jet lag syndrome
Summary: A chronobiologic disorder resulting from rapid travel across a number of time zones, characterized by insomnia or hypersomnolence, fatigue, behavioral symptoms, headaches, and gastrointestinal disturbances. (From Cooper, Sleep, 1994, pp593-8)
Publications143 found, 100 shown here
- Dysregulation of inflammatory responses by chronic circadian disruptionOscar Castanon-Cervantes
Neuroscience Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
J Immunol 185:5796-805. 2010..Such immune changes might be a common mechanism for the myriad negative health effects of shift work...
- Chronic jet-lag increases mortality in aged miceA J Davidson
Curr Biol 16:R914-6. 2006
- Adrenal glucocorticoids have a key role in circadian resynchronization in a mouse model of jet lagSilke Kiessling
Department Genes and Behavior, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
J Clin Invest 120:2600-9. 2010..This key role of adrenal glucocorticoid phasing for resetting of the circadian system provides what we believe to be a novel mechanism-based approach for possible therapies for jet lag and jet lag-associated diseases...
- Location, location, location: important for jet-lagged circadian loopsMary Harrington
Department of Psychology, Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts 01063, USA
J Clin Invest 120:2265-7. 2010..In this context, a report in this issue of the JCI takes us to a new level of understanding of the molecular control of the resetting of the multitude of internal biological clocks disrupted in a mouse model of jet lag...
- Differential resynchronisation of circadian clock gene expression within the suprachiasmatic nuclei of mice subjected to experimental jet lagA B Reddy
Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Division of Neurobiology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB2 2QH, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 22:7326-30. 2002..They highlight the indirect photic regulation of mCry1 as a potentially rate-limiting factor in behavioral adjustment to time zone transitions...
- Visualizing jet lag in the mouse suprachiasmatic nucleus and peripheral circadian timing systemAlec J Davidson
Circadian Rhythms and Sleep Disorders Program, Neuroscience Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
Eur J Neurosci 29:171-80. 2009..Full resynchronization of the SCN and peripheral timing system, as measured by a circadian reporter gene, did not occur until after 8 days in the advanced light cycle...
- Preflight adjustment to eastward travel: 3 days of advancing sleep with and without morning bright lightHelen J Burgess
Biological Rhythms Research Laboratory, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Biol Rhythms 18:318-28. 2003..More days of preflight treatment could be used to produce even larger phase advances and potentially eliminate jet lag...
- Circadian rhythms in airline pilots submitted to long-haul transmeridian flightsC Ariznavarreta
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Aviat Space Environ Med 73:445-55. 2002..Circadian rhythms shift out of phase after transmeridian flights. Desynchronization between body rhythms and the environment is linked to jet lag, which depends on age, flight direction, and number of time zones crossed...
- Social jetlag: misalignment of biological and social timeMarc Wittmann
Generation Research Program, Human Science Center, Ludwig Maximilian University Munich, Germany
Chronobiol Int 23:497-509. 2006..e., the discrepancies between social and biological timing rather than a simple association to different chronotypes. Our results strongly suggest that work (and school) schedules should be adapted to chronotype whenever possible...
- Single eight-hour shift of light-dark cycle increases brain-derived neurotrophic factor protein levels in the rat hippocampusHiroyoshi Sei
Department of Integrative Physiology, School of Medicine, The University of Tokushima, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Life Sci 73:53-9. 2003..Plasma corticosterone levels were not largely affected. Thus, a single LD shift acutely affects hippocampal BDNF metabolism with no large stress response...
- Chronic jet lag produces cognitive deficitsK Cho
Department of Psychology, University of Durham, Durham, DH1 3LE, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 20:RC66. 2000..Cabin crew also exhibited cognitive deficits, possibly in working memory, that became apparent after several years of chronic disruption of circadian rhythms...
- Effects of chronic jet lag on tumor progression in miceElisabeth Filipski
INSERM E 0354 Cancer chronotherapeutics, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif Cedex, France
Cancer Res 64:7879-85. 2004..5) of jet-lagged mice. Altered environmental conditions can disrupt circadian clock molecular coordination in peripheral organs including tumors and play a significant role in malignant progression...
- Melatonin and jet lag syndrome: experimental model and clinical implicationsGregory F Oxenkrug
Department of Psychiatry, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02135, USA
CNS Spectr 8:139-48. 2003What is the effect of melatonin on jet lag syndrome? Jet lag desynchronizes the internal sleep-wakefulness cycle with the environmental light/dark cycle...
