Genomes and Genes
disorders of excessive somnolence
Summary: Disorders characterized by hypersomnolence during normal waking hours that may impair cognitive functioning. Subtypes include primary hypersomnia disorders (e.g., IDIOPATHIC HYPERSOMNOLENCE; NARCOLEPSY; and KLEINE-LEVIN SYNDROME) and secondary hypersomnia disorders where excessive somnolence can be attributed to a known cause (e.g., drug affect, MENTAL DISORDERS, and SLEEP APNEA SYNDROME). (From J Neurol Sci 1998 Jan 8;153(2):192-202; Thorpy, Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 2nd ed, p320)
Publications242 found, 100 shown here
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth sleepiness scaleM W Johns
Sleep Disorders Unit, Epworth Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Sleep 14:540-5. 1991..ESS scores of patients who simply snored did not differ from controls...
- A new scale for measuring insomnia: the Bergen Insomnia ScaleStale Pallesen
Faculty of Psychology, University of Bergen, Christiesgt 12, 5015 Bergen, Norway
Percept Mot Skills 107:691-706. 2008..It is one of very few insomnia scales which provide normative data for comparisons and which has been validated against subjective as well as polysomnographic data...
- Hypersomnia in inter-episode bipolar disorder: does it have prognostic significance?Katherine A Kaplan
Department of Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, United States
J Affect Disord 132:438-44. 2011..The current study sought to document the prevalence of hypersomnia in a sample of inter-episode patients with bipolar disorder and to examine the relationship between hypersomnia and future bipolar depressive symptoms...
- Insomnia and daytime sleepiness are risk factors for depressive symptoms in the elderlyIsabelle Jaussent
INSERM, U1061, Montpellier, F 34000 France
Sleep 34:1103-10. 2011..However, these associations have not been investigated in community-dwelling elderly taking into account insomnia symptoms, EDS, and sleep medication...
- Obstructive sleep apnea and risk of motor vehicle crash: systematic review and meta-analysisStephen Tregear
MANILA Consulting Group, McLean, VA, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 5:573-81. 2009..A secondary objective involved determining what factors are associated with an increased motor vehicle crash risk among individuals with OSA...
- Prevalence and risk factors of subjective sleepiness in the general adult populationStale Pallesen
Department of Psychosocial Science, University of Bergen, Norway
Sleep 30:619-24. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence and risk factors of self-reported excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) in Norway...
- Greek version of the Epworth Sleepiness ScaleVenetia Tsara
Sleep Unit, GH G PAPANIKOLAOU, Thessaloniki, Greece
Sleep Breath 8:91-5. 2004..The aim of this study was to develop a Greek version of ESS, bearing in mind that language is a barrier for application in non-English speaking populations...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover trial of modafinil in the treatment of residual excessive daytime sleepiness in the sleep apnea/hypopnea syndromeR N Kingshott
Sleep Center, Respiratory Medicine Unit, The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:918-23. 2001..03). This study suggests that modafinil may improve some aspects of alertness in patients with SAHS who remain sleepy during CPAP therapy, but further studies are required to assess the significance of the reduction in CPAP use...
- The socio-economical burden of hypersomniaP Jennum
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Danish Centre for Sleep Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup Hospital, Denmark
Acta Neurol Scand 121:265-70. 2010..In the absence of socio-economical consequences of hypersomnia this study addresses the factual indirect and direct costs...
- Shift work and the assessment and management of shift work disorder (SWD)Kenneth P Wright
Sleep and Chronobiology Laboratory, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1725 Pleasant Street, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Sleep Med Rev 17:41-54. 2013....
- Brief report: behaviorally induced insufficient sleep syndrome in older adolescents: prevalence and correlatesStale Pallesen
Department of Psychosocial Science, Faculty of Psychology, University of Bergen, Christiesgt 12, 5015 Bergen, Norway
J Adolesc 34:391-5. 2011..BIISS was associated with poor grades and symptoms of anxiety and depression...
- The reliability and validity of the Korean version of the Epworth sleepiness scaleYong Won Cho
Department of Neurology, Dongsan Medical Center, Keimyung University School of Medicine, Choon Gu, Daegu, South Korea
Sleep Breath 15:377-84. 2011..The purposes of this study were to test the hypothesis that the Korean version of the ESS (KESS) is valid and evaluate its usefulness...
- Determinants of excessive daytime sleepiness in a French community-dwelling elderly populationNorifumi Tsuno
INSERM Unité 888, Hôpital La Colombière, 39 Avenue Charles Flahault, Montpellier Cedex 5, France
J Sleep Res 16:364-71. 2007..A multivariate analysis revealed that the lifetime prevalence of manic and hypomanic episodes, snoring and gender (male) were independently associated with EDS. No independent association with other psychiatric disorders was found...
- Operational definitions and algorithms for excessive sleepiness in the general population: implications for DSM-5 nosologyMaurice M Ohayon
Stanford Sleep Epidemiology Research Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94303, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 69:71-9. 2012..Excessive sleepiness (ES) is poorly defined in epidemiologic studies, although its adverse implications for safety, health, and optimal social and vocational functioning have been extensively reported...
- Simplifying STOP-BANG: use of a simple questionnaire to screen for OSA in an Asian populationThun How Ong
Sleep Disorders Unit, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore, 169608, Singapore
Sleep Breath 14:371-6. 2010..We aim to assess the utility of a simple-to-use 8-point questionnaire in screening for moderate-severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and to assess the validity of cutoffs used to score body mass index (BMI) in this questionnaire...
- Adolescent sleep patterns, circadian timing, and sleepiness at a transition to early school daysM A Carskadon
Sleep Research Laboratory, E P Bradley Hospital, E Providence, RI 02915, USA
Sleep 21:871-81. 1998..This study examined effects on adolescent sleep patterns, sleepiness, and circadian phase of a school transition requiring an earlier start...
