Summary: Disease involving the femoral nerve. The femoral nerve may be injured by ISCHEMIA (e.g., in association with DIABETIC NEUROPATHIES), nerve compression, trauma, COLLAGEN DISEASES, and other disease processes. Clinical features include MUSCLE WEAKNESS or PARALYSIS of hip flexion and knee extension, ATROPHY of the QUADRICEPS MUSCLE, reduced or absent patellar reflex, and impaired sensation over the anterior and medial thigh.
Publications144 found, 100 shown here
- Nerve conduction studies of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. Implications in the diagnosis of meralgia parestheticaMary J Russo
Department of Neurology, The George Washington University, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Am J Electroneurodiagnostic Technol 45:180-5. 2005..This simple change in technique requires no more effort, cost, or training on the part of the operator yet produces a much higher percentage of responses...
- Meralgia paresthetica following gynecologic and obstetric surgeryG Peters
Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Fazakerley, Liverpool, UK
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 95:42-3. 2006
- Transient femoral neuropathy after abdominoplastyEdward A Pechter
Division of Plastic Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Ann Plast Surg 61:492-3. 2008..Although it has been described after a variety of operative procedures, this article describes what may be the first reported occurrence of femoral neuropathy after abdominoplasty.
- Lateral femoral cutaneous neuralgia: an anatomical insightL C Dias Filho
Department of Morphology, Faculty of Medicine, Pernambuco Federal University, Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
Clin Anat 16:309-16. 2003..In 36% of cases there was no posterior branch of the nerve, which is correlated to lateral femoral cutaneous neuralgia symptoms often being limited to the anterior branch region. An accessory nerve was found in 30% of cases...
- Femoral nerve palsy after mandibular reconstruction with microvascular iliac flap: a complication under anticoagulation therapyC Toro
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:270-3. 2007..This case illustrates the need to be aware of this type of complication and its clinical manifestations for patients under anticoagulant therapy in the perioperative period during microvascular reconstructions...
- Retroperitoneal hematoma associated with femoral neuropathy: a complication under antiplatelets therapyA Nakao
Department of Surgery I, Okayama University Medical School, Japan
Acta Med Okayama 55:363-6. 2001..compressing the femoral nerve and performed an operation to remove the hematoma in order to decompress the femoral neuropathy. Postoperatively, the patient rapidly recovered from the femoral neuropathy...
- The treatment of femoral neuropathy due to pseudotumour caused by metal-on-metal resurfacing arthroplastyP Harvie
Oxford Tumour and Joint Reconstruction Service, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, UK
Hip Int 18:313-20. 2008..Pseudotumours may also present with a major nerve palsy. Two cases of femoral neuropathy due to pseudotumour masses caused by metal-on-metal resurfacing arthroplasty are presented...
- Iliopsoas bursitis-associated femoral neuropathy exacerbated after internal fixation of an intertrochanteric hip fracture in rheumatoid arthritis: a case reportAsami Tokita
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 10 22 Kawada, Shinjuku, Tokyo 162 0054, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 18:394-8. 2008..We would recommend that bursa excision be considered even in cases of iliopsoas bursitis associated with mild femoral neuropathy when destructive changes in the hip joint are also present.
- Acute femoral neuropathy: a rare complication after renal transplantationH Van Veer
Department of Abdominal Transplant Surgery, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Transplant Proc 42:4384-8. 2010b>Femoral neuropathy is a rare but disabling complication following renal transplantation and pelvic surgery in general...
- Iatrogenic femoral neuropathy: two cases and literature updateAbdullah Al-Ajmi
Consultant Neurologist, Regional Hospital Farwaniya, Kuwait
J Clin Neuromuscul Dis 12:66-75. 2010Iatrogenic femoral neuropathy is an uncommon surgical or obstetric complication that may be underreported...
- Acute femoral neuropathy secondary to an iliacus muscle hematomaM Seijo-Martinez
Neurology Service, Complexo Hospitalario de Pontevedra, Loureiro Crespo s n, Pontevedra 36 001, Spain
J Neurol Sci 209:119-22. 2003..iliacus muscle hematoma, appearing immediately after a minor physical maneuver, presenting with pain and femoral neuropathy initially evidenced by massive quadriceps muscle fasciculations...
