Summary: A clinical syndrome with acute abdominal pain that is severe, localized, and rapid onset. Acute abdomen may be caused by a variety of disorders, injuries, or diseases.
Publications227 found, 100 shown here
- CT of the acute abdomen: gynecologic etiologiesG L Bennett
Department of Radiology, New York University Medical Center, Tisch Hospital, Room HW202, 560 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Abdom Imaging 28:416-32. 2003
- Accessory spleen torsion: rare cause of acute abdomen in children and review of literaturePietro Impellizzeri
Unit of Pediatric Surgery University of Messina, 98124 Messina, Italy
J Pediatr Surg 44:e15-8. 2009Torsion of an accessory spleen is an extremely rare condition. We describe an unusual case of acute abdomen caused by torsion of an accessory spleen in a 12-year-old boy...
- Intestinal localization of anisakiasis manifested as acute abdomenP Caramello
Infectious Diseases Unit A, Ospedale Amedeo di Savoia, C so Svizzera 164, 10149 Torino, Italy
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:734-7. 2003..Anisakiasis is a misdiagnosed and underestimated cause of acute abdomen: most patients undergo laparotomy, and virtually no cases are diagnosed before surgery...
- Caesarean scar endometriosis presenting as an acute abdomen: a case report and review of literatureK B Gajjar
Luton and Dunstable Hospital, Lewsey Road, Luton, LU4 0FH, Bedfordshire, UK
Arch Gynecol Obstet 277:167-9. 2008To report a case of Caesarean scar endometriosis presenting as acute abdomen and a review of literature.
- Blastocystis hominis--an emerging and imitating cause of acute abdomen in childrenNesibe Andiran
Department of Pediatrics, Fatih University Hospital, 06540 Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 41:1489-91. 2006..Just before the decision of laparotomy, both patients were diagnosed as having Blastocystis hominis infection with light microscopic examination of the stools and were treated uneventfully with the appropriate antibiotics...
- Primary torsion of the greater omentum in children - a neglected cause of acute abdomen?I Valioulis
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Aghios Loukas Hospital, Panorama Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur J Pediatr Surg 13:341-3. 2003..The authors believe that primary omental torsion was underestimated, because many cases were not recognised, even during laparotomy for appendicitis. Laparoscopy permits accurate diagnosis of this disease...
- Acute abdomen secondary to a Meckel's lipomaH U Ahmed
Department of General Surgery, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 86:W4-5. 2004..We present an exceptional case, previously unreported in the English language, of a lipoma within a Meckel's diverticulum giving rise to this clinical scenario...
- Primary torsion of the greater omentum: report of a caseAnastasios J Karayiannakis
Second Department of Surgery, Democritus University of Thrace, Medical School, 6 I Kaviri Street, 68 100 Alexandroupolis, Greece
Surg Today 32:913-5. 2002..We report a case of primary omental torsion and discuss the diagnostic and therapeutic implications of this entity...
- Acute abdomen associated with schistosomiasis of the appendixChiara Gabbi
Department of and Medical Specialties, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 51:215-7. 2006
- Genital schistosomiasis as a cause of female sterility and acute abdomenAndrea Schanz
University Hospital for Gynecology and Obstetrics, Heinrich Heine Universitat, Dusseldorf, Germany
Fertil Steril 93:2075.e7-9. 2010..To report the case of a Nigerian patient who suffered from sterility and underwent abdominal laparotomy to remove an adnexal tumor. Histologic analysis revealed Schistosoma haematobium ova...
- Acute abdomen due to small bowel anisakiasisM Pellegrini
Department of Internal Medicine, Endocrino Metabolic Sciences and Biochemistry, University of Siena, Viale Bracci 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 37:65-7. 2005..The entire digestive tract may be involved, but the stomach and the small intestine are the most frequently affected sites. We report a case of acute abdomen due to Anisakis simplex infection that caused small bowel obstruction.
- Small intestinal angiosarcoma leading to perforation and acute abdomen: a case report and review of the literatureKatalin Kelemen
Arkadi M Rywlin Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, FL 33140, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:95-8. 2004..A broad panel of immunochemical markers might be necessary to establish the pathologic diagnosis...
- Capnocytophaga canimorsus sepsis presenting as an acute abdomen in an asplenic patientP Depres-Brummer
Canisius Wilhelmina Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine, UMC Sint Radboud, Geert Grooteplein 8, Postbus 9101, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 59:213-7. 2001..We describe the atypical presentation of a fatal C. canimorsus-sepsis in a 46-year-old man, who underwent traumatic splenectomy two decades earlier...
