- Clinical manifestations of superior semicircular canal dehiscence
Lloyd B Minor
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Laryngoscope 115:1717-27. 2005
..To investigate hypotheses about the effects of superior canal dehiscence. To analyze the outcomes in patients who underwent surgical repair of the dehiscence...
- Disposition of nanoparticle-based delivery system via inner ear administration
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, Guangdong Pharmaceutical University, Guangzhou, China
Curr Drug Metab 11:886-97. 2010
..The routes and applications for local inner-ear drug delivery will also be mentioned. In closing, this review will give an overview of the potential future development in inner ear administration with nanoparticles...
- Auditory and vestibular hair cell stereocilia: relationship between functionality and inner ear disease
R R Ciuman
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Marienhospital Gelsenkirchen, Germany
J Laryngol Otol 125:991-1003. 2011
..g. Ménière's disease). The anatomical and physiological characteristics of stereocilia are discussed in relation to inner ear malfunctions...
- Communication routes between intracranial spaces and inner ear: function, pathophysiologic importance and relations with inner ear diseases
Raphael R Ciuman
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital of Tubingen, Germany
Am J Otolaryngol 30:193-202. 2009
..They possess a key role in inner ear pressure regulation and fluid homeostasis and are related to inner ear diseases...
- High-resolution CT findings suggest a developmental abnormality underlying superior canal dehiscence syndrome
Timo P Hirvonen
Laboratory of Vestibular Neurophysiology, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0910, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 123:477-81. 2003
..Findings on temporal bone CT were analyzed to determine if a developmental abnormality is associated with the syndrome...
- Management of labyrinthine fistulae in chronic ear surgery
Benjamin J Copeland
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7070, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 24:51-60. 2003
..Results of this critical review were presented at departmental grand rounds. The grand rounds presentation, data and discussion are presented to better illuminate the topic of labyrinthine fistula management...
- [Posterior semicircular canal occlusion with microwave assisted technique in guinea pigs]
Department of Otolaryngology, First Affiliated Hospital, Jinzhou Medical College, Jinzhou 121001
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 15:28-30. 2001
..CONCLUSION: Posterior semicircular occlusion with microwave technique is suggested as an effective and safe treatment for the benign paroxysmal positional vertigo...
- Value of lying-down nystagmus in the lateralization of horizontal semicircular canal benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
Ja Won Koo
Department of Otolaryngology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, Korea
Otol Neurotol 27:367-71. 2006
..We studied the values of nystagmus induced by position change from sitting to supine in the lateralization of horizontal canal benign paroxysmal positional vertigo...
- Dizziness, hyperactive caloric responses, otic capsule demineralization, impaired glucose tolerance, and hyperinsulinemia
Kenneth H Brookler
Neurotologic Associates, New York City, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 85:224, 229. 2006
- Labyrinthine fistulae: pathobiology and management
Lloyd B Minor
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 11:340-6. 2003
- Acoustic responses of vestibular afferents in a model of superior canal dehiscence
John P Carey
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0910, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:345-52. 2004
..Afferents innervating the superior semicircular canal are rendered especially sensitive to acoustic stimulation when there is a dehiscence of the superior canal. Other vestibular end organs are also more sensitive to acoustic stimulation...
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo as a complication of interventions with osteotome and mallet
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1324; author reply 1324. 2006
- Can low frequency sound stimulation during posturography help diagnosing possible perilymphatic fistula in patients with sensorineural hearing loss and/or vertigo?
Department of Otolaryngology, Central Hospital of Satakunta, 28500, Pori, Finland
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 261:129-32. 2004
..In eight cases, Hennebert's sign was present with nystagmus, without PLF. We conclude that pathological responses to the LFS test in posturography can also be encountered in other inner ear diseases without PLF...
- Superior semicircular canal dehiscence syndrome and multi-detector row CT
Hugh D Curtin
Radiology 226:312-4. 2003
- Outcome of hearing and vertigo after surgery for congenital perilymphatic fistula in children
Peter C Weber
Departments of Otolaryngology and Communicative Disorders, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 24:138-42. 2003
..To determine if surgery to repair a perilymphatic fistula (PLF) has any significant morbidity and to determine the outcome of the surgery in regards to hearing and vertiginous symptoms...