- Femoral neuropathy following retroperitoneal hemorrhage: case series and review of the literatureShane S Parmer
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 20:536-40. 2006b>Femoral neuropathy due to retroperitoneal hematoma has been infrequently described in the literature...
- Case report: femoral neuropathy secondary to total hip arthroplasty wear debrisSamo K Fokter
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Trauma, Celje General Hospital, Oblakova 5, SLO 3000, Celje, Slovenia
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:3032-5. 2009..During surgical removal of the cyst, a defect of the inner acetabular wall was noted. After subsequent revision arthroplasty with allograft bone, the patient's clinical symptoms improved and his EMG returned to normal...
- Femoral neuropathy caused by reinforcement ring malposition and extruded bone-cement after revision total hip arthroplastyYoshitaka Tani
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Miyawaki Hospital, Shiga, Japan
J Arthroplasty 17:516-8. 2002b>Femoral neuropathy occurred after revision total hip arthroplasty as a result of pressure from the reinforcement ring and extruded bone-cement (polymethyl methacrylate)...
- Femoral nerve palsy caused by a self-retaining polyretractor during major pelvic surgeryCarlo Corbu
Luciano Giuliani Institute of Urology, University of Genoa, Italy
Urol Int 68:66-8. 2002Postoperative femoral neuropathy is not a well-recognized complication in urology. We report 2 cases of femoral nerve palsy due to compression ascribed to the use of the self-retaining retractor...
- Electrodiagnostic approach to the patient with suspected mononeuropathy of the lower extremityBashar Katirji
Department of Neurology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, University Hospitals of Cleveland, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 5098, USA
Neurol Clin 20:479-501, vii. 2002..In this section, the author emphasizes the EDX studies of most lower extremity mononeuropathies and discusses, briefly, their anatomical and clinical aspects...
- Bilateral meralgia paresthetica after cesarian section with epidural analgesiaFriedemann Paul
J Peripher Nerv Syst 11:98-9. 2006
- [Peripheral neuropathic pain relieved by somatosensory rehabilitation]F Mathis
Centre de Réeducation Sensitive, Clinique Generale, Fribourg
Rev Med Suisse 3:2745-8. 2007..Lastly, the result of the somatosensory rehabilitation of femoral neuralgia (NNT = 1.8) is documented on the basis of a prospective study done on 59 patients...
- Transient femoral neuropathy after harvest of bone from the iliac crestAdrian Farrow
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Monklands District General Hospital, Airdrie, Lanarkshire ML6 OJS, Scotland, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:572-4. 2004..For postoperative analgesia, she was given a bupivacaine infusion into the iliac wound. She developed a temporary left femoral mononeuropathy from which she recovered completely...
- Involvement of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve as source of persistent pain after total hip arthroplastyA Lee Dellon
Institute for Peripheral Nerve Surgery, Baltimode, Maryland, USA
J Arthroplasty 23:480-5. 2008..One of the 3 patients reported here had a coexisting meralgia paresthetica that was treated by the same operative approach. The orthopedic surgeon should include the LFC nerve as an origin of persistent pain after total hip arthroplasty...
- Meralgia paresthetica in a policeman: the belt or the gunNurten Korkmaz
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:1012-3. 2004
- Somatosensory evoked potentials predict neurolysis outcome in meralgia paraestheticaGavin Davis
ANZ J Surg 74:805-6; author reply 806-7. 2004
- Bilateral femoral neuropathy associated with disseminated intravascular coagulopathy: a case reportC Y Cheok
Orthopaedic Unit, Department of Surgery, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 61:97-9. 2006..Its related pathoanatomy is discussed based on the described evidences in the literature. Nonoperative treatment remains as a recommended option for coagulopathy-related neuropathy...
- Meralgia paresthetica caused by hip-huggers in a patient with aberrant course of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerveJong Woong Park
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Muscle Nerve 35:678-80. 2007..Ultrasonography was useful for detecting the lesion site and the abnormal pathway of the LFCN. After neurectomy of the LFCN, most of the symptoms of MP were relieved, but mild hypesthesia remained in the lateral thigh...