- Modeling interactions between photic and nonphotic entrainment mechanisms in transmeridian flightsMitsuyuki Nakao
Graduate School of Information Sciences, Tohoku University, Aobayama 09, 980 8579, Sendai, Japan
Biol Cybern 91:138-47. 2004..The simulation results suggest that an appropriate selection of departure time and physical exercise could ease the jet lag caused by transmeridian flight...
- Disruption of circadian coordination and malignant growthElizabeth Filipski
INSERM E 354 Cancer Chronotherapeutics, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif, France
Cancer Causes Control 17:509-14. 2006..Both rhythms were suppressed in the liver and in the tumor of jet lagged mice. This functional disturbance of molecular clock resulted in down regulation of p53 and overexpression of c-Myc, two effects which may favor cancer growth...
- Melatonin: therapeutic and clinical utilizationA Altun
Department of Cardiology, Medical School, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
Int J Clin Pract 61:835-45. 2007....
- Beyond the suprachiasmatic nucleusN Mrosovsky
Department of Zoology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Chronobiol Int 20:1-8. 2003..Yet extensive temporal restructuring of behavior can occur without participation of the suprachiasmatic nucleus. This raises questions about current thinking about how to cope with jet lag and shift work...
- Chronobiological characterization of women with primary vasospastic syndrome: body heat loss capacity in relation to sleep initiation and phase of entrainmentStephanie Vollenweider
Psychiatric University Clinics, Thermophysiological Chronobiology, Centre for Chronobiology, Wilhelm Klein Strasse 27, Basel, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R630-8. 2008..2 h; P = 0.01). Similar phase shifts were observed in CBT, DPG, and KSS ratings. In conclusion, WVD exhibit a phase delay of the endogenous circadian system with respect to their habitual sleep-wake cycle, which could be a cause of DIS...
- Jet lag: therapeutic use of melatonin and possible application of melatonin analogsVenkataramanujan Srinivasan
Department of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, University Sains Malaysia, Kubang Kerian, Kota Bharu, Kelantan Malaysia
Travel Med Infect Dis 6:17-28. 2008....
- The relevance of melatonin to sports medicine and scienceGreg Atkinson
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leicestershire, UK
Sports Med 33:809-31. 2003..It is unknown whether melatonin plays a role in some exercise training-related problems such as amenorrhoea and over-training syndrome...
- Caffeine or melatonin effects on sleep and sleepiness after rapid eastward transmeridian travelM Beaumont
Department of Physiology, Institut de Medecine Aerospatiale du Service de Sante des Armees, Bretigny sur Orge, Cedex, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:50-8. 2004..SRC reduced sleepiness but also tended to affect sleep quality until the last drug day. In conclusion, both drugs have positive effects on some jet lag symptoms after an eastbound flight: SRC on daytime sleepiness, and Mlt on sleep...
- How to trick mother nature into letting you fly around or stay up all nightVictoria L Revell
Biological Rhythms Research Laboratory, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Biol Rhythms 20:353-65. 2005..They demonstrate how jet lag could be prevented entirely if rhythms are shifted before the flight using their preflight plan and discuss the combination of interventions that they now recommend for night shift workers...
- Transient changes in the pattern of food intake following a simulated time-zone transition to the east across eight time zonesJim Waterhouse
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Chronobiol Int 22:299-319. 2005..However, these changes are generally transient and are only weakly linked to the sensation of jet lag...
- Sports chronobiology consultation: from the lab to the arenaTeodor T Postolache
Mood and Anxiety Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 685 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Clin Sports Med 24:415-56, xiv. 2005..Short vignettes of actual cases are presented for edification, and references are made to appropriate reviews found elsewhere in this issue...
- The use of chronobiotics in the resynchronization of the sleep-wake cycleDaniel P Cardinali
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Paraguay 2155, 1121, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cancer Causes Control 17:601-9. 2006..Both in aged subjects having very minimal sleep disorders as well as in demented patients with a very severe disorganization of the sleep-wake cycle, melatonin treatment reduced the variability of sleep onset and restored sleep...
- Circadian rhythms in sports performance--an updateB Drust
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Henry Cotton Campus, Liverpool, UK
Chronobiol Int 22:21-44. 2005....
