Genomes and Genes
Summary: A nutritional condition produced by a deficiency of magnesium in the diet, characterized by anorexia, nausea, vomiting, lethargy, and weakness. Symptoms are paresthesias, muscle cramps, irritability, decreased attention span, and mental confusion, possibly requiring months to appear. Deficiency of body magnesium can exist even when serum values are normal. In addition, magnesium deficiency may be organ-selective, since certain tissues become deficient before others. (Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 12th ed, p1936)
Publications238 found, 100 shown here
- Magnesium deficiency impairs fear conditioning in miceMark E Bardgett
Department of Psychology, Northern Kentucky University, One Nunn Drive, Highland Heights, KY 41099, USA
Brain Res 1038:100-6. 2005..The results suggest that magnesium deficiency can lead to specific impairments in emotional memory...
- Magnesium deficiency is associated with insulin resistance in obese childrenMilagros G Huerta
University of Virginia, Department of Pediatrics, Box 800386, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Diabetes Care 28:1175-81. 2005b>Magnesium deficiency has been associated with insulin resistance (IR) and increased risk for type 2 diabetes in adults...
- The nature of the parkinsonism-dementia complex and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis of Guam and magnesium deficiencyKiyomitsu Oyanagi
Department of Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Japan
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 11:S17-23. 2005..The study indicates that continuous low Mg intake for two generations induces exclusive loss of dopaminergic neurons in in rats, and may support the Mg hypothesis in the pathogenesis of PDC of Guam...
- Magnesium deficiency over generations in rats with special references to the pathogenesis of the Parkinsonism-dementia complex and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis of GuamKiyomitsu Oyanagi
Department of Neuropathology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Japan
Neuropathology 26:115-28. 2006..The present study suggests that low Mg intake over generations may be involved in the pathogenesis of substantia nigra degeneration in humans...
- Mutations in the tight-junction gene claudin 19 (CLDN19) are associated with renal magnesium wasting, renal failure, and severe ocular involvementMartin Konrad
University Children s Hospital, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Am J Hum Genet 79:949-57. 2006....
- Silencing TRPM7 mimics the effects of magnesium deficiency in human microvascular endothelial cellsErika Baldoli
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche Luigi Sacco, Universita di Milano, Via GB Grassi, 74, 20157 Milano, Italy
Angiogenesis 15:47-57. 2012..were observed on the production of metalloproteases and on tridimensional organization on matrigel, both magnesium deficiency and silencing of TRPM7 impair cell migration and inhibit growth by arresting the cells in the G0/G1 and G2/..
- Magnesium-deficient diet alters depression- and anxiety-related behavior in mice--influence of desipramine and Hypericum perforatum extractNicolas Singewald
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institute of Pharmacy and CMBI, Leopold Franzens University of Innsbruck, Peter Mayr Str 1, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Neuropharmacology 47:1189-97. 2004..Further, the utility of Mg-depletion as a new screening model for clinically active antidepressant and anxiolytic drugs is suggested...
- Suboptimal magnesium status in the United States: are the health consequences underestimated?Andrea Rosanoff
Center for Magnesium Education and Research, 13 1255 Malama Street, Pahoa, HI 96778, USA
Nutr Rev 70:153-64. 2012..Dietary Reference Intakes determined by balance studies may be misleading if subjects have chronic latent magnesium deficiency but are assumed to be healthy...
- Changes in brain protein expression are linked to magnesium restriction-induced depression-like behaviorNigel Whittle
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Center for Molecular Biosciences, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Amino Acids 40:1231-48. 2011..Collectively, these findings provide first evidence of low magnesium-induced alteration in brain protein levels and biochemical pathways, contributing to central dysregulation in affective disorders...
- Implications of magnesium deficiency in type 2 diabetes: a reviewDharam P Chaudhary
Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana 141004, India
Biol Trace Elem Res 134:119-29. 2010..It is also involved in insulin secretion, binding, and activity. Magnesium deficiency and hypomagnesemia can result from a wide variety of causes, including deficient magnesium intake, ..
- Effects of magnesium intake deficiency on bone metabolism and bone tissue around osseointegrated implantsMarina Montosa Belluci
Department of Oral Diagnosis and Surgery, Araraquara Dental School UNESP, University of Estadual Paulista, Araraquara, Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin Oral Implants Res 22:716-21. 2011..This study evaluated the effect of magnesium dietary deficiency on bone metabolism and bone tissue around implants with established osseointegration...
- Magnesium deficiency induces anxiety and HPA axis dysregulation: modulation by therapeutic drug treatmentS B Sartori
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institute of Pharmacy, and Centre for Molecular Biosciences Innsbruck CMBI, University of Innsbruck, Peter Mayr Strasse 1, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Neuropharmacology 62:304-12. 2012..It is further suggested that dysregulations in the HPA axis may contribute to the hyper-emotionality in response to dietary induced hypomagnesaemia. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Anxiety and Depression'...
- Magnesium deficiency accelerates cellular senescence in cultured human fibroblastsDavid W Killilea
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:5768-73. 2008..Altered cellular physiology has been demonstrated after acute exposure to severe magnesium deficiency, but few reports have addressed the consequences of long-term exposure to moderate magnesium deficiency in ..
