Genomes and Genes
Summary: Neoplasms of the intracranial components of the central nervous system, including the cerebral hemispheres, basal ganglia, hypothalamus, thalamus, brain stem, and cerebellum. Brain neoplasms are subdivided into primary (originating from brain tissue) and secondary (i.e., metastatic) forms. Primary neoplasms are subdivided into benign and malignant forms. In general, brain tumors may also be classified by age of onset, histologic type, or presenting location in the brain.
Publications312 found, 100 shown here
- A hierarchy of self-renewing tumor-initiating cell types in glioblastomaRuihuan Chen
Department of Tumor Biology and Angiogenesis, Genentech Inc, San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Cancer Cell 17:362-75. 2010....
- Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastomaRoger Stupp
Multidisciplinary Oncology Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 352:987-96. 2005..In this trial we compared radiotherapy alone with radiotherapy plus temozolomide, given concomitantly with and after radiotherapy, in terms of efficacy and safety...
- Integrated genomic analysis identifies clinically relevant subtypes of glioblastoma characterized by abnormalities in PDGFRA, IDH1, EGFR, and NF1Roel G W Verhaak
The Eli and Edythe L Broad Institute of Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cancer Cell 17:98-110. 2010..We provide a framework that unifies transcriptomic and genomic dimensions for GBM molecular stratification with important implications for future studies...
- Identification of human brain tumour initiating cellsSheila K Singh
The Arthur and Sonia Labatt Brain Tumor Research Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, M5G 1X8, Canada
Nature 432:396-401. 2004....
- Glioma stem cells promote radioresistance by preferential activation of the DNA damage responseShideng Bao
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Nature 444:756-60. 2006..Targeting DNA damage checkpoint response in cancer stem cells may overcome this radioresistance and provide a therapeutic model for malignant brain cancers...
- Effects of radiotherapy with concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide versus radiotherapy alone on survival in glioblastoma in a randomised phase III study: 5-year analysis of the EORTC-NCIC trialRoger Stupp
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Lancet Oncol 10:459-66. 2009..We report the final results with a median follow-up of more than 5 years...
- An integrated genomic analysis of human glioblastoma multiformeD Williams Parsons
Ludwig Center for Cancer Genetics and Therapeutics, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute at Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Science 321:1807-12. 2008..These studies demonstrate the value of unbiased genomic analyses in the characterization of human brain cancer and identify a potentially useful genetic alteration for the classification and targeted therapy of GBMs...
- Malignant gliomas in adultsPatrick Y Wen
Division of Neuro Oncology, Department of Neurology, Dana Farber corrected Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 359:492-507. 2008
- Identification of a cancer stem cell in human brain tumorsSheila K Singh
The Arthur and Sonia Labatt Brain Tumour Research Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Cancer Res 63:5821-8. 2003..The identification of a BTSC provides a powerful tool to investigate the tumorigenic process in the central nervous system and to develop therapies targeted to the BTSC...
- Molecular subclasses of high-grade glioma predict prognosis, delineate a pattern of disease progression, and resemble stages in neurogenesisHeidi S Phillips
Department of Tumor Biology and Angiogenesis, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Cancer Cell 9:157-73. 2006..A robust two-gene prognostic model utilizing PTEN and DLL3 expression suggests that Akt and Notch signaling are hallmarks of poor prognosis versus better prognosis gliomas, respectively...
- IDH1 and IDH2 mutations in gliomasHai Yan
Department of Pathology, Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
N Engl J Med 360:765-73. 2009....
- MGMT gene silencing and benefit from temozolomide in glioblastomaMonika E Hegi
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 352:997-1003. 2005....
- An embryonic stem cell-like gene expression signature in poorly differentiated aggressive human tumorsIttai Ben-Porath
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Nat Genet 40:499-507. 2008....
- Identification of a CpG island methylator phenotype that defines a distinct subgroup of gliomaHoutan Noushmehr
USC Epigenome Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Cancer Cell 17:510-22. 2010..Patients with G-CIMP tumors are younger at the time of diagnosis and experience significantly improved outcome. These findings identify G-CIMP as a distinct subset of human gliomas on molecular and clinical grounds...
- Malignant astrocytic glioma: genetics, biology, and paths to treatmentFrank B Furnari
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Genes Dev 21:2683-710. 2007..This progress is fueling new opportunities for understanding the fundamental basis for development of this devastating disease and also novel therapies that, for the first time, portend meaningful clinical responses...
- Isolation and characterization of tumorigenic, stem-like neural precursors from human glioblastomaRossella Galli
Stem Cell Research Institute and Laboratory of Molecular Diagnostics, H S Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Cancer Res 64:7011-21. 2004..Thus, cells possessing all of the characteristics expected from tumor neural stem cells seem to be involved in the growth and recurrence of adult human glioblastomas multiforme...
- The transcriptional network for mesenchymal transformation of brain tumoursMaria Stella Carro
Institute for Cancer Genetics, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 463:318-25. 2010..These results show that the activation of a small regulatory module is necessary and sufficient to initiate and maintain an aberrant phenotypic state in cancer cells...
- Emerging insights into the molecular and cellular basis of glioblastomaGavin P Dunn
Department of Neurosurgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Genes Dev 26:756-84. 2012..These studies provide the emerging view that "glioblastoma" represents several histologically similar yet molecularly heterogeneous diseases, which influences taxonomic classification systems, prognosis, and therapeutic decisions...
- PTEN, a putative protein tyrosine phosphatase gene mutated in human brain, breast, and prostate cancerJ Li
Department of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 630 West 168 Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Science 275:1943-7. 1997..These homologies suggest that PTEN may suppress tumor cell growth by antagonizing protein tyrosine kinases and may regulate tumor cell invasion and metastasis through interactions at focal adhesions...
