Genomes and Genes
Summary: Pain during the period after surgery.
Publications329 found, 100 shown here
- Postoperative pain experience: results from a national survey suggest postoperative pain continues to be undermanagedJeffrey L Apfelbaum
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, The University Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Anesth Analg 97:534-40, table of contents. 2003b>Postoperative pain can have a significant effect on patient recovery. An understanding of patient attitudes and concerns about postoperative pain is important for identifying ways health care professionals can improve postoperative care...
- Persistent postsurgical pain: risk factors and preventionHenrik Kehlet
Section of Surgical Pathophysiology 4074, Juliane Marie Centre, Rigshospitalet, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Lancet 367:1618-25. 2006Acute postoperative pain is followed by persistent pain in 10-50% of individuals after common operations, such as groin hernia repair, breast and thoracic surgery, leg amputation, and coronary artery bypass surgery...
- Preoperative prediction of severe postoperative painC J Kalkman
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Perioperative Care and Emergency Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pain 105:415-23. 2003..The outcome was the presence of severe postoperative pain (defined as Numeric Rating Scale > or =8) within the first hour postoperatively...
- Chronic pain following total hip arthroplasty: a nationwide questionnaire studyL Nikolajsen
Department of Anesthesiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:495-500. 2006..Severe pre-operative pain is the primary indication for total hip arthroplasty (THA). Therefore, we examined the prevalence of chronic pain after THA in relation to pre-operative pain and early post-operative pain...
- The effect of age on pain, function, and quality of life after total hip and knee arthroplastyC A Jones
Department of Public Health Sciences, PT, Room 2137, Dentistry Pharmacy Bldg, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2N8
Arch Intern Med 161:454-60. 2001....
- Interpretation of visual analog scale ratings and change scores: a reanalysis of two clinical trials of postoperative painMark P Jensen
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, School of Medicine, and Multidisciplinary Pain Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 6490, USA
J Pain 4:407-14. 2003..To address these questions, we performed a reanalysis of data from 2 randomized controlled trials of postoperative pain (N = 123 and N = 125) to determine the meaning of VAS pain intensity ratings and change scores...
- Prediction of postoperative pain: a systematic review of predictive experimental pain studiesMads U Werner
Multidisciplinary Pain Center, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospitals, Copenhagen, Denmark
Anesthesiology 112:1494-502. 2010..have investigated the correlation between preoperative responses to experimental pain stimuli and clinical postoperative pain and demonstrates that the preoperative pain tests may predict 4-54% of the variance in postoperative pain ..
- Human opioid receptor A118G polymorphism affects intravenous patient-controlled analgesia morphine consumption after total abdominal hysterectomyWen Ying Chou
Department of Anesthesiology, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Anesthesiology 105:334-7. 2006..The purpose of the current study was to investigate whether this polymorphism contributes to the variability of morphine efficacy in women who undergo abdominal total hysterectomy...
- Local infiltration analgesia: a technique for the control of acute postoperative pain following knee and hip surgery: a case study of 325 patientsDennis R Kerr
Joint Orthopaedic Centre, New South Wales, Australia
Acta Orthop 79:174-83. 2008..The technique allows virtually immediate mobilization and earlier discharge from hospital...
- The effect of pulpotomy using a calcium-enriched mixture cement versus one-visit root canal therapy on postoperative pain relief in irreversible pulpitis: a randomized clinical trialSaeed Asgary
Iranian Center for Endodontic Research, Dental Research Center, Dental School, Shahid Beheshti Medical University, Evin, Tehran, 1983963113, Iran
Odontology 98:126-33. 2010The purpose of this noninferiority trial was to compare postoperative pain relief after one-visit root canal therapy (ORCT) with a pulpotomy performed with a new endodontic calcium-enriched mixture cement (PCEM) in human permanent molars ..
- Preoperative anxiolytic effect of melatonin and clonidine on postoperative pain and morphine consumption in patients undergoing abdominal hysterectomy: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled studyWolnei Caumo
Anesthesia Service and Perioperative Medicine, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Pain 10:100-8. 2009..Taking into account that higher anxiety makes the control of postoperative pain more difficult, one can hypothesize that melatonin anxiolytic and analgesic effects improve the control of ..
- Spinal NK-1 receptor-expressing neurons and descending pathways support fentanyl-induced pain hypersensitivity in a rat model of postoperative painCyril Rivat
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Eur J Neurosci 29:727-37. 2009....
- Correlation of postoperative pain to quality of recovery in the immediate postoperative periodChristopher L Wu
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, 600 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 30:516-22. 2005It is unclear whether the severity of postoperative pain may affect patients' quality of recovery in the immediate postoperative period (within 2 weeks of surgery).
- Prevalence and predictors of postoperative pain after ear, nose, and throat surgeryMichael Sommer
University Hospital Maastricht, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Treatment, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:124-30. 2009To determine postoperative pain in different types of ear, nose, and throat (ENT) surgery and their psychological preoperative predictors.
- Relationships between surgical difficulty and postoperative pain in lower third molar extractionsLucía Lago-Méndez
Postgraduate Student, Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine Unit, School of Dentistry, University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:979-83. 2007To investigate the influence of surgical difficulty on postoperative pain after extraction of mandibular third molars.
- Monoamine-dependent, opioid-independent antihypersensitivity effects of intrathecally administered milnacipran, a serotonin noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor, in a postoperative pain model in ratsHideaki Obata
Department of Anesthesiology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 22 Showa, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 334:1059-65. 2010..effects of milnacipran, a 5-HT and NA reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), in the spinal cord in a rat model of postoperative pain. Sprague-Dawley rats were used in all experiments...
- The role of catastrophizing in the prediction of postoperative painMarianna Papaioannou
Department of Anesthesiology, General Hospital of Nikaia, Athens, Greece
Pain Med 10:1452-9. 2009..The present study aimed at investigating the relationship between catastrophizing and postoperative pain outcomes (pain intensity and analgesia use) in patients undergoing elective instrumented lumbar fusion ..