- [Rhythms, depressions and light]Anders Johnsson
Institutt for Fysikk, Norges Teknisk Naturvitenskapelige Universitet, 7491 Trondheim
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 126:1044-7. 2006..The rhythmic physiologic processes, the light reactions and the general importance of light for rhythms and for man are now studied at the molecular level...
- The stress of travelJ Waterhouse
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool L3 2ET, UK
J Sports Sci 22:946-65; discussion 965-6. 2004..Sleep loss is also found in those who undertake challenges that involve long periods where the normal consolidated sleep of 8 h length is not possible. Advice on sleep regimens in such circumstances is given...
- [Health problems due to night shift work and jetlag]H W Rüdiger
Klinische Abteilung Arbeitsmedizin, Medizinische Universität Wien
Internist (Berl) 45:1021-5. 2004..About 15% of all healthy adults are insufficiently adaptable to night shift work. These individuals carry a particularly high health risk, if regularly participating in night shift work...
- Circadian rhythm sleep disordersKathryn J Reid
Center for Sleep and Circadian Biology, Northwestern University, 2205 Tech Drive, Hogan Hall 2 160, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Med Clin North Am 88:631-51, viii. 2004
- Dynamics of a multistage circadian systemTanya Leise
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Amherst College, Amherst, MA 01002, USA
J Biol Rhythms 21:314-23. 2006..The authors compare the predicted behavior of self-sustaining versus damped oscillatory components in the system as well as the effect of weak versus strong coupling from the master pacemaker to the peripheral components...
- Melatonin for the treatment of disorders in circadian rhythm and sleep: could it form a basis for medication?Isaac Nir
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, PO Box 12065, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Receptors Channels 9:379-85. 2003..Furthermore, the possibility of its clinical application in maintenance of sleep under regular and environmental changes is discussed...
- Jet lag: life in the fast (and feast) laneStephen B Hanauer
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:349. 2008
- Chronobiotic effects of the melatonin agonist LY 156735 following a simulated 9h time shift: results of a placebo-controlled trialThomas Nickelsen
Lilly Deutschland GmbH, Bad Homburg, Germany
Chronobiol Int 19:915-36. 2002..The present study assessed the efficacy of LY to alleviate the symptoms of shift lag and to enhance readaptation of desynchronized circadian rhythms to a new time zone...
- Circadian urinary 6-sulphatoxymelatonin, cortisol excretion and locomotor activity in airline pilots during transmeridian flightsJ A Tresguerres
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
J Pineal Res 31:16-22. 2001..Data confirm the occurrence of internal desynchronization in airline crewmembers after transmeridian flights...
- Advancing human circadian rhythms with afternoon melatonin and morning intermittent bright lightVictoria L Revell
Biological Rhythms Research Lab, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:54-9. 2006..Both light and melatonin can be used to phase shift the human circadian clock, but the phase-advancing effect of the combination has not been extensively investigated...
- Melatonin phase shifts human circadian rhythms in a placebo-controlled simulated night-work studyKatherine M Sharkey
Biological Rhythms Research Laboratory, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 282:R454-63. 2002..0 mg, 56% with 0.5 mg, and 0% with placebo). Melatonin could be used to promote adaptation to night work and jet travel...
- A multifactorial approach employing melatonin to accelerate resynchronization of sleep-wake cycle after a 12 time-zone westerly transmeridian flight in elite soccer athletesDaniel P Cardinali
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Pineal Res 32:41-6. 2002..The results indicate that the combination of melatonin treatment, an appropriate environmental light schedule and timely applied physical exercise can be useful to help elite athletes to overcome the consequences of jet lag...
- [Sleep disruption in shift work and jet lag: the role of the circadian timing system]Ch Cajochen
Zentrum für Chronobiologie, Universitäre Psychiatrische Kliniken, Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:1479-83. 2005
- Resynchronization of blood pressure circadian rhythm after westward trans-7-meridian flight with and without melatonin treatmentP Barattini
Inter-University Center for the Biological Rhythm Studies, Institute of Human Anatomy, University of Milano, Italy
Aviat Space Environ Med 72:221-4. 2001..In the first trip the BP circadian rhythm synchronization occurred on the 5th day. In the second trip melatonin promoted an immediate but unstable adaptation to the new rest-activity cycle...