- Iliac compartment block following ilioinguinal iliohypogastric nerve blockThiayagarajan Shivashanmugam
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
Paediatr Anaesth 16:1084-6. 2006..25%) of bupivacaine administered in the smallest indicated volume of 0.25 ml.kg-1 using a double-shot technique...
- Femoral nerve entrapmentA Azuelos
European Neurosurgical Institute, Treviso, Italy
Acta Neurochir Suppl 92:61-2. 2005..Microsurgical nerve decompression, and the elimination of neurovascular conflict gave satisfactory results. The best result has been observed in neurovascular conflict cases...
- A case of femoral compressive neuropathy in AL amyloidosisEun Ha Kang
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 20:524-7. 2005..Femoral compressive neuropathy has never been reported in association with amyloid induced iliopsoas hypertrophic myopathy. This report expands the clinical spectrum of AL amyloidosis...
- Characterization of chronic constriction of the saphenous nerve, a model of neuropathic pain in mice showing rapid molecular and electrophysiological changesJean Sébastien Walczak
Department of Pharmacology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Neurosci Res 83:1310-22. 2006..This model takes advantage of the possible use in the future of genetically modified mice and of an exclusively sensory nerve for a comprehensive study of peripheral mechanisms of neuropathic pain...
- [Postoperative meralgia paresthetica]E Blanca Jover
An Pediatr (Barc) 65:504. 2006
- Decompression of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve in the treatment of meralgia parestheticaIvica Ducic
Department of Plastic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC 20007, USA
J Reconstr Microsurg 22:113-8. 2006..LFCN neurolysis alone had better results, compared to combined LFCN neurolysis and nerve resection. The conclusion is that neurolysis of the LFCN is an effective treatment for MP in properly selected patients...
- Transient femoral nerve palsy associated with a synovial cyst of the hip in a patient with spinal cord injuryK P Robinson
Arthroplasty Unit, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:107-8. 2007..An MRI scan confirmed a synovial cyst originating from the left hip joint, lying adjacent to the femoral nerve. The cyst expanded on standing, causing a transient femoral nerve palsy. The symptoms resolved after excision of the cyst...
- Risk of nerve damage from vascular access cathetersK R Vege
Anaesthesia 61:615-6. 2006
- Postoperative femoral motor neuropathy: diagnosis and treatment without neurologic consultation or testingJames Fanning
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Summa Health System, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Akron 44309, USA
J Reprod Med 52:285-8. 2007..To review the diagnosis and treatment of postoperative femoral motor neuropathy without neurologic consultation or testing...
- Dr Jacob Mackiewicz (1887-1966) and his signAvi Ohryi
J Med Biogr 15:102-3. 2007..This manoeuvre indicates a femoral nerve injury'...
- Prolonged femoral nerve palsy after ilio-inguinal nerve blockY Salib
Reg Anesth Pain Med 32:271. 2007
- Meralgia paresthetica: an unusual complication of cardiac catheterization via the femoral arteryRob Butler
Department of Cardiology, Green Lane Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 56:69-71. 2002..We report a case of meralgia paresthetica, a mononeuropathy affecting the lateral cutaneous nerve of the thigh following uncomplicated cardiac catheterization and percutaneous intervention via this route...
- Documenting neuropathy of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve using the Pressure-Specified Sensory Testing deviceJ Henk Coert
Division of Plastic Surgery, University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
Ann Plast Surg 50:373-7. 2003....
- [Inflammatory pseudotumor of the ileopsoas muscle with femoral paralysis caused by massive metal abrasion of a hip endoprosthesis]S Leinung
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik I, Universitat Leipzig, Liebigstrasse 20a, 04103 Leipzig
Chirurg 73:725-8. 2002..The wide excision revealed a rare inflammatory tumour in the left ileopsoas muscle due to the excessive abrasion of the metal hip endoprosthesis...
- Meralgia paraesthetica. A complication of a patient-positioning device in total hip replacementJ Kitson
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Torbay Hospital, Torquay, Devon, England, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 84:589-90. 2002..We describe three patients who developed meralgia paraesthetica after the use of a well-padded and carefully-placed patient-positioning device in total hip replacement...