- The prevalence of postoperative pain in a sample of 1490 surgical inpatientsM Sommer
University Hospital Maastricht, Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Treatment, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:267-74. 2008To measure the prevalence of postoperative pain, an assessment was made of 1490 surgical inpatients who were receiving postoperative pain treatment according to an acute pain protocol.
- Preoperative anxiety, postoperative pain, and behavioral recovery in young children undergoing surgeryZeev N Kain
Center for the Advancement of Perioperative Health, Department of Anesthesiology, Yale University School of Medicine, PO Box 208051, 333 Cedar St, New Haven, Connecticut 06521, USA
Pediatrics 118:651-8. 2006..To date, no similar investigation has ever been conducted in young children...
- Analysis of individual patient data from clinical trials: epidural morphine for postoperative painR J Ni Mhuircheartaigh
Pain Research and Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Level 6 West Wing, Oxford, UK
Br J Anaesth 103:874-81. 2009..Individual patient information from clinical trials is infrequently available, but can provide insights for clinical trials and practice...
- Can we predict persistent postoperative pain by testing preoperative experimental pain?Michal Granot
University of Haifa, Mount Carmel, Haifa 31905, Israel
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 22:425-30. 2009Although it is recognized that medical and surgical procedures may lead to persistent postoperative pain, predicting which patients are at risk for developing chronic pain presents an ongoing challenge...
- The perioperative validity of the visual analog anxiety scale in children: a discriminant and useful instrument in routine clinical practice to optimize postoperative pain managementSophie Bringuier
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Lapeyronie University Hospital, Montpellier, France
Anesth Analg 109:737-44. 2009..In this study, we evaluated psychometric properties of the visual analog scale (VAS)-anxiety for children and to study its perioperative relevance in clinical practice...
- Early failure of metal-on-metal bearings in hip resurfacing and large-diameter total hip replacement: A consequence of excess wearD J Langton
North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Trust, Stockton on Tees and Centre for Rehabilitation, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, England
J Bone Joint Surg Br 92:38-46. 2010..Surgeons must consider implant design, expected component size and acetabular component positioning in order to reduce early failures when performing large-bearing metal-on-metal hip resurfacing and replacement...
- Preemptive use of gabapentin significantly decreases postoperative pain and rescue analgesic requirements in laparoscopic cholecystectomyChandra Kant Pandey
Department of Anaesthesiology and Biostatistics, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Can J Anaesth 51:358-63. 2004To evaluate the comparative preemptive effects of gabapentin and tramadol on postoperative pain and fentanyl requirement in laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- High-dose local infiltration analgesia after hip and knee replacement--what is it, why does it work, and what are the future challenges?Tord Röstlund
Acta Orthop 78:159-61. 2007
- Gabapentin and postoperative pain--a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsKok Yuen Ho
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3094, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Pain 126:91-101. 2006..evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of perioperative gabapentin administration for the control of acute postoperative pain. We searched Medline (1966-2006), the Cochrane Library (2006), Scopus, CINAHL and bibliographies from ..
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of preoperative oral pregabalin for postoperative pain relief after minor gynecological surgeryMichael J Paech
Pharmacology and Anaesthesiology Unit, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, The University of Western Australia, Australia
Anesth Analg 105:1449-53, table of contents. 2007..The null hypothesis was that there was no significant difference in pain relief between pregabalin and placebo...
- Age, gender, obesity, and depression are associated with patient-related pain and function outcome after revision total hip arthroplastyJasvinder A Singh
Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Clin Rheumatol 28:1419-30. 2009..7 (1.1, 2.7). Obesity and depression, considered modifiable clinical factors, were important independent predictors of pain, functional limitation and use of pain medications, following revision THA...
- Effectiveness of acute postoperative pain management: I. Evidence from published dataS J Dolin
Pain Clinic, St Richard s Hospital, Chichester PO19 4E, UK
Br J Anaesth 89:409-23. 2002..m.) analgesia, patient controlled analgesia (PCA), and epidural analgesia...
- Functional recovery after open versus laparoscopic colonic resection: a randomized, blinded studyLinda Basse
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Hvidovre, Kettegaard Alle 30, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Ann Surg 241:416-23. 2005..Since no comparative data between laparoscopic and open colonic resection with multimodal rehabilitation are available, the value of laparoscopy per se is unknown...
- Postoperative pain following coblation tonsillectomy: randomized clinical trialNastasha Polites
Department of Otolaryngology, Flinders Medical Centre and Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
ANZ J Surg 76:226-9. 2006Tonsillectomy is one of the commonest surgical procedures, with postoperative pain being an important source of morbidity...
- Pain and depression influence outcome 5 years after knee replacement surgeryVictoria Brander
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern Orthopedic Institute, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 464:21-6. 2007..Expansion of this tool to include measures sensitive to psychologic and other health factors should be considered...
- Postoperative pain management following caesarean section in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH), Ilorin, NigeriaI K Kolawole
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital UITH, Ilorin, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 22:305-9. 2003..To assess the common methods of analgesia used in our hospital following caesarean section, their effectiveness and patient satisfaction...
- Postoperative pain and convalescence in living kidney donors-laparoscopic versus open donor nephrectomy: a randomized studyM H Andersen
Department of Surgery, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet University, Norway
Am J Transplant 6:1438-43. 2006The aim of the present study was to compare postoperative pain and convalescence in patients randomized to laparoscopic or open donor surgery in a prospective, controlled trial...
- Perioperative intravenous lidocaine has preventive effects on postoperative pain and morphine consumption after major abdominal surgeryWolfgang Koppert
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Anesth Analg 98:1050-5, table of contents. 2004..Lidocaine blood concentrations were measured. Postoperative pain ratings (numeric rating scale of 0-10) and morphine consumption (patient-controlled analgesia) were assessed ..