- Cavernous angiomas within the internal auditory canal
International Neuroscience Institute and Department of Neurosurgery, Nordstadt Hospital, Klinikum Hannover, Germany
J Neurosurg 105:581-7. 2006
..The aim of this study was to describe the symptomatology, radiological features, and surgical treatment of patients with cavernous angiomas within the internal auditory canal (IAC)...
- Horizontal canal type BPPV: bilaterally affected case treated with canal plugging and Lempert's maneuver
Department of Otolaryngology, Osaka University Medical School, Osaka, Japan
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 65:366-9. 2003
..Canal plugging combined with Lempert's maneuver to the other side is one treatment option for intractable bilateral horizontal canal BPPV...
- Superior semicircular canal dehiscence syndrome: Leaks and squeaks can make you dizzy
Robert W Baloh
Neurology 62:684-5. 2004
- Occult otologic fistulas as a cause of recurrent meningitis
B E Mostafa
Ain Shams University, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt
Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 126:25-8. 2005
..Occult perilymph fistulas may be the cause of unexplained non-epidemic meningitis...
- [Validation of a clinical scale for the diagnosis of perilymphatic fistula]
Institut Georges Portmann, 114 Avenue d Ares, F 33074 Bordeaux cedex, France
Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 126:243-8. 2005
..The goal of this article is to study the clinical situations where you must suspect a PLF and to support a clinical scale described in a previous work (Bussières et al 2003)...
- [Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo of the anterior semicircular canal: clinical aspects and treatment]
Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 126:263-6. 2005
..To describe the videonystagmographic characteristics and the treatment of the patients reached with a canalolithiasis or a cupulolithiasis of the anterior semicircular canal...
- [Horizontal canal benign paroxysmal positional vertigo--its affected side and horizontal semicircular canal function]
Department of Otolaryngology, Nara Medical University, Nara University
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 108:202-6. 2005
..The mechanism causing a difference in caloric test results between canalolithiasis and cupulolithiasis patients thus requires a larger patient population and further examination to be conclusive...
- Superior canal dehiscence is not due to cephalic displacement of the labyrinth
Valeria L Potyagaylo
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1039:498-502. 2005
..Results showed that neither was the case. Instead, the defect may be in the process of ossification above the superior canal...
- Internal auditory canal hyperostosis in myotonic dystrophy
Department of Otolaryngology, La Paz University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Otol Neurotol 26:310-1. 2005
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo due to a simultaneous involvement of both horizontal and posterior semicircular canals
Department of Otolaryngology, Kansai Rosai Hospital, Hyogo, and Department of Otolaryngology, Osaka Universityu Medical School, Japan
Audiol Neurootol 11:198-205. 2006
..The observation of a vertical-torsional positional nystagmus should prompt the specialist to perform not only the canalith repositioning procedure, but also to execute lateral head turns in the supine position...
- Operative management of a posterior semicircular canal dehiscence
Anthony A Mikulec
Department of Otology and Laryngology, Harvard Medical School Massachusetts Eye and Ear InfirmaryBoston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Laryngoscope 116:375-8. 2006
..The objective of this study was to describe the operative management of posterior canal dehiscence...
- Mondini-like malformation mimicking otosclerosis and superior semicircular canal dehiscence
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
J Laryngol Otol 120:419-22. 2006
..Mondini-like cochlear dysplasia should be added to the causes of inner-ear conductive hearing loss...
- [Analysis of auditory steady-state response to multiple simultaneous stimuli and cochlea morphology in guinea pigs with posterior semicircular canal fistula]
Nan ping Xie
Department of Otolaryngology, Zhujiang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510282, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 26:495-7. 2006
..To observe the changes of auditory steady-state response (ASSR) threshold in guinea pigs with posterior semicircular canal fistula...
- "Spontaneous" perilymph fistula: a case report
Patrick J Collison
Yankton Medical Clinic, University of South Dakota School of Medicine, Yankton, South Dakota, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 113:329-34. 2004
..The presence of intact evoked otoacoustic emissions in an ear demonstrating a severe cochlear-type loss was considered helpful in narrowing the differential diagnosis in this case, and may suggest a productive avenue for future study...
