Genomes and Genes
circadian rhythm sleep disorders
Summary: Dyssomnias associated with disruption of the normal 24 hour sleep wake cycle secondary to travel (e.g., JET LAG SYNDROME), shift work, or other causes.
Publications238 found, 100 shown here
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorders following mild traumatic brain injuryL Ayalon
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego and Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Neurology 68:1136-40. 2007To describe the physiologic and behavioral characteristics of circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSDs) following minor traumatic brain injury (mTBI) in patients complaining of insomnia.
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorders in the blind and their treatment with melatoninDebra J Skene
Centre for Chronobiology, School of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH, UK
Sleep Med 8:651-5. 2007..If practicable, assessment of an individual's circadian phase (by measurement of the endogenous melatonin rhythm in plasma, saliva or urine) is recommended prior to commencing treatment to optimise melatonin's effectiveness...
- Circadian rhythm sleep disordersDenis Martinez
Division of Cardiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, UFRGS, Rua Ramiro Barcelos, CEP, Brazil
Indian J Med Res 131:141-9. 2010b>Circadian rhythm sleep disorders are common conditions manifested as misalignment between the sleep period and the physical/social 24-h environmental cycle...
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorders: part II, advanced sleep phase disorder, delayed sleep phase disorder, free-running disorder, and irregular sleep-wake rhythm. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine reviewRobert L Sack
Department of Psychiatry, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR, USA
Sleep 30:1484-501. 2007This the second of two articles reviewing the scientific literature on the evaluation and treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSDs), employing the methodology of evidence-based medicine...
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorders: part I, basic principles, shift work and jet lag disorders. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine reviewRobert L Sack
Department of Psychiatry, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR, USA
Sleep 30:1460-83. 2007This the first of two articles reviewing the scientific literature on the evaluation and treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSDs), employing the methodology of evidence-based medicine...
- Impact of night-float rotation on sleep, mood, and alertness: the resident's perceptionAnita Cavallo
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
Chronobiol Int 19:893-902. 2002..The impact of night-shift work should be considered in the design of night-float schedules, and teaching should be provided for residents to learn coping strategies for night-shift work...
- A practical approach to circadian rhythm sleep disordersBjørn Bjorvatn
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen, Kalfarveien 31, N 5018 Bergen, Norway
Sleep Med Rev 13:47-60. 2009b>Circadian rhythm sleep disorders are common in clinical practice...
- Work load and work hours in relation to disturbed sleep and fatigue in a large representative sampleTorbjorn Akerstedt
National Institute for Psychsocial Factors and Health, Stockholm, Sweden
J Psychosom Res 53:585-8. 2002..To study the relation between work and background factors on the one hand and disturbed sleep and fatigue on the other...
- Melatonin as a chronobioticJosephine Arendt
School of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Centre for Chronobiology, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, UK
Sleep Med Rev 9:25-39. 2005..No long-term safety data exist, and the optimum dose and formulation for any application remains to be clarified...
- An hPer2 phosphorylation site mutation in familial advanced sleep phase syndromeK L Toh
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Science 291:1040-3. 2001..Thus, a variant in human sleep behavior can be attributed to a missense mutation in a clock component, hPER2, which alters the circadian period...
- A clinical approach to circadian rhythm sleep disordersAna Barion
Department of Neurology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Sleep Med 8:566-77. 2007b>Circadian rhythm sleep disorders are characterized by complaints of insomnia and excessive sleepiness that are primarily due to alterations in the internal circadian timing system or a misalignment between the timing of sleep and the 24-h ..
- Melatonin therapy for circadian rhythm sleep disorders in children with multiple disabilities: what have we learned in the last decade?James E Jan
BC s Children s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
Dev Med Child Neurol 46:776-82. 2004
- Non-24-hour sleep-wake syndrome following a car accidentD B Boivin
Center for Study and Treatment of Circadian Rhythms, Douglas Hospital Research Center, Verdun, Quebec, Canada
Neurology 60:1841-3. 2003..MRI and brain CT scans were normal, but microscopic brain damage in the vicinity of the suprachiasmatic nucleus or its output pathways is plausible...
- Molecular genetics of timing in intrinsic circadian rhythm sleep disordersHerman Wijnen
The Laboratory of Genetics, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Med 34:386-93. 2002..These biochemical systems provide new tools for evaluating clinically observed, intrinsic circadian rhythm sleep disorders. A striking example was last year's discovery of a point mutation in a human clock gene that produces ..
- Effects of melatonin on the quality of life in patients with delayed sleep phase syndromeJ E Nagtegaal
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Hospital De Gelderse Vallei, Ede Bennekom, The Netherlands
J Psychosom Res 48:45-50. 2000..We also investigated the effectiveness of treatment with 5 mg of melatonin on the quality of life of DSPS patients...
- Casein kinase I epsilon (CKIvarepsilon) N408 allele is very rare in the Brazilian population and is not involved in susceptibility to circadian rhythm sleep disordersRosa M R P S Castro
Psychobiology Department, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, UNIFESP, Brazil
Behav Brain Res 193:156-7. 2008..37%), indicating that it has no influence on susceptibility to circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Therefore, it is necessary to account for adaptative influences in genetic background, analyzing ..
- Circadian rhythm sleep disordersNaveen Kanathur
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, National Jewish Health, 1400 Jackson Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Clin Chest Med 31:319-25. 2010..rhythms and the conventional sleep-wake schedules of the environmental day can give rise to several circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Evaluation of suspected circadian rhythm sleep disorders requires proper monitoring of sleep diaries,..