- Pulmonary function, postoperative pain, and serum cytokine level after lobectomy: a comparison of VATS and conventional procedureI Nagahiro
Department of Surgery II, Okayama University Medical School, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 72:362-5. 2001..Although lobectomy by the video-assisted thoracic surgical (VATS) approach is assumed to be less invasive than lobectomy by the standard posterolateral thoracotomy (PLT) approach, it has not been scientifically proven...
- Reduced hospital stay, morphine consumption, and pain intensity with local infiltration analgesia after unicompartmental knee arthroplastyPer Essving
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Orthop 80:213-9. 2009The degree of postoperative pain is usually moderate to severe following knee arthroplasty. We investigated the efficacy of local administration of analgesics into the operating area, both intraoperatively and postoperatively.
- Pseudotumours associated with metal-on-metal hip resurfacingsH Pandit
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, England
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:847-51. 2008..We are concerned that with time the incidence of these pseudotumours may increase. Further investigation is required to define their cause...
- Efficacy of continuous wound catheters delivering local anesthetic for postoperative analgesia: a quantitative and qualitative systematic review of randomized controlled trialsSpencer S Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital for Special Surgery and the Weill College of Medicine of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Am Coll Surg 203:914-32. 2006
- The John Insall Award: gender-specific total knee replacement: prospectively collected clinical outcomesSteven J MacDonald
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Western Ontario and London Health Sciences Centre, University Campus, London, ON, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:2612-6. 2008..The data refute the hypothesis of inferior clinical outcome for women following total knee arthroplasty when using standard components...
- Effectiveness of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation on postoperative pain with movementBarbara Rakel
Department of Nursing Services and Patient Care, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Pain 4:455-64. 2003..The lack of effect on pain at rest supports the hypothesis that TENS works through reducing hyperalgesia...
- Postoperative analgesia in total hip arthroplasty: a randomized double-blinded, placebo-controlled study on peroperative and postoperative ropivacaine, ketorolac, and adrenaline wound infiltrationLasse Juel Andersen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Odense University Hospital, Middelfart, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:187-92. 2007..Comfort and lack of pain are important for optimal mobilization after hip replacement. We investigated the efficacy of double wound infiltration...
- Remifentanil-induced postoperative hyperalgesia and its prevention with small-dose ketamineVincent Joly
Department of Anesthesia, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM E 332, Hopital Ambroise Pare, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Anesthesiology 103:147-55. 2005....
- Ketamine and postoperative pain--a quantitative systematic review of randomised trialsNadia Elia
EBCAP Institute Evidence Based Critical care, Anaesthesia and Pain treatment, Division of Anaesthesiology, Geneva University Hospitals, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Pain 113:61-70. 2005..Benefits and risks of ketamine for the control of postoperative pain are not well understood...
- The efficacy of preemptive analgesia for acute postoperative pain management: a meta-analysisCliff K S Ong
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore
Anesth Analg 100:757-73, table of contents. 2005Whether preemptive analgesic interventions are more effective than conventional regimens in managing acute postoperative pain remains controversial...
- Acute and nonacute complications associated with interscalene block and shoulder surgery: a prospective studyA Borgeat
Department of Anesthesiology, Orthopedic University Clinic Zurich Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 95:875-80. 2001..The incidence, etiology, and evolution of complications after interscalene brachial plexus block (ISB) are not well-known. The authors prospectively monitored 521 patients for complications during the first 9 months after ISB...
- Predictors of patient relevant outcome after total hip replacement for osteoarthritis: a prospective studyA K Nilsdotter
Department of Orthopaedics, Lund University Hospital, Spenshult Hospital of Rheumatic Diseases, Halmstad, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 62:923-30. 2003..To investigate prospectively long term patient relevant outcomes after unilateral total hip replacement (THR) for osteoarthritis (OA). To identify non-responders to this intervention and patient related predictors of unsatisfactory outcome...
- A multimodal analgesia protocol for total knee arthroplasty. A randomized, controlled studyPascal André Vendittoli
Orthopaedic Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, 5345 Boul L Assomption, Suite 55, Montreal, Quebec H1T 4B3, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:282-9. 2006..to improve pain control after total knee arthroplasty, parenteral narcotics still play a major role in postoperative pain management...
- Pharmacokinetics and efficacy of ropivacaine continuous wound instillation after joint replacement surgeryM Bianconi
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, St Anna Hospital Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Br J Anaesth 91:830-5. 2003....
- The risk of severe postoperative pain: modification and validation of a clinical prediction ruleKristel J M Janssen
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, Department of Anesthesiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Anesth Analg 107:1330-9. 2008..Subsequently, we prospectively tested the modified rule in patients who underwent surgery later in time and in another hospital (external validation)...
- Early postoperative pain management after thoracic surgery; pre- and postoperative versus postoperative epidural analgesia: a randomised studyArif Yegin
Department of Anaesthesiology, Akdeniz University Medical Faculty, Antalya, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 24:420-4. 2003..In this study, we assessed preoperative and postoperative thoracic epidural analgesia (Preop-TEA and Postop-TEA) techniques on post-thoracotomy pain in 61 patients undergoing posterolateral thoracotomy...
- The exploration of the establishment of cutpoints to categorize the severity of acute postoperative painAlfhild Dihle
Faculty of Nursing, Oslo University College, Oslo, Norway
Clin J Pain 22:617-24. 2006..for a variety of chronic pain conditions, only one study by Mendoza and colleagues reported on CPs for acute postoperative pain that were derived using ratings of worst pain...
- Predictive factors of postoperative pain after day-case surgeryHans Fritz Gramke
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Therapy, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Clin J Pain 25:455-60. 2009Despite the growing number of ambulatory operations knowledge of predictive factors of postoperative pain after ambulatory surgery is limited...
