Genomes and Genes
nervous system paraneoplastic syndromes
Summary: Degenerative or inflammatory conditions affecting the central or peripheral nervous system that develop in association with a systemic neoplasm without direct invasion by tumor. They may be associated with circulating antibodies that react with the affected neural tissue. (Intern Med 1996 Dec;35(12):925-9)
Publications172 found, 100 shown here
- Paraneoplastic effects on neurophthalmologic functionDebamalya Ray
Department of Otorhinolaryngology ENT, Blackpool Victoria Hospital, Blackpool, England, U K
Otol Neurotol 28:860-2. 2007..Few studies have focused on patients presenting with paraneoplastic syndrome before a cancer is identified...
- Anti-Hu-associated paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis: analysis of 200 patientsF Graus
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Villaroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Brain 124:1138-48. 2001..Finally, the predictors of mortality and PEM evolution found in the study may be important in the design of future therapeutic protocols, and emphasize the importance of early diagnosis and treatment of the underlying tumour...
- Successful treatment of anti-N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor encephalitis presenting with catatoniaM Schimmel
Department of Paediatrics, Klinikum Augsburg, Stenglinstrasse 2, Augsburg, Germany
Arch Dis Child 94:314-6. 2009..To our knowledge this is the youngest patient with anti-NMDAR encephalitis to have been described to date. We speculate that NMDAR antibodies may be directly involved in the pathogenesis of this disease...
- Paraneoplastic antibodies coexist and predict cancer, not neurological syndromeSean J Pittock
Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Ann Neurol 56:715-9. 2004..The autoantibody profiles observed in patients with paraneoplastic disorders imply the targeting of multiple onconeural antigens and predict the patient's neoplasm, but not a specific neurological syndrome...
- [Imaging neurological complications from bronchogenic carcinoma]V Adjenou
Services de radiologie adultes et neuroradiologie
J Radiol 85:599-609. 2004..The goals of this paper are to describe the clinical signs and to illustrate the imaging features of neurological complications related to bronchogenic carcinoma at conventional radiography, CT and MRI...
- Clinical relevance of non-neuronal auto-antibodies in patients with anti-Hu or anti-Yo paraneoplastic diseasesLucinda Aguirre-Cruz
INSERM U 495 and Fédération de Neurologie Mazarin, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Neurooncol 71:39-41. 2005..In particular, neither the type of underlying cancer, the overall survival, the tumor response to treatment, nor the neurological presentation were related to the serological status...
- Anti-Ri antibody positive opsoclonus-myoclonus in a male patient with breast carcinomaPaul W Wirtz
Department of Neurology, J3R 166, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Neurol 249:1710-2. 2002..These features suggest an immune response against both Nova-1 and Nova-2 antigens throughout the central nervous system...
- Screening for autoantibodies in children with opsoclonus-myoclonus-ataxiaMichael R Pranzatelli
Department of Neurology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, Illinois 62702, USA
Pediatr Neurol 27:384-7. 2002..They underscore the need to search for unique autoantibodies, as well as cellular mechanisms of pediatric paraneoplastic disease...
- T cell response to Hu-D peptides in patients with anti-Hu syndromeA Rousseau
Department of Neurology and INSERM U495, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Neurooncol 71:231-6. 2005..37% (7 out of 19) in patients tested 1 year or more after developing the syndrome (p < 0.01). Thus, the present study suggests a role of cellular immunity during the course of anti-Hu syndrome...
- Recent advance in immunological tests in paraneoplastic neurological syndromeChin Shih Fong
Department of Neurology, Buddhist Dalin Tzu Chi General Hospital, Chia Yi, Taiwan
Acta Neurol Taiwan 14:28-35. 2005..The recent advances in understanding of the autoimmune pathology of these disorders should lead to more effective treatment options...
- Focal paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis presenting as orgasmic epilepsyC E Fadul
Department of Medicine Sections of Hematology Oncology and Neurology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Norris Cotton Cancer Center, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756 0001, USA
J Neurooncol 72:195-8. 2005..To report orgasmic epilepsy as a manifestation of paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis in a patient with small cell lung cancer...