- Hearing loss with semicircular canal fistula in exotoxin A-deficient Pseudomonas otitis media
Tariq M Yunus
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Florida, Gainseville, FL 32610 0264, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:430-6. 2004
- Cranial thickness in superior canal dehiscence syndrome: implications for canal resurfacing surgery
David R Friedland
Division of Otology and Neuro otologic Skull Base Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Otol Neurotol 27:346-54. 2006
..To use morphometric analyses of cranial thickness to investigate 2 cases of unanticipated calvarial bone resorption in superior canal dehiscence (SCD) resurfacing surgery...
- Semicircular canal dehiscence: comparison of T2-weighted turbo spin-echo MRI and CT
G A Krombach
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University of Technology, Pauwelstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Neuroradiology 46:326-31. 2004
..MRI imaging thus had a sensitivity of 96% and specificity of 98%. Knowledge of the appearances of this entity on MRI may contribute to early diagnosis in patients with vertigo due to semicircular canal dehiscence...
- Unexpected complication of posterior canal occlusion surgery for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
Syed S Rizvi
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Bay Medical Center, Bay City, Michigan, USA
Otol Neurotol 23:938-40. 2002
- Lateral semicircular canal dehiscence
Marc K Bassim
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7070, USA
Otol Neurotol 28:1155-6. 2007
- Clinical and diagnostic characterization of canal dehiscence syndrome: a great otologic mimicker
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Disorders, Children s Hospital Boston, MA 02115, USA
Otol Neurotol 28:920-6. 2007
..To identify otologic and audiologic characteristics of superior (and posterior) semicircular canal dehiscence (SCD)...
- Vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials in the diagnosis of superior canal dehiscence syndrome
S O Streubel
Laboratory of Vestibular Neurophysiology, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 545:41-9. 2001
..Rather than being based upon a single test, the diagnosis of SCD syndrome is best established when the characteristic symptoms, signs, VEMP response, and CT imaging all indicate SCD...
- Labyrinthine fistula detection: the predictive value of vestibular symptoms and computerized tomography
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, , Oslo, Norway
Acta Otolaryngol 121:622-6. 2001
..In conclusion, the identification of a younger group of patients presenting with fewer symptoms indicates that fistulas should be suspected in all patients undergoing surgery for chronic middle ear and mastoid disease...
- Treatment outcomes of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
Department of Surgery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
J Otolaryngol 30:295-9. 2001
..The sham treatment causes a delay in spontaneous recovery, possibly by preventing the particles from falling into the utricle. This study has not compared the frequency or severity of symptoms...
- Labyrinthine fistulae: a retrospective analysis
Department Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, KUL, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 51:119-21. 1997
..Eighteen percent of the ears were pre-operatively totally deaf. Large fistulae are riskier than smaller ones for post-operative perceptive losses, but even in very large and multiple fistulae the hearing may be preserved in most cases...
- Transmastoid superior semicircular canal occlusion
Sumit K Agrawal
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Otol Neurotol 29:363-7. 2008
..The traditional surgical repair for superior semicircular canal dehiscence (SSCD) involves either canal plugging or resurfacing via the middle cranial fossa approach. We describe a novel transmastoid occlusion technique...
- Pediatric fluctuating sensorineural hearing loss: problems in medical management
E A Dinces
Department of Otolaryngology, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
Laryngoscope 111:21-5. 2001
..In the other patients with positive LTTs, parents or other physicians were often reluctant to treat, or the patient was lost to follow-up. Mean fluctuations varied substantially across all standard audiometric frequencies for all groups...
- Three-dimensional imaging of the inner ear by volume-rendered reconstructions of magnetic resonance data
Neuroradiology Section, Department of Radiology, Charité CM, Schumannstr 20 21, 10098 Berlin, Germany
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:549-53. 2002
..To evaluate 3-dimensional inner ear visualization by volume rendering of high-resolution magnetic resonance data in patients with clinically suspected inner ear abnormality...
- Fluid-particle dynamics in canalithiasis
Institute of Fluid Dynamics, ETH Zurich, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
J R Soc Interface 5:1215-29. 2008
..We propose a set of dimensionless numbers to characterize canalithiasis and derive explicit expressions connecting these dimensionless numbers directly to the typical clinical symptoms...