- Updated response assessment criteria for high-grade gliomas: response assessment in neuro-oncology working groupPatrick Y Wen
Center for Neuro Oncology, Dana Farber Brigham and Women s Cancer Center, SW430D, 44 Binney St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:1963-72. 2010..In this proposal, we present the recommendations for updated response criteria for high-grade gliomas...
- Genes that mediate breast cancer metastasis to the brainPaula D Bos
Cancer Biology and Genetics Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nature 459:1005-9. 2009..This co-option of a brain sialyltransferase highlights the role of cell-surface glycosylation in organ-specific metastatic interactions...
- Cancer-associated IDH1 mutations produce 2-hydroxyglutarateLenny Dang
Agios Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nature 462:739-44. 2009..These data demonstrate that the IDH1 mutations result in production of the onco-metabolite 2HG, and indicate that the excess 2HG which accumulates in vivo contributes to the formation and malignant progression of gliomas...
- A perivascular niche for brain tumor stem cellsChristopher Calabrese
Department of Developmental Neurobiology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 North Lauderdale Street, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Cancer Cell 11:69-82. 2007..We propose that brain CSCs are maintained within vascular niches that are important targets for therapeutic approaches...
- Malignant glioma: lessons from genomics, mouse models, and stem cellsJian Chen
Department of Developmental Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Cell 149:36-47. 2012....
- AZD2171, a pan-VEGF receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, normalizes tumor vasculature and alleviates edema in glioblastoma patientsTracy T Batchelor
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cancer Cell 11:83-95. 2007..Our study provides insight into different mechanisms of action of this class of drugs in recurrent glioblastoma patients and suggests that the timing of combination therapy may be critical for optimizing activity against this tumor...
- Bone morphogenetic proteins inhibit the tumorigenic potential of human brain tumour-initiating cellsS G M Piccirillo
Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, University of Milan Bicocca, 20126 Milan, Italy
Nature 444:761-5. 2006....
- Bevacizumab alone and in combination with irinotecan in recurrent glioblastomaHenry S Friedman
Brain Tumor Center, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:4733-40. 2009..We evaluated the efficacy of bevacizumab, alone and in combination with irinotecan, in patients with recurrent glioblastoma in a phase II, multicenter, open-label, noncomparative trial...
- MicroRNA-21 is an antiapoptotic factor in human glioblastoma cellsJennifer A Chan
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer Res 65:6029-33. 2005..Our data suggest that aberrantly expressed miR-21 may contribute to the malignant phenotype by blocking expression of critical apoptosis-related genes...
- HIF1alpha induces the recruitment of bone marrow-derived vascular modulatory cells to regulate tumor angiogenesis and invasionRose Du
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cancer Cell 13:206-20. 2008..VEGF also directly regulates tumor cell invasiveness. When VEGF activity is impaired, tumor cells invade deep into the brain in the perivascular compartment...
- Population-based studies on incidence, survival rates, and genetic alterations in astrocytic and oligodendroglial gliomasHiroko Ohgaki
Pathology Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer HO, F 69372, Lyon, France
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 64:479-89. 2005..G:C-->A:T mutations at CpG sites were more frequent in secondary than primary glioblastomas, suggesting that the acquisition of TP53 mutations in these glioblastoma subtypes may occur through different mechanisms...
- Beyond aerobic glycolysis: transformed cells can engage in glutamine metabolism that exceeds the requirement for protein and nucleotide synthesisRalph J DeBerardinis
Department of Cancer Biology, Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, Room 450, BRB II III, 421 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6160, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19345-50. 2007..Rather, glutamine metabolism provides a carbon source that facilitates the cell's ability to use glucose-derived carbon and TCA cycle intermediates as biosynthetic precursors...
- Exciting new advances in neuro-oncology: the avenue to a cure for malignant gliomaErwin G Van Meir
Department of Neurosurgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 60:166-93. 2010....
- Genetic pathways to glioblastoma: a population-based studyHiroko Ohgaki
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Cancer Res 64:6892-9. 2004..0208). This suggests that the acquisition of TP53 mutations in these glioblastoma subtypes occurs through different mechanisms...
- MicroRNA-34a inhibits glioblastoma growth by targeting multiple oncogenesYunqing Li
Departments of Microbiology, Neurology and Pathology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Cancer Res 69:7569-76. 2009..They show that miR-34a suppresses brain tumor growth by targeting c-Met and Notch. The results also suggest that miR-34a could serve as a potential therapeutic agent for brain tumors...
- Mosaic amplification of multiple receptor tyrosine kinase genes in glioblastomaMatija Snuderl
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cancer Cell 20:810-7. 2011..The stable coexistence of different clones within the same tumor will have important clinical implications for tumor resistance to targeted therapies...
- Recursive partitioning analysis (RPA) of prognostic factors in three Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) brain metastases trialsL Gaspar
Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 37:745-51. 1997....
- VEGF inhibits tumor cell invasion and mesenchymal transition through a MET/VEGFR2 complexKan V Lu
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, Helen Diller Family Cancer Research Center, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cancer Cell 22:21-35. 2012..Inhibition of MET in GBM mouse models blocks mesenchymal transition and invasion provoked by VEGF ablation, resulting in substantial survival benefit...
- Chemoresistance of glioblastoma cancer stem cells--much more complex than expectedDagmar Beier
Department of Neurology, RWTH Aachen, Medical School, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Mol Cancer 10:128. 2011..Thus, the interaction of CSC and chemotherapy is more complex than may be expected and it is necessary to consider these factors in order to overcome chemoresistance in the patient...
- Genetic pathways to primary and secondary glioblastomaHiroko Ohgaki
International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Am J Pathol 170:1445-53. 2007..This has significant implications, particularly for the development of novel, targeted therapies, as discussed in this review...