- Immediate effects of an 8-h advance shift of the rest-activity cycle on 24-h profiles of cortisolAnne Caufriez
Laboratoire de Médecine Expérimentale and Centre d Etudes des Rythmes Biologiques, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, B 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282:E1147-53. 2002..Sleep onset was consistently followed by a decrease in cortisol concentrations. Conversely, both sleep-wake and dark-light transitions were consistently associated with cortisol secretory pulses...
- Melatonin deficiencies in womenUwe D Rohr
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital, Essen, Germany
Maturitas 41:S85-104. 2002..It can be expected that melatonin will receive wide consideration for treatment of sleeping disturbances, jet lag, and fibromyalgia once an oral formulation becomes available in Europe...
- Light visor treatment for jet lag after westward travel across six time zonesZiad Boulos
New York State Psychiatric Institute and Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York 10032, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 73:953-63. 2002..The aim of this field study was to evaluate the efficacy of a light treatment for jet lag, using a head-mounted light visor, following a westward flight across six time zones...
- Altered sleep-wake cycles and physical performance in athletesThomas Reilly
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Henry Cotton Campus, 15 21 Webster Street, Liverpool, L3 2ET, United Kingdom
Physiol Behav 90:274-84. 2007..There are still unanswered questions about the sleep needs of athletes, the role of 'power naps' and the potential for exercise in improving the quality of sleep...
- Melatonin, light therapy, and jet lagN J Lathrop
Airlift Northwest, Seattle, WA, USA
Air Med J 20:30-4. 2001..to all travelers, but what is it? The medication melatonin, available in most convenience stores, is marketed as a sleep agent or treatment for jet lag, but is it safe? Is it a sleeping pill? How is light therapy related to melatonin?..
- Blacks (African Americans) have shorter free-running circadian periods than whites (Caucasian Americans)Charmane I Eastman
Biological Rhythms Research Laboratory, Behavioral Sciences Department, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Chronobiol Int 29:1072-7. 2012..On the other hand, Whites should be more likely to have trouble adapting to the early work and school schedules imposed by society. More research is needed to confirm these results and predictions...
- [Rheumatism, jet lag and the body clock]G Pongratz
Labor für experimentelle Rheumatologie und Neuroendokrinoimmunologie, Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin I, Universitatsklinikum Regensburg, Franz Josef Straus Allee 11, 93042, Regensburg, Deutschland
Z Rheumatol 70:305-12. 2011..The impact of acute phase shifts as a result of transmeridian travel in subjects with rheumatic disorders, as well as strategies to prevent jet lag will be discussed in the following article...
- Experimental chronic jet lag promotes growth and lung metastasis of Lewis lung carcinoma in C57BL/6 miceMingWei Wu
State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Department of Research, Cancer Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, PR China
Oncol Rep 27:1417-28. 2012..We conclude that circadian disruption can promote tumor progression and metastasis by affecting the expression of both tumor-related genes and metastasis suppressor genes...
- Adolescent sleep misalignment: a chronic jet lag and a matter of public healthYvan Touitou
Fondation A de Rothschild, Chronobiology Unit, 25 rue Manin, 75019 Paris, France
J Physiol Paris 107:323-6. 2013..A number of basic rules are proposed to improve sleep in adolescents. The permanent social jet lag experienced by a number of adolescents should be considered as a matter of public health. ..
- Inducing jet-lag in older people: directional asymmetryT H Monk
Sleep and Chronobiology Center, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, USA
J Sleep Res 9:101-16. 2000..Subjective alertness suffered more disruption after the phase advance than after the phase delay...
- Jet lag and air travel: implications for performanceThomas Reilly
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Henry Cotton Campus, 15 21 Webster Street, Liverpool L3 2ET, England
Clin Sports Med 24:367-80, xii. 2005..Measures to ameliorate adverse effects of jet lag include behavioral or pharmacologic strategies. Coaches and mentors and the athletes they support should be considered when preparing for long-haul flights across multiple meridians...
- The effects of travel on team performance in the Australian national netball competitionD Bishop
School of Human Movement and Exercise Science, University of Western Australia
J Sci Med Sport 7:118-22. 2004..6). There was however, a significant difference between points scored at home and away for EW2 travel only (P = 0.01). These results suggest that relatively brief air travel (across only two time zones) can influence team performance...
- The embryonic pineal gland of the chicken as a model for experimental jet lagSiri Kommedal
Department of Anatomy, Medical School, University of Pecs, Szigeti ut 12, H 7624 Pecs, Hungary
Gen Comp Endocrinol 188:226-31. 2013..In addition it demonstrates that only one cycle of altered light schedule is sufficient to trigger changes within the molecular clock mechanisms of the chicken embryonic pineal model...