- Chronic magnesium deficiency decreases tolerance to hypoxia/reoxygenation injury in mouse heartMakino Watanabe
Department of Physiology, Juntendo University Faculty of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Life Sci 88:658-63. 2011..We examined the influence of chronic Mg deficiency on cardiac tolerance to hypoxia/reoxygenation injury...
- CLDN16 genotype predicts renal decline in familial hypomagnesemia with hypercalciuria and nephrocalcinosisMartin Konrad
Department of Pediatrics, University of Munster, Waldeyerstrasse 22, 48149 Munster, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 19:171-81. 2008
- Magnesium deficiency: does it have a role to play in cataractogenesis?Renu Agarwal
Universiti Teknologi MARA, Faculty of Medicine, Level 20, Tower 1, Science and Technology Complex, 40450 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
Exp Eye Res 101:82-9. 2012..Moreover, the enzymes involved in ATP production and hydrolysis are also magnesium-dependent. Magnesium deficiency by interfering with ATPase functions causes increased intracellular calcium and sodium and decreases ..
- Hypomagnesemia and hypermagnesemiaJoel Michels Topf
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60615, USA
Rev Endocr Metab Disord 4:195-206. 2003
- Magnesium deficiency and osteoporosis: animal and human observationsRobert K Rude
University of Southern California and the Orthopaedic Hospital, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9317, USA
J Nutr Biochem 15:710-6. 2004..In this paper, we will review animal and human evidence of the association of Mg deficiency with osteoporosis and explore possible mechanisms by which this may occur...
- Magnesium deficiency affects mammary epithelial cell proliferation: involvement of oxidative stressFederica I Wolf
Istituto di Patologia Generale, e Centro di Ricerche Oncologiche Giovanni XXIII, Facolta di Medicina, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
Nutr Cancer 61:131-6. 2009..Of note, GST has been shown to modulate cell growth; therefore, we suggest that in low-Mg cells, GST upregulation might have a dual role in protecting against oxidative stress and in modulating cell proliferation...
- The role of magnesium in type 2 diabetes: a brief based-clinical reviewMartha Rodríguez-Morán
Biomedical Research Unit, Mexican Social Security Institute, Predio Canoas 100, Col Los Angeles, 34067 Durango, Dgo Mexico
Magnes Res 24:156-62. 2011..The body of evidence from epidemiological studies consistently shows a strong inverse relationship between dietary magnesium intake and the risk of developing T2D; however, results from clinical trials are scarce and controversial...
- Magnesium deficiency enhances hydrogen peroxide production and oxidative damage in chick embryo hepatocyte in vitroYing Yang
Division of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University CAU, Beijing, 100094, P R China
Biometals 19:71-81. 2006b>Magnesium deficiency and oxidative stress have been identified as correlative factors in many diseases. The origin of free radicals correlated with oxidative damage resulting from Mg-deficiency is unclear at the cellular level...
- Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatmentGeorge A Eby
George Eby Research, 14909 C Fitzhugh Road, Austin, TX 78736, USA
Med Hypotheses 67:362-70. 2006..b>Magnesium deficiency is well known to produce neuropathologies...
- Dietary magnesium deficiency induces heart rhythm changes, impairs glucose tolerance, and decreases serum cholesterol in post menopausal womenForrest H Nielsen
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 26:121-32. 2007..To determine whether or not dietary magnesium restriction to about 33% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) causes changes in glucose, cholesterol and electrolyte metabolism that could lead to pathologic consequences...
- Magnesium deficiency and endothelial dysfunction: is oxidative stress involved?Federica I Wolf
Istituto di Patologia Generale, e Centro di Ricerche Oncologiche Giovanni XXIII, Facolta di Medicina, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Roma, Italy
Magnes Res 21:58-64. 2008..We conclude that low Mg transiently leads to pro-oxidant effects. We suggest that different molecules, including pro-inflammatory cytokines, might be involved in promoting endothelial dysfunction...
- A long-term moderate magnesium-deficient diet aggravates cardiovascular risks associated with aging and increases mortality in ratsMarcus Adrian
EA3921 Metabolic and cellular optimisation, Universite de Franche Comte, UFR Sciences Médicales et Pharmaceutiques, Besancon, France
J Hypertens 26:44-52. 2008....
- Elevated concentrations of TNF-alpha are related to low serum magnesium levels in obese subjectsMartha Rodríguez-Morán
Medical Research Unit in Clinical Epidemiology, General Hospital of the Mexican Social Security Institute, Mexico
Magnes Res 17:189-96. 2004..3, Cl95% 0.9-10.8, P = 0.09, respectively. These data shows that low serum magnesium levels and elevated TNF-alpha are related in the obese subjects. It will be necessary to conduct more studies in order to add new data on this issue...
- Magnesium homeostasis and agingMario Barbagallo
Geriatric Unit, Department of Internal Medicine and Emergent Pathologies, University of Palermo, Italy
Magnes Res 22:235-46. 2009..Mg deficit associated to aging may be at least one of the pathophysiological links that may help to explain the interactions between inflammation and oxidative stress with the aging process and many age-related diseases...
