyp...
- Cavernous hemangioma of the external ear canalJay B Reeck
Division of Otology, Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Laryngoscope 112:1750-2. 2002..To document the occurrence of a cavernous hemangioma of the external ear canal and to review the relevant literature. STUDY DESIGN Case report and literature review...
- Capillary hemangioma of the tympanic membraneHarukazu Hiraumi
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto City, Japan
Am J Otolaryngol 26:351-2. 2005..After surgical treatment, hearing loss was diminished, and there has not been any sign of recurrence for 3 years despite the positive surgical margin...
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the external auditory canal (EAC)Anthony Bared
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 127:280-4. 2007..Given the difficulty in detecting mucoepidermoid carcinoma in surgical margins by frozen section analysis, patients should be informed of the possibility of further surgery (re-resection) when a conservative approach is used...
- Capillary hemangioma of the middle earPo Jen Hsueh
Department of Otolaryngology, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136:666-7. 2007
- Management of middle ear hemangiomasD A Hecht
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 22:362-6. 2001..If growth of a middle ear hemangioma appears to be causing complications refractory to conservative therapy, then early surgical excision may be indicated...
- Hemangioma of the external auditory canalCharles J Limb
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0910, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 126:74-5. 2002
- Cavernous hemangioma of the bony external auditory canalTsung Han Yang
Department of Otolaryngology, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:890-1. 2006
- Middle ear hemangiona: a case reportHiromi Kojima
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, The Jikei University School of Medicine, 3 25 8 Nishishinbashi Minato Ku, 105 8461 Tokyo, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 35:255-9. 2008..The CT, MRI, angiography, and light microscopy findings of the tumor are documented and compared with those a glomus tumor. The significance of this diagnosis is also discussed...
- Middle ear hemangioma: a case reportCigdem Tokyol
Department of Pathology, Kocatepe University, Afyon, Turkey
Am J Otolaryngol 24:405-7. 2003..A case of a right-sided middle ear hemangioma in a 51-year-old woman who suffered from pulsatile tinnitus is presented with a review of the relevant literature...
- Capillary hemangioma of the middle earTaryn Davids
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
J Otolaryngol 35:196-9. 2006
- Neuroendocrine adenoma of the middle earLester D R Thompson
Department of Pathology, Woodland Hills Medical Center, Southern California Permanente Medical Group, Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 84:560-1. 2005
- Late metastasis of breast adenocarcinoma into internal auditory canal and cerebellopontine angle: case reportEdilson Marques
Department of Neurosurgery, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 60:639-42. 2002..Metastasis is a rare occurrence within the IAC and CPA. Clinical history of severe facial palsy will rise suspicion of malignant tumor in spite of the radiological findings...
- Management outcomes following lateral temporal bone resection for ear and temporal bone malignanciesMichael G Moore
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:893-8. 2007..To evaluate clinical outcomes following lateral temporal bone resection (LTBR) for management of malignancies involving the ear or temporal bone...
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma arising from the eustachian tube and middle earYoung Ho Kim
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Laryngol Otol 117:202-4. 2003..He received combined radiation therapy and chemotherapy and no residual or recurrent tumour was detected after two years of follow-up...
- Malignant cylindroma of the external auditory canalGrigoriy Mashkevich
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York, NY 10003, USA
Otol Neurotol 27:97-101. 2006..This report describes a case of a malignant cylindroma arising in the external auditory canal...
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the external auditory canal: case reportGiuseppe Magliulo
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Audiology and Phoniatrics, Giorgio Ferreri, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Am J Otolaryngol 24:274-7. 2003..The problems in the diagnosis and the possible methods of treatment of mucoepidermoid carcinoma are discussed...
- Solitary metastasis of lung carcinoma to the internal auditory canalAndreas Schrock
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Otolaryngol 27:214-6. 2006..After tumor resection, the histopathologic examination revealed a metastasis of a squamous cell carcinoma. Computed tomographic scan and bronchoscopy identified an asymptomatic primary pulmonary neoplasm...