- Effects of age and jet lag on D-galactose induced aging processYang Xu
College of Biological and Environmental Engineering, Zhejiang University of Technology, No 6 District, Zhaohui, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, 310032, China
Biogerontology 10:153-61. 2009....
- Field trial of timed bright light exposure for jet lag among airline cabin crewTuuli Lahti
National Public Health Institute Department of Mental Health and Alcohol Research, FI 00300, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Circumpolar Health 66:365-9. 2007..Following rapid changes in circadian rhythm may lead to several symptoms known as jet lag. Our aim was to alleviate jet-lag symptoms by timed exposure to bright light (natural sunlight if present, otherwise artificial bright light)...
- Temporal variations of coagulation factor VII activity in mice are influenced by lighting regimeIlaria Colognesi
Department of Biology and Evolution and Neuroscience Centre, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Chronobiol Int 24:305-13. 2007..Taken together, these findings in mice provide novel insights into the modulation of FVII activity levels, which might have implications for human pathophysiology...
- Melatonin alleviates jet lag symptoms caused by an 11-hour eastward flightToshiharu Takahashi
Department of Education, Faculty of Letters, Hosei University, Tokyo, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 56:301-2. 2002..Antidromic re-entrainment was dominant whereby melatonin administration in the evening promoted re-entrainment. Melatonin accelerated the rate of re-entrainment by 15 min per day and alleviated the jet lag symptoms...
- Mice genetically deficient in vasopressin V1a and V1b receptors are resistant to jet lagYoshiaki Yamaguchi
Department of Systems Biology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Science 342:85-90. 2013....
- Clinical management of jet lag: what can be proposed when performance is critical?Olivier Coste
Institut de medecine navale du service de sante des armees, BP610, 83800 Toulon armees, France
Travel Med Infect Dis 7:82-7. 2009..From this point of view, hypnotics may constitute a good indication. Finally, we suggest that the use of psychostimulants could also be interesting in very exceptional circumstances...
- Further assessments of the relationship between jet lag and some of its symptomsJames Waterhouse
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Chronobiol Int 22:121-36. 2005..Inferences about any decrements due to time-zone transitions cannot be made reliably at times of the day that differ from the time when jet lag is assessed...
- Scheduled wheel access during daytime: A method for studying conflicting zeitgebersR Dallmann
Department of Zoology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Physiol Behav 88:459-65. 2006..This approximates the situation in people subjected to shift work or jet lag...
- International travel and the elite athleteAndrew L Pipe
Division of Prevention and Rehabilitation, University of Ottawa Heart Institute, 40 Ruskin St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Clin J Sport Med 21:62-6. 2011..The adoption of a methodical approach to pre-trip planning can ensure an enhanced travel experience, illness-free training and competition, and facilitate optimal performance...
- [In time for Beijing: influence of the biological clock on athletic performance]J H Meijer
Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum, Laboratorium voor Neurofysiologie, afd Moleculaire Celbiologie, Postbus 9600, 2300 RC Leiden
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 152:1809-12. 2008..We give some advice for athletes who must cross multiple time zones shortly before a competition...
- Keeping older patients healthy and safe as they travelJeffrey D Schlaudecker
The Christ Hospital University of Cincinnati Family Medicine Residency Program, OH 45219, USA
J Fam Pract 62:16-23. 2013..For older patients, the trip of a lifetime can be fraught with health hazards. There's much you can do to keep them harm free...
- Etiologies and evaluation of sleep disturbances in adolescenceJudith A Owens
Alpert Medical School Brown University, Potter 200, Rhode Island Hospital, 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Adolesc Med State Art Rev 21:430-45, vii-viii. 2010....
- Aging differentially affects the re-entrainment response of central and peripheral circadian oscillatorsMichael T Sellix
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Neurosci 32:16193-202. 2012..This pattern of results suggests that a major consequence of aging is a decrease in pacemaker amplitude, which would slow re-entrainment of peripheral oscillators and reduce SCN resistance to external perturbation...
- The sportsman readjustment after transcontinental flight: a study on marathon runnersA Montaruli
Institute of Physical Exercise, Health and Sport Activity, Faculty of Motor Sciences, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 49:372-81. 2009..The purpose of this study is to evaluate the synchronizing effect of physical activity on the sleep-activity parameters after a flight across different time zones...
