Genomes and Genes
Summary: Acidosis caused by accumulation of lactic acid more rapidly than it can be metabolized. It may occur spontaneously or in association with diseases such as diabetes mellitus, leukemia, or liver failure.
Publications277 found, 100 shown here
- Mitochondrial encephalopathy, lactic acidosis, and strokelike episodes: basic concepts, clinical phenotype, and therapeutic management of MELAS syndromeDouglas M Sproule
Columbia University, Pediatric Neurology, 180 Fort Washington Ave, Harkness Pavilion, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1142:133-58. 2008Since the initial description almost 25 years ago, the syndrome of mitochondrial encephalopathy, lactic acidosis, and strokelike episodes (MELAS) has been a useful model to study the complex interplay of factors that define mitochondrial ..
- Mutation of the mitochondrial tyrosyl-tRNA synthetase gene, YARS2, causes myopathy, lactic acidosis, and sideroblastic anemia--MLASA syndromeLisa G Riley
Genetic Metabolic Disorders Research Unit, Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney 2145, Australia
Am J Hum Genet 87:52-9. 2010..by using genome-wide SNP-based homozygosity analysis of a family with affected members displaying myopathy, lactic acidosis, and sideroblastic anemia (MLASA)...
- Controlled clinical trial of dichloroacetate for treatment of congenital lactic acidosis in childrenPeter W Stacpoole
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Pediatrics 117:1519-31. 2006..studies indicate that oral dichloroacetate (DCA) may be effective in treating patients with congenital lactic acidosis. We tested this hypothesis by conducting the first double-blind, randomized, control trial of DCA in this ..
- Metformin, sulfonylureas, or other antidiabetes drugs and the risk of lactic acidosis or hypoglycemia: a nested case-control analysisMichael Bodmer
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Diabetes Care 31:2086-91. 2008b>Lactic acidosis has been associated with use of metformin. Hypoglycemia is a major concern using sulfonylureas...
- Exercise intolerance in mitochondrial myopathy is not related to lactic acidosisJ Vissing
Department of Neurology, National University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Neurol 49:672-6. 2001..This indicates that lactate acidosis is not the primary cause of exercise intolerance in MM...
- Biguanide-induced mitochondrial dysfunction yields increased lactate production and cytotoxicity of aerobically-poised HepG2 cells and human hepatocytes in vitroJames A Dykens
Drug Safety Research and Development, Pfizer, Inc, Ramsgate Rd Sandwich, CT13 9NJ, UK
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 233:203-10. 2008As a class, the biguanides induce lactic acidosis, a hallmark of mitochondrial impairment...
- Detecting life-threatening lactic acidosis related to nucleoside-analog treatment of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients, and treatment with L-carnitineYann Erick Claessens
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Cochin Hospital, 27 rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, F 75679 Paris cedex 14, France
Crit Care Med 31:1042-7. 2003..a blood lactate threshold predictive of survival in human immunodeficiency virus patients experiencing lactic acidosis related to nucleoside analogs, and second, to test l-carnitine for the treatment of patients exceeding that ..
- Lactic acidosis in vivo: testing the link between lactate generation and H+ accumulation in ischemic mouse muscleDavid J Marcinek
Department of Radiology, Box 357115, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98195 7115, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 108:1479-86. 2010..by an analysis of the underlying reactions involved in glycolysis in vivo and supports the concept of lactic acidosis under conditions that substantially elevate lactate and drop pH...
- The strong ion gap predicts mortality in children following cardiopulmonary bypass surgeryAndrew Durward
Department of Pediatric Intensive Care, Guy s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Pediatr Crit Care Med 6:281-5. 2005....
- Mitochondrial myopathy, sideroblastic anemia, and lactic acidosis: an autosomal recessive syndrome in Persian Jews caused by a mutation in the PUS1 geneAvraham Zeharia
Department of Pediatircs, Schneider Children s Medical of Israel, Petah Tiqva
J Child Neurol 20:449-52. 2005We report the seventh case of autosomal recessive inherited mitochondrial myopathy, lactic acidosis, and sideroblastic anemia The patient, a product of consanguineous Persian Jews, had the association of mental retardation, dysmorphic ..
- Lactic acidosis in the rectal lumen of patients with septic shock measured by luminal equilibrium dialysisV Due
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Herlev Hospital, University of Copenhagen, DK 2730 Herlev, Denmark
Br J Anaesth 89:919-22. 2002..Gut ischaemia may contribute to morbidity in sepsis, but little is known about the metabolic state of the gut mucosa in such patients...
- A novel mitochondrial DNA mutation in COX1 leads to strokes, seizures, and lactic acidosisE W Y Tam
Divison of Neurology, Hospital for Sick Children and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Neuropediatrics 39:328-34. 2008..This case highlights that a MELAS-like syndrome can occur with isolated COX deficiency...
- A deletion in the human QP-C gene causes a complex III deficiency resulting in hypoglycaemia and lactic acidosisSandrine Haut
Laboratoire de Biochimie 1, AP HP hôpital de Bicêtre, 78 rue du General Leclerc, Cedex, 94275 Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Hum Genet 113:118-22. 2003....
- Lactic acidosis: recognition, kinetics, and associated prognosisChristopher Vernon
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, UHN 67, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Crit Care Clin 26:255-83, table of contents. 2010b>Lactic acidosis is a common condition encountered by critical care providers. Elevated lactate and decreased lactate clearance are important for prognostication...
- Metformin-associated lactic acidosis: a prognostic and therapeutic studyAlexandre Seidowsky
Department of Critical Care Medicine University Hospital CHRU of Lille, Service de Réanimation Polyvalente Hôpital Roger Salengro, CHRU de Lille, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Crit Care Med 37:2191-6. 2009Metformin-associated lactic acidosis is a rare and serious complication of biguanide treatment. It usually occurs when a precipitating disease induces an acute renal failure and an incidental overdose. Voluntary intoxication is rare...
- Should dialysis be offered in all cases of metformin-associated lactic acidosis?S Neil Finkle
Capital Health, 5089 Dickson Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Crit Care 13:110. 2009Metformin is commonly used in diabetes mellitus type 2, with lactic acidosis being a rare but potentially fatal complication of this therapy. The management of metformin-associated lactic acidosis (MALA) is controversial...