- Heterogeneous blood-tumor barrier permeability determines drug efficacy in experimental brain metastases of breast cancerPaul R Lockman
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Cancer Biology Center, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, Texas 79106, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:5664-78. 2010..Herein, we answer this question by measuring BTB passive integrity, chemotherapeutic drug uptake, and anticancer efficacy in vivo in two breast cancer models that metastasize preferentially to brain...
- Automated network analysis identifies core pathways in glioblastomaEthan Cerami
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e8918. 2010..A central challenge in large-scale genome projects, such as the TCGA GBM project, is the ability to distinguish cancer-causing "driver" mutations from passively selected "passenger" mutations...
- microRNA-7 inhibits the epidermal growth factor receptor and the Akt pathway and is down-regulated in glioblastomaBenjamin Kefas
Division of Neuro Oncology, Neurology Department, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Cancer Res 68:3566-72. 2008..This study establishes miR-7 as a regulator of major cancer pathways and suggests that it has therapeutic potential for glioblastoma...
- Temozolomide chemotherapy alone versus radiotherapy alone for malignant astrocytoma in the elderly: the NOA-08 randomised, phase 3 trialWolfgang Wick
Department of Neuro Oncology, National Centre for Tumour Diseases, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Lancet Oncol 13:707-15. 2012..We did a randomised trial to compare the efficacy and safety of dose-dense temozolomide alone versus radiotherapy alone in elderly patients with anaplastic astrocytoma or glioblastoma...
- Human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of gliomasAkira Nakamizo
Department of Neurosurgery, Brain Tumor Center, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Res 65:3307-18. 2005....
- Whole brain radiation therapy with or without stereotactic radiosurgery boost for patients with one to three brain metastases: phase III results of the RTOG 9508 randomised trialDavid W Andrews
Department of Neurosurgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Lancet 363:1665-72. 2004..We aimed to assess whether stereotactic radiosurgery provided any therapeutic benefit in a randomised multi-institutional trial directed by the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG)...
- MiR-195, miR-196b, miR-181c, miR-21 expression levels and O-6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase methylation status are associated with clinical outcome in glioblastoma patientsRadek Lakomy
Department of Comprehensive Cancer Care, Masaryk Memorial Cancer Institute, Brno, Czech Republic
Cancer Sci 102:2186-90. 2011..Above all, we suggest that the combination of miR-181c and miR-21 could be a very sensitive and specific test to identify patients at high risk of early progression after surgery...
- Type and frequency of IDH1 and IDH2 mutations are related to astrocytic and oligodendroglial differentiation and age: a study of 1,010 diffuse gliomasChristian Hartmann
Department of Neuropathology, Institute of Pathology, Ruprecht Karls Universitat Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 220 221, Heidelberg, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 118:469-74. 2009..In addition, patients with anaplastic glioma harboring IDH1 mutations were on average 6 years younger than those without these alterations...
- Adjuvant whole-brain radiotherapy versus observation after radiosurgery or surgical resection of one to three cerebral metastases: results of the EORTC 22952-26001 studyMartin Kocher
University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Clin Oncol 29:134-41. 2011..This European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer phase III trial assesses whether adjuvant whole-brain radiotherapy (WBRT) increases the duration of functional independence after surgery or radiosurgery of brain metastases...
- Targeting brain cancer: advances in the molecular pathology of malignant glioma and medulloblastomaJason T Huse
Departments of Pathology, 408 East 69th Street Z1304, New York, NY 10065, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 10:319-31. 2010..This Review summarizes these developments in the context of the evolving notion of molecular pathology and discusses the implications that this work has on the design of new treatment regimens...
- Hypoxia-inducible factors regulate tumorigenic capacity of glioma stem cellsZhizhong Li
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Cancer Cell 15:501-13. 2009..Our results demonstrate that GSCs differentially respond to hypoxia with distinct HIF induction patterns, and HIF2alpha might represent a promising target for antiglioblastoma therapies...
- Cost of migration: invasion of malignant gliomas and implications for treatmentA Giese
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
J Clin Oncol 21:1624-36. 2003....
- miR-124 and miR-137 inhibit proliferation of glioblastoma multiforme cells and induce differentiation of brain tumor stem cellsJoachim Silber
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
BMC Med 6:14. 2008..In this study, we investigated the role of microRNAs in regulating the differentiation and proliferation of neural stem cells and glioblastoma-multiforme tumor cells...
- Interaction between lung cancer cells and astrocytes via specific inflammatory cytokines in the microenvironment of brain metastasisToshihiro Seike
Laboratory of Pathophysiology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Clin Exp Metastasis 28:13-25. 2011..These results suggest that tumor cells and astrocytes stimulate each other and these mutual relationships may be important to understand how lung cancer cells metastasize and develop in the brain...
- Possible involvement of the M2 anti-inflammatory macrophage phenotype in growth of human gliomasY Komohara
Department of Cell Pathology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
J Pathol 216:15-24. 2008..Evaluation of the proportion of M2 microglia/macrophages and M-CSF expression in tumour tissue would be useful for assessment of microglia/macrophage proliferative activity and the prognosis of patients with gliomas...
- Glioblastoma subclasses can be defined by activity among signal transduction pathways and associated genomic alterationsCameron Brennan
Department of Neurosurgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e7752. 2009..From a practical and therapeutic standpoint, classifying GBMs by signal transduction pathway activation and by mutation in pathway member genes may be particularly valuable for the development of targeted therapies...
- Current concepts and management of glioblastomaMatthias Preusser
Department of Medicine I Oncology, Comprehensive Cancer Center Central Nervous System Tumors Unit, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ann Neurol 70:9-21. 2011..We aim to provide a guide for clinicians confronted with glioblastoma patients in their everyday practice...
- A multivariate analysis of 416 patients with glioblastoma multiforme: prognosis, extent of resection, and survivalM Lacroix
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
J Neurosurg 95:190-8. 2001..Gross-total tumor resection is associated with longer survival in patients with GBM, especially when other predictive variables are favorable...