- Daytime sleepiness and sleep habits of Australian workersM Johns
Sleep Disorders Unit, Epworth Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Sleep 20:844-9. 1997....
- Hypersomnia across mood disorders: a review and synthesisKatherine A Kaplan
Department of Psychology, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 1650, USA
Sleep Med Rev 13:275-85. 2009..Though non-pharmacological treatments targeting hypersomnia have not yet been developed, we offer initial guidelines for such treatments and conclude with an agenda for future research...
- A case-control study on excessive daytime sleepiness in episodic migraineP Barbanti
Department of Neurological, Motor and Sensorial Sciences, IRCCS San Raffaele, via della Pisana 235, 00163 Rome, Italy
Cephalalgia 27:1115-9. 2007..EDS correlated with migraine disability, sleep problems and anxiety. EDS in patients with migraine probably stems from the full constellation of headache-sleep-affective symptoms resulting from the complex clinical burden of the disease...
- Daytime sleepiness and hyperactivity in children with suspected sleep-disordered breathingMa Cecilia S Melendres
Eudowood Division of Pediatric Respiratory Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Pediatrics 114:768-75. 2004..Furthermore, we hypothesized that overnight polysomnographic parameters correlated with sleepiness and hyperactivity...
- Pain coping strategies for tension-type headache: possible implications for insomnia?Jason C Ong
Sleep Disorders Service and Research Center, Department of Behavioral Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, 1653 West Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60612 3833, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 5:52-6. 2009..The present study examined pain-related self-management strategies in a nonclinical, young-adult sample for preliminary evidence to support a novel hypothesis for the development of insomnia in this population...
- Localization of the brainstem GABAergic neurons controlling paradoxical (REM) sleepEmilie Sapin
CNRS, UMR5167, Physiopathologie des réseaux neuronaux du cycle veille sommeil, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 4:e4272. 2009..From these results, we propose a revised model for PS control in which GABAergic PS-on and PS-off neurons localized in the vlPAG/dDPMe region play leading roles...
- Excessive daytime sleepiness among the Japanese general populationYoshitaka Kaneita
Department of Public Health, School of Medicine, Nihon University, Tokyo, Japan
J Epidemiol 15:1-8. 2005..However, there are few epidemiologic studies on excessive daytime sleepiness in a large scale sample targeting Japanese general population...
- The Epworth Sleepiness Scale: influence of age, ethnicity, and socioeconomic deprivation. Epworth Sleepiness scores of adults in New ZealandPhilippa H Gander
Sleep Wake Research Centre, Research School of Public Health, Massey University, Wellington, New Zealand
Sleep 28:249-53. 2005..To examine possible relationships between excessive sleepiness (Epworth Sleepiness Scale score >10), and age, sex, ethnicity, socioeconomic deprivation, usual sleep, and self-reported symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea...
- Excessive daytime sleepiness and risk of occupational injuries in non-shift daytime workersSamuel Melamed
Occupational Health Psychology Department, National Institute of Occupational and Environmental Health, Raanana, Israel
Sleep 25:315-22. 2002..This study tested this association in daytime workers using injury data taken from organizational archives...
- Sleep and reported daytime sleepiness in normal subjects: the Sleep Heart Health StudyJoyce A Walsleben
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care, New York University School of Medicine, USA
Sleep 27:293-8. 2004..To describe the distribution of nocturnal sleep characteristics and reports of daytime sleepiness in a large well-defined group of healthy adults...
- Excessive daytime sleepiness: a challenge for the practising neurologistC Guilleminault
Stanford Sleep Disorders Clinic, Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford University and Medical Centre, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Brain 124:1482-91. 2001..As our understanding of the neurological underpinnings of alertness and sleepiness deepens, improved treatment methods are bound to emerge...
- Health-related quality of life in Italian patients with narcolepsy: the SF-36 health surveyLuca Vignatelli
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche, Universita degli Studi di Bologna, Via Ugo Foscolo 7, 40123 Bologna, Italy
Sleep Med 5:467-75. 2004..To compare the HRQoL of patients with narcolepsy with the Italian norm. To disclose the clinical predictors influencing the HRQoL...
- Modafinil improves antipsychotic-induced parkinsonism but not excessive daytime sleepiness, psychiatric symptoms or cognition in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyJames B Lohr
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego UCSD, La Jolla, CA, USA Psychiatry Service, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, San Diego, CA, USA Electronic address
Schizophr Res 150:289-96. 2013....
- From wakefulness to excessive sleepiness: what we know and still need to knowMAURICE MOYSES OHAYON
Stanford Sleep Epidemiology, School of Medicine, Stanford University, 3430 W Bayshore Road, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Sleep Med Rev 12:129-41. 2008..Inconsistencies in its definition and measurement limit the generalization of the results. The use of a single question fails to capture the complexity of the symptom. The natural evolution of hypersomnia remains to be documented...
- Atypical antipsychotics: sedation versus efficacyJohn M Kane
Department of Psychiatry, The Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks, NY 11004, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:18-31. 2008....
- Odds, prevalence and predictors of sleep problems in school-age normal childrenKaren Spruyt
Department of Cognitive and Physiological Psychology, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
J Sleep Res 14:163-76. 2005..These results suggest that disorders of excessive somnolence (DES) are highly prevalent in a non-clinical sample of school-age children...
- Idiopathic hypersomnia with and without long sleep time: a controlled series of 75 patientsCyrille Vernet
Unité des pathologies du sommeil, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Sleep 32:753-9. 2009..To characterize the clinical, psychological, and sleep pattern of idiopathic hypersomnia with and without long sleep time, and provide normative values for 24-hour polysomnography...
