Genomes and Genes
Summary: Increased sensitivity to cutaneous stimulation due to a diminished threshold or an increased response to stimuli.
Publications206 found, 100 shown here
- Attenuation of mechanical allodynia by clinically utilized drugs in a rat chemotherapy-induced neuropathic pain modelJames J Lynch
Neuroscience Research, Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Dept R4N5, Abbott Laboratories, Bldg AP9A LL, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, IL 60064 6115, USA
Pain 110:56-63. 2004..The surprisingly good effects observed with acetaminophen warrant further investigation of its mechanism(s) of action in neuropathic pain...
- A role for G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 in mechanical allodyniaWendy Kleibeuker
University Medical Center Utrecht, Laboratory of Psychoneuroimmunology, KC03 068 0, Lundlaan 6, 3584 EA, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Neurosci 25:1696-704. 2007..We propose cytokine-induced down-regulation of spinal cord neuronal GRK2 expression as a novel mechanism that contributes to increased neuronal signalling in mechanical allodynia...
- Normalization of widespread hyperesthesia and facilitated spatial summation of deep-tissue pain in knee osteoarthritis patients after knee replacementT Graven-Nielsen
Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark
Arthritis Rheum 64:2907-16. 2012..This study evaluated the importance of ongoing tissue pathology in the maintenance of enhanced central pain processing...
- Minocycline attenuates mechanical allodynia and proinflammatory cytokine expression in rat models of pain facilitationAnnemarie Ledeboer
Department of Psychology and the Center for Neuroscience, University of Colorado at Boulder, Campus Box 345, Boulder, CO 80309 0345, USA
Pain 115:71-83. 2005..Taken together these data highlight the importance of microglial activation in the development of exaggerated pain states...
- Corneal epitheliopathy of dry eye induces hyperesthesia to mechanical air jet stimulationCintia Sade de Paiva
Ocular Surface Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 137:109-15. 2004..To evaluate corneal sensation in different groups: normal subjects, dry eye patients, and patients with and without dry eye after laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) using the modified Belmonte gas esthesiometer...
- Mechanical hyperesthesia of human facial skin induced by tonic painful stimulation of jaw musclesP Svensson
Center for Sensory Motor Interaction, Aalborg University, Denmark
Pain 74:93-100. 1998..Similar hyperexcitability changes may be part of the pathophysiological mechanisms involved in painful temporomandibular disorders...
- Central representation of muscle pain and mechanical hyperesthesia in the orofacial region: a positron emission tomography studyRon C Kupers
CFIN, Aarhus University and Aarhus University Hospitals, Aarhus, Denmark
Pain 108:284-93. 2004..jaw-muscle pain and its interference by simultaneous mechanical stimuli, which has been shown to evoke hyperesthesia. Ten healthy subjects participated in a PET study and jaw-muscle pain was induced by bolus injections of 5% ..
- Hyperesthesia: an early manifestation of diabetic polyneuropathyMasayuki Baba
Intern Med 41:1079-80. 2002
- Analysis of spinal cord proteome in the rats with mechanical allodynia after the spinal nerve injurySang Chul Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 744, Republic of Korea
Biotechnol Lett 25:2071-8. 2003..Therefore, a lower creatine kinase B expression level may be important in the development and maintenance of neuropathic pain...
- Cyclooxygenase 2 expression in the spared nerve injury model of neuropathic painD C Broom
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Neuroscience 124:891-900. 2004..The pain hypersensitivity produced by the SNI model is not COX-2-dependent...
- Enhanced evoked excitatory transmitter release in experimental neuropathy requires descending facilitationL R Gardell
Department of Pharmacology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Neurosci 23:8370-9. 2003..Thus, convergence of descending modulation, spinal plasticity, and afferent drive in the nerve-injured state reveals a mechanism by which some aspects of nerve injury-induced hyperesthesias may occur...
- Comparison of icilin- and cold-evoked responses of spinal neurones, and their modulation of mechanical activity, in a model of neuropathic painJennifer L Brignell
Institute of Neuroscience, School of Biomedical Sciences, E Floor, Medical School, Queens Medical Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, UK
Brain Res 1215:87-96. 2008..Our data suggests that icilin modulates the mechanosensitivity of dorsal horn neurones. The differing effects of ice and icilin on dorsal horn neurones indicate different mechanisms of action...
- Quantifying allodynia in patients suffering from unilateral neuropathic pain using von frey monofilamentsDoeke Keizer
Department of Anesthesiology, Pain Management Center, University Medical Center Groningen, PO Box 30001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Clin J Pain 23:85-90. 2007....