- [Diagnosis and management of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo]
Hals Nasen Ohrenklinik des Universitätsklinikums Münster
Laryngorhinootologie 81:368-80. 2002
..Although the BPPV usually is a self-limited disorder treatment with a specific bedside maneuver is effective and can shorten the duration of symptoms...
- Intraoperative assessment of perilymphatic fistulas with intrathecal administration of fluorescein
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medical University of Lubeck, Germany
Laryngoscope 112:1614-8. 2002
..To improve objectivity in the intraoperative visualization of perilymphatic fistulas, we used intrathecal fluorescein for perilymph staining to increase the sensitivity and specificity of diagnosis of perilymphatic fistulas...
- An indicator of probable semicircular canal dehiscence: ocular vestibular evoked myogenic potentials to high frequencies
MSA ENT Academy Center, Cassino, Italy
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 149:142-5. 2013
..In 22 healthy subjects, oVEMP n10 at 4000 Hz was not detectable; however, in all 22 CT-verified SSCD patients tested, oVEMP n10 responses were clearly present to 4000 Hz to either ACS or BCV stimuli. ..
- Lipoma of the internal auditory canal and cerebellopontine angle
Gian Gaetano Ferri
Department of Surgical and Anesthesiological Sciences, Ear Nose and Throat Clinic, S Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Otol Neurotol 25:1027-8. 2004
- Current status and prospects of gene therapy for the inner ear
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Xiang Ya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410008, China
Hum Gene Ther 22:1311-22. 2011
..We also discuss the progress and prospects of inner ear gene therapy, the advances and shortcomings, with possible solutions in this field of research...
- Effects of Chlorpheniramine and L-histidine on vestibular compensation in goldfish, Carassius auratus
Aline Cristina Piratello
Laboratory of Neuroscience, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, Via Washington Luis, km 235, 13 565 905, Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil
Neurosci Lett 367:160-3. 2004
..Chlorpheniramine accelerated the functional recovery when compared with that of the saline group. These data suggest that the inhibition of the histaminergic system facilitates the functional recovery in goldfish...
- Tumors of the endolymphatic sac in von Hippel-Lindau disease
Russell R Lonser
Surgical Neurology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
N Engl J Med 350:2481-6. 2004
- Surgical management of the labyrinthine fistula complicating chronic otitis media with or without cholesteatoma
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Audiology and Phoniatrics, University La Sapienza of Rome, Rome, Italy
J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 37:143-7. 2008
..To present our most recent experience on the diagnosis and treatment of the labyrinthine fistula. The relative data are compared with those of our past experiences adopting the same modality of presenting the results...
- Pneumolabyrinth associated with perilymph fistula
Shih Hung Lo
Department of Otolaryngology, Cathay General Hospital, 280, Jen Ai Rd, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 26:690-4. 2003
..Right side exploratory tympanotomy confirmed the presence of a perilymph fistula. The patient was free of symptoms after surgery. Early fistula repair was beneficial in this case...
- [Intratympanic drug delivery for the treatment of inner ear diseases]
Servicio de Otorrinolaringologia, Hospital Universitario Fundacion Alcorcon, Madrid, Espana
Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 61:225-32. 2010
Intratympanic drug delivery for labyrinth diseases is a non-aggressive outpatient procedure where drugs reach high concentrations in the cochlea and minimum systemic diffusion...
- A causative link between inner ear defects and long-term striatal dysfunction
Michelle W Antoine
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Science 341:1120-3. 2013
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo secondary to inner ear disease
No Hee Lee
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Hongik Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 143:413-7. 2010
..To contrast clinical characteristics of secondary benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (s-BPPV) with idiopathic BPPV (i-BPPV)...
- Transient evoked otoacoustic emissions in superior canal dehiscence syndrome
Elsaeid M Thabet
Audiology Unit, ORL Department, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, 60 El Gomhuria st, Mansoura, Egypt
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 268:137-41. 2011
- [Perilymphatic fistula. Diagnostic and therapeutic difficulties]
Clinique ORL, Hotel Dieu, Nantes
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 105:465-75. 1988
..Simple filling of the breach is not always effective, especially at the level of the stapes. Stapedectomy frequently constitutes the best solution for fistulae of the fenestra ovalis...