- Increased daytime somnolence despite normal sleep patterns in patients treated for nonfunctioning pituitary macroadenomaAgatha A van der Klaauw
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3898-903. 2007..Because this may be related to altered sleep patterns, we evaluated daytime sleepiness and sleep patterns in patients successfully treated for NFMA in our center...
- Underlying sleep pathology may cause chronic high fatigue in shift-workersJ L Hossain
Sleep Research Laboratory, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Sleep Res 12:223-30. 2003..It is concluded that chronic high fatigue can be an independent manifestation of underlying sleep pathology, which warrants independent subjective and objective assessment...
- Excessive daytime sleepiness in psychiatric disorders: Prevalence, correlates and clinical significanceChris J Hawley
Department of Psychiatry, QEII Hospital, Hertfordshire Partnership NHS Trust, Howlands, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, AL7 4HQ, UK
Psychiatry Res 175:138-41. 2010..The data suggest that excessive daytime sleepiness is a significant issue in general adult psychiatry, but this must be interpreted against a relatively high prevalence in the normal population...
- Excessive daytime sleepiness in multiple system atrophy (SLEEMSA study)Claudia Moreno-López
Movement Disorders Unit, Department of Neurology, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, University of Barcelona Medical School and Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red sobre Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Arch Neurol 68:223-30. 2011..Sleep disorders are common in multiple system atrophy (MSA), but the prevalence of excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) is not well known...
- [Narcolepsy and other hypersomnias]Trond Sand
Institutt for nevromedisin, Norges teknisk naturvitenskapelige universitet og Avdeling for nevrologi og klinisk nevrofysiologi, St Olavs Hospital, 7006 Trondheim, Norway
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 129:2007-10. 2009..Many patients with hypersomnia are diagnosed too late. The article presents a review of this field...
- Modification of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale in Central ChinaJin Nong Zhang
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1277 Jiefang Avenue, 430022 Wuhan, People s Republic of China
Qual Life Res 20:1721-6. 2011..This study is aimed to build a modified ESS (mESS) and then to verify its feasibility in the assessment of EDS for patients with suspected sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) in central China...
- The prevalence of multiple sleep-onset REM periods in a population-based sampleMeeta Singh
Henry Ford Sleep Disorders Center, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Sleep 29:890-5. 2006..The present study determined the prevalence of 2 or more SOREMPs in a representative sample of the population from southeast Michigan and investigated potential associations with other sleep-related variables...
- A 2-week, polysomnographic, safety study of sodium oxybate in obstructive sleep apnea syndromeCharles F P George
University of Western Ontario, London Health Sciences Centre, 375 South Street, London, ON, N6A 4G5, Canada
Sleep Breath 15:13-20. 2011..Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) affects ∼9-50% of narcoleptics. Effects of 2-week SXB administration on apnea-hypopnea index (AHI), oxygen saturation (SaO(2)), and sleep architecture were investigated in OSAS patients...
- Sleepiness in patients with moderate to severe sleep-disordered breathingVishesh K Kapur
Department of Medicine, University of Washington Sleep Disorders Center, Box 359803, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Sleep 28:472-7. 2005..We investigated the prevalence of sleepiness as well as factors associated with sleepiness in individuals with moderate to severe sleep-disordered breathing (apnea-hypopnea index > or = 15)...
- Narcolepsy, metabolic syndrome and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome as the causes of hypersomnia in children. Report of three casesJ Wasilewska
III Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of Białystok, Poland
Adv Med Sci 52:207-11. 2007..7/h in October 2005 to 2.9/h in October 2006. Within that time his parents did not observe any episodes of daytime sleepiness, irritability or nocturnal enuresis...
- Prevalence of excessive daytime sleepiness and associated factors in the adult population of KoreaSoonJae Joo
Institute of Human Genomic Study, Korea University Medical Center, Ansan Hospital, Gyeonggi Do, Republic of Korea
Sleep Med 10:182-8. 2009..Information on the prevalence and correlates of excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) is limited for Asians. We determined the prevalence of EDS and its associated factors in the adult population of Korea...
- Differences in nocturnal and daytime sleep between primary and psychiatric hypersomnia: diagnostic and treatment implicationsA N Vgontzas
Sleep Research and Treatment Center and Department of Psychiatry, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey 17033, USA
Psychosom Med 62:220-6. 2000..The aim of this study was to assess whether polysomnography aids in the differential diagnosis of these two disorders...
- Differences between minimally depressed patients who do and do not consider themselves to be in remissionMark Zimmerman
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown University School of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI 02905, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:1134-8. 2005....
- Fatigue in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is significant and associates with inactivity and excessive daytime sleepiness but not with liver disease severity or insulin resistanceJ L Newton
Care of the Elderly Offices, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle NE1 4LP, UK
Gut 57:807-13. 2008..To quantify fatigue in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), to determine whether perceived fatigue reflects impairment of physical function and to explore potential causes...
- Subjective fatigue and subjective sleepiness: two independent consequences of sleep disorders?Jamil L Hossain
Sleep Research Unit and Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Sleep Res 14:245-53. 2005..Furthermore, predominantly fatigued individuals with sleep disorders seem vulnerable to additional negative consequences due to possible interplay between amplified fatigue and psychological distress...
- Relationship between hours of CPAP use and achieving normal levels of sleepiness and daily functioningTerri E Weaver
Biobehavioral and Health Sciences Division, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6096, USA
Sleep 30:711-9. 2007..This study, employing probit analyses and piecewise regression to estimate dose-response functions, estimated likelihoods of return to normal levels of sleepiness and daily functioning relative to nightly duration of CPAP...
- Variability in the Epworth sleepiness scale score between the patient and the partnerHatice Kumru
Department of Neurology, Hospital Clínic of Barcelona and the Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Sleep Med 5:369-71. 2004..We investigated the agreement between patient and partner perceptions of the patient's sleepiness...