- Vitamin D insufficiency and the blunted PTH response in established osteoporosis: the role of magnesium deficiencyO Sahota
Department of Health Care of the Elderly, Queens Medical Centre, University Hospital, B Floor South Block, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, UK
Osteoporos Int 17:1013-21. 2006....
- Serum ionized magnesium levels in relation to metabolic syndrome in type 2 diabetic patientsFrancesco Corica
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
J Am Coll Nutr 25:210-5. 2006..To evaluate circulating serum ionized magnesium (i-Mg) concentrations in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, and to investigate its relationship with the components of the metabolic syndrome...
- Lower serum magnesium levels are associated with more rapid decline of renal function in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2P C T Pham
Department of Medicine, Nephrology Division, Olive View UCLA Medical Center, Sylmar, CA 91342, USA
Clin Nephrol 63:429-36. 2005....
- Low serum magnesium levels and foot ulcers in subjects with type 2 diabetesM Rodriguez-Moran
Unidad de Investigacion Medica en Epidemiologia Clinica, Hospital General, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social IMSS, Durango, Mexico
Arch Med Res 32:300-3. 2001..Thus, the aim of this study was to determine the relationship between low serum magnesium and foot ulcer in subjects with type 2 diabetes...
- Serum and intracellular magnesium deficiency in patients with metabolic syndrome--evidences for its relation to insulin resistanceMaria de Lourdes Lima
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Bahia, Brazil
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 83:257-62. 2009..This depletion may contribute to a post-receptor insulin resistance...
- Long-term moderate magnesium-deficient diet shows relationships between blood pressure, inflammation and oxidant stress defense in aging ratsDenis Blache
INSERM U 498, Biochimie des Lipoprotéines, Dijon, F 21079, France
Free Radic Biol Med 41:277-84. 2006..Extrapolating to the human situation and given that Mg deficiency has been reported to be surprisingly common, particularly in the elderly, Mg supplementation might be useful as an adjuvant therapy in preventing cardiovascular disease...
- Mechanisms of cataractogenesis in the presence of magnesium deficiencyRenu Agarwal
Universiti Teknologi MARA, Faculty of Medicine, Level 20, Tower 1, Science and Technology Complex, 40450 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
Magnes Res 26:2-8. 2013..Therefore, Mg supplementation may be of therapeutic value in preventing the onset and progression of cataracts in conditions associated with Mg deficiency...
- Increase in complement component C3 is an early response to experimental magnesium deficiency in ratsF I Bussière
Centre de Recherches en Nutrition Humaine d Auvergne, Unite Maladies Metaboliques et Micronutriments, INRA, Theix, 63122 St Genes Champanelle, France
Life Sci 73:499-507. 2003..However, complement activation does not appear to be involved in the acute phase of the deficiency...
- Magnesium and diabetes mellitus: their relationCristiane Hermes Sales
Departamento de Nutricao, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte, UFRN, Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Av General Cordeiro de Farias, S N, Petropolis, Natal RN, 59010 180, Brazil
Clin Nutr 25:554-62. 2006..The magnesium deficiency has been associated with chronic diseases, amongst them, diabetes mellitus...
- Hereditary etiologies of hypomagnesemiaAmir Said Alizadeh Naderi
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 8837, USA
Nat Clin Pract Nephrol 4:80-9. 2008..After presenting an overview of magnesium homeostasis, we review the etiologies of hypomagnesemia, with an emphasis on hereditary causes...
- Anemia and iron, zinc, copper and magnesium deficiency in Mexican adolescents: National Health and Nutrition Survey 2006Vanessa De la Cruz-Góngora
Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Salud Publica Mex 54:135-45. 2012..To describe the frequency of anemia and iron, zinc, copper and magnesium deficiencies among Mexican adolescents in the probabilistic survey ENSANUT 2006...
- Magnesium: its proven and potential clinical significanceC Fox
Department of Family Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, 14215, USA
South Med J 94:1195-201. 2001..b>Magnesium deficiency has been shown to correlate with a number of chronic cardiovascular diseases, including hypertension, ..
- Reproductive and neurobehavioral outcome of drinking purified water under magnesium deficiency in the rat's dietHui Zeng
Department of Environmental Hygiene, College of Military Preventive Medicine, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Food Chem Toxicol 46:1495-502. 2008..decrease maternal magnesium level slightly, induce offspring's development retardation, especially when the magnesium deficiency in the diet...
- Endothelial cells and magnesium: implications in atherosclerosisJeanette A M Maier
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche L Sacco, Universita di Milano, Via G B Grassi 74, Milano, Italy
Clin Sci (Lond) 122:397-407. 2012..In the light of epidemiological and experimental studies, magnesium deficiency is emerging as an inducer of endothelial dysfunction...
- Effects of low dietary magnesium intake on development of hypertension in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats: role of reactive oxygen speciesRhian M Touyz
Multidisciplinary Research Group on Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, Canada
J Hypertens 20:2221-32. 2002....
- Effects of vitamin K2 (menatetrenone) and alendronate on bone mineral density and bone strength in rats fed a low-magnesium dietM Kobayashi
Pharmacological Evaluation Section, Department of Applied Drug Research, Eisai Co, Ltd, Bunkyo, Tokyo 112 8088, Japan
Bone 35:1136-43. 2004..Our results from this model suggest that MK-4 and ALN affect bone mechanical properties by different mechanisms...