- Illusion of pain: pre-existing knowledge determines brain activation of 'imagined allodynia'Heidrun H Krämer
Department of Neurology, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Pain 9:543-51. 2008..According to our results, the medial pain system is involved in the encoding of imagined allodynia...
- Upregulation of substance P in low-threshold myelinated afferents is not required for tactile allodynia in the chronic constriction injury and spinal nerve ligation modelsDavid I Hughes
Spinal Cord Group, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 27:2035-44. 2007..They also suggest that any release of substance P from injured Abeta afferents is unlikely to activate NK1 receptors in the dorsal horn or contribute to neuropathic pain...
- Mapping the spinal and supraspinal pathways of dynamic mechanical allodynia in the human trigeminal system using cardiac-gated fMRICaterina Mainero
Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Neuroimage 35:1201-10. 2007..These results indicate that the pain modulatory system is involved to a different extent during primary versus secondary mechanical allodynia...
- Intracellular messengers involved in spontaneous pain, heat hyperalgesia, and mechanical allodynia induced by intrathecal dihydroxyphenylglycineSnijezanna S Ambrosini
Department of Anesthesia, McGill University, Canada Department of Psychology, McGill University, Canada
Neurosci Lett 409:224-9. 2006..Neither PD 98059, nor GF 109203X, altered mechanical or thermal thresholds in saline-injected control rats. These results suggest that both ERK and PKC are involved in persistent pain associated with the i.t. administration of DHPG...
- Relief of post-herpetic neuralgia by surgical removal of painful skinKarin L Petersen
Department of Neurology, UCSF Pain Clinical Research Center, University of California San Francisco, 1701 Divisadero Street, Suite 480, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Pain 98:119-26. 2002..The results may explain the anatomical basis of the capsaicin-response test and have implications for our understanding of clinical mechanisms underlying PHN pain...
- Thermal and tactile sensory deficits and allodynia in a nerve-injured patient: a multimodal psychophysical and functional magnetic resonance imaging studyRobert K Hofbauer
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin J Pain 22:104-8. 2006..A case study was conducted to examine a patient with chronic neuropathic pain of the right foot following peripheral nerve injury and characterize associated sensory abnormalities...
- Antinociceptive effect of cannabinoid agonist WIN 55,212-2 in rats with a spinal cord injuryAldric Hama
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, 1095 NW 14th Terrace R 48, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Exp Neurol 204:454-7. 2007..These data indicate that a CB(1)-selective agonist may be novel therapeutic treatment for clinical SCI pain...
- Assessment of nociception in acrylamide-induced neuropathy in ratsBing Ling
Laboratoire de Toxicologie, Faculte de Pharmacie, EA 3848, 28 Place Henri Dunant, BP 38, 63001 Clermont Ferrand, France
Pain 119:104-12. 2005....
- Depletion of endogenous spinal 5-HT attenuates the behavioural hypersensitivity to mechanical and cooling stimuli induced by spinal nerve ligationWahida Rahman
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Pain 123:264-74. 2006....
- Evaluation of allodynia and pain associated with postherpetic neuralgia using current perception threshold testingTetsuya Sakai
Department of Anesthesiology, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan
Clin J Pain 22:359-62. 2006..This study was carried out to clarify the roles of peripheral sensory nerves in the production of allodynia and ongoing pain. Current perception threshold (CPT) testing was used to evaluate the sensory function...
- Tactile allodynia in patients with postherpetic neuralgia: lack of change in skin blood flow upon dynamic stimulationMarie Besson
Pain Clinic, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol BS2 8HW, UK
Pain 117:154-61. 2005..In conclusion, in a representative population of PHN patients we found no evidence of changes in SBF in response to allodynic stimulation. Hence, SBF measurements are not suitable for assessing allodynia...
- Increases in the activated forms of ERK 1/2, p38 MAPK, and CREB are correlated with the expression of at-level mechanical allodynia following spinal cord injuryEric D Crown
Department of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Mail Route 1043 Galveston, TX 77555 1043, USA
Exp Neurol 199:397-407. 2006..Taken together, these results indicate that activation of intracellular signaling cascades traditionally associated with long-term potentiation and memory is associated with the expression of chronic CNP following SCI...
- Should cluster headache be associated with cutaneous allodynia?R Burstein
Cephalalgia 26:1041-2. 2006
- Spinal dorsal horn calcium channel alpha2delta-1 subunit upregulation contributes to peripheral nerve injury-induced tactile allodyniaChun Ying Li
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92717, USA
J Neurosci 24:8494-9. 2004..Thus, changes in presynaptic alpha2delta-1 subunit expression contribute to injury-induced spinal neuroplasticity and central sensitization that underlies neuropathic pain development and maintenance...