- [Delayed paresis of the femoral nerve after total hip arthroplasty associated with hereditary neuropathy with liability to pressure palsies (HNPP)]A Schuh
Orthopädische Klinik Rummelsberg, Schwarzenbruck
Orthopade 33:836-40. 2004..It should be taken into consideration in cases of atypical findings of compression syndromes of peripheral nerves or delayed neuropathy, e. g., after total hip arthroplasty...
- A clinical case and anatomical study of the innervation supply of the vastus medialis muscleH Ozer
2nd Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Dr Muhittin Ulker Emergency Care and Traumatology Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 12:119-22. 2004..Isolated VM atrophy has not been previously reported. The purpose of the study was to identify the anatomical structures around the FN branch which innervates the VM muscle...
- Temporary femoral nerve palsy after ilioinguinal nerve blockade combined with splash block for post-inguinal herniorrhaphy analgesia in a pediatric patientTung Ying Tsai
Department of Anesthesiology, Chia Yi Christian Hospital, Chia Yi, Taiwan, ROC
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 45:237-40. 2007..The patient made a complete recovery 8 hrs after surgery without any treatment. We discuss the mechanism of this complication and strategies to reduce this complication...
- Hemangiomatosis presenting as meralgia parestheticaT Yamamoto
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University, Kobe, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 36:518-20. 2001..To our knowledge, hemangiomatosis has never been suggested as a cause of meralgia paresthetica...
- Femoral, saphenous nerve palsy after tourniquet use: a case reportIra D Kornbluth
Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:909-11. 2003..Further evaluation should be considered if patients who are having persistent weakness or sensory findings after surgery have used a tourniquet...
- Nervous system dysfunction in Henoch-Schonlein syndrome: systematic review of the literatureLuca Garzoni
Department of Paediatrics, Mendrisio and Bellinzona Hospitals, University Children s Hospital Bern, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Rheumatology (Oxford) 48:1524-9. 2009..CNS or peripheral nervous system dysfunction sometimes occurs in Henoch-Schönlein patients...
- Neurological complications in kidney transplant recipientsClaudio Ponticelli
IRCCS, Italian Auxologic Institute, Milan Italy
J Nephrol 18:521-8. 2005..Peripheral mononeuritis and polyneuritis may also occur. An acute femoral neuropathy may occur in about 2% of patients as a result of nerve compression after operation...
- Complications of femoral nerve block for total knee arthroplastySanjeev Sharma
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Lahey Clinic Medical Center, 41 Mall Road, Burlington, MA 01805, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:135-40. 2010..We recommend postoperative protocols be modified for patients who have FNB to account for decreased quadriceps function in the early postoperative period, which can lead to falls...
- Femoral nerve injury after gynecologic laparoscopyAndrea Porzionato
Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15:105-7. 2008..After operation, the patient showed irreversible femoral neuropathy, with left thigh weakness and allodynic paresthesias, from the site of the left trocar insertion to the ..
- Gabapentin for the treatment of neuropathic pain in a pregnant horseJennifer L Davis
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 231:755-8. 2007..A 24-year-old 732-kg (1,610-lb) pregnant Belgian draft horse mare developed neuropathy and signs of intractable pain following colic surgery...
- Lumbosacral plexopathy after dual kidney transplantationS S Dhillon
Department of Internal Medicine, St Elizabeth Health Center, Youngstown, OH, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 36:1045-8. 2000..However, isolated femoral neuropathy after renal transplantation has been reported, as the distal portion of this nerve is supplied by branches ..
- Iliopsoas hematoma with femoral neuropathy presenting a diagnostic dilemma after spinal decompressionD E Robinson
Department of Orthopaedics, Taunton and Somerset Hospital, Musgrove Park, Taunton, England
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:E135-8. 2001Case report of an iliopsoas hematoma with femoral neuropathy appearing 8 weeks after a posterior spinal decompression procedure.
- Robotic pursestring technique in low anterior resectionLeela M Prasad
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, John H Stroger Hospital, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 53:230-4. 2010..Robotic technology overcomes most of these limitations to simplify the procedure. We describe our technique of controlled rectal transection and robotic purse-string placement by use of the da Vinci Robotic system...
- Spontaneous haematoma of the iliac psoas muscle: a case report and review of the literatureG Marquardt
Neurosurgical Clinic, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Schleusenweg 2 16, 60528 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 122:109-11. 2002..We report the rare case of a spontaneous iliac psoas haematoma causing femoral neuropathy in a patient not undergoing anticoagulant treatment or suffering from a coagulopathy...