- Unsuspected colchicine overdose in a female patient presenting as an acute abdomenR E Blackham
Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 35:437-9. 2007....
- Acute abdomen due to acute pancreatitis--a rare presentation of leptospirosisP Baburaj
Department of Medicine, Jubilee Mission Medical College and Research Institute, East Fort, Thrissur, Kerala 680 005
J Assoc Physicians India 56:911-2. 2008..Apart from the typical clinical features; elevated serum lipase or elastase-1, along with radiological evidence and positive leptospiral serology confirms this rare association...
- Giant ureteral stone in association with primary megaureter presenting as an acute abdomenDimitrios Delakas
Department of Urology, General University Hospital of Heraklion, 71110 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Eur J Radiol 41:170-2. 2002..Subsequent renal scan demonstrated that it was a non-functional kidney while the contralateral kidney was normal. A left nephroureterectomy was performed...
- A rare cause of acute abdomen: small bowel obstruction due to phytobezoarSavas Yakan
Department of General Surgery, İzmir Bozyaka Education and Research Hospital Ministry of Health, Izmir, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 16:459-63. 2010..Phytobezoars are a rare cause of acute small bowel obstruction. The aim of this work was to identify the diagnostic difficulties and treatment of this rare entity...
- Acute abdomen as a cause of death in sudden, unexpected deaths in the elderlyC Y Ng
Department of Orthopaedics, Queen Margaret Hospital, Whitefield Road, Dunfermline
Scott Med J 52:20-3. 2007This study profiles patients aged 70 years or above dying suddenly of an 'acute abdomen' and investigates the specific features associated with the conditions and their diagnoses.
- Perforation of acute calculous Meckel's diverticulitis: a rare cause of acute abdomen in elderlyK Yorganci
Department of General Surgery, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 100:226-7. 2000..This case report with major complications related to Meckel's diverticulum strengthens the concept of prophylactic resection of Meckel's diverticulum in adults, incidentally discovered at laparotomy...
- [Ultrasound of acute abdomen]J S Bleck
Abteilung Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Internist (Berl) 44:542-6, 548-52, 554-6. 2003..The use of mobile ultrasound machines and an improved training (e.g. by computer assisted sonosimulator systems) will lead to an increasing importance of ultrasound...
- The acute abdomen in the immune compromised hostSimon P Spencer
Department of Radiology, St Bartholomew s and The Royal London Hospitals, London, UK
Cancer Imaging 8:93-101. 2008..This review explores the aetiology of the acute abdomen in the immune compromised host...
- Acute abdomen in the elderly. A peripheral general hospital experienceD Costamagna
General Surgery Department, Santo Spirito Hospital, Casale Monferrato, Italy
G Chir 30:315-22. 2009We reviewed our experience on 291 consecutive patients aged over 65 years who were operated on for acute abdomen during the period 2003-2007 at "Santo Spirito" Hospital of Casale Monferrato, a peripheral hospital in the Piedmont region...
- A case of bronchogenic carcinoma presenting with acute abdomenMehmet Ali Habesoglu
Department of Chest Disease, Faculty of Medicine, University of Baskent, Adana, Turkey
Tuberk Toraks 53:280-3. 2005..Here we document an extremely rare presentation of the lung cancer that presented with acute abdomen and was diagnosed as intestinal obstruction due to colon carcinoma initially...
- Spontaneous uterine perforation due to pyometra presenting as acute abdomenLoabat Geranpayeh
Department of Surgery, Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 2006:60276. 2006..Although spontaneously perforated pyometra is rare, a perforated pyometra should therefore also be considered when elderly women present with acute abdominal pain...
- Spontaneous perforation of urinary bladder secondary to Candida cystitis: acute abdomen of urologic originMasoud Mardani
Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University M C, Tehran, Iran
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 9:525-7. 2008Spontaneous urinary bladder perforation is a rare event; presentation as an acute abdomen is rarer still. Fungal cystitis has seldom, and Candida albicans cystitis has never, to our knowledge, been reported as a cause of perforation.
- Acute pancreatitis: a rare cause of acute abdomen in pregnancySmiti Nanda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Pt B D Sharma, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak, India
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:577-8. 2009..A case of idiopathic pancreatitis in pregnancy has been reported. Pancreatitis often presents as an acute abdomen and can have lethal effect on the mother and the fetus.