- Quantitative sensory testing in cluster headache: increased sensory thresholdsJ Ladda
Department of Neurology, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Cephalalgia 26:1043-50. 2006....
- Mechanical allodynia and thermal hyperalgesia upon acute opioid withdrawal in the neonatal ratSarah M Sweitzer
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Pain 110:269-80. 2004..The present work illustrates the need to examine the phenomenon of hypersensitivity upon opioid withdrawal in the human pediatric population...
- The 5-HT3 receptor facilitates at-level mechanical allodynia following spinal cord injuryMark A Oatway
The Spinal Cord Injury Team, BioTherapeutics Research Group, Robarts Research Institute, P O Box 5015, 100 Perth Drive, London, Ont, Canada N6A 5K8
Pain 110:259-68. 2004..However, the more long-lasting effects of this enhanced serotonergic input may facilitate chronic, at-level allodynia via the 5-HT(3)-R...
- Repeated intrathecal injections of plasmid DNA encoding interleukin-10 produce prolonged reversal of neuropathic painErin D Milligan
Department of Psychology and the Center for Neuroscience, University of CO at Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Pain 126:294-308. 2006..Together, these data suggest that intrathecal IL-10 gene therapy may provide a novel approach for prolonged clinical pain control...
- Anti-allodynic effects of peripheral delta opioid receptors in neuropathic painNoufissa Kabli
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ont, Canada K7L 3N6
Pain 127:84-93. 2007..Taken together, our findings suggest that functional peripheral DORs are present in sensory neurons following PNI and validate the development of selective DOR agonists for alleviating neuropathic pain...
- Attenuation of neuropathic pain by segmental and supraspinal activation of the dorsal column system in awake ratsC El-Khoury
Department of Human Morphology, Faculty of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Neuroscience 112:541-53. 2002..This inhibition can be attributed to the activation of brainstem pain-modulating centers via rostral projections of the dorsal column nuclei...
- Lowered response threshold and increased responsiveness to mechanical stimulation of cutaneous nociceptive fibers in streptozotocin-diabetic rat skin in vitro--correlates of mechanical allodynia and hyperalgesia observed in the early stage of diabetesYoshiaki Suzuki
Department of Anesthesiology, Banbuntane Houtokukai Hospital, Fujita Health University, Nagoya, Japan
Neurosci Res 43:171-8. 2002..In addition, the response pattern to mechanical stimulation was also changed to a non-adapting type. These findings suggest that changes in CPRs contribute to the enhanced nociception observed in the early stage of diabetic neuropathy...
- Segmental hypersensitivity and spinothalamic function in spinal cord injury painNanna B Finnerup
Danish Pain Research Center and Department of Neurology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Exp Neurol 207:139-49. 2007....
- Receptor subtype-specific pronociceptive and analgesic actions of galanin in the spinal cord: selective actions via GalR1 and GalR2 receptorsH X Liu
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:9960-4. 2001..Thus, a selective GalR1 agonist may be used to treat neuropathic pain...
- Spinal pathways involved in supraspinal modulation of neuropathic manifestations in ratsNayef E Saade
Department of Human Morphology, Faculty of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Pain 126:280-93. 2006..The recovery of symptoms following spinal lesions provides illustration on the plasticity of the neural network involved in the processing of the neuropathic syndromes...
- The effect of menthol on cold allodynia in patients with neuropathic painGunnar Wasner
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Pain Med 9:354-8. 2008..We investigated the effects of menthol on preexisting cold allodynia in patients to test whether the allodynia was exacerbated...
- Pronociceptive actions of dynorphin maintain chronic neuropathic painZ Wang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Neurosci 21:1779-86. 2001..Identification of mechanisms that maintain neuropathic pain appears important for strategies to treat neuropathic pain...
- Usefulness and limitations of quantitative sensory testing: clinical and research application in neuropathic pain statesPer Hansson
Dept of Neurosurgery, Pain Center, Karolinska University Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Pain 129:256-9. 2007
- Activation of microglia and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in the dorsal column nucleus contributes to tactile allodynia following peripheral nerve injuryR Terayama
Department of Oral Function and Anatomy, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama, Japan
Neuroscience 153:1245-55. 2008..Activation of p38 MAPK in medullary microglia may contribute to the pathogenesis of neuropathic pain...