- Review of the use of gabapentin in the control of postoperative painJefferson Clivatti
Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo
Rev Bras Anestesiol 59:87-98. 2009Gabapentin has been used as adjuvant in the treatment of postoperative pain with a neuropathic component. It is responsible for the inhibition of central sensitization, decreasing postoperative pain.
- Neuropathic pain following breast cancer surgery: proposed classification and research updateBeth F Jung
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 604, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Pain 104:1-13. 2003
- Risk factors for chronic pain after hysterectomy: a nationwide questionnaire and database studyBirgitte Brandsborg
Danish Pain Research Center, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Anesthesiology 106:1003-12. 2007..This nationwide questionnaire and database study describes pain and identifies risk factors for chronic postsurgical pain 1 yr after hysterectomy for benign indications...
- The relationship of intracanal medicaments to postoperative pain in endodonticsE H Ehrmann
School of Dental Science, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, The University of Melbourne, 711 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia
Int Endod J 36:868-75. 2003To investigate the relationship of postoperative pain to three different medicaments placed in the root canal after a complete biomechanical debridement of the root canal system in patients presenting for emergency relief of pain.
- The impact of preoperative information on state anxiety, postoperative pain and satisfaction with pain managementMats Sjöling
Department of Nursing and Health Sciences, Mid Sweden University, Sundsvall, Sweden
Patient Educ Couns 51:169-76. 2003..The postoperative pain declined more rapidly for patients in the treatment group, the degree of preoperative state anxiety was ..
- High and low frequency TENS reduce postoperative pain intensity after laparoscopic tubal ligation: a randomized controlled trialJosimari M Desantana
Graduate Program in Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Clin J Pain 25:12-9. 2009Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is an effective adjunctive therapy for postoperative pain; however, effects of different frequencies of stimulation have not been systematically investigated...
- A mouse model of incisional painEsther M Pogatzki
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Anesthesiology 99:1023-7. 2003
- Mandibular third molar removal: risk indicators for extended operation time, postoperative pain, and complicationsIngibjörg S Benediktsdóttir
Faculty of Odontology, University of Iceland, Reykjavik
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 97:438-46. 2004..The aim of this study was to identify risk indicators for extended operation time and postoperative complications after removal of mandibular third molars...
- Application of a locally placed anesthesia catheter for reduction of postoperative pain after mastectomy for breast cancerVolker R Jacobs
Department of Surgery, Fayette Medical Center FMC, Fayette, AL, USA
Int J Fertil Womens Med 51:225-9. 2006b>Postoperative pain management is important, especially in cancer patients...
- Physical and psychological morbidity after axillary lymph node dissection for breast cancerT F Hack
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
J Clin Oncol 17:143-9. 1999..Although potential negative side effects associated with ALND are known, we set out to examine whether these side effects contribute significantly to patient reports of quality of life and mental health...
- Preoperative emotional states in patients with breast cancer and postoperative painG Ozalp
Department of Anesthesiology, Ankara Oncology Hospital, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 47:26-9. 2003..The present study examined the relationship between psychological variables, including anxiety, depression, and patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) use in patients who underwent radical mastectomy...
- Postoperative pain assessment with three intensity scales in Chinese eldersLi Li
Department of Nursing, Zhujiang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
J Nurs Scholarsh 41:241-9. 2009..To evaluate the reliability and validity of the Faces Pain Scale Revised (FPS-R), the Numeric Rating Scale (NRS), and the Iowa Pain Thermometer (IPT) for pain assessment in Chinese elders who have had surgery...
- Using the American Pain Society's patient outcome questionnaire to evaluate the quality of postoperative pain management in a sample of Norwegian patientsAlfhild Dihle
Faculty of Nursing, Oslo University College, Oslo, Norway
J Pain 7:272-80. 2006..with function, and in the doses of analgesics administered; to describe patients' level of satisfaction with postoperative pain management; and to determine the relationships between pain severity and patient outcomes...
- Predictors of acute postoperative pain after elective surgeryMichael Sommer
Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Treatment, University Hospital Maastricht, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Clin J Pain 26:87-94. 2010Objectives:Despite efforts to improve acute postoperative pain management, a substantial number of patients still experience moderate to severe pain during the immediate postoperative days...
- Efficacy and safety of patient-controlled opioid analgesia for acute postoperative pain. A quantitative systematic reviewB Walder
Division of Surgical Intensive Care, Department APSIC, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 45:795-804. 2001..The usefulness of intravenous patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) with opioids for postoperative analgesia is not well defined...
- Predictors of postoperative pain and analgesic consumption: a qualitative systematic reviewHui Yun Vivian Ip
Department of Anesthesiology, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anesthesiology 111:657-77. 2009..Effective control of postoperative pain is important after anesthesia and surgery...
- Systemic postoperative pain management following minimally invasive pectus excavatum repair in children and adolescents: a retrospective comparison of intravenous patient-controlled analgesia and continuous infusion with morphineDanguole Ceslava Rugyte
Department of Anesthesiology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Kaunas, Lithuania
Pediatr Surg Int 26:665-9. 2010Optimal postoperative pain management following minimally invasive surgical repair of pectus excavatum is not established...
- Postoperative pain intensity assessment: a comparison of four scales in Chinese adultsLi Li
Department of Nursing, Zhujiang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China
Pain Med 8:223-34. 2007..To determine the psychometric properties and applicability of four pain scales in Chinese postoperative adults...
- Control of acute postoperative pain by transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation after open cardiac operations: a randomized placebo-controlled prospective studyMustafa Emmiler
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Afyon Kocatepe University, School of Medicine, Afyon, Turkey
Heart Surg Forum 11:E300-3. 2008..We investigated the effectiveness of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy on pain during the first 24 hours after a cardiac surgical procedure...