- The Tullio phenomenon and perilymph fistula
E J Fox
Colorado Ear Clinic, Denver 80210
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 98:88-9. 1988
..Six of these were found to have active, free-flowing fistulas at the time of exploration. The presence of a Tullio phenomenon may be helpful in preoperative assessment of a patient with suspected perilymph fistula...
- Cell therapy for inner ear diseases
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Curr Pharm Des 11:1203-7. 2005
..These cell transplantation findings provide a sound foundation for the development of therapies to treat inner ear disorders...
- Compensation mechanisms after acute peripheral disorders of the labyrinth as a function of age
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Padua
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 42:28-34. 1988
..The study's results are reported, and several problems connected to the interference of the aging process on the mechanism of vestibular compensation are examined...
- Perilymph fistula resulting from microfissures
D B Kamerer
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Eye and Ear Hospital, PA 15213
Am J Otol 8:489-94. 1987
..Speculation as to the type of hearing loss caused by fistulas will be offered. Hypotheses concerning the various symptoms encountered in patients and the location of the defect will also be addressed...
- Radiographic features of superior semicircular canal dehiscence in the setting of chronic ear disease
Brian C Gartrell
Department of Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Radiology, Section of Neuroradiology, Department of Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Section of Otology and Neurotology, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics and Waisman Center, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, U S A
Otol Neurotol 35:91-6. 2014
..To determine if radiologic chronic otitis media (COM), both with and without cholesteatoma, is associated with superior semicircular canal dehiscence (SSCD)...
- Serial audiometry in a clinical trial of AIED treatment
John K Niparko
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Otol Neurotol 26:908-17. 2005
..We sought to characterize the pattern and size of the treatment effect as reflected in clinical audiometry and to identify audiometric predictors of response to steroid treatment of AIED...
- High dose combination pertussis toxin induces autoimmune inner ear disease in Sprague-Dawley rats
Wei Jia Kong
Department of Otolaryngology, Union Hospital of Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Acta Otolaryngol 131:692-700. 2011
..This study also indicated that inner ear-specific antigens can be involved in autoimmune reactions. Cell-mediated immune injury can play an important role in the induction of AIED, at least in the earlier stage...
- A regulated delivery system for inner ear drug application
Shayanne A Lajud
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
J Control Release 166:268-76. 2013
..To evaluate this effect, we tested gentamicin (GENT) in the inner ear following CGP delivery with/without regulation...
- Imaging for cochlear implantation: structuring a clinically relevant report
Head Neck and ENT Imaging Division, Star Imaging and Research Center, Pune, India Electronic address
Clin Radiol 69:e9-e24. 2014
..A constant communication between the imaging specialist and the cochlear implant surgeon improves image interpretation and ensures a successful implantation. ..
- Cogan's syndrome: an autoimmune inner ear disease
ENT Department, Policlinico Umberto I, University of Rome Sapienza, Italy
Autoimmun Rev 12:396-400. 2013
..The objective of our study was to review our current knowledge of the aetiopathogenesis of Cogan's syndrome, including viral infection and autoimmunity, and to discuss disease pathogenesis with relevance to pharmacotherapy...
- Endoscopy of the inner ear
Michael H Fritsch
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Indiana University Medical Center, 702 Barnhill Drive, Suite 0860, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 42:1209-22, Table of Contents. 2009
..Endoscopic inner ear surgery is a challenging, but potentially very useful method to address inner ear problems...
- Intratympanic steroids for inner ear disorders: a review
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Audiol Neurootol 14:373-82. 2009
..The aim of this study was to review the clinical trials of ITS for inner ear disorders...
- Intralabyrinthine schwannomas: imaging diagnosis and classification
K L Salzman
Department of Radiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 84132 2140, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 33:104-9. 2012
..Treatment and prognosis hinge on the appropriate localization of these tumors; thus, a concise terminology that can be used by both the otolaryngologist and radiology communities is desirable...
- Immunosuppressive therapy for autoimmune inner ear disease
Maria C Buniel
Cleveland Clinic, Lerner Research Institute, Department of Immunology, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Immunotherapy 1:425-34. 2009
..Here we discuss the basic science and clinical research surrounding the history of immunosuppressive therapy in AIED...
- Endolymphatic sac tumours
D A Luff
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK
J Laryngol Otol 116:398-401. 2002
..The controversy regarding the cellular origins of adenomatous tumours of the temporal bone is highlighted...