- Activation of cannabinoid CB1 and CB2 receptors suppresses neuropathic nociception evoked by the chemotherapeutic agent vincristine in ratsE J Rahn
Neuroscience and Behavior Program, Department of Psychology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 3013, USA
Br J Pharmacol 152:765-77. 2007..The ability of cannabinoids to suppress mechanical hypersensitivity (mechanical allodynia) induced by treatment with the chemotherapeutic agent vincristine was evaluated in rats. Sites of action were subsequently identified...
- Cutaneous endothelin-A receptors elevate post-incisional painFlorence H Mujenda
Pain Research Center, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pain 133:161-73. 2007..Post-incisional mechanical hyperesthesia was evaluated by cutaneous trunci muscle reflexes (CTMR) of subcutaneous muscles responding to stimulation ..
- Alteration in the voltage dependence of NMDA receptor channels in rat dorsal horn neurones following peripheral inflammationH Guo
Marine Biomedical Institute, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555-1069, USA
J Physiol 537:115-23. 2001..7. These results indicate that NMDA receptor channel characteristics in the dorsal horn are altered by inflammation, and that the changes observed could contribute to the hyperalgesia and allodynia associated with tissue injury...
- Static mechanical allodynia (SMA) is a paradoxical painful hypo-aesthesia: observations derived from neuropathic pain patients treated with somatosensory rehabilitationC J Spicher
Somatosensory Rehabilitation Centre, Clinique Generale, Fribourg, Switzerland
Somatosens Mot Res 25:77-92. 2008..The location of the axonal lesions is at the periphery, while the mechanism of pain sensitization is probably central and referred peripherally to the skin by a painful hypoaesthesia...
- Muscarinic receptor activation potentiates the effect of spinal cord stimulation on pain-related behavior in rats with mononeuropathyZhiyang Song
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Section of Neurosurgery, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm 171 76, Sweden
Neurosci Lett 436:7-12. 2008..In conclusion, the combination of SCS and a drug with selective muscarinic receptor agonistic properties could be an optional therapy, when SCS per se has proven inefficient...
- Different peripheral mechanisms mediate enhanced nociception in metabolic/toxic and traumatic painful peripheral neuropathies in the ratK O Aley
NIH Pain Center UCSF, Box 0440, University of California San Francisco, 521 Parnassus Avenue, 94143 0440, USA
Neuroscience 111:389-97. 2002....
- Chronic morphine induces downregulation of spinal glutamate transporters: implications in morphine tolerance and abnormal pain sensitivityJianren Mao
Massachusetts General Hospital Pain Center and Neural Plasticity Research Group, Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Neurosci 22:8312-23. 2002..These results indicate that spinal GTs may contribute to the neural mechanisms of morphine tolerance and associated abnormal pain sensitivity by means of regulating regional glutamate homeostasis...
- Tick-borne encephalitis virus as a possible cause of optic neuritis in a dogK Stadtbäumer
Clinic for Surgery and Ophthalmology, University of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinarplatz 1, 1210 Vienna, Austria
Vet Ophthalmol 7:271-7. 2004..Anti-inflammatory therapy was stopped on day 18 after diagnosis. Four days later the dog showed evidence of hyperesthesia in the cervical region. Analysis of CSF showed no abnormalities and CSF IgG titers for TBEV and A...
- [Two outbreaks of eosinophilic meningitis in Yunann (China) clinical, epidemiological and therapeutical issues]Z Zhou
The Second Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University, Chine
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 102:75-80. 2009..b>Hyperesthesia due to radiculitis was observed in 68% of the cases and the meningitis syndrome was present in 41%...
- [Reflex sympathetic dystrophy secondary to piriformis syndrome: a case report]Didem Akcali
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Algology Department, Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Agri 21:75-9. 2009..Erythema and hyperalgesia was present in dorsum of the right foot. Right foot dorsiflexion was weak and hyperesthesia was found in right L4-5 dermatome...
- [Case of recurrent transverse myelitis and diplopia after meningomyeloradiculitis caused by Epstein-Barr virus]Masayuki Ochi
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Medicine and Bioscience, Graduate School of Medicine, Ehime University
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 47:348-52. 2007..tests revealed neck stiffness, flaccid paraparesis in the legs with absent deep tendon reflexes, and hyperesthesia below Th7...
- Patterns of quantitative sensation testing of hypoesthesia and hyperalgesia are predictive of diabetic polyneuropathy: a study of three cohorts. Nerve growth factor study groupP J Dyck
Peripheral Neuropathy Research Center, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Diabetes Care 23:510-7. 2000..To test quantitative sensation testing (QST) patterns of hypoesthesia and hyperalgesia as indicators of diabetic polyneuropathy (DPN) and its severity..