- The effect of addition of intrathecal clonidine to hyperbaric bupivacaine on postoperative pain and morphine requirements after Caesarean section: a randomized controlled trialI van Tuijl
Department of Anesthesiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Anaesth 97:365-70. 2006..We investigated the effect of the addition of clonidine (75 microg) to hyperbaric bupivacaine on postoperative morphine consumption after Caesarean section in a randomized controlled double-blind trial...
- Environmental and genetic factors associated with morphine response in the postoperative periodLaurent Coulbault
Pharmacology Department, Saint Antoine University of Medicine, University Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Clin Pharmacol Ther 79:316-24. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the respective influence of genetic and nongenetic factors on morphine dose requirements and adverse effects after colorectal surgery...
- Perioperative small-dose S(+)-ketamine has no incremental beneficial effects on postoperative pain when standard-practice opioid infusions are usedWolfgang Jaksch
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Experimental Anesthesiology and Research in Intensive Care Medicine, Wilhelminenspital, Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 94:981-6, table of contents. 2002..In our study, S(+)-ketamine did not contribute to postoperative pain reduction, possibly because of the clinically routine perioperative opioid analgesia.
- Comparison of visual analogue scale and faces rating scale in measuring acute postoperative painLida Fadaizadeh
National Research Institute of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Masih Daneshvari Hospital, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Arch Iran Med 12:73-5. 2009..Visual analogue scale and faces rating scale are two pain assessment tools that can be used interchangeably for evaluation of acute postoperative pain.
- Evaluation of the efficacy of a novel electronic pain assessment device, the Pain Gauge, for measuring postoperative pain in ratsC A Richardson
Comparative Biology Centre, Medical School, Framlington Place, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Lab Anim 41:46-54. 2007..To establish whether the Pain Gauge is effective in assessing postoperative pain in laboratory rats, preoperative and postoperative pain gauge scores ('pain scores') were obtained from 67 ..
- Efficacy of perioperative parecoxib injection on postoperative pain relief after laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a prospective, randomized studyThawatchai Akaraviputh
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Prannok Road, Bangkok, Thailand
World J Gastroenterol 15:2005-8. 2009To determine the efficacy of perioperative parecoxib injection on postoperative pain relief after laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- Acute postoperative pain predicts chronic pain and long-term analgesic requirements after breast surgery for cancerA Fassoulaki
Department of Anaesthesia, Aretaieio Hospital, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 59:241-8. 2008b>Postoperative pain and analgesic requirements may be associated with chronic pain. The aim of the study was to investigate this association...
- Correlates of postoperative pain and intravenous patient-controlled analgesia use in younger and older surgical patientsLucia Gagliese
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, Ontario, Canada
Pain Med 9:299-314. 2008Age-related patterns in postoperative pain are unclear with reports of no age differences and less pain with age. The objective of this study was to identify correlates of pain and intravenous patient-controlled analgesia (i.v...
- Effect of analgesic standards on persistent postoperative pain evoked by skin/muscle incision and retraction (SMIR)Sarah J L Flatters
Wolfson Centre for Age Related Diseases, Centre for Integrative Biomedicine, King s College London, Hodgkin Building, Guy s Campus, London SE11UL, UK
Neurosci Lett 477:43-7. 2010..and inguinal hernia repair involve essential prolonged tissue retraction, often causing persistent postoperative pain. A new model was developed to mimic this clinical scenario, whereby skin/muscle incision and retraction (..
- Postoperative pain in multiple-visit and single-visit root canal treatmentAbdel Hameed H El Mubarak
Conservative Dentistry Division, Department of Oral Rehabilitation, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan
J Endod 36:36-9. 2010The purpose of the present study was to evaluate postoperative pain after root canal treatment at the Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Khartoum, Sudan.
- The prevalence of postoperative pain and flare-up in single- and multiple-visit endodontic treatment: a systematic reviewC Sathorn
Endodontic Unit, School of Dental Science, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Int Endod J 41:91-9. 2008The aim of this systematic review was to assess the evidence regarding postoperative pain and flare-up of single- or multiple-visit root canal treatment.
- Combining paracetamol (acetaminophen) with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: a qualitative systematic review of analgesic efficacy for acute postoperative painCliff K S Ong
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Anesth Analg 110:1170-9. 2010..We evaluated the efficacy of the combination of paracetamol and an NSAID versus either drug alone in various acute pain models...
- The associations between severity of early postoperative pain, chronic postsurgical pain and plasma concentration of stable nitric oxide products after breast surgeryGabriella Iohom
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Anesth Analg 103:995-1000. 2006..of chronic postsurgical pain (CPSP) after breast surgery and sought to determine the association among early postoperative pain, NOx, and the likelihood of subsequent development of CPSP...
- Postoperative pain after the application of two different irrigation devices in a prospective randomized clinical trialEudes Gondim
Department of Endodontics, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Endod 36:1295-301. 2010The extrusion of irrigation solutions beyond the apical constriction may result in postoperative pain. Sodium hypochlorite can cause severe tissue irritation and necrosis outside the root canal system if extruded into the periodontal ..
- The effect of music on postoperative pain and anxietyKelly D Allred
University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida, USA
Pain Manag Nurs 11:15-25. 2010..Nurses can offer music as an intervention to decrease pain and anxiety in this patient population with confidence, knowing there is evidence to support its efficacy...
- Effects of pulsed electromagnetic fields on postoperative pain: a double-blind randomized pilot study in breast augmentation patientsPer Hedén
Department of Plastic Surgery, Akademikliniken, Storängsvägen 10, 115 42, Stockholm, Sweden
Aesthetic Plast Surg 32:660-6. 2008b>Postoperative pain may be experienced after breast augmentation surgery despite advances in surgical techniques which minimize trauma...
- Comparison of continuous and intermittent transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation in postoperative pain management after coronary artery bypass grafting: a randomized, placebo-controlled prospective studyOzlem Solak
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Afyon Kocatepe University, School of Medicine, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Heart Surg Forum 12:E266-71. 2009..We compared the effectiveness of continuous transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) and intermittent TENS in the management of pain after coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)...