- Epithelial tumors of the middle ear--are middle ear carcinoids really distinct from middle ear adenomas?Kenneth O Devaney
Department of Pathology, Foote Hospital, Jackson, Michigan, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 123:678-82. 2003..Dense core neurosecretory granules may be identifiable by electron microscopy. Conservative surgical excision is the treatment of choice, and local recurrence following complete excision is quite uncommon...
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the external auditory canal. A case report with diagnosis by fine needle aspirationHarsh Mohan
Departments of Pathology and of Ear, Nose and Throat, Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India
Acta Cytol 47:792-4. 2003....
- Recurrent ceruminous adenocarcinoma of the external auditory canalAntonios Tzagaroulakis
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 65:300-2. 2003..Although recurrences usually occur within months after inadequate management, some may happen even 7 years post treatment. Therefore, routine long-term follow-up was advised...
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma of ceruminous gland: a case reportRajendra S Garbyal
Department of Pathology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 49:587-9. 2006....
- Cancer of the external auditory canalMette Nyrop
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Odense University Hospital, DK 5000 Odense, Denmark
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:834-7. 2002..To evaluate the outcome of surgery for cancer of the external auditory canal and relate this to the Pittsburgh staging system used both on squamous cell carcinoma and non-squamous cell carcinoma...
- A case of highly aggressive adenoid cystic carcinoma of the external auditory canalA De Lucia
Head and Neck Pathology Department, Second University of Naples, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 24:354-6. 2004..A subtotal petrosectomy combined with homolateral elective lymph node neck dissection was performed. Parotid gland, condyle of the mandible and VII cranial nerve were spared since these were free from disease...
- Metastatic carcinoma mimicking a facial nerve schwannoma: the role of computerized tomography in diagnosisR Suryanarayanan
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
J Laryngol Otol 119:1010-2. 2005..The case highlights the importance of keeping a high degree of suspicion for metastatic tumours in patients with a previous history of malignancy and the usefulness of CT scan in the evaluation of such cases...
- Ceruminous gland adenoid cystic carcinoma with contralateral metastasis to the brainPhillip A Conlin
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Tex 79430, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 126:87-9. 2002..This rare neoplasm should be considered in the differential diagnosis of poorly differentiated carcinomas metastatic to the central nervous system in patients with occult malignant neoplasms...
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the external auditory canalFei Dong
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Laryngoscope 118:1591-6. 2008..To describe the clinical history and outcome of patients with adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) of the external auditory canal (EAC)...
- External auditory canal carcinoma involving the temporomandibular joint: two cases presenting as temporomandibular disordersTrevor Treasure
Department of Surgery, Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:465-9. 2002
- Adenoma versus carcinoid tumor of the middle ear: a study of 48 cases and review of the literatureKevin R Torske
Department of Endocrine and Otorhinolaryngic Head and Neck Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D C
Mod Pathol 15:543-55. 2002..Middle ear adenoma most correctly describes their morphologic features and clinical behavior, although neuroendocrine adenoma of the middle ear may be a more accurate designation...
- Ceruminous adenocarcinoma with extensive parotid, cervical, and distant metastases: case report and review of literatureJih Chuan Jan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung City, Taiwan
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:663-6. 2008
- En bloc petrosectomy for malignant tumors involving the external auditory canal and middle ear: surgical methods and long-term outcomeTakeshi Okada
Department of Neurosurgery, Kainan Hospital, Yatomi, Japan
J Neurosurg 108:97-104. 2008..The aim of this study was to describe a method for resecting malignant tumors originating in the external auditory canal or middle ear and requiring en bloc resection of the petrous bone...
- MR imaging features of primary mucosal melanoma of the eustachian tube: report of 2 casesB T Yang
Department of Radiology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 30:431-3. 2009..We discuss the value of using MR imaging to diagnose and treat patients with melanoma in the eustachian tube. In addition, we introduce the key points to differentiate melanoma from some common diseases in the region...
- Differential grading of endolymphatic sac tumor extension by virtue of von Hippel-Lindau disease statusNicholas C Bambakidis
Department of Neurological Surgery, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:773-81. 2004..The goal of this study was to use a newly devised classification system as a means to analyze differences between endolymphatic sac tumor extension in von Hippel-Lindau disease and non-von Hippel-Lindau disease patients...