- Surfer's myelopathyTodd P Thompson
Department of Neurosurgery, Straub Clinic and Hospital, Honolulu, Hawaii
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E353-6. 2004..The authors reviewed a series of nontraumatic spinal cord injuries associated with surfing lessons...
- Paresthesia of the mental nerve stem from periapical infection of mandibular canine tooth: a case reportBirkan Taha Ozkan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Selcuk, Konya, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:e28-31. 2008Sensory disturbances such as paresthesia, anesthesia, hypoesthesia, and hyperesthesia may be present in the oral cavity. Paresthesia is defined as a burning or prickling sensation or partial numbness caused by neural injury...
- Chronic pain and sensory changes after augmentation mammoplasty: long term effects of preincisional administration of methylprednisoloneLuis Romundstad
University of Oslo, Department Group of Clinical Medicine, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Pain 124:92-9. 2006..Methylprednisolone was associated with reduced odds for hyperesthesia at 1 year (OR 0.3, 95% CI 0.1-0...
- Development and characterization of a hemorrhagic rat model of central post-stroke painJ K Wasserman
University of Toronto, Division of Anatomy, MSB 1186, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
Neuroscience 161:173-83. 2009..Behavioral analysis showed that animals displayed hyperesthesia in response to mechanical pinch stimulation, with sensitivity localized to the hind limb...
- Notalgia paresthetica: a study on pathogenesisE Savk
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Adnan Menderes University, Aydin, Turkey
Int J Dermatol 39:754-9. 2000..The characteristic symptom is pruritus on the back, occasionally accompanied by pain, paresthesia, and/or hyperesthesia, which results in a well-circumscribed hyperpigmented patch in the symptomatic area...
- New mini-osteotomy of the infraorbital nerve in bony decompression for endocrine orbitopathyLuigi Clauser
Unit of Craniomaxillofacial Surgery, Centre for Craniofacial Deformities and Orbital Surgery, Ferrara, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 21:222-4. 2010..Possible sensitivity disorders are paresthesia, anesthesia, hypoaesthesia, dysesthesia, and hyperesthesia.The innovation introduced by the first author in 2007 consists of a mini ostectomy around the infraorbital ..
- Benign symmetric lipomatosis (Launois-Bensaude syndrome)José Fernández-Vozmediano
Dermatology Service, Puerto Real University Hospital, University of Cadiz, Spain
Int J Dermatol 44:236-7. 2005..2). The lesions produced a pulling sensation and were associated with paresthesia, hyperesthesia, and a moderate loss of strength in both arms...
- Feline leukemia virus-associated myelopathy in catsK P Carmichael
Department of Veterinary Pathology, University of Georgia, Athens, USA
Vet Pathol 39:536-45. 2002..Clinical signs consisted of abnormal vocalization, hyperesthesia, and paresis progressing to paralysis...
- Labial dystonia after facial and trigeminal neuropathy controlled with a maxillary splintManuel de Entrambasaguas
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Hospital General de Castellon, Castellon, Spain
Mov Disord 22:1355-8. 2007..bite (Loxosceles rufescens) on the left cheek that caused severe local cellulitis, facial palsy, and painful hyperesthesia over the two lower trigeminal nerve divisions...
- [Reflex sympathetic dystrophy: a case report]M Kimura
Department of Pediatrics, National Nishitottori Hospital, Tottori
No To Hattatsu 27:487-91. 1995We described an 11-year-old boy with reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD). He presented symptoms of allodynia and hyperesthesia in the right foot with pale color and coldness. Before the onset he had abdominal pain and a change of taste...
- Recovery of corneal sensitivity to mechanical and chemical stimulation after laser in situ keratomileusisJuana Gallar
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, Universidad Miguel Hernandez CSIC, Campus de San Juan, San Juan de Alicante, Spain
J Refract Surg 20:229-35. 2004..To evaluate the time course of changes in corneal sensitivity to mechanical and chemical stimuli produced by laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) in humans...
- [Anesthesia in a patient with congenital insensitivity to pain and anhidrosis]Carlos Rogério Degrandi Oliveira
CET, Santa Casa, Santos
Rev Bras Anestesiol 59:602-9. 2009....
- Diagnostic criteria for CRPS I: differences between patient profiles using three different diagnostic setsRoberto S G M Perez
Department of Anesthesiology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Pain 11:895-902. 2007..001), increase of symptoms due to exercise (p=0.009), edema (p=0.015), temperature asymmetry (p=0.015), hyperesthesia, allodynia (both p<0.001) and hyperalgesia (p=0.036)...