- Extended work duration and the risk of self-reported percutaneous injuries in internsNajib T Ayas
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
JAMA 296:1055-62. 2006..Extended-duration work shifts are associated with increased risks of automobile crash, particularly during a commute from work. Interns may be at risk for other occupation-related injuries...
- Practice parameters for the use of actigraphy in the assessment of sleep and sleep disorders: an update for 2007Timothy Morgenthaler
Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN, USA
Sleep 30:519-29. 2007..The following practice parameters update the previous practice parameters published in 2003 for the use of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms...
- Shiftwork: safety, sleepiness and sleepSimon Folkard
Liberty Mutual Research Institute for Safety, 71 Frankland Road, Hopkinton, MA 01748, USA
Ind Health 43:20-3. 2005..Finally, the practical implications of the trends in risk for the design of safer shift systems are discussed...
- Prevalence and consequences of sleep disorders in a shift worker populationMaurice M Ohayon
Stanford Sleep Epidemiology Research Center, School of Medicine, Stanford University, 401 Quarry Road, Suite 3301, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Psychosom Res 53:577-83. 2002..Irregular work schedules often results in a disruption of the normal circadian rhythm that can causes sleepiness when wakefulness is required and insomnia during the main sleep episode...
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorders: characteristics and entrainment pathology in delayed sleep phase and non-24-h sleep-wake syndromeMasako Okawa
Department of Sleep Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Japan
Sleep Med Rev 11:485-96. 2007..Treatment procedures and prevention of the syndromes require further attention using behavioral, environmental, and psychiatric approaches, since an increasing number of patients in modern society suffer from these disorders...
- Practice parameters for the clinical evaluation and treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine reportTimothy I Morgenthaler
Mayo Sleep Disorders Center, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Sleep 30:1445-59. 2007..expanding science of circadian rhythm biology and a growing literature in human clinical research on circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSDs) prompted the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) to convene a task force of experts to ..
- Treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders with lightJoshua J Gooley
Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Acad Med Singapore 37:669-76. 2008..In circadian rhythm sleep disorders, the pattern of sleep-wake is misaligned with the patient's circadian system or the external ..
- Shift work sleep disorder: prevalence and consequences beyond that of symptomatic day workersChristopher L Drake
Henry Ford Hospital Sleep Disorders and Research Center, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Sleep 27:1453-62. 2004..The present study was designed to determine the relative prevalence and negative consequences associated with shift work sleep disorder in a representative sample drawn from the working population of metropolitan Detroit...
- Circadian rhythm sleep disordersBrandon S Lu
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 710 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Chest 130:1915-23. 2006..b>Circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSD) occur when there is an alteration of the internal timing mechanism or a misalignment between ..
- Mutation screening of the human Clock gene in circadian rhythm sleep disordersToshio Iwase
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Saitama Medical School, 38 Morohongo, Moroyama cho, Iruma gun, 350 0495, Japan
Psychiatry Res 109:121-8. 2002..Polymorphisms in the coding region of the hClock gene are unlikely to play an important role in the development of DSPS or N-24. The possible contribution of the T3111C polymorphism to DSPS susceptibility should be studied further...
- Association of structural polymorphisms in the human period3 gene with delayed sleep phase syndromeT Ebisawa
Department of Psychiatry, Saitama Medical School, 38 Morohongo, Saitama 350 0495, Japan
EMBO Rep 2:342-6. 2001Recent progress in biological clock research has facilitated genetic analysis of circadian rhythm sleep disorders, such as delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) and non-24-h sleep-wake syndrome (N-24)...
- The roles of melatonin and light in the pathophysiology and treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disordersSeithikurippu R Pandi-Perumal
Somnogen Inc, 8790 112t Street, New York, NY 11418 2317, USA
Nat Clin Pract Neurol 4:436-47. 2008..According to the International Classification of Sleep Disorders, circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSDs) include delayed sleep phase syndrome, advanced sleep phase syndrome, non-24 h sleep-wake ..
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorders: pathophysiology and potential approaches to managementN Zisapel
Department of Neurobiochemistry, The George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Israel
CNS Drugs 15:311-28. 2001..Bright light exposure has been demonstrated as an effective treatment for circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Under conditions of entrainment to the 24-hour cycle, bright light in the early morning and ..
- Two pedigrees of familial advanced sleep phase syndrome in JapanKohtoku Satoh
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita City, Japan
Sleep 26:416-7. 2003....
- [Health problems due to night shift work and jetlag]H W Rüdiger
Klinische Abteilung Arbeitsmedizin, Medizinische Universität Wien
Internist (Berl) 45:1021-5. 2004..About 15% of all healthy adults are insufficiently adaptable to night shift work. These individuals carry a particularly high health risk, if regularly participating in night shift work...
- Potential role for peripheral circadian clock dyssynchrony in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular dysfunctionMartin E Young
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, 1100 Bates Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Sleep Med 8:656-67. 2007..We propose that both inter- and intra-organ dyssynchronization, through alteration/impairment of peripheral circadian clocks, accelerates the development of cardiovascular disease risk factors associated with cardiometabolic syndrome...
- Sleep-wake rhythm in an irregular shift systemMikael Sallinen
Brain and Work Research Units, and Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
J Sleep Res 12:103-12. 2003..The results demonstrate advantageous and disadvantageous shift combinations in relation to sleep and make it possible to improve the ergonomy of irregular shift systems...
- The effect of an irregular shift system on sleepiness at work in train drivers and railway traffic controllersM Harma
Brain Work Laboratories, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
J Sleep Res 11:141-51. 2002..The results indicate that adjustments for shift timing, length and off-duty time, in addition to actions aiming at extending the main sleep period, would probably decrease severe sleepiness in railway transportation...