- A new knee surgery model in rats to evaluate functional measures of postoperative painAsokumar Buvanendran
Department of Anesthesiology, Rush University Medical College, Chicago, IL, USA
Anesth Analg 107:300-8. 2008..We used a new animal knee surgery model to characterize pain-related behavior in the rat, and its therapeutic modulation with systemic and intrathecal drug treatment...
- Pain relief after arthroscopic shoulder surgery: a comparison of intraarticular analgesia, suprascapular nerve block, and interscalene brachial plexus blockFrançois J Singelyn
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Catholic University of Louvain, St Luc Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10 1821, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Anesth Analg 99:589-92, table of contents. 2004..We conclude that ISB is the most efficient analgesic technique after arthroscopic acromioplasty. SSN block would be a clinically appropriate alternative...
- The prevalence of postoperative pain in a cross-sectional group of patients after day-case surgery in a university hospitalHans Fritz Gramke
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Therapy, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Clin J Pain 23:543-8. 2007Although a great variety of surgical procedures are performed on an ambulatory basis, little is known about postoperative pain experience at home after ambulatory surgery...
- Morphine tolerance attenuates the resolution of postoperative pain and enhances spinal microglial p38 and extracellular receptor kinase phosphorylationR J Horvath
Department of Pharmacology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Neuroscience 169:843-54. 2010Persistent postoperative pain is a very common phenomenon which severely affects the lives of patients who develop it following common surgical procedures...
- Postoperative pain in older people: a review of the literatureMorag Prowse
Faculty of Health and Social Work, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, UK
J Clin Nurs 16:84-97. 2007..The literature review was conducted to explore those factors which complicate pain management in older people to inform future research, education and nursing practice in this area...
- Influence of thoracic epidural analgesia on postoperative pain relief and ileus after laparoscopic colorectal resection : Benefit with epidural analgesiaUrs Zingg
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Spitalstr 21, Basel, 4031, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 23:276-82. 2009..However, in laparoscopic colorectal surgery the role of TEA is not well defined. This prospective observational study investigates the influence of TEA in laparoscopic colorectal resections...
- Evaluation of a single preoperative dose of pregabalin for attenuation of postoperative pain after laparoscopic cholecystectomyA Agarwal
Department of Anaesthesiology, Sanjay Gandhi Post GraduateInstitute of Medical Sciences, Type V B 11, Lucknow 226014, India
Br J Anaesth 101:700-4. 2008b>Postoperative pain is the dominating complaint and the primary reason for prolonged convalescence after laparoscopic cholecystectomy...
- The use of brain positron emission tomography to identify sites of postoperative pain processing with and without epidural analgesiaAsokumar Buvanendran
Department of Anesthesiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1784-6, table of contents. 2007It is not known how different analgesic regimes affect the brain when reducing postoperative pain. We performed positron emission tomography (PET) scans on a 69-yr-old woman in the presence of moderate postoperative pain and then with ..
- Effects of minimal invasive coronary artery bypass on pulmonary function and postoperative painA Lichtenberg
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 70:461-5. 2000..We investigated whether this fact may lead to less postoperative pain and improved pulmonary function.
- Epidural dexamethasone reduces postoperative pain and analgesic requirementsSiji Thomas
Department of Anaesthesiology, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, Thrissur, Kerala 680555, India
Can J Anaesth 53:899-905. 2006..We therefore undertook a study to evaluate the efficacy of epidurally administered dexamethasone in reducing postoperative morphine requirements, as a measure of analgesia following laparoscopic cholecystectomy...
- The effect of perioperative intravenous lidocaine on postoperative pain and immune functionIsrael Z Yardeni
Department of Anesthesiology, Rabin Medical Center, Hasharon Hospital, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Anesth Analg 109:1464-9. 2009..We focused on the effects of preincisional and intraoperative IV lidocaine on pain intensity and immune reactivity in the postoperative period...
- Pregabalin and dexamethasone for postoperative pain control: a randomized controlled study in hip arthroplastyO Mathiesen
Department of Anaesthesia, Copenhagen University Hospital, Ndr Ringvej, DK 2600 Glostrup, Denmark
Br J Anaesth 101:535-41. 2008..Optimal pain treatment with minimal side-effects is essential for early mobility and recovery in patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty. We investigated the analgesic effect of pregabalin and dexamethasone in this surgical procedure...
- Novel drug combinations for the management of painKENNETH NARDUCY; Fiscal Year: 2007..we will conduct Phase I human clinical trials to evaluate tolerability and oral bioavailability in normal human volunteers, and Phase II human clinical trials to evaluate the combinations in postoperative pain patients.
- Clinical Development of Hemostatic Agent ClotFoam for Severe HemorrhageMaja Nowakowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..a non- compressible hemostatic control in laparoscopic surgery will result in reduction of blood loss, postoperative pain, hospital stay and complications following these procedures...
- 3D Single Fiber Endoscope for Minimally Invasive SurgeriesJason Geng; Fiscal Year: 2013..has lead to reduced risk of complications, faster recovery with enhanced patient satisfaction due to reduced postoperative pain and favorable health system economics...
- Regulation of TRPV1 and Nociceptor Sensitization by the Complement SystemYuriy M Usachev; Fiscal Year: 2013..or antagonizing their receptors produces analgesic effects in animal models of inflammatory, neuropathic and postoperative pain. Moreover, direct administration of the complement fragments increases nociceptive sensitivity to heat and ..
- Comparing focused ultrasound and uterine artery embolization for uterine fibroidsElizabeth A Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2010..This myoma-specific approach causes less postoperative pain and allows for outpatient treatment but is less comprehensive and may lead to less long term symptomatic ..
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation in the Management of Post-operative PainJeffrey J Borckardt; Fiscal Year: 2013..the procedure itself is associated with considerable post-operative pain lasting days to weeks, and adequate postoperative pain control is an important factor in determining recovery time and hospital length of stay...