- Neurocognition in patients with brain metastases treated with radiosurgery or radiosurgery plus whole-brain irradiation: a randomised controlled trialEric L Chang
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Lancet Oncol 10:1037-44. 2009..We proposed that the learning and memory functions of patients who undergo SRS plus WBRT are worse than those of patients who undergo SRS alone. We did a randomised controlled trial to test our prediction...
- Genome remodelling in a basal-like breast cancer metastasis and xenograftLi Ding
The Genome Center at Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
Nature 464:999-1005. 2010..The differential mutation frequencies and structural variation patterns in metastasis and xenograft compared with the primary tumour indicate that secondary tumours may arise from a minority of cells within the primary tumour...
- Analysis of the IDH1 codon 132 mutation in brain tumorsJörg Balss
Clinical Cooperation Unit Neuropathology G380, German Cancer Research Center, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 116:597-602. 2008..The very high frequency of IDH1 mutations in WHO grade II astrocytic and oligodendroglial gliomas suggests a role in early tumor development...
- Mutations in CIC and FUBP1 contribute to human oligodendrogliomaChetan Bettegowda
Ludwig Center for Cancer Genetics and Howard Hughes Medical Institutions, Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Science 333:1453-5. 2011..These results suggest a critical role for these genes in the biology and pathology of oligodendrocytes...
- A multigene predictor of outcome in glioblastomaHoward Colman
Department of Neuro Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77401, USA
Neuro Oncol 12:49-57. 2010..The profile has potential clinical application both for optimization of therapy in GBM and for the identification of novel therapies targeting tumors refractory to standard therapy...
- miR-101 is down-regulated in glioblastoma resulting in EZH2-induced proliferation, migration, and angiogenesisMichiel Smits
Neuro oncology Research Group, Departments of Neurosurgery and Pediatric Oncology Hematology, Cancer Center Amsterdam, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oncotarget 1:710-20. 2010..GBM is characterized by fast cell proliferation, infiltrative migration, and by the induction of angiogenesis. MicroRNAs and polycomb group (PcG) proteins have emerged as important regulators of gene expression...
- Incidence proportions of brain metastases in patients diagnosed (1973 to 2001) in the Metropolitan Detroit Cancer Surveillance SystemJill S Barnholtz-Sloan
Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 110 E Warren, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:2865-72. 2004..The purpose of this study was to calculate population-based incidence proportions (IPs) of brain metastases from single primary lung, melanoma, breast, renal, or colorectal cancer...
- Phase II trial of single-agent bevacizumab followed by bevacizumab plus irinotecan at tumor progression in recurrent glioblastomaTeri N Kreisl
Neuro Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 8200, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:740-5. 2009..To evaluate single-agent activity of bevacizumab in patients with recurrent glioblastoma...
- Integrated molecular genetic profiling of pediatric high-grade gliomas reveals key differences with the adult diseaseBarbara S Paugh
St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:3061-8. 2010..To define copy number alterations and gene expression signatures underlying pediatric high-grade glioma (HGG)...
- Molecular predictors of progression-free and overall survival in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma: a prospective translational study of the German Glioma NetworkMichael Weller
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 27:5743-50. 2009..The prognostic value of genetic alterations characteristic of glioblastoma in patients treated according to present standards of care is unclear...
- PDGF autocrine stimulation dedifferentiates cultured astrocytes and induces oligodendrogliomas and oligoastrocytomas from neural progenitors and astrocytes in vivoC Dai
Department of Neurosurgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Genes Dev 15:1913-25. 2001..Loss of Ink4a-Arf is not required for PDGF-induced glioma formation but promotes tumor progression toward a more malignant phenotype...
- Inhibition of vasculogenesis, but not angiogenesis, prevents the recurrence of glioblastoma after irradiation in miceMitomu Kioi
Division of Radiation and Cancer Biology, Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305 5152, USA
J Clin Invest 120:694-705. 2010....
- Hypoxia promotes expansion of the CD133-positive glioma stem cells through activation of HIF-1alphaA Soeda
Brain Tumor Program, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15232, USA
Oncogene 28:3949-59. 2009..This study illustrates the importance of the tumor microenvironment in determining cellular behavior...
- p53 and Pten control neural and glioma stem/progenitor cell renewal and differentiationHongwu Zheng
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 455:1129-33. 2008....
- Heterogeneity maintenance in glioblastoma: a social networkRudy Bonavia
Department of Pathology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Cancer Res 71:4055-60. 2011..These differing but complementary ideas about the origin and maintenance of tumor heterogeneity and its importance in GBM are reviewed here...
- Enhancer of Zeste 2 (EZH2) is up-regulated in malignant gliomas and in glioma stem-like cellsF Orzan
Fondazione I R C C S Istituto Neurologico C Besta, Milan, Italy
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 37:381-94. 2011..The histone methyltransferase Enhancer of Zeste 2 (EZH2) is a key member of PRC2 function: we have investigated its expression and function in gliomas...
- Brain metastases as preventive and therapeutic targetsPatricia S Steeg
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 11:352-63. 2011..Advances in the chemoprevention of brain metastases, the validation of tumour radiation sensitizers and the amelioration of cognitive deficits caused by whole-brain radiation therapy are discussed...
- Clinical trial substantiates the predictive value of O-6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase promoter methylation in glioblastoma patients treated with temozolomideMonika E Hegi
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics of the Neurosurgery Departments of the University Hospitals, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Cancer Res 10:1871-4. 2004..Expression of this excision repair enzyme has been associated with resistance to alkylating chemotherapy...
- TGF-β Receptor Inhibitors Target the CD44(high)/Id1(high) Glioma-Initiating Cell Population in Human GlioblastomaJudit Anido
Vall d Hebron Institute of Oncology, Barcelona, Spain
Cancer Cell 18:655-68. 2010..High CD44 and Id1 levels confer poor prognosis in GBM patients...