- Deficiency of the alpha subunit of succinate-coenzyme A ligase causes fatal infantile lactic acidosis with mitochondrial DNA depletionElsebet Ostergaard
Department of Clinical Genetics, National University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Hum Genet 81:383-7. 2007Fatal infantile lactic acidosis is a severe metabolic disorder characterized by the onset of lactic acidosis within the 1st d of life and early death...
- Diagnostic accuracy of blood lactate-to-pyruvate molar ratio in the differential diagnosis of congenital lactic acidosisFrançois Guillaume Debray
Department of Pediatrics, Ste Justine Hospital, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Chem 53:916-21. 2007..ratio is used to distinguish between pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency (PDH-D) and other causes of congenital lactic acidosis (CLA), its diagnostic accuracy for differentiating between these 2 types of CLA has not been evaluated ..
- Lactic acidosisDaniel De Backer
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme University Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Route de Lennik 808, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Intensive Care Med 29:699-702. 2003
- Lactic acidosis rates in type 2 diabetesJ B Brown
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, Oregon 97227 1098, USA
Diabetes Care 21:1659-63. 1998To provide a context for the interpretation of lactic acidosis risk among patients using metformin, we measured rates of lactic acidosis in patients with type 2 diabetes before metformin was approved for use in the U.S.
- Bench-to-bedside review: severe lactic acidosis in HIV patients treated with nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitorsYann Erick Claessens
Service de Reanimation Polyvalente, Hôpital Cochin and Institut Cochin, Paris, France
Crit Care 7:226-32. 2003..NRTIs can induce mitochondrial impairment that leads to a number of adverse events, including symptomatic lactic acidosis. In the present review, we describe the underlying mechanism of NRTI-induced toxicity and the main clinical ..
- Reality of severe metformin-induced lactic acidosis in the absence of chronic renal impairmentL A Bruijstens
Department of Internal Medicine, Rijnstate Hospital, PO Box 6500, 6800 TA Arnhem, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 66:185-90. 2008b>Lactic acidosis in metformin use is a widely recognised but rare side effect. Case reports usually describe elderly patients with conditions which in themselves can cause lactic acidosis or with known contraindications to metformin...
- Treatment of lactic acidosis: appropriate confusionJean Sebastien Rachoin
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Cooper University Hospital, Camden, New Jersey 08103, USA
J Hosp Med 5:E1-7. 2010b>Lactic acidosis (LA) is common in hospitalized patients and is associated with poor clinical outcomes. There have been major recent advances in our understanding of lactate generation and physiology...
- Is lactic acidosis a cause of exercise induced hyperventilation at the respiratory compensation point?T Meyer
Institute of Sports and Preventive Medicine, Campus Building 39 1, University of Saarland, Saarbrucken 66123, Germany
Br J Sports Med 38:622-5. 2004..Its physiological meaning has not yet been definitely determined, but the most common explanation is a failure of the body's buffering mechanisms which leads to metabolic (lactic) acidosis. It was intended to test this experimentally...
- Linezolid-associated peripheral and optic neuropathy, lactic acidosis, and serotonin syndromeMasashi Narita
Infectious Disease Section, University of Pittsburgh, Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15240, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:1189-97. 2007..However, more serious adverse effects were reported after commercial release, including cases of lactic acidosis, peripheral and optic neuropathy, and serotonin syndrome...
- Biochemistry of exercise-induced metabolic acidosisRobert A Robergs
Exercise Science Program, Department of Physical Performance and Development, Johnson Center, Rm B143, The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 1258, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287:R502-16. 2004..These biochemical events have been termed lactic acidosis. The lactic acidosis of exercise has been a classic explanation of the biochemistry of acidosis for more than ..
- D(-)-lactic acid-producing probiotics, D(-)-lactic acidosis and infantsDavid R Mack
University of Ottawa and Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 18:671-5. 2004..An appraisal of the current knowledge of this potential adverse effect is the subject of this communication...
- D-lactic acidosis secondary to short bowel syndromeD L Zhang
Research Institute of General Surgery, School of Medicine, Nanjing University, Peoples Republic of China
Postgrad Med J 79:110-2. 2003..A year previously the boy had small intestinal resections leaving 20 cm of small bowel remaining. D-lactic acidosis was diagnosed on the basis of a D-lactate level of 5.23 mmol/l...
- Deficiency of the alpha and beta subunits of pyruvate dehydrogenase in a patient with lactic acidosis and unexpected sudden deathW Sperl
Department of Paediatrics, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 149:487-92. 1990An infant with moderate muscular hypotonia and congenital lactic acidosis died suddenly at the age of 3 months. Autopsy revealed no abnormalities responsible for this unexpected death...
- A high incidence of lactic acidosis and symptomatic hyperlactatemia in women receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy in Soweto, South AfricaM G Bolhaar
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of the Witwatersrand and Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 45:254-60. 2007b>Lactic acidosis and symptomatic hyperlactatemia may complicate nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitor use. Females may be at increased risk for such complications...
- Metformin, heart failure, and lactic acidosis: is metformin absolutely contraindicated?A A Tahrani
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent ST4 6QG
BMJ 335:508-12. 2007
- Childhood onset mitochondrial myopathy and lactic acidosis caused by a stop mutation in the mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase III geneR Horvath
J Med Genet 39:812-6. 2002
- Unmeasured anions in critically ill patients: can they predict mortality?Jens Rocktaeschel
Department of Intensive Care, Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Crit Care Med 31:2131-6. 2003..To determine whether base excess, base excess caused by unmeasured anions, and anion gap can predict lactate in adult critically ill patients, and also to determine whether acid-base variables can predict mortality in these patients...
- Lactic acidosis in children with acute exacerbation of severe asthmaPulin B Koul
Eur J Emerg Med 14:56-8. 2007This is a retrospective case series reporting lactic acidosis in four pediatric patients with acute severe asthma treated with nebulized beta2-agonists in a pediatric intensive care unit of a tertiary care teaching facility...
- Lactic acidosis induced by metformin: incidence, management and preventionJean Daniel Lalau
Service d Endocrinologie Nutrition, Hopital Sud, Amiens, France
Drug Saf 33:727-40. 2010b>Lactic acidosis associated with metformin treatment is a rare but important adverse event, and unravelling the problem is critical...
- D-Lactic acidosis in calvesIngrid Lorenz
School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Vet J 179:197-203. 2009..During the past decade, however, evidence has accumulated that d-lactic acidosis is a more common occurrence in calves with neonatal diarrhoea...