- Tasimelteon, a melatonin agonist for the treatment of insomnia and circadian rhythm sleep disordersRudiger Hardeland
University of Gottingen, Johann Friedrich Blumenbach Institute of Zoology and Anthropology, Berliner Strasse 28, D 37073 Gottingen, Germany
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 10:691-701. 2009..phase II trials), which indicated its potential suitability as treatment for jet lag, shift work and circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Statistically significant improvements in sleep maintenance have also been observed with the drug...
- Long-term effectiveness outcome of melatonin therapy in children with treatment-resistant circadian rhythm sleep disordersRoxanne Carr
Melatonin Research Group, Department of Psychiatry, BC Children s Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Pineal Res 43:351-9. 2007..follow-up study of 44 children with neurodevelopmental disabilities and treatment-resistant circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSD) who had participated in a placebo controlled, double blind cross-over trial of sustained-..
- Work patterns and fatigue-related risk among junior doctorsPhilippa Gander
Sleep Wake Research Centre, Massey University, Wellington, New Zealand
Occup Environ Med 64:733-8. 2007..The Australian Medical Association (AMA) has proposed a more comprehensive fatigue risk management approach...
- Familial advanced sleep phase syndromeK J Reid
Department of Neurobiology and Physiology, Northwestern University, Hogan Hall 2 160, 2153 N Campus Dr, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Arch Neurol 58:1089-94. 2001..Although the complaint of awakening earlier than desired is relatively common, particularly in older adults, extreme advance of sleep phase is rare...
- Case study of circadian rhythm sleep disorder following haloperidol treatment: reversal by risperidone and melatoninLiat Ayalon
Institute for Fatigue and Sleep Medicine, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Chronobiol Int 19:947-59. 2002..This observation suggests that circadian rhythm sleep disorders can be related to the typical neuroleptic haloperidol and restored by the atypical neuroleptic ..
- Association between delayed sleep phase and hypernyctohemeral syndromes: a case studyDiane B Boivin
Center for Study and Treatment of Circadian Rhythms, Douglas Hospital Research Center, Montreal, QC, Canada
Sleep 27:417-21. 2004....
- A pedigree of one family with delayed sleep phase syndromeS Ancoli-Israel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, USA
Chronobiol Int 18:831-40. 2001..Case reports such as this support the utility of larger, more systematic studies. It is unclear whether this degree of familiarity is representative of that in the general population...
- Dysregulation of circadian rhythms following prolactin-secreting pituitary microadenomaKaty Borodkin
Institute for Fatigue and Sleep Medicine, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Chronobiol Int 22:145-56. 2005..This case also highlights the need to raise the awareness to circadian rhythm sleep disorders and to consider disruptions of sleep-wake cycle in patients with pituitary adenoma.
- Shift work and inter-individual differences in sleep and sleepinessHans P A Van Dongen
Sleep and Performance Research Center, Washington State University Spokane, Spokane, Washington 99210 1495, USA
Chronobiol Int 23:1139-47. 2006..It is important, therefore, to study the inter-individual differences in the regulation of sleep and wakefulness in the work environment so that cognitive impairment during shift work may be better anticipated and prevented...
- Shift work sleep disorder: burden of illness and approaches to managementJonathan R L Schwartz
Integris Sleep Disorder Center and University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73109, USA
Drugs 66:2357-70. 2006....
- [Obstructive sleep apnea in shift workers]Marcin Paciorek
Katedra i Klinika Chorób Wewnetrznych Pneumonologii i Alergologii AM w Warszawie
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 74:51-5. 2006..The aim of the study was to compare intensity of sleep disordered breathing in standard nocturnal polisomnography (PSG) and diurnal PSG after night shift in shift workers with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome...
- Changes in the concentration of urinary 6-sulphatoxymelatonin during a week of simulated night workGregory D Roach
Centre for Sleep Research, University of South Australia, Level 5 Basil Hetzel Institute TQEH 28 Woodville Road, Woodville, South Australia 5011, Australia
Ind Health 43:193-6. 2005....
- How well do train driver's sleep in relay vans?Nicole Lamond
The Centre for Sleep Research, The University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Ind Health 43:98-104. 2005..Further, the timing of the sleep opportunities during the relay trip impacts on the quantity and quality of sleep obtained...
- Sleepiness and sleep in a simulated "six hours on/six hours off" sea watch systemClaire A Eriksen
Institute for Psychosocial Factors and Health IPM, Stockholm, Sweden
Chronobiol Int 23:1193-202. 2006..Toward the end of watches, the levels of sleepiness progressively increased to relatively high levels, at least during the 00:00-06:00 h watch. Presumably, initially high levels of activity are replaced by routine and even boredom...
- Epidemiology of the human circadian clockTill Roenneberg
Centre for Chronobiology, Institute for Medical Psychology, University of Munich, Goethestrasse 31, 80336 Munich, Germany
Sleep Med Rev 11:429-38. 2007..The timing and duration of sleep are generally independent. However, when the two are analysed separately for work and free days, sleep duration strongly depends on chronotype. In addition, chronotype is both age- and sex-dependent...
- Are individuals' nighttime sleep characteristics prior to shift-work exposure predictive for parameters of daytime sleep after commencing shift work?Heidi M Lammers-van der Holst
Department of Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Chronobiol Int 23:1217-27. 2006..Follow-up studies may reveal whether the subjective quality of baseline nighttime sleep also predicts long-term overall tolerance for shift work...
- Train drivers' sleep quality and quantity during extended relay operationsSarah M Jay
The Centre for Sleep Research, The University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Chronobiol Int 23:1241-52. 2006..The results of the study highlight sleep quantity as the main concern during extended relay operations. Future research should focus on investigating the subjective and objective impact of this sleep reduction on waking functions...