- Phase I/IIa study of cilengitide and temozolomide with concomitant radiotherapy followed by cilengitide and temozolomide maintenance therapy in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastomaRoger Stupp
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Rue du Bugnon 46, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 28:2712-8. 2010..This multicenter, phase I/IIa study investigated the efficacy and safety of cilengitide in combination with standard chemoradiotherapy in newly diagnosed glioblastoma...
- Stereotactic radiosurgery plus whole-brain radiation therapy vs stereotactic radiosurgery alone for treatment of brain metastases: a randomized controlled trialHidefumi Aoyama
Departments of Radiology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
JAMA 295:2483-91. 2006..In patients with brain metastases, it is unclear whether adding up-front whole-brain radiation therapy (WBRT) to stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) has beneficial effects on mortality or neurologic function compared with SRS alone...
- Immunologic escape after prolonged progression-free survival with epidermal growth factor receptor variant III peptide vaccination in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastomaJohn H Sampson
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:4722-9. 2010..Epidermal growth factor receptor variant III (EGFRvIII) is a constitutively activated and immunogenic mutation not expressed in normal tissues but widely expressed in glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) and other neoplasms...
- Postoperative radiotherapy in the treatment of single metastases to the brain: a randomized trialR A Patchell
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington 40536 0084, USA
JAMA 280:1485-9. 1998..However, the efficacy of postoperative radiotherapy after complete surgical resection has not been established...
- Evidence for sequenced molecular evolution of IDH1 mutant glioblastoma from a distinct cell of originAlbert Lai
David Geffen School of Medicine at theUniversity of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:4482-90. 2011..To determine how GBMs arising with IDH1(R132MUT) differ from other GBMs, we undertook a comprehensive comparison of patients presenting clinically with primary GBM as a function of IDH1(R132) mutation status...
- Summary report on the graded prognostic assessment: an accurate and facile diagnosis-specific tool to estimate survival for patients with brain metastasesPaul W Sperduto
University of Minnesota Gamma Knife, Minneapolis Radiation Oncology, MN, USA
J Clin Oncol 30:419-25. 2012..The purpose of this report is to present the updated diagnosis-specific GPA indices in a single, unified, user-friendly report to allow ease of access and use by treating physicians...
- A new prognostic index and comparison to three other indices for patients with brain metastases: an analysis of 1,960 patients in the RTOG databasePaul W Sperduto
Minneapolis Radiation Oncology, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:510-4. 2008..Treatment for brain metastases varies widely. A sound prognostic index is thus important to guide both clinical decision making and outcomes research...
- Stem cell-related "self-renewal" signature and high epidermal growth factor receptor expression associated with resistance to concomitant chemoradiotherapy in glioblastomaAnastasia Murat
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Centre Universitaire Romand de Neurochirurgie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Lausanne 1011, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 26:3015-24. 2008..Here, we aimed to identify molecular profiles specific for treatment resistance to the current standard of care of concomitant chemoradiotherapy with the alkylating agent temozolomide...
- Glioma-derived mutations in IDH1 dominantly inhibit IDH1 catalytic activity and induce HIF-1alphaShimin Zhao
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Fudan University, 130 Dong an Road, Shanghai 200032, China
Science 324:261-5. 2009..Thus, IDH1 appears to function as a tumor suppressor that, when mutationally inactivated, contributes to tumorigenesis in part through induction of the HIF-1 pathway...
- A small-molecule antagonist of CXCR4 inhibits intracranial growth of primary brain tumorsJoshua B Rubin
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:13513-8. 2003....
- Recent advances in therapy for glioblastomaJennifer Clarke
Division of Neuro Oncology, Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, 400 Parnassus Ave, Room A 808, Box 0372, San Francisco, CA 94143 0372, USA
Arch Neurol 67:279-83. 2010....
- Kinetics of vascular normalization by VEGFR2 blockade governs brain tumor response to radiation: role of oxygenation, angiopoietin-1, and matrix metalloproteinasesFrank Winkler
E L Steele Laboratory for Tumor Biology, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 100 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cancer Cell 6:553-63. 2004..During the normalization window, but not before or after it, VEGFR2 blockade increases pericyte coverage of brain tumor vessels via upregulation of Ang1 and degrades their pathologically thick basement membrane via MMP activation...
- Cancer stem cell analysis and clinical outcome in patients with glioblastoma multiformeRoberto Pallini
Department of Neurosurgery, Catholic University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 14:8205-12. 2008..The stem cell antigen CD133 identifies such a tumorigenic population in a subset of glioblastoma patients. We conducted a prospective study to explore the prognostic potential of CSC analysis in glioblastoma patients...
- Notch pathway inhibition depletes stem-like cells and blocks engraftment in embryonal brain tumorsXing Fan
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 Rutland Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cancer Res 66:7445-52. 2006..Stem-like cells in brain tumors thus seem to be selectively vulnerable to agents inhibiting the Notch pathway...
- Early inactivation of p53 tumor suppressor gene cooperating with NF1 loss induces malignant astrocytomaYuan Zhu
Center for Developmental Biology and Kent Waldrep Foundation Center for Basic Research on Nerve Growth and Regeneration, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Cancer Cell 8:119-30. 2005....
- DNA methylation, isocitrate dehydrogenase mutation, and survival in gliomaBrock C Christensen
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:143-53. 2011....
- Combined activation of Ras and Akt in neural progenitors induces glioblastoma formation in miceE C Holland
Department of Neurosurgery, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Genet 25:55-7. 2000..11), and we show here that Akt activity is increased in most of these tumours, implying that combined activation of these two pathways accurately models the biology of this disease...