- Functional characterization of human SLC41A1, a Mg2+ transporter with similarity to prokaryotic MgtE Mg2+ transportersAngela Goytain
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Physiol Genomics 21:337-42. 2005..is present in many tissues, notably renal epithelial cells, and is upregulated in some tissues with magnesium deficiency. These studies suggest that SLC41A1 is a regulated Mg2+ transporter that might be involved in magnesium ..
- Obesity induced magnesium deficiency can be treated by vitamin D supplementationMahdieh Abbasalizad Farhanghi
Nutritional Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences
J Pak Med Assoc 59:258-61. 2009..To determine the effect of vitamin D injection on Serum Magnesium concentration in obese and non obese women...
- Magnesium deficiency: effect on bone and mineral metabolism in the mouseR K Rude
University of Southern California and the Orthopaedic Hospital, 2025 Zonal Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 72:32-41. 2003....
- The multifaceted and widespread pathology of magnesium deficiencyS Johnson
Med Hypotheses 56:163-70. 2001....
- Model of cardiovascular injury in magnesium deficiencyK Shivakumar
Division of Cellular and Molecular Cardiology, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandrum, India
Med Hypotheses 56:110-3. 2001b>Magnesium deficiency is known to produce cardiovascular lesions...
- Magnesium deficiency-induced osteoporosis in the rat: uncoupling of bone formation and bone resorptionR K Rude
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
Magnes Res 12:257-67. 1999..While the fall in PTH and/or 1.25(OH)2-D may explain a decrease in osteoblast activity, the mechanism for increased osteoclast activity is unclear. These data suggest that Mg deficiency may be a risk factor for osteoporosis...
- Effect of magnesium deficiency on blood pressure and mechanical properties of rat carotid arteryP Laurant
Laboratoire Physiologie, Pharmacologie, et Nutrition Pr and eacute
Hypertension 33:1105-10. 1999....
- Prolonged magnesium deficiency causes osteoporosis in the ratG Stendig-Lindberg
Dept Physiol and Pharmacol, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv 69978, Israel
J Am Coll Nutr 23:704S-11S. 2004..Peroral magnesium (Mg) administration, used as the only treatment in postmenopausal osteoporosis, has been shown to cause a significant increase of BD...
- Magnesium deficiency promotes a pro-atherogenic phenotype in cultured human endothelial cells via activation of NFkBSilvia Ferrè
Department of Clinical Sciences L Sacco, Universita di Milano, Milano, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1802:952-8. 2010..Several data indicate that magnesium deficiency caused by prolonged insufficient intake and/or defects in its homeostasis may be a missing link between ..
- Magnesium deficiency in African-Americans: does it contribute to increased cardiovascular risk factors?Chester H Fox
Department of Family Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, ECMC, Clinical Center, 462 Grider Street, Buffalo, NY 14215, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 95:257-62. 2003..Studies suggest a greater prevalence of occult magnesium deficiency among African-Americans compared to other populations...
- Increased phagocytosis and production of reactive oxygen species by neutrophils during magnesium deficiency in rats and inhibition by high magnesium concentrationFrancoise I Bussiere
Centre de Recherches en Nutrition Humaine d Auvergne, Unite Maladies Metaboliques et Micronutriments, INRA, Theix, St Genes Champanelle, France
Br J Nutr 87:107-13. 2002..From this work, it appears that PMN activation is an early consequence of Mg deficiency and that high extracellular Mg concentration inhibits free radicals generation...
- Changes in N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminidase activity in the urine and urinary albumin excretion in magnesium deficient ratsHiroshi Matsuzaki
Department of Nutrition, Junior College of Tokyo University of Agriculture, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:192-4. 2002..We suggest that Mg-deficient diet rapidly induces kidney function insufficiency...
- Effect of severe dietary magnesium deficiency on systemic bone density and removal torque of osseointegrated implantsRicardo Andres Landazuri Del Barrio
Department of Oral Diagnosis and Surgery, Araraquara Dental School, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Araraquara, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 25:1125-30. 2010..This study evaluated the effect of severe magnesium (Mg) dietary deficiency on systemic bone density and biomechanical resistance of bone tissue to the removal torque of osseointegrated implants...
- Magnesium deficiency induces apoptosis in primary cultures of rat hepatocytesHelene Martin
Laboratoire de Physiologie, UFR des Sciences Médicales et Pharmaceutiques, Besancon, France
J Nutr 133:2505-11. 2003....
- Mutation in the tight-junction gene claudin 19 (CLDN19) and familial hypomagnesemia, hypercalciuria, nephrocalcinosis (FHHNC) and severe ocular diseaseMuhammad Naeem
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
Am J Nephrol 34:241-8. 2011..The aim of the study was to investigate the molecular genetic defect underlying FHHNC in a consanguineous Pakistani family...
- Hypomagnesemia and chondrocalcinosis in short bowel syndromePascal Richette
Fédération de Rhumatologie and Service d hépatogastroenterologie et d assistance nutritive, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
J Rheumatol 32:2434-6. 2005..The underlying intestinal pathology was radiation enteritis in 2 patients and mesenteric arterial thrombosis in the third. Our observations strengthen the hypothesis of a role for magnesium in CPPD crystal deposition disease...