- Bilateral iliopsoas hematomas under sedation: a complication of postoperative therapy after coronary artery bypass graftingDai Une
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Saiseikai Imabari Hospital, Imabari, Ehime 799 1592, Japan
Acta Med Okayama 64:71-3. 2010..Many patients with an iliopsoas hematoma complain of low-abdominal pain or femoral neuropathy, but such local signs may be absent under sedation...
- Synovial cyst of the hip in a patient with rheumatoid arthritisMakoto Kawasaki
Department of Orthopaedics, Tohoku Rosai Hospital, 4 3 21 Dainohara, Aoba ku, Sendai, Miyagi 981 8563, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 23:587-92. 2013..arthritis (RA; Steinblocker stage IV, class 4) who had RA onset at 34 years of age had anterior thigh pain, femoral neuropathy and lower abdominal pain...
- Dermatan 4-O-sulfotransferase1 ablation accelerates peripheral nerve regenerationNuray Akyüz
Center for Molecular Neurobiology Hamburg, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Exp Neurol 247:517-30. 2013..These results suggest that while Chst14 and its enzymatic products might be of limited importance for neural development, they may contribute to the regeneration-restricting environment in the adult mammalian nervous system. ..
- Compressive femoral neuropathy: a rare complication of anticoagulationH S Ong
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433
Singapore Med J 48:e94-5. 2007The most common coagulation disorder associated with warfarin use is bleeding, but compressive femoral neuropathy is an unusual presentation. A 63-year-old man with compressive femoral neuropathy from an iliacus haematoma is reported...
- [Schwannoma of the femoral nerve: a rare differential diagnosis of leg pain]P Schulte
Orthopadische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45147, Essen, Deutschland
Schmerz 27:312-6. 2013..Schwannomas (neurinomas) are among the most frequent peripheral nerve tumors. Nevertheless, these are seldom located in the lower extremities in association with the femoral nerve...
- Complications of hysterectomyDaniel L Clarke-Pearson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514, USA
Obstet Gynecol 121:654-73. 2013..15%), and total vaginal hysterectomy (0.08%). With an emphasis on optimizing surgical technique, recognition of surgical complications, and timely management, we aim to minimize risk for women undergoing hysterectomy...
- Non-operative management of femoral neuropathy secondary to a traumatic iliacus haematoma in an adolescentA Patel
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Alpert School of Medicine, Brown University, 2 Dudley Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1380-1. 2008..We present the case of a healthy 15-year-old boy with a femoral neuropathy due to an iliacus haematoma which resolved following conservative treatment.
- A novel approach to the diagnosis and management of meralgia parestheticaS A Reza Nouraei
West London Neuroscience Centre, Charing Cross Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Neurosurgery 60:696-700; discussion 700. 2007..To review the results of conservative and surgical treatment of meralgia paresthetica (MP), with particular reference to the use of a simple clinical test for diagnosing this condition and the outcome of primary nerve decompression surgery...
- Epithelioid perineurioma: an unusual variantS A Haider
Department of Histopathology, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Nottingham, UK
J Clin Pathol 61:1130-2. 2008....
- Femoral nerve involvement in diabeticsS Kurt
Department of Neurology, Gaziosmanpasa University Faculty of Medicine, Tokat, Turkey
Eur J Neurol 16:375-9. 2009..In this study, the conduction of the femoral nerve has been evaluated in diabetic patients without clinical signs of femoral nerve involvement and in a group of healthy subjects...
- [CT/MRI image characteristics of iliopsoas bursitis in avascular necrosis of femoral head]Ennian Gong
Orthopaedic Hospital of PLA, Beijing, 100039, P R China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 22:295-8. 2008..To investigate the spectrum of CT and MR imaging and surgical operation findings in iliopsoas bursitis in patients with avascular necrosis of femoral head so as to enhance the diagnostic ability...
- [Cases of femoral nerve palsy after radical prostatectomy]Tomoko Inoue
Department of Anesthesiology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 22 Showa machi, Maebashi 371 8511, Japan
Masui 57:363-5. 2008Although postoperative femoral neuropathy is an uncommon complication occurring after pelvic surgery, we experienced several cases of femoral nerve palsy in patients after radical prostatectomy...