- Higher-than-expected rates of lactic acidosis among highly active antiretroviral therapy-treated women in Botswana: preliminary results from a large randomized clinical trialC William Wester
Botswana Harvard School of Public Health AIDS Initiative Partnership for HIV Research and Education, Gaborone, Botswana
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:318-22. 2007..This has been associated with several long-term mitochondrial toxicities, which include lactic acidosis and pancreatitis, peripheral neuropathy, and lipoatrophy.
- Reduced oxidative stress and blood lactic acidosis in trained breath-hold human diversFabrice Joulia
Laboratoire d Ergonomie du Sport et de la Performance Motrice, UFR STAPS, Université Toulon La Garde, Toulon, France
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 133:121-30. 2002..Thus, human subjects involved in a long duration training programme of breath-hold diving have reduced post-apnea as well as post-exercise blood acidosis and oxidative stress, mimicking the responses of diving animals...
- Fatal lactic acidosis during antiretroviral therapyCorsino Rey
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias, University of Oviedo, Oviedo, Spain
Pediatr Crit Care Med 4:485-7. 2003To describe the first pediatric case of fatal lactic acidosis in an antiretroviral-treated child with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
- Severe lactic acidosis associated with linezolid use in a patient with the mitochondrial DNA A2706G polymorphismJohn Carson
Department of Pharmacy, St Peter s Hospital, Albany, New York 12208, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:771-4. 2007..Its use is associated with reversible hyperlactatemia and lactic acidosis, and inhibition of mitochondrial protein synthesis may be the mechanism underlying this adverse effect...
- Early linezolid-associated lactic acidosis in a patient treated for tuberculous spondylodiscitisP Scotton
Infection 36:387-8. 2008
- Introduction of an additional pathway for lactate oxidation in the treatment of lactic acidosis and mitochondrial dysfunction in Caenorhabditis elegansLeslie I Grad
Department of Biochemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2H7
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:18367-72. 2005..exhibit characteristic features of human mitochondrial disease including decreased rates of respiration and lactic acidosis. We hypothesized that introducing an additional pathway for the direct oxidation of lactate would be ..
- D-lactic acidosis in short-bowel syndrome managed with antibiotics and probioticsHiroo Uchida
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Koshigaya Hospital, Koshigaya, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 39:634-6. 2004D-lactic acidosis sometimes occurs in malabsorbed patients with short-bowel syndrome and is characterized by recurrent episodes of encephalopathy and metabolic acidosis...
- Hyperlactatemia and hepatic abnormalities in 10 human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients receiving nucleoside analogue combination regimensJ T Lonergan
University of California San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA, 92103, USA
Clin Infect Dis 31:162-6. 2000..These observations extend the spectrum of the nucleoside analogue-induced lactic acidosis/hepatic steatosis syndrome by the identification of a subtle and perhaps earlier form, which has ..
- Linezolid-induced lactic acidosisAaron A Apodaca
N Engl J Med 348:86-7. 2003
- Survival with extreme lactic acidosis following ethylene glycol poisoning?Diego Castanares-Zapatero
Can J Anaesth 55:318-9. 2008
- Nonsense mutation in pseudouridylate synthase 1 (PUS1) in two brothers affected by myopathy, lactic acidosis and sideroblastic anaemia (MLASA)Erika Fernandez-Vizarra
Division of Molecular Neurogenetics, Pierfranco and Luisa Mariani Center for the Study of Mitochondrial Disorders of Infancy and Childhood, National Institute of Neurology C Besta, Milan, Italy
J Med Genet 44:173-80. 2007Myopathy, lactic acidosis and sideroblastic anaemia (MLASA) is a rare condition that combines early-onset myopathy with lactic acidosis and sideroblastic anaemia...
- Severe lactic acidosis secondary to minocycline in a teenager with infectious mononucleosis and mitochondrial myopathyRichard M Zoraster
Emergency Department, Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital of Whittier, Whittier, CA 90602, USA
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 110:627-30. 2008..myopathies are heterogeneous disorders with diverse presentations including laboratory findings of lactic acidosis. Often times they are diagnosed in childhood or the early teenage years following an infectious illness...
- Severe lactic acidosis in association with reverse transcriptase inhibitors with potential response to L-carnitine in a pediatric HIV-positive patientRobert W Carter
Department of Pediatrics, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, California, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 18:131-4. 2004We report a case of life-threatening lactic acidosis in a 10-year-old male with HIV stage B2 infection, presumed to be vertically acquired. This occurred after several months of therapy with d4t, ddl, and nevirapine...
- D-Lactic acidosis in calves as a consequence of experimentally induced ruminal acidosisA Gentile
Veterinary Clinical Department, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bologna, Via Tolara di Sopra 50, 40064 Ozzano Emilia, Bologna, Italy
J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 51:64-70. 2004..On the contrary, L-lactate never deviated from physiological levels. These observations confirm that, in young calves as in adult cattle, ruminal acidosis may lead to a clinically manifested D-lactic metabolic acidosis...
- Lactic acidosis in HIV infected children due to antiretroviral therapyIra Shah
Indian Pediatr 42:1051-2. 2005
- Does linezolid cause lactic acidosis by inhibiting mitochondrial protein synthesis?Lluis Palenzuela
Department of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, USA
Clin Infect Dis 40:e113-6. 2005..We studied 3 patients who experienced lactic acidosis while receiving linezolid therapy...
- Phenformin-induced lactic acidosis: a forgotten adverse drug reactionM E McGuinness
Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio 78284
Ann Pharmacother 27:1183-7. 1993To document a case of severe metabolic and lactic acidosis secondary to phenformin. This adverse effect has almost been forgotten as 15 years have passed since its withdrawal from the US market.
- Immunization with Streptococcus bovis protects against lactic acidosis in sheepH S Gill
Division of Animal Science, University of New England, Armidale, Australia
Vaccine 18:2541-8. 2000b>Lactic acidosis is a gastrointestinal disorder resulting from the rapid overgrowth of lactic acid-producing bacteria when ruminants are suddenly introduced to grain feed...
- Immunization with a Streptococcus bovis vaccine administered by different routes against lactic acidosis in sheepQ Shu
Division of Animal Science, University of New England, Armidale, Australia
Vet J 159:262-9. 2000..Streptococcus bovis is an important lactic acid bacterium in the rumen, which contributes to the development of lactic acidosis. This study was designed to test the efficacy of immunization with S. bovis primed either intramuscularly (i...