- Electrophysiologic evaluation of intermittent sacral nerve dysfunction in lumbar spinal canal stenosisY Hiraizumi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:1355-60. 1993..sacral nerve dysfunction, induced by walking in lumbar spinal canal stenosis, may cause symptoms including hyperesthesia and pain in perineum, urinary bladder incontinence, and penile erection...
- [Small fibre neuropathy: Diagnostic approach and therapeutic issues, and its association with primary Sjögren's syndrome]D Sene
Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, AP HP, Universite Paris 6, 75013 Paris, France
Rev Med Interne 31:677-84. 2010..presence of diffuse neuropathic painful manifestations (burning sensation, paresthesia, pricking, allodynia or hyperesthesia) and neurovegetative signs. The neurological examination and the electroneuromyogram are usually normal...
- Presumptive hepatotoxicity and rhabdomyolysis secondary to phenazopyridine toxicity in a dogMelissa L Holahan
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, D208 Veterinary Medical Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1314, USA
J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 20:352-8. 2010..To describe a rare, but potential clinical manifestation of phenazopyridine (PAP) toxicity in a dog...
- A nonsense mutation in the alpha1 subunit of the inhibitory glycine receptor associated with bovine myoclonusK D Pierce
Neurobiology Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, New South Wales, 2010, Australia
Mol Cell Neurosci 17:354-63. 2001Inherited congenital myoclonus of Poll Hereford calves is an autosomal recessive disease characterized by hyperesthesia and myoclonic jerks of the skeletal musculature that occur both spontaneously and in response to sensory stimuli...
- Alcohol neurolysis for persistent pain caused by superior cluneal nerves injury after iliac crest bone graft harvesting in orthopedic surgery: report of four cases and review of the literatureAhmet Mahli
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Gazi University Medical Faculty, Ankara, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:E478-81. 2002..common complication associated with this procedure is an alteration in sensation over the donor site manifested as chronic pain, hyperesthesia, dysesthesia, or diminished sensitivity resulting from superior cluneal nerve (SCN) injury.
- Suspected tolazoline toxicosis in a llamaM R Read
Department of Veterinary Anesthesiology, Radiology, and Surgery, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
J Am Vet Med Assoc 216:227-9, 194. 2000..v., half i.m. 45 minutes later, because the llama became weak and recumbent. Signs of anxiety, hyperesthesia, profuse salivation, and tachypnea were the first detectable clinical signs of tolazoline toxicosis...
- Electrophysiologic evidence of polyneuropathy in a cat with signs of bilateral brachial plexus neuropathyPaul M Freeman
Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Madingley Rd, Cambridge, CB3 0ES, England
J Am Vet Med Assoc 234:240-4. 2009..A 2-year-old spayed female domestic shorthair cat was examined because of bilateral thoracic limb weakness of acute onset...
- Littler's flap revisited: an anatomic study, literature review, and clinical experience in the reconstruction of large thumb-pulp defectsKonstantinos C Xarchas
Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
Med Sci Monit 14:CR568-573. 2008..An anatomic study and the authors' clinical experience with 15 flaps used for resurfacing sizable thumb defects are presented...
- Traumatic neuroma of the inferior alveolar nerve: a case reportIgnacio Arribas-García
Servicio de Cirugia Oral y Maxilofacial, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Av Cordoba s n 28041, Madrid, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 13:E186-8. 2008..A 56-year-old man consulted for paresthesias and hyperesthesia in the left mandibular region following extraction of the left mandibular third molar (#38)...
- [Two cases of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis with lesions in the thalamus or basal ganglia on MRI]A Okumura
Department of Pediatrics, Nagoya University School of Medicine
No To Hattatsu 24:278-82. 1992..Case 1, a 4-year-old boy, had gait disturbance, hyperesthesia and hyperreflexia...
- Sarcocystis neurona encephalitis in a dogA J Cooley
College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS, USA
Vet Pathol 44:956-61. 2007..and resulted in a favorable initial response, but posterior paresis returned and progressed to recumbency, hyperesthesia, and attempts to bite the owner. The dog was euthanized...
- [A case of Churg-Strauss syndrome following corticosteroid withdrawal]Kishiko Sunami
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka City University, Osaka
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 112:487-90. 2009..He then developed fever, maniphalanx stiffness, testicular pain, and facial hyperesthesia, eruptions, and the lower-limb numbness...
- Complex regional pain syndrome type II associated with lumbosacral plexopathy: a case reportAndrew C Gallo
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC 20307, USA
Pain Med 11:1834-6. 2010..CRPS Type II is most commonly caused by high velocity missile injuries, mononeuropathies, and partial nerve transections...