- Magnesium deficiency in heart failure patients with diabetes mellitusSurraiya Shaikh
Department of Biochemistry, BMSI, JPMC, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 61:901-3. 2011..To assess the serum magnesium level in heart failure patients with diabetes mellitus...
- The underestimated problem of using serum magnesium measurements to exclude magnesium deficiency in adults; a health warning is needed for "normal" resultsYasmin Ismail
Severn and Wessex Deanery, Bristol, Avon, UK
Clin Chem Lab Med 48:323-7. 2010..However, numerous studies have shown that magnesium deficiency is common and may be present in over 10% of hospitalized patients, as well as in the general population...
- Renal, ocular, and neuromuscular involvements in patients with CLDN19 mutationsStanislas Faguer
Service de Néphrologie et Immunologie Clinique, Centre de Référence des Maladies Rénales Rares, CHU Toulouse, Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:355-60. 2011..The objective of this study was to describe the renal and extrarenal findings in patients with recessively inherited familial hypomagnesemia with hypercalciuria and nephrocalcinosis (FHHNC) associated with CLDN19 mutations...
- A case of magnesium deficiency associated with insufficient parathyroid hormone action and severe osteoporosisIppei Kanazawa
Department of Internal Medicine 1, Shimane University Faculty of Medicine, Shimane, Japan
Endocr J 54:935-40. 2007..These processes were probably linked to her severe osteoporosis, which was reversed by Mg supplementation...
- Disorders of magnesium metabolismJ L Nadler
Department of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, City of Hope Medical Center, Duarte, California, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 24:623-41. 1995..Physicians should maintain a high index of suspicion for magnesium depletion in patients at high risk and should implement therapy early...
- Effect of magnesium chloride and magnesium L-aspartate on seizure threshold in rats under conditions of dietary magnesium deficiencyA A Spasov
Institute of Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Volgograd State Medical University
Bull Exp Biol Med 144:214-6. 2007..Seizure threshold and latencies of the first jerk and first episode of clonic seizures increased over 3 weeks after peroral administration of Mg2+ salts. The combination of Mg2+ salts and pyridoxine was most effective in this respect...
- Magnesium deficiency in pregnant rats alters methylation of specific cytosines in the hepatic hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase-2 promoter of the offspringJunji Takaya
Department of Pediatrics, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan
Epigenetics 6:573-8. 2011..Therefore, a Mg-deficient diet alters glucocorticoid metabolism, predicting higher hepatic intracellular glucocorticoid concentrations, and is possibly a key mechanism that induces the metabolic complications of Mg deficiency...
- A connection between magnesium deficiency and aging: new insights from cellular studiesDavid W Killilea
Nutrition and Metabolism Center, Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, 5700 Martin Luther King Jr Way, Oakland, CA, USA
Magnes Res 21:77-82. 2008....
- Enhanced susceptibility to MPTP neurotoxicity in magnesium-deficient C57BL/6N miceAkiko Muroyama
Department of Alternative Medicine, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokuriku University, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 1181, Japan
Neurosci Res 63:72-5. 2009..These results indicate that Mg(2+)-deficient mice with altered emotional behavior appear to increase the susceptibility to MPTP neurotoxicity in C57BL/6N mice...
- Intra-erythrocyte magnesium levels and their clinical implications in geriatric outpatientsZ Ulger
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Nutr Health Aging 14:810-4. 2010b>Magnesium deficiency has been implicated as a factor in numerous chronic diseases and previous studies suggest a greater prevalence of occult magnesium deficiency among older adults...
- Magnesium deficiency is associated with periodontal diseaseP Meisel
Department of Pharmacology, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, F Loeffler Str 23d, D 17487 Greifswald, Germany
J Dent Res 84:937-41. 2005..005). Subjects taking Mg drugs showed less attachment loss (p<0.01) and more remaining teeth than did their matched counterparts. These results suggest that nutritional magnesium supplementation may improve periodontal health...
- Magnesium deficiency during lactation as a precipitant of ventricular tachyarrhythmiasTheofanie Mela
Division of Cardiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 25:231-3. 2002..Numerous short runs of polymorphic ventricular tachycardia/ventricular fibrillation resolved with aggressive replacement of magnesium and elimination of breast-feeding...
- Magnesium deficiency upregulates serine palmitoyl transferase (SPT 1 and SPT 2) in cardiovascular tissues: relationship to serum ionized Mg and cytochrome cBurton M Altura
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, SUNY Downstate Medical Ctr, 450 Clarkson Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 11203 2098, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 299:H932-8. 2010..Low levels of drinking water Mg were cardio- and vasculoprotective...
- Magnesium deficiency and cardiogenic shock after cardiopulmonary bypassW Storm
MeritCare Children s Hospital, Fargo, North Dakota 58122, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 64:572-7. 1997..The potential for magnesium deficiency to affect cardiovascular performance may be especially relevant in ischemic states...
- Skeletal and hormonal effects of magnesium deficiencyRobert K Rude
USC Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 28:131-41. 2009..These data support the notion at dietary Mg intake at levels not uncommon in humans may perturb bone and mineral metabolism and be a risk factor for osteoporosis...