- Paraneoplastic chorea associated with CRMP-5 neuronal antibody and lung carcinomaSteven Vernino
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Ann Neurol 51:625-30. 2002..Four patients improved with chemotherapy, and 2 improved with intravenous methylprednisolone...
- Survival and outcome in 73 anti-Hu positive patients with paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis/sensory neuronopathyPeter Sillevis Smitt
Department of Neuro Oncology, University Hospital Rotterdam, P O Box 5201, 3008 AE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurol 249:745-53. 2002..The delay between onset of symptoms and diagnosis of PEM/SN suggests a window for improving outcome in these patients...
- Anti-glial nuclear antibody: marker of lung cancer-related paraneoplastic neurological syndromesF Graus
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain
J Neuroimmunol 165:166-71. 2005..0006). We conclude that the recognition of AGNA is helpful since this antibody is found in PNS associated with SCLC, particularly LEMS, in which other onconeural antibodies are absent...
- Proteasome antibodies in paraneoplastic cerebellar degenerationAnette Storstein
Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital, N 5021 Bergen, Norway
J Neuroimmunol 165:172-8. 2005..The results suggest that the immune responses in PCD differ from those of PEM/SN, whereas the functional significance of proteasome antibodies in PCD is yet to be determined...
- [Paraneoplastic ataxia associated to anti CV2 antibodies]V Medrano
Unidad de Neurologia, Hospital General de Elda, Elda Alicante, Espana
Rev Neurol 36:131-3. 2003..They are usually associated with the presence of a small cell carcinoma. We report the case of a patient with an epidermoid carcinoma of the lung and paraneoplastic cerebellous ataxia associated with anti CV2 antibodies...
- Paraneoplastic brainstem encephalitis with tetraparesis in a patient with anti-Ri antibodiesY A Rajabally
J Neurol 251:1528-9. 2004
- Value of Hu antibody determinations in the follow-up of paraneoplastic neurologic syndromesA Lladó
Service of Neurology, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, and Institut d Investigació Biomèdica August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Barcelona Spain
Neurology 63:1947-9. 2004..No correlation was observed between Hu-Ab titers and neurologic outcome, tumor evolution, or type of treatment. Serial Hu-Ab determinations are not useful for monitoring the clinical outcome of patients with PNS...
- Clinical analysis of anti-Ma2-associated encephalitisJosep Dalmau
Department of Neurology, 3 W Gates, Division of Neuro Oncology, University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Brain 127:1831-44. 2004..In young male patients, the primary tumour is usually in the testis, in other patients the leading neoplasm is lung cancer...
- A novel frozen brain tissue array technique: immunohistochemical detection of neuronal paraneoplastic autoantibodiesM Kylaniemi
Department of Pathology, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 30:39-45. 2004..The frozen brain array also allows the detection of RNA and DNA targets involved in neurological diseases...
- Complicated paraneoplastic neurological syndromes: a report of two patients with small cell or non-small cell lung cancerYukiko Hiasa
First Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tokushima School of Medicine, 3 Kuramoto cho, Tokushima City, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 106:47-9. 2003..These findings suggest that complicated paraneoplastic neurological syndromes occur in non-SCLC as well as SCLC and that unidentified antineuronal autoantibodies may underlie the pathophysiology...
- Adult paraneoplastic opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome associated with antimitochondrial autoantibodiesF Blaes
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 74:1595-6. 2003
- Anti-Hu antibodies may indicate a positive response to chemotherapy in paraneoplastic syndrome secondary to small cell lung cancerClaire A Douglas
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Marie Curie Centre, Liverpool, UK
Palliat Med 17:638-9. 2003....
- Progressive encephalomyelitis with rigidity: a paraneoplastic presentation of oat cell carcinoma of the lung. Case reportMariana Spitz
Disciplina de Neurologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 62:547-9. 2004..Anti-GAD antibodies were detected in the blood. We detected radiological signs of lung cancer during the follow-up, which proved to be an oat cell carcinoma. The patient died two weeks after the diagnosis of the cancer...