- Self-reported health and sleep complaints among nursing personnel working under 12 h night and day shiftsLuciana F Portela
Laboratory of Education on Environment and Health, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Brazil
Chronobiol Int 21:859-70. 2004..More in-depth study of the questions raised here demands a more sophisticated epidemiological treatment and larger sample size...
- Police officers attitude to different shift systems: association with age, present shift schedule, health and sleep/wake complaintsGoran Kecklund
Stress Research Institute, Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Appl Ergon 39:565-71. 2008....
- Driver fatigue during extended rail operationsSarah M Jay
The Centre for Sleep Research, University of South Australia, City East Campus, Level 7, Playford Building, Frome Road, Adelaide 5000, South Australia
Appl Ergon 39:623-9. 2008..The aim of the current investigation was to assess fatigue levels during extended relay operations...
- Do short international layovers allow sufficient opportunity for pilots to recover?Nicole Lamond
The Centre for Sleep Research, The University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Chronobiol Int 23:1285-94. 2006..As a result, their response speed prior to the inbound flight is substantially slower than the response speed of flight crew with a longer layover...
- Professional shift-work drivers who adopt prophylactic naps can reduce the risk of car accidents during night workSergio Garbarino
Center of Sleep Medicine, University of Genoa, Italy
Sleep 27:1295-302. 2004..As naps are a countermeasure to sleepiness, this study evaluates the role they play in preventing sleep-related accidents in Italian shift-working police drivers...
- Randomized placebo-controlled field study of the effects of bright light and melatonin in adaptation to night workBjørn Bjorvatn
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen, Kalfarveien 31, N 5018 Bergen, Norway
Scand J Work Environ Health 33:204-14. 2007..This study evaluated the effects of bright light and melatonin on adaptation to night work on an oil rig in the North Sea...
- Promoting adjustment of the sleep-wake cycle by chronobioticsYvan Touitou
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine Pierre and Marie Curie Pitie Salpetriere, and INSERM U 713 Douleurs et stress, 91 Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013, Paris, France
Physiol Behav 90:294-300. 2007....
- Sleep, sleepiness and health complaints in police officers: the effects of a flexible shift systemClaire Anne Eriksen
National Institute for Psychosocial Medicine IPM, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ind Health 45:279-88. 2007..The association between work hour characteristics and sleep/wake complaints was weak in the flexible shift group. Instead, sleep/wake problems were mainly associated with the attitude to work hours...
- Interaction of age with shift-related sleep-wakefulness, sleepiness, performance, and social lifeA Bonnefond
centre d études de physiologie appliquée, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Strasbourg, France
Exp Aging Res 32:185-208. 2006..The shorter day sleep after the night shifts and higher deterioration of subjective and objective performance according to age urge on development of shift schedules aiming at lower fatigue levels during the night shifts...
- Sleep-facilitating effect of exogenous melatonin in healthy young men and women is circadian-phase dependentJames K Wyatt
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women a Hospital and Division of Sleep Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Sleep 29:609-18. 2006..To investigate the effects of a physiologic and a pharmacologic dose of exogenous melatonin on sleep latency and sleep efficiency in sleep episodes initiated across a full range of circadian phases...
- Wake detection capacity of actigraphy during sleepJean Paquet
Centre d Etude du Sommeil et des Rythmes Biologiques, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Canada
Sleep 30:1362-9. 2007..A second objective was to compare the ability of 4 different scoring algorithms (2 threshold algorithms and 2 regression analysis algorithms) to detect wake in the 3 sleep conditions...
- Using daily 30-min phase advances to achieve a 6-hour advance: circadian rhythm, sleep, and alertnessTimothy H Monk
Clinical Neuroscience Research Center, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 77:677-86. 2006..A ground-based study was undertaken to determine whether circadian and sleep dysfunction could be avoided by "trickling in" a 6-h phase advance in sleep/wake schedule by 12 consecutive 30-min phase advances as per NASA's Appendix K...
- [Sleep disruption in shift work and jet lag: the role of the circadian timing system]Ch Cajochen
Zentrum für Chronobiologie, Universitäre Psychiatrische Kliniken, Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:1479-83. 2005
- A compromise phase position for permanent night shift workers: circadian phase after two night shifts with scheduled sleep and light/dark exposureClara Lee
Biological Rhythms Research Laboratory, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Chronobiol Int 23:859-75. 2006....
- Does night work favor sleep-related accidents in police officers?M Tafil-Klawe
Department of Physiology, Collegium Medicum in Bydgoszcz, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 56:223-6. 2005..Night work does not favor obstructive sleep apnea episodes during sleep, but worsens many an obstructive sleep apnea variable, as measured by polysomnography...
- Occurrence of obstructive sleep apnea in a group of shift worked police officersJ J Klawe
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Collegium Medicum in Bydgoszcz, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 56:115-7. 2005..Our results do not confirm the hypothesis that chronic irregular work hours promote the occurrence of obstructive sleep apnea in subjects aged 40-60 years...
- Sleep tendency during extended wakefulness: insights into adolescent sleep regulation and behaviorDaniel J Taylor
Department of Psychology, University of North Texas, Denton, TX, USA
J Sleep Res 14:239-44. 2005....
- Comparison of the Munich Chronotype Questionnaire with the Horne-Ostberg's Morningness-Eveningness ScoreAndrei Zavada
Unit of Behavioural Biology, Human Chronobiology Research Group, University of Groningen, Haren, The Netherlands
Chronobiol Int 22:267-78. 2005..However, the MCTQ collects additional detailed information on sleep-wake behavior under natural conditions...