- Diagnosing sensory abnormalities with either normal values or values from contralateral skin: comparison of two approaches in complex regional pain syndrome IM A Kemler
Department of Surgery, Maastricht University Hospital, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Anesthesiology 93:718-27. 2000..The current study gives normal values for both approaches and compares the advantages of each method by applying the technique to patients with complex regional pain syndrome type I (CRPS I)...
- Brown-Sequard syndrome associated with Horner's syndrome following a penetrating drill bit injury to the cervical spineJeremy H Russell
Department of Neurosurgery, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 16:975-7. 2009..was not a complete hemisection of the spinal cord, the patient presented with ipsilateral motor deficit and hyperesthesia and diminished contralateral fine touch sensation; however, proprioception, vibration and temperature were all ..
- Syringomyelia in three small breed dogs secondary to Chiari-like malformation: clinical and diagnostic findingsChul Park
Department of Medicine and Epidemiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Vet Sci 10:365-7. 2009..Upon physical and neurologic examination, all dogs displayed hyperesthesia, pain, and neck stiffness...
- Chronic ischemic monomelic neuropathy from critical limb ischemiaD H Weinberg
Department of Neurology, Tufts University School of Medicine, St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Boston, MA 02135, USA
Neurology 57:1008-12. 2001..To describe the peripheral neuropathy resulting from chronic and critical arterial leg ischemia...
- Results of operative treatment of double Morton's neuroma in the same footKyung Tai Lee
Foot and Ankle Service, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Eulji Hospital, Eulji University, College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Orthop Sci 14:574-8. 2009..Double Morton's neuroma in one foot has rarely been reported in the literature...
- Frey's syndrome after condylar fracture: case reportCassio Edvard Sverzut
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Braz Dent J 15:159-62. 2004Frey's syndrome is the occurrence of hyperesthesia, flushing and warmth or sweating over the distribution of the auriculotemporal nerve and/or greater auricular nerve while eating foods that produce a strong salivary stimulus...
- Primary subtalar arthrodesis of calcaneal fracturesT Huefner
Trauma Department, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Foot Ankle Int 22:9-14. 2001..In one patient with a painful arthritis in the talonavicular joint and hyperesthesia of the sural nerve, the results were fair...
- Management of dentinal hypersensitivityAlessandra Helen Magacho Vieira
Department of Clinical Dentistry, Federal University of Ceara, Brazil
Gen Dent 57:120-6; quiz 127-8. 2009..of how applying a stimulus to the exposed dentin surface can influence the nerve fibers and produce hyperesthesia. This article reviews the etiology and critically analyzes management of dentinal hypersensitivity by ..
- Complex regional pain syndrome type 1 and scurvyRavindra Kumar
Department of Pediatrics, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
Indian Pediatr 46:529-31. 2009..Gum bleeding, petechiae and pseudoparalysis and suggestive radiograph characterized scurvy. Hyperesthesia improved and child walked with support following administration of vitamin C.
- Changes of sleep patterns in rats with chronic constriction injury under aversive conditionsShin Tokunaga
Department of Medicinal Pharmacology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 1 1 1 Tsushima naka, Okayama, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 30:2088-90. 2007..In addition, it was found that CCI rats placed on sandpaper as an aversive condition can serve as a new sleep disturbance model...
- Improved identification of allodynic migraine patients using a questionnaireA Ashkenazi
Department of Neurology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Jefferson Headache Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cephalalgia 27:325-9. 2007....
- Pure epidural cavernous hemangioma of the cervical spine that presented with an acute sensory deficit caused by hemorrhageByung June Jo
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Woordul Spine Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Yonsei Med J 47:877-80. 2006..Here, we report a case of a pure epidural cavernous hemangioma that presented with acute neurologic symptoms caused by intralesional hemorrhage and an acute epidural hematoma, which were demonstrated on the patient's MRI...
- The clinical challenge of chronic neuropathic painK C P Vissers
Department of Anaesthesiology, Critical Care and Multidisciplinary Pain Centre, Genk, Belgium
Disabil Rehabil 28:343-9. 2006..A correct management of chronic neuropathic pain requires a thorough understanding of the potential causes, the diagnosis and the pathophysiological mechanisms...
- Diagnostic criteria and follow-up parameters in complex regional pain syndrome type I--a Delphi surveyFlorian Brunner
Department of Physical Medicine and Rheumatology, Balgrist University Hospital, Forchstrasse 340, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Pain 12:48-52. 2008..Although the current clinical guideline of diagnostic criteria for the complex regional pain syndrome I (CRPS I) is a landmark endeavour to define this complex condition it does not prioritise its most important clinical manifestations...