- Practice parameters for the treatment of narcolepsy and other hypersomnias of central originTimothy I Morgenthaler
Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN, USA
Sleep 30:1705-11. 2007....
- Armodafinil for treatment of excessive sleepiness associated with shift work disorder: a randomized controlled studyCharles A Czeisler
Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 84:958-72. 2009....
- Evaluation of positive airway pressure treatment for sleep related breathing disorders in adultsPeter Gay
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Sleep 29:381-401. 2006..Finally, the use of bilevel PAP therapy is reviewed for both patients with OSA and those with other selected nocturnal breathing disorders. Each section also contains a brief summary and suggestions for future research...
- Excessive daytime sleepiness in Parkinson's disease as assessed by Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS)Suresh Kumar
Department of Neurology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Sleep Med 4:339-42. 2003..To assess daytime sleepiness in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD) using the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS)...
- Practice parameters for clinical use of the multiple sleep latency test and the maintenance of wakefulness testMichael R Littner
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, CA, USA
Sleep 28:113-21. 2005..These practice parameters also include recommendations for the MSLT and MWT protocols, a discussion of the normative data available for both tests, and a description of issues that need further study...
- A very large number of GABAergic neurons are activated in the tuberal hypothalamus during paradoxical (REM) sleep hypersomniaEmilie Sapin
CNRS, UMR5167, Physiopathologie des réseaux neuronaux du cycle veille sommeil, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 5:e11766. 2010..Further investigations will be needed to corroborate this original hypothesis...
- Excessive daytime sleepiness in migraine patientsM F P Peres
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:1467-8. 2005
- Reliability and validity studies of the Turkish version of the Epworth Sleepiness ScaleBilgay Izci
Department of Sleep Medicine, University of Edinburgh, 51 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4SA, Scotland, UK
Sleep Breath 12:161-8. 2008..The ESStr is a reliable and valid measure of daytime sleepiness. These features and the simplicity of the ESStr make it a valuable measure for clinical management and research...
- Correlates of daytime sleepiness in 4578 elderly persons: the Cardiovascular Health StudyC W Whitney
Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Sleep 21:27-36. 1998..Surprisingly, anatomic abnormalities such as evidence of previous strokes and brain atrophy (as seen on brain MRI scans) were not associated with daytime sleepiness in these non-institutionalized elderly persons...
- [Excessive daytime sleepiness]Lia Rita Azeredo Bittencourt
Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 27:16-21. 2005....
- Modafinil for excessive sleepiness associated with shift-work sleep disorderCharles A Czeisler
Division of Sleep Medicine, Harvard Medical School, and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 353:476-86. 2005..Patients with shift-work sleep disorder chronically have excessive sleepiness during night work and insomnia when attempting to sleep during the day. We evaluated the use of modafinil for treating sleepiness in patients with this disorder...
- Risks of high-dose stimulants in the treatment of disorders of excessive somnolence: a case-control studyR Robert Auger
Sleep Disorders Center, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Sleep 28:667-72. 2005..To ascertain complications associated with high-dose stimulant therapy in patients with narcolepsy or idiopathic hypersomnia...
- Habitual snoring, intermittent hypoxia, and impaired behavior in primary school childrenMichael S Urschitz
Department of Neonatology, University Children s Hospital, Tuebingen, Germany
Pediatrics 114:1041-8. 2004..We aimed to determine the extent of behavioral problems in snoring children, clarify the role of intermittent hypoxia, and test the reversibility of impaired behavior and poor academic performance...
- Characterization of the melanin-concentrating hormone neurons activated during paradoxical sleep hypersomnia in ratsLucie Hanriot
Centre National de Recherche Scientifique UMR5167, Universite de Lyon, Université Lyon1, Institut Federatif des Neurosciences de Lyon, Lyon, 69372, France
J Comp Neurol 505:147-57. 2007..Based on these results and the literature, we propose that MCH could be involved in memory processes and in the inhibition of muscle tone during PS...
- Randomized placebo-controlled trial of pantoprazole for daytime sleepiness in GERD and obstructive sleep disordered breathingMaria V Suurna
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0528, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 139:286-90. 2008..To determine the efficacy of pantoprazole therapy for daytime somnolence, psychomotor vigilance, and quality of life in patients with mild-moderate obstructive sleep disordered breathing (OSDB) and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)...
- CSF hypocretin-1 levels in narcolepsy, Kleine-Levin syndrome, and other hypersomnias and neurological conditionsY Dauvilliers
Service de Neurologie B, Hopital Gui de Chauliac, Montpellier, France
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 74:1667-73. 2003..To determine the role of CSF hypocretin-1 in narcolepsy with and without cataplexy, Kleine-Levin syndrome (KLS), idiopathic and other hypersomnias, and several neurological conditions...
- Confirmatory factor analysis of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) in patients with obstructive sleep apnoeaSimon S Smith
School of Psychology, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia
Sleep Med 9:739-44. 2008..Its psychometric properties are still unclear, particularly when used to evaluate sleep propensity in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea...
- Clinical reproducibility of the Epworth Sleepiness ScaleAnh Tu Duy Nguyen
Mount Sinai Hospital, Montreal, Canada
J Clin Sleep Med 2:170-4. 2006..The Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) is widely used as a subjective measure of sleepiness. To our knowledge, no study has evaluated its reproducibility in the clinical setting...
- Severity of gastroesophageal reflux disease influences daytime somnolence: a clinical study of 134 patients underwent upper panendoscopyPal Demeter
St John s Hospital, Outpatient Clinic of Gastroenterology, Szoloskertut 7, Budakeszi 2092, Hungary
World J Gastroenterol 10:1798-801. 2004..To asses the relationship between severity of gastroesophageal refluxe disease and Epworth sleepiness scale as an indicator of daytime somnolence...