- Molecular subclassification of diffuse gliomas: seeing order in the chaosJason T Huse
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA
Glia 59:1190-9. 2011..2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc...
- Isolation of cancer stem cells from adult glioblastoma multiformeXiangpeng Yuan
Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute, Suite 800 East, 8631 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Oncogene 23:9392-400. 2004..The identification of tumor stem cells within adult GBM may represent a major step forward in understanding the origin and maintenance of GBM and lead to the identification and testing of new therapeutic targets...
- The role of surgical resection in the management of newly diagnosed brain metastases: a systematic review and evidence-based clinical practice guidelineSteven N Kalkanis
Department of Neurosurgery, Henry Ford Health System, 2799 West Grand Blvd, K 11, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
J Neurooncol 96:33-43. 2010..There is insufficient evidence to make a recommendation for patients with poor performance scores, advanced systemic disease, or multiple brain metastases...
- MGMT promoter methylation status can predict the incidence and outcome of pseudoprogression after concomitant radiochemotherapy in newly diagnosed glioblastoma patientsAlba A Brandes
Department of Medical Oncology, Bellaria Maggiore Hospital, Azienda Unità Sanitaria Locale of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Clin Oncol 26:2192-7. 2008..The radiologic images obtained in this setting can be difficult to interpret since they may show radiation-induced pseudoprogression (psPD) rather than disease progression...
- Isocitrate dehydrogenase 1 and 2 mutations in cancer: alterations at a crossroads of cellular metabolismZachary J Reitman
Department of Pathology, The Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:932-41. 2010..Study of alterations in these metabolic enzymes may provide insights into the metabolism of cancer cells and uncover novel avenues for development of anticancer therapeutics...
- The next generation of glioma biomarkers: MGMT methylation, BRAF fusions and IDH1 mutationsAndreas von Deimling
Department of Neuropathology, Institute of Pathology, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, and Clinical Cooperation Unit Neuropathology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Brain Pathol 21:74-87. 2011..In contrast, BRAF fusion and IDH1 mutation analyses promise to be very helpful for classifying and grading gliomas, while their potential predictive value has yet to be established...
- Unsupervised analysis of transcriptomic profiles reveals six glioma subtypesAiguo Li
Neuro Oncology Branch and Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Cancer Res 69:2091-9. 2009....
- Autophagy in Brain TumorJin Ming Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal is immediately relevant to the development of innovative therapeutic approaches against malignant brain tumors, and may ultimately have a large impact in improving GBM treatment. ..
- Vaccine Immunotoxin and Radioimmunotherapy of Primary and Metastatic CNS TumorsDarell D Bigner; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Slow cycling brain tumor cancer stem cellsBRENT REYNOLDS; Fiscal Year: 2010..The project should unveil the stem cell characteristics of brain tumor cells and provide insight in how to regulate the behavior of the cancer cells. ..
- Effects of Extravasated Serum Proteins on Human Glioblastoma InvasionHUNTER REEVE UNDERHILL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Howard Temin Pathway to Independence Award for Cancer Research (K99/R00) will allow me to complete my post-doctoral training and provide critical support for the transition to a faculty position. ..
- Developing diagnostic and therapeutic stem cells for cancer therapyKhalid A Shah; Fiscal Year: 2013..The developed agents and strategies will be designed to be clinically translatable and should have a major impact in developing efficient therapies for brain tumors. ..
- Gene Targeted Therapy of Brain TumorsJohn H Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal tests this "personalized" medicine approach in human tumors grown in mice as a prelude to human clinical studies. ..
- The role of a histone H4 phosphorylation in drug resistanceZhiguo Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Together, these studies will reveal a novel epigenetic mechanism by which acquired TMZ resistance is regulated and validate Pak2 as a potential therapeutic target for overcoming TMZ resistance. ..
- Modulation of Glioma Growth and Invasion by HCMV Glycoprotein BLiliana Soroceanu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results from experiments proposed herein may lead to novel therapeutic approaches based on antiviral treatments for glioma patients. ..
- Measles Virotherapy and radiovirotherapy in the Treatment of recurrent gliomasEvanthia Galanis; Fiscal Year: 2013..This application proposes to investigate strategies optimizing the use of measles vaccine strains as novel antitumor agents in the treatment of recurrent gliomas. ..
- Multifunctional nanoparticles to improve treatment of human glioblastomaMiqin Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..The expanded health relevance of this research is that the NPs with BBB penetration ability may also facilitate the delivery of therapeutic agents to brain metastases from a variety of tumors. ..
- Novel small-molecule inhibitors of Wee1 kinase for medulloblastoma treatmentPhilip Reigan; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will then extend our studies into in vivo models to determine the pharmacokinetics and tissue distribution of the Wee1 inhibitors and their effect on tumor growth in our xenograft model. ..
- Molecular mechanisms of GBM radioresistance and strategies for radiosensitizationSandeep Burma; Fiscal Year: 2013..This would help to identify vulnerable nodes that could be targeted for effective radiosensitization of these tumors. ..
- Genotype and Metabolic Phenotype in GlioblastomaElizabeth A Maher; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our proposed research will dissect the metabolic pathways that are abnormal in glioblastoma in a concerted effort to develop new therapies quickly. ..
- Development of Novel Inducers of Non-Apoptotic Cell Death to Target GlioblastomaWilliam A Maltese; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, the development of tumor-homing NP or prodrugs that can be targeted to GBM would represent a technological advance that might be applied more generally for delivery of other therapeutic agents. ..
- Targeted Delivery of a Novel Synthetic Curcumin Analog, EF24 to Glioblastoma andMAMORU NONE SHOJI; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Interplay between intrinsic and extrinsic force and glioma aggressionMatt Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2013..Progress in this underdeveloped area will be important to reveal new and more successful avenues for brain tumor therapy. ..