- Malignancies of the external auditory canal and temporal bone: a reviewP Yeung
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 72:114-20. 2002..Malignancies of the external auditory canal and temporal bone are uncommon. A retrospective review was conducted of a large series treated at the Prince of Wales hospital between 1974 and 1995...
- Tumors of the endolymphatic sac in von Hippel-Lindau diseaseRussell R Lonser
Surgical Neurology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
N Engl J Med 350:2481-6. 2004
- Hemangiomas of the external auditory canalKimberley D Rutherford
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 31:384-6. 2010..In addition, we review the relevant literature with respect to epidemiology, presentation, evaluation, pathology, and management options for hemangiomas arising in the external auditory canal...
- Ceruminous adenomas: a clinicopathologic study of 41 cases with a review of the literatureLester D R Thompson
Department of Endocrine Otorhinolaryngic Head and Neck Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:308-18. 2004..Ceruminous gland neoplasms are rare neoplasms. To date, a large clinicopathologic study of benign ceruminous gland neoplasms has not been reported...
- Origin of endolymphatic sac tumorLeslie Michaels
Department of Histopathology, Royal Free and UCL Medical School, University College London, University Street, London, UK
Head Neck Pathol 1:104-11. 2007..Care should be taken in the evaluation of surgical or autopsy material from EDSs not to overcall any of these normal features as malignant...
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the external auditory canalJack L Pulec
Pulec Ear Clinic, Los Angeles, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 83:9. 2004
- Endolymphatic sac tumor (aggressive papillary tumor of middle ear and temporal bone): sine qua non radiology-pathology and the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center experienceDiana Bell
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 15:117-23. 2011..Precise preoperative anatomic localization and computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging feature interpretation play a paramount role in achieving an accurate final diagnosis...
- Endolymphatic sac tumor in a 4-year-old boyMichael E Kupferman
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:782-6. 2004..Endolymphatic sac tumors (ELST) are rare, low-grade, locally aggressive papillary neoplasms. We present a case of a 4-year-old boy with an ELST, the youngest described in the literature...
- Management of intralabyrinthine schwannomasFilippo Di Lella
Clinica Otorinolaringoiatrica, Universita di Parma, Parma, Italy
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:459-63. 2007..Our protocol to manage the intralabyrinthine schwannoma (ILS)...
- Mode of parotid involvement in external auditory canal carcinomaJae Young Choi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Laryngol Otol 117:951-4. 2003....
- Malignant mucosal melanoma of the eustachian tubeHiroko Tanaka
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation of Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Radiat Med 26:305-8. 2008..Although the head and neck region is the most common site for mucosal melanoma, a melanoma arising in the eustachian tube is rare. Here we present a case of mucosal melanoma arising in the right eustachian tube...
- Mucosal melanoma arising in the eustachian tubeSeung Jae Baek
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Laryngol Otol 120:E17. 2006..Systemic chemotherapy was not utilized in this case; however, it is often used for palliative purposes. A literature review is also presented...
- Nasopharyngeal extension of glomus tympanicum: an unusual clinical and imaging manifestationS Hirunpat
Department of Radiology, Prince of Songkla University Hospital, Songkla, Thailand
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:1820-2. 2006..Only 2 cases have been reported in the literature to date. We present a reported case of a large nasopharyngeal extension of recurrent glomus tympanicum, with various kinds of imaging and histopathology and a review of the literature...
- Malignant amelanotic melanoma of the middle earM Uchida
Department of Otolaryngology, Nantan General Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 127:1126-8. 2001..Although chemohormonal therapy was performed and was slightly effective in reducing the primary tumor, the patient died of acute renal failure. Autopsy confirmed the diagnosis of amelanotic melanoma of the middle ear...
- Primary mucosal melanoma of the eustachian tubeGoran Racic
ENT Department, University Hospital Split, Spinciceva 1, 21000, Split, Croatia
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 261:139-42. 2004..The management of the malignant melanoma neck metastasis should also involve endoscopic examination of the upper aerodigestive tract, since the primary lesion can occur there...