- Magnesium, inflammation, and obesity in chronic diseaseForrest H Nielsen
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, North Dakota 58202 9034, USA
Nutr Rev 68:333-40. 2010..the estimated average requirement for magnesium, but widespread pathological conditions attributed to magnesium deficiency have not been reported...
- Association between magnesium intake and depression and anxiety in community-dwelling adults: the Hordaland Health StudyFelice N Jacka
University of Melbourne, Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences Barwon Health, Vic, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 43:45-52. 2009..This sample consisted of 5708 individuals aged 46-49 or 70-74 years who participated in the Hordaland Health Study in Western Norway...
- Mechanism of hypokalemia in magnesium deficiencyChou Long Huang
UT Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Medicine, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 8856, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2649-52. 2007b>Magnesium deficiency is frequently associated with hypokalemia. Concomitant magnesium deficiency aggravates hypokalemia and renders it refractory to treatment by potassium...
- Short-term magnesium deficiency results in decreased levels of serum sphingomyelin, lipid peroxidation, and apoptosis in cardiovascular tissuesBurton M Altura
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11203 2098, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H86-92. 2009..e., 15 parts.million(-1).day(-1)) were cardio- and vascular protective. In addition, we demonstrate that short-term dietary deficiency of Mg probably results in a downregulation of SM synthase and a decreased synthesis of PC...
- Neuroprotective gene profile in the brain of magnesium-deficient miceMichele German-Fattal
Universite Paris Sud 11, Faculte de Pharmacie, Chatenay Malabry Cedex F 92296, France
Biomed Pharmacother 62:264-72. 2008..In the current study, we explore endothelial cell activation, inflammation and cell death induced in the brain of adult mice by Mg-deficient diet...
- Serum magnesium level among pregnant women in a rural community of Haryana State, IndiaP Pathak
Department of Human Nutrition, New Delhi, India
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1504-6. 2003..Assessment of serum magnesium levels among pregnant women in a rural community...
- Magnesium deficiency and metabolic syndrome: stress and inflammation may reflect calcium activationYves Rayssiguier
INRA, UMR 1019, UNH, CRNH Auvergne, Clermont Universite, Universite d Auvergne, Unite de Nutrition Humaine, Clermont Ferrand, France
Magnes Res 23:73-80. 2010..Recent findings support the hypothesis that the Mg effect on intracellular Ca2+ homeostasis may be a common link between stress, inflammation and a possible relationship to metabolic syndrome...
- Familial hypomagnesaemia with hypercalciuria and nephrocalcinosis maps to chromosome 3q27 and is associated with mutations in the PCLN-1 geneS Weber
Department of Pediatrics, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Eur J Hum Genet 8:414-22. 2000..This study confirms the implication of paracellin-1 defects in FHHNC and points to a predominant role of this protein in the paracellular reabsorption of divalent cations in the TAL...
- Maternal and perinatal magnesium restriction predisposes rat pups to insulin resistance and glucose intoleranceLagishetty Venu
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad 500 007 India
J Nutr 135:1353-8. 2005..Thus, maternal magnesium restriction irreversibly increases body fat and induces insulin resistance in pups by 6 mo of age, whereas additional perinatal Mg deficiency impairs glucose tolerance...
- Long-term effects of maternal magnesium restriction on adiposity and insulin resistance in rat pupsLagishetty Venu
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, India
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:1270-6. 2008..We investigated the long-term effects of maternal/postnatal magnesium (Mg) restriction on adiposity, glucose tolerance, and insulin secretion in the offspring and the probable biochemical mechanisms associated with them...
- Magnesium deficiency inhibits primary tumor growth but favors metastasis in miceAnna Nasulewicz
Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, Polish Academy of Sciences, 12 R Weigl Street, 53 114 Wrocław, Poland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1739:26-32. 2004..In conclusion, our results demonstrate a direct role of magnesium in tumor growth and also point at deleterious effect of low magnesium status on tumor metastasis...
- Magnesium metabolism in hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitusMario Barbagallo
Institute of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, University of Palermo, Italy
Am J Ther 14:375-85. 2007..in regulating insulin sensitivity as well as vascular tone, and blood-pressure homeostasis; (b) that magnesium deficiency, defined on the basis of intracellular free magnesium levels, and or serum ionized magnesium is a common ..
- Magnesium and exerciseCaroline H Bohl
University of Massachusetts, Department of Nutrition, Amherst 01003, USA
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 42:533-63. 2002..However, the intake of magnesium in humans is often suboptimal. Magnesium deficiency may lead to changes in gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, and neuromuscular function...
- Magnesium deficiency in critical illnessGarrison M Tong
University of Southern California, School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9317, USA
J Intensive Care Med 20:3-17. 2005....
- Dominant isolated renal magnesium loss is caused by misrouting of the Na(+),K(+)-ATPase gamma-subunitI C Meij
Department of Pediatrics, Institute of Cellular Signaling, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 26:265-6. 2000..We identified a putative dominant-negative mutation in the gene encoding the Na(+), K(+)-ATPase gamma-subunit (FXYD2), leading to defective routing of the protein in a family with dominant renal hypomagnesaemia...