- Nutritional strategies for football: counteracting heat, cold, high altitude, and jet lagLawrence E Armstrong
Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, 06269, USA
J Sports Sci 24:723-40. 2006....
- Circadian typology: a comprehensive reviewAna Adan
Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychobiology, School of Psychology, University of Barcelona, Spain
Chronobiol Int 29:1153-75. 2012....
- Dim light melatonin onset (DLMO): a tool for the analysis of circadian phase in human sleep and chronobiological disordersSeithikurippu R Pandi-Perumal
Comprehensive Center for Sleep Medicine, Department of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:1-11. 2007..DLMO marker is also useful for identifying optimal application times for therapies such as bright light or exogenous melatonin treatment...
- Time zone change and major psychiatric morbidity: the results of a 6-year study in JerusalemGregory Katz
Kfar Shaul Mental Health Center Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Givat Shaul, Jerusalem, 91060, Israel
Compr Psychiatry 43:37-40. 2002..04). The results suggest that the dyschronism of circadian rhythms and jet lag possibly play a role in the exacerbation of major psychiatric disorders...
- Use of melatonin in the treatment of phase shift and sleep disordersD J Skene
School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, U K
Adv Exp Med Biol 467:79-84. 1999..Compared with placebo, melatonin advanced the sleep period in subjects with DSPS. Melatonin also improved a number of sleep parameters in blind subjects suffering from non-24-hour sleep wake disorder...
- Effects of zopiclone on the rest/activity rhythm after a westward flight across five time zonesA Daurat
université Toulouse Le Mirail, Laboratoire Travail et Cognition, Maison de la Recherche, Toulouse, France
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 149:241-5. 2000..Zopiclone probably exerts its "resetting" effects on jet-lag desynchronosis by facilitating sleep induction rather than via a chronobiotic action...
- Effect of low-dose temazepam on physiological variables and performance tests following a westerly flight across five time zonesT Reilly
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, UK
Int J Sports Med 22:166-74. 2001..This illustrates the importance of monitoring jet lag symptoms and performance variables at different times of day following a flight to a new time zone...
- The endogenous melatonin (MT) signal facilitates reentrainment of the circadian system to light-induced phase advances by acting upon MT2 receptorsMartina Pfeffer
Dr Senckenbergische Anatomie, Institut Fachbereich Medizin, Goethe Universitat Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Chronobiol Int 29:415-29. 2012..These data suggest the endogenous melatonin signal facilitates reentrainment of the circadian system to phase advances on the level of the SCN molecular clockwork by acting upon MT2 receptors...
- Detrimental effects of west to east transmeridian flight on jump performanceDale W Chapman
Australian Institute of Sport, PO Box 176, Belconnen ACT 2616, Australia
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:1663-9. 2012....
- [Clinical picture and treatment of jet lag]Peter Igaz
Semmelweis Egyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar II Belgyógyászati Klinika Budapest Szentkirályi u 46 1088
Orv Hetil 152:2021-4. 2011..Restitution of the internal rhythm by appropriate light exposure or melatonin, optimal sleep time and duration, and drugs can be used in its treatment...
- Effect of airline travel on performance: a review of the literatureWhitney E Leatherwood
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94063 6342, USA
Br J Sports Med 47:561-7. 2013..Evidence-based recommendations are provided at the end of the manuscript to minimise the effects of airline travel on performance...
- Adaptation to experimental jet-lag in R6/2 mice despite circadian dysrhythmiaNigel I Wood
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e55036. 2013..If similar abnormalities are present in HD patients, they may suffer exaggerated jet-lag. Since the underlying molecular clock mechanism remains intact, light may be a useful treatment for circadian dysfunction in HD...
- Using the Argonne diet in jet lag prevention: deployment of troops across nine time zonesNorman C Reynolds
Department of Neurology, and Department of Family and Community Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8700 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Mil Med 167:451-3. 2002..Jet lag was significantly more frequent on either deployment or return or both for nondieters. Sedentary civilian jobs and a previous history of jet lag were associated with jet lag in this study...
- Melatonin treatment for eastward and westward travel preparationMichel A Paul
Defence Research and Development Canada, 1133 Sheppard Ave West, P O Box 2000, Toronto, ON M3M3B9, Canada
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 208:377-86. 2010..Melatonin is recommended for hastening adaptation to phase shift, but there is little information on appropriate formulations...