- Why do we continue to use Epworth sleepiness scale?Naoko Tachibana
Sleep Med 8:541-2. 2007
- The Epworth sleepiness scale: relationship to sleep and mental disorders in a sleep clinicKent J DeZee
Department of Medicine, William Beaumont Army Medical Center, 5005 N Piedras Street, El Paso, TX 79920 5001, USA
Sleep Med 7:327-32. 2006..We sought to assess the relationship between the ESS scores and mental disorders in a sleep clinic...
- A study of the diagnostic utility of HLA typing, CSF hypocretin-1 measurements, and MSLT testing for the diagnosis of narcolepsy in 163 Korean patients with unexplained excessive daytime sleepinessSeung Chul Hong
Department of Neuropsychiatry, St Vincent s Hospital, Catholic University of Korea, Suwon, Korea
Sleep 29:1429-38. 2006....
- Differential diagnosis in hypersomniaYves Dauvilliers
Neurology Department, Gui de Chauliac Hospital, 80 avenue Augustin Fliche, INSERM E0361 34295, Montpellier, Cedex 5, France
Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 6:156-62. 2006....
- The association of sleep-disordered breathing and sleep symptoms with quality of life in the Sleep Heart Health StudyC M Baldwin
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson 85724 5030, USA
Sleep 24:96-105. 2001..S. general population...
- Clinical significance and correlates of behaviorally induced insufficient sleep syndromeYoko Komada
Japan Somnology Center, Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
Sleep Med 9:851-6. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate the demographic variables and clinical characteristics of behaviorally induced insufficient sleep syndrome (BIISS) and to compare it with the other major hypersomnia disorders...
- Distinguishing sleepiness and fatigue: focus on definition and measurementJianhua Shen
Sleep Research Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network and University of Toronto, 399 Bathurst Street, 7M 417, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5T 2S8
Sleep Med Rev 10:63-76. 2006..Despite a high prevalence and high degree of morbidity, fatigue has remained a relatively under appreciated symptom, from both a clinical and research point of view...
- What are the important risk factors for daytime sleepiness and fatigue in women?Jenny Theorell-Haglöw
Department of Medical Sciences, Respiratory Medicine and Allergology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Sleep 29:751-7. 2006..To analyze the relation between different risk factors and excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) and fatigue in women from a general-population sample...
- Subjective daytime sleepiness: dimensions and correlates in the general populationHyon Kim
Department of Population, Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1300 University Ave MSC Rm 1022, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Sleep 28:625-34. 2005....
- Sleep health New South Wales: chronic sleep restriction and daytime sleepinessD J Bartlett
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research and the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia Centre for Respiratory and Sleep Medicine, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Intern Med J 38:24-31. 2008..The aim of this study was to provide the first population-based descriptions of typical sleep duration and the prevalence of chronic sleep restriction and chronic sleepiness in community-dwelling Australian adults...
- Modafinil for treatment of residual excessive sleepiness in nasal continuous positive airway pressure-treated obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndromeJed E Black
Stanford Sleep Disorder Clinic, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Sleep 28:464-71. 2005..We evaluated the efficacy and safety of the wake-promoting agent modafinil for treating residual excessive sleepiness in nCPAP-treated patients...
- HypersomniaYves Dauvilliers
Service de Neurologie B, , INSERM E0361, Montpellier, France
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 7:347-56. 2005....
- Insomnia and hypersomnia associated with depressive phenomenology and comorbidity in childhood depressionXianchen Liu
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and WPIC, PA 15213, USA
Sleep 30:83-90. 2007....
- Effects of armodafinil in the treatment of residual excessive sleepiness associated with obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome: a 12-week, multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study in nCPAP-adherent adultsThomas Roth
Henry Ford Sleep Disorders Center, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Clin Ther 28:689-706. 2006..Some patients with obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome (OSA/HS) experience excessive sleepiness (ES) that might not resolve with nasal continuous positive airway pressure (nCPAP) treatment...
- Difference in the characteristics of subjective and objective sleepiness between narcolepsy and essential hypersomniaYoko Komada
National Institute of Mental Health, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, 1 7 3 Kohnodai, Ichikawa, Chiba 272 0827, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 59:194-9. 2005..It is suggested that the mild disease severity of essential hypersomnia contributed to the formation of these characteristics...
- Sleep. 4: Sleepiness, cognitive function, and quality of life in obstructive sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndromeH M Engleman
Edinburgh Sleep Centre, Unit of Respiratory Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh EH3 9YW, Scotland, UK
Thorax 59:618-22. 2004..The evidence is compatible with hypotheses that these deficits are reversible with treatment, particularly for patients with severe disease...
- Association of sleep and academic performanceArne Eliasson
12515 Davan Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20904, USA
Sleep Breath 6:45-8. 2002..Before mandating costly changes in school schedules, it would be useful to perform further research to determine the effects of increasing sleep time on the behaviors of adolescent students...
- Excessive sleepiness in adolescents and young adults: causes, consequences, and treatment strategiesRichard P Millman
Pediatrics 115:1774-86. 2005....
- Popular media and 'excessive daytime sleepiness': a study of rhetorical authority in medical sociologySteve Kroll-Smith
Department of Sociology, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 27402, USA
Sociol Health Illn 25:625-43. 2003..A limited case for this claim is made by revisiting two key ideas in this field: naming diseases and the classic distinction between illness and disease...
- [An estimation of the prevalence of excessive daytime sleepiness based on age and sex distribution of epworth sleepiness scale scores: a population based survey]Misa Takegami
Kyoto University, Graduate School of Medicine, School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology and Healthcare Research
Nihon Koshu Eisei Zasshi 52:137-45. 2005..To describe the distribution of subjective daytime sleepiness among local residents using the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) and estimate the prevalence of excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) in a general Japanese adult population...