- Evaluation of long-term treatment of children with congenital lactic acidosis with dichloroacetatePeter W Stacpoole
Department of Medicine, General Clinical Research Center, JHMHC, Gainesville, FL 32610 0226, USA
Pediatrics 121:e1223-8. 2008The purpose of this research was to report results on long-term administration of dichloroacetate in 36 children with congenital lactic acidosis who participated previously in a controlled trial of this drug.
- Lactic acidosis in Gabonese children with severe malaria is unrelated to dehydrationJ N Jarvis
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Infectious Diseases, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 42:1719-25. 2006..Hyperlactatemia is an important and common complication of severe malaria. We investigated changes in fluid compartment volumes in patients with severe malaria and control patients with the use of bioimpedence analysis...
- Mitochondrial encephalomyopathy lactic acidosis and strokelike episodes mimicking occipital idiopathic epilepsyElisabetta Cesaroni
Child Neuropsychiatry Unit, Polytechnic University of the Marche, Ancona, Italy
Pediatr Neurol 41:131-4. 2009..that identified a A3243G mitochondrial DNA point mutation associated with mitochondrial, encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis, and strokelike episodes...
- Persistent lactic acidosis in neonatal hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy correlates with EEG grade and electrographic seizure burdenD M Murray
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Clinical Investigations Unit, Cork University Hospital, Ireland
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 93:F183-6. 2008..Predicting at birth which infants with perinatal hypoxic-ischaemic injury will progress to significant encephalopathy remains a challenge...
- Erlotinib-induced hepatitis complicated by fatal lactic acidosis in an elderly man with lung cancerMarco Pellegrinotti
Division of Internal Medicine, Leopoldo Parodi Delfino Hospital, ASL Roma G, Colleferro, Rome, Italy
Ann Pharmacother 43:542-5. 2009To report a case of erlotinib-induced hepatitis complicated by fatal lactic acidosis in an elderly patient with lung adenocarcinoma and diabetes mellitus.
- Metformin lactic acidosis, acute renal failure and rofecoxibG Price
Department of Anaesthesia, Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland, UK
Br J Anaesth 91:909-10. 2003A patient with acute renal failure associated with lactic acidosis as a result of concurrent treatment with metformin is described. Rofecoxib may have been a precipitating factor...
- An autopsy case of mitochondrial encephalomyopathy with lactic acidosis and stroke-like episodes syndrome with chronic renal failureC Yanagihara
Department of Neurology, Nishi-Kobe Medical Center
Intern Med 40:662-5. 2001..The patient was diagnosed with mitochondrial encephalomyopathy with lactic acidosis and stroke-like episodes (MELAS), and died of a recurrence of stroke-like episodes at the age of 30...
- Risk of fatal and nonfatal lactic acidosis with metformin use in type 2 diabetes mellitusShelley R Salpeter
Medicine, Stanford University, and Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, 2400 Moorpark Ave, Suite 118, San Jose, CA, USA, 95128
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD002967. 2010..Metformin, however, is thought to increase the risk of lactic acidosis, and has been considered to be contraindicated in many chronic hypoxemic conditions that may be associated ..
- Lack of correlation between length variation in the DNA polymerase gamma gene CAG repeat and lactic acidosis or neuropathy during antiretroviral treatmentXianghong Chen
Department of Human Retrovirology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 18:531-4. 2002..Recognized drug-related side effects are, for example, nausea, fatigue, lactic acidosis, neuropathy, lipodystrophy, and myopathy...
- Dysfunctional labor and myometrial lactic acidosisSiobhan Quenby
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 103:718-23. 2004..Following in vitro studies that showed acidification could depress uterine contraction, we hypothesized that it could contribute to dysfunctional labors...
- Is there a role for sodium bicarbonate in treating lactic acidosis from shock?John H Boyd
University of British Columbia, Critical Care Research Laboratories, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Curr Opin Crit Care 14:379-83. 2008Bicarbonate therapy for severe lactic acidosis remains a controversial therapy.
- Metformin and lactic acidosis in an Australian community setting: the Fremantle Diabetes StudyNiklaus Kamber
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Fremantle, WA
Med J Aust 188:446-9. 2008To determine the incidence of lactic acidosis in community-based patients with type 2 diabetes, with special reference to metformin therapy.
- Fatal lactic acidosis and mimicking Guillain-Barré syndrome in an adolescent with human immunodeficiency virus infectionRafaella Rosso
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Genoa, School of Medicine, San Martino Hospital, Italy
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:668-70. 2003We report a case of antiretroviral therapy-related fatal lactic acidosis occurring in a vertically infected HIV-positive 17-year-old patient...
- Fatal lactic acidosis associated with the use of combination oral medications to treat reactivation of hepatitis BStanley Martin Cohen
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:1008-10. 2009..These agents do carry a Food and Drug Administration "black box" warning about the development of fatal lactic acidosis on the basis of data from the human immunodeficiency virus literature...
- Lactic acidosis following short-term propofol infusion may be an early warning of propofol infusion syndromeRoland Haase
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 17:122-3. 2005
- Continuous venovenous haemodiafiltration for metformin-induced lactic acidosisL T T Pan
Department of Anaesthesia, National University Hospital, Singapore
Anaesth Intensive Care 37:830-2. 2009..failure and renal impairment was admitted to the cardiothoracic intensive care unit with metformin-induced lactic acidosis and shock...
- Risk factors for lactic acidosis in HIV-infected patients treated with nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors: a case-control studyF Bonnet
Fédération de médecine interne, Maladies Infectieuses et Pathologies Tropicales, Hôpital Saint André, Bordeaux, France
Clin Infect Dis 36:1324-8. 2003A case-control study was undertaken to determine risk factors for lactic acidosis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients treated with nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs)...
- Point of care testing for antiretroviral therapy-related lactic acidosis in resource-poor settingsLouise C Ivers
Partners In Health, Boston, USA
AIDS 20:779-80. 2006b>Lactic acidosis is a rare but potentially life-threatening complication of antiretroviral therapy (ART) and is commonly considered in the differential diagnosis of patients on ART...
- Cerebral lactic acidosis correlates with neurological impairment in MELASP Kaufmann
Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neurology 62:1297-302. 2004To evaluate the role of chronic cerebral lactic acidosis in mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like episodes (MELAS).
- Fatal lactic acidosis and acute renal failure after addition of tenofovir to an antiretroviral regimen containing didanosineMelissa D Murphy
Infectious Disease Section, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
Clin Infect Dis 36:1082-5. 2003..virus infection and stable chronic renal insufficiency who developed acute oliguric renal failure and severe lactic acidosis and who died several weeks after tenofovir was added to an antiretroviral regimen that included didanosine...