- Resetting process of peripheral circadian gene expression after the combined reversal of feeding schedule and light/dark cycle via a 24-h light period transition in ratsT Wu
College of Biological and Environmental Engineering, Zhejiang University of Technology, Zhejiang, China
Physiol Res 59:581-90. 2010....
- How to achieve fast entrainment? The timescale to synchronizationAdrián E Granada
Institute for Theoretical Biology, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e7057. 2009..As an example, we discuss the jet-lag experiments in the mammalian circadian pacemaker...
- Hypoxia-induced changes in recovery sleep, core body temperature, urinary 6-sulphatoxymelatonin and free cortisol after a simulated long-duration flightOlivier Coste
Institut de medecine navale du service de sante des armees, Toulon, France
J Sleep Res 18:454-65. 2009..This study shows clearly the impact of hypobaric hypoxia on circadian time structure during air flights leading to a phase delay of CBT, independent of jet lag and consequences on sleep during recovery...
- Some chronobiological and physiological problems associated with long-distance journeysThomas Reilly
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Henry Cotton Campus, 15 21 Webster Street, Liverpool L3 2ET, UK
Travel Med Infect Dis 7:88-101. 2009..The traveller needs to be aware of these changes before setting off, so that appropriate preparations (clothing, for example) can be made...
- Identifying some determinants of "jet lag" and its symptoms: a study of athletes and other travellersJ Waterhouse
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Br J Sports Med 36:54-60. 2002..Travelling across multiple time zones disrupts normal circadian rhythms and induces "jet lag". Possible effects of this on training and performance in athletes were concerns before the Sydney Olympic Games...
- Melatonin and its relevance to jet lagGregory M Brown
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, 100 Bronte Road, Unit 422, Oakville, ON L6L 6L5, Canada
Travel Med Infect Dis 7:69-81. 2009..Moreover, new melatonin agonists are currently under investigation for treatment of jet lag...
- Elastic liposomes mediated transdermal delivery of an anti-jet lag agent: preparation, characterization and in vitro human skin transport studyVaibhav Dubey
Pharmaceutics Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dr Hari Singh Gour University, Sagar M P, 470003 India
Curr Drug Deliv 5:199-206. 2008....
- Jet lag in athletes after eastward and westward time-zone transitionBjorn Lemmer
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Chronobiol Int 19:743-64. 2002....
- Melatonin in sleep disorders and jet-lagDaniel P Cardinali
Departament of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 23:9-13. 2002..The effect of melatonin on sleep is probably the consequence of increasing sleep propensity (by inducing a fall in body temperature) and of a synchronizing effect on the circadian clock (chronobiotic effect)...
- Biology and medicine of soccer: an updateR J Shephard
Faculty of Physical Education and Health, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Sports Sci 17:757-86. 1999..The information presented has important implications for the safety and success of soccer players; the challenge is now to ensure that this information is understood and acted upon by coaches and individual team members...
- ["Jet-lag"--pathophysiology and methods of prevention and treatment]Anna Michalik
Instytut Pielegniarstwa i Ratownictwa Medycznego, Wydział Nauk o Zdrowiu, Akademia Techniczno Humanistyczna, Bielsko Biała
Przegl Epidemiol 63:589-95. 2009..Therefore, the awareness of travelers should be rised and they should be helped with the proper preparation to transmeridian flights, which may enable faster adaptation to a new time zone with the minimal use of pharmacology...
- Circadian rhythm sleep disordersNaveen Kanathur
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, National Jewish Health, 1400 Jackson Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Clin Chest Med 31:319-25. 2010..This article discusses the disorders of the circadian sleep-wake cycle and the therapeutic measures to correct the same...
- Effect of 3 mg melatonin on jet lag syndrome in an 8-h eastward flightT Takahashi
Department of Psychiatry, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 54:377-8. 2000..Melatonin accelerated the rate of the re-entrainment of the circadian melatonin rhythm. Melatonin was useful to jet travel from Tokyo to Los Angeles...
- Evaluation of pharmacological aids on physical performance after a transmeridian flightD Lagarde
Institut de Medecine Aerospatiale du Service de Sante des Armees, B P 73, 91223 BRETIGNY SUR ORGE cedex, France
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:628-34. 2001..S. Air Force reservists after an eastbound air travel across seven time zones and to estimate the pharmacological aids slow-release caffeine and melatonin versus placebo in attempt to overcome the decline in performance...