- Sleep on the job partially compensates for sleep loss in night-shift nursesFlaviany Ribeiro-Silva
Laboratory of Health and Environment Education, Department of Biology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Chronobiol Int 23:1389-99. 2006..001 and p = 0.002, respectively). Sleeping on the job during the night shift seems to partially compensate for the shorter sleep at home among night workers and may play a beneficial effect in coping with two jobs...
- Chronobiology of sleep in humansL C Lack
School of Psychology, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Cell Mol Life Sci 64:1205-15. 2007..Other less potent retiming effects may also be obtained from the judicious use of melatonin and exercise...
- Melatonin treatment in adolescents with delayed sleep phase syndromeAmir Szeinberg
Institute for Fatigue and Sleep Medicine, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 45:809-18. 2006..No adverse effects of melatonin were noted. This study indicates that long-term treatment with melatonin can be beneficial for adolescents with DSPS in terms of sleep-wake schedule and school performance...
- Building-site camps and extended work hours: A two-week monitoring of self-reported physical exertion, fatigue, and daytime sleepinessRoger Persson
National Institute of Occupational Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Chronobiol Int 23:1329-45. 2006....
- Effects of circadian typology on sleep-wake behavior of air traffic controllersVincenzo Natale
Department of Psychology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 57:539-41. 2003..Regardless of circadian typology, the morning shift tended to reduce the amount of sleep whereas night shift produced a decrease in daily activity...
- The cortisol awakening response: a pilot study on the effects of shift work, morningness and sleep durationBarbara Griefahn
Institute for Occupational Physiology at Dortmund University, Ardeystr 67, D 44139 Dortmund, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 33:981-8. 2008..The cortisol concentrations during work shifts correlated significantly with the previous post-awakening concentrations in MT but not in ET. Due to the small samples further studies are needed...
- Effects of melatonin administration on daytime sleep after simulated night shift workK M Sharkey
Biological Rhythms Research Laboratory, Rush-Presbyterian-St Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Sleep Res 10:181-92. 2001..The possibility of tolerance to the sleep-promoting effects of melatonin across more than 1 day needs further investigation...
- Melatonin phase shifts human circadian rhythms in a placebo-controlled simulated night-work studyKatherine M Sharkey
Biological Rhythms Research Laboratory, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 282:R454-63. 2002..0 mg, 56% with 0.5 mg, and 0% with placebo). Melatonin could be used to promote adaptation to night work and jet travel...
- The impact of sleep timing and bright light exposure on attentional impairment during night workNayantara Santhi
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Biol Rhythms 23:341-52. 2008..These results have important implications for managing patients with shift work disorder...
- The nighttime nap strategies for improving night shift work in workplaceHidemaro Takeyama
Health Sciences of Life, Work and Environment, Department of Environmental Health Science and Health Promotion, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 1 Kawasumi, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
Ind Health 43:24-9. 2005..Through the activities, nighttime napping strategy would be spread more in the workplaces and play a role as one of the effective tools for improving working conditions, work performance and safety in the future...
- Sleep and sleep habits from childhood to young adulthood over a 10-year periodB Thorleifsdottir
Sleep Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Landspitalinn University Hospital, Reykjavik, Iceland
J Psychosom Res 53:529-37. 2002..73). The present data confirm that Icelandic adolescents (aged 11, 13, and 15) have delayed bedtimes and shorter nocturnal sleep compared to European peers...
- Circadian-based new technologies for night workersTodd S Horowitz
Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ind Health 40:223-36. 2002..Nevertheless, our expanding scientific understanding of the nature of the problem has generated a promising range of options for shift workers...
- Health effects of night shift duty on nurses in a university teaching hospital in Benin City, NigeriaE C Isah
Community Health Department, School of Medicine, College of Medical Sciences, University ofBenin, Benin City, Nigeria
Niger J Clin Pract 11:144-8. 2008..This study is aimed at identifying the effects of night shift duty on the health and wellbeing of nurses in order to make recommendations on ways of ameliorating them...
- The impact of a nap opportunity during the night shift on the performance and alertness of 12-h shift workersM T Purnell
New Zealand Environmental and Occupational Health Research Center, Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Sleep Res 11:219-27. 2002..Overall the results suggest some promise for a short duration nap taken in the workplace to counteract performance deficits associated with the first night shift...
- [Gender and night work: sleep, daily life and the experiences of night shift workers]L Rotenberg
, Departamento de Biologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, , Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 21045-900, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 17:639-49. 2001..Such sleep patterns were associated with different expectations among men and women, revealing gender issues that are essential for understanding the reality of individuals who work odd hours...
- Can we consider medical residents as shift workers?R Epstein
Research Center for Work Safety and Human Eng, Technion Haifa, Israel
J Hum Ergol (Tokyo) 30:375-9. 2001..When examining their subjective complaints profile, residents complained more than day workers and their answers were more similar to those of rotating shift workers, therefore they can be considered to be characterized as shift workers...
- Reducing night shift exposure: a pilot study of rota, night shift and age effects on sleepiness and fatigueL Smith
Shiftwork Research Group, School of Psychology, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Hum Ergol (Tokyo) 30:83-7. 2001..The findings tend to suggest that the change of rota had little effect but that age may play a substantial role in responses to night work...
- Diagnosis of circadian rhythm sleep disordersDenis Martinez
Department of Internal Medicine, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul PortoAlegre, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 34:173-80. 2008Insomnia and excessive sleepiness are common in the investigation of sleep-disordered breathing. Circadian rhythm sleep disorders are perhaps the most often overlooked conditions in the differential diagnosis of these symptoms...
- Modafinil improves alertness, vigilance, and executive function during simulated night shiftsJames K Walsh
Sleep Medicine and Research Center, affiliated with St John s Mercy Medical Center and St Luke s Hospital, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Sleep 27:434-9. 2004..To assess the effect of 200 mg of modafinil compared to placebo on alertness, neurobehavioral performance, and executive function during 4 consecutive simulated night shifts...