- The value of D-dimer test in the diagnosis of patients with nontraumatic acute abdomenHizir Yakup Akyildiz
Department of General Surgery, Erciyes University Faculty of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 16:22-6. 2010..In these patients, it is very important to distinguish between surgical and nonsurgical pathology. Our aim was to compare the accuracy of the leukocyte count and D-dimer test in the diagnosis of acute abdomen.
- Sonography of the acute abdomen in the pediatric patientDiane S Babcock
Department of Radiology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Ultrasound Med 21:887-99; quiz 900-1. 2002..To review the causes and sonographic appearance of pathologic processes that result in abdominal pain in the pediatric patient and to understand the use and limitations of abdominal sonography in the acute pediatric abdomen...
- Acute abdomen due to torsion of a pelvic wandering spleenKuo Chun Chan
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, City Branch of Taipei Hospital, Department of Health, 40 Jengjou Road, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 101:577-80. 2002....
- [Solitary duodenal diverticulum with enterolith as a rare cause of acute abdomen]D Franzen
Stadtspital Triemli Zürich, Chirurgische Klinik, Zurich
Swiss Surg 8:277-9. 2002..In our case report, a patient presented at our institution with symptoms of an acute abdomen caused by an enterolith inside a solitary duodenal diverticulum "ante perforationem"...
- Perforated jejunal diverticulitis: a rare presentation of acute abdomenF Vanrykel
Heilig Hartziekenhuis Roeselare, Roeselare, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 110:367-9. 2010Jejunal diverticulosis is a rare clinical finding with possible serious complications. A case of acute abdomen due to a perforated jejunal diverticulum is discussed, followed by a literature review concerning aetiology, symptoms, ..
- Wandering spleen as a cause of acute abdomen: a case reportFrancesco Puglisi
AUSL FG2 Hospital of Manfredonia Manfredonia, Foggia
Chir Ital 57:373-5. 2005We report a case of acute abdomen due to torsion of the long vascular pedicle of a wandering spleen, displaced in the abdominal cavity, and caused by partial infarction of the spleen...
- Idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome presenting acute abdomenMakoto Kobayashi
Department of Hematology and Respiratory Medicine, Kochi Medical School, Kochi University, Nankoku, Japan
Intern Med 46:675-8. 2007We describe a 27-year-old man with hypereosinophilc syndrome (HES) presenting acute abdomen due to acute thrombosis of the mesenteric artery, who had a past history of eosinophilic pneumonia followed by multiple arterial thromboses of ..
- A strange case of acute abdomenLaurence A Galea
Departments of Surgery and Internal Medicine, St Luke s Hospital, Guardamangia, Malta
South Med J 102:186-7. 2009A 30-year-old male suffered from acute abdomen following duodenal biopsy taken at esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)...
- Torsion of a pelvic wandering spleen as a cause of acute abdomen in a woman: a case report and review of the literatureSissay Befikadu
Yekatit 12 Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Ethiop Med J 42:53-61. 2004..A 25 year old female patient with torsion of an ectopic spleen presenting as a case of acute abdomen is presented. Review of the literature is done and presented
- Conservative management of pneumatosis intestinalis and massive pneumoperitoneum in the acute abdomen: a case reportSimon E Brill
Department of Surgery, North Middlesex University Hospital, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 90:W11-3. 2008..with pneumatosis intestinalis that was successfully managed without surgery despite a clinical picture of an acute abdomen and biochemical evidence of inflammation and systemic upset...
- Gastrointestinal perforation and the acute abdomenJohn T Langell
Department of Surgery, University of Utah, 30 North 1900 East, SOM 3B115, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Med Clin North Am 92:599-625, viii-ix. 2008The acute abdomen accounts for up to 40% of all emergency-surgical hospital admissions and is considered in the differential in the more than 7 million visits to the emergency department annually for abdominal pain in the United States...
- Idiopathic segmental infarction of the greater omentum: a rare cause of acute abdomenAlexandre Paroz
Department of Surgery, CHUV University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Gastrointest Surg 7:805-8. 2003Idiopathic segmental infarction of the greater omentum is a rare cause of acute abdomen. Patients, typically children or obese males in their fifties, present with abdominal pain located in the right upper or lower quadrant, mimicking ..
- Ruptured phaeochromocytoma--a lesson in acute abdomenM K Y Chan
Department of Surgery, Caritas Medical Centre, 111 Wing Hong Street, Shamshuipo, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 9:221-3. 2003Phaeochromocytoma may present as acute abdomen. This report is of a patient with spontaneous rupture of phaeochromocytoma who presented with abdominal pain and a tender abdominal mass...