- [Paraneoplastic neurological autoimmune diseases]R Voltz
Institut für Klinische Neuroimmunologie, Klinikum Grosshadern, Munchen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:1743-6. 2004
- Anti-Ri antibody opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome and breast cancer: a case report and a review of the literatureDavid A Weizman
General Surgery and Surgical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Surg Oncol 87:143-5. 2004..Based on the 15 previously reported cases in the literature, there is no uniform treatment option available, and the response to such treatments is mixed...
- [Cloning, expression and purification of neural specific HuD cDNA]Jian Hua Chen
Department of Neurology, PUMC Hospital, CAMS and PUMC, Beijing 100730, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 24:250-3. 2002..To prokaryoticly express and purify HuD protein and its RNA recognition motifs...
- Antibodies to Zic4 in paraneoplastic neurologic disorders and small-cell lung cancerJ Howard Jaster
Neurology 63:1339; author reply 1339. 2004
- [Dysphagia and constipation as clinical manifestations of anti-Hu paraneoplastic syndrome]Helena Guardiola
Med Clin (Barc) 123:398-9. 2004
- The immunopathogenesis of paraneoplastic neurological syndromesIan Sutton
Department of Neurology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TH, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 102:475-86. 2002..This review article examines current concepts in the immunopathogenesis of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes...
- Acute multifocal CNS demyelination as first presentation of systemic malignancyNicole Gonzales
Department of Neurology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Neurology 65:166. 2005
- Isolated frontal disequilibrium as presenting form of anti-Hu paraneoplastic encephalomyelitisYaroslau Compta
Department of Neurology, Institute of Neurosciences, Hospital Clinic i Universitari de Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Mov Disord 22:736-8. 2007..Only mild residual hyperintensities persist on follow-up MRI. A paraneoplastic syndrome should be considered in the differential diagnosis of subacute, fast progressive gait disorders...
- Onconeural versus paraneoplastic antigens?S B Eichmüller
Skin Cancer Unit, German Cancer Research Center Heidelberg and University Hospital Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Curr Med Chem 14:2489-94. 2007..The potential of onconeural antigens in cancer diagnostics and treatment strategies is discussed...
- Anti-Ma and anti-Ta associated paraneoplastic neurological syndromes: 22 newly diagnosed patients and review of previous casesL A Hoffmann
Institute of Clinical Neuroimmunology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 79:767-73. 2008..The most recently described PNS defining reactivity is anti-Ma/anti-Ta. Here we present 22 newly diagnosed patients with anti-Ma or anti-Ta reactivity, refine the associated clinical picture and review all published patients to date...
- High-titer collapsin response-mediating protein-associated (CRMP-5) paraneoplastic optic neuropathy and Vitritis as the only clinical manifestations in a patient with small cell lung carcinomaEdward Margolin
Department of Ophthalmology, Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 28:17-22. 2008..Treatment of the underlying small cell lung cancer coincided with resolution of the visual abnormalities and a dramatic decrease in the CRMP-5 titer...
- [Paraneoplastic retinopathy]Hiroshi Oguro
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 97:1790-5. 2008
- [Recent topics on paraneoplastic neurological syndromes: anti-VGKC antibodies]Osamu Watanabe
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 97:1838-43. 2008
- [Recent topics on paraneoplastic neurological syndromes: anti-glycolipid antibodies]Tatsuro Muto
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 97:1844-50. 2008
- Ulip/CRMP proteins are recognized by autoantibodies in paraneoplastic neurological syndromesJ Honnorat
INSERM U 433, Hopital Neurologique, Lyon, France
Eur J Neurosci 11:4226-32. 1999..The identification of the Ulip/CRMP proteins as recognized by anti-CV2 sera should provide new insights into the role of Ulip/CRMPs in oligodendrocytes and into pathophysiology of PND...
- [Pathology, physiopathology, diagnosis of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes and the treatment strategy (discussion)]Takashi Inuzuka
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 97:1855-66. 2008
- Paraneoplastic chronic demyelinating neuropathy and Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome associated with multiple anti-neural antibodies and small-cell lung cancerCsilla Rozsa
Jahn Ferenc Teaching Hospital, Budapest
Ideggyogy Sz 61:325-8. 2008..This is the first report of paraneoplastic CIDP and LEMS associated with anti-Hu, anti-VGCC and SCLC...