- [Magnesium deficiency--benefits of "life salt nuti ma-su"]Masahiko Nomura
Saitama Medical School, Department of Physiology
Clin Calcium 14:71-5. 2004..The important role of magnesium is control of higher function of nervous system, behavior, memory and learning in the human. So we have to intake a lot of magnesium from many kinds of salts including sea water...
- The central role of magnesium deficiency in Tourette's syndrome: causal relationships between magnesium deficiency, altered biochemical pathways and symptoms relating to Tourette's syndrome and several reported comorbid conditionsB L Grimaldi
Med Hypotheses 58:47-60. 2002..After thoroughly researching the literature, I hypothesize that magnesium deficiency may be the central precipitating event and common pathway for the subsequent biochemical effects on ..
- Magnesium deficiency during pregnancy in rats increases systolic blood pressure and plasma nitriteMichelle Carlin Schooley
Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Food Science, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602, USA
Am J Hypertens 15:1081-6. 2002..These ionic changes can act to decrease BP and modulate nitric oxide synthesis...
- Paracellin-1, a renal tight junction protein required for paracellular Mg2+ resorptionD B Simon
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Science 285:103-6. 1999..These findings provide insight into Mg2+ homeostasis, demonstrate the role of a tight junction protein in human disease, and identify an essential component of a selective paracellular conductance...
- Relationship between the degree of intracellular magnesium deficiency and the frequency of chest pain in women with variant anginaHangyuan Guo
First Department of Internal Medicine, Fukui Medical University, Fukui, Japan
Herz 29:299-303. 2004This study sought to clarify the relationship between the degree of intracellular magnesium deficiency and the frequency of anginal attacks in women with variant angina.
- Effect of magnesium deficiency on autonomic circulatory regulation in conscious ratsY Murasato
Department of Systems Physiology, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Hypertension 34:247-52. 1999A close relationship between magnesium and cardiovascular function has been reported; however, the effect of magnesium deficiency on autonomic cardiovascular regulation has not been clarified...
- Dominant isolated renal magnesium loss is caused by misrouting of the Na+,K+-ATPase gamma-subunitIwan C Meij
Department of Human Genetics, Institute of Cellular Signaling, University Medical Center Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Ann N Y Acad Sci 986:437-43. 2003....
- Magnesium deficiency increases oxidative stress in ratsChetan Parkash Hans
Department of Biochemistry, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Indian J Exp Biol 40:1275-9. 2002b>Magnesium deficiency has been implicated in the development of atherosclerosis and late diabetic complications, diseases often associated with increased oxidative stress...
- The case for a subcutaneous magnesium product and delivery device for space missionsWilliam J Rowe
J Am Coll Nutr 23:525S-528S. 2004..This could also be protective against decompression sickness and EVA-related 100% oxygen requirements before and during this activity, both of which predispost to EI...
- Magnesium deficiency: effect on bone mineral density in the mouse appendicular skeletonHelen E Gruber
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cannon Bldg, 3rd Floor, Carolinas Medical Center, PO Box 32861, Charlotte, NC 28203, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 4:7. 2003..Dietary magnesium (Mg) deficiency in the mouse perturbs bone and mineral homeostasis. The objective of the present study was to evaluate bone mineral density of the femur in control and Mg-deficient mice...
- [Effect of menatetrenone (V.K2) on bone mineral density and bone strength in Ca/Mg deficient rats]Masatoshi Kobayashi
Department of Applied Drug Research, Eisai Co, Ltd, 4 6 10 Koishikawa, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 112 8088, Japan
Nihon Yakurigaku Zasshi 120:195-204. 2002..V.K2 also improved the decrease in maximum load in spite of no influence on the cortical thickness, cortical area and Mg concentration in the femur. These findings suggest that V.K2 may affect the qualitative change in bone...
- Administration of the oral antibiotic frenolicin-B selectively alters copper nutriture in male ratsD C Kossor
Roche Vitamins Incorporated, Nutley, NJ 07110, USA
J Nutr 131:3247-50. 2001..In rats, FB substantially and selectively depletes Cu in vivo, suggesting that drugs with structures that permit metal chelation should be evaluated for their potential to alter trace metal nutriture...
- Magnesium Deficiency: Global Gene Expression StudyPATRICK SCHULTHEIS; Fiscal Year: 2002..technology to identify genes involved in magnesium homeostasis and to elucidate the mechanisms by which magnesium deficiency leads to various disease states...
- Magnesium Deficiency: Effect on Bone and MineralRobert Rude; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies should substantiate our hypothesis that Mg depletion contributes to osteoporosis and provide mechanistic explanations. ..
- BASIS FOR ALCOHOL AND COCAINE STROKES--ROLE OF MG2+Burton Altura; Fiscal Year: 2004..An understanding of how ethanol and cocaine induce strokes may ultimately suggest new targets for pharmacologic manipulation, and thus, improving the clinical outcome after "binge- drinking" or cocaine intoxication. ..
- The Magnesium and Metabolic Syndrome TrialStella Lucia Volpe; Fiscal Year: 2010There appears to be a strong association between magnesium deficiency and insulin resistance...
- SUBSTANCE P-MEDIATED CARDIOVASCULAR INFLAMMATIONWilliam Weglicki; Fiscal Year: 2009Abstract: Neurogenic inflammation results from magnesium deficiency (MgD), and is mediated by Substance P (SP)...
- MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY INDUCED OSTEOPOROSISRobert Rude; Fiscal Year: 1999..If substantiated, future experiments will be proposed to further define exact mechanisms. The results may have important implications on the prevention of osteoporosis. ..
- HEADACHE RESEARCH CENTERK Welch; Fiscal Year: 1999..migraine is associated with a disorder of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation, possibly secondary to magnesium deficiency. Project 4 uses magnetoencephalography to explore the mechanisms of the migraine attack based on the ..
- SUBSTANCE P-MEDIATED CARDIOVASCULAR INFLAMMATIONWilliam Weglicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..The hypotheses to be pursued in the Research Plan are outlined in Illustration 1. The potential relevance of clinical MgD to proinflammatory events in heart failure and other disease processes is addressed in the text. ..
- Cardiomyopathy: Pro-Oxidant Role of Zidovudine (AZT)William Weglicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed iron chelation and antibiotic intervention strategies may lead to adjunct therapies aimed at lessen AZT-related cardiovascular toxicity. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OXIDATIVE STRESS AND ANTIOXIDANTS IN IRON OVERLOADWilliam Bernard Weglicki; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies may reveal potential benefits of using Ang II receptor blockade and lysosomotropic/antioxidant agents as adjunct therapy for iron-overloaded patients. ..
- Advances in Renal Research: Human Diseases of Protein ProcessingDavid Ellison; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Improving memory after hippocampal cell lossMARK BARDGETT; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results may shed light on new directions in the treatment of memory disorders, and the proposed work will also enhance education in biomedical research among college undergraduates in Kentucky. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Making CKD Guidelines Work in Underserved PracticesChester Fox; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition to testing efficacy, this R01 application will also include a cost-effectiveness analysis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ALA & EPA/DHA (w-3) Effects On Inflammatory Markers in Insulin Resistant AdultsChristopher Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2007..The adults with the metabolic syndrome selected for this study are those that are at increased risk of heart disease, and those most likely to be benefit from the different therapies tested. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Getting a Head Start on Healthier Eating HabitsTheresa Nicklas; Fiscal Year: 2006..g., role modeling, encouragement, repeated exposure) that would be used to reinforce the impact of the FJV commercials on children's FJV preferences and consumption in an ensuing R01 grant. ..
- Effect of Antioxidants on Inflammatory Markers and FMVDChristopher Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Aldosteronism: An Immunostimulatory StateKARL WEBER; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study may identify preclinical markers that predict the development of CHF and cardiac remodeling, and may produce treatment strategies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mg2+ homeostasis in liver cells treated with EtOHAndrea Romani; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- The CIA (Children in Action) ProgramTheresa Nicklas; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Predictors of Children's Serving Sizes & Mealtime IntakeTheresa Nicklas; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding what influences the portion sizes of energy dense foods and FV will provide insight on intervention strategies for decreasing excessive intake of energy dense foods and increasing FV intake early in childhood. ..
- Dynamics of thalamo-cortico-thalamic networksMANUEL CASTRO ALAMANCOS; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Benefits & Risks of Popular Weight Loss DietsChristopher Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2003..The data generated from this preliminary/feasibility study will be used to strengthen the proposal and design of a future full-scale study. ..
- MYOFIBROBLASTS AND THE INFARCTED HEARTKARL WEBER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Insights into these fundamental questions of tissue repair will contribute to prospects for protective interventions that will enable effective management of heart failure of ischemic origin. ..
- Comparing Effects of 3 Sources of Garlic on Serum LipidsChristopher Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2005..The comprehensive approach taken in this study will provide important evidence for both the public and for health professionals as to whether fresh garlic or garlic supplements have beneficial effects on serum lipids. ..
- RENAL POTASSIUM TRANSPORT IN PHYSIOLOGY AND DISEASESChou Long Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..The biochemical studies will be correlated with electrophysiological recording of channel activity. ..
- Validation of Medicare Claims to Define Chemotherapy UseDeborah Schrag; Fiscal Year: 2005..This knowledge has the potential to lay the groundwork for development of an inexpensive and efficient system for monitoring and improving the quality of US cancer care. ..
- Dietary Fiber and Cardiovascular Inflammatory MarkersDana King; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information could serve to guide constructive changes in nutritional guidelines for reducing CVD risk for millions of at-risk individuals. ..
- Oxidative Stress, Antioxidants and Breast Cancer RiskQi Dai; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings from this study will have important public health implications in the primary prevention of breast cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Food Preferences of Ethnic Minority PreschoolersTheresa Nicklas; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MESNA METABOLISM AND DISPOSITIONMARSHALL GOREN; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies also will position us to test the effect of complex combinatorial therapies on cardiac and multi-organ toxicity. ..
- Protective Efficacy of Mg-Supplementation Against NRTI-induced Cardiac ToxicityIVAN MAK; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposed exploratory effort may reveal a potential usefulness of Mg-supplements as an effective, yet relatively inexpensive adjunct therapy to lessen NRTI-related cardiovascular toxicity. ..
- Inflammation, Oxidative Stress and IR in Obese ChildrenMilagros Huerta; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..