- Spontaneous perforation of pyometra presented as an acute abdomen: a case reportPradip Kumar Saha
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Government Medical College and Hospital, sec 32B, Chandigarh, Pin 160030, India
Medscape J Med 10:15. 2008..rare, perforation of pyometra should be kept as one of the differential diagnosis in an elderly woman with an acute abdomen. A high index of suspicion is required to make a correct preoperative diagnosis, which allows early ..
- Acute abdomen: an unusual presentation of disseminated Penicillium marneffei infectionI A George
Department of Medicine, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore 632 004, Tamil Nadu, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 26:180-2. 2008..We report a patient with advanced AIDS who presented to us with prolonged fever and had features of an acute abdomen. On radiologic imaging he had features of intestinal obstruction and mesenteric lymphadenitis...
- Spontaneous uterine perforation due to pyometra presenting as acute abdomenN M Nuamah
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of General Surgery, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 92:145-6. 2006
- Tailored helical CT evaluation of acute abdomenB A Urban
Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Radiographics 20:725-49. 2000..Clear communication between the radiologist, the patient, and the referring physician is essential for narrowing the differential diagnosis into a working diagnosis prior to helical CT...
- Pattern of acute abdomen and variables associated with adverse outcome in a rural primary hospital settingBerhanu Nega
Department of Surgery, Addis Ababa University, Medical Faculty, Addis Ababa
Ethiop Med J 47:143-51. 2009....
- Dengue hemorrhagic fever patients with acute abdomen: clinical experience of 14 casesBoon Siang Khor
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:901-4. 2006..dengue hemorrhagic fever/dengue shock syndrome (DHF/DSS), 14 (4 men and 10 women, median age 44 years) had acute abdomen. DHF/DSS was initially suspected in only 2 of these 14 patients...
- Herbal remedy poisoning presenting with acute abdomen and raised urine porphyrinsN R Anderson
Department of Clinical Chemistry, New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 38:408-10. 2001We describe a case of lead poisoning due to herbal remedies, presenting with an acute abdomen, raised porphyrins and increased liver enzyme activities...
- Anisakis infestation: a case of acute abdomen mimicking Crohn's disease and eosinophilic gastroenteritisM Montalto
Institute of Internal Medicine, Catholic University, Largo Gemelli, 00168 Rome, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 37:62-4. 2005..a rare parasitic disease transmitted to humans by the ingestion of raw fish, which can initially present with acute abdomen. We report the case of a man, a habitual consumer of raw fish, who underwent surgery for acute abdomen, ..
- Magnetic resonance imaging and the acute abdomenJ Stoker
Department of Radiology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 95:1193-4. 2008
- Prospective study on the role of C-reactive protein (CRP) in patients with an acute abdomenT A Salem
Department of Surgery, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 89:233-7. 2007C-reactive protein (CRP) is used routinely in many hospitals to evaluate patients with an acute abdomen. We assessed CRP levels in non-specific abdominal pain (NSAP) and surgical conditions requiring operative or non-operative ..
- Strangulation necrosis of the intestine in a patient with giant polycystic kidney disease: a rare cause of acute abdomenTakaki Yoshikawa
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Kanagawa Cancer Center, Asahi ku, Yokohama, Japan
Int Surg 93:15-8. 2008..A 75-year-old Japanese woman with a 30-year history of ADPKD underwent surgery to treat a diagnosis of acute abdomen. Surgery confirmed that the mesenterium was stretched caudally over the huge cysts that occupied the entire ..
- Spontaneous rupture of the spleen: a rare but important differential of an acute abdomenShin Jae Rhee
Department of Surgery, University College London Hospital NHS Trust, NW3 2YT London, UK
Am J Emerg Med 26:733.e5-6. 2008..The purpose of this case report is to highlight the importance of considering spontaneous rupture of the spleen as a rare but important differential of an acute abdomen.
- Effect of contrast-enhanced computed tomography on diagnosis and management of acute abdomen in adultsYoshito Tsushima
Department of Radiology, Motojima General Hospital, Gunma, Japan
Clin Radiol 57:507-13. 2002..To determine the impact of computed tomography (CT) on the diagnosis and treatment plan in patients with acute abdominal pain...
- Diagnostic peritoneal lavage for assessing acute abdomen in pediatric oncology and stem cell transplantation patientsAshish Kumar
Division of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, and Bone Marrow Transplantation, University of Minnesota, 420 Delaware Street, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 26:824-6. 2004..DPL was uneventfully performed at the bedside in both patients. The authors suggest DPL be considered as an alternative to laparotomy in critically ill pediatric oncology and stem cell transplantation patients...