- cDNA expression library screening for identification of novel onconeural antigensA Knudsen
Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Acta Neurol Scand Suppl 183:73-4. 2006..By using patient sera containing antibodies, the antigens of interest can be isolated and further characterized...
- An immunoprecipitation assay for the detection of onconeural antibodiesS E Monstad
Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, Norway
Acta Neurol Scand Suppl 183:71-2. 2006..RESULT AND CONCLUSION: This immunoprecipitation technique is more sensitive in detecting onconeural antibodies than immunohistochemistry and immune blots...
- [Opsoclonus-myoclonus: paraneoplastic syndrome associated with renal adenocarcinoma]M J Gimeno Campos
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 53:54-5. 2006
- Therapeutic total plasma exchange in a child with neuroblastoma-related anti-Hu syndromeDannis G van Vuurden
Department of Pediatrics, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Nephrol 20:1655-6. 2005..TPE proved to be a safe and effective treatment option in neuroblastoma-related anti-Hu syndrome in a child...
- [A case of combined paraneoplastic neurological syndrome, with Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome manifesting as severe respiratory failure, and anti-Hu syndrome]M Sugie
Department of Neurology, Nara Prefectural Nara Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 41:418-22. 2001..Various clinical manifestations including respiratory failure at the onset could be best explained by the combination of LEMS and anti-Hu syndrome in this case...
- Adie's pupils in paraneoplastic ganglionopathy with ANNA-1Joseph V Campellone
Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, Cooper University Hospital, 3 Cooper Plaza, Suite 320, Camden, NJ 08103, USA
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 108:712-4. 2006..The authors describe a patient with ANNA-1 associated paraneoplastic sensory neuronopathy and bilateral Adie's pupils...
- Long-term neurobehavioral outcomes in children with neuroblastoma and opsoclonus-myoclonus-ataxia syndrome: relationship to MRI findings and anti-neuronal antibodiesK Hayward
Department of Pediatrics, the Pediatric Clinical Research Center, University of California San Francisco, USA
J Pediatr 139:552-9. 2001..Late cerebellar atrophy appears to be a common finding regardless of neurologic outcome, whereas antineuronal immune reactivity does not appear to be a long-term feature of OMA...
- [Lung cancer and paraneoplastic syndromes]B Jurado Gamez
Unidad de Neumología, Area Sanitaria Norte, Cordoba
An Med Interna 18:440-6. 2001..PNS management requires specific measures, because in some cases, it may compromise the patient life. Neurological and endocrinological PNS associated to lung cancer are revised, and diagnosis and treatment of them are updated...
- Phenotypic and neuropathologic heterogeneity of anti-Hu antibody-related paraneoplastic syndrome presenting with progressive dysautonomia: report of two casesA S Winkler
Regional Movement Disorders and Autonomic Unit, King's College Hospital, London, UK
Clin Auton Res 11:115-8. 2001..These two cases illustrate the association of early dysautonomia with HuAb-related paraneoplastic syndrome and the variations of clinical, neuropathologic, and serologic findings in these types of cases...
- Paraneoplastic neurologic syndrome associated with small breast cancer: diagnostic value of FDG-PET for detection of underlying malignancyYu ichiro Kashima
Third Department of Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
Intern Med 44:522-3. 2005
- Functional characterisation of autoantibodies from patients with pediatric opsoclonus-myoclonus-syndromeMartina Korfei
Department of Neurology, Am Steg 14, Justus Liebig University, D 35385 Giessen, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 170:150-7. 2005..These findings indicate that surface-binding autoantibodies are present in OMS patients and these autoantibodies cause inhibition of cell proliferation and induce apoptosis...
- Qualitative evidence of anti-Ri specific intrathecal antibody synthesis and quantification of anti-Ri antibodies in serial samples from a patient with anti-Ri syndromeO Stich
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:282-3. 2006
- Opsoclonus-myoclonus-ataxia syndrome in neuroblastoma: clinical outcome and antineuronal antibodies-a report from the Children's Cancer Group StudyE Rudnick
Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Med Pediatr Oncol 36:612-22. 2001..Favorable disease stage correlates with a higher risk for development of neurologic sequelae. The role of anti-neuronal antibodies in late sequelae of OMA needs further clarification...