- Inflammatory pseudotumor associated with femoral nerve palsy following metal-on-metal resurfacing of the hip. A case reportRobert A E Clayton
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1988-93. 2008
- Femoral mononeuropathy caused by a malignant sarcoma: two case reportsPatrícia Montoliu
Department of Animal Medicine and Surgery, Veterinary School, Autonomous University of Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Vet J 178:298-301. 2008..These cases provide the first descriptions of malignant neoplasms other than PNSTs that infiltrate the femoral nerve or its nerve roots and cause unilateral femoral mononeuropathy and lameness of obscure origin...
- [Infiltrations, blocks and neurolysis in musculoskeletal pathology]T Bouziane
Clinique Notre dame de Tournai, avenue Delmée no 9, 7500 Tournai, Belgique
J Radiol 88:1248-54. 2007..These percutaneous procedures must be performed with maximum patient comfort and cause as little complications as possible. These procedures should be performed by an experienced radiologist after discussion with the treating clinician...
- Meralgia paresthetica due to body armor wear in U.S. soldiers serving in Iraq: a case report and review of the literatureMatthew V Fargo
172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Baghdad, Iraq
Mil Med 172:663-5. 2007..Although use of protective body armor is proven to be lifesaving, modifications to improve current equipment may help to decrease morbidities such as meralgia paresthetica...
- Giant iliopsoas bursitis: a complication of chronic arthritisClaire Louise Murphy
Department of Rheumatology, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Clin Rheumatol 16:83-5. 2010..We describe the cases of 2 patients, one of whom developed a femoral neuropathy, while the other had marked venous compression of the lower limb resulting from enlargement of the iliopsoas ..
- Conservative treatment of femoral neuropathy following retroperitoneal hemorrhage: a case report and review of literatureAliye Tosun
aClinics of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ankara Atatürk Education and Research Hospital bDepartment of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation cDepartment of Cardiology, Kırıkkale University Faculty of Medicine dClinics of Radiodiagnostics, Ankara Ataturk Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 25:769-72. 2014..However, minor and major bleeding complications may occur during anticoagulation therapy. Femoral neuropathy secondary to retroperitoneal hematoma is a well known complication of anticoagulant drugs...
- Iatrogenic femoral nerve injury: a systematic reviewAbigail E Moore
Department of Anatomy, Otago School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, PO Box 913, Dunedin, New Zealand
Surg Radiol Anat 33:649-58. 2011..It causes distress and disability and may lead to permanent motor and/or sensory sequelae. The aim of this systematic review was to explore the contemporary spectrum of this injury reported in the literature...
- Management of medically intractable genitofemoral and ilioingunal neuralgiaFeridun Acar
Pamukkale University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery, Denizli, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 23:753-7. 2013..To evaluate the effectiveness of invasive procedures in medically intractable genitofemoral and ilioingunal neuralgia...
- Iliopsoas haemorrhage in patients with haemophilia: results from one centreC Balkan
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Ege University School of Medicine, Burova, Izmir, Turkey
Haemophilia 11:463-7. 2005..In conclusion, pain around the hip joint, femoral neuropathy and hip flexion contracture in a patient with haemophilia should alert the physician to the possibility of ..
- A case report of an uncommon neuropathy: posterior femoral cutaneous neuropathyYasemin Bicer Gomceli
Ministry of Health Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Department of Neurology, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Neurol Belg 105:43-5. 2005..While normal response can be obtained easily on the left side; no potential could be obtained from the right...
- [Femoral neuropathy as presentation of psoas iliacus hematoma]M Forcano
An Med Interna 20:594-5. 2003
- Pitfalls in the use of acetabular reinforcement rings in total hip revisionRainer Bader
Orthopaedische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitaet Rostock, Ulmenstr 44 45, 18057 Rostock, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 125:558-63. 2005..In clinical practice, these implants showed to some extent good long-term results. In the present work pitfalls and complications after the implantation of acetabular reinforcement rings as well as possible solutions are being discussed...