- Glioma Associated Macrophages Facilitate Local ImmunosuppressionOrin Bloch; Fiscal Year: 2010..We believe that macrophages expressing B7-H1 protein will cause local T-cell death, and create an immunosuppressive environment. ..
- Rapid Response Surveillance Study #09-5 - Constructing Geographic Areas in GIS foSally L Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study will combine adjacent similar small areas to mask identity while keeping areas with a sufficient number (e.g., ≥15) of cancer incidences and population (≥50,000) intact. ..
- Variable Dose Rate X-ray IrradiatorHoward B Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Invasion of glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) cells in organotypic brain slicesZEV ARI BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Meningioma: Risk Factors and Quality of LifePeter M Black; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study represents the first concentratedeffort to examine environmental and genetic risk factors for meningioma. ..
- Meningioma: Risk Factors and Quality of LifeJoellen M Schildkraut; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study represents the first concentrated effort to examine environmental and genetic risk factors for meningioma. ..
- Meningioma: Risk Factors and Quality of LifeElizabeth B Claus; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study represents the first concentrated effort to examine environmental and genetic risk factors for meningioma. ..
- Meningioma: Risk Factors and Quality of LifeMelissa L Bondy; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study represents the first concentrated effort to examine environmental and genetic risk factors for meningiomas. ..
- The Meningioma Consortium: Genome-Wide Association StudyElizabeth B Claus; Fiscal Year: 2013..Identification of risk loci for meningioma will likely have strong etiologic significance with importance for both prevention and treatment. ..
- RNA-based Immunotherapy Targeting Antigens Unique to Brain Tumor Stem CellsJohn H Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this proposal we will see if targeting antigens preferentially or uniquely expressed by BTSCs will enhance the efficacy and reduce toxicity of immunotherapy. ..
- Novel Strategies for Brain Tumor TherapyIan F Pollack; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Serum exosome diagnosis for gliomaXANDRA OWENS BREAKEFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2010..This technology has wide applications as most types of cancer also release exosomes into the serum and have distinguishing RNA features. ..
- Targeting Tumorigenic Pathways in Glioblastoma with Oncolytic HSVSAMUEL DAVID RABKIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our long-term goal is to develop oHSV vectors that are safe and effective for clinical use and to elucidate combination strategies that will enhance efficacy. ..
- TWO COMPARTMENT MODELS TO IMPROVE BRAIN TUMOR THERAPYEdward A Neuwelt; Fiscal Year: 2012..Perform clinical trials of antibody-based therapy and neurotoxicity in human primary central nervous system lymphoma. ..
- Translational Development of Replication-Competent Retrovirus VectorsNoriyuki Kasahara; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hence, there is an unmet need to develop effective new approaches against this devastating disease...
- Modeling Apoptotic Suppression in a Mouse Model of Brain TumorsGanesh Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ultimately, our results will help define therapeutic targets for glioma and the model will be used to test novel therapeutics against this deadly disease. ..
- Annexin A2 as a Novel Enhancer of Tumor-Associated Antigen ProcessingBRIAN MAGNE ANDERSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Completion of these studies, basic-science cancer and immunology training, and medical school training focused on cancer therapy will prepare me for a career as a physician-scientist with a research program in brain tumor immunotherapy. ..
- Apical-basal polarity signaling in glioblastomaSourav Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our long-term goal is the rational targeting of this pathway in an improved therapeutic paradigm for gliomas. ..
- Role of TRIP6 in Malignant Glioma ProgressionFang Tsyr Lin; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this project is to understand the molecular mechanisms in cultured glioma cells and in an animal model in order to translate this understanding into more effective therapies for this devastating disease. ..
- B7H1 Mediated Immunosuppression in GliomaAndrew T Parsa; Fiscal Year: 2013..The availability of drugs that inhibit the PI(3)K pathway or block B7-H1 and its receptor PD-1 provides a natural extension of these studies into the realm of patient care. ..
- Inhibiting glioma dispersal using non-toxic, natural productsJohn S Kuo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Malignant gliomas such as glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) are the most common and deadly primary brain neoplasms, and even with aggressive interventions average survival remains less than 2 years after diagnosis...
- Discovery of exon, microRNA and clinical prognostic markers of glioblastoma surviSANDRA L RODRIGUEZ ZAS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Targeting the cholesterol metabolism to treat glioblastomaDeliang Guo; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Novel Tools for Evaluation and Prediction of Radiotherapy Response in IndividualKristin R Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Mechanisms of Pituitary TumorigenesisShlomo Melmed; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results will improve our understanding of clinical endocrine syndromes associated with infertility, growth disorders, hypercortisolism or adrenal, thyroid and gonadal failure due to abrogated pituitary function. ..
- Research Training Program in Neuro-OncologyBRIAN PATRICK O'NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2013..More importantly, little of what is known has been translated into clinical practice to relieve the burden of disease from our patients and their families. ..
- MION for Synchronized MRI and Drug Therapy of Brain TumorVictor C Yang; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this new R01 application, we plan to confirm the utility of this DDS in vivo using well-established rat glioma models. ..
- BRAIN TUMORS - IMMUNOLOGICAL AND BIOLOGICAL STUDIESDarell D Bigner; Fiscal Year: 2012..Bigner's NS 20023-19 Brain Tumor Center grant, perform FDA-required toxicity and efficacy of three best toxin and three best radiolabeled constructs and submit IND and carry out clinical studies in glioma patients. ..
- Quantitative MRSI to predict early response to SAHA therapy in new GBM managementHui Kuo Shu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Importantly, in addition to monitoring tumor response to SAHA therapy, our MRSI-based tool will allow assessment of the biochemical content of normal brain, and may thus indirectly monitor the subject's quality-of-life. ..
- Allergies, Genetic Susceptibility and Adult Glioma RiskDominique S Michaud; Fiscal Year: 2011..Improving our understanding of the etiology of gliomas will provide opportunities for treatment options or prevention of this deadly cancer. ..