- [The value of specific neuronal anti-Hu antibody in the early diagnosis of small cell lung cancer]Gang Wang
Laboratory of Neurophysiology, Department of Physiology, Anhui Medical University, Hefei 230032, China
Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 25:732-5. 2002..To evaluate the value of specific neuronal anti-Hu antibody in the early diagnosis of small cell lung cancer (SCLC)...
- [Progressive dysautonomia as initial manifestation of anti-Hu antibody-related syndrome]S Palao
Servicio de Neurología Hospital Ramón y Cajal Madrid, Spain
Neurologia 22:899-902. 2007The anti-Hu antibody are associated with central nervous system paraneoplastic syndromes such as sensory neuropathy, cerebellar ataxia or limbic encephalitis...
- Paraneoplastic syndromes affecting the central nervous systemJ B Posner
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Annu Rev Med 48:157-66. 1997..In other disorders, such as paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration or paraneoplastic sensory neuronopathy, neither removal of the autoantibody nor treatment of the cancer is effective...
- Paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous systemJ B Posner
Department of Neurology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Clin Chem Lab Med 38:117-22. 2000..Low titers of antibody are associated with a better prognosis of the cancer. Experimental animals immunized against a paraneoplastic antigen are partially protected against tumors that express that antigen...
- Paraneoplastic syndromesJ B Posner
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Department of Neurology, New York, NY 10021, USA
Curr Opin Neurol 10:471-6. 1997Most nervous system paraneoplastic syndromes probably result from an immune attack against antigens normally expressed only in the nervous system but aberrantly expressed in a cancer...
- PET scan in clinically suspected paraneoplastic neurological syndromes: a 6-year prospective study in a regional neuroscience unitM Hadjivassiliou
Department of Neurology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, NHS Trust, Sheffield, UK
Acta Neurol Scand 119:186-93. 2009..The role of PET in the diagnosis of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes (PNS) has previously been reported in retrospective studies, from specialized neuro-oncology units, often selecting patients with positive paraneoplastic antibodies...
- Paraneoplastic papilloedema in a child with neuroblastomaJulius Xavier Scott
Department of Child Health Unit III, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632 004, India
Indian J Cancer 42:102-3. 2005..We report for the first time a case of bilateral papilloedema in a child with neuroblastoma in the absence of intracranial disease and hypertension...
- The role of [18F]fluoro-2-deoxyglucose-PET scanning in the diagnosis of paraneoplastic neurological disordersJ H Rees
National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK
Brain 124:2223-31. 2001..False positives and false negatives do occur, but at a sufficiently low frequency to justify the clinical usefulness of this technique...
- Ocular oscillations induced by shifts of the direction and depth of visual fixationR Bhidayasiri
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Ann Neurol 49:24-8. 2001..The probable mechanism is that pontine omnipause neurons, which normally gate saccades, are inhibited during the sustained vergence movement that follows the saccadic component of the response to the MÃ¼ller paradigm...
- [Diagnostic tests: Anti-Purkinje cell antibody (Anti-Yo/type 1 antibody)]Keiko Tanaka
Department of Neurology, Brain Research Institute, Niigata University
Nihon Rinsho 63:479-82. 2005
- Onco-neural antibodies and tumour type determine survival and neurological symptoms in paraneoplastic neurological syndromes with Hu or CV2/CRMP5 antibodiesJ Honnorat
Centre de Référence Maladies Rares Syndromes Neurologiques Paranéoplasiques, Hospices Civils de Lyon, Hopital Neurologique, Bron, France
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:412-6. 2009..However, it is not clear whether these antibodies are associated with specific neurological symptoms or are only markers of anti-cancer immune reaction...
- Diagnostic and pathogenic significance of glutamate receptor autoantibodiesDavid Pleasure
Department of Neurology, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Arch Neurol 65:589-92. 2008..Passive transfer of glutamate receptor autoantibodies from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus or paraneoplastic encephalopathy suggests that glutamate receptor autoantibodies can actively contribute to neurologic dysfunction...