- Motor nerve palsy following primary total hip arthroplastyChristopher M Farrell
Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:2619-25. 2005..The purpose of this study was to retrospectively identify risk factors for, and the prognosis associated with, a motor nerve palsy following primary total hip arthroplasty...
- Preliminary results and complications following limited open reduction and percutaneous screw fixation of displaced fractures of the acetabulumA J Starr
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, USA
Injury 32:SA45-50. 2001..Five of the elderly patients have gone on to total hip arthroplasty. The average Harris Hip scores in groups 1 and 2 were 85 and 96, respectively...
- Iliacus muscle rupture with associated femoral nerve palsy after abdominal extension exercises: a case reportSamuel M Sanders
NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 301 East 17th Street, New York, NY 10003, USA
Am J Sports Med 34:837-9. 2006
- Meralgia paraesthetica following lumbar spine surgery: a study in 110 consecutive surgically treated casesA Gupta
Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre and Shushrusha Citizens Co operative Hospital, Mumbai, India
Neurol India 52:64-6. 2004..Compression of the nerve by disc hernia, retroperitoneal tumors, and external pressure around the anterior superior iliac spine is common. However, it is not commonly observed after lumbar spinal surgery in prone position...
- [2 cases of paresthetic meralgia of the femoral cutaneous nerve]M Ferrà Verdera
Servicio de Anestesiologia, Reanimacion y Terapeutica del Dolor, Hospital Universitario Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 50:154-6. 2003..Oral analgesics can be prescribed if necessary and weight loss is required for obese patients. Surgical ablation of the nerve is a last resort...
- The ultrasonographic appearance of the femoral nerve and cases of iatrogenic impairmentHannes Gruber
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
J Ultrasound Med 22:163-72. 2003..To assess the feasibility of ultrasonography of femoral nerves in a cadaveric specimen, healthy volunteers, and patients...
- [Surgical treatment of meralgia paresthetica: case report]Maurus Marques de Almeida Holanda
Serviço de Neurocirurgia Unineuro, Hospital Santa Isabel, Joao Pessoa, PB, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 61:288-90. 2003..The area of anesthesia generated by this procedure in the distribution of the LFCN tends to shrink with time. This patient achieved excellent outcome following this surgical technique...
- Bilateral variations of the psoas major and the iliacus muscles and presence of an undescribed variant muscle--accessory iliopsoas muscleL Jelev
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Medical University Sofia, ul Zdrave 2, BG 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria
Ann Anat 187:281-6. 2005..The clinical significance of the described variant muscles and their importance as an additional factor in the femoral neuropathy are also a matter of discussion in our report.
- Femoral neuropathy in a dog with iliopsoas muscle injuryMatthew W Stepnik
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Vet Surg 35:186-90. 2006..To report femoral nerve dysfunction caused by focal iliopsoas muscle injury and treated by performing tenectomy of the muscle insertion...
- Intra-abdominal femoral nerve reconstruction following excision during right hemicolectomyM D Barrett
The Welsh Peripheral Nerve Surgery Unit, The Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery, Morriston Hospital, Swansea SA6 6NL, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 64:1689-92. 2011..We present a case report of complete femoral nerve transection following abdominal surgery and discuss our management...
- Bilateral femoral neuropathy after massive toxic ingestion in a suicide attemptStéphane Mathis
Department of Neurology, CHU Poitiers, University of Poitiers, Poitiers, France
Neurologist 18:70-2. 2012..Bilateral femoral nerve injury can occur after various surgical and nonsurgical processes, but has rarely been reported...
- Treatment for meralgia paraestheticaNofal Khalil
Clinical Neurophysiology, West London Neurosciences Centre, London, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 12:CD004159. 2012..We aimed to examine the evidence for the relative efficacy of these interventions. This review was first published in 2008. Searches were updated in 2010 and 2012...
- [Reconstruction of quadriceps femoris muscle function with muscle transfer]H Fansa
Klinik für Plastische, Wiederherstellungs und Asthetische Chirurgie, Handchirurgie, Klinikum Mitte, Bielefeld
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 42:233-8. 2010..The latter results as typical complication in polio from weakening knee flexion through biceps femoris transfer, if the gastrocnemius muscle is not forceful enough. However in an isolated femoral nerve lesion this will rarely occur...