- D-lactic acidosisCraig Petersen
University of California, Davis, Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 20:634-45. 2005D-lactic acidosis, also referred to as D-lactate encephalopathy, is a rare neurologic syndrome that occurs in individuals with short bowel syndrome or following jejuno-ileal bypass surgery...
- Prenatal diagnosis of myopathy, encephalopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like syndrome: contribution to understanding mitochondrial DNA segregation during human embryofetal developmentC Bouchet
Department of Genetics, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
J Med Genet 43:788-92. 2006Myopathy, encephalopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like (MELAS) syndrome, a maternally inherited disorder that is among the most common mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) diseases, is usually associated with the m...
- Evaluation of end-tidal carbon dioxide role in predicting elevated SOFA scores and lactic acidosisDaniel C McGillicuddy
Department of Emergency Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, One Deaconess Road, WCC 2, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Intern Emerg Med 4:41-4. 2009..Larger confirmatory studies are required before final assessment...
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, cataract, developmental delay, lactic acidosis: a novel subtype of 3-methylglutaconic aciduriaGabriella Di Rosa
Division of Metabolism, Bambino Gesu Children s Research Hospital, Piazza S Onofrio 4, I 00165, Rome, Italy
J Inherit Metab Dis 29:546-50. 2006..by 3-methylglutaconic aciduria, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, cataract, hypotonia/developmental delay, lactic acidosis, and normal 3-methylglutaconyl-CoA hydratase activity...
- Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in a hepatitis C virus-infected patient presenting with lactic acidosis and hypoglycemiaBrian C Keller
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Am J Med Sci 339:202-4. 2010Non-Hodgkin lymphoma can produce a number of metabolic derangements including, in rare instances, lactic acidosis. This case illustrates an example of significant lactic acidosis and hypoglycemia secondary to diffuse large B-cell ..
- Lactic acidosis in an HIV-infected patient receiving highly active antiretroviral therapyVishal Patel
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Nat Clin Pract Nephrol 2:109-14; quiz 115. 2006..Physical examination revealed increased respiration and cachexia. Laboratory tests showed a lactic acid concentration elevated to 6.4 mM...
- Severe lactic acidosis during treatment of chronic hepatitis B with entecavir in patients with impaired liver functionChristian M Lange
Klinikum der J W Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main, Medizinische Klinik 1, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Hepatology 50:2001-6. 2009..Five of these patients developed lactic acidosis during entecavir treatment...
- Blood glucose threshold and the metabolic responses to incremental exercise tests with and without prior lactic acidosis inductionHerbert Gustavo Simões
Catholic University of Brasilia, Aguas Clams DF, QS 07 Lote 1, Bloco G, sala 119, 72022 900, Brazil
Eur J Appl Physiol 89:603-11. 2003....
- Oxygen consumption is depressed in patients with lactic acidosis due to biguanide intoxicationAlessandro Protti
Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena di Milano, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via F, Sforza 35, 20122 Milan, Italy
Crit Care 14:R22. 2010b>Lactic acidosis can develop during biguanide (metformin and phenformin) intoxication, possibly as a consequence of mitochondrial dysfunction...
- A high incidence of nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI)-induced lactic acidosis in HIV-infected patients in a South African contextRosemary Geddes
School of Family and Public Health Medicine, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban
S Afr Med J 96:722-4. 2006To determine the incidence of and predisposing risk factors for lactic acidosis in HIV-infected patients on antiretroviral drugs in South Africa.
- Myopathy with lactic acidosis is linked to chromosome 12q23.3-24.11 and caused by an intron mutation in the ISCU gene resulting in a splicing defectAngelica Olsson
Medical and Clinical Genetics Unit, Department of Medical Biosciences, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Hum Mol Genet 17:1666-72. 2008We describe the mapping and identification of the gene for hereditary myopathy with lactic acidosis (HML)...
- A case of hypoglycemia, lactic acidosis, and hematologic malignancyJosefina Diaz
Division of Endocrinology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Endocr Pract 16:241-3. 2010To report a case of chronic and persistent hypoglycemia and lactic acidosis in a 74-year-old military veteran.
- [Fulminant non-Hodgkin lymphoma presenting as lactic acidosis and acute liver failure: case report and literature review]Guillermo Flores Padilla
Departamento de Medicina Interna, Hospital de Especialidades del Centro Médico Nacional Siglo XXI Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico DF, Mexico
Acta Gastroenterol Latinoam 39:129-34. 2009..Hematological malignancies, as leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and Hodgkin lymphoma, typically do not result in hepatic dysfunction and rarely manifest as fulminant liver failure...
- Safety and efficacy of switching to alternative nucleoside analogues following symptomatic hyperlactatemia and lactic acidosisJ Tyler Lonergan
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego Medical Center, 92103 8681, USA
AIDS 17:2495-9. 2003To evaluate the safety and efficacy of rechallenging patients who have recovered from nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI)-induced symptomatic hyperlactatemia or lactic acidosis with alternative NRTI-containing regimens.
- Severe nucleoside-associated lactic acidosis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients: report of 12 cases and review of the literatureVicente Falco
Infectious Diseases Division, Hospital Vall d Hebron, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 34:838-46. 2002b>Lactic acidosis is a rare but often fatal complication reported in some human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients treated with nucleoside-analogue reverse-transcriptase inhibitors...
- Acute respiratory failure, lactic acidosis, and shock associated with a compressive isolated right pleural effusion following ovarian hyperstimulation syndromeFrank Thomas
Am J Med 114:165-6. 2003
- Lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis associated with metformin use in treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitusVera A DePalo
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Brown Medical School Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island, USA
Geriatrics 60:36, 39-41. 2005..A rare, but important complication associated with this drug is the development of lactic acidosis: Overall mortality of lactic acidosis is approximately 50%...
- Clinical features and risk factors of lactic acidosis following long-term antiretroviral therapy: 4 fatal casesH J ter Hofstede
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int J STD AIDS 11:611-6. 2000Our objective was to describe clinical features and predisposing factors attributed to lactic acidosis in 4 HIV-infected patients on long-term nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI) therapy...
- Lactic acidosis after cardiac surgery is associated with adverse outcomeFevzi Toraman
Departments of Anesthesiology, Acibadem Kadikoy Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Heart Surg Forum 7:E155-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of increased serum lactate on outcome after on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting...