- Acute abdomen in the medical intensive care unitOgnjen Gajic
Critical Care Service, Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN 55905, USA
Crit Care Med 30:1187-90. 2002..We hypothesize that delays in surgery because of atypical presentation, such as the absence of peritoneal signs, may contribute to mortality...
- Acute abdomen caused by brucellar hepatic abscessCem Ibis
Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
Asian J Surg 30:283-5. 2007..We present a case of hepatic abscess caused by Brucella, which resembled the clinical presentation of surgical acute abdomen.
- Acute abdomen: Added diagnostic value of coronal reformations with 64-slice multidetector row computed tomographyStephan Zangos
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Institute for Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital Frankfurt, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt Main
Acad Radiol 14:19-27. 2007We sought to assess retrospectively the added value of coronal reformations from isotropic voxels obtained with 64-slice multidetector row computed tomography (CT) of the acute abdomen.
- Ruptured giant liver cyst: a rare cause of acute abdomen in a haemodialysis patient with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney diseaseR A Carels
Department of Internal Medicine, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, PO Box 444, 3300 AK Dordrecht, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 60:363-5. 2002..We report the occurrence of an acute abdomen caused by massive haemoperitoneum resulting from rupture of a giant liver cyst in ADPKD...
- Intestinal malrotation with midgut volvulus presenting as acute abdomen in children: value of diagnostic and therapeutic laparoscopyChinnusamy Palanivelu
Department of Minimal Access Surgery, GEM Hospital, Coimbatore, India
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:490-2. 2007..Normal rotation takes place around the superior mesenteric artery. Incomplete rotation and midgut volvulus is the commonest type of anomaly. Intestinal obstruction is the commonest presentation in symptomatic cases...
- Approach to the acute abdomen in pregnancyCharlie C Kilpatrick
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Texas Houston Medical School Houston, TX, USA
Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 34:389-402, x. 2007..The reported incidence of adnexal masses and fibroids in pregnancy may increase with increasing use of first-trimester ultrasound. Conservative management, with surgical management postpartum, appears reasonable in most cases...
- Acute abdomen as an unusual presentation of hepatic PEComa. A case reportAdriano Massimiliano Priola
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, S Luigi Gonzaga Hospital Orbassano, Turin, Italy
Tumori 95:123-8. 2009..Intralesional hemorrhage was causing abdominal distension, which progressed to acute abdomen soon after. The hemoglobin concentration was 9.9 g/dL...
- Acute abdomen--remember spontaneous perforation of the urinary bladderD R Basavaraj
Department of Urology, Wansbeck General Hospital, Ashington, Northumberland, UK
J R Coll Surg Edinb 46:316-7. 2001Spontaneous perforation of the urinary bladder is a rare clinical condition presenting as an acute abdomen. It should be suspected in patients with a past history of radiotherapy to the pelvis, enterocystoplasty and those suspected of ..
- Acute abdomen due to Brucella melitensisPanagiotis Andriopoulos
Department of Internal Medicine, Sparta General Hospital, Sparta, Lakonia, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 35:204-5. 2003A case of acute abdomen caused by a Brucella melitensis is reported. The patient presented with biliary involvement in the form of acute acalculous cholecystitis and developed acute appendicitis that resulted in his surgical treatment.
- Narcotic analgesia in the acute abdomen--a review of prospective trialsP M McHale
Maricopa Medical Center, Department of Emergency Medicine, Phoenix, AZ 85008, USA
Eur J Emerg Med 8:131-6. 2001..Based on this research, we propose that it is safe and humane to administer narcotic pain relief to patients presenting to the ED with acute abdominal pain provided no contraindications exist...
- Visceral varicella zoster after bone marrow transplantation: an obscure cause of an "acute abdomen"Colm J O'Loughlin
University of Miami, School of Medicine Mount Sinai Medical Center, Division of Gastroenterology, Florida 33140, USA
Dig Dis Sci 47:1962-4. 2002
- Management of the acute abdomen in pregnancy: a reviewCharlie C Kilpatrick
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 20:534-9. 2008The acute abdomen remains a challenge for all physicians who take part in the care of women in pregnancy...