- Meralgia paresthetica in the pediatric population: a propos of 2 casesDaniel Martín Fernández-Mayoralas
Neuropediatrics Section, Hospital Quiron, C Diego de Velázquez, Pozuelo de Alarcon, Madrid, Spain
J Child Neurol 25:110-3. 2010..First-line treatment should be conservative, but topiramate may be useful for the treatment of meralgia paresthetica, although broader studies are needed to evaluate its true effectiveness in this pathological condition...
- Isolated posterior femoral cutaneous neuropathy following intragluteal injectionJee Eun Kim
Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
Muscle Nerve 40:864-6. 2009..We assessed the posterior femoral cutaneous nerve using an accepted conduction technique. The results showed a normal response on the asymptomatic side, but no response on the symptomatic side...
- [Sequelae of tick-born encephalitis in cases treated in the infection observatory ward of Regional Hospital in Gizycko]Maciej Adamski
Oddział Obserwacyjno Zakaźny Szpitala Powiatowego w Gizycku
Przegl Epidemiol 57:271-4. 2003..The paper reveals the description of the sequels of tick-born encephalitis among patients treated in Infectious Observatory Ward of Country Hospital in Gizycko during 2000-2002...
- Nerve injuries after neuraxial anaesthesia and their medicolegal implicationsCynthia A Wong
Department of Anesthesiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 24:367-81. 2010..The most common intrinsic obstetric palsy is lateral femoral neuropathy. Palsies of the femoral, obturator, sciatic, common peroneal nerves and lumbosacral plexus have also been ..
- Meralgia paresthetica secondary to lipomaCheng Shyuan Rau
Department of Neurosurgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Hsien, Taiwan
J Neurosurg Spine 12:103-5. 2010..The authors conclude that lipoma compression can cause MP, and in such cases, total excision of the lipoma may resolve the condition...
- [Meralgia paraesthetica: a report on a series of 140 cases]A Martinez-Salio
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Espana
Rev Neurol 49:405-8. 2009..Meralgia paraesthetica is a pathology that is frequently seen in visits to extra-hospital neurology services. Nevertheless, the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of this condition remain somewhat unclear...
- [Extensive multinodular schwannoma of femoral nerve]Klaus Heinrich Bründel
Facharzt für Allgemeinmedizin, Gütersloh, Germany
Med Klin (Munich) 97:687-91. 2002..The physical examination showed multiple nodular masses both in the groin and along the thigh that were painful to touch. The remainder of the physical examination was unremarkable...
- Lesion of the femoral nerve caused by a hydatid cyst of the right psoas muscleDragoljub Bilanovic
Department of Surgery, Medical Centre Bezanijska Kosa, Belgrade, Serbia
Srp Arh Celok Lek 138:502-5. 2010..All organs in the human body may be affected by hydatid disease, but excluding liver and lungs, all other organs are considered as uncommon locations. Hydatid disease located in the psoas muscle is uncommon...
- Lateral femoral cutaneous nerve impairment after direct anterior approach for total hip arthroplastyTarun Bhargava
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University at Good Samaritan Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Orthopedics 33:472. 2010..Incision position, dissection plane, retractor placement, tension and soft tissue handling, and surgeon experience may affect incidence of injury to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve...
- Meralgia paresthetica, the elusive diagnosis: clinical experience with 14 adult patientsG K Ivins
Department of Surgery, Callaway Community Hospital, Fulton, Missouri 65251, USA
Ann Surg 232:281-6. 2000..To discuss the diagnosis and treatment of meralgia paresthetica as reported in the literature and as experienced by the author...
- [Is the epidural analgesia to blame when it comes to neurological complications following labor?]V Dahl
Anestesiavdelingen, Baerum sykehus, 1306 Baerum postterminal
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 121:1587-90. 2001..One of every four parturient in Norway receives epidural analgesia during labour. Even though epidural analgesia is considered very safe, there is a tendency to blame the epidural whenever there are neurological complications after labour...
- Role of Endogenous Opioid System in the Placebo EffectJames Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) Identify relationships between the magnitude of the placebo response and regional mu opioid receptor availability in a non-painful condition. ..
- MECHANISMS OF NEUROPATHIC PAINJames Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will provide a biological rationale for the development of peripheral treatments for neuropathic pain. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..