- Endolymphatic sac tumor (aggressive papillary tumor of middle ear and temporal bone): report of two cases with analysis of the VHL geneA Skalova
Department of Pathology, Medical Faculty of Charles University, Pilsen, Czech Republic
Pathol Res Pract 204:599-606. 2008..This mutation is a C to T exchange at position 194, resulting in amino acid exchange S65L. No mutation was found in any of the three exons analyzed and in the exon-intron junctions of the VHL gene in the sporadic case...
- Malignant melanoma of the eustachian tubeC C Lai
Department of Otolaryngology, Veterans General Hospital-Taipei, Taiwan
J Laryngol Otol 115:567-9. 2001..This is an exceedingly rare condition that was treated with endoscopic surgery and post-operative radiotherapy. During a 15-month follow-up, there was no evidence of recurrence...
- Cavernous haemangioma of external ear canalE Covelli
Department of Neurology and Otolaryngology, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Laryngol Otol 122:e19. 2008..The aim of this study was to document the occurrence of a cavernous haemangioma of the external auditory canal, and to review the literature on this pathology...
- Intralabyrinthine schwannomas: diagnosis, management, and a new classification systemRichard J Kennedy
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:160-7. 2004..To outline the diagnosis and management of intralabyrinthine schwannomas and to propose a new classification system to further define them...
- Schwannoma of the external auditory canalMenachem Gross
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery and Pathology, Hadassah Hebrew University Hospital, P O Box 12000, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Auris Nasus Larynx 32:77-9. 2005..The clinical and histologic features, the differential diagnosis, and the treatment of external auditory canal schwannoma is discussed...
- Avoiding misdiagnosis in ceruminous gland tumoursLuis Lassaletta
Department of Otolaryngology, University Hospital, Paseo de la Castellana, 261, 28046 Madrid, Spain
Auris Nasus Larynx 30:287-90. 2003..The benign eccrine cylindroma should be included in the ceruminous gland tumour classification. A wide excisional biopsy should be performed in every EAC lesion. The terms 'ceruminoma' and 'cylindroma' should be avoided...
- Dural tail: another face of facial nerve schwannoma?Alessandro Stasolla
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:1804; author reply 1805. 2006
- Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma of the temporal boneBorlingegowda Viswanatha
ENT Department, Victoria Hospital, Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Ear Nose Throat J 86:218, 220-2. 2007..Despite surgery and chemotherapy, the patient died of his disease within 3 months of presentation...
- [The outcome of treatments for carcinoma of the external auditory canal]S Schmerber
CHRU Grenoble, Service d Oto Rhino Laryngologie, F 38043 Grenoble 09, France
Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 126:165-70. 2005..A retrospective analysis of management and survival of patients treated for temporal bone carcinoma...
- Angioleiomyoma of the external auditory canalPasqualina M Picciotti
Institute of Otorhinolaryngology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Am J Otolaryngol 28:235-7. 2007
- Metastatic renal cell carcinoma presenting in the external auditory canalPeter G Michaelson
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland, TX 78236 5300, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:979-80. 2005
- Capillary haemangioma involving the middle and external ear: radiotherapy as a treatment methodS P Pavamani
Department of Radiation Oncology, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
Australas Radiol 51:394-7. 2007..She was treated with radiotherapy, after the lesion was found to be unsuitable for surgery and embolization. The patient remains well 5 years after completion of treatment...
- Imaging of hearing lossMichele B St Martin
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Florida, PO Box 100264, 1600 SW Archer Road M228, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 41:157-78, vi-vii. 2008..In general, the external auditory canal, middle ear space, mastoid, petrous apex, and otic capsule are best visualized with CT, whereas suspicion of retrocochlear pathology warrants MRI...
- [Own experiences in treatment of the external and middle ear tumors from data collected between 1992-2001]Maciej Wiatr
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii, Collegium Medicum, Uniwersytetu Jagiellonskiego w Krakowie
Przegl Lek 64:462-5. 2007..Only surgical treatment was performed in about 60% of patients. 40% required combined therapy with surgery and postoperative radio and chemiotherapy. 80% of patients survived 5 years after performed treatment...