- Evaluation of chronic insomnia. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine reviewM J Sateia
Sleeps Disorders Center, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Sleep 23:243-308. 2000..Thorough assessment also requires attention to the unique aspects of presentation and specific set of etiologies which are associated with particular age groups...
- Conditions of primary excessive daytime sleepinessJed E Black
Stanford Sleep Disorders Center, Sleep Medicine Division, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
Neurol Clin 23:1025-44. 2005..Several methods have been developed to assess EDS, although each of them has limitations. Treatment is available for the great majority of cases...
- Menstrual-associated sleep disorder: an unusual hypersomniac variant associated with both menstruation and amenorrhea with a possible link to prolactin and metoclopramideC R Bamford
Department of Neurology, University of Arizona, Tucson
Sleep 16:484-6. 1993..The hypersomnolence, however, did not abate, but rather became more brief and erratic in its periodicity. The hypersomnolence was associated with marked elevations in the serum prolactin level...
- The clinical use of the MSLT and MWTDonna Arand
Kettering Medical Center Dayton, OH, USA
Sleep 28:123-44. 2005..Additionally the presence of two or more SOREMPs on the MSLT is a common finding in narcolepsy patients. However, SOREMPs are not exclusive to narcolepsy patients but are frequent in untreated sleep apnea..
- Modafinil improves alertness, vigilance, and executive function during simulated night shiftsJames K Walsh
Sleep Medicine and Research Center, affiliated with St John s Mercy Medical Center and St Luke s Hospital, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Sleep 27:434-9. 2004..To assess the effect of 200 mg of modafinil compared to placebo on alertness, neurobehavioral performance, and executive function during 4 consecutive simulated night shifts...
- Reverse sleep state misperceptionHrayr P Attarian
Department of Neurology, Vermont Regional Sleep Medicine Center, C N L Patrick 5, 111 Colchester Ave, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Sleep Med 5:269-72. 2004..This patient may have a previously undescribed variation of sleep state misperception that the authors have tentatively named 'reverse' sleep state misperception...
- Effect of a targeted obstructive sleep apnea consult to improve access and quality at a sleep disorders centerTimothy I Morgenthaler
Mayo Clinic Sleep Disorders Center, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 2:49-56. 2006....
- Relationship between sleep apnoea syndrome, snoring and headachesJ P Neau
Institut Universitaire Veille Sommeil, Faculte de Medecine et Pharmacie, Poitiers, Department of Neurology, CHU La Miletrie, Poitiers, France
Cephalalgia 22:333-9. 2002..Despite this absence of specificity, the treatment of SAS, especially nasal continuous positive airway pressure, leads to an improvement in headaches in several cases...
- Vulnerability to stress-related sleep disturbance and hyperarousalChristopher Drake
Sleep Disorders and Research Center, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Sleep 27:285-91. 2004..To determine the presence of a hypothesized trait vulnerability to sleep disturbance and hyperarousal...
- Outcome of sleepiness and fatigue scores in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome patients with and without restless legs syndrome after nasal CPAPRaimundo Nonato Delgado Rodrigues
Hospital Universitario de Brasilia, 70844 010 Brasília, DF, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 65:54-8. 2007..The primary concern of this study is to evaluate the outcome of fatigue and daytime sleepiness symptoms at baseline and after continuous positive air pressure (CPAP) treatment in OSAS patients with and without RLS...
- The role of sleep-disordered breathing, daytime sleepiness, and impaired performance in motor vehicle crashes-a case control studyRuth N Kingshott
Department of Respiratory Research, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Sleep Breath 8:61-72. 2004..To examine levels of sleep-disordered breathing, daytime sleepiness, and impaired performance in 60 motor vehicle crash drivers and 60 controls matched for age, gender, and body mass index...
- Daytime impairment and neurodegeneration in OSASMagdalena Nowak
Department of Psychiatry, University of Erlangen, Germany
Sleep 29:1521-30. 2006..We propose the existence of a neurodegenerative process...
- DAYTIME SLEEPINESS--PREVALENCE, CONSEQUENCES, AND RISKSThomas Roth; Fiscal Year: 2003..The important contribution of the present proposal is that it will be the first population-based study to use laboratory assessments, its consequences and risks to measure sleepiness. ..
- Spectrum of Narcolepsy in the Probands FamiliesMAURICE OHAYON; Fiscal Year: 2007..A blood sample (3-5 ml) will be asked also to all participants. This will allow us to link some genetic markers of narcolepsy to specific symptoms even in subjects without the full-fledge manifestation of the disease. ..
- Predisposition Model of InsomniaChristopher Drake; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of sleepiness on heart failure self-careBarbara Riegel; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study is expected to expand existing knowledge and clarify our understanding of the mechanisms linking EDS, failed self-care, poor HRQL, and unplanned hospitalizations in persons with heart failure. ..
- Impact of CPAP on Functional Outcomes in Milder OSATerri Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2006..Secondary aims of the study are: 1) to examine whether CPAP also improves daytime sleepiness; 2) to determine whether CPAP can reduce nocturnal blood pressure to lower the risk for stroke and hypertension linked to OSA. ..
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) in obese teens & preteens: Neurobahavioral effectsDean Beebe; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- SLEEP/DOPAMINE PHENOTYPES IN GENETICALLY DISTINCT MICEDavid Rye; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- BRAINSTEM SUBSTRATES OF DOPAMINE MODULATED MOVEMENTSDavid Rye; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., OCD, ADD, Tourette's and schizophrenia, the results will also bear relevance to a wider spectrum of disease. ..