- Paraneoplastic neurological syndrome and polyglandular autoimmune syndrome type 2 in a case of small cell lung cancerS Watanabe
Department of Medicine II, Niigata University Medical and Dental Hospital, Niigata 951 8520, Japan
Thorax 63:1118-9. 2008..Cross reactivity of autoantibodies may have contributed to the complicated clinical picture of this patient...
- Paraneoplastic neurological syndromes: a reviewThomas B Toothaker
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY 10021, USA
Neurologist 15:21-33. 2009..PNS are believed to result from an autoimmune attack of normal neuronal tissue, spurred by similar neuronal antigens ectopically expressed by tumor cells...
- Metaiodobenzylguanidine total-body scintigraphy required for revealing occult neuroblastoma in opsoclonus-myoclonus syndromeJoost F Swart
Reiner de Graaf Gasthuis, Department of Paediactrics, Delft, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 161:255-8. 2002..I(123)]MIBG uptake was sufficient for [I(131)]MIBG therapy. The response of the tumour to this therapy was favourable. The neurological symptoms of the patient slightly improved under steroid treatment...
- Disturbance in the serum IgG subclass distribution in patients with anti-Hu positive paraneoplastic neurological syndromesF Blaes
Department of Neurology, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Eur J Neurol 9:369-72. 2002..05). Our study demonstrates a disturbance in the IgG subclass distribution in PNS patients which is partly different from SCLC patients. The isotype regulation of the anti-Hu antibody seems to be independent from this phenomenon...
- [A patient with paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis induced by breast cancer presenting with hypersomnia]Nobutoshi Kawamura
Department of Neurology, Neurological Institute, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 45:575-8. 2005..Since anti-tumor therapy successfully ameliorated her neurologic symptoms, cell-mediated immunity against a common tumor and neuronal antigens rather than hormonal immunity may have played a role in the development of her PLE...
- [An autopsied case of paraneoplastic neurologic syndrome (limbic encephalitis, cerebellar degeneration, and pseudohypertrophy in the inferior olivary nuclei) associated with T cell lymphoma]Kenji Ishihara
Department of Neurology, Ushioda General Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 45:583-9. 2005..Lesions in the central nervous system in paraneoplastic neurological syndromes may follow a course independent of the original malignant disease...
- Hodgkin's disease preceded by unique neurological symptomsM Shimamura
Department of Neurology and Strokology, Kumamoto City Hospital
Intern Med 40:819-21. 2001..The remaining neurologic deficits responded to chemotherapy and radiotherapy. The neurological symptoms were considered as a paraneoplastic syndrome of HD...
- [Paraneoplastic neurological syndromes]Jean Christophe Antoine
Service de Neurologie, Hopital Bellevue, CHU, Saint Etienne 02
Presse Med 36:1418-26. 2007..In patients with one of these syndromes, the best treatment of the neurological disease is often the diagnosis and early treatment of the cancer...
- Index of suspicionChristine R Kincaid
West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV, USA
Pediatr Rev 27:307-13. 2006
- Management of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes: report of an EFNS Task ForceC A Vedeler
Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Eur J Neurol 13:682-90. 2006..Immune therapy usually has no or modest effect on the CNS syndromes, whereas such therapy is beneficial for PNS affecting the neuromuscular junction. Symptomatic therapy should be offered to all patients with PNS...
- [Metastatic and paraneoplastic lesions of the optic nerve]J Arruga
Servei d Oftalmologia, , , Universitat de Barcelona, Feixa Llarga, s n E 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona
Rev Neurol 31:1256-8. 2000..We also review and discuss the role of malignant lymphoreticular disorders, solid tumors and meningeal carcinomatosis in relation to the changes in the optic nerve caused by these conditions...
- Sequence-specific RNA binding by a Nova KH domain: implications for paraneoplastic disease and the fragile X syndromeH A Lewis
Laboratories of Molecular Biophysics, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cell 100:323-32. 2000..Sequence conservation suggests that fragile X mental retardation results from perturbation of RNA binding by the FMR1 protein...
- Hu antigen specificities of ANNA-I autoantibodies in paraneoplastic neurological diseaseP H King
Department of Neurology, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35295, USA
J Autoimmun 13:435-43. 1999..Furthermore, these results suggest that ELISA analysis of a single neural-specific Hu antigen is sufficient for serological screening in PEM/SSN...
- Paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis associated with pancreatic tumor and anti-GAD antibodiesL Hernández-Echebarría
Neurology Service, Hospital de Leon, Leon, Spain
Neurology 66:450-1. 2006
- Diagnosis and current treatment of neurological paraneoplastic syndromesMaría José Molina-Garrido
Department of Oncology General Universitary Hospital Elche, Alicante Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 8:796-801. 2006..The aim of this review is to analyze the variety of NPS and describe the findings concerning autoimmunity and treatments used at present...
- Clinical and radiological features of brain neurotoxicity caused by antitumor and immunosuppressant treatmentsAlessandra Erbetta
Department of Neuro Oncology, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Neurologico C Besta, Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 29:131-7. 2008..MRI has a key role in differential diagnosis. Close interaction between the neurologist, the oncologist and the neuroradiologist leads to the optimal management of patients...
- Delayed, recurrent opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome responding to plasmapheresisMichael B Armstrong
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Pediatr Neurol 33:365-7. 2005..After being slowly weaned off all therapy, he has been symptom-free now for over 3 years. Armstrong MB, Robertson PL, Castle VP. Delayed, recurrent opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome responding to plasmapheresis...
- Demyelination in the brain as a paraneoplastic disorder: candidates include some cases of multiple sclerosisJ H Jaster
Neuroepidemiology 25:212. 2005
- Rituximab (anti-CD20) adjunctive therapy for opsoclonus-myoclonus syndromeMichael R Pranzatelli
National Pediatric Myoclonus Center, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, IL, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 28:585-93. 2006..To determine if rituximab, an anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody, reduces cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) B-cell expansion in opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome (OMS) and results in clinical improvement...
- [Paraneoplasic neurologic syndromes]María Elena Erro Aguirre
Servicio de Neurología Hospital de Navarra, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 125:543-7. 2005
- Opsoclonus myoclonus syndrome in neuroblastoma a report from a workshop on the dancing eyes syndrome at the advances in neuroblastoma meeting in Genoa, Italy, 2004Katherine K Matthay
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Cancer Lett 228:275-82. 2005....
- FDG-PET improves tumour detection in patients with paraneoplastic neurological syndromesS Younes-Mhenni
Neurology B, Hôpital Pierre Wertheimer, Universite Claude Bernard, Lyon, France
Brain 127:2331-8. 2004....
- [Immune-mediated neuromyotonia (Isaacs' syndrome)--clinical aspects and pathomechanism]Kimiyoshi Arimura
Department of Neurology and Geriatrics, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8544, Japan
Brain Nerve 62:401-10. 2010..The differences in the pathomechanism of Isaacs' syndrome and limbic encephalitis are still unclear...
- [Intrathecal glutamate receptor antibodies in a patient with elderly-onset refractory epilepsy]Yuji Tanaka
First Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Gifu University, Department of Neurology, Gifu Prefectural Gifu Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 43:345-9. 2003..The glutamate receptor antibodies may play a role in late-onset refractory epilepsy, and may be an autoimmune factor in paraneoplstic neurologic syndrome presenting with epilepsy...
- Paraneoplastic syndromes associated with bronchogenic carcinomaRobert B Gerber
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Occupational Medicine, Saint Louis University, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Clin Chest Med 23:257-64. 2002..Unraveling the mechanisms that produce these syndromes will lead to insight into tumor biology that will be translated into novel approaches for early detection and therapy...
- Orthostatic hypotension secondary to CRMP-5 paraneoplastic autonomic neuropathyAndrew J Neal
Department of Neurology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Grattan Street, Parkville, Melbourne, VIC 3052, Australia Electronic address
J Clin Neurosci 21:885-6. 2014..Given the poor prognosis of paraneoplastic autonomic dysfunction, it is important to accurately diagnose the cause of orthostatic hypotension occurring on a background of malignancy...
- CSF B-cell expansion in opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome: a biomarker of disease activityMichael R Pranzatelli
Department of Neurology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, Illinois 62794 9643, USA
Mov Disord 19:770-7. 2004..Immunophenotyping of CSF lymphocytes by flow cytometry yields valuable clinical information missed by routine studies and allows crucial treatment decisions to be made rapidly...