- [Benign tumors of the external and middle ear from data collected at the Otolaryngologyst Department of the Jagiellonian University in Cracow between 1992-2001]Maciej Wiatr
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii, Collegium Medicum Uniwersytetu Jagiellonskiego w Krakowie
Przegl Lek 64:1004-5. 2007..The best kind of treatment is radical surgical resection of the lesion. In cases when surgical treatment is impossible because of local progression of the disease, radiotherapy should be considered...
- Giant cell tumor of the skull in pediatric patients. Report of two casesJames B Elder
Division of Neurosurgery, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Neurosurg 107:69-74. 2007..To the authors' knowledge, these cases represent the youngest two patients with giant cell tumors of the skull yet described...
- [Malignant neoplasms of external and middle ear]Anna Pajor
Klinika Laryngologii, Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Lodzi
Otolaryngol Pol 59:251-6. 2005..Neoplasms of external and middle ear are rare, which cause several problems in diagnosis and therapy. The purpose of the study was to analyze retrospectively patients with malignant neoplasms of the ear...
- Pathology quiz case: Metastatic osteosarcoma of the external auditory canalChia Huei Chu
Taipei Veterans General Hospital and National Yang Ming University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:109-10. 2006
- Analysis of 95 cases of squamous cell carcinoma of the external and middle earMin Yin
Division of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Sensory Medicine, Akita University School of Medicine, Hondo 1 1 1, Akita 010 8543, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 33:251-7. 2006..To analyze the clinical characteristics, 5-year survival, and prognostic factors of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the external and middle ear...
- Primary middle ear schwannomaChang Woo Kim
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Seoul, Korea
Am J Otolaryngol 28:342-6. 2007..To our knowledge, this is only the second reported case of a patient with Jacobson's nerve schwannoma...
- Endolymphatic sac tumor of temporal boneN C Cimsit
Department of Radiology, Marmara University Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
JBR-BTR 89:120-1. 2006
- Bilateral external auditory canal squamous cell carcinoma: a case reportCagdas Elsurer
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Hacettepe University, 06100, Hacettepe, Ankara, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:941-5. 2007..To our knowledge, our case is the fifth bilateral SCC of the EAC and the first bilateral radiotherapy related SCC of the EAC reported in the literature so far...
- Primary radical radiotherapy for squamous cell carcinoma of the middle ear and external auditory cana--an historical seriesL S Pemberton
Weston Park Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 18:390-4. 2006..To evaluate patients treated with radical radiotherapy alone for squamous cell carcinoma of the middle ear (MEC) and external auditory canal (EAC) in terms of freedom from local recurrence, cancer-specific survival and morbidity...
- Spindle cell carcinoma of the external auditory meatus with intracranial extension: histological, immunohistochemical and electron microscopic evaluationAntonio Quaranta
ENT Clinic G Lugli, Department of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, Bari, Italy
Acta Otolaryngol 127:105-9. 2007..Immunohistochemistry with a large antibody panel found a weak positivity only to EMA. The diagnosis was made when the electron microscopy showed rare junctional structures and tonofilaments...
- Treatment and prognosis of squamous cell carcinoma of the external auditory canal and middle ear: a multi-institutional retrospective review of 87 patientsKazuhiko Ogawa
Department of Radiology, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 68:1326-34. 2007..To examine the relative roles of surgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy in the management of patients with squamous cell carcinomas of the external auditory canal and middle ear...
- External auditory canal and tragal reconstruction following tumor excision: a novel methodA M Botting
Department of Otolaryngology, Waikato Public Hospital, Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2510-1. 2006
- [Expansion of an ceruminous adenoma into the middle ear]M Teschner
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Klinik und Poliklinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde, 30625 Hannover
Laryngorhinootologie 85:444-7. 2006..Owing to a high recurrence rate, complete surgical removal is necessary. Despite its rare occurrence, a ceruminal gland adenoma must be taken into consideration in the differential diagnosis of individual cholesteatoma cases...