- [Congenital diaphragmatic hernia in an adult: case report of acute abdomen]Ada Maria Lucisano
Cattedra di Clinica Chirurgica, U O di Chirurgia Generale, Universita degli Studi Magna Graecia, Catanzaro
Chir Ital 60:583-6. 2008..This case report demonstrates that, despite the apparent clinical silence, congenital diaphragmatic hernia in an adult may often manifest itself with particular gravity calling for urgent surgery...
- Meckel's diverticulitis secondary to carcinoid tumor: an unusual presentation of the acute abdomen in an adultScott S Carpenter
Des Moines University Osteopathic Medical Center, Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Curr Surg 60:301-3. 2003This case reports the concomitant findings of carcinoid tumor within a Meckel's diverticulum presenting as an acute abdomen in an adult male...
- [Acute abdomen in diabetic patients --diagnostical questions]H Doran
Clinica de Chirurgie I Juvara, Spitalul Clinic Dr I Cantacuzino, Str I Movilă, nr 5 7, sector 2, Bucuresti
Chirurgia (Bucur) 98:119-25. 2003..The authors analyze a series of 132 diabetic patients with acute abdomen, operated between 1996 and 2001 in Surgical Clinic "I. Juvara", from Clinical Hospital "Dr. I...
- Acute abdomen in a case with noncommunicating rudimentary horn and unicornuate uterusRusen Atmaca
Inonu University School of Medicine, Department of Obstetric and Gynecology, Malatya, Turkey
JSLS 9:235-7. 2005..The case of a patient referred for acute abdomen after distention of a noncommunicating rudimentary horn is presented herein.
- [Impact of computed tomography on patient's care in nontraumatic acute abdomen: 90 patients]M Foinant
Service de Radiologie B, CHU Clermont Ferrand, Hopital G Montpied, F 63003 Clermont Ferrand, France
J Radiol 88:559-66. 2007To determine the contribution of computerized tomography (CT) to the management of nontraumatic acute abdomen, to evaluate interobserver agreement and the contribution of CT to cost control, to look for the predictive factors of CT.
- Carcinoma urinary bladder presenting as acute abdomenA Goel
Department of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Int Urol Nephrol 33:491-2. 2001..Bladder perforation presenting as acute peritonitis is a rare and dramatic event in the course of carcinoma urinary bladder. We present one such case and discuss the presentation, management and brief follow-up...
- Acute abdomen from chylous peritonitis: a surgical diagnosis. Case report and literature reviewN Vettoretto
General and Vascular Surgery, M Mellini Hospital, Chiari, Italy
Eur Surg Res 41:54-7. 2008..Laparotomic conversion, peritoneal toilette and drainage, with postoperative low-fat diet, were the pursued treatments. Two years after discharge, chemistry and clinics are normal, without evidence of associated disease or recurrence...
- Eosinophilic gastroenteritis: presentation of two patients with unusual affect of terminal ileum and caecum with manifestations of acute abdomen and literature reviewA Charalabopoulos
Third Department of Surgery, Athens University Medical School, Sotiria General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Int J Clin Pract 58:413-6. 2004..The disease is a non-surgical disease, thus presurgical diagnosis is important because the entity discussed can be under control by conservative treatment. A high disease suspicious index must be kept in the physicians' mind...
- Non-obstetrical acute abdomen during pregnancyGoran Augustin
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Center Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 131:4-12. 2007b>Acute abdomen in pregnancy remains one of the most challenging diagnostic and therapeutic dilemmas today. The incidence of acute abdomen during pregnancy is 1 in 500-635 pregnancies...
- Adrenal pseudocyst presenting as acute abdomen during pregnancyB Papaziogas
2nd Surgical Clinic of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Acta Chir Belg 106:722-5. 2006..We present a case of a 28-year-old woman in the 26th gestational week, who developed an acute abdomen due to a haemorrhagic pseudocyst of the left adrenal. The patient was submitted to left adrenalectomy...
- Long-term outcome, adhesions, and quality of life after laparoscopic and open surgical therapies for acute abdomen: follow-up of a prospective trialW D Majewski
Department of General and Transplantation Surgery and Faculty of Nursing, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Surg Endosc 19:81-90. 2005The objective of this study was to determine the long-term outcome of laparoscopic and open therapies for acute abdomen, and to assess the patients postoperative quality of life, with special attention to adhesions.
- [Acute abdomen due to rupture of mesenteric cysts. Observations on a clinical case and review of the literature]G Pisano
Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche e Trapianti d Organo, Sezione di Chirurgia Generale, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Minerva Chir 59:405-11. 2004..In such cases, the clinical presentation is usually attributable to the main causes of acute abdomen, unless ultrasonography or CT scan are performed...