- Low-dose repeated caffeine administration for circadian-phase-dependent performance degradation during extended wakefulnessJames K Wyatt
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Sleep 27:374-81. 2004....
- Extended nights, sleep loss, and recovery sleep in adolescentsM A Carskadon
E.P. Bradley Hospital, Department of Chronobiology and Sleep Research Laboratory, Brown University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, E. Providence, RI 02915, USA
Arch Ital Biol 139:301-12. 2001..Finally, this study provides an indication that the homeostatic sleep/wake process becomes less robust or sleep responsive during adolescent development, a phenomenon that may influence the delay of sleep common in adolescents...
- Melatonin for the treatment of disorders in circadian rhythm and sleep: could it form a basis for medication?Isaac Nir
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, PO Box 12065, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Receptors Channels 9:379-85. 2003..Furthermore, the possibility of its clinical application in maintenance of sleep under regular and environmental changes is discussed...
- The sleep and performance of train drivers during an extended freight-haul operationDavid Darwent
Centre for Sleep Research, University of South Australia, Level 7, Playford Building, City East Campus, Frome Road, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Appl Ergon 39:614-22. 2008..Overall, drivers incurred a significant cumulative sleep loss across the duration of the operation. Despite the deficit, drivers were able to sustain vigilance performance across the operation...
- Altered sleep regulation in leptin-deficient miceAaron D Laposky
Northwestern University, Center for Sleep and Circadian Biology, 2205 Tech Dr, Hogan 2 160, Evanston, IL 60208 3520, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R894-903. 2006..In combination, these results indicate that leptin deficiency disrupts the regulation of sleep architecture and diurnal rhythmicity...
- Transient total sleep loss in cerebral Whipple's disease: a longitudinal studyUlrich Voderholzer
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Sleep Res 11:321-9. 2002..The extent of sleep disruption in this case of organic insomnia was similar to cases of familial fatal insomnia, but was at least partially reversible with treatment...
- Overview of sleep & sleep disordersS Chokroverty
Department of Neuroscience, Divisions of Sleep Medicine and Clinical Neurophysiology at the NJ Neuroscience Institute at JFK Medical Center, Edison, NJ, USA
Indian J Med Res 131:126-40. 2010..sleep disorders, such as insomnia, obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome, narcolepsy-cataplexy syndrome, circadian rhythm sleep disorders (e.g., jet leg, shift work disorder, etc.) and parasomnias (e.g...
- Caffeine for the prevention of injuries and errors in shift workersKatharine Ker
Cochrane Injuries Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Room 280, North Courtyard, Keppel Street, London, UK, WC1E 7HT
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 5:CD008508. 2010..Jet lag and shift work disorder are circadian rhythm sleep disorders which result in sleepiness and can elevate injury risk...
- Approved and investigational uses of modafinil : an evidence-based reviewRaminder Kumar
Department of Family Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Drugs 68:1803-39. 2008..Modafinil may have some abuse/addictive potential although no cases have been reported to date...
- The clock as a focus of selective attention in those with primary insomnia: an experimental study using a modified Posner paradigmH Woods
Department of Psychology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Behav Res Ther 47:231-6. 2009..Possible clinical implications of attentional bias to sleep as a marker of psychopathology progression and treatment efficacy are discussed...
- The psychological aspects of patients with delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS)Masako Shirayama
Department of Psychiatry, National Center Hospital for Mental, Nervous and Muscular Disorders, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, Kodaira, Japan
Sleep Med 4:427-33. 2003..The current study attempts to define the psychological features of patients with delayed sleep-phase syndrome (DSPS)...
- Daytime polysomnography for early diagnosis and treatment of patients with suspected sleep-disordered breathingSeiko Miyata
Department of Pathophysiological Laboratory Sciences, Nagoya University, Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 20 Daiko Minami, Nagoya shi, 61 8673 Aichi, Japan
Sleep Breath 11:109-15. 2007..six patients were snoring, four had idiopathic hypersomnia due to a medical condition, and two had circadian rhythm sleep disorders. The sensitivity of dPSG for AHI was 81.0%, specificity was 100%, and accuracy was 83.5%...
- MELATONIN-LIGHT INTERACTION ON CIRCADIAN ACTIVITYMargarita Dubocovich; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Discovery of Selective MT1 Melatonin Receptor Ligands for Sleep DisordersMargarita L Dubocovich; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Novel CNS Target for Sleep-Wake and Psychiatric DisordersSCOTT MCNEAR THACHER; Fiscal Year: 2010..or entraining and consolidating signals from the SCN, will have widespread therapeutic potential in circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSDs) such as delayed sleep phase disorder (DSPD), jet lag, shift work sleep disorder, and dementia,..
- A chemical genetic approach to dissect CKId &CKIe function in circadian rhythmYing Hui Fu; Fiscal Year: 2011..We will also examine phenotypes resulting from reversibly inactivating these kinases in vivo. ..
- 2012 Pineal Cell Biology Gordon Research ConferenceLinks to circadian clocks, slVincent M Cassone; Fiscal Year: 2011..and interactions between these processes will ultimately provide novel treatment strategies for circadian rhythm sleep disorders and metabolic disease (such as diabetes, shift work disorder)...
- Sensitization of Human Circadian Responses to LightCharles A Czeisler; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Circadian rhythm sleep disorders form a distinct class of sleep disorders characterized by misalignment between the timing of sleep ..
- Sleep Length and Circadian Regulation in HumansHELEN JULIA BURGESS; Fiscal Year: 2012SUMMARY Millions of Americans suffer from circadian rhythm sleep disorders, which include shift work sleep disorder, jet lag, delayed sleep phase syndrome and possibly winter depression...