- Circuitry of Midbrain Dopamine in Sleep & WakeDavid Rye; Fiscal Year: 2005..g., schizophrenia) and hypodopaminergic (e.g., PD and restless legs/periodic leg movements of sleep). ..
- SLEEPINESS AND THE REINFORCING EFFECT OF METHYLPHENIDATETimothy Roehrs; Fiscal Year: 2002..And finally during year five the interaction of behavioral demand placed on subjects and different levels of sleepiness-alertness will be the focus. ..
- S-Adenosyl Methionine(SAMe)Augmentation of SSRIs in MDDGeorge Papakostas; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is hoped that this project award will provide the critical fund of basic knowledge and practical experience necessary to aid the candidate in becoming an independent investigator in this area. ..
- Role of hypocretin/histamine in Narcolepsy/EDS disordersSeiji Nishino; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that results from these studies will bring new insights regarding the roles of the hypocretin/histamine interaction in narcolepsy and other EDS disorders and better treatment modalities in humans. ..
- Insomnia as a Path to Alcohol AbuseTimothy Roehrs; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Histamine in Narcolepsy/EDS DisordersSeiji Nishino; Fiscal Year: 2008..As almost nothing is known on the pathophysiology of non- hypocretin deficient hypersomnias, we believe this work to be ideally suited for a small grant application. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Abuse Liability Associated with Chronic Hypnotic UseTimothy Roehrs; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- PHARMACOLOGICAL STUDIES OF HUMAN AND CANINE NARCOLEPSYSeiji Nishino; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Phase Preference, Sleepiness, and Adolescent DevelopmentMARY CARSKADON; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, Study 3 is a pilot study to assess whether intrinsic period is shorter in adolescents with morning than evening phase preference, as has been reported in adults...
- Alcohol, Sleep and Circadian Rhythms in Young HumansMARY CARSKADON; Fiscal Year: 2005..Study 3 involves a total of 24 FH- participants. ..
- THE ROLE OF CYTOKINES IN SLEEPINESS AND SLEEP APNEAAlexandros Vgontzas; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies collectively will provide additional evidence for a role of TNFa and IL-6 in EDS and OSA and lay the foundation for the development of novel therapeutic interventions. ..
- Sleep Apnea: Upper Airway Nerve InjurySigrid Veasey; Fiscal Year: 2009..Collectively, the proposed studies will unveil important mechanisms of neuronal injury in obstructive sleep apnea and should reveal diabetes is a risk factor for this neural injury in sleep apnea. ..
- Workshop to Consider the Feasibility of a Sleep/Circadian Rhythms Gene ChipMARY CARSKADON; Fiscal Year: 2007..The workshop will also examine other methods and techniques that may help advance the genetic study of sleep and sleep disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Controlled Study of SAMe vs.Escitalopram in Major Depressive DisorderMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2008..Secondary aims are to assess the acute effects of SAMe or escitalopram vs. placebo on remission rates, quality of life, and psychosocial functioning. ..
- ADOLESCENT SLEEP: CIRCADIAN AND HOMEOSTATIC PROCESSESMARY CARSKADON; Fiscal Year: 2003..On the basis of these hypotheses, explanations for developmental changes in the bioregulatory processes affecting sleep may be elucidated, with the hope that more complex adolescent behaviors may eventually be understood. ..
- BUPROPION AS AN ADJUNCT TO THE NICOTINE PATCH PLUS CBTMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Adolescent ADHD: Sleep, Symptoms, and MedicationGahan Fallone; Fiscal Year: 2003..Further, under conditions of restricted sleep, we predict that adolescents with ADHD will show increased sleepiness, increased ADHD symptom severity, and increased perceived need for psychostimulant medication. ..
- ROLE OF MELATONIN IN SECONDARY INSOMNIA IN THE ELDERLYNalaka Gooneratne; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- DIFFERENTIAL VULNERABILITY TO MORBIDITIES OF SLEEP APNEASigrid Veasey; Fiscal Year: 2003..Therefore, this work provides an essential foundation for determining gene function in the susceptibility of sleepiness, impaired cognation and behavioral responses caused by obstructive sleep apnea. (End of Abstract.) ..
- RATIONAL PHARMACOTHERAPY OF PRIMARY INSOMNIADaniel Buysse; Fiscal Year: 2004..The Principal Investigator will mentor trainees in analyses of existing data, design and implementation of the clinical trial, described above, and new studies designed by the trainees themselves. ..
- Melatonin Randomized Trial in Insomnia in the ElderlyNalaka Gooneratne; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- SLEEP AND CHRONOBIOLOGY SUMMER RESEARCH APPRENTICESHIPMARY CARSKADON; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Cannabis and SchizophreniaSanjiv Kumra; Fiscal Year: 2010..A positive finding would help inform current neurodevelopmental models of schizophrenia and point to an intervention that might prevent worsening of the illness. ..
- Treating Insomnia & Nightmares After Trauma: Impact on Symptoms & Quality of LifeSean P A Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will examine whether treatments specifically targeted at those sleep disorders can improve clinical outcomes and increase health- related quality of life in individuals recently exposed to war-related trauma. ..
- Course of psychopathology in female youth: Analysis with extant longitudinal dataJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Longtitudinal Changes in Sleep Structure: Implications for Health OutcomesNaresh Punjabi; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Mechanisms of Nicotine Dependence in ADHD AdultsScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2008..Data generated will also lead to subsequent clinical projects to develop more effective interventions for nicotine dependence in this high risk group. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Optimization of TMS for DepressionDavid Avery; Fiscal Year: 2009..This clinical site grant (CSG) proposal is one of four scientifically identical proposals resubmitted under a CSMD mechanism.] ..