- Involvement of spinal glia in tetanically sciatic stimulation-induced bilateral mechanical allodynia in ratsBo Ying
Institute of Neurobiology, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 340:1264-72. 2006..The results showed that spinal glia plays an important role in bilaterally mechanical allodynia by tetanic sciatic stimulation of the sciatic nerve...
- 1,6-Disubstituted indole derivatives as selective human neuronal nitric oxide synthase inhibitorsShawn Maddaford
NeurAxon Inc, 2395 Speakman Drive, Suite 1001, Mississauga, ON, Canada L5K 1B3
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 21:5234-8. 2011..One of the compounds, (R)-8 was shown to reduce tactile hyperesthesia (allodynia) after oral administration (30 mg/kg) in an in vivo rat model of dural inflammation relevant to ..
- [Neurinoma arising from brachial plexus with intrathoracic extension resected through the second intercostal space]Yuka Kitamura
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Aichi Cancer Center Aichi Hospital, Okazaki, Japan
Kyobu Geka 63:1133-5. 2010..He had a complaint of hyperesthesia of the right upper arm for 2 months postoperatively.
- Age-dependency of analgesia elicited by intraoral sucrose in acute and persistent pain modelsVanessa C Z Anseloni
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Program in Neuroscience, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Pain 97:93-103. 2002..In inflamed animals, sucrose reduced hyperesthesia and hyperalgesia assessed with mechanical stimuli...
- Restless genital syndrome before and after clitoridectomy for spontaneous orgasms: a case reportMarcel D Waldinger
Department of Psychiatry and Neurosexology, HagaHospital Leyenburg, 2545 CH The Hague, The Netherlands
J Sex Med 7:1029-34. 2010..Females despairing of restless genital syndrome (ReGS) may request clitoridectomy for treatment of unwanted genital sensations. Aim. The aim of this study was to report persistence of ReGS despite clitoridectomy...
- Small B-cell lymphoma presenting as diffuse dural thickening with cranial neuropathiesMiguel Estevez
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Neurooncol 59:243-7. 2002..Rapid expansion of the dura in this case resulted in profound hyperesthesia of the scalp, progressive blindness, deafness, and ataxia...
- Disease modifying and anti-nociceptive effects of the bisphosphonate, zoledronic acid in a model of bone cancer painKatharine Walker
Purdue Biopharma LP, 201 College Road East, Princeton, NJ 08540, USA
Pain 100:219-29. 2002..This unique property of zoledronic acid amongst the bisphosphonate class of compounds could make this drug a preferred choice for the treatment of painful bone metastases in the clinic...
- Acute carpal tunnel syndrome from burns of the hand and wristChenicheri Balakrishnan
Department of Plastic Surgery, Wayne State School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Can J Plast Surg 17:e33-4. 2009..Although the hyperesthesia from burns may mimic symptoms of acute compression neuropathy, clinical diagnosis should be made from history, ..
- Supraspinal Modulation of Neuropathic PainBradley Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- DRG EXCITABILITY AND POTASSIUM CHANNEL INHIBITORBrian Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2000..Regardless of the nature of predisposing events, individuals often report spontaneous burning pain and hyperesthesia. Animal models have indicated that peripheral nerve injuries produces changes in cellular activity and ..
- Problems and Competence under Age5: School TransitionAlice Carter; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- NEUROPEPTIDERGIC INHIBITION OF SPINAL PAIN TRANSMISSIONBradley Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2008..We predict that the activity of this population of spinal neurons will be decreased by NPY administration, and increased by NPY knockdown. ..
- Oxidative Stress and Nerve Pathology in DiabetesAndrew Mizisin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Individual Differences in Pain Modulation as Predictors of Post-Surgical PainRobert Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Glutamate Uptake & the Pathogenesis of Neuropathic PainJianren Mao; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Neuropathic Pain Modulation by CannabinoidsJianren Mao; Fiscal Year: 2006..A better understanding of cannabinoid actions in neuropathic pain states could open a new avenue to developing novel pharmacological tools for the improved management of often intractable and debilitating neuropathic pain syndromes. ..
- Cellular Mechanisms of Hyperalgesia and Opioid ToleranceJianren Mao; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PAIN, OPIOID ANALGESIA AND BLOOD PRESSURE CONTROLBradley Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of these studies will facilitate our understanding of the mechanisms that contribute to chronic pain in the hypertensive patient. ..
- OPIOID-INDUCED PAIN SENSITIVITY: CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS AND MANAGEMENTJianren Mao; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Catastrophizing and Pain in Rheumatoid ArthritisRobert Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..