- Role of the Supraspinal Opioidergic Circuit in Prefrontal TMS-Induced AnalgesiaJOSEPH JEFFREY TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..with narcotic analgesics demonstrate an urgent need to discover adjunctive therapies for chronic and postoperative pain. This study uses rTMS as an interventional tool to study pain circuitry while simultaneously evaluating its ..
- Role of glial derived prostaglandins in pain due to surgeryCHRISTOPHER MICHAEL PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2010The management of postoperative pain is a continuing clinical challenge in the United States and worldwide for individuals undergoing surgical procedures...
- Pathophysiology of postoperative delirium in older patientsJacqueline M Leung; Fiscal Year: 2013..of pain, and probably to the central nervous system effects of opioid analgesics, the usual therapy for postoperative pain. In our framework, the presence of risks for delirium such as advanced age, cognitive impairment, depression,..
- Obesity and Surgical OutcomesJeffrey H Silber; Fiscal Year: 2010..to normal weight patients, such as differences in the surgical procedures offered, anesthesia technique and postoperative pain control...
- Postoperative pain increases synaptic GluA1 expression in the nucleus accumbens tJing Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Depressed mood is a common feature of both acute and chronic postoperative pain. The nucleus accumbens (NAc), the reward center of the brain, may be a key region to regulate pain-induced depression...
- Parent/Health Care Provider Behaviors &Child's AnxietyZeev Kain; Fiscal Year: 2013..Secondary aims of the study are to: 1. Examine the impact of P-TIPS on surgical recovery parameters such as postoperative pain, recovery room stay, nausea and vomiting, emergence delirium and maladaptive behavioral changes;2...
- Development of a new technology for assessing pediatric pain (NTAP)Jeannie S Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..project will collect a dataset of clinical pain in children following a known pain insult (pancreatitis, and postoperative pain following appendectomy...
- Mastectomy Reconstruction Outcome Consortium (MROC Study)Edwin G Wilkins; Fiscal Year: 2013..Outcomes assessed will include complications, postoperative pain, psychosocial well-being, physical functioning, patient satisfaction and costs...
- Evaluation of Sodium Channel Inhibitors as Therapeutics for Chronic Muscle DisordJOHN VINCENT MULCAHY; Fiscal Year: 2013..effects than existing pharmacological treatment options for anal fissure, chronic tension-type headache, postoperative pain, and other medical conditions...
- Controlling Pain After TraumaDavid R Patterson; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The treatment of postoperative pain after severe trauma is poorly understood, and it can lead to chronic pain, opiate drug addiction and elevated health care costs...
- Ethnic Differences in Acute Pain and Analgesic ResponseBarbara A Hastie; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will assess preoperative experimental pain responses and psychosocial measures. We will monitor postoperative pain levels along with PK and PD responses to the opioid fentanyl...
- BEHAVIORAL EFFECTS OF OPIOIDS IN VOLUNTEERSJames Zacny; Fiscal Year: 2003..methodology to examine the effects of a number of different opioids that are typically given to patients for postoperative pain. This application will have four series of studies that are logical continuations of studies from the ..
- Mechanisms Involved in the Transition of Acute to Chronic Pain after SurgeryCHRISTOPHER MICHAEL PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is due in part to an incomplete knowledge of the mechanisms responsible for the transition of postoperative pain from an acute phenomenon that resolves after the surgical site heals to a chronic pain state...
- Use of Machine Learning Classifiers to Forecast Severe Acute Postoperative Pain FPatrick Tighe; Fiscal Year: 2013..To accurately forecast severe postoperative pain, we propose the use of machine learning classifiers (MLC's), which are classification algorithms ..
- Resolvins, protectins, and chronic pain resolution.CHARLES NICHOLAS SERHAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..work in progress, the results from the proposed studies will be transformative and have considerable impact on the entire pain community, from acute postoperative pain to chronic inflammatory pain and neuropathic pain.
- Laser-Activated Collagen Adhesives for HerniorrhaphyBarbara Soltz; Fiscal Year: 2006..that frequently occurs with mechanical mesh fixation, inhibit adhesion formation, beneficial in minimizing postoperative pain due to tissue ischemia and nerve entrapment syndromes and is inherently compliant with laparoscopic formats...
- Management of Post Operative Pain in Underserved PopulationsZeev Kain; Fiscal Year: 2013..the past decade outpatient surgery has become much more prevalent and as a result the burden of managing postoperative pain at home falls mostly on the parents...
- Voltage gated sodium channels in acute post laminectomy painCHRISTINA MARIE SPOFFORD; Fiscal Year: 2013..For many patients, postoperative pain is poorly controlled despite treatment with conventional therapeutics...
- A Unified Surgical Instrument System for Periodontal Minimally Invasive SurgerySTEPHEN HARREL; Fiscal Year: 2007..surgery, has a record of clinical regeneration of lost tissue, results in less patient trauma, less postoperative pain, better post surgical esthetics, and a more rapid return to normal function...
- EFFECT OF NURSING ACTIONS TO ALLEVIATE PAIN IN CHILDRENMARY DENYES; Fiscal Year: 1992..practice in a children's hospital to determine the effect of the experimental protocols on intensity of postoperative pain. A modified randomized blocks design with repeated measures will be used to address the following research ..
- Supplementing Relaxation & Music for Postoperative PainMarion Good; Fiscal Year: 2004Despite decades of research on postoperative pain, it is still not being relieved. To date there has been no clinical trial that integrates testing of both pharmacological and nonpharmacological methods of pain relief...
- Development of Novel Therapeutics for Postsurgical PainKENNETH NARDUCY; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will further test and develop this drug in Phase II for treating postoperative pain and for other analgesic treatments where acetaminophen is contraindicated...
- Effects of Physiotones on Adolescents' PainBernice Mowery; Fiscal Year: 2003Effective postoperative pain management is a high priority outcome for children and their families...