- Acute onset lactic acidosis and pancreatitis in the third trimester of pregnancy in HIV-1 positive women taking antiretroviral medicationL Sarner
The Greenway Centre, Newham General Hospital, London E13 8SL, UK
Sex Transm Infect 78:58-9. 2002..the case histories of two HIV-1 positive women in the third trimester of pregnancy who presented with acute lactic acidosis and acute pancreatitis, respectively. One case was fatal for mother and baby...
- Biguanide related lactic acidosis: incidence and risk factorsC Aguilar
Diabetes and Lipid Metabolism Department, Instituto Nacional de la Nutrición Dr Salvador Zubirán, Mexico, D F
Arch Med Res 23:19-24. 1992..of this study was to evaluate in an open population the incidence and risk factors of biguanide related lactic acidosis. All patients currently treated in the Department of Diabetes and Lipid Metabolism of the Instituto Nacional ..
- Miller Fisher variant of Guillain-Barré syndrome associated with lactic acidosis and stavudine therapySanjiv S Shah
Department of Medicine, Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center, Bronx, New York 10457, USA
Clin Infect Dis 36:e131-3. 2003We describe the first case of Miller Fisher syndrome (opthalmoplegia, ataxia, and areflexia) associated with lactic acidosis as an adverse effect of receipt of an antiretroviral regimen containing stavudine...
- Metformin-associated lactic acidosis in an intensive care unitNicolas Peters
Service de Nephrologie, CHU Brabois Vandoeuvre les Nancy, 54500, France
Crit Care 12:R149. 2008Metformin-associated lactic acidosis (MALA) is a classic side effect of metformin and is known to be a severe disease with a high mortality rate...
- [Lactic acidosis and multi-organ failure secondary to anti-retroviral therapy in HIV-infected patients]B Megarbane
Service de Réanimation médicale et des Urgences médicales, Hopital Antoine Beclere, Clamart
Presse Med 28:2257-64. 1999A SERIOUS COMPLICATION: Antiretroviral therapy may induce severe lactic acidosis with multiorgan failure in HIV-infected patients.
- Fanconi syndrome and lactic acidosis associated with stavudine and lamivudine therapyMark Nelson
Imperial College, Department of HIV Medicine, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
AIDS 22:1374-6. 2008..The presence of simultaneous lactic acidosis suggests mitochondrial toxicity within the proximal renal tubular cells as the likely pathogenesis...
- Type B lactic acidosis as a severe metabolic complication in lymphoma and leukemia: a case series from a single institution and literature reviewAllison S Friedenberg
Division of Hematology Oncology, Brown Medical School Rhode Island and Miriam Hospitals, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
Medicine (Baltimore) 86:225-32. 2007Type B lactic acidosis is a rare complication of hematologic malignancies. The exact mechanism of this process is not well understood...
- Complex I: Role of L Subunit in Proton TranslocationSteven B Vik; Fiscal Year: 2011..as Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON), Leigh disease, and mitochondrial encephalomyopathy and lactic acidosis with stroke-like episodes (MELAS)...
- Structural biology of enzymes in fatty acid metabolismLiang Tong; Fiscal Year: 2012..PC deficiency is linked to lactic acidosis and mental retardation in humans...
- Characterization of an essential mitochondrial rRNA methyltransferaseKip E Guja; Fiscal Year: 2013..gene expression can cause a myriad of mitochondrial disorders, including mitochondrial encephalopathy, lactic acidosis and stroke-like episodes (MELAS) syndrome, Kearns-Sayre syndrome, and Leber hereditary optic neuropathy...
- Kinetics of DNA polymerase gamma upon mutation and nucleoside analog exposureCHRISTAL DYANE SOHL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Symptoms similar to those seen in progressive external ophthalmoplegia can result, as well as lactic acidosis and lipodystrophy, and toxicity can be severe enough to require the halt of this type of treatment...
- Enzymology of RNA ProcessingCarol A Fierke; Fiscal Year: 2013..well as mitochondria dysfunction which manifests clinically as MELAS (mitochondrial myopathy, encephalopathy, lactic acidosis and stroke-like symptoms), progressive external opthalmoplegia and/or diabetes...
- Mechanisms of transcription initiation in mitochondriaDmitry Temiakov; Fiscal Year: 2013..Defects in mtDNA expression result in a number of myopathies such as MELAS (mitochondrial encephalomyopath, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like syndrome), MERRF (myoclonic epilepsy with ragged red fibers syndrome), hearing and vision ..
- 2012 Iron Sulfur Enzymes Gordon Research ConferenceMarkus W Ribbe; Fiscal Year: 2012..iron sulfur clusters and proteins causes a range of rare and serious diseases, ranging from infantile lactic acidosis and seizures to Friedreich ataxia, a disease in which patients survive until early adulthood, and ISCU ..
- Developmental Pharmacology of cytosolic and mitochondrial GSTZ1-1/MAAIPETER WALLACE STACPOOLE; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is important because while DCA has therapeutic benefits in treating certain solid tumors, lactic acidosis and pulmonary arterial hypertension, it exhibits marked individual variability in pharmacokinetics, and can ..
- Thiamine as a Metabolic Resuscitator in Septic ShockMichael William Donnino; Fiscal Year: 2012..Septic shock may be characterized by hypotension, high metabolic state, lactic acidosis and potentially death...
- Safety and Effectiveness Evaluations for DiabetesDONALD READ MILLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..will evaluate risks of various other adverse events associated with diabetes medications, including risk of lactic acidosis associated with metformin use, particularly in patients with early kidney disease or heart failure, risk of ..
- Modulation of Monocarboxylic Acid Transporter Kinetic Function for Stroke TherapyJEFFREY PAUL SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010..during pathological conditions such as ischemic stroke, hyperglycemic stroke, and brain injury, where brain lactic acidosis has been shown to be a key indicator in the etiology of cell damage...
- Pyruvate Dehydrogenase E1: Structure-Function StudiesWilliam F Furey; Fiscal Year: 2012..for example, beri-beri, maple syrup urine disease, Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Deficiency (PDHA) associated lactic acidosis, microcephaly, motor neuropathy, Leigh syndrome, and neurological diseases including Alzheimer's and ..
- Effect of Thiamine on Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Activity in Septic ShockMichael William Donnino; Fiscal Year: 2013..Septic shock is characterized by hypotension, high metabolic state, lactic acidosis and potentially death...
- Risk Factors for the Development of Lactic Acidosis and Pancreatitis Among HAART-William Wester; Fiscal Year: 2011..polymerase-gamma has been associated with several long-term mitochondrial toxicities;these include lactic acidosis, pancreatitis, peripheral neuropathy, and peripheral fat wasting/atrophy...
- North American Mitochondrial Disease Consortium (NAMDC)JOHN L THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..NMR) spectroscopy to assess metabolites in muscle and brain of patients with mitochondrial encephalomyopathy lactic acidosis and stroke-like episodes (MELAS)...
- Transfusion in MalariaWalter H Dzik; Fiscal Year: 2013..Secondly, lactic acidosis accompanies severe malaria anemia and is a strong predictor of fatal outcome...
- MITOCHONDRIAL ENCEPHALOMYOPATHIES AND MENTAL RETARDATIONSalvatore DiMauro; Fiscal Year: 2013..associated with mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) point mutations, especially mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like episodes (MELAS). In Project I, Dr...
- Stable isotopic and metabolomic studies in a model of lactic acidosis toleranceDaniel E Warren; Fiscal Year: 2012..anaerobic metabolism and subsequent aerobic recovery are limited by mammals'low tolerance to anoxia and lactic acidosis and the rapid metabolite turnover rates resulting from high metabolic rates, particularly in rodents...
- Gene expression programs of lactic acidosis in human cancersJen Tsan Ashley Chi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Robust aerobic glycolysis and significant perfusion defects cause an accumulation of lactic acid, termed lactic acidosis, in many solid human tumors...
- Role of a Novel Absorption Mechanism in Metformin Disposition and PharmacologyDhiren R Thakker; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is ineffective in 38% of patients, and can cause severe lactic acidosis in some...
- Liver Selective AMPK Activator to Treat Type 2 DiabetesKEN W BATCHELOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..segment of the diabetic population with renal insufficiency cannot take metformin because of the risk of lactic acidosis, a life-threatening condition caused by a decrease in metformin elimination by the kidney...
- Genetic elements of cancer cell survival in tumor microenvironment stressesMELISSA M KEENAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..include low oxygen levels (hypoxia) and an accumulation of lactic acid with concomitant lowered pH levels (lactic acidosis)...
- HYPOGLYCEMIC ACTION OF 2-CHLOROPROPIONATERobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 1980..of 2-chloropropionate and to investigate the possible use of this compound in the treatment of hyperglycemia, lactic acidosis, and hyperlipoproteinemia...
- Genotype Analysis for Diagnosis of Urea Cycle DisordersSteven Dobrowolski; Fiscal Year: 2005..to UCDs being observed in broad categories of metabolic deficiencies including fatty acid oxidation defects, lactic acidosis, and organic acidemias...
- SKELETAL MUSCLE BEHAVIOR IN HEART FAILUREJohn Wilson; Fiscal Year: 1990..muscle O2 delivery and/or muscle oxidative capacity, and 3) to determine if muscle fatigue is due to muscle lactic acidosis. Muscle arteriolar behavior during exercise will be compared in patients with heart failure and normal ..
- Planning Grant for Phase 3 Trial of Dichloroacetate in PDH DeficiencyPeter W Stacpoole; Fiscal Year: 2010..PDH deficiency is one of the most common causes of congenital lactic acidosis;it is a uniformly fatal disease of progressive neurological and neuromuscular degeneration for which no ..
- Cell adhesion molecules in cerebral malaria.Henri van der Heyde; Fiscal Year: 2005..these individuals develop impaired consciousness with posturing (cerebral malaria), respiratory distress with lactic acidosis, anemia and (rarely) acute nephritis...
- RECYCLING DEFECTS OF COVALENTLY-BOUND VITAMINSBarry Wolf; Fiscal Year: 1991..pyruvate dehydrogenase is a lipoic acid-dependent enzyme and deficiency of this enzyme is known to result in lactic acidosis, a primary defect in lipoamidase may be responsible for some unexplained disorders of lactic acid metabolism...
- EVALUATION OF DCA AS ADJUNCT THERAPY IN SEVERE MALARIAPETER STACPOOLE; Fiscal Year: 1999..therapy will decrease the mortality of African children infected with Plasmodium falciparum complicated by lactic acidosis. The rationale for this phase III clinical trial is based on the fact that lactic acidosis is the major ..
- METABOLISM AND TOXICITY OF HALOGENATED HYDROCARBONSMARION ANDERS; Fiscal Year: 2004..Second, DCA is used in the clinical management of congenital lactic acidosis and has been proposed as a therapeutic agent for a range of disease states, which supports the need for a ..
- INBORN ERRORS OF PYRUVATE METABOLISMMulchand Patel; Fiscal Year: 1999..Genetic defects of the human PDC are associated with congenital lactic acidosis, variable neurological disability, and often early death...
- Development of a Biomarker for Fatigue in HIV/AIDSJoachim Voss; Fiscal Year: 2007..in HIV/AIDS is much needed, in order to monitor patients for increasing reports of complications such as lactic acidosis, hepatic steatosis, and lipodystrophy...
- MITOCHONDRIAL DNA ANALYSIS IN CYCLIC VOMITING SYNDROMERichard Boles; Fiscal Year: 2002..Maternal inheritance of migraine and/or various neuromuscular disorders and lactic acidosis are present in ten children with CVS followed by the investigators, strongly suggesting that mtDNA mutations ..
- Realtime Monitoring of Sublingual Blood VelocityLEONARD WINCHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..that septic shock is more severe when of early onset, as reflected by more severe organ dysfunction, greater lactic acidosis, and higher vasopressor requirements, yet the outcome is better, as reflected by a shorter duration of the ..
- Genetic Correction of Maternally Inherited DiseasesMin Xin Guan; Fiscal Year: 2004..transition at position 3243 (A3243G) in the tRNALeu (UUR) gene, which causes mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis, stroke-like symptoms (MELAS) and other disorders...
- PYRUVATE CARBOXYLASE DEFICIENCYIsaiah Wexler; Fiscal Year: 1999..deficiency are heterogeneous and include mental retardation, developmental delay, neuroanatomic lesions, and lactic acidosis. The severity of this disorder varies with some children not surviving beyond the neonatal period while ..
- MODULATION OF MONOCARBOXYLIC ACID TRANSPORTERS IN BRAINLESTER DREWES; Fiscal Year: 2004..dietary manipulations are more resistant to hypoxic/ischemic cell damage than control animals; and 4) brain lactic acidosis associated with hypoxia/ischemia induces increased expression of MCTs...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF PYRUVATE CARBOXYLASE DEFICIENCYKEVIN O DRISCOLL; Fiscal Year: 2000..Primary forms of PC deficiency are characterized by metabolic crises of lactic acidosis, hypotonia, encephalopathy and are refractory to current therapies...
- MITOCHONDRIAL PROTEIN SYNTHESIS AND HERITABLE DISEASECAROL IRWIN; Fiscal Year: 1980..These inlcude the heritable diseases of lactate and pyruvate dysfunction, e.g., Leigh's disease, congenital lactic acidosis, and cerebellar ataxia; and cerebro-hepato-renal syndrome...
- TREATMENT OF PHYSIOLOGICAL DISTURBANCES IN HEAD INJURYRobert Grossman; Fiscal Year: 1993..Project : Reduction in CNS injury by Modification of ischemic Energy Metabolism This study aims to reduce lactic acidosis in an animal model of spinal cord ischemia...
- TREATMENT OF LACTIC ACIDOSIS WITH DICHLOROACETATEPETER STACPOOLE; Fiscal Year: 1990b>Lactic acidosis is a relatively common metabolic disorder having a high mortality...
- INBORN ERRORS OF THE PYRUVATE DEHYDROGENASE COMPLEXIsaiah Wexler; Fiscal Year: 1993..for pyruvate dehydrogenase complex (PDC) deficiency, an inherited disorder of energy metabolism which causes lactic acidosis and neurologic disability...
- METABOLISM OF PYRUVATE ESTERS AND THIOESTERSHenri Brunengraber; Fiscal Year: 2000..and pyruvate N-acetylcysteine ethyl ester (PNACE) can deliver therapeutic levels of pyruvate without causing lactic acidosis and sodium overload...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGIC ANALYSIS OF MITOCHONDRIAL MYOPATHIESDONALD JOHNS; Fiscal Year: 1993..set of molecular mitochondrial DNA clones from the proband patient with mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke (MELAS) syndromes; (3) the nucleotide sequence determination of the three mitochrondrially-..
- Improved Diagnosis and Treatment of Pearson's SyndromeCarol Saunders; Fiscal Year: 2001..heterogeneity, as patients present in infancy with severe, transfusion dependent macrocytic anemia, lactic acidosis, and many other possible symptoms...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF MATERNALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASEJohn Shoffner; Fiscal Year: 1993Mitochondrial cytopathy is characterized by ragged-red muscle fibers (RRF), abnormal mitochondria, and lactic acidosis. This class of diseases is frequently associated with central nervous system, cardiac, kidney, and/or liver ..
- MODIFICATION OF HYPERTHERMIA RESPONSEDennis Leeper; Fiscal Year: 2006..The long-range goal is to sensitize melanoma to thermoradiotherapy by acute acidification from lactic acidosis produced safely by hyperglycemia combined with inhibitors of respiration or lactate transport...
- NRTI-induced Mitochondrial CardiomyopathyKendall Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2006..mtDNA replication and biogenesis leading to mitochondrial depletion, which is manifested as a dose-limiting lactic acidosis and life-threatening cardiomyopathy...
- Change in Lactate Metabolism on Antiretroviral TherapySimon Paul; Fiscal Year: 2005..Hyperlactatemia may range from transient and asymptomatic, to rarely, a severe and potentially fatal lactic acidosis. However, we currently have no method to determine who is susceptible to developing these side effects or to ..
- Mitochondrial Nucleotide Carriers of NRTI MetabolitesTod Gulick; Fiscal Year: 2007..of patients with mitochondrial (mito) genetic disorders, including cardiomyopathy, myopathy, neuropathy and lactic acidosis, and these correlate with NRTI-induced loss of mito DNA in various tissues...
- Simulating Mitochondrial Toxicity of Nucleoside AnalogsDavid Samuels; Fiscal Year: 2007..This toxicity can appear in many forms, from lactic acidosis, which is often lethal, to cardiomyopathy, peripheral neuropathies and hepatotoxicity...
- Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Pediatric Head InjuryCourtney Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2006..2) Cerebral lactic acidosis after TBI promotes cytochrome c release, mediated by mitochondrial swelling due to activation of the membrane ..
- A CHEMICALLY SYNTHETIC ANTI-TOXIC VACCINE AGAINST MALARILouis Schofield; Fiscal Year: 2002..intravascular coagulation, hepatic dysfunction, acute renal failure, multi-organ inflammation, hypoglycemia, lactic acidosis and death...
- EXPERIMENTAL STROKE--NEUROPROTECTION AND MRIENG LO; Fiscal Year: 1999..Acute chances will be measured with microdialysis and intermediate-to-chronic outcomes will be monitored with MRI. We will test the effects of glutamate antagonists (MK801 and NBQX) and inhibitors of lactic acidosis (dichloroacetate).
- Exercice testing and training for HAART toxicityKATHY SIETSEMA; Fiscal Year: 2004..adverse effects on human mitochondria, as exemplified by reports of the occurrence of life-threatening lactic acidosis. Although this entity is rare, the finding of mild lactic acidemia among patients on HAART suggests that ..
- The East Texas Project EXPORT CenterChiagozie Nwasuruba; Fiscal Year: 2005..all races/ethnicities and socioeconomic groups have experienced fewer inter-current illnesses, lower rates of lactic acidosis due to shock and renal failure, and fewer other complications of their disease, disparities in the prevalence ..
- MECHANISM OF INJURY AND REPAIR IN ISCHEMIC STROKEBruce Coull; Fiscal Year: 1993..be addressed is whether dexamethasone increases glucose transport into the brain, thereby aggravating brain lactic acidosis during ischemia...
- Uridine Supplementation for HIV lipoatrophyGrace McComsey; Fiscal Year: 2007..On-study subjects will continue to be followed per study protocol for a total of 12 months. The last 6 months of the grant will be dedicated to processing of samples and analysis of all data. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Mitochondria in HIV LipoatrophyGrace McComsey; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Metabolic Consequences of Thymidine Sparing RegimensGrace A McComsey; Fiscal Year: 2010..at the top of each printed page and each continuation page. RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- PROTEASE INHIBITOR RELATED ATHEROSCLEROSIS IN HIVAndrew Carr; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTER FOR NEUROMUSCULAR DISEASESalvatore DiMauro; Fiscal Year: 2007....