- Anatomical feature of the middle cranial fossa in fetal periods: possible etiology of superior canal dehiscence syndrome
Department of Otolaryngology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 132:385-90. 2012
..This might cause adhesion of the membranous labyrinth to dura as the bony labyrinth develops much later than the membranous labyrinth. This adhesion interferes with ossification and leads to a bony defect in the SSC...
- Reversible peripheral vestibulopathy: the treatment of superior canal dehiscence
Todd A Hillman
Pittsburgh Ear Associates, 420 E North Avenue, Suite 402, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:431-6. 2006
..We have reviewed 30 cases of SCD found at our institution and report their presentation, workup, and response to therapy...
- [3 cases of post-stapedectomy labyrinthine fistula]
Cattedra di ORL,
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 17:436-43. 1997
- THE ABNORMALITIES OF THE INNER EAR IN KREISLER MICE
M S Deol
J Embryol Exp Morphol 12:475-90. 1964
- Do viruses cause inner ear disturbances?
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 70:32-40; discussion 40-1. 2008
..In conclusion, VZV, Coxsackie virus B5 and influenza B virus may be the main causes of inner ear disorder. The spiral and Scarpa's ganglion are potential sites harboring viral DNA for possible latent infection...
- [Traumatic perilymphatic fistulae : about 13 cases]
Hopital Charles Nicolle, Tunis, Tunisie
Tunis Med 89:471-5. 2011
..The diagnosis can be suspected on the bases of the clinical and the audiometrial findings. Indications for exploratory surgery in cases of trauma are vague and not well described...
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo in older women may be related to osteoporosis and osteopenia
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Inselspital, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112:885-9. 2003
..The patients with BPPV had a significantly lower (p < .026) T-score in all groups. Possible pathophysiological mechanisms are discussed to explain the apparent correlation between BPPV and osteopenia or osteoporosis...
- [Intralabyrinthine schwannoma extending into the round window niche and internal auditory canal]
Department of Otolaryngology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 115:687-92. 2012
..Pathological examination showed an Antoni A type schwannoma with fibrous changes of the semicircular canals. We should remember this inner..
- Preoperative high resolution CT and MR imaging in cochlear implantation
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, University Kebangsaan Malaysia
Ann Acad Med Singapore 32:442-5. 2003
- Traces of perilymph detected in epipharyngeal fluid: perilymphatic fistula as a cause of sudden hearing loss diagnosed with beta-trace protein (prostaglandin D synthase) immunoelectrophoresis
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Neurology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Laryngol Otol 115:132-5. 2001
..Upon repeating tympanoscopy there was no obvious labyrinthine fluid egress, but the oval window was sealed with fibrin sponge and fibrin glue. The patient's hearing improved over a period of five months...
- [Episodic attacks of vertigo]
HNO 51:845-58; quiz 859. 2003
- [Recent progress in the diagnosis of otorhinolaryngological diseases--application of functional imaging of the brain]
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 109:75-83. 2006
- Vestibular rehabilitation's effect over the quality of life of geriatric patients with labyrinth disease
Erika Barioni Mantello
Internal Medicine Department, Ribeirao Preto Medical School, Sao Paulo University, SP Brazil
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 74:172-80. 2008
..Dizziness is a symptom that affects the population world over, being more prevalent in the elderly due to the process of functional deterioration of the hearing and vestibular systems with aging...
- Intratympanic administration of methylprednisolone reduces impact of experimental intensive impulse noise trauma on hearing
Department of Otolaryngology, Changhai Hospital, Shanghai, China
Acta Otolaryngol 129:602-7. 2009
..The present findings demonstrated that intratympanic methylprednisolone (MP) reduces the impact of impulse noise trauma on hearing and in part preserves the hair cells from death 1 h after exposure to intensive impulse noise...
- Perilymphatic fistula in guinea pigs: natural evolution versus surgical treatment
Ektor Tsuneo Onishi
Federal University of Sao Paulo Escola Paulista de Medicina
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 76:178-84. 2010
..Perilymphatic fistulas still represent a major treatment challenge. In some cases, its surgical closure can reduce auditory and vestibular sequelae...