- Perforated GIST of the small intestine as a rare cause of acute abdomen: Surgical treatment and adjuvant therapy. Case reportEleni I Efremidou
1st Surgical Department of the Medical School of University General Hospital, Dragana, 68100 Alexandroupolis, Greece
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 15:297-9. 2006A case of perforated gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST) of small intestine causing acute abdomen is described, with a brief review of the literature. A male patient presented with symptoms of acute abdomen...
- The acute abdomen during pregnancyHoward T Sharp
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 45:405-13. 2002
- Adnexal torsion presenting as an acute abdomen in a patient with bilateral cystic teratoma of the ovaryArthur C Wittich
Department of surgery at DeWitt Army Community Hospital in Fort Belvoir, VA 22060 5901, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 102:231-3. 2002..The patient described had bilateral cystic teratomas, one uncommonly large and torsed, causing an acute abdomen. Discussion includes the diagnosis, operative management, and postoperative findings.
- An unusual cause of acute abdomen: torsion of colonic duplication over a duplicated appendixPelin Oguzkurt
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Baskent University, Adana Medical Center, Dadaloğlu Mah 39 Sokak, No 6, 01220, Adana, Turkey
Pediatr Surg Int 20:722-3. 2004..A 2-year old boy with torsion of colonic duplication, which had a proximal communication with the cecum via an incomplete duplicated appendix, is presented. The clinical picture and complications of this rare association are discussed...
- Emergency general surgical admissions. Prospective institutional experience in non-traumatic acute abdomen: implications for education, training and serviceAbdulmohsen A Al-Mulhim
Department of Surgery, King Fahd Hospital of the University, PO Box 1917, Al Khobar 31952, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 27:1674-9. 2006To assess the pattern of non-traumatic acute abdomen (NTAA) in emergency general surgical admissions in Saudi Arabia (SA) and highlight the implications for education, training and patient care.
- Relaparoscopy in the management of acute abdomen due to localized ischemic bowel: a novel technique--case reportChinnusamy Palanivelu
GEM Hospital, Surgical Gastroenterology and MAS, 45 A, Pankaja Mill Road, Ramanathapuram, Coimbatore 641045, India
Int J Surg 6:e89-91. 2008Diagnostic and therapeutic laparoscopy for acute abdomen has been widely reported in the literature. Diagnostic laparoscopy has an accuracy of 99.08% and 1% morbidity...
- The role of laparoscopy in patients with suspected peritonitis: experience of a single institutionA Sanna
Department of Surgery, Radiology, and Anesthesiology, University Medical School of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 13:17-9. 2003..In this report, we retrospectively evaluate the effect of a laparoscopic approach in the diagnosis and treatment of acute abdominal pain in patients with suspected peritonitis...
- Acute abdomen in pregnancy due to mucinous cystadenoma of the appendixR G Casey
Department of General Surgery, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, Co Louth, Ireland
J Obstet Gynaecol 23:566-7. 2003
- Laparoscopic diagnosis and treatment of an acute epiploic appendagitis with torsion and necrosis causing an acute abdomenJ A Vazquez-Frias
Department of Surgery of The American British Cowdray Hospital, Mexico City, Mexico
JSLS 4:247-50. 2000..Herein, a case of a 63-year-old female patient with acute abdominal syndrome caused by a necrotic epiploic appendix that was successfully diagnosed and treated laparoscopically is described. A review of the literature is made, as well...
- Torsion of appendices epiploicae presenting as acute abdomen: laparoscopic diagnosis and therapyPradeep K Chowbey
Department of Minimal Access Surgery, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi 110 060
Indian J Gastroenterol 22:68-9. 2003..We report a 65-year-old man presenting with acute pain in the abdomen. Diagnostic laparoscopy revealed gangrenous torsion in one of the appendices epiploicae in the ascending colon. This was excised with harmonic scalpel...
- Strangulated umbilical hernia including a mesenteric cyst: a rare cause of acute abdomenC Polat
Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyon, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 103:329-31. 2003..are usually diagnosed as an incidental laparotomy finding in adults but in childhood, they may present with acute abdomen. In this report, a 72-year old female was referred to our hospital, suffering from acute abdominal pain, ..
- MR imaging of the acute abdomen and pelvis: acute appendicitis and beyondAjay Singh
Department of Radiology, University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center, Worcester, MA, USA
Radiographics 27:1419-31. 2007....