- Pathology quiz case 2. Kaposi sarcoma (KS) of the pinna and external auditory canalStephen J Nervi
University of Medicine and Dentistry at New Jersey Medical School, Newark, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:555, 557-8. 2006
- Liposarcoma of temporal bone: a case reportToru Seo
Department of Otolaryngology, Takarazuka Municipal Hospital, 4 5 1, Kohama, Takarazuka, Hyogo 665 0827, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:511-3. 2007..Neither local recurrence nor distant metastasis has been detected for 24 months after the first surgery. The favorable outcome in this patient was probably due to the histological type of his liposarcoma...
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the external auditory canal and middle ear: an operation combined with preoperative chemoradiotherapy and a free surgical marginTakashi Nakagawa
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Otol Neurotol 27:242-8; discussion 249. 2006..Treatment outcomes for squamous cell carcinoma of the temporal bone were evaluated regarding stage, therapeutic strategy, and prognostic factors...
- [Treatment results in external and middle ear malignant neoplasms of patients treated at the Laryngology Department of Medical University of Silesia between 1991-2001]Tatiana Gierek
Klinika Laryngologii Sl AM w Katowicach
Otolaryngol Pol 59:183-7. 2005..The treatment results were much worse in neoplasms of the external auditory canal and the middle ear. Over 3 year follow-up in 10 patients (55%) with ear and temporal bone neoplasms shows no recurrence...
- [Dissecting retroauricular mass following petrosectomy]M Fischer
Universitäts Hals Nasen Ohren Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Essen
HNO 51:580-2. 2003
- [Diagnostic problems in case of middle ear carcinoma]Kazimierz Niemczyk
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii AM w Warszawie
Otolaryngol Pol 57:679-83. 2003..Further, diagnostic problems and methods of treatment are discussed as well as unsuccessful course of the disease, due to extension of the carcinoma, which caused the no total resection of tumour...
- Primary lymphoma of bilateral external auditory canalsJun Shuto
Department of Otolaryngology, University Hospital, Oita Medical University, 1 1 Idaigaoka, Hasama machi, Oita Gun, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Am J Otolaryngol 23:49-52. 2002..To our knowledge, this is the third case of malignant lymphoma originating in the external auditory canal to be reported in the literature, and this is the first report that includes immunohistochemical findings of fresh tissue...
- The learning curve in post-operative hearing results in vestibular schwannoma surgeryJ Kanzaki
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-8582, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 28:209-13. 2001....
- Leiomyoma of the external auditory canal--a case report and brief review of the literatureShiou Yu Yeh
Department of Otolaryngology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, 21, Sec 2 Nan Ya S Rd, Pan Chiao, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:397-9. 2005..The proper treatment of choice is complete excision. In case of an external auditory canal tumor, even if it is believed to be benign before surgery, precise pathologic examination is required to exclude the possibility of malignancy...
- [Adenoid cystic carcinoma with striking intracranial extension: a case report]Tomoyasu Abe
Department of Neurosurgery, Matsuyama Shimin Hospital
No Shinkei Geka 32:851-6. 2004..Histology of the tumor was the same as it was 8 years ago. She was discharged from our hospital without neurological deficits. Two months after surgery, gamma knife radiosurgery was performed against the residual tumor...
- [Inner ear and subarachnoid spaces: relations and diseases]K Marsot-Dupuch
Service de Neuroradiologie, , 75, ,
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 118:171-80. 2001..Therefore, in patients referred for cochleovestibular symptoms, MR and CT study should carefully scrutinise not only the IAM but also the aperture of the cochlear and the vestibular aqueducts and the cerebellopontine meninges...
- Lesions of the cerebellopontine angle and internal auditory canal: diagnosis and differential diagnosisJoel D Swartz
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 25:332-52. 2004..This communication is intended to provide the reader with an approach to this problem. Detailed anatomy of the region is also included in this communication...
- [Carcinoma of the external auditory canal and middle ear: therapeutic strategy and follow up]M Kollert
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenkrankheiten, Kopf, Hals und Plastische Gesichtschirurgie, Kommunikationsstörungen, Klinikum Fulda gAG, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Philipps Universität Marburg
Laryngorhinootologie 83:818-23. 2004..The recommended therapeutic strategy consists of surgical excision and postoperative radiotherapy. However, there are different opinions about the extend of the primary operation...