- DEVELOPMENT OF ANALGESICS WITH FEWER SIDE EFFECTSKENNETH NARDUCY; Fiscal Year: 2000..will identify lead candidate drug(s) that we will further test and develop in phase II for the treatment of postoperative pain, pain associated with pneumonia, chronic pain, phantom limb pain, and for analgesic treatment where ..
- Elder Surgery-Functional Recovery after Beta BlockadeJeffrey Silverstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..regimen; 2) comparison of the course of early (stage 1 and 2) recovery with particular reference to postoperative pain and analgesic medications in elderly surgical patients receiving either a control or an anesthetic-coupled ..
- Laser-Activated Collagen Adhesives for HerniorrhaphyBarbara Soltz; Fiscal Year: 2002..injury which frequently occurs with mechanical fixation and may offer the additional benefit of minimizing postoperative pain due to tissue ischemia and nerve entrapment syndromes...
- An Innovative Assessment of Adult Influences on Children's Postoperative PainZeev Kain; Fiscal Year: 2009..such as opioids and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents are generally considered the first line of postoperative pain management...
- The Effect of Postoperative Analgesics on Sleep of RatsSharon Kozachik; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pain and sleep disturbance are significant public health problems. Postoperative pain and sleep disturbance are inter-related sequelae that can adversely affect recovery if not effectively managed...
- MECHANISMS OF POSTOPERATIVE PAINTimothy Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2001..from the applicant'S abstract) In this FIRST award proposal, the investigator proposes to use a rat model of postoperative pain that he has developed...
- Development of Non-Narcotic Intravenous AnalgesicsKENNETH NARDUCY; Fiscal Year: 2007..will fulfill one of our target profiles, defined as a drug that is clinically useful as an IV treatment for postoperative pain and other types of pain, including patients that may have compromised liver function (eg...
- POSTOPERATIVE PAIN COMMUNICATION SKILLS FOR OLDER ADULTSDeborah McDonald; Fiscal Year: 1999..b>Postoperative pain will be measured with the Short Form McGill Pain Questionnaire on postoperative day 1, and 2, and 1 and 7 ..
- Psychological Influences on Postoperative RecoveryZeev Kain; Fiscal Year: 2007..we have demonstrated that high levels of preoperative anxiety in children are associated with increased postoperative pain and impaired clinical and behavioral postoperative recovery...
- DISTRIBUTION AND ULTRASTRUCTURE OF DENTAL INNERVATIONMARGARET BYERS; Fiscal Year: 2003..interactions with pulp and dentin in normal teeth, and the mechanisms that cause hypersensitive dentin, postoperative pain, and difficult anesthesia for inflamed teeth...
- Neural blockade with vanilloidsIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2007..To study the specific aims of the project the effects of RTX will be examined in rats by behavioral methods; and whole cell voltage-clamp technique will be used to identify a mechanism for impulse failure induced by RTX. ..
- IMAGE REPRESENTATION IN THE PRIMARY VISUAL CORTEXAllan Gottschalk; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, this material provides an important quantitative link between biologic and synthetic methods of image representation. ..
- ACUTE TOLERANCE IN ANESTHETIC ACTIONS AND INTERACTIONSIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- TRPV1 Expressing Sensory Afferents in Postoperative PainTimothy Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2009..A separate pathway, likely an A-fiber mediated pathway, is sufficient to transmit the enhanced mechanical responses. ..
- AGING AND PERIOPERATIVE OUTCOMESJACQUELINE LEUNG; Fiscal Year: 2005..versus general anesthesia after controlling for intraoperative anesthetic and hemodynamic management and postoperative pain management...
- PAIN AND THE DEFENSE RESPONSEC Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- TMS in the Management of Postoperative PainJeffrey J Borckardt; Fiscal Year: 2010..Despite profound advances in neuroscience, opiate narcotics are heavily relied upon for postoperative pain control...
- Genetics of Opioid Induced HyperalgesiaDavid Clark; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus our overall goal is to bring a unique and complimentary approach to the ongoing studies of OIH by using genomics to objectively identify genes involved in this phenomenon. ..
- Rehabilitation of Spinal Cord Injury-Related PainMark Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Sensory Re-training following Orthognathic SurgeryCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our primary focus will be on the patient's perception of the negative impact of altered sensation on daily life. ..
- Clinical and Molecular Evaluation of Cancer Therapy Induced MucositisSharon Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Demonstration of safety and tolerability will provide a basis to test further this route of administration. Hence, this proposal holds promise for clinical application in a relatively short period. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Catastrophizing and Pain in Rheumatoid ArthritisRobert Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PERIOPERATIVE PAIN, IMMUNE FUNCTION, AND METASTASISGayle Page; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Effectiveness of TENS on Hyperalgesia, Pain with Movement, and Function After TKRBarbara Rakel; Fiscal Year: 2010..By improving functional status, older adults can retain independence and possibly reduce their health care utilization and costs. ..
- Improving Measurement of Acute PainC Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this work will facilitate pain research, improve the management of acute pain, and help identify patients with acute pain who are at risk for developing chronic pain. ..
- Role of the Amygdala in Opioid Self-administration in Rats with Chronic Pain.Thomas Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Persistent Mechanical Hypersensitivity in Rats: Biobehavioral EffectsGayle Page; Fiscal Year: 2009..The relevance of the proposed study to human health is the goal to discern what factors (e.g., sleep disruption, biological responses to stress and anxiety) increase one s risk to develop chronic pain. ..
- Presurgery Hypnosis in Breast Cancer: Benefits AnalysisGuy Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2006..Mediators and moderators (e.g., hypnotizability) of hypnosis effects will be determined, as well as long-term side benefits of the intervention. ..
- Presurgery Hypnosis--Benefits Analysis in Breast CancerGuy Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2003..The possible mediational role of these factors in hypnosis effects will be examined will classic statistical approaches. ..