- Circadian Phase Assessments at HomeHELEN JULIA BURGESS; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): An estimated 23 million Americans, including adolescents and the elderly, suffer from circadian rhythm sleep disorders, such as delayed sleep phase disorder, advanced sleep phase disorder and winter depression...
- Characterization of familial advanced sleep phase syndromeLouis J Ptacek; Fiscal Year: 2012..Such insights will identify targets for developing better therapies for sleep disorders including shift work and jetlag. ..
- Intrinsic Circadian Period: Development Delayed Phase and Genetic AssociationsMary A Carskadon; Fiscal Year: 2012..Basic knowledge gained and discovery of genetic associations with these biological processes can help target ways to improve teen sleep and waking behavior and may even help with treatment for DSPS and other adolescent sleep disorders. ..
- Efficacy of melatonin treatment in a phase advance model of insomniaJeanne F Duffy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Melatonin supplements have been reported to be an effective treatment for circadian rhythm sleep disorders, including shift work dyssomnia, jet-lag, delayed sleep phase syndrome, and sleep disruption suffered ..
- Cellular Dissection of Neuropeptide Signaling in the Circadian Neural NetworkELLENA VAN DER SCHALIE MCCARTHY; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Neural basis for differential vulnerability to sleep deprivationHengyi Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..The project also has the potential to yield brain-based biomarkers that can be used to predict individual responses to sleep deprivation and its treatment. ..
- Treating sleep disruption in teens with millisecond light exposure during sleepJamie M Zeitzer; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Molecular, Cellular and Physiological Mechanisms of the Mammalian Circadian ClockAndrew C Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Completion of this research will improve our understanding of circadian rhythms and sleep and may point the way to new therapeutic targets for related disorders in humans. ..
- The role of DBT and NEMO-dependent phosphoproteome in regulating animal clockworkJOANNA CHUNGYEN CHIU; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. Familial Advanced Sleep Phase Syndrome (FASPS). ..
- Sleep Disorders Management, Health and Safety in PoliceCHARLES CZEISLER; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- DOSE-RESPONSE CURVE FOR MELATONIN IN THE ELDERLYAlfred Lewy; Fiscal Year: 2000..Body temperature will be analyzed with a two-way ANOVA for seven treatment conditions and eleven repeated measures time points. ..
- EXTRAOCULAR CIRCADIAN PHOTOTRANSDUCTION IN HUMANSScott Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (applicant's abstract): Circadian rhythm sleep disorders and seasonal affective disorder affect a large number of individuals across a wide age range...
- Workshop to Consider the Feasibility of a Sleep/Circadian Rhythms Gene ChipMARY CARSKADON; Fiscal Year: 2007..The workshop will also examine other methods and techniques that may help advance the genetic study of sleep and sleep disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Bioluminescence/Fluorescence Imaging System for Long-Term In Vivo RecordingHerman Wijnen; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, circadian clock defects have been directly associated with intrinsic, circadian rhythm sleep disorders, cancer, and metabolic disorders...
- GENETIC VARIANTS IN CIRCADIAN RHYTHM SLEEP DISORDERSDANIEL KRIPKE; Fiscal Year: 2006..In circadian rhythm sleep disorders (CRSD), the patient's preferred sleeping time is malsynchronized with the sleep phase controlled ..
- Circadian & Genetic Evaluation of Extreme Sleep TimingJEANNE DUFFY; Fiscal Year: 2009..such misalignment between sleep timing and the 24-h social and physical environment can lead to the circadian rhythm sleep disorders Advanced or Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (ASPS, DSPS)...
- CLOCK RESETTING WITH EXTRAOCULAR LIGHT--DOSE RESPONSEHENRY SAVAGE; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract): Circadian rhythm sleep disorders affect a large number of people across a wide age range...
- PHASE SHIFTING EFFECTS OF MELATONIN IN WINTER DEPRESSIONAlfred Lewy; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed study should further our understanding of light melatonin and biological rhythms in winter depression. ..
- PHOTIC SENSITIVITY OF THE CIRCADIAN ENTRAINMENT PATHWAYDWIGHT NELSON; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Effect of Vitamin B12 on the Human Circadian PacemakerJEANNE DUFFY; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Adaptation of circadian responses to light treatmentJeanne F Duffy; Fiscal Year: 2010..If properly timed, it is effective in the treatment of circadian phase misalignment as seen in circadian rhythm sleep disorders (e.g...
- Technology Enhanced Psychophysiological Treatment of Shift Work Sleep DisorderChristopher Alsten; Fiscal Year: 2007..A physiological training found to be useful with jetlagged USAF pilots may help such individuals. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sleep Disturbance in Marijuana WithdrawalKaren Bolla; Fiscal Year: 2004..New treatments for alleviating the unpleasant symptoms of marijuana withdrawal would likely increase the number of heavy marijuana users who successfully complete treatment. ..
- Potentiation of photic circadian clock phase shiftsMary Harrington; Fiscal Year: 2007..The progress of cancer is slower in patients with enhanced circadian rhythmicity, a benefit that might accrue from better circadian entrainment [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Dual Transcriptional and High Content Assay for CryptochromeJohn Hogenesch; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, successful completion of the proposed research would provide a tool to address an important scientific question, as well as lay the groundwork for mechanism-based perturbation of the clock. ..
- Genetics of Morning/Evening Types in the Blind/SightedJonathan Emens; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Society for Research on Biological Rhythms MeetingRae Silver; Fiscal Year: 2003..A similar request is made for the 9th meeting, to be held in 2004. ..