- Superior semicircular canal dehiscence presenting as postpartum vertigo
Karen F Watters
Eaton Peabody Laboratory, Department of Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, MA, USA
Otol Neurotol 27:756-68. 2006
..To describe the clinical and diagnostic features of superior semicircular canal dehiscence (SSCD) in patients with postpartum vertigo...
- Computed tomography-based workup of conductive hearing loss with normal middle ear: don't forget superior semicircular canal dehiscence
Christian B Teszler
Otology Neurootology Unit, Fondation Adolphe de Rothschild, Paris, France
Int Tinnitus J 14:53-6. 2008
..The aim of this study is to remind radiologists and otolaryngologists that SSCD should be systematically considered among the etiologies of CHL with normal ME...
- Contrast-enhanced MRI of the inner ear after intratympanic injection of meglumine gadopentetate or gadodiamide hydrate
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Nagoya University, Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 131:130-5. 2011
..There was no morphological change in the stria vascularis after Gd-DTPA or Gd-DTPA-BMA was placed on the round window of guinea pigs...
- Superior semicircular canal dehiscence simulating otosclerosis
G Michael Halmagyi
Neurology Department, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, and the Otolaryngology Department, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Laryngol Otol 117:553-7. 2003
- [Vertigo induced by noise or pressure to the left ear]
D U Seidel
Klinik für HNO Heilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Plastische Operationen, Malteser Krankenhaus St Anna, Albertus Magnus Strasse 33, 47259, Duisburg, Deutschland
HNO 59:596-9. 2011
..CT of the petrous bone showed a bony dehiscence of the left superior semicircular canal. Conservative therapy was initiated as a first step...
- Actinomycosis of the temporal bone with labyrinthine and facial nerve involvement
Department of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital and Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Laryngoscope 117:1999-2001. 2007
..To demonstrate the clinical, radiologic, and pathologic findings of actinomycosis of the temporal bone...
- [Mondini dysplasia: recurrent bacterial meningitis in adolescence]
Instituto de Neurologia y Neurocirugia, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Rev Neurol 39:935-9. 2004
..Congenital deformity of the bony labyrinth can be linked to a fistulous tract communicating it with the intracranial subarachnoid space. Mondini deformity is a frequent malformation in congenitally deaf patients...
- Application of parasagittal surface coil MRI to otoneurological diagnosis
Department of Hearing and Speech Science, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 528:85-90. 1997
..The present method provides a new approach to the assessment of otoneurological disorders...
- Posterior petrous meningiomas: 82 cases
Zhe Bao Wu
Department of Neurosurgery, First Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, People s Republic of China
J Neurosurg 102:284-9. 2005
..The aim of this study was to discuss posterior petrous meningiomas--their classification, clinical manifestations, surgical treatments, and patient outcomes...
- [Cerebellopontine angle and internal auditory canal lipomas: report of four cases and review of the literature]
N Rodriguez Prado
Servicio ORL del Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias, Oviedo
Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 55:126-30. 2004
..We evaluate clinical, histological and radiological characteristics of the cases diagnosed in our Hospital and the results of conservative versus surgical treatment...
- Use of the loud sound stimulation test in diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence syndrome
Ya Feng Yu
Department of Otology and Skull Base Surgery, Eye Ear Nose and Throat Hospital, Fudan University, 83 Fenyang Road, Shanghai, 200031, China
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 268:513-8. 2011
..In addition, the loud sound stimulation test has unique advantages, especially for confirming the affected ear and the corresponding semicircular canal...
- Experimental study of speed-dependent positional nystagmus in benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
Department of Otolaryngology, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 123:709-12. 2003
..The aim of this study was to examine factors determining the symptoms of BPPV using models of canalolithiasis and cupulolithiasis...
- [The evaluation of the efficiency of kinesitherapy in the patients with mixed-type vertigo]
Klinika Otolaryngologii i Onkologii Laryngologicznej II Katedry Otolaryngologii UM w Łodzi
Otolaryngol Pol 66:337-41. 2012
..The aim of this work was to evaluate the efficiency of kinesitherapy in the patients with mixed-type vertigo...
- Intralabyrinthine schwannoma affecting the low but not high frequency function of the vestibulo-ocular reflex: implications for the clinical diagnosis of chronic peripheral vestibular deficits
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 78:772-4. 2007