- Environmental factors affecting elite young athletesCraig Williams
Children s Health and Exercise Research Centre, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK
Med Sport Sci 56:150-70. 2011..The limitations of data extrapolated from adults are acknowledged and in all cases it is emphasised that recommendations and implementing practice should be based on data collected from young people...
- The effect of chiropractic care on jet lag of Finnish junior elite athletesW F Straub
Life University, International Sports Training Institute, Marietta, GA 30050, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 24:191-8. 2001..Self-assessment of jet lag by participants after traveling to Georgia and after returning to Finland showed no between-group differences. CONCLUSIONS: It was concluded that chiropractic care did not reduce the effects of jet lag...
- The international athlete--advances in management of jet lag disorder and anti-doping policyDaniel Herman
Departmentsof Athletics and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Virginia Health System, 545 Ray C Hunt Drive, Suite 240, PO Box 801004, Charlottesville, VA22908 1004, USA
Clin Sports Med 30:641-59. 2011..It is critical that medical staff maintain familiarity and awareness on a continual basis to effectively educate athletes and support staff...
- Cognition in circadian rhythm sleep disordersKathryn J Reid
Department of Neurology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Prog Brain Res 190:3-20. 2011..These disorders are often associated with impairments of cognitive performance that can have adverse effects on school and work performance, overall quality of life, and safety...
- [Jet leg]A L Christiansen
H:S Hvidovre Hospital, Medicinsk endokrinologisk afdeling
Ugeskr Laeger 163:149-55. 2001..We stress the importance of correct timing of phototherapy and use of melatonin and suggest that the traveller adapts to the "social" rhythm at the flight destination as well...
- [Chronobiological case study on cardiac responses during aerobic exercise]H Sakamoto
Mie Occupational Health Promotion Center, 33-1 Higashi-marunouchi, Tsu, Mie 514-0028, Japan
Sangyo Eiseigaku Zasshi 43:181-7. 2001..It decreased for a short time after lunch. VI. The effect of Jet lag was observed as a lowering of energy consumption during exercise in the Even. Ex., and two or four days were required for recovery...
- PRACTICAL CIRCADIAN INTERVENTIONS FOR NIGHT SHIFT WORKCHARMANE EASTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..This work will have important implications for the health, safety, and well being of the night shift worker. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phase response curves for home remedies to treat circadian misalignmentCharmane I Eastman; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Effects of Short and Long Nights on the Circadian ClockCHARMANE EASTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..This work has important implications for the sleep deprived general population and for jet travelers and night shift workers who must phase shift their circadian rhythms in order to adjust to phase shifts in their light/dark cycle. ..
- TWILIGHTS AND CIRCADIAN ENTRAINMENTZiad Boulos; Fiscal Year: 2001..Thus, a systematic account of twilight-induced effects on circadian entrainment may provide the basis for refined clinical treatments of sleep phase and seasonal affective disorder. ..
- Biological Rhythms in Postpartum DepressionBarbara Parry; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study would serve as the basis of future studies in which treatments designed to correct these underlying abnormalities in circadian rhythms, and restore them to those of NC women, thereby would improve mood in DP. ..
- Potentiation of photic circadian clock phase shiftsMary Harrington; Fiscal Year: 2007..The progress of cancer is slower in patients with enhanced circadian rhythmicity, a benefit that might accrue from better circadian entrainment [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Circadian rhythms and sleep in familial DSPS and ASPSPhyllis Zee; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Melatonin Supplementation in Hypertensive PatientsFRANK SCHEER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, supplementation of suppressed nighttime melatonin levels may lead to a novel strategy in the treatment of essential hypertension. [unreadable]..
- Probing Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder with LightBarbara Parry; Fiscal Year: 2007..These investigations will provide further insight into the pathophysiology of PMDD and other depressive disorders in women, and serve as a basis for refining light treatment interventions in the future. ..
- Circadian organization in the aged rodentAlec Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Nutritional manipulation of circadian rhythms and cancerAlec Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The experiments will form the basis for future study of circadian and nutritional influences on development of this and other cancers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Characteristics of retinal cells that contain melanopsinJoshua Gooley; Fiscal Year: 2004..Experimental findings will be used to construct a model that describes how light entrains the circadian clock to the solar day, and how uncoupling of the pacemaker from the light-dark cycle leads to circadian rhythm disorders. ..