- Reconstruction of the inner site of the auricle with two local skin flapsTeruichi Harada
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Osaka City University Medical School, Osaka, Japan
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 36:106-8. 2002..After 10 years of the operation auricular disfigurements and recurrence of the tumour are not observed...
- [Surgical treatment of acquired external auditory canal atresia]Grzegorz Namysłowski
Katedra i Oddział Kliniczny Laryngologii Sl AM w Zabrzu
Otolaryngol Pol 56:63-7. 2002..In 28% of the patients recurrent atresia developed. The early surgical treatment is recommended in all the cases because cholesteatoma behind the atresia was found in 28% of patients...
- Invasive fungal and bacterial infections of the temporal boneSam J Marzo
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Loyola University of Chicago, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Laryngoscope 113:1503-7. 2003....
- Meningioma of the internal auditory canal: case reportMarcelo Campos Moraes Amato
Department of Surgery and Anatomy, Ribeirao Preto Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 61:659-62. 2003..The perioperative suspicion and confirmation are very important to deal with the dura and bone infiltration in order to reduce tumor recurrence...
- [CT and MRI characteristics of tumours of the temporal bone and the cerebello-pontine angle]H Imhof
Abteilung für Osteologie Universitätsklinik Radiodiagnostik, AKH Wien, Vienna, Austria
Radiologe 43:219-26. 2003..These imaging methods shall be used complementary and may have a great impact for the therapeutic planning...
- Mesenchymal chondrosarcoma presenting as an external auditory canal massStephanie Moody Antonio
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh, 200 Lothrop Street, Suite 500, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Otol Neurotol 24:344-5. 2003
- [Evaluation of the results of radiotherapy for carcinoma involving the external auditory canal or middle ear]Yasuhiko Shimatani
Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University
Nihon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi 62:739-43. 2002..To evaluate the results and significance of radiotherapy for carcinoma involving the external auditory canal or middle ear...
- Surface structures of aural polyps: a scanning electron microscopic studyJ Skladzien
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Jagiellonian University School of Medicine, Krakow, Poland
J Laryngol Otol 116:420-5. 2002..Incomplete epithelium accompanied by granulation tissue was found in several polyps; in two cholesteatoma-associated polyps plate-like cholesterol crystals were observed...
- [Lasers in otology]S Jovanovic
Universitätsklinikum Benjamin Franklin der FUB, HNO Klinik mit Poliklinik, Berlin
Laryngorhinootologie 82:S21-53. 2003
- Regulation of auditory neuron neurite growth by activityMarlan Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results of these studies will provide critical data on the consequences of electrical activity on SGN neurite growth and cochlear innervation. ..
- Genetic Analysis of Age Related Hearing ImpairmentRick A Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2010..This improved knowledge base can be anticipated to constitute fertile ground for developing new evidence-based preventive and therapeutic approaches to treating ARHI. ..
- Study of a genetic network involved in ear developmentRick Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2005..These and future experiments represent the natural progression from my Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award (K08). ..
- TARGETED RADIOTHERAPY FOR EWING'S SARCOMADouglas Hawkins; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Automated Test of Word Recognition - Phase IIRobert Margolis; Fiscal Year: 2006..A pilot study will test the method on a Spanish-language speech-recognition test. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF VESTIBULAR EFFERENT FUNCTIONP Ashley Wackym; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- TREATMENTS FOR BENIGN PAROXYSMAL POSITIONAL VERTIGOHelen Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2008..4. Determine the influence of rhinosinusitis. A) Determine the prevalence of rhinosinusitis in patients with BPPV. B) Determine if the presence of rhinosinusitis affects severity of symptoms or response to treatment. ..
- Development of Improved Earphone for Hearing TestingRobert Margolis; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this project an earphone is being developed that can be used in both automated and manual testing and will significantly increase the efficiency, accuracy, and accessibility. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Vitamin D Hormone: Function and Mechanism of ActionSYLVIA S CHRISTAKOS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- MANAGEMENT OF ADAPTATION TO ALTERED SENSORIMOTOR STATESHelen Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..