- Quantify treatment response in IDH1 mutant glioma patients with metabolic MRIOvidiu C Andronesi; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Akt-EphA2 Crosstalk in Glioma InvasionBingcheng Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Aim 3, we will characterize the molecular and structural bases underlying stimulation of cell migration and invasion by the Akt-EphA2 signaling axis. ..
- The Roles of MicroRNAs in GlioblastomaXiao Fan Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..3. Examine the regulatory mechanisms that modulate miRNA processing by the Drosha complex in response to hypoxia in GSCs. We will employ both cell culture and mouse models to accomplish these objectives. ..
- Microenvironmental modulation as a result of glioma therapyJUSTIN DURLA LATHIA; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Modeling and microsystems approach to glioma invasionSteven S Rosenfeld; Fiscal Year: 2013..Overall, the project will establish the quantitative framework necessary to develop a model-driven approach to GBM, so that therapies can be designed and engineered with more predictable outcomes. ..
- Quantification of Tumor Malignancy with MRIFernando E Boada; Fiscal Year: 2013..These techniques will be used to assess patients treated with combinations of bevacizumab (an antiangiogenic) and conventional cytotoxic drugs. Changes in perfusion and diffusion parameters will be correlated with treatment outcome. ..
- A20 Promotes Glioma Stem Cell Mediated TumorigenesisANITA HJELMELAND; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose to elucidate the molecular and biological role of A20 in glioma stem cell biology in an effort to determine novel targets for glioma patient therapies. ..
- Dynamic Magnetic Targeting of Activated Brain Macrophages for Glioma TherapyJacob M Berlin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, combined use of IONP and DPMF has the potential to modulate and direct neural stem cell trafficking following CNS transplantation. ..
- Regulation of Asymmetric Cellular Division in Glioma Stem CellsDaniel J Brat; Fiscal Year: 2013..The current proposal attempts to define mechanisms that underlie GSC properties in GBM, which could lead to better therapies. ..
- Amino Acid Transport and the Biology of Human GliomasHarald W Sontheimer; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Regulation of the Vasculature by Invading Glioma CellsSTACEY MICHELLE WATKINS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Data obtained from this proposal will aid in the understanding of an aspect glioma biology that may provide specific molecular targets for future anti-invasive therapy. ..
- Complex role of DNA hypomethylation in glioblastoma multiformeRaman P Nagarajan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- STAT3 REGULATION OF GLIOBLASTOMA PATHOGENESISAzad Bonni; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed studies should also lay the foundation for potential identification of novel therapeutic strategies in patient-tailored treatment of glioblastoma. ..
- Genetic Dissection of Glioblastoma: Cell of OriginRobert M Bachoo; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results of these studies could be used to develop new screening tests for GBM cancer, new diagnostic aids, new predictors of outcome and may help identify new targets for chemotherapy and treatment. ..
- Cdk4/6 Inhibitor Therapy for Glioblastoma MultiformeTodd A Waldman; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Aim #2, we will determine the mechanisms of intrinsic and acquired resistance to cdk4/6 inhibition in GBM. In Aim #3, we will evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of PD0332991 in combination with radiotherapy and temozolomide. ..
- Inhibition of Brain Tumor Stem Cell Tumorigenicity using Self-assembling NanogelsMaya Srikanth; Fiscal Year: 2012..If successful, this work stands to significantly improve the care of glioblastoma patients. ..
- Targeted EGFR Antisense Gene Therapy of Brain CancerRUBEN BOADO; Fiscal Year: 2005..The MTH triggers the sequential receptor-mediated transcytosis of the PIL across the BBB, and the receptor-mediated endocytosis of the PIL into the brain cancer cell. ..
- EGFR activity in T cell-influenced glioma invasiveness & chemosensitivityChristopher Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Measles Virotherapy for Glioblastoma MultiformeEvanthia Galanis; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phase III Study of Donepezil in the Irradiated BrainStephen R Rapp; Fiscal Year: 2010..If successful the study will offer physicians a treatment for radiation-induced cognitive impairment which also may improve mood and quality of life. ..
- Antisense imaging of brain gene expression in vivoWilliam Pardridge; Fiscal Year: 2003..This technology could be extended to humans and to other organs. At present, there is no parallel technology that enables the non-invasive in vivo imaging of "any gene in any person," which is the goal of this work. ..
- Antisense imaging of brain gene expression in vivoWilliam Pardridge; Fiscal Year: 2005..This technology could be extended to humans and to other organs. At present, there is no parallel technology that enables the non-invasive in vivo imaging of "any gene in any person," which is the goal of this work. ..
- Metabolic Polymorphisms and Survival from Brain TumorsMelissa Bondy; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, patients who can tolerate higher doses of chemotherapy can be treated more efficiently, suffering from less side effects and potentially may have a better outcome. ..
- Intravascular Thrombosis in GlioblastomaDaniel Brat; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our emerging model represents a paradigm shift in the understanding of GBM and should lead directly to more effective therapies. ..
- GLUTATHIONE IN BRAIN TUMOR RESISTANCE TO NITROSOUREASFrancis Ali Osman; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- REGULATION OF PRODUCTION OF GAMMA INTERFERON IN TUMORHoward Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1990..The studies also result in the development of the reagents and tools for the ultimate cloning of the AVP receptor...
- The role of complement activation in glioma proliferationMichael Sughrue; Fiscal Year: 2009..Pursuing the aims outlined in this proposal will provide the applicant with an optimal training vehicle to facilitate a career in translational neurooncology. ..
- TOPOTECAN BY INTRACEREBRAL CLYSIS FOR BRAIN TUMORSJeffrey Bruce; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Comparative DNA Microarray Analysis of Brain TumorsDaniel Brat; Fiscal Year: 2006....