- Paraneoplastic neurologic disorders: windows into neuronal function and tumor immunityRobert B Darnell
Department of Molecular Neuro Oncology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockefeller University, Box 226, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021 6399, USA
Arch Neurol 61:30-2. 2004
- ANNA-2: an antibody associated with paraneoplastic opsoclonus in a patient with large-cell carcinoma of the lung with neuroendocrine features--correlation of clinical improvement with tumor responseRodrigo Erlich
Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 4940 Eastern Ave, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Cancer Invest 22:257-61. 2004..The patient had an unexpectedly dramatic resolution of the neurologic dysfunction after receiving antineoplastic treatment. Symptom improvement paralleled a progressive decline of serum ANNA-2 antibody titers to undetectable levels...
- Anti-N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor encephalitis associated with an ovarian teratoma in an adolescent femaleAaron P Lesher
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Pediatr Surg 45:1550-3. 2010..The clinical presentation, diagnosis, and surgical management of the disease, as well as a review of the literature, are included...
- Motor neuronopathy associated with adenocarcinoma of esophagusB A Khealani
Section of Neurology, Department of Medicine, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 54:165-6. 2004
- Peptides derived from the onconeural HuD protein can elicit cytotoxic responses in HHD mouse and humanAnne Plonquet
EA 2348, Universite Paris XII, Immunologie Biologique, Hopital Henri Mondor, AP HP, 94010 Creteil, France
J Neuroimmunol 142:93-100. 2003....
- [Diagnosis and management of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes]Etsuji Saji
Department of Neurology, Brain Research Institute, Niigata University, 757 Asahimachi 1, Chuo Ku, Niigata 951 8585, Japan
Brain Nerve 62:319-30. 2010..In this review, we discuss the diagnostic criteria and management of PNS based on the PNS Euronetwork and other reports...
- [Pathogenesis of paraneoplastic neurological syndromes]Keiko Tanaka
Department of Neurology, Kanazawa Medical University, 1 1 Uchinada, Kahoku gun, Ishikawa 920 0293, Japan
Brain Nerve 62:309-18. 2010..Antigen-specific CTL-mediated cell death has been observed in cancer immunology and PNS appears to be a potential candidates for a future CTL-mediated neurological disease model...
- [Molecular mechanism of paraneoplastic neurological syndrome]Takashi Inuzuka
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 40:204-9. 2003
- Experimental Dysautonomia: Pathogenesis and TreatmentSteven Vernino; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Paraneoplastic Disorders of CNS: Autoantigen ProfilingJosep Dalmau; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- New Clinical Approaches to Creutzfeldt-Jakob DiseaseMichael Geschwind; Fiscal Year: 2007..Geschwind's training in behavioral neurology and neuroscience, thereby helping him to design and implement future clinical treatment studies for human prion disease and other dementias. ..
- NEUROSCIENCE OF HIV CONFERENCEJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2002..Dr. Brian Wigdahl, international co-chair of the ISNV, is a co-investigator on this grant. ..
- HIV Neuroprotection WorkshopJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed conference is the first of its kind to highlight neuroprotection in HIV CNS and PNS disorders. By coupling this meeting with the International Symposium on Neurovirology this synergy can be exploited. ..
- NEUROLOGICAL PARANEOPLASTIC SYNDROMESJerome Posner; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition to routine evaluation, antibody studies and haplotyping will be performed and the patients will be followed serially during treatment. ..
- JCV Virus Expression in Oropharynx and HIVJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2004..This line of investigation would add credence to an oropharyngeal mechanism of JCV transmission and may ultimately lead to the clinical identification of an acute illness attributable to this pathogen. ..
- Immunity to brain Ma proteins: A remote effect of cancerJosep Dalmau; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- MR PREDICTORS OF RESPONSE TO HAART IN HIV DEMENTIAJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2004..It will also open novel avenues for exploring the differential sensitivities of these pathways to HAART, and suggest unique therapeutic options. ..
- Aberrant VEGF RNA Stability in Amyotrophic Lateral SclerosisPeter King; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..