- Spontaneous chylous peritonitis mimicking acute appendicitis: a case report and review of literatureFu Chi Fang
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, 325 Section 2, Cheng Kung Road, Neihu 114, Taipei, Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 12:154-6. 2006..We report a case of spontaneous chylous peritonitis that presented with typical symptoms of acute appendicitis such as intermittent fever and epigastric pain radiating to the lower right abdominal quadrant before admission...
- Acute abdomen caused by a ruptured spontaneously infected mesenteric cystMehmet Ozdogan
Department of General Surgery, Bodrum Universal Hospital, Mugla, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 15:120-1. 2004..Any incidental mesenteric cyst diagnosed during radiological examination should be removed completely, even if it has been asymptomatic, to prevent potential life-threatening complications...
- [Acute abdomen calls for considerable care resources. Analysis of 3727 in-patients in the county of Stockholm during the first quarter of 1995]G Fenyö
Kirurgiska kliniken, Sodersjukhuset
Lakartidningen 97:4008-12. 2000..These facts and the prognosis of an 18% increase of inhabitants 50 years of age or older until 2010 in Greater Stockholm signal an increased need of hospital resources for this large group of patients in the coming years...
- Ruptured adrenocortical carcinoma as a cause of paediatric acute abdomenL Y J Leung
Department of Radiology and Imaging, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, 8 Wylie Road, Hong Kong, China
Pediatr Surg Int 18:730-2. 2002..We report a case of childhood ACC that presented as an acute abdomen due to tumour rupture. This is the first reported case of a ruptured ACC as a cause of paediatric acute abdomen...
- Acute abdomen in Henoch-Schönlein purpuraD Lawes
Department of Surgery, North Middlesex Hospital, 12 Claremont Road, Highgate, London N6 5BY, UK
J R Soc Med 95:505-6. 2002
- Primary greater omental torsion: CT diagnosis in an elderly womanEli Atar
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Rabin Medical Center Golda Hasharon Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 6:57-8. 2004
- Laparoscopically assisted treatment of acute abdomen in systemic lupus erythematosusS Gobbi
Institute of General Surgery, University of Parma, School of Medicine, Via Gramsci 14, 43100 Parma, Italy
Surg Endosc 14:1085-6. 2000..On the other hand, in patients with SLE who have acute abdomen, it is dangerous to delay surgery by attempting conservative therapy...
- Surgical complications of selected gastrointestinal emergencies: pitfalls in management of the acute abdomenEdward Newton
Department of Emergency Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1200 North State Street, Room G1011, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 21:873-907, viii. 2003..Apart from relieving the patient's symptoms, the emergency physician's primary role is to detect and stabilize life-threatening conditions in a rapid and cost-effective manner...
- Acute abdomen: an unusual case of ruptured tuberculous mesenteric abscessHester Yui Shan Cheung
Department of Surgery, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, Chai Wan, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 6:259-61. 2005..Abdominal tuberculosis is an uncommon extra-pulmonary manifestation of tuberculosis...
- Multi-detector computed tomography of acute abdomenSebastian Leschka
Department of Medical Radiology, Institute of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital of Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Radiol 15:2435-47. 2005..The sudden onset of severe abdominal pain characterising the "acute abdomen" requires rapid and accurate identification of a potentially life-threatening abdominal pathology to ..
- Ultrasonography of the acute abdomen: gastrointestinal conditionsJulien B C M Puylaert
Department of Radiology, MCH Westeinde Hospital, The Hague, The Netherlands
Radiol Clin North Am 41:1227-42, vii. 2003..This article discusses the advantages of ultrasound in imaging of the acute abdomen, exploring such areas as appendicitis, ileocecal Crohn's disease, infectious ileocolitis and infectious ..
- Ruptured ovarian granulosa cell tumors as a cause of the acute abdomenDubravko Habek
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Health Centre, Bjelovar, Croatia
Arch Gynecol Obstet 267:175-6. 2003A rare case of acute abdomen syndrome due to a ruptured ovarian tumor and a penetrated fallopian tube is described...
- MENTORED PATIENT ORIENTED HEMATOLOGY RESEARCH TRAININGSujit Sheth; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Palliative Oxygen for the Relief of BreathlessnessAmy Abernethy; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results will also advance a long-standing international debate about the role of palliative oxygen for intractable dyspnea and it's funding. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Creation and demonstration of a palliative care research cooperative groupJean S Kutner; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Image-Guided Delivery and Image-Guided Evaluation of Target and Non-Target TissueVikas Kundra; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..