- Identification of the circadian clock proteomeJason DeBruyne; Fiscal Year: 2005..g. jet lag, shift work) and more serious conditions such as circadian rhythm sleep disorders and other clock-related psychological disorders (e.g. seasonal affective disorder).
- Contributions of sleep/rhythms/fatigue to "chemobrain"Sonia Ancoli Israel; Fiscal Year: 2009..The reported phenomena of chemobrain will be examined to see if it is related to the complaint of fatigue or sleep disruptions, both of which are known to contribute to decreases in cognitive functioning. ..
- FATIGUE, SLEEP AND CIRCADIAN RHYTHMS IN BREAST CANCERSonia Ancoli Israel; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results will provide a scientific basis for future intervention studies, particularly studies with light therapy which can re-synchronize rhythms. ..
- PHOTOPERIODIC CONTROL OF REPRODUCTION: EFFECTS OF AGEFred Turek; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- STRESS EFFECTS ON SLEEP: INFLUENCE OF GENES AND GENDERFred Turek; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Basic Mechanisms of Delayed Sleep Phase SyndromeJAMES WYATT; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., constant routine protocol), and initiating the first step in programmatic research for this investigator (basic mechanisms, diagnostic protocols, and evidence-based treatments for circadian phase disorders, beginning with DSPS). ..
- SIESTA NAPS IN OLDER PEOPLETimothy Monk; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Drug Effects on Behavior: Workplace ImplicationsCarl Hart; Fiscal Year: 2008..Together, the data from the proposed studies will have substantial public health impact and will serve both educational and public policy functions. ..
- Intranasal Methamphetamine: A Pharmacotherapy ModelCarl Hart; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Young Adolescent Sleep-Smart Pacesetter ProgramAmy Wolfson; Fiscal Year: 2008..g., behavior, health) on these relationships. ..
- Sleep Disturbances in People with Cancer and CaregiversAnn Berger; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- SLEEP HOMEOSTASIS AND STIMULANT DRUGS OF ABUSEEmmanuel Mignot; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Mechanism Underlying the Effects of Blue Light in HumansSTEVEN LOCKLEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Circadian rhythms and sleep in familial DSPS and ASPSPhyllis Zee; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- TREATMENTS FOR INSOMNIAJerome Yesavage; Fiscal Year: 2003..This five-year application will ultimately include 90 treatment subjects aged >60 years (three groups of 30 each). ..
- Teen Weekend Sleep: Circadian Timing, Performance, MoodSTEPHANIE CROWLEY; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study may further the understanding of risk factors for poor daytime function and will evaluate sleep behaviors that may attenuate these decrements in teens. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Light Treatment for Sleep/Wake Disturbances ADJerome Yesavage; Fiscal Year: 2008..Outcome will be documented by objective circadian activity rhythm parameters and standard sleep/wake measures both assessed by actigraphy. ..
- MANAGEMENT OF SLEEP-ACTIVITY DISRUPTION IN ALZHEIMERSGlenna Dowling; Fiscal Year: 2001..Differences will be determined in the main effects between groups, main effects within groups over time, and the interaction between group and time. Post-hoc contrasts (Tukey) will be performed as needed. ..
- Individual Differences in Response to Sleep DeprivationHANS VAN DONGEN; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Melatonin Supplementation in Hypertensive PatientsFRANK SCHEER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, supplementation of suppressed nighttime melatonin levels may lead to a novel strategy in the treatment of essential hypertension. [unreadable]..
- Probing Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder with LightBarbara Parry; Fiscal Year: 2007..These investigations will provide further insight into the pathophysiology of PMDD and other depressive disorders in women, and serve as a basis for refining light treatment interventions in the future. ..
- Photic and Nonphotic Input to the Human Circadian SystemSTEVEN LOCKLEY; Fiscal Year: 2008..limits of entrainment for non-photic synchronizers in order to potentially evaluate the efficacy of such time cues for treatment of circadian rhythm sleep-wake disorders in both the blind and sighted populations [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE ROLE OF CYTOKINES IN SLEEPINESS AND SLEEP APNEAAlexandros Vgontzas; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies collectively will provide additional evidence for a role of TNFa and IL-6 in EDS and OSA and lay the foundation for the development of novel therapeutic interventions. ..
- Genetic Analysis of Extreme Circadian/Sleep PhenotypesAnne Marie Chang; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Biological Rhythms in Postpartum DepressionBarbara Parry; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study would serve as the basis of future studies in which treatments designed to correct these underlying abnormalities in circadian rhythms, and restore them to those of NC women, thereby would improve mood in DP. ..
- Fatigue & Breast Cancer-A Behavioral Sleep InterventionAnn Berger; Fiscal Year: 2006..Statistical analyses include RM-ANOVA, generalized estimation equation methodology and multiple regression analysis. Results may inform development of clinical guidelines for fatigue management during adjuvant CT. ..
- Sleep Disordered Breathing, APOE and Lipid MetabolismEmmanuel Mignot; Fiscal Year: 2005..With lipid metabolism being critical to cardiovascular risk, this application will also trigger further studies focusing on cardiovascular impact with adequate control of SDB. ..
- Role of Hypocretin in Metabolic Effects of Sleep LossEmmanuel Mignot; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will be critical to extend our understanding of the association between chronic sleep loss, metabolism and body weight regulation. ..
- TREATMENT OF CIRCADIAN SLEEP DISORDERS WITH BRIGHT LIGHTSteven W Lockley; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- RATIONAL PHARMACOTHERAPY OF PRIMARY INSOMNIADaniel Buysse; Fiscal Year: 2004..The Principal Investigator will mentor trainees in analyses of existing data, design and implementation of the clinical trial, described above, and new studies designed by the trainees themselves. ..