- MN REGIONAL SLEEP DISORDERS CENTER SLEEP ACADEMIC AWARDGerald Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Follow up of the PATS sampleScott Kollins; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 4 is to determine the stability of the ADHD diagnosis and other comorbidities made for study entry at age 3-5 years across subsequent development [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Evaluation of the potential for translation to practice of a sleep disorders manaCHARLES CZEISLER; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Contributions of sleep/rhythms/fatigue to "chemobrain"Sonia Ancoli Israel; Fiscal Year: 2009..The reported phenomena of chemobrain will be examined to see if it is related to the complaint of fatigue or sleep disruptions, both of which are known to contribute to decreases in cognitive functioning. ..
- CIRCADIAN ADAPTATION TO NIGHT WORK IN OLDER PEOPLECHARLES CZEISLER; Fiscal Year: 2001..This work has major implications for the health and safety of older shift workers. ..
- Improving Continence & Pain Control in LTC: The M-TRAIN InterventionJANET K P SPECHT; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study will evaluate outcomes for nursing homes, elderly residents, and new ways to assist RNs and CNAs use the most current knowledge to care for elders with pain and urinary incontinence. ..
- GENETIC DISSECTION OF VENTILATORY TRAITSKingman Strohl; Fiscal Year: 2001..Results will be relevant to illnesses known to result from, or be exacerbated by, poor or excessive ventilatory responses to environmental and pathophysiologic stresses. ..
- Preventing Risks of Long SleepSHAWN YOUNGSTEDT; Fiscal Year: 2005..Benefits and risks will be assessed by examining changes in sleepiness, depression, quality-of-life, neurobehavioral performance, glucose tolerance, and actigraphic and subjective sleep. ..
- Behavioral Insomnia Therapy With FibromyalgiaJack Edinger; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., pain, fatigue). Results of this trial should provide insights into the pathophysiology and management of FM. ..
- CBT and Modafinil for Cocaine AddictionRobert Malcolm; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Subcortical Hyperintensities in Sleep Apnea SyndromeMark Aloia; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect to analyze data on approximately 1,120 participants based on our preliminary studies with this data set. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FATIGUE, SLEEP AND CIRCADIAN RHYTHMS IN BREAST CANCERSonia Ancoli Israel; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results will provide a scientific basis for future intervention studies, particularly studies with light therapy which can re-synchronize rhythms. ..
- Effects of Extended Work Hours on Intern Health & SafetyCHARLES CZEISLER; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Aging, Hypnotics, Sleep Inertia and the Risk of FallingKenneth Wright; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of the proposed research could have a significant impact on the health, safety and quality of life of older adults. ..
- Effect of Sleep Deprivation on Inflammatory MarkersKenneth Wright; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work could also have a significant impact on our understanding of the health consequences of sleep loss, which would have implications for public health and safety. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF INSOMNIA & MENTAL ILLNESS IN ADOLESCENCEEric Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- AMLODIPINE TREATMENT FOR COCAINE DEPENDENCERobert Malcolm; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- WORKING MEMORY IN OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA-AN fMRI STUDYRobert Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ACUTE EFFECTS OF LIGHT ON SLEEPRuth Benca; Fiscal Year: 2003..Furthermore, we hope to elucidate the role of the SC-PT in REM sleep regulation, which may have relevance to disorders characterized by abnormalities in REM sleep, and depression ..
- THE SLEEP HEART HEALTH STUDYNaresh Punjabi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Accomplishing these goals will provide important information concerning the public health impact of SDB. ..
- Examining Pathways among Co-occurring Mental and Substance Use DisordersEric Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Mechanisms for Central ApneasKingman Strohl; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phase I Radiosensitization Study of GW572016 in Recurrent Breast CancerELIZABETH DEES; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal pilots a novel combination therapy to treat this common and challenging clinical problem. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Longitudinal Study--Sleep-Disordered Breathing/PregnancyGrace Pien; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Novel Pharmacological Strategies in AutismChristopher McDougle; Fiscal Year: 2009..Phase II (following 6 months of aripiprazole monotherapy). ..
- ECG-derived estimators of sleep physiologyRobert Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) To correlate the biomarker with excessive daytime sleepiness, subjective sleep quality and cardiovascular morbidity (SHHS), and reduced neurocognitive function (NAPS). ..
- PEDIATRIC BIPOLAR COLLABORATIVE MOOD STABILZER TRAILRobert Findling; Fiscal Year: 2003..Lastly, this trial will provide descriptive information on the stability of acute phase response to monotherapy over a 16 week continuation phase. ..
- Neuroimaging of Children at Risk for Biopolar DisorderKiki Chang; Fiscal Year: 2006..Chang plans to become an independent investigator in the field of pediatric BD and thus contributing to the current knowledge of the neurobiology and development of BD. ..
- Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Commercial DriversIndira Gurubhagavatula; Fiscal Year: 2009..2) Determine whether an occupational screening evaluation can be combined with home diagnostic technologies to reduce the number of patients that need testing 3) Determine the relative economic costs of these screening strategies ..
- Hypoxia-induced apoptosis in a model of sleep apneaJames McKenna; Fiscal Year: 2004..Overall, it is predicted that the biochemical and apoptotic consequences of IH will be more severe than that of SH, although cellular changes will be observed after both hypoxic exposures. ..
- AMYGDALA AND SLEEPRuth Benca; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results obtained from these studies should increase our understanding of the mechanisms underlying sleep abnormalities in psychiatric disorders and insomnia. ..
- Adult Outcome of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity DisorderJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2007..For these reasons, we expect the proposed work to clarify the course and outcome of ADHD. ..
- Collaborative Pediatric Bipolar Disorder ConferenceJoseph Biederman; Fiscal Year: 2007..While the proposed conference does not intend to solve all outstanding problems associated with pediatric bipolar disorder, it will provide a forum